Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to another episode of Quest Love Scheme Quest Love your host.
Speaker 2: Yo, we got teams Supreme with us.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Start with Sugar Steve. Hello, Steve, what's up? Man? Everything's good?
Speaker 4: You know, working half as hard as I normally do, but still getting.
Speaker 2: You're not working half as hard?
Speaker 1: Man? You got you gotta you gotta really like monumental jazz.
Speaker 4: Sorry, no, I meant getting paid half as much as I know.
Speaker 1: There you go, Oh my fault. Okay, that's real. I can't help you there.
Speaker 2: I'm paid.
Speaker 5: Bill.
Speaker 2: What's up, bro? You know?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 6: Halfway through the summer, living life, driving around children's driving around children. That's what I do. I'm like a bus service from my kids. That's my life. Getting ready for the Street, that's right.
Speaker 2: New season?
Speaker 1: What season the Sesame Street? Are you guys about to get into?
Speaker 6: We're wrapping fifty four maybe and starting fifty five. I think that's right. Yeah, okay, so September. There you go.
Speaker 1: I'm Paybill was explaining to us that Sesame Street is exempt from the current writers strike and acting strike yep as well, so.
Speaker 2: I get paid the same amount of money.
Speaker 1: Steve sadly sorry.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I saw some up it's crossing the picket line the other day that show.
Speaker 1: There you go all right and uh fon Tikeolo what's up? Bro?
Speaker 3: I was bro good Man were getting ready? We just announced today Made and Durham Little Brother Block Quarty.
Speaker 1: Uh So it's like, y'all, y'all little picnic joined, Like what is it?
Speaker 3: It is one day and one day only and it's for a limited amount of time for hours and then we're going to fuck home. So one day go to the fuck always always.
Speaker 4: He must have the nicest house, Little Brother.
Speaker 3: Little Brother, big crid, cool kids on, Tall, Black Guy, DJ's hour Glass and Wildly Sparks spinning and Sam Jay hosting. So October seventh, Downtown Durham, A Little Brother n C hit us up October seventh, October seventh, Yeah, damn okay.
Speaker 1: Is this for the twentieth anniversary of the listening? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, twin anniversary with twin averses just a little Brother period, you know what I mean? We wanted to do it, do something in our hometown.
Speaker 2: Are y'all doing like the entire album start to finish?
Speaker 3: I would never do that shit when people come to see his little brother, Like, I don't like them whole We're gonna do the whole album all that. Like people came here to the jams. So if it's twenty years we celebrating the whole catalog.
Speaker 1: I get it. Okay, that's what's up. So people, it's of course we all know it's hip hop's fiftieth anniversary. Pretty much, we are going in heavy on the conversations with you know, our legends, our participants are our delegates, our ambassadors of the culture.
Speaker 2: And what can I say, our.
Speaker 1: Next guest is a legend, a legend of the mix. You know. I kind of credit our guests for really elevating the role of the DJ. It was it was through him that, you know, I first heard the seeds of ideas.
Speaker 2: I didn't know we could do.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that you could take an a cappella from one record and mix it with another record. And you know, just the amount of road trips that I've done in my life, even pre roots with his mixtapes as the soundtrack, you know, it's just it's it's it's to me some of some of the best moments of my life hanging with my friends high school and early early college years for me, our guest raps. He produces definitely a very recognizable voice and screen and his DJ echo voice game is unmatched. He's been in the culture, uh three decades plus and counting, you know, Grammy Award winning albums and and you know ship he's he has one aclade that you and I don't have unpaid bill. This, this gentleman is on a Pulitzer Prize winning record. You know. Of course, younger fans might know of him as the narrative voice of Kenney's Damn Album, you know, right exactly. But you know, our guess is has just been ubiquitous with probably the best things about the culture, like one of the best party DJs ever. What can I say, Ladies and gentlemen, welcome Kick Capri to Quest Love Supreme in.
Speaker 2: Nice Get Better.
Speaker 5: I did all that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's time for that, man, It's time for that. How are you today?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 5: What you call?
Speaker 1: Where you speaking to us? From where you right now?
Speaker 5: In my studio?
Speaker 1: Okay, you're still in New York. I assume New Jersey. I consider Jersey New York.
