Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says? So? Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. Okay, you may have taken a look at the title of the episode today and thought, girl, what Because this show has always centered around women's experiences, It's part of my mission. So if you're wondering why are we focusing on men, here is the reason. Aside from the fact that I've been sort of obsessing over the idea of modern masculinity and the crisis that everybody's talking about over the last few years, I looked at the statistics about the state of modern manhood and you're really shocking, and frankly, I think impossible to ignore. There's data everywhere that draws a dire picture of young men and boys grappling with emotional and economic and cultural pressures. Here's a startling statistic. The CDC says that the suicide rate among males in twenty twenty three was approximately four times higher than the rate among females. Males make up fifty percent of the population, but nearly eighty percent of suicides. Oh, that statistic breaks my heart. Man, woman, non binary. I hate that people are feeling sad, like that feeling deep pain right, And I doubt I'm telling you something you don't already know, because the past few years we've been bombarded with headlines about how men and boys are languishing, falling behind, isolated, and lost. But I feel what gets lost in those statistics is that we are all feeling the consequences of this our workplaces, our relationships, and our families. So today's guest is doctor Gary Barker. He's an international researcher who has spent decades studying men and boys across cultures, and whose TED talk on masculinity has reached millions. After witnessing a school shooting as a teenager, he really committed his entire career to the big questions surrounding modern manhood. Here he is in his twenty twenty four TED.
Speaker 2: Talk about forty to fifty percent of men in the world believe in a version of manhood that goes like this, I've got to outperform the other at all costs. I can't show that I'm vulnerable or ask for help. That sex is about conquests, not about intimacy and connection. These are things that men talk about. They create realities.
Speaker 1: Gary has spent his career having hard conversations, asking difficult questions about what is actually going on with men, because whether we like it or not, the state of men is shaping the world women are trying to live in, and at its core, that's what the feminist movement has always been about, not just advancing women, but also creating a world that is more equal, more humane, and more free for everyone, Which means we can't fully understand women's experiences without also understanding what's happening with men. So today I wanted to invite Gary on the pod to tackle some tough questions that I've been asking, that my friends have been talking about, and I want to do it together. A big one that we're circling today is what role do women play in the modern day crisis of manhood? And are we being asked to carry more of that than we should. It's time to question everything with doctor Gary Barker. Gary, you've spent decades searching men and boys across cultures, and this show has really always centered around women's experiences. I think some people tuning in today might say, why are we discussing or centering men? I have my opinions, but I want to ask you why is it important for women to care about the state of men and masculinity in the world right now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Where do we start with that one? Well, thanks for having me given that caveat. I go to a lot of spaces where there's kind of what's that guy doing here? And why is he talking about this? I mean from the simplest level, you know, when men are harmed, we harm others, and women are often at the end of that. If we think about you love men, you live with men, You've got to figure out what's up with us? We love you, we live with you, We've got to figure out what's up with you. The stuff that we care about to help women be their full selves in the world, whether it's workplaces, politics, do you get to have voice in all the places you should have voice? It's typically men who are in the way you're also This is not to put the blame on women, but to say you're also you know, sort of consumers and bridge users of men. You also influence how we want to be in the world. We look to you to say, are we cool? Are we attractive? So we're in it together. There are definitely places where men want to talk amongst men, and women want to talk amongst women. But I do think the messiness of making the world better for women needs men and men need to be part of the messiness of making the world better for women.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like men care about the state of manhood and masculinity right now?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not something we're going to sit around at the bar and say, hey, get me an ipa and let's talk about what's up with men. It's not like folks want to come and say, Gary, tell me about your research on men and masculinities. It's in the water, right It's what we're drinking. It's men's confusion. It's how politicians and others are taking advantage of it. It's not an easy conversation because part of the way manhood works is you don't stop and talk about it. You just get out there and do shit.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you something I learned from your research and it's one of the reasons I care about this topic. Yeah, you've stated that fifty percent of American men have seriously contemplated suicide. That is so heartbreaking and so alarming to me, and regardless of gender as a human being, that hurts me.
Speaker 2: And you know the number if we look at young men eighteen to twenty five, it's about forty percent in the last two weeks. I mean, you know, if we look at CDC numbers and other folks who work in mental health, the numbers tell us that young people are feeling what is this planet we're on? I mean, there's a lot of reasons to be anxious about life. There is a crisis of loneliness. And one of the things related to that is do I feel I've got purpose and reason for being here. I think we're really worried about with young men and men in general, is that we don't ask for help. The overall suicide rates of men compared to women attempt more men are two thirds to three quarters of suicide depending on the country those who carry it out, and so part of it is because manhood doesn't allow you to say, I need help. I'm really on edge. I don't think my life has much meaning. Those are words that are not very easy for men to express, not that it's easy for women. But there's more communication, there is more reaching out to friends, there is more kind of social acceptability of women asking for help. So my colleagues and I, who carried out that research, are very concerned about that. It doesn't surprise mental health professionals. It doesn't surprise teachers often, which is in it of itself, is a problem because we see the crisis of loneliness and disconnection that so many young men are facing. And again it's not that young women are all what a wonderful world this is at the moment, necessarily, but there is more a sense of solidarity and I can talk about it and reach out for help.
Speaker 1: I'm interested in the word you used, loneliness crisis, loneliness epidemic. I've often heard this called a crisis, the masculinity crisis. Do you consider it a crisis?
