Speaker 1: This media podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Art and today we're joined by Jannis Randall, Nate, Anthony Seth and Cordy. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Med Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and for the satur of the week. This week we're looking at our donation tracker. Through one hundred and sixty five games of Meat Eater Trivia, we've donated to sixty eight different conservation organizations and chapters. The most popular choices have been TRCP, nwtf BHA, Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management and the Meat Eater Land Access Initiative. Of those sixty eight orgs, twenty three of them have received a single five hundred dollars donation from Meat Eater Trivia. Randall, I think you're a big part of that. I think you you spread out the most money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was just trying to find uh. I had a couple of new requests coming, just trying to dig up the names of those before I get started here.
Speaker 1: So if you win today, it's going to be a twenty fourth new organization.
Speaker 3: It depends on how hockeyst It depends on how reasonably I can work my way through my Instagram messages.
Speaker 2: Does everybody else hear themselves?
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like I'm I feel like I can't hear myself.
Speaker 1: This one sounds phil, I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 2: Oh, tra plugging it now. I'm in my head. Oh, it's gonna be a bad start.
Speaker 4: Cranking some knobs over here and see what happened If you're in your head this early, that's a tough tough day for Randall.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's good to spread it around. Get back on subject here.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a lot of people doing great work for fish and wildlife all around this country, and a lot of those smaller groups out there.
Speaker 2: Five hundred bucks goes a long way.
Speaker 6: You're so noble?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hit up Randall. Uh, he'll he'll keep that going. All right, here's our attitude. Here's our Frequently Asked Questions segment. If you have a trivia related question, for our crew. Send it to trivia at the medeater dot com with the subject line on f a Q. This one is an f a Q. This is a question I probably get the most. It's why don't you have Mediater podcast guests play trivia anymore? It's been a while since we've had a podcast guest play trivia. There's a few reasons. I think you're getting a worse show. If we are asking the people in the room to do a meat Eater podcast which will go like two and a half hours, uh, and then immediately after play Mediater trivia, you're just getting worse energy. I think you're probably not getting as good of answers as good of banter. I think it's harder on fill over there to transition from like one show to the next show.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 4: It's it's gotta be something. Well, thanks for thinking of me, Spencer. It's really not not that difficult.
Speaker 1: There's there's pros and cons.
Speaker 7: I think both me that the media podcast is produced is a lot different than it was however many years ago, when we had players doing that more and more, and like, for example, this episode we're recording today is airing tomorrow whereas the Mediator podcast sometimes will record one and it won't drop from three to four weeks.
Speaker 1: Yes, scheduling would get really weird with those episodes as well. I think we are doing the audience more justice by not cramming it in the same like afternoon as we do the regular show. You get a better Gianni's, a better Randal. I seeing it's more fun. You just have any thoughts on that?
Speaker 5: Nope, I agree with the energy. I can see that, But I also like the energy of having someone fresh in the room.
Speaker 1: That's good. There's like a new camaraderie that has to be established almost though, when it's like we threw a we throw a stranger, Yeah, and I think Maate doesn't like to talk. If we have a stranger here and we want more Nate.
Speaker 2: It has to be.
Speaker 3: There's some guests that you're interested in playing trivia with, Yeah, a lot of them.
Speaker 2: I'm not yes exactly.
Speaker 1: And I throw them a bone and that helps. But there's often times where it's like they get the bone right and maybe one or two more questions, and it's it's not necessarily fun to embarrass them either, And so I either like have to make the show something it's not. Or they sit there and probably don't have a lot of fun playing trivia like Anthony.
Speaker 5: But you're fine embarrassing like Nate and Anthony.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sure, they're on the payroll.
Speaker 5: Nate.
Speaker 3: It doesn't get embarrassed, Ny, you get embarrassed.
Speaker 5: No, that's the opposite of what I do.
Speaker 1: If the right guess rolls through here, we'll plug them into mediater trivia as well. But I would just say, don't expect it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't want the main pod dragging this thing down.
Speaker 1: That's right, exactly.