Speaker 8: Everybody's on top of each other in New York I had to get away to come over to Jersey. When I want to go to New York and go over come back to Jersey.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, because you know, a lot of the soldiers or the participants of the part of hip hop culture that I grew up on and I'm a part of, and that you're part of as well, a lot of them probably in the mid to late nineties, decided to migrate down south. You know, a lot of our New York legends like went to Maryland and then to North Carolina and Atlanta and whatnot. For you, though, like what has kept you in the city of New York, Like INJYZ, don't live in New York no more Like it's almost like I'm pressed to find any hip hop legend that's not still living in New York.
Speaker 8: Yeah. It's my feel, man, it's the feel. It's what I grew up on. I've been around the world. I've been many places. There's places that I will go and move, but I know I will move there for a short period of time. But it's just something about being around New York. I'm not even in I'm New Jersey. I'm right over the bridge, but I can get to New York when already you know. But it's just the feel of New York of everything I come from, the Bronx. I was born in Brooklyn, I was raising the Bronx home and hip hop. I was raised five minutes away from her or kingsbas Terrace to see the Avenue is five minutes away. So it's just that feel of it. But then also my daughters is there, you know, my engineers there on my role. Man, everything I need is right here. I'm looking for a house right now in this area, a new house and in this area right now to move into. But I couldsider moving in Atlanta before in Houston, and the price of living is way different, it's way better. But I just feel like I need to be here. I need to If I move somewhere else, I'm gonna look something. So that's what it pretty much is for me. Okay, homeless home, I get it.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about your beginnings of the culture, like for you, well, okay, you're a DJ. First of all, what like what environment did you grow up in as far as like your your love of music? Did you grow up in in a sort of an open format household where music was prevalent or.
Speaker 5: My dad was a soul singer.
Speaker 1: He sung.
Speaker 5: He was the first soul singer to sing with the Lebron Brothers.
Speaker 8: Le Bron Brothers is a Latin band, that's a well Latin band that's tours the world right now. They made an album in nineteen sixty They made two albums. They made one to sixty eight and one sixty nine. He was the first soul singer with a Latin band. And then he left and started doing northern soul himself and he became really good. He had a record called Baby Hard Times and seventy three. They did good for him. So he was always, you know, doing this thing. My grandfather his what was his Dave Love He had called Baby Hard Times. And his father, my grandfather, he was a trumpet player, which I have as trumpety in nineteen forty.
Speaker 5: He used to sit in with Miles Davis, count Basie.
Speaker 8: The alone is he's sitting with all these guys and all these sessions and play with them. So the music always been in my family had always been around. At four years old, I.
Speaker 5: Started playing drums about that, started playing drugs at four years old and at the time we had a record player that you had to stand over and look over and there's the big TV on the record player. You had to look over into the turntable. I used to play the turntay.
Speaker 8: I didn't know what I was doing, you know, DJing or nothing, but I was playing these James Brown records and you know, these records with breaks in it, and it just it was just attractive to me as a little kid. So at eight years old, when hip hop came alive, that's when I started DJing and from there on I never stopped. And you know, it all came from me growing up knowing all the music, all the funk music and the soul music for my father and my grandfather.
Speaker 1: It's rare for us to have someone that was actually raised in the epicenter of the culture. Could you typically just walk me through walk me through a day in which you are experiencing what we know is hip hop culture. What days do these block parties happen, Like, what's what's typical for Like what their DJing? What did the speakers look like? What or does the equipment look like? Just walk me through your observation of like a typical Bronx hip hop experience back in the.
Speaker 8: Days before there was hip hop records, it was just the break beats.
Speaker 5: It was just the MC's rhyming over the break beats.
Speaker 8: DJ's arguing over which records they could cut, like Freedom and Apache and I can't Stop and records like that, arguing argument like it would be it wo'd be crazy because it would be seven to eight DJs in one MC, right, and because the DJ was so much more.
Speaker 5: It was so much more.
Speaker 8: To remember, the MC didn't come and be so prevalent until records came out. But when you had the Furious Five, you had Fantastic, you had Cold Crush. It was always the DJ first Charlie chasing the Cold Crush, Grand Master Flash and the Furious five, you know, Grand Wizard theory on the Fantastic. So it was always about the DJ more so they would argue about who would cut each records they were cut because with so many DJs on this party. So that's what it was that it was going to the record stop, trying to find the records and standing in the in the block parties in DJ and in the rain while it's raining and the crowd still coming and they stand out.
Speaker 5: There and party with you.
Speaker 8: You ain't making no money, you're blowing your equipment up, all that, but it was so much of we wanted to have so much fun and want people to see what we're doing.