Speaker 2: Yes. The way we set up manhood in general, it's like a walking crisis. Right. You're supposed to be the protector, the provider. You're always ready to have sex. The list is long of what you're supposed to do that none of us really achieve it. Particularly in a capitalist economy that has a lot of stuff for a few people and not much for lots of others. You're sort of set up for failure. So it's a crisis, you know, as a permanent state. Add to that an economy that feels unstable, a planet that's partly overheating and maybe on fire in some places, a world that says, you know, women can do all these things too, So we're not quite sure what our role is. You've got, like the crisis is catching even more momentum behind it, So yes, I do think there's something called a crisis, something that's already on shaking around.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty three, you did a beautiful Ted talk and you pointed to two instances that really led you to this work. Will you share those with us?
Speaker 2: Sure? One of those that I started in the Ted talk was about US school shooting that I witnessed in the late seventies in suburban Houston, Texas. Way back at the beginning when the US started to talk about things that we now call school shootings mass shootings. We now have this vocabulary that's made them almost normal. Last time I looked at the numbers, there's something like two hundred and fifty thousand of us in the US who have witnessed or survived a shooting at our school. Crazy numbers. And in that slow motion thing when traumatic things happen in your life, as you look at that and say what's going on? Later on able to look and say it was a young man following the script about manhood in front of the rest of us said, and I don't share this lightly, it's tough stuff to talk about, stood up in front of about one hundred of us and said, you stole my girlfriend and you're going to pay, and he executed him in front of us. He wanted it to be seen. He announced why he was doing it. Obviously there's lots of other reasons he was doing it, causes, but it was, as has been in the last forty plus years, mostly young men with weapons who are carrying out these crimes. They are tragedies that we see forthcoming. So making sense of like how do we make manhood? So we all knew the challenges that these two boys had faced. Early on, teachers saw them, probably tried to help family stuff, access to guns. The list is long, but there's a script about manhood that was behind it. It did not in that particular moment. It was a lot of years in making sense of it and saying, where do we go with this? How do we understand how we make young men?
Speaker 1: So great question though, because I think there's a lot of directions experiencing something like that could take you, and you ran towards research in this way, can you point back to why?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, you know, the first part of my career was working with survivors of violence, whether they were refugee children in Central America, street youth and Colombia, young men and favelas in Rio, young men and women in other settings of high violence. I felt like I needed to do this, and I think partly where I wanted to look up stream was to say, we need to do that. We must provide support to those who are survivors of violence. But how do we look upstream if we want to break the cycle? What is it that leads men to do this? And part of my work led me to work in favelas in Rio, which you could think folks normally have ideas that, oh, these are places of lots of violence, police violence, gang violence. All that's true, but day to day you see more acts of resistance to violence than you do violence. And so looking at that, I said, how do we understand all these young men in settings like this who don't go on to use violence? So research for me was an excuse to ask questions. Tell me about your life, how has that gone? What helped you get through? Why didn't you go this way the same way that your brother or your peer did? So not research is like a cold, you know, paper that sits on an academic website, but a reason to engage in questions, to say, tell me your story. I'll tell you a bit of mine. Could I understand from there how we make nonviolence? That's really been my research question.
Speaker 1: What do you understand about yourself now that you didn't see in yourself? Then it took me a.
Speaker 2: Lot of years to use feeling words about what happened.
Speaker 1: Because would you intellectualize it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Of course, And you talk about what happened, not how I felt about what happened? Right, it was this incident, right, So you I do that too. Yeah, it's what we need to from you know, traumatic events, difficult events to make sense of what was the stuff that happened, So let me think through the actions, but then to stop and say how did I feel about that? How did this affect me?
Speaker 1: Well, it hurts. That's when you start trying.
Speaker 2: And we're not supposed to do that. And you could also tell that lots of people around you, because of their deep discomfort, they didn't want to deal with you feeling traumatic about it because teachers, you know, kind of felt they were responsible for keeping you safe. My parents had lots of difficulty with it as well, because it's really tough now that I'm a parent looking and going, damn, I feel responsible for everything that happens to her and I couldn't be there to protect you. So I can understand that deep discomfort. And then most of the day we walk around acting like it's all okay, So you talk about what happened, not the feeling part. So I think that was sort of years later that someone asked me what did you feel about what happened that day? And then you could just sort of let it all go of, like, oh, yeah, what did you feel? Fear, deep sadness, anger at the part that this should not have happened, Lots of things could have been done upstream helpless, which is not really easy for men that were so conditioned to say we can do something like that. There was nothing we could do to make it better. There are folks who work in military and police, etc. Who have seen lots of folks be killed. But I think you must feel tragedy and deep harm when you see another human being's life taken far earlier than it should have been, and you know the pain both for the young man who killed the other as well as the one who was killed.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting across from you thinking I wonder who you would have been had that incident not occurred, which is maybe a useless question, but it's just so wild to me how that incident really changed the whole course of your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there were other pieces that were there. My father was a social worker. He passed about three years ago. My siblings were adopted. We had foster children throughout my childhood, and all the stories or all the reasons that children ended up in needing out of home care was mostly about men, violence, neglect, harm that men caused. My moving to work with people who are affected by trauma and violence and asking that deeper question I think was definitely provoked by witnessing that shooting. The belief that there were other ways of thinking about manhood and other versions of manhood that were not violent, was definitely planted, you know, with my dad and his deep ethic and political cause of care.
Speaker 1: How beautiful to have had that.
Speaker 2: He's a cool guy.
Speaker 1: So in all the conversations that you're having, in all the rooms you're in talking about masculinity, is there something that you feel like is actually missing from the conversation.
Speaker 2: A lot of things.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think, well, like that's the conversation I want to have with you today, aiming so you.