Speaker 2: This is an elevated product.
Speaker 1: We have some housekeeping to get to. In our last episode of Trivia, I had a multiple choice question about which state harvest the most year between Georgia, Kansas, Ohio, and South Carolina. The correct answer was Georgia, but in the flavor text I read the deer population of those states, not the deer harvest. Now this doesn't change the correct answer. Georgia still harvests the most year out of those four states, but I want to give the accurate numbers here. Georgia harvest two hundred and seventy thousand deer each year, South Carolina and Ohio harvest two hundred thousand and Kansas harvest eighty thousand. Georgia is sixth in the nation for total deer harvest each year.
Speaker 5: Damn some I want to take a trip down to Georgia.
Speaker 1: You buy a tag, you get ten and two bucks.
Speaker 2: Kansas was eighty.
Speaker 1: Unlimited eighty thousand. There's a reason they grow their big deer.
Speaker 5: So I got that wrong.
Speaker 1: Nobody's killing them all check.
Speaker 3: Check.
Speaker 1: How does it sound over there?
Speaker 6: Give you some live sound checking over here? Check.
Speaker 2: I think it's fine.
Speaker 1: You don't have to wear the headphones, but I like hearing the headphones.
Speaker 2: Let's just go all right.
Speaker 1: The Shelby Index for today is a five, so I'm putting us on perfect score alert and with that, we're out of the game of trivia. Play the dropvill.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: I just got a slack from Korean and I was trying to turn the lights off on my phone and it covers the switch.
Speaker 5: Sorry about that, out Gamon suckers.
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is fishing, and this will be multiple choice. Which of these world record fish is smallest? Is it brook trout, yellow bullhead, chain pickerel, or yellow perch?
Speaker 5: Did you have this question?
Speaker 6: But different species.
Speaker 1: I've done this questions a few different ways. I've done biggest, I've done smallest, swamp of species in and out. Which of these world record fish is smallest weight? Brook trout, yellow bullhead, chain, pickerel, yellow perch, that is by weight? Phil is now adjusting a camera. What's the problem? Hold on? Okay? Which of these world record fish is smallest? Four choices, brook trout, yellow bullhead chain, pickerel, yellow perch, and that is measured by weight.
Speaker 7: We recorded some kids trivia for an upcoming season of the Meeting Your Kids podcast, and some kids got too excited and kicked that camera the other day and I forgot to adjust it.
Speaker 2: Oh was it my kid?
Speaker 1: That would be King jew Brownie Junior?
Speaker 6: It was either Marshall or No, it wasn't Marshall. Who I think? I think it was Sage? Yeah, he was calling you out, Sage.
Speaker 1: World record fish is smallest brook trout, yellow bullhead, chain, pickerel, yellow perch. This is a tough question to start a potential perfect game with. Players are going to have to earn this one. Corey, Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have, Yannis saying pickerel, says perch, Randall says perch, Anthony says perch, Nate says pickerel. Corey says pickerel. The correct answer is yea yellow perch. About half the room got that one right. The world record brook trout is fourteen pounds eight ounces, the world record chain pickerel is nine pounds six ounces, The world record yellow bullhead is six pounds six ounces, and the world record yellow perch is four pounds three ounces. It was caught by doctor c Abbott in Bordentown, New Jersey, in eighteen sixty five, making it the world's longest standing record for a freshwater fish freshwater fish four pounds three ounces. New Jersey doesn't even recognize that as their record anymore. It's under a different category, the only fish in that category. It's called the retired state record. So they stopped recognizing that eighteen sixty five catch. What's the current Oh, it's like half that for New Jersey. Yeah, it's like two pounds something. Question two the topic is conservation. This next great question is via Matthew Stover. This two word term is defined as quote the practice of public participation and collaboration in scientific research This is question two. The topic is conservation. This two word term is defined as the practice of public participation and collaboration in scientific research. Nate Corey Randall all quick to answer this one, Janni, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I've got one of the words. Okay, the two term.
