Speaker 1: Hey, Philly's legend Cole Hamils is here joining us live on Fouled Territory right now. Cole, It's great to see you and happy All Star festivities in Philly. Is it cool to be back here and hanging out?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: I think you know, anytime you're able to come into the city for you know, sort of a playoff atmosphere, you know, the All Star break is special.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The city just kind of absorbs it and takes them.
Speaker 4: And it's been awesome been here for the last couple of days seeing everything that's kind of transpired. And I've been to a few All Star games, this has been something very very special.
Speaker 3: The fans have turned off the energy, so it's been great.
Speaker 5: Have you running around crazy?
Speaker 3: Oh god? Yes, this is just break. It's like my break.
Speaker 4: But I think the best part is at least I know the city so I can kind of you know, coordinate and get everything taken care of.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's been good though. They've done a goods. Like I saw Jason Worth yesterday. I think he might have just gotten here. Yeah, and he was undering in the.
Speaker 5: Tunnel and he was running around. I was like, hey, what's up.
Speaker 2: He's like I gotta go. I got me and I was like, you know, you're because one's supposed to come. Now I'm here, So now they're doubling me up.
Speaker 3: Oh god.
Speaker 4: Well and you know Chase, I mean, he just played in the golf tournament in Tahoe and then Lands and they have him going. So they they've done a really really good job with how we can interact with the fans. And you know, Phillies they're all about that. I mean just the passion they have so that we're we're happy, good.
Speaker 2: Time and you guys are you guys are the beast knees, the oh wait champs will always have a place in Philly fans.
Speaker 5: Hearts. Now, who do you want?
Speaker 2: Who do you like seeing when you guys all come back together, when you come when this group gets together the list, you're like, oh, I get.
Speaker 5: To see that.
Speaker 4: So this is funny because he just landed yesterday and came straight to it. Ryan Matson, Ryan Mats and mad Dog Hey Land. I think he was in the Bahamas and he came. We saw him in the suite yesterday and Work goes up to him, Chase goes up to him. I'm there, like he just he was such a good teammate and kind of you know, I think you have to be when you're in the bullpen.
Speaker 3: But we love him and he's been good.
Speaker 5: You don't have to be I saw him.
Speaker 2: I saw him in eleven when he was kind of transitioning and like Lys was kind of transitioning to the eighth inning. And then it was gonna be like mad Dog in the next year. Obviously the contract stuff didn't work out. Pap came in. He was the exact same dude in Kansas City when we were together in fifteen and won the World Series. Like, he is that guy, So I like that. Who said that, yeah.
Speaker 3: You root, you root for the Phillies, right, yeah, absolutely, no root for him.
Speaker 2: Because that's one of the thing because okay, because people have to I played for more team teams obviously, but people like pretty Rooper. I always say the White Sox say why I said, Well, I won there. I was there the longest, Right.
Speaker 3: What I meant by that is what was it twenty three when they went to the World Series.
Speaker 2: We two, So that's my question, Right, it is the last team to win, So like the eighty team forever was the team in Philly, right, nineteen eighty team.
Speaker 5: Then you guys won in two thousand and eight. Same in Chicago two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: We one they've never seen the Phillies and the White White Tars haven't really kind closed since then. But the Phillies have been to the world too. Is they've done deep in the playoffs before.
Speaker 3: Do you root for them to win?
Speaker 4: I do, And I think the fact that a lot of us want want them to win is because it's such a special group to be a part of. We want more to join, you know, we want we want these guys because it is like we look at now the eighty guys. They were so good to us and they're still incredible mentors. They love having us around, and now we want that kind of next group of guys to kind of come in so that we can kind of be that help liaison of what it's all.
Speaker 3: About to win.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, we want them to win, and we'd love for them to win back to back. I mean, that would be kind of awesome if we can get multiple championships, because it's hard, it's very difficult to do and they do have a talented team, so it's just a matter of time to try to get it done.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised they haven't won yet? Because they've had this group together.
Speaker 3: For a ban.
Speaker 1: They are stars, they've performed well, playoffs, the whole deal.
Speaker 4: They haven't gotten I know. And and that's what just shows you. It's it's so difficult to win. And I really do think that they've had the opportunities, just haven't been able to do it. Just like even the team that I played for, you know, in eight, nine, ten, eleven. I mean we had star studied lineups and you know, on paper, everything looks great, but it's when it comes down to it, you have to deliver in the right big moments. And and so that's that's kind of what Philly is right now. They have to deliver in the big moments.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's eleven team.
