Speaker 1: Also media, Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Welcome to ikodefen here a podcast being recorded something like nineteen hours into bargaining with managements, thus at the peak of maximal derangements, and also about an hour after former President Donald John Trump was convicted of thirty four felony accounts of falsifying business records for his election time payoff of Stormy Daniels. We can only hope that this will bring voting race to a long suffering felons of Florida. And realizing that kind of sounds like a joke, it's actually not. It is in fact, really messed up that you can just disenfranchise an entire class of people and maybe the law hurting someone famous will do something good. Now, that's all the time we have to talk about Trump right now. You know, if you want, if you want to hear more about that, you can go to literally everyone who's ever done any media related thing. Ever, however, we now have to talk about the other candidate in the twenty twenty four election, Joe Biden, which means this is all the fun you're getting for this episode. It is now time for you to suffer and with me to talk about suffering, and specifically the suffering of my Well, I was gonna say my people like like one of my people's question work, I don't know, identities complicated. Sometimes you're more than one thing at a time. Is Karin Green, who's part of a Southern transfem collective launching a very long list of projects that you will be hearing you out very shortly. She also used to be a work on policy for the Equality Federation and for the Transientered Law Center. Yeah, Karin, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, happy to be here, and yeah, I'm excited to get the opportunity to kind of talk about maybe what is behind some of the press releases and the HRC list of accomplishments that gets when I complain about lack of action on transpolicy.
Speaker 2: You know, I really should have looked this up the forehead. But I once one of my friends dragged me in college to a queer movie screening that I went to because I hadn't eaten all day and they had food. It ended up being this this really great little kind of I think it's like an indie movie thing that's about this group of queers robbing stealing a blood diamond from the from the HRC. Great movie, ten out of ten. I wish I remember what it was called.
Speaker 3: In the movement at the time, we all joked that HRC stood for peculiar Ron and Glinton rather than campaign because of how in the tank they were.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So, as as the listener may may have guests, we need to talk about Joe Biden's quite frankly, really terrible record on trans writes.
Speaker 4: And to do that, we.
Speaker 2: Need to talk a little bit about where the power of the president comes from, because, you know, the sort of traditional liberal wonk theories of the president tend to either focus on like the discursive effects of what the president says, or like the president's ability to like negotiate with Congress to get bills passed. But this largely is not where the president's power comes from. The president's power comes from. I guess three things, two of which are very similar. One is, you know, I mean just literally the command of the military. Right the president, since since Barack Obama, although Bush was doing similar things, has claimed the legal authority to kill any man, woman, or child the moment they leave us or regardless of her citizenship status. This is this is the legal foundation of the drone program and it is still in place to this day. You know, the second one, I'm talking a lot about Obama here because Obama weirdly established a lot of these kind of legal frameworks. But you know, the second one has to do with their ability to control the nation's intelligence services. You know, I mean one of the things that Obama did was personally coordinate the mess like multi agency crackdown on occupy. And then the third thing, and this is where really most of the power is is through the unbelievably massive federal bureaucracy. So like I do kind of get an assessed of this, and anytime you hear the words the Department of that is the thing the president has the ability to do shit with that. That that is that is a very simplified version of it. But yeah, you know, when when when you're dealing with an office's power is largely bureaucratic, it means that if you want to figure out what they're actually doing, you have to dig really deep into the depths of the American bureaucracy. So okay, let's let's let's do that. And yeah, first I want I want to ask you about p p a c A one five five seven, which is a part of the the Affordable Care Act. Otherwise, is it still better known as Obamacare? Do the kids Obamacare?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they reclaimed it. I think the lips took it back.
Speaker 4: I had.
Speaker 2: I've been having this realization that people don't remember Obama era stuff. Is why I'm saying. Oh, like I said, I started saying Ferguson to people and they had no idea what I was talking about. And I was like, oh no, we ventured the k we ventured the disaster era. So yeah, you can you talk about what that is and what what it sort of says about what the Biden administration isn't isn't doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, So, as you mentioned, it's part of the Affordable Care Act, and so section fifteen fifty seven is the regulatory implementation of the non discrimination.
Speaker 5: Parts of the Affordable Care Act.
Speaker 3: Back in the day when we were fighting to prevent Trump from rolling back some fifteen fifty seven protections, we actually are comf people came up with a much sexier name than section fifteen fifty seven, but it never took off with any of the policy people, and so I don't even remember what I'm supposed to be calling it. So yeah, I never hear people say section fifteen fifty seven. What they're referencing is the basically the non discrimination part of the Affordable Care Act. And so the Affordable Care Act, as people have probably noticed by now, touches practically all of the US healthcare system and has extended, especially through Medicaid expansion, federal dollars into healthcare even more than they had been previously with the supplants for insurance through Medicaid expansion and those kinds of things, And so there's actually a lot of control that the Department of Health or Health and Human Services and associated other parts of bureaucracy like Center for Medicaid, Medicare Services, those kinds of things have over implementation. And so one of the ways that this works. Is when legislators write a law, they don't go into all the details. They just pass a law.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And so most times, especially at the federal level, after a law has passed, the relevant agencies that are going to be dealing with that part of the law work on and issue rules or regulations. You might hear them called either thing, but they mean the same thing, right. So it's basically the additional agency policies and procedures that they issue through the formal process governed by the Adminied Rate Procedures Act. Very exciting, I know this is going to be like just bombshell episode.
Speaker 4: Terrible stuff is coming. Don't worry. Hold, oh you got a hold on. It's going to get really bad.
Speaker 3: I'm giving you the foundation to make sure you can get maximally angry along with me. And so they create the rest of the implementation of the laws at that Congress passes, right. And so in this particular case, for section fifteen fifty seven, it deals specifically with non discrimination, So it deals with race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, any any equality you can you can you typically find in federal non discrimination laws actually in the fifteen fifty seven and so it's obviously been kind of going back and forth as a political football between the Obama administration and then the Trump administration, and then I don't even know if I'm going to give Biden credit for treating it as a football. And so there's this regulatory process that has been going forward and been rolled back and going forward and been rolled back, and then simultaneousley there are several I don't know the current number, but several court cases over fifteen to fifty seven from various eras, like I think there's still at least one case ongoing from the Obama era fifteen fifty seven, there's some ongoing from the Trump rag and then obviously folks might have seen in the news that states like mine louisianatt that have a governor and attorney general super focused on raising their own profile have already filed suit against the recently issued Biden era Section fifteen fifty seven regulation. And so there is a lot of fighting around trans people specifically. Go figure. It has been We've been hot right now for the last four years or so. It's not been a super exciting time, and it is actually impacted if you know how to read the policy TA leaves. It has actually impacted what we have gotten out of the Biden administration in terms of actual trans policy. And I've been doing transpolicy for a very long time, start at the state level in Louisiana. You can't get paid to do a queer policy in Louisiana. So I moved out to Oakland to work for Transit Or Law Center for a while, and that was actually where I created the joint Protect trans Health campaign. It was actually the first ever coordinated collaboration between the National Center for Changuer Quality and Transgeneral Law Center. They had never formerly worked together on something before, but for trans policy folks, Section fifty and most of the country. Frankly, obviously, healthcare is like the thing right. It's always been really terrible in this country, no matter what, and so taking care of people's which should be a right to access healthcare, has been really really important. I kind of considered it since twenty seventeen the most important trans policy issue to work on. And so this is definitely kind of to the sense that you are a nerd like me, and you have, you know, headline regulatory actions that you're looking out for and hoping to influence and doing things around this is kind of the premiere regulatory action. In my opinion, in the trans polacy space, I'm trying to what it should ideally do is safeguard and guarantee trans people's access to healthcare, including gender affirming care. It does not if you actually read the five hundred and fifty eight page final rule, But if you just read like the press releases and the quotes that the head of Human Rights Campaign give, you might have a different understanding currently, And that's what I'm hoping we can kind of get into today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and unfortunately before we get into that, we have to do one of the other things that is required of trans people, which is promoting capitalism if you want to have a job.
Speaker 4: So here are some ads.
Speaker 2: God, we're going to end up with like some kept paid ad from Aluisi at our rep or something.
Speaker 3: Oh, they don't even need they have a superjority that they've been flexing muscle on.
Speaker 4: They don't need to.
Speaker 6: They're fine, and we are back with some chili.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, let's talk about what has.
Speaker 2: Been happening and what was actually in the rules that no one who's not a bureaucrat or a policy activist has actually read.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think a little more backgrounds will will help you get just as angry as I need you to be, which is you know, So the administration is large. There are a lot of people that work in the executive branch, and a lot of them have, especially with this administration, where a lot of folks actually did come kind of directly from the Obama administration. They have relationships with issue advocacy organizations. So most of the nationals, the queer national organizations, avaccine nonprofits have relationships with executive branch folks. And so when an executive branch agency like HHS is working on a regulation that involves queer trans people, the way it worked in the Obama administration, there was actually very close collaboration between for example, the National Center for Changing or Quality and the administration in the writing and issuance of the first Obama era fifteen to fifty seven productive regulation. And so before the election and then during transition, the bid administration was obviously in contact back and forth with all kinds of issue of secreups, not just the queer movement but everybody, and they made commitments to the queer movement that you know, it would be a fairly smooth transition to working with them like we had worked with the Obama administration. If you think back a little while, that was before the kind of current fascist humanization campaign had really kicked off, and so these commitments were made kind of in the overturn window from before the last four years of hell or three years of how however you want a time it when they decided to come after trans people so hard.
