Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: This is a breaking news update from Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Instant reaction and analysis from our three thousand journalists and analysts around the world.
Speaker 1: Covering Apple Punam Goyle with us from Bloomberg Intelligence, Anaragrana as well an Edla Lowe, host of Bloomberg Tech. So let's get to the numbers. Third quarter revenue one hundred and nine point forty two billion.
Speaker 2: That's a bap.
Speaker 1: One hundred and eight point eighty five is what the street was expecting. Third quarter EPs two dollars two cents a share. That is definitely above what the street was forecasting of a dollar eighty nine a share. If we go to third quarter products revenue seventy eight point sixty eight billion, that two is better than the street estimate of seventy seven point twenty five billion. Services revenue thirty point seven to four billion, a little bit light thirty one point thirty six billion. Am. And again we're kind of highlighting here on the Bloomberg what we call our red sticky, our red headlines. Third quarter revenue again better than what the street was forecasting, one hundred and nine point forty two billion versus one hundred and eight point eighty five billion. We're now getting iPhone revenue as well.
Speaker 3: Tim, Yeah, the headline's crossing fast and furious. I'phoned revenue coming in above estimates at fifty four point two five billion dollars the estimates for fifty three point six billion dollars. Shares Apple down about two point four percent in the after hours. Apple also declaring a cash dividend of twenty seven dollars a share. Third quarter Great of China revenue coming in shy of estimates at eighteen point eight two billion dollars. The estimate was for nineteen point five eight billion dollars. Apple shares falling about two point four percent in the post market. When these numbers crossed, they did shoot higher, ever so slightly. You know, watch the after hours carefully and with caution. We haven't heard yet what they're going to say on the call. Very light commentary too, as Apple is wont to do in their press release, just saying that the company's proud to report the strongest June quarter ever with double digit revenue growth across iPhone, Mac and services and in every geographic segment.
Speaker 1: This is Tim Cook setting June quarter records for both EPs and operating cash flow. Still here with our team, ed Lolo, I want to bring you back in here. I know you're just kind of going through the numbers. Two initial thoughts here. Again, we continue to see this dockdown about two and a half percent here in the aftermarket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a slight beat against consensus or expectations across the board. Other in iPad, I see a miss, and then in services I see a miss on gross margin coming in at fifty point one percent. Apple does explain that there was roughly two percentage points benefit gross margin from tariffree funds, so we can we can re litigate that on the accounting side. But EPs therefore includes an eleven cent benefit from those tariffree funds. But that's what I see, you know, Tim summed it up. Well. The Greater China will be a question, right, But I see iPad miss and services miss. Services more likely to concern. If it's a miss, then iPad maybe, but otherwise strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mark German is going to join us too for the conversation in a little bit. But he's also pointing at gross gross margins slightly above what Wall Street wanted. But again the stock down about two percent, but let's not forget the stock has been on quite a rally so far this year. What you're looking for plex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am. I want to bring in on a rag on rog.
Speaker 3: I know that you expected that the string of strong iPhone results would continue this quarter next given the company hasn't raised prices for smartphones, has your view changed at all given what we've seen in the last few minutes with with with these numbers coming out.
Speaker 5: No, there was a beat on the iPhone number, so that's there. But here is the kicker, and I'm looking at gross malogeins which was also pretty decent, which was a Now that's a surprise.
Speaker 3: Because you would have made the memory price right.
Speaker 5: Memory process to start to think. The only place where I see slight hiccup is great to China. So we'll find out what happened here. But it's a very minor way, boy, very minor miss.
Speaker 3: Are you saying that Apple doesn't need to raise prices because their margins are intact?
Speaker 5: I hope see for their sake, if they can figure out not to raise iPhone lower end prices, it's going to be very good for them. I think you have to raise prices first of all, because the memory costs are very high. But I think you and we think it's better to do it on the higher end phones because you know, people like you are not sensitive to and you know, another few hundred dollars on an iPhone promac. So it's not going to that's not going to be the difference that.
Speaker 2: We can make to be.
Speaker 5: See, that's another reason why they did that. That's another reason why they did that. So the thing is, I think there is one more good quarter of iPhone coming in, but then things get harder for them next year because then comparisons get tough. You know, this is not a company you can grow iPhone twenty two percent year after year. You know, this is not a brand new product. This is a replacement cycle story. So you could see a little bit of a push for people pulling forward some of these things, but things are going to get hard next year when you I didn't do tougher competisons.
Speaker 3: I want to bring in marker Emeni's back with US. Apple shares down in the after hours. Marcus Bloomberg, news managing at IT for Global Consumer Tech. You were live blogging while you were on TV. Yes, what's what's your take.
