Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decide to drop into the show. Now, here's your host, Paul Chari.
Speaker 3: Nope, it's not Paul Charchi. And again it's Matt Harrison and Brian Johnson. We're back for a second consecutive week of Fantasy Football Weekly.
Speaker 4: Charch's whiskey supply is it's down.
Speaker 5: It's dwindles.
Speaker 4: Better come home soon. Hopefully he's all right.
Speaker 3: All the four Roses is gone. All the Buffalo whatever Trace, Buffalo Trace.
Speaker 5: That was it.
Speaker 3: I always get Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace mixed up.
Speaker 4: That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 5: I'm not a huge whiskey guy anymore.
Speaker 4: I'm not either. I mean, I enjoy it, but I like the tequila.
Speaker 5: The tequila.
Speaker 4: Yea, even like Kirkland tequila is good. You know what, tequila is the only alcohol. It's not a depressant. They say, Oh okay, it's like more of an upper and tequila get is such a bad I need to rewatch that show Last Man on Earth for those don't right, Yeah, where were we though? Oh tequila? So yeah, we're we're like we're young men in our early forties. But tequila like was to our age group, is like was Jose Cuervo wicking the salt with the lime afterwards? Just like regrettable nights abound from tequila. But now it's like a classy drink. You have a little tequila on on the rocks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean like a lacroix, a laquah, laquah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's it's it's not a depressant like every other liquor. And like calorically speaking, it's like the least calories.
Speaker 5: I believe tequila gotta keep that girlish figure going.
Speaker 4: Don't do the shots with the salt and the lime and all that.
Speaker 5: And the seven up. I remember the tequila poppers back in the day. What's that in college?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: I think it was like seven up tequila and then you like slammed it down on the bar and then it started fizzing and you had to shoot.
Speaker 5: It something like that sounds messy, I don't know, and unnecessary. Sounds like a hangover in the morning.
Speaker 4: At this point, I think most people have come close to having needing their stomach to be pumped from one too many shots of Jose Quervo. I know, I've been there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a few songs about it actually, especially on the country stations.
Speaker 4: Definitely not drinking the quervo. I like. I like to clear tequila.
Speaker 5: Too, oh the silver silver. Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, Well we'll have to go out and you'll have to educate me on find tequila some night.
Speaker 4: I just said I like the Kirkling guy, so I don't know if I don't really I don't buy the fine, fine stuff quite yet, but.
Speaker 5: Hey, Kirkland's not bad.
Speaker 3: We're gonna hop into a super flex mock draft of a startup.
Speaker 5: What a dynasty startup?
Speaker 4: What are these words you're saying? Now, there's some people out there that are gonna be like but some people don't know it's super flex.
Speaker 3: Still, some people who listen to Fantasy Football Weekly don't play dynasty.
Speaker 5: They don't and don't play super.
Speaker 4: Flex or Empire are preferred Dynasty. That's true, So tell them what it is.
Speaker 3: All the things, me, tell all things all right, Well, Dynasty league is where you get to hold players over year to year. You get to hold all of your team if you want, you do a rookie draft each year, and when you do a startup, that is the preferred way to get out and disperse all of the players in the league. Now, when I do a startup, normally, I do it by auction because I think that that is the.
Speaker 5: Superior way, especially on the startup side.
Speaker 4: It gives everyone a fair chance, absolutely the same chance to get there whatever player they want. But most people do drafts still to this day. So that's why we're gonna.
Speaker 5: Now into the raft in the league that we're in together.
Speaker 3: It's we did a startup auction back in the day, and then we do a draft now for the rookies, so you can trade those draft picks and that kind of thing for the future. I know Scott Fish who's like the Minister of dynasty and DEBI he would proclaim that you should do rookie auctions in that kind of thing, which just seems complicated to me, where you're trading auction dollars that you don't quite have yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm in a league that a dynasty league that does that, and I don't how it works. Is you trade, you still trade your draft picks, but there's a dollar amount tied to the draft to this day. If I was going to propose a trade right now, I can't go and look at how much my my picks are worth. I really don't know that until the auction day. But it is fun. Sure, auctions are are more fun in general, but again, we won't be discussing auction all right energy sadly.