Speaker 2: This was back in the kind of housey in days. I don't even know if people remember this right now, but like it used to be a thing where democratic like presidential candidates would attack each other for not being radical enough on trans healthcare. That was the thing that happened on the debate stage in like twenty nineteen. It feels like seven lifetimes ago now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And keep in mind that Biden. You know, every six months he tweets that he has our back or whatever, and then he's also called us the civil rights issue of our time. So you know, there there are some opportunities to question that and see if he stacks up. And my personal and professional opinion, this is what I do, is that he absolutely doesn't right. And so one of the things that you would really really want out of a section fifteen to fifty seven regulation in a context where states have been passing trans healthcare bands, is that you would want a section fifteen fifty seve regulation that deals with preventing transcrimination and healthcare. You would want that to strongly and efficiently preempt state bans against trans care as violating a federal rule against non discrimination. And because these things are you have to follow the Administrative Procedures Act when you're issuing regulations as a federal agency, and most states actually are the same a similar kind of process, and so you kind of have to The agencies have to show how they got to the final rule. So they issue a draft rule, invite comment. There's a comment period that you might have seen organizations asking you to submit comments for before, and then they're actually required to read and respond to all those comments. And so if you actually pull up the fifteen fifty seven final rule, it's actually one of it sounds like even wonkier than for example, looking at a bill, But because of the Administrative Procedures Act and the way they have to respond to comments, there's actually a lot more kind of conversational prose or not conversational, but you know, regular ask pros and not terrifying legal language in this stuff. That is them directly addressing comments people organizations have made and explaining their reason. And so one of the things that I think is most kind of emblematic of how we've been failed and thrown under the bus is because of this process where they have to kind of show you how the sausage is made. You can look up in this regulation and see that for some initial contacts, we were promised this would come out year one, and then we were promised it would come out year two, and then year three, and then I have actually heard that they were trying to push it, asked the election, and we kind of forced their hand on it. So you can tell that they initially wrote the first draft in this regulation to kill healthcare bans, to federally preempt healthcare bands. There's actually I did a Twitter thread on this about how one sentence that existed in the draft version of the fifteen to fifty seven role that one sentence alone could take down. I think the one I used for an example was Arkansas's trans healthcare ban or Missouri's actually potentially because that what that sentence did is it laid out very very clearly that a determination that trans healthcare is never helpful or useful and can never be provided does not meet the bar for considered medical reasoning, right, and so states just can't do it. And that's fantastic, because that is only what these healthcare bands do, right. And many of them, I think the one I used as an example even actually have include in the non effective text kind of the whereas preamble section of their bands. They can't help themselves. They go into all this flowery language about how trans care is never good and it's always harmful, in all this stuff right in garbage. And this sentence spoke directly to those trans healthcare bands, and it made a firm commitment to address them as a whole as they were happening right at the federal government to state level. And if you read the final rule, you will get to see them strike that sentence out and read their reasoning for striking that out. And so you actually had this language that was very clear and very strong, written very relatively early on in his term, when at the time there were only a handful of trans healthcare bands that had passed, right, And so it didn't And so now I'm just offering conjectures and form conjecture, conjecture informed by reading.
Speaker 1: Policy tea leaves.
Speaker 3: But it is my suspicion that at that time, because there weren't that many trans healthcare bands to preempt, they were more than willing to maintain, you know, to fulfill their commitment to us and to issue the kind of regulation that we had talked about. But as time went on and the fascist humanization campaign started and ramped up, and healthcare bands rapidly spread throughout the country. I've been doing this for a decade and I've never seen anything like this in any area of policy before. All of a sudden, if you're holding a card that nuke's health state healthcare bands, when you wrote it, that card was only going to nuke a few two or three trans healthcare bands, right, And if you're the federal government, you know you can expect to steam rolls and just a handful of states like that. But then later on, at this point I forget the exact number, but it's something like twenty twenty to twenty three states have healthcare bands implemented. And now if you're holding a card that nuke's healthcare bands, you don't really get to pick and choose which healthcare bands you're going to. Now you're going to you have to commit to new call of them if you play that card, and that just was not something that they seemed willing to do when it was going to make the waves that it would make with you know, twenty to twenty three or whatever, states being prete empted and required to make sure that trans people have healthcare access. And keep in mind that during this period, not just did more states past these healthcare bands, but the kind of national discussion and focus on trends people deteriorated horrifically, right, And so not only were the stakes higher in terms of the kind of policy confidence in projecting your politics, but also there was just I assume those lanyards run horrible polls all the time, right, and saw that we were losing points in terms of how the public views transpeople because there's a lot of money being poured into this, and just made the horrible unethical and moral calculations that democrats make decided that trans people weren't worth it. And so you can see them across that strike that part out of the final fifteen to fifty seven room, and it no longer contains any language even approaching that that is written to address states as a whole, and it is mostly what is in there at this point is the same thing that they've been telling us to do for the last over a decade, which is, individual trans people who just happened to encounter discrimination and health care, you just submit an OCR complaint, an HHSOCR complaint. OCR I stands for Office Civil Rights. So you would think an Office of Civil Rights maybe be proactive and notice that a state that has banned trans healthcare and some places even criminalized it might be ready for some enforcement, some broad enforcement. And yet they have they have maintained in this final rule that they expect individual trans people to file individual OCR complaints every time and that they will address each one on a case by case basis. They reiterate this at least a dozen times. It is one of the most offensive parts of all this, right because that's the only thing that AJS has ever told us about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is just nuts, Like that's not an actual systemic way of addressing Can you imagine if they had done this with like literally any other kind of civil rights issue, Like you know, okay, we get we get, we get a state banned on gay marriage, and the Department is like, yeah, you have to submit a complaint to us individually, Like that's absolutely nuts.
Speaker 3: Or are oriented like states were band insulin or something, you know, right, like any other any other facet of healthcare. Just nobody would take that. Yeah, everyone to expect, Yes, the federal government will come in to make sure that people in Louisiana can still access insulin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And instead you have this just you know, I mean a complete abrogation of any like, not just any responsibility, but I mean any attempt to actually, like not even like any attempt to do anything to stop any of these bands that are you going to kill a like not in significant number of people like me?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And one of the things I'd like to win is one of the benefits of of you know, the photogram having to follow the Administrative Procedures Act is they have to talk about the previous rules in this space, and so you also get really, I was gonna say funny, but they're not funny. They're they're deeply depressing paragraphs about how their final rule is worse than Obama's final rule. Right, they have and they have to explain it and open One of the things that I'll reference here is that Obama's final rule I believe, involved directing the Office of Al Rights to conduct a disparate impact analysis on you know, marginalized populations to determine if there were discriminatory outcomes in healthcare access, kind of even as a closed system, so they can look in from the outside and be like, oh, okay, all the transmuble in the state can't access.
Speaker 7: X, Y and z.
Speaker 3: So whether that whether there is a discriminatory you know law or not, there is a disparate impact on this population, and that means we need to take enforcement action. And you get to read the Biden HHS right about how they're not going to do that.
Speaker 2: Actually, no, no, don't, please, please do please do not do any analysis to see your trans people are being oppressed. This would look really bad for us. Yeah, speaking speaking of looking bad for us, you know, you know what won't look bad. It's if you buy these products and services from this ad that hopefully isn't I don't know. I feel I feel like we're kind of running We've run through the cycle of the terrible ads, so I feel like we're about we're on the precipice of there being another bunch of ads they put on the show without telling.
Speaker 4: Us that we can complain about. But for now these ones and we are back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think this is something that I don't know. I think most people do not know this. I don't I think most people do not understand that not only is the Biden administration not being proactive, it's like they're actively rolling back protections, and they're actively rolling back things that the agency used to do under Obama, which was you know, in most other respects.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Again, I don't.
Speaker 2: Really like, can I expect the people who listened to the show to remember the Obama administration?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was one of the people who came of aged off my parents' healthcare plan kind of exactly right before kind of primary PPACA productions kicked in, right and so I had a several month period where they could still deny you health insurance using or being trands as a pre existing condition, as they don't god and so that that that actually did happen to me. I applied for health insurance and they sent me a letter that said, you have your trends. That's a pre existing condition. We're not going to sell your health and so I so I actually did several months later, you know, those protections kicked in, and the Obama administration actually did do some kind of proactive work to make sure that those were spread around the country. Like it's not nowhere never has been as guys, good and throw.
Speaker 4: As it should be.
Speaker 3: But it worked for me here because then when I implied again, I was not denied for being trance.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, I think that's the kind of general thing I want to say about that too, is like, you know, there were things where, like on these kind of issues where the obomaministration was a lot better broadly if you look at the rest of their policy, it was like significantly further right in the Biden administration.
Speaker 4: Like Obama.
Speaker 2: Obama tried to tried to like put up grand bargain together to destroy Medicaid, Medicare, social Security, Like he tried to do that and he was stopped by the Republicans. Right, it was like, I need to give people a sense of like how far right Obama was even compared to Biden, and yet the REGs are getting worse.
Speaker 3: Which is on our issues. He was fairly fairly good, right, Yeah, and one thing that I think contributes to people not you know, I can't blame folks for not understanding this is happening because the queer advocacy orgs are not talking about things this way, right, and I think possibly one of them. The most illustrative things I can point out is when the first title nine n pr M drops. So NPRM stands for Notice of prop was rulemaking. So if I drop that again, it's a screw up on my part. I don't mean to use the dragon, but so that when they issue their first draft of a regulation and invite comment in a comment period follows.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 3: So the title nine inn PRM that they release around trans students' access to sports programs and education. If you read it the language of the actual draft policy, not the press releases people put out about it, it is functionally States rights for athlete bands.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 3: It gives the States rights to come up with a justification that involves fairness and safety, and then they will have deference to pursue or whatever, which is not just some of the ways they've done fifty fifty seven as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and like to make it explicitly clear. What they're saying is that if you, as a stake can come up with a good enough reason, you were allowed to discriminate against trans people and prevent them. Yeah, exactly doing sports, which she's like, again, it is a vert discrimination based on gender, which you should not be able to do legally. However, come the absolute cowardly shits at the Biden administration. We're like, no, you could actually do this, go ahead to have fun.
Speaker 3: Fascist humanization marks. And so, if you remember back to that time, all of the national queer organizations put out these glowing press release. So I'm on the policy side, right, I'm not on the comp side. I reanalyzed the policy, I tell them what it means, and then it's unfortunately out of my hands at that point, right, and the national queer organizations have been messaging basically all of these things as great wins moving things forward. Biden truly the first trans president. We love them, stuff like that, right, And so they did not for that title nine in BRM. And then several days later, the Representative Zoe Zephyr, a Translin represent state representative from Montana, organized the out trans state, trans and non binary state legislators from around the country to release an open letter which you know, condemned the title nine NPRM for.
Speaker 4: Being dog shit. Yeah, and so that's that's.