Speaker 5: Now, we didn't mind it. We just had.
Speaker 8: We just went out there and did our thing, and it didn't matter what block it was at. We were set up on a pole, plug up to a pole, and that was the beginning of it, and we would just keep going from there. And this went on for a lot of years before records even came about, and even after the records came about, it still went on.
Speaker 5: But before records came about, it was more contained, you know.
Speaker 8: And keep in mind, this is the time when they're telling us that's just noise y'all doing. It ain't gonna last long. The ain't gonna be here long. What are y'all doing? Fifty years later on over here talking with quest.
Speaker 2: Love, Thank you all right?
Speaker 1: So technical questions I always wanted to know or get answers to, so you know, everyone knows, or at least for those who don't know. The legend, of course, of the first hip hop party. August eleventh, nineteen seventy three, cool Urk throws a party for his baby sister Cindy, and he gets this epiphany.
Speaker 2: That he's just going to.
Speaker 1: Instead of making you wait for the highlight, which, of course, like, if you're playing a six seven minute jam, there's always like a sixteen bar part of the song. That's the breakdown, that's the best part of the song. It's just the drums, and everyone goes crazy for those sixteen bars and then it's over. And of course cool Work's idea was like, let me just play all the drum breaks at once, you know, play give It Up for Turn and Loose by James Brown, and then play some by the you know, incredible bongo band. Just play the breaks. So I'm under the impression that these parties last for what five hours at least.
Speaker 8: The first time I heard hip hop, I'm on my block. This kid named this guy named Joe's. He has some dice in his hand.
Speaker 5: He's going, yes, ches, Shaw took the beach, y'all, and he's throwing the.
Speaker 9: Dice and I'm standing there looking at him. I said, what do you mean, yes, yes, seaw, what is he saying. He's kept saying it, yes, Yes, Shaw took the beach, y'all. I'm like, you know, what's he saying? So that Friday I went to Marble Little Projects.
Speaker 8: They used to have the parties in the community center and you get to pay for a dollar to company to go see Rock one Incorporated, the DJ b Wald, Kenny keV Rockwell all them. They were right there and I seen DJ b Ward playing and I've seen the EMBc on the mic with the echo yes ches shawl y'all to the beat, y'all y'all. I said, oh shit, So I'm standing there watching and then I ran home.
Speaker 5: I said, your mom, I want to be a DJ. She said, what's that? She brought me a mixer that had no headphone home. It was a Gemini mixer.
Speaker 8: It was a phone on one phono two orcs and might no headphone, no plug to plugging in, and I had to guess all the spots on the record. That's how I got better than everybody else in the neighborhood. I had headphones to work with, right, I had no headphones away and I'm eight years old standing on top of the milk create these older dudes looking at me like this little kid's bugget no headphones, busting their ass.
Speaker 5: And the girl named all the carter that was all that was an circle. The younger, she was thirteen years old at the time. She said, Ki Ki Creese, I liked a good name for a DJ. At the time. My name was DJ doctor Spank. It was a terrible name, but she said, kick cries for DJ while we're going in the classroom. I ended up trying to name.
Speaker 8: Six months later, she was shot and killed by a straight brother by accident.
Speaker 2: So I had to keep it.
Speaker 5: The name.
Speaker 8: Yeah, her name was all Va Cartera and I end up keeping the name. Took me to the top, but I was there from the beginning, watching all this and being a part of it and seeing what it is. That's why I appreciate my career so much, because it wasn't something that was just giving to me. It was something I went through, all of the phases of getting doors closed and everything that had to do with just having just learning the business and being a part of it and learning to appreciate what you.
Speaker 5: Have when you and knowing when you didn't have it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: And I was dere for that, So I appreciated in a big way.
Speaker 1: When you're spending these records and of course, like you know if you study the b boy Bible of course, now, like people know like the foundational breaks of the culture, you know, like you're, let's dance by Pleasure or get up and dance by uh, you know, Freedom, or those particular records which weren't necessarily hits. You know, these weren't songs that were played on radio. So what I want to know is, all right, so take take a break, like catch a Groove by Juice, a song that was not a radio song. It was not a hit, but yet was a staple for hip hop parties. How do you like what is? What is what would be a DJ's version of like cash Box Billboard Magazine to know, Oh man, I got to get Planetary Citizen because that is a drum break in it, Like and how how do you find these breaks?
Speaker 2: Like back in.
