Speaker 1: I miss the green.
Speaker 2: For example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 1: And when I find my ball in a brid egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg Friday Frida Egg Bride Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run.
Speaker 3: Off of the course.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Egg Podcast. Today I'm joined by Mike Cocking, a golf course architect based in Australia and part of the Ogilvie, Clayton, Cocking and Mead Design firm. Mike, Welcome on.
Speaker 1: Thanks Andy, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excited to talk golf course architecture, some sand belt Australia and little learn a little bit more about your firm and what you guys are doing down under.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yep, look forward to it.
Speaker 2: So I'd love to hear. I think, knowing you a little bit, I think you've got a really interesting background. How you got into golf course architecture. Why don't you tell us how you got into golf and architecture.
Speaker 1: Sure, well, I guess I got into golf. My first sort of experience with golf was my parents decided to take the game up when I was about I don't know, seven or eight, and they dragged my sister and I out to the golf course and you know, I wander around with.
Speaker 3: Him and we hated it.
Speaker 1: It was it was not interesting at all. I probably maybe I would have been hooked if I had been allowed to swing a club or try and have a hit, but they were just new to the game and probably nervous that I'd hit a shank and smash a car or something. So that was sort of my first taste of it. And then years later, well, I used to My parents were teachers, and they started They would start school at bit earlier than I would, so that they would drop me at my grandparents' house and I'd just watched TV for an hour before they would take me to school. And one morning the golf was on and it was I reckon. It was the eighty eight US Open, so it was Curtis Strange and Faldo, and I was kind of I found it quite captivating, really because it was a tight finish. I thought Valdo was cool because he looked like Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones was speaking at the time, so I kind of I was rooting for him, and I went to school and Lullberhold. They tired and so it was a playoff. So the next day I got to see it again and that probably was what really grabbed me. And then I kind of found my parents' clubs in the cupboard at home and started kind of chipping around the backyard, and so my dad decided to take me to a driving range, and it kind of went from there really and he was keen to take up the game with me, so we sort of started together, and I was probably eleven, then eleven or twelve, and I went from the driving range to a local kind of communi or public golf course, and then I sort of joined a proper golf course if you like, when I was perhaps fourteen thirteen fourteen. Then I joined Peninsula where we're working now, when I was seventeen. I was there for about twenty years, and then six six years ago I joined Kingston Heath because I lived literally next door to Kingston Age, which is kind of nice.
Speaker 2: That's yeah.
Speaker 1: So that was sort of my introduction to golf. To golf course design was a little bit a little bit later. I mean, I think, like most kids are kind of Drew Gold once I was kind of once I was into golf, I was really into golf. You know, I would read all the magazines and you know, see photos of Cyprus Point and Augusta, and you know, that was just like Disneyland to me. And I guess the thought of ever seeing those was certainly, you know, really held my attention. And then I I was my boss at the time, I was working in a golf shop when I was about fifteen or sixteen, and my boss got a copy of one of the limited edition copies of Tom Doak's Confidential Guide, and I borrowed that and sort of reading through that started to understand that there was this whole other element to golf courses that I'd never really thought about. You know, I guess, like most kids, just sort of the condition of the course is probably what how you measure whether it's good or bad. And suddenly he was talking about routings and talking about all these things that I didn't really know what they were. And then as my golf improved, I was in what's known as the Victorian Institute of Sport, which was it was kind of Australia's answer to the college program in America. So it was started in the nineties. Robert Allen, b Stuart appleby Jeff Ogilvie, Aaron Badley, they all came through that program, and through that I got to travel. I was a good amateur, so I played seat of internationally a fair bit, and I used Tom's book really to find all the courses near where I was playing that are worth seeing, so that it kind of extended from there. And then I was never really comfortable with the idea of playing professionally. I did briefly, but I don't know. Maybe having options isn't a good thing if you're trying to be a professional golfer. But I'd finished a degree in engineering and I didn't want to be a struggling pro by any stretch. And I was always I was interested in golf course design obviously, but figured it would be really hard to get into. But then Mike Clayton then a couple of other guys who had started a company together, got the job at Peninsula to do some work, which was where I was playing. And I knew Mike through golf and sort of approached them whether they needed sort of some help or part time work, or whether you know, whether I could how I could kind of get involved in golf course design, and that was in two thousand and Ashley met actually joined that firm at the same time to help out with construction. So Mike, Ashley and I have worked together for eighteen years and it kind of went from there really and then over time I got more interested in golf course design, less interested in playing, and it just of, you know, I played less golf and worked more in design. So it kind of was a pretty that's how it progressed.
Speaker 2: I guess have you found that since you stopped caring as much about golf that your your golf has gotten better the more you think about design.
Speaker 1: When you play, I enjoy it more, certainly I having a bad round and not worrying about not having to stress over all these parts you've missed or this shot you've missed and having to go to the range work on it. You know, I do like I enjoy my golf again where you just you know, you just have around and once you part out in eighteen that's the end of it. I always find it hard to look at kind of look at the architecture and play it at the same time, because you get you do get involved with your game, and I find I see a lot more just walking a golf course rather than playing it. So I'm never that fast. If I go overseas somewhere and see a golf course that I've always wanted to see, I'm not that far if I don't play it. You know, in an ideal world you perhaps walk it in the morning and then play it in the afternoon, But really do you have that amount of time free? So, yeah, I see a lot more kind of walking the golf course.
Speaker 2: I find, Yeah, I would agree. You can just it removes one like personal element from it and like you're not looking for balls, and especially if you're walking it alone, you can just walk and observe it. You know, you're not talking to somebody. But it's rare that you get to do both.
