Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Jacob. This week, I want to play for you an episode from another podcast that Pushkin just launched. It's a show called Risky Business and it's hosted by Nate Silver and Maria Konikova. It's a show about making better decisions. Both Nate and Maria are journalists and they are also high stakes poker players, so they're bringing their perspective both from their work in journalism and from the poker table to help you think about risk and decision making. On the show, they talk about everything from poker to politics to making better choices in your own life. The show is called Risky Business with Nate Silver and Maria Kanakova. You can find it wherever, and I hope you like it here it.
Speaker 3: Is Welcome back to Risky Business, a show about making better decisions. I'm Maria Kanakova and I'm Nate Silver. Today we'll be talking about a few different things, starting with justice Sonya so Toe Mayor and whether or not she should retire.
Speaker 4: And we'll talk about degenerate sports betting in the world of professional athletes. A Major League Baseball player were suspended for life last week for betting on his own team's games.
Speaker 3: And talking about a different area of degeneracy. We're going to be giving you a little taste of the world of memestocks with the return of Roaring Kitty aka Keith gill get a little bit into what that means for the world of trading more broadly. So so Nate, There's been a lot of talk, and we've talked about the Supreme Court right now and what's going on with it. Something that we haven't talked about is the fact that one of the only liberal justices, Sonya so Tamayor, is reaching a point where she is getting older. She's seventy years old. She is not in great health, she has diabetes. She often travels with a physician. And we're nearing the end of the Biden and administration, and as you and I have discussed on previous episodes, we don't know if Biden is going to get re elected. We don't know if the Democrats are going to stay in power. So what does this mean for the Supreme Court? What does this mean for Justice? So to Mayor, should she be considering retiring right now while Biden can still definitely replace her.
Speaker 4: So she is sixty nine, she turns seventy eight later this month.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Sonya. I aged you and I and I apologize.
Speaker 4: That's what we call a newspeg in the business. It's almost her seventieth birthday. We're getting ahead of the news, and therefore that's why we're partly why we're doing this now, but also because we, as you said, Maria, maybe toward the end of Biden's we are toward the end of his first term in office, and maybe the end of any terms in office. If the polls are right. Donald Trump is a head right now, although it's close. If Biden does prevail, Democrats could also lose the Senate. There are Democratic held seats, for example, up in West Virginia and Montana. In West Virginia, Joe Manchin has retired, so that seat's like gone for sure. Montana, to a lesser extent, Ohio are tough hoold for Democrats, So even if Biden returns to the presidency, you might have an uncooperative Republican Senate. So you asked, should she consider retiring, and the answer she should not just consider. She should retire today. Go take one of these university president jobs. Everybody is quitting go be president of Yale or Harvard, or go, you know, go make lots of money selling a book, go under the World Series of Poker main event. I'm sure she's a very candy poker player, but she should absolutely retire if she actually cares about any of the values that she purports to care about, these kind of liberal, progressive values. Because she doesn't retire, then she very easily be replaced by another conservative justice, leading to a seven to two conservative majority.
Speaker 3: And that is that's going to be difficult to overcome. I mean, if we have a seven to two conservative majority, it could be. I mean, I don't know how many presidents is will need before the Supreme Court is more balanced.
Speaker 1: Could be.
Speaker 4: I mean, So it's it's not just that like the Supreme Court would increase our conserns would increase their majority. It's also that, like believe it or not, the Supreme Court agrees on more issues than you might think. But where that middle point falls is is important, right, the fact that it does fall with the Barrett or a Kavanaugh or on some issues, Justice Gorsic is a little bit heterodox on some issues versus like an Alito or something like that. Like that also has a material impact as far as how far they.
Speaker 1: Will go on certain issues.
Speaker 3: I completely agree with you. Yeah, And I think that, and I think that we should really look at the past to kind of guide Justice Sotomayor's decision right now, because I'm gonna I'm just gonna go ahead and say this, and fellow female liberals are going to get really really mad at me, but I am so fucking mad at RBG that, like, for me, her entire legacy is tainted, like the sheer hubris of not retiring when she could have been replaced and of being like, no, I'm going to live forever. I'm fucking RBG like, look at my legacy like I'm invincible, and she, like her legacy is Roe v. Wade being overturned. That's her legacy because if she had retired early, we would have had an entirely different court. And like I used to be like such a you know, such an avid RBG fan, and I'm not anymore because like, I think that with that one decision, she's single handedly set woman back much further than she ever advanced them. I said it. People are going to get mad at me, but I think that that is the truth and I am so pissed at her, like from beyond the grave that I just I can rant forever.
