Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video on YouTube, subscribe to our channel, and if you like what you hear, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack the vibes around the Arizona Diamondbacks have fallen off here over the past couple of days. D Backs had won ten out of twelve games after their win on Friday, but they lose the final two games of this series against the Nationals. Of course, that means they lose the series and it also means they lose the season series in the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for whatever reason, the Nationals seem to always play the Diamondbacks quite tough. I think they are now three and eight in or last eleven against them. They lost the season series, as you said, four games to two, and all time they're like over twenty games under five hundred against the Nationals, which is that goes back to nineteen ninety eight, even when they were the Expos. So you know, it's it's been a tough organization for them. Hard to say why, but especially lately. You know, where the Dbacks have had a better team, you would expect them to do better against the Nationals than they have.
Speaker 1: The Diamondbacks offense certainly was not perfect in this series. There were some roughed bats here and there. We'll talk about that more a little bit later in the show. But the key storyline of these last two games, Jack certainly was the pitching for the Diamondbacks. They lose the finale of this series by a score of ten to seven. Of course, Mitch Bratt had a rough one on Saturday, gave up five runs in five innings there and on Sunday in the finale of this series. It you know, Cole Drake certainly was not great. He gave up four runs and four innings, but it also wouldn't be totally to blame this all on him. The Diamondbacks bullpen was unusually not good in this game either. Jonathan Elisaga gave up a couple of runs, Brandon Garcia gave up several as well. Kevin Ginkle gave up a solo home run late. So all in all, just a rough series for the Diamondbacks pitching staff. And you know, I think if any of us were skeptical about this Washington Nationals offense. I think we've all seen kind of the hard way here that this Washington Nationals offense is truly everything that the numbers say it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean, you're over one hundred games in and they lead the league in scoring, and they're right there at the top and just about every major metric. I don't think there was really much doubt that they had a very good offense. You know, you just look at the players and how they're hitting, and of course James Wood and c. J. Abrams are having phenomenal seasons, but their surrounding casts a bunch of good hitters, and so we just got to see a lot more of it up close and personal as far as how good the abats were, how aggressive they are when they get their pitch to hit, and what they were able to do with it. So, you know, that's not surprising at all. What's disappointing is, unfortunately, you know, the rookie pitchers aren't able to throw strikes at the right times in the right places. And that's not surprising their rookies, right, they're young pitchers, they're young left handers. But heading into this series, you know, when I wrote my series preview over on Diamondbacks on SI, you know, I kind of felt like, Okay, we're probably going to see a bit of a bounce back outing from a Dwarter Rodriguez. I thought they would score a little bit more in that first game than they managed to do. But they held on and the bullpen was great. But yes, yesterday and today, you know, we kind of got what we expected, which was the best offense in league, beating up on a couple of rookie starters.
Speaker 1: The fifth inning was really the big hinge point in the finale of this series. Diamondbacks had a four to two lead. At that point, things were looking pretty good. Cole Drake had you know, sort of let the Nationals tie the game a couple of times after the d Backs had taken the lead. But then in the fifth inning is where things really got a little bit out of hand. D Backs again with a four to two lead entering the inning, as I said, and yeah, things were not great there.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 1: It all started with Nasim Yunez, the Nationals number nine, hit or drawing a walk, which it feels like that's oftentimes how big time rallies begin. And then James Wood followed that up with a two run home run to tie the game. Three batters later, cj. Abrams did what he's been doing a whole lot of lately, which has hit a two run home run that came against Jonathan Elizaga, who had then entered the game at that point, and then things just kind of continue to get out of hand from there. Brandon Garcia gives up three runs in the seventh, Kevin Ginkel gives up another run in the eighth. Dbacs did make it a little interesting in the ninth inning. They did get the time run on at first base. Tyler Locklear represented the winning run with the bases loaded in two outs, but unfortunately he grounded out and that was the end of this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know, when we talk about the bullpen, I mean, for all year long, the bullpen's been really good. But the fact is is lately not so much. Although the bullpen was great on Friday night, if you go back to July twentieth, and I'm not sure if you have that table up, let's see there it is there we go. Okay, so you know, I looked I kind of broke this out two ways, which is the previous six games to Sunday and then Sunday and then the total because obviously Sunday was especially bad and it really inflated things. But you know, if you look at their previous six games, which includes the excellent Friday work, they still had a five two four e er in their previous six games out of the bullpen as relievers. And then Sunday, of course, was four innings, ten hits, six runs, five earned, and that unearned run was due to Brandon Garcia's own throwing error. And so you know, over the last seven games, the bullpen is really starting to fray a bit. We see thirty five hits and twenty six and a third innings, We see four home runs, we see a six to one five era. The strikeout to walk ratio is still pretty good, but you know, they're falling behind accounts when they shouldn't be, and they're giving up a lot of base hits and giving up some home runs. You know, it's not only been a Pulsea wall problem. It's kind of we're seeing guys taking turns now getting shaky and that may just be workload, you know, and getting a little freight at the edges. We know that they've been working really hard to try to maneuver through what has clearly been a tired bullpen and they're just not getting enough innings from the starters to allow for that to happen. And no, they still have three more games before they have a day off. They got to hit into Pittsburgh. So yeah, they have pitching was I mean, you know, they got two rookie starters that aren't performing and walking too many guys. They got a bullpen that's really paying the price for a workload and now really starting to fray at the edges. They need to make some moves and we're going to talk about that, but it's pitching that's driving the concern right now.