Speaker 1: That's right. And you probably don't concentrate on the you don't notice the peripheral things, you know, because you do kind of just focus on the playing area.
Speaker 3: Isn't down the middle and wherever you hit your ball too?
Speaker 2: What would you say is one thing that like the average golfer beginning to get into architecture do to understand more about architecture while they're playing.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. It. I guess, like on the sand belt here, the strategies are fairly straightforward and quite it's almost strategic design one O one. You know, the greens are very clearly angled one way or the other. So if you work, if you study the green complex and work your way back the strategy, the whole makes sense. And I think once they understand, like we talk about it a lot when we have like a committee meeting or something, it's amazing how few people understand the very basics of strategy, you know, and once and it's not really a complicated topic. But I think once they understand that, okay, well, you know, the greens designed to favor play from a particular part of the fair way, and usually around that spot there's a hazard, you know, so if you play close to the hazard, you get a better angle. If you play further away from it, it's a worse angle. And it's you know, there's shades of gray, it's not black or white. You can aim a meter a little bit to the ride or forty meters to the right, and the shot just incrementally gets harder. And I think once they you can see the light bulb go off when you do explain that, and then suddenly they start thinking about all the holes on the golf course and how they're range. So I think it's in terms of playing it. I think they need to understand that basic logic and then they can kind of apply it to their own game and their own golf course. I tell you one thing that I find. I've got a set of hickory clubs, which I've got a couple of sets, but it's a lot of fun using hickories and on an interesting on a strategic golf course because you really understand the strategy of the holes. They make more sense because you can't hit you know, with the hickories. Everything comes out a bit lower and it runs. You can't hit that high spinning nine nine that stops on the green if you're out of position. So the strategy of the golf course really shines through with hickorys. If that makes sense, you have to be It's such a reward for being in the right position and such a penalty for being out of position with hickorys, just because you can't hit that recovery shot. So I think people would understand strategy very quickly, perhaps if they had around with hickrees.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's what people need to start learning golf on hecrees.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe I don't think that happened a nineteen year old to put away M two and pick up a wooden shafted club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might actually slow down the growth of the game.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: So in terms of you guys, have you got to have one of the best player firms in the country between but working with Mike Clayton, Jeff Ogilvie and Ashley Mead, how do you guys work and split up work?
Speaker 1: Yes, so where there's a couple of other staff members as well that have worked with us for a long time. So we we like that kind of turnkey approach, I guess, or I guess I've always liked the idea that we can do everything from the first kind of little concept sketch basically right through. So like a lot of the modern firms like Bill and Ben and Tom and have you, we build. We build our own work. We don't really like to give it to a contractor. So I guess in the early phases of a new project or a design, we all kind of get involved with that and sort of chat through some of the big picture ideas. Jeff's still playing of course in America, so he's probably not as involved as you know as long term he hopes to be. And then you know, I guess as it moves into more of a construction probably actually and I have more of a lead role in terms of being on site and working with the guys out in the field. And you know that can limit how many projects you take on. Usually two sort of big projects in construction is about as much as we want to do because invariably you've got You've also then got jobs that you're pitching on, or there might be two or throw out the jobs that are in design, and you know it's obviously more than just those two that are in construction. So yeah, that's typically how it works in terms.
Speaker 2: Of got the collaborative approach, and obviously with Jeff and make you've got a couple of big names from in Australia and obviously Jeff across the world. What are the benefits of working in that and versus say being out on your own.
Speaker 1: I think I think collaborative approaches that I do find it minimizes your missus. You know, sometimes if you're on your own, you go down a certain path and perhaps you're you're pushing hard to build a green or build a hole on the edge. It's helpful to have someone with fresh eyes come out and say, oh, you know, I think there might be a bit of a stretch. It's a little bit too hard or a bit too slopy, or you know, because you do get you get so engrossed in that project that sometimes you forget to step back and look a look at the big picture. So that's where it's very helpful having any of the guys come in and really with fresh eyes have a look at it. I mean, Jeff and Mike certainly from a playing point of view, is really helpful as well. I know there's been a I mean, you don't build too many tournament golf courses. There's on many tournaments in Australia, but we do consult to a lot of courses that host tournaments, and it is sometimes interesting you sort of forget how good those guys are, how far they hit it, what they see as being a reasonable shot to take on under certain conditions. So it sometimes just kind of puts a different perspective on a whole So that's always interesting versus on your own I mean, perhaps maybe the negative of a collaborative approach is that you may not get those way out ideas because they might always be tempered by in a collaboration. But I think if you come up with an idea and put a case forward to why it's a good idea, typically we'll go ahead and build it and then you just see how it evolves. You can always I mean by building your own work. It's the advantage. You can build something. If it doesn't look great, you can just change it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I think. Sometimes I would benefit from somebody reading over some stuff that I write, because sometimes I might go a little far, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. It's like it's like the email. You know, you never I never send an email at night, you know, because you yeah, you can get Yeah, it's amazing in the morning when you wake up and have a read of that same email, you're like, oh, yeah, I'm not sure I can say that.
Speaker 2: I send all my emails out late at night, so that one of my problems.
Speaker 1: Wait for the morning.
Speaker 2: So you're finishing up a project Landhai International in China, I'm curious how golf design and the golf culture is different there compared to Australia or the States.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's someone once described it to me is that, you know, golfing in China and perhaps some other not just China, but in the countries where golf is new, that it's sort of an unsophisticated market. And that's not a criticism. It's just that because golf is so new, I don't necessarily know what's good and bad. You know what's good design, what's bad design. You know, in America you've had one hundred years for it to evolve and to educate people, and likewise well longer in the UK, about one hundred years in Australia. So it is tricky trying to you know, so things like I guess most clients in China would expect a past seventy two, for instance, because that's kind of what they understand as being the norm, and you know, four past threes and four par fives and sort of all those things just when you're getting just when you're new to golf design, that the thing is that you kind of understand as being the norm, that that's sort of I guess where a lot of the golf is at. So that can be a challenge for sure, I know when Bill and Ben were building Shanquin Bay, supposedly that it was so different. I think people were wondering just how the Chinese would react to it, because it was a course that you would expect to see, you know, in America, but perhaps not in a country where most of the golf courses were your typical resort style golf, you know, lots of water, sort of resort style bunkers.
Speaker 3: And yeah, they were wondering.
Speaker 1: How they would react to it. But I believe the client there was very worldly. It traveled extensively around the world, so he kind of was confident that that was the right approach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in China they unlike it. Like the UK, they started with Saint Andrews. America we had like Chicago Golf and Newport Country Club. Australia you had Alistair mackenzie pay an early visit and kind of sat Melbourne on the path. But in China they got like Jack Nicholas and Arnold Palmer designing courses and like the era of signature design gave birth the golf there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, that's right, and now it's an interesting because of the moratorium on new golf courses that there's I believe there's four hundred and ninety six legal golf courses now in China, you know, because they've closed so many that were built illegally and that hasn't really been opened up yet. So depending on how long that that goes. Because the course we're working on there wasn't existing golf course and we're just it's a redesign. So it may be that the next wave in China is more redesign. It could be that where a lot of those golf courses they're legal, but perhaps they're not as good as they could be, or they were part of, like you said, that sort of wave of signature designs that it might spread it now the idea of redesign work might kind of start spreading into China.
Speaker 2: So high profile club that you guys consult at as Kingston Heath, which is one of the best golf courses in the world regularly kind of comparison as the Australian Marion, and then you also consult at Shady Oaks, a high profile course in Dallas. What are the similarities and differences between clubs in Australia and the America.
Speaker 1: So I guess Shady Oak. So it's a it's a really pretty parkland style golf course. Robert Trent Jones Senior built it for Marvin Leonard in the fifties on the back of Colonial, So they built Colonial and they wanted a smaller private member's course, went to Shady Oaks, and of course Ben Hogan came across as part of that as well, so that became his home. One of the things that I always find fascinating and hopefully to answers your question in a roundabout way, whenever we've looked at courses in America, it's not all courses, but a lot of the classic American parkland style course. We're always intrigued by the the way they're set up with typically you know, lots of rough around the greens, quite often rough between the fairway bunkers and the fairways, which we find curious because in Australia that the norm is to cut fairways right to the edge of hazards and we typically have a lot of short grass around greens and so it's more of a I think it's more of a British maintenance style in Australia, so we're really wedged firmly between, you know, a little bit from Britain and a little bit from America. I think with our golf they certainly play firm and fast like they do in Britain, but there's other elements that are kind of similar to America. And what I guess is always interesting and part of the pitch to Shady Oaks or one of the things we sort of talked about was that it's kind of interesting that Augusta, you know, has been, has been. If you ask most tool players what their favorite course is of the year, most of them would probably say Augusta. Most golfers in America, if you ask it, you know, their dream around or where would they love to go, they probably say Augusta and Augusta it's essentially maintained like a Samdbell golf course. You know, it's short, heaps of short grass, heaps of short grass around the green, short grass to the edge of the bunkers. It's it's kind of like Royal Melbourne. Really, it's very similar. And yet golf courses went in a totally different direction. They went in another direction, and yet every year everyone goes back to Augusta and loves it, and for whatever reason, it kind of down this other part. So you know one of the things that not that we're trying to turn Shady Oaks into a SAMD Belt golf course, but certainly we talked a lot about that, trying to create more short grass and perhaps a line a little closer to the way we like golf to be played. And they've really embraced that. I mean in the first brand and I flagged some new fairly lines there and I think they added ten acres in a month of short grass, and the members have really liked it. So that is always a curiosity to me though, that just the position that Augusta holds in American golf, and yet people struggle to join the dots. You know, they look at their golf course and see the rough and you talk about short grass and they look at you perhaps like you're mad or what are you talking about? And yet you know, come April every year it's there for everyone to see. So yeah, that is a curiosity.
Speaker 2: Most people seem to focus on, like the flowers and the green nature of Augustine. Take the two worse things to their golf course and make it soft and slow and plant some flowers, but curious with extending fairway lanes. It seems that one of the common you know, pushbacks from a club would be you're making this golf course easier. What is your response to that?
Speaker 1: Well, and that's true. I mean you need to look at the whole package. And because if the green complexes and the bunkering isn't great, then yeah, widening of course will make it easier. So they kind of fit together. I mean ideally there's lots of space for people to hit to, but in actual fact that the desired area of the fairway is quite small, you know. And I think part of that which is often forgotten about is the is the maintenance. I mean when people talk about tool courses and the like, I mean, one of the reasons that many of the sand Belt courses are still so relevant from a tournament perspective is how firm and fast the greens are, you know, because you can't I mean, Kingston Head's not particularly long in sort of US tour standards. It's probably seven thousand one hundred yards, maybe seven thousand two hundred yards, but you know, it's not just a driver of every tee because the greens are so well designed and firm that if you are out of position, you can't easily hit. Sometimes you can't even hit the green if you're in the wrong spot, So suddenly you're prepared to sacrifice some distance to hit a three iron or hit a two iron into the right position of the fairway. So but if the greens were if the greens were really soft, then suddenly it wouldn't be quite as strategic, because you could you could play to the greens from anywhere. And if and if you waded it down even further and just built some fairly flat greens and bought the bunkers further away from the putting surface, then it would be even less strategic. Again, so it's not just that you can't just look at the widening of the fairways. It has to be looked at with the position of the bunkers and the green design too sore. At Shady there were some spots where you could easily add short grass, particularly around the greens, because there was a lot of greens that were perched up and there were some nice sort of hollows and slopes away from them where you could add short grass and not make it easier in some ways. You know, short grass around the greens. If there's a slope, adding short grass actually makes it harder because a missshot just the ball just finishes further away from the putting surface instead of getting caught up in that little bit rough, you know, between the green and the bunker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree with that. I think when the ball rolls it's very scary for good players especially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it puts it puts doubt in a good player's mind because you don't know what to hit. You know, if it's done well, suddenly you've got five clubs in your head thinking, well, do you know do I hit the kind of that three would bump and run that you know, the Tiger kind of did a fair bit of Or do you try and hit a lobodge or do you bounce it into the slope with like are a wedge? Or do you a part of it? But the great thing is for a hacker, for a bad player, they can just pull apart up and they can at least kind of knock it up there and knock it on the green. They probably won't get up and down, but it's a it's a really that's where it's a clever hazard because it's hard for the good player and or confusing for the good player and kind of easy for the average player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in agreement there. A big, high profile project you're working is Peninsula, which is, of course you grew up playing in Melbourne. Yea, you know, is there some pressure with all the great courses around Melbourne designing a new course with all the historic courses.
Speaker 1: There is? I mean it was. It's a great bit of land, the equal almost the equal to real Melbourne really, but it was a course that it never quite had reached its potential. So they've been redesigned work done there previously, and we've done quite a lot of that, but it was usually it was done on a shoe string and it was never a.
Speaker 3: Comprehensive sort of redevelopment.
Speaker 1: And I guess that they merged with a golf club called Kingswood, so now it's sort of Peninsula. Kingswood is the new club and that allowed them financially the opportunity to look at a much bigger redevelopment, which is what sort of web two thirds of the way through. And the challenge for them absolutely is so when people come to Melbourne and want a taste of samd Belt golf, they typically go to Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heave if they have time, they might go to Metropolitan Victoria and usually that's it. Then they go they might go down to Tasmayania to play Bamboo Junes or king Owen and then they're gone. And as a result of that or this has actually influenced that that mindset that there is a big gap between those four elite sand Belt clubs and kind of everyone else on the sand Belt. So their challenge and our challenge is to kind of turn four into five. You know, when people come to Melbourne, they want to go to Poeninsula Kingswood, so that, yeah, there is a lot of pressure attached to that. I mean, we've assembled a really good team down there, and so far the results are showing that, you know, it's looking really promising. But it's a hard nut to crack that elite sam Belt club, if you like, because they've had you know, they had one hundred years and copious tournaments that have kind of created their reputation. So it's hard to We're trying to do fifty years work in three, you know, and that's so it's even if we get the product there, it's still going to take a little time for I think for that to influence rankings and how people view the golf course both here and overseas. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you look at the American top ten golf courses, there's only one modern golf course in there, sand Hills, and you know at this point it's it's now twenty five years old almost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: So it's it's tricky because the history and the tradition always get lumped into judging the golf course. Are you guys pulling a lot of influence from those area courses and or are you trying to build something new and unique.
Speaker 1: No, we're one thing. It's a bit of a cross between or a bit of a hybrid of some of the other Sandbelt courses. There's two courses there, so there's a north course in a south course, and we built many years ago a creek on the south course through sort of some a low section of the course. And looking at old photos of the site, there were actually quite a lot of creeks that ran through the property, so there was quite a few wet areas, and so we had an idea to maybe make a better looking creek. We used some we used the local stonemason to kind of create the impression that was like an old ruin, I guess, so sort of it was interesting because he was clients typically judged how well he did a job by how perfect the rock work was the draysten wall, and we were like, no, no, no, we don't want it perfectly, want it rugged and old and sort of, you know, almost falling apart. So he really enjoyed it because it was totally different from what he was used and so we did that on one hole and it worked out so well. We ended up creating that crete network through a number of holes. So in a way that became a bit of a signature of the of the South course, whereas the North is a bit more elevated, it's a bit more undulating, sandier, and so it's probably more and the vegetation is better, a lot more heath than kind of almost a monas stand of the Manicum, which is the kind of the the tree which most would identify with a lot of the sand belt courses. So it's probably more of a typical sand belt experience. And whilst the South is a sand belt course, it's just that the creek kind of creates a little bit of a point of difference between the North in terms of the greens and the bunkers though they probably they probably weren't. One of the big drivers of the project was conditioning. They've never really had firm fast greens, which are kind of you know, synonymous, I guess with SAMD belt golf, so a lot of work. We basically created a new sort of a different style of construction with the green. So a lot of there's been a lot of USGA greens on the sand belt built over the last thirty years, but people have struggled, They really struggled to get in the firm So we went with a different construction technique, a different grass, and one of the things we've noticed on the old greens was that the bunkers weren't They were very much out of scale with the greens. If you look at sand belt holes from the air, the bunkering around the green is bigger than the green. So really that's what helps create the scale of the green sites on the sand belt. People look at Royal Melbourne's greens and think they're enormous, and they are big, but they're not that big. The reason they feel big is because it's so expansive around the green. The bunkering is really expansive and a lot of short grass. So they're these big, they feel like, these huge, elegant green sites. So we very much borrowed from that concept with the green sites of Peninsula. We cleared out a lot of space around them, and the bunkering now is much bigger, much more, more of the sort of capes and bays that people you know, people talk about Mackenzie bunkering, but it's probably a different topic. But yeah, so more of that kind of classic bunkering style that you would see at rom Melbourne and Kingston. A more short grass. Yeah, and we've cleared out a fair bit of vegetation to try and return it to what we hope is what the property would have looked like, you know, one hundred years ago before there was a golf course there.
Speaker 2: That's that's cool, natural, much more natural.
Speaker 1: And yeah, then you.
Speaker 2: Got the other side that's got the rustic creek.
Speaker 1: So absolutely, and it's sort of I mean, they've given us, they've afforded us a lot of license, which has been I mean, they've been just a fantastic club to work with and so much you just wouldn't get that license at many of the the sand Belt clubs you wouldn't be afforded that amount of license. But as a result, what will happen is that, you know, the North is the Sandburg golf course that so many of the other Sandburg clubs want to be, you know, so they really do have the potential to leap frog a whole bunch of clubs, and you put themselves as a thirty six hole venue. You know, they should be. It should be the place to join in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you get variety between the two courses. So it's so with you be down in Australia. I'm curious. I asked this question every once in a while. Who's on your Mount Rushmore? So for architects, that's a Mount Rushmore. I don't know if you know is a famous.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know, I don't know. Well, it's hard. We're so heavily influenced by Alistair McKenzie here, rightly or wrongly, you know, but I think probably rightly. But you know, he only spent ten weeks here McKenzie. You know, it's an interesting story and so as you know, he came here, Royal Melbourne engaged him to come out, I guess through the RNA connection to come out and design their course. I think he got paid two hundred pounds and to help pay for that fee, they sort of farmed him out to a lot of other golf courses and they did a deal with him to split the fee so for any other work that they could find for him, he would go halves on his consulting fee. And he was seriously active. I mean he came here to Melbourne. He did the design for Roal Melbourne. He consulted to Kingston Heath and the Explorer and did a bunker plan. So you know, at that time it was quite common for courses to get built and then they would do the bunkering scheme after they opened, so they would kind of see how people played the gold of course and then figure out for where to put the bunkers. So that wasn't uncommon at the time. So he did an scheme for Kingston Heath, He did a plan for Metropolitan, He did a bunkering plan for Victoria. He went to Adelaide and did a plan for a design plan for Royal Adelaide. He went to new stath Whale and went to New Sos Golf Club. Royal Adelaide. He consulted by Doon. He consulted at two or three others. He went to Queensland and consulted I think Brisbane Golf Club in Dropilli Golf Club, all in ten weeks and he saw really nothing built. He saw the fifth Wester at Royal Melbourne either built or partly built, which is that kind of famous iconic path three from the elevated tea elevated green and hit across the valley. And he supposedly saw a little bit of fifteen at the uphill path three which was previously what could only have been an odd hole. It was a blind path four over the hill. So he brought the green back to the top of the hill. And I think he saw some bunkers built on the thirteenth ro Royal Adelaide and then he was gone. So but he influenced. He struck up a relationship with Alex Russell, who became a designer in his own right and designed a pretty cool set of four golf courses. He did the Royal Melbourne East, he did Lake carrn Up in Perth, he did Yariara and he did Parapari in New Zealand which is a great links course. And he also taught a father and son team of construction guy. So Mick Morecambe who was the Royal Melbourne superintendent, he built all his work there and then he built the work where they did a couple of greens at Metropolitan and did work at Victoria and basically what you know is the sand belt look with bunkers is very heavily influenced by Mick Morcomb or his son Vern, and Vern became the superintendent at king Sneve where he was for forty six years, and he changed that golf course a lot, he changed the bunkering a lot. He readed greens, he readed teas. So it's always interesting with Mackenzie just how much people talk about the credit, the big unknown factor, like the primary. His primary influence was ten weeks long, maybe not that much. Did a couple of plans but never saw them built. So he never really wrote about in his books how great the work was in Australia because he never saw it. But his secondary influence I think was huge. That's the thing. You know. He was clever that he found guys that were talented I guess, educated them and then they then went on and that then influenced the next generation and the next generation. So it was a it was a defining moment. Those ten weeks really changed the course of golf course design in Australia. So as an Australian, to get back to your question, he's clearly front and center in the Mount rush more of golf.
Speaker 2: I think it will be crazy if somebody did a golf course the way they used to bunker it. If they waited till some people play it and then bunkerd it, how much more effective and how fewer bunkers a golf course would have.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The only tricky thing with it, I guess would be the green complexes, because it's kind of hard to build bunkers and grains independently from one another. You know, they really they need to be built as one kind of shape when you know you're sculpting the land and you're building the green at the same time as you're building the shapes around the bunkers.
Speaker 2: Maybe a little bit more costly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but fairly bunkers. Yeah, you know, I guess it's sort of I mean, you would like to think now that I think you should know good enough to think through it.
Speaker 2: So you got Alistair McKenzie and your ones.
Speaker 1: Well he's in there. I mean, I don't know. I've traveled quite a bit. I really like cold In obviously in the UK and the influence he had over there. I really like gold courses. I've got a bit of a sucker for I haven't played a lot of his courses, but I'm always fascinated by Rainer and McDonald and I would love to see surely the time's right. Actually, in fact, I saw a photo of someone who was doing a bit of a too. You kind of wonder with golf course design, whether the just have whether like art movements, whether we'll go through a different you know. I mean a lot of the new courses built now I sort of look and feel similar. It'd be kind of nice, and I think it'd be cool to for someone to build a super geometric Rainer style, still strategic, but just visually quite different golf course. I would love to see that.
Speaker 2: I think they're doing it at Arcadia Bluffs is one that looks similar. You know, it's got the squared off greens and oh okay in the trench. It would be cool to see. Yeah, it'd be cool to see one of those in Australia.
Speaker 1: I would I mean unfortunately. I think because he's so unknown here that if you started down that track, they would put the client probably wouldn't let you unless they were really well traveled. They would look at it and go, you know, what do you what are you doing? That would be the challenge, with the challenge to convince them that yeah it's a worthy cause. So yeah, probably I would probably have mackenzie cult.
Speaker 2: We'll put amal mcarainer, you know, will make.
Speaker 1: Him one yeah, yeah, yeah, and maybe just hanging off the edge. I think the Malcombs I always feel good sorry for. I don't think they get the credit that is here in Australia anyway. Everyone talks, you know, talks about McKenzie. But yeah, when you look at Kingston Heath, it's a result of four or five different people over one hundred years. It's not you know, to call it a McKenzie course is way overstating it.
Speaker 2: How do you mean As an architect and knowing that a lot of work in this era will be redesigned and usually there's only one architect on the scorecard, what's your thoughts on approaching you know, should every architect be listed on a scorecard?
Speaker 1: Well? I I they very rarely the magazines, and they very rarely get it right. They either don't research it properly or they credit the kind of the known person. I don't really see why. I would prefer that they didn't credit any architect, to be honest. I mean, it's the champions the golf course and not the architects, you know, or trying to label one particular architects so difficult. I mean Kingston Heath, for instance, is you know it was a Dan Suitor course. Mackenzie did this plan, Vern Morecombe was, Mick morcamb built some work there. Vern Morcambe was a superintendent. I mean, we're the consulting accent now, but it would be totally wrong to credit us to it. And then you've had all different captains and presidents over the years that have influenced it. Yeah, the golf course today is the best it's ever been in a hundred years, and to try if you tried to restore it to any particular era, even the so called Mackenzie era, it would be a worse golf course. No way would it be as good as it is now. So it's kind of like, I don't know why. I mean, magazines are just obsessed by labeling each course with an archeced I would rather they didn't just call it, you know, Kingston Heath.
Speaker 2: My uncle gave me this old Jeff Cornish Ron Wittens book. It's called The Golf Course or he found it in his basement and gave it to me. And it's so funny. It's got like all the golf course in America and the architect and like there are still many that are off. Like they've got Short Acres in Chicago, which is a seth Rayner listed as an Alison. It's like, you know, how do they How does somebody think that Rainer's work was Allison's? They're like completely different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so at least and unfortunately, I mean in reality, some court not all courses. I mean some new courses you could you could pretty confidently say who did it. But yeah, some courses kind of read like the credits to a film, you know, I mean, you don't list twenty people and which clearly no one's going to do. So yeah, I don't know. I kind of get a bit over the whole trying to label every every course to a particular person or people. I just I wouldn't bother myself believe it.
Speaker 2: So a lot of my listeners are in America. And if if you were going down, if you're an American going to Australia and you got seven days and it's ye probably the only day, the only time in your life you're going to go. What what golf courses are you playing?
Speaker 1: Well, it's you really have to come to Melbourne and I would those four that I mentioned before, you would play the two courses at real Melbourne. Absolutely it's like Kingston eight and.
Speaker 2: We'll say a couple of thirty six holidays, not all thirty six holidays, okay.
Speaker 1: So well we're all Melbourne. You can do in a day. Let's call that a sety six whole day. So it's one day Victoria and another Metropolitan, another Kingston Heath another, so that's four days. I would then fly to Bamboo Dunes. You've got to play barmber woodeons and Lost Farm down there. Then on the day or two left, you could go to king Ireland. Selfishly, I would say you've got to come and play penincially Kingswood because it'll be finished by then. But it's always a tricky one because people ask us that question, would you go? But it's so it's such a big country and not that i'm you know, there's not the depth of golf in the other major cities as there is in Melbourne. I mean you could extend that if you wanted and play ten courses on the sand belt, whereas if you went to New So if you went to Sydney, you know you might play New South Wales and perhaps the Lakes. That's two. You know, if you went to Queensland, you're probably playing Royal Queensland maybe maybe one other. And Perth there's really like Karen up Adelaide, there's Royal Adelaide and maybe one or two other. So there's just not the depth. So to really get bang for your back, I think you're better off staying in one place and doing it properly rather than trying to fly all around the country. So I think it's been knowing up guys pretty much. Did that trip. I think it was Melbourne, predominantly Melbourne and then go down to Tasmania.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looked like an awesome trip.
Speaker 1: We're constantly here, you know, it's on my bucket least. I'm not sure whether I'll ever get You've just got to suck it. Up and get on a plane. I mean, it's not that far. A couple of movies, a bit of a sleep in your hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of my buddies is trying to get me to go next year or like this next holidays, so maybe we'll see. I got a lot of places to go every podcast, so add another place to where I want to go. But what's like the is there any like hidden gems that are worth seeing that nobody ever goes and sees.
Speaker 1: There's a couple in New Zealand. Definitely, not many people see Paraparau. It's a really good links course. It's a fantastic golf course. And there's another course way on the southern tip of New Zealand, which is a Lynx course. It's probably me think, I mean, there are some courses around it, certainly to an American they would never have heard of that are worth seeing, but you just probably wouldn't do them in your seven days because there's too much other good golf.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, it's is Tigarragi any good? The Mackenzie down there in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Tittering, Yeah, yeah, apparently so they restored they did a lot of work there ten years ago. Apparently I haven't seen it since, but apparently very good. Yeah, you know, and then of course you've got the new courses there as well, which are you know, really good. So you could easily do a trip, a separate trip to New Zealand in seven days.
Speaker 2: It's not that far, too, right.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's a it's like flying to Perth from here. It's like a three hour flight from the New Zealand.
Speaker 3: It's not at all.
Speaker 2: You just need a month, really, you need a month.
Speaker 1: You need it would be better. I mean it's a long way to come for seven days, I will say that, Yeah, I mean you're just getting over jet lag and then you're going home again. If you could stretch it to two or three weeks, that would be better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we'd be we'd be messing out if we didn't talk about your sketches. And I mean, oh, okay, you're one of the the world's four front golf sketchers. How did were you just always good at at drawing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was always interested in it. My dad was an artist, so he taught art at school, so he was teacher. So when I was young, I mean I had a teacher right there at home. So, and I enjoyed sketching, so he would sort of show me basics perspective and if I got you know, if I was drawing something for a school project, he would sort of show me perhaps a better way of doing it. So I kind of picked it up and put it down over the years, but never really seriously did it. And to be honest, it was only when I got into golf course design there was a reason suddenly to draw, because it was very helpful I think when I first started working in it, because no one else really could draw. It was an advantage to if I had an idea for a whole to be able to get a bit of paper and draw it on it in the field and say what do you think of this? Suddenly it was something that everyone could see and everyone could understand, and it was a really good way of getting your point across, whereas otherwise, you know, everyone's just pointing. It put me at various things and as it was confusing, so there was a reason to draw. And then you know, if you're in a committee room or sometimes I would draw for a plan, you know, to like do a worked up sort of drawing to do as part of a presentation, so I think that certainly got me interested in it again. And then it's then when Barbougle Dunes was built, Richard, the owner wanted a course guide. He wanted a yardage book. And I'd done ones before when I was playing just sort of all little ones and this, but suddenly this needed to be like a commercially produced one. I was pretty comfortable I could do it, and that was really the first one I did. And then out of that just not really I didn't really ever advertise, but just word of mouth, people asked me to do other course guides, and then I was quite keen to get to improve my proper painting, so not just horse guide drawings, but actual landscapes and things, and so I just over particularly the last ten years, I've probably spent a bit more time doing it. And yeah, I mean I don't have as much time to do it as I would like. I tend it's only when people ask me to do a painting or commission me to do something, it tends to sort of maybe a panic and think, okay, now now I've really got a knuckle down. So that kind of forces me to really spend my spare time painting for a month until I can produce something that's really good and then yeah, but then it's not like I'm sitting at home each night just yeah with the paints out, sketching and the like. But yeah, well to enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got to have a life too. You can't get.
Speaker 1: And because we've been so busy, it's just yeah, I probably haven't spent as much time doing it. But just recently I did a friend wanted some gifts for he took a group over to America, and so I did. I did six kind of proper watercolors for him and they turned out really well. So that was good because I basically painted for two months doing those. It must spare time, and it kind of I definitely got improved at the end of it. I felt pretty good.
Speaker 2: So I'm a I'm a horrendous draw sketcher, painter. What would be the most basic, easy piece of advice for somebody to get a little bit better?
Speaker 1: Uh, I think you've got to understand perspective, I think really, So you mean, like to draw a picture of a hole as it looks like if you're standing out on the golf course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Like if I wanted a draw hole. I'm horrible. I feel like I'm a thirty handicap asking for a tip on the range before a round right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's really getting a photo if you just got a photo of a golf hole of the green and the bunkers and just kind of just forget all the detail, but just look at very simply where the flag sits the green, and just the rough shape of the bunker and how the how perspective works. You know, it's things that are closer or bigger, and you know further away are smaller. Just having an understanding of that would be very helpful.
Speaker 2: That actually makes sense because if I drew on I would make them all the same size.
Speaker 1: You know, and that sort of Yeah, you see people and they don't kind of fill the page like you see guys do a little sketch and it's this kind of little bird scrawl in the middle or whatever over on the edge. It's like, no, no, no, let's fill the page. Let's see, you know, make the green. Just sort of understanding the size of things, you know, how big a flag is, how big a green is, how big a person would be if it's standing on the green. Just kind of understanding the sizes and the sky and just how perspective works. That would you would go a long way to improving your drawing. You don't have to worry about I mean, even if you can't. You don't have to be able to draw a lifelike people or life like trees, but just a simple line drawing just to kind of green and bunkers. It's so helpful. I mean, that's where it's helpful I think in design is just you don't have to be brilliant at it, but it's very helpful to Like, if you're with someone on a machine and you want them to build something that no one looks in plan view, no one sort of really understands if you draw something as though. It's because most plans are all from the air, it's very hard for people to understand how that translates to what's on the ground. Whereas if you can just do a really simple drawing in either in the dirt or on a bit of paper, suddenly it all makes sense. You know, how high a bunker lip's going to be, or the fact that, okay, you can see the left half of the green but not the right half of the ring because it's covered by a bunker, or the bunker comes a third of the way across the green, or you know those things in a very simple sketch. Suddenly it's you can give someone enough detail to spend the day building something that means you can go off and do something else. That's where it's really helpful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. It's uh, if you're just telling somebody, they're gonna take your words and interpret them and their head how they think that you want it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right. You know, we like to give the guys a little license to be creative. But yeah, if there's something that you really want, you know, we want to make sure it's this or that. You know, I'll do a little sketch and just sort of talk through it and leave it with them.
Speaker 2: So you ready for underrated? Overrated?
Speaker 1: Sure, yep, go for it.
Speaker 2: What everybody is waiting for, all right? Sand belt bunkering.
Speaker 1: I would say it's underrated in the world of golf, it's underrated, all right. I think that's I mean, here, we see it all the time, but the shaping and the way that the short grass works into the mets. Still, I think there's still so many clubs could learn from sand belt bunkering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the mowing lines. Like even if you had a little bit closer to that, it would.
Speaker 1: Be yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't have to copy the sand belt bunkers, but understand why they work. Well, I think, yeah, totally underrated.
Speaker 2: Kangaroos as an animal.
Speaker 1: You underrated or overrated? Oh well, I don't know. Again, well, probably overrated for us we see them, well they're not. Yeah, we seem all the time, I guess. But think I think the rest of the world probably wants to see more kangaroos.
Speaker 2: That is the easiest thing to spot, like a tourist, seeing the way they react when they see a kangaroo right, because they are point.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, if you think about it, they're a really odd creature, like very strange, you know. I mean, there's not really anything like them anywhere else in the world. That guess.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: What I mean, they can be Yeah, they be too, some of them. So there's a there's a there's a gray kangaroo and a red kangaroo. The red kangaroos. You see the grays down here in Sydney and Melbourne. The red ones are in the outback and they are really when they stand up on their back feet, they are tall, and their their tail is so strong. You know, they can kill like a dog, like whipping the dog and then they'll claw at them, so they can be mean. They're quite intimidating when you see when standing up on it behind lakes. I've played golf tournaments before where you know, you hit your ball need the kangaroos and you kind of you don't really want to go in there and get it. So they're pretty intimidating.
Speaker 2: They're kind of like the Australian swan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I guess yes, one's a pretty Uh they can be I.
Speaker 2: Think they can break your arm with their neck. Yeah, oh really yeah, if they snapped their neck, they can break a human arm. Wow. Yeah, of course. I grew up Caddy and at had like the meanest swan in the world in one of their pints, and like the thing like you'd be walking like twenty yards away from the water edge and the thing would be hissing at you. It was you know, and then one kid broke his arm from the swan and that swan was gone. So let's get back on here. Overrated Underrated golf in Japan.
Speaker 1: I've never played there. I would say overrated. I reckon it's that Let me think about that, because there's a couple of great courses there I've always wanted to see, but that I think they're a long way from where they were from by all accounts, I'm going to say overrated.
Speaker 2: Maybe a place that's right for restoration of the another like Alison.
Speaker 1: Did it good. So it's like, yeah, there's there's certainly three or four that you know, by all accounts, worth seeing, but they're just you can a bit like you know, perhaps like La Country Club was before the restoration. Yeah, you can kind of tell the bones of a great course are there, but it's just needs a bit of work to get back.
Speaker 2: Is there anywhere like in Asia, like or Southeast Asia that's like got sandy soil that the world hasn't found yet for golf.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure about Southeast I mean, well, actually East the world's founded, but the east coast of Vietnam where there's quite a few courses being built. There's some really good sand dunes there all the way out. Greg Norman's group did a course there, unbelievable sand dunes, huge ho tram. It's called home trend links, unbelievable site, beautiful site. So there are pockets. I mean we used to think twenty or thirty years ago, you know, you didn't necessarily think of Asia as having all these great sites, but they do. You know, there's some really good land through through Vietnam, China, there's some really good sites. So they're around absolutely, and there's some really good sites in Australia. It's just that we don't have the population too, you know, the build it and they will come kind of concept. Is it's hard here, you know, we just don't have the population base of America really to make it work. Yeah, but there's some Perths very This is some brilliant land in perse up and down the coast where you can drive an hour up north of Perth and it is incredible land on the water, sandy ground, undulating, beautiful vegetation. But they built a number of years ago, they built a really good golf course over there, only forty minutes from person. No one goes there to play, so you can't convince them to go. Great so you could, you could build a sand valley, but just trying to get the people there to be the challenge.
Speaker 2: As a Chicago. I live in the City of Chicago. It's like a minimum of forty minutes for me to golf anywhere. And if I could put golf on as a coast on Sandy on Sandy Ground, I'd be like forty minutes done.
Speaker 1: So well. Yeah, and that's that's the challenge for those courses on King Island, you know, the two that were built. They're spectacular, but you've either got to get on a little plane to get there, which is not everyone's kind of cup of tea. But yeah, and they time, the island's got fifteen hundred people on it, so there's not enough people on the island to play there to just keep it, you know, ticking along. So it's just hard, you know, really hard for those isolated courses to get the traffic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's that's almost everywhere. But you know, they also don't have like the big American budgets that tell everybody that this is the greatest course ever before it's open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: It's but Mike, thanks for coming on, and we'll look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. You're on Twitter and what is it at, Mike Cocking.
Speaker 1: Oh my Twitter, Yeah, yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Then you're are you on INSTAGRAMM golf one as well, Yeah, o CCM Golf at OCCM golf, and then they're on Twitter. Lots of great pictures of golf courses that make you kind of drool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fantastic.
Speaker 2: Look forward to seeing some of your work in the near future.
Speaker 1: Terrific. Thanks so much, Andy, Thanks Mike.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the fried Egg podcast. We do the digging for you.