Speaker 1: And question two via Matthew Stover. This two word term is defined as the practice of public participation and collaboration in scientific research. I'm guessing the state of New Jersey thinks there's something fishy with that eighteen sixty five record perch for them to retire that. You'll find that some states will do that. My home state of South Dakota had a fraud odd channel catfish state record for like sixty years. They had a picture of it. I think it was caught in the nineteen fifties. But you look at the picture and you could tell tell by the anal fin that it was a blue catfish, not a channel catfish. And so people had brought this to their attention enough that they finally retired it one day and started it back at zero. My guess is New Jersey thinks that world record fish maybe wasn't real kosher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have questions.
Speaker 3: About how that scale was was standardized.
Speaker 1: IGFA recognizes it as the world record. Again, we're on question two. This two word term is defined as a practice of public participation and collaboration in scientific research. Was there a photo of it of the world I couldn't. I didn't see one online. Maybe it exists, but I didn't hunt too hard. Say that was in the eighteen eighteen sixty five. Yeah, there's some shady stuff going yea, just like.
Speaker 3: They thought it could pull fast one while the nation was mourning a Lincoln.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the United States is like half of its size that it is now. Is everybody ready.
Speaker 6: Where they held all the times?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Yiannis saying citizen science, Seth says public comment, Randall says citizen science, Anthony Survey Results, Nate, public comment, Cory citizen science. The correct answer is citizen science. Think half our players got that one right. Citizens science is when volunteers help scientists gather data. It's most commonly used to collect weather information and track animal populations. Some examples of citizen science include the National Audubon Society's Christmas Bird count, the monarch Lava Larva Monitoring Project and the Horseshoe Crab count.
Speaker 2: Mountain Goat Counts, the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance.
Speaker 1: You participate in. That's a good one.
Speaker 3: No, I have in the past, but it's tough to line those up with my schedule.
Speaker 1: Busy guy guy to be a reading his instagram DM is about conservation.
Speaker 6: You're getting DMS?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get some DMS.
Speaker 1: Question three, the topic is hunting ms bro name one of the two states with a big horn sheep as their state animal. Fine. Randall got very excited about this question, threw his chair back and knocked something off the wall. What do we bring space?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: Is everything in one piece?
Speaker 3: Yet the frames not in one pieces?
Speaker 1: Oh wow? Okay, it was a very impressive piece of art.
Speaker 2: I should be hung on the wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did this in heights.
Speaker 2: How was the heck of a reaction?
Speaker 6: Randall?
Speaker 5: Clay Actually Clay drew that.
Speaker 1: I think he drew when he was pretty young. He had a dream of like a storm trooper looking character hunting a hog. We had to put pen to paper, and that's what he created. I was back in Clay's hippie days.
Speaker 5: So glad that I now know the backstory again, question three.
Speaker 1: Name one of the two states with the big horn sheep as their state animal. Randall has spent most of his time fixing the damage he's done over there instead of writing down an answer. This may throw him off.
Speaker 2: No, have you been to.
Speaker 5: That museum Rawlins, Wyoming that has the U is it the boots made out of the guys big nose?
Speaker 1: George? I have not been to the museum.
Speaker 5: Oh you should go. My wife went this past week. She was down there for work highly recommended.
Speaker 1: I like rollins, cool Rolins, an antelope there. I did some rock counting there. My wife got stung by a rattlesnake there two times when we were rock counting some nice wild horses. She got bit, well about got bit twice two different times the same day while we were looking for rocks.
Speaker 8: Are you saying like she got fit but it didn't.
Speaker 1: No, No, No, like like she's reaching down to grab a rock and a rattlesnake is within like inches of the rock shore.
Speaker 8: I think you said stune.
Speaker 1: Oh a bee, I think you said stung too.
