Speaker 1: Hey, vacationed a lawyer. Here's my business correct, I'm attorney Howard Ank. You or someone you know has been heard it. Work ankin Law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. They We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 2: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is the Socks Machine Podcast with your host's Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to you a new episode of the Socks Podcast. I'm Josh Nelson alongside James Vegan and Jim Margolis, and this is gonna be a happy episode as we record this on Sunday night, July nineteen, twenty twenty six, it's the Chicago White Sox won another road series as they won two out of three against the Blue Jays. There's six games above five hundred, they're fifty two and forty six and in this series, the pitching really powered this series win for the Chicago White Sox, especially the start that we saw on Sunday from Sean Burke. And we've been talking about Sean Burke for a bit here as he went six and two thirds innings, didn't allow a run, only allowed two hits, walked one, he struck out five. But what's more remarkable about Sean Burke has this has been this heater ever since that appearance against the Yankees in which he totally dominated, even though the White Sox used an opener. In his last six appearances, it's thirty eight and two thirds innings now for Sean Burke. He's only allowed twenty eight hits, just six earned runs, walking only six and striking out forty seven. He had that earned run average in his last six appearance for Sean Burke is one point for zero. Just outstanding stuff from Sean Burke. And I think that's where I want to start the conversation James again, tremendous heater for Sean Burke, and he put it on display again on Sunday. What's been working for Burke?
Speaker 4: Well, he's throwing a ton of strikes, which is always helpful. That's usually the will Aventable analysis that he gives postgame, which I always appreciate him not trying to expand outside of his lane as like a past hitter. He's just usually like, eh, usually when the pitchers throw strikes, that's good. Burke, like, especially for the Yankee series, kind of figured out something with his delivery. I don't know if we've discussed it on here before, but like as far as like the timing of his counter rotation and how much he does and how he's able to kind of separation a bit more with his you know kind of shoulders and hips and in a way that give them an extra juice. He was struggling with it more a beginning of the season. He kind of felt to his tie together, but he did have like some nextiffness that he's dealing with him was making it a little bit harder for him to kind of get the same you know, kind of separation he wanted, and he felt like his neck was getting stuck when he like kind of brought his arm back to a degree. So it's kind of a little bit of like getting over not quite an injury. I had something of an ilm, but something that like affected him early in the season and also kind of finding the exact you know, rhythm and timing on it, to do it with a lot of command, because when he's throwing hardest, he also tends to have his best command. I felt Sunday was a little bit more like breaking ball heavy and more like that's what he rode to get through the game. Like he he topped on ninety eight. It wasn't like his basketball as bad. It just wasn't like, oh, he's got the eighty percentile version of it all night, where he's just like sitting ninety eight ninety nine and just like beating people on top rail all the time. It seemed a lot less like he had good command of all his sinker or his curveball, and his his slider and slider was really tight, and even if he wasn't any whiffs down there, he was getting kind of like these bent over scoop swings that just didn't have much behind them. It certainly worked. I thought Toronto's offense looked pretty bad all weekend in a way that like it certainly doesn't seem like a team's about to turn it on. I know there's tons of injuries there for why they don't look complete, but in terms of like offense, that's clearly not rolling. Maybe he didn't have like his biggest heater where he's just like you know, doing f you at bats to like you even red hot offenses that he's shut down at points during the stretch, it did seem like he was executing to a level like offense that really isn't getting anything going unless you kind of get it, start going, started going for them a little bit like with walks and free passes, like whether I think he ran into he did well to shut them down, so like it wasn't like maximal burke the way like maybe other points as the stretch was, but still fit in right alongside of like a very long stretch of being consistently very good, which you know, if you ask, I think I was talking to Sean about it previously, is like that's what I've been looking for since in college. I've always had these flashes where I looked really good and people are not excited about me, like long term and my potential, Like what I want is like stacking like weeks of it and not having hiccups in between. So it's funny because he kind of had this point last year where he had back to back starts where he walked five guys and he ripped off like a stretch of three pretty good ones. So I was kind of suggesting to him, like, hey, you you went to this before last year, maybe you could do the same. But he's obviously kind of turning on for a longer period of time in a way that you know, he's certainly encouraged about going forward more than just like putting the bad taste of those two walk heavy autings behind him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you mentioned the Blue Jays offense, James. It was a recurring storyline as the White Sox were on three different networks, Apple TV than see Just Then and then Peacock on Sunday. Just everyone can't believe. I can't believe that Vlad Greer Junior has to hit a home run in the Rogers Center in the twenty twenty six season. I don't know what's going to be happening to the Blue Jays after this series, and maybe they will end up selling even though they don't want to throw in the towel yet. And unfortunately, Jim, the one loss for the White Sox is a tough loss because Davis Martin was good. I mean, he only allowed one run, which was on a C and I single from George Sprainer. He went five to two thirds innings, allowed four hits, he only walked two, and he struck out five. And in that start against the Blue Jays, he left after throwing eighty five pitches. And Jim this is something we talked about recently before the All Star break and how Davis felt exhausted. He's already at one hundred innings for the season and checking it. The last time Davis Martin threw more than ninety pitches was in his start against the Atlanta Braves back on June tenth. Do you think it's wise for the White Sox to maybe limit Davis Martin, maybe make him more of an eighty five pitch type of starting pitcher right now, to try to conserve some energy for later in the season.
