Speaker 1: Hey guys, Bobby Here Sunday Sampler. It's a bunch of cool podcast clips. We got a lot on the Bobby Cast. I sat down with Zach Williams. He was working at a church when he got his record deal after twenty years of trying to make it big and quitting music. Crazy story coming up, movie Mike, coming up, Sore Losers. But we just want to give you a taste in case you haven't tasted yet, and maybe you want to go subscribe to one of these.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 3: Let's start it off with the Bobbycast.
Speaker 4: Looking for You? Is that that song for me? That's like it just kind of says it. It's it's you know it. It tells the story of the road that I've been on for so many years and in my past and what I've gone through, and you know, I grew up I kind of said it well ago. You know, I grew up every night playing music on stages when I was in the band, smoky bars and nightclubs, and it was great for two or three hours while you're on stage, and then you'd step off, you'd be empty, and you know, drugs, alcohol, relationships, chasing fortune, fame, It was all that, like, what can make that better?
Speaker 5: What can make me feel better?
Speaker 4: And and it did for a season, you know, it was like and then that goes away.
Speaker 5: And my dad, when I.
Speaker 4: Was working for him on the construction site, we would sit down on these job sites and he would it'd always tell me. He would say, hey, I don't I don't have an answer for you other than Jesus, like you need to get your life together. And I didn't want to hear it at the time, but I knew he was telling the truth. And I used to hear this saying as a kid, it's the first place you find something is always the last place you look for it. And I was like, I've tried everything else, but Jesus might as well give it a shot. And it was like when I got in that place in my life and I you know, I was like, God, can you.
Speaker 5: Help me out?
Speaker 4: He was there and I realized all my life I've been looking for him, like all those things that I've been trying to find to feel that hole that was actually in search of him.
Speaker 5: And so yeah, when I played that song for Dolly, she.
Speaker 3: Was like I was going there now, Yeah, dude, she was.
Speaker 4: We were in Dollywood working on her Christmas Christmas thing, and she asked me what I was working on, and I told her that I told her this record and I said, I actually got the title from it, from this song called looking for You.
Speaker 5: I said, there's a lyric that.
Speaker 4: Says, down one hundred highways of empty pursuit and a thousand foolish things I went through.
Speaker 5: Didn't know it back then, but now I do.
Speaker 4: I was looking for You and she's like playing the song, and so I play it for and she's, I mean.
Speaker 3: Is there a little bit of pressure again?
Speaker 2: You know you're good?
Speaker 3: There was, but it's Dolly.
Speaker 5: It was Dollie, but she was.
Speaker 4: Dolly has a way of like making you feel like you're the only person in the room. And she she is so down to earth and so humble and just so so much fun. She's like the I've told people, she's like the the fun ant at Christmas that everybody wants to see and hang out with.
Speaker 5: You know, It's like.
Speaker 3: She's very warm and you always feel a valued Yeah.
Speaker 4: And just to even make it even better, that day, while all this was going on, we were I was on the Keto die. A couple of her guys on crew were on a ketto Die and she's like, she's like, you know what we do. She was like, it's really good. She's like they got these poor ground here at dolly Wood. She was like, and I make this blue cheese dip and we eat poor crands and blue cheese when we're on keto and I was like, oh yeah, and she's like yeah, I'm gonna send somebody out to get the stuff and I'll make it for you. So she sends somebody out to get all this stuff and we're sitting there eating poor crounds and blue cheese dip that she just made, and I'm about to play on my song. And so I played the song and she's like coming along.
Speaker 5: Harmony parts and I was like, oh, that's really cool.
Speaker 4: And then as the song's finished, and she's like wiping tears out of her eyes and she slaps me on the leg and she's like, za, she said that's beautiful.
Speaker 5: She said why didn't you ask me to sing on that one?
Speaker 4: And I was like, I didn't know if you'd want to, and she was like, well, I thought we did pretty good on the first one.
Speaker 5: And I was like, you're right. And I still thought she was joking.
Speaker 4: And so a year later, we were trying to decide what we wanted to do as a you know, a last single on this record, and I said, well, Dollie did say she would sing on it, and I didn't know if she really would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a weird thing to follow through on, like follow up on it, because you're like, yeah, I didn't know said it.
Speaker 3: But again it's you're in like the moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I did.
Speaker 4: We we uh, we reached out to here on like a Thursday Friday. She said, yeah, send it over Monday. She sent it back and it was done with her vocals, like over the weekend.
Speaker 5: She did it.
Speaker 3: What's really cool?
Speaker 1: First of all is that and that you have and have have had a relationship with Dollie. But secondly, you've want a Grammy with Dolly? Yeah, like that kind of trumps everybody. That kind of trump's stories of like doing charity work with Dolly, Like you want to grammy?
Speaker 3: Like that's awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's man, I know it was.
Speaker 3: Does the grammy have your names on it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So you on your Grammy. It's like in the car it has pretty cool man.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What was wild though, is that day, you know that we that was nearing COVID. So the Grammys were a lot different that year. And we had a little Grammy party at my house and we were supposed to supposed to have like found out like late in the afternoon when the when it was going to be announced, and I had all these people coming over to my house and we were all going to be sitting there watching it at the same time. And then they were like, no, we're going to announce it early. So they were going to announce my like noon and I was like, oh, man, if we lose this, this party's gonna say, like, this is going to be bad.
Speaker 5: All these people showing up.
Speaker 4: And when they announced it, they announced Casey Bethard's name first, and I thought, oh, we freaking lost. And now I was like, wait a minute. He wrote the song with me. I was like, we won, like and it was just like and so I call Casey, Me and Jonathan call Casey and he's like he's in Florida on the beach making a sandwich in his beach house and I'm like, hey, dude, we just want to Grammy and he was like, are you kidding me? He wasn't even watching it. I was just like, yeah, that's that sounds a bit like him. Dang, that's it was really.
Speaker 3: Cool, It's really cool. It's super cool that.
Speaker 1: Again, I would just be my neurosis would go, I know Dolly said that, but did.
Speaker 3: She really mean it?
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I don't want to like bother her because I already have a good relationship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was, Yeah, she's been so she's been so sweet to us, like we we go down and rehearsing her place down on Laverne, Like it's just she's been like, hey, if you guys want to come down to use it for rehearsals, Like, are you serious?
Speaker 5: She's like yeah, wow.
Speaker 1: She just sent So I have the these little funkos, which I've only been introduced lately to the funko culture. Are you familiar with the funko? I don't know what that is, Mike, will you hand me the dollie funk so I have? Again, I didn't know what they were.
Speaker 5: But that as like something my kids might.
Speaker 1: Probably athletes have them, celebrities have them. And so I bought a few dolli ones and so this is a Dolly one and I sent them over to her and she signed them for me, and then I auction them off for a Saint Day.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they don't come signed and Dollie doesn't have any sign you can get. But I just sent him over and she sent him back all signed. I mean, it was like, and I don't want to ask her to do anything, but I know that if it happens to do with something like nice or good, she's gonna do it. Oh, but it's still like, I don't want to bother her. But she's yeah, No, she's awesome. She's on my comedy special.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's great.
Speaker 6: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: She was telling me she's got a she was telling me she's got a Broadway musical coming out in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: I'm sure to be a massive success and it deserves to be.
Speaker 7: Kind good.
Speaker 3: Levee cast up little food for yourself.
Speaker 8: Life.
Speaker 6: Oh it's pretty bad.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's pretty beautiful.
Speaker 5: Beautiful.
Speaker 9: That for a little more exciting, said he you're kicking with full Thing with Amy Brown.
Speaker 10: Hey, it's Amy Brown from Four Things with Amy Brown. And here's what we talked about this week on my podcast. All Right, I kind of want to talk about the Taco bell motto. Here for a second, because your great grandma and grandpa owned Taco Bells, and then your grandpa ended up running a lot of them, to which my mom was then his assistant. So she worked at Taco Bell for twenty five years. And then my ex husband's dad also worked there.
Speaker 11: In the office.
