Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 1: These episodes are based on These are our stories.
Speaker 3: Done done, Hello, and welcome to That's Messed Up, a SVU podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm one of your hosts, Kara Klank and I'm Liza Traeger, and we talk SVU. We talk crimes, We have celeb guests, but first we chit chat. What's up? What just happens? Is up? Girl? Well, you and I just got back from a very fun first I'm still out on the road. You're still on the road. Well, I mean I'm back because at the TMU part of it's over, you're still doing some stand up. But we just got back from a fun first leg of our tour. We're so excited. It went really great. Everybody was so awesome. We had a I had a great time. Like we loved seeing everybody in the Carolina in North Carolina and where were the fuck else were we? Nashville was a great show. We do have one we say about Nashville.
Speaker 2: You guys, we saw a line like twenty thirty people deep trying to take photos next to angel wings painted on the side of a wall.
Speaker 1: What it's so crazy to me. I know it's for social media and whatever. We're all ill with our social media. But like in La there's like ninety of those angel wings everywhere. You can like take them, take a picture of them anywhere, And so it was weird that there was just like one set that every that are famous, that everybody wanted to go to.
Speaker 2: People were also doing it wrong, like seven people polish in front of the wings and it's like, no, the whole point is like one person stands and it looks like their wings. So like seven of you just wanted to be near the wings, not even an optical illusion.
Speaker 1: And I guess if you're from Nashville, tell us that like like Taylor Swift painted those wings or tell us like the reason why those wings are so important. But like I could not figure it out. It just seemed like you know, Instagram art on the wall.
Speaker 2: Because we went up, so we were in the gulch area and we went to brunch and it was super fine, and then we saw it, but there were a lot like our We got a hook up, but there were giant ass lines to get in the brunch. So when we see this big line, we're like, oh, I wonder what restaurant that is. And then it was like, oh, they're taking photos next to painted wings.
Speaker 1: It was upsetting. It was weird for sure.
Speaker 2: Yes, people just posted on their stories like I spilled my drink trying to take a photo of it. The internet is fucked, like we're fucked, Like we are so fucked, like nothing has happened unless you posted or something.
Speaker 1: It's I just yeah, it rubbed us the wrong way. Well listen. If you want to hear all this and more live, come see our tour. We are going out again in a couple of weeks in November. We're going to be in the Midwest, So come see us at Zany's Rosemont on November thirteenth, because unfortunately our I mean fortunately because we love the everybody that bought tickets, but the Chicago show at Zany's Downtown is sold out. So head out to the suburbs and see us in Rosemont on the thirteenth. It'll be so fun. It's like a nice big space. I really like that club. It'll be fun. And then Indianapolis will be there on the fifteenth. We'll be in Columbus on the sixteenth. We'll be in Cleveland on the seventeenth, Detroit on the eighteenth, and Madison, Wisconsin on the twentieth. And I think you can even see us do stand up both in Detroit and Madison. So well you'll see me opening for Lisa in Detroit and then Lisa solo and Madison doing great stuff with other great openers. And so if you guys are interested, that's messed up dot com. Get tickets please. We love meeting all of you, seeing all of you. We're selling tour only merch you can only get it on the tour. And you know, we just love meeting all of you guys and doing live shows. And we pick really wild, fun episodes to do that are not based on crimes, so we get to talk about some of your faves. What else, Lisa?
Speaker 2: I mean also, even though the shows are incredible, meeting everyone's incredible. Like was there a flat tire? Yes, was there a rented out vehicle not checked in by the company, but we had to get another car in another city. Yes, we're hotel rooms, not our name's not put under the room. Like honestly, you know, did we have a tech guy in one of these locations that truly I sent a formal complaint about. But like, so it is, it's just really funny. And what I think about is this quote that it might be like a fake thing where people think marily Monroe said a bunch of stuff and she hasn't. Yeah, yes, that share said I'm only difficult if you're an idiot, and I want that tattooed on my body, like truly, that's how I feel.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, if this is difficult for you, you're dumb. I don't know what to tell you. Yeah, we're not so tough. No, but obviously we had so, you know, so much fun. But I thought I would just you know, sprinkle in that sprinkling. We had fun.
Speaker 2: And then I wrote here Halloween candy murder screen shot, and I wish I knew.
Speaker 1: What that was. I can't wait for Halloween. I mean, I'm alone with my kids this weekend as a punishment for going out of town for ninety No just kidding, just my husband's going out of town, so I'm going I'm going to be alone taking them to ninety Halloween parties coming up. So that's fun. But what do you think that means your screenshot Halloween candy murder. I don't know. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, is it like all of those memes where people put things into the candy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was thinking you were talking about. When this woman goes with this amazing account that I follow, I think it's Matt XIV or whatever, was like, oh my god, please check your children's candy. I just opened mine up and found a drag Queen story Hour in my son's Snicker and it's like, it's so funny because it's like a Snicker's broken open with like a drag queen reading inside, and it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be it. I'm not really sure, but what you said you had something to tell me.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, this is so funny because I was just looking on you know, we use a lot of the Wikipedia, the Law and Order Wikipedia, like the fandom just to look at. We do some of our own research too, based on what stuff's based on. But I use this all the time, and I wanted to see what the most current episode if they were going to say it was Ariel Castro again, because the show's already done Ariel Castro, if it was something different, and they don't even actually have it listed yet episode four, but episode three, did you watch episode yet? It's like the two celebrities of this current season. Yeah yeah, that are in like a tumultuous relationship or whatever. So it's definitely based on Amber heard Johnny Depp for sure, and then Shia lah Buff. They said maybe it's based on his lawsuit with FKA Twigs. Okay, sure, I'll buy that. The third British The third bullet point says the public harassment of former British Prime Minister Boris Johnson during the Platinum Jubilee of Elizabeth the IID what. I don't think a SVU wrote an episode at all about Boris About Boris Johnson.
Speaker 2: Jubilee is a really fun word, though, it sure is. It's like one of my favorite words.
Speaker 1: I lived in Rome during like the Catholic Jubilee because I lived there in the year two thousand and I think that's like when they happen every one hundred years or something, but that it was like a huge, like millennial jubilee because it was the year two thousand and so it's where all these nuns and Catholic people like all come to Rome. So the city's like really spruced up and they're offering like, you know, extra nothing.
Speaker 2: Makes jubilee sound sad. Then putting a Catholic in front of it.
Speaker 1: I know, I know. Well the plant Jubilee of Elizabeth the second I don't think was fun either. I think it was an old lady run like parading through the streets days before she died. Yeah, they need to stop it.
Speaker 2: Jubilee means party or Cherry's jubilee right, like an ice cream flavor. Wait, you opened for Bob the Drag Queen. Do you have anything to say?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 1: It was amazing in Huntsville, Alabama. I opened for Bob the Drag Queen for two days because Lisa was not able to. Can we now talk about it? We haven't talked about it. Oh, we haven't really, No, we have not talked about this. We posted it on our Instagram. But I would like to formally brag on behalf of my co host, Lisa Trigger, who has been cast in a Netflix show starring Michelle Buteau, Survival of the Thickest. That's the reason we had to switch around some of our tour dates. Thank you for being understanding. While Lisa becomes a fam miss Hollywood celebrity. Yeah, it's been really fun and nice. Can you put a clapping sound effect in there, please? It's been really fun.
Speaker 2: I love being on a set and everyone is really talented and experienced and accomplished, and it's been fun being around everyone. And I do have a really really cute little co star in this show, but I will not reveal it yet.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that's enough. That's a tune in. That's a tune in message right there. You guys all have to watch when it comes out in the spring. Sometime. We will definitely be promoting it. But because Lisa and I got my scenes for these upcoming and they are so good, I don't know. I think your character sounds like it's gonna be wild and maybe like a little bit of a scene stealer. I'm excited, but it's really cool.
Speaker 2: Is like a few friends that I've told about this auditioned for it, and I guess and Edinburgh marsh just said like everyone was auditioning, but everyone that I had heard was like, oh, that makes sense, You're perfect for this. And like when I into the set of the character's apartment, I own multiple things in the apart I mean she's worse than me as a person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're Yeah, it's really really exciting a lot of high class things we got going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, since Lisa couldn't open for Bob, I got to open for Bob and I was happy to do that and I had a blast. We had so much fun. We went to after both shows, we went to the gay Bar in Huntsville, Alabama, and one night we did karaoke and another night we did trivia. It was so fun. I mean, I had a great time, and I don't really think I have any other tea about that. It was just Bob's awesome and like so funny and professional. He kept going clink clink, clink clink, and like hitting glasses. That's key. Yeah. But I also thank you to the many Boston listeners who told us that that when I told that story about Clink the Bar, that it's because it used to be a jail. I should definitely go check it out there. That makes a lot of sense that was coming through the Cliank.
Speaker 2: I also wanted to do a shout out to Garcel Bouvet, who's also in this Netflix show. I am not yet. Yeah, well, I have not Mega either. I did meet Peppermint, which was thrilling. But did you you or you're caught up on Bravo? Did you watch the Real Housewives Reunion two or no?
Speaker 1: Not yet? Yes? Caught up? Caught up, caught up.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm I've been a Kyle apologist for this whole time, and I'm always like, yeah, but i'd want to hang out her house or fuck Kyle. I am no longer on her side in any capacity. No wonder, your sisters don't want to fucking talk to you. There's a reason you're not invited to your family events, and go fuck yourself and anyway, for me, it's team Garcel all the way, and I'm disgusted by the rest of the ladies. Andy apologized this week to his treatment of Garcel too, because hopefully he realized it. He did, he had to. How do you not apologize? Garcela is talking about her near run in with Bill, who tried to fucking slip her a drink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 2: Then she's talking about her book, and we're talking about her son, and it's all about Lisa Ena and recycling and this and that, and they zoomed on Garcel's face and she just looked so hurt, and yeah, fuck all of them, Fuck.
Speaker 1: All of them.
Speaker 2: You are all racist. You are all racist. You can they can all deny it. Garcel can say they're not racist. But if this happened to another fourteen year old child that was not a black child, there's no way they would be treating the situation of the online trolls this kind of casually and telling Garcel how she should act or not when someone said horrific things.
Speaker 1: No, it's very shitty, and I honestly could be. You could restart the whole show just around Garcel, and I guess maybe they'd keep Sutton because they're close, But like, you could restart the whole cast around Garcel and I would watch like she's She's a top tier housewife to me, and she should not have been fucking treated that way. Here's what I will say about those. I think a fan bought those. To be honest, I don't think Diana is smart enough to do that.
Speaker 2: Diana doesn't have fans, no, no, no, just regular fan, a racist fan of the show, like you know, just like to cause chaos and be psycho.
Speaker 1: I just don't think Diana smart enough for that shit to be honest or employs anyone smart enough really, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if she's also like a human trafficker like they've accused her of, then who knows.
Speaker 1: What Waite I didn't even know about that. Fuck? Are we getting into Sbu territory now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah? Because do you know that book?
Speaker 2: She had people claim that that book is actually a catalog for people you can have sex right.
Speaker 1: And pay for.
Speaker 2: And I also just it bothers me when people act so snooty and rich and entitled, when it's like you married into that money, yeah you did not, like you know, Yolanda was like this too, where it's like, oh on, it's like you're trap.
Speaker 1: You're a grifter.
Speaker 2: You're a sexy grifter who grifts a rich lives. Like, I don't know why you're acting like you're classy. I think sexy grifter might be merch. I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 1: That's a great idea, a tank top that says sexy grifter, give it, Okay, yeah, I would love that. I'll take it. No. But I also with.
Speaker 2: The Diana thing where they're like they're trying to say that evil is a worse word than the sea word. And this is an old mulaney joke, but it's like, how about the word you can't even say out loud? Yeah, probably the worst word them all, saying that it's worse to be called evil than cunt?
Speaker 1: Like what, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why you're not even saying you're saying the sea wordy?
Speaker 1: I just and suttons upon.
Speaker 2: But I heard Garcel had like huge and I heard it because I watched all the Bravo cons stuff, but everyone was team Garcel. Everyone was shouting for her, and I think this least I hope.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for part three. I mean, I think is in a renaissance.
Speaker 2: We have like Salt Lake, Beverly Hills, Potomac, swinter House, so all together, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, everything's running on all cylinders over at Bravo. For sure. I will say the problem with fucking Kyle and always has been a problem with her and a lot of the women on Beverly Hills, but doesn't seem to be a problem for Garcel is that they hide shit, They do not say things. Everything feels like there's something, you know, the thing I told you that we can't stay on camera, you know what? I mean, like everything feels like Kyle is like it's like, Kyle, if you have shit about Kathy or whatever, just fucking say it on the show. Why are you here if you don't say it on the show, because then you're the one sitting there going that's why we come on the show to do our lives. Say it, say it, say it. And then like she never says anything.
Speaker 2: You know, not only that, I saw this online where it's like she's so mad that Crystal won't say what Sutton said, but Lisa, Renna is not saying what Kathy said.
Speaker 1: Well, is that not a problem. I will say though that I think that Crystal. I think what our friend Julia thinks is that Chris protecting Ston and that she does have a specific thing and she's not saying it. So fine, I'm fine to let her do that. And I think that Renna has said a couple of things. She said Jeri, it's a useless idiot. She said, I'll ruin Bravo and take Kyle down in her old family a Bravo. I mean she's given a couple specifics, right, Yeah, But.
Speaker 2: It's also like you're acting like you care about your sister and you're letting Renna do all this, like cut Renna out, slam her down, Like why is your aggression towards Crystal and not towards Lisa, Renna, Yeah, who is destroying your relationship with your sister?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that she has a fucked up relationship with her sister. And that's why I love my sister so much. Like if my sister, If if Renna came in and said your sister had a full breakdown, I would like walk off and be like, we're not doing this on camera. Like I would just be like, we're not doing this, and instead she goes, Guys, I feel kind of uncomfortable. Can we stop? Like it's so mealy mouthed all of it, and if it was, if you really loved your sister. But I think that the truth is what she said to Erica was I'm glad the world is seeing what's up with Kathy.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that people are seeing and that's it. That's why she's not going after Rinnash. She wants people to see my sister Kim is an alcoholic who's abusive to me. My sister Kathy is a power hungry, hungry freak who's abusive to me. She wants everyone to see it and so she can be Kyle the victim. But it's like the way she's going about it looks so slimy and like, yeah, I'm done with her. I think that, but I don't know. Andy probably won't get rid of her, but no, because people like her.
Speaker 2: But it is like Erica is a full blown piece of shit and we're all pretending everything's fine and taking all this aggression out on the not white people. It's weird. It is fucking weird. Yeah, and yeah, it just.
Speaker 1: Bothers me and even the fans online are like why does everything have to be turned to race?
Speaker 2: It's not race? And at least and is like I can't go after Garson. It's like, but you are these micro like you are. There's no way you would treat Jack's the way you're treating him if he was like not a black child.
Speaker 1: It really, oh, completely no, there's like a there's like a phenomenon or like an epidemic of like black boys get treated older, you know, And that's like, yeah, you never would have said that to like, I know, Jagger's much younger, but like if Jagger was twelve or fourteen at a party, porch fuck out of here? You know.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine if any of this was about Porsche, Kyle's daughter, Like, oh, Porsche, yes.
Speaker 1: When you first said that, I was like, Porsha Williams, Yes, Oh my god. If Porsche was at like a party and came out to get flowers and someone goes, get the fuck out of here, Kyle would lose her goddamn mind and it would be warranted. In here, We're just like, why didn't you protect it? Why don't you do that? It's like, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I'm on the schedule to well, I'm supposed to hopefully I meet Garcels soon and I will have something to say to you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have to wait till the but you just when you meet her should just be like I'm team you all the way, like well, because it's funny because the hair and makeup and everyone said that, like she finished with bravokhn and went straight to work on this show, and that she was telling the ladies like I didn't realize this was such a big deal, Like I think she was didn't realize how many people would show up to Bravo Khan and cheer for her, like I think she was surprised by the fandom, which is shocking to me. This also feels like this year Bravokn like turned like this was a year that bravokan like everybody was posting about it. I mean, obviously we had pandemic. I don't know like that they even did it last year, but they did it other years and it felt like, oh, that's a cute thing to go to if you want, and you can like get autographs or whatever. But like now it's like people are doing panels and revealing shit, and they're dropping announcements about casts, and there's all these like you can be in like a video where you're on a below deck ship, like all these like installations, and BRAVOKN just feels like it like took it. It stepped its pussy up this year, you know, puts it up. But we are not a Bravo podcast, and I do think we have to start our episode. I do.
Speaker 2: I also wanted to say that we did go to cookout in the South and Kara is not impressed it.
Speaker 1: For me, I asked for a Casa Dia. They did put chicken in it, so I couldn't eat it. I did really like the Casada sauce that's got a kick, but I was like, this is good fried food. It wasn't really blowing my mind. And my milkshake was like cement that would not come through the straw, and I was eating it like ice cream, and I stopped halfway because I was like, this isn't even very good ice cream. So I'm sorry. I don't want to be a snob or anything. I just I think I'm gonna stick with Taco Bell and Burger King. Those are my two mains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we couldn't even get Taco Bell because in Atlanta the line.
Speaker 1: Was like forty cars deep. It was wild. Okay, he's about to throw up six more flags. We have to go, But we have a great episode for you guys here it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, So today's episode is Bullseye, Season twelve, Episode two.
Speaker 1: What does Bullseye make you think of? Archery? Yeah? Me too? Darts? I wonder if anyone thinks anything else. All Right, we're here, We're at a bar. Here, we're doing bulls eye. We're at a readega.
Speaker 2: There's a woman stocking shelves and she's digging in a box. But also the shelves are fully stocked, Like where is she putting the contents of this box?
Speaker 1: It is a tight bodega, very uh, but you know if anybody can fit more in. It's a bodega. Like bodegas are like there's like toilet paper up to the ceiling. I mean they're really doing it. They are doing it. So she's stocking the shelves and she's bent over and a man is approaching her and purposely is getting super close and then thrust his stck onto her and she he jumps and turns around and he's like, oh, didn't see you there, sorry, and she's like third time this week and then he grabs her really hard. I was taken aback. This is like too soon. This is where I don't like this, and says you don't want to be a bitch to me, and she says, let go of me. Dennis, and the fact that his name is Dennis, it really ups this to a more horrific level. I would say, do you know my uncle Dennis at my brother's wedding introduced himself to like three of my siblings when we've known him our entire lives. Yeah, Like he was like hello, Dennis and said his last name. We were like, what, like, we've known you forever. Did you call him out? I don't think so. I don't even think it's a I don't even as far as I know, there's no like, you know, dementia or anything going on. It was just like he's a little bit weird.
Speaker 2: I don't he's just trying to shade you guys, like he's like, purpose, sorry, you're Maybe he has prosopagnosia face blindness. That reminds me of the Sex in the City scene where Carrie has really disturbed. This woman is giving her dirty and Charlotte.
Speaker 1: Goes, maybe it's Bell's palsy.
Speaker 2: I carry us to go it's not Bell's poalsy. Whatever, So fuck Dennis. And he looks aggressive. I did look him up. He's been working. He's been in a lot of Amy Schumer vehicles, train Wreck Inside Amy Schumer and life and.
Speaker 1: Beth Oh, maybe he's part of her theater collective. Maybe yeah, And she gives a lot of her the old like theater friends work and his name is Rock Yeah, so that's pretty cool. So then she goes, there's a customer and we see a kid walk in and he says that him and the boss are tight, and she's like, wow, if I tell the boss you let people eat the merchandise. And it's like, don't knark on this kid, like you know what I mean. It's just it's a rock in a hard place.
Speaker 2: It's like be sexually harassed her, you know, give up this homeless kid or something. And he's and so he turns around and starts yelling at this kid and put that back, and here you pay first and then you eat, and that it's not unique to your store.
Speaker 1: I like how he was like, in here, you pay in here. Yeah, it's like everyone knows how that works. So he grabs her to turn her around, and she looks stunned and super scared, and she's breathing deep and you can tell there's shock in her eyes. I wonder if in his head he's like, maybe I'll just let her eat this. And then he's extra shocked because she has blood going down her leg. But she's scared, sweaty and crying. Cut to the hospital and we have the doctor that is one hundred percent Baywatch surfer vibe that one. Yeah, very eligible bachelor, Like if there was like, uh, you know a New York Magazine's like one hundred most eligible bachelors. I feel like he would be one of them.
Speaker 2: And he says there's intense vaginal trauma, not good hematoma, and both risks, probably from being held down. She's ten years old. Benson asks rape kit. They go, not yet.
Speaker 1: They just got the blood to stop, so this is pretty dramatic. He also tells Benson and Stabler that she's dehydrated, malnourished, and her arm is limited mobility, so he thinks that was a break that just wasn't treated. So this kid is really not being paid attention to and anyway, and they look through the blinds to see the patient in the room the detectives, and he says, good luck finding who did this because she won't say a word. And then it's like, okay, they haven't met Olivia Benson. Yeah, you obviously haven't met the child whisperer.
Speaker 2: So she walks in. She goes, I'm Olivia, this is Elliott. We're police officers. But she's hoping that you know, tell us what happened to you before you got to the store, and maybe that'll make you feel better.
Speaker 1: And she is visibly stressed by that. And starts shifting away, and he asked if someone said like not to talk to people and that something bad would happen, because he goes, that's not true.
Speaker 2: And if this girl looks familiar to you and you watch Nurse Jackie, this is Grace, one of Edie Falco's daughters in that shit, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I love Grace too. Like she was the one that had like anxiety, and like that was a cool storyline. I thought for like this to show like little kid having anxiety. I just felt like I hadn't seen that, Like she just had like generalized anxiety and was always like doing kind of weird stuff that like was a manifestation of her anxiety. And I like that her character a lot, and she was a great kid actor. Yeah, I don't remember that storyline at all.
Speaker 2: I don't really remember that show outside of her doing drugs and fucking that pharmacist. So Benson is like, I bet you have such a pretty name.
Speaker 1: Let me know it. I'm sure your parents are worried sick about you.
Speaker 2: And then the nurse rolls in a cart of supplies and says it's it's time to start the kid, and the girl sees the camera and she flips the fuck out, and Benson says, what's up, and she cries and says he took pictures of me. Benson looks concerned, Elliott makes a face that conveys like, damn, the world is so evil, and then the credits we open back up on a photo of the girl and Cragan's voice saying, your little victim, which sounds off to me.
Speaker 1: I don't, I don't. I don't think you be saying that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Elliot's like, I mean, Benson turned on all her charm and nothing. This kid said nothing, even with you know, Olivia giving it at her all. But Benson's like, this motherfucker, he took pictures of her while he raped her. But there's no fluids or fibers in the rape kids, so this is going to be a tough investigation.
Speaker 1: And she doesn't match any girls.
Speaker 2: In missing persons and Craigan asks what kind of parents don't report their kid missing? And Stabler goes one that keeps her locked away all fucking night. I think it's the dad doing this and Craigan and where did that come from? But Craigan's like, okay, let's slow down there. I'm with him, let's id the girl. Benson says, well, we can't release it to the media because in the purpose going to run for the hills. Elliott says, well, the bleeding girl couldn't get that far without someone noticing her. So let's, you know, let's see if she lives close to the market. Craigan goes, maybe the census data can help us. And now they have a census data feature on their computer and they tape in female ten white and it's searching and it finds dozens and dozens of kids. So they grab fin in munch and hit the streets and they go talk to the neighborhood and we hear a lot of no, no, No, no No.
Speaker 1: One of the no's is a fun gay man whose husband is away dropping their daughter at summer camp. I loved it.
Speaker 2: And the whole time he's talking, he's holding a giant guinea pig. I have never seen a guinea pig this big. It is so big, and so it makes me like guinea pigs because I know, I think they're irrelevant, like do they even exist anymore?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, people love those things. They're all over TikTok and Instagram reels and stuff. Oh really well. I'm like, I'm like showing when Oscar's having a real meltdown, I'm showing him baby animal pictures because he really loves looking at like little videos of like goats and like little cows, and you know, there's all kinds of baby animal photos and there's a lot of accounts that have like millions of followers. And the guinea pigs are in there. They are working. The guinea pigs are the hedgehogs, they're in there working. Well, yeah, the hedgehogs. I'm glad the guinea pigs.
Speaker 2: I mean, because I thought maybe only kids have them, because I haven't seen a guinea pig since childhood, so I didn't know if they were just like not anymore. But this one was giant and fuzzy and I loved it, And I'm glad they're on TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's good. You know what's having a moment on tikso or the internet. Sloths. Oh well, but slots have been having a really big moment for like five years. Like when I had rosy three and a half years ago, i got three sloth levees. Like sloths were like having a big They're so cute, like you know, and like there's a sloth. Characters in use Zutopia like yeah, oh yeah, the DM slots are the DMB but their claws are so big? Are they dangerous or are they slow? Like I thin, great question. I keep seeing people. The things I'm seeing are like people handing their babies to like they lose a little baby sloth and so they reunite. They like, give you've not seen it? So then they show the mom sloth the baby sloth and it's like the mom gets so excited and then needs to be on the baby animal sites. I'm on, what the hell?
Speaker 2: And so I've seen a couple videos like that where people will like pick up the kid and give it back to the sloth and the sloth does look happy, but their talent Like if I see a sloth in the wild, can I approach or am I gonna get?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But how fast do they even swipe? Is it just like a slow dragging?
Speaker 2: Okay, Sloths to become agitated or feel threat and may use their teeth or long nails to cause pain.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I would not agitate that little slot, but I don't want to agitate. But what if I gave it a celery stock, you know what I mean. I'm sure if you come bearing food, it's not gonna swipe that.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. There's so many tangents. We're only in the ax one. But so when I was in Australia, we got to meet koalas.
Speaker 1: That's like, what you do, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we went to this animal place and then we're waiting in line and we're with the group and they're giving us instructions. They're like, don't shake the tree, don't make this, don't make that, like all these things, and then the koala is right there and we could have taken photos right next to the kuala and then this dumb bitch woman and her kid are like shaking the tree, being loud, being noisy, and so the koala climbed up, and so all of our photos are like from below and the kualas above us. But also these bitches were Australian and it's like, you can come here all the time.
Speaker 1: Know we came from across the fucking planet. Let us be near it.
Speaker 2: And it's like you broke every rule, and I wait, I wish I punched them in the face. Honestly, like we were the it was Emily Heller was there too, so you know we were like pissed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh god, that's awful. Well, Oscar's been saying koala lately, he says, kalalaka.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I told you one of our friends was so wasted that they couldn't guess Koala on the heads up game, which is so easy, so easy.
Speaker 1: So I'm very into the s guinea pig.
Speaker 2: Obviously we've we went on a tangent that took us to a lot of places. But Munch is not impressed, and Munch is like, people eat those in Peru and then he walks away. So there's a kid's club and they go to this kids club. No one recognizes this girl. They go to a pizza shop. Can't I d her?
Speaker 1: But the pizza guy is passionate and he's like, fuck, man, I wish I could help you.
Speaker 2: And he goes asks Gina, and Gina's holding the pizza delivery pouch, so she's out in them streets and so she says she's seen this girl lots of times. She's always in the doorway when Gina delivers a pie to her folks, but never says anything, and she knows the address and the apartment number off the top of her head, and she says she's sure the girl lives there.
Speaker 1: And I don't even know my sister's address and apartment number off the top of my head, Like that's why I well.
Speaker 2: I was actually just thinking this because like now we have postmates, so they don't remember, like it's always someone different. But if you ordered a pizza, let's say, once a week every week.
Speaker 1: For three years, maybe they'd know. Yeah, yeah, like Friday night, pizza night, like you're always doing it. Yeah, you're right, like if it's the local a lot of times when you have the same delivery person, yeah, yeah. Or because even the episode we did all to Cockers was like, oh the deli delivery guy did this for me, you know, it was like you had some sort of relationship with these people, right and now they now now they leave the food outside the door on the floor, and it's like, I feel like a little raccoon. I just like scurrying your garbage. Oh yeah, I think I said this on the poto a long time when I was staying with Julia in Lane. I opened it and I was topless and the guy was still there taking a photo. That he to prove me delivered the food. Oh my god, that's so funny. Yeah, I just don't like being fully closed, like I need either to the bottle if you like sent you the photo, it's like you tits out with like a bag of food on the ground and he's like, your delivery's here.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so but this girl says a boy lives there too, that she's heard his voice. So we arrive at Jeff and Amber Semanski's house on East twenty eighth Street and it's September for so they found her right after my birthday.
Speaker 1: Which doesn't really make sense if the guy was taking his daughter to summer camp. But go on, oh my god. I immediately thought, oh, okay, so it's like June because of camp camp starts in June, or if you go mid session, it starts in July, but it doesn't start September. Oh my god. They should have said pick up from summer camp. And even then August thirty first is late to be at camp. That's such god.
Speaker 2: Love date plot holes, well or any plot holes, because this is such a meticulous like I'll our guess say, well oiled machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when we're able to like fenangle in. I know that we have a.
Speaker 2: True problem, true true problem. So NYPD open up, yell stabler. Benson leans to the door and says she can hear the TV.
Speaker 1: Let's go. We know you're home.
Speaker 2: We hear daddy, no stop, And so they kick down the door, enter guns first.
Speaker 1: They yell and nobody reacting.
Speaker 2: Now we can hear their voices and it's like they're not hiding or pretending to not be home. They're fully chit chatting, like the cops didn't just kick their door. And we walk in finally, and it's a couple playing video games and it's a snow filled land with gothic leather freaks fighting dragons. So that's the game. If if we have any gamers out there that know what game this is based on or anything. The woman says, hold on, Caleb, Mommy's coming. And they keep playing and they look like slobs. Okay, greasy vibes, have not showered in a minute. Yeah, And he looked familiar and it's because I recently rewatched Downloaded Childs and we covered that and he played Megan Fay.
Speaker 1: He's like the ex husband who would rape her. Oh yes, who like admitted to marital rate. Yes, apps absolutely, and so two episodes in both times playing a fucking slob.
Speaker 2: Which is interesting. But also, did you watch the White Lotus season two trailer? No, our girl Megan Fayhe is in the trailer.
Speaker 1: She's in She's yeah, like, she has like two three scenes in the trailer. Ooh, I'm excited for her, and she looks gorgeous and like the whole I just oh my god, I cannot wait.
Speaker 2: I kind of yes, I'm so excited. Okay, I just love television. Did you watch There was a video clip of Diane Keaton on Oprah. It was like the first and she goes.
Speaker 1: I just love to watch my TV. I like to watch the television and.
Speaker 2: Everyone's shitting on her, and I'm like, thank god for Diane key and yeah, I love watching TV.
Speaker 1: I'm not ashamed. Get away from me. I feel like she's laughing so hard and she's just like unabashedly like, yes, TV is my hobby, That's what I do. And I was like, girl, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, stop shaming me, bitch. And I feel like I'm outside enough. I get to watch as much TV as I want. So Benson looks so confused and horrified and can't understand what's happening, which says a lot considering she has seen it all.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they are fully not hearing the.
Speaker 2: Detectives, and so Benson starts pulling out or it's trying to unplug the consoles and shut the TV down, And finally they're.
Speaker 1: Like, whoa where did you come from? And Stabler yells the real world? What does it find out? What's the real world MTV slogan when people stop being polite and start getting real Yeah, thank you, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So he pushed the lazy boy forward and makes the man fly up and he's like, this.
Speaker 1: Is level twenty and our boy needs.
Speaker 2: Us, and Benson pushes the woman forward, like start moving and says, the way you treat kids, he's better off without you, lady.
Speaker 1: Caleb.
Speaker 2: The computer child dies and falls off the snowy ledge and Benson walks the man into interrogation and he's like, listen, I really got to get back, and Benson's like, wow, that game really has you buy the balls?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: And he's like, I'm not even addicted, and Benson schools is as like, babe, you're sweating and so uh you stink like, you haven't bathed in a month, You're a junkie. He says, no, Ambers has the problem. I can stop whenever. And then Amber is telling Stabler how they met a year ago online and a tournament hosted in South Korea. Okay, worldly and he had the cutest avatar and only lived three blocks away. And Stabler's like, hey, that's fate. So then they started playing twenty four to seven after she won her settlement from the city in May, and so they're doing a classic back and forth interrogation room and then Jeff says that Amber got hit by a bus. They were on their way to Best Buy to get in line to buy a new game, and he's like, the sound of her head made it when it's hits the ground.
Speaker 1: He like remembers the sound that her head made when I hit the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't mean to laugh, but I'm like so upset by hearing that. And imagine, yeah, that I'm smiling. That is a bad quality of mine. Like if I'm uncomfortable with sad news, I will just smile. And it's like fucked up. And but I don't think a lot of people do that. Yeah, but it's fucked like I feel like like I should be in that movie Smile that came out.
Speaker 1: Fuck, Karen saw it. Did he like it? Dave? That's Dave Mazzoni's friend is the lead, and he said, he said he had some problems with it, but it was good and he liked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to see pr God, there's just so much goodness out. Got to see Barber I mean, the movies are well.
Speaker 1: He saw Barbarian and he loved that. I know, I can't wait. And you know, our fellow exactly right, Buddy Banana's podcast host kurb ronald Or is in Barbaria. Someone did tell me that. Yeah, I can't wait. Oh my god, he's fine. Oh my god. Okay, so many good movies.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they were on their way to the Best Buy and then her head hit the ground after getting hit by a bus. Eke did not want to imagine that. That's what I wrote, like it does. It's an upsetting into envision and Benson's like, well, I wish you cared it all about your what your child has been through, and he says, callabill be okay, and she yells it, says, I'm talking about your real child. And then he shows uh. She shows a photo of Rose to him and he says, that's not his kid. She calls me daddy sometimes, but some other dude knocked up Amber, and so Benson sternly says, okay, fine, so you're just her stepdad that keeps her locked underneath the stairs, who throws her pizza crust every now and then when you get bored, you go in there and rape her. And that's when he snaps into reality and he's like, wait, what Rose escaped? Like he had no idea she was gone. That's a little attention they paid to this girl. And then he's like, so she ran away and somebody raped her. And Benson leans in with her hands on the table and Lolly says, not somebody, but you, Jeff, you raped her, and he says, pause the game. I haven't had sex with anybody in like six months at least. And Amber also is like, I have a daughter named Rose somewhere, but this photo is not her. But this is not my daughter, but this girl has been living in our apartment. So she's denying this as her daughter, but is agreeing that this girl does live with her.
Speaker 1: So Elliot's like, all.
Speaker 2: Of you know, as the viewers were like, wait, what.
Speaker 1: What's going on here? You know, Neil Bhaer, what are you throwing at us? What are you giving us now?
Speaker 2: And so the mom is like, but she's an impostor, and she's like yeah. She says all these stories about my daughter and like what you used to do before, Jeff. She even calls me mommy, and it's like this bitch is not putting it together. And Stabler is like, yeah, because this girl is your daughter, and she rips the photo and half them screams, stop, no, this is not my daughter Rose. So then Stabler doesn't know what to do, so think God. George Hwang came in on his lunch break from the FBI, and in the spy window says that it appears she's suffering from Capgris's delusion, rare mental disorder where patients suddenly believe that their loved ones have been replaced by duplicates. Benson and Stabler look at each other quick like cartoon characters, then back at Huang, who continues that it's like the movie Invasion of the Body Snatcher, but no pods, just the head injury that severed her emotional responses to her child.
Speaker 1: So and it's funny that we just I look this up when I was watching the episode, And it's funny that we just I just mentioned prosopagnosia face blindness, because there are some theories that think that these two are linked. Like when you suddenly develop like a face blindness or something so you don't recognize people that are close to you or in your life, you know that sucks and cousins, they're distance cousins, these two weird disorders. Yeah, oh okay, so the disorders are cousins. Yes.
Speaker 2: Benson is like, oh damn, this must have happened to her after she got hit.
Speaker 1: By the bus.
Speaker 2: He's like, you know, she can see the girl looks and sounds like her daughter Rose, but her ability to feel any love for her is gone, and that could fuel the indifference to the stepfather fucking raping her.
Speaker 1: And Benson is like, what about the guy? And Huang's like, besides an Internet addiction, he's just a jerk. So how do we get the mom to flip on Jeff? And Huang says there's a visual disconnect. So Benson's like, oh, but maybe if she hears her without seeing her, that might help her remember her daughter. So Rose starts talking over the intercom and the mom smiles and he's like, is that really you? And she goes, yeah, it's really me, and the mom gets happy and wants to see her, but Stabler's like, no, just listen, and she says, tell them what Jeff did to me, how he hurt me. She says, oh, baby, I'm sorry. Where did you go? I went looking for you. He put me in that room and nobody gave me any food. She says, sweetheart, I didn't know, and Jeff said you were fine, and then some other girl came to stay with us. Why did you stop loving me, she asked, and she says, no, I love you with all my heart.
Speaker 2: And then you know, you know, Rose says I love you too, And finally Rose can't like she runs in and Benson tries to stop her, but can't.
Speaker 1: I guess this kid, you.
Speaker 2: Know, can out maneuver Olivia Benson and runs in and so she hugs Amber and Amber's like, you are not my daughter and pushes her off of her. I don't know what kind of psychological trauma this is gonna do for Rose.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: Rose is crying and screaming like yes, I am, Yes, I am. And then oh my god, this bitch slaps Rose across the face and screams, you tricked me, you a little bit.
Speaker 1: You are not my daughter. And Rose is crying and Benson's trying to console and help her. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And now Rose and Benson are chatting in a room and she asks, what's gonna happen to my mom? And Benson's like, Rose, your mom is very sick and she let your stepdad do bad to you.
Speaker 1: But he well, we're gonna lock him up.
Speaker 2: He won't do anything ever again to you and he'll never make you bleed. And she says that wasn't him, and Benson confirms, and she says the other man hurt me down there. So Benson's like, so after he ran away from the apartment, She's like, I was so hungry, I ran away to get something to eat, and that's when the other man grabbed me. And Benson asked if she remembers what he looked like, and she says he had something over his face, but his voice was mean. And Benson asks where it happened and she says in the jungle gym area at laughing time. So that's the kids club that they were at earlier, who said they did not recognize Rose, So what's up?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: So now we're on a blow up screen of Laugheytime's website and Munch is chatting about it. He says it's a magical land of fun in games and sexual assault, and Stabler says he was there yesterday and showed Rose's picture to the owner, who said, you know, she doesn't remember her. Then Munch says, well, did this lady mention that she has a PERV on the payroll? And he found some reviews on the site and one uh says that don't go to Lafey Time. There's a guy who touches kids. So they immediately speed over there and the lady's like, oh, hello again. Any luck finding the girl who is attacked, and Sabler says, well, we found her name, and now we need help finding another one from you. And Benson asks what men work at Laughey Time and she says they have no male employees because it works out best to only have women around the kids. And right as she lies, a giant grown man is running with the kids and they're like, well, who's that and they all run towards him, she says, that's Stuart, and Stuart is played by Adrian Martinez and Tommy Prolific. So the big thing with him is he's in the episode of Sex and the City. Remember when Samantha does.
Speaker 1: The naked photo shoot and Buster.
Speaker 2: What's his name? What's his real name? I never remember his real name? Gary and Buster like his characters, Tony Hale's in this episode.
Speaker 1: Buster for Tony Hale. Yeah, Tony Hale's in this Sex and the City as well.
Speaker 2: So Samantha has a naked photo shoot and then she wants attention for it and the framer won't give her at ten time, so then she hangs it by the door and Adrian Martinez delivers her fast food and then he sees the photo and goes nice ass, and then she tips some extras him more cash. So that really makes me happy. And he's also an inside me Schumer and I feel pretty So he.
Speaker 1: Looks very familiar to me. I looked him up.
Speaker 2: But this is the second Schumer connect in this episode. Oh remember Rock from up Top the Bodego New Yorkers.
Speaker 1: New Yorkers. Schumer is one of the only shows that shot that shoots in New York in the past, Like, you know, I like along with this one.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know this about me nothing new, But I love people that don't move to LA like I really do. I love people that are just crushing it on the East Coast. But yeah, he has one hundred and seventeen credits. So all the adults come at Stewart and he starts screaming in sits down and the employee women is like, don't hurt Stewart. And finally, Stuart's a funny name. It reminds me of Mad TV. Yeah, sure, and finally confesses that it is her son. And he friends very childlike and it's obvious he is intellectually disabled. So he's like, hey, are you taking me to jail or what? And they're like, it depends where were you two nights ago? And he says he was at church Tuesday night and he loves church because God loves him. And he says that a lot of people saw him at church and he was with his mom. But you won't believe me because I'm a registered sex offender.
Speaker 1: And Stabler asks her.
Speaker 2: Is that true, and she's like, yes, technically, but it's a mistake and Benson's like, so is having him around kids? That's a felony. And the mom says, my boy is different. It's called Noonan syndrome. And so they asked how he got on the registry. So he was a bat boy for a softball league in Central Park and the bathroom lines were long, and so he pede in the bushes and then Stewart interrupts to say people saw his wi wi and then the mom says it was a simple mistake, but a parent said that he flashed people and you know kids, YadA YadA, and.
Speaker 1: So there we go. That's that. That's how I got.
Speaker 2: There needs to be a separate registry. There should be a piss red street and a sexistry.
Speaker 1: The eye was pissing registry seems like it's very long, Like yeah, like what the fuck? Because if you're drunk and you pissed and your like a closed school, you can get on the sex of frond of registry. I think even if it's like nighttime and there's like you're in a school zone. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think you should piss on a school, but I think it's different than ray.
Speaker 1: I don't think that means you need to tell your neighbors that you touch children. Yeah, like it's kind of it is. Why why do we leave that? I don't know?
Speaker 2: Oh, and then Benson's like, listen those reviews, Like we don't like the review on the website.
Speaker 1: It's troubling. She says she tried to delete them, but hey.
Speaker 2: But she said it must be the same people that put these around the neighborhood, and then shows Benson a paper sign with her son's photo and inn red think font says, I touch kids at Laughey time and it's from CoAP Citizens Organized Against Predators And they know one of these concerned citizens, Eric Weber and Eric at Weber, was an episode right before this with Joan Cusack called Locum and then this one. So they know who he is and he has seventy five episodes of Loss and fifty seven other credits.
Speaker 1: Do you know this man? No? I only know him from this episode? Okay, cool.
Speaker 2: So they go visit him and he's teaching kids karate while yelling kick block, et cetera. The detectives interrupt him to chat and someone takes over the class and he wants to fuck Olivia and is very happy to see her and they confront him and the sign, and he's like, what did we do something wrong? The community should know if there's a creep in the neighborhood. They say the wanted signs aren't the best way to go about it, but he says, this is info that's easily found on the internet, so it's not like a secret. And then he starts chatting over like about an app that helps find creeps all around us and it's called purv Pointer's I love.
Speaker 1: That, okay.
Speaker 2: So Stabler actually understands Nuance in this moment wildly, and he says, not all offenders are alike. That's nice, and he is, but this guy's a hardcore vigilante and that's that. And he wants to keep tabs on these creeps. And then he says that he can reach. So he says that he has further reached than the police because in theory, they have to follow the rules. But we all know the police do not follow rules. But in this world, the cops are doing it by the book. So they show him a photo of Rose and say, like, if you want to help us, show people this photo after class. But why does like why show the photo of Rose around like they've identified her, they know who she is, Like, yeah, why would they?
Speaker 1: Yeah that's a great quest. Why if you want to help us show people this photo after class to be like did you see her get taken away by someone the night before? Like that's so weird. You're right, it just seems like you're telling everyone about this kid getting right to a bunch of kids that you're teaching karate to. Do you know this kid? Like you know? Like is that who you? Yeah? I don't get that.
Speaker 2: But Benson hands him her card and he asks her for her sal and she says the precinct's fine, but he wants to take her out for coffee, obviously, and she rolls her eyes, but she enjoys the attention. And Munch Finn are out looking for evidence in the Laffe time area and a kid with ice cream on his face and a cone in his hand hops out of a bush and is like, what's up?
Speaker 1: What are you looking for? I love him?
Speaker 2: I do too, and they say get out of here, it's a crime scene, and then he goes, I don't feel good and then he pukes.
Speaker 1: So no crime scene and no hits off the photo? Now what? So?
Speaker 2: A TV news crew is ready to attack, and a reporter puts a mic in their faces and is like, what can you tell us? And they're not interested in talking and they start walking away. But then the reporter takes out a photo of Rows and says, are you denying this child who was raped in this neighborhood? And our detectives are obviously pissed off, like how dare you reveal a victim publicly like that and a child? And Benson grabs the photo and says, how did you get this? You know you shouldn't be revealing a victim's face, and sailors like I know who fucking did this? And then the reporter's like just a reminder, folks, we are live on air. And Benson is like, good, we just stopped you from violating a victim's right and she says you violated the freedom of the press. And they walk into the office and Craigan's like great performance, you two, and Craigan's like go down there, and Benson's like, I'm not apologizing, and he says, no, another little girl was raped a upsetting done dumb. We're on the scene of a new crime and a woman is there saying that Maddie had swim class at the y and she walks in the corner and gets picked up, and then the mom is like, fuck, why wasn't I on time? And when she arrived, her daughter was on the curb bleeding and crying. And Benson is talking to the girl who is in a stretcher, and she's like, you sure you didn't see his face? And then she says, Mandy, he can't hurt you, no matter what he says, and then we see Mandy as really deep bruises on her arm.
Speaker 1: She says she.
Speaker 2: Didn't see his face because he had a mask and it was dark in there except when he took her picture. She says she tried to make it stop, and as they're speaking with her, the mom runs over towards her and they all keep chatting, but then Stabler sees Eric Weber and he does not like it. The whole organization there is there. There's a whole group of people. But Stabler runs straight to Eric, grabs him and says, what the fuck giving Rose's photo out? He says, I only gave it to co members and he says, well, maybe one of them gave it to like away. You guys are such amateurs, and he shoots back, like, you guys are doing so much better, and Stabler says, weber back off, and he goes where this is our neighborhood, and Stabler says, we're working as fast as we can. And then Eric is like, well, who is it? Who is the suspect and then starts showing the info of all the creeps in the hood on you know the app, like.
Speaker 1: Is it this creep? Or is it this creep?
Speaker 2: And Stable grabs the phone he was using and throws it onto the street, which Eric obviously does not enjoy it.
Speaker 1: He does not like that, but I would love That's fun though.
Speaker 2: That's like a cool thing to throw the phone. Yeah, Like if someone was annoying you so much and you just grab their phone and through it in the middle of the street.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: It's a well he did that in another episode he took someone's came run through it. Or wait, Amorrow did that? Or no, Stabler did that. Stabler did that, and that's done a quarter. They both thrown that.
Speaker 2: Stranger tomorrow he threw the camera of that pedophile. Yeah that looks like Gary Sinise but isn't. Yeah, I think it was thought criminal.
Speaker 1: I don't know, yeah, thought criminal is That's exactly it. Yeah, I think it was Josh Molina's Yeah, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, did you Someone posted a thing Roger Eber scathing review of fandom And this was like decades before Game of Thrones and you know, like this was a long time ago. But he was saying, He's like, these people are the worst to talk to because they're not comfortable with ad libbing or like having fun and they just like only talk about this thing that they know and asking you questions that they already know the answers to.
Speaker 1: And he's like, they're the most boring people to talk to. And I was like spiraling. I'm like, I'm only talking about Seinfeld, SVW, the Simpsons or Sex in the City, Like that's truly drag race yeah or yell, You've got a lot. You've got a lot. So I wouldn't say you're super dedicated to any one fandom because you're part of a many of them. I am. It's like so fucked. I'm like, would Roger Eber me like or would we vibe a little? I think you and Roger Ebert would absolutely vibe. Really, you are unexpected. You are not an expected boring person to have a conversation with. Okay, I think he's talking about people that only know one thing and they like set up conversations to be able to talk about the one thing they know about. Ye like not what you do.
Speaker 2: Like he used Star Wars and Star Trek and he goes, yeah, a guy and a girl. They're just like playing there as Luke and and yeah and sis.
Speaker 1: They were great. We've never really had movie reviewers since them, like in that kind of prestige and fame. There's like Ao Scott even, Oh yeah, I do know Aoscott, You're right, but that's like it, you're right. I mean they're like those two were like the last big movie reviewers and anomaly. Like now it's Rotten Tomatoes. And when I go on Rotten Tomatoes, like the people that are like up at the top are from like websites and publications I've never heard of, Like I never see major newspaper or like magazines reviewers at the top of Rotten Tomatoes. It's always like I like movies, Dot Biz. I hated this, you know, like yeah, not the same, but you know what, I watch Tricksy and Katya watching Netflix shows on YouTube, and that's as close to the Ciscal and Ebert that we could ever get. You're right, we have them. We do have Siskel and Ebert, and it's Katya and Tricksy.
Speaker 2: Benson's gonna go play some pr okay and she says, Eric, listen, you need to let us do our jobs. And he apologizes and says he should have been more careful, but every time he hears about a child being attacked, he thinks about his sister Grace. She knows it's personal to him but also for them, and also personal gets in the way and Blur's judgment and he's like, no, I feel clear, I know dirt on these guys you don't even know. And Benson's like, stop, even if you don't trust Stabler, trust me, we're gonna get this guy the right way. And we cut to Finn doing a presentation to the crew in the squad room and the board is a bunch of creeps faces and circles on a map of the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: And I, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I said, I never know where I stand with Vigilante Justice, but I think I love it.
Speaker 1: I think I'm individually Ante Justice.
Speaker 2: And Craig like when the when the neighborhood of was it Higlan, whatever, whatever neighborhood in La caught the Night's soccer. Like that footage to me, I could watch it, like I should watch it to get hyped, Like, yeah, community coming together.
Speaker 1: To catch this killer. I like that. Yeah, that was when he was like on the run. You see a killer, go tackle him. I don't know if I agree with like the guys that dressed up like superheroes and went out in the night to get people in another episode of the show, or like these co app people that are like making wanted posters for poor people with mental like you know, disabilities, or like the lesbians. What's the one, what's the one that Kathy Griffin runs Lesbians Apple Aggressives. No, No, Big Apple is different. Kathy Griffin runs one that's called lesbians Lesbian Less Wrong, le Lester Strong, Lesbie Strong. Well, they're not really vigilantes against crime. They're just pro lesbians, so they're allowed, they're allowed to be alive. But like the superhero dorks that are like vigilant, I don't know. Sometimes the vigilantes, I'm like Eric Roberts is on the show as a vigilante. I think in earlier seasons.
Speaker 2: He's wrong about that coming up. I don't remember I Julia Roberts brother. How dare you talk to me like that? Like I wouldn't know that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Sorry, you don't think he's been on SVU. You don't think everyone knows.
Speaker 2: Eric Roberts and Julia Roberts are siblings, and Emma Roberts is their niece.
Speaker 1: I mean his I don't know. I bet you some people don't know. I bet you someone write in time I broke the news to you today. I want to know if I'm educating people.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: He plays a guy named San Winfield in two episodes, and he's uh, he's a former cop and an activist quote unquote. So yeah, they do this a lot. They have a lot of like the cops going against vigilante people.
Speaker 2: Okay, Craigan says, you know, go corral these creeps.
Speaker 1: Okay, does everyone know where we are? We're in the squadroom.
Speaker 2: So then it cuts to a bunch of lawyers being held back in the squadroom trying to see their clients, and Cragan's like, you can see it's a little busy in here, and everyone's busy talking to creeps at their desk, and some are chill and proud they have alibis, and some are fucking screaming, losing it that they didn't rape any little girls. And we're back onto the pedophile computer system and Munches turning all the red circles representing creeps into green circles, saying clear, clear clear. Finn says, great, now we gotta get this place fumigated.
Speaker 1: I get it. I was like, were there rats there?
Speaker 2: Pedophile Benson says, sometimes you shake the tree and nothing falls out, and Cragan sends everyone home and says they'll shake more trees in the morning. So then Stable and Benson turn around at the same time together and stand leaning on their crossed arms.
Speaker 1: At like elbows on the table. It's super cute, like a cherub pose. That's how I would describe it, like a little cherubs. And he's like, you thinking what I'm thinking, and she's like, I hope not. I love it, but obviously it's you know, to go to Eric's house, and she says, but I'm scared he gives us something good and then throws it out and then then you know it's thrown out in court. But Stabler's like, what if it's enough to stop another little girl from getting raped. Good point.
Speaker 2: And she's nervous if she's seen comparing notes with a known vigilante, and it's like no one is paying attention, like no one is watching you guys, and Stabler's unless they are. And Stabler is like, you're just having coffee with a guy who thinks you're cute. And they grin and they start moving. So they're at Eric's house having red wine, clink the glasses and he's like hell, yeah, hell let's fuck and she's like, this is purely professional. And he says that he got involved with pedophile vigilanteism because he did the website, their website for free, so this organization existed.
Speaker 1: He did their website. He's a computer geek. Did you watch Daria?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you Quinn morgendor for you know, she's like the popular sister. Did you watch the one where their house was on fire so they had to live in the hotel.
Speaker 1: No, So they're living in this hote tell and a bell hop is like, hey, you know, my uncle owns the hotel.
Speaker 2: I'll get you the president's suite and this and that. He's whining and dining.
Speaker 1: But it ends up being a stalker and the police come and then they're like, man, don't worry. You know, the uncle actually doesn't own it.
Speaker 2: He just works at the hotel and was charging it to the room and then deleting the charges. And Quinn goes, ew, you mean I went out with a computer geek, like she didn't care about the stalking. I thank you for laughing. It did take that story to take longer than I thought, But I loved Daria.
Speaker 1: And then there's a painting you kind of you could be Daria for Halloween. I know I have like the glasses and the hair. Yeah I could. Yeah. Yeah. People also say Linda Belcher, but you've done that. Yeah, I did do that once. But this I kind of am obsessed. I know I could get like a little blazer and like yeah.
Speaker 2: And then there's a painting of a young girl in the house. Yeah, a blazer, little skirt, boots, black boots or something. Yeah, I mean, you should be Daria. Maybe next year. This feels too close. We're going on tour. How am I going to procure Doria costume? No, I'm not passionate enough about Doria to be her for Halloween. I think I have to be more passionate. I do like her.
Speaker 1: Because I'm looking at her right now on my wall. I have a needle point Daria, and and you would crush it, you would really crush it. Oh God, this is taking forever. And there's okay.
Speaker 2: So then there's a painting of a young girl and Benson asks if it's his sister, and.
Speaker 1: Uh, of course it is.
Speaker 2: So he painted it when he was sixteen, right after the attack, and she says it's beautiful, and he wanted to show Grace how happy she was and how she can get back there, but the rapist took everything, and three months later their mother found her hanging in the closet and Benson's like, I'm so sorry, and he says, we went to a dark place too for not protecting her, you know, And so he says that he also went to a dark place for not being able to protect her as her big brother. Then he says, I want to show you something and approaches like seven computer moroditors, and she's like, fuck, we gotta be careful, and he rightfully responds like, isn't this what you came here for? And she says I did, but you're a civilian, so I can't like direct you to do something you know it's illegal. And he says that he did this months ago, and he says, child molesters are all about secrecy and so and they're really worried about security. So he came up with a bunch of door knob signs and everyone on the red and he put them on everyone's doors. That's on the registry and it's for cybersecurity services. But his service wasn't actually secure, and it installed a virus in their computers which allows him to remotely view everything they do. But she can't see it because it's you know, illegally all connected.
Speaker 1: YadA YadA.
Speaker 2: But he said that in two thousand and seven in California they use this and like they use the hackers in photo put away a judge who is into kitty porn in quotes, and that's what you know he wants to do here. And he says he found so many images from all these hard drives, and holy shit, the photo of ros comes up and it's coming from the Upper East Side and it was uploaded ninety minutes after the attack. And also the girl from yesterday's on the person's drive too, And then we cut straight to Stephen Tablowski Freaky Friday, Groundhog's Day and literally eight hundred things like he's he's been working and I feel like he's a part of our lives. It's really cool. And so he's leaving for work as a pregnant woman in a pink rob It's like, have a good day, and booms, Stabler cuffs him, and Benson runs up and hands a woman a warrant and says, we're going to take your computers.
Speaker 1: Ma'am, don't get in our way.
Speaker 2: She screams Edwin, and you know, he screams Louis So now an interrogation asking why is he here, and Marishka's like, well, why were you in a Connecticut police station in nineteen ninety seven and it's because he had inappropriate contact with a ten year old girl? And where why were you in a police station in Maryland in two thousand and two old forcible fondling? And he says he admitted to those and he went away, and Benson, snarky as fuck, says, well, not long enough. And they asked where he was yesterday afternoon, and he says every afternoon, he takes the break and reads in the park and kIPS Bay and Rose and Mandy were raped there, Stabler says in Tablowski aka, Evan responds who, and they push did anyone see you there? And he says, well hopefully, And Benson's like, what were you reading Lolita so you could get your juices flowing? Ew Benson ew okay, and they PLoP the photos on the table and he says that he didn't take those, and then Stabler's like, why did we find them on your computer?
Speaker 1: And he screams, this would get thrown out, by the way, Yeah, like I think this would fully get thrown out. Okay, So he screams what while trying to stand up, and they push his shoulders back down and he says, please, please, I didn't do this and you have to let me go. And then he says something horrifying that Luis doesn't even know any of this and he's kept everything a secret, his parole everything. That's scary. I don't like.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's fair to background and check anyone you want. I think if you date someone, you can background check them.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts? Yeah, I don't know, sure, I've never done it, but like, yeah, that is scary. That you could be like really pregnant with someone's child and have like a whirlwind one year romance and not realize they've like went away for tumbless stations. Yeah, it's like why it's fucked out.
Speaker 2: And I guess like you kind of also socially knew your now husband, so it wasn't like I feel like if he was arrested for child to pornograph, who would know about it?
Speaker 1: I would know? Yeah, you know, I know the molesters. Also, like I have all Jared's passwords. I could steal his identity in two seconds, so like I know what he's doing online.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I believe in background checking everyone. I think it's even moral to hire a PI to take photographs and spy on them. I don't give a shit, Like with with stuff like this going on, no one's safe. And he said they put that on the shirt. He said they just met a year ago and it was a whirlwind thing. And Benson said, well, guess who's crashed back into Earth. I mean, the lines in this episode are really killer. Three strikes throughout, says Stabler, and Edwin's nervous, like biting his fist. He and he's just super pressed about all this, and he's like, I got to see my lawyer right now. And Benson and Stabler are walking and talking and how they love to watch grown men cry, and the defense attorney walks on in and she's fancy, I would say, and she wants to see Edwin and they're like, too late. He's going to arraignment. And when they tell her for what, she's shocked and she's like, you're a mistake. And he's a tax guy and a church deacon, and it's like those are actually signs.
Speaker 1: Of pedophilia, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: What I like the church deacon and being shocked about the molesting is l like that would ever be surprising. And Stabler's like, you're forgetting registered sex defender and she looks shocked, and they realize that the family lawyer didn't know this information. Oh my god, I'm behind them. In the cage, Edwin is getting the shit beat out of him by a uniformed officer, screaming he raped those girls, and he's bloody and breathlessly saying like hell me, help me, help me. And now Craigan walks into, but he's already been in prison. Didn't he learn how to fight a little bit.
Speaker 1: I know you were there for nine years as a child molester, like that must have been yeah, Like get get it together, fight back like you're yeah. Now, Craigan walks into a room where the unicop is sitting and he's like, is this clown really on the job. So he lied downstairs and finangled his way and he did come to do it. The daughter.
Speaker 2: His daughter's in the same swim class, and we you know, so he knew Mandy forever. She's been over at sleepovers at their house. So he saw red and Craigan's like, you fucked up your own career, and he says, I know, I shouldn't have ever signed up for the you know those tweets, and they're like, what tweets? So there's a watch group in the neighborhood and they have a Twitter called creep Tweets.
Speaker 1: Use creep tweets, link your creep tweets to your purv pointer and find out we're all okay.
Speaker 2: So now creep tweets are being mentioned in court by Edwin's lawyer, and.
Speaker 1: We're out of arrainment. And the DA is truly a woman. I refuse to learn her face, like I want to have the facial blindness for this woman. Uh call me a mensraic.
Speaker 2: Activist, but I don't give a shit about her. So then but the judge, the judge is a sex and the City queen as well. So this judged. This episode's one of my favorites. You know, Hot Child in the City where Carrie starts dating the comic book guy and he lives Power Lad, Power Lad, and so he so this is his mother.
Speaker 1: This is power Lad's mother that's like Carrie and like calling and then.
Speaker 2: Catches them smoking weed and then Carrie grabs the weed on the way out and she goes, yes, Missus Adams, and I'm taking it away.
Speaker 1: With me when I go yeah, and her.
Speaker 2: Little shorts in that episode the Chicken Weing, it's a weed episode. There's a couple of wead episodes, but like, yeah, this is one of my favorites. And he was in he was at Carolines in the audience once years and years ago when I was opening for David toew.
Speaker 1: Listen. I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: So this is Missus Adams and they're talking about the attack in the cage and the judge is not happy that he was assaulted in their custody and miss West I did learn her name is the DA and Craigan said it won't happen again, and she says, just passing the buck, and the judge's like, actually, captain, I.
Speaker 1: Want to talk to your ass. How many cops do you have? And he says one hundred and she's like and yet somehow one man got past all of them, and Craigan's like he lied and had fake paperwork and the judge is like yes or no, and he says yes, and then Miss West says Craigan is not the one being arraigned here today, and Craigan then says, your honor, all due respect, do not release this man. He is a flight risk.
Speaker 2: And his lawyer's like a baby on the way, I think that's a reason to be tied down. So they argue back and forth and Craigan is like, protect the community and Edwin's like, no, protect me from the police, please, and she agrees with Edwin. So his bail is granted at fifty thousand and he just has to surrender his passport, and.
Speaker 1: The the baby on the way is like, kept any man tied down? Like, really, if you were fleeing from possible like life in prison, bye baby, Like you do not care?
Speaker 2: Amen, okay. And so the lawyer's like, just a little bit of paperwork and then your wife will pick you up. And he's obviously so upset. He's like, my wife, God, no, please, she can't know about this. And so the vigilante group is outside with poster boards and who has the time. So Stabler comes out and the reporter starts trying to fuck with him, and he's not really feeling it. But then they see Edwin and they're like, fuck Stabler, let's go get Edwin. So although media mob like runs to get his ass and they run to him, and he sees his wife and she's so mad at him, and she looks at him with such disgust. And he gets into the you know, he gets in the car and stares at the detectives. He really stares at the detectives, and then he drives his Jaguar right into a truck. It's not a gas truck, but it does explode into fire.
Speaker 1: Boom boom boom. Eric says, oh my god, and there is a fire, and the detectives look at the fire and everyone is like, wow, there's a fire. And then it cuts the squad watching the news and it says Deviant dead and they can't believe it, but Benson is like cold as fuck, and he's like, Hey, if the vigilantes stay this tough, that's good news, and we'll save a lot of money for trials, you know, and we could speed race to all these motherfucker's deaths.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's pretty like hardcore. And we hear a little voice and she says, is it true? The man is really dead? And Benson says, yes, Mandy, he felt so guilty that he took his own life. And then she brings them to the interview room. Eric runs into Stabler and he's there with some evidence. So there's a hard drive and he brings it in and he's like, I don't know how much you can use, but I thought the real cops should have it. And so then Benson's telling the girls about city counseling and support services and it's all free, and then she's like, well, maybe something else can help because she sees Eric and.
Speaker 1: She goes, don't you want to learn karate?
Speaker 2: And she goes cool, and so she calls Eric into the room and introduces Eric to the mom and to Mandy, the little girl, and once he starts talking, she looks immediately shocked and scared and just like fuck not the same, And Benson notices something is off and Mandy is like frozen and asks and she's like, are you okay? And she goes, I want to go home now, and then when she gets up on the chair, there's a big puddle of piss.
Speaker 1: And this is like the movie Ransom. Do you remember that? I don't remember this? Something like this happened in Ransom. Yeah, like he peed down his pants and that's how they knew who the killer was. Yeah, what is it? But also like wouldn't did any of the girls say the man had an accent?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: But they're kids, I know, But like you could say, he doesn't talk like you were me. I mean like Rosie knows Pepa Pig talks different, and like Bluie talks different, you know what I mean? Like if they had, like if there had been an accent, I feel like that would have like maybe tipped Olivia or something earlier. But you blame no, non blaming.
Speaker 2: The cops should have asked Ben's Yeah, they should have. Did the criminals sound like Pepa Pig? That would be a perfect question. So there's a piss so if a kid is pissing, the killers in the room. So then Benson says, Mandy just told us who really raped her. So we cut to Eric opening the door to his apartment and it's Benson there.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love this scene. I'm like, okay, we're nearing the end, guys, let's do this. So Eric opens the door in the apartment and Benson's there to see him, and he's like, wow, surprise, and she's like, what can't just drop by for a glass of wine? And it's like, no, you're a psychopath.
Speaker 2: He says sorry, I'm all out, but also he was thinking, and before he can say anything more, Benson goes, you want to stop seeing me, and he's like, it's not you, but I'm just too wound up and too many painful memories. And Benson then like pushes him, I'm not even your type, right, I'm a little old. And she's acting smug as hell and it's like, you're a fucking liar and he's like, I don't know what you're talking about, and she's like, look at you keep lying and the biggest lie is you hating pedophiles trying to get pedophiles, and he screams, don't call me that, and she says, I didn't, but that's weird that you thought I did. And he says, just because I don't want to date you, and she's like, just tell the truth.
Speaker 1: You never wanted to date me. You just wanted to suss out what the cops knew.
Speaker 2: So you know, you slithered up and whipped out your purve pointer and your drive and makes we were watching the creep down the street or in the park. But I think you moved to this neighborhood on purpose because it's the perfect cover for raping little girls. And he's like, I want you out of here, and Benson says, you're the karate expert. Make me and he smiles and he ain't gonna do shit, and he giggles and walks away and says I'm gonna call the police, and she's like, and tell them what that You fingered Adelson for a crime he didn't commit. And it's like fingered means something else. It's like, you can't do that. They say fingered in this all the time, but like language changes, things start eating other things. You can't hate it keeps sat fingers.
Speaker 1: I know. It's like so weird. He screams and is getting agitated, and Benson's like, nope, bro, you hacked him and you did it, and he says and He's like, no, he did it, Olivia, and that's why he offed himself. And she says, because you drove him to it, just like how you drove your sister to do that. And she points to the painting while talking, and he's like, oh, now you're really losing it. Grace hung herself in eighty two and walks out a woman, saying, then how can I be standing right here? And Stabler's behind and Eric looks shocked and the violins start playing, and he says Grace, and Sablor says she was super easy to find. She was just like in Delaware in a phone book.
Speaker 2: But you needed her dead, didn't you, for your sob stories, so nobody would peek under the mask. And then she says, you raped me, Eric, I was only nine, and then you try to convince me it was a mistake, you swore. She started walking like walking towards Eric and he's crying and she says, but you kept on raping how many Eric, how many girls pictures did you paint? And then he screams, I can't help it. Don't you see, I'm sick. I can't control myself. You have, I had no idea what it's like. I try so hard to not look at little girls. And he fights against it and every time it wins, and Benson says, enough with her, sob story. Don't you judge me, bitch? You make me sick. Every time I stand near you, I have to hold my breath. And Benson's like, finally, you tell the truth. And he gets mad and tries to comfort her, and she knocks his ass to the ground. Bye bye, and he hits the floor, and Sablor pulls out his gun and Grace pulls like some weapon that the grim Reaper would hold? Was that it was a grim Reaper?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, it like a like a scythe or like like a machete. I don't know. It was wild, It was really wild.
Speaker 2: And she's crying and then she she attacks the painting and so she starts ripping the painting apart, and it ends on our detectives' faces, and an amazing episode of television twists and turns. One of my favorite red herrings, but not red hairing. I mean it's like it's incredible, one.
Speaker 1: Of the most amazing twists in the history of the show, and very similar to fast forward this if you've never read or seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. But to me, this is like the exact ending of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is like this girl that they everyone has assumed has been dead the entire time comes back and is like, yeah, my brother was raping me forever, like and it's like a huge twist at the end of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which only came out, like the book only came out a couple years before this episode, so I feel like I wonder if someone was reading it. But it's like it's like also with this guy Eric, Like I think that that is how pedophies feel. Like I try not to do it. I really try. I really try, and like I'm sick and I can't control myself, and like I do think that's how bout a files feel. But then it's like you're framing other people, you're ruining other people's lives, and you're like out there, yeah, like putting up posters of a poor mentally ill boy being like get this freak when it's like you you're like a Republican, Like you're this guy talking about like family values while you're trying to tap on somebody's foot in a stall to get a BJ you know what I mean. Like that's like why this guy gets like no sympathy from me.
Speaker 2: Like, also, just get castrated, Like all these fucking perfs should just get their sperm cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah does that work? You get like chemically castrated? I bet you. There's still other ways you could hurt people. But anyway, an amazing episode, a depressing crime to follow, So don't go anywhere, listen to our advertisements and we'll be right back. Okay. So, even though I think that the end part of the episode has to do with the girl with the dragon tattoo, in my opinion, uh, the real true crime is connected to the compulsive gamers that are Rose Simonsky's parents at the beginning of Wow so cool. Yeah, so this is called the it's not that cool when you hear the song. I know, but I that's not what I had. I didn't know what crime you were doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I am, because that is a very interesting part of this episode and it always I remember it and the whole interaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it's just well, they put a lot of little details into it that show you how connected it is to this. So it's based on the case of Kim Sarong, but in Korea they put the last name first, I believe, so Sarong is her first name and it means love. And she was the three month old child of Jbaum Kim, age forty and his common law wife Young Chung Kim, age twenty five. These two parents were poor, unemployed, and unfortunately were extremely addicted to a massive multiplayer online role playing game also known as an MMO RPG called Prius. Probably the most famous MMO RPG as World of Warcraft, but this one was called Prius, and this couple would allegedly leave their baby home for like hours at a time, like eight to ten hours to go to an internet cafe and play the game. And the super fucked up part of it is just like in the episode, the game is all about raising a child. It's about raising a little girl and giving her all these powers and then she fights and stuff. So they would leave their real child to go raise like an online game child. And one night they came in September of two thousand and nine. One morning, they came home at seven am after playing the game for ten hours at one of these gaming places, like they kept calling them, like oh, video bang or game bang or something. I don't know, it's like these they're like these places all over Korea, South Korea where you can play games for like long amounts of time. I mean, I'm sure we have them in the US, but they're like prolific in Korea. And when they got home at seven am, the baby was passed. The baby had to say sad. I know, it's like so super sad. And her time of death she weighed five point five pounds, which is less than her birth weight of six point four pounds. So to have not gained any weight in your first three months of life is like not good. And the police noted the low weight and the dehydration and they immediately became suspicious and the cause of death was ruled malnutrition. And according to the police, the mother had not sought any medical care prior to giving birth, like she had kno gone to the doctor, no checkups, no vitamins, like nothing. She did not know how to be a mom. She fed the baby spoiled milk, and one investigator said she just had no idea how to raise a child. So after her death, the parents were afraid to alert the police and just started like looking up funeral arrangements online. And then I will talk about this in a little bit, but there was a documentary about this case made and in the documentary, this veteran detective says, whose name is Sang Yun Hahn says, a typical parent would weep in this situation, but they showed no emotion. And then he said, none of us believed it at first, like they couldn't believe that this was like the result of the parents.
Speaker 2: And I'm huse, so they didn't how did the police find out if.
Speaker 1: They eventually they did. Eventually they did call the police, like after they like looked up funeral arrangements, but like they knew they had, like they saw in their search history that they didn't call the police right away. They first looked up funeral arrangements, then they called the police. Then while they're doing the autopsy, which apparently takes a couple of weeks, they let the parents go. They let them go free, and then they disappeared after the baby's funeral, they like peaced out, so this was September of nine when this happened. It took them until February of twenty ten to find them, although they were hiding in an isolated village where their parents lived, so kind of should have been the first stop. But then after they captured them in February, the story started to go international in March of twenty ten, and then the trial was in April of twenty ten, and the trial lasted just over a half an hour. So in Korea, trials are like episodes of law and Order restview. They happened very quickly and everything has resolved fast. The parents confess to charges of involuntary manslaughter. The father said in court I think quote, I think of our baby in heaven. I will be guilty until the day I die, and the prosecutor was aiming for five year sentences for them. But this case also stood to set legal precedents because no one had used gaming addiction as a defense before, and gaming addiction had never as they knew, led to a fatality before, as far as they knew, like they didn't know that a gaming addiction had ever led to somebody dying, but the judge went lenient on them. But why well, I think that I think it was because they realized how addicted to this game they were, and like that they were not in their right minds. I guess like he gave them two he gave them both two year sentences in prison. The mother's sentence was suspended because she was pregnant with their second child, but they both swore that they would never play games again. And uh, you know, the mom just like I don't think ever saw jail time because her sentence was suspended indefinitely. And then the dad, I think, did two years in jail. The case raised a lot of issues about the dark side of the internet in a country with very, very advanced broadband like Chris, South Korea is like one of the considered one of the digital capitals of the world. So it's just it's like a it's like a problem there, like it's a five. There's a five. As of twenty ten, the gaming industry was five billion dollars there, so it's definitely more now. Online addiction is apparently very common in Korea, and so someone made this HBO documentary called Love Child. It's unfortunately no longer on HBO. But I did find it online and I watched a bunch of it and it's so we'll put that in our show notes if you want to watch it. And it was directed by Valerie Veach v A. T. C. H. I don't know. I say that vachvich and was it was about the tragedy, but instead of just like vilifying the negligent parents, it kind of looks more broadly at the country where like an estimated two million people are addicted to gaming, and they talk about in the documentary about like a twenty eight year old woman who died of heart failure after playing a game for fifty hours straight and then so that's like interesting the documentary kind of they never show their faces, the parents' faces, and like, honestly, you look up information and there's nothing about like what happened to their second kid or if they're all living happily right now. Like I have no idea. I just like, I don't know. I guess I feel sort of like it is maybe like a failure of society that no one taught this woman how to raise a child, but also like what was going on with you, Like apparently her family wasn't helping because they didn't approve of the age difference between her and her guy was twenty five and forty, so they didn't like that age difference, and so like, I guess maybe a mom around would have said, Okay, you gotta feed your kid like not spoiled milk, and like here's what you do, and you can't leave the baby at home alone. But I guess they were like, well, the baby's asleep, We're gonna go out and play. Like they just weren't being normal. I don't know, but I was.
Speaker 2: I don't feel bad for them, and I think they age should have been in jail for at least ten years.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, but they were, like Korea felt differently, and they were given very lenient sentences and allowed to have another child that was not immediately taken away from them. So I wanted to look up and see if like internet gaming disorder like online addiction, has actually been recognized yet, and apparently in twenty thirteen, Internet gaming disorder is identified in section three of the DSM five as a condition warranting more clinical research and experience before it might be considered for inclusion in the main book as a formal disorder, but apparently the WHO, the World Health Organization, officially recognized gaming disorder in May of twenty nineteen, so it's not not in the DSM yet, but it has been recognized by one major organization as a problem. So that's that. That's the story. I know, it's so sad, it's really sad, but this Love Child documentary is interesting and they kind of talk about like, you know, what happened, but also, you know, the gaming problem in Korea.
Speaker 2: I under you know, it's it's tough, but I wouldn't feel bad for anyone else addicted to anything else, like if your baby died and you were out drinking or doing drugs or I don't there yeah, right this video game. Like obviously there's but like people have issues, but like I don't feel bad like if your baby dies.
Speaker 1: I just feel like that's so I know, long in jail, I know, I just feel like they were like the people in the show, like they were just like completely not on the planet, you know what I mean, Like besides her cap Groad delusion thing which was like added on to it, like they just like didn't notice when someone burst into their home, like they are just fully not living in reality, like not washing themselves, like not you know, it just feels like it's like a mental disorder, but not officially so I don't know. But I've got a great way to cleanse the palette of a deceased baby. And it is our next guest. Because you're just in for such a treat. I'm so excited about our guests, you, guys, Our guest today is truly I mean, we say prolific all the time, but the definition of prolific, Like, you can't start this. When you scroll this man's IMDb, it just goes on forever. Your your thumb will get a cramp. You might recognize him from TV shows like Silicon Valley, The Goldberg's, Californiaication, and so many others, but you, if you're me, he is most memorable to you as Ned Ryerson from groundhog Day, and you know him today as a pedophile who was wrongly framed for a different crime, Edwin Adelson. Guys, enjoy our beautiful conversation with Stephen Tobolowski. Oh my gosh, this is bitch. We're like thrilled. I'm like my mind is blown, Like I can't believe we're talking to you, Like you're just so like part of every movie or TV show I've like ever watched in my life, and I just I'm so thrilled you are willing to come on the podcast.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like mold in our house. It's just everywhere, everywhere.
Speaker 2: But before we get into full SVU step, since you who are so prolific, what do people stop you on the streets from?
Speaker 1: Do people what are the things you're most recognized from? Yeah, Like, I really need to know how many people call you Ned Ryerson on like a daily basis.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the one good thing about the pandemic, because you know, with the mask on a lot of people, you know, they go like is that Ned? I don't know, but usually at least one or two people a day spot me as Ned. And those people inevitably say, has anyone ever said are you Ned? And I say, yeah, like about thirty minutes ago. But what I do now is because my career over the time has become so varied when people come up to me and they go like you, I know you you were from? And then I have to do a quick terminator scan of the person and see like who is this person? What am I going to say? So if I see a tattoo, and I'll go like, yeah, Californication. I played stoop Eggs in Californication. If I see you like a nerdy T shirt, I go, yep, Silicon Valley, Yeah, Jack Barker, Silicon Valley. And if they're just you know, mom and dad and their kid going, I go, yep, it's ned but the best one I ever got, the best one I've ever gotten. I've gotten it twice now twice, which is remarkable. I was in a movie line in California and someone turned around and said, excuse me, are you the voice of the calculator in the Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars? And I go, yes, I was the voice of the calculator and Brave Little Toaster goes to Mars. And now in my career, I've had two people come up to me and go, my god, I'm finally meeting you the voice of the calculator and Brave Little Toaster goes to Mars. My little kid just loved that movie. We watched it five hundred times a day. And you're the calculator.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm a mom and I feel like if I heard somebody on the street that was from like Paw Patrol movie. I'd be like, excuse me, like I would know it.
Speaker 4: And I've done Paw Patrol. I have done Paw Patrol. I did their Christmas show. I play some kind of elf on Paw Patrol. Oh my god. Yeah, so this this Christmas season, be watching that Paw Patrol and be listening, you know, I would be listening for the Wayward Elf.
Speaker 1: I love it. I mean it must be so hard. That's funny that you're able to do like a scam because it's like you have over two hundred and eighty credits on IMDb. I'd be like if someone was like, where do I know you from, I'd be like, take out your IMDb app, I don't have time for this, Like you know you just like, has anyone munch recognize you from Freaky Friday?
Speaker 4: Oh god, yes, Freaky Friday, mister Bates and Freaky Friday. And I go absolutely absolutely. I even got one Clayton Townly head of the Ku Klux Klan, you know from Mississippi Burning? Are you Clayton Townly head of the Ku Klux Klan? And I go, well, in the movie, yeah, it was fiction, well not fiction, but it.
Speaker 1: Was you know, yeah, not me. Now are you You've got to be an offer only type guy? Right?
Speaker 2: Are you still out there auditioning or people are knocking on your door?
Speaker 4: I haven't. I well neither. So you know, the last few jobs I've gotten, I have not been I have not auditioned for. You know, they were offers. But I don't know. If I'm an offer only guy. I would tell my agents, Hey, you know, if I'm sitting around for a couple of months, hey, I'd be happy to audition. No, no, no, you know, but I don't really know what the situation is. But I just leave that to them and and fate. And just if somebody asked me to do something and it I'm available and it's something I want to do, I'll do.
Speaker 2: It right because I'm also I bet you're someone when people write a script they go like a Steven Tablowski type.
Speaker 4: Listen, listen, this is this is what really hurts. It really hurts. I had I was going through a dry period, as actors often do, and a friend of mine, Joel Reudnick, was an agent for I think I forget what now, but APA, I think APA, and Joel called me up and said, you won't believe this. I'm reading the breakdown here and it says Dad looking for a Stephen Tobolowski type. So I called it my agent and I got, hey, guys, I just want you to know what's in the breakdown here. And they said they're looking for a Stephen Tobolowski type. My agent said, you're not right for the part. I said, that's impossible. I'm Stephen. They said they want to look, we'll get you an audition, but you're not right for the part. So I went in audition, did not get a callback, and my agent said, told you not right for the part.
Speaker 1: Oh my, So what do you think that is?
Speaker 4: I have no idea, but it hurt deeply. You know, I just did a movie with with Chris Pine, which which was it could be really wonderful, and you know, the script was off the charts, one of the best scripts I'd read, and it was a terrific part. And they just wanted to Chris just wanted to talk to me, and so we met on zoom and we talked about the script. And the name of the character in the movie was Stephen Tagaroski, head of the La City Council Stephen Tagaroski, and I'm reading the script and I go, you gotta be kidding Steven. I mean, come on, guys. So I had a great talk with Chris. We talked about the part and all the different beats of the part. And then the next day I heard nothing. Then a week later get a call from my agent. Steven got good news. You're still in the running. I go, still in the running for Steven Tagaroski. At least they could change the name of the guy. I mean, that would really cut deep. But I did get the part then couldn't And yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Amazing, especially since you liked the script. And Chris Pine is a hottie.
Speaker 4: Well he's not only a haughty, but he's a goodie. He's a goody and a haughty. I mean, he's a wonderful actor, wonderful director. And uh. The movie is called pool Man, and I can't wait to see it come out because it will be cool man pool Man, and it will be very strange. It reminded me of old Robert Altman kind of films and kind of an altered reality. And I got hopes on it. You know, it made me laugh, it moved me, it's a strange movie, so I'm hoping it's good.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you said the feelings you got reading this Chris Pine script when you got this Bullseye episode of Long Order SVU, what kind of feelings did you have about your character and what kind of time you remember, because we know it was a long time ago.
Speaker 4: It was a long time ago, but I remember when when the first Law Order thing I did was a criminal intent. But when I Bullseye was the first SVU show I did, And when I read that, I went like, oh my god, this is terrific. And my son was a huge SVU fan. My son was, and I was more of the classic Law and Order fan. You know now I've seen every one of them five hundred times. So Robert gave me a picture of Chris and Mariska, you know, like an eight by ten kind of thing and said, a Dad, when you go do this, can you get them to sign this for me? And I go sure. So I started watching some SVUS and I went like, oh, well, they kind of took the idea Law and Order always has a kind of twist in it, and they multiplied it by about three. And so when I read the script of Bullseye. I went, oh, now they've multiplied it by four. And I had no idea even reading script where it was going to end up and where it was going to turn. So I was thrilled to do this, first of all for my son Robert, and then because I'm reading the script and I go, wow, this is really because they had me going, and I thought the twists and turns were not cheapies, you know they were they were the kind of things that happened in this kind of a crime. But I was thrilled. I do have a kind of weird origin story about this episode of SVU.
Speaker 1: Is that okay, O, course, that's what we're here for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the people who who know about Law and Order SVU. You know, it shot all over the place. Our costume area at that time for Bullseye was in New Jersey. That's where and that's where the bulk the cop bullpen is. That's where the jail cells were. Uh, that's kind of where RISCO would interrogate you if you were going to be in a room with the glass. That would be in their sets in New Jersey and on Chelsea Piers in Lower New York, you know, around twentieth Street or whatever on Twelfth Avenue way over by the water is where they have the courthouse, so you know, you shoot the courthouse there. And then in the process of the show, the various locations I had were my house was on the Upper West Side, I end up committing suicide and Harlem, so you know you're going to be all over the city. And so the idea of coming to New York to do a law and order show, which I loved, from criminal intent because you're always working with the best of the best. When you do a law and order show, it's just the way it is. Maybe it's because it's a machine, but it is a well oiled machine. You know, everybody knows what they're doing so well. So I was thrilled. And they put me up at some schnazzy hotel on Central Park South, where you know, the first one is the Plaza, and I was not at the Plaza, but I was down there, really schnazzy hotel. They brought me in and the only thing I really had to do that day was to go to New Jersey for costume fitting. That's all I had to do. So I thought I am in the Big Apple. I am going to embrace the city with all the gusto I have. I'm going to get up early. I'm going to take my script. I'm going to go out to one of the little breakfast joints they have here in New York City that are everywhere. Greece he's been study my script and all this kind of stuff and the hustle and bustle of New York. I came out of the hotel. So I'm on Central Park South in like about eighth Avenue, kind of over there, and there's nobody anywhere. The city is deserted, and I'm going now. I feel like I'm in a science fiction movie. I mean, there wasn't even a lot of traffic. I could hear cars somewhere, but there was no one on the street. So I start walking down the avenue downtown looking for one of the many breakfast joints there are in New York. And all the breakfast joints are gone. And I know this is sounding like a dream of some sort, but they all got replaced by Starbucks. All those cute little breakfast places were all gone. And I walked down about six blocks and then over on the right, there is a place that looks like they would serve eggs. And it's like eight in the morning, something like that now. And I go in and you walk up to the cash register and the hostess is there at the cash register to seat you. And I get going and there's a tap on my shoulder as I'm going and I turned around and it's Chris Maloney. I go, what now. I feel like I'm in some kind of a dream. And I turn around. I go Chris. He goes so and then he sees the script and laughs, and he goes, you know, I'm not working this morning. I want to rehearse. And I said, you gotta be kidding. So Chris and I sat down, had breakfast together and rehearsed our scenes in this deserted coffee shop and this deserted part of New York City. It was like a miracle. If it had been a Hallmark movie, it would have been I would have been wearing the red dress. It was.
Speaker 1: I wonder what he was even doing there, like in that part of Manhattan on his day off. Well, he lives on the Upper West I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was, he was going to be he was going to be going in later for work. But he had the morning free and thought he would just do a little jogging or some little exercise. But and we sat down and while we were working on the scene, we went I think I had a couple couple scenes with While we were reading through the different scenes, he started musing about theater and he said, so, do you do a lot of theater in Los Angeles? And at the time, I said, yeah, yeah, my wife and I were both involved in theater. He said, I miss it so much. He says, I love the show. I love doing the show. But when you do the show, you really can't do anything else, even like have a life, you can't. You know, it's constant. He said, I may be out in Los Angeles next year, and if you're working on a play or if something comes up, give me a call and I'll do it. And I'll do it for free. You don't have to pay me. It's just it's just I'm a theater actor first. And when you do this, you get this hunger, this loss for doing the theater. And I'd love to get back in it. And I said, absolutely, Chris, absolutely. You know we're involved with some of the theaters downtown. I said, I'm sure they would you know, kiss the hem of your garment, if you mean, hand of it. But it was like an amazing moment to start working on that show.
Speaker 1: And that's so funny because that ended up being his last season on the show.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like he was having a hankering to do some different stuff and you know you were hearing about it.
Speaker 4: Yes, And when I got back to Los Angeles and I was telling some of the people about Chris, you know, maybe coming out and we should be looking for a play that could use him in that And of course as soon as he came out to LA he got another show. Yeah, so that's what True Blood or something like that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he was on True Blood for a little while.
Speaker 4: Ye. Yeah. So as soon as he hit the ground there, you know they're going to snatch him up. I mean, there are very few a certifiable television stars and he's one of them. He's also, whether on TV or film or theater, a great actor, so so you know he translates, but you know he's gonna get snatched up. He just is.
Speaker 1: That's so fun Thanks for telling us that, because we don't get as many stories about Maloney, Like a lot of people like have interactions with Marishka, but they don't necessarily like it sounded like in the twelve seasons he was on the show, he kind of did his own thing and nice to hear a little Maloney's story. But you got to do so much in this episode, Like you get an interrogation, you get a courtroom scene, you get to you get your butt kicked in a holding cell, and then you just get to draw I mean, minute per minute of what the action that you get to do. You're not on you're not in the episode for too too much, and you get to do a lot.
Speaker 4: I if you have an SVU checklist, I got to do all the stuff. I got arrested on the Upper west Side. Yes, I got the purf walk in front of my wife. Yeah, you know. And of course when you're doing it on the Upper west Side, there are people out there that are just people, and they at first they don't know. I mean, there's the cameras and there's all that that they just see me coming out right and they think, oh my god, is there a police action here. Oh no, it's ANVU action here. So I got purf walked on the Upper west Side. I got blown up in Harlem, I got beaten up by I got punched out in the jail cell I. You know, they had to do makeup on me, to have like cuts and bruises on my face. I got to go to Chelsea Peers and be in the courthouse. Everything you could do on a Law and Order show, I got to do in Bullseye.
Speaker 1: You know, sometimes I say there's episodes that feel like movies. There's like a few episodes of SFU that really feel like movies, and I think this is one of them. Like I were like the guy, like just the big twist at the end feels like a movie to me.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, you don't really see that coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then you're back on season twenty. You come back as an attorney. How was that experience?
Speaker 4: Oh that was great as Cayman. What was my name?
Speaker 1: Yeah, something like that. You were a lawyer for, you know, a sex offender.
Speaker 4: As I remember. I remember Cayman because Cayman is a South American crocodile, right, And you know I read I read the script and I go, oh, now I get to play the smart alec defense attorney. And by this point when I come back to do Law and Order as for you. The second time, it was like Old Home Week, and and it been many years in between, but it's again, here's an example that maybe the people don't understand courtroom scenes. Right when you're a defense attorney, you are going to be in the courtroom. Like, courtroom scenes on television shows are the hardest things to shoot. Why is that.
Speaker 1: Because of all the coverage because.
Speaker 4: They're in the courtroom. Yes, no, you're right, all the coverage because you have to shoot. You have to shoot different sizes. First of all, the witness usually get that and while you're in that direction, then you turn the cameras and you get the jury, and then you have to pick out individual jury members. Then you have to turn to the defense table and you have to get that lawyer that was me and also my client. Then you have to go to the prosecutors. They all get one. Then you finish on the judge. Yeah, it takes forever, except on Law and Order SVU. On Law and Order SVU, we did a four page. Four pages is a lot for people who don't know page counts. If you do a television show, you are tuling if you do ten pages a day. If you do ten pages a day, that's like it's on a movie. You do one to two pages a day. So we did a four and a half page courtroom scene in like two and a half three hours. No, wow, it was amazing to watch. And again it's because the people work on Law and Order and Law and Order SVU they are the best. And I've worked on shows where people are the best, like I've done a few years on the Goldbergs. It's another group of people who are the best in terms of crew. They know how to shoot it, they know where to put the camera, they know where to put the lights. It's boom boom, boom, boom boom shoot and as actors you're not waiting a ton of time in between shots. So that was great. But again it was a lot of fun. I spent a lot of my time this time, of course, with Mariska and lots of time with her, and she is fantastic. And when you work with people who end up doing a part for a long time, a certain malaise sets in where they kind of go on automatic and they don't really they kind of give it what they have and it's good enough, good enough. Good enough is not part of Marishka's being it's not part of it. It's in this episode. I had I think two scenes with her, maybe three, and she's always working on the part and the scene, and she's always working with you. How does this work? Stephen? What if I come at it with this? What if I do? And with an intensity and it's as if it were the first time. And if somebody says, what does it take to be a star on television? That's what it takes. You have to be able to have every day be the first day with the excitement that she has and these and not only that, that's really hilarious. You know, we're working that time in all the familiar Law and Order buildings down in that area of New York City, the courthouse, the courthouse steps that we know from the regular law and all all the iconic sets of every Law and Order show. And I'm walking to the set with Mrshka and down the sidewalk in New York and policemen who are working directing traffic here there and everywhere they look and they go, morning, morning, how are you? How are you? And they're looking at her as one of their own, not as a movie star, not as a television star, but as one of their own and the respect she gets from everyone around her, and it's because she treats everyone so well. Again, it's part of the best best best, best best. And you know, when you work on those shows where people are the best, it's hard to be the best. When it's when the work is that hard and you're that successful, it's easy to get lazy. But she wasn't ever, and it's hard.
Speaker 1: You can't. Really.
Speaker 2: I don't think the show would work if you half asset because it's so dramatic and it's like all of these victims and all the guest stars are giving so much, and like you need someone that's going to show up for everybody.
Speaker 4: You need someone who's going to show up. And you know, and again, when I was doing the second show, you had the whole other cast, you know, not the cast that I knew from the first show. Chris was gone at that point. You have new DA's new people working the police Spark. All of them were fabulous. Yeah, and I wonder if it's just part of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I wonder if mister Kaman can make a return. I mean, yeah, we need to be back. Well, you could be another dirt Bags defense attorney at some point.
Speaker 4: Now in this I wasn't really quite I was ready to be a dirt bag, but in this I kind of side with the judge, going like these people are from Missouri.
Speaker 1: You know That's what's so like you to me are such a comedy actor. I know you've done it all, but like what I know you from is so much comedy. Like you just really make me laugh. And so even when you got like I didn't think you were funny as the character in Bullseye, like that was obviously more serious. But in this one, even as this defense attorney, when you go up to like give the marriage license and you're like, yeah, they're married in Missouri, I was just like laughing so hard, even though it's like wrong like this this man should not have married a thirteen year old stepdaughter, but I was like, this is too funny. You just cracked me up. So I guess I'm just telling you that and that there's no question. But do you have like a do you have a not like a preference, but do you like lean into trying to do stuff that's not comedy because you've done more comedy or do you you've done it all, but like you know. What is it when you're drawn to a role? Is it like you love the comedy, you love the drama?
Speaker 4: What well, since you're both, since you're both comedians, both comedians, I bring up from my wall of crap one of my favorite books.
Speaker 1: Let me see if I got yes.
Speaker 4: The book is Sigmund Freud Jokes and the Relationship to the Unconscious, and it is. It is a series of lectures Sigmund Freud did in Munich in nineteen fifteen on comedy, on comedy, and he said, what I'm going to do is, and you got to read this book. You would love it. As comedians, you would love this book. He has jokes, and he said, I'm not going to analyze jokes that exist. Now. What I'm going to do is, I'm going to take jokes from a generation or two past to where the actual principles of the joke don't exist anymore, so you could see what the workings of the joke are. And so he had jokes in there about matchmakers and bill collectors and all sorts of things, the village idiot and all this stuff from the eighteen hundreds. And his conclusion is that comedy is making the meaningful meaningless or making the meaningless meaningful. And when you do the one of those two things, you are able to turn a moment into comedy. So, in terms of law and orders, Bil Cayman, we're obviously in a meaningful situation because my client, honest, what may be murder right, you know, on the way to jail is some sort of thing. I'm defending him. And so if you take that meaningful situation and slip a bit of meaningless into it on an innocent line, you're honor, he's from Missouri. That it makes the meaningful meaningless and it creates comedy. So I don't try to think, well, let me, how can I be funny? But I take a look at what is the meaningful nature of the situation, and how can and is it appropriate for me to make light of the situation by making something meaningful meaningless at this time? And and uh so that's a that's a good indication, it's.
Speaker 1: A great lesson. But I don't want to take that.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't look like how can I make this funny? I just usually try to tell the truth. And if the situation, uh is ridiculous, and I take it seriously, and I'm truthful about it, it'll come out funny. And if the situation is not serious, you know, you you get the idea. You just you just make the meaningful meaningless or meaningless meaningful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've been like acting for so long and you, like we said, you have so many credits, you've done you've done it all, Like do you have any what are like, what's the Stephen Tobolowski like big advice tips on how you stay sane in this business.
Speaker 4: I don't know it's how you stay sane, but but it's like the easier tip to give someone is to say yes, to say yes, and not worry about where it's going to lead. I said yes to doing the principal on The Goldbergs. It was their second season. They weren't offering me much money. I said yes, it's okay. I was doing two other shows at the same I was doing big time in Hollywood, Florida I think at that time, which was hilarious. And I just said yes. And I ended up on the show for what eight seasons, you know, and each season, you know, I had a lot, you know, I think I ended up doing like forty episodes or something, all because I said yes. To this two line part of the principal and so just say yes beyond time. Oh, that's the biggest thing in the world of people who are late. Be on time, because I've seen people not fired for being bad actors, but I've seen him fired for being late because you are keeping fifty sixty seventy people on the hook if you don't show up on time. Yeah, so be on time, Be nice, be nice to everybody. Here's a be nice to everybody story that's very quick, but very amazing. When I was doing Groundhog Day, our scene, that first scene with me and Bill was first up, first day, and of course I was nervous as can be, and I had to everything had to be exactly the same, and it would be the same throughout the whole movie. Every time we shot that scene. I had to start on the same foot. I had to step on the same spot on the street and go, oh, fail fail with the same finger, turn my finger down, it's me ned, And I had to run up to him Ryerson, take off my hat exactly the same because it's the same day, repeated. They had an assistant director. It was his first job, a kind of lower ad, and his job was to kneel in the street, hold his finger up and when my foot touches the right brick. Because he's off camera, he would do this like there and that was my cue to turn. So I'm just walking straight kind of toward him and he's off camera and then he's like that was his job, and that's when my right foot landed on the brick. I turned, oh, fail fail each time he was there, that person Jim Kettlewyse, who ended up being my producer on Silicon Valley.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: So you know, just because the guy's pointing at the brick today doesn't mean he's going to be pointing at the brick tomorrow, you know. And it's one reason why Peter on the SVU show, you know, Bullseye, Peter Let it was so such a great, great, great, great great director of that like boom boom boom boom boom, because you take a look at his resume, he's been third a D, second AD, first AD. He had worked every angle on that set before he became a director on that show. Same thing was true in Californication. A lot of the people who began, as you know, ads on this thing worked their way up and they ended up directing. It's it is if you treat people okay and are competent, you have ability for upward movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm taking it all in. Yeah so much. Do you have anything we want to let you get on with your David? Do you have anything that you want our listeners to check out besides pool Man, that's what you talked about before here, I am.
Speaker 4: Will be out. I just finished. This is something I just finished, like a week ago. I did for the first time in my career, a Hallmark Chris this movie. Yes, and it's called hauling Out the Hive, hauling out the Ivy, hauling out the Holly, hauling out the Holly. And it's going to play Saturday night, Thanksgiving Weekend at eight o'clock. And the thing that you even if you don't like, I'd like Hallmark Christmas movies. My wife does it, you know. So we get in bed. She wants to watch Forensic Files. I'm going no, I want to watch the You're not going to get a nightmare from the Hallmark Christmas What I never knew about the Hallmark Christmas movie. And this is one reason you could watch and just be amazed by it, because I always thought what they did is they went to an area where you take a little bus up to a little area where there's snow, and they set up the set and you just do it. No, we shot the thing in a place called Sandy Utah, which is about thirty minutes from Salt Lake City. It was one hundred three to one hundred twelve or thirteen degrees every day. But if you're in the Hallmark Christmas movie, you have to wear winter clothing, and so it's that hot outside. Then you put on layers of clothes like the shirt you put on this, Then you put on a sweater, then you put on a vest and a coat, then a half in the ear, most of the gloves in one hundred and eight degrees, and they have white cloth on the ground and they're going to cegi in the snow later. And then they put fake snow on the trees that are just in the background of the shot. And they shoot an entire movie in two and a half weeks, an entire movie. And I think the reason they do it. And I saw it now on the Food Channel last night for a car Halloween Magical Pumpkins, the Pumpkin Carving show on the Food Channel. I see it, and I go like, wait a minute, that looks like the Hallmark movie technique because they have the judges all dressed up in the suits and everything like that, but they weren't as they weren't as meticulous about the people who are carving their pumpkins. And I'm going like, wait a minute, that guy's in a T shirt. What and all the judges are in the heavy gloves and all this stuff. And then I'm saying, oh, and there's no you know, yeah, the suspiration of breath. You don't see it. You know in the Hallmark movies, even the extras they had to wear hat and it was amazing and everybody did it with joy and everybody. But it is something to watch, and this particular movie will be quite amusing, I.
Speaker 1: Think amazing hauling out the Hallie, Stephen, this is the dream. Thank you so much for talking to us.
Speaker 4: Well, well it's been a joy. It's been a pleasure. And uh and I thank you. Sigmund Freud, Yes, look it up, look him look him up.
Speaker 1: Yes, we really made it. I love him. I love him so much. Yeah, he was awesome. He seems like just like remembered a lot a lot. Yeah, you see him on a set and you'd be like, Tobalau skate, Like I feel like you'd be like, I'm having a good day now, you know, like he's a great stabler. Story of them like rehearsing is so cute. I just love it. I just really love it. All in a deserted Manhattan diner. I love that all right, our post mortem for Bull's Eye.
Speaker 2: No one is trying to help, So don't trust men that are trying to help.
Speaker 1: They are guilty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are trying to get away with something, or they're trying to kidnap you.
Speaker 1: Like this is Yeah, that's such a good point. It's like, yeah, the it's always like the person that's leading the anti whatever league is like into that thing, like we talked about it, but like you know Republicans that are like no the gay agenda and then they're like tapping a toe underneath the bathroom stall. Like it's always these fucking people hiding their own thing. And but also what a good lesson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if someone doesn't want to fuck you, they're a pedophile.
Speaker 1: So that's good. No, if somebody doesn't want to fuck Olivia Benson, they're a pedophile. Yeah, truly yeah, I guess. Also I would.
Speaker 2: Say, oh, if someone says they're sister's dead, they're not. They're alive and they're hiding and they're in Delaware their sister that no one has said dead sister.
Speaker 1: They're all on the run. Person, they're on the run. But also from the beginning of the episode, like Jesus, chill out with the video games, like don't have a don't play a video game where you're raising a child while your daughter is eating pizza crusts underneath the stairs or whatever, like horrible, so sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like this is a great Red Herring And I just thought of another one that I love. Oh, the Italian guy with the disease. Oh yes, like these specific disease. It's just like shows how amazing SVU is. But like, I love this Red Herring more than anything.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that cop gross delusion or whatever was so interesting. I mean, that is like a very interesting psychological problem to have that you think every you think people in your life have been replaced with impostors, like wild Do you think all the people that think that Avril Levine has been replaced by an impostor? Do you think they have that that they all have head injuries. They all have head capgrass delusion.
Speaker 2: Head injuries can change your personality, Like that is true, Like you can be a different person forever.
Speaker 1: But you know that theory, right, that Avril Levine's fans think that she died in a car accident or something and has been replaced by a double Yeah. Yeah, I didn't know about it. I don't think until I went on tom To Carr's podcast about and I did Avril Levine. I did the Avril Levine episode of that of Tommy Mack and their podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really good podcast if you guys want to listen to it, called by your Band.
Speaker 1: And I stood by Avril Levine, the real one and the impostor. I've been on a few times. Not to brag, but have you done I did Aqua? I think I did the Backstreet Boys.
Speaker 2: I did adjust like the Simpson one with with Julia, and then I recently did because then i've because I didn't maybe I've done the Backtory, but but I didn't want to submit certain people because I think they're great and I don't need to stand by them. But the last time I went on, I got to do Miley, even though she is great.
Speaker 1: But they let me do it and maybe I'll go back again. I'm oh, yeah, because you're supposed to do people that are like not huge, like my stand by your band. Yeah, you know, it's like people.
Speaker 2: It's like you want to defend people that people are like they suck out Dave Matthews band or something like Nickelback, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would go on and stand by Dave Matthew's band, but I had been done. Oh I'm sure you know me. You know, I'm like crash into me, baby, I did not know that I met. I'm sure it was done. I did not know you were a dm BE fanatic. Oh, not a fanatic, but I love I've listened to them when I was in you know, you just get attached to shit. You listened to it like when you were sixteen to nineteen. Like, I feel like that's a lot of what people are into musically, and so I liked it. Matthews. I don't know why they got this reputation for like being douche music. I think because some of the people that listen to it are douches. But I do like the music, you know, I haven't listened to. I haven't bought any new albums lately, but you know the classics. Anyway, how did we get here? In our post mortem? We're done and.
Speaker 2: I'm going to see Moona again, so stay tuned to a future episode to hear my review of concert number too.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I can't wait now I want to go see them. But okay, let's get into what would Sister Peg do our weekly segment where we direct you to an organization, a book, an article, something to help flesh out a little bit of what we talked about on this week's episode. I didn't really think that there was much to be helped in the guy who pretends to be like a vigilante but really is a pedophile. So I decided to go with the real true crime that we based it on, And I'd like to point you guys to a website called Healthy Gamer dot gg. I don't know why gg is the dot com of it all, but there it is, and they have an article that I just wanted to point people to that's called what are the Signs of Video Game Addiction? I think we like laugh at this at this episode a little bit like, Wow, these crazy people are like neglecting their child. But I do think people can get into so into video games that it affects their life. So the site helps identify the common signs a video game addiction, as well as the differences between a habit and a full blown addiction. You can also find resources on that website to help you with the addiction and like getting paired with one of like a coach who can assist you in getting your life back. And the link to the article is in our show notes and will as always be in our Instagram stories the day the episode comes out, and then forever in our WWSPD highlight.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, And next week we're going to be doing the episode harm season nine, episode five, so get with it, watch it, and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much. Bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email. That's messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 1: At glitter Cheese. As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information. Thank you so much to our producer KC. O'Brien, and to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cotner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgarriff, Danielle Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media. Dun Dunn