Speaker 1: And now move the sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 1: Welcome to move the sticks, DJ Buck with you and excited to have the new head football coach at Appalachian State University, dow Login's joining the show. Coach. How are we doing?
Speaker 2: Doing great? Wonderful to be sitting this office right now, and so much respect for the people that have come before me, like you that every day I walk down the hall and I see your face on the on the wall. So unbelievable opportunity. I'm so excited to be on with you guys today.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get We're gonna get through the whole background and what's got you to this point. But I do have to ask you what was the what was the biggest surprise for you so far since you've been there.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, So I had an opportunity to meet with all the players, the previous staff, a bunch of donors, a bunch of supporters, But just the biggest surprise is how much pride that the people have in this place and whether the community the region that it is a place that is loved. There's a very high standard here and the expectation is to win, and you just you walk by and it's all these pictures of rings and conference championships and all these great alumni it's been. You just feel it's really hard to be in a place that they don't understand what winning looks like. It's just it's hard to create it and you can sell a vision. But intrigue me about this place is they know how to win, and winning is really important around here, and they do it the right way.
Speaker 3: You know, coaching and thinking about that, doing it the right way, and really a different frontier that you're stepping into college landscape. Like you hear everyone talk about how crazy it is with the port and the different timelines and those things. So how challenging has it been to manage all of the portal stuff while also trying to assemble the staff and put together all of the other things that you have to do as a new head coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a challenge. And I don't know if the calendar is the way it should be, but it is what it is. So right now, this is what we're worried about our own players, keeping them, retaining the ones we want to retain. You're dealing with in Io, which is NFL free AC with no salary cap. You're trying to assess what's in the portal doesn't make you better. But here's where you can make mistakes. If you don't research a kid, if you don't talk to the trainer of the place he's coming from, you don't talk to the strength coach, if you don't talk to the high school coach, you're not being thorough. So you got to be thorough and go through the process of evaluation to make sure you're doing all those things right. And because you're so limited and everything, it's speed dating. On top of trying to figure out is there people on the staff you want to keep or trying to get people at other programs that you want to come be part of your staff. Some people are still playing, some people in a college football playoff. So it's a challenging time as a college coach, but it's why we sign up for these opportunities to figure it out, and it's get the calendar is what it is. You'd love to make some edits to it, but you make the most of the the situation and there there is definitely a lot going.
Speaker 1: On after after a decade plus in the NFL. Uh, you go back to Arkansas, get a couple of years coaching there, then a very successful stint as O see there at South Carolina. How beneficial was having that little buffer college experience before you step into this role as a head coach at the collegiate level versus maybe just coming straight from the NFL and jumping right into that gig.
Speaker 2: You know, it was beneficial. There was also between the Jets when they let the head coach go for about a four month a cup of coffee. Wuld coach Franklint Penn State, Okay. And so when we we had an unbelievable general manager at the New York Jets, I learned a ton from Joe Douglas obviously about the evaluation process, and he is a bright evaluator. He is a very talented person, a stud of a human being. Learned a ton from him. So it was fortunate to be around him. And then you know, we're trying to make the transition into the NFL and you go to places and you see, you know, the the structure between the ownership, the general manager, the head coach, and you know, got really intrigued with college football and so coach frankl had an opportunity, and I wasn't sure. I didn't want to take the job. It's kind of like, hey, I'm still getting paid by the Jets. A couple of NFL opportunities, but I never coached in college. I had an interest in the pageantry, the tradition, the history of college football. So I went to with coach Franklin for about four months. Learned about this guy's created a consistency at a program for a long period of time, and he's really bright and he's a forward thinker. And I watched how he grinded recruiting, and this guy's Freddy Krueger recruiting. It's talked about every day, and I mean I remember walking to the staff meetings every morning at seven fifteen and he's asking, He's going around to the Hey, who'd you talk to last night? Who'd you talk to? This is who I talked to. And when the head coach recruits the way he recruits, it's no secret why they've built longevity over a long period of time. And then Sam Pittman calls me. He's the head coach of ARCS. I'm an alum and played there, and I've never met him in my life and