Speaker 5: I think it's a couple things.
Speaker 6: One is the energy components and him, you know, not maybe not looking as strongest over the last month or so. But there's also been a lot of low scoring starts for more Martin, or at least not a whole lot of run support. You're looking at like nineteen over his last eight starts, last two games, they have not scored a run for him. So I think it's a matter of a little bit in terms of times through the order penalty that Martin he tends to be strongest at the started games, tends to be more susceptible to loud contact at the end of games or end of his starts. Not uncommon for pitchers. That's why there's a whole phenomenon or you know, labeled.
Speaker 5: Theory behind it.
Speaker 6: But you know, given that he has this kind of susceptibility to extra base hits a second or third time through as it gets towards the end, and him pitching in a lot of games that are still close, or you know, trying to keep the White Sox within striking distance or trying to make sure that the opponent doesn't get back in it because it's only like a one or two run game. I think that makes will Venable more proactive too, to go to the bullpen, especially when his bullpen's well rested and coming out of the brake and having a wide array of relievers to choose from. I think he's probably opting for caution, So I don't think it's necessarily an automatic that, no matter how well he's pitching, no matter the margin, if he gets eighty five pitches, Venable is going to look to pull the plug. But I think just the way it's been going, with lack of run support and just the sense probably the Venable could see maybe envision Martin giving up an extra base hit when he really doesn't want one, really can't afford one, and be kicking himself if he pulled the plug one bat or too late.
Speaker 5: I think when everything's.
Speaker 6: Lined up to where he has relievers to choose from that he trusts, it's probably pretty easy for him to go to Martin or go away from Martin sooner rather than later, especially, you know, if there are knock on effects of him looking fresher maybe down the line by saving him high stretch pitches when he doesn't have to throw them.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: Jim mentioned relievers podcasts, watchers and listeners, and one of those relievers that's also on a heater and maybe has caught everyone's attention recently is Jordan Hicks. He pitched another scoreless inning in this series against the Blue Jays. Hicks and his last seven appearances, it's eight scoreless innings, but it's not just eight scoreless innings. It's only allowing two hits. Walking one, striking out fourteen for a reliever to only allow three base runners over his last seven appearances. Yes, that is doing the job. And you could read more as far as what's been helping with Jordan Hicks on soxsmachine dot com. As James wrote an excellent feature on Sunday about the the adjustments that Jordan Hicks has been making and James with Hicks pitching this well and looks like that he has some of his premium stuff back that we've seen when he was coming into the league, especially with the Saint Louis Cardinals, this bullpen looks a lot stronger when Jordan Hicks has his premium stuff right.
