Speaker 1: Hey, you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 2: And I'm Joe McCormick, and it's Saturday. It's vault time. This is an older episode of the show that originally published May twenty six, twenty twenty two, and it's part two of our series on the Cauldron. Hope you enjoy.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert.
Speaker 2: Lamb and I'm Joe McCormick, and we're back with part two of our series about cauldrons.
Speaker 1: That's right. In the last episode, we talked about cauldrons and mostly an introduction into the idea of the cauldron is both a mundane tool for heating water and making soup, but also getting in a little bit to the idea that, okay, this is something that also ends up taking on sacred and supernatural characteristics in various traditions. But for the most part we talked about soup technology, which in and of itself is pretty fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we pondered the foggy distant prehistory of salmon soups in Japan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a lot of this episode is going to look at the cauldron in Chinese traditions and in Chinese history, in mythology. So in Chinese culture and history, the ancient cauldron is known as the ding, a cooking cauldron with two looped handles and three or four legs. The three legged ones tend to have a more of a circular pot, while the four legged ones tend to have a rectangular pot and appear more like what we might think of as a chest or something in Western traditions. It's maybe a little less recognizable as a cauldron if you're basing your expectations on cauldrons in Western traditions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it made me wonder, like, wait a minute, why are pots always round? I mean, they don't have to be. So this is a pot that's got corners and it looks like something that link would pop open and pull a treasure out of. Oh it's the hook shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean these are ultimately artifacts that have a number of supernatural associations with them. But in terms of the actual Chinese cauldrons or ding that have survived. For instance, one example that came up in my research is from the Warring States period around This is from around four to thirty three BCE found in the Leodoun Tombs in central China. Upon its discovery, it still had ox bones inside it and soot on its base, meaning that it was apparently used for cooking, perhaps as part of a funerary feast. It was made of bronze and also include did lifting hooks and a ladle lifting hooks?
Speaker 2: Does that mean something you'd like put some hooks in to move it out of the fire?
Speaker 1: Correct in this In this case, now, when we get into later discussions of cauldrons, you also get into the idea of flesh hooks for your cauldron. They have to do with, obviously, for the manipulating a flesh, you know, some sort of meat that you're cooking inside of said cauldron. But these I believe, Yeah, we're just to move the cauldron around while it was heated.
Speaker 2: Okay, So a cauldron, we know, can be used for the chores that sustain everyday life, cooking food and washing and so forth. But in Chinese traditions, cauldrons have a much more culturally and religiously charged significance. Even though they could be used for those same mundane tasks, they might also decide the very fate of your existence.
Speaker 1: That's right. And I do want to stress that a lot of this will also end up lining up with traditions in the West as well. That will get into much later. But yeah, this thing that for all intents and purposes is about heating water for soup or maybe for laundry or something like that ends up taking on greater significance. So in Chinese tradition, the ding became associated with power and land ownership, and it was used not only for food production and also for storage. It was also used to make sacrifices to the gods.
Speaker 2: And the idea of gods here might also well include ancestral spirits, right, the sort of a blurring of the distinction there that, like appeasing one's ancestors, was believed to play a role in determining your fortune right now.
Speaker 1: One of the sources I was looking to for this episode is an article titled Visions of Hell in Asia from twenty eighteen published in the Journal of the Oriental Society of Australia by scholar Paul Morablai, and in it the author rites quote in ancient China, the cauldron was the alchemical recipient par excellence for the sacrifices animals and humans required in order to transmute them into immortal creatures when mixed with certain minerals and metals. Now, I want to stress that he's talking very broadly here. This is not to imply that all of these various cauldrons, including the specific one I just mentioned, was used for anything like human sacrifice. But of course, human sacrifice is something that one encounters in the ancient traditions of every human culture. Just about so. But yeah, this idea that we touched on very briefly in the last episode, that what is a cauldron, what is a cooking pot? But other than something that transforms one thing into another state.
Speaker 2: Right, so, it might transform say a tough piece of game meat into a nutritious broth and a much more tender piece of meat. And it might transform various ingredients living and dead into a bunch of fumes, a pillar of smoke, or a burnt offering that would be seen as pleasing to the gods or to one's ancestors.
