Speaker 1: You look so cute. I can't even stand it. Are you in like full overalls? Fuck? Yeah, Montana, look at you go? Hi Amber, Hilela, Welcome to an Unlikely Affair.
Speaker 2: Good day, my fellows. Welcome to another episode of an Unlikely Affair.
Speaker 1: Good day, mighty, Hi babe, Hi, how are you good? Every time I look outside, I'm like, you cannot beat what you wake up to at Amber's house outside?
Speaker 2: You really can't. It really is special, it is I like the topic today. You know, I used to be afraid of this topic, but now I'm just ready to grab it by the saggy balls.
Speaker 1: You and I have a very different and I think I have a very different I don't want to say outlook, but I think we have a different relationship with money. I have different relationship with money than most of my friends. And I think your relationship with money just comes from your experiences, right, what you've seen, what you've seen your parents, go through your grandparents, and then obviously you develop certain habits, and then whoever your partner is, and as you see things, you kind of move differently when it comes to your finances. I think, and prime example is I got invited to Vegas and this person was told me that he would book my flight and hotel and to me, which is this is just in my head, right, I'm like, if you book my stuff, this is now your trip and I'm a guest, and there's some sort of control here. If I book my flight and my room, this is my trip. I can technically do whatever the fuck I want because I got myself here and I'll see you there.
Speaker 2: It means freedom by booking your own stuff. It means I'm not obligated right to show up when you want me to to be in your room if you want me to to not you know what I mean. It's it's a very weird. But I'm so curious. How do you think from the outside looking in? And know? Oh, I don't care. I would love to your perspective on how my view of money differs from your view of money. Let's get real.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't like this question because anything I are you going to get offended?
Speaker 2: I just said, okay, I'm not going to get offended, and if I do, I'll be like, wow, that hurt me.
Speaker 1: Example when which I think this is a great idea, but again, I feel like I'm turning over power to somebody, if a man wants to take you on a date and you have children, he should pay for child care if he wants to see you. That's what I think you brought that up as like an idea. I think it was one of my friends or somebody was going on a date and they didn't have and we were talking about how expensive child care is, and you had said, if a guy and I love where your head's at, just like if someone's willing to fly you out and put you up in a hotel room, get you your own room. That's supposed to be like a sweet thing. But because of my trauma, I immediately go, you want power over me. You're not paying for my stuff? Do you get what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And by the way, so I've had experience in both ponds where someone was like, here's like, I would love to take you out on a date, and I would also love to pay for your childcare for the you know, the two hours three hours that we go out.
Speaker 1: Someone's offered that, Yeah, wow, that's really nice. And then I have.
Speaker 2: People that have not you know, it's not even in the conversation. I have never taken money, but the idea, I just like the idea of them offering because it tells me more about their character and they're being thoughtful of, Like, Okay, she's a single mom. You know. It's the going rate in Los Angeles is thirty a minimum of thirty dollars an hour or thirty five dollars an hour, like most nannies or babysitters wants they want a minimum of four hours or three hours whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, so it's it.
Speaker 2: Eventually, you know, it adds up, and so especially when you're going on a first date with someone like at night, right, if you could do it during the day when the kids are in activities orre like, hey, I can grab a lunch with you or something like that, we can go for a hike, that's you know. Then it's like I don't it's fine. But I think for some women who really just can't because financially they are so strapped that total every frickin' dollar. So I think it says a lot about a guy when they can they could just offer it, you know, and I would never accept it. But I think again it's the idea of like they're being mindful and it feels good to be taken care of sometimes it really does.
Speaker 1: So that's where I mean that our relationship with money differs because I equate money to someone having control and power over me if they pay, whereas you are not as traumatized, I guess as me in that area where you can say, wow, that's thoughtful, that's sweep, and I immediately go, this is a red flag. Why would you want to pay for my stuff?
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something. I was extremely traumatized after I got divorced, extremely hush. I don't even know why. It's making me emotional. I think this is a bigger moment for me right now because it's just a reflection of the work that I've done. And I want that freedom for you so badly because it's just taking your power back. Someone could think that they have power over you because of money, right, but really they don't. It's up to you to say, like, no, you should be doing that out of the kindness of your heart. It doesn't mean that I owe you anything. There's never there. This is not like an exchange, right unless there's an agreement beforehand. But I had to do a lot of work around my relationship with money because I gave up a lot of my twenties fighting for a career because I was conflicted, right, Like, I had a husband that was making movies all around the world at that time, and I was like, God, I want to be a woman who has, you know, following my pa as an actor. But I also have these two little kids that I didn't want to leave at home by themselves with a nanny, and it was really really hard, and so like, I think I would be in a very different financial position had I said, you know what, I'm going to go out and I'm going to go do what I want and I'm going to be selfish. And some women are career women and that's the choice that they make. I just couldn't do it because that's not the like you said, that's not the life that I came from. I watched my mom and dad build a business out of our three car garage that they converted to a two car garage as a construction company, and my mom was doing it all. Like my mom had no help. She was juggling taking three kids to basketball, golf like when we were in youth group like you name it, and then helping my dad run his business, and then on top of that, taking care of the like the house right, the cooking, the cleaning, the you know, the whatever. We had a horse, we had a goat at some at one point. It's really hard as a woman, and I still struggle with this, like big time. It's a it's a big thing, and I think a lot of women feel, you know, conflicted because at the same time, a lot of households needs they need two incomes. Life is just expensive now, so people don't have a choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did. I'm I feel badly the way that I said that to you, because I do know how hard your divorce was and how much you gave up. So when I when I said we have a different relationship, I meant in the present moment, because I do know how much you gave up, and I do know what that looked like when you guys parted ways, and how dirty you were done. Yeah, so I feel like I had to take this moment to tell you that I was not trying to diminish the work that you've done or what you went through and how difficult the relationship you've had with money and how it's evolved during the years. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to do that.
Speaker 2: No, I no, no, no, I don't apologize. I please don't apologize, because it wasn't that. The moment that I'm having now is like it's it's hard work. And when you say that you don't have that yet, I get emotional because I knew you were. I was in that position that you were, and I want that for you. You deserve to be taken care of and go out and have a bad ass career right and make your own money like you deserve that you It's not one or the other. In my opinion. It doesn't have to be with the right person. It doesn't have to be. So I want that. And yeah I was. I was done real fucking dirty in my divorce and I wanted my family and I wasn't smart, and you know, I signed a prenup when I when I was in the marriage, and it was it was bad, it was really bad. But I wanted so badly for my at the moment meant right, because I was still so sick. I wanted my family together so badly that I was willing to go to any length and if that meant I got nothing, in my mind, that meant I got nothing. I got the one thing that I got nothing, But I got everything At the same time, I got the one thing that I always wanted was my family. In the end, I made a lot of really dumb mistakes and maybe one day I'll write a book about what not to do. But would I sign a prenup again? If if I meet the right person and they ask, yes, I would, But I would be very it would be it would be different, right. I have a different relationship with money and what a prenup represents because mine was done while we were married, right after there was a lot of infidelity, so it was not done on the basis of if this marriage falls apart. The marriage was already falling apart. And then it was like shoving papers down my face, you have to sign this. Yeah, you were in your and he was already out of the house, and he already out of the house.
Speaker 1: And you were in your most vulnerable state going through a morning process. And can I tell you I almost gave up vander Pump rules for him.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had asked me to do that. And I remember being in a parking garage being like, Okay, I I think I'm going to do that. This is this is worth giving that up for. And my mom was like, what the fuck are you talking about? Absolutely not. Thank god I did it.
Speaker 2: Thank God we have women in our life, Like I know, if you were to come to me, or my mom were to come to me, or any other woman that I really trust in my life and say Amber, what the fuck? I would now I would now listen Because I had people telling me that I had attorneys saying do not sign this document, and I was like, I am signing it my family. I want my kids. I didn't want my kids to come from a broken home. So that prenup slash post up, whatever the you want to call it, because I remember I never knew what to call it. It represented so much for me. But now guess what, Like I'm sober, I'm wise, I'm like I'm stepping into a relationship with different intentions. If I choose to get married, it's like you just get to rewrite, rewrite what has been done. I don't know, That's what I feel.
Speaker 1: Can you still do this may sound so dumb? Can you still do some sort of documentation? Like if you choose not to get married, does can you still have like a prenup? Because let's say you're in a partnership, a committed relationship with someone for twenty seven years. Okay, it's a long time. Some vitual marriages signed licenses don't even last twenty seven years. So in that timeframe, you guys break up. I guess it would depend on what state you live in because of common law marriage. But I'm wondering because, as you know, I don't want to get married, but I feel like there needs to be some sort of documentation, whether you would still call that a prenup or not. I don't know where it's like, even if we have like a long life together and we build a lot, whatever is yours is yours, whatever is mine is mine, and we just get to part ways and call it a day, Like, I still feel like you have to have some sort of agreement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I know that the laws have definitely changed. Whereas like if you were married for ten years you would get alimony for life. That is not the case anymore, I believe, not corn I think that that's actually changed, like or you could at least argue that you could have whatever document in your marriage. There's this guy, There's an attorney in New York that I follow. He's a very Instagram social media famous, and he talks about some of the weird things that people put in their pre nups, like weird like if you gain more than fifteen pounds, like fucked up stuff like not normal, unhealthy.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you, though, I don't know that that would actually hold up in court, because I remember during my prenup process I said, I want a clause in there that says, if you cheat, I get X. I remember my attorney being like, we can absolutely put that in there, but just know what we want. If it makes it into like litigation where you guys are at each other's throats because this doesn't work out, it's gonna get thrown out. That's not it's kind of It reminds me of when couples put in their agreement you can't introduce somebody, like during a custody case, you can't introduce the child to a partner unless you've been dating that person for at least a year. And it's like, Okay, that sounds really beautiful. I'm glad you guys could agree on that and you both signed off baptida. Let's just say one person breaks that rule and you're furious and you're like, I'm going in to see a judge. The judge would be like, I'm taking this out because you can introduce whoever the fuck you want to this child. There's just certain things that you may sign off on, but once it hits a judge, the judge can say, I'm vetoing this. It's stupid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I think when you're in high net worth divorce cases, it goes more probably into mediation and then and sometimes you have to mediate and you can't go to trial, like you have to do mediation first, right, right, And.
Speaker 1: It also depends on where you are. I think there's some states that would be like, yes, we take infidelity very seriously. You have to pay for that. California. I remember we were talking about infidelity and they were like, you want to know what they said to me, Welcome to Hollywood, La La. I go, that doesn't fucking work for me. Sorry, doesn't work for me.
Speaker 2: Wait, I have a question. Did you guys have a prenup done before you guys we're gonna get married.
Speaker 1: We were in the process. I don't know if I've ever asked you this. We were in the process of doing the prenup and the next phone call to my lawyer was I'm leaving him, and I need a case number so that I can leave this fucking house with my child in tow and have him not call the police on me. So he goes, oh, that was this that changed very quick Amber. I wish that I could. The day those photos came out October fifteenth, I remember it like it was yesterday. I was blowing Daryl up. I said, Daryl, I need a fucking family attorney immediately. I'm leaving this person and I need to be teed up with my daughter now. Today it was like nine pm and I got a phone call from the family lawyer. That was like things changed quickly. I was just looking over your prenup. I thought that's why you called. I was like, no, oh mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You can't fucking write this.
Speaker 1: I know. And I remember the girl who was assigned in my case. She was like, la, la, just because I would call every day, where's my case number? Where's my case number? I can't leave without my kid. I he will call the police on me, He's told me. She was like, you just got a hang tight, I promise, see what's going to happen. And it was on The pictures came out October fifteenth, and it was October twenty seventh that I knew what I had to do make him feel comfortable enough to get the fuck out of town, and so I did. I remember walking down the stairs and I called him, babe, and I felt like I was gonna throw up, and I told him, I think I'm almost ready to let you back in the bedroom. We're gonna work through this, and then he was he had to get to Florida next day. He leaves. He's so sad, he doesn't want to go. Amber he just doesn't want to go. And I said, I'm gonna be here when you get back. It's fine. Do what you need to do. As he left, I hit him with the phone call and said, you know, we don't need the nanny to come in or the housekeeper or anybody today because we're going to be out of the house and I'm going to take the kids because it's going to be my mom's last day. And he goes, your mom's going to go home. I was like, yeah, she's gonna leave tomorrow. She's flying out. His assistant calls me, Now he really thinks we're all good, Right, Lisa, the mediator is going back home Waters are calm. Assistant hits me, he's on the plane. I call my gaze. I was like, roll up the fucking minivans. They fucking roll up the mini vans. Jessica's covering every single camera with paper or so it looks like maybe we just had a package and they covered the camera outside.
Speaker 2: FedEx put the stamp, missed package, miss signature package.
Speaker 1: Packed whatever. I coult into those cars and was out that bitch amazing.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, long winded story about a prenup. So, in other words, yes, it was done, but it quickly turned into a custody custody paperwork instead. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wish I had a different experience, but you know.
Speaker 1: What, Amer you were about twelve. I don't exactly I it would have gone very very differently had I been younger and not sober, So give yourself some grace.
Speaker 2: Out of the entire prenup, the only thing, well not the only thing, but one of the biggest things, the biggest, like ninety percent of my ah, Man, I really fucked up was I left the house. I should have asked for a house because let me tell you why. I begged him to buy a house, and we almost came close to buying many houses several times to have that like foundation to raise our children. Right, it was about like putting down roots somewhere, and he would never do it. He never We went from renting a house.
Speaker 1: We moved.
Speaker 2: I moved in my marriage. So I was married almost eight years. We moved seven times in eight years, every year, almost every year except for one house we stayed eighteen months. I was packing my entire family up and moving, and of course he was quote working when we were in the moving process. And that's the biggest regret is that I should have said, no, you want to go out and you you want to be with Laala, you want to go fuck other women, whatever you want to do, but you need to give me a house so I can continue to raise our children. Let me tell you something, I'm as much as I it really hurts me. Right, I don't think I would be where I am today.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't be right.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have the drive, I wouldn't have the the like. I'm going to show my girls that, like, you can stand on your own two feet if you have the willingness to do uncomfortable things.
Speaker 1: And you've done a lot of uncomfortable things. Zamber and what you you know, I know that there's a lot that you gave up when you decided to, like, you know, really hone in on your family. I think it was Lily what is her name, She's the British singer Lily Allen, And she said, you cannot have it all. You cannot have a thriving career, be a present mother, be the wife that is a housewife. You can't be all of those things. And I think, yes, if you look back, you could say I picked this, that and the other, and I should have been smart and I should have done that. But the way and I know that your kids are at a difficult age right now. What age isn't difficult. I'm like, have a two year old, it's a really difficult age. But you can just tell how safe they feel. You're their rock. There's there's a bond there that I don't think you can always feel because you're in the thick of it. But as an outsider, you know, you're like Riley's at a stage where she's not nice to me, and I'm like, well, she calls you about four hundred times a day, so there's gotta be something.
Speaker 2: If they're punching bag. I am their punching bag.
Speaker 1: That is. But they know that there's unconditional love there. You are going nowhere, You're always going to show up, You're always going to pick them. They have watched you pick up your life and make really hard decisions, leaving when it doesn't suit you anymore, forgiving when you feel like something becomes a cancer and you need to let it go. You have really done an amazing job. And I think you need to give yourself credit. And I think at this stage of your life is now when you're going to reap the benefits of the financial aspect of things. Now is your time that thank you.
Speaker 2: That felt like a little like.
Speaker 1: Psychic it did it? Did it?
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 1: I felt like you were reading me.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait, tell me more.
Speaker 1: I just feel that way. You know, I think you did. I believe you did it the right way. And the road was really, really tough. But look at the bright side of having kids so young. You're thirty seven, You're fucking hot. Your life is far from over. Most people have kids much later, and by the time they're raised in on their own it's like, oh my god, now is when I start. It's a pretty intense feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the problem now, I'm just just I'm tired, like you know, because I've been doing it since I was you know, my mom started when she was sixteen, and I think about her and I'm thinking, like, why does like my mom was so young, And now I get why she's tired because she's been You know, even when you're sleeping, you're still thinking about your kids. Subconsciously, You're still worried about your kids, you know what I mean. So, but no, I'm really I'm I will I'll say this. I'm more driven than I've ever been. I have a clear idea of what I want. I have goals that I want and I've said this to you privately off of the podcast. I have this internal knowing that everything is going to work out, and it's I don't even know what it is. It's just like I feel like I trust myself for the first time, whereas I could never be in control of my life, my finances, trust myself in a relationship because I didn't one, I didn't grieve my marriage that happened. I got really honest with myself, became sober, have a genuine, honest, loving, healthy relationship with you I'm honest with my kids, and I always tell my kids the truth. And I'm like, oh, okay, this is when life can get really big and good if I just keep showing up and not trying to control everything and just surrender, like surrender what they teach us in the program. It's a program of action, and you just have have to have faith and not the kind of faith that I grew up in the Mormon Church that to me was like a faith that was not I couldn't relate to it right, that was like textbook faith. Now it's like i sit outside with my cup of coffee and I'm meditating and I'm listening to my Alan Watts and I'm listening you know, reading you know AA material and I'm praying and I'm thinking, okay, God, I'm connecting to you now, like I really get connected. And it's like, okay, I'm gonna be Okay, it's good, it's fucking good. Let's go, let's go.
Speaker 1: I always think of Danny from the Valley when someone says let's go. No, don't worry about it now, I'm only going to think of you. I will say this because this is going to be and I believe I've talked about this before, but I want to tell you I don't knock anybody's hustle. Right, if you are a quote unquote sugar baby and you've got a guy who's paying your rent, or for your car, or buying you bags and shoes and all the things, I would demand. Whatever my rent is, I need the same amount in cash. Whatever that bag costs, I'm gonna need the same amount in cash. You don't want to do that, then I don't want the bag, and I want the fucking cash. You have to fucking be smart. You can't do anything with paid rent. You can't do anything with a paid car, you can't do anything with a fucking Louis bag. It all looks very cute, but when when you tap out and you enter thirty and he goes and finds his twenty something year old and you're no longer the sugar baby because you're too fucking old. You're like, well, daddy stacked me up, so I really don't give a fuck. I've got enough money now to go buy my own house. Well, that's a business.
Speaker 2: When you're in that kind of relationship, it's like a yes, it's a different type of business.
Speaker 1: So it is a business. It's just it's George J me because I'm young and hot and will fuck you like a stripper. And I'm dating you because you have money. So now it's time to show me how much you really got, Like, are you actually a brokester? Because I'm gonna need I'm going to need both. That would be my that would be my advice to anybody who's sugar babying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, cash is everything, And I would take and I'd put it a little bit in the stock market because it's me. I love a good stock market, love a good stock market, baby, I love a good by the way like account. Right before this, I went on my my my app that I use, and I was like, all right, we've really got to turn things around, Like we've got to do some deep diving because the market's not doing that great right now as of today. But no, you have to be smart with your money. And that's the thing.
Speaker 1: And if he takes you to Vegas and gives you chips, don't gamble, just go cash them in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and go buy yourself a coffee and people watch. Oh, there was a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Yep, move smart, move smart Ladies, get the prenup, get the cash and the chanel. That's what I say. I've learned a lot in my whole days. And never quit your job for a man.
Speaker 2: Never never sorry.
Speaker 3: That was really preach, bitch, Never prayant, never quit your job ever, because remember, your career will never wake up in the middle of the night and tell you it doesn't love you anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna leave you with that, Lady Gaga, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: That was your That was an epic sign off. Thank you everybody for another great episode of an unlikely affair. Amen, I love you, Amber, love you too, baby girl. We'll catch you next week.
Speaker 1: Bye.