Speaker 1: Some of the content of Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: The Worlds of Pigeon podcast.
Speaker 3: Live from joint practices with the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 4: This is Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Jillette Stadium, Day two of joint practice with the Philadelphia Eagles, and we are excited.
Speaker 1: We are brought to you by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 2: Up your game by going to Toyota dot com to see the best selection of hybrid, all wheel drive and four wheel drive vehicles of any brand. Toyota is the official vehicle of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 1: Toyota, Let's go eat some lobster. Ah.
Speaker 2: I bet you're wondering what's going on here. We're gonna get to that in a minute. It's Jack Webb joining us, the new host of our Patriots pre and postgame show. Joining us for joint practice, Paul Parola, myself, Mike Dusseau, Evan Lazar. We'll be here for most of the joint practice today that we're allowed.
Speaker 5: To be well, we'll be here for the whole thing. Won't be broadcasting for about that. Yeah, so it was a good day yesterday.
Speaker 2: But before we get into the football, we got to talk seafood because the Patriots are excited to welcome in Legal Seafood this year as their official seafood restaurant and the official clam showder of the New England Patriots. So you know, when we have sponsors, it makes it really easy.
Speaker 1: To promote them when you love what they do.
Speaker 2: And I've been loving Legal Seafood my whole life. And they have locations throughout New England, Virginia, New Jersey, Chicago, and if you're looking for seafood, Legal Seafood is the place to go. If you're traveling to New England, you got to stop at Legal Seafood. But the Patriots are excited. You have two iconic brands, New England brands. You got the New England Patriots and Legal Seafood joining up.
Speaker 1: I thought it was Fred Kersh and Legal. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so if you're at the Games this year, you'll be able to get Legal Seafood in select places on the.
Speaker 1: Concrete's that's amazing.
Speaker 5: I was just telling our chef here as he was preparing this for us that you know, tradition for me when I live in California, I'll come back to a game and then I would stop illegal seafood at the brain Tree split. That was kind of my Cyonara to Boston. So, like you said, Fred, sometimes things just work well and this is the perfect, perfect partnership.
Speaker 1: And I got a claw.
Speaker 6: It's a little Michael Jackson tribute combs up.
Speaker 1: So but you said, Fred too, the chowder, I mean, the chowder is is.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I've been saying it for years because for a long time the Patriots press box has been serving clam chowder to the press during games.
Speaker 1: He said, oh, it's legal seafood. Clam shout. I'm like, no, no, no, no, that's not legal seafood.
Speaker 6: And you too, I have to vouch your friend. He has done this for years.
Speaker 2: This year, if you're in the press box, members of the media, that is legal seafood, and you'll taste the difference.
Speaker 5: Well, you can see too that you got the crackers with right burning right on it. That's what I saw, Fred, when you were saying, You're like, they had the real stuff, and they had the crackers so delicious.
Speaker 2: Love it, so can we. So this was twice as long before Jack Web got to that's why we brought Jackiet today.
Speaker 5: We're like, we need some reinforcements on the giant lobster role we're about to consume.
Speaker 4: I think that's why Fred said, hey, I think Thursday's a good day for you to come down, right. They had to call on the big boy for me, and I promise I will be the clean up crew.
Speaker 2: And if we need to, if we have any leftovers, we'll just have Zoe come down and he'll polish every Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm surprised he's not here already because we can see right through up there.
Speaker 1: Him and Beatle gonna come, yeah, come down here, try to get all this. They don't strut till ten, so he gets here at ten oh.
Speaker 5: Five, right right, pregame meals ready for you guys, when you're ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So thank you Legal Seafood Again. The Patriots are really excited to partner up the official seafood restaurant of the New England Patriots and the official clam chowder if they're making no mistake, the official clam chowder of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 1: So welcome aboard, Legal, We'll come aboard. Permission to dive in front.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, we should stagger it so we could do a little analysis while one of us stuff our face.
Speaker 1: Let's get one bye.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows the rules, all right, so let's get let's get down to football. Because yesterday was day one of the joint practices with the Eagles, and personally, I thought it was a continuation offensively of what we saw on Monday for Drake May and the offense.
Speaker 1: Defensively, I think the Eagles might have had a little bit of an edge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's okay, you know, that's what that's what you're here for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think you know, we all stood up here and watched the rest of practice, and we came away with that, you know, takeaway.
Speaker 1: Good day for the offense for sure.
Speaker 5: You know, culminated in the last two minute drill where both sides of the ball, you know, performed pretty well. But when you look at the defense that you know, I don't know a lot of the other outlets I think had one guy focused on an offense, one guy focused on a defense. Once you heard from the people watching the defense, I think we all came back with a similar take that the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Had a good day on the run yesterday. There was a lot of space.
Speaker 5: I thought they made some big plays down the field too, a couple of screens that you know, found a seam and it looked like, you know, nobody's getting a hand on that running back.
Speaker 1: So I think they need to be a little better today.
Speaker 5: On the defensive side of the ball with those two things stopping the run as well as you know, preventing some of.
Speaker 1: Those big plays that were clearly wide open.
Speaker 5: And you know, the other part of it too, for me, is just I think the Eagles are gonna.
Speaker 1: Come with something to prove.
Speaker 5: Yesterday there were a lot of narratives yesterday that the Patriots quote unquote one practice and you know, depending on who you read, that could have been they dominated it to they had the slight edge or whatever it might be. So I think it's not just about fixing what they didn't do well yesterday. It's about bringing the same energy, especially against that pass rush again, because I think the Eagles are coming down here today with something, a little bit something to prove.
Speaker 6: I like the last part of what you said the most, Mike. You know, it's about what Mike Rabele talked about before the practice and then proving that you can do it. Day in and day out. How do you respond when something goes bad? You know, how do you how do you react to that kind of stuff? So I would say the Patriots were the better team in the practice yesterday. Overall, you can put everything you know, accumulate everything that happened. I would say the Patriots offense was better than the Eagles offense. I thought the Eagles offense was better than the Patriots defense, but I thought there was a wider gap between the Patriots offense in the Eagles defense, I would agree, and I was very impressed, specifically with the pass protection. I thought that's where it all began for the Patriots. I thought that allowed Drake Made to get comfortable sort of surveying the field, looking downfield and finding some big place to Aj Brown and Romeo Dobs. I thought that was everything you wanted to see. But I agree with Mike, I want to see better run fits up front. I want to see the edges, you know, sewn up a little bit. This is now a couple of weeks of training camp where the other team has been able to run the ball with some effectiveness. And I also don't think the Patriots ran the ball all that well. Offensively yesterday, So in a little clunky in the two minutes.
Speaker 1: You know, aj Brown got headlines.
Speaker 2: Obviously, people had all eyes on him former Eagle and and you know, even I think somebody from the Eagle City looks better now than he did when he.
Speaker 1: Was with US. Mitchell, thanks for reading my blogs.
Speaker 2: And the second thing is I agree with Paul the thought that I had watching our defenses, where is the pressure going to come from this year? Because I didn't really see that person and I heard on one of Paul's shows yesterday them talking about you know, is are the Patriots a stacked team in terms of talent? I don't think so on defense yet, And I think they're that piece away. They're that elite rusher away from being considered stacked on defense. You know, they've got Christian Gonzales, they've got Milton Williams and Christian Barmore in the middle, but they're an elite rusher away from being called stacked. And you do have to wonder where is the pressure going to come from? You lost Chase on I think.
Speaker 3: It's gonna come from blitzing. And that's how we saw the schemes. Yeah, that was when we saw at the end of practice, and that was my takeaways. I thought the offensive lines on both sides kind of controlled the practice for the most part yesterday, and I was really encouraged that the Patriots offensive line was able to block up the Eagles defensive front, and especially on the inside with Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter. I didn't really think that those two guys impacted the practice all that much. So that is a real big step in the right direction, especially what we saw two years ago when that matchup played out on the other side, though I agree with Deuce. I thought they ran the ball effectively in the run periods, and unless the Patriots dialed something up to get home on a blitz, I didn't think that there was a ton of pressure on the quarterback.
Speaker 1: So Jack, have you done eating? No, not yet. I'm just taking my time between bites.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you weren't here yesterday, but what are you gonna be watching for today?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be watching the offensive line.
Speaker 4: And I think that that's what made me so encouraged about listening to you guys on the camp cast yesterday and hearing how the offensive line held up, Because we just talked about the lack of pass rush for the Patriots. So when you hear the reports you know, across camp, especially at the beginning, right when they put the pads on, and it's just you know, best on best within the organization. Okay, you take those with a grain of salt, right, because you recognize that's a weakness of this team, is the pass rush. And you hear they perform against a team like the Eagles, in a front like the Eagles yesterday, and that's certainly encouraging.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I mean I'm not surprised that you'll be watching the offensive line. That's an area that I think had a good day yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, that's to me what these practices have all been about. Because of how good the Eagles are in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I mean, you're talking about probably the best tackle tandem in the league on both sides of the ball, you know, Jordan Mylota, Lane Johnson, Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis. Like, it doesn't really get much better than that. And the Patriots' ability to at least have a stalemate on the line of scrimmage I thought was important these two days and I think that they did that for the most part yesterday.