Speaker 1: Between, you know, seventy seven to even eighty four, before like the Ultimate Beats and Breaks compilations were made which put all those breaks on one record. I mean, how typical was it for you to go to a local mom and pop record store to see, you know, a bunch of James Brown give it up, a turner loose or funky drummers, just like in the bin.
Speaker 5: You had to go to certain stores and what would happened is a lot of stories started bootlegging records when hip hop started, like blow your Head. Blow your Head was never a forty five or never a twelve weeks they made a white label or blow your Head, So that was became so big.
Speaker 2: James, Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 8: All the apaches that came out was all bootleg a patches there were. It was different different labels that put it out, like different I guess independent labels or.
Speaker 2: Whatever labels, and was Paul Winley labels.
Speaker 5: Paul Whinley was official. Paul Whilly was the one that put out the super disco breaks.
Speaker 8: He would get claimers for all these break beats and put him on these albums and put these albums up. But Paul Whinley was the first one, was the one that put Cheapa Chieba out with George.
Speaker 1: Benson, right yo.
Speaker 8: So he did that before the super disco based so he was in in that realm and he did it. He kind of did it the right way. But a lot of times, like the records was in Downstairs Records on forty thirsty, they would take these forty fives and make these forty fives of these downstairs records, and these forty fives would become justice s portant. It's finding the original record because there was a limited amount of Like my man Louis Lui, he still have those downstairs records. Those downstairs records were like Planetarian Citizen and records like that. These was were recorded planet Taver Receiver was never forty five. So to have that it is like a gym, you know what I'm saying. Lewis Forrest, No, my mother May and Louis Lou, Louis Lou down downtown, Louis Lou Downtown. We grew up together. He was in eighty two, eighty three. This dude would have he was they used to call little Bam Body. He had so much stuff way back then. And he's still collecting like he's still doing it. So you know, we was way ahead of the game. But a lot of stuff, like I said, a lot of stuff got bootlegged on forty five, and that's how we got it because a lot of times we didn't know the names and stuff, we didn't know what it was. And even more now that I got older, I didn't realize how much stuff was in the world. I got so much from work, Brazil and just so many different places around the world. But when we were coming up with the essential break beats, we didn't think that far.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying. We would we were we were going about what Bam was playing, but Charlie Chase was playing, what Flashing was playing.
Speaker 8: We would That's how we knew what to play. And how we found out the names is because they were bootleged the records, you know what I'm saying. So that's how we would go. We go to the record shop a whole boot leg section, which is brad we needed, we had it. I can't stop white label like it was. That's how we got our beatle.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that explains it because uh, I was going to say, maybe five months ago, Coolhirk had auctioned off a good portion of of of his gyms and whatnot, some artworks, flyers, memorabilia, and some of his records. So I copped like four or five of those records and I was like, wait, wait a minute, these are just white labels.
Speaker 2: These aren't the original ones.
Speaker 1: But always wanted to know like how prevalent and how and how much of an abundance was like and impeach the president back in seventy nine, eighty one, eighty two.
Speaker 8: You know what, if peace got more rare road to get in the later years, earlier years it was a little easier to get, but it still wasn't It still wasn't something that anybody could just get, you know what I'm saying, Like you had to really know that beat, like like Louis. Louis was the first one I heard play that, and you know, he was just so in depth with what was going on, you know what I'm saying. But the regular person that just wanted great beats, they didn't know Impeach, they didn't know, they knew, they knew the regular things that they heard in the tapes.
Speaker 5: And then later on in Peach became more prevalent.
Speaker 1: What year would you say was like the the the highlight of or the pinnacle of Downtown records, Like for you if you're an upstart DJ Post say, if you're like Pioneer one point five, this is what I took from L Pioneer one point five, like Post Flash, Post Theodore and post Bam and hurt Is Downtown records, like your your mecca is that the only place, like where would you shop for the records in New York City.
Speaker 8: Oh downtown, All and All record on ford them Roll Music World on thirty fourth Street. But what was interesting is that they used to be a Crazy Eddie on Fordham Roll in the Box. When I was in Crazy Eddy this day right Hip the South, I was in Crazy and Cowboy and Mister Ness Scorpio. They walked in Crazy Eddie. They had on boots and.
Speaker 5: Leather and feathers and all that, but they would right stars to be was like, look at these dudes, Like right okay. So they came in seeing them, they left and this dude walks in with a box. Now what they used to do with Crazy Eddy.
