Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. Welcome to Merrin Talk to Your Money, the personal finance edition of Merin Talks Money. In these bonus podcasts, we talk about the best strategies for making the most of your money. I'm Marenzumzep, Web Editor at Large for Bloomberg UK Money. We've got the second half of the special broadcast we recorded at the Bloomberg offices in London on the fourteenth of July. If you missed the first portion, go back and listen to last week's episode. It was an hour long panel focused on how the world of wealth management is changing, about the rise of next generation wealth clients and the growing role of alternatives in modern portfolio construction. The banelers were John Steppeck, senior reporter and author of the Money Dissold newsletter, Charlie Morris, chief investment officer and founder of byte Tree, a leading provider of investment research in traditional finance and digital assets. We also as your Dammy and Marie, Global head of Investments for Barkley's Private Bank and Wealth Management. Here is the second half of our conversation. I think we advertise where we're going to talk about how AI except with affect the wealth management business. So here we go and we do have to have questions. So de send more and I've got quite a lot, but more is good. This is kind of the key, the absolute key to the to the wealth management business over the next next couple of decades, technology and AI transforming the investment process. Where do you see AI creating the greatest value for advisors over the next three to five years. Is it improving productivity, enhancing investment insights, or delivering a better client's experience. I mean, I would hope that it will be all three.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably all three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think what's going to happen back to democrats journeys. What we're working on is ready to help clients enjoy the high touch. So is that you could only have thought at a certain level at the much lower level.
Speaker 2: And that's really the revolution, I feel, because you.
Speaker 1: Can use AI agency do basic work augmented done by somebody, and you can concentrate on the actual client server, place to face stuff.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, But what we've seen in our experience here is you do need human judgment.
Speaker 2: As I'm sure you know. We had a an attempt with robo advice. It didn't work out very well.
Speaker 3: We've launched a month ago planning let service with an advisor in the middle. That is the opportunity. I think clearly you're going to see a higher quality advice deliver that scale, I think thanks to AI.
Speaker 4: So it will definitely improve productivity.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we know that, although it won't necessarily improve productivity in such a way that you'll end up getting rid of human staff.
Speaker 4: Right, people aren't going to lose their jobs over this.
Speaker 1: They're just going to become more productive and hence better at the client creazing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all experience. Really, We've actually really put.
Speaker 3: Back the human in the meal in that part of the advice process because this is what's working on.
Speaker 1: So the client experience and the actual relationship with the advances should improve. And what about actual better investment outcomes? Are you're going to be able to use it to improve your investment process, to improve the insights.
Speaker 3: So I'm more que guy by training, but I'm fascinated by the ability to go for research now through tools which are quite spectacular. All right, So so again the insights is still require like we value the opinion, we value the analysis but how much you can process quick is quite spectacular, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: And that's really moving fast. Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to the point of again, is alpha going to disappear thanks to that?
Speaker 2: I think that's all wide our discussion.
Speaker 1: The same tool of what happens to the answer, Yeah, I'm optimistic on now telling you construct portfolios.
Speaker 4: You must be finding that AI is changing the way you work.
Speaker 5: Well, it's like have you an assistance, So that's good, but there are better things you can do with it. By discussing this morning, would I trust trust it to H to reevaluate our portfolios? The answer is no. Would I trust it to even book trades? No, I wouldn't not at this point, although we have experimented. But as we grow to many more portfolios that I think we'll have to So I think that's the interesting part. But to answer that question, there's a lot of admin in having a client in the wealth management industry that's solved by AIR or improved by AI, and I think the client experience will be much better. But the most useful thing that the industry can do is deliver returns. But there's no more returns coming from AI. There's no alpha coming from AI. That the you know, alpha's axiosum game as we know it comes from some and it goes to others, and the beta is the direction of the returns of the market, and they're not going to be a return. They're not going to be changed materially by AI the long term either, So I don't think that anyone's going to make more money out of it in the next ten to twenty years. This current wave of excitement, you know, it's not going to last for ever, and once that's over look through that it's going to be back to normal. But I think that there's going to be a new bunch of actors who do better and others that lose out. But of course the buffetology would always win through long term decisions. I think that AI will have no chance against long term decision making, good decision making, which is what value investors thrive off, So that stays. I don't think that changes at all. But the short term shenanigans and the narratives and stuff, they'll just go even more crazy than they've already been.