Speaker 4: It's a one more leverage guy stronger. And in terms of like I think maybe during their most successful stretch of the season, you felt like they had Taylor, Hudson, Nukom and Domingez is kind of like the four guys they were cycling through. Tyler Davis had pop it there a little bit with their matchup like worked right now, you probably don't really have Sir Anthony quite yet on that circle where you're not giving him like any opportunity gets that's kind of leverage at this point, it seems like it's very tailored to him, and that's not necessarily like a big demerit it's it's certainly down from closer, but it's something that's you know, not clearly in considerations like Brian Hudson getting slate ce lefties. I feel like maybe deming is a step down from that. But one, if you have Hicks in that mix, you kind of now have that same level of flexibility between you know, options late that you want. I would say as far as like by the time you get to the postseason, which is obviously what they're shooting for at this point, one you have to account like Hicks already missed the month with injury this season. He throws extremely hard. Like you can't just be like, oh, we got our four in mid July and like we're good now. Demincus can get back when he can. I would say, you really want there, like especially postseason wise, to go like five six deep into guys you feel like you can trust at least in certain situations. That's a real separator that time of year for navigating those series when they get really tight. So getting Tomnus back to the level, adding some of the deadline, someone like Tan McDougall, Hagen Smith, just other options and kind of stepping forward, Trevor Richard's being suitable and not Homer prone, you know, those are those are they're like maybe small, like kind of on the horizon candidates to step up. So I think it's important. It certainly makes navigating the next couple of weeks, as you it makes the process of getting Sir Anthony Deming is right a bit less. You know, everything's writing on every appearance. If you have another reliable writing you can go to for kind of these middle to high leverage opportunities that aren't necessarily grant tailors. I think that's important as far as like, hey, this is like a deadline addition, and you don't need to add stuff with the bullpen or the bullpen's as deep as it needs to be. I don't think we're quite there. I think there's still a lot of room for Tan McDougal or Hagen Smith or other kind of members of Charlotte or you know, even Shane Smith, who knows where like it comes up with the you know, just generally their top level pitching depth. There's still a lot of room for that to come in and make themselves very useful, because I think it's kind of unsettled as far as like leverage ladder outside of like those four or five guys.
Speaker 3: Well, James mentioned as far as adding to the pitching staff, and on Sunday during his USATA column, Bob Nigale had a note about the White Sox in which that he wrote that the Chicago White Sox have sent Nick Costettler their special assistant to keep tams on New York Mets starter Clay Holmes, who recently has begun his rehab assignment after breaking his right fibula back on May fifteenth, and James mentioned a Jim the White Sox could still use some bullpen help. Maybe that comes internally. But despite these strong pitching performance, and this is the conversation that every team, whether you're on the vergic attending or you're on the edge of selling, needs to answer, the White Sox still need pitching help, right, They still need to make a move before the trade deadline.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, just.
Speaker 6: Hagen Smith made a start, so he's theoretically pitching again. Shane Smith has been back from his rehab stint. But they're all kind of varying degrees of shaky, and.
Speaker 5: You look at just how Eric Fetti.
Speaker 6: Has been carefully managed to make sure that he doesn't have to go more than two times through the order. Noah Schultz will be hitting career highs and innings and he's still looking to find his most consistent form. So there really isn't anybody, you know, outside of like the top three starters who is like guaranteed to take a start or as close as guarantees you can get for a pitcher over the rest of the season and you know, handle five innings with any regularity. So yeah, they need starters. You know, it becomes a matter of like who you push shout if everybody's healthy. But between Fetti being somebody that they have to mitigate and then Schultz, you know, probably somebody they want to bake and rest for at some points. If he's looking like somebody who is going to be part of postseason rotations or postseason pitching staffs, then yeah, they definitely.
Speaker 5: Need an extra arm.
Speaker 8: They need it.
Speaker 6: And this goes back to the conversation about offense, Like more arms than spots basically is what you're looking for.
Speaker 5: On the pitching side.
Speaker 6: You can always use more guys than actually have, especially on the pitching side.
Speaker 5: That's why they say you never can have.
Speaker 6: Enough pitching, and the White Sox don't really have enough pitching right now. They're doing a great job, but spreading it out like as immaculously can. It's like the perfect combover. Like at certain angles you're like, oh, you know, that's they're doing great, and then some other angles or if the wind catches them the wrong way, you're like, huh, you need some more there. So I think that's kind of where they're at right now.
Speaker 3: Well, the White Sox pitching again only allowed five runs this weekend against the Toronto Blue Jays. That goes a long way and helping for their series win. Before we talk about the White Sox offense, I want to remind you that you could shop to twenty twenty six All Star collection now at the new look Fouled Territory Shop dot com. The drop features every White Sox All Star, including I'm going to Talk amer Commie Miguel Vargus at Tristan Peters. Keep an eye out for more officially licensed skiar throughout the rest of the season and the botseason at foul Territory Shop dot com.