Speaker 8: They would take the new record that's out and put it on top of the counter and play the album out in the store.
Speaker 5: This dude comes in with a box. They pulled the.
Speaker 8: Record out and it was Captain Sky Super Sperm. He puts it on top of the counter, he plays the album. The super Sperm part comes in.
Speaker 5: I hear it.
Speaker 8: Run to the front, do what the hell is that? Give me two of those. I bought two of those, and I brought two seas for cookies. I think I'm the very first dude with super Sperm man because I was dead the day came in and it wasn't out before that, so I think I'm the very first dude with supersper But then they did uh and then they remade the album and put Doctor Rock on the album.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, right right, so but the.
Speaker 8: Original Super Sperm album didn't have Doctor Rock on it. And I was dead that day and Crazy Eddy the day it came in, so I was there in the I was trying to get everything at this time, but there wasn't a lot of places. I didn't know a lot of names and stuff, so I would just get it as I go. But Crazy Eddy.
Speaker 5: Started started bootlegging some records and they started putting stuff in.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Put And then of course the street right directed across the street from Crazy Edi was R and R Records, and they had all the breaks there. They had a lot of stuff there, so people would go over there and buy their stuff, but it was it wasn't a lot of places. Yea Burnside Avenue in the Bronx Dad hast over there that we used to always go to, and they's had a lot of bootleg twelve inches and stuff like that, and that's how we got it?
Speaker 1: Okay? So, and and forgive me for asking a lot of pedestrian DJ questions, but I feel like, you know, a bird in the hand is two in the bush, and like you know you're you're the closest to this era, so I can get all my questions out. Okay. So how old were you when you first started DJing? Like your first block party? Your your first party? I okay? So equipment wise, how are you transporting this? Like? How far from your house is the destination for which you're going to DJ the gig? And how do you get it there? Like, I know, if you're a nine year old, you're not carrying one turntable at a time, one mixer at the time, the table, So.
Speaker 2: Like, how do you organize?
Speaker 8: My building was here? The total park was right up the street, set up right in front of the tot of park. And then of course the street was my school director of cross the street from my house, Like look out my window looking in the schoolyard, John Peter TikTok won forty three. We used to do parties up in there in there. Everybody just come grab the equipment, bring it up, bring it down the street and That's how we did it. Plug it up to the pole and we was out there all day and then we would go to other blocks.
Speaker 2: Two questions.
Speaker 1: One, how loud is the system and wasn't loud enough to rock a party area?
Speaker 8: My block, first of all, was the main block everybody would come to because it was the fly dudes on the block. We just we just had a way of carrying ourselves from our block so all the different areas would come. So whenever we was out there with the system, that shit was super loud, and people would just know from Fordham, from Marble Hill, from ford Independence, from Heath Avenue, from Bailey Avenue University, they would just hear the music.
Speaker 5: They would just know. It didn't the word of mouth.
Speaker 8: Forget around two, you know kid is rocking out there, they doing a block party whatever.
Speaker 5: Next you know the whole block is swamp Okay, it used to be crazy.
Speaker 1: So my second question is how are you protected? Like, you know, as a nine year old you're with turntables and a mixer and your records and whatnot. Is there any situation of like, first of all, are other boroughs allowed to come to your borough to represent, like as a Bronx child, Are you allowed to go to Brooklyn to spend that block party? Or like, are you staying just where you know?
Speaker 5: No, I will go with I.
Speaker 8: Was invited everywhere because I got at a young age early on my name travel real quick, so I would go anywhere the problem was.
Speaker 5: But you could go anywhere. But if you wasn't good, you get your gass beat. So it's like if you cover the balls, you go to Brooklyn and you was not good, you may have a problem if you don't they love. So it was that type of.
Speaker 2: Thing has there?
Speaker 1: So I wanted to know has there been situations of like yo're we're taking his turntables or never, we're still not for you. But do you know stories of like ah, man, he got his mixture?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I've been to block parties where dudes got guns put DJ's gotta put guns put out on.
Speaker 1: How are you protected from that action? And how often would that happen?
Speaker 8: It never happened to me because I was rolling. I had, you know, my dudes just wanna make sure I was all right. But I think I'm gonna tell you this question even to now all the you know all to try two on the shows a year even that it's the I don't carry that all that people.
Speaker 5: Wanted to do things to me, and you know it was never like that.
Speaker 8: I never I never went another but people's neighborhood and active funny or you know, treated people funny. You know, I just never did that. So I never had that problem. But what you're doing here, we're gonna rob you or.
Speaker 5: Any of that.
Speaker 8: I never had that energy, but I always had people around me to make sure that I was straight. You know what I'm saying that I never went places that I didn't. I wasn't straight. I mean I've been in some dangers of the places, but right I was always good. But my energy make people feel a certain way. So I don't really get David the most gangs to his dudes.
Speaker 1: You know the reason why I asked you this question because I actually asked Dre this question. Uh you know pre mwa where you know, so if you remember the scene in Straight out of Compton where he is about to play marve Lett's uh please wait mister Postman and he mixes it with Planet Rock, and Dre explains to me, like, yo, that was like such a risk for me to do because he was like unlike those other parties. You know, like at any other party, they might give you one chance to spin a dud that they don't feel and you might have twenty seconds to fix it. But you know, Dre was explaining to me that he was spinning out a spot that was absolutely relentless and not forgiving at all, for like the wrong record. So for him to take such a risk, like he knew in order for him to make a mark, he had to take a risk.
Speaker 2: And it's like, all right, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Make them think I'm gonna play some old motown shit, then they ain't gonna get upset.
Speaker 2: Then when I plant rock, they're gonna be like, oh shit.
Speaker 1: So he was like purposely saying that he had to lower expectations but just fast enough to elevate them. So like what space does that leave you as a creative? You know, because you know I told you, as I explained at the top of the show, that you were big on like these these classic mixes of like mixing R and B with hip hop and this acapella with that song, and you know, things that at least for you know, maybe it was typical in New York, but I wasn't getting that in Philly, So like you were the first tape DJ that I was getting in the late eighties early nineties, like when I was in high school what not?
Speaker 2: So how would you find a space?
Speaker 1: Like when did you start figuring out like ways to make your trademark noon?
Speaker 8: Well, first, let me say this. I'm a fan. I'm a fan of great things. I'm a fan of good music. I'm a fan of good groups and just music, just everything about it.
Speaker 5: I'm a fan.
Speaker 8: When I go to my shows and do my shows, I look at myself as a person in the crowd watching myself, And how would I want to feel if I was that person watching me? What would make a promoter want to bring me back? What would make these people want to pay to come to see me again? I think like them? So with that, I like things that are good. I don't put a date on things. If it's good, it's good, and when it's good, it's times to me. And I could take something that will be unusual, nobody ever heard before, never heard it, don't know nothing about it, and make it sound like it's familiar.
Speaker 5: It's just the way, it's just the way it comes. Of course, keep in mind question Love we DJ's anybody can play these records.
Speaker 8: Anybody can play these records. It's how you play it. It's the impact you give. I'm always an impact due to the element of surprise.
Speaker 5: What's gonna make it go to the next level. What's gonna make these people feel better than they did before they seen me? Well, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: How can I make them feel like they're never gonna ever go to another event that's gonna be better than this.
Speaker 5: They're never gonna feel that feeling. That's my focus. So with that, I'll try certain things.
Speaker 8: Even if you know I was the one that started playing records and taking it off in the fourth ball and the reason why I was doing it is because I had that comedy Jane Teller was a show and I was doing the concerts and I only had a fift team in the set, so I had to play records quick.
Speaker 5: And I'm watching these people go into a frenzy every time I play this record quick, I throw one on and if you pick and if you don't throw the right one on after each other, you'll piss somebody off. So it has to be the right one that's gonna make them forget that one, and they like that, they want to hear it. You're cutting off.
Speaker 8: So I'm watching these big crowds losing their minded us to this. So I applied it to the parties and then I've seen it work in the parties, and you know DJ's followed that.
Speaker 5: But you don't need a whole lot. Sometimes you play a record too long against boring. Sometimes the hook is just the best part. Sometime this the count off is the best part. Sometime the intro is the best part, and the leading to something else. But that's building a continuity. That's building.
Speaker 8: That's that's painting a picture for people and kind of giving them a story from beginning the middle of it. And you kind of tell the story. And I've had somebody tell me that. He was like, yo, i've seen you. I've been the six of your shows. It's like you're trying to talk to us. It's like you're trying to tell us the stormy And that's exactly what I'm doing. So if you play I can play Sad for the Son Christy Jones, Sad for the Sun, Boo boo boo, right in the middle of the party. The way I play it make the crowd go crazy. But if I play it in a different way, they look at me like, what the hell's he doing?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 8: So it's all the way, it's all in the presentation, it's all high you deliver it.
Speaker 5: And I've been very lucky with that.
Speaker 1: What year did you really start DJing? Like what's your actual like first year.
Speaker 7: Nineteen seventy six, Okay, in that period in which you're collecting records and doing this, what was the holy grail of breaks or records that wasn't available or as prevalent as it is now for you back then?
Speaker 1: Like what was like, oh my god, I found it, like even though I never used it, Like finding funky drummer on forty five meant something to me. But I found funky drummer on forty five, Like yeah, what like ten twelve years ago, you know, like, oh, I never knew they made this on forty five and then I found a bunch of them. But for you, like what was that record? Like, oh my god, Like I can't wait to what was the hardest record to a choir back then in your formative years rocking in the pocket? Yo?
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 1: Okay? Can you explain to me, like as as a break Officionado and I get it like I've I've heard many of those mixtapes, cats rhyme over whatever. I mean. Right now as I speak to you, I'm on a break uh Rehearson with ll even l goes on. They're like, yo, we gotta do something. The Rocket in the pocket. We gotta do something rocket and like, what is it?
Speaker 2: It's rocking in the pocket.
Speaker 1: And Saronne Sarne got yeah, Sarne is a French drummer. Rocket in Pocket is kind of like a break of his. I don't know if this is a live album or not. There's a crowd in it.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's a live record, and we had to put it on forty five.
Speaker 1: Forty five. I was about to say it was very slow. Yep, what is it about that record? So when that album first came out back then like all of you all, we're going to eight chip like I gotta get rocking in the pocket.
Speaker 5: I got damn mind. Whenever I remember, it was a pool, a pool woom, there was a pool wom one.
Speaker 8: He fathol in the Bronx and Louis came to the pool room and they did his party in there.
Speaker 5: Louis was DJ and he played Rock in the Pocket.
Speaker 8: Man, it was like the whole room just stopped, like everybody was like, what the fuck's that? And he played it. He played every time he cut it. People you just seen it was just crazy. And then from that day on, that's the next time I heard it was with Cold Quest. But from that day on, Rock in the Pocket was like one of the top joints. And you couldn't find it nowhere because there was two rocking in the pockets. There was the one, there was the studio Rock in the Pocket right, and then it was the lid one. The live one is the one, so it was hard to hit that lid one, so they bootlegged it.
Speaker 1: Ah, I gotta when when you spin it on forty five, it sounds it sounds kind of a little early because you know, the the guitar is kind of on top of the snare, so it does it it sounds like some futuristic ship, which it just sounds like an industrial break beat. So okay, Rocket and Pocket, that makes sense?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: Was King Tim the third? In your opinion? Was that a pioneering moment for you guys or was it just sort of like shrug?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: King Tim the third, No big deal, And what was your reaction to rappers delight like hearing what you're you're involved with on a local kind of a local basis. Now being on a record, what was your reaction to it?
Speaker 5: Well, let me say this. First of all, Bill Curtis from the Fat Bat Ben is my uncle. Oh wow, oh word, Yeah, he's mouchel. I just so, I interviewed him recently on ig.
Speaker 8: He gave me some du He gave me some two inches of some of their old stuff from the seventy stuff. I ain't going through it yet. I just I just did a record form that you were real good in London. You have his masters over here.
Speaker 1: And Wiki wacky Yeah, I got.
Speaker 5: That's what I wanted to use. I wanted to do Wicki waki yoga. That's crazy, you said, yo, what yo yo, that's crazy. I did. I did it. I did the beat. I just didn't like the vib yet. But the beat is done. But that's crazy, he said.
Speaker 1: We just got back from London with the Chili Peppers and I did a DJ gig. I didn't realize that Wiki Wacky is a religion, and it wasn't until Giles Peterson reminded me that even on the song Maureen by Shade, she mentions like a good time in her life was her and her girlfriends dancing to Wiki Wacky in the nightclub. And I didn't realize that. When I put that song on, it was like I put on smells like teen spirit back in the day, Yo, Bill.
Speaker 8: My uncle man Very chiny I produced the records for them recently called Bang Bang Bang. That's doing real good in you for them, it's doing real good as a matter of fact. And he's ninety years old. Man, he's still going, still going, still touring, still.
Speaker 5: Traveling, still in the studio, comes over here to my crib everything, So he's really moving. But to ask you a question, let's go back.
