Speaker 1: This podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newarth, and today we're joined by Steven Rinello, Brody Henderson, Ryan Callahan, Randall Williams Hayden, Samic, Bill Vander Hayden and Derek Wolf. And this is a very special welcome to our YouTube audience. This is officially the first episode of Meet Eater Trivia that you can watch now. Derek, this is your first time on the show. How do you feel about your chances of Meat Eatter Trivia?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm, like I said before, I'm not gonna go into something thinking I'm not gonna win.
Speaker 1: So, okay, everybody here is in trouble. You're confident, very confident.
Speaker 4: You're throwing a bone.
Speaker 3: I might go down in flames, but if I'm gonna go down, it's gonna be big time.
Speaker 2: We're gonna throw a bone. Steve, tell us about this lacrosse helmet on your head?
Speaker 4: Is that what it is? DD? Someone gave this to me?
Speaker 2: Uh huh, who gave it to you?
Speaker 4: My buddy Brad Wolf gave it to me.
Speaker 2: Don't ask me that, Okay, Rude, Derek, what kind of helmet is that? Is this like a revolution?
Speaker 1: What are done? That's old? Silver is like, I don't even know what the column anymore. It's a shut.
Speaker 2: Okay, what position do you think Steve would play?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Punter, Yeah, play for a long time. That's right.
Speaker 4: You don't get messed up.
Speaker 1: You don't get hit. It's a penalty to even touch you.
Speaker 2: It's perfect now if you're not familiar, this is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and for the stat of the week. This week we're looking at Bill's performance from the last time he was on the show. Bill was here for episode three sixty five, which Steve won with eight correct answers. In that round of trivia, Bill got sixth place with two correct answers, but he missed the bone that I threw him about the third most popular broadhead size, Bill, does that question still haunt.
Speaker 6: You a little bit?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 7: The eighty five grain is still the more popular over one fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that.
Speaker 4: Go because crossbows.
Speaker 2: No, I think youth and women eighty five is a more positive.
Speaker 4: Point Bill's outfit. You know Bill Bill works.
Speaker 2: He co founder right of iron Will Broadheads. You can hear him talk about some of the physics of Broadheads on our last episode that came out on Monday? Did that? Did that tidbit about eighty five? Grain be in the third most popular? They didn't change anything for iron Will? Right, you're not now selling eighty five, are you?
Speaker 7: No, we still don't make eighty five. I think one hundred is very close, you know, practically fifteen and right, So, no, we still make one five on up to.
Speaker 4: Like two fifty.
Speaker 2: No eighty five though, yet no eighty five. Now here's our zero percenter question of the week, which tests out much knowledge players have retained from previous games. This question was from episode two eighty seven. The topic was gear, and nobody got it right. If you know the answer, you can just shout it out. What do you call the notches in the back of a knife?
Speaker 4: Blade? Jumping? Jumping? Jumping?
Speaker 2: Bill? Now, how did you know that that? The answer was jumping?
Speaker 4: I designed knives.
Speaker 2: Also, I've noticed one of your knives has two different sets of jumping, one that's like close to the handle and one that's in the middle of the blade. What was the decision making there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, one is for the thumb if you're holding it like and I normally would, but yeah, some people also like to put their finger up along the back of the spine all the way towards the tip for guiding, you know, fine cuts. So that's the reason for the second set of jumping out near the tip.
Speaker 2: When you look at a knife that like say a big Rambo blade that a gas station is selling, and you see the jumping in there, can you tell when someone is like, yeah, they had no idea what they were doing when they put the jumping in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Sometimes it's just kind of to look cool and it's randomly placed. But yeah, I think want to put it where there's it helps your grip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has a real purpose, but most folks don't realize that there's some housekeeping to get to. In a previous game of trivia, we learned that Republicans are far more likely than Democrats to order a medium rare steak.
Speaker 4: While the Democrats challenged on that real bad the other day, what did.
Speaker 2: You get challenged about that little factoid about how how they ordered their steak.
Speaker 6: Well, he was like it was in the podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was incredulous.
Speaker 2: It was a stat. Now here we go, Uh, Democrats are far more likely than Republicans to order a well done steak. Steve followed this up by wondering aloud which political party is more likely to believe in ghosts? Well, I found that answer in a twenty nine I can tell you Hugov survey of thirteen hundred Americans before I reveal the results, Steve, do you have any more predictions?
Speaker 4: Yes, Lefties are way more likely to believe in ghosts.
Speaker 2: Okay, what does the rest of the room think? Other folks have thoughts on this?
Speaker 4: Of course in America?
Speaker 2: Of course in America. This was survey in twenty nineteen of thirteen hundred Americans.
Speaker 4: Come.
Speaker 2: Here are the results from that survey. Eight percent of Democrats believe in vampires compared to fourteen percent of Republicans. So eight Clinton fourteen percent Republicans. Thirty thirty seven percent of Democrats said they believe in demons, compared to fifty four percent of Republicans. And for the answer to Steve's question, forty one percent of Democrats said they believe in ghosts, compared to forty six percent of Republicans.