Speaker 7: We'll see if that continues.
Speaker 3: You know, Will Campbell had a couple of problems with jaylex on their pass rusher on the edge. That was the first time that I think I've said that all camp that Will Campbell had some struggles. So I'd like to see a better version of him today as well. But overall, I think that as much as you want to get into aj Brown and Saquon Barkley and all the skill players, it's really the meata of this practice is the trenches and those guys.
Speaker 7: I think the Patriots did a good job.
Speaker 2: Robert Splaine there, you just saw Matt Collins and Tommy DeVito walking onto the field. You can never miss Matt Collins because he's got the red tattered shirt underneath.
Speaker 1: Fred.
Speaker 4: To give you another angle here, I'm really interested to see this Patriots secondary with no Gonzales. You saw a ton of reports about turnovers yesterday. Sorry excuse me, lobster in the throat a couple turnovers yesterday, right for that Patriots defense, I'm eager to see what you guys see from that defense. And were those turnovers and seven on seven, were they eleven on eleven, I.
Speaker 3: Just saw mostly seven on seven or the backup cornerbacks, and that was like maybe a little bit of a pushback that I had about some of that is like I don't really care if Jalen Hurst throws picks and seven on seven, like do that on your own time. But the the eleven out eleven's, you know, interception one was kendallvilldor on, the their second uh Andy Dalton, and then the other one was John Saunders on I think their four string quarterback. Yeah yeah, so I so Joe Alerts picks were all in seven's. But I I just I feel like with this, you know, with the Eagles, I I keep just coming back to their offense installing this new offense, and the blitzing that the Patriots did did was effective at the end of practice. But if you're going to play that style of defense, you need Christian Gonzales like that. That is something that you absolutely need is guys on the outside that can shut down receivers in single coverage without a lot of help and from the middle of the field because those guys are going to be in the pass rush and and if that's how you're gonna play like they did down the stretch last season and in the playoffs. Then you need to be able to cover. And if Christian Goanzalez isn't a part of that, or him at the pa of his powers isn't a part of that, then that's a tough way to play defensively, to be like a forty percent blitz rate kind of team without a shutdown corner.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Christian Gonzales. No new news there.
Speaker 2: We have no more information than we did yesterday in terms of that situation. Mike Rabel did not speak today. He wasn't a scheduled to speak. Nick Siriani did, so nothing new on the Christian Gonzales front.
Speaker 1: No, just waiting to see.
Speaker 5: But I think, you know, again echoing what Evan said, I think they really need Christian Gonzalez out there.
Speaker 1: You can see I mean to your point.
Speaker 5: Fred, I mean love Christian Barmore and Milt Williams up front, but you know the rest of the guys around them in the front seven are you know, solid NFL players, But I don't think there's really any superstars around them, and the superstars to me are more on the back end with Gonzalez and you know, Byern and Craig Woodson emerging. I mean, he looked great yesterday. But they're gonna need to find a way to get consistent pressure without always having a blitz, like as said, because if you live.
Speaker 1: In that world, you're gonna get gas.
Speaker 5: They're gonna find they're gonna find a seam in that you know, they're gonna dump it off to a little screen pass and that guy's gone. So I just think that's if you really want this defense to be elite, it's about getting pressure with four and.
Speaker 1: Talk about getting He doesn't come out to practice a lot, does he know?
Speaker 6: That's why I said, it's a rare sight. Ye see him out here. I put him on the edge right now.
Speaker 1: Maybe you could do a snap or two. I think to.
Speaker 3: Just be a little bit positive about the defense. When they did blitz, they hit was really good defense. Three straight dropbacks pressure with blitzers up the middle mostly. And so the encouraging part is is that the schemes were working when they did blitz. They were getting free runners and they were getting guys to the quarterback. It's just you know, it give us and it takes the way you know early on in practice to hit will Shipley on a wheel route down down the sideline because they dropped Elijah Ponder out to the rush and they blitzed Robert Splaine, and Robert Splaine got there, but Shipley had the matchup on Ponder and Hurts found him for a big play. So if you're gonna blitz like that, it's gonna be risk reward. You know you're gonna give up some plays and you're gonna make some plays.
Speaker 2: So with with Gonzales out of the picture right now, Carlton Davis is now your number one corner.
Speaker 1: I didn't think he had that great a day. They went at him a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw Number seven involved in a lot of pass plays.
Speaker 5: For these Yeah, I mean, I agree with you. I just I find it hard to get worked up about worrying about Carlton Davis, a veteran who you know, played his best football last year in the playoffs, and that's what I think.
Speaker 1: You'll get from Carlton Davis. I'm glad that he's healthy, that he's out there.
Speaker 5: But I think I agree with you, though, Fred, I think they they did target him a little bit. And you know, to Jack's point, seeing guys like you know in the backup seeing how those guys CHUCKI Trees, Charles Woods, how is you know, he look it seems like he's gonna play a part, you know in some of these sub packages. Del Pettis seems like he's gonna play a part in some of these sub packages. So keeping an eye on those guys and seeing how they, you know, just develop as they get more snaps.
Speaker 1: We're seeing a lot of guys get opportunities out here.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Woodson, Yeah, he's had a good camp and he had a good day yesterday. I think Patriots fans ought to be excited about him. Oh here's another guy that they drafted. Yeah, that could develop into you know, one of your solid safeties for years to come. I mean maybe more than solid too. I just I think he's all over the place. I think he's been going after the quarterback. We saw that yesterday. He's getting his hands on balls consistently.
Speaker 5: Was so interested to see how he would blossom with Kevin Bayer and I think we're still curious how they're going to use those guys. Are they going to be interchangeable or is no buyer going to be kind of be on the back end and Woodson's going to be in the box, moving around making plays.
Speaker 1: I'm really excited about Craig Woodson here.
Speaker 6: Two, I'm still a little unsure, you know how that whole group. I think that whole group potentially is the strength of the team secondary. Yeah, but I'm a little concerned about it if Gonzale is you know, any prolonged absence here and I I'm not to the point where I'm overly worried about the contract now. I think if we get to the end of preseason, if we're talking, you know, this time next week, you know, as we're getting ready for the Cleveland game, and there's still nothing going on. Now, you're potentially bleeding into the season without the contract being resolved, without him, I kind of I think there's been a lot of open guys. I think there were a lot of open guys yesterday and those eleven on eleven periods that we watched right below us evidently that no one else in the media saw. So I thought, well, just you you know, Marcus Jones my views crush.
Speaker 1: I have a crush on Marcus Jones Jack, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he had a nice place like Woodson, I think had a couple of picks. I just I'm not as concerned about the turnovers the takeaways. Now, if you take the ball away all year, then you had a great year.
Speaker 1: That's one of those things.
Speaker 6: I feel like takeaways are just not one of those things that you can rely on. It's not a constant. So so what happens when you don't create takeaways? You have to come up with stops. I have my concerns about that if Gonzalez is not part of the pitcher. I think I've seen some open guys. I think bayered In Woodson have let some guys get open behind them, you know, periodically whoever's playing center field.
Speaker 1: There was one yesterday like sort.
Speaker 6: Of a deep over route that it was either Dentavian Wicks or Elijah Moore.
Speaker 1: I think it was Elijah Moore. I think I think, you know, Evan and I had like three different guys that we.
Speaker 6: Have identified as the numbers on the terribly doesn't matter because he was behind the Patriots defense and that I don't want to see anyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the concerning part about when Evan says they're gonna have to rely on the Blitz is the secondary is one of no doubt, one of the strengths of your team and probably a strength of the defense, right, But how much stress can you put on that unit if you're gonna be blitzing the whole time and relying on those guys to either cover a lot of space in blit zone coverage or stay with their guy and man blitz, you know what I mean. And I think that is that is what concerns me the most as a season goes on. You can get away with it in spurts and it can be a great you know, ideally a blitz is a great curve ball, right for a defense and a great weapon to use strategically, but if you're relying on it to get home that that concerns me long term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, back to the turnover situation, I agree with you, Paul, like causing turnovers, you don't can't always count.
Speaker 7: On it some defenses.
Speaker 2: That having giveaways though, it is something you can control. That's something that I think the Patriots have to look at this year because they put the ball on the ground a lot last year. It wasn't just Ramond je Stevenson the quarterback then too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they were fortunate they didn't lose more fumbles.
