Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. You're listening to Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Masser and Tim Stenovek on Bloomberg Radio. Well, Alphabet Shares, the parent company of Google, hitting a new all time high today. You'll remember that last month the company reported Google Cloud revenue and operating income topped analysts projections. Our own Bloomberg Intelligence is Mandeep sing writing after earnings that Google's increase capex you buy ten billion dollars for the full year suggests cloud segment growth is likely to remain above thirty percent through the second half of the year. We've got with us a man Deep Singh's Global head of Technology Research at Bloomberg Intelligence, also joining us Yasmin Ahmed, Managing Director of Data Cloud at Google Cloud. Both of them join us here in the Bloomberg Interactive Broker Studio. I should note Yasmin will be featured on an upcoming episode of the Tech Disruptors podcast with man Deep Seing. Be sure to check that out where you get your podcasts. I want to actually start with you, Man Deep, and just set the scene for us a little bit about why you want to speak to someone like Yasmine on the podcast. I mean, look, she's sitting right here by the way she is and so she can hear you.
Speaker 2: I thank you for the shout out on the tech Test Disruptors episode. Look, Google Cloud, I mean, if it was a separate company, you know, fifty billion dollar rund rate segment growing at over thirty percent, just think about it, they could exceed you know, one hundred billion dollars in revenue over the next two three years. So clearly there is a lot of exciting things that are going on. And talking to Yasmin, it was pretty obvious that, you know, they have a lot of products at the database level that are doing very well when it comes to AI agents and just how companies are looking at deploying generative AI.
Speaker 1: So let's go right there. Yeah, I mean, come on in to the conversation and talk a little bit about what Mandeep was saying when it comes to the AI agents and how they're utilizing Google Cloud right now.
Speaker 3: So AI agents are transforming for our customers their business as they deploy. Now, these highly sophisticated agents that can optimize entire supply chains, that can transform how customer experience looks. If you take Wayfair for example, they're doing visual search, so as a customer, you can upload a picture. That picture is used to find similar products in the catalog and bring those back. So Wayfair are seeing a fifteen percent improvement in conversion from that kind of visual search. That's why you see customers looking at how can we deploy more of these agents and new AI apps across the enterprise. So how has Jenny I also impacting the work for data scientists and data developers On that end, we see huge impact. I'll actually go back to my experience when I first came out of university. I was a software engineer and I got given all of the mundane tasks refactoring the TECHTA, writing code, lambs, code tests, and it felt like a penance you had to pay. Well, with code agents and data engineering agents and data science agents, we can take all of that mundane task away and allow developers, data scientists, data engineers to actually focus on solving business problems. In fact, Honeywell have said the use of these coding agents from Google have enabled their developers to operate seventy percent faster, so huge amounts of efficiency gain, but also just an elevated role.
Speaker 2: For these humans, So yes, Ben, can I jump in there? So what do you think customers are replacing here? Given you know, I mean all these sounds great, but if you're an enterprise, you have to find budgets to you know, deploy all this at scale, and generative AI, as we know, is quite expensive. So what is it that they are displacing to invest in generative AI?
Speaker 3: I think generatively I is not just about augmenting now new technology and bolting on more costs. In fact, the most transformative use cases actually get to the heart of a business and rewire the way work gets done. So if we look at some of our customers and use cases. For example, Optis, they are Australia's second largest tech telecommunications company. They've now deployed a networking agent that is actually scanning all of the network signals, identifying potential issues in the future, and creating service now tickets three weeks ahead of a network issue actually happening. This is rewiring how an organization works and it helps them avoid future cost future complexity that they would have to deal with.
Speaker 2: So you are convinced on the ROI of this, Jenny, I spend that we debate every day whether there is enough.
Speaker 1: This is the question we always ask you about.
Speaker 2: Right, because she interfaces with the customers day in and day out. Do you convince on that.
Speaker 3: I am convinced because I heard the stories from our customers. But also recently we published a blog six hundred plus use cases from our customer ecosystem tangible use cases delivering ROI and value. However, I also recognize many organizations are super anxious. There's a lot of anxiety around the spend of on Jenny I about how to get to that ROI. The customers I see succeeding and moving the fastest are those that are getting out into pilots and trying things out, finding the low hanging fruit, and then building on topic.
Speaker 2: Agents are not hallucinating for the customers that you have deployed.
Speaker 3: Well, Hallucination a huge concern for CIOs as they deploy this technology. But this is one of the core challenges we recognize two years so go at Google. So when we built AI into our data cloud, that's actually one of the first challenges we set out to solve. Is AI must be grounded in business context and business data, i e. If it can't find the answer from the business data it can't hallucinate, It actually needs to ask you a question back and disambiguing. So solving for trust and AI has been a core part of the data and a cloud strategy.
Speaker 1: You mentioned anxiety around hallucinations, but there's also anxiety around job displacement as a result of this technology. I hosted a dinner in Atlanta at an event that we did recently, Bloomberg Business Value of AI Event, and by far the topic that dominated the conversation was like, what is the labor landscape going to look like in the coming years as these agents displace workers even more so than they have now, how do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Being part of Google, we're one hundred and eighty thousand calls leagues across the globe, we actually get to see those dynamics playing out. So on one hand, we have engineers. Even at Google, we're seeing thirty to forty percent of our code now being written by Gemini.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the entry level coders aren't needed anymore.
Speaker 3: So we don't need to hire as many developers as we potentially historically had to do to ramp up to where the business is growing. However, on the other hand, AI has a transformational impact on business outcomes. So IHD the Hotels Group, they're actually hiring developers to build the next generation of conversational booking experiences where consumers can come and chat and book experience holiday experiences direct. So I think this is what I see this as a job's shifting, where skills are shifting, the types of roles are potentially shifting. It's a recalibration across the enterprise.
Speaker 1: I think recalibration is certainly fair to say Yasmin Ahma, Managing Director Data Cloud at Google Cloud, Mandeep Singh, Global Head of Technology Research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Both are here in the Bloomberg Interactive Broker's studio. That just a taste of what is to come on the Tech Disruptors podcast with Mandeep Singh. For more insights from Mandy and the entire Bloomberg Intelligence team, check out the Tech Disruptors podcast. It features conversations with thought leaders and management teams on disruptive trends in the tech world. It covers everything from AI to EVS, to VR and beyond. You can find it on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere you get your podcast