Speaker 4: Jeez, pretty tight right now now I'm getting worried about my Other thing I always tell people is that lefties are way more likely to have gluten and top.
Speaker 2: We can look that up forty two. Yeah, some future housekeeping happen.
Speaker 5: We know from the podcast, your podcast that the most ordered steak in America is medium rare.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: So when we say Democrats are far more likely to get a well done steak, what is the percentage.
Speaker 4: It must be that that's who's buying them.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't remember. Now, it was like thirty percent versus twenty one percent of Democrats. Thirty percent of them would order a stake well done twenty one percent. I think we Republicans that after we visit.
Speaker 4: That dude, this should be a whole damn show.
Speaker 5: When you know, if we have a presidential election, it's always like fifty to fifty one percent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a mandate, right, I'm like, well, no, that'd one hundred and one percent. That'd be like, that'd be like the elections. That'd be like the election. According to Trump right, one hundred one mystery votes. But yeah, a mandate is a percent, a clean percent, you know either, it's a big win. Now, it's really funny to see you having.
Speaker 5: But I want to know exactly how many people are ordering well done steak killing it twice as we.
Speaker 1: Like to say.
Speaker 2: That's right. So, this study showed that Republicans are not percent more likely than Democrats to believe in the supernatural and paranormal. Here are a few other takeaways from that.
Speaker 4: Because I never I don't meet man, you know what? All right?
Speaker 2: Here are a few other takeaways from that study. Forty five percent of Americans believe ghosts can come back to specific places on Earth to haunt people. Thirty six percent of Americans said they've personally felt the presence of a spirit or ghost, and thirteen percent of Americans said they've directly communicated with the ghost of someone who has died.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Anybody in this room talk to a ghost? Brod are you raising your hand?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 8: But I talked to my FedEx lady about the ghosts in her house.
Speaker 2: Oh, how does that go?
Speaker 8: She has a haunted house. When she asked me if my house was haunted?
Speaker 2: Oh, really, what do you think her political leanings are.
Speaker 8: I don't think she pays attention much to those matters.
Speaker 6: How much you should have done independence?
Speaker 4: Oh man, you can't if you're a fed Ex driver, Dude, you can't be pulling out the peace houses giving them like your political spiel.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, she just wanted to know about ghosts if I had any ghosts, and I said, no, we don't have ghosts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was you're gonna want to getting her in trouble.
Speaker 5: So Livingston is a railroad town, right, so lots of bars, lots of brothels back in the day, and I've had many conversations with folks. There's a janitor in the uh Murray Hotel who uh does casual exorcisms.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, what's the difference.
Speaker 4: She he's just like the local guy to call.
Speaker 2: Okay, you don't want to get official and go down.
Speaker 5: To the Catholic church, so you get the janitor from the Murray.
Speaker 6: Host He's kind of like, hey, do you mind leaving?
Speaker 5: He told me those gals just don't want to leave.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wow, Livingston, that's why they were asking you.
Speaker 8: This was actually my old FedEx lady in Missoula.
Speaker 4: But trying to save the person's No.
Speaker 8: Incidentally, she claimed that her neighbor's house used to be a brothel and that this was just sort of spill over haunting from those spirits.
Speaker 2: Property lines, not enough room at the end. What was your relationship with your FedEx driver that you do that? I feel like this? How did this even come up?
Speaker 8: She literally asked me if I had ghosts in mind? She said, boy, it looks like an old house. Do you have ghosts in it?
Speaker 2: And you said?
Speaker 4: I said, to the.
Speaker 8: Best of my my knowledge, no, we can.
Speaker 6: We can move on.
Speaker 2: The Shelby index for today's round is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 4: How's that just tend to win everything?
Speaker 2: Demons suckers, that free hppy brain a little Steve.
Speaker 4: I gotta hear it like it's God coming, like a few my headphones, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Question one the topic is conservation. In this will be multiple choice, Which of these national parks does not have whitetail, deer, Everglades, mount Rainier, Grand Teeton, or bad Lands? Which of these national parks does not have whitetail deer, Everglades, mount Rainier, Grand Teton, or bad Lands. If you're watching on YouTube, you get to see the question in front of you again, the four choices, Everglades, mount Rainier, Grand Teton, bad Lands, Steve, are you confident in your answer?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Pretty much? Okay, not totally? Pretty much? What you got, Brody?
Speaker 6: Nothing yet due when we were on book here.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't believe how many people uh have suck at Brody memorabilia.
Speaker 9: They make it themselves, shirt stickers, all sorts of cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Did you sign a lot of things? Suck it Brody, Steve ran shirts. I so we even had to suck at Steve signed by Brody Henderson.
Speaker 6: That's a new thing.
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer? Which national park does not have white tailed deer, Everglades, mount Rainier, Grand Teton, Badlands, Brody? I think we're waiting on you.
Speaker 6: You are, I'm giving it a minute.
Speaker 2: You're gonna give us an opportunity for Randall to tell the more ghost stories. Okay, this is what I'm doing for It's everybody ready?
Speaker 4: Please be a game show called Dead or Alive?
Speaker 2: Not familiar?
Speaker 4: You just name a person. You gotta tell the dead or alive. So I think like a habit, and whether it's a right wing or left wing habit would be a great game show.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's good. The horseshoe is what we'll call it. It's everybody ready, Brody, what do we doing over there? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Bill sang mount Rainier, Wolf saying mount Rainier. Cal sang mount Rainier. Brody said, what's that say? Brody?
Speaker 4: Brody wrote something goofy?
Speaker 2: Grand teetngs out he's the only got it wrong. Randall and Hayden and Steve All saying mount Rainier. The correct answer is mount Rainier. Brody got it wrong. White tails are considered very common in the Everglades, common in the bad Lands, rare in the Grand Tetons, and non existent in Mount Rainier, the closest white tails to Mount Rainier.
Speaker 9: We've got one question right, and he's already talked.
Speaker 4: I'm not happy I got it right. I'm happy you got it wrong.
Speaker 2: It's it's important detail.
Speaker 5: You want to know my management plan? What he got If you draw a mule deer tag and Grand Teton National Park, he automatically get away tail tag either sex Oh, keep those little rats from expanding.
Speaker 2: You get what's what are the draw ods for getting a mule deer in the Grand Tee Tons National.
Speaker 5: If they're over the counter, you get a bonus tag.
Speaker 2: Shit, that's good.
Speaker 1: Fine. Now.
Speaker 2: The closest white tails of the Mount Rainier those that live about thirty miles east near Yakima, and some Colombian white tails that live about seventy miles southwest near the Oregon border. Question two. The topic is hunting. This is our Limenar question of the Week, which was won by Wentz Elbin for sending this great question. Wentz is going to get a book signed by Steve. Name one of the three states with the most bow hunters in twenty twenty one. Name one of the three states with the most bow hunters in twenty twenty one. This is my bone for Bill from Ironwill. Bill, I assume you're familiar with where a lot of your sales get shipped to you. You think that's going to help you with this question?
Speaker 7: Definitely gonna help me.
Speaker 2: One again, looking for one of the three states with the most bow hunters in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 9: Got an answer over there.
Speaker 10: M h.
Speaker 2: Room is quick to answer Randalls still thinking, Cal, still thinking, Derek, how do you feel bout your answer?
Speaker 1: A top three though, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: One of the top three, just name one.
Speaker 1: I think. I think I'm a.
Speaker 4: Doing that little deal where.
Speaker 2: You read, we can read down what you crossed out? How many? How many did you cross out?
Speaker 4: Steve? Well, I haven't written the one I'm going to cross out yet, not even.
Speaker 2: Do that, Okay, but good guy, not even gonna do it. Cal, how are we doing over there?
Speaker 9: A lot of people Canada isn't one of the states?
Speaker 4: Cal, I'm ready?
Speaker 2: Is everybody? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Bill saying Pennsylvania saying Pennsylvania. Cal sang Alabama, Brody sang Texas, Randalls saying Texas, Hayden saying Kansas, Steve saying Pennsylvania right, Who's not right?
Speaker 4: Hayden? And Cal.
Speaker 2: The top three states are Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan. The room did very well. Alabama to Texas.
Speaker 4: Texas were not to.
Speaker 6: Brutal start.
Speaker 2: This is according to a report published by the Archery Trade Association. Pennsylvania is first in the country at three hundred and thirty one thousand, followed by Wisconsin at three hundred seven thousand and Michigan at three hundred four thousand. Those three states combined for over twenty five percent of the entire nation's bowhunting population. Just missing the top three were New York, Missouri, and Illinois. No bill, does that follow the trend you'd expect Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan.
Speaker 4: It does. But I also read that report so as.
Speaker 2: That's why that he didn't need to go.
Speaker 4: Into his order. He didn't need to go into his order back.
Speaker 5: I felt like season length would have a lot to do with it.
Speaker 4: I was just going by what state is usually in there for having I'll.
Speaker 9: Tell you what it has to do with this crossbows archery license. Sales like crossbows are legal, and so why why.
Speaker 2: Didn't you put on one of those answers?
Speaker 4: At this point, after having the wrong answer, he comes in and tell you how obvious the right answer was.
Speaker 9: Do you think my reasonings solid?
Speaker 4: Quiet?
Speaker 7: So, I think if you just went with total number of hunters, Texas would be way up.
Speaker 4: Now, well they do Texas dukes it out with Pennsylvania and Michigan. Are they are they clearly in the winter.
Speaker 2: Now, I think Texas has most licensing. I think question three the topic is cooking. According to Mississippi State University, bell peppers that are this color are the sweetest. According to Mississippi State University, bell peppers that are this color are the sweetest. Steve with a quick answer answer, Okay, Brody, do you have this one right? You think it's gonna get you on the board? Cal also with a quick answer, Cal, you know the answer? No, Okay again, looking for the color of bell pepper that is sweetest.