Speaker 7: What If you can actually have it all. And I'm talking about Mintmobile taking the premium wireless bouginess crafts, but then bringing it to the transparency in pricing and the affordability in pricing.
Speaker 8: They're going to lay everything out there with a cheap bill that you know what everybody can handle right now.
Speaker 7: You can even bring your current phone and your number. If you're thinking about it and you're like, I'm worried about that, No worries. They have you covered because they're able to convert people all the time to the Mintmobile way. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill of fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 8: That's it.
Speaker 7: There's no catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required availability, speed, and coverage varies. Cementmobile dot com, Howard, I'm so glad I saved your number.
Speaker 2: My husband fell at a construction site and is in critical condition.
Speaker 8: That the new look was it same?
Speaker 1: I'm very sorry to hear that. I just want to let you know I'm here to help. Yeah, tell me more about it. Work injuries not only affect the victim, but also everyone around them. Inc Launch, Chicago based here to advocate on your behalf with over one hundred attorneys and staff. If you or somebody you know as questions about a work injury called three one two six million, injury law made personal, that's aking law.
Speaker 3: And the White Sox had a huge offensive outburst in their Friday night win against the Blue Jays where they scored twelve runs and then on Saturday facing old nemphasis Shane Bieber. Not a fun time, but they were able to manage to squeeze out some more runs on Sunday thanks to big hits from Colson and Bryden Montgomery as both of them really stepped up offensively, and for Colson Montgomery in his series against the Toronto Blue Jays, Montgomery went four for eleven. He did hit a home run on Sunday, that's his twenty fourth of the season. Also had a basis clearing double in Friday's big win, drove in for RBIs and Jim. I know that there is a lot of strikeouts. There's quite a bit of swing and miss in Colson's game, but his ability to generate the big hits like we saw this weekend against the Blue Jays, do those quiet those swing and miss concerns.
Speaker 5: Comes to his overall game.
Speaker 6: You know, there was the ball that got under his glove. As you start to try to figure out like whether he's truly a plus shortstop or if you know he is when his back is perfectly healthy, but whether that's acting up on him or not.
Speaker 5: He's got some like natural either wrinkles in his games.
Speaker 6: Things to manage things that can Yeah, the back flares up on him, the strike out right flares up on him. There's a lot of things to manage to where when you're talking about Coulson, like you kind of have to update your priors on a week to week basis because the picture could have changed dramatically or since the last time we talked about him. So I think there is a certain level of maybe not fatigue but just the amount of effort that goes in talking about Coulson and thinking about Coulson that maybe other players don't have. The thing is, though, right now, you know, as he's making the league minimum and his pre ARB and everything like that, you don't want to let that color your judgment of him too much because he might have some frustrating tendencies or he might not be, you know, the traditional middle of the order hitter because of his ability to be pitched to sometimes. But he's tying up precious few resources when it comes to the money he's making the players he's blocking or not blocking, so he's a valuable player to have in the mix no matter what. There could come a point as the shortstops come up. We'll see what happens with Rock Chelowski when the White Sox get him in the system, and you know what kind of timeline he puts himself on over the next six baseball months, and that could maybe change exactly where he fits in and whether he's a fixture in the middle of the infield or in the.
Speaker 5: Middle of the lineup, et cetera.
Speaker 6: But right now, given where the White Sox are, as a pleasant surprise, given that no matter how bad he looks, he does have these bounce back games or bounce back series to where he is one of your more dynamic hitters in the field, to where you just kind of have to ride the snake right now and be okay with it and you make peace with it. I think the same thing with Murakami as he gets his timing back, as you know, he's got the plus plate discipline that's starting to materialize and walks, but the timing still isn't there. But the White Sox weren't expected to contend this year, and when they're contending, they're contending with guys who are flawed enough to where like the everybody still considered them like a year away from contending.
Speaker 5: So I think this is.
Speaker 6: The weird in between patch the White Sox are in right now where Montgomery still has these rough edges to try to smooth down, but also he's very important to them winning right now, and he'll, yeah, I think the calculus is that he'll put more on the table than he'll take off it. And I think that's you know, when it comes to White Sox and being having a front line offense and then having some issues behind it and building depth. You just kind of have to take all of the plus contributions you can and then try to figure out how to mitigate it, either with lineup balance, with days off, with the kind of players you target at the trade deadline.