Speaker 5: Everybody thought that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Name one of the two states with a big horn sheep as their state I think I know one. Okay, it's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Yanna sang Nevada. He crossed out Colorado, Seth says Wyoming. Randall says Colorado, Anthony Colorado, Nate Wyoming, Corey Colorado. Correct answers are Colorado and Nevada. Damn it did well. Colorado declared the Rocky Mountain big horn sheep their state animal in nineteen sixty one, and Nevada declared the Desert big horn sheep their state animal in nineteen seventy three. Both states also feature a big horn sheep in their Department of Wildlife logo Question four. The topic is public lands and this next great question is via Tyler Sheffield. This National Park, which is located in Kentucky, is home to the world's longest known cave system. M Randall is now actually repairing the frame.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to provide some noise.
Speaker 1: This National Park, which is located in Kentucky. It's home to the world's longest known cave system.
Speaker 6: Randall getting more juice in those headphones. I tried to Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It actually sounds much better. Phil, Thank you.
Speaker 6: Oh You're welcome anytime.
Speaker 1: Janni was talking about Big Nose George. There was a handbag that was made out of his skin. There were boots made out of his skin.
Speaker 5: Well, the guy that had the boots made was the doctor, right, but he wanted to have the nipples on him so that he could prove that they were legit. And whoever sent them off and did him, they were like, man, you cross the line. We'll do it out of human skill, but not within nipples.
Speaker 1: I think his skull wound up as an ash tray of someone's. Another part of his skull I think was a doorstop from someone somebody.
Speaker 5: That's the same part is the top part of his skull. And again this is just from what my wife learned last week. But some gal had it and she it was a multi purpose item and doorstop, ash trays, patoon. The body had been stuffed into a whiskey barrel buried for many years when it when they recovered it, the two were matched up to bring it bring it back together.
Speaker 1: I love the story of Big Nose George. He was He was a cattle rustler by Miles City, then later had a robbery get out of hand. This National Park, which is located in Kentucky, is home to the world's longest known cave system. Randall, do you have this one right? Yes, Corey, do you have this?
Speaker 2: But I didn't fix the frame.
Speaker 1: Okay, off there.
Speaker 2: I don't think I got it right. No, I got it.
Speaker 1: My answer is better than Seth's in front of him.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know what's going on down there in Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that Seth is still in Alaska.
Speaker 6: I wish.
Speaker 1: This National Park, which is located in Kentucky is home to the world's longest known cave system. Yanni, you give up?
Speaker 5: Oh no, I don't want to give up.
Speaker 1: Was the fishing in Alaska, Seth.
Speaker 4: Well, the days we could actually get out and do some legit fishing, it was. It was alright, Well, I would put it at like a five. It's never as good as it is in the summer. We got some how, but got some wing cod that were over the slot. My wife called it a forty seven ish forty eight and yellow perch, no, no perch. Yeah, lots of lots of Pacific god and rockfish. And we've got to Halbut the whole time.
Speaker 1: And your story bought Yanni enough time to come up with an answer.
Speaker 5: Is everybody I had this answer earlier. I don't think it's right.
Speaker 1: Ahead and reveal your answers. We have Yiannis saying Mammoth Seth without an answer. Randall says Mammoth Cave. Anthony Daniel Boone National Park. Nate says what's that say? Not the right answer, Cordy says Blue Ridge. The correct answer is Mammoth Cave National Park. What do you guys think about Yanni? Okay, he's like saying the Grand National Park instead of Grand Canyon. Okay, he gets the point.
Speaker 6: Man, it's the most important.
Speaker 1: There are more than four hundred miles of known caves in Mammoth Cave National Park, making it twice as long as the next closest cave. Geologists believe there could be another six hundred miles of tunnels in the National Park that have yet to be discovered.
Speaker 2: Oh spooky.
Speaker 1: Question five?
Speaker 4: Is there Daniel Boon National Forest?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, that makes me feel better.
Speaker 1: Question five The topic is biology. This seven letter word is defined as quote all the feathers that form the color and patterns of a particular bird. This seven letter word is defined as all the feathers that form the color and patterns of a particular bird, Nate Corey Randall all quick to answer, Sath and Yanni are joining them. That means Anthony is the only one with a blank whiteboard.
Speaker 8: Can I offer you something for your hosting toolkit?
Speaker 1: Sure? Yeah.