Speaker 2: Know you asked before about the crisis. Yes there's a crisis. Yes we've got suicide and loneliness. But I think more focus on the solutions that are in plain sight. And I think we spent a lot of time talking about how to pick up the pieces of men who have been harmed, in men who cause harm. How do we flip into what is it that you know, phils men's heart? What is it that really we're passionate about that we care about who and what do we love? Because so many of the conversations have been around what men are not doing the portion of care work that we're not doing. A family that we're not supporting, the violence that we carried out, the mental health services that we're not seeking. Yes, we got to look at all the problems, but it feels like the solution's part of it. I think what I find missing in the room a lot is to see men as caring, feeling fully warm blooded human beings who give a damn about things that are beyond you know, sports and other things that we can give a damn about those two, But often a lot of our energy seems to be at superficial stuff and we don't talk about the deeper stuff.
Speaker 1: What are men talking about in rooms that they don't say out loud with women in the room.
Speaker 2: Depends on who starts a conversation a lot of times, but if we can get down to, you know, feeling honest, it's confusion. So I'm father of a daughter and you know, raise partly in Brazil, partly in the US, and there were all these whatever you want to call them, scripts, ideas, stories, heroines to point or two that said you can be anything, And I don't think we've had a similar space for men to say it's not as easy. It's not the same as what it was for our dads and for our grandfathers, and you know, a generation or half generation earlier.
Speaker 1: You don't think that men feel like this is like a very sort of obvious example. But like, we haven't had a female president. So the idea of like you can't be what you can't see, I think people point to that. I think men have been in almost every space. So help me understand what you mean more deeply.
Speaker 2: So flip that around. We've never had you know, a first gentleman, right of like, what is it like to be the man who supports his partner interesting in a heterosexual relationship to be the president of the most powerful country in the world. Right, So, I think that's part of the flip side. Where do we hold you up for being a stay at home dad? Where do we give you, you know, sort of lessons of how to be a fully emotionally resilient and resident human being.
Speaker 1: Right, So you're saying in sort of these new roles that weren't Yeah, that makes a lot of Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't mean no, we don't need more. Yes, it's always good to have, you know, some role models as engineers and rocket scientists. There's enough men in that space, but yeah, in the space that says women can be there too. And if men used to think my unique role is to be this provider, protector, et cetera. If you want to go on that list, what about the other stuff? Because women can do all those things, what have we told men about? What else can you be besides? Am I only just the money that I earned? And after that, I feel, yeah, there's a huge sense of economic uncertainty. The jobs that kind of used to feel like mostly men's jobs are either not there or now you're competing with the whole world, not just men, for those other jobs. And then second, you know, guys will start talking about relationship confusion. What is it to be in relationships these days?
Speaker 1: I experience that I'm whole.
Speaker 2: New rules, I'm you know, I'm in a committed relationship for a long time. So I listened to this. You know, it's not like just in one moment you're like, oh, I got it, figured it out. But I think there's a lot of confusion in these days of how do we hook up? Who does what, who proposes what, and all the rest.
Speaker 1: I want to touch on something that you just shared, because I think some men are told that they benefit from the patriarchy, but they're struggling financially or in industries where they lose out on jobs because they are a white man, and then they get blamed for systems like the Me Too era where all men I think were basically told they were bad. Right, and it's more nuanced than that, But the men I speak to often say like, I didn't create those systems, and I'm being held accountable for those systems. And at the same time, all of this change is necessary. How do you wrap your head around all of that?
Speaker 2: That is sort of what we're asking men these days to think about. Right, I need to be responsible for a world that treats women fairly and that women are safe, not harassed, not subject to assault of multiple kinds. Men need to be allies for that. And yet at the same time, how do we say it is not all men? But how do I say I'm responsible for what I do in reaction to other men? So how do we get men to feel like, be responsible for the part that you should be responsible for while affirming that most men are not harassing or assaulting you know, we talk about it as calling in and calling out. We do need to call it men when they cause harm, but I think we have to ask how did we do it and how do we do it? In terms of me Too, our approach has typically been he caused harm, get him out of the room. I don't want to see him again, as opposed to you know, say somebody in your family who causes harm, They're still part of your family. These are still our brothers and fathers and workmates. How do we have a conversation that says you cause harm, but you've got to stay in the room. You've got to acknowledge the harm that you carried out. But we can't just kick you out of the room and we're done. And I think part of how me Too has been absolutely necessary is calling attention. The part that I think we're missing is how do we say harm has been carried out. You need to acknowledge it, but you got to be here with us. Your restorative part means be in the room and accept the challenge that it is to look the person that you caused harm in the eye, to be able to talk through how do I get better and what can I do to make up from some of the harm that I caused that part of the conversation we don't have, and I think that to me and the me too moment is really crucial. I hear lots of young men who are worried about making the first move if they're interested in even that expression is at off. But you know, kind of what can I do? Yeah? Am I going to be seen as that creep? So I think it's good that men think twice three times and use words. How about they ask how do we help them? You know, say, I'm kind of interested in you to help men feel safe with the bumbling that might be necessary, so that we don't just assume things and we get better at asking questions listening to it. So I don't think we've taught our sons very well how to do that.
Speaker 1: Well. I'm interested in the second part of what you said, because while I do think the first part of the people that have done wrong, holding them accountable and having hard conversations is important. The majority of men have not done harm, but they are part of this system that we're now condemning the system. And I guess my big question, and I don't know that there's an answer, is how do we condemn the system without condemning the individual.