Speaker 10: I mean the tangled webs we weave, because then my dad ended up dating your great grandmother, so your grandpa was dating you know. Yeah, it gets complicated. So see, we really welcome everybody, everybody as everyone everyone is welcomed us. But a Taco Bell saying was serving on both sides of the counter. And even my mom her work email, she would sign off like her signature on her email was here to serve. I know, a big motto within at least that franchise group. So Taco Bell is a franchise in our family. That was a franchise that was based in Austin, and they would all go to the office every day, and that was a company that cultivated a lot of connection and community and love and service. And I know that your mom talks about serving both sides of the counter and that if there are a group of people coming over, everybody kind of jumps in and serves. She's not also just serving y'all all over, like y'all come and are part of it too. I'm picturing like the island table, like everybody's just doing their part. Like say, if it does turn into more of a sit down dinner, it's like everybody is welcome to start pitching in and serving each other.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that was one thing that we always did. We would always set timers and do pus, which is a pickup session, and so we do like seven minute pus. And it was something where my friends, especially my best friends who were over all the time in high school, and my brother's friends do the exact same thing. You'll find the teenage boys around the kitchen cleaning up after dinner because they know if they're coming over that they're probably going to get fed a really good meal. And that happens every single time, whether it's like sausage on the fire or a really nice like pork tacos, anything, but they always know if they're gonna come eat, Like we're all mutually gonna help my mom clean up because she does so much for us, And it was something that was expected that as my parents are serving us, we will serve them back. And it was something I remember at first feeling nervous, like, oh, I don't want to make my friends have to help clean up in the kitchen. But then it just became this fun thing like turn on music, set a time, or see how fast you can get it done. That was a way where we kind of created mutual like, Okay, I'm allowed to have people over if we're gonna serve on both ends of this, like we'll serve my.
Speaker 11: Family and then my mom and dad.
Speaker 12: They'll serve us in probably so many more ways than me and my friends would serve.
Speaker 11: Them, but still it's a little mutual exchange.
Speaker 10: Now. I love that that expectation was set up and it's just something that's been in their family and they knew, hey, this is how we're going to do it. And I think that it takes the pressure off too of some parents that are maybe wanting to create this space and they feel like they have to burn themselves out to serve, serve, serve their kids. And really it invites it to be like this is an experience for all of us, and then it welcomes even more people to come because it makes it less stressful. And I know that your parents were good at Okay, if somebody needs a ride and they want to come, we'll go pick them up, or we can give them a ride home, or yes, making sure people can carpool, and just being that type of family. And I'll admit sometimes I don't like I'll just have certain things going on and I don't pause to think, Okay, if I just go create this space for my kids by allowing them to get somewhere or have others come over here, they're going to remember me pausing life to do that. I really think that, even listening to you talk, I feel as though they absolutely will remember if for whatever reason, one of their friends couldn't make it and I could pause and figure out how to get someone over.
Speaker 12: It means a lot more to them than they'll show then they'll show in the time being. But then those are all the things that now, being three years out of the house, I still remember all the little things my parents would do well.
Speaker 10: And then at the coffee shop, well, Root Design is the design build firm. Then there's the coffee shop, Root House coffee. But there's hats and cups, there's a logo, a theme of Root for each other. Do you think that that's been a big part of your friend's experience when they're over, did they feel rooted for?
Speaker 12: Yeah, because I'd watched my dad like specifically just go and hang out with my friends without me even being there and talk about life. And my dad was someone who he genuinely knew the core things going on in my friends' lives and he cares about it and that means the world to me, and in turn, like my friends feel rooted for, and then they root for my family. We had all of my friends working at the coffee shop at one point. That was the best thing ever in high school. But yeah, just like mutually all rooting for each other, and that kind of starts at the house when people are over and they feel seen and taken care of, and my mom and dad just have such a welcoming spirit.
Speaker 11: It's hard.
Speaker 12: It's hard for my friends not to feel rooted for when they're over at our house, which makes me just so grateful for my parents and everything they do.
Speaker 11: I mean, watching you tah.
Speaker 13: They're going to love this episode.
Speaker 10: Well, I truly am encouraged because I could be better at that, and I need to be more intentional about asking more questions and trying to get to know the kids well that my kids are hanging out with and said just letting them go off and do their thing, and that they're probably not going to be as annoyed as I would think.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do it live. We are the one, two, three sore Losers.