Speaker 4: No, I'm glad you said it. I mean, in the Silver Bulletin post I wrote about sort of mayor said that her retirement is a political IQ test, and that's you know, that's a little bit of invective. She's I'm sure a very smart woman. I'm not sure how smart. Some of the kind of liberal political observers are frankly right, because the excuses are dumb. Frankly just dumb. They'll say, well, you can't force a Latina justice to retire, Well, sure you can.
Speaker 1: There are lots of qualified.
Speaker 4: Latina associate justices and things like that could replace her. If you believe that's an important thing to do, right or if people say, oh, it's kind of like it's ableless to worry about her diabetes, well I'm sorry. If you write in the constitution that you have a lifetime appointment to something, which, by the way, I think is a bad idea.
Speaker 1: I think she'd be limited toward eighteen.
Speaker 4: Years or something like that. But if it's a lifetime appointment, absolutely it's a public's responsibility online to consider, like the health of the justices. It plays out strategically, but historically justices wait to time their retirements for partisan reasons, right they want to be replaced by the same party that appointed them in the first place. So that's not new.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Justice Kennedy, for example, who was more moderate, did so under Trump when he had some time to go. So look, maybe some of Mayor is not a believer in the polls that show Biden trailing, and.
Speaker 1: Again that is close.
Speaker 4: The issue is just as much, if not more, about the Senate in the long term, where in the Senate, North Dakota has as many senators as California despite having what it is, you know, one fortieth of the population or things like that. Currently in the Trumpian coalition, the GOP does better among rural voters, white rural voters in particular, and they are overrepresented by quite a lot in the Senate.
Speaker 1: So look, if the.
Speaker 4: GOP gets attacked together, they would have potentially a relatively durable advantage to the Senate. I do think I kind of once you go out more than five or ten years, it kind of becomes a fuzzy crystal ball. But the basic math is that, like you don't know, what's going to happen in terms of medium term political future. You're about to turn seventy years old, you have diabetes, like, and like, I don't know, Like, by the way, why is the ego involved here? Like it just kind of weirdly, it's weirdly stubborn. It makes me think less of people who seek out power, I suppose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I totally agree. And by the way, an important point that you're making that you didn't make explicit is that it matters not just who wins the presidency but what the majority is in the Senate. Because let's not forget the Garland disaster where Obama tried to appoint him and the Senate just literally blocked the hearings and Garland didn't even get a chance to be considered. And that's something that can happen.
Speaker 4: I mean, it reminds me a little bit of like, you know, sometimes the failure to make a change is the biggest risk, right, It's like, well, why would I disrupt the status quota when I have this job? You know, seventy years old is not that old for a woman who presumably has good health care, even if she has diabetes. But like, sometimes the status quo is the riskier is the riskier path?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: You know right now that she can be replaced by another liberal justice. Democrats in the Senate, even the Joe Manchins of the world, have been very loyal to Biden on judicial appointments. You don't know anything beyond what happens in November. And by the way, in terms of like pure political tactics to have a big fight of a Supreme Court, this is an issue where Democrats now are more charged up and talk about abortion rights and things like that. I'm sure whoever is nominated it would be subject to lots of abuse from Republican commentators. This would also be I think a good way to rile up democrats generate more enthusiasm, which is a bit flagging for Biden right now.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: People are like, well, you shouldn't think of politics in terms of expected value.
Speaker 1: It's should, yes, you should.
Speaker 3: By the way, everyone who says it's not a game, like did you look up? Did you see what the Senate tried to do? Right? They're trying to figure out how do I how do I game it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Like they are, This is gamesmanship. This is exactly what gamesmanship is to try to figure out how do I gain an edge, how do I use the rules to try to do what I want, even though the intention is not that right. I understand what the spirit of the Constitution is and I don't give a fuck. I'm just going to do like what I can within the rules so that we win. And I think that it's absolutely a game in that respect, and it brings out the types of people I've written before about kind of the difference between sportsmanship and gamesmanship, and the Republicans are definitely much more into gamesmanship, and the Democrats are trying to take the higher sportsmanlike road, and that ain't working out so well when the other people are are better gamesmen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: The White House has also not said anything about this, in part because they have a candidate who is eighty one years old, an Aldea. People are being too old for office is a big no no topic that they don't want to get into. But also, like some of it comes down to identity politics. I think it's fair to say I personally think if you kind of take progressive politics seriously, the notion that like having someone who represents the group, I think that's substantively smaller impact than like six three versus seven to two or down the line, who knows seven two verses eight one, or five to four versus six three or something like that. But this is why I don't really find people who are into politics. I don't really they're not by crowd, really right, because this is a this is such a no brainer.
