Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Get in on the action with the Draftking sports Book and official sports betting partner of the NBA. New customers who deposit five dollars or more can get a no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars back in bonus bets. How cool of a deal is that. All you have to do is download the Draft King sports Book app now takes ninety seconds, and use the code colin cli n This is the best deal you're going to find. New customers. It's a no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars if your first bet loses. How cool is that only at Draftking sports Book code is Colin. The crown is yours?
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and Y, or text hope and Y four six seven three six NINEY. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gamb called eighty eight seventy nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort KS licensee partner Golden Nugget Lake Charles twenty one plus age varies by jurisdiction Voyden, Ontario. Bonus bets expired one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Se Sportsbook dot DraftKings dot com, slash Basketball terms for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and Responsible gaming Resources.
Speaker 1: What's up, everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. We're back from All Star break, which means there was a game last night versus the Lackers, uh Doves, guys win. A couple more things we'll talk about on this episode, But first, I hope you all checked out the Jamal Crawford episode. They're released earlier this week. We recorded that at All Star Weekend at the great legendary Hinkle Fieldhouse on Butler University's campus. Thank you to Butler coaches Coachtadmada Mariy's Joseph John Diebler for allowing us to use the facilities. It was great to step in there. You know, hinklefield House is one of those basketball places that when you go there, you just feel the magic in there. Actually got an opportunity to watch the game, go check out Butler versus Creighton. Creighton ended up taking the game, which was a big game for Butler's type playoff or NCAA tournament hopes. But like I said, just to fill that environment, to be in in an arena like that and then have an opportunity to shoot our episode there with Jamal was great and very fitting because that was a high level basketball conversation and in a setting like that, it's only right. So if you haven't checked that out, go to our YouTube page. Check that out. Make sure you subscribe to our YouTube page. For those of you that had to to the volume page a while ago, it is a different YouTube page and that is Jackson.
Speaker 4: YouTube dot com, slash at Draymond Green showre.
Speaker 1: It is boom. So make sure you all go check that out, go subscribe. We're waiting on you. Let's do it. Then, after we get into a couple of topics, we will have a mail back section where we will take some of your questions. Jackson will fire them away. I will fire some answers before we get out of here. But let's get into it. Only right that we talk All Star Break, coming out of All Star Break or All Star Weekend, the All Star Game in particular, and Saturday coming out of All Star Weekend. Number one There's been a lot of fuss about. I saw Steven A. Smith say Lebron James killed the single handedly killed the dunk contest, And as you all know, we love Stephen A. Smith. It's those statements that just does not sit well with me. It's just like so far fest Like, hey man, there's one guy who did not participate in the dunk contest single handily killed the dunk contest, and that just can't be factual because the reality is when Lebron James would have been in the dunk contest, which was like twenty years ago, literally twenty years ago. There has been several great dunk contests since. So for Stephen A to say Lebron James single handedly destroyed the dunk contest, it's quite the reach and it's not quite accurate because that means we doesn't get Zach Lavine dunk contest performances. If I'm not mistaken, he won three dunk contests. But I'm for sure too. We don't get Dwight Howard in a dunk contest. We don't get Nate Robinson winning dunk contest since Lebron James one could have been in a dunk contest those around Tom Jason Richardson was winning Dunk Contest, and so there's been so many great dunk contests. And by the way, let me not forget, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, because it's ridiculous the great Aaron Gordon and dunk contests. Aaron Gordon is still the best dunk contest performer we've ever seen to not have a Dunk Contest trophy. It's absolutely insane. I know his I know he's a bit in his feelings about it, and I get it. I would be too, and I know he has an ego about it, and I get it. I think he should get back in there, though, because he needed that crown and there's no zach Lavine, so I think he should get back in there. I've already said my piece before about g leaguers being in the Dunk Contest like a part of being in the Dunk Contest and being a part of All Star Weekend, it's being in the NBA. Mac mcclum's my guy. As I told y'all, he came to camp with us, great, great, good dude, But you kind of got to be in the NBA. To be in the NBA Dunk Contest. If not, then we should just go get like all of those guys off of those Dunk squads and all that, and like say, hey man, this is just a show we're putting on. It's not necessarily All Star Weekend. So we got that. Let's get Aaron Gordon back in the Dunk contest or because the Dunk Contest is thirty years old, and maybe it's time to think a little outside the box and come up with some different events, because you know, it's just the reality. All things come to an end, All great things must come to an end, So maybe it's just time to explore that. I don't know that's neither here nor there, but the Dunk Contest is pretty bad, to say the least. So Aaron Gordon, the Dunk Contest needs you. And that's not as far as the reach as Lebron James single handedly destroying the Dunk Contest. I know it's a slow Dan media. I know, stephen A. There was no game, Stephen. They needed to draw some people in. I get it. I understand. When I saw that, I was just like, WHOA, come on, Steven, It's been too many great ones since then. And moving on, the All Star Game absolutely pathetic. It's ridiculous. And to see guys like and by the way, I have some suggestions on ways to fix it, But to see guys like Anthony Edwards, who's a lot of people are helling as the next face of the league like blatantly say we don't care, we don't want to play, we don't want to be there. To me, that was a bit disheartening because it's one thing that Steph Curry don't want to be there. It's one thing if Lebron James doesn't want to be there. That's one thing if even Luca, who you know sits on the fence of what I'm about to say, but it's been there five times Joker five six times. And so in saying all of that, for Anthony Edwards, who was in his first All Star game that he was actually voted into last year, was his first All Star game playing and he was a replacement saying like, ah, we don't want to be here, I don't want to play. Like a big deal on guys resumes is All Star Game m VP. We've seen Kobe win it over years, Ai Shaq, lebron kd Steph, Like when you look at the guys. I don't understand why a young Anthony Edwards wouldn't want his names sketched in stone next to the likes of those guys in anything, because anytime you can be next to the likes of those guys, I just don't understand why you wouldn't want that. And so to play defense backwards to shoot left handed threes, I thought that was a little outlandish. I thought it was a little crazy and, like I said, a little disheartening just because of who he is, who we all think he is going to be to this league. And a part of being the face of the NBA, and I keep seeing so many people talk about being the face in the NBA. A part of being the face in the NBA is also being a steward of the game, a steward of the NBA. When you look at Lebron James and how long he's been the face of the NBA, you look at Steph Curry and being one of the faces of the NBA, they're stewards of the game of all things NBA. As the face of the NBA, you're kind of in direct partnership with the NBA to continue to move this thing forward and so, and maybe Anthony Edwards doesn't want to be the face of the NBA because everybody don't want that. And I get it, like there's different things that comes with being facing NBA that not everybody wants, and he's entitled to want that. But if Anthony Edwards is who I think he is, somebody needs to be teaching him that. If he is who I think he is, which I think he is exactly who I think he is, and so someone need to tell him it's about more than just being good at basketball, Like, you actually have to be a great partner to be face of the NBA. And that's just kind of what it boils down to. When you're the face of a franchise, you have to do more than those that don't At media day, you have to do more than those that aren't the face of the NBA face of a franchise. Steph Curry's media day is a little bit longer than ours because he is the face of the Golden State Warriors. Well, guess what that same thing goes for being the face of the NBA. If you ask Adam Silver how great of a partner Lebron James has been, I'm not sure he'd be able to come up with the words to explain to you how great of a partner he's been. If you ask Adam Silver how great of a partner Steph Curry has been, I'm not sure he could come up with the words to let you know how great of a person, how great of a partner Steph Curry has been as far as the NBA goes. So I'm gonna need these young guys to take some notes on what it means to be the face of the NBA, because it's not just being good at basketball. There's been a lot of people to be good at basketball come through the NBA. Even great come through the NBA and has not been the face of the NBA. So understand what you're speaking on, Understand what you're asking for, Understand what's being asked of you. If you want to drop your hat, your name in that bucket. And by the way, no one's going to decide that. It just kind of naturally happens. No one really decided that Lebron James was going to be the face of the NBA. Oh, he was the chosen one. And although he had all the hype that he had, Lebron James became the face of the NBA way faster than everyone thought he would. You probably thought Kobe was gonna be the face of the NBA when Lebron Jay all of a sudden became the face of the NBA. Why because it just happens. Adam Silver doesn't come and say, okay, now the face is boom. It just don't happen that way. It just naturally happens. And it naturally happens is because, or in large part, because those guys are stewards of a game. So young guys take some notes. As far as the All Star Game goes. One thing the NBA should understand is how much like, for instance, we have a game today. As soon as I finish this, I'm going to start going to do game prep, core, activation, flow movement, getting my hips and things moving and flowing, little spin on the bike just to get the blood flowing. It's ten twenty three am. We play a seven. Where are you going with this, draight man. It's called game day for a reason because everything you do that day is to prepare for the game. So it's called game day. The All Star Game. You do a million other things before the game, including on the court, warming up for fifty minutes, sixty minutes warming up, and then you're asking the highest level of athletes, which means they understand their bodies at the highest level, to then go exert an extreme amount of energy. And it's easy to say the guys before you did it. Number one, guys weren't training the way we train. All the core activations and different things weren't the thing. Because all of those things has elevated and grown as time has grown. We learn more about the body, we do more as time go on. There wasn't so many media obligations because media wasn't as big as it is now. There wasn't as many partnerships, sponsorship obligations. You know why, because the NBA wasn't as big, so there wasn't as many partners There weren't as many sponsors. So it's very easy to say Kobe took the gethers, and Kobe did. And by the way, we all want to see guys take the game serious. But it's easy to say Mike mj took the game serious. There was four sponsors, there's forty. There's forty now maybe more, just throwing a random number out there. So if you want the game to be a game. Then on Sunday, you need to make sure that guys can prepare for what a game, which means the NBA should be covering physios being there. Steph Curry has a physio that he works with before the game. The NBA should be covering that physio's travel, that physio's hotel room, that physio being at the arena doing what Getting Steph Curry's body ready to play a game, Getting Luka Donca's body ready to play a game. Everybody keeps saying, oh man, raise it up to a million dollars. That's when you're gonna get guys hurt. Because if it's the same obligations that it's been, all the things that you have to do to where you can't focus on getting your body ready for a game, and then you're gonna say, hey, here's a bright, shiny object that is a million dollars. Everybody, now go play hard and go get the million dollars. That's when you're gonna get guys getting hurt. Why because they are exerting energy to get a million dollars and not properly prepared to exert that energy. Bodies aren't prepared to go that hard. So then you start talking about injuries. That's when guys are gonna get hurt. So if we want this to be a real game, let's make this a real game day. Let's allow these guys to prepare for a proper game day, if that's what we're asking. If that's what we're asking, you can't say, hey, man, you get no time to go through your game routine, but then we need you to go play like you're playing in the game. That never works. Anybody who knows anything about preparing for an NBA game knows what goes into preparing for the game, and it's an All Star does not allow you to do that. So if we want the big show, if we want the corporate sponsors and all of those things, if those things are going to continue to be what's of most importance, then let's not say we're sick of the All Star game being bad. But if we want the game to be what's most important, then those are a couple of the changes that we need to make. Yes, it'll be great to up the money. You got all these sponsors coming in saying hey, they want to be a part of All Star Weekend. You look at all Star weekends. Thence that's not an Indiana crowd, that's a crowd full of corporate sponsorships, which takes me to another point. Having these All Star All Star Weekend used to be a draw. All Star Weekend used to be a big thing. Not quite the super Bowl. Nothing is the super Bowl, but All Star Weekend was a thing. It was a thing culturally. It was a thing for the NBA like NBA fans, it was a big thing. It's all just corporate stuff now. And so I said all that to say, we give these teams home court per se stink A where the All Star Games has been the last three years. Those aren't fun places to go. But again, you're acting guys to give up the break to be in these cities. At least we can do is put it in great cities or you know, Miami where guys want to go, Los Angeles where guys want to go. San Francisco. Everybody doesn't want to quite come to San Francisco. San Francisco is a great city. I don't think anybody's looking at going to San Francisco like they're looking at going to Utah or to Cleveland or Indianapolis. So Phoenix like put the put it back in places where people want to go. Vegas, we just saw the best Super Bowl I've ever seen in Vegas. Or you know what you can say, if Indiana is supposed to host this year, it's going to be in the Bahamas. Guys want to go to the Bahamas. Guys will take their families there and make a whole week out of it. Great. Guess what you also get other NBA players that's not all stars there m Or say Salt Lake City is supposed to host it, then it's in Hawaii. Salt Lake Cities, Utah Utah Jazz are still a host, but it's in Hawaii. And say it's in Waikiki. Local sponsorship dollars you give back to the to the city. God's gonna go make a whole week vacation out of it with their families. It's a desirable place to go all start weekend becomes a draw again. Maybe I don't think that's very far fetched. The game is starting at eight forty five, so late. The only thing guys can think of is I need to get out of here, get to my plane so I can get the cobo ho start the game at five. I don't know, these are just a couple of suggestions and things that I saw with my own eyes. Shout out to the Turner family, by the way out the outcast, we got great reviews on Taylor Rooks, Charles Barkley, Jamal Crawford, myself. Shout out to the team. Great work at All Star. It's a beautiful thing, has so much fun. Absolutely incredible. Taylor. I think it's great. You always heard me talk about that before. Charles Barkley is the easiest person to work with in America. He's the best. Jamal Crawford working the sidelines. How who's working the interviews that he got amazing. Thank you to the Turner family. That was great. I'm sorry I keep saying Turner TNT Sports family. That was great. Thank you. Also, thank you to all of y'all who to him. Then. But back to this All Star game, make it a real game. Yes, raise the money because if we're making this all about corporate sponsors, then they need to put more money in to those players. Reward the team that wins, but allow guys to have a proper game day. If you want one that type with play, if you want that type of effort, make it a real game Day. We've all had a frustrate and experience buying tickets, even me. You all know I love to go to concerts shows and it can be hard to find last minute tickets. You shouldn't have to worry when you buy tickets to your next big event. Game Time is the fast and easy way to buy tickets to all the sports, music, comedy, and theater shows near you. I'm looking through the game Time app right now and it's really easy to find tickets at different price points. I know it isn't cheap to see the Doves play anymore, but we got some fun matchups coming up versus the Lakers, the Mavericks, and more. Game Time is the only ticket and app that gives you complete peace of mind with your purchase. They have all in pricing so you know exactly how much you're going to pay, Plus the game Time guarantee means you'll always get the best price. Take the guestwork out of buying tickets with game Time. Download the game Time app, creat an account and you here's the cold word green for twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply. Create an account and use the cold word green g R E E N for twenty dollars off download game time today last minute tickets lowers price guaranteed. In other news, the Duves beat the Lakers last night one twenty eight one ten no Lebron Steph thirty two and eight six to thirteen from three wigs twenty points, continuing to play at a high level. Trady seventeen points and five rebounds in fifteen minutes off the bench. Klay Thompson name will not show up here, but the impact Klay Thompson had on the game was absolutely incredible. Week side tags, the drop offs, he's getting, the trace for layups. Clay had five assists. I think four of them was for dunks and layups to trace. Maybe all five of them. Had a great floor game, missed great shots, had great looks. We know he'll make those absolutely amazing game played by Clay and it won't show up in a statue, so nobody will look and be like, wow, Clay played a great game. Clay was incredible last night and one of the keys to us winning that game. It was great to beat the Lakers. Obviously we're right there in the standings. I think us beating them last night game and one more lost than us, although we haven't played the same amount of games, so we're still half game or so behind in the standards. But I thought that was a pretty good win for us, obviously, to keep a roll and win into the break playing really well, and to come out the break playing the way we did. It's great. Jackson wanted me to talk to y'all about my three point percentage. I am not, don't jink Smith. We're not going to talk about that. We're going to lead that thing floating where it is and keep on putting them things up. That's what we're gonna do. Always looking forward to playing against Lebron with the matchups that we've had over these years. Obviously sucks that he didn't play last night, but you gotta play who they suit up, and we will take the win. Who knows that win may come back and be important for us later, so we will take it, and like I said, it's good for us to come out to break. Now. We got another game tonight versus the Charlotte Hornets, who is playing a lot better since the trade deadline. I think, if I'm not mistaken, they've won four or five games in a row. Four in a row, and they went to Utah and got a good win last night. It's important for us to continue to take care of our home court. Two more games on this homestand before we head out on a Washington, New York nick Toronto, Boston road trip, four game East coast road trip. East coast road trips are never easy, so it's important that we take care of home court tonight. And then also knowing that Sunday is going to be a tough game. It's Denver, always a tough game defending champions, so it's important that you handle the ones you're supposed to handle. In Tonight is one that we are supposed to win. So it's important for us to keep it rolling and make sure we close out this home standing the right way. And lastly, everybody want me to talk about Isaiah Stewart only getting suspended for three games for punching Drew u Banks, and everyone wants to know my thoughts on this. I'm never in favor of people getting suspended and losing money, So you're not gonna get me to be like, oh man, he should have got suspended for more games. Nope, that's not who I am, it's not how I roll. I think the only thing you could talk about is consistency. But I don't really even care to talk about that because I'm not in favor of anybody getting suspended and losing money. It's how we feed our families. Not gonna sit here and castraate Isaiah Stewart number one, start castrating people and don't be knowing the full story on anything. And I don't know the full story on that much love to Isaiah Stewart. I'm also not about to sit here and say I hope he get the help he needs, not the rout Draymond is going. I got love for the young fella. He is who he is, be who you be, y'all figure it out and moving on. Lastly, before we get to the mail back questions, JJ Reddit versus Doc Rivers and Patrick Beverley and Austin Rivers and who else whoever else? Things got spicy and JJ went in and the gist of it was pretty much him calling Doc out and saying, Doc, stop making excuses. You keep making excuses, you keep blaming guys, you keep doing this, you keep enough, stop it. And I saw JJ apologize and said, listen, my tone I looked a little hot in my tone could have been better. But I'm not apologizing for what I said. I meant every word that I said, and I agree with JJ. When I been watching these DOC interviews, these guys were in Cabo, that guy was here. We didn't something didn't go right. It's only been two days. Every interview is another excuse, and that just can't work. Like, you knew what you were signing up for, DOC, You took over a team more than halfway through the season, through the halfway mark of the games of the season, if I'm not mistaken, three and seven in the last ten, you knew what you was getting yourself into. You knew the issues that the team had before you got there. You knew all of these things. You can't you can't go make excuses now because you were actually brought in to fix those very thing and so you can't come and make the same excuses of the things that we already knew, because if that's the case, then you couldn't really accept the job with all that money that they gave you. DOC. So I totally understand where JJ was coming from. Pap Bev understood where JJ was coming from, and Austin Rivers understood where JJ was coming from. And the reason you know they understood where JJ was coming from is because they never said anything about what JJ said. What they did was attack JJ's playing career and say Doc saved your career. What all Doc did for you for your career? Now, if I was watching JJ's hit, it did come off as a little like I got a little animosity built up from my planning days under Doctor. I'm getting them all out now. It did come off a bit that way, But I played for tom Izzo, and playing for tom Izzo you learned something early, you learn it fast, and you get the lesson often, which is listen to what I'm saying, now how I'm saying it. So I listened to what JJ said, not how he was saying. And although again I did get the same gist that you all got, JJ might not like Doc. I did get that a little bit. But more importantly, I heard what JJ was saying, and what he was saying was very active. We cannot have the excuses Doc. I love Doc, as you all know, I've stated that on this podcast several times, nothing but love for Doc. But every press conference it cannot be a different excuse. And we all wanted to be in Cabo. My Cowbo days got even shortened because I had to go to Indianapolis for my TNT Sports family, which was great. I wouldn't change it for none in the world. Enjoy that had a blast. It was money, but we all wanted to be in Cowbo. That is your role as the coach to make sure them guys ready to play. That is Johannis and Dane's role as leaders, to make sure guys are ready to play before the also break. So I get where JJ was coming from. And nobody disputed the things that JJ said. They almost were disputed how it came off, which you mean it was facts? So Dot, we can't do the excuses. Dot. We love you, man, but you gotta get that team going. That's what they hired you for. You knew the challenges before you took the job. You took the job. You there gotta do what you gotta do to write that ship. Dot Jackson before we get out of here, got some questions for me I do I do?
Speaker 4: Thank you guys for asking the questions. We're gonna do this every time we have a Bleacher Report Live episode. First one from at Channing, What do you see Trace Jackson? Davis's role on the team being going forward.
Speaker 1: You know as a rookie, uh what you say? His name is at Channing. As a rookie, always hard to get consistent minutes because things change from time to time and you are usually the first one to get your minutes. Teeter with and saying that Trace has a very good connection with Clay, And what young guys should understand is that will get you on the floor. When I was a rookie, you go watch it, I'd agreeciously, like come from anywhere on the floor, like, hey, hunting stuff. Man, It's set screens, It created chemistry. It got me on the floor. So you gotta understand the things that I can get you on the floor. And if I I know how important Klay Thompson is to this team, so if I can build a connection with him, that gets me minutes. So trade should understand that where what his role will be is what he is when he's in Florid, when he's on the floor, he's a room protector, he's a live threat. He's streaming and rolling, rebounding to basketball. That's what that's what his role would be. How much that will be you gotta talk to Steve Carroll nowl.
Speaker 4: Next question from at t dot underscore dreally, are you guys legit title contenders this season?
Speaker 1: I believe that we are legit title title contenders this season. I don't see any team out there that we couldn't beat. Obviously, the Cars got a fall in place. Obviously a lot of things gotta go your way. Obviously you need some luck. That's just the nature of winning championships. But I don't see any team in the NBA that we can beat and compete for a title. And Mama, we still got that. Man. We are.
Speaker 4: Staying on the topic of title contenders and sort of connecting it back to your conversation about Doc. Do you think the Bucks sorry this is from at Jake's Steak. Do you think the Bucks have a legit title shot this year?
Speaker 1: Do I think the Bucks have a legit title shot? They have two great players, and Damian Lillard and Jannis Ante the compo that always gives you a chance. However, they need a very healthy Chris Middleton. Chris hasn't seemed that healthy this year, and because of that, I don't think there are title contenders because they're going if they're going to have any chance to compete with anybody. Chris has to be healthy. He's too important to that team. What he brings is something that no one else on that roster brings. So they can get Chris healthy and I put them in the conversation. If Chris is not healthy, no chance.
Speaker 4: Last one we said we would do four today. Since we only did three last week, you could do our fourth question from at BVD three one three. Do you think the judging has killed the dunk contest. I've heard a lot of discourse about this before.
Speaker 1: The judging I think is bad. I think number one you should probably have some listen. Dominique Human Highlight Reel is a stable in the dunk contest, so can't say much there. Nicks should always be there, but you need like where's the Jason Richardson's where's the you know, Fred Jones was there. It was Indianapolis, but like, where's the younger guys? Not quite like there were a couple of guys on the planel where it's like, ah, like let's get some of these Zach Leavie.
Speaker 4: Like I want Zach, I want Vince.
Speaker 1: You know, like, let's get some younger blood in the judge in the judge seats on the panel. I think that does play a role in it is so inconsistent. We saw some dunks and we were like, oh man, that dunk was weak, and then it was like a forty nine. You're like whoa, Like it's no consistency. You don't really know what they're judging. So I think the judges do play a role in it. However, it's the dunkers. The dunkers has to be better. They can't just be on the judge. You do got to get them something better to judge. But the judges have not been great with love to see some of the guys we just named as the judges. I think that helps it take a step up in my opinion. That's a rap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show. You can still check this episode out wherever you get your podcast. You want to run something back, go check it out. You know to go check our YouTube channel out sbscribe if you haven't. Next time, Peace,