Speaker 8: Because people think hip hop started with rappers, Delight, what records started with rappers alike? All right, King Tim The third was the Personality Job was the first rap record in our way of doing rap, in our way of doing hip hop. But rap started way in the forties. The first rappers was the Jewbileese, a group called the Jewbilees for for a singer gospel kind of singers, but they rhyme just like a rapper. If you go and you listen to the listen to go pull up their video on YouTube. They rhyme exactly with the bars, with the flow, with everything. It's it's amazing. And this is in the forties. The first time a rap record was made was here Come to Judge from Pigmy Market, pig Me Mom Mark Him Comedian. He had his record Here Come to Judge, had the crazy heartbeat to it. But James Brown was the one that gave the format of where hip hop was going to be.
Speaker 5: Pigmy Martin was pig Me Mark Hen was the first one.
Speaker 8: To rhyme as a rapper, as in a rap in a wrap way on that type of music. So it was already here, what we're doing is just a remix now in our way. Yes, Hurts came in seventy three and into this room when he's playing these these soul records, you know, and that was the beginning. But I remember being that young watching everybody break dancing and seventy three, seventy two, seventy three, seventy four, I remember watching people break dancing and just begun the James Brown pat hands and fast legged potential records like that. This was back then I and you know, I was a young kid watching this. So eventually it grew into when seventy seven came around and DJ started, all that was tied together. But it was started way before we even was even born.
Speaker 2: Mh.
Speaker 5: You know, it's just that, you know, black people.
Speaker 8: It created so many things that got overlooked, you know, so many things that was pushed it aside, and this was one of them.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: It just it just took many more years for us to really catch on to make it prevident, but it was going rap was going on since back then.
Speaker 1: What do you consider because you know, I, in my eyes, I consider you like the first generation of superstar DJs, where you know, just way past the pioneering stage of like where Flashing Bada took it, like you as a product, but for you, like coming out the starting gate. I knew of you, and I knew of ron G like, but for you, who were the the main the forefathers of the superstar DJ errors where you're making mixtapes, where you're tearing up black colleges, where you're starting to get mainstream love on like television shows like who Who do you consider who's the peer group of the superstar DJ Era for you.
Speaker 8: I got to put Red Alert up there. I got to put fan Master Flaship there, I got to put Charlie Chase up there. And the reason why I say these names because it hurt, of course, because they were the ones that was there first.
Speaker 5: They were the ones that you know, I always say this, like I work with everybody.
Speaker 8: Everybody. You see my bet performance I put. I curated a whole BT show. My whole thing was to make to get a course that the young and the old party together and enjoy theirself.
Speaker 5: And I think I hit that mark.
Speaker 8: But you know, my heros is always the dudes that came before me, the dudes that didn't make the money I made or got the fame that I might have gotten, order the accolades I've got, but they built it from the ground up. You know a lot of times some of our elder statesmen, they get stuck in their school way of thinking and they don't want to change, you know what I'm saying, And change is going to happen. I remember had a talk with her one time and I told herk I said, it hurt, you know that it wasn't going to just stay in the Bronx. It was gonna go a worldwide you know, because what happened was a lot of times we got selfish. We was in the Bronx, we made it, We wanted to stay there, like this was something that the world was going to take over, you know what I'm saying. So a lot of times the world could be harsh to the ones that helped build it, and it makes those people that help build it feel a certain way. So now when they say something, it looks like they're being old. It looks like they mad at somebody, it looks like.
Speaker 5: They bitter, you know.
Speaker 8: But what it is is that they feel like they didn't get fulfilled in the way that they think they should, you know. And that's why Hip hop fifty is great because now it's no it's a balance. It's everybody's being seen, everybody's making money, everybody is being appreciated, and the young dudes are seeing how important these older dudes were are and what they've done in the path that they put forty younger dudes. But the older dudes got to understand that the younger dudes is going to change and do what they want and what's relevant to them and what they like you don't have to like it, but you cannot.
Speaker 5: Days are going to change.
Speaker 4: Hi, folks, this is Shugar Steve and right here is where we're going to pause this interview. Check back next week. We're looking your podcast feed for part two. In that conversation, Kid Capri speaks about his transition to album making and production, how Bismarck he helped him get a deal, and what motivates him today. Thank you for celebrating fifty years of hip hop with Questlove Supreme. If you haven't already, please check out our interviews this month celebrating hip hop innovators. In addition to Kid Capri, we have conversations with Styles P and slum Village.
Speaker 1: What's Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.