Speaker 6: My take is that the iPhone number looks great. My take is that the Mac number looks amazing. My take is at services a little soft, and the China number missed the estimate we have here on the Bloomberg terminal. But at the same time, that is, you know, pretty nice growth on an annual basis. Where they were sort of I guess in the toilet in China a couple of years ago and last year, but they've totally rebounded there. It's going to be interesting to see how the foldable iPhone performs there as a status symbol well north of two grand, so I think it's going to be a hot product there, especially because foldibles are taking over the smartphone market in China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you're going to buy a foldable phone as or Sam, We'll be first in line. So is it the light services in China that's moving the stock lower? I mean, I know stock was twenty up to more than twenty two percent going into this prem.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, I mean they smashed Mac right, But like, I don't think investors have fully grasped the importance of the Mac at this point. I mean, it sort of feels like an afterthought. Compared to the iPhone and the iPad. The iPad is always light. Wearables have been light for a couple of years now because they haven't really done a ton there, but that is going to accelerate big time over the next three years with these AI devices. Glasses are going to shoot those numbers up.
Speaker 2: You think people will buy those? I do.
Speaker 6: I think you'll buy them too. Tell me about them, Well, they're going the Apple is not going necessarily after the smartphone market. They're looking to create glasses that people want to wear, just like the Apple Watch replace the traditional watch market. They think that their smart glasses are going to replace sort of the low end to mid tier glasses market, not the Maison Bonets of the world, but you know, the Eslar, Luxaticas of the world. So they're really going to go after those brands there. They'll have cameras built in, I'll do all the stuff that Meta does, but a little bit more premium and apply because it'll integrate with your iPhone, whereas they've really held back iPhone integration with the metaglasses over the past couple of years.
Speaker 1: Actually create something that is competitive in terms of share at the company that moves the needle in terms of the iPhone. Does something else finally come over in terms of contributing more to the bottom line as the top line?
Speaker 6: You know, I think Turnis will be CEO for the next fifteen years, unless again, something goes wrong that we're not expecting. And someone asked me earlier today on one of the programs, what's going to be the most important product in Turnas's tenure, and I, to their surprise, said the iPhone. I think it's going to be the case that we're always going to carry something in our pocket. The iPhone or something like it is always going to be at the center of everything, and then we're going to be augmented by glasses, watches, earbuds, you name it. But at some point there will be a transition to be had. I just don't see it anytime in the near future.
Speaker 2: Has Apple given up on the Vision Pro?
Speaker 6: Has Apple given up on the Vision Pro? It's on the back burners of all back burners at this point. There's a revamped version that's lighter in development. I don't anticipate it before the end of twenty eight or early twenty nine. Could go further back from that because they have been heavily prioritizing this glasses push smart glasses with no display, smart glasses.
Speaker 2: With ar display.
Speaker 6: They've got a long roadmap of multiple generations ahead of both of those categories, and you'll see them introduce the glasses strategies early is June of next year.
Speaker 2: What do you want to hear on the call.
Speaker 6: I want to hear about the memory shortage. I know it's not sexy, but investors are interested in that. I want to hear about Tim Cook's thoughts on how the transition is going. Most importantly, I want to hear Turnas's vision for Apple. Are we going to hear that on this call or we're going to hear that on the next call? Probably not. These guys don't really say anything.
Speaker 3: I'm laughing because you know, you shared with us earlier about John Turnas and Tim Cook being dressed identically, Like, you know, his vision is going to be whatever Tim Cook says the vision is.
Speaker 2: Is it going to be? Is it is that?
Speaker 6: What it's going to be?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, I think that. I mean he's going to come in and make major changes to the company, just like you know Steve Jobs, arguably one of the greatest CEOs and visionaries of all time. Tim Cook came in there. It's not like you took a wrecking ball, but he shook things up pretty quickly. He was the one who instated the buyback program, he was the one who instated environmental initiatives. He was the one who instated and tons of new product lines. And you can bet Turnus is going to do the same thing. And so we'll see how long that takes. But he's not going to come on and say he's going to do things differently than his predecessor. He's going to go on and say how incredible Tim Cook has done. And even if I do half of what you do, it'll be a success.
Speaker 3: Yeah, five trillion dollar marketcap pretty close to and expectations were high going into this prend What's the question that if you were able to ask a question on the call today, what would it be?
Speaker 6: If I were able to answer or ask a question, I would straight up ask Turnas, what is your vision for the future of this company? How are you going to get to this next stage of growth? And how are you going to create an AI devices strategy? Well, I mean the good news is I don't get a question because the bad news is he wouldn't answer.
Speaker 2: That, and just I was keeping track, that was three questions.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I'm a journalist.
Speaker 2: That's what these analysts do too.
Speaker 1: But if he's not going to answer a question about vision and you kind of know that, where else would you what else would you want to know?
Speaker 6: I would want to drill down into his operational expertise and get his viewpoint as someone who's not from the operations department about the memory shortage, how long he sees that running for, and what work is going on internally to solve that other than just hiking prices.