Speaker 8: What up, everybody? I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports. I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius, y'all.
Speaker 2: It's Sison. I'm from the North. I'm an alpha male. I live on the north side of Nashville with bays Or my wife. We do have a farm. It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops. Hopefully soon corn pumpkins, rye. I believe maybe a little fescue to be determined.
Speaker 8: Over to you, coach, And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers.
Speaker 2: I got a message. We can just say it's an email, but it's from our Facebook.
Speaker 6: I'd love to hear it.
Speaker 2: This is a deeper, deeper way to think about things. So this is the next level. A lot of our truckers aren't even going to understand this because it's one step tug boaters as well, not a lot of deep thinkers. But it's on our Facebook. Christopher Toefer. Almost this is about us in that internship that somebody thought they were applying for, and there was people execs and upper managineah, we're wondering are we hiring people? Chris says. It sounds like whoever applied has an end with the higher ups and their connection worked because they have the exect contacting you guys. So I would tell them that you guys were interested in an intern higher but don't know how to go exactly about it. And then since you have their attention already and they're emailing you and see how they can now help us, and maybe they'll hook you guys up and won't have to pay anything out of your pockets, and we officially have an arnold. So we reverse osmosis the emails about the inquiry about the internship and say, well, yes, we're interested in doing this.
Speaker 8: So we go back to the exec and be like, wow, you guys are looking to hire someone for us. That is amazing. How much were you guys going to pay this person?
Speaker 2: Because we have the exec's attention and we just said, oh, wrong house, we're not here. We set the guy on his way.
Speaker 6: Dude.
Speaker 8: That is like the scene in Dumb and Dumber when they get the hotty bus and they're like, hi, we're suit is and they run down the bus and they're like, oh my god, they're getting on the bus. They're getting on the bus and they say, nope, it is that way. Oh my gosh. We did that with the exact We are Larry, Harry and Lloyd. We are Harry and Lloyd because the exec is right there for the taking. We have a chance to reach out to him and say, hey, can you help us with this?
Speaker 6: This and this? And instead we slam the door shut. What an analogy? Can't believe this?
Speaker 2: Floyd, First, Mary dumps us and the cops take our nest egg, and then our hot breaks down.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when are we ever going to catch a break.
Speaker 6: Plus the hotties.
Speaker 14: Spoiler alert, Hi y'all, Hi guys.
Speaker 10: We're going on a national bikini tour and we're looking for two oil boys.
Speaker 7: Who can grease us up before each competition.
Speaker 2: This is us getting the email.
Speaker 6: You are in luck.
Speaker 3: There's a town about three miles that way. I'm sure, you'll find a couple of guys there.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, we don't know what you're talking about. The email guys see it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we're not.
Speaker 2: Looking for an intern.
Speaker 6: My man, get out of here. Do you realize what you've done?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 2: Why this is me bringing up the email to you? Now we're running after the email, Jane trying to talk.
Speaker 6: We got it, We caught him.
Speaker 3: You'll have to excuse my friend.
Speaker 6: He's a little slow.
Speaker 3: The town is back.
Speaker 1: That way, got that time.
Speaker 8: Can I just tell you, I still don't understand one of my college roommates, Clay, he hated Dumb and Dumber. He did not think it was funny at all.
Speaker 2: It was one of the best movies of our childhood.
Speaker 8: I agree, And he was like, it is just so stupid because there's crime.
Speaker 2: Also, Am I not right on that there's a touch of it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that it caters to now the crime generation. Last podcast I tagged every crime podcast crime Officionado crime hashtag there was because we talked about Natalie Holloway.
Speaker 8: I don't understand how you don't find Dumb and Dumber funny. That worries me. It worried me about Clay. I mean he's a great dude, but just off his rocker. Now we're going to read another email.
Speaker 2: Ray, I'm out here without a segue.
Speaker 8: Nope, I was doing emails then we went to that. I love listening to this podcast. I only recently started listening because I didn't have a lot of interest in sports.
Speaker 2: Who said didn't have a lot going for me?
Speaker 6: But it's so much more.
Speaker 8: I love lunchbox and raised stories about their kids, wives, et cetera. And I'm learning a bit about sports.