Speaker 2: Rightast year, Right, so I think they had maybe a record in the playoffs for fumbles or something like that, so that when it comes to the turnover battle, what you can control is what you do throwing picks and losing the ball, and that's more important, I think than getting them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no doubt the depth that corner. I'm not so concerned maybe as Paul about the safeties. I think the safeties are pretty good, but the depth that corner behind those top three has been something I think that's on all of our radars all summer long.
Speaker 1: But isn't that the case with every team?
Speaker 3: Well, I was just about to say, like, we're talking about the fourth corner not being good enough at this point, but that's where we're at. It's not that they don't have frontline players that aren't good enough. It's that you know, their depth in certain areas aren't good enough, which is a first world it's a first world problem to have, There's no doubt. But those guys do have some injury histories. Marcus Jones plays a physically demanding position in the nickel in the slot, so like those guys have missed some games, you know, and I.
Speaker 1: Just feel like it.
Speaker 6: It looks different, and I think you put too much pressure on that guy, Greg, May you know, I think it looks different without Gonzales, and I think the trickle down effect is noticeable. I think we saw it a little bit early, but they're gonna have Gonzales, Like okay, if that. If that's the case, then I think that's where's he go secondaries of strength.
Speaker 1: I worried he's not going to be all in, Okay.
Speaker 6: I worry like maybe, like, let me ask you this, and well, I'm going to stake this up front because we all don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the answer is we don't know the truth.
Speaker 6: We don't know exactly what is your gut telling you about his health status right now?
Speaker 1: I think that if he had to play, he could play.
Speaker 2: But I think when you get a little tweak like that and you're in the contract situation you're at, you think twice.
Speaker 1: And you might be right. I think he's one hundred percent Okay.
Speaker 6: I think I think like ten days ago, he turned his ankle and used that as an opportunity to hold in. That's what I feel, Okay, So what's to prevent that from happening?
Speaker 1: When the season comes.
Speaker 3: I suppose, I mean, and I guess you know, he's put enough product on tape that he's going to get paid regardless, But that would be the one thing, right. It is like if they're making you sing for your supper, so to speak. The only thing that you can do out is go out and ball out. And whether it's for the Patriots or it's for one of the other thirty one teams that's going to pay you, you know, putting more good tape out there, a pro caliber team that's making your case, hopefully that's what ends up having.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a rules question, because I don't know the answer to this. If you're a player who has an injury and the team decides to put you on IR, do you get credit for that season?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes you do. Yes, Okay, you know.
Speaker 6: He's not going to go on IR for the whole season, but yes you do. If you get placed on IR. That's in a crude season.
Speaker 1: It's in a crude season. What's disappointing.
Speaker 4: But these conversations to me is that he's a guy where you praised him right.
Speaker 1: At the beginning of camp. He's out there in pads.
Speaker 4: It's like, Okay, when is this holding potentially going to start?
Speaker 1: They start hitting, They're still.
Speaker 4: Doing eleven on eleven when the full pads come on, He's still out there, and all of a sudden, you find yourself.
Speaker 1: In this situation.
Speaker 4: And I think a lot has changed in Patriots fans minds over the past week.
Speaker 1: Milton Williams was impressive yesterday too.
Speaker 6: You know, he's out there with his fellow defensive tackles there, Lennon Taylor and Joshua Farmer. But Milton Williams showed up to me yesterday. I mean he always does, but you know, I thought he was noticeable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on a couple of those run plays that we've been talking about. I thought ninety seven was in the backfield and in a game he might have been able to make the play. You know, in a practice you don't necessarily see that as much.
Speaker 1: There was a little bit of a role reversal, Mike.
Speaker 6: There was actually one play where that happened exactly the way Evan just described. And I said, I actually think Milton Williams would have made the tackle, and Evan was like, he was there, but I don't know for sure if he would have made the tackle. Well, it was Saquon Barkley with the bat, so you never.
Speaker 1: Know what that guy if he jumped over him backwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, Barkley was just tremendous yesterday, like the patients to run the ball between the tackles and feed off the blocks and you know, feel his way through and then hit the gas once he was in the open field.
Speaker 2: You know, I've got to be honest with all the talk about, you know, the trenches for the Eagles, I completely forgot.
Speaker 1: Oh, Saquon Barkley's on that team too. I know that happened to Joy practice.
Speaker 6: If you want, and also I'm not this is not a shot at.
Speaker 1: You, because I know you did watch.
Speaker 6: But if people were watching the practice, you would have seen sa Quon Barkley hit his head on the goalpost. Of all three times, right, he probably had like one hundred and twenty rushing yards in like ten carries in that scrimm, you know, scrimmage.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the patients.
Speaker 2: Chesney coming on with the with the head coach. Yeah, okay, you're gonna get him back. Earlier, we saw Drake May and by the way, wrapping Drake May. You know, I know these guys make fun of me because they don't think I.
Speaker 1: Like Drake May him. I'm the only one wearing a Drake May T shirt. Okay.
Speaker 6: I didn't say, all right, you don't support him, said down on him.
Speaker 1: I mean that's understanding. Okay, there you go.
Speaker 2: And by the way, by the way, I need to clarify Patriot's nation on his nickname, Drake Drake May May. His nickname is not Drake Drake May May. His nickname is Drake May. You don't say the whole thing. So it's not the Mario Pop Douglas. His nickname is pop. So Drake May's nickname is Drake May. Right, I see what she I see what she's saying. So what do we call him?
Speaker 1: Drake May?
Speaker 2: Okay, so so good. He doesn't need a nickname. So his nickname becomes Drake May.
Speaker 5: If you're writing it like on a T shirt like you Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Of course, so like Ja Mario Pop Douglas, Drake Drake May May. But when you're referring to him by his nickname, you just say Drake May.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You can say Drake too if you want, Just Drake Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean he he just some of the.
Speaker 3: Some of the throws he made yesterday we're just yeasty. I mean he was on the crossing route early on in practice. I think we posted it on on social that Greek Wollen was right on A. J. Brown's hip and he just put it exactly where it needed to be. The ball down the sideline the Brown over his outside shoulder was just an unbelievable throw.
Speaker 7: Uh he was.
Speaker 3: I mean, quarterback's good. Course, Like I I feel like I just don't need to really talk talk about the quarterback and a ton. The quarterback's good. The Patriots are in good hands. It's it's cool to be in one of these practices. And like Jalen Hurts is a name brand quarterback, and the Patriots have the better quarterback at the and it's not particularly close.
Speaker 1: I didn't think it was that close yesterday. You know, I thought May was markedly better.
Speaker 5: I think what was apparent to me too, is that you just see the element of Drake May.
Speaker 1: That's a gamer.
Speaker 5: I think he gets up for like competition against another team we've seen, you know, not to say that he's bored or anything like that during regular practice, but when it gets competitive, I think that's when you.
Speaker 1: Really start to see his best stuff.
Speaker 4: What has to make you feel so good as a Patriot fan. Is just a couple of years ago, you're like, Okay, where are we going at this Petica? Where we were at Jack.
Speaker 1: And then you blink and you're just right.
Speaker 4: It really stood out to me yesterday when you guys were talking about how within the organization they.
Speaker 1: Just expect him to be the standard.
Speaker 4: I mean they were talking about how you know, he is basically a part of the organization in terms of the standards that they need day in and day out. He's an example for other guys to follow. And that's what's so refreshing. And honestly, we took it for granted with Tom Brady, right, it was happening for so long, and then you get.
Speaker 1: A dose or reality, you know what, particular without a doubt what you know.
Speaker 4: The probably two thirds these NFL teams are dealing with year and in, year out, and then you're right back to having a guy who every day is delivering and it is just not a question.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. Look, who found the lobster?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Graul Sales always knows when they're free from there's a company wide email, there's a lobster for everybody.
Speaker 1: Come on down, they have a.
Speaker 7: Different Uh, they have a different budget on the road.
Speaker 2: And absolutely, well they're they're entertaining guests. Yeah they call it, Yeah, exactly so uh, Hunter Henry And in his quarterback Drake May.
Speaker 3: Saw Josh McDaniels walking up the hill second ago, and I just I keep coming back to how fortunate Drake May is to have Josh McDaniels as his offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: For the second year in a row.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, it's just it's such a great pairing and I hope that that's there together for a very, very long time because I think Drake May is going to be a perennial m VP candidate.
Speaker 7: He's calling plays for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bar more being eased into the eleven and eleven's coming in situationally, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had had a pressure in that two minute drill we talked about yesterday. Did some third down situational type of works and one on ones looks good, looks.
Speaker 7: Strong, looks ready to go.
Speaker 3: I think that one is like a load management thing that they don't really need Christian Barmore to be taking too many reps this time of year, so it's like a little.