Speaker 5: In a dynasty league.
Speaker 3: Our preferred way to play a super flex where you have, you know, quarterbacks worth a little bit more. Uh, they're they're they're able to play in a flex position.
Speaker 5: So that's normally flex.
Speaker 4: There's a super flexible spot where you could start a second quarterback, yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's usually normally it's two quarterbacks. So now, if you're starting up a super flex league, who Brian would be your first player that you would pick to put on a team that you get to keep for the rest of their career.
Speaker 4: Now, before we start, i'd like to I consider myself one of the forefathers of two quarterback plays. There's like nothing officially on record, but my first league that I was the commissioner of, yeah, it was like two thousand. You know, this is like you're still using paper and pencil USA today. Yep, I can only get four other people to play with me, so we have five people. So I was like, yeah, we're just gonna each have two quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: It was mad with any of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's still most of the guys still in the league, and you know, it didn't take long to get to ten teams. Yeah, but we just stuck with the two quarterbacks. And it can never and this is two mandatory quarterbacks, not sure superflex and you could never. You can never go twelve teams with two mandatory quarterbacks. There's just not enough quarterbacks. And super flex you can go to twelve, maybe even more, but twelve is really the most you want to go because you don't have to start two quarterbacks. But yeah, I've been playing two quarterback leagues forever and they're just they're more fun, so a lot. You know, if you're not in a super flex league, we highly suggest you check one.
Speaker 3: Well it it makes your quarterbacks worth something. I've been in dynasty leagues that are single quarterback before. You can't trade quarterbacks. You could have three good ones on your roster, but everybody's got one. Yeah, and when they don't, they don't they're not worth anything.
Speaker 4: And when the value of the quarterbacks go up. It just opens up the avenues for trading all of the other players. It's just a way more fun fluid league all that. So, Okay, long story short, quarterbacks highly valuable and super flex format. So gonna take one first overall, and a lot of these fixer are gonna be quarterbacks. But right now you're starting up a new dynasty league. You're looking at the big three in quarterbacks, which is Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts. I decided to go with Josh Allen, saying I don't know how much you have to defend it really turns twenty seven soon. Yeah, so he's still young, but you know he's got plenty of time left to play it at an elite level. Really, just he's got the arm and he's got the legs. Mahomes has the arm, he's somewhat mobile. Hurts has the legs.
Speaker 5: For sure.
Speaker 4: The arm is getting there, but Alan just seems like the you know, the total package right now. His weapons are probably not as good as the Eagles weapons are, and Diggs is getting a little older, but they'll continue to you know, reload new receivers and whatever. There for Allen for the next six to seven years. So, Josh Allen, I'm gonna shut up. No, he's the first pick, all right, me, I get to pick second. I would have picked Patrick Mahomes at number one, and I'll pick him at number two. The reason why, and this will probably kind of suss out in some of the picks that I make and probably some of the picks that Brian makes as well too.
Speaker 3: In dynasty leagues, I want the super long term guy, and I feel like the running quarterback has just a little bit less of a shelf life, at least to do the primetime rushing things. I think Patrick Mahomes, I think he's just sticky as he's absolutely going to be a top five quarterback for the next ten years.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I can say that about Hurts. If Allen's rushing numbers tend to go away, I think he could still do, but it's less attractive to me, so I take Mahomes there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't argue that at all. I mean, the real concern with Mahomes and the somewhat short term is Travis Kelcey falling off at some point and or retiring.
Speaker 5: How much of that will at some point.
Speaker 4: We'll see about that. But yeah, Mahomes again, you can't make a case against really any of these three going one, two, or three. So I'll just get to it with the third pick. If I was on the board or on the clock right now, I would just take Jalen Hurt, So the last the big three, he's the youngest between Allen. Among Allen and Mahomes. Hurt turns twenty five in August, twenty three rushing touchdowns over the last two seasons. He's missed a couple of games each year too, so those numbers could be higher. Bulked up a lot last year. People said he couldn't throw a couple of years ago. They were wrong. Philly's has loaded up with weapons with a J. Brown, Davante Smith, Dallas Goddard. It has acquired DeAndre Swift, who is still very young, past catching threat and just an electric offense. And Hurts can kill you in a good way both ways, so rushing and received or rushing and passing, of course, So yeah, Jalen Hurts. Who's who is I would take? Who is who I would take? Wow, there we go. Where's the tequila?
Speaker 5: I don't know if charge has any maybe maybe maybe he's got some.
Speaker 4: I don't want to check.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: I know, I know he's got some crookling in there, because the house sad for him once and we got to know each other, all right, Uh crookling bottle.
Speaker 3: At pick four, I went a little bit out off of I do a dynasty trade value chart over at shock Fantasy, and if you want to, uh be a part of that, you can just go subscribe at shock Fantasynasty.
Speaker 5: That it's great.
Speaker 3: It's good for making your dynasty trades. I went a little lower for a guy who's a little bit lower on my list, but a guy who I think has, you know, at least a decade or more of solid play, and that's Joe Burrow. His weapons are young, he's young, not like the most mobile guy in the world, but the arm seems wildly accurate, and I think that he's just in line for at least another decade of solid performances and battling Mahomes for the AFC crown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a better runner than most people think. But you kind of cringe when he takes off because you don't want him to. That's how he got hurt a few years ago. He blew out his knee, but yeah, that's not how he really makes his hey but when he needs to run again. But yet he's probably outside of Mahomes, the best pure passer in the NFL.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, who'd you get at five?
Speaker 4: Keep the quarterbacks rolling? And there's a few options here that I'm going with a guy who this time last year would not be going fifth overall in a dynasty startup somewhere. Had the audacities would call him a bust going to last year, that was a little too soon to make that call. But he's not a bust. And that's Trevor Lawrence of the Jaguars. Of course, turns twenty four in October, so he's incredibly young for a guy going to his third year and you know, an emerging offense in Jacksonville. Loved the coaching staff there now now that urban miner's not the head coach. Very offensive, friendly environment there for Lawrence, who's got a ton of weapons. Also can run when he needs to. Average is nearly five yards per carry, very effective when he runs. That said, he doesn't run as much as the Daniel Jones and Josh Allens of the world ran about. You know, had about half as many rushing attempts last year. But when he runs, he's effective, he's fast, and he can he can, you know, lay the boom down too. He has some runs where you're flat out running some people over. I recall a couple in the AFC conference uh, not the conference championship, but the divisional round against the Chiefs. He had some runs where you're like, whoa, this guy's yeah, this guy's the real deal, full package. So a total package, though Trevor Lawrence seems like the safest pick at five and offerates insane upside too.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're gonna go with the fifth AFC quarterback out of the first six picks. Then I'll go with justin Airbear. I don't know do we have the air bear sound effect on here? We've got the stat trombone skis.
Speaker 4: Will always be there.
Speaker 5: Raw.
Speaker 3: We got two Mitch Trubisky buttons out of our eight here.
Speaker 4: Three Charge is a little obsessed, jeez, Charge. These are all that's for Duck Hodge what was that guy's name.
Speaker 3: I think we can all be a backup quarterbacks for what former Steelers?
Speaker 5: Yeah, former Steelers backups Cornel Stewart. But this is the revenge.
Speaker 3: Duck right, that's right, Hell yeah, I'll take airbear here. Justin Herbert again, similar situation. Just has a great offense around him. They've built the entire franchise to see his success, and he's put up great numbers so far, and it's tough to argue with having a guy who should be behind center for another ten years.
Speaker 4: Yep, agreed.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick break and then we'll come back and we'll go pick seven through twelve of our superflex dynasty startup. Matt Harrison Brian Johnson with you on Fantasy Football Weekly. Follow Brian at BTXJ on Twitter. You can follow me at Explosive Output on Twitter. We're in the middle of a superflex dynasty startup draft little mock here. It started with Josh Allen, then Patrick Mahomes, Jalen hurt sp went three, Joe Burrow at four, Trevor Lawrence at five, Justin Herbert at six. We haven't had a non QB go yet. Will it happen at pick seven?
Speaker 4: No? Oh, it shall not. And there's really two quarterbacks left that can go in the spot. I'm going with the the younger option in Justin Fields, who recently turned twenty four, just a young buck already though, looks like one of the best rushing quarterbacks in NFL history. It's I mean, if he stays on this on this plane, I mean, it's it's it's Michael Vick and it was Lamar Jackson, and Justin Fields looks like he, you know, he's right in that group. Just could be the best running quarterback now over Lamar Jackson. And they quote, they say he can't pass, just like they said about Jalen Hurts. But I think there's still a potential for Fields as a passer. He didn't have anyone to throw to his first two years in the league. Now he's got some some more help in Dj Moore and hopefully they you know, continue to add to his arsenal. But just the rushing upside for Fields is huge and somewhat of a spoiler alert. Lamar Jackson certainly can be considered here, but I just went with Fields as three, maybe even four years younger than Jackson. Now, not that makes Jackson old, but I'm going with the younger guy in Fields because it's a startup.
Speaker 5: Another spoiler alert. Jackson doesn't go for a little while now.
Speaker 4: Could be a mistake.
Speaker 5: It could be.
Speaker 3: It could be I'm at pick eight, I will take Justin Jefferson and take the first wide receiver off the board. Why Jefferson. He's been absolutely brilliant for his first couple of years in the NFL, and he's got another five ten to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I took him first overall in our redraft my last year of full PPR, and yeah, Jefferson will probably should be very well could be the number one pick in redraft PPR league for the next five six years in a row he stays healthy.
Speaker 3: I have him at number four on my super Flex trade valued chart right now, So getting him an eight, I feel like, is a pretty good steal. The case you can make against Jefferson is who is this quarterback next year?
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: That's the biggest case you can make against him, which is and it's a solid case because the guy that you're about to pick next you don't have to make that case.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so it's not going to be a quarterback, of course, even though in hindsight, I'm kind of like, I probably should have went Lamar Jackson here, but I didn't. Can't turn back the clock. I went Jamar Chase recently termed twenty fours and he's already played. Only picking twenty four year old, only picking a twenty four year old twenty four is pretty young for a guy like Chase, who's already made a huge, huge impact in the league and he'll continue to do so for the fable future. I mean, like you alluded to with Jefferson, when you value your wide receivers in a dynasty startup or just at any point in a dynasty league, it's who they're tied to a quarterback, And yeah, Chase is pretty pretty well set with Joe Burrow for quite some time.
Speaker 5: So yeah, absolutely, Chase.
Speaker 4: It feels like a very safe pick who I'll happy, be happy to have as my wide receiver one in a dynasty league for years to come.
Speaker 3: Sure, and I couldn't resist a pick ten to now take Lamar Jackson, who I mean, frankly probably should have gone a lot earlier in this draft. But sometimes players fall, and maybe it was just kind of the weird offseason grind that Lamar had that caused him to fall this far in our fake super flex dynasty mon draft league.
Speaker 4: And he missed the last six games of the regular season last year. I missed the playoffs, so that left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. But yeah, he's he's back up on the upswing. Though. In terms of ADP in both Dynasty and Redraft, we talked about it last week. It should be a very used to be very run heavy offense in Baltimore. That should change with their new offensive coordinator Todd Munkin, not Art Munkin, and some new toys as well in Baltimore with Obja who's kind of an old toy, but Zay Flower is a wide receiver people like a lot, So yeah, you probably that's probably the steal of the draft so far. Most likely is Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 5: H yeah, all right, pick number eleven. Brian.
Speaker 4: People are who aren't real familiar with Dynasty leagues, especially startups. They're probably like, where are the running backs and it's not gonna You're not gonna see one, or maybe you will, but.
Speaker 5: Not with this pick, because you will see one.
Speaker 4: You know. Long at the end of the day, run wide receivers have a longer shelf life their running backs, so you go after the young elite ones and ceedee. Lamb is very much that he just turned twenty.
Speaker 5: Four, he's been the last.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's played three years already, so he's still very young and his numbers have just gotten better and better year over year. Was an absolute stud. Last year we just talked about, you know, it's important to see who your wide receiver is tied to. When it comes to quarterback Dak Prescott.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, he's top half of the NFC, that's for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the NFC, that's not saying much man. Yeah, the AFC, though, how hard is it going to be to win the AFC for years to come up the NFC. If you're making like just betting on teams to win the Super Bowl, this pick NFC teams because they have much better there's only like three Yeah, that's true. But yeah, ceedee lamb. Dak should be more than serviceable for at least a few more years with CD. He is elite. He really showed it last year. It took him a little while to ramp up to that that status, but he was competing with Amari Cooper at times. So now he is the guy in Dallas and he'll continue to be that for the for the very foreseeable future. So ceedee lamb.
Speaker 3: Uh last pick in the first round, and this is all we're gonna do. And you know, considering it was a it's a it's a draft, and if we were doing this, it would be a snake. So I'd be picking another guy after this at Team twelve.
Speaker 4: Well, we can throw that in.
Speaker 3: Maybe Bijon Robinson is the guy that I selected, And the reason I selected him is because his value is just out of this world. Right now, he's like the highest rated running back in Dynasty and it's not close right now, just because he's got that youth. He's in his age twenty one season. That's crazy. So he's going to be around for at least a little while. And if your team's going to suck and you have to make trades or you have to rebuild, Bijon is an absolute piece that you can ship off and expect to get multiple firsts and maybe a couple of young players back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's going in the first round of most redraft league, so he has people have the win now expectations from Bijon Robinson too, So yeah, he gives you the short term return and hopefully long value if he can stay healthy, because yeah, he's one of those blue chip prospects where we've only seen a handful over the last twenty years. We're talking, you know, Saquon Barkley, Adrian Peterson type.
Speaker 3: And if I'm sitting at that at that turn, and we'll make the extra bonus pick here, Yeah, I think I take Anthony Richardson to go along with him. Start with two rookies and just start off your draft with like, holy buckets, we're going for it and we're going for it big.
Speaker 4: Yeah. If Richardson hits, he should hit big time. That's for sure. He could be a huge bus. But if he you know, if he can, he could join the Michael Vicks Lamar Jackson justin fields of the world when it comes to rushing and if the passing gets there, yeah, he could be very well be a top five pick going into Dynasty startups next year. Yeah. Absolutely. It's all right.
Speaker 3: That's it for Fantasy Football Weekly this week. Next week, I believe charge is back and hopefully I think with you.
Speaker 4: Right, question Mark, maybe maybe fish who's fish fishes around. He's a fish is swimming.
Speaker 3: He's going swimming. Man, it's a great dad joke there. All right, that's it for the show. Thanks to Brian, Thanks to all of you for listening.
Speaker 4: Thanks to you, Matt.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, and uh, you know, like like subscribe, do that rating thing on your your favorite podcast platform to you know, boost those numbers.
Speaker 4: Up for us. Hey, you don't want us to go away?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we appreciate it. Talk to you guys next week.
Speaker 1: Fantasy Football Weekly is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.