Speaker 1: This is not close.
Speaker 4: Whereas we talked about Biden the other week, like by retiring it's kind of a really tough either way, that's really close. This is not close.
Speaker 1: Now, this is like absolute no brainer.
Speaker 3: Totally agree with you. And by the way, I learned the hard way, Like when you were saying I think a really important point is that you know, seeking the status quo kind of saying like, oh, like this is the this is the safer way to do it is oftentimes not safer.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I learned this the hard way when I started playing poker. That like, if you try to do nothing, that's also very much in action, right, that is, that is very much a choice, that is very much doing something, and it's doing something that's not optimal and you're not doing it for the right reasons. And that's what's happening right now. So like, get your ass in gear, actually look at the incentives, look at the future, and try to figure out. I think this is also really important what risks are worth it and what risks aren't because there is so much uncertainty here. We don't know what the percentages are because there is this uncertainty about you know, who's going to win the presidency, who is going to win the Senate? Is that risk worth it? And I think in this particular case, it's just a slam dunk. No, it absolutely is not.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Last week, Major League Baseball suspended San Diego Padres shortstop Tikipeda Marcano permanently for allegedly having bet on baseball games while a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates. It also suspended four other players, of who are now in the minor leagues for a year for betting on games not involving their teams. So there's been a lot of gambling scandal news coming out of baseball and other sports slightly of course, earlier this year, maybe the best player in the world, shohe Otane, his former interpreter and BFF.
Speaker 3: Potentially a potentially former BFF.
Speaker 4: TWA if I committed seventeen million dollars of wirefraud involving your account, Maria, would we still be friends?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Nate, I would forgive. You're in a heartbeat, because that would mean that I somehow had seventeen million dollars.
Speaker 1: There you go, if you you know, what's seventeen million?
Speaker 4: If you signed a fifty.
Speaker 3: Between friends, what's seventeen between? What's minus? Isn't it? But as you were saying, Mizahara clued guilty, right, he.
Speaker 4: Pled guilty, and Major League Baseball closed the investigation, which I know. I actually still a couple of questions about Otani's involvement that will communiately never hear anything about ever again. But yeah, So this is the first suspension for gambling at related reasons since Pete Rose, who also was alleged to have bet on his own team. Now, Marcano, from what I read, has not planned to appeal, at least not for right now. In fairness to him, there is a somewhat mitigating circumstance, which is that when he was making these bets, he was injured, not actively playing for the Pirates. But still, the theory of the case is that even if you're betting on your own team. You still have inside information that's valuable. Right if you know that a certain player is healthy and therefore likely to play, Right if you know that the team was up all night at the strip club, maybe you'd choose not to bet that game, for example. So, and this is like literally a rule posted in every Major League Baseball clubhouse. You bet on games involving your own team, you are suspended for life. It is one of the least ambuist rules in all of Baseball's rule book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that it's a rule that makes complete sense, right, because if you're betting on your own team or providing information, I mean that is like, that's a different kind of inside baseball, right, that is not the good kind. And I think that when we see suspensions like this, I think it's really important. As the ubiquity of sports betting goes up, as we have these apps everywhere, as it's possible to do all these crazy parlay bets, as it's possible to bet while events are actually going on, all of these new capabilities that haven't existed in the past, I think it's incredibly important to be strict about this. By the way, I also think it's kind of hilarious in a way. Hilarious might be the wrong word. But how bad Marcano still was. I mean, I think he won just over four percent.
Speaker 1: Well that's a little So this is.
Speaker 3: Something that there's spin involved here.
Speaker 4: I mean, so peason he's winning four percent of his bets is because he's beending multi leg parlays, right, see, but on the pirates to win, and you bet on five other teams to win, and therefore, you know, take like two to the fifth power if they're all fifty to fifty bets, and so so he's doing multi team parlays where you usually lose, but like when you win, you win a lot. So the four percent is kind of misleading. That might be the expected value in terms of how often he's supposed to win. There is one irony, though, which is that like he was apparently using one of the legal sports books that like tipped off major League Baseball. So yeah, these guys, will you know, squeal on you if you're a Major League Baseball player you decide to bet on games. They are they have incentives though, to be concerned about about action that could compromise their deal with the leagues. They have concerns about game integrity two. In some ways, I've been surprised there hasn't been even more of a backlash. But look, if you're a major League Baseball player, my advice to you is do not use like DraftKings or fan duel or a partner that's in bed with Major League Baseball. Right use some offshore illegal betting website. There's less likelihood of being detected.
Speaker 3: Like Epei Mezuhara did for seventeen million dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at least at least Epe gave himself a chance, right. Epe was smart enough to know you're not going to fucking bet on fan duel, then you're drawing dead.
Speaker 3: By the way it is, I think it's interesting to note when I was saying that it's it's crucial that people are being caught, that the four players who were suspended for a year, they all bet just a few hundred dollars, right like that was. They didn't make big bets, they made tiny bets, and they were still suspended. So I think that that's actually a really important hardline to draw that it doesn't have to be in the millions, it doesn't have to be in the hundreds of thousands. This was like one hundred bucks, two hundred bucks, you know, four hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and uh, you know, Marcano's bets were larger. The total some low six figures. But you know, I doubt that he is betting to make a profit, right. I mean, you take a bunch of competitive young men in any industry, there's a lot of DJM, as we would call it, a lot of degeneracy and things like poker. High six poker games are often played on the back of team planes and things like that.
Speaker 1: These people are.
Speaker 4: Around a lot of money all the time. The rookies are not making that much, but they're around people who are making lots and lots and lots of money.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: The one case where there really was some kind of expected value for the person making the bets was the NBA player John tay Porter, who was apparently had been dealt in somehow to individual player parlays where why people were betting on this obscure player named John tay Porter is hard to know, but he basically intentionally tanked the game, right. He would intentionally make up a fake injury, allegedly, he would intentionally like not hustle after rebounds, allegedly so that his betters would achieve the under on like how many points that John tay Porter would receive, and that was very suspicious. I mean, I think the NBA got lucky that that scandal broke at about the same time as the Otani scandal broke, because that actually affected directly affected game integrity, and that's like a kind of deeper level of hell, I think than what Marcano did.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you, and I'm really glad I was going to bring johntay Porter because I think that what is going on there is actually the bigger issue, because it's amazing that he was caught, and if you think about the fact that I think the much bigger issue isn't players like betting themselves because they'll get caught right, like you'll figure it out, But players giving other betters inside information and then actually affecting outcomes when they're in the games. That's much more difficult to police, especially if you're smart about it. Right, all of a sudden, if you see millions on this obscure player who's then pulling off some crazy shit that you know that you are thinking of, like what in the world that's a red flag? But imagine you're smarter about it, right, Imagine you're actually someone who kind is a better cheater, who kind of stays under the radar, who manages to do it a little bit less blatantly, less often fakes you know, doesn't fake injuries quite as much, doesn't throw games in quite as obvious a way, but does it anyway. And that to me is the much bigger and much scarier issue, because that can really affect game integrity, It can affect the entire kind of gaming community because it just goes against the heart of why people play games, why people watch games, you know, what this is all about. And I think that that's the much bigger thing we should be thinking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, betting on individual accomplishments raises this risk a lot, Like you should not be taking that much action on anything involving John tay Porter, right, Like, who the fuck is going to bet that unless they have some type of inside angle. I mean, I wasn't like a Summer League game in Las Vegas about a year ago. Now Summer League coincides with the end of the World Series of Poker and watching the game and see like some team executive two rows in front of me and giant font on his cell phone is typing about how the New York Mexican a trade for og Ananobi which didn't happen then but did actually happen several months later. If I having not really it's not really inside information, I mean a public area of a stadium, right, But like information has a way of slipping out about injuries, about fatigue, you know, about like I know, you know, some people will hang around tennis tournaments, for example, and see which player is having like a cheating scandal with his girlfriend or or looks like they're coming in hungover and things like that. You know, information has.
Speaker 1: A way of getting out.
Speaker 4: And to limit your liability by focusing on more major and more robust wagering categories would be prudent, but you know, but look, it's a money grab. The long term sustainability of any of this, I think is not as assumed as some of the big sports betting companies would would right in their stock market and their ten k's and things like that. So but you know, at the very least they are smart enough to partner with the leagues when they detect activity that underminess gain and integrity, to at least tip them off to snitch on their customers.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely, And I think we're not just talking about US sports betting, US sportsbook. This is happening in sports all over the world, and some of the worst are actually in Europe and in places where there are lots of athletes who are not paid very well. And a lot of times they're young, right, they're teenagers. They're still developing their sense of self, their sense of kind of right and wrong and kind of gray areas and long term consequences isn't fully developed. Because, by the way, if you're like a seventeen year old guy, your prefrontal cortex ain't fully developed yet. Your ability to kind of think through long term decisions isn't fully developed. And if someone says, do you want to make you know, a quick ten grand? A quick you know quick this, You're like, okay, you know, this might not be a bad idea. All I have to do is, you know, if I'm a tennis player, I just serve a little bit off right, just one time. That's all it takes. I just lose one point. What's one point? You know? I just do this a few times, and all of a sudden I have money and you don't think, wait, if I'm caught, there goes my career and there goes kind of any chance I have of all these future earnings. You just don't make that math. You're thinking much more in the moment. You're thinking much more immediate gratification as opposed to kind of long term expected value. And I think that that is something that people just need to be aware of, need to be aware who the vulnerable players are. And I think that teams need to guard against that, need to train against that, need to kind of talk to them and explicitly say what the long term consequences are and remind them of it. I know you said in baseball, you know it can't be more explicit, but still like have more reminders, constantly, have these reminders of like this is what you don't want to do or else it's going to be bad.
Speaker 4: But in an environment that like encourages gambling, where there's like draft kings or fan duel or caesars ads on the outfield wall and poker games in the team plane, you're and never going to have some of this with with rich young men and not fully formed pre prefrontal cortexes.
Speaker 3: What is it called yep prefrontal cortex. Okay, yeah, yeah, no, I think that's I think that's exactly right. And if we if we want to give kind of a nod to the next layer, which is the Musuhara of it, all right, that you have you have also these situations where even if someone like Otani isn't cheating directly, isn't isn't sports betting, there are incentives for people close to these individuals to try to take advantage.
Speaker 4: Major League Baseball seem pretty excited about being able to wrap up that investigation. I mean, there's still a question about why didn't Otani notice seventeen million dollars missing from his account?
Speaker 1: Like, that's a pretty fucking good question. I think it is.
Speaker 3: It is, and we don't know, right, and but I think that it's important to just throw those questions out there because it is. Even though as someone who has seen a lot of victims of con artists, I'm very sympathetic to Otani if we look at it as a typical con situation that he was potentially conned my Musahara, you know, charmed by him. That Musahara is the one who had access to his bank accounts, got all the alerts et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Like you can make excuses up to a point, but as you say, seventeen million dollars is a big number for anyone, and so you have to then ask, like was he knowingly looking the other way? Was he involved? Like what was going on? And I think these are questions that should be asked, but that won't be asked because the incentives are completely misaligned here because nobody wants Otani to be involved because he's the star, and we want the star to keep being an untarnished star, and we want this other guy to take the fall. And I do I do agree with you though that there are still some question marks, and unfortunately, I think that all we can do is speculate. We're never going to know, But I want to be careful and not to just say, oh, like this is a problem of modern sports books, because like, let's not forget you know, the Chicago Black Sox, like shit like this has been going on in sports for a very very long time before fan dual or DraftKings or any of these things, and so these are kind of these are problems and deep kind of issues of humanity that I think are never going to quite go away no matter what the regulations say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, there are two categories. One is there may be cases where it is in your financial interest to throw a game, right, one preventative measure is just paying everybody really well, including the umpires by the way, where it's kind of on the surface irrational for you to gamble at that point, although sometimes people gamble for irrational reasons. For me, one thing you always remind me of is that like most con artists are not motivated strictly by money.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely true. Something I also remind you of, Nate, is that even though most con artists are not motivated by money, most people are not con artists. And so I think that that's a more hopeful way to end this segment. That most athletes are also, you know, not degenerate gamblers, not con artists, and going to be in the sport for the right reason. They want to excel, they want to do well, they don't want to throw the game. We'll be back in a minute. So recently we've seen a resurgence of a stock that we haven't heard talked about for a few years now, game Stop because Roaring Kitty aka Keith Gill is back. And for those of you who followed the game Stop short squeeze several years ago, Roaring Kitty was kind of the big force that had game Stop just go on an unprecedented run and put some very famous hedge funds out of business and ended up, you know, having this just insane impact on the markets. And then Keith Gill Roaring Kitty went silent, and a few weeks ago, all of a sudden, for the first time, this dormant account started posting memes and what happened. Game Stop is back, Baby. The stock just went through the roof once again, and Roaring Kitty has since made more posts and shown his own holdings, including over one hundred million in game Stop stock. And the markets are reacting, and game Stop is reacting, the SEC is reacting, lots of players are reacting to this and trying to figure out what's going on. Is it legal? Kind of what are the repercussions of this? Nate, is this something that you've been following?
Speaker 4: I wrote about GameStop a little bit in my book from the standpoint of game theory. Actually, so, Maria, maybe we should actually talk about some of the game theory behind shit coins and meme stocks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a great idea, Nate, because I do think that that's central to this conversation.
Speaker 4: And the meming part of it me is actually very central to how the game theory works, believe it or not. Like to simplify a bit, typically, what you have is, let's say you have like an overvalued asset. In principle, people who own that asset could sort of literally conspire or collude to keep the asset at an artificial value. As long as nobody sells, right, then it maintains at least nominally its value, or maybe it keeps going up if everyone is being like total hold on for dear life and wants to kind of boost the asset further. So the problem with that is that like you have, in game theory terms, a prisoner's dilemma where every party.
Speaker 1: Has a strong incentive to defect.
Speaker 4: Right if game Stop is priced at fifty dollars when the fundamentals price should be two dollars or something like that, a share, you really have a strong incentive to get out while you can and take your profits. That could trigger a collapse in the share price. However, due to the power of means a sort of coordination is possible in the prisoner's dilemma. This is what happens when Maria, let's say you and I commit a crime and we're in separate jail, says, I don't know what's the most likely crime we were to commit.
Speaker 3: I don't want to speculate on this night. You and I are complete. Maybe we're not going any crimes ever, So let's.
Speaker 4: Say we kidnapped Justice sonya sort of mayor okay, okay, that would be a pretty serious crimes. But let's say the government is having trouble proving it, and therefore we are in separate prison cells, and the government says, well, you can confess to the crime and get a lower sentence, or you can remain silent, and we'll see what happens. Right now, if neither of us were to confess the way this works, we would kind of get like a slap on the risk because the government can't really prove its case. But the game theory is such that not being able to coordinate on our strategy, we both wind up stitching on one another and wind up getting a worse sentence as a result. It's kind of the very simplified, podcast friendly version of the prisoner's dilemma if we could coordinate though. I went to a Prediction markets conference this weekend in California where a guy had a T shirt on saying I cooperate in the Prisoner's dilemma, meaning that if we can single to one another, that we are cooperating and this is great. Yeah, this is what happens in situations like the internet. Right, if you're like, we're all of this together against a stupid hedge fund, against Wall Street and inherently a stock like AMC Theaters or game Stop is like, it's kind of a joke, right, These are like kind of Blockbuster video dinosaur companies.
Speaker 1: It's kind of funny.
Speaker 4: And the fact that like that through Matt Levine, the economics writer for Bloomberg, calls it the meme theory of value. You are kind of literally creating something out of nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I think that we have some bigger questions here though, that are like much bigger than Roaring Kitty and is more about like the roaring kitties of the world. Right, so this you know, what happened in twenty twenty one, totally unprecedented. What's happening right now shows that this is a thing that might actually not be so one off, right, It might actually be repeating, and we might be in a position where kind of meme stocks, shit coins, these types of things really do have an impact on the broader financial markets that we see these degrees of irrationality or is it irrational that are playing out in the broader stock market, where people in kind of the traditional market analysis are going to have to look at this differently and try to figure out has the world changed? Do we need to change how we think about this? You know, do we need to change where we think the dumb money is or how it operates, or whether it's actually dumb? And I think that these are really important questions, especially as crypto becomes a much bigger world and memes are the universal language. In some ways, these are things that just did not exist in the stock market or in the financial markets in the past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, it's a little bit of a blow to kind of efficient market hypothesis. Clearly, stocks like AMC or GameStop are unmorried from any notion of kind of the fundamental values. Although with that said, like a lot of things are kind of in the eye of a beholder.
Speaker 1: You know why.
Speaker 4: Everyone thinks that, like a Picasso or a or a Keith Herring or whatever else. You know, why are those works of our valuable? I mean, often I think they do have esthetic value, but it's inherently kind of subjective. It speaks to, I think the kind of maybe inherent unpredictability of the modern world. It speaks a little bit to like the way that these kind of faceless, leaderless internet mobs, because royn Kitty is not like.
Speaker 1: Using explicit instructions.
Speaker 4: He's just kind of communicating through through memes and vibes and people kind of infer what he's saying, and it kind of starts to chain a momentum that kind of can sustain itself for some period of time. And can you time it well enough that you kind.
Speaker 1: Of get out before the bubble inevitably bursts?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And is this something that is going to be replicable? Right? I think that I think that that's another question because I think other people have tried to be Roaring Kitty and have failed. But I do think that, you know, there is irrationality in the stock markets in general, and always has been one of my favorite quotes from Daniel Konneman, who won the Nobel Prize in Economics for his work on kind of biases and irrationality. He consulted for a bunch of hedge funds and he came to the conclusion that basically traders were gambling. They were not playing poker. And he said that poker players are you know, much more, much more rational and can actually, you know, you can figure out who the winning players are, where the edge is, et cetera. Gambling. If you're just gambling in a casino, you can't. And he said, what you guys are doing is gambling. And no one listened to him, and they thought that he was, you know, just full of it, and so they didn't take any of his recommendations to heart. And but I think that that's a really kind of important insight that this is not necessarily counter to how a lot of decision making in the stock markets has worked in the past. It's just a new element, a new world, and kind of putting some of the stuff on steroids, right, blowing it up in a way that it hasn't been blown up before, and potentially kind of making that exponentially more powerful.
Speaker 4: Maria, I'm not I'm not one to like dispute too much the late Daniel Conneman.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, that's why that's why I consulted, right, Okay, that's why I couched my views with Danny Connoman, right, because I know that you can disagree with me, but he's he's harder to disagree with. Please continue.
Speaker 4: I don't know, like I, when you have like the practice of like actual traders betting millions of dollars versus academics, even academics as smart as Daniel Conneman, I'm not sure I take the academic side. I think it's really easy to like come to some theoical conclusion when you don't have skin in the game that might not be robust necessarily. I talked to a guy named John Coates for my book, who is a former trader turned neuroscientists, and he actually thought when he was working on desks at Wall Street that the traders didn't take enough risk. It's hard to get people to be properly, properly risk adjusted until they kind of had a winning streak. Then they got all this testosteron anotherchemicals run around the brain and come like feral animals and go kind of crazy, right, And that's kind of what can cause bubbles. But yeah, look, I mean because there's kind of two forms of efficient market hypothesis, right. There's kind of like the hard form that, yes, stocks actually do represent a probabilistic discounted projection of future corporate earnings, Like that's clearly not true when it comes to something like game stop. The softer form is just that, Okay, you think you can beat the market, go ahead and try. You might understand that like, yes, gamestopers over valued, but good luck in trying to time exactly kind of win that bubble bursts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that the bigger point here when you said that anyone can try, And something that I think Conoman was trying to get at is that, of course there are traders and there are certain investors who can beat the markets, right, there are people who are very good at this, who kind of understand, who analyze well, who have the right data, right approach, whatever it is. But that's not true for the majority. But if you talk to anyone individual, they always think that they're the ones who are who are actually more rational and can beat the markets and are making better decisions. And I think that that's just an overall human flaw.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, if ten percent of people in the world are the truly rational ones, there's no guarantee that you're in the ten percent. The correlation, like self perception and reality is probably probably fairly discordant sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that that's just something that's very important to remember, whether you're a roaring kitty, whether you're one of the portfolio managers who is on the other side and short game stop, or whether you're someone who's just an outside observer thinking how do I get in on this in the future and make a killing. You and I have to totally switched positions this week, Knate, because last week when we were recording, I was in New Haven about to go to Ireland and you were deep in the World Series. And now I am finally back in Vegas and you are back in New York City, so we have swapped. And unfortunately I'm not making a deep run. I've played exactly one event since I've been back and I busted. So that didn't that didn't go according to plan, and I'll play again today. But you managed to go deep in a second event that was not the event that we were talking about, So congratulations.
Speaker 4: Thank you, although it ended in a very disappointing way. This was that five thousand dollars in a limit hold them event number sixteen.
Speaker 3: That's a big deal name.
Speaker 4: I finished in eighteenth place out of eight hundred and something runners.
Speaker 3: However, congratulations, thank you, Maria.
Speaker 4: I still am mildly heartbroken about it because.
Speaker 3: You wont dolences congratulate.
Speaker 4: Adolence is like the most common poker emotion basically, so I kind of lost on a bad beat, which I'm not gonna dwell on. I saw your new substack post Marie about like players complaining about bad beats. But basically I had pocket fives against jack ten offsuit on a board of jack ten five, So I had a set. My opponent had the kind of next best time that isn't a set, which is jack ten for two pair. Unfortunately, a jacket on the turn, and so this dude, by the way, won the fucking event. I think I deserved like half his prize pool.
Speaker 1: Basically, it was an.
Speaker 3: Awesome Nate, by the way, if it worked that way, that would be a great role.
Speaker 4: You like tag the chips that you have equity in. I'm not complaining about this past.
Speaker 3: Year, Yes, you are just just acknowledged that you're complaining about the bad beat and move on.
Speaker 4: We cover important news the worlds. There is a poker and part of the news is that a player who had a lot of chips was eliminated in eighteenth place, you know, conveying the news, all right, hows my reporting suggests player got very lucky at several earlier points in this tournament. For example, this player had pocket queens all against all against aces and and the queen's won. This player had pocket tens almost all all in against pocket kings and the tens one for example.
Speaker 3: So player mister Nathaniel Silver got got ridiculously lucky to even get to the point where his set could be cracked. All right, So so let's reframe that as god beats are good now, but you did you did bust in unfortunate circumstances.
Speaker 4: Uh, Maria, what about what about Europe? How's the series gone for you?
Speaker 1: So far?
Speaker 3: My update sucks?
Speaker 4: Oh no? Are you are you over? I?
Speaker 3: Well no, my first event I won the ten k bounties, so it's pretty good. Yeah, so together, but otherwise zero cashes.
Speaker 4: It's the line between successes and is soaked in in poker, by the way, because like the first week into it, I had like one mini cash out of and like, no, it's like, oh, I'm having a really great world series. You know, it's all pretty fucking arbitrary, and it all it all. I mean, it doesn't necessarily even out. It's like the Gambler's fallacy. But like over long rain.
Speaker 3: Thanks for reading my substeck Natee.
Speaker 4: Read Maria subsec she needs revenue now to make up for her poker losses.
Speaker 3: Folks, Yes, because the my update sucks is because the one event I played was a twenty five thousand dollars by an event and I did not cash in it. So I went from being flat for the World Series to being down twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Maybe if you concentrated more on the poker or not your newsletter, Maria, you wouldn't have busted out.
Speaker 3: But I feel like I own it, owe it to my fans, and my newsletter is about all the things I did wrong or other people did wrong, so that I played better, And today is the day we change all of that so that next week when we're recording, we can talk about my deep run. How's that for optimism. It's a deal, all right, let's do it. That's it for today. We have already been getting some listener questions, which is amazing. Please keep them coming. We want to hear from you, and we will be addressing some of the questions in segments on our podcast going forward. We even have an email address for you to use. Now it's just Risky Business one word at pushkin dot fm.
Speaker 4: And don't forget to rate and review the show. We will not tell you which day and the gift, but you can probably infer which ones we like more.
Speaker 3: Risky Business is hosted by me Maria Kanakova and me Mate Silver. The show is a co production of Pushkin Industries and iHeartMedia. This episode was produced by Isabelle Carter. Our associate producer is Gabriel Hunter Chang. Our executive producer is Jacob Goldstein.
Speaker 4: And if you want to listen to an ad free version, signed up for Pushkin Plus for six thirty nine a month. You get access to ad free listening. Thanks for tuning in.