Speaker 1: Less load management overall. I would say this year maybe is that Uh would you agree with that?
Speaker 5: Like, I mean, Morgan Moses, I feel like we've seen more of him this summer than we might have seen last summer. I feel like you see more Christian Barmore. I don't know if that was still Barmore.
Speaker 6: I think we've seen less of I think Barbore's missed, He's missed entire practices.
Speaker 1: But Moses is a good I think you're probably right.
Speaker 5: I think guys would come out late, you know, be like, oh, that's sometimes he's left early too.
Speaker 6: He has, and he's he's come out late, but not I don't think is often. I think Mike is right about that, and he's also at times Lomo will go in, yeah, finish, like the second set of eleven on eleven's, and then maybe Marcus Bryant will go in and finish.
Speaker 3: I wonder how much of him being more present at practice has to do with Caleb Blowmo and trying to mentor Caleb Blomo a little bit, because I think a lot of the times Morgan Moses is just kind of standing there as Caleb Blowman is taking reps. And I think that those two there there's a mentorship that is trying to happen there between those guys.
Speaker 2: I know camp is competition. You know, as a head coach, you want competition in your camp. Do you think a guy like Morgan Moses feels any competition or is it like, ah, no, I'm good.
Speaker 4: I think he's at a stage of his career where he's looking to pass the torch.
Speaker 1: Eventually, he knows he's on the back half, you know, for sure.
Speaker 4: And I don't think he feels threatened by a first round project tackle. I think he very much knows the type of player he is, especially with the games he gave him last year, you know, at that age and his injury history to be able to play that many games, I think he's very comfortable in that role. And I think you see it with the way he mentors the guys. You're always seeing reports and video coming out of him after practice, working with a young tackle, working with a defensive end. I think the way he's been so generous with Will Campbell and Lomu the past couple of years, at least from what I've seen from Afar, makes me think that he's very much secure.
Speaker 2: And I find that interesting because so often we hear, oh Tom Brady's gonna mentor you know, uh, that's not always the case. A lot of veterans like, hey, I got work to do myself. I don't have time to be helping other people.
Speaker 3: It does help that he plays tackle at a high level, and that's not a position of depth across the league. So if it's not here that he's starting at right tackle, going to be somewhere.
Speaker 1: I think he's pretty close.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think there were some reports in the off season that he really contemplated retirement. I would be surprised if this wasn't his last year, So I think he can look at it that way too. And I think it's one thing to say, like, and I'm not please Evan, do not jump.
Speaker 1: Buggly on me when I say this.
Speaker 6: But I'm not suggesting that there there aren't nuances in techniques in a lot that goes into playing tackle.
Speaker 1: Of course there are.
Speaker 6: But to compare a mentoring situation for a veteran offensive.
Speaker 1: Lineman to a quarterback is not really close.
Speaker 6: Like I can understand any quarterback that says I have all I could do on my own to know what I'm doing and get the game plans right and understand my checks and everything. I mean with the offensive line, there's a lot that goes into it. I'm not diminishing yet, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Think it's anywhere near the scope of what a quarterback would need to do.
Speaker 7: I'll allow that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, what do you think I think?
Speaker 6: I think I soft pedaled it enough to not have every day.
Speaker 1: You big guys, you just sit there and you block people.
Speaker 7: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Like if you're using a two hand punch, independent hands, vertical said jump set you.
Speaker 1: I could do that.
Speaker 7: You know, it doesn't matter. You know, they just blocked the guy.
Speaker 1: I'm glad. I'm glad we had common ground. It just doesn't matter. Just make sure that guy doesn't hit the quarterback.
Speaker 3: You know, we can vertical set all the time and Will Campbell can go back into the quarterback slap every single play, or we can learn how to.
Speaker 6: And everybody can tell me what a great rookie year he had. So it doesn't matter. You just prove my point.
Speaker 1: I love Paul's ability to push the buttons.
Speaker 4: But I will say about Morgan Moses's tackle in the league feels like one of those positions where age catches up to the quickest. I mean you can mask it at some positions inside a guard. You got to help at center, you got help a ton of positions around the league.
Speaker 1: You're not as much on an island. A good slush can enjoy off.
Speaker 2: Oh you don't eat dells with a straw. Oh my god, he must not be from New England.
Speaker 1: What do you need a little spoon?
Speaker 2: You know, you don't even use a spoon. You squeeze the cup and just and force it out, right.
Speaker 1: They have the sticky juice, just rip. I know, at least get the little little straws.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, you gotta straw at the end, don't You don't eat I don't know.
Speaker 1: Then you get the nice juice at the bottom. It's all cold.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that finishing, finishing that off. But I think you think about being a tackle in the NFL. Imagine having a deal. You're getting up there in age, right, You're feeling every little injury, every bumping, the bruise.
Speaker 1: You think about.
Speaker 4: Imagine you're just put yourself in the picture of someone, maybe you know on the Seattle Seahawks. Maybe you're getting old and you got to go deal with Miles Garrett and you got to deal with Nick Bosa twice a year. It's a position where you know, age catches up to you quickly when you're out there on an island against some of the freakest of athletes the world has offered.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we haven't seen like a camp retirement in a while. I remember, like, yeah, we had a run of those. Bruski he kind of what it wasn't he won Nikovich kind of one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a lot of line again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dante Scarneki used to put those guys out the pasture on a daily basis, Like they come to one practice with Dante and they'd be like, yeah, all right, I'm.
Speaker 7: Not long for this, I'm out absolutely all right.
Speaker 1: What else are we looking for today? Right now? We can't have our cameras on the field. I mean, to me, the world where it is consistency.
Speaker 5: Paul said it earlier, and that's you know, you can have one good practice against the Eagles. Did you go home and you started reading some of the headlines that other people wrote about how you dominated the practice, and you know you were in the super Bowl and you're you're back, and you know you're gonna just walk out here today and put the helmet on and roll this Eagles team again.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, look, any team can have a lucky year and it all kind of lines up and you have a great season. But the teams that are special are the ones that do it year after year after year. That's what you know, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady's Patriots did.
Speaker 1: Every year. It was a new team. They found new ways to win, but they were always good.
Speaker 5: And you know, can the Patriots get back to that consistency not just oh yeah it was great last year. We had an easy schedule, we'd have any injuries. Everything kind of lined up. We went to the Super Bowl, and now you know we're going to be back around like the six seven wins that you know some people might have thought they would have the.
Speaker 1: Team just do it again.
Speaker 2: Podcasts at Patriots dot com is the email address. Let's see who was this, Mike? I think, let's see, looks like a J. Brown went off. Could that be because he has familiarity with the Eagles defense because he's practiced with them a lot in the past.
Speaker 1: I think he's just good good. Yeah, yeah, I mean I might have helped him, but yeah, I think wasn't there.
Speaker 6: I think he's a good player. I just you know, and I think he's been getting better and better. It seeming seems to me every day of camp. Yeah, you know, I will allow if he wanted to sort of downplay his his performance yesterday, maybe he had a little more motivation, Yeah, motivation than anybody else, which you know is hard to deny. You know, he was asked point blank you know if he has spoken at all to Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 1: Nope, nope. It was a very quick short answer that I think told you a lot.
Speaker 3: It feels like a similar situation going on with my Celtics and Jalen Brown and Jason Tatum, and we just switched cities on a and then you look at like Roman Anthony and Marcelo Meyer, and Roman Anthony was practically in tears talking about the fact that Marcel Meyer got traded. So I think you got a nice indication of where things stand right now between A. J.
Speaker 7: Brown and his teammates.
Speaker 4: Due to your point, I think when you talk about consistency day two of a joint practice like this, you got to remember going into that first practice, you're probably looking at tape.
Speaker 1: From last year's games.
Speaker 4: Last night, yesterday afternoon, they had a chance to watch the film from practice yesterday, and they're all making adjustments coming into today's practice. And I think that's where you'll be impressed with the Patriots if they can have a full day of tape, a full practice on tape, and then come out still execute and still you know, for for the most part, I guess beat the Eagles in terms of practice wise.
Speaker 1: That that tells you a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think yesterday we saw a lot of middlefield stuff. I'm assuming today we're gonna probably see red zone. I mean, that's probably the progression. Sure, there'll be another one of those two minuttrils that that are good.
Speaker 1: But you know, I think part.
Speaker 5: Of it too is, you know, there's a lot of seven on seven stuff going on yesterday that people are going crazy for, and you know, that's nice, but that doesn't really feed into my overall takeaway from practice. It's you know, it's a piece of it, but it's a lot of the competitive stuff, you know down the end, and I mean, let's say too, a lot of times these second days fights, Yeah, fights, I would say, let's hope we don't see that there was that that that one thing, but the field the field goal yesterday, and you know they will mixing it up a little bit. I think Jalen Carter was involved in the middle of that for the Eagles, and then it kind of died down, and I thought, really the practice without incident for the most part. Yeah, and I hope you get the same thing today that just bogs it down.