Speaker 2: We should have won the World Series that Do you ever look at that team with For people who don't know, is Roy Holliday, Ole Hammils, roy O's Walt, Joe Blanton, Vance Whirley.
Speaker 3: You did, but you did.
Speaker 2: Because everybody knows that Cliff was easily the worst of the whole team.
Speaker 5: If he listens to.
Speaker 3: This stillmaker or something.
Speaker 5: But do you look at that?
Speaker 2: Do you look at that team when you watch other teams that are doing super well now and go where they're at, like I feel where like they were really close, but I understand.
Speaker 4: No, it's yeah, I mean that team you could look at us and we knew we're gonna win every single day, or you know, you you could put your money on it. I mean, it was kind of one of those situations and it's just unfortunate didn't happen. And you know, the Cardinals were hot. Chris Carbenter is pretty damn good too, so you know, it's just kind of you have to look how they matched up and now, Yeah, you look at teams now and it's matchups.
Speaker 3: And delivering in the big moments.
Speaker 4: I mean, sometimes you have those stars that don't know their stars yet and they deliver in the big moment, they make a name for themselves and you start talking about them.
Speaker 1: Many people have this problem. I want to eat healthy. I have the willpower, I don't have the time and the organization. I need help.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 5: I mean, you go to factor.
Speaker 2: I got two boys that are looking for the games and they always come in the house.
Speaker 5: Was I'm looking for food.
Speaker 2: Now they have actual healthy food that is great for them, and you know what, it's ready in the fridge for them to pop in and make it right away.
Speaker 1: And they have meals built around your goals. It could be weight loss, overall, nutrition gains, more protein, fresh never frozen, over one hundred rotating weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean and Asian. I get all kinds of different salads from Factor that I love, quick easy. They can be ready in two minutes. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash Foul fifty off and use code Foul fifty off to get fifty percent off and free daily greens per box with new subscription only, while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty twenty six. What Apple went to the league not realizing Zach Wheeler was a star, an All Star? And then give us your take, because there's a lot of oh, well, he should have just said okay whenever they asked him. I mean you can speak to being in someone's chooes like that, where you get the last minute ask where do you stand on this?
Speaker 3: Well? And yeah, I one hundred percent agree with that.
Speaker 4: It's something where you don't want to be that fifth option. And you know, I understand what he's been able to do and accomplish, especially after that surgery. He's delivering like a superstar and he wasn't treated like a superstar. And I feel like that's kind of what the All Star Game is all about, is you have the superstars and you have those guys that deliver, and he's that guy. You can't be fifth down the line. And so I think it's something where it sparks a conversation. Now for those accolades carry a ton of weight, especially when you're retired, especially in contracts. I mean, it sounds better when you're a five time All Star than a three time All Star. I mean that is huge, and that is Zach. I mean, the guy is a cy young candidate. You know, he's he's going to be a big guy at the end, and he's not get the credit.
Speaker 1: And also once every twenty thirty, forty fifty years sometimes for teams to have All Star games and you had a layup low two Zra player's gonna be a Hall of Fame all like it's it's everything happening all at once. Also, I know you saw like Phillies were after a terrible start, other things happened but Zach Wheeler comes back, they take off the moment that he could have had here.
Speaker 4: Yes, Christopher Sanchez gets his moment absolutely, but as he was a smart I mean, he's the spark plug bear. He sets the tone and to then kind of have the situation happen the way it did. Yeah, I think it's a big conversation that I think needs to happen in the CBA and with the commission about really what the All Star Game is about, but also what that does to people's careers and how it really describes and shows the credit you have to give credit?
Speaker 3: Where's credits? Due?
Speaker 2: By way, I argued that all an All Star Game shouldn't start if they're just going to give All Star appearances and you know there's eighty five alls. No, there's less this year. I think last year's eighty five alls. Well, as you know you're up for the Hall of Fame. Oh he was a four time All Star. If you were a seven time All Star, right, people were like, whoa, he was even better than I thought because of the All Star Well, if you're gonna cheapen it and then not have a guy like Zach Wheeler, then you shouldn't use that fort salary, and you shouldn't use that for the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: It will never change.
Speaker 2: I get it, but that's what that's like my big argument. I don't want to get into that one.
Speaker 3: But I also wist.
Speaker 4: No, this is actually kind of interesting because the game of baseball, if you're playing for one team, that team in that division kind of knows who you are.
Speaker 3: The rest of the league doesn't. All star games are kind of what put you on the map.
Speaker 4: So this keeps the conversation going about how good you really are that other fan bases don't see all the time because they don't face you.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of really good players. This is where you get the acknowledgment, and so why prevent that?
Speaker 5: I agree? I agree?
Speaker 2: All right, your last start of the Philly was a no hit, which is unbelievably awesome.
Speaker 3: It's so cool.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine if Charlie Manuel would have come to you and said, you're in the eighth inning, You're like, cool, You're in ninety two pitches.
Speaker 5: That's it for the day. You're done.
Speaker 3: Go take us to go have a beer.
Speaker 5: Wrigley.
Speaker 3: Right, No, it wasn't Charlie.
Speaker 5: It was Pete mccannon and Pete.
Speaker 3: Yeah we had Pete mccannon. Yeah, okay, so no we have Pete.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Charlie had been like, you can go out there for the tenth you keep going yeah, home run. Yeah, no he was there, but yeah, the game has changed a little bit. Yeah. I think it's a lot where pitchers need to really.
Speaker 4: Learn how to have beneficial conversations with the pitching coach, with the manager, with the analytics about this these numbers that are coming up in the sixth seventh inning, Like, no, I'm pacting myself like they have to be up front a little bit more gone. No, I've got this strategy right now, let me do it. I still have more in the tank, but I don't need to expose it yet. They have to have more conversation because I think that was something I learned is if Charlie came out, I'm like, no, Charlie, I've still got something.
Speaker 3: Let me go batter by that.
Speaker 4: Let's work towards something you can trust me, not you know the whole I've got.
Speaker 3: I'm going to finish what I started and then you're hanging. You have to learn how to communicate.
Speaker 2: And this is a guy now like We are definitely in the era of don't pitch a lot. There's a lot of thirty two's and thirty threes all the way down this list.
Speaker 5: You made your starts, yep. Did you make your starts because.
Speaker 2: You went first inning hunch hunch, hunch, brick, best breaking ball of the game, punch out or did you make all those starts because you were able to do what you said?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: No, I'm pacing myself. My whole goal was give me close to one hundred and ten pitches and we're gonna work down.
Speaker 3: But I'm going nine innings. And that was the bullpen.
Speaker 4: Knew it, and it was if I wasn't throwing first switch strikes, I don't need to throw ninety five mile an hour first pitch strike. I could throw ninety one down and a way, or I'm going up and in. I'm still trying to figure it out. I can throw o curveballs, you know, something where I could pace and wasn't as stressful because I'm trying to build towards the whole game, not just blow it out in the first Guys feel strategic pressure from coaching staffs and really front offices to go all out right away.
Speaker 1: And just give me your vest five or six or whatever. Some guys have been able to overcome that and go deeper into outings. But I know you mentioned it's a conversation. How do you foundationally change all of that or revert it back when they're saying, no, our percentage chance of winning is better because we might get one more punch out in the first inning instead of a home run. You know, it starts to play a percentages game. That's what they're putting in their computer.
Speaker 3: I think that the importance is spring training.
Speaker 4: I think spring training is where you set the tone, where you're talking about where you're working things. I mean, Eric knows I didn't throw ninety miles an hour in my first spring training game.
Speaker 3: I was like eighty five eighty six.
Speaker 4: I was just a slow build up, and I wanted to peek in the middle of the season and I wanted to finish Sean.
Speaker 3: I mean it was I want to.
Speaker 4: Post my thirty four starts, plus I tried to prepare for at least four to five starts in the postseason. My whole training regiment in the off season and in spring training alone was to play until November first, and that was what I did, and I learned a lot from Roy Holiday because that was his mentality too.
Speaker 2: The whole team was that well, I mean I got when I got to PILLI en eleven, the whole team was didn't matter if you were a rookie or a fifteen year vet, and was like, we're not We're Everything else was about the windows. We were playing into November first, yep, and I mean I saw it in the pitching stead. I saw it in everything. That's also weird about twelve, and that's what brings me to my twenty twelve, Oh Hamma story. We were in La. Do you remember going You probably don't have. Our conversation with LA looked like they were one of the teams that was going to trade for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah they were.
Speaker 5: And you and I were.
Speaker 2: Sitting in the Doug app and you looked around and you were like something from southern California, and you were like, I just don't know if I could play at a place with this type of energy. Obviously twelve we were kind of we're out of it and are we out of it? All that stuff. So it's a trade deadline coming up. Then you signed your extensions. Yep, how much? How long did that decision weigh on, dude? And how hard was that decision once the team offered you the extension. If not, you're getting traded in your career would have been completely different.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was those two weeks kind of going into the All Star break and then going into the trade deadline July. It was shaky because Philly was all. I know, I've had an incredible career here. I wasn't ready to give that up because the intensity of the fans. I mean, the NLS, that is a fun division. I mean, the cities they are going to, the you know, the type of competition.
Speaker 3: I do love California. I enjoy It's a great place to play.
Speaker 4: But I was still hooked on this division, this team, this city, and I still had hope.
Speaker 3: I mean I still had hope of what we were doing.
Speaker 4: I still the pitching staff was still holiday Lee myself. We still had Chase, Ryan, Jimmy. I mean we still hat you know, Pince, we had the upper start was still there. We can still go, we can still do this and yeah, So once the team offered me the contract that I felt was you know, fair and what I wanted.
Speaker 3: It was a no brainer. I was like, yeah done, let's get it done.
Speaker 1: Big second half of the season coming up, there might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience they need to get your hands on, and sea geek is the spot for that. You can find good, good pricing. They help you with the pricing green dot good, red dot not as good. And they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 6: Why would you not use sekk if you want a view from your seat. You want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal. It has all of it on the app.
Speaker 3: It's easy to use.
Speaker 5: It's one click boom.
Speaker 6: You buy the tickets, they send them right to you, get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game, whatever you're a fan of, if you can go to, whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into, you can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on sekk.
Speaker 1: And for MLB tickets, you can get ten percent off with that promo cover running all season long. Territory one zero, that's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your count so you can use it later.
Speaker 2: One of the things in the chat that people were asking was what would you like as a starter on your start there?
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna let you I'm not gonna leave the witness. I'm gonna let.
Speaker 2: You say how you think you were, and then I'll tell you exactly how you were.
Speaker 3: That's perfect from a catcher's point of view. I love it.
Speaker 4: I tried to come in and be just more laid back, but I had a schedule, and my schedule on the clock. I knew where I was going to be when it hit five. I knew where I was going to be at thirty mark fifty five. Like, I had this schedule. When I came in, I'm over here. I have to do this. It was like checkpoints, and I just needed to get my check check check, and then I would go out there.
Speaker 3: And I did.
Speaker 4: I went out there, I think at the same exact time on the dot if it was a seven or five game, if it was a one on five game, I had this sort of routine and I stuck to it.
Speaker 5: It was it was very methodical.
Speaker 2: But the part that I always tell people because they're like, we've already said the staff. Roy Holliday was in the in the video room, so intense, all this stuff blah blah. He had his Cliff was like whatever, He's like, I'm just gonna throw strikes, probably a card.
Speaker 3: He get inline cards sometimes like ten minutes before the game, like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like you get out there.
Speaker 2: He go do whatever pippers do think and Cole would always come in. He'd go exactly like he said, very relaxed, you go, you know, I don't really want to talk about the talk about the lineup, like we know these guys, it's a division opponent. And then he'd go, he's but he'd be on the table when I'd come and ask him. He'd be on the training table getting stretched and I go okay, and I'm walking out the door and he go, h hey, just remember Rugiano can't hate a change up. And then or we're playing the Braves, he's like, hey, just remember, you know, Schipper's always looking for that back door cut off. And then by the time he's done his stretching, we've gone through all nine guys and flying up and including just throw them out Tim Hudson. But the start he would always say, I don't really you know these guys, I don't really want to go over them. And it was like his like almost like his like cool California way of being like, I'm intense. But as he would go through it, you would get more and more locked in, and you would get so pissed off. You would get so pissed off at the catcher if we didn't get the sign in in time.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: I was about to say it big on signs and now punch buttons in, but you know I had a series of signs that works pretty much my whole career. The numbers meant different pitches and locations, and I was like, hey, you have these down because if we cross up, I'm throwing it to that location.
Speaker 3: Better not be jumping over it here, I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah. His were exactly opposite of what when I signed.
Speaker 3: Wight to share them. Yeah, I mean, I'm not all right, I want to hear it.
Speaker 4: Nobody uses them but one curveball okay, two inside fastball, Oh my god, them I forget.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: Three was changed.
Speaker 5: Four cutter.
Speaker 4: You know, five, like a wiggle just to distract. Yeah, then we have that. So yeah, and we just kind of bounced it back and forth. I mean I have and we just go and it was sometimes we would talk about it where it'd be either first sign or second sign, you know, just like so put them all down, but I'm looking at the second sign and yeah, it just as long as we.
Speaker 5: Have that straight.
Speaker 2: Nobody ever, nobody ever felt maybe somebody will come out and be like, yeah, we had your signs. Yeah that's what it didn't didn't hit Lloyd Holiday would then pitch the next day at his signs with a runner on second.
Speaker 5: We're the exact opposite.
Speaker 2: So I'm sitting there like, I hope the first guy doesn't get on second base and it's a first get's double and I'm like, okay, just catching Paul happ where's shoots? I don't want to be out here, but hey.
Speaker 1: You gotta remember the playbook. Yeah, did anybody disrupt your day ever? Where you have everything timed out and ninety five percent of people around you know, don't mess with the starter, but something happened some delay and then they're like, up, the schedule is screwed.
Speaker 4: Today well, no, I think anytime we got in the playoffs. I'm in the playoffs, they're set on their sort of routine, and you know, you have the flag, yeah, cops.
Speaker 3: Ambulance and stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, they kind of set the schedule and it was always a couple of minutes different than my variation, and so you kind of get out. And I didn't like to just hang out in the outfit, you know, I wanted to do something. I mean, we would kind of talk a little bit, but then it was like, all right, now it's I got to play catch. Now we've got to warm up. Now we've got to do this, and I've got to be in the dugout at this time. So when you're doing playoff stuff, I get it. You have national anthems, they're different, but you know that flag I just mentioned comes out that would kind of throw it off. And I think I do remember postseason Derek Low, we didn't know what to do, and you know, we're having a home game, it's l the NLCS Game one, and both he and I are trying to warm up. Well, we can't flags the size of the field, and he's looking on like where are you throwing?
Speaker 3: Where am I throwing, and we just kind of had a.
Speaker 4: Chuckle about it about because you're like, all right, we'll figure it out, and then you know, he just kind of make do all right, I.
Speaker 2: Got two more, we have time. The cops just went buy first. Tell me about after you guys won an eight the cops taking you to Brett Meyers house or were you already there?
Speaker 3: No? Yeah, So we end up going.
Speaker 4: To Burls girl had Burl had the party, so he was he was down here in Rittenhouse Square. I mean, half the streets are close off because it's all fans, so you have no route to get anywhere, and so finally cops are the ones that have to kind of rout us.
Speaker 3: But at first they're like, no, you can't go there, And then they see us, where are you going?
Speaker 4: And we're like we've got a party here, Like, oh, we've got you, we'll take you. Then we get to Burl's house for this party, We've got no food and no booze. Within like ten minutes cops come up and they have all of it for us. Wow, And it was I mean that's why full city man. They love you the passion. And so then we're having a great team party. And yeah, typical rule that I just don't drive home.
Speaker 3: Nope, we're good.
Speaker 5: So fast forward a year.
Speaker 2: You didn't have quite the same reception season all that stuff for you guys back in the World Series, and you tell us to cut the police escort that you've got after you came out of start, and I think it was Copenbarger came up to you and told you to do that.
Speaker 5: I was having a kid, you know, right after the start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I'm gonna have a kid right in the middle of the game. And it was the n l DS Game one against the Rockies. I didn't I didn't obviously have the best start. I gave up a big home run, so I got pulled. I mean, I think it's like the fifth or sixth inning and Frank Coin of goes, hey, you're about to have a kid. I was like, oh, I got to go to the hospital. I get in a cop car and the cop took me all the way to the hospital.
Speaker 3: Wow. It's pretty special.
Speaker 4: That's why I mean here, this is this is a special place and so appreciative of everything that. You know, the fans are great, you know, the cops obviously are great. It's it's been fun. I've I've enjoyed every minute of it. They took care of you, guys.
Speaker 1: The biggest surprise for me is Pat world and have alcohol in his apartment.
Speaker 3: I mean he did. He might not have had all of us, but I mean he might have had for thirty people, not one hundred people. But Pep Bar could show you a good time. I know that at the bat. Yeah, exactly, we'll call. Thanks for the extended time, man, thanks for stopping by. Awesome to have you. Appreciate it. Have fun today, No, thank you, guys.
Speaker 4: This is you know I catch I always catch some of the show every once in a while, so.
Speaker 3: You guys do a great job. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: M