Speaker 5: I mean, in Montana, most stories you can only get green bell peppers.
Speaker 1: So you can't.
Speaker 4: You can't help himself.
Speaker 6: I don't have trouble.
Speaker 4: He has to start talking about.
Speaker 5: You're the only person who hasn't written down an answer, but.
Speaker 4: I'm waiting to change it based on what he says.
Speaker 2: The boards is every is everybody ready for? According to Mississippi State University, bell peppers that are this color are the sweetest.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Like mid question, here's one way to look at it.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, go ahead and reveal yours. We have Bill saying yellow, Wolf saying yellow cow sang Red, Brody saying red, Randall saying orange Hayden sang yellow, Steve saying yellow. The correct answer is red.
Speaker 6: Two people get it. Few folks, I disagree.
Speaker 2: Bell peppers become more sweet as they become bell peppers become more sweet as they become more ripe. That means that green bell peppers, which are the least ripe, are also the least sweet. After green, they turn yellow and then orange and then red. For this same reason, green bell peppers are also the cheapest because they can be grown the fastest the same pepper.
Speaker 1: It's just a.
Speaker 2: That's why red is the more expensive, and then orange and then yellow and then green.
Speaker 10: Orange.
Speaker 4: Just made that up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're I mean, you're in your garden. They change colors.
Speaker 4: How come when I buy like a green pepper and I don't take good care of it, it doesn't turn into a more expensive.
Speaker 2: It's not on the plant anymore. And that makes it Steve Brody.
Speaker 4: Bananas right, run out and run out and go pick a little green apple right now. Put it on your Connor. Watch you get real big red bananas turn from green to yellow and then brown.
Speaker 2: That's good, Steve Brodia, What what color do your bell peppers get? Harvested in the garden ready green, I do him green?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I'm just antsy, you know. I mean, it's like so I don't want to let something happen to him.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The longer you leave them out there, ye got a.
Speaker 4: Rotten spot, something ate a hole through it. Like when it's good to go, I'm gonna grab it.
Speaker 2: Question for the topic is fishing. This next great question comes to his via Adam B. If you have a question you think it's right for Meat Eat to Trivia, you can send it to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. Dolphinfish and dorado are nicknames for this saltwater fish. Dolphin fish and dorado are nicknames for this saltwater fish. The room is very confident.
Speaker 4: Step outside.
Speaker 2: What do you got? It's about this question? Yes, okay, dolphin fish and dorado our nickname.
Speaker 4: Make sure I got the right.
Speaker 2: Very thorough of you. A confident room, at least based on how quickly they came up with their answers. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have bill saying mahi mahi, wolf saying mahi mahi mahi. Every single person said mahi. They all got it right, the correct answer is mahi mahi? Well done? It's impressive for us.
Speaker 9: I got a question about your question, is mahi mahi not also a nickname?
Speaker 4: Well, you said I always wondered about it twice? Does for you?
Speaker 2: They were just I think the question would still say if I said, like, Mahi mahi and dorado are nicknames for this saltwater fish, then you'd say dolphin fish. Right, that's just weirdly And now in the I g f A Record books they call them dolphin.
Speaker 9: Fish, so that she should have said mahi and dorado are nickname for and would definitely.
Speaker 1: Got that wrong.
Speaker 2: The problem I was running, it seemed like mahi mahi was like where more official literature leaned, So we went with that.
Speaker 4: What do you got, Steve Man?
Speaker 1: When we're.
Speaker 4: A couple months ago, we were into Bahamas and we're down to Spearfish and on the way out to where we're going to go, these boys I was with Cameron kirk Connell and his mate Man, they would I mean a lot of people probably know this, but I just didn't realize how precise it was. They'll find a single frigatebird, not like a bunch of birds crashing down on bait. They'll find a single frigate bird.
Speaker 2: What is a frigatebird?
Speaker 4: They got that? They got that shape kind of like.
Speaker 2: He's drawing it for us.
Speaker 4: Oh man, not that.
Speaker 9: I mean I thought that was look like that, Okay. I thought that was a widely known thing, that those things follow billfish and stuff around.
Speaker 4: What you got for a score today.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, so, is that at the end of your story.
Speaker 6: I thought you'd know that.
Speaker 4: Listen and they would like, by the bird's demeanor, they know what that bird was doing, and it'd take that boat with the troll and tackle out and basically just try to cut that bird off. And you'd be like, come on, and it'd cut that bird off. Wam fish, Go find another one and cut them off. Whamp fish is amazing, man. One yeah, one bird. They're like, no, he's following one. I mean, how you know he's not doing something different? Like, I don't know, he just did.
Speaker 2: That's that obvious. The name mahi mahi comes from the Hawaiian language and means very strong. Despite their nicknames, they aren't relay to dolphins or golden dorado's. The world record mahi mahi weighed eighty seven pounds but the species often doesn't exceed thirty. Question five, the topic is public land. What federal agency has a blue goose on their signs? Again, this is question five. The topic is public land. What federal agency has a blue goose on their signs? Now, Brodie, when you got the red bell pepper question? Right, did you know it? Or you just guessing?
Speaker 6: Are you trying to distract me?
Speaker 2: Trying to distract it?
Speaker 4: You knew what that university had said.
Speaker 9: I've read like cooking books to be clear, like missus sus sweetest Again, I think this is a widely known thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so any if you google like sweet spell pepper, everybody says red bell pepper. But I put in there the Mississippi State University.
Speaker 4: He said he knew it. I don't think that he knew. I don't think that he knew that it was Mississippi State.
Speaker 9: Steve's gone from trivia and just comes back and just starts going.
Speaker 6: It just goes.
Speaker 2: It's been building up. He hasn't got to uh have this for a while. What federal agency has a blue goose on their signs? Heyden, you look confident? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: You're mistake in total befuddlement for confidence.
Speaker 8: You know, I feel like I have a decent chance.
Speaker 2: Okay, how's the rest of him doing? Brodi's still drinking. I have no idea, Brody, you could be out of the game if you don't get this.
Speaker 9: You guys just talking to me for five minutes while I was trying to answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, everyone, nobody look at Brody till until we reveal answers. Don't even acknowledge him. Leave that guy.
Speaker 6: Do we need to separate time? Like think it out at all?
Speaker 2: Cal? You have this one right.
Speaker 5: I know exactly where I've seen the science, and.
Speaker 4: I know I can tell you where on the road.
Speaker 5: I know, I do know, but I had to write my answer down real fast so I wasn't accused of cheating.
Speaker 2: What do you think of Brodie's answer that he's right?
Speaker 5: I'm trying not to look at it anything, Okay, but yeah, I think I buffed it.
Speaker 2: Whatever is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Bill saying b L M. Wolf saying fishing, game, Cal saying US Fish and Wildlife Service, Brody saying refuge system, Randall saying US Fish and Wildlife Service, Hayden saying Army Corps of Engineers. Steve saying, US Fish and Wildlife Service, we have a correct answer in the room. It's the National Wildlife Brody, got it right?
Speaker 8: Is that an agency?
Speaker 2: That is an agency.
Speaker 4: Service?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's fishing game, those service.
Speaker 1: It's all the same.
Speaker 2: Federal agency has a blue goose on their that's not a federal agency, US Fish and Wildlife Services.
Speaker 4: The agency, buddy, it is.
Speaker 2: The agency that like saying the d O, I is the federal agency because they're they're rolled up under them.
Speaker 4: Well, let's go way back. That is not an agency, is not?
Speaker 6: You better pull That was a great question.
Speaker 4: Not an agency. You better get another question out. Not an agency.
Speaker 2: I don't think I don't. I don't think you would.
Speaker 4: Show me your board. It's not an agency.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 9: That's like, that's like, that's like if you questions.
Speaker 4: Are, that's the the US it's the agency.
Speaker 8: It's like the answer was army and he said military base, Like, it's not the same.
Speaker 6: No, that's not the same at all.
Speaker 9: It would be like army rangers the system group.
Speaker 4: Point.
Speaker 2: But here's here's what Google says. The National Wildlife Refuge System is a system of protected areas of the United States system managed by the US Fish and Wildlife.
Speaker 6: Where do you find with blue goose.
Speaker 4: And the question?
Speaker 8: The question asked us to name an agency, and Brody did not name an agency.
Speaker 4: It's not an agency. I named an agency, the correct one.
Speaker 2: I will admit the question had a flaw. We're going to give it to the US Fish and Wildlife Service people as well as Brody, who is okay.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Fe I don't think Brody should get it.
Speaker 2: Who said us should get it right?
Speaker 6: Because I hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 1: Because fish fishing game is what is what that means?
Speaker 2: It's it's US Fish and Wildly Service.
Speaker 4: Going to service.
Speaker 11: I had not raise your hand. You will not be getting to play Steve and Randall and Cal and Brody.
Speaker 1: No. I feel like I should get a point for that.
Speaker 4: Listen, he did not name an agency.
Speaker 2: The blue goose has been used on refuge signs and exhibits since nineteen thirty six. That's when Politzer Prize winning cartoonist Ding Darling designed the symbol. He spent eighteen months as the chief of the Bureau of Biological Survey, which later became the US Fish and Wildlife service.
Speaker 4: Phil gar me this like, there you have it? What does there you have it? Where my kids like when one of them gets in mega trouble and the other one kind of looks like, I know how long?
Speaker 2: Browdy? Or excuse me, Phil, we are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 11: Yes, so we've got Hayden in last place with two points. It's a close game though between everyone coming up next, we've got Derek, Randall, Bill and Brody all with three points apiece, and then in first place all tied up are Callan Steve with four points.
Speaker 4: Anybody's game. It's the cameras that are freaking me.
Speaker 5: You have to say, if you want a good refresher as to why regulations are so darn complicated some places, go look through the Ding Darlang political cartoons when he was trying to get the duck stamp in place. It's entertaining and it's educational.