Speaker 2: I don't see that particular incident blowing over to today.
Speaker 5: No, but I mean, I you know, I remember the Green Bay Joint practices Day two of that. It was like seven fights in the first nine yea. I mean it was stupid. It was like, what are we even doing here? I don't think that's gonna happen today, but you never know. Day two things are things can carry over a little bit. So we'll see if guys can stay disciplined.
Speaker 2: Matt and Virginia Beach writes in Day Kwon Jones and Shaq Thompson a side. I can't see the Patriots bringing in any pass rushers of note before week one. My question is that if our pass rushers aren't affecting the quarterback the way we'd like, do you think the Patriots would explore trade for a pass rusher near the trade deadline.
Speaker 7: It's possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know you're hoping and we talked a little bit about this yesterday, that Elijah Ponder and Gay Baccus improve and those guys emerge. You Ponder making that year two lead backs, you know, coming into his own as a rookie. Maybe you know, they're going to allow those young guys some leash here to see if they can bring the juice that they need. I thought Akis flashed a couple of times yesterday, and I so consistently see him do that in practice, maybe not with the speed, Paul, but.
Speaker 7: With the other elements of his games.
Speaker 3: So I'm you know, encouraged by what I've seen from Acus and I think that hopefully that comes along a little bit more.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I mean, anything is on the table.
Speaker 5: I connected to Harold Landry because I think you're going to give Ponder and Acus some time to develop. They're two young players that they clearly, you know, really like Ponder. Not sure what his ceiling is. We talked about that yesterday. Akus is figuring it all out. But you know, is Harold Landry able to come back and be solid for you and you know, give you you know, maybe even just enable Ponder to move into that role like.
Speaker 1: We talked about, as a pass rusher.
Speaker 5: But you know, if Landry doesn't come back, or if he's not what he used to be and they like then I could definitely see them, you know, maybe trying to add somebody. But I don't think they're going to give up on Acis and Ponder anytime soon.
Speaker 2: At the crowd another big crowd here at Let's State in huge crowd yesterday, what do you think of Hassan Redick as a like a later down the road veteran.
Speaker 6: He's still on the market, I think, yeah, he's still unsigned.
Speaker 1: I think I mean violence.
Speaker 4: He plays the violence that and I think that's something you hope if that's still a position in need towards a trade deadline, you hope that's something they address. Because they have a roster that can win the Super Bowl. I think we can all agree on that. But if that's still a position in need when you get there and the young guys aren't exactly where you want him to be and you feel like you don't want to blitz all the time, like we talked about earlier, you would hope that Patriots go and address that as a team that's all in and trying to go win. The big one is if that's really what you feel like, can unlock everything and in the one missing piece, you hope at the trade deadline or with a guy like Reddick, they'll make a signing or a move to unlock that missing piece.
Speaker 1: David Main writes, and you know him, Jack, I don't give me a last thing because.
Speaker 6: Everybody in California for a while, so that's a much bigger state than May.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Dave's question is mainly for Evan.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but why doesn't Marcus Jones return kicks?
Speaker 1: Is it really that different than punt return?
Speaker 7: Oh, We've been over this a couple of times.
Speaker 3: I think the main reason why he doesn't return them is his body type and durability. Like, I don't think they want to put him back there in risk injury to him being back there.
Speaker 7: They've talked about that in the past.
Speaker 3: He already plays full time on defense, he returns punts, He's got a lot on his plate already, So I think it's a durability or just like injury protection thing. Mostly it is a different skill set and I think he would be good at it, but it is a different skill set.
Speaker 7: You look at guys that.
Speaker 3: Return kickoffs, it's more straight line speed, Quardell Patterson type of players. You look at punt returners, it's more Marcus Jones. You want the jitterbugs, the guys that can make people miss. So it is a little bit different in terms of you know what you look for in that respect, but they I think the main thing with Marcus Jones is the durability factor.
Speaker 6: Freddy, you had your Guyfton Chisholm made a guy miss.
Speaker 1: On a punt return yesterday.
Speaker 6: He had a good move, just put his foot the ground and change directions.
Speaker 7: The guys the guy.
Speaker 1: The guys are on you a lot faster on a punt return.
Speaker 3: The gunners and the guys covering the punt, they're right in there in the grill a lot of the time, whereas the kickoff return you have a runway to kind of build up speed.
Speaker 7: So guys that can build up speed are more.
Speaker 2: But it's a good question, and it's one that we've thought about. Like a guy like Marcus Jones, I'll bet he.
Speaker 1: Could do it, absolutely, he'd be their best kick.
Speaker 6: Did it, Yeah, But you know how much I just think it's a little bit more violent with the new syst quote unquote dynamic.
Speaker 3: I think that's why they don't put Travon Henderson back there a ton either. And I think both those guys Henderson did it in the playoffs last year when they needed a kind of a play a spark from special teams. Like, if you get to a point like that where it's the AMC Championship game and you need a spark, then I think that they might put the guy like Henderson back there to try to get it to him.
Speaker 4: So, so your original point on this topic is Troy Brown last week talked about on the pregame show how you want a bigger body to run through those arm tackles on a kickoff compared to a punt return.
Speaker 3: It's much more about build up speed than it is about, you know, elusiveness. Yeah, that's the real difference.
Speaker 2: Nick and North Dakota, Right, Sin wondering is has Duce developed any Derek Henry type man crushes on any of the Eagles players?
Speaker 1: Is that your guy? Douce Derrick Henry?
Speaker 5: Well, oh god, you know, since we're at a joint practice, Jack and it's your first one, I'll share this story. We were in a joint practice down in Tennessee in twenty nineteen. My first like this is, I've been working here like two.
Speaker 1: Weeks a couple of times. It's all right, we're gonna sit you down there. And so we're doing a live show just like we are right now.
Speaker 5: We were down on the field, we couldn't see anything, and Derek Henry's actually rehabbing at the time, and so he walked left to right in front of our tables right well, he only was really wearing spandex shorts bread.
Speaker 1: To be honest, that was oh, it wasn't just shorts. It wasn't just sureless.
Speaker 7: He's married to a woman.
Speaker 5: And my jaws on the floor because I first looked at him like, oh, they're they're working out, looking at Duce.
Speaker 1: It's just like offensive tackle.
Speaker 5: And then like my brain suddenly was like that's Derrick Henry. And I'm like and I look and like Paul Fred not or you were there, Paul Eric not even rattled, you know, they're just continuing to do their analysis. And then like I make eyes with Matt Morrell, who's also like, guys wide hope we're going holy crap. So Dereck Henry's been my guy ever since. But no, I haven't been really spending much time. I got at the Eagles players.
Speaker 3: I got one for you and not have to put our camera guys on the spot. But ninety three for the Eagles who are Bernard. He's from Nigeria. He did not play college football okay in America. He's a bafway player. He had a nine point nine out of ten relative athletics scorer at relatively athletic at the International Combine and he is a has second.
Speaker 1: So the International Combine is that using the metric system?
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: This guy he ran and it's weird too. I'll get the exact numbers for you. He's an absolute free He ran a two nine.
Speaker 1: He actually had a.
Speaker 3: Really good rep in one on ones against Elijah Verttucker yesterday. He is six foot five, three hundred and six pounds. He ran a four to six to three in the forty yards its defensive lineman. He is a defensive tackle. He jumped thirty nine inches in the vertical at six five three oh six.
Speaker 1: He ran a four to six three. Do you say forty nine?
Speaker 7: No? Thirty?
Speaker 1: It's not get too crazy, okay.
Speaker 5: So He's just a Nigerian lump of clay that they're going to mold into another All.
Speaker 3: Pro A classic Howie Roseman. You know, we're just gonna figure this guy out. Thet we think talk about Ron is a big Chesney fan.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, yeah, Yeah, it seems like.
Speaker 5: I love the Chesney's always got, like the broken in hat, Like it doesn't look like he swung through the pro Shop.
Speaker 1: On his shoes. But he never wears sleeves either. Yeah, those sleeves either. What do we got into forty time for Chesney right now? Do you think he likes that hat? He wears that hat a lot.
Speaker 7: He's six point sixty three.
Speaker 1: He's at least sub seven.
Speaker 2: I'll give him the meters of yards that had it to Patriots Pro Shop. Yeah, let everyone know good Patriot, Matt writes in something I was thinking about and I wanted your thoughts. I feel what made the dynasty area of Patriots so dangerous was the psychological effect that Tom Brady had on the opponent. I believe that every team that faced the Patriots tried as best as they could to win, but they were mentally ready to lose.