Speaker 5: I don't have kids.
Speaker 8: Well, she's just saying stories. You guys definitely should have more segments on what you call the Big Show. I love all those guys, but some of your stories on here are better. Keep it up, guys. Alyssa chorus, chorus, Thank you Alyssa.
Speaker 6: Yeah that was good.
Speaker 2: That's a good segment, dude. How many emails do we get? Real talk?
Speaker 8: We get a lot, and I should read them more because I don't. I get behind and I just I miss them.
Speaker 2: And all our information is at sored Loosers dot com.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah, you can go to our website and our emails. We are the sore Losers at gmail dot com. Because you know, we really should talk about that more.
Speaker 2: He paid some money for that site.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we did. You realize I had to buy it from someone?
Speaker 2: Couldn't we have negotiated that down? Ont I tried, Oh you did?
Speaker 6: I trust you?
Speaker 2: Did you do it like the lady in the country, the country people negotiations?
Speaker 6: Yes, I did. And it didn't go very well?
Speaker 2: Right, things went south.
Speaker 5: We lost.
Speaker 8: Well, let's just say it might have been in the case, right, But did you talk them down?
Speaker 6: Please just say you did?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Originally it was five.
Speaker 2: K Okay, then that's impressed with what you did.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Hey, it's Mike d And this week on movie Mike's Movie Podcast, my wife Kelsey joins me and we recap all the best and worst movies we watched in the month of May, giving you recommendations on movies you should check out in theaters or streaming, and giving you our picks of movies you need to avoid. I also gave my spoiler free review on Furiosa and why it didn't do so well at the box office For the first time ever, I'm actually worried about the fate of movie theater. So I get into all that, Plus a look at the new Malwana IU trailer so be sure to check out this entire episode. But right now, here's just a little bit of our best and worst of May. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start off with what was the best movie you saw in May?
Speaker 11: That's so easy. It was Babes.
Speaker 16: I knew it was going to be Babes, hands down your favorite movie.
Speaker 11: I already want to see it again already. Yeah, that's what you're doing right now.
Speaker 16: That's rare to go see a movie and want to see it again these days.
Speaker 11: It made me laugh so hard, And.
Speaker 16: As many movies as we watch, it's pretty rare we go back and rewatch a movie. I can't remember the last one that as soon as it hits streaming, I wanted to go rewatch again. My best had to go to The Fall Guy. And I think the reason that is now looking back on it, is because I feel like as big of a fan of just movies in general i am. I think that's why that movie spoke so much to me, because it also shows you the movie making process.
Speaker 11: You love a movie about a movie.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's pretty meta, and I didn't know how well it was going to do with people who maybe didn't care so much about that because it.
Speaker 11: Was so good.
Speaker 17: Though, that was my runner up for Best of the Month because it just was. I loved it because everything about it.
Speaker 16: Ryan Gosling plays a stunt man who gets hurt, retires from stunt stunting, stunting stunting stunt manning, and then gets pulled back in. So while he is doing stuntman things in the fake movie on set, he is also doing stunt like things in The fall Guy, so it goes kind of like two layers. He's also acting as a stuntman, but he's also doing stunt things as the actor.
Speaker 11: It was meta within a meta movie.
Speaker 16: There are a lot of those moments, and I feel like at times it almost got way too into it. But I loved how unorthodox and different it felt than anything I'd seen in theaters in a long time. So that was my best of the month. What is your worst?
Speaker 11: A movie? I should have let you go see by yourself. It's called I Saw the TV.
Speaker 3: I knew you were gonna do it.
Speaker 11: It was too artsy for me. I am not high brown comes to movies.
Speaker 17: The only thing I would say I'm ever maybe highbrow about his books, and I'll even read like popular books.
Speaker 11: Like I'm not a book.
Speaker 17: Snob, but like I enjoy deeper books than I do deeper movies.
Speaker 11: I was so bored. I was so freakin' bored.
Speaker 16: I will say I didn't love I Saw the TV Glow, but I also didn't hate it as much as you did. I really enjoyed the vibe of I Saw the TV Glow. So what it's about is this kid named Owen and him and a friend get infatuated with this late night show that is kind of reminiscent of what you would see on Nickelodeon in the early nineties, kind of like the show.
Speaker 6: Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Speaker 16: Is what this show is in the movie, it's called the pink Opake, and it's them becoming infatuated with this show and then not being able to tell reality from the show, and that is generally what the movie is about. I will say the trailer was a little bit misleading because I thought it was going to have a little bit more of a traditional story structure of here's this story with these two characters find this weird show, and then they have to go on some adventure. There was really no adventure in the movie. The storytelling was really abstract, which even for me that I loved the vibe of it, that nineties retro vibe. The soundtrack soundtrack is great. Oh, I've been listening to it NonStop. Literally, it is my most played thing for the last week and a half because I loved it so much and even for a movie to make me want to go seek out its soundtrack, I feel is really powerful.
Speaker 17: Willy Wonka made you seek out the soundtrack Willy Wonka.
Speaker 16: I also listened to the Asteroid City soundtrack.
Speaker 11: We listened to Willy Wonka for quite a while.
Speaker 6: That was maybe a week. It was probably a week.
Speaker 16: Cashtroid City I listened to that probably for a week. Two Last Train, Yeah, I listened to that on a lot too, but for like for music that would actually go into something I would listen to on the rag.
Speaker 17: You also wanted to see this movie because Phoebe Bridgers wasn't it for sixty seconds?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I thought she was gonna be bigger wrong, but she.
Speaker 11: There's a lot of things we thought about this movie.
Speaker 16: Music was a big part of it, because at times this movie felt like it transformed into a music video. There were sequences that were just really beautifully shot, a lot of cool, fun neon visuals with a really cool song playing over it, and it was these moments where it didn't really feel that attached to the movie, so I enjoyed that part of it. I think that's why all the songs were so cemented in my head. Even the song with Phoebe Bridges was on screen in her band, I was like, I need to go listen to that song. It didn't occur to me. Oh, it's probably a real song, a part of the soundtrack. So I feel like all of the parts of it were good, but when you put them all together, the overall movie wasn't what I thought it was going to be. It's like taking a bunch of good ingredients and throwing them all together into a dinner, but then the dinner not being good because it's just a bunch of ingredients that don't really go well together, which also happens to us often. Oh yeah, that was exactly how was speaking to me right now. Sometimes I think I want something and then I make exactly what I wanted, and I think that's not what I wanted.
Speaker 6: It taste good.
Speaker 11: I say that often.
Speaker 17: I throw things in a bowl and I'm like, this wasn't the vibee was going for, and that's what the movie gave me, not the vibe I it was going for.
Speaker 6: That's your worst.
Speaker 16: Huh what would you rate it? Because I know what you said right after we watched it, You're like zero out of five.
Speaker 6: I'm out of here? Are you still at the zero? You can be at the zero.
Speaker 11: I'll give it a point five for the soundtrack.
Speaker 6: Soundtrack is good.
Speaker 16: I recommend well, you kind of got to be into sad indie music, which is like my jam Phoebe Bridges on a soundtrack that's gonna be all me all day.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'll give it a point five for the soundtrack.
Speaker 16: All right, we got it to a point five everybody. She was at a zero for me. The worst movie I saw in May, hands down, is not only the worst movie I've seen in May, but so far probably the worst I've seen all year maybe ever. Oh, it's up there for being one of the worst movies of all time. It is unfrosted with Jerry Seinfeld.
Speaker 11: How was that a real movie? I have so many big names.
Speaker 16: I don't know how he thought this was funny to me. Jerry Seinfeld hasn't been funny. I mean, I never really found Seinfeld to be that funny. It was not my go to show.
Speaker 17: He also just said in an interview that he misses toxic masculinity and the like dominant male personality.
Speaker 11: So his really his whole terrible takes.
Speaker 16: His whole promotional run for this movie was really weird because he came out saying that movies were dead, They're not relevant anymore, and he's saying this while promoting a movie. To me, he feels like he is this authority on comedy.
Speaker 6: I get it.
Speaker 16: He was big in the nineties. He has a really big, prominent stand up career. He's very influential to people. A lot of comedians look up to him. I never found him funny.
Speaker 11: He did the ant movie that says a lot B movie, the B movie.
Speaker 16: Yeah, B movie director has opinions on what movies need to be going forwards. Ants yea, yeah, there was a Bugs Life, and there was Bugs.
Speaker 17: Life, perfect movie, no notes, Untouchable, the B movie Yes, Okay.
Speaker 6: Thank You isn't actually bad.
Speaker 11: It isn't terrible. It's a B movie though.
Speaker 16: Yeah, B movie's pretty bad. But Seinfeld as a whole I've never really been that big a fan of I know people say, oh, you don't get his comedy. He likes pointing out the mundane, Like I just think he's out of touch. I don't want to hear a billionaire tell me what is funny.
Speaker 17: The funniest person on Seinfeld was Julia Louis Dreyfus.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that's the other thing about Seinfeld. He was not the funniest part about that show.
Speaker 11: He was not.
Speaker 16: It was her and Kramer. Yeah, and I put Costanzo at third.
Speaker 11: It was not him.
Speaker 16: He was the least funny thing about Seinfeld.
Speaker 6: Carol, she's a queen of talking.
Speaker 16: She's getting You're not afraid to fail this episode, so just let it flow.
Speaker 6: No one can do. We have a care lne Is found Caroline.
Speaker 15: Hey, y'all, it's Caroline Hobby from Get Real with Caroline Hobby, And here is a clip from this week's episode.
Speaker 7: One thing your dad said to you one time.
Speaker 13: That he didn't even remember.
Speaker 7: He didn't even remember.
Speaker 15: He probably said it in the heat of him being triggered trying to get you to behave in the way he needed you to behave because you ultimately he loves you, and he thought he needed to keep you safe by keeping you in these boundaries that he thought you needed to be in, which you obviously didn't. But like he's trying to love you in the best way he knows how, but he just mess it up because it's human and it's one thing he said that shaped your whole life. Let's talk about that story, because it's just like so many of us can relate to this and giving your dad so much grace.
Speaker 13: Which I do, you know, and both of us are crying speaking this.
Speaker 7: It's apparent child relationship is so difficult.
Speaker 13: It's so difficult. I think, Yeah, I think what you just said. I'm going to go back and listen to this podcast and have my dad hear what you just said. Actually, because it's so powerful and it's so healing to acknowledge our parents for being human and at the same time, you know, owning that what happened to us was real, right, And so my dad and so I had my dad read this chapter a year ago because I had finished the book and I knew he needed to read it well in advance.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's a big one.
Speaker 13: And we didn't talk for two months. He was very upset by it.
Speaker 7: It was a big one.
Speaker 13: It's a big one. Yeah, and he wanted he was the one that wanted to talk to me, actually, but I had held a boundary and just kind of got a little messy, as parent child relationships do, even in your forties.
Speaker 7: Well in your forties is when you started to have the real.
Speaker 13: Reckoning, correct, And that's what I'm amen.
Speaker 15: It's a transition from you're not the kid anymore. You've done your work, yes, and maybe you've even healed some beyond what your dad was capable of because you have new resources.
Speaker 13: Well that's exactly what had happened. There was a reckoning. So we met for breakfast after not talking for a while, and I looking back on that moment, I know that I wrote this book like my higher self, like I said, wrote this book for many reasons. I wrote this book to heal my lineage with my dad. You know, he was so shocked and hurt that.
Speaker 7: You have no idea that you felt this way. No, because he was in survival.
Speaker 15: He wasn't survival think about Marguerite honestly bringing it back like that's his deep lineage. Yeah, and that's his survival. He probably didn't like Holocaust survivors or.
Speaker 13: His parents, his parents. Yeah, most of my family, extended family died in the Holocaust. My grandfather, his dad, my grandfather.
Speaker 7: He cave to you.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he my great grandfather did.
Speaker 7: And that's your dad's grandfather.
Speaker 15: Yeah, my dad's craved you and spoke messages over you, which is incredible.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 7: But your dad didn't have the opportunity to have this easy.
Speaker 13: No, he didn't.
Speaker 7: He experienced it was all hard.
Speaker 13: His upbringing was tougher than mine, and survival dramatically harder than mine.
Speaker 15: It's like people were like, oh, let's find some enjoyment today. Let's how can we make your day great today?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 7: Dad, Absolutely, it's like, how can you survive today?
Speaker 13: He had. And it was that breakfast, that reckoning that I realized, like, my okay, how do I say this? My dad told me in that breakfast that when I was ten years old, I pulled away from him, that I got, you know, too cool for my dad. And he never got over that.
Speaker 7: He never he didn't know how to transition, He never.
Speaker 13: Knew how to evolve, evolve. It made him sad that I am mad that I would stop wanting to hold his hand.
Speaker 15: But here's the thing I've seen this so many times. The age from nine to eleven, girls change. I've seen it with like, yeah, a firsthand. That's when you transition from the little girl into the teenager, moving on to the woman. It's a transitional time and you become a new person.
Speaker 13: I know that. But my dad's wounding care girl was gone, His little girl was gone, and I get that.
Speaker 15: I look at Sunny and I think to myself all the time, this is going to evaporate. Her littleness is gonna leave, and like, I miss it already. Yeah, and once it's gone, it's gone. You can't ever get it back. Yeah, it's only memories and it's gone. It's like disappears.
Speaker 13: And I don't think my dad again had the tools and how to reconcile that within himself.
Speaker 7: He was sad.
Speaker 13: Oh, he was so sad, and then his sadness manifested into anger.
Speaker 7: We y'all super close when you were a little.
Speaker 13: Yeah. So when I was fourteen years old, my dad and I got into a big fight, and in his fury, he told me that he was going to call me Jessica zero because I was going to amount to nothing.
Speaker 15: And he's just trying to shock you back into line. Correct, that's all I was trying to do. He's just trying to shock you back in to lines that he can control, can keep you safe.
Speaker 13: Correct, that's it, And that is exactly it.
Speaker 7: And I see parents do that all the time.
Speaker 15: That's hard to parent. And I resorted to threat sometimes. I'm like, Sonny, you're not gonna get any ice cream or.
Speaker 7: Washed iPod ever get in your life. You don't do like what in the world.
Speaker 13: So I can't relate to being a mother. I know that that is the hardest job in the world. And I said that in my book, like if you want to, if you want your ego to be brought to your knees to see how flawed you are to have a kid.
Speaker 15: But my point, you run out of and you can't get him to do what you want. You resort to all these tactics, especially if you haven't worked on your own wounds. Oh my god, the tactics that parents can resort to are so crazy because you're you got to keep your kids in line, because your things, they're going to die if stray off.
Speaker 13: And there's just trauma that forms around all of it.
Speaker 7: And you say these things and you don't even realize the impact your He.
Speaker 13: Didn't even remember that that one freaking sentence drove my entire life until I was forty. I am going to prove my dad wrong.
Speaker 7: I'm going to show him about it again. You just carried it.
Speaker 13: I just carried inside, and I was like, I'm going to prove to all I've ever wanted to do. This is why I mean, I've made a ton of money. I've had a ton of success. I've had so many third party validations with awards and media and book deals and dah dah dah dah and money in the bank and people telling me I'm awesome at my retreats, and my staff loving to work for me.
Speaker 7: Like even validating all I'm about.
Speaker 13: But underneath it all, all they wanted to do is make my dad proud of me. Was he ever being able to, Oh, he's so proud of me. He's so proud of me. But see, that's the thing he did. I didn't know that that sentence, that moment, the way that he raised me in his own unconscious stuff, especially when I was a teenager, became the like under belly hum of my entire ambition, And this whole time, my Dad's like, my daughter's amazing, tells us all of his friends about me. It comes to everything I do, like, is so proud of me and has even said it. But because I never healed it, and that's why I think it open wound.
Speaker 7: It was an open and deep open wa Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Thanks for listening to this week's Sunday Sampler. New podcast up every day of the week. There's always something new for you to listen to. Bobby Cast Four Things to Amy Brown, Sore Losers Movie, Mike's Movie Podcast, If You.
Speaker 6: Get Real with Caroline Hobby.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotta go, have a nice Sunday, Have a great week.
Speaker 2: Se