he's telling me, hey, come come to Arkansas and helped me out. And I said, Coach, I don't want to if if it doesn't work out, I don't if I if I stayed for a year, I don't want to be mad at me. He's that you're doing your university of favor if you come back. So as a guy, if y'all need me, I'm gonna I'll come for one year. That's all I'm promising. And so I go to Arkansas and Coach Franklin was great through the process. He's like, hey, look, if you want to do this, you need to go prove you and recruit in the SEC. We know you can coach. You've been a coordinator in the NFL Ford differteam. Blah blah blah blah. You got to go prove you recruit in the SEC. So we go to Arkansas as a tight end coach and for about nine weeks, I think I was the twenty four to seven, like number one recruiter of the year, whatever that means. And I'm I had a chip on my shoulder because there are people that, hey, in this guy recruit He's only coach in the NFL, and I just watched Freddy Krueger for four months recruit and so I'm like, hey, we can just outwork people and signed players like we're willing to do more than the next guy. So go there and it was signed a great class and I liked it. So I stayed the second year at Arkansas. I enjoyed the players, I enjoyed the atmosphere college football. And then the opportunity came to South Carolina and it was a coordinator job, and it took me a little bit of time to make a decision. I was talking to two or three different SEC schools by the coordinator job, but there was something about South Carolina and Spencer Ratler. They didn't really intrigue me because of Spence. So I go there and Spence has a good year. I think we're third in the conference in passing, and we developed this. I remember I was telling the recruit this today, probably about this time two years ago, this big six, two two hundred and fifteen pound guy walks in my office and I'm like, hey, what's up. And he's like, Hey, Paul, I mean maybe I should just transfer. He just the balls had found me an unbelievable country kid. I said, give me to the night. I said, because I think I might see something in you that you don't see yourself. And he gives us till May and I'll watch him. He's the hardest worker on the team. He's out there NonStop competing, bought into everything we asked him. And he'd only had one hundred and seven yards for his career. And his name is exaber L again and he won the first round. But he's just extremely talented kid that bought into everything we asked him to do. And a great story about x H. We're sitting down draft day and it's the NFL Draft first round and he's he's projected you ever late first, early second, And on draft Day he's out on the I'm watching looking at my window and I'm watching him and Leonor Sellers run roundes on draft Day, and I just it was who the kid is? He earned everything he got and just had a great time at the South Carolina And the second year, we have a quarterback that no one knows and everyone's picking us to win four games. And when I got there South Carolina, they weren't recruiting him. He was committed to Syracuse and I watched his tape and Daniel appreciate this about the recruiting process and evaluation process. He'd won everywhere. He'd been great soccer player, score like twenty nine goals in high school, which great. Yeah, great feet, which obviously there's a comparison to quarterback play. I think boxers. People at the boxers because they always have a Bay soccer player's great feet move in the pocket. And he had a pedigree of winning, and he'd overcome hard, he'd tore a cl overcame hard things, and he was just this roll, roll kid. And I'm like, I walk in, I'm like, hey, why have we not offered this kind of like, well, do you like him? I'm like yeah. So we go on and we got about ten days to sign him. He's committed to Syracuse. And this kid, he's not asked about nil, he's not asking about recruiting trips. He's asked about protections, can you change protections? What's the passing game look like? How are you going to develop me? What's your year round process for developing quarterbacks? And we get him and and no one knows about him struggles for about three games this year. It was choppy. The first three or four games of season he played Battigains Old Dominion, but then the last six weeks of season he gets as hot as any quarterback and in the in the conference, in the country. I think he's the best quarterback in the country right now. And just an unbelievable time getting to coach little Horse Sellers. I mean, I'm unbelievable. I tell in the interview process, so I don't know if I've told DJ this or not, but they're like, hey, what would hold you off from taking this job? It's a state like all the winds and tradition and the brand, Like there's one thing I got to call the Norse Sellers and tell him I'm leaving, oh, and that that was hard, and it's like you talked about the only thing that you struggle with me. I have an unbelievable, unbelievable opportunity to sit in a chair like this and represent the people that have come before me at this place. But to make that phone call, but what I would it's a blessing to have him in our lives and texta with him twenty minutes ago about the two minute drill practice yesterday, because obviously I can't be there, and I'm here working and recruiting, but just so so fortunate to have the people in my life that I've had, the mentors I've had, and so blessed to be right here right now.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take quick break. We'll be right back with diw Logins.
Speaker 3: You know, Coach, There's so many things out of that little conversation, But what I'm hearing is we can talk about portal and a new way of building the team, but it still seems like relationships matter. So as you're thinking about building your program and we're talking about building it over time, how do you balance that, Hey, we have so many high school kids, we have so many portal guys, I have the current team. How do you build all that but to get everyone to really be a part of the team and not a bunch of mercenaries trying to seek their own individual success.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is. I want the whole thing to be built on two things. That's relationships and competition. And relationships are all only build a great trust. And you have to build related In twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five, you have to do old relationships where they really struggle to walk in here and say, coach, I want to check out the transfer port and there might be more out there. And we've had a lot of success here in the last you know, a week or two. We've kept a lot of them. And we've got some kids jumping back in just because the other ones are talking about, Hey, this feels different and there's real relationships, and I'm down. They're they're barging in the office. I got meeting with the recruits and they're barging in the office. They knock it pop in. I'm like, hey, hold on now, like you want you want that kind of you want where they want to hang around, they want to come sit on your couch and talk, because that's what's going to keep them here. And when these these SEC schools start trying to tamper with your roster, like you have to have great relationships and it is a it's a great question buck to the how do you build this thing is And we look at like the NFL, The NFL model of high school is the high school recruiting is a draft. The portal is createc and d J can appreciate this because he learned from the Godfather's scouting Ozzie Newsoen the Ravens and Steelers are about the last thirty years. I know you probably don't like me mentioned the Steelers, but the last twenty years have been the most consistent teams in the NFL. And they built consistency through nailing the draft and nailing the evaluation process. And then you supplement with freeation, which is a transfer portal. And once you're if you're doing a great job of evaluation with the high school kids, then it's about roster attention. And unfortunately we don't have There are no boundaries, so you're not tied to contract. There is no salary cap. So you better have great relationships to when it gets when it gets people trying to get into your your play current players, dms, and their high school coaches and their trainers, you better have great relationships where there's open lines of communication to continue to pursue those guys there and keep them here.
Speaker 1: Well, how is the conversation along those lines is I've always been curious about that. The guy comes in your office and you you look around in that building now and you can see the number of players have come out of that program that've played in the NFL. How do you relay the message to a kid to try and explain it tactfully that hey, I know that this X team has offering you a little more than we can offer you now, but you're literally stepping over a dollar, an NFL dollar to pick up a nickel, Like, how do you have that conversation? How does that go?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's great question. We've had probably ten or fifteen SEC players in here, and you remind them, you know, the the SEC, the NIL is real there and it's been real for a long time. There they just do a public under But you also, we have a cell here that a lot of teams don't have, and that's seventeen years in the NFL and what that looks like and tailoring systems around skill sets and you know, we take we talk about what we did for Spencer. We were we were third in the conference in passing with Spencer. Then al Asodden, we get Rocket Sanders and Lenor's or Rock Sanders and Lenoris Sellers, and we're third in rushing and we went from being an outside zone team to a tight zone and gap gap team. So it's about building, uh, building systems, and you know, making the NFL the NFL piece of this attractive to them. It's also you know, I had a conversation with a kid this morning, like, Hey, you can go to this SCCC team or this SEC team, but you're coming from an SEC team, and you know what the bells and whistles are. You know what it looks like to play in front of one hundred thousand. But remember the feeling when you're driving through that cookout line with your girlfriend to get that milkshake, and you're really excited about winning that game, but you want to do more and you want to impact more. So there's an opportunity here as well to develop your skill set. And that's why I think we're going to be. We're in the We've had some kids here that in the past they haven't had here in the recruiting process and getting on visits, and I think we are. Our staff's done a nice job getting people here. We got to sign, you know, closing these guys out and sign sign them. But we have we have lots to sell here.
Speaker 3: Look it is it is a fascinating time when when I hear you talk about that as a head coach and thinking about like more responsibilit these on you play. You come from being an offensive coordinator, play call and all those things. How can you anticipate managing all that running the entire team, but knowing that the offense has always been your baby. Do you think you have a Is it going to be a challenge for you to leave that to go focus on all parts of the team. No.
Speaker 2: And I think you deal with the people. The people. You strind yourself by good people, and you play out their strengths, and if someone's better running the offense, you let them run the offense. If you make sure that you define roles. I think part of the advantage of being the NFL you understand the importance of having a good general manager and having a guy that can handle a cap and have good evaluators. The half the job of the head coach now is to evaluate the evaluators. Do you got to know which assistant coaches that are really good evaluators and you can trust and can project versus the guys that are really good at the solicitation part of recruiting and can and work really hard on those things. So I think it's managing people, and it's it's figuring out strengths and weaknesses. I think that's always the key to any any leadership uh role. It's also getting people that have the same vision of where the program is and what you know. DJ can tell you this and I learned it from one of his good friends, samau Washburn. It's you got to create a culture of when you go talk about the mashed potatoes, you got to say, hey, those are purple mashed potatoes, because that's your greatness scale, and purple's good and red's elite, and blue blues elite, Red's reds good and purple's average. Well, these are purple mashed potatoes. And you create a vision where everyone's talking the same but hey, we got blue state. And when you're talking about a player, you're talking about, hey, Leonora Sellers has blue feet and he's you know, he's got red arm arm town or he's got you know, red accuracy. So you're creating a culture of alignment, and you're creating a culture of a so so you can create the same vision for everything. And the only way to do it is I remember with being washes All flying coach with the Bears and Dolphins, and he'd walk in by now mashed potatoes are purple. Today, I knew exactly what that was so I was going down. I don't want I don't want average mashed potatoes right now. The common language, it's a common it's a common vision, and it's how you handle the ups and downs of this. I had a recruiting here today and asked, hey, coach, how do you handle uh buck to your point of what does it look like when you know things aren't going great and people think about South Carolina, they remember the nine wins, They forget about the three losses we had in a row. And we lose the Auburn Alabama on a two point conversion, we miss a throw, we lose to l s U where everyone in the country's talking about officiating, and we got beat by all mysts who just beat us. And then how do you keep that thing together and win six in a row? So it's it still comes down to people, and it comes down to relationships, and it kind of comes down to trust.
Speaker 1: Coach, if you had a chance to get any biscuits yet, have we got a chance to get to the Daniel boone in yet? Have we got a chance to really?
Speaker 2: We have a bath and the kids were here, they'll be back tonight and we we're going to try to go by there and it was closed. It closed at eight o'clock one night. But I've hit it. I've had a couple other spots. Okay, Yeah, So it's the food is good. Excited about that. I know how to get to the hotel and the football building. That's about us nice.
Speaker 1: It's a blue biscuit. I'm just going to tell you right now. It's a bit looks like, Yeah, that's fantastic. Hey, coach, I'm I'm so excited for you. I'm rooting for you. Uh, it's going to be an exciting uh chapter here. And one of the things I got to tell you that's exciting about where college football is right now and people, you know, maybe don't love the way it's changed. I'll tell you what. Everything you can offer everything to a kid that comes to app State, there is an opportunity to get in the playoff to try and win a national championship. I never thought in a million years that that could be something you could sell at a place like app State, but you absolutely can now. But why set your your sites any lower than that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I agree on Henderson, and you don't want to be the unbelievable past history that you guys have created here, which wow, what a I mean, it's awesome, But don't let's not set our limits and our vision to just what we have accomplished. Let's push this thing further. It's ever been pushed before. So there is an opportunity to do really special things and add on the culture that you guys have already created of winning and so so much credit to you guys or what you have have created here, and it's it is a brand now that is nationally known and you can accomplish anything you want to accomplish right here.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. This has been fun. Best of luck and recruiting. I know you're busy, get the staff finalized, get the get the roster going here. Excited for you and let's catch up soon.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. Make sure get back for it back here this spring.
Speaker 1: Now, I know I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do it. Daniel Kilgar Center, he was here at the press conference. We got to make sure we get all you got. Dexter Cookeley has already been in my office to see me. What a great visit that was. Believe he's A's and I grew up in Dallas Texas and the Dallas Cowboys. I'm watching this. I'm like he comes to introduce himself, I'm like dexter, I know who you are. I know about that Aaron Smith. I know about you before you knew about like I know you. So it was an honored to have him. But we got to get you back over here soon. And you know I got I had to walk by and see pictures of you all the time.
Speaker 1: So well, I'm all my way. I'll see up there this spring. Man. We appreciate you, coach.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go. Fun conversation there, selfish, I always love getting a chance to talk app State football. It is a rich tradition, rich culture, and am excited for doll Logins get this opportunity, first time head coach, but a lot of experience and as you can tell from that conversation, a ton of energy and excitement about what's in store and what's ahead there for the football program on the mountain up there and boon for Appalachian State. Hope you guys have enjoyed this conversation. Hope you enjoyed this pod. We'll see you next time right here on move the sticks,