Speaker 2: And that's where I think it leans into. How do we help men see ourselves as beneficiaries of a world where women are safe to walk down the street, women are safe to be at the workplace, women are seen and heard and respected, that we as men benefit from that system working well, right, rather than only talking about men as perpetrators within the harm.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting, So talking about how the patriarchy harms men as it does.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not an instead of it's not an either or. We're not like counting the weight of patriarchy on our shoulders and saying, oh, it weighs more for me. Now, that is not a very useful argument. But to say women experience this, how is that for you?
Speaker 1: Men?
Speaker 2: How do you feel about it? That guy who is the harasser, and again it's not about making these simplistically the same. He's often also a guy who shuts up other guys, who also is bullying in some of his behavior. Often when it is not safe for women to walk down the street, there's probably other things going on that I want men to feel responsible for, but also to acknowledge that safer street, that safer workplace, a world where a woman could be president is also a place that most men want to live. It is just a better, more humane space.
Speaker 1: Are you in an ideal world calling for more camaraderie between men?
Speaker 2: Yes, and between men and women for making the world better for women, And I believe that one of the ripple effects is it'll be better for men too.
Speaker 1: Do you find that women have that camaraderie? Like, do we hold each other accountable for our wrongdoing?
Speaker 2: I can speak for my male body, so more what I've observed. Yeah, but you can tell me right, there's obviously lots of you know, kinds of verbal violence and aggression between women. Sisterhood is not this automatic thing that exists all over the place, but there is a political space that says women want to unite on having the world be safe and fair for us. We've not had an equivalent movement that said men should be carrying connected humans who support women being the best they can in the world, and we get to be better humans as males in the process. It's not easy to get in one phrase, but I think that's what we're after, right. I want men to see our stake in a world where women are safe, equal and get to be their full selves. I don't want men doing that only as a favor. I want them to do it because it's politically right, but also to say, because I want to live in a world where women are safe, because it's probably a better world for me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to say, I think the hard part about what you're asking is that being a human being is being self interested, and so how do you overcome that? But you're saying that it is in your best interest?
Speaker 2: Yeah, or maybe self interest becomes interdependent, which I think is a better word. Same more so that I am because you are. We are in these same spaces together, we're breathing the same air. So it is partly yes, you know, if I see myself as connected to others and I'm responsible for them your well being as my well being, I hope we get beyond just to enlightened self interest to a we're interdependent here. The household is going to thrive if let's say heterosexual household. She's got income, so I don't have to do it all. I'm doing my portion of the care work so she can be what she wants to be in the world. I mean, I think good relationships work in that idea of interdependence. And usually when relationships break down is when we start just counting my chips compared to your chips.
Speaker 1: And my friends who are heterosexual in their relationships once they have kids, it's the most common thread I see. The biggest fight is he's doing less or she's doing less.
Speaker 2: I mean, having conversations about that is so vital. How do we get to a I can't thrive if you're not thriving, rather than a guilt based you didn't do your additional fourteen minutes of you know, work over here, right, That's when I think we kind of break down a little bit.
Speaker 1: Why do you think these conversations are so politically and emotionally charged. I'm sort of smiling with you because we were together in a conversation ahead of this and it got really charged in a way I wasn't anticipating. My takeaway was there is so much resentment and anger and frustration for people around this issue. I can't figure out why.
Speaker 2: You know, it's our intimate relationships when we're figuring out what it means to be in love, and there's the happiness moment, and then there's the oh, we've created a household together. Maybe it's got children that go with it. Then there's the administration part that comes into it, right, like are we doing our share so that the other can be all they want to be in the world? Are we willing to make the compromises? I mean, we also walk into relationships with these big ideals in our head and then we go, oh, it's not quite as easy. I think we're obviously wrapped up in deep feelings about it because of what we expect from the other and what we think this relationship should be and what we think they owe us. It's a lot I think that we also expect of relationships in our American mostly nuclear households. It's like your partner is your best friend, you're amazing lover, your co parent, your co administrator. Like we weigh and lay so many things on one single person, gets really thick, and can you maintain sort of generosity and humor and acknowledging the flawed humanity of the other and your own flawed humanity. It's pretty amazing when you can make it work, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, honestly, all I was thinking is like, I can't believe my parents are still married. That's wild. So you wrote something I want to read back to you if that's okay. Young boys and men in this country are not okay, and we are all paying the price for it, whether through mass shootings, high rates of suicide, sexual assault and attacks against women, hate crimes, or even the insurrection on January sixth, twenty twenty. Some men are expressing their anger through violence and turning to despair and self harm. I want to zoom out and start with our modern ideas around manhood. Who taught us what it means to be a man in America?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Where did we come from? First of all, there was a heavy sentence now that I'm looking back on it, going, Man, what a week or month or year that was of Yeah, all that stuff is loaded there. Yeah. Where did we learn? I mean from a rugged individualism, you know that we can do it all by ourselves, a version of manhood that conquers our mythical empty country that as Europeans came in, settled it this. Yeh. You know, I am the work that I produce, right, so the individual entrepreneur who can make it all happen? You know, lay on years of patriarchy that say men are in charge of deciding when and how sex takes place, that men should be the sexually active ones and women the passive ones. You know, So where do we learn them? Church, home, media, our friends, our peer groups, in our first interactions with our male and female peer groups. So it's all those places. It's in the water, it's in the air, you know. We do research in lots of those places, looking how stories are told on television, looking at how parents talk about it. It's all those places we learn it. It seems to matter most kind of who we hang out with.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, and boys around.
Speaker 2: You and women too, who model you know, a version and say, look, you know, this kind of tough guy version that leads to all these sources of harm is really not okay, it's not the version we're after. So I think it matters most those closest to you, obviously, if you're not talking about it much at home. Now we have this whole new space called the manisphere and lots of influencers who are bringing a version of manhood in. But I still think it's kind of who cares about you the most that you're looking to for these ideas about manhood.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because in the manosphere, I'll listen to some of those conversations just to understand and hear.
Speaker 2: So sorry about that, that's weighty.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite definition of wisdom is to hold two opposing treths at one time. So I'm big On the other hand, like, if I think one thing, I want to know the exact opposite. And I think what I've garnered is that we are all angry. Women are angry and men are angry, and that's the charge. But I want to share something that's sort of like an armchair theory and it's something i've experienced. Just get your opinion on it. So the women that I'm friends with or even meet are so excellent, and I don't say that in a like hyperbolic way. If you looked at their resume, are really excellent at work, and then they're excellent human beings. They work on themselves, whatever modality that is for them. They are good sisters and wives and mothers. And it feels like when we were growing up, the bar was so high for women, and sometimes it feels like the bar was not as high for men. And so as I'm dating, I'm not meeting bad people, but it just feels like they're not at my level. I know that's a big to say, but it's not just my experience. There's a lot of women who feel that way. And one of the things I'm wondering about men. What I've seen from being in romantic relationships is that men rise to the occasion. They really want to be good to please, like it's important to them. And I don't think we're doing a good job societally to say that it feels like a negative conversation instead of a positive one. Give me your reaction and feel free to like yell at me and push back.
Speaker 2: I hear this from a lot of women as well, like, what is up with men? Why is it so hard to find one who feels my fill in the blank intellectual, professional, emotional equal? What have we done? I mean, that's a big generalization, but yet you're living it right And how you describe, you know, men you've met, you know, it probably is true historically that you could coast and be there's even a book about this called Mediocre, about you know, that men could be mediocre and kind of get a decent job. The world was sort of set up for us to go be breadwinners, even in jobs that we didn't have to really excel and be all that good at Women have had to for a generation be you know, as good as men and probably a bit better to get those same jobs. So I think you know that steam is behind your back. And I think a lot of men were still oh wait, we used to just have to convene against other men and we didn't all have to be great. We'd all get a job, we'd find a place. So there may be something true to that, Right, men did not have to work as hard as women have for a generation or so to like say, we deserve to be here too. Right, we say that every presidential election when a woman runs, that she's got to be as good as the male candidate and actually a bit better, more emotionally mature, and lots of other stuff. Right.
Speaker 1: I think that goes through any minority grew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, You've really had to excel because the bar was held. I mean, the pressures and everything was there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The other part that I will hear from men often is like the things that women want from me, Like I've got to be emotionally responsible in a moment, and I've got to be tough enough to fight off you know, the marauding hordes at the gate in the same breath, I've got to be able to do this and got to be able to do this. I've got to be able to be that amazing breadwinner and have endless time to care for children at home, Like, does she not see that I'm also doing all this work outside the home, so we have an economic stability at home. So I hear from men as well, this kind of that we're being held up to. Can we do all these things?
Speaker 1: Can I retort really quick too? I think the retort from women, at least to my instinct, is I agree with everything you said. Yeah, And I do not think it is easy to be a man. The and part feels like that is what it is like to be a woman, Like you have to be a boss at work and come home and be sexy and demure. It is living in the end. So it's like we're kind of like, why can't you do it too?
Speaker 2: Talking to some young men recently, they were like, you know, dating apps these days, and it's like you're just judged. You know. It used to be you were just compared to like the guy next to you in the classroom. Now you're compared to like all other men on the planet. It was like, welcome to what women may have faced for a couple of centuries. I absolutely agree with you. It's not a very will weigh in with men to help them through that angst? Yeah right, I will wait, you know, maybe half an hour into the conversation to go tell me more about how you feel that way, and then maybe I'll land one women feel about these apps that now you know newdify them and you know, fill in the blank. And I do think we both win if we figure out, like just how much of these gender roles to call them that are just kind of crap and they don't really help us get through the day and be the humans we want to be. That is part of the conversation we try to have with men, as you realize these kind of pressures that feel outrageous on you as men, how do you think women have felt about it, and how might we both step into getting beyond them or choosing the ones that we like. There's no reason we can't hang on to some of the stereotypes that we find fun and interesting, but let's get beyond the ones that seem to get in the way of us being the humans that we want.
Speaker 1: To be Do you think it's realistic in partnership to have those conversations out loud?
Speaker 2: You know, it depends on the day of the week, depends on whether after you're t hours of work and trying to figure out who is putting food on the table and who's doing this, like do we have g to be generous? And but I think humor goes a long way. Yeah, opening up like to be like, oh, I never knew you felt that way. And it also helps, I think talking to friends about it as well, so that we don't think our partner has to resolve all of it for us. I think that's something that men will do a lot is let me tell you what I'm feeling and you have to work it out for me. That's another complaint I hear about women, and I would say, probably myself, I've done that along the way of just I'll tell you how I feel, but then the lift of okay, thank you for sharing that, what are you going to do with that? And I'm kind of looking back at, you know, my partner or a previous partner going, I don't know, help me with that. I think that's where we have to help men quite a bit. Of like, good, you figured out how to express it. It's not her job in a heterosexual relationship for her to fix that for you or figure out what happens next, just because you figure how to express it. Sharing on that and I've heard it myself of thank you, but that's not my job.
Speaker 1: And you know, some of it feels unfair because yes, it's not your job. But when you're in partnership and you love somebody, you do things that are not your job, you know, And that's okay. I think it's just there's a point at which I think women start to combust and say I'm exhausted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've been doing the emotional labor part. I mean, we talk about the mental load, but the emotional part is a heavy part that you know, lots of heterosexual guys kind of thing. Yeah, it's on her.
Speaker 1: You actually just got to what I'm so curious about. Talk to me about the biological aspect of this. It's the part no one wants to talk about. I'm going to tell you a very quick story. When I was in high school, I was on vacation with my family. I have a younger brother, he's two years younger than me, and I'm not going to put him on blast, but he did something that I thought was so outrageous and egregious. I'd never been more upset. And he was sleeping, and I went to my parents, and I was such a tattle tale. I told them what happened, and my mom was horrified and my dad started laughing, and I felt so betrayed by my father for laughing. Yeah, And I told him that, and he said, I don't ever want you to feel that way, but what you don't understand is what it's like to have testosterone pumping through your veins, and you will never understand that. And at the time I was very angry, and now that I'm thirty five, I kind of understand what he meant with that context or framing. Are you comfortable talking about absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean part of what we talk a huge amount is about male sexuality and means sex drive, and you know, just there's no way not to talk about this stuff without also thinking and talking a lot about men's sexuality. So yeah, where do we go with that? We are obviously biological beings, and during adolescents, at different stages male and female intersex, we have sexual urges that are pulsing in a different way than they often do in other times of our life. What we do about it? You know, I think we have to not sort of put oh, that's just you know, raging hormones sort of suggests that we don't have agency to say, actually, I have this big frontal cortex that lets me think about where things go.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, we developed that later as men right to be able to weigh outcomes, but it is still there. So I think we do want to lean in with generosity. And I think to your dad's comment, I would add the corollary adolescent girls experience huge sex drives as well, we just don't laugh about them nearly as much. You know, look at the new Weathering Heights movie with a female masturbation scene that usually don't show up in very many films. Boys all the time, but you know, a female masturbation scene leads to huge giggling when it happens outside of a porn film. Right, So one is to acknowledge, yes, we have these and girls have that too. Who was allowed to talk about that? The other part is, let's not give all that credit to testosterone. Right, there's what's permitted. I don't know what happens. So I don't know whether your dad laugh was actually used to diffuse a situation or really inappropriate, but sometimes you know, both of those things happen. Like we can just say boys will be boys instead of saying, hey, maybe this is not okay, and here's why. Let's not make it into a big repression moment, but let's talk through the why. You know. I think we often give a lot of credens at testosterone. The other part about the male body is that we're also wired to have the same things that happen different level. We don't have uterses, we don't breastfeed, but the same hormonal changes happen when we're in close contact with babies. This happened to women's bodies. We're also wired to experience oxytocin. We bond physically with young children, regardless of whether it's our biological child. If we're in close contact with a child, the kangaroo touch, the skin on skin touch. These studies have been done with gay fathers who aren't biologically connected, of men of all ages. Thirteen year old boys smelling a baby's head also have a decrease in testosterone, so we're very reactive to a world that says, do we just throw you into, you know, vilent, aggressive spaces and let it all happen. Do we just bombard your brain with porn or do we also offer opportunities where you practice care because our male bodies also respond to that. So I think that's the part of like, let me talk about your body, guy, Yeah, this happens. But also you don't know that this part often happens too.
Speaker 1: So is there a place in the world where people are raising young men differently that you could point to and say they're doing a good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I want to point to a place. There's a lot of households that are doing a great job. There is a generation of parents who are really concerned about their sons and their daughters. I mean, you could point to the Scandinavian countries where they push for gender equality for a lot longer, They've had paternity leave for a lot longer. There's a normality of men doing hands on care of young babies that's been there twenty years before. It's been in other parts of the world. So there's some stuff they do well. But I don't want to hold up any countries like you've figured it out. Western Europe has figured out like sexuality education with a lot less craziness and repression. They do that quite well. But I also hear from parents there of like we're really confused of what to do with our sons. I think it's more, you know, parents who are attuned listening, modeling will deal with those uncomfortable moments like with your brother, make a conversation about it, not just you know, brush it aside. Dads who are willing to get emotionally open with their sons and their daughters. I guess I don't want to make it like there's some we don't have that magic sauce. It definitely helps if others around you were talking about this in open, honest ways. It helps if you don't have politicians that are belittling feminism and women's full empowerment, and that are belittling any form of manhood that isn't about blowing shit up.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, to your point, do you see any really positive examples of modern masculinity in pop culture? Oh Man or anything? The Pit?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do you watch The Pit? No?
Speaker 1: But I love the whole cast Thanks.
Speaker 2: To my daughter who said, Dad, you have to watch this it's a really great masculinity show. It really is well done. Cool of carrying men in caring professions and then the lead er doctor they call them doctor Robbie on the show, really thoughtful. So yes, there's a lot of the negative ones that make a lot of noise, but that's one that I'm kind of binging at the moment.
Speaker 1: Thank you for sharing that. Yeah, I don't want to get you in trouble because this is side a hot water question, but I am really curious what responsibility, if any, do women have in helping to reshape masculinity.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you're part of it. I don't want to say that women have responsibility for it. You've been picking up, you know, our mess as men for centuries. But it definitely is going to go a lot better if we figure it out together. The load has been on women for lots and lots of stuff, but you know, we're not very good when we go off ourselves and say we're going to figure this out.
Speaker 1: I mean, what does together mean? Though?
Speaker 2: You know it's a tough conversation at the dinner table over Hey, I do need you to think about doing this or you know, your silence about this was a problem. Can you hear me on this? Yeah, and let's get through the discomfort. There's a part of our intimate life that's not quite going well for me, and I want to be able to tell you without you like going off. But I believe we can work it out. I mean, you could sell to your partner. Hey, I need you to go, you know, get some better education about your intimacy to help me be happy. But I think it's going to be a little better if we kind of figured it out together.
Speaker 1: Without becoming like the therapist in a man's life. Do you think that having hard conversations bringing up topics is really helpful?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, but again I think, man, we need to take some responsibility. Yes, we need you to bring it up to us, but we also need to raise sons to be self aware of Oh I should think of this ahead of time. Yeah, I should be thinking about this as well. I should be attuned to who does this? Does my voice reprit us hers thinking about, you know, what brings her sexual pleasure? There will be moments women will bring this up, and we need you to bring this stuff up. But I want men to be aware and thinking about those issues.
Speaker 1: On their own right to be a good conversation partner in this.
Speaker 2: And have thought about it before you came to that conversation.
Speaker 1: So I've thought about this topic so much because people will say, well, I like chivalry, and I kind of think of chivalry as human decency, so I don't even gender it anymore, Like to bring flowers to somebody's house is just a kind thing to do, whether you're a man or a woman. Where I think we are still confused is like who pays on the first date? How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: About that? I hope that guys could get over that their self worth is based on whether they can pay for that, you know. I think there's an awkward and maybe fun discomfort of like both you know, might offer at the same time and like, no, how about I get this one and you get the next one. I really hope guys could get over a moment that they feel like I've got to pay, and that you would feel less than a man if she paid and you couldn't say, hey, I'm paying. It's not like you owe me anything for this. How can guys say it in a way that it's not a power struggle, It's not with any expectation and then to be generous enough if that's the right word, just like common sense enough to go and if she wants to pay, that's okay too, like okay, I'll accept and next time, if there's a next time, can I pay? How would you react if a guy did that in that first payment, says I'm fine for you to pay this, I'll pay next time. How about that?
Speaker 1: I've actually thought about this. I did something kind of interesting. I did a chivalry. I forgot what I called it. I did sort of like a cleanse at one point. I don't want to bore you, but I was in a relationship when I was like twenty five to twenty seven or eight, and he was Persian, and a lot of times in Persian culture, the roles are very traditional and defined, and it was my first big relationship, and so the roles were very traditional. And I grew up in a matriarchal house yep, for the most part. And he grew up, even though he had a single mom, in a very patriarchal house, and he paid for almost everything, including rent and dinners, Like I think I forgot where my wallet was for two years, and when we broke up, I said I'm never freaking doing that again, and I don't want to bore you with all the reasons why. But after that I started going on dates, and no matter how I felt about the man, whether I liked him or didn't like him, I said I would like to pay, whether I knew I was going to see him again or not. And the way people reacted was really interesting. Some people were like, I can't let you do that. Some people said, oh, thank you so much, and then some people kind of reacted in the middle and they were like, well, I don't want to make you feel like you don't have to pay. I would like to pay, but I don't want to take away your power. And it was a good exercise for me. But now that I'm kind of over the hump of that, and I feel like I'm ready to be a full partner to somebody. And I think everyone has to make a personal decision, but I've garnered personally is I am a giver by nature and I really need somebody who protects my giving. And so I think on the first or second date, I would like the man to say I got this, and then if we move forward, I'm wanting to be a full partner. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: It's not really the important stuff in terms of whether you get along with somebody, except as a test. I mean, we're none of us are going broke in our first date usually, right. I mean, for some of you, a minute, it's a lot for him to put, you know, sixty dollars down on the table if you're in a different moment of like you're not full time working or whatever. But for most of us, it's not really the contest totally.
Speaker 1: So I guess I'll still go on a free date.
Speaker 2: You can go on a bike, yes, or you could both. Yeah, we're doing a fifty to fifty or something, because I think we get along in relationships when there's a bit of fluidity, like sometimes I'll pay, sometimes you'll pay. Sometimes, you know, I'll date myself with a Bruce Springsteing song of like the one that's like if I fall behind, wait for me, if you fall behind and I'll wait for you. I mean, I think that's sort of the give and take of a relationship that's going to work. So I guess if you're doing a test for me, that one should be like, I mean, life just requires that we're flexible. And if you're trying to make a contest out of it, maybe that's the red flag, not the actual paying for it yourself, because.
Speaker 1: That's so nice scary. So maybe I'm trying to deduce something that actually doesn't need to be deduced.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I think I want to know if a potential partner is like flexible or not keeping score. There are moments we need to call it, like if I'm doing all this lifting or you're doing all the lifting, but if it's starting off with like a scorekeeping, maybe that's not the way that we want to.
Speaker 1: I have to hyphi. Okay, thanks for telling me about myself.
Speaker 2: I like that we're all figuring it out along the way.
Speaker 1: But that's yeah, no, I really appreciate that. I think you're right, Like who cares? Yeah, okay. So the economists reported in June that there are signs of a bias in favor of girls that is emerging worldwide. What does that mean for how are being socialized early on?
Speaker 2: We're getting better, but they're still doing, you know, more of the hands on care work. So if moms think about you know, raising a son, raising a daughter, feeling like okay, more of the care work, it's probably gonna fall in me. I hear lots of moms talk about I'm not sure I know how to raise a carrying boy in today's society. I hear a lot of that worry. I think fathers, we need to step up and be sort of in the room as well and go, hey, we're part of this too. We know what it's like to raise a strong, caring boy. We can do that. You know, if you look at adoption, that's been the issue forever, like folks want to adopt baby girls, they don't really want to adopt boys. And it does worry me, like, how can we look at, you know, baby boys and feel like I'm not looking at a potential violent human. I'm looking at this loving, caring person who can be that if I make the space for him to do that. So, yeah, it does worry me that we think boys are kind of wired to be bad.
Speaker 1: It worries me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think when women have good men in their lives, whether it's a parent, a sibling, a romantic partner, you can put a face to it. It's harder. I think if you don't have an example of that.
Speaker 2: Doesn't mean it's got to be a dad, It can be a brother, can be a cousin, a a teacher. But I do think, yeah, we need to in some ways be able to see what does that look like? What is caring manhood? Respectful but also strong, strong in an emotional way, not just in a physical way. What does that look like? I think we need to see it and then also acknowledge that, you know, there's lots of kick ass moms who are raising sons who are thoughtful and caring. It is a problem that there's not enough male caregiving happening there. There's lots of others who are doing a fabulous job at that.
Speaker 1: Your father, Bob, sounds like he was a pretty great role mo for you. Is there something that you've picked up about how to be a man that he didn't teach you, Like something that you've picked up from pop culture, from friendship.
Speaker 2: He wasn't a man of a lot of emotional words. He was sort of quiet, strength, like it never doubted, like his moral compass and sort of knowing what to do in a moment. But talking through conflict. I mean, I'll give a lot of credit to my female partner of thirty two years three of just how to stay in an argument and still say, Okay, we're in this together. Still. Yeah, I think I would give her credit for that. It's not easy. Knowing how to argue well caringly, I think is really important for couples.
Speaker 1: It could be the thing, Yes, if you could put all your research aside for a second and just think about you and your own personal experience. What has been the loneliest part about being a man for you?
Speaker 2: I have been with a lot of thoughtful men along the way. I had a couple of health issues about ten years back. But also it wasn't lonely. I mean, it was just because we are biological bodies. And if you think this illness could lead to, you know, your early death, there's a moment like that that there's no way of not being like existential of this feels lonely, and some folks can talk about it and some can't. So I survived to cancer, I was fine and am fine. But yeah, being able to talk about that and find whether people could look you in the eye and talk about it.
Speaker 1: And hold it, yeah, that is a lonely experience.
Speaker 2: And recognizing that lots of people go through worse and so yeah, I don't know if it's as a man or just as a human of like we are biologically frail and grappling with that.
Speaker 1: Is there anything we haven't touched on that you think is important.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I didn't talk about my daughter. I could talk about her for a long time. Yeah, you know, if I think of other moments that kind of along my journey of you know, thinking about carrying fatherhood and being a man, was I was a part time state home dad when my daughter was born. I was doing a PhD in Chicago. My partner had the full time job that was at a clinic. She had to be there every day. It's like really a frightening but fun journey of being out of control, Like I can't control all the elements in the room here, and she's going to go and have needs that I can't really predict. And so my day and maybe the week and even a year was not anything what you plan to just like go with it. And now she's twenty eight, and so I think thinking about what moms talk about a lot of just this amazing relationship of you're still that tiny human to me who needs everything from me to survive in the world. To now this amazing smart out in the world, teaching me stuff, thought, provoking me, you know, pushing my politics or whatever, like, oh yeah, this is really cool. You've been a great teacher.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. She's been your teacher your.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, there's not a really good course on fatherhood. So if you learned it from your own parents, from other men around you, from your female partner who you're doing this together with, if you're in a heterosexual relationship, but there's a huge amount that just you learn it by doing, and you know your child has a huge role in Like you're off, dad, you don't know what the hell you're doing. If you're willing to be that sort of modest and humble about it, it's an amazing learning experience.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna do some rapid fire with you. What gives you hope about gen Z boys?
Speaker 2: You know they love their friends.
Speaker 1: In one sentence, what is modern masculinity at its best?
Speaker 2: Open, caring, connected, willing to admit that we're wrong, deeply loving.
Speaker 1: The most powerful thing a father can.
Speaker 2: Model humility saying I was wrong.
Speaker 1: What's the most powerful thing a mother can model to her son?
Speaker 2: Not having been a mother and I think about my own mother, just like the nurture, just like to feel my mom's power in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a policy change that would make a real difference in this Oh.
Speaker 2: Where do we start. Universally accessible parnal leave fully paid would go a long way. And workplaces that have to offer it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A small daily habit that strengthens men's mental health.
Speaker 2: You know, when you're talking to your buddy and ask him how he is. Mean it and stay in the room. I mean, how's it really going? Tell me how it's really going.
Speaker 1: A book that changed your life, something you think everybody should read.
Speaker 2: I'll just give a shout out to one recent Sarah Hardy's book called Father Time, about how men are biologically wired to care. I think should be a handbook for men like you should know your body. This is the species that you're part of, evolved so that men are wired to care. Shout out to Sarah.
Speaker 1: The smartest decision you've ever made.
Speaker 2: Finding my current partner she found me, or staying in Brazil so that I could fall in love with her.
Speaker 1: One thing that every man should try once.
Speaker 2: Staying up all night to exhaustion with a child.
Speaker 1: Doctor Gary Barker, Thank you Gary, I know you don't like the doctor. Thank you. I really appreciate this. I know it's not an easy conversation to have.
Speaker 2: It's for having me. Thanks for asking those questions.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you. Okay, you know what time it is. Day is a good day, to have a good day. I'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Hm.