Speaker 5: A lot of ways can do that.
Speaker 3: My favorite at bat for this series happened on Sunday with Andrew Bennettendee stand in second base and the White Sox were up two to nothing and Braden Montgomery was at the plate. And we're still learning a lot about Branda Montgomery. Montgomery's still learning about major league pitching. But against Traya Savage, Brada Montgomery was down in that count, zero to two, and Y Savage challenged him with a fastball up and out of the zone that Brada Montgomery was able to fight off. I thought that was a good sign. That was a tough pitch. It was a ball, but Montgomery stayed alive in the bat, and he stayed alive and he was able to pull through with an RBI single to center field to extend the White Sox lead to three to nothing. And in this series for Brada Montgomery against the Blue Jays, he went four for twelve. He had a double, he had a basis clearing triple and Friday's big win. He had five RBIs over the weekend. In his last four games, Bradon Montgomery has nine RBIs. He's been quite the run producer for the Chicago White Sox and James. It's just a thirty two game sample for Braida Montgomery and in his last four games, as I mentioned, it is nine rbi, so he's cut coming through in the clutch for the White Sox.
Speaker 9: A meanion is.
Speaker 3: Basicallygue baseball debut. He had a walk off home run against the Atlanta Braves. What are your thoughts about Montgomery's overall game that we've seen so far.
Speaker 4: I think he's exactly like a ninety nine WRC plus after Sunday is you mentioned that at bat I think, especially coming up from what he did at double A and triple A, like contact rate and striking out was kind of a concern, and to see him, he's looked more like certainly some of his swings and just like the nature of a swing, it just looks like this incredibly like jacked person, like making himself into a human sling shot to hit the balls like as hard as possible. There's still some swings that look like that, but there's a lot more like hittability and adjustability than like maybe you would have thought based on how much he struck out in the minors and what his contact rates are. He's running like well above all that right now, and you're also seeing him like it's not someone who's just the types of hits that he's had is a lot of like flicking doubles to either left or right side, kind of hitting the ball where it's pitched, or taking advantage of those situations to poke something through the infield, or you know, kind of flatten his barrel out to get something to the top of the zone. It's not just someone who's like I'm just trying to do groove a swing whenever possible the math is going to work out in my favor, which like the shape of his production and just kind of like the nature of like his looking at like how much he's geared, like so much of a swing for just like maximum physical output all the time kind of takes you by surprise. But I think he's been doing that really well throughout his early stretch. Has certainly been swinging the miss. There's certainly been like you know, he's hit three home runs, but only probably the one off of Kate Smith. It felt like, oh, this is him like absolutely squaring up a fastball and like annihilating it. The rest have been like kind of wall scrapers in ways that like weren't like necessarily like, oh, he got fully into one. So I feel like we almost haven't gotten to see his power in some huge way where it's just like a stretch where he's just in the ball like super hard all the time, even though like his exit pollacies just are kind of high, because like that's what a swing is. I feel like we're seeing him kind of punch the ball over the yard in a way that you wouldn't necessarily ascribe to scene to his game, let alone how he keeps himself afloat while kind of really still getting the hang of it. So I think defense talking about a total game like one, he's kind of hit some like doubles even without like necessarily like hitting the ball to the wall all the time, just because like he's a pretty good base runner. It's not like what's emphasized for him, but he's still clearly pretty fast because he's pretty young, he's gonna he's pretty bulky he's gonna like slow down as he gets older, but like he's still pretty springy right now, and you know, can can stretch hits for extra bases, can get the triples defensively, Like it's not like he's you know, Tristan Peters or like that's what's going to be like this huge value driver necessarily because as a corner of field defender, but he is like fleet of foot, he does have good reads. It's clearly like a natural outfielder. The arm, you know, he's had a couple that got away, he's been charged with errors, and we haven't necessarily seen like a ton of like you almost have seen fewer outfield assists or big plays with his arm than like Riku had, because I think Brandon Montgomery had looks the part of the guy you don't run on right off the bat. So I think he's all the tools have kind of been there in a way that are encouraging. You're seeing a bit more hit ability, and it's still kind of a sense of like this is clearly his first thirty games. He hasn't really gotten going yet. So the fact that he's been able to look like he's a quality contributed to lineup without Well still being clearly in a very early stage of his major league development. I think it's all encouraging, even if it's not like, oh, he's the rookie of the year. Now McGonagall sucks and all will be brought to heal. I think it's still been largely encouraging.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: In the ninth inning too, with runners on first and second and nobody out, Braydon Montgomery made a nice sliding catch that Clement did tag up from second to third, but Taylor was able to get the game ending double plays, So yeah, Montgomery. Both Montgomery's on Sunday really flashed their potential for the White Sox and again helped clinch that road series win for the White Sox. They're six and four and their last ten road games, so maybe, just maybe the White Sox are figuring out how to win on the road. We're going to take a look around the American League Central because now we can do this. We're approaching game one hundred, so this stuff now matters for the Chicago White Sox. We're in the midst of a divisional race.