Speaker 8: Instead of giving zero to ten, you should give them a negative five to five scale.
Speaker 5: Okay, I've heard that this has been brought up by Nate.
Speaker 8: With other Really, I'm on a mission to change the one.
Speaker 6: Please explain.
Speaker 8: Well, if you go zero to ten, you basically feel obligated to give it a five or above. You just it's not a real And then like if it was a really bad time, there's not a great way to communicate that because two is still positive. So if you go negative five to five, zero is like perfectly neutral.
Speaker 2: Could come or go, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, if you enjoyed it, then you give it a one.
Speaker 4: I feel like though, if Spencer asked me that question for the fishing and I said zero, that would have made it sound like it called zero fish.
Speaker 8: Well you were you perfectly ambivalent to the fishing. Do you have an okay time, had a great time, then you probably give it like a three.
Speaker 1: That's good. If you scale of one to ten, if.
Speaker 6: That's my terrible taking, that's my point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I heard for a second.
Speaker 1: First, you know it's not revant.
Speaker 8: What would you give a day where you caught zero fish?
Speaker 3: They say about the worst day of fishing.
Speaker 2: Beats the best day working Here.
Speaker 1: A scale that a scale that does need adjustment is like product reviews of one to five star point because if something was like just didn't show up at all, right, like say it was worst case scenario, didn't arrive in the mail, that should be a zero, but you have to give it a one.
Speaker 8: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Or like restaurant reviews, you know, if you really didn't like it, that's a hard negative thought.
Speaker 8: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I could go with.
Speaker 6: But fishing, yeah, I don't do much restaurant reviews.
Speaker 2: Same again.
Speaker 1: This seven letter word is defined as all the feathers that formed the color and patterns of a particular bird. As everybody right now.
Speaker 5: But do you want to hear my one and only restaurant review story. Yes, I gave one to a restaurant in town and something on what like Google?
Speaker 1: Yelp?
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably just Google, I think. But it's such bad customer service. The food was mediocre too, but the kid told me that they normally don't melt cheese on the nachos. I'm like, you gotta be kidding me, dude, Like unmelted cheese not just is not a thing. And he was making a sound like, oh no, at this establishment, it is. And he was kind of giving me some slack about it, which is which just got me fired up enough to post it. Well, like a month or two later, a guy that works for us as a contractor, it's like, oh, I was talking to my buddy who owns X, and.
Speaker 1: He's like, what's up with that? Yannest guy?
Speaker 5: Did you leave it one star? I just I just said I told him what I just told you. I don't even know how many stars I left him, But it was because this.
Speaker 2: Starting system is so confusing.
Speaker 1: Exactly, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Yanni and Seth saying plumage. Anthony says the look natin Corey say plumage. They got it. The correct answer is plumage. The plumage of a bird serves many functions such as insulation, camouflage, display, and of course flying. An individual's plumage will chain age based on the weather, breeding age, diet and molting. Phil, We're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 6: Tough game for intern Nate. He's got one point on the.
Speaker 1: Boards, declaring that last week he uh beat Randall in his car playing trivia.
Speaker 6: No, we have no proof.
Speaker 3: Actually it's not Internate, it's intern having Nate because he's got an intern.
Speaker 1: The quickest half turn, the quickest anyone's ever gone from being an intern to having an intern.
Speaker 5: Good for you.
Speaker 8: But I have one point, so I'll hang my head.
Speaker 7: And Corey's got three, Jannis has four, and with a perfect game, it's doctor Randall Williams of five points.
Speaker 1: Question six. The topic is conservation. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by east In Johnson for sending this great question. Easton is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win the listener Question of the Week and send your question to Trivia at the meat eater dot com.
Speaker 2: Come.
Speaker 1: This musician who died in twenty twenty three, founded the conservation group Save the Manatee Club. This musician who died in twenty twenty three founded the conservation group Save the Manatee Club.
Speaker 5: I think this guy's.
Speaker 1: A musician. My wife gave an answer of someone who was not dead, so see if anyone can join her. This musician, who died in twenty twenty three founded the conservation.
Speaker 6: It's very subjective.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, you think he's.
Speaker 1: A big manatee fan. Who is le have to tell you don't like man easy, get the hell out of here.
Speaker 5: I would like I would like to taste a man tea one day.
Speaker 1: I didn't How did the Conservation group save the Manateee Club?
Speaker 5: M m, I mean, but the whole thing, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It might be behind the broken painting.
Speaker 5: Clay three claim might be the only guy I know that takes things from his dreams and writes about him, draws pictures about him, and then things happen that mm hm, you know, come to fruition after he's had the dream, his dreams come true. I've never had a dream about a big buck waiting for that, though. If I have one, I'm definitely gonna write a story about it and draw a picture. Have you ever had a dream about My dreams.
Speaker 1: Are vivid enough, like I've dreamt about hunting and fishing, and like you know, finding a really special mushroom. But it's like it doesn't stick with me to where I could come out of that experience and draw a picture of it or write a story about it.
Speaker 3: All of my dreams involved me doing heinous thing, and then I'm racked by guilt. It's like it's like it's like crime and punishment, and I'm my own little Raskolnikoff.
Speaker 1: You just got to walk around with that.
Speaker 3: And then I wake up and I'm already anxious before the day started.
Speaker 1: Goes back to this musician who died in twenty twenty three, founded the conservation group Save the Manatee Club. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Yiannis and Seth and Randall saying Jimmy Buffett. Anthony says kiss, Nate says Elton John who's still alive. Corey says Jimmy. Correct answer is Jimmy Buffett, all right. Buffett founded the Oregon nineteen eighty one along with Florida's Governor Bob Graham. The group's mission is to protect manates and their habitat. Jimmy admire the animal and was once quoted saying to me the Manatee represents what we all like about Florida, kind of cruising in warm clear water and not bothering anybody. Kid Rock would never say that. About question seven, the topic is fishing. This next great question is via John Schlessinger. Which species of salmon is also known as king salmon? Cory and Randall quick to answer. This might keep the perfect game for Randal going through seven questions. Oh miss, which species of salmon is also known as king salmon?
Speaker 5: I need Randal the balter? Aren't you getting anxious?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: Randall looking at me, he stays anxious. There's no getting anxious.
Speaker 6: I don't know this one.
Speaker 1: Which species of salmon is also known as king salmon? You know? Do you know this one? Yanni?
Speaker 5: I think I think so.
Speaker 3: I think the other salmon species would be trickier.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, yeah, hm hmmm?
Speaker 5: Which him Brand used to be a guide for these, he knows.
Speaker 1: Cory was maybe the first player to have an answer. Now he's changed. Okay, in turn having Nate though, he's stumped when.
Speaker 5: You got that tattoo done?
Speaker 1: Did he do it?
Speaker 5: And then you're like, you know what make that forth just a little bit.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: No, that's actually the logo for the guide school that I went to, Royal Time Guide School.
Speaker 5: Shout out to Cody and larray Henson, Peeburg, Montana.
Speaker 1: They raised some good guides there.
Speaker 3: Huh few how many, it's kind I'm of the best in the industry if I'm judging by present company.
Speaker 5: How many days did you uh spend? It said guide School four weeks.
Speaker 6: Five scale or interest.
Speaker 1: Great learn how to mostly learn how to packs. I've asked Corey this before, but I've I've I've been interviewed hundreds of whitetail guides for like articles and retfresh radio and stuff like that, and I found that a lot of whitetail guides like know their property better than they know deer. And so if you had a guide in Iowa whose clients always killed one hundred and fifty inch bucks, if you took him out of that little habitat and dumped him on a piece of public land in Oklahoma or Kentucky, uh, they would struggle. I found more guides were like that kind of person than they were just like a killer white tail hunter. Cordy says, elk guides, though they're all killer elk hunters. You agree with that? Yeah, you think so.
Speaker 5: I mean know in your country still behooves you big time. But yeah, it's not quite as nuanced I think as that. Oh is that white tail game?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's end that conversation there.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yanni. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Yannis saying chinook, Seth says Coho, Randall says chinook, Anthony Coho, Nate SAKEI Cory Atlantic.
Speaker 8: Guy, dude, I don't know crap out fishing, dude.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is a chanook. So we had Yannis and Randall get that one right. Chinook salmon are the largest of the Pacific salmon in the ocean. They have a blue green back in silversides, and in fresh water they turn olive, brown, red, or purple. They have black pigment along their gum line, which has led to the other nickname, Oh, mister black gums. Yeah, black gums are blackmouth. Randall said that before we even got to the fleet.
Speaker 2: I didn't think that would give it away, that would not That.
Speaker 1: Didn't question eight. The topic is cooking.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 1: This five letter brand claims to be the quote oldest and longest running cast iron manufacturer in the United States. Nate, Randall and Anthony all confident about this one. This five letter brand claims to be the oldest and longest running cast iron manufacture in the United States.
Speaker 5: They claim to be or they are.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't you know, necessarily check. This is what they say on their website. I didn't thoroughly investigate all the cast iron manufacturers to see when they were founded. If you would have said it they are the oldest, you would have gotten a lot of pushback. Maybe, So then that's why we say they That's.
Speaker 5: Why lawyers right this questions. That's yeah, I think I can only name maybe one other in how many cast iron companies can you name?
Speaker 6: I got three?
Speaker 2: We're not real No, geez, I got you.
Speaker 5: Impressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's everybody ready contest. Yeah, well, go for it right now, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Giannis and Seth and Randall and Anthony and Nate and Corey sang Lodge, they got it the correct answer to Lodge. Lodge was founded in Tennessee by Joseph Lodge in eighteen ninety six. The company was originally called Blacklock and focused on making tea kettles and kitchen sinks. They changed the industry in two thousand and two when they became the first brand to sell seasoned cast iron cookwaar. Prior to that, cast iron was sold unseasoned with a thin layer of wax that had to be washed off at home. Phil, let's get a scoreboard update. We have two questions left.
Speaker 4: We got Nate still in last place the two points. Anthony has three, Seth has four, Koreas five, and the two players left in the game are Yannis Boutellis with seven and Randon Williams with eight.
Speaker 1: Question nine the topic was natural history.
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: This Native American who served as a translator for the may Flower had a Disney movie made about him in nineteen ninety four. WHOA Randall has already answered this one? This Native American who served as a translator for the Mayflower had a Disney movie made about him in nineteen ninety four about him.
Speaker 6: That him really throws you off?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because the only translator that we know as a female.
Speaker 1: Randal. Do you have this one right?
Speaker 2: Yes? But I was trying to come up with the the real spelling.
Speaker 1: Oh Okay, he does know this one. This Native American who served as a translator for the Mayflower had a Disney movie made about him in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 5: Tricky spelling.
Speaker 1: That's a hint, Phil, Have you ever seen this movie?
Speaker 6: I have not.
Speaker 1: Randall, have you ever seen this movie? I have not. Again, this is question nine. If Randall has this one right, which it seems that he does, this would keep his perfect game going into the final question. Nate, do you have this one right?
Speaker 8: I think so, But you know, the silver lining of this game is now, I know I can't dress like a slob and come in here and perform.
Speaker 7: Yeah, maybe in the middle like a turtle NIGHTCA zero just like normal.
Speaker 5: I don't have to dress.
Speaker 2: Just dressed like a zero?
Speaker 6: A zero?
Speaker 8: Does that mean negative?
Speaker 2: Like negative?
Speaker 8: Three?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 5: Those are nice clothes.
Speaker 8: I got socks and stocks on.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's.
Speaker 6: Socks and what stocks?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah? This Native American who served as a translator for the Mayflower had a Disney movie made about him in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 5: My kids say that it's only cool to wear the crocs or stocks with socks, and then if you go barefooted that you're an old guy, pervert.
Speaker 8: That that's true, But I don't think they're talking about white ankle socks and birkenstocks.
Speaker 5: No, that's what they wear about socks and cross He didn't know.
Speaker 4: He was just look at that.
Speaker 5: I'm a socks crocs guy.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers?
Speaker 6: What's that?
Speaker 1: Say Yanni Seth without an answer? Randall says Squanto, Anthony without an answer. Nate says Squanto. Wow, forty says Lego and Stitch. The correct answer is squanto or squantum oh. Squanta was kidnapped by an English explorer in sixteen fourteen and spent five years in Europe before returning home to America in sixteen nineteen. He served as a liaison between tribes in southern New England and the Mayflower Pilgrims. In sixteen twenty, the Disney movie about his life only made three million dollars at the box office and was considered a commercial failure. Randall has the perfect game going into question ten. He's already wrapped up the victory. We'll see if we can double today's donation. Question ten, the topic is hunting. Which Canadian province has a subspecies of elk named after it softball? Which Canadian province has a subspecies of elk named after it? Randal already has his answer, Randal, do you have this one right? I believe so? Okay? Yiannis also confident which Canadian province has a subspecies of elk named after it? And Randal is so confident he is farming his Instagram dms right now to see what the newest org he's going to donate to will be? One thousand dollars donations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, let's not count our proverbial chickens before they proverbially hatch.
Speaker 1: Okay, which Canadian province has a subspecies of elk named after it? Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 5: No obvious one or tricky?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, Yanni declared it obvious, but so far him and Randal are the only ones who have any confidence, so I don't think this is an obvious one.
Speaker 6: Is the subspecies still alive?
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna give you any of that?
Speaker 6: Canna be help?
Speaker 1: Which Canadian province has a subspecies named after it? It is? Everybody ready ready as I'll ever be, go ahead and reveal your ant as we have, Yannas saying, Manitoba seth without an answer. Randall says Yukon, Anthony smile and Hates says Saskatchewan. Corey says Roosevelt. The correct answer is Manitoba man Randall did not counting, oh.
Speaker 5: Show and he's found joy in this state. Well, he's only found that because I got the last number nine Roun.
Speaker 1: The six subspecies of elk are the extinct Merriams and Eastern elk in the Rocky Mountain, Roosevelt Tuley, and Manitoba elk. The historic range of Manitoba elk extends from central Alberta to North Texas, but they're almost exclusively found in Saskatchewan and Manitoba today. Compared to Rocky Mountain elk, Manitoba elk have a larger boy and smaller antlers, so they are still around. They are not yet extinct, and I think that they used Manitoban elk to stock North Carolina recently. So the distribution of them is very strange. If you were to look at a map, Randall, five hundred dollars donation A thousand conservation organ is going to be very disappointed in you.
Speaker 5: Randall, if you had actually read it as elk and not moves would you have gotten it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's a worthwhile reminder to not get ahead of oneself.
Speaker 7: That's what I tell my twelve year old and he goes to school. Read the whole prompt before you start.
Speaker 2: So that's the.
Speaker 1: Answer to get to Instagram. Who's getting the five hundred dollars today? Randall?
Speaker 3: The five hundred dollars will go to the Connecticut River Valley Chapter of Delta Waterfowl of Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, all right, what have they got going on?
Speaker 3: They are a new chapter and they're hosting their first event on June twenty first, in the form of a kill balsa shoot is not much different than your standard turkey shoot. They're raising money to grow the chapter and build hen tubes and wood duck boxes and working on an effective nest predator management program in western Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Okay, five hundred dollars going to a new org for us in a new org just in general. Sorry, guys, think of all the ducks you could.
Speaker 6: You got the win? Randall, Come on, yeah, don't be so hard.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, it's funny. They still go down.
Speaker 6: As I was surprised when I saw yukon on your board.
Speaker 2: I was surprised no one else knew it.
Speaker 1: Join us next week for more meaty to Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 5: Thanks Spencer, Yeah, Spencer from South Dakota.
Speaker 1: He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks.
Speaker 2: And it's an avid amateur lockhow