Speaker 1: I think at this point my concern level with the bullpen is not all that high. You know, you look at the eras that these guys have even after this game, Like Brandon Garcia is still at a two two eight, Kevin Ginkles at a three two five, Jonathan Maliseaga has been unreal lately. He's at at two four one, Ryan Thompson at a pretty reasonable three point seven to six. And you know there are some some runs in those past seven games that came at a time where the game didn't really matter, like Iildomara Vargas gave up a couple runs because the d Bacs had him pitch the ninth inning. The other day, Ryan Thompson gave up four runs in a game against the Cardinals when the game was pretty much out of hand. So not to say there isn't some regression happening, I think there clearly is, and the workload probably has something to do with that. But the starting pitching is really the concern for me right now. The fact that the Diamondbacks have two rookie pitchers, as you said, in Cole Drake and Mitch Bratt, who just do not really look like big league ready starters. Mitch Bratt in particular, Jack, I mean, at least cold. Drake pounded the zone for the most part in this Sunday game. I think his zone rate was fifty five percent. I know there were some lapses here and there, like the Walkton Nuniez, which isn't great. But Mitch Bratt on Saturday, and it's kind of been a trend for him in the few winnings that we've seen this season, he was just all over the place, and after the game, he talked about how he thought, he said a lifetime record and walks with five walks, and at least in his professional career that was definitely the case. He's never had five walks in a game in the majors or in the minor leagues. So with Bratt, I think maybe there's I'm certainly not giving up on him as a prospect. I think the track record there speaks to a guy whose command ought to be better than what we've seen, but we haven't seen it at all in the big leagues at this point. He really has been spraying the ball all over the place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a bit of confirmation bias for me, and I want to fully admit that. You know, I didn't watch his entire career, and I haven't watched every start he made in tripa A this year, but I watched at least three or four of them, and it just seemed like, Wow, these misses are like, you know, armside misses way up and out and you know curveballs, spiked it fifty six feet into the dirt, and I just saw a lot of that, and yet he would still somehow get back in the zone and get it out you know, his pitching lines were good, but I did, you know, I wasn't seeing even when I was watching this minor league starts, I wasn't seeing like pinpoint command, Like the pitches that miss are just off the plate, that kind of stuff. They're non competitive pitches. Yeah, and so that had kind of had a little bit of like, that's not what I was expecting to see based on his reputation before he was even promoted. And then since he's been promoted, we've seen more of that non competitive pitches, plus just a lot of walks. You know. So he's supposed to be a command and control guy who's not commanding and controlling the baseball. I'm not saying you can't, not saying you won't, not saying that I have the definitive understanding of this pitcher. I have not watched enough of him, but I want to see that because otherwise I don't want to hear about him being a command and control guy anymore until he actually shows that he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think that's totally fair. Diamondbacks score seven runs in the Sunday games. Certainly the offense is not, you know, does not take most of the blame for a ten to seven loss, but there are some trends with the offense that we wanted to get to. After this break, we're going to talk a little catel Marte, and then later in the show we're going to dive into some trade candidates, get into some actual names here for really the first time on our show. So don't go anywhere. We'll be back with more right after this. Well, if you are looking to take in an Arizona Diamondbacks game when they return home next week, or not just a baseball game, but a concert, any kind of event that you're looking to attend, sea geek is the place to go. With over thirty five million download, seageek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed on seakiek, including concerts, sports, festivals, and more. And hey, if you are interested in going to a Diamondbacks game here in the near future, Jack, you found this ticket for? Is that one of those one of those games when they first come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the Tuesday game against the Padres. And this looks like a great deal. Just an example of the things that you can find. Section one eighteen, row twenty one. That's the first row overlooking the walkway and it's two seats right there at the front for fifty eight bucks. Sea Gek's awesome, man like, you can really find so many great deals. I happen to just pop on there. I wanted to look at what the Padre series look like, and I saw that for Tuesday's game.
Speaker 1: There you go a lot of great tickets to be had over there. Of course, we have a code for all of you to use. You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later. Thank you Sea Geek.
Speaker 2: Well Jack.
Speaker 1: As I said before the break, d Backs scored seven runs on Sunday, you usually hope that that is enough to win a game. And yet I think it is time to have a conversation about Kateel Marte because even though Ktel's numbers for the year, he's still been an above average hitter. He did hit a home run in this game, so Admittedly, we're maybe picking a strange one to talk about his season, but there were some troubling at bats from Katel in this game. In addition to the home run, there's one that stood out from the very ending of this game. This was in the ninth inning. Diamondbacks had the bases loaded and nobody out. It's a ten to five ball game at that point, so you're just looking to kind of keep the line moving. Nationals had just brought in their closer, Clayton Beater, and Katl swings at the first pitch. Granted it was a slider that was up in the zone, but it was on the upper inside corner, not really the type of pitch you can do damage on, and Kutel just hit a little pop fly on the infield that went for an out and kind of hindered the Diamondbacks as they were trying to put together a run there a couple of innings earlier. This was maybe the real backbreaker. Runner at second two outs in the top of the seventh, Gabby Moreno had just hit a double count starts three to zero with three pitches that are nowhere even close to the zone, and then kateel Marte just becomes unglued on a three to zero fastball that was down and inside, it was not in the zone. He swings and misses, kind of looked like he might have tweaked something on the swing, which you never loved to see. And then he comes back and swings at the next pitch, a curveball in the dirt, and he takes strike three, called to envy at bat. And at that point he had seen five pitches, all of them out of the strike zone. And this is all just indicative, of course of the season that Katell has had Jack where he is just chasing pitches out of the zone, far more than we've seen in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Chris Garagiola I tweeted this out during the game. Chris Garagiolo commented on the broadcast, Katell's his own worst enemy at times, and that certainly rang true to me when I looked at this, you know, and I've looked at these numbers before. This is really pretty pretty simple, you know. And I want to start off by repeating what I said in tweet. It seems harsh to be critical of a guy who has two walks and a home run today. Okay, So I want to acknowledge that. You know, it's he's a phenomenal player. He can do amazing things, didn't.
Speaker 1: I think Katell just had the home run, right, I think he was one for five. I don't think he drew walks in this one.
Speaker 2: If I remember directly, you know what, I misread my score sheheet. That's correct. He was one for five, So that tweet's wrong, thank you, Jesse.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure.
Speaker 2: But the point, the overwriting point here is the numbers on the screen show his chase percentage. That's the percentage of pitches that he swings at that are outside the strike zone. In twenty twenty three it was twenty four point three percent. Twenty twenty four is twenty five point nine percent. Twenty twenty five it was twenty four point seven percent. In twenty twenty six, it's thirty two point three percent chase. In other words, he's increased his chase rate by over thirty percent from what it was the year before, you know, straight up seven and a half percentage points. But that's about a thirty percent increase from the year before, and we're just seeing that that completely matches the eye test. You know, he's just been swinging the balls outside the zone repeatedly, and you know, I'm catching a little flak on Twitter. Well, you know, if you'd got that hit, if you got a hit on that pitch, you know, in the ninth inning, you know, I wouldn't be saying anything. But think of the context. You're down by five runs. The best possible outcome in that at bat is a grand Slam homer, and you'd still be losing ten to nine. The only way you're going to come back from a five run deficit here is to move the chain, right. They had just walked the bases loaded. Now you got a new pitcher coming in and he throws a slider up and in, and you're hacking at that pitch. Take a pitch, take a pitch, move the chain, grind out in a bat, you know. And he just wasn't willing to do any of that when he had the other at bet that you highlighted. I mean that was with two outs and Gabby on second base, you know, an opportunity to drive in a run there. You know, maybe that's what he's thinking. I'm not you know, some people are calling him selfish. I'm not calling him selfish. I'm just saying he's being undisciplined. He's been an undisciplined hitter this year, and it showed up in the results. I mean, the bottom line is this, To tell Marte, the previous couple of seasons was like a one you know, op WRC plus or OPS plus hitter, Okay, one forty five and one fifty two. This year he's one oh six. And earlier in the season the narrative was, well, he's hitting the ball hard, you know, he's just having bad luck, and that was partially true. But as the season's gone on, this chase issue has just reared its ugly head over and over and overhead and situationally and again it's I mean, he's so mercurial, I mean like he'll hit a walk off home run, he'll do amazing things. But he's really cutting into his value by being so undisciplined this year. And I don't know why he's doing it. I don't know what got into his head.
Speaker 1: I thought it was interesting with the chase rate. His chase rate against lefties this year is right around thirty five percent, which is actually very similar to what it's been in past years. It was actually higher in twenty nineteen at thirty eight point five percent. So we've always seen this kind of chase happy version of Katel against lefties because he has this lightning quick swing. The bat speed is insane, and he can just kind of get away with it at times. He certainly has this season. His numbers against lefties are still awesome this year. The issue is against righty's. His chase strate is thirty one point two percent this season, and that is like way out of range from where it's been in recent seasons. Last year was twenty three point six percent, twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four it was in the twenty one percent range. So that's an enormous, enormous difference in chase against righty's and generally that's been Katel's slightly weaker side, where he needs to work counts and get a good pitch to hit more so than he does when batting right handed, and of course Jack I mean this kind of manifests itself in the on base percentage. I know there's been a little bit of bad luck for Katel this year and this number probably could be a little higher, but as OBP is three h seven in twenty twenty six, I mean, that's that's just straight up below average. I mean, you look at where it was last season three seventy six, the year before three seventy two. It's the lowest on base percentage that Katel has ever had as a member of the Diamondbacks. The only time his OBP in the majors has ever been lower was twenty sixteen, when he was with the Mariners and still a very very young player coming up in the league. So it really has been uncharacteristic for a guy who has made his living against right handed pitching, really seeing pitches and working counts, and just hasn't happened this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again, I don't know why. I don't know what's up with him. You know, I'm not going to try to psychoanalyze him. I'm just saying this is the fact he's chasing like crazy, obviously more so against right handed pitching, and it's resulted in a low OBP and a one oh six WRC plus and you know, he's just not and most of that has come out of the leadoff spot, whereas first batter of the game he was hardly getting on base at all. You know, his better when all those times batting leadoff, most of us better. Our batch came second, third, fourth, a bat of the game.
Speaker 1: Later, and that takes us to an interesting stat that you tweeted out earlier. This was entering the game today. You tweeted out the Diamondbacks one through four hitters have a one to oh three WRC plus this season. League average is one to ten that ranks twenty third in the league. And then the d Backs five through nine hitters this season have an eighty five WRC plus that also ranks twenty third in the league. League average is ninety one. And I guess that kind of goes against the narrative that some people have that like, the Diamondbacks one through four hitters are great and the depth of the lineup just isn't there. We've kind of seen this kind of those numbers sort of collide together in recent days and now the Diamondbacks are just sort of a lost the board, a below average offensive team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, and if you want to think about who are the players, because this is one through four and not just one through three, right, and Gabby doesn't have all his at bats in the fourth spot. He was moved up from a lot and some of the he's only got two hundred and thirty something played appearances, you know, batting in either the third or fourth spot in order, and Nolan Ronado had a significant over one hundred plate appearances one hundred and sixteen I think, batting fourth, and he had eighty w RC plus. And Adrian deuck Castillo is a disaster batting fourth. He had about eighty played appearances and he had a thirty WRC plus. So when we talk about cleanup spot, I mean, obviously, you know, Dell and Nolan contributed to some of the poor numbers when we look at one through four overall, but Heraldo Padomo batting either first, second, third, or fourth has a ninety two WRC plus. It Tell's about one hundred and four, Gabby's hund forty three, Corbyn's in the one twenties. But you know, even those four guys alone, because of the underperformance from Katel and Perdomo this year, which has been fairly extreme compared to what was expected of them, has really hurt the top half of the order. A lot of that's July, but not all of it. I mean, obviously July's has been a disaster, especially for Catel and Corbin, but overall, you know, the Dbacks are not getting the production out of either the top or the bottom of the order that they should have got somewhat better out of the bottom half of the order, but then the bottom the top half kind of tanked, so they've never been able to really get both sides of it going at the same time.
Speaker 1: So where does this leave the Diamondbacks and the standings. We've got it for you here. I believe the Phillies are still have not played their Sunday game as of the time of US recording, but all of these other all of these other teams have played. The Marlins lost their two consecutive game, which is wild to the San Diego Padres. The Padres now are two games behind the Diamondbacks for that third wild card spot. As a result of that, the Cardinals lost, they are a game and a half out, and then the Nationals of course won. The Pirates won on Sunday as well, both of those teams just one game out of that third wild card spot, and of course Diamondbacks playing the Pittsburgh Pirates out in Pittsburgh over the next few days, and we'll talk a little bit more about that series later in the show. We're gonna go ahead and dive into some trade deadline talk. We've got a list. Jack put together a list of five rental starting pitchers and five rental position players that the Diamondbacks could possibly target at the trade deadline, So don't go anywhere. We're going to dive in on the other side of this break.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball fans. Think you know who's hitting a homer today, Well, FanDuel is giving you a free chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain, and don't forget you can make a free pick every day all season long. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home for home runs. So are you ready to play your game today? Join all the action at FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. That's FanDuel dot Com Slash podcast to play Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball twenty one plus select states for Kansas in affiliation with Kansas Star Casino eighteen plus DC Kentucky, Wyoming. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued is non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler call one eight hundred, my reset one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven. Visit CCPG dot org, slash chat Connecticut, visit MD Gamblinghelp dot org. Maryland visit Gambling Helpline MA dot org. Call eight hundred three two seven five zero five zero, Massachusetts call one eight seven seven eight Hope and Why text Hope and Why. New York call one eight seven seven seven seven zero seven eight six seven Louisiana.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. We really appreciate all of you being here with us, if you haven't already, really helps us out. If you would drop a like on this video, even though you might not be so happy with the show headline and the Diamondbacks performance over the weekend. It still really helps us out if you would drop alike on the video of course, subscribe to our channel, hit the bell icon for notifications while you're at it, and if you're joining us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify also really helps us out if you would leave us a five star review. Well, Jack, I know you've been working on putting together a list of potential trade targets for the Diamondbacks. I'm going to set the table for this conversation with some context here. These quotes that we've pulled are from a recent story from Nick Pacoro over at the Arizona Republic, and this is helpful context as we talk about this stuff. Nick writes, the diamondbacks surprise signing of right hander Zach Gallen early in spring training moved their payroll into unexpected territory within range of Baseball's first luxury tax threshold. According to a source, the club is within ten million dollars of the first threshold, which likely means certain players won't be options prior to August third unless their teams are willing to pay down their salaries. And Jack, as we think about what rental players the Diamondbacks could actually chase after. That is good to know because if you've got less than ten million dollars to play around with, I don't think Derek Scuball is going to be a member of the diamond Back anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Well, and I just want to, you know, tack on a conversation we had on our previous show where I was looking at spot track and Roster Resource and they had between two and in twenty six and two and then thirty one million attributed to the Diamondbacks payroll. The CBT number is two forty four, and so I estimated it would be twelve to seventeen million, depending on which number you believe. But apparently the DBAX number is significantly higher than either of what they have because if they have less than ten, that means that their payroll is actually over you know, two hundred and thirty four million at the moment, so uh, you know, maybe it's two thirty five, two thirty six, you know, less than ten, could be five, could be seven, could be eight or nine, we don't know, but less than ten is less than ten. So that's that's a significant number and a significant limitation. And from the way next reporting it, we kind of debated this point a little bit last time. I think it's fairly clear that the team is very intent on not going over that number. Never say never, but it looks like they're pretty intent on not doing that. The other thing I just want to say real quickly before we dive into the list is, in my view, in my opinion, because of the threat of a lockout, I'm sitting here thinking like, Okay, what if a lockout takes away a third or half of next season. If you're trading for a guy with this year and one year of control, well you're probably going to because they're end They're likely to end up negotiating that player to the players to receive the same service time. And so guys that are going to be free agents at the end of twenty twenty seven are still going to be free agents at the end of twenty twenty seven. I mean, everything's negotiable, but that's like none of these players are going to vote to push out their free agency another year, right, So that's just not going to happen. So when you talk about getting controllable players, to me, that's a pretty big potential negative. Now you could just say I have confidence that we won't lose games. They'll figure it out or go up to the last minute. But that's a big risk to take when you're looking at the potential for giving away prospects and you know, really pretty good players that it's going to take to get a player with one to two years of control, when you might lose half that half a year. And meanwhile, the other team has your prospect that's still developing in the minor leagues and you never really lost any major league time from him. So to me, that's a pretty big impediment for going at that route. And I think that the safest route for the Diamondbacks in this situation is the rental market. And it's a little contrary to what Mike said because the rental market to him sounded like an afterthought, like, oh, we might do a challenge trade. I'd like to get controllable players, you know, But if the players on the field show me that they're ready to compete and you know, and prove to me that I need to do this, then sure I can be more a little bit aggressive and just go after rental players. Well, I think that should be a starting point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that the way the Diamondbacks perform over the next week is still important because if you know, if they slip a couple games in the standings, then if you're Mike, you're maybe asking, like, all right, am I really willing to trade like a pretty solid package of prospects for a starting pitcher that I'm just going to have for two months? You know, you have to really decide that this team is worth pushing the chips in, and it's it's important for this team to play well, especially against Pittsburgh over these next few days. To dive into the list, here, Jack, you've got five. As usually, you have a lovely table for us where we can see all of all of their stats. I'll go ahead and just list these guys out and then we can start at the top. We've got Robbie Ray of the San Francisco Giants, Clay Holmes of the New York Mets, who does have a player option for twenty twenty seven. He is not likely to exercise that, but is worth noting. Kevin Gosman of the Toronto Blue Jays is here, Tyler Mallley of the San Francisco Giants, and then Brady Singer of the Cincinnati Reds and as another caveat here, certainly there are other starting pitchers who could be available. We just saw Foster Griffin look really good against the Diamondbacks. I think totally possible that the Nationals make him available, but we don't really know yet, and so the focus for right now is on guys that we are very confident will be available. I think all of these teams are are pretty safe, pretty safe as sellers at this point. And I guess we'll start at the top here. Jack Robbie Ray familiar name. He's making six point nine million dollars from the trade deadline through the end of the season, so that's about the amount of money that you need to take on there. He's got a three three four ERA this season in one hundred and ten innings, but as we can see here, the peripherals not quite as promising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in Robbie's case, you know, Jesse was the one that pointed it out to me that, you know, his fastball just isn't quite what it was. But he's an experienced thirty four year old left hander who the Dbacs have a lot of familiality with, and he's familiar with this organization of course, so you know there there could be something workable, but the Giants would have to take about two three million of that payroll. I mean, there's no way the Dbacks can afford to pay Robby Ray seven million dollars, right Maybe they could pay him three or.
Speaker 1: Four Yeah, yeah, I don't just given the underlying numbers here, the four six six FIP, the four nine to two x FIP, I don't know if any team would would be comfortable taking on all that money. Maybe possible, but definitely something that could factor in from the d Backs perspective. Clay Holmes is probably the most attractive name on this list. He has a two to three nine ERA this season in fifty three innings. The underlying numbers here are pretty good as well. He is the ground ball specialist of all ground ball specialists. That's been a big part of his game for a while, a fifty five percent ground ball rate this year. The challenge with him is that he is on the injured list right now. He had a fractured fibula back in May because of a comebacker. Pretty rough injury there, but he's on his way back and I have a feeling there will be a lot of suitors for Clay Holmes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Holmes has already thrown one rehab game. He went two and a thirds inning, so he had three updowns, he threw fifty one pitches. He's going to go again on the twenty eighth, and Andy Green of the Mets said that Clay Holmes will be available to return to the major league roster after that next rehab start, So he'll probably get four updowns sixty something pitches in his next outing, and then with the ability to go five updowns and seventy plus pitches, they would bring him back to the majors. So the timing on that means that that next outing would be after the trade deadline. If he's still in New York met then he'll pitch for them. But you know, know, if his next rehab outing looks good, and I bet there'll be a lot of scouts there seeing what he looks like, then you know he'll certainly be a much desired pitcher. He's only owed three point eight million from August fourth onward. I definitely think that he's somebody that is going to be sought after. And then the next guy on the list was Kevin Golsman, now Kevin golfman's you know, the whole Toronto Blue Jays team is having a bad year. And he's got a four or five one ERA and one hundred and sixteen innings, but his FIP and x FIP or a run lower or almost a run lower three six eight and three eight seven. He's still got excellent strikeout to walk ratios. He's just been giving up a little bit more home runs than he usually does twenty four percent, strikeout, seven percent walk, one point two home runs per nine. He's owed six point six million dollars from August fourth onward. Here Again, the Diamondbacks probably need the Blue Jays to pick up at least a couple million of that, and there's going to be other teams out there that are looking for starting pitch. So if you're looking for, you know, just to add on here, I mean, the other teams absorbing all of that salary would not have to give as good a prospect the Diamondbacks. If they can't take all the salary, then they're going to have to give up a better prospect to get there. The last two names on the list are basically innings eaters who are not having very good seasons. Tyler Mallley's got a five to three one ERA, although his peripherals of FIP and x FIP are a bit lower at four to five to two and four to two three. He's giving up a lot of home runs two and he's walking more guys than usually get from him nine point two percent. Grady Singer seems that you know, he's come across to our radar time and time again over the years when you think about somebody that could be a starting pitcher for you, again, he's an innings eater. He's got a four or five three ERA, pitching in a very home run friendly ballpark where he's allowed one point eight home runs per nine. But you know, Chase Field and Great American Ballpark are not the same place. Maybe Singer would fare better in Chase Field with some young, fast outfielders and bigger dimensions. So you know, if he can keep the ball in the ballpark at Chase Field, he might be a surprisingly good addition for the Diamondbacks. Certainly a guy with experience, I could give him innings for me. This is not only about navigating your way through the rest of the season. I mean, we're pretty confident that Soroka is going to come back soon, you know, and then at some point, you know, maybe Gallon comes back, maybe Corman Burn's come back, maybe Ryan Nelson comes back, or maybe he goes to the bullpen. But you can't really count on any of those guys. And you really need two right now. You need two pitchers from whoever you pick up at the trade deadline, plus you're returning starters to actually be able to step into rotation. But think about the postseason two. You know, who's going to start Game three or four, especially if you manage to make it to the division series. Who's going to start for game four for you in a division series? So that's why I'm thinking about like a guy like a Gusman or Holmes or Robbie Ray, like somebody with some gravitas, Like okay, I could put that guy on the mound in a playoff game in game four and give it a shot.
Speaker 1: Or the DBACS could just do a bullpen game again, you know, worked against the Phillies. Just just throwing that out there. No, they should, they should do that. I think where I land on this is I have a hard time seeing Mike Hazen push the chips in on a clay Holmes, maybe even on a Kevin Gosman. The more attractive rentals in this market, I think are going to be quite expensive. I think back to twenty twenty three, a decision that I think Mike Kyson later regretted, but he apparently was asked for Brandon Foi for Lucas Giolito, and at the time that was it was a good thing he did not do that. Brandon Fought wound up pitching quite well in the post season for the Diamondbacks, and that was a really big asking price for, you know, two months of a solid but not elite starter in Lucas Giolito. And I think if you're Mike Hazen and you're looking at the roster you have right now, I'm just not sure that the talent is here to warrant going all in on this season, at least to that level. I just think realistically this team seems more in the middle than at the top. Certainly that's what the standings say, and I just have a hard time seeing Hazen be that aggressive. What I could maybe see is to two different options. One is you get at Tyler Mattley, you get a maybe Brady Singer is in this category two, a rental that like isn't gonna cost much because the pitcher just flat out isn't all that great and very well could get pushed out of the rotation if the d Backs get enough guys back from injury. But maybe that wouldn't that wouldn't be terrible because you wouldn't have to give up that much to get them. The other option I could see, which I don't think is likely, but we know Mike Haysn would love to do it. It's Redebt Mers, It's Jose Soriano, It's you know, one of those bigger name, controllable starting pitchers that we know Mike Hasn is always chasing after. And I have a feeling he's going to land in one of those two camps. And certainly that's not a guarantee that the Dbacks are going to land a starter, but I think it will look like one of those two things if it does happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or I'm just throwing it out there. Would you be willing to part with David Hagman and another starter maybe in Ashton? Is he to get to read school here? Maybe try to get and maybe try to get you know, I mean if you're going to talk to me about redebt mers. That's going to be really expensive. So you know, the one thing I'm thinking of also is they probably should make some kind of offer to the Tigers that's substantial to force the Dodgers to pay a higher price, because the Dodgers are going to get to Schooble.
Speaker 1: That's fair. If nothing else is to drive up the price for the Dodgers, you might as well just you know, throw demitriro Croissants his name in there or something, just for good measure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, look, I don't know what the right offer. I know that from reading today and reading what about Nightingale wrote, you know, the Tiger is probably looking for pitching. You know, maybe you give Mitch Bratt, who's got at least some major league experience, or Cole Drake one of those two guys, plus you know, a pitching prospect like Hageman who's got some pretty high perceived upside. I mean, that's a lot to pay for two months of touring school. But that's that's a push your chips into the middle type of move, right, I Mean, that's like, okay, let's just go for this. So if they did want to go for it. That's what that would look like. I, you know, probably our prospect towns and and uh, you know amongst our listeners are throwing something at their computer screens right now as they're watching this, or smashing their phone on the table.
Speaker 1: I mean, my honest opinion on that is, I don't think that gets it done. I think David Hageman is a well regarded pitching prospect, but I don't think he gets you, Trek Skoogle. I think other teams are going to be able to offer more major league ready, compelling starting pitching talent, and Mitch brad unfortunately, from what we've seen his past few outings is really the only outings he has in the majors. I don't think he's going to be that guy to entice them either, but hey, you never know, maybe it's possible. Let's go ahead and switch over to the hitting side of things, Jack. I know you had five names here as well that you wrote about over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI. We've talked about Nathaniel Lowe several times on the show. First base DH left handed hitter, you know, one fifteen ish WRC plus has an eight hundred ohps this year or something right around that. I think we've covered him pretty well at this point. I guess the one other thing I would say is he's more of a DH than a first baseman. First base metrics are not great there, so that would be something to keep in mind with him. The next name you have on your list, which I think we have touched on a little bit but not a whole lot, is Luisa Rise of the San Francisco Giants. The bat is certainly attractive, there's no question there. But where's he going to play?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, in Arise's case, I mean, look, he could either split some he could split some time with Kutel at second base and then also take some reps at first In DH, I know he stated a preference to stay at second base, but he doesn't have a no trade clause, you know, and if you want to go to a playoff team, then have a chance to get your at bets and hit near the top of the order a Dembacks or a team that could offer him that. You know, he's still got the elite backed ball skills and he's really good at runners in scoring position. As always, He's batting three forty four statcas says he's plus nine. Fielding run value DRS. Defensive run saves has zero, so you know he's plus five.
Speaker 1: He's either the best defender in baseball or completely average, one of the two.
Speaker 2: This is why I average them, folks. He'll be owed another three point six million from the trade deadline on, so it's affordable. It's in the range of what they could pay for. You know, it's just a matter are you willing to bring in a player who may not be all that happy about not playing second base all the time. That's really the only downside there, and the fact that you have to trade a prospect to a divisional rival.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Luisa Rise is going to be a popular commodity. He's one of the few valuable players that we pretty much know is going to be traded as long as he stays healthy, Diamondbacks would not be alone in his market. There's three other names on the list here. I'm not gonna lie. I don't love any of them, but the first one is fun. It's Dalton varshow old friend from the Toronto Blue Jays of var show this season slashing two forty three three zero six three eighty two a ninety two WRC plus. He of course bats left handed, plays a very good defensive center field. It's not a slam dunk jack. He would not be. You know, he does have some power, but he's a below average hitter all together. Certainly be on base percentage. You're not expecting a ton there, but it would be fun for the vibes and the defense of course.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, look, you know Dalton varshow last year had twenty homers in two hundred and seventy seven at bats. When he came back. I think he had a really bad hamstring Industry in injury. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was a hamstring. But he came back and he hit twenty homers in two hundred and seventy seventy one played appearances. Right, he had a one twenty OPS plus for his career. He's a ninety eight OPS plus hitter. I mean, he's a league hitter with you know, lower obp who has some pop and left handed bat that can hit home runs against right handed pitching, and uh, you know that could potentially replace a Max Kepler in the lineup, right, Like, if you're looking for a guy that left handed has some power, that's that's a Max Kepler profile, more or less offensively with better even better defense in the outfield. You know, pretty much if you bring him in by default, dald Varsher goes out to center field and he's your center fielder, and he can push the Towers and the Waltsmiths of the world over to the corners. So you know, he's it's possibility. I'm not saying it's the best option, but it's an option, and there aren't a lot of them out there. The other thing about var Show is he'd be owed about three million dollars UH to give or take from the trade deadline on the next guy I talked about it, By the way, I wrote an article about this on Diamondbacks on S I was George Springer. Now, George Springer's getting old, long in the tooth, and he's having a down year. He's sitting two twenty six with a six to ninety six ops. That's what it was a couple days ago when I wrote the article. Ten homers, but it was only one year removed from a bounce back season where he hit thirty two homers and drove in eighty four runs. You know, the thing about Springer he's dhing now, he's not even playing outfield. He's right handed, so he's not really a good fit there. But the one thing about Singer, that Springer that really attracts me his twenty three career postseason homers in three hundred and eighty four played appearances, including three last year in the ALCS, four overall in the playoffs. This guy has played on the big stage and he knows how to get it done in big moments. He's just had a knack for doing that. And if you are bringing in a rental then maybe that's what you're hoping for to catch you know, for a guy like that to catch fire and help you in the postseason.
Speaker 1: George Springer, I will throw out there, has two hits in five of his last seven games and has an eight sixty seven ops in the month of July. So he really struggled early in the season, but his June numbers were decent. His ops there was seven thirty eight, and in July he just seems to be getting hotter and hotter. So I do think that's interesting, you know, is he going to be the George Springer from last season who was one of the best players in baseball, probably not, but maybe you could catch lightning in a bottle, assuming that the Blue Jays are willing to pay down some of the money there.
Speaker 2: Right, he's owed over seven million dollars, I think, so you know, probably you know Dbacks would again need him to take down you know, two or three million of that.
Speaker 1: The last name on the list is Lane Thomas of the Kansas City Royals. Thomas is totally fine one oh seven op plus two thirty three, three thirty three ninety seven slash line. He's a guy we've talked about in the past, is a trade target for the Diamondbacks. The challenge here is you kind of wish he hit left handed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean for me, Thomas, he has a higher floor obviously than Walshman and twa. You know, you're really only going to should only play him on the corners. He's playing a lot of center field for the Royals, but he's bad in center field minus nine in however many games, you know. And he's been more or less over the last I mean, his peak season was twenty three yet twenty eight homers had a one to fifteen ops plus and since then he's been about a league average hitter. Give or take a league average right handed batter who's more or less relegated to the corners. Yes, he'd probably bring some stability or a higher floor than some of the young rookie players that the Dbacks have been playing. But I don't think the difference is there to warrant doing this. I'd rather just let Walshmant and Tower play and you know, for that ten points or whatever difference, maybe even twenty of WRC plus. I want to see if those guys can get better. There's value in that.
Speaker 1: I think if you're feeling underwhelmed by the names that we've brought up here, very understandable, some of these guys are like, is that player even good?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But I think that just takes us back to the standings, and this is where things are stand in the National League right now. I mean even the Cincinnati Reds. I mean they're five games out. After winning today, I still think they're going to sell, but I don't know. Maybe if they get hot in the next few days, maybe that would encourage them to stand pat. I don't know what that's going to look like. And the American League is in a similar situation right now, where there's a few teams at the bottom, like the Jewels and the A's and the Royals and probably the Blue Jays. Like you think those teams are going to sell, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Like Tigers Orioles, Astros, Twins, it's really hard to say what those teams are going to do.
Speaker 2: Right now. Tigers are only three and a half out, yeah, Orioles are two and a half out. Yeah, Astros are two out. That's from the wild card. And then like you know, don't forget to look at the divisional standings over there too, right, I mean, the Astros are two games out of the division of the AL West.
Speaker 1: You know, they're fifty two and fifty five. They're two games out of the division. Welcome to the AL West.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. The Tigers are six out of the Central. They're probably still looking at wild card or bust there. And of course the Orioles are out of it too. But you know, the point is is that our list was from I mean, I was actually pushing the envelope to expand it to eight teams because the Blue Jays and the Reds are not confirmed sellers. There's really only six confirmed. Like this team's so bad they would have to be absolutely off their rocker not to sell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't want to be Mike Cason right now. I can say that it'd be kind of interesting. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for all the conversations he's having right now. But it's gonna be tricky to navigate this next seven eight days between now and the trade deadline on August third. Of course, we will be here throughout, excited to be here along with you, react to whatever moves as they happen as best we can, and if you would like to follow us on Twitter, you may do so. I am at Jesse N. Friedman. Jack is at Shoizard fifty nine, and our show is at Snake's territory. This story that we were just referencing, this is at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI five. Potential rental bat targets for the Diamondbacks at the trade deadline, and go over there to find it in written form. A lot of great stuff over there this time of year. Jackie.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, you guys got the sneak preview of the picture side of that. If you're if you're listening to this late on Sunday night or early Monday morning. I'll be writing that up for Monday release. There you go.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you again to all of you for being with us. We really appreciate your time, and we'll be back with another edition of Snake's Territory very very soon