Speaker 2: One hundred years later, I cali back in the nineteen twenties and thirties, it still still rings true today. Question six, the topic is conservation. This next great question comes to his via Frederick Schaeffer. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eatter trivia. You can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. Name one of the three states with the most feral horses living on BLM Land. Name one of the three states with the most feral horses living on Blmland, and confidence Steve confident, Cal, Yeah, that.
Speaker 4: Was like that was like that was like the trivia equivalent of a mic drop.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got this one right. Steve did a board drop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was. I think you could have narrowed it down a little more.
Speaker 2: You'd like like top one or two as well, you'd like Okay, we'll see how the room does. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Bill saying Montana, Wolf saying Wyoming, Cal sang Nevada, Brody saying Nevada, Randall saying Nevada, Hayden saying South Dakota, Steve saying Nevada. The top three states are Nevada, Wyoming, and Oregon. The room did pretty well. Arizona's not in the top three.
Speaker 8: How many states have wild horses faraoh horses faraoh horses?
Speaker 2: I know ten, maybe something like that. I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: Well, no, because faral horse. Then you open up a real can of worms.
Speaker 2: You would call him something else.
Speaker 4: Well, there's the there's a difference, there's a management difference between a faral horse and a wild horse or burrow.
Speaker 5: This kind of goes back. You want to go back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a far horse would just be that if I had a horse get away and that horse was away, that would become a feral horse. Well, they're not protected under the Wild Horse and Burrow Protection Act.
Speaker 5: But what if you, as a Spanish conquista door had a bunch of horses get away.
Speaker 4: Those become wild Those would be wild horses and burrows under protection over under protection of the Wild Horse and Burrow Protection Act. But if my horse gets away, let's say more, let's the way I live in Hawaii. My horse gets away and it reaches finds other horses that got away, and those horses have offspring, and so you have wild born. Those aren't even wild horses. Those would be feral horses because they're not protected by the Wild Horse and Burrough Protection Act.
Speaker 2: Nevada has forty five thousand feral horses living on BLM L and that's followed by Wyoming with nine thousand and Oregon with five thousand. Just missing. The top three are California, Utah, and Colorado. These population estimates don't take into account the feral horses that are living on other forms of public land, private land, or reservations.
Speaker 11: Sorry, guys, really quick, and I get hands. If you got that last one right, that was trying to fix something, you.
Speaker 4: Know'd be a cool way to do questions. Man, what do you get should think about? Mm hmm is like pick a question that you know everybody's gonna have, Like the answer is gonna be in Nevada, okay, and then exclude the obvious one.
Speaker 2: Well, we've done that, you know we've but you can't do the obvious one. I'll give you an example we've done, like what shark is held responsible for the second most fatal attacks. We've done a broadhead question that was the most popular. Weights are one hundred gain, one hundred grain, one hundred and twenty five grain, and blank.
Speaker 4: Well, you're already using my idea.
Speaker 2: We've done it before. Steve's idea. Question seven, the topic is hunting. When Payton Manning broke this quarterbacks record for career passing yards, he sent Peyton a congratulatory video from his tree stand. This is a bone that I'm throwing to Derek Wolf. When Peyton Manning broke this quarterbacks record for career passing yards, he sent Peyton a congratulatory video from his tree stand. Derek, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I think so?
Speaker 2: Okay, you don't want to give any hints to our room. You could be one of the only ones who gets this one right.
Speaker 3: Really, quarterback that I like to kill quarterbacks?
Speaker 4: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? When Peyton Manning broke this quarterbacks record for career passing yards, he sent Peyton a congratulatory video from his tree stand. See how many quarterbacks do you think you could name? If you had to?
Speaker 4: It was Jim McMahon.
Speaker 12: Okay, everything for Steven quite a few.
Speaker 4: Actually, if it's the obvious one.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the obvious one is. Everybody turn your boards over, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Bill sang Farv saying Brett Farv, cow saying, Tom Brady, Brody saying Brett Farv, Randall saying Brett Farv. Hayden and Steve both saying Brett Farr.
Speaker 4: Dude, Now you don't hang out in tree stands, I can tell you that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the correct answer is Brett Farr.
Speaker 5: Brett Farv hangs out and peeler joints, Like, what is a joint?
Speaker 2: What's a peeler.
Speaker 5: Place where ladies dance and take off your clothes.
Speaker 4: Oh, I've never heard it called that before.
Speaker 2: That happened in Week ten of the twenty fifth teen season when the Chiefs beat the Broncos twenty nine to thirteen. Our guest was off the field started in that game and had two tackles. Phil played the clip where Farv congratulates Manning.
Speaker 10: Peyton, I'm in a treestand yeah, you've interrupted me again. Anyway, man, I'm very happy for you. Congrats, but now you have to take them all away. Good luck, man, the.
Speaker 2: Best, Derek, Now, what do you remember about that game? In what was what I would assume is like the low point in your Super Bowl season.
Speaker 1: Peyton Manning got boot off the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had what thirty five passing.
Speaker 1: Yards to a zero percent quarterback rating.
Speaker 2: Which is is damn near impossible to pull off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he got two intersec or he threw like four or five picks in the first half and they brought in Brock Osweiler, and then we went on one four out of six with Brock and then went into the playoffs with Peyton.
Speaker 2: Was it was that like the low point in the season for you guys.
Speaker 3: It was rough because we're like, what's gonna happen? Because Peyton was in bad shape. His his feet were messed up, he couldn't hardly throw football, he couldn't feel his hand. It was like, it's just not good.
Speaker 2: Because seemed like a long ways away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed like a long shot. But our defense was still really good. So you know, we have one of the best defenses of all time.
Speaker 2: And you were there to get into witness.
Speaker 5: So is this relevant because Farv and the other dude were they playing football at the same time, just just because he was Farv was retired.
Speaker 4: I think the reason he has is because he's throwing him a bone.
Speaker 5: Ye, well I got that.
Speaker 4: And then he was in a tree stand.
Speaker 2: He was in a tree stand. He was hunting. Yeah, he was all over like tree stands don't make it on sports to help with gaps.
Speaker 5: In my in my media coverage.
Speaker 2: Question eight, the topic is biology. This next great question comes to us via jamisontigue. If you have a question you think it's right for Meat Eater Trivia. You can send it to trivia at the meat eater dot com. Name the order that includes ground feeding birds like turkeys, quail, partridge, pheasant, and grouse. Again, the topic is biology. The room looks stumped. Name the order that includes ground feeding birds like turkeys, quail, partridge, pheasant, and grouse.
Speaker 1: I don't understand the question.
Speaker 6: There's the order or.
Speaker 4: The Linnaean system like that. You are Homo sapien.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, we're looking for Latin words.
Speaker 2: Name the order that includes ground feeding birds like turkeys, quail, partridge, pheasant, and ground Yeah it, Steve, do you have this one right? Confident?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 2: Randalla, are you going to get this one right? Hasn't picked up his whiteboard? How about you, cal.
Speaker 5: No, you're a big bird hun I have family.
Speaker 2: Maybe he shouldn't be given all these hints, h Steve, Oh yeah, he does that? Help you out? Again? Looking for the order that includes ground feeding birds like turkeys, quail, partridge, pheasant, and grouse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm too deep into the system.
Speaker 1: I'm believing my answer the way. It's it's not change.
Speaker 6: It's not going to change.
Speaker 2: Mind is everybody ready, come on call.
Speaker 9: You're a big bird hunter.
Speaker 4: He's taught them. He's taught them.
Speaker 2: This is question eight. We will get a scoreboard update till his I didn't, Cal, how are we doing?
Speaker 5: I got my last batch of turkey stock on the stove right now, I got turkey thighs.
Speaker 4: And wings in the suv, by which Brodie meant to say, Hey, Cal, I thought I thought you were a big bird hunter. But I'm not a big enough bird hunter. He doesn't like it quite enough.
Speaker 2: When you label your stock, you don't put the order name on theready.
Speaker 4: He doesn't really like it that much.
Speaker 2: After all this, Bill, how we doing?
Speaker 6: Ready to sell those?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 5: Anybody need a good dog?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Bill saying grouse, Wolf saying dinosaur, Cal saying bona day, Brodie saying Randall saying Avia, Hayden saying ground ay, Steve saying galliforms.
Speaker 4: Well, I meant like you know what I mean. You don't have to spell it right.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is galliforms. Got it right? This is not count galliations. You know I'm gonna have to look it up, Brodie. I look it up. Listen, Brodie, I just said I would look it up for you. Let me read you, let me do ned you the fact the galliform order is made up of about three hundred species that are broken up into five families. Besides those game birds, some of the other Galliforms are chickens, guineas, and peacocks. The birds in this order are known for their elaborate courtship, minimal migrations, and their ability to escape predators by running instead of flying. Because I like that little minimal migration to very little migration for them. What do you got here? We go?
Speaker 9: Galliforms are an order of heavy body ground feeding birds Turkey's chickens. Yeah, gallinaceous birds as they are called, are important in their egos.
Speaker 2: And you rode down gallinations. We're going to give it to your Brody. Well done a deep cut there to get.
Speaker 4: Just reading down there. He's like galliforms otherwise known as gallinations.
Speaker 2: He even spelled alright, he says, Phil. Give that point to Brody. And we have two questions left. Where does the leader board sit? Point out that Brody is now sitting on two Are you kidding me? You're sitting on two big asterisks.
Speaker 9: Gallinacious birds as they are.
Speaker 4: Called listen, that is not an agency that you wrote.
Speaker 2: Phil hit us with the scoreboard update.
Speaker 11: Hayden and Bill are out of the running for the victory, but we've got Randall, Derek, and col All with five points a piece, Brody has six, and in first place its Stephen Ronella with seven points.
Speaker 5: I want to point out that I knew there was going to be this easy football question, and so at the beginning of the episode, I was asking mister Wolfe, I said, what position do you play? What team did you play?
Speaker 10: For him?
Speaker 6: What sport do you play?
Speaker 4: And I was trying, okay, I mean he thought the bone was going to be what team did you play?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be like, there are many animal related teams, Name one, foil one.
Speaker 2: It's good leg work cal Question nine, the topic is cooking. This is the only state that lists the blue crab as their official state crustacean.
Speaker 5: I mean, you won't even play anymore.
Speaker 2: This is the only state that lists the blue crab as their official state crustacean. This is question nine, meaning we have one question left after this a very confident room.
Speaker 4: No, okay, just not gonna do a whole lot of good sit thinking about too long.
Speaker 2: You know what the room does the confidence everybody ready? Yep, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Bill saying Maryland, wolf saying Maryland. The entire room said Maryland.
Speaker 1: Crab, cakes and football baby.
Speaker 6: Did we all get it wrong?
Speaker 2: They all got it right. The correct answer was Maryland. Maryland is one of seven states that has an official state crustacean. Some of the others are Utah and Brian shrimp, Texas and Texas golf shrimp, and Alabama and Brown shrimp. The blue crab has been Maryland state crustacean since nineteen eighty nine. Question ten, Phil, where does the leaderboard stand? We now have just Steve and Brody left in the game. Brody, we would need rekindled the old rivalry. We would need Steve to get this wrong and Brody to get this right to go to overtime. The topic is fishing. This angler, who's famous for blonde hair and kissing fish, was inducted into the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in nineteen ninety. Brody and Steve both looking at each other. It appears as though they both know it. Here's the question again. This angler, who's famous for blonde hair and kissing Fish was inducted into the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in nineteen ninety. Brody, do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Steve, do you have this one wrong?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, again, Steve needs to get it wrong. But oh, you know what to go to overtime. I might not have it right, okay, because there's another Are you just saying that to mess with Steve? When nineteen ninety is when this person was inducted into the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame. Derek, did you watch a lot of fishing growing up?
Speaker 1: Oh? I know who this is.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got this one right for sure.
Speaker 4: I'd like to be in that Hall of fame man, someday, maybe any hall of fame.
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Bill saying Babe Winkleman, Wolf saying, Bill, Dance, Cal saying, Bill, Brody saying Roland, Martin Randall saying Jimmy Houston, Hayden saying Jimmy Houston, Steve saying Jay Houston. The correct answer is Jimmy Houston.
Speaker 6: You were one.
Speaker 2: Winner pulled away with two points at the end Well done, Steve.
Speaker 6: How does it feel to god?
Speaker 4: Does it feel good?
Speaker 2: How many points?
Speaker 5: How many points?
Speaker 4: To kiss his kiss his back?
Speaker 2: But he didn't have the blonde mop on his head.
Speaker 4: I couldn't remember what his hair was like, sandy blond baby. Yeah, I thought he was a little feels great?
Speaker 2: Got there, Steve? It was nine nine points? Well done? Which one did you get wrong? Almost had the perfect game?
Speaker 6: Pepper one?
Speaker 2: Very Oh no, was it the pepper one? It's gonna bother you assume as a as a big gardener. Well done, Steve. Where is the five hundred dollars donation going to go?
Speaker 4: It's going to our own meat eater land Access Initiative because Cal's got a lot of he's got a lot brewing around.
Speaker 2: Really yeahs off, he's checking out anything we can share. We just got to wait for it.
Speaker 5: Just empty out all your pockets right now.
Speaker 4: We might start some kind of we're trying to We're yeah, I might get the try to get the auction house rocking. Okay, all hands on dak like a freaking go fund. I don't know, so callous hot on the trail of a project. He's got a couple of things and this money is going towards that project.
Speaker 5: Well, well, then goes to everybody. Because it's public access, it'll it'll go.
Speaker 4: To a it'll go to increasing and improving. How do you put it?
Speaker 5: More more access to.
Speaker 2: And it's almost like this is the only game show where conservation always wins, right, sort.
Speaker 1: Of like that.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say that Bill, Derek, thank you for joining me. Derek, how'd you feel about the show now that you got to play? How many points did you have?
Speaker 1: I don't know. He had six?
Speaker 2: Four. I think our our guest line is usually around four or five, So you exceeded that. Bill died the average. Did you feel better this time around?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit?
Speaker 2: Okay, well done. Steve victory for you. He hasn't played in a while, came in. You could have been rusty, or you could have been well rusted. Now, in Derek's line of work, they talk about a bye week and being rusty or rested. Steve came in rested and he won. Well.
Speaker 4: I came in a little saucy, to be honest with okay, because no, just like came in a little fired up man. That's true when we were doing when I was on the book to a lot of people coming up talking about you have one so long, and like Brod he's this and that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I felt bad for him.
Speaker 2: He's getting a lot of a lot of.
Speaker 4: Great little kids coming up with me.
Speaker 2: Game OD suckers didn't sit well. Now here he is winning.
Speaker 4: I had to come back, get back in
Speaker 2: Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.