Speaker 1: Could Drake may develop in.
Speaker 2: A QB that brings a similar psychological effect on opponents.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, do you agree with that premise? Yes, yeah, one thousand percent. I mean you hear the sidelines of man, that's Tom Brady over there.
Speaker 5: I remember Mohammed Sanu, you know, talking about with somebody on the sideline of Super Bowl fifty one. But yeah, I mean you got to earn it. And I think Tom Brady was we talk about all the time. He was never dead until the clock hit zero, and he was going to make a my bush.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: That was what the like the adjustment in the Super Bowl was where you're like looking at the scoreboard, You're like, well it isn't twenty eight to three, But we.
Speaker 1: Ain't got Tom Brady right now, you know.
Speaker 2: I Mean I've always thought that not only did Brady affect how players thought, he also affected how front offices thought, especially in the AFC East. And I think during his tenure they were so urgent in a panic to try to establish themselves that they made a lot of bad moves personnel wise, But for the right reasons.
Speaker 6: There's no sense of trying to like build a team that can't beat the best team in your division. Of course, so when you have a guy like Brady who puts that kind of a measuring stick, you need to try to match that or exceed it.
Speaker 1: And Fred's right.
Speaker 6: Time after time, the Dolphins and Jets, especially the Bills to a lesser extent, just failed to do it. They couldn't get anybody in there at all that made any sense.
Speaker 1: You know, Jets had a small window.
Speaker 6: You know Rex Ryan was and again going back to the original question of the email alert, like did Tom Brady have guys beat before they played? Well, there was one coach that wasn't affected by that, and it was Rex Ryan.
Speaker 1: That's true. He wasn't a sense. That's why they had a little, small, little window.
Speaker 6: Now, he wasn't a good enough coach to sustain it the way Belichick did for twenty years. But he wasn't afraid of Belichick. He respected him, but he wanted to beat with him. He wasn't beaten before the game started.
Speaker 2: Rex Ryan annoyed the hell out of me, but I have to admit it was great content.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, him calling all the season ticket holders in New Jersey to say.
Speaker 1: Come out and make a lot of noise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, when you think of that twenty years of that run with Brady, that's the only time the AFC really kind of it's the East felt kind of interesting, you know. The other ones, It's like Paul rattled them off. I mean some of the coaches. I always thought that.
Speaker 3: Those like early two thousands Dolphins teams had a chance, but they never found the quarterback like Ricky Willie. J Fiedler was Dolphins, like those teams had talent and has never found the quarterback that could compete.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the combination of Dave Wantstead and Jay Fiedler just really I'm just I'm being.
Speaker 1: Honest, Like they were good. It's right, that was a good team. They just weren't good enough.
Speaker 3: I feel like we've revisioned his history of that team because they had that was.
Speaker 1: A good team that always fell short in a big game.
Speaker 2: I'll give you I'll give you an example of psychological effect hurting the Patriots. So back when Ryan was the head coach of the Jets and he had that call out to his fans to make a lot of noise, the Patriots overthought that game to the point where they came out with what they called grease boards. They were little whiteboards, and they weren't gonna, you know, use verbal signals.
Speaker 1: They were gonna write them on these little grease boards.
Speaker 2: And as soon as I saw that, I said, we're gonna lose this game because we're overthinking. I mean, they're not gonna be any louder than the loudest you've ever seen in a stadium.
Speaker 1: So just don't go out of your normal practices. Stick with it. And they lost the.
Speaker 6: Game, and Isaiah stand back taking significant reps in that game. Offensively, we were short handed a little bit too well. I think Welcome missed that game and Edelman had a good game, if I recall, but that was it was one of those games like sixteen to nine.
Speaker 2: But the grease boards and they never brought him back. You never saw you never saw grease boards use a game. I mean, that was the one time I got a question for you guys.
Speaker 4: You talk about Tom Brady and that shred running the dynasty. If you're a team in the AFC East, you have to you have no choice but to try to stack up obviously, unless you're tanking, which a lot of them failed to do most years. Do you feel that way about Josh Allen right now? Have you the past couple of years with the way he's thought about around the league.
Speaker 1: Does he have that effect or are you not as worried I do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, Mahomes, Like in the AFC, in particularly, you have all these quarterbacks Mahomes, Allen, Jackson. If you can't compete Borrow, if you can't compete with those guys offensively, you can't win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, unless.
Speaker 6: You can develop a defense that can shut those guys down, which I haven't really seen.
Speaker 1: I think the difference between Josh Allen and Brady though, is not on Brady's level, let's not get ridiculous, but in terms of the psychological effect.
Speaker 2: Josh Allen, you were worried about his physical tools, like him getting out of the pocket and extending plays and things like that. Brady, you're more worried about him figuring out what you're doing and picking you apart.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know a little bit different.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, if we didn't have Drake May right now, I mean, Josh Allen would be enemy number one, you know, He's he'd be the reason why we can't compete in the a f C East.
Speaker 1: But now we've got a quarters reason for five years. Yeah, last year key Beatlem. Now we've got our quarterback.
Speaker 3: I would agree with Paul, though I don't think it's just Josh Allen. I think it's the collection of quarterbacks in the A.
Speaker 5: They're also different, right, Like it's just you know, Brady and Manning were you know, kind of similar styles. But I don't know, it's it's just just to focus on Josh Allen's tough because what about Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 3: Do you know, like on this feeling they're going to make it through the AFC tournament if you don't have an elite quarterback because you're going to play an elite quarterback at some point. You're going to play even last year even though they played didn't play super League, Like Justin.
Speaker 7: Herbert is a really good quarterback. Justin Herbert and you have Lamar and you have.
Speaker 2: Allen Mirabel the best part of this right here, we're going to get hurt of it if gay back is at all less than one hundred.
Speaker 1: Rabel is laying hands right now, so he's going to be fine.
Speaker 3: Right If I'm a Patrios fan, though not to go all like like fanboy, but like doesn't this is awes, Like this is what you want to see you drafted this like raw physical specimen at outside linebacker. That's a Patriot Hall of Famer, your head coach. Now he's you know, got hands on him. As Paul's likes to say, and like you, Akus is, things that he needs to work on are coachable. They are coachable.
Speaker 1: We talked about this yesterday. I thought you made a good point on this. Ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the advantage that Akis has is Rabel was exactly where Akus is right now, second round pick, you know, trying to catch on uh. Akus might actually get more play than Rabel did when he was with Pittsburgh with the with the ones. But but this is he Rabel's been there. He can relate and and the stuff that he has to say to Akis is going to resonate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I think, I mean, I'm amazed with Mike Frable's ability to coach the whole team. I mean, he seems to, you know, have experience with every position group. But this is his bread and butter. I mean, this is what he did. What I'm sure you know, I think we all if you play a sport, you're there's always a special like I like a lefty defenseman in hockey always got a special place in my heart.
Speaker 1: That's what I played. U outside linebackers, set in the edge.
Speaker 5: These are all things that Mike made Mike Rabel a Hall of Famer, so hopefully ReBs off.
Speaker 4: What helps a guy like this too, is when you're behind you, you missed a ton of the summer.
Speaker 1: You relate to camp.
Speaker 4: When you have a head coach that's invested in you, showing he's invested in you, trying to make you better.
Speaker 1: Catch up to speed.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's probably a lot of uncertainty when you come in like that, you probably feel behind the eight ball. When you have a head coach doing that with you, you probably feel right at home.
Speaker 2: We loved it when Belichick used to do it with players. You know, now he didn't have the playing experience that that Vrabel had, but when he would go one on one, we would you know, oh, look.
Speaker 1: At Belichick, he's one on one with a receiver.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys did used to do that. I do agree. I do agree that Fred Mike Rabel does it.
Speaker 6: And that's why I thought the point that Fred made yesterday, it is a very similar situation.
Speaker 1: I think Mike is bigger than Accis.
Speaker 6: And the problem Forrabel had in Pittsburgh, which is kind of overblown now because he was such a good Patriot, Like he was behind guys that were like borderline Hall of famers. I mean that they had a stacked like the Bill Cowerd defenses of the late nineties where no joke, you know, and Greg Lloyd and those guys like they were pretty good. So it was not like they just they had this guy and they didn't know what he was. You know, he was a situational player on defense and a special teamer. And then he came to a team that didn't have Greg Lloyd in front of him and those kinds of guys, and he started and he became a really good player for the Patriots. That's what Accus is going to get, probably the opportunity to play more right away because he's trying to beat out Elijah Ponder, Kenny.
Speaker 1: Chesney's going to run some seven on seven's.
Speaker 5: Ready to cover somebody, you know with What's popped up to me though consistently on this camp is the Mike Rabel gave back as kind of relationship. And you know, I remember the players talking about how when acis finally arrived able having him get up and stead.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: We're seeing a lot of footage of him one on one.
Speaker 5: We you know, we heard him in the press conference yesterday talking about you know, Akus and his performance in the game or sorry, I guess that was probably Monday.
Speaker 1: Uh you know.
Speaker 5: So I just it seems to me that Mike Vrabel has a very clear eye on Gay Accus and knows how important he's going to be to this team, and he's giving him, you know, some tough love.
Speaker 2: I think if we're sitting here wondering where the pressure is gonna come from, you know, the coaches are too.
Speaker 5: So yeah, well that's what it speaks to me. Yeah, it's that's exactly it. It's you know, we're gonna need this kid, and I got to be all over him, like as my dad likes to say, white on Rice every day, making sure that he's getting the details down. Uh, you know, And to Evan's point that, I think that's what it is. You know, it's the details that this kid, you know, needs to learn and have the game start to slow down.
Speaker 1: The owner with Kenny Chesney just earlier, Yeah you are, I know this.
Speaker 3: Is probably I overrate this a little bit, But like evaluating players in the trenches too, I do put a little bit of stock of Mike Rabel working them out. I think that they've had a little bit of success here and we'll see with Akis. But like having Rabel's playing experience and knowing what it feels like when a guy puts your hands on you, and knowing how strong that feels, and how an NFL player's like core and grip strength should be, and then being able to like pop check off those types of players in the draft process and things like that. I think that that is important and I think that that does help them in terms of drafting.
Speaker 4: While we're on the Mike Rabel effect, I want to bring up the running back room.
Speaker 1: If that's okay with you, guys.
Speaker 4: Got I think that that okay with you got so last year showed you that this is a place you can come if you're looking for a fresh start in this league. And Mike Rabel, if he's willing to give the opportunity, you can have that opportunity under Vrabel, A guy like Hassan Haskins, it makes me excited to see him potentially in that third running back role, a guy who is a great athlete. He was all big ten at Michigan, had a great college career, hasn't necessarily found his way in the NFL quite yet. Is that fair to assume that he's a guy who could you know, have the little Mike Rabel magic to him and having a role on this team this year.
Speaker 3: Well, he's I think he has a chance to make the team. But he was drafted by Rabel and Tennessee. So this is a guy that he has a lot of familiarity with and they drafted him in the fourth round and invested in him and it didn't really pan out with the Titans.
Speaker 7: So another one of those guys for.
Speaker 3: Rabel, and we got a slew of him now that are have connections to him from Tennessee. But he's the type of running back you know, downhill back, power back, special teams to add, you know, like those are the types of things that you're gonna make the team.
Speaker 7: As a third running back. That's how you're gonna make it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, and you talk about effects, you have to talk about Bill Belichick. You know, Mike Rabel grew up with Mike Bill Belichick as his coach and heard every preseason it's not about where you came from, It's about what you do once you're here. And I would imagine that hearing that every year from Bill Belichick kind of rupped off a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just think it's good coaching, you know, it's just letting guys compete and not having any preconceived notions of how good or talented players are. I just say on Haskins, I think the kickoff returner spot is a great thing for him, Like that's a great spot for him.
Speaker 1: At the other side of the covering kids.
Speaker 6: I think he's a big physical player, and I think that lends itself to Yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 1: I agree with And.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like he can you don't really care if he gets hurt, you know what I mean. Like he's kind of that like sacrificial guy, you know, you know, just you get him late in camp, but it looks like he's got some ability, and you know, it gives you that peace of mind that you're not going to have.
Speaker 1: To stick gets hurt.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's not like a left handed defenseman that's not quite good enough for PP one, but maybe he's a fit for P twos.
Speaker 5: Right, No, but I you know, it's look, I think he's looked pretty good. I like, you know, it seems like he's got size and he's gotten hit in the backfield a couple of times and he spins out of it. But you know, just I don't know who was going to play that kickoff returner role, and it seems like he might be able to do it and give you, you know, just saving guys you don't have to worry about. All right, we got to put Henderson out there or you know, I still like to see Kyle Williams in that. I don't know if he's got the sturdiness to handle kickoff returns, but I like it's.
Speaker 1: Sticking with special teams.
Speaker 2: Jeff and Virginia rights in are we small Sea or Big Sea?
Speaker 1: Concerned about Brendan's schooler not being out there yet? Small season? Yeah, yeah, small.
Speaker 7: I thought we were going both.
Speaker 2: Small because it's special teams, are small Sea because it's Brenton schooler.
Speaker 6: Not because it's Brendon's schooler. Yeah, Like that's no disrespect. I just want to clarify special teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, I think he'll be back, but he is the leader of the special teams, right, Yeah, he's a very good player on special teams. I think they are better team with him and I I just I don't think it's going to be a season long thing. I mean we we've caught glimpses of them here and there, so I think he'll be back sooner.
Speaker 7: Come the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Here come the Eagles. Okay, like stormtroopers and.
Speaker 5: They all white Thunderdome. Welcome to Thunderdome. Yeah, is that from Green Bay? That was that was cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't know that's a that's a public enemy, sung Paul. I know what, So didn't you say it? Because the Green Bank was like coming out terd Is it Minnesota?
Speaker 2: And again sticking with special teams? How was Bora Gallis's day yesterday?
Speaker 1: Good? Good ending?
Speaker 5: I mean hit two fifty plus they missed one, yeah, Dot a couple a couple missed one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but he did make the two at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Long ones.
Speaker 7: He's missing. He keeps hooking it.
Speaker 3: He's missing right to left consistently right, which I think is in some ways, in a weird way, kind of encouraging because it's clearly something mechanical that like once he gets centered again, like he'll probably be fine, It's not like he doesn't have enough leg or anything like that. It's like he keeps me missing marginally wide left. So obviously I think he, you know, is swinging maybe too hard and he's.
Speaker 7: Just kind of yanking the ball. I don't know what it is. I I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are some kickers that do that on purpose. They like to use a little bit of spin draw to kind of.
Speaker 5: Control it at calling your golf game, right, recollect to call it a power fade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's it is interesting that all three of the kicks in the preseason game and the two kicks that were that were ify yesterday wide left, all five of them wide left. So it's obviously a mechanical thing that he's got to figure out.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: I will say that the kicks look better like the ones in the game. We're not, you know, well struck. They were going sideways. A couple of them mishits exactly.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: Since they've been back to practice and Rabel talked about the operation being back together with Ashby back in uniform, maybe that did have a little impact on him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It's it's such a tenuous thing with with kickers, and it is you know, you guys are.
Speaker 1: Talking about golf game. It is kind of like golf.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, that swing can be very tenuous and something as minor you you think, as the long snapper, being different does kind of get in a guy's head.
Speaker 1: Sometimes. I think he's looked more normal in practice since the game.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. That's why I brought up the swing of his leg. And maybe he's like over kicking the ball and that's why the ball is hooking because like that, I think it's a lot more I guess, like reassuring that it's the same miss every time, like if he was spraying the ball all over the place. I agree, you know, justin Rorosser's style, you'd be like, oh, but the fact that it's the same kind of miss hit the.
Speaker 1: Bullet a couple of times. I think that's a mechanical thing.
Speaker 4: So they get right to it. Huh A J Brown with a one on one touchdown catch.
Speaker 2: We're doing, we're doing. Maybe we can zoom out a little bit and see it, uh?
Speaker 1: Or can we not? We're allowed to film this period.
Speaker 4: So it strike touchdown Hunter Henry with a win right there?
Speaker 1: Okay, Jack, you can be our eyes perfect okay.
Speaker 5: Just only good stuff though, please, there we go, there we go.
Speaker 1: Pop Douglas.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it seems like we're not to marry a Pop Douglas pop already. Yeah's have speed.
Speaker 5: Yep, that doesn't all the excitement from the crowd though, that this might as well be a real game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you guys, what you guys are talking about.
Speaker 4: Yes, shows this is an offensive drill, just like one on ones, just like one on ones in the trenches are defensive drill. This is absolutely you want to see your offense winning this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know it.
Speaker 5: It's I mean, obviously they're they're close to the end zone now, so probably a theme of red zone today.
Speaker 1: Thinks are gonna be tighter.
Speaker 5: I think it's gonna be a good challenge, you know, for Drake and the offense to really be tight on their operation sticking the ball into some tight holes.
Speaker 1: It's it's gonna be a little bit more difficult today.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm I'm really getting excited about him. Yeah, you know, as a pass catcher obviously, but he's he's performed, he's performed, so.
Speaker 5: I just wonder what's gonna look like when you get to the regar season. Of course, you know, how much are they gonna feel comfortable putting them out there, But if.