Speaker 1: Correct. Now, when it comes to the sacred thing, there is, like we mentioned earlier, it also has this prestige with it. It signifies power, and it can also signify divine right of rule. And in this there's no greater example than the nine cauldrons of You the Great. Now we've discussed You the Great before and stuff to blow your mind. See as the legendary ruler of the Shia dynasty of the second and third millennium BCE. Born from the belly of his father's corpse, he's said to have quelled the Great floods and established dynastic rule in China. His control of the flood is attributed differently in different tales, but I think we can summarize it as entailing the defeat of monsters, the possible Promethean theft of the sacred self, renewing soil from the gods, the help of various gods, and also the use of damn and irrigation technology. So he's you know, he's a culture bearer. And oh, he's also said to have measured the earth, and in some accounts he stands eight feet tall. But the other feet attributed to You the Great is that he also cast the nine cauldrons upon rising to power, as yang An and Turner discussed in the Handbook of Chinese Mythology quote, those cauldrons had the divine function to teach people to distinguish between faithfulness and treachery, and to keep evils and demons from harming people. So they were treated as national treasures.
Speaker 2: And I believe it's that this story is related to the idea that the cauldron itself is a sort of symbol of power, both in a literal and metaphorical sense, like that in the literal sense that you would have to be a rich and powerful person in ancient China to own one or more of these cauldrons, and also that the cauldron was kind of like a symbol of some one's power or political dominance.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And in this case, there are nine of them, because there were nine cauldrons for the nine provinces, but then nine also had cosmologically important connections as well. There's also this tradition of saying that the nine cauldrons sometimes are scattered and lost, and it was said that whoever wished to claim imperial power and rain by the mandate of heaven would need to collect all these nine cauldrons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I recall reading somewhere that there's an expression means something like seeking after cauldrons, or something that means like ambition for power.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. There are a number of different sayings in Chinese tradition that allude to cauldrons and make use of the motif. In the book Chinese Mythology and Introduction and Burial ads that while you the Great forge the vessels, they are said to have been cast by feeling the Dragon, god of wind. The cauldrons could and would change weight and size, or even vanish completely or reappear at will quote according to the virtue or decadence of the dynasty possessing them. Whoa, so yeah, this gets pretty interesting. For instance, if a dynasty is virtuous, then the cauldrons would become so massive that they would be almost impossible to lift. It was said that when the child people over through the shung, the child's virtue was such that it took ninety thousand men to lift a single cauldron. But then when the chin overthrew the chow, one of the cauldrons just like immediately flew into the river.
Speaker 2: Oh so the inanimate objects have a will of their own. It's almost like the one ring, except that yes, way, the cauldrons are virtuous, whereas the ring is wicked.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, it's also specifically noted that it is the weight that is important, not the size. So you might have a dynasty that is corrupt, and the cauldrons might look enormous, but they weigh little, and thus signifying that you know that they are morally impoverished. But then the opposite is also true. You might have a noble dynasty and the cauldrons are very small, but it would take like ninety thousand men to lift a single one of them, because such is the virtue of these rulers.
Speaker 2: Oh, that resonates in a very pleasing way, because you imagine, like an evil dynasty having these giant cauldrons that are easily blown over by the wind. Yeah, big surface area and very little mass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it works on so many levels. They are said to have been cast in iron and also said to be illustrated with images of the gods and forged from metals offered up by the nine regional stewards. There is also discussion of them being important to distinguish malign creatures, which are sometimes translated as goblins and trolls. So I'm not sure if that's meant to mean that the cauldrons also depicted these quote unquote adverse beings, but because it doesn't seem like it's explicitly stated. But at the very least they had images of gods on them. Now, as for the use of cauldrons and sacrifice, an burl includes a wonderful passage from the ancient text the Book of Songs or the Classic of Poetry. The passage in question is celebrating the agricultural culture hero and god Huji aka Lord Millet. Here is part of it, in translation, of course, describing the sacrifice, our sacrifice. What is it like some pound, some baiale, some sift, some tread. We wash it soaking, soaking wet. We steam it, piping, piping hot. Then we plan with thoughtful care, gathering southern wood, offering rich fat. We take a ram to make the wayside sacrifice, roasting and broiling to usher in the new year. The bronze pots filled the brim, the bronze pots and cauldrons. As soon as there aroma rises up odd on high. Enjoys it with pleasure. The rich fragrance is right and proper. For Hoji inaugurated the sacrifice with no fault or blemish. His people have continued it to the present day.
Speaker 2: I like the line on here about as the aroma rises up, God on high enjoys it with pleasure. Because that that is not unique to this poem or to Chinese religious traditions. That it's a it's a common feature of many religions mentioning God enjoying God, or God's enjoying the smell of a burning sacrifice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, there's a lot of this that is that is ultimately a universal. It's fascinating. Now for the second episode in a row, I'm going to also cite a children's book. This is another children's book. This one is titled Two of Everything, and Chinese American author Lily toy Hong wrote this It's fun, and she credits it is being based on a Chinese folk tale, and I'd love to read another telling of it, but I haven't been able to find one. I'm sure it's out there. But it does involve some sort of a magical pot or cauldron in this story, which is which has some some wonderful illustrations an elderly couple in China. And this has a historical setting, by the way, so it's not I don't think it's supposed to be like modern China. But this elderly couple, they happen to happen upon this pot or this cauldron, and they quickly find out that anything you drop or place inside the cauldron comes out duplicated. So you can imagine how this story goes. You know, food, gold gets duplicated, and finally somebody's going to fall in that cauldron. The old man falls in the cauldron, and now there are two old men. So the story ultimately ends on a happy note, with the couple deciding, Okay, we're going to put the pot away. We're not going to use it unless we absolutely have to. But by this point they're living side by side with their own doppelgangers who have a replica of everything that they have. So I was looking around to try and find another version of this story and I was not able to. But in the process, I found another story that includes cauldron's as a key plot point that I think will transition into something else we're going to talk about in a bit. It's a wonderful little story called the Wizard's Lesson. This story appeared in the book Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies, edited and translated by Moss Roberts, a professor of East Asian Studies at NYU. The original title is Tuzu Chun and it is included in the Suswan Kwi Lu, an early ninth century CE collection compiled by Li Fu Yin, though there seemed to be some disagreements on the exact date of when this original text was published or written. This story is awesome, yeah, I think at times per play. I've seen some online like some sort of blog style discussions where people are like, what is this about? But it has some wonderful wizardry in it. So basically the story goes like this. We have this character too, Zuchun, and he's a scoundrel. Basically, he's spent all his money, He's burned all his friends and family members, you know, borrowing money and so forth. So he finds himself on the street with nothing, and then up comes an old man and ask him, hey, look there, buddy, how much money would it take to set you right? Like how many strands of coins will it take? And tuzu Chun names a sum and the old man just kind of scoffs, and he's like, oh, you should probably go higher than that, and he gives him another sum, and the old man agrees, and he gives him enough cash on the spot for a night's rest somewhere and says, meet me tomorrow in the market and I'll give you the full amount. So this goes exactly as promised, and the next day he receives his first millions from the old man. Like it's it's a true fortune, enough for him to have a real proper start at rebuilding everything in his life, and then some. But you can imagine what happens next. He immediately blows it all on a lavish lifestyle, and before long he's back on the street again. Then here comes the old man approaches him again, and this basically the same thing happens once more, only this time he squanders an even greater fortune. The third time, however, the old man warns him that if an even greater fortune won't do the trick this time, then there's clearly no helping him. So finally Tuzu Chun has a change of heart. He finally realizes, Okay, this old man has been so kind and patient with me and just overly generous, and I've done nothing for him. He has this change of heart and realizes that he shouldn't be spending this all on himself. He should try and do some good in the world. And he tells the old Man that he is going to do this. He's going to go help the widows and the orphans, he's going to make men's with family members, and then at the end he's going to meet up with the old man wants more and do right by him as well.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so you might expect this to be the end of the story. He's learned his lesson.
Speaker 1: But no, it keeps going and I I, you know, this might be a situation where you have sort of combined stories, you know, to become one at some point. But what happens next is the old man he he you know, he goes out in the world, he does all the things he's going to do, and then he meets up with the old Man again. The old Man takes him up to the mountain to a splendid residence and inside here's an alchemist furnace, guarded by a white tiger and a black dragon. It's written that jade white fairy women stand by. And the old man is no longer dressed like the old man that he met in the market. Those those three times. No, now he's dressed in yellow and scarlet robes. He's dressed as a dallist wizard.
Speaker 2: Oh so immediately at this point, I'm like picturing him as played by Chinying Lamb from the Mister Vam movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that would be a wonderful stern performance of this character. So at this point, he presents tuzoo Chone with a beaker of wine and three white pills. He tells him to take the pills, and no matter what happens, no matter what he sees and the visions that are about to hit him, he must not speak. Okay, I'm gonna read a quote from the story here. Take care not to speak. The wizard cautioned, be it a revered spirit, vicious ghost, demon of hell, wild beast, hell itself, or even your own closest relatives, bound and tormented in a thousand ways, nothing you see is truly real. It is essential that you neither speak nor make any movement. Remain calm and fearless, and you shall come to no harm. Never forget what I have said. With that, the wizard departed.
Speaker 2: Okay, so none of it's going to be real as long as you keep your mouth shut, You'll be all.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And then the visions begin to hit him. So it's it's just kind of like one way of the visions after the other. So first a swarming army rides up on him in a ten foot tall general in armor it's just referred to as the General comes up on an armored horse and demands that he to identify himself. He remains quiet. The general leaves in a rage. And then and then to Tusu Chun is tormented by snakes and spiders and other beasts. There's a there's he's a rasped by storms.
Speaker 2: This is the devil rides out, this is the Christopher. Lee is like, he's got him in the circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, instead, only this time it's the circle is silence. He cannot break that silence.
Speaker 2: Tuzu Chune. I'd rather see you dead than speak.
Speaker 1: So after the storms, the general returns, and this time he has his men place a great cauldron in front of tuzu Chun. And in the story it's written the general return this time leading an ox headed sergeant and his soldiers of Hell. Together with the other weird faced ghosts, they placed a huge cauldron of boiling water before tuzu Chun enclosed in on him with spears, swords and pitchforks, and so at this point they threaten him, they say, look, identify yourself or we're going to boil you alive. He doesn't speak, So then they drag his wife before him and they start beating her, and he still refuses to speak. So they chop her up into little pieces, and he still doesn't say anything, and finally the general denounces him as a quote master of the Black Arts and has his soldiers behead him. Well, the scuy gory, Yeah, it gets gory, and hurry this story, Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: We got to remember what was said at the beginning. The Taoist wizard promised him none of this is going to be real, it's just visions. Just don't say anything.
Speaker 1: Right, So then tuzu Chun's soul passes on and he and he comes before the King of the Dead, who identifies him. He says, hey, you're that heretic and orders him cast into the hells. Quote Zuchun tasted the torments of hell to the fullest molten bronze, the iron rod pounding, grinding, the fire pit, the boiling cauldron, the Hill of Knives the Forest of Swords, but he kept the Wizard's words firmly in mind and bore the pain without letting a moan pass his lips. Then the tortures reported to the king that the punishments were completed, and at this point the King of the dead says, okay, that's good. He can go on and be reincarnated. Now, let's have him reincarnated as a woman. And so he's born again as a small female child. And now the female Tuzuchun, as an infant, still doesn't cry out, grows up a mute. Mary's has a child herself at this point, and then her husband finally has an episode and accused and accuses her of being improper by refusing to speak to him, and murders their child before her. So finally, after a life and yet it's brutal, and after a life time of silence, now she finally breaks her vow and unleashes a cry of anguish, and at this point the whole vision collapses, and once more, here's tuzu Chun himself again, still seated in the Wizard's pavilion with an empty wine flask in his hand, and the Wizard's just cursing at him for failing. He tells him, if you'd only remain silent a little longer, you would have been able to purify yourself of all your passions. You'd already purified yourself of all your passions except for love, and you blew it. And now you're not going to be immortal.
Speaker 2: That is harsh. No, he already he got killed. He had watched all his people get killed. He got killed, He got sent to hell, tortured in hell, then lived a whole other life. But the Wizard is like, you just had to hold out a little bit longer. How was he supposed to know how long it would be?
Speaker 1: He had no idea. He was just supposed to keep going. But supposedly he was close, like this was the last test and he was not able to overcome it.
Speaker 2: Remember how this started with this guy like blowing all his money on parties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is a it's a weird story. What I may I may have to look into more to see if I can, uh, you know, grasp some of the the deeper meanings involved here, But on the surface level, like coming back to cauldrons, it does feature cauldrons, twice, and both of them in a very threatening manner. Uh, the idea that if you don't speak, I'm going to boil you alive, and then once you're in Hell you may be boiled as well.
Speaker 2: A well, this would not be the only vision of hell or negative afterlife that involved boiling, and in fact, there are some famous boiling puddles, ponds, and rivers in Dante's Inferno, though I don't recall there ever being a cauldron. Maybe there is. I think they're just various boiling rivers and puddles.
Speaker 1: Well, Paul Mirapole mentions this. I thinks this as a brief aside, because you know, I think for starters, the papers mostly mostly dealing with Asian visions of hell, but mentioned that there are certain saints who had visions of hell and they might mention boiling, but they don't mention cauldrons. And part of that could be the legacy of sacred cauldrons in some of the European traditions, the pre Christian European traditions that we'll discuss in the future, like the idea being that if the cauldron is sacred, you would not find that in hell, and of course that might you might well ask, well, what are you guys talking about? You You've already talked about sacred cauldrons in Chinese traditions, and here they are popping up in Chinese. Hell, what's going on there? Well, I will get back to that, and I think it'll ultimately wind up making sense.
Speaker 2: But yeah, clearly, whatever its particular religious significance, I think it's also got to be highlighted in this story just because it's like a horrific way to threaten somebody with death.
Speaker 1: Right. And you know, certainly when we start talking about weird forms of capital punishment and execution, I mean the line between that and and sacrifice is often a bit blurred. You know, both spectacles are doing something beyond simply killing an individual or burning a piece of meat, that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sometimes in history they appear to have been sort of the same thing that, like some human sacrifice in history was clearly carried out on people who were believed to have committed some kind of crime or people who were like prisoners of war.
Speaker 1: Right, And so death by boiling pops up many times in global tales and traditions, often as a means of state execution. For all sorts of things like sorcerers, bandits, counterfeitters, poisoners, and traders. Some accounts maybe legendary, but there are plenty of very believable historic cases of boiling executions, and it was practiced into the sixteenth century in France and Germany as a punishment for clipping coins. This is when you would scrape the edges off of coins and then melt those scrapings down to new coins, a practice that was finally defeated by milling the edges of coins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, several of the main examples I found of actual use of capital punishment by boiling took place in England in the sixteenth century, where it was apparently used as a as a punishment for poisoning. There was famously a guy named Richard Rouse who made some porridge that they I think he was a cook, and he made some poison porridge that poisoned like a bishop, and then just a bunch of other people who happened to eat it, and at least a couple of people died, and he was put to death through a public boiling.
Speaker 1: It was pretty gruesome, very gruesome. It's interesting, like I guess, with the with the with the clipping of coins. There's sort of a hey, if you boil clippings from our money, will boil you, sort of a thing like you melt money, you get melted. I'm not sure exactly what the poisoning thing is, except that like poisoning was just something they really wanted to to to to draw a line on, you know, and say, look, this is really bad, and therefore you get boiled if you do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't prove this, but I have a gut suspicion, and it's that poisoning is a type of crime that is especially horrifying to kings and royal people. You know, It's the kind of thing they could imagine happening to them.
Speaker 1: Right, don't mess with the king's money or the king's food. Both must be deterred in the strongest sense. It's also interesting looking at the European use of boiling executions because you would see this tradition later on, as you know, tales were being told of what is surely going on in various foreign parts of the world, be at Africa or Asia. You know, there would be the especially in like sort of the pulp era. This idea of boiling people is something that the other does whereas history tells them. I mean, certainly they are examples of boil in various cultures, but clearly there was a long history of it occurring in Europe as well.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, clearly you can see that as just part of a fiction that sort of exoticizes other parts of the world by imagining like horrific, horrific things that might happen there, probably without any evidential basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, turning briefly to Greek mythology, of course, we have to remember that this is a boiling alive is the way that the master artificer datalist kills King Minos, trapping him in a bath that boils him alive. Clever, and it seems like the very sort of revenge that datalists would use against his enemy.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't remember that part of the story.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. I believe it is depicted in one of the Jim Henson Greek Storyteller episodes. They have, I think two different ones that involve datalists back to Eastern depictions of Hell. So there's that line in Big Trouble in Little China. I believe it's from the character Eddie who says the Chinese have a lot of hells, and indeed you'll find Eastern depictions of hell often will include generally eighteen different die you or underworlds. And the exact nature of these hells or underworlds vary from text to text, but each one has a different flavor. They're a different like this is where you'll encounter the hill of knives, or this is the one where you'll encounter the boiling feces, that sort of thing. Several of them were listed in that passage I read earlier from the story of the Wizard's Lesson.
Speaker 2: And I actually don't know the answer here. Would these also, like in some of the classic Christian depictions of hell, have specific tortures for people who's depending on their characteristic sin.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, and in case in this case the hell of oil cauldrons would be reserved for thieves and a few other kind of related transgressions. Now, at this point, I'd like to come back to that Paul Marabul article Visions of Asian Hell, in which he discusses Asian visions of hell at length, and as mentioned previously, he singles out the alchemical nature of cauldrons and Chinese traditions which it seems very key here. So on the mundane level, it is a piece of technology that allows us to transform the nature of various ingredients into food, and then on the sacred level, it allows us to transform flesh into something befitting of a god. And so Mirabile discusses examples of boiling cauldrons and the hells of Tibetan Buddhism, which, to remind everyone, does center around the continuation of souls within the wheel of Samsara, which is a karma based system in which souls tumble through incarnations that may be human or animal, but may also be incarnations such as hungry ghosts, heavenly and power devas, or indeed, you might be reborn into the hell realms of Naraka. And the goal is, ultimately, in the grand scheme of Buddhism, to remove oneself from this endless wheel and attain freedom from the cycle of death and rebirth, because that's the only way to just sort of win. I guess you would say, like, if you keep playing the game of Samsara, you're just gonna pinball around, you know, so you might ascend on high into the form of a demi god, a deva but then perhaps all that power and wrath you have at your disposal that ends up corrupting you and propels your soul back down into the hell realm. So the hell's in this case, they're not really, It's not about permanent suffering like you encounter in some interpretations of Western depictions of Christian hell, where it's like, well, you screwed up, you went with the wrong side, now you're in hell. For let's say, ever, No, in this case, hell is a place you are moving through. Your soul is moving through here, and you'll in all likelihood be reincarnated into a different incarnation in one of these other realms. So, as Mirabola discusses these visions often depicted in art, they already have this feel of transformation or purging to them. So demonic beings might be cooking human souls, but to what end? Right, we have to remember that cooking again is a transformation, and the form of cooking in the cauldron of sacrifice is supernaturally so.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, So I think I see the connection he's making here, the same way you might say. In some Chinese traditions use a ding or a cauldron to make a burnt sacrifice to the gods in order to appease them to improve your fortune. In for example, this Buddhist vision of hell, you may also be put into a cauldron yourself, but in a similar way are transformed into something potentially holier.
Speaker 1: Yes, And this ends up being reflected in Dallas traditions as well, which in Daoism is perhaps more concerned with transformation of the soul or self and immortality, but it ends up being influenced by Buddhism when Buddhism enters into China from India roughly two thousand years ago. And so, in considering images of cauldrons in Hell and the Chinese temple of ching Wang in Linza Shu in western China, Mirabule says quote, in fact, we could interpret the Dallast Hell as some enormous cauldron into which have been poured the ingredients necessary to permutate the present state of imperfect beings into their possible perfection by long and painstaking alchemical assimilations.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I really love that idea. And again it comes back to again question You might ask, well, if some Europeans were hesitant to take a sort of divine legacy of the cauldron and then place it in depictions of hell. Even if you're dealing sort of different religious traditions, why would you see it in Chinese traditions? And I think it is because you have this different view of what Hell is doing, this idea that these depictions of torment are not about like in game suffering, they are about changing you into something else, which is the purpose of the daying, the purpose of the cauldron, whether you're dealing with the process on Earth or something more celestial, or indeed something in one of the hells. And I should also point out, yeah, that you also see these visions of hell outside of Chinese traditions and outside of Indian divisions. It also pops up in Japanese views of hell and so forth. All Right, we're going to go ahead and close out this episode then, but i'd love to hear from everyone out there if you have additional things you'd like to add about Chinese traditions of cauldrons, be they the Nine cauldrons of You the Great or these various depictions of Dallast and Buddhist Hell. I'd love to hear from anyone out there. Likewise, any sort of pop culture and fiction related treatments of cauldrons that kind of match up with what we've discussed here today totally. In the meantime, if you want to check out other episodes of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, you can find those episodes and the Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we publish our core episodes. Those are the main episodes of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, and then on Mondays we do listener mail. On Wednesdays we do a short form monster fact or artifact episode in on Fridays, we cut loose, We put aside most serious concerns and we just talk about a strange film.
Speaker 2: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer Seth Nicholas Johnson. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite shows.