Speaker 1: I suppose, because as you were saying earlier when we were talking about creating AI portfolios, if you're using an LLM of any kind. They're not creating new information or new ideas that are simply correlating old or more likely recent information, So maybe the insights are not there's.
Speaker 5: That, and so if they're just sort of, you know, really sophisticated Google in that sense, then then I think there's probably not much edge there. If everyone's got it.
Speaker 4: Okay, we do have more questions. Got to move on, John.
Speaker 1: I know you're not a wealth manager, but I still think that that you might be able to help with this one. And then I'd love to air your views on as well. Looking ahead, what do you believe will differentiate the leading wealth managers over the next decade? Will success be driven primarily by investment performance, access to private markets, technology, or the quality of client relationships?
Speaker 4: And I know we always come down on this.
Speaker 6: Don't we. Obviously investment if you can do it, but I far more is that I think that by far the more important thing is navigating regulation and government changes over the next If you told me in the next decade and tax is going to be where the biggest value I think for almost any wealth advisor will be. And when I say think outside the box, what I mean is somebody will turning around and say to you, well, that's the best investment you need right now is the second passport. And I know somebody who I can pass you on to. We've already seen a whole load of changes here in the UK in the last couple of years, and Britain is not the only country with a deficit and a debt problem. So I think we're going to see an awful lotic kind of government budget changes and that will put a premium more in decent tax advice completely above board. But I think that's where they'll be again.
Speaker 4: That comes back to hyper personalization, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: The idea the whole portfolio, not just the not just the investment portfolio, but the entirestic portfolio of someone's life is understood by the wealth manager, and the tax can be fiddled with the I'm.
Speaker 4: After optimized optimized.
Speaker 2: I think that's true.
Speaker 6: And the thing that's what it can come in as well. It's almost like if you go to your GP and the actually AI that works and it says, actually you need to send this guy too, you know, okay, this specialist of that specialist I.
Speaker 1: Think that you want.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I mean that's in my dreams.
Speaker 4: Dream medical world.
Speaker 1: Back to you on this idea of what will mean success in future investment formats, access to private markets and anything that's it by the way, but who knows client experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we concur with you, and actually I'm responsible for the investment business and Parkers, but I'm also responsible for weals, planning and advisories.
Speaker 2: Yes, under one team, and I completely agree with you. I think the planning.
Speaker 3: Side, that's like the GP work you do at the outset, is so important and probably more than ever to your point, the ability to to build proper plan, quality plan that you can actually deliver through various segments of clients is where you're going to make a difference. I think the return side will be very important. That the return side has to be fit for purpose, for the situation and if.
Speaker 1: You've made if you've made a mistake and you don't have a tax division portfolio, whether you make six percent or eight percent in real clouds every year, is mech differends correct?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think the it's not by accident that we've launched this affluent service in the UK, which is planning led first and foremost. This is really really what we think is important clearly return will be important education as well, like time should be on your side, like this is real competitive advantage if you have time. It's great enjoyed time and compounds.
Speaker 4: And that planning has turned out really anticipate as well, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: We do.
Speaker 1: There's nothing in the UK now except for talk about what tax might go up next and how it might go up and whether it might be indexed or not index and you know where the mansion tax is going to be on one and a half million pounds or two million pounds, et cetera, et cetera, and basically our whole conversation. So as a planning you've got a lot of anticipation of what might come away.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and this is where you actually get into real deep conversation with clients Like I sit in a few conversations like this on Well's Planning when wes Advisor, and it's really you know, people open up. You actually understand the old family all the time, ynamics, all the beliefs as well, like the values for next gen et cetera. And I think it's really really important and then we can debate about bitcon TF et cetera. But like that plan at the very building is so important. I think this is where you're going to make a difference. And again AI will allow us to deliver that kind of a high touch diagnostic at much higher.
Speaker 1: Scale as well. Management evolves to serve the next gend of clients. How do you see banks expectations of third party data providers and technology partners changing. What will find a successful partnership going forward.
Speaker 2: It's a very good.
Speaker 3: Question, and I think the tech infrastructure is really at the hurt of our our our thinking both from a client experience side and a resilient site, right, I mean button to peplese daste. We really want to create the best architecture we can to do great CX. We will not built everything ourselves, for sure. We're really happy to to just partner with people so they can understand us. We're gonna own or really the one of the most critical parts of the equation, which is the data point, the data set.
Speaker 2: Right, we will it's going to be in the bank.
Speaker 3: We'll be more than happy if you want to benefit from this ecosystem where people are doing the watchhow reg development, you know to do things you need to do before you actually give an advice, and.
Speaker 2: Sometimes there's a lot of data involvement.
Speaker 3: There's it's moving, it's changing, it's changing now right as we speak. We're very open minded actually to partner with people. I guess question will be how many Uh, it's probably a question like in this world where you really want to be on top of your architecture security, how many partners can we have in terms of really understanding each other very well?
Speaker 1: And also if you have to fully understand how they are using new technology, they are using AI harm and suddenly you.
Speaker 4: Need to have a lot more oversight of the inside of every program.
Speaker 2: We've been involved for a very.
Speaker 3: Long time in supporting a fintech for instance, so we want to strike the right balance between innovation.
Speaker 2: They're also like scaling resilience.
Speaker 1: Okay, a couple more quick ones are well funds using data well enough to understand client behavior, preferences and portfolio needs.
Speaker 4: Maybe not yet but soon will be.
Speaker 2: In the UK, we're working they're hard on the launching targeted support. So it's right GBR. It's a large part of that.
Speaker 3: The understanding of the client behavior across all dimensions of the touch points they have with the back across actually everything is a very big part. So it's actually happening fast, I think, and it's actually a very interesting discussion in terms of how far you go and what do you need to plan far knowing what you know on the.
Speaker 1: Client Charlie, we've talked about You've done the whole discussion is crypto and actic class? Isn't it that asset classes bitcoin in that classic? But really to stuff with bitcoin? If you're constructing a portfolio and we talk about digital assets, what else is in there?
Speaker 4: We're putting other cryptocurrencies in there?
Speaker 2: What's going into.
Speaker 5: This one of the sort of credible things sort of survived the last decade of innovation and all the rest of it. You've basically got Bitcoin as the only sort of store of value, the sort of a digital gold proxy as it were. Then you've got what they call the layer ones, basically the things that you can transfer assets with, theorems at Solana and near and things like that, and they're the home for stable coins, and in many people's eyes, that the future of markets generally, because I think a lot of the people in the financial service industry who are pro crypto believe that stock exchanges and bond exchanges will end up using that kind of infrastructure, and so they're very real tech businesses as it were. And I think the third category really the exchanges themselves, things like finance, and there are some other weird and wacky ones, and there's lots of other stuff, but it hasn't really got to scale or even itself. So those are the things that are coming through. But the fascinating bits I said earlier, just as the above ground supply of gold is the vast majority of the tradeable value of all the commodity markets, you know, the above ground supply of all is actually quite small. Yeah, I mean us a lot of oil, but it's not really there as an asset. Commodity is overwhelmed by gold in investable terms, just as bitcoin overwhelms digital as an investable asset. And they're connected, you know, they're all connected. So I think that's the interesting point.
Speaker 4: Convinced yet working on it.
Speaker 2: For us, the tokenization part of it is really important.
Speaker 3: I think we'll see so many more clients coming and asking for us to you know, on board and assets somewhere that's been tokenized somewhere else.
Speaker 2: We need to be able to do that marskiing.
Speaker 5: But what we should do is do what everyone else does in the financial service industry and say say I love blockchain, but I don't like cropte, and that is.
Speaker 1: The perfect place to end. Thank you, Thank you so much for joining me today. Thanks John, Thank you Charlie, Thank you JD. That was that was very interesting and I look forward to every private bank portfolio having what was it eight and a half percent of crypto isn't it.
Speaker 5: Bigcoin? It was Sikes for sharing Bay, Yes, but Bold is the alternative of course.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this week's Maren Talk to Your Money. If you like our show, rate review and subscribe wherever you listen to. The podcasts also be showed. Follow me and John on ex or Twitter at marins w and John Underscore stepic. This episode was produced by Semisadi and Moses and sound designed by Blake Mabel's and Aaron Casper. Questions and comments on this show and all our shows are always welcome. Our show email is Mern Money at Bloomberg dot net.