Speaker 2: They don't do it when they're puppies, they won't do it when they're done. So you got to do it in camp too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Jalen pultated in camp too.
Speaker 5: So that was one of the lessons I've learned over the years of you know, a guy can have a great camp and catch a bunch of.
Speaker 1: Balls and it's not to be.
Speaker 5: But look, all you can ask the kid is to keep showing up and making plays. And you know, I don't think it's been perfect, but he's certainly not on the sideliness, hurt or any of those kind of things that you know, set these guys back and they're never able to get on track if you're out here every day.
Speaker 1: It's just it's positive that he can stack some of these things.
Speaker 5: And yeah, we'll see where he's at once the regular season gets here.
Speaker 6: Going back to that, you know that little interaction we saw with Rabel and Acus, you know earlier when our cameras picked up Vrabel and Rarit, it was was talking to him for a little bit, so you know, obviously a little extra time for the draft class, you know, the rookies. I understand that Mike Vrabel has to worry about ninety one guys out there, but you know that he's thinking, Okay, these are guys that are really important, you know, spending a little extra time with them.
Speaker 1: I like to see that, and I do. I Fred.
Speaker 6: I've been high on Rared and since they drafted him, like Notlayers, I don't love that lie, but I like the skill set of the profile, like, you know, a sort of a big play, tight end kind of guy averaged as Evan says, over sixteen yards a catch, you know, or fourteen yards a catch, I forget which one.
Speaker 1: Last year at Notre Dame.
Speaker 6: I like that kind of of a skill set, and I think that if you can plug that in to Austin Hooper's catches last year, Austin Hooper made a number of memorable plays, even though we have later.
Speaker 1: I think that's all you're going to.
Speaker 6: Get out of I don't think you're going to get much more than that out of rarat it, but I think you might be thinking about them and if if he leaks out the backside and he's and he's open for one of those they missed one of these in the Super Bowl that I think could have been a big play, and Drake overthrew Hooper. He's going to be able to, I think, get down the sideline for bigger gains than than Hooper was k ve at that stage of his career.
Speaker 1: So I share your enthusiasm on rare it in Okay.
Speaker 5: The fun part to me too is having a J. Brown and Dobbs really starting to click. And what's it going to mean for these other receivers, you know, how much less coverage are they going to see? How much easier are things going to be, you know, for Pop Douglas, for maybe even Hunter Henry a little bit. But I think they'll key off Hunter Henry too, so maybe that opens up things for rarated.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited for Pop Douglas this year.
Speaker 4: I think having those two weapons on the outside and Dobbs and Brown is gonna free him up in the middle. And I'm very and I feel like if it's not this year, or when is it gonna be for to Mario Douglas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's a contract year for him. He's had a good camp, you know. I just I'll be interested to see how he does this year. How it translates to next year. I mean, I I mean, based on the camp, it's a guy that I would really consider trying to keep around. I think he's a good complimentary piece. You got aj Brown here, Hopefully he sticks around. You got a four year deal with Dobbs. You know, I'm having a button hook you here. Yeah, I'm gonna go all Freddy. I'm thinking a Julian Edelman.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, you give him a couple of years and all of a sudden year three year four, he's he to sort of step.
Speaker 1: In for Welker. Yeah, maybe that's after Chisholm. That's what Edelman did.
Speaker 6: You know, Maybe maybe next year, if you're not able to re sign Douglas, maybe you get the leap out of the.
Speaker 1: Only difference I would say between Edelman and Chisholm is more.
Speaker 6: Durable, well, but earlier in his career until right, I don't then found things.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think part of the story too, that with with with Pop Douglas is that I think we kind of had him miscast in our minds as that shifty slot short you know, whip routes underneath stuff, ditching guys, you know, and I we started to see last year they started put him down the field a little bit more.
Speaker 1: He can shake loose, he can make some explosive plays. And it's a question I.
Speaker 5: Want to ask Josh to just always to ask about, you know, how hard is for players to learn his system and adjust to what he does. How much does he adjust to the players? Is he learns them and their skill sets? And you know how does he then?
Speaker 1: You know A J.
Speaker 5: Brown said it yesterday that Josh is putting him making his job easier, putting him in position, you know, take advantage of matchups.
Speaker 1: When he starts to do that with Pop Douglas a little bit more, does you know does that open up him and make him more productive? Yeah? I think he did that Pop a little bit last year.
Speaker 7: I keep on going back to that play.
Speaker 3: He made against the Saints, you know, the big play down the field in New Orleans. You know, he had a month long stretch there whereas a dot Paul was like, well over twenty yards.
Speaker 1: That's average depth of tar.
Speaker 3: I appreciate thatated well over twenty yards in an attempt. They're throwing a bombs away down the field to him. And I wrote about it and he said that, you know at Liberty. That's what he did. He was a double move, speed, slot down the field kind of player in college, and that's like kind of where he feels comfortable, and then the underneath stuff was something that he was adapting to.
Speaker 1: I think we've seen similar things with Romeo Dobbs.
Speaker 3: I think Romeo Dobbs had minor shifts in his route tree have gone on this summer too, where I think he's playing more on the outside and they're targeting in more on angular routes and not so much in the slot, and you know some of those creative digs routes that we saw last year. So I think that there's a lot of feeling out going on with all those guys.
Speaker 7: But there's no.
Speaker 3: Doubt that Pop is at his best when he's getting more vertical down the field and not the underneath stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if he doesn't take a leap, is that someone you're worried about walking or in the off season or well, if he doesn't take a leap, then no, yeah, right right, If he has a bad year.
Speaker 5: Then I want to Yeah, no, I mean, I I think it's you know, they got some decisions to make. I'd be interested to see what they do you know with Matt Collins. Yeah, you know as well in Kaishan Boody, is is he sticking around? I know there was no speculation yesterday, Jaden Higgins.
Speaker 1: There we go, there's there's a seventh round pick.
Speaker 5: Right, so we uh so maybe take the Will Anderson for Kayshan Boody in a six round pick?
Speaker 1: You know, like I do that. I consider that, Yeah, fifth reasonable? You know what the Patriots wouldn't. I feel very fifty million.
Speaker 3: I feel as though I want nothing to do with trading Kaishan Boody to an AFC contender. It might just be superstition of me. I get that, But the last thing that I want is a trade.
Speaker 6: Well, then you don't want to trade him because you think he's good and he's going to affect.
Speaker 3: I think he's good enough that I don't want to trade him to Houston. And then they're playing them in the divisional round and he's mossing somebody on the.
Speaker 7: Patriots, Like.
Speaker 3: I go send him out to San Francisco there everybody's dropping like flies over there, Like, send him, you know, out west somewhere.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I had my options, you know, a team that I'm not going.
Speaker 6: To play sure, but I just heard the lot. If I have someone that wants to give me something for him, I would give it. I would absolutely make it.
Speaker 7: I just heard.
Speaker 3: You know, now Houston's getting brought up, Kansas City has gotten brought up even like in the division to Buffalo. Like, no, no, no, no, we're not helping any one of those teams.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, we're gonna be wrapping it up shortly. Final thoughts anyone.
Speaker 1: Excited for another? I mean this last day of training camp.
Speaker 5: I hope the Patriots can stack a second day have the same kind of performance, especially for the offense.
Speaker 1: Protect Drake. May he do that? I think think all the other problems are going to sort themselves out.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's a good, good bow that you just tied on that right there, Mike, Thank you.
Speaker 1: You should be that effective in the camp casts. I try. It just doesn't work for some reason, instead of letting Evan have to do all the work. Wow, I'm to shine.
Speaker 7: I know we got to go. But some one on one notes notes.
Speaker 1: I saw j Brown catching awful a lot of passes.
Speaker 3: I was not tracking that Will Campbell one and one against Jalen's hunt. Same as yesterday I had Caleb Lomu as one on one as well against a J. Eppen As a nice showing by Demetrius Crown over three and oh all three wins for him there as well. Jared Wilson looked good again, but Jalax Hunt's given Campbell a little bit of problem on the edge in these last two days.
Speaker 1: Brod.
Speaker 4: The word of the day is execution. I think with a day a full practice of film on tape. They watched it yesterday afternoon, they're making adjustments. I think the Patriots can come out today execute have a good practice.
Speaker 1: Should make you feel really good as a Patriot fan.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, listen, it's been fun day two of the joint practice. We're going to be saying goodbye, but you're gonna have the camp cast after after practice and as far you know, Verish Strong on Patriots dot com, we'll have plenty of content there and as far Patriots Unfiltered, we will see.
Speaker 1: You in this tube. High Claw, Hey, this is deuced. Thanks for tuning into the show. If you really want to help us, make sure you like us wherever you.
Speaker 5: Get your podcasts like Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Also make sure you follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot.