Speaker 1: Look, how is only films to be buried with? Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian, an actor, a writer, a director at Thistle, and I love films. As Lautzu once said, the flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long, which isn't technically true for all sequels, though Creed two is three minutes shorter than Creed. Every week I invite a special guest over. I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant that most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins, Kevin Smith, Kyle McLaughlin, and even Led Campbell's. But this week it's the brilliant, award winning comedian. It's Laura Smith. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get an extra fifteen minutes or more with Laura. We talk secret is, we talk the beginning and ending of things. You get the whole episode unca and ad free and as a video. Check it out over at Patreon dot com Forward slash Brett Goldstein. So Laura Smith, Laura Smith is an award winner. She won the Funny Women Award. She's appeared on Live at the Apollo and Jonathan Ross and Frankie Boyle. She's acted in loads of things. She's touring the country this year in her excellent news stand up show. We had never met before. We recorded this on Zoom about a week ago, and boy does this one go deep. She was amazing. I really think you're gonna love this one. She's a fucking delight. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode two hundred and eighty eight of Films to be Buried With. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is Brett Goldstein and I am joined today by a comedian, a Funny Woman award winner, a New World orderer, a Jonathan Russer, a Guardian writer, a Live at the Apollour, a hero, a legend, one of the great new comedians in the world working today. She's here, she's live. Can you believe it? I can because I'm looking at her. You're about to hear her. Unless you're also watching this video, please welcome to the show. It's the one. The only issue is it's Laura Smith.
Speaker 2: Oh what, I'll take that all day long. Thank you.
Speaker 1: How are you? Laura? Nice to meet you, first time we've met in it.
Speaker 3: It is true because you're more in LA than London, now are you?
Speaker 1: Sometimes? Sometimes I've seen you on all the youtubes. I've seen all your bits fucking funny, and I saw all your stuff and I was like, she's fucking funny. And then I checked with Louce Sanders, who, as you know, is the voice of reason in comedy. She's she's the only sensible voice in comedy, and I said, Lawrence Smith's fucking funny, and shenically said, yeah, she's amazing. Get her on your show. I said, all right, Yeah, we were.
Speaker 3: We were crying pretty quickly on her cud of Club podcast.
Speaker 2: That's that's how we're wrong.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think when I first started, I kind of reached out to her.
Speaker 3: I've got geeky fan picks, post gigs with Lucanders, that's our cuts. How much I love her, so yeah, yeah, so yeah, she's my favorite comedian so yeah, yeah, yeah, and I'm mutual.
Speaker 2: We've got mutual. Yeah, so yeah, very good choice.
Speaker 1: How long you've been at it now? Five years?
Speaker 3: Just about yeah, just about congratulations, thank you.
Speaker 1: You've already sort of completed comedy because you've done all the TV shows and Lover Depollo. I mean, I guess that's it, right, Yeah, that is it.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny.
Speaker 3: I was talking the other day and it's not like, you know, you have ambition and all of that sort of thing, but I was just sort of having a drink my husband after a gig last night, and I just said, like, if gigging was it, if the circuit was it, that would be me living my dream.
Speaker 2: And that's a nice baseline to feel.
Speaker 3: And I have very few ambitions other than that, and everything else feels good.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I've got into writing and developing shows and writing for other shows and that feels nice, and.
Speaker 2: Little bits of acting here in that. I like it all.
Speaker 3: But to me, the circuit is everything, and the craft and peeking out with another comedian. I did a new bit the other night and Sean mcloughin got off to just be forensic with him, and it was just that's the bit. It just ah, that's so I feel like, yeah, maybe tiktick tick completed it, mate, but the craft that is never complete.
Speaker 2: So that feels nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure I've told this before, and forgive me, if you've heard this, you wouldn't have. Maybe. Anyway, years ago, I was doing a gig. I turned up to a gig and it was in fucking December, and I turned up and I was like, oh no, it's like a sort of corporate Chris mus gig. And it was it Spiky Dix or whatever it's called. What's that place called Licky Dix. It was it Licky Dick, Spiky Dick.
Speaker 3: They both started tempting, yeah, and it.
Speaker 1: Was like under a pub and it was this whole office party. It was a fucking night.
Speaker 2: And sucky fucking dirty dicks.
Speaker 1: It was lucky fuck stinky dirty dicks and it was like an office Christmas party and they were hammered and they were heckling everyone. Ever. I was having a nightmare and I went up quite late, but I sort of figured out watching it. I was like, there's no way anyone could do material here. You've just got to fucking play with this crowd and sort of roast them and that's all that's god of way. Anyway, I ended up having quite a good gig, despite thinking there's going to be terrible terrible. But afterwards, this very drunk woman came next to me and she was like, you were You were quite funny and I was like thanks, and she said, so what's all this for? What's next? And I genuine was like, oh, just another gig, just another one, just another gig. And I could see she felt sorry for me, like she was sort of like, is this it? And yeah, And I remember thinking, and I am so grateful that I'm not doing it if you do. I'm so grateful that I'm not going back to the office throw that I get to do, you know what I mean. I was like, I know you feel sorry for me, but this is it. This isn't going anywhere. It's just this more of this and I'm happy and you feel sorry.
Speaker 2: For me, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's so funny people's responses to what you do. And you know there's always that thing like women get them like I've got children as well, so it's all like that kind of oh it's.
Speaker 2: Good that you're like, I was get well done? Or how did you do this?
Speaker 3: And I'm like video from my Instagram and just my mates, and I don't know how you find the time. I thought this is all I do now, dick about you know, I love it and people you love it. I love it. I love I love bad gigs. It's that thing of it, like a bad, bad comedy gig still better than any day of work I've ever done, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, yeah, I think that's true. Yeah, I'd agree with that, Laura, I am. I hope you don't mind. I read your Guardian article that you wrote, yeah, and it made me cry, and I thought it was a very very beautiful. I thought it was a really fucking great bit of writing. And really, hmmm, basically, if you don't mind, it was about your cancer diagnosis correct and you are now clear and yeah and congratulations. And I thought it was just such a good bit of writing. It was so sort of wise and funny and heartbreaking and like and seriously good advice advice in it, and anyway, I was just like, God, she's a fucking good writer. And I wondered, if I may ask, how you are having been through this terrible, terrible thing. How long ago were you all clear? How long has it been?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Really after my surgery that I was considered in remission as they say, And then everything else has been adjuvant therapy to keep me safe. And you know, anyone that's had cancer or anything serious health stuff knows there's a sense of like, you know, you don't know, and you're sort of that thing of going five years, ten years. So it's a couple of years now I've been all right, and you know the article that you're talking about, I talked about it in context of kind of you know, coming to live my dream late and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: So it's good.
Speaker 3: And you know the basis of this show about you know, you're asking people about how they feel about death, so we jump in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as I was really right, boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Well I thought, well, I know I've got an answer to that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And am I scared of death?
Speaker 3: And I don't know, maybe this is a comedian's mentality, but or just a sort of bit of a fighter mentality, but I realized the anxiety of a diagnosis is so powerful, and every letter that you receive, everything that you get about it, you know, you're very disempowered just you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's a disempowering thing. You're in the hands of the doctors.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of a joke Ruger, I don't like doctors because I cancer, and as a doctor who told me, which is just a stupid way, there is some truth in that.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Because you're like, oh, you're my gods now, because I'm waiting for what you tell me about this scan and that scan. And I just realized I had to be okay with dying in order to I still don't want to call it a fight, in order to just be on this. I also don't want to call it a journey, but to be in this kind of process, I thought, Okay, if I can it's a mentally like almost like you at dated Dix.
Speaker 2: If I can handle the worse, I've watched them all.
Speaker 3: Now, if I can handle the worse, I'm just rolling then, do you know what I mean? And there's sometimes and so if I went at it with this kind of don't die, don't die, don't die, I think that anxiety would have consumed me. But as I went, okay, you know, I can be at peace with I can be a call with dying.
Speaker 2: That was an sort of an integral.
Speaker 3: Part of the fight of coming out the other side where I just didn't want it.
Speaker 2: It's the end of labyrinth. You have no power over me.
Speaker 3: You know that that when everything falls away it was it or the matrix which borrowed heavily nun just doing. But you know that kind of oh when you realize it has no power over you. And I and I said to my husband, tell me you and the kids will be all right, guys, we'll be all right.
Speaker 2: I said, all right, we'll be all right then.
Speaker 3: And obviously I have the fear in the sense of, like you know, hugging my children, it'll be saying goodbye, you know, leaving them to them for themselves. But also, you know, I dug really deep. It all got a bit cosmic. I'm obsessed with near death experiences. There's a brilliant one that's that's an account of one by Anita more Johnny who was at death Door had this huge near death experience and just went back into a body.
Speaker 2: And so I always sort of.
Speaker 3: Go, yeah, I just it's like with going how was life at the pollaga, I chose to enjoy it, sort of feel like I'm just choosing to live.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just going to live, and how like fill up my cup?
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's funny to ask someone about death and tell them they're dead and in a kind of promise when you know, the kind.
Speaker 2: Of fought for their life.
Speaker 3: But I was having Yeah, I was talking about my husband the other day and I was with my crany Ias your path, because that's what sort of stuff I do now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talk about that.
Speaker 3: And I was sort of going, I said, well, obviously he's never had the privilege of fighting for his life. And she went, Wow, what a way to frame it. But I thought, oh, yeah, that is how I look at it. You know, there is this sort of thing where everything all priorities reship like shift and and and it's nice. You know, the tough stuff does give you the lessons. So it's yeah, I'm not scared of death at all. I'm not scared of death. Let's say I just don't I know, I'm not well, then you're dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you a debt, so you are dead. Well done? You did it? How did you die?
Speaker 3: It was in me bones, it came back. I probably I'd like to I don't know. I think i'd like to die. Yeah, I'd like a comedy death. I suppose i'd like to like die a hero as well. Yeah, it was it was standing it was catching a stray bullet or defending someone.
Speaker 2: That's what I'd like to think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who was the bullet aiming for.
Speaker 2: Some poor kid that didn't deserve it?
Speaker 3: And I jumped in Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, you first so fast?
Speaker 1: All right, so you stepped in front of a kid being I mean at first it was dark, but this was really dark. Tell me this the person who you just mentioned this story of the near death experience? What was it? What? What was that?
Speaker 3: Her name is Anita Moore Johnny and it's Dying to Be Me. But I just listened to listen to theo's podcast. Yeah, theovon as A had a recent guest, who's with this, Dr Jeffrey Long I think his name is, who's studied over four thousand different things of near death experiences and the overriding themes of all of them. And her book is called Dying to Be Me and he's got a book all about it, and just the incredible peace that people experience and the recurring themes and things they couldn't possibly have known or been aware of, and so I find them really fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you tell me the recurring things?
Speaker 3: The recurring themes are an overwhelming sense of peace, an overwhelming sense that actually this is the real they talk about, oh, the real world, the real existence. A sense of a creator, a sense of or rather a source, a divine source, a sense of three hundred and sixty degree sort of vision, and other hypersenses, so it's all happening at once altogether, an awareness of other spirits that you recognize on a kind of connective level, and no fear. And then THEO in his own kind of crazy way, he says something like, you know, well, why do we have to do this bit? Why would you want to go back into your body? Why do we have to do the human bit? And another thing that occurring theme from it is that, oh, it's an absolute essential part of the experience this bit.
Speaker 2: So that all that we need to learn.
Speaker 3: And there's a really nice reassuring bit at the end of the conversation where they say, well, actually because and I think I talked about this on Lou Suannders our mutual friends and comedian Lou Sunders podcast about because she said what's the point of life? And I was It's like, and they say the same thing, it's about to do the work. You know, I think we live in an age where it's like, you know, oh, my anxiety or my this or my and there's a sort of kind of lead in with the thing.
Speaker 2: That's holding you back.
Speaker 3: I would, but and and and all these things that we're you know rightfully sort of maybe crippled by emotionally. But actually the work is to kind of connect, connect to your fellow man and get rid of all things that stop you. The hang ups, the fear, the hurt, the trauma which we all have, like in varying degrees, and and things affect us, you know. So it's about overcoming all of that to reach out and love and get us close to that spirit realm that we're all heading to eventually anyway.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, I'm interested in that. I'm interested in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is like the end of you know, Jacob Marley and Christmas Caroll. He is like, you know, you're a good man of business, and he says business, you know, mankind.
Speaker 2: Was my business.
Speaker 3: You know, all these things that all these ego things that occupy us in loads of different things, all the hang ups, all our crutches and all that sort of stuff. But actually it's about overcoming all of those so that we can see each other really be present and connect and commune and love and care for one another and all that good stuff. So yeah, really lovely conclusions and phenomenal things in these near death experiences. Like a young couple that he fell asleep at the world and he had a shared near death experience, but his fiance didn't make it, but he was very at peace and knew that.
Speaker 2: She'd gone wherever she was. He was at peace with that.
Speaker 3: And a woman that had never had sight in her whole life actually had could come back and describe things that she saw on this other side. And so it is a really phenomenal study. And it's you know, it's a doctor. He's a medical doctor that decided to go into this study, so really fascinating stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think, you know, it's.
Speaker 3: Hard to you know, once you've gone through stuff, it's hard to kind of go back and be God.
Speaker 2: That's where I was at.
Speaker 3: I was so anxious, obviously at the start of any of my diagnosis, so I was really consuming a lot of good stuff and mad stories like you know, really quoted it in the article that you referred to, but this book called cancer as a turning point where people where he worked with this guy Lachan, a psychologist, worked with people for such a long time, and he was saying what he describes as the Vienna model when he was talking to people that were dying and you know, tell me about your father, told me about your mother or this, he said, no, one got better, nobody got better. When you's like going, what what you wish you did with your life? What would you have done with this? And what could you and that these people just went well, I never traveled or you know, this is in the forties, fifties and sixties, seventies went it's really restrictive, and people did have restrictive lives, and then you know you'd have Stage four CANCU patients going off and still sending postcasts twenty five thirty years later, you know, and actually getting rid of all the weight that stops you.
Speaker 2: Doing things and going for it, the emotional weight, you know.
Speaker 1: Fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a.
Speaker 1: Different podcast, No, this is exactly what this is. Brilliant. I appreciate it. That's so interesting. And so now do you feel, because I sometimes think at smaller levels when people have when you know, when I've had it, where you meditate and you have this like, oh, you have some vision or you have some breakthrough. It feels like a breakthrough, but then it's difficult to sustain that when you go back to normal life and yeah, digging and raising your kids and all of that. Like this kind of spiritual awareness you feel and stuff like how much do you feel day to day you keep that and how much do you get caught up in that fucking parking ticket? All?
Speaker 3: Yeah, cool, So we you know, it's it's just being kind to yourself and all of that. It's daily forgiveness of yourself and others and trying to stay present. My big thing that I really had to learn on as so much of my energy field everything was all, you know, speculative, what's going to happen? When I was a teacher, whatever I've done, it's always if if, and you're going towards the future. But quite a good perhsis of bringing it back to the present and to the point of like, I don't know what I'm doing till this day?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And because you can raise a head so I can tell when that sort of teeth sort of determination front all lobe cranky, cranky, crunky energy is kicking in, and you know, you remind yourself to surrender. You remind yourself to kind of surrender and accept and even except if you're wound up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course I'm wound up.
Speaker 3: I haven't slept for a few nights, or you know, of course there's a lot going on in the world. Of course, you know, accept a sort of things. And like I say, when I know that I'm quite ratty or I'm paranoid or I'm insecure, I think, ah, the I sort of treat them like red lights warning lights on a car. I think, Okay, you've been you know, eating badly, or you've probably had a glass of wine three times, or you know you haven't slept well, like take a step back. So it's and this same woman she talks about that as well, this in this Dying to Be Me, But she says, when you know, when her business things that you think need more effort, it's the counterintuitor things to say, things are quite crunky, I'm not flowing with the universe. Step back and rest. I mean it's the same in stand up, isn't it. You know I only ever say I killed it in stand up when you know I've discerned something magic in the room, and I'm surfing that and you know, orchestraight in that. You know, I can tell my jokes. I can write a joke and I can go, oh, yeah, that was good. But there's those rare magic lights where you go yeah. What Neil Young describes as being at one with your out with breath. That's always a nice state to be, and isn't it.
Speaker 1: How is it affected you as a parent? I am assuming you're a very wonderful parent. Do you do you feel oh yeah, do you feel more? And perhaps you always were? Do you feel like this has made you a better parent? Has it made your worst parent? Like? How does it affect you with your kid?
Speaker 2: I think so it's been a bit of a journey, really, I am. Yeah, you know, we're all.
Speaker 3: Still pieces of shit. You know, I'm still a piece of shit. It's not getting twisted, you know, but.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: I am in the year.
Speaker 3: What was nice about getting canceled was like it gave me a license to be really selfish and I always missed that, you know it, Like I always wanted like I was wanting my leg in embrace when all glasses when I was in school. Do you know what I mean, it's a little bit oh not well one, there's something really nice about it, do you know what I mean. You're not allowed to say. It's like license, take cameras off. So I had quite year, being quite selfish, and I was doing a lot of stuff. Then I've actually, you know, when you're in survival mode and then you come out and I thought kids weren't in a good place, you know, last to the beginning of last year.
Speaker 2: They just weren't happy. They weren't happy at school.
Speaker 3: My little boy was very emotional and it was all coming out in different ways. So actually it was a little bit like, Okay, they need me. So it was like message received loud and clear. And I think, you know, I do think we live in a world where everyone's so busy, and it's like, oh, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I've got all this stress at work and now the kids are kicking.
Speaker 3: Off, and you know, the kids are kicking off because everything going like this weird detachment who have So I kind of I think I'm a good parent in that. I thought, okay, I'm hearing you, and you know, it felt very much like let's let's restore some balance in the force and everything.
Speaker 2: And so that that was nice.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, I think I'm a good parent in the sense of I've unlearned a lot of things.
Speaker 2: I've been a parent a long time.
Speaker 3: I had my oldest when I was young, and you know, she's certainly got the brunt of a lot of my own kind of stress and not knowing how my unhealed stuff was coming out in different ways and everything and having a lot to prove. And I think because I've taken care of myself a little bit, I've got I've got more capacity. I don't get triggered of like, ah, I can't. I haven't got the capacity for this. I'm conscious of making sure we've got you know, the language in our house. To quote my middle child, cool, your cup gets full quick, because when I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, can we get this bloody house? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they know they know who I am. So yeah, definitely balance and taking care of them. Yeah, so of course it has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, fantastic. I mean I guess we should. I guess we should probably also talk about films, yeah whatever, if we have to hang on. So do you think there's a heaven? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but not in a Philadelphia advert kind of way, in a kind of. I think that from anything I feel and understand about it, Like you talk about meditation, and I've had lots of like hypnotherapy or doing mushrooms or things that you know, when you're just like elevating.
Speaker 2: High, I think that.
Speaker 3: I think there's a light and vibrations and cosmic sort of connections are all there. I just think that we live in the world with limited exception from all of our senses, so that we all know, don't we We all know that feeling of cosmic connection when it happens, or a coincidence we might call it, or just manifestation or stuff like that. So I just think the heaven is almost like the real, the real existence, do you know what I mean? Like the real where we're no longer limited by all our sort of bullshit or something called them bodies. But like you know, I just think I do I do, I really do. I believe I don't I believe in God, I believe in heaven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me let me tell you how we babe. You're absolutely right. You're welcome in it and get rid of this bullshit as we call them bodies, and you're welcome come inside. Everyone's a big fan I want to talk to you about your life. Oh, it's filled with your favorite thing. What's your favorite thing?
Speaker 2: Chicken wings?
Speaker 1: Right, Heaven is made up of chicken wings. The savas are made of chicken wings. The bulls are made of chicken wing. You can just grab. Anything you grab is a chicken, but it's chicken wings. As far as I can see, chick and the chicken wings wanted to talk to you about your life. They won't talking about it through film. The first thing I asked you, Laura Smith, is what's the first film you remember seeing?
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's really there's I think it might be something awful like Nightmare on Elm Street or something like From Behind the Sofa and awareness of my brother and his friend watching it and being really terrified. I think it might be something like that. I well, I think you could date it probably five or six, but you know, I don't think I saw it. But it was on and it was really scary. I feel like that was a big thing. Yeah, that's really scary. Yeah, that's really scary. That's a really scary start into films. I was very scared of that when I was a little little child. Yeah, it's very scary.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 1: And yeah, do you like the scared? What's the scariest film you've ever seen?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's probably still up there. I think that. I think that affected me.
Speaker 3: That was in my head, this idea of dreams and things that could threaten you. What's the scariest film? I mean, I'm not good with scary. I think Wickerman's the scariest film.
Speaker 2: Do you know that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I know that.
Speaker 3: It's because it's so I think that's much clever scarre, isn't it. That's creepy what's going on? Paranoid and also the kind of midsommer sort of paganism and floatiness and loveliness, And I think, what a weird comment on the world that we live in. Do you know what I mean of like, yeah, everything's fine, but oh you're just we just sacrificed virgins, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 3: And you know, in that sort of I think some films pull their punches, don't they. It's like shut Island Off and that very scary. But then it was do you see what I mean? And it was he paranoid a very funny thing to have paranoias totally confirmed.
Speaker 1: That's quite cool, isn't it. Yeah, that's true. Yeah, all those paranoid films, they're always right. I've never I don't think i've seen a film where it's about someone thinking something's going on and it turns out it wasn't exactly The Father, but that's about dementia.
Speaker 3: Oh god, what a beautiful film though, How how incredible was The Father?
Speaker 2: But what's the one with John Goodman?
Speaker 1: The Cloverfield Lane Cloverfield Paradox Cloverfield Lane. Yes, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: Double paranoid because is this guy as so in a weird way? Yes, her paranoia was wrong. He wasn't weird, but he was. Paranoia was correct, it was out. So that's a weird one, isn't it. Actually that's that's great. Feel Actually that's a good thing. Ten Cloverfield Lane, that's what ye so wicked man? Do you like being scared?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I'm not good at it. I'm not I'm not good at that. Yeah, I'm not one that wants to watch sore or anything like that. I feel like I like being scared. I like being on edge. I've just started rewatching The Fargos after watching Fargo season five, and and you're you're like that the whole time.
Speaker 2: I found that I'm really creepy, so that is great.
Speaker 3: But when I don't like horror, I don't like showing the nastiest possible thing. I think that's well cheap to do that. Like to just be in your own head and imagination is brilliant, you know. That's why I think I like older horror films like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about crying? What's the film that made you cry the most? You have a big crier. Yeah, I'm a big crier. I love crying. Oh I love crying as a kid.
Speaker 3: And this might be actually one of an early films that I watched as a kid. I feel like she is quite a dark start because there was loads like Labyrinth was always on, it felt like and Lady Killers that seemed to be a film that we had a lot. We watched that a lot. That was one of the few vhss we had. But Champ, oh my god, I remember crying, you know, the boxing film Champ with John Boyd.
Speaker 2: The Champ, Oh my god, Champ.
Speaker 3: I'm going to play that at my funeral just to make sure people cry. Just that desperation of like, oh my god, and then I remember my girl. I cried so hard at my girl and then cried and cried then and so you have rew.
Speaker 2: I cried. I went into I.
Speaker 1: Wish I was in that.
Speaker 2: I wanted to be like the clubs. I just was. It seemed I just so was so emotionally moved by it.
Speaker 3: And then the fact that it was a little girl that I kind of was the same major as I was.
Speaker 2: Just crying out a jealousy by.
Speaker 1: The end, like a weird not you wanted your friend.
Speaker 2: To It felt so tragic. Yeah, I love a cry.
Speaker 1: I like someone with such low self esteem that they don't think anyone will cry at the funerals.
Speaker 2: The champion.
Speaker 3: I just I just can't anything like that. You can't believe. I mean, I cried at Lion King. I remember crying at Lion King. Anything that that, Oh, so yeah, that was a big deal.
Speaker 1: What about a film that you love that is not critically acclaimed, most people don't like it, but you love it unconditionally.
Speaker 2: Rocky four.
Speaker 3: Is a perfect perfect in it Because I realized I like a lot of sequels as well, do you know what I mean? Like, I'm like, yeah, give me make it bigger, mad better, Like, do you know what I mean? Like, yeah, I'm actually sitting through Rocky You're like, can we get to the mad Montages please?
Speaker 1: It's taking it Rocky four. He sorts the Cold War out.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean.
Speaker 3: They've got the formula down. And I love all the Creed films. Love both Creed films.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love.
Speaker 3: They're really good, I know, and just yeah, all day long. I could watch those sorts of things I love. Yeah, I've always loved sequels I love I think I love Ghostbusters to modern Ghostbusters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I do too. There we said it, Yeah, there we said it. It's not it's just so it's not a crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a crime. I love it.
Speaker 3: Back to the Future too, more, the Backs to the Future, I think I like them all. Yeah, give it more.
Speaker 1: Give better than Greece list.
Speaker 3: That was another one of the few VHS's. I mean, Michelle firefucking do no wrong, can she?
Speaker 1: Though you can do whatever she wants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love Greece so much. Though I can't, I can't, I can't.
Speaker 2: I do love.
Speaker 3: I love Greece too in the sense that people pan it in that context, do you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But it's like, come on, it's grease. Greece is perfect.
Speaker 1: Listen, we both know, we both know it. Yeah too, is fucking gray. It's so good. It's also more coherent. I think the ghost ghas all over the place.
Speaker 3: It's all over the place. I'll tell you what. The new one, the Afterlife. Oh my god, what a film? Oh tic tic tick love it? What about a film that you used to love.
Speaker 1: You loved it very much, but you've watched it recently and you've got I don't like this no more because you might have changed.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot of films in that category for me, because you go, oh my god, my kids need to watch this. So like Ghostbuster, this one you're like nah, And there's like, you know, get people get ghost giving heads and.
Speaker 2: You know, you go the eighties. There's a lot of cocaine in.
Speaker 3: A lot of development rooms in the eighties because you're just like what was actually happening? Even the Goonies, you're like this quite weird crack. And the pace of films I can't believe. I slow films are like can you cut or something quickly? And can there be one hundred millions in it, please, Like, so there's that, But Breakfast Club is one The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Okay tell me, because I've got thoughts on this.
Speaker 3: There was just this sort of like like we loved it. It's so iconic, you know, the walking off at the end, the edgy ness and all of that, but.
Speaker 2: Actually the edgy people in it aren't edgy, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: He gets stoned and starts doing backflips, you know, the whole tape in his ass, cheeks to get like the cry. It's so American violin and playing kind of it's not it just doesn't work. It's like the teachers the best thing in it. I think I love, Yeah, I love love them all, but it's just it just it just.
Speaker 2: Doesn't work for me anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sorry, and that's something I loved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was my answer to this question was The Breakfast Club, because I watched it a few years ago and I was like, oh my god, I hate them. I hate all of them. Yeah, I hate these whiny little fucking Oh my dad wanted me to get good grades. I was like, shut up. But I have to say I have reevaluated again. I was on a plane the other day and for some reason, I was like, maybe I should give this another chance. I watched it again. I was like, do you know what, Yes, it's got many many issues, but I get it again as in I sort of go because what I think I hadn't noticed the second time is there's a really good scene with the teacher and the janitor where the teacher's going these fucking kids and the janetor goes, what are you talking about? It's always this, You were this, they were this, there'll be you. Like there's an awareness of of course you find this annoying, but you and they'll be there. And I was like, oh, all right.
Speaker 3: But I just think how iconically like I love like pretty in Pink that that's never you know, for because it was just Molly ring Ward was every week she so like that still stands for me, and like ducky and I just love Yeah, I just love all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily the film itself is good, but the experience you had watching it will always make it iconic to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, I might I want to try and get this answer about crying. I about to close my eyes. So my dad died when I was quite young. I was ten, and you know my mom. Now I have kids, and I've realized I'm exactly the same age as my mom was when she was widowed, and I just thought they were all, well, you know, that's kind of crazy, and I don't know what. I don't know how my mom kept us together because she just made it look easy, no help from no one for kids. And her birthday was in the January, a few months after he died, and she took us all to watch Home Alone Too Lost New.
Speaker 2: York, and then we had a McDonald's afterwards.
Speaker 3: And I think even as a ten year old, I knew this is what wasn't my forty two year old mother, because I'm just a selfish sort of brat. But at this age of my forty two year old mother's sort of dream birthday, do you know. Yeah, But she gathered us together and took us and it felt like a real treat and there was a real sort of you know when you are enjoying that sense of togetherness. I sort of look back at that time and think of all of us as on a sort of raft, do you know what I mean, like together, and it just I just loved that film, and I just feel like I think I knew at the time how kind that was with my mum and how I would probably watch stretch. It was, you know, even financially, I'm a patronizer to sort of do that and do a thing that was a treat for us, you know, when you know you remember kindnesses time sort of thing. Of course it's gonna be kind to she as that mum, but that was a big one. I feel like I just loved that film because of that. I always associated with that.
Speaker 1: Did she love the film? Remember? Or is it like you do you think she enjoys the film.
Speaker 2: I think we all loved Home Alone.
Speaker 3: We were sort of you know any I feel like when I was a kid, anything we loved it had to be loved by jewelry. Even this getting ready for this podcast was like, there's been there's been chats. There's been big chats. There's been like you can't forget that, you know, like you know, there's been big memory lane chats. And I was the other answer possibly for this was like one time me and my sister bunks school because Dad was home and you know where he was, you know, he just rather than he knew we weren't really ill, so he took us much Ghostbusters two again, do you know? So that was a good thing that I still loved, you know, I mean, like that naughtiness. But yeah, I think she loved the film, and I think we all loved it. We love we all enjoyed it, but it was just a kind of Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we were all.
Speaker 3: Anticipating it with excitement, and even though we you know, I just think of it as a nice experience that stands out as a cinema experience more than anything else.
Speaker 1: May I ask, because you're mom'ster the life, Yes, she is.
Speaker 2: She's she's in her seventy.
Speaker 3: My mom, and she's, oh yeah, she thinks she's gonna she thinks she's gonna live forever. She cycles everywhere, and she keeps herself busy, and she's always. Yeah, she just thinks she she doesn't want to die at all.
Speaker 2: She just does. She doesn't like old people. She's like, oh God, they take her knees like she's just something.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: So she's she's.
Speaker 3: She's I think she sort of lives like one of these older Japanese people in the Blue Zone, you know, like she's just stays busy, she's always crafting, she's always like switched on and keeps herself busy and all around the kids and everything, and just so she's yeah, she's she's cool, she's fine.
Speaker 1: Will you send her this podcast? I would like her to hear that story.
Speaker 2: She'll go, no, don't say nothing about me, don't mug me.
Speaker 1: Up up nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably like one of those ones like you know what, it's like, what did you do this summer holidays?
Speaker 2: And Mama, he wants to.
Speaker 1: Know come back to get that. I feel that way about like small talk, like how how was your weekend? Something fucking business? What you have to.
Speaker 2: I'm here now on let's talk about what.
Speaker 1: We're being present. What is the film you most relate to?
Speaker 3: Oh god, this is really hard and this is the hardest question.
Speaker 2: Do people find this difficult?
Speaker 1: A lot of people find this one difficult. Yeah. Yeah, it's rare that people go, I know this one, but sometimes they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I find this really difficult. I'd say there's shows that can relate.
Speaker 2: To that bit of that bit. Do you know what, though?
Speaker 3: I mean, as ridiculous as it is, Kill Bill Volume two, I love Volume two where we kind of get the kind of okay, now we're cooking with gassing. And then she gives this speech and I have such a love hate relation with credit tarantine and films and what he thinks you can get away with.
Speaker 2: But when she talks.
Speaker 3: About because I had my child when I was young, when her priority shifted when she got a positive pregnancy test, all of a sudden, you know, I kind of attribute my whole life to my oldest child, because you know that kind And there's a bit where I love it when she curls up with her and there's this nice bit of it says, you know, the lioness was reunited with her cub and always well in the jungle. I always feel like that when I've been away from the kids. And also I fucking never let shit go. If anyone's going to go on a killing round page for something like it would be me.
Speaker 2: I can still talk about minor things.
Speaker 1: So you're how can I ask how your eldest isn't it she's twenty one and wow, wow, and are you still super super super love.
Speaker 2: For Oh yeah, we are.
Speaker 3: She's she's phenomenal, and she's she really blows me away. She's you know, we just were having a laugh talking about this categories and all that. And it's funny hearing her answers because her answers were like mad.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh no, yea, remember that feelm more.
Speaker 3: You know, things that I passed on to her and and stuff that she loves us like that's that's wild. So it's quite nice hearing it from her perspective. And yeah, she she's really lovely. She's I'm proud of it.
Speaker 2: I just think, you know, she's she's really lovely.
Speaker 1: Kids, she's a bloody woman. Please yep, law Smith, what's the sexiest film we've ever seen? Oh?
Speaker 2: God, I mean this.
Speaker 3: Is so there's so many things, right, Okay, I'm going to say a few because weird science.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, I that's the answer.
Speaker 3: Something people said it come on, that was so sexy. Just everything about it's sexy. Robert Danny j is sexy in it. Kelly Kelly, Kelly the rock LeBrock, You're not. I mean, that's I think maybe I had a couple of years. It's just a teenage boy. You know, my daughter goes cool. If I had a tailor, yeah, wagged it and just they're kind of you know, I think, Yeah, all of it. You don't explain it, does it. It's just sexy, sexy, sexy, mad, sexy, brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very sexy, very sexy film. I mean they make the perfect women, They make the perfect women out of a computer and yeah, getting LeBrock and you go. You can't argue with that.
Speaker 2: You can't argue with that.
Speaker 3: The fashions in it, the kind of lace gloves, the kinds of I mean, the baddies.
Speaker 2: I just fancy both the baddies in it and the good boys.
Speaker 1: All of it, the good boys, the bad boys and the good boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of it. Just didn't know where to direct your sexual desire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it was just sucking all over.
Speaker 2: That film, even the rocket at the end, Like.
Speaker 1: Even when back turns into a poo. Yeah, it's a weird film. He does get turned into a giant poo at the end. Yeah, there's a weird bit in the Jazz Blues anyway. Oh yeah, yeah, when.
Speaker 2: He gets stoned and he's saw give talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which he also does in the Breakfast Club. Yeah, a thing, that's his thing. I guess there's a subject of traveling bonus worrying. Why dones a filmy found arousing you weren't sure you should.
Speaker 3: Well, it's sort of the dirty version of we'd science, because it.
Speaker 2: Is next face that you're never the coming.
Speaker 3: Of age sexy stuff is kind of like where it's at, isn't it, because you're just like, oh my god, year, we all knew that sort of feeling and you can project all your fancacies onto it. And I remember like Rita Soo and Bob Too, which I know is a really sexy film, but it's so problematic and so wrong.
Speaker 2: But that kind of dirty sex, you're just like, yeah, give me.
Speaker 3: That disgusting it's my turn next sort of rotten sex. And and with that, Shane Meadows does it really well as well, these sort of the kind of dark and offbeat like a Room for Romeo Brass when Pandy Constant characters just like Boner in a Wife fronts and it's all just like gross, but you know, any sort of you can it so recalls all this weird house part is a weirder people, you know, blurred lines and kind of shouldn't just rotten sort of sexyess I suppose I mean too.
Speaker 1: There you go, no shape rotten is a great.
Speaker 3: Oh but yeah, but Yeah, there's obviously other like weird things where you're like, you know, ThunderCats and then that was a show, but you know you shouldn't fancy cats.
Speaker 2: ThunderCats were sick, really are Yeah? Thanks, okay, thank you, Panthro.
Speaker 1: Listen, you're absolutely what is objectively the greatest film of all tap?
Speaker 3: Oh god, this is so difficult. No one can answer this properly, can they?
Speaker 2: Surely?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: My cousin Vinnie, that's it. It's my cousin Vinnie. That is it. I've got to say it.
Speaker 1: Academy would win it. That is the great. Yeah, it's a perfectly structured, perfectly and perfectly acted film.
Speaker 2: It's perfect. It's I mean Jaws. I think Jurassic Park could be it as well.
Speaker 1: Jassic Park might be it.
Speaker 3: I love Steven Spielberg, I've realized. But I'm gonna have to go with my cousin Vinnie. Oh, I don't know, this is so I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a it's a really good film. It's perfect. It's what it is. It's the greatest film time maybe.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you what else is the perfect film?
Speaker 3: And how I how I tried to think about this was now This might be my real answer, because how I tried.
Speaker 2: To think about it is, you know, like the perfect book.
Speaker 3: You go, Okay, that's a perfect thing because it's the it's perfect prose, perfectly structural, or a perfect song or a perfect I thought, what is the perit use of film and all that it can come with, like the soundtracks and camera work and structure and story and plotting and casting. Friday is perfect. You're right, everyone's got a theme tune.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's a triumph over adversity.
Speaker 2: You know, they get the girl.
Speaker 3: That there's guns, there's there's parents, you know, passing on wisdom. Like Mama said, if this was if this film was set in a kind of you know, quaint Portuguese fishing village, it'd been probably held as the greatest film all time. But it's you know, in La, that's in La, and it's just a beautiful story. It's funny, it's silly, it's you can watch it again and again. It's quotable. It's a perfectly, lovely, beautifully structured.
Speaker 2: Thing, isn't it.
Speaker 1: God, You're right, You're right on both counts. You have to pick on Friday. On Friday, Yeah, I think you're right, yeah, great, it's perfect. You get it. What is the film you could or have watched the most over and over again?
Speaker 2: Okay, what if?
Speaker 3: I probably it's changed over the years as a youngster's commitments, and I probably watched The Commitments.
Speaker 2: I think I love soul music because of it.
Speaker 3: I think I love I think I love Wilson Pickett and it's reading and Aretha Franklin because of this film.
Speaker 2: And I think that's from my formative years.
Speaker 3: I think I've watched the I think I could act out the Commitments for you right now starts finish. Do you know I've watched it that much? But in recent years.
Speaker 2: In recent years it might be when Harry met Sally. We watch it a lot. Me and my husband watch a lot.
Speaker 1: It's perfect, that's a perfect film. I haven't seen The Commitments in a long time, but think with the clitments is I thought it's brilliant, the music, it's brilliant, et cetera. I think I find it really depressing it because how it sort of all falls apart and I think it's really had like yeah, but I maybe need to sit again. But my reason I haven't gone back to it. I think I found it depressing in the end? Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, of course. I mean that's just the Irish for you. They love it, didn't they?
Speaker 1: They love it?
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, maybe I liked it because of that.
Speaker 3: I think I'm a little bit of a tragic, weird day like that, because you know, give give me Grease flying off into the sky, give me eight mile, you know, give me Rocky.
Speaker 2: You you want the win at the end, But there's just something.
Speaker 3: It's no Rocky for no, no, no, you're right what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: But yes, all right, I'll have to watch that again. God, I'm busy. All right, what's the worst film you've ever seen?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Gosh, negative.
Speaker 3: It's hard to be negative, do you know. I mean it's again, it's the hype films. I'm going to inception. Like every time you say inception, weren't that good? People, every man will go I didn't get it. But it's one concept, Like it's one concept played out over the whole film. And I don't know whether that's just me. I'm just like, okay, yeah, it's all like I get it.
Speaker 2: You know when someone.
Speaker 3: Tells you yeah, I get it, and then they keep talking.
Speaker 2: That's what that film was Yeah, get it, inception.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. Yeah, I mean that is a very good description.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got it. Go on, crack on, do your little thing.
Speaker 1: Sold your cities up, Come on.
Speaker 2: Tell you what.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what I watched the other night though as well. And this is something I probably used a casino. That's a bad film. That is an awful film.
Speaker 1: Is it? Oh?
Speaker 3: It does not standard test Oh, it does not standard test time, and it makes no sense.
Speaker 2: Watch it.
Speaker 3: I think Scorsese wrote it after he shot it, because he really Listen, watch it again. I'm telling you, watch it again. You'll go what is actually happening here? It is fur coaton Ni because it is, honestly it is.
Speaker 1: It's bad.
Speaker 2: It's genuinely bad.
Speaker 1: Wow, Laura coming in hot?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that might be in my you know what, I had this breakfast club that I love that film, like I love Scorsese.
Speaker 1: But you're taking out, Yeah, come come coming in.
Speaker 2: I've got friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, you're in comedy. You're in a world when you're very funny. What's the film that made you laugh the most? La?
Speaker 3: Oh god, oh this is really hard. This is so difficult to Oh, this is so difficult. I mean, dumb and Dumber might be up there.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I laughed at that film Man that is up there.
Speaker 3: But you know also I just Napoleon Dynamite will make me laugh every every bit of it. There's just too many films.
Speaker 2: There's two.
Speaker 3: I mean, Airplane is just they're just you know, I know these are all obvious ones, I know, but they're so funny. The Castle, I love Australian telling me he's dreaming. We can't I quote stuff. I quote a lot, you know that kind of go ye, my husband's what do.
Speaker 2: You call this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Ice cream? It's just I love it. I love it. I just love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the Castle wor up there as well? What's it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The Hunt for the Wilder People. That's that's a joy as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, beautiful, beautiful, Yeah, Antipothy and stuff.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: Laura Smith, you have been an absolute joy. You've been brilliant, you've been wonderful, you've been deep, you've been funny, you've been amazing. However, when he was walking down the street and someone was shooting at a kid, and you were like, you were like, not not on my street. And you jumped in front of the bullet. Yeah, and because you're very fast, and the bullet hit you straight through the chest. Banks went for you but dead. He died, but you didn't. You died quite saying. The kid came and the kid said thank you, and the person shooting the kid went, oh, I'll never do this again. I've learned my lesson. And you said, that's right, you have. And then you said to the kid earned this, and then you and then you close your eyes. And I was walking past with a coffee. You know what I'm like, And I was like Laura and the kids, so, yeah, Laura just took a bullet from me, and I went, fuck, you know that was nice for her, Yes, she went, And the kid went, I don't even know her, but she has told me to earn this. I've probably got to live a good life now. And the guy with the guy and went, yeah, I actually feel bad about all of this, so I'm probably going to live a good life too. And I went, well, I'm glad you both learned your lesson. Could you help me with the body And they say, yeah, do you need? What do you need? I said, couple of axes? We get They grab a cup of as we chopped up, choppy up, chopped up, We get you in the cuff of stuff you're in. There's more than I was expecting. The coffin is absolutely rammed. There's only enough room in this coffin for me to side wind DVD into the side you'd take across to the other side. And in Chicken Wing Heaven as movie every night? What film are you taking to show the chicken wings in Chicken Wing Heaven when it's your movie night? Laura Smith?
Speaker 2: Oh, do you know what it is?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Because like I said, I'm so close to all my family. Everything's like by jewelry and well there's general consensus and everything. I feel like Harry met Sally. I share with my husband strettly bought my share with all all my sisters. Friday, I definitely just share with my brother, copied him. You know all of that stuff, right. I feel like my cousin Vinny is the film that's like, this is Matta, you know what I mean. I've got I've got a whole ki low of chicken wings and it's me.
Speaker 2: It's me and.
Speaker 3: Bring it outfits and it's perfect, perfect courtroom drama. Pisces all over, a few good men. I mean it's just perfect. It's the perfect thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's my cousin in here.
Speaker 1: Lauris Smith. Thank you. Is there anything you would like to tell people to look out for to watch for in the coming months with Laura Smith?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I am touring Bamier.
Speaker 3: I'm touring in the UK and Ireland, so there'll be a September October leg as well. A lot of the other stuff sold out Hatty Empire in June, so that's really exciting. And it's called Living My Best Life, which is slightly tongue in cheap but also really true.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Laura, I'd love this so much. Thank you for doing it. I have thank you for everything.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I think everyone's going to leave this a better person.
Speaker 2: And thank you kid, I say, did Laura, Oh nah, that.
Speaker 1: Is that's a bit of you. That jumping in front of the bullet for a kid you don't know.
Speaker 3: That's a bit of you, of course, and thank you, and just it's so exciting. All my family been so excited I'm doing this because it's such huge friends and you're such a start, and it's so exciting watching you.
Speaker 2: Do all the big, exciting, shiny things that I deserve. So shut shop shut, that's the secret.
Speaker 1: I want to go to your family for me and I will stop the recording and have a wonderful death. Good day to you, Laura. So that was episode two hundred and eighty eight. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forward Slash Brett gold Steam for the extra fifteen minutes of Chat Secrets beginnings and ending that video with Laura. Go cha, Apple Podcasts. Give us a five. Start writing and write about the films the most to you and why if you want, you don't have to You can do whatever you want, live your life. Thank you so much to Laura for giving me her time. Thank you all for listening. I very much hope you're well. Go see Laura on tour. Thanks to Scooby, Pip and Distrac some pieces of Network. Thanks the Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks Adam Richison for the graphics, at least light them for the photography. Come and join me next week for an absolute banger of a guest. But I hope you're all well. That is it for now. In the meantime, thank you for listening, have a lovely week, and please, now more than ever, be excellent to each other. Six