Speaker 3: I think maybe the one and only kind of a crack in the in the facade that has gotten through over the past couple of years is when you know, this thing came out after the police people said this is how did this happen?
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 3: And then the comms came out and they were great, glowing you know, he love trans people. And then you know, the state trans elected is actually said no, this this fucking socks actually right, But that has not really happened for anything else because they're you know, most of the people who do what I do, they're you know, specialized in each and there are many jobs for it, and you could could I could speak at length about how you don't get to speak your mind if you want to continue to stay with kind of movement employment in this sector. And so in terms of publicly being able to speak about how we're being thrown under the bus currently, there are not many folks with the expertise who are free to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I remember, like I'm not a policy person, right, Like I have I have, you know, part I mean parts of this is an analytical thing, right, Like I bailed out of going to law school because I had to read that, I had to read the Clean Air Act, and I was like, I will literally die if I have to do this for a living. But you know, I remember when when the sort of Title nine stuff came out and when and I remember trying to talk about it. I remember like the pushback that I got for being like, wait, this sucks. It was enormous. It was this like incredible sort of broad front pr campaign from just so many different and not even just you know, it had filtered down to the point where like it wasn't just like these origs. It was like just like like the random people on Twitter who's supposed to follow policy stuff were only in line. Like everyone was coming in and it was just like absolutely terrifying, Like kind of those people.
Speaker 3: Don't actually read policy. That's the thing that policy reporters don't, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so many such cases, and.
Speaker 3: So most people who report on policy or or kind of are follow policy do tend to kind of stick in the realm of those press releases and initial initial articles based on press releases and so if there is not kind of sincerity and truthfulness on the part of the orgs that are the trusted, you know, speakers in this space, then this stuff gets successfully laundered. And I think it's intentional. I think that it, on one hand, is an intentional move to prevent and stemy actual grassroots organizing around sincere and real and pressing trans needs. Because if you're trying to get a lot of people fired up about trans healthcare is like on fire, and half the like half the trans kids in the country don't have we have to like this is act up shit time. Right, But if everybody that you know is on your email list, if most of them have seen HRC and NCT and all these places put out these blowing press releases, people are like, you're crazy. If things are fine, Jo's moving things for We're good. And then also I think they have kind of backed themselves into a corner in terms of how a lot of Libs have have backed themselves into a corner at this point. Right, they know that Trump is worse on policy, even if Biden has done barely anything, Trump is obviously worse for trans people, and so they're they're allowing electoral weirdness to control actual kind of policy coms in a way that I find really really frustrating. And then I think is not doing trans people, especially in the South. It's not treating them with the respect that they deserve from their the organizations that claim to represent them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is a thing that Okay, this is this is going to sound like a weird sidebar, but I promise if you follow this train of logical do worthy. This is something you actually this is a debate You get a lot more clearly in Latin American social movements, where because because their social movements are significantly stronger from the social movements in the US, right, they are their own sort of coherent like political basis.
Speaker 4: You get this like a labor movement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, I mean, like you know that this is the thing about the labor movement. Like you know, if if you look at for example, Bolivia, which has very very strong social movements or like has traditionally had very strong labor movements in a lot social movements in the last twenty thirty years, right, I mean, like their labor movement throws dynamite at bosses, right, Like you know, so like they have they have a very strong movement. And but one of the questions of these movements, and this is something that has just torn apart the m as they're there's sort of like supposedly movement political party, is this question of to what extent should you integrate your social movement with the state. And you know, and this is a long this is a long running debate in Budge social movements. Various movements have picked different directions. Some of them have become very unfolded in the states, some of them have resisted it. And there are you know, there are benefits and problems with both. But one of the big issues with trying to sort of incorporate yourself into the state is that the state isn't just a kind of neutral body. It will, you know, it's it's not just that you're working with the state. The state is also working with you, and it will attempt to and in its political parties will attempt to seize control of your organization and turn your organization into just a sort of into you know, into basically a pr outlet for whatever thing it's doing. And this becomes a real problem when you're you know, your your party is trying to screw you.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean this came to ahead in twenty twelve where there was a huge fight in Bolivia over a plan by the MS to build a highway through a bunch of indigenous land. And this this basically split the base of the party, right because the MAS had been sort of an indigenous socialist movement, and it got split between the people who supported building this growth of the people who didn't. And so like even Moreles has riot police stormed the offices of one of the of one of the indigenous federations and like replaces them, like replaces their leadership with guys who are loyal to him, who will push this thing through, right. And you know, I mean the reason I'm talking about this is the kind of social movement stuff I studied in college, right, And it's like and now in the US, we were like kind of starting to get to the point where we have real social movements, right, and we've seen sort of like BLM, you know, we we sort of have something that is a career movement, and we're running into exactly the same thing where yeah, like if you you know, this is the thing you can talk about more stifically in the US, but it's like, yeah, like these orgs are on are are in in the middle of this sort of state capture process, right, and this has having really really dogshit effects on queer people because is when when these organizations are you know, become becomes sort of media arms or become sort of political arms of these party apparatuses. They're not representing you, They're representing the party and I and.
Speaker 3: I think that one one of the easiest places to kind of see the dynamic that you and I are talking about in current US politics is in the discourse around palace and any liberation.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you try to talk with anybody about palace and any liberation, you get beset upon on all sides by people saying, well, do you want Trump to win? You think Trump's gonna be better? This like electoral project takes precedence over you know, politics guided by core values so quickly and so overwhelmingly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean, and it's it's accelerated to a point. I mean, this is something I remember in it during the Trump years, we would we would joke about this about sort of the spinelessness of liberalism, Like it used to be a joke that like if the democratic president did a genocide, people would go, oh, well, you still have to support them because the other tup and now it's literally happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, I mean well, so I actually started working at Nationals. I took the drop at transfer A Law Center right after Trump took office, and so my, you know, it was very easy for me to especially as someone who you know, had never worked at large avoccine nonprofits before, because go figure, there's no money in doing transwork in the South that was scrappy and under resource as fuck. I got to delude myself, I think, because you know, Trump is such a uniquely dangerous force that a lot of people alongside me and the movement were had the same shared the values with me, because I could see them being equally strident and vocal on kind of all the bad things that were happening. And then you know, it's almost it's a tire joke at this point, but you know, Biden took over and the kids were still in cages and everybody else shut up, and I looked around and I'm like, wait, I'm.
Speaker 2: Still I still okay, Yeah, the hell or all go Like I want to yell about that for a second, because like so I kind of like this, this was like my sort of well, I mean, I guess my technical origin story. There's a slight longer thing this, but like my me being a person that any would listen to as a product of being involved in occupy Ice and like you know, going out and finding like you know, I mean, the sort of horror of that, like you can fucking hear people yelling from the inside of these buildings that they're being fucking held in. And now, you know, Biden like, well, we'll do a longer thing about this at some point, but like Biden is you know that that fucking bill that they were trying to pass like absolutely unbelievably fascist one saying that the president has the right to close the border. She's trying to just fucking do it anyways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and they're still doing concpts about it making them they think it makes them look good.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's like it's they're they're they're doing just pure evil. Like again, like literally, without like James and his friends, there would be pile like there's still are corpses floating up in the fucking rivers on the border, but there would be fucking like there would be stacked like mounds of corpses of people who fucking starved or died, Like if literally James and his friends weren't down there on the border right now, that and you know, and yeah, likes this is the thing you're talking about. It's like, I remember all these people in the streets for this. I was like, I was there, I was fucking helping to organize this stuff. And then like you watch them walk away. Yeah, it's terrible.
Speaker 3: And I want to make clearer that you know, you're talking about kind of the pressure that a party in power can can apply and the way in which these organizations can be captured, especially just due to how nonprofit funding is a whole cluster fucking and how it works here in the US. But I so, I actually by a White House staffer called my executive director within an hour of my boss forwarding the White House an analysis of mine that I'd written for a state without reading it herself at all. And in this analysis I included a dismal assessment of the likelihood that the federal government would use its power to prevent implementation that saw this was a this was a healthcare band, that a novel healthcare band that the estate wanted to quit turn around one and so my boss direct boss forwarded it to the White House, who had asked for analysis on it without reading it at all. And within an hour of my boss forwarding it to the White House, the White House had called our executive director to complain about me and I got written up for it. That is the fastest turnaround on anything trans that anybody has gotten out of this White House. And it was it was getting me, me disciplined for in a in an analysis that was not for them not being super impressed with their with their trans policy. And I and I have heard I have you know a lot of colleagues in the movement, the folks I trust completely on trans policy. And I know for a fact that I am not the only person that has had a situation like that occur. And so there they are applying pressure and even in the most direct ways to you know, the advocacy organizations. So it it, it is happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the thing I wanted to close on was talking about a bit about like the consequences of this, because what happens when this this is you know, this is part of going back to me talking about Bolivia, Like this is part of how even Moralees got overthrown in the coup, was that because the social movements, like most of the like a lot of these social movements have been sort of weakened to the point where they know they no longer had you know, that they'd become policy organs at the state and not actual like fighting movements that could like effectively resist. You know that that that could do a thing like for example, like you know, if you look at the the the the original coup against Hugo Chavez, right, like, the social movements were so strong that even though the army literally did a coup, they got fucking ran out by like several million uh Venezuelans taking to the streets and just like overturning the coup, right and that I I mean that happens later like in like that there was you know, there there was there was a second round of barricades that went up that got basically no press attention in twenty twenty. You know that there's a whole comp I'll talk about that one day. And how hilariously after getting bailed out, even Rallies pulled his people off the barricades because they didn't actually want to overthrow the government. They just wanted an election. Obviously, well, people off to keep the government intact long enough. He's done this in many This is the second time he's done this, by the way, this happened in the water in the.
Speaker 4: Water Wars in twenty and six.
Speaker 2: But uh, you know, but but like in the initial period of the coup, part of the reason this this was able to happen again was because the capacity of these groups to like overturn something like this had been so new, or that they were able to sort of be defeated in the streets. And you know, we are we are watching our own version of this where, yeah, like I wanted to sort of talk to you about what's been happening the fucking hell escape that's been happening in Louisiana, as you know, partially because of the sort of republican's fascist turn, but also because the resistance to them has been neutered by the fact that they're you know, they have to like defend this Biden policy shit.
Speaker 3: Right, And yeah, so one important point to make about the federal the need for federal protections is that you know, I live in Louisiana, federal protections are all I'm ever going to have, right, And so if the federal protections aren't there, and if there's not a federal government willing to enforce them, I'm I'm in big trouble. Like I would bet every single dollar I have, which is not many, that my medicaid will not will not cover my hormones by the end of the year. Right, And so what I what I think And I've highlighted kind of before when it was very clear that Jeff Landry was going to become governor after John Bell and actually did drug policy for John Bell for a while, and a lot of trans people were kind of quietly in his administration. I think that my friend Tucker, aside from Rachel Levine, was probably the highest ranked state executive branch transperson in history as deputy Press secretary for a while. Well yeah, I'm not sure, but yeah, trans people busted asks to get John Bell elected. And so we had held off a lot of this stuff for a long time, not just through having a nominally democratic governor, but through the organizing in the South that that happens on no resources whatsoever is some of the most broad based and inspiring kind of coalitional organizing that I've ever seen, and I've done work all around the country, and the way that people are able to organize kind of cross issue here is phenomenal. But we are all Jerry manderd to shit. We get no money, attention resources from national groups off in the media, and especially here in Louisiana and in much of the South, like we are not an attractive place for impact litigation because in the Fifth Circuit and all our state courts are shit, and so we really kind of are on our own here in a all of a sudden Republican super majority legislature with an activist fascist governor and ag so Jeff Jeff Blandery is very much in the model of the disantis or an abbot in terms of what he is hoping to do in Louisiana and what he's hoping to get out of it in terms of his own personal profile and ambitions. And there's so much we could talk about in terms of what's going on here, but I want to highlight specifically s B two seventy six, which is the bill you may have seen headlines about. It's the bill that adds Mith pristone and muspristalled to the State Schedule for Controlled Substances Act.
Speaker 2: And can you can you explain what that what that actually means for people who.
Speaker 3: Do Yeah, so MYTH and MISO are used for a lot of a lot of healthcare in terms of, for example, miscarriage management inducing labor in a hospital, but they can also be used for self managed medication abortion. And so this has not been done anywhere else in the in the country where the leading the charge here, No other state has ever added drugs like this to their controlled substances long and and so what that means is that those drugs are now going to be going through the Prescription Monitoring Program the PMP, which has a lot more controls and surveillance than non controlled substances. Right, So the Board of Medicine, the Board Pharmacy, and I'm trying, I'm trying to do a survey now to figure out which state agency specifically have like automatic inherent access to that PMP database. But it makes it a lot more traceable and trackable, which is which is really scary for anybody trying to access reproductive and abortion healthcare in a place like Louisiana. And then the other thing it does is it raises the stakes phenomenally for the people doing the kind of and I'm going to speak, I'm going to try to speak very carefully, or the people doing the kind of direct practical support work to work with underserved populations to make sure that they can access healthcare services that they need. Right, And it is just a it is a fact of life that you know, just like in the harm direction movement, there are a lot of people on the ground busting ass to get people what they need. And you know, for a lot of times for abortion funds, that's organizing money and transportation and hotels to get people out of state. Right since the Florida abortion van, we can't send people there anymore. We have to send people to Illinois, which is more expensive and further way. And it's those people who are at risk, the people doing the work like the backbone of the on the ground grassroots practical support mutual aid work, that are risking. I think it's you know, five to ten years per pill if they are you know, providing them to someone else. It's it's terrifying, and there's no we don't know what we're going to do about it. Yeah, I'm gonna call last night kind of like, what are we going to do about this? We don't know because it's it's scary, and then jumping back to kind of the problem with how not problem nonprofit and advocacy funding works in this country, there are a lot of restrictions that come that are you know, that organizations who are funded that way have to live with, Like especially I'll speak to the harm reduction world. For example, you'll get a grant at your syringe exchange and they're like, here's ten thousand dollars, but you can't spend any of it on needles, and you're like, that's my biggest expense, That's what I was going to you know, And so it's the same kind of thing. The more that this kind of work gets criminalized and pushed to the edge, the fewer resourced organizations are able to work on it, have the money that we're going it, but be just there legal teams. The chilling effects of this stuff are massive, and so it just falls more and more on the backs of kind of the grassroots folks who have always been making this happen for community to the extent that they can under the harshest of circumstances, and you know, it's people like that are who are going to have to make some really tough decisions going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, like the.
Speaker 4: It's never.
Speaker 2: There's never been a good or safe time to do stuff like this. But you know, as it gets increasingly dangerous, and as you know, you get the sort of downstream effects of both the sort of legal like but both the sort of legal danger and the sort of like constricting of movement space by the sort of question of these engios, things just get more and more dangerous in a time where the people who need to be dangerous is us because otherwise we are going to die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, scary time, but yeah, you know, we keep us fucking safe and yeah, always have and always will. And it's going to be rough what we're heading into. But you know, I again, the organizing in the South is I've never seen anything that's made me so proud to be an organizer and an activist as the work that I see in the South. And so if there's anybody who can lead the way on how to respond to these things and how to take care of each other, you know, it's it's our people. It's these people who've been doing it forever.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and I think on that note, if people want to find you and the people you've been working with in the orgs that you're sort of working with, now where where where can they find that on the Internet or I guess other places too. Are there other things that are not the Internet at.
Speaker 3: This point, I'm not, I really don't. Yeah, so you can find me on Twitter. I'm Gay Narcan on Twitter. That's that's me. And then if you are interested in supporting kind of the work that my collective is doing, the probably best place to go for that right now is our first launched project called trans Income Project. It's trans Income Project dot org. And what that is is an organization that is solely dedicated to doing direct cash transfers to transsex workers in Louisiana. We just had some of our first listening sessions with folks and yeah, this is gonna be so kick ass.
Speaker 4: So yeah, go go.
Speaker 3: There for that direct project. And then I would also encourage folks to take a look at Louisiana Transadvocates. I used to be president there. It's the state Transavacy organization. We're actually the state in the South that has had the longest consistent trans presence at the Capitol through Louisiana Transadvocates, and we have no fucking money, so feel free to so maybe toss something over there too if.
Speaker 1: You get tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say this, given how fucking zero dollars every time transperson has, like this is what are the places where your individual dollar will go the furthest because you're like, you're your ten dollars is like a three hundred percent increase I like the total funding of these works. All right, Well, thank you so much for coming on and talking.
Speaker 3: About this, and thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess my final final final message to listeners go fuck him up. You can do you could do it too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that I agree completely. Coastline.
Speaker 11: Hi everyone, it's me James, and I just wanted to read you this today. I'm going to put it in our episode this week because it's a cause, it's important to us, and so we thought it would be something that might be important to you too as well. On the tenth of June twenty twenty four, Leonard Peltier, the name rolled member of the Turtle Band of Chippewa of Lakota and Ojibwei Ancestry and the longest serving political prisoner in the United States will be appearing before the US Parole Commission for the first time since two thousand, thousand and nine. He faces staunch opposition from the FBI and other law enforcement agencies due to having allegedly killed two FBI agents in a firefight on the twenty sixth of June nineteen seventy five, after the agents appeared on reservation land to execute a pretextural warrant. The initial firefight occurred during the quote reign of terror on Pine Ridge in the wake of the occupation of Wounded Knee, a time of extreme violence when federal law enforcement installed a puppet tribal chair and was arming vigilantes who targeted Indigenous traditionalists every since leading up to these events, as well as subsequent investigation and mister Peltier's tradition, trial, conviction, and sentencing were characterized by gross misconduct on a part of law enforcement, the prosecution, and the courts. Mister Peltier's co defendants were separately tried and acquitted on grounds of self defense. Mister Peltier was railroaded, and his case is tainted by discrimination at every level, ranging from the withholding of exculpatory evidence, to the torture and coercion of extradition and trial witnesses, and from the refusal of the judge to dismiss and vowedly racist Dura, to the apologetic gymnastics of the courts affirming his convictions in the face of meritorious legal challenges and admitted evidence about rageous government misdeeds. Mister Peltier has been in prison for more than forty eight years and he's almost eighty years old. He suffers from chronic and potentially lethal conditions for which he receives insufficient and substandard medical care. If you want to take action to hashtag free Leonard Peltier, you can call the US Parole Commission at two zero two three four six seven zero zero zero, And if you'd like to find more information on how to support, you can.
Speaker 4: Go to this url.
Speaker 11: It's http colon slash slash n d NC dot c c slash free Leonard Peltier. That's free l e O N A R D P E l t I E R. Or you can follow n d N Collective on social media for more ways to support him. More information on Leonard Peltier, listen to Margaret's podcast on the Lakota Nation. A read in the Spirit of the Crazy Horse by Peter Mathewson. Hi, everyone, welcome to It could happen here podcasts about things falling apart and people putting them back together. Today we're talking about a little of both of those things. I'm joined by Rose, who's a migration activist in the Netherlands, and Mick, who has studied migration. We're going to talk about the EU's border today, and we're going to talk about I think a lot of people, especially the bulk of our listeners in the United States, won't be aware perhaps of how incredibly cruel and fatal the EU's border is, what it does to people, how it does it, where it does it. So we're going to talk about that today. It's very exciting. There's even more wall than we have in the United States, so I'm looking forward to that. And so HI, Welcome to the show. Both of you.
Speaker 5: Hi, Thanks, Hi, Thanks for having us.
Speaker 11: Thanks for being here. The way we wanted to structure this was Mick has like an excellent presentation for We're going to structure this over two episodes. First, we want to talk about the state of things and then we want to talk about activism and ways that people can meaningfully make a difference in this situation. So, Mick, yeah, if you'd like to take it away with you with your script here, Rose and I will interject whenever we feel like it.
Speaker 5: Okay, fair enough, let's go.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 5: The EU border crisis is largely crisis of the Mediterranean to see that separates Europe from Africa, and it is arguably one of the most deadly borders in the world, if not the most deadly border. According to several activists organizations such as the United Against Refugee Devs and Abolish Frontex, which is the EU border agency in charge of protecting the border, over fifty two thousand people have died at this border as of June twenty twenty three. This number is almost certainly higher to a number of factors, one of which is that a significant amount of bodies are never recovered, which makes it very hard to verify whether or not someone has died or is lost somewhere in the migration routs. Migration patterns are very hard to keep track of. People travel hundreds of kilometers to simply get to a point where they can get access to boats, or other means of being transported across the sea. Yeah, I have a picture here that I would like to share with you. Listeners can find it in the notes and sources.
Speaker 11: Maybe we'll try and describe it, just so you know, to ones driving or something they can I guess, yeah, go ahead, give give me a best shot.
Speaker 5: Okay. It's a map of continental Europe with adjacent to it Africa and Eurasia. And it's a bunch of arrows coalescing on to certain points that grow bigger and bigger. And these represent the migration routes and the number of people that take a particular path. As you can see, the thicker line, the thicker the line, the more people it represents. The thinner lines come from the Middle East and further to the east. In terms of obstacles and danger, I think it's safe to say that crossing Iraq or Sybia is not without risk.
Speaker 11: Yeah. Yeah, I've done that. It's yeah, and I've done it in cause and with permission, and it's already pretty high risk. It's interesting this map is it is a twenty seventeen map. Am I seeing that right?
Speaker 5: Yes, it's from the Frontex's quarterly reports too. Which covers April till June twenty seventeen.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so maybe this is after the peak of people leaving that Iraq and Syria area they like the yeah, after Mayhem, Yes, yeah, exactly. Not not that there are not still significant numbers. I mean I speak to people in Syria most weeks who are trying to leave Syria. It's become harder and harder due in part to the EU making its borders harder and harder and more and more deadly to cross, and due to a number of other reasons. But yeah, I think those those lines would have been fatter if we'd gone back, like, you know, three or four years. Yeah, I mean people in Europe will probably have been familiar with this. I mean, of course, says the When was the photo taken of the the young child who passed away cross That was Alida?
Speaker 7: I think that was in the summer of.
Speaker 5: Bottom Yeah, Alan Curdi, Yeah, the bois name was Allen Curdie. I think a brother of his ground as well.
Speaker 11: Yeah, people can look that up if they want to. I'll try not to include it. It's quite a horrible thing to have to witness.
Speaker 5: No, it's not a nice photo to see ironically, it was one of the few moments where like European people could muster some sympathy for refugees. But yeah, that wins at some point. Yeah, it's always the case.
Speaker 11: Like I don't know, I am talking about this before speak about again, but like the other day, I was out dropping water and we came across a little three year old girl and her mother from Guinea, and they the young girl was very hypothermic. Like at first we didn't notice because we're like, oh, this girl is very quiet, and then we're like, go, okay, this girl is very very quiet, and perhaps, you know, we should be concerned, and like, I don't know how, and no one in their right mind would be like, yeah, this is normal and good and I'm really glad that this child is in a place where, you know, if left for several more hours, she might die. And everyone in that situation, to include people who were just driving by, were like, oh fuck, we need to help. But sadly, when we abstract it to numbers, which is the way it's always reported on, right, it's not stories, it's not people, it's not little children, it's fifty something thousand people. You know, it's hard to imagine fifty something thousand people dying. It's easier to feel something for one little boy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And it's easier to feel something for a child than for a man. It's easier to feel something for a woman than men. And also even the death of Alanchourti despite all the yeah, outraged provoked. It was also used as a to make the Turkey Deal, which was intended to stop people crossing by boat from Turkey to Greece, even though that was actually one of the safest migration routs we had at the time, and it closed up and people started to move to Libya and instead of three kilometers of sea, that meant people had to cross one hundred or more kilometers of sea, which was obviously way more.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and just so do you need to Libya? And that time in Libya's where we'll find out later, is far from risk free.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Libya is a very different place than Turkey.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Yeah, significantly worse to be than Turkey. So to get back on track, as you can also see from the picture of a vast majority of those migration routes across the Sahara desert, people who die in the desert or through other dangers on their journey do not make it to the Mediterranean and therefore tend to not end up in the statistics of people dying there. But I would still argue that it is undeniable that those people in fact died due to the migration policies that the EU puts in place and enforces. Definitely, it's just outside of our purview.
Speaker 7: The United list again of refugee deaths, it's taking into account anyone whose death can be attributed to the borders. So they do also include people dying in the desert, but there is much less news about it, So the figures of frontecs and of IOM usually do not include those. But the number you just mentioned that with fifty two thousand, it also includes people who meet at suicide and detention centers or who died of medical neglecting camps. But it also includes people who died further from the European border, but still on borders are that are controlled or are influenced by European policies.
Speaker 11: Yeah, in the US like to give a sort of comparison example that the statistics we have that come from border patrol, those are the remains that are found, which is a subset of the remains that exist in it, and it doesn't take into account people who died crossing Mexico Cree, people who died as Farsus as a Darian gap right, which is very dangerous and it's becoming more so as more traffic goes across it. People who died taking boats around the Darien Gap right, or for whatever reason, didn't make it. So we too have this kind of attempt to I guess when we get government statistics, we have to remember that they come from a government perspective and they will try and minimize the obvious cruelty that's happening.
Speaker 5: I think that's a characteristic of almost every government that keep the numbers low and don't really engage with the actual problems that are at hand. So before we go into more specific territories, there are a few things that should be made clear. The EU does not follow their own rules about migration. Hopefully at the end of this the listeners will also accept that the humanitarian and migration crises is much more a product of border policies rather than the policies being a consequence of migration. To first illustrate this, here is a quote from Government l the English version of the Dutch government websites asylum or a turn. All refugees entering the EU may apply for asylum. They must do this in the country where they enter the EU. Asylum seekers who do not require protection must return to their country of origin or to a save a third country. The EU respects the human rights of refugees, both when dealing with their applications and with regard to return. So I want you all to keep this in mind when we continue, because this phrasing ignores other policies that make it much harder for migrants and refugees to even enter the EU or to be able to apply for asylum. So, and before we dive deeper into the atrocities that the EU enables, I think it's important to first briefly explain how the border system works and the history behind it. Europe is no stranger to migration and migrants, and it is something that has been happening in waves over the past three to four decades. In the early nineties, there were multiple waves of migrants from Albania to other European countries. The main cause of this was the isolationist policies that were enforced by the communist regime that was in charge there, the unrest that followed at the end of the regime, and the crisis of Kosovo. For those unaware, Kosovo had a war with Serbia for independence and Kosovari people are largely ethnic Albanians with the same language, and because of this, it was easier for Albanians to merge with the Kosovari refugees and use that to migrate further and easier into Europe. Other waves are caused by other geopolitical events, such as the Jasmine Revolution in Tunisia, which I think Mia and Roberts covered in their episode on self immolation. Yeah, okay, and much more down to everyone, the wars in Syria and Libya.
Speaker 11: My interest in the border has always run parallel to my interesting conflict in reporting on conflict, and like it's just become such a recurrent experience to either learn about conflicts at the border here because someone is telling me about them, or learn about often like repression of ethnic or national or religious minorities because someone here tells me about them, or to go somewhere, you know, I was in Syria in October, was in Iraq and then return and see people from there at our border, and like as people will be aware the asylum system and it will cover it later. The asylum system allows people who are very in danger of persecution for various categories to apply for asylum. It's not functioning. It's not functioning in the EU, it's not functioning in the US. Like I've seen that persecution with my own eyes and the consequences of it, and I've seen people try and get away from it. Every single time I'm in somewhere like that, people will ask me for help, and it is fucking heartbreaking to be like, yeah, the country that you see flying the F sixteens or the F thirty fives over your head, the planes that cost more than this entire town makes in a year. No, we can't have a functioning, fucking immigration system. Like in the case of the US, it's this app which doesn't work and you can only use it north of Mexico City, and it's this broken system leads to people they're not like getting in a boat across the Mediterranean, crossing the Daryan Gap, walking across the mountains of northern Mexico because they want to have like a better iPhone. They're doing it because whatever the alternative is seems worse, and it's worth. People are fully aware that they're risking their lives on these journeys. It's you know, it's not that they live without access to news and the internet. They know about the death in the Mediterranean, they know about the Daryant Gap when I talk to migrants who haven't crossed the gap, like I was talking to group of Columbian migrants two or three days ago, and they were coming in to the US through It's in an area east of hookumber which is very rugged and very mountainous, and they were coming into an open air attention site where border patrol holds them. And I was talking to them, I say, how many if you walked, how many if you flew. Most of them flew and then were able to work forward. The ones who walked. Everyone was like, oh shit, that's horrible, Like you must have seen terrible things. Like they're very aware of how dangerous it's journeys are. The reason that they're taking them is because it seems like staying at home would be more dangerous.
Speaker 7: Yeah, although I would like to add that it's not every migrant is a real refugee, and not every migrant has to be a real refugee. Yes, at least as the definition was established in the fifties by a bunch of pretentious guys who kind of decided this is a good reason to migrate and all other reasons are not. At first, yeah, at first I worked in Greece and that was mainly with people of like what are considered like objectively real or good refugees, people from Afghanistan and Iraq and Syria, whereas when I was working in Bosnia it was mainly people from Morocco, Algeria and Pakistan. And a lack of opportunity can be a very good reason to move. I think most white people who moved to America did so because of that.
Speaker 8: Not because they were imminently bombed in their home countries, but because they wanted to make something out of their lives and they didn't have opportunities at home. And I think this whole concept of refugee is meant to distinguish between good and bad reasons to move, and good and bad people migrants.
Speaker 12: In the end, people can do really dangerous things for giving their children a better life and if their children are not immediate danger, and the other thing I would like to stress is that I think the migration regime that we see today is very tightly connected to colonization and decolonization. For example, specifically in the Midlands, Surnam was a Dutch colony, and one of the reasons why the Dutch government agreed with decolonization was because the Dutch society started to get worried about all the black people showing up. So and the same something similar happened with the independence word that.
Speaker 13: Algeria fought against France. France preferred to give them independence rather than give them equal rights and access to the French territory. So lifting like creating those barriers and keeping people in the Global South after these.
Speaker 7: Countries became independent is very tightly connected with decolonization. But of course, especially with new colonization and new ways of controlling people in the Global South and exploiting them.
Speaker 11: Yeah, if we look at like the US context, the United States government has managed to engineer this sort of compromise where capital travels freely across the Americas and people don't, so it's possible for them to exploit lower wage labor. For US companies to exploit low wage labor Mexico and other countries to the South, but not for those people to come and seek a better way to better way of living in the country that is consuming the products of their labor and so like, this is obviously not new to people, right, this is a thing that's Appatista highlighted in nineteen ninety four and it's been the case for thirty years. But yeah, we have in the US because the United States colonialism like kind of a in a somewhat less overt way, although often in a pretty overt way. It's facilitated undemocratic regimes and a low quality of life for people all across specifically the Americas, but also the rest of the world, and it's now seeking to prevent those people from coming here after it destabilized to their countries, right or in the case of climate change, again, like the consumption habits of certain countries have had an impact on people all around the world, to include people in more diaeconomic circumstances. And it shouldn't be any less. We shouldn't have any less empathy or solidarity with those people because no one's bombing them and they just want a chance to their kids to do the same shit. Like I moved to America and I was twenty one, because they want many jobs for me at home.
Speaker 7: Like there's something very arrogant about thinking that you can decide whether someone else has a right to exist totally, And I think that's kind of what migration policies are.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and as you pointed out, they were established after the after the Second World War with a very narrow set of categories. Don't include not only do not include climate change, but also like generalized violence, right, the generalized veru.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Actually fleeing from a war is not is not making you a real refugee according to international law.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, which is something people don't know.
Speaker 7: So like an average sharing refugee is actually legally not a.
Speaker 11: Refugee, right. Yeah, they are flying in.
Speaker 7: Discriminate violence, but not like they don't have like political they don't have a right to political asylum.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Or people in Ecuador will will talk to talk to people from Ecuador a lot, you know, and they'll be like, well, you've seen men they took over the TA TV station, So there's some gangs to go over a TV station there recently, and it's kind of an armed takeover. And then like, as you can see, would you want your child growing up there, you know, if you had children, and of course it's a very compelling argument, and if I was in their position with young children. Want guy I met the other day his son needed medical care that he couldn't obtain in his country. You know, like that's a perfectly valid reason for coming here. But none of those things count for asylum. So those people are i'd a lumped into quote unquote economic migrants, which is still you know, like people have a right to a living wage and to be able to pay for their family, to have the things that they need to survive and thrive. But you're right, the asylum system is very narrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we should also not forget that, even if we're excluding war, you can't really separate migration from the things the West has done in those other countries to maintain that neo colonial relationship, and you know, those keep those people dependent on whatever whims there are in the West, and whether that's for resources, whether that's for because there were like the communist regimes there that we weren't happy with. Like, you can't separate that. You can separate the conditions that are happening there right now to things that have been decided in the West years prior.
Speaker 11: Yeah, very true. All right, we're back. Have you enjoyed those adverts for products and services following our discussion on how capitalism has made life unliverable in certain parts of the world, So Mick kil let's pick up with you explaining this to see border to.
Speaker 5: Us Well, I found a very nice scholarly article that breaks down how the EU borders work and makes a very clear distinction between the different layers that protect fortress Europe. These layers will be called the paper border, which largely consists of visa policies and similar bureaucracy that regulates movement to the EU and within it. Then we have the iron border, which is exactly what you imagine it. To me, it's the physical structures and forms of control that we put up to keep people out. And then we have the post border, and that's about the reception of migrants, migrant shelters and similar constructions that keep migrants and refugees ostracized and isolated even after being allowed access into the EU and having started a asylum process. For those stories, we should turn to Rows when we get there, because she is much more on the ground experience than I have with this, so we'll start with the paper border. During the mid eighties, the e WHO started to propose and enact a series of treaties and policies that in effect strengthened the external borders and loosened the borders within Europe. I think no one is particularly interested in this series of treaties, so I will name the only one is the Shangan Treaty. This treaty essentially unites the external borders under EU command rather than as a task for individual states. In practice, this also means that EU citizens who have a proper documentation can move freely between countries. Are who have signed the Shangan Treaty for holidays or work os, You and I we could move to Germany tomorrow if we wanted to, and I have little to know obstacles in terms.
Speaker 7: Of documentary Economically independent though, like that is very crucial about EO. Your fraend of movement is conditional.
Speaker 11: On you making money, yeah, having enough money to support yourself, but you can move like This is very funny because it pissed off British people who are living in Spain right when they when Britain brexited, because they hadn't realized that they would impact them. They you know, like such as a god thought it was.
Speaker 7: Only the Polish that we yeah, like the undesirable migrants. But yes, yes, assumed themselves to be desirable.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well yeah, I don't think we use the word expat right like Britain would use the word expact to describe a migrant from Britain to Spain, like it's yeah, it's really culou. I mean I've lived in France, in Spain, of fifd in Belgium and I was, I guess, somewhat economically independent, made twelve thousand years a year as a bike racer, but that was you know, I could do that. It was very easy for me.
Speaker 5: But it is.
Speaker 7: I do think it's important because I think it's one of those post border things that what we see for some point analysis that most homeless people here are not the undocumented migrants, they are not the refugees or Dutch people, but they're EU migrants. So people have low paying jobs, break their legs, get kicked out of their houses and their jobs, and are not welcoming the homeless shelters because in Endlands says well, you are not economically independent therefore, so this is also part of the migration regime, and this is also part of keeping migrants exploitable. Even if you use citizens have the right to work, they don't. They're only allowed to work. We only want them if they bring in economic profits. We don't want them when they're sick or.
Speaker 2: In need or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then mostly we want them for jobs that we feel too good to actually do. When I was younger, I used to work in a greenhouse, and there's an immense amount of people from like Poland or other Eastern European countries coming there because Dutch people tend not to want to work in a greenhouse. It's one of those things.
Speaker 11: It's an extension of that like a colonial perspective. Right, these are jobs for.
Speaker 5: Us exactly because you get your hands dirty and we can't have that here. To put the whole thing about the paper border into less academic term, the EU started to act like a nation state and started to make sharp distinctions between native and non native European citizens. I think it's worth pointing out that what counts as EU is also a supposed European identity. It's very closely tied to geographical location and therefore also implicitly linked to Christianity. Countries that are largely non Christian but connected to Europe tend to be excluded. Turkey is partially in Europe but not part of the EU, and Bosnia Herzegovina, which is a majority Muslim country, is also excluded from that. But much like Turkey is being tempted with the whole you can join if you do this and that, but we're not really committing to that. That, however, is a story for another time. Maybe the point that I want to make here is that the visa program for Europe is based on geographical discrimination. Countries outside the geography of Europe are blacklisted and cannot gain access to the papers that they need to legally enter the EU. This bureaucracy prohibits people from entering the EU before fences or border guards have even entered the equation, hence the paper border, since entering or crossing without a paper visa is nah impossible.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would like to add, of course, like it is geographical discrimination, but of course indirectly it is discrimination based on class and race. So it is yea color but not the super rich people of color. And it is yeah, it is. It is formerly colonized countries that are largely that even have an obligation to get so people from the US can travel visa free, same for people from Australia. So this is like, it is very ironic. I find that it's in Europe it's considered legal to discriminate based on nationality, even though it is very clearly a very smart way to discriminate actually people based on the color of their skin and their economic status.
Speaker 5: Exactly what you said, Rose Like all the countries that are backlisted are like from the the global South, so to speak, almost all of them. But I talked to about this with a professor of mine a while back, and I think if you can put down like thirty thousand euros, then you can get a visa even if you're from those countries.
Speaker 7: Exactly. So the super rich, actually, the super rich have freedom of movements. Yeah, but the it is always the poor migrants whose movement is problematic.
Speaker 11: And whose movement is Yeah. It Britain and in the US there's a lot of discourse about like open borders. I've noticed like, oh, the borders open, right, Like the border has always been open to people like me. I live in the United States, right, I am a US citizen. Now I'm also a British citizen. I've lived and worked in Spain. I've lived and worked in France. I've lived and worked in Belgium. I can go and I can get a visa to Iraq. I can get a visa to anywhere I want. The borders have always been open to white people who have financial means. What they're saying when they're saying open borders is implicitly borders open to people who are not white, not wealthy, perhaps not Christian. And what one can infer from that is a great deal of bigotry and a great deal of like unease about living, you know, alongside people who you feel like are not like the same quote unquote as you, which is particularly runic in the United States, right in a country which is a self a settler colony.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's all very very uplifting stuff. I do want to end this particular bit with the quote from that article because I think it says it much more fancy than I ever could. Rather than guards with guns, this first border, if the EU is watched over by bureaucrats armed with paper and entrenched in faraway embassies, through this political technology, all citizens of a large group of nations bar to view are blacklisted. This means, in practice that most of the citizens of these blacklisted countries cannot acquire the visas they required to legally travel to the EU. The implication is that the paper border of the EU remotely and invisibly cages people in the inequitable or tree of birth end quote. I think it's very much worth highlighting that if you're as we've established, unless you're like wealthy or white, you cannot legally enter the EU. And even though our politicians keep saying no, no, we're just against the illegals, now, there is for a lot of people, there simply is no way to enter legally. It's impossible, And it's a large part of the conversation that we conveniently ignore because it doesn't fit like the political narratives that people want to spread.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and of course, most retched deconventions allow for people to enter between ports of entry in whichever way they can to claim asylum, Like one does not have to enter in a certain way to claim asylum, despite what the discourse might suggest.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I think this border is like probably the most overlooked because it doesn't create any dramatic pictures, right, it is indeed, it's just people sitting in an office and looking at papers and deciding no. But these are like in Dutch. Yeah, these are people working at the immigration office. And these are the people who then decide that's the only option for people is to go on a boat. So these these are policies and the people who are executing them are super crucial in enforcing people onto dangerous.
Speaker 5: Routes exactly because there is no way to do it legally. Therefore, I have to set food on that soil and then you know, apply for asylum because the other route is like before I even tried, already closed off.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I really like that term, the inequitable a birth. We call it like support heads. Yeah, but it's one of the most insane or like most fundamentally unjust things that we see that we are living with and then we don't see or like that many people don't see. So just because we were born, like I was born in one of the richest countries of in the world. My parents had a Dutch fashboard. That's how I got a Dutch fastboard. I did literally nothing to get that. It is impossible for me to lose my Dutch passport. I commit, I can commit like the worst crimes, and they will not, you know, they will not lead me to lose my passport. Whereas other people who are born in countries where life expectancy is crazy low, or where there's no healthcare or no proper education or jobs, they too did absolutely nothing to be born there or to be assigned to that nationality. And so somehow this border and this passport is legitimizing the fact that some people just die and we're fine with that, and other people have insane privileges and opportunities, and the nationality is kind of a justification because if you really think about it, there is no reason why the minimum wage in Ethiopia should be lower than in the Netlands, Like there really isn't. The only reason is that they have a different nationality, and somehow that makes it normal. And if it's just yeah, it's just this injustice. Its structures that are so invisible and that are not questioned or talked about enough. So I'm glad we're talking about it today.
Speaker 11: But yeah, good. It's such a stark reality when you live on the border, like I live on the US Mexico border a like what on earth? Like, you know, the justification for being like, oh, yeah, this person should earn less money and they can't come here, but you can go down there and buy stuff at the same price they can. That's fine, Like it's totally fine. Yeah, and we're going to build a giant fuck off wall. And it's just such when I spent a lot of time in the more remote parts of the US border, and for most of the time that border country to what you might have seen on the news is a one meter high cattle fence with a single strand a bar wire, and it's so obviously just a light like very often cattle will cross the border and like that will have to be herded back, right, like the it's just a notional line in the sand. When they built the border wall, it really fucked up the migration habits of jaguar bears.
Speaker 4: Dea.
Speaker 11: I've seen animals unable to comprehend, Like, but no, that's where I go and get my water, right, Like, it's such an arbitrary distinction that it results in so much cruelty.
Speaker 7: But we do build walls better than you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's a good segue to the European iron boarder.
Speaker 7: One thing we are more cruel at than the Americans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, finally something we can beat the American sets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm mad.
Speaker 11: We're working on it, believe me.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, not too hard. We want we want to keep this trophy for a while.
Speaker 11: You know what else is competing to be the most cruel Mick, No, it's it's it's potentially the products and services support this show. All right, we're back. We hope you enjoyed those products and services. Hopefully it wasn't for like a border surveillance technology or you know, something similar walls.
Speaker 5: Okay, so the next part is the Iron Border. This is very similar to what people already think of, but somehow worse. The Iron border is a collection of fences, walls, barbed and razor wire, or even fortified enclaves such as Suta and Melilla in Spain. Sorry for butchering those names. It is both a deterrent and a performance like. It's meant to project security for people within the walls. It shows that EU uses an iron fist to protect Europeans from irregular or illegal immigrant migration. What is more important to highlight, it also makes for very good outrage media for right wing and fascist platforms. Refugees will continue to breach those fences, and the photographs and videos of it made for very good propaganda about how borders need to be strengthed. The fence borders of Europe have increased from three hundred kilometers in twenty fourteen to its shocking two thousand and forty eight kilometers in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's substantiary than the US we have. Of course, it's America, so it's miles. But the most generous estimate based on pre existing wall repairs Trump wall building is seven hundred and forty eight miles. That was actually I would say about seven hundred and fifty because I've seen construction happening since then, so that's what like eleven hundred kilometers. It's you know, we're just just over half of what the EU has.
Speaker 7: And I think for me, like when I when I was at the physical borders, like the border walls, I mean it feels like a military zone, like I was on the Hungarian border. There's drones, there is super heavily weaponed soldiers walking around, like helicopters flying around. It's a very intimidating feeling. But if you talk to the people crossing the fence, the fence is kind of a joke, like you can just bring Yeah, you can just go to a gardening shop and buy a stairs or like a ladder and just put it over the fence. You can buy a super simple scissor that you would use in the garden to cut your vegetables and you can cut the fence open with it. People were building tunnels, like of course it takes time to cross it, and it's so in that sense, it's a hindrance. But the entire promise that if a wall holl stop people is indeed, it's just a political game, and the politicians know that it's not true. It's just a way to show how tough they are and how rough they are. And at the same time, I think this is a good moment to instate on Palestine to the discussion. So most of the European borders are equipped with razor wire, and that is literally like knives wire, you know, like it is like it's razors.
Speaker 11: Its half razor blades.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and this is designed by the Israeli army and weapons industry, and the aim of this razor wire is to gut as deeply as possible into people's skin without causing pain, so people don't realize how realize how heavily wounded they are, in order to make them bleed as much as possible. This has been tested in Gaza, and Israeli army liked it, and now it's sold in Europe to sometimes stop the same people leaving fleeing Gaza trying to reach Europe. So the border in one hand is kind of useless, but at the same time, it is really built to be as cruel and as harmful as possible. And I know a lot of people with a lot of scars on their bodies just from those razor wires.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think if we want to draw that connection further, like Lbit Technologies has mass, multi tens of million dollar contracts for border surveillance where I live. Right, the same things that are surveiling people in Gaza are surveilling you if you go for a hike in East County, San Diego, they're also surveilling migrants.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 11: The raser ware that you mentioned is everywhere out here. Right. It doesn't work, it gets cut eventually, it gets blankets thrown over it, But in the meantime, it hurts people the wall itself, right, there's also walls between Itsrael and Palestine, between Kurdistan and Turkey. What they, at least these larger ones do is is they force people. The US Wall is also one that's entirely breachable. I've seen people climbing it. I've seen people climbing it this week. I've seen people go under it, I've seen people go through it, I've seen people go around it. But what it does tend to do is force people into the more remote areas where they didn't build wall, and those areas are where you're more likely to die. And every year that we've built more wall, we've seen more deaths. And as someone who engages in mutual aid, every year that they build more wall, we have to think about where will people go, how will they get there, what state will they be in, How can we make this journey less deadly, and that becomes harder and higher for us. You know, we did a water drop on Sunday. It took us five hours to hike a very small section of this trail that people hiked in order to surrender themselves, just as they would if they could come through important entry, but it's a lot more deadly.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I think that's kind of some sort of most migration policies or migration like obstacles to migration in Europe as well. They don't actually stop migrants, but they do hurt them, and they do push them into danger or actual.
Speaker 5: Deadly Yeah, because you're never going to stop it, but you can use like quote unquote deterrents in the holes that it will all slow down, but you're just going to get people hurt and killed.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that is like how incredibly cinecle the border is. I think that the main desurance is the people dying, and that this is part of the political game to disencourage vibrants.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then you can and then you can use other policies that we'll get to to present yourself as the good guy for wanting to make sure that people don't cross those walls or across the Mediterranean, and you can present yourself as the good guy trying to prevent those steps that your policies are causing.
Speaker 11: I think that's what we're going to end it for today. We plan for this to be a one part episode, but we really enjoyed talking and we had a learning comment, so this is going to be a two parter. Tomorrow we will be back to discuss the EU's external border and how it has non EU countries enforcing its border in ways that are very detrimental, damaging, and deadly to migrants. So I hope you look forward to that and we'll see you again tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 11: Everyone, it's me James, and I just wanted to read you this today. We're going to put it in our episode this week because it's a cause that's important to us, and so we thought it would be something that might be important to you too as well. On the tenth of June twenty twenty four, Lennard Peltier, an enrolled member of the Turtle Band of Chippewa of Lakota and Ajibwei ancestry and the longest serving political prisoner in the United States, will be appearing before the US Parole Commission for the first time since two thousand and nine. He faces staunch opposition from the FBI and other law enforcement agencies due to having allegedly killed two FBI agents in a firefight on the twenty sixth of June nineteen seventy five. After the agents appeared on reservation land to execute a pretextural warrant. The initial firefight occurred during the quote reign of terror on Pine Ridge in the wake of the occupation of Wounded Kney, a time of extreme violence when federal law enforcement installed a puppet tribal chair and was arming vigilantes who targeted Indigenous traditionalists. Everything leading up to these events, as well as subsequent investigation and mister Peltier's extradition, trial, conviction, and sentencing, were characterized by gross misconduct on the part of law enforcement, the prosecution, and the courts. Mister Peltier's co defendants were separately tried and acquitted on grounds of self defense. Mister Peltier was railroaded, and his case is tainted by discrimination at every level, ranging from the withholding of exculpatory evidence to the torture and coercion of extradition and trial witnesses, and from the refusal of the judge to dismiss and vowedly racist Dura to the apologetic gymnastics of the courts affirming his convictions in the face of meritorious legal challenges and admitted evidence of outrageous government misdeeds. Mister Peltier has been in prison for more than forty eight years and he's almost eighty years old. He suffers from chronic and potentially lethal conditions for which he receives insufficient and substandard medical care. If you want to take action to hashtag free Lennard Heltier, you can call the US Parole Commission at two zero two three four six seven zero zero zero, And if you'd like to find more information on how to support, you can go to this u r L. It's h t T P colon slash slash n D N C O dot c c slash free Leonard Peltier. That's f R e E L e O n A R d P e L t I E R or you can follow n d N collective on social media for more ways to support him. More information on Leonard Peltier, listen to Margaret's podcast on the Lakota Nation, a read in the Spirit of the Crazy Horse by Peter Mathewson. Hi, we're back, and just to remind people, if you haven't listened to the episode yesterday, you probably won't pick up what's going on today, So I suggest starting there as we commence on our second part of the discussion about the EUS border. Today we're going to discuss the EU's external border and what that means for migrants. We'll pick up with Mick and Rose and we'll start off more or less where we left off yesterday. Like you can map, and I'm not the first one to have made these maps, but you can look at humane borders in Arizona, and then you can look at EFF's map of fixed and mobile towers and you can see people. And again, this is something I'm more familiar with, and I'd like to be people dying in the shade of the surveillance towers, without help, without water, without the very minor things that it would take for them not to have died. And so yeah, this provides justification. It provides a massive outlet for the post War on Terror like military industrial complex to continue to make its money, and to continue to make its money through innocent people dying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was either a Polish Frontex or the Transnational Institute. I got some hands on some literature they were spreading, and there is a direct you can draw a direct line between like the end of the Cold War in the nineties, with military industrial complex having to fight new ways to sell their products to states. And that's also why the order keeps getting more and more militarized, because this is the one point where they can still sell a lot of things without their having to be a war.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's like a very serious lobby of companies who just want to make money out of making our borders deadly. And they're really successful.
Speaker 11: Actually yeah. I think they just want to make money and they don't care if they make up boarders deadly like they the end goal is always profit for them, right like, and everything else is consequent to that.
Speaker 5: Think of the stockholders, they have to live as well. What I personally find most troubling is this extension of the Iron border into non European countries. So the EU is making deals with countries in which for the in exchange for large sums of money that those countries are now containing or stopping migrants and refugees from ever leaving the Middle East Africa. Like Rose said earlier, the Turkey deal is essentially a political deal between the EU and Turkey for Turkey to hold a portion of Syrian refugees over within their border to stop them from coming into Europe. And I think we paid a few billion, more than a few billion probably for Turkey to do that. So the most prominent of these deals are, as i said, Turkey, but also Tunisia and Libya. We're essentially outsourcing the abuse and human rights violations to countries that are outside the scope of our media, who have regimes that we would declare dictatorships and autocracies. In the case of Libya, it's even like rebels and warlords being funded with EU taxpayer money. Today, the eupack with Libya has given rise to a full fledged slave market run by cold blooded human traffickers who, incentivized by the EU's crackdown on irregular migration and the resulting business downturn of would be profitable passengers, are now auctioning economic migrants and refugees as slaves. Yeah, we're just doing slavery with extra steps now. So to make it inescapably clear how bad the situation is, I'm now going to quote from an Amnesty International article from twenty twenty one. Three Police Shadra al Zawia Center is a facility facility which was pretty obviously run by a non affiliated militia and was recently integrated under the DCIM and designated for people in vulnerable situations at DCIM is an acronym for Libya's Directorate for Combat in Illegal Migration. It's essentially a department of their Interior Ministry. Former detainees from that facility said that guards raped women and some were cohoersed into sex in exchange for their release or for essentials such as clean water grace. A pseudonym said she was heavily beaten for refusing to comply with such a demand. I told the guard no. He used the gun to knock me back. He used a letter soldier's shoe to kick me from my waist. Two young women at the facility attempted to commit suicide as a result of such abuse. Three women also said that two babies detained with their mothers after an attempted sea crossing had died in early twenty twenty one. Their guards refused to transfer them to a hospital for a critical medical treatment and it's The International report documents similar patterns of human rights violations, including severe beatings, sexual violence, extortion, forced labor, and in human conditions across seven DCIM centers in Libya. In Abuisa Center in the city of al Zaya, DTNES reported being deprived of nutritious food to the point of starvation end.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Libya is is just on a completely different level. Like we have we have systematic torture on almost all border crossings by European border guards, but Libya just manages to do worse than that, just systematically enslave rate, murder, torture. And I think it's important to stress that, Like there's this Libyan Coast Guard. They're funded by the European Union, so the opinion Union will go out with drones support the boat of migrants. Previously, the European Union actually had rescue ships, but the European Union, if a boat is near another boat in distress, there's an obligation to rescue, and after the rescue, you have to bring the people to a safe court. So having a boat at sea meant that the European Border Agency Front Tax was obliged to rescue people at sea, and so they just thought, let's just do away with the boats and let's just have helicopters and drones, so we can still spot boats that are sinking, but we cannot help them, and instead.
Speaker 5: They are obligated to anymore.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean they're physically. Yeah, exactly. They they they managed to escape that responsibility under maritime law, and then they paid the Libyan Coast Guard to rescue rescue people quote unquote, Libya is so bad that weally migrants just jump in the water if they see a Libyan coast guard because people prefer to drown them to be taken back to Libya. The Libyan coast Guard takes the people on the boat, brings them back to Libyan mainland, and actually sells them to the militias running the detention centers. So the Libyan Coast Guard gets paid twice for stopping migrants, first by the European Union and secondly by the militias that will later sell them as slates or use them for slavery. And this is what we have been funding for years, and there have been extensive documentation about these human rights violations and the very direct link of the EU funding, and it just keeps going.
Speaker 5: I think it was a year or so back where I saw a video of someone, a woman on a dinghy who was just incredibly emotional. She was just exclaiming all the time like I'd rather die than go back to Libya, which.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's yeah, just literally what it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I would encourage that the listeners to just google something like Libya migrant detentions or something and look at the pictures because it's you might.
Speaker 7: Get like traumatized, but you will be more aware of the horrors in the world.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that they're not great pictures to look at, but thank God for you good sleep. Like, yeah, I think it's important to see those things because that is the reality that we in Europe often do not get to see, and this is the reality that has been created by our overlords. So what the EU is doing is to be very blunt, extending its own borders into sovereign territory of states outside of Europe to stop migrants from even entering the EU. Proponents of these policies will undoubtedly argue that this saves lives by preventing people from crossing the Mediterranean in overcrowded boats and ginghis personally, I would argue that people will continue to make that crossing if only to escape the EU funded hellholes that these regimes create in order to get that sweet, sweet EU funding. What is definitely very concerning is that despite criticisms from NGOs such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch Europe will likely continue these practices. Only last year did it sign a deal with Tunisia with the attention of using that as a third country, as they call it, to prevent sea crossings. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen stated that this could be a blueprint for cooperation with other countries. To the surprise of no one, this will very likely increase the human rights violations and abusance that happen there. And after this, I have two examples of stories that that happens at the EU borders that are I think particularly the heartbreaking. And this was also the hardest part for me to write, because there are so many stories out there that I think deserve to be heard and deserve to have like some lights shone on there just to show people the reality. But that would be that would turn into a very very long episode.
Speaker 7: Yeah, can I can I quickly just I would like to say something about the these deals and I think there is something very ironic about the European Union pretending to value democracy and human rights and ladlah Well, I mean what you've just said makes it apondantly clear that human rights in Europe are just for Europeans and not for humans. But I would also just like to stretch that it's very strange and I think not maybe often enough address that what Europe is doing is it's just bribing countries. It is bribing countries to stop migrants. It is bribing countries to take unwanted migrants back through deportation. It is often also forced to take on its own citizens. So it's not only people from Sub Sahara Africa traveling through Libya, but it's also Libyan people themselves. So they have elected a government, they have an interest themselves as well, maybe in having the ability to move away from Libya, and the you needs to come up with enormous sums of money to force these governments to Yeah, why do they need that money, because that's not in the interest of the country or its citizens to do this. And especially in the Netherlands, there is this enormous Yeah, there's just this expectation that if we don't like something, other countries should do something about it. So in the Netherlands, Moroccan migrants specifically are filified a lot and and Algerian migrants, and both countries have not been very collaborative with deportations, but like, why the hell should they support the forced return of their own citizens who don't want to go back to their countries. Yeah, like there's no reason for them to do that, except if Europe is just abusing its power and forcing it these countries to do things that are yeah, not in their interest. I mean a lot of these border guards. I think Libya is an exception because they they actually make money out of the migrants in so many different ways. But if you look at Serbia or Bosnia, they are forced to control their borders, which is super expensive. And like, these are countries who have other issues to fix, Like, yeah, maybe they should make they want to focus on building up their country and improving living conditions, but instead the EU is just giving them money to yah to protect, to protect borders of people who aren't mainly just walking through their countries, Like that's not really a big problem for them. And yeah, it's very runic because Europe is like justifying its migration policies with this idea that every country has sovereignty over who it allows access. That's like legally, that's like the fundament of migration deterrence, but it only claims that right for itself. So if other countries say, well, I don't care if there is Serians walking through my country, like maybe they'll spend some money and they'll just leave anyway. Yeah, other countries don't have the right. I think Belarus is an interesting example as well, because Belarus welcomed migrants and then brought them to the new border with Poland and Lithuania mainly, and Belarus has every right to give freest to people.
Speaker 10: You know, it's actually like, just like the namelet says the rights to give frees out to people, battle US says that right too, and then of course people can also go to the border across the border if they want and ask for asylum.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I just wanted to highlight the irony of how.
Speaker 9: Incredibly one sided Europe is in how we can claim that we want to keep people out, but other countries are not allowed to have sovereign migration policies.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we see it exactly the same in the US, right, like we're trying to outsource processing of migrants to quatemoleson ondoors. We are trying to I mean, we pay Mexico massive some to Moody to enforce aborder. Right like we saw it's funny. There are three gaps outside of a combat that people who have listened to this podcast will be very familiar with my reporting on. And we saw those gaps closed down not when people started coming so much, but once once legacy media outlets showed up. Then by December, the US had a bilateral meeting with Mexico, and very soon thereafter, we saw Mexican National Guard sitting at those gaps in the border wall. The US is border like if people are leaving Mexico, it's not Mexico's problem. But we saw them with technicals and machine guns policing those gaps in the border. And the US gives a ton of money to countries to enforce its border right to prevent migration and get extremely The US has even taken actions to prosecute airlines that fly people north so that they can too. Yeah. Yeah, it's.
Speaker 7: Like insane, like half a million or something for like bringing one migrant without of these Yeah. Yeah, two is externalization, just as like bribing Libya to protect the border. It's also like actually forcing carriers, like forcing transport. Com needs to be the border guard.
Speaker 11: Yeah, to ascertain whether you have a visa or not. Decide if you have the right to travel. Let's pick up with those examples you make, because I think it is important for people to kind of have a human face or a human story.
Speaker 5: Well, to preface this, like migrants are under EU law, migrants are supposed to apply for aside in the first EU country that they enter. This policy is likely the result of fear from more affluent European countries that the majority of refugees will travel to those countries. This means that the countries geographically closest to Africa and the Middle East are the ones supposed to take in most refugees. Think of Spain, Greece, Italy, Bulgaria. They however, are not too afphusiastic at the prospect of taking in huge amounts of migrants.
Speaker 7: More are the migrants themselves.
Speaker 5: By the way, I can imagine that they're also a lot too keen to live in Bulgaria, especially after what follows next, because this story happened at Turkish Bulgarian border. But I also personally it's just incredibly cruel that like the Netherlands and Germany and the Scandinavian countries are like, oh no, you should take you should take all those refugees, like we don't want them here.
Speaker 7: And I would say that's like where the outsourcing starts, Like that's you law. We have shance, so we have like free travel within the