Speaker 9: Hold before well lots of losses. James earlier taking a look at the America League Central standings, and the White Sox are still in first place at fifty two and forty six. The Guardians are a game back, the Twins are forty nine to fifty one. They're four games back, The Tigers are forty six and fifty three, and the Royals are starting to sink. They are forty and sixty. And when you take a look around what happened this weekend in the Central Pittsburgh and Jacob Gonzalez, thank you, buddy did. The White Sox are real solid, winning two out of three in Cleveland. Maybe Pittsburgh feels like they should have swept the Guardians as their bullpen collapsed on Saturday, costing them a win. The Minnesota Twins lost their series against the Chicago Cubs, and the Tigers won their series against the Angels. But just to do a little bit of a heat check again, when looking at the AL Central standings, to me, it's still I'm always now paying attention to what Cleveland is doing, Jim, because it's not that big of a lead. But I still don't have a good sense of what Detroit's going to do. And they've been playing a lot better baseball as of late, and that is a veteran team and they've done this before. They have pulled off miracle runs post August to find themselves in the postseason. And I still can't make sense of what's going on with the Minnesota Twins. So Cleveland, Minnesota, Detroit, which team worries you the most?
Speaker 3: From a White Sox perspective?
Speaker 6: I think I would rate Cleveland first, Detroit second, Minnesota third, Cleveland because of just the wins they've already banked. And you know, speaking of teams that have done it before, have done it with less talents or with the talent that's been older or more flawed, like you're seeing younger.
Speaker 5: Players who are supposed to be fixtures.
Speaker 6: Being integrated into this offense. They do have a good farm system either which to pull from or to trade from, so they can add if they ever feel like adding. The Tigers are you know, I think they're one of the best pitching teams in the league, especially since like the you know, last month and a half or so where they've really turned it on, and a lot of that was without Scooball So if he's back and they remain committed to him and committed him being in the rotation for the rest of this year and not wanting to cut their legs out from under them, and then he's gonna be part of it. It's gonna be tough to score runs against. And the young players are performing like you want to, like in terms of like Dingler and mcgonagale, like they are exactly the young players you want it spend a lot of other weird failures or injuries along the way that have have hurt them, but like they have a couple of fixtures that look to be dangerous for.
Speaker 5: A while as well, So they have.
Speaker 6: Some Yeah, they're they're kind of Cleveland like, but I think you're probably a little bit deeper on the pitching side at least with like frontline talents.
Speaker 5: And then twins.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't it seems like they can win Slugfest. They can, they can hit, They can hit with runners and scoring position. They have a few ways of getting you, so like they're probably gonna make it painful, Like I think they just they tend to have the pitching staff elopes as well that hurt them and make it just as painful for them. So I think they're they strike me more as a team that he can't write off, they could probably play a great spoiler.
Speaker 5: Uh, and they look like they're just gonna.
Speaker 6: Cause chaos, like it's gonna be a bar fights against them, to where you know you're locked up with the Guardians and the Tigers all of a sudden, where that chair come from and the Twins through it. That's kind of the role they strike me as playing. But given the American League, and just like watching the Red Sox win thirteen in a row when they look like they're going to be sellers, I mean, it's not just Central, it's everywhere. And you know, with the White Sox playing Toronto, like I thought, winning two out of three against Toronto and just keeping them at Bay and keeping one, you're reducing the amount of teams that are below five hundred but could theoretically make a run based on the talent they have on hand and what they've done before. I think these series wins against those kind of teams are just as important in trying to clarify the picture as much as these head to head wins against Cleveland, even though you know those obviously help. But given that the White Sox got swept in the Tigers and then helped Detroit get get back into it. I don't think you can give these teams on the periphery extra life if you can avoid it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, door Sea on Yahoo Sports wrote a great column. It was about the Boston Red Sox and their run, which Jim just mentioned now is thirteen straight wins for the Red Sox, so I don't feel so bad about the White Sox getting swept by the Red Sox. Everyone's getting swept by the Red Sox right now. But he had a great ending to that column where it just feels like in the American League, one good week can radically change the outcome of your season right now and for everyone in the American League Central, a team goes five and two, White Sox go two and five, then all of a sudden, the standings flip on its head. So that's why the series win for the White Sox is big, especially they gain a game on Cleveland in the standings and the White Sox road trip now continues to Texas.
Speaker 7: If you're watching us, you already know we're wearing Mack Weldon right now as we talk about a great brand that makes things so comfortable and easy to wear. But if you're listening to the show, let me tell you a little bit more about Mack Weldon with my friend Aer Kratz.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's comfortable, it's light. It's summertime right now. For me though, they cater to what I need tall clothes. Normally, when I buy tall clothes it's like something that's cumbersome and boxy. It still fits incredibly well, super light, perfect for the summertime. They got me all covered.
Speaker 7: Comfortable performance material can be yours. Mack Weldon is the spot. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look with Mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m a c k W E L d o N dot com code f o u L.
Speaker 3: Now, the Chicago White Sox head to Arlington, Texas as. The Texas Rangers this season are still in first place in the America League West. They are fifty and forty nine. They lost their last game. In their last ten games, they are five and five in Arlington this season, they are twenty four and twenty two. You're pitching problems for this series. On Monday, it will be Jacob de Gram for the Texas Rangers and it's Eric Fetti. We'll see if he actually gets to start or we'll learn what opener the White Sox will use in front of Eric Fetti, but it's expected that Fetti will get the bulk of innings. On Tuesday night, it is Kumar Rocker for the Texas Rangers against Noah Schultz for the White Sox. So that's a fun matchup between two young pitchers. And then on Wednesday, it's Cal Quantrill for the Rangers against Anthony Kay who'll be making his second start in the post All Star break. And I have to say, gents, we deserve a little pat on the back because in our last episode when we talked about the keys to this series for the White Sox, we all nailed it. The White Sox lefties had to come through. We talked about Cole sit and Brayden doing that. The White Sox starting pitchers had to set the tone. Davis Martin, Sean Berg definitely did that. So for the Texas Rangers series, James Vegan, what is the key for the White Sox if they're going to win another road series?
Speaker 4: I mean after the you know my sage insight that they needed to score runs to beat the Blue Jays. I'm suggesting something similar. This is like kind of the I don't know, the certainly the best performing members of the rotation at large. Obviously David Spartan has had his scuffles, but him and Sean Berk are like, you know, the two prettiest stat lines for the season, And certainly Burke is pitching very well right now. This is the series without them. I think both ky has been pretty steady. It might be unfair to lump them into this group, but like, how sustainable does fetty like continue to be like if it requires kind of opening usage like into the second half, but like he's obviously been pitching effectively with it. But they tend to be kind of these starts where venables not trying to get through the order with him more than twice. I think he's perfectly happy to be like, these are four decent ones. Let's move on. So with that and Noah Schultz, you know, being kind of the not wild what's the right term, like certainly a focal point like week to week, like can this guy establish himself? Can he kind of build some momentum where one he's not just like someone like does he need to be replaced on the rotation like on an immediate level versus two of is he going to kind of insert himself as like one of their best starters down the stretch in a way where like he realizes some of the upside that he seems to have long term in a way that immediately kind of forces him to the forefront of this rotation. Those are kind of things you're watching every time out with him in a way. So I just kind of think, like those two starts are are really like there's a lot wrapped up. There would be a lot of how we feel about this team going forward will be dictated by how those first two go. I don't know if it'd be better to lean in my story by saying, like Jordan Hicks, like throwing like two out of three games and like doing lockdown leverage work will be the key to the series. But it's already out. I can't pump it anymore, so I'm just gonna go the easy roude of just focus on kind of the two maybe like uncertain unsettled spots of the rotation, and you know what they can dictate about what needs to happen in the next couple of weeks to that end.
Speaker 3: Jim, how about you, what's going to be the key to the series for the White Sox.
Speaker 6: Feels kind of similar to the Toronto series and that they're facing, well if Bieber turned out to be overwhelming for them or shut them down, but they are facing Jacob de Gram, who's having a pretty good Jacob de Gram season in terms of his ability to wrack up strikeouts.
Speaker 5: A little more homer prone, I think now.
Speaker 6: But still you know, he's able to limit the damage because the amount of bats he misses. But while he gets strikeouts, Quantrill doesn't. Rocker really hasn't. So you're looking at kind of a similar plan of trying to outlast one starter if you can't.
Speaker 5: Get to them.
Speaker 6: But ideally they'd like to rack up some runs on the ground. But I think they're looking at they have a couple of starters who don't miss bats, and the White Sox, you know, as we saw, when their lefties get rolling and when they start to just ambush and have those like six plate appearances that all of a sudden lead to three, four or five runs before the pitcher can get settled, like they have a couple of guys that can theoretically do that too. I think Quantrill's been pitching pretty well for his peripherals this year. Rocker, given his entire history basically since he was drafted, in terms of how much he's had to overcome or how varied the reads have been, like, he's having a fairly stable season, I think pretty Yeah. I think he's surprising me by just how like normal his season has been compared to like all the outcomes that could have sprung from it, but they're gettable, and so I think it's kind of similar to where like it seems like that, you know, the Rangers are having up a lot of runs, so the White Sox can get in on that's while they have their back end the rotation going, because you know, based on who opens, or how long they try to go with Fetti or what version of Schultz shows up, they will need to score runs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: On the pitching sign for me, I think the key is we know the bullpen is going to be used to James piggyback on James's point, with Fetti and Schultz going to the first two games, the White Sox are going to need some help from the bullpen, or they're going to need to take on quite a few innings. So I'm looking at like what production of the White Sox can get out of Chris Murphy and Tyler Schweitzer in the next couple of games. If they do take on multiple innings, can they put up zeros if they can buy time for the White Sox offense, especially in lading games of White Sox need to charge if they are struggling a little bit against these starters. It will also help guys to see mu to Takomer or Kami hit for power. He got the double against the Blue Jays, maybe a couple feet away from hitting his first home It'd be great to see Murakami finally get into a pitch and hit a home run since returning to the White Sox. He's still at twenty, but he did a good job getting on base. He walked three times in this series against the Blue Jay, so adding those two hits, he got on base five times. It would be great if Murrakami can finally get into that home run power. And we know how streaky he can be, as he's already had one streak this season of hitting a home run in five straight games. It just make the lineup a lot more lethal. To end this road trip, hopefully another road series win for the Chicago White Sox, but we'll be recapping that series through the White Sox and Rangers later this week, which you'll be able to listen to the soxs Machine podcast where if you listen to podcasts or Spotify and Apple Music, you can also watch the show on our YouTube channel. It is now a video podcast. You guys been asking for a long time without video podcast, now we do have it. You can describe to your YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash socks Machine. Follow us on social media. We're on all the social media platforms at sox Machine. You can follow James at JR Figan. You can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh and if you enjoy our work and win full access to all of our coverage of the Chicago White Sox and Major League Baseball, sign up to become a sox Machine subscriber at Soxsmachine dot com slash Products where we have multiple tiers of support still running. Our sale so the first month is just fifty three cents for the five dollars a month tier, So take advantage of that and that unlocks the comments section for you gets the ad free version of the website. We also have additional tiers of support all the way up to our Veterans Committee, which gets you into the group chat. Great to have, especially when James is at the ballpark and upcoming whispers and gossip. Gossipers is the White Sox approach the MLB trade deadline on August third. So again become a Sox Machine subscriber at soxsmachine dot com slash products. Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot com. Here for all of things Chicago White Sox Baseball a part of the Foul Territory Network alongside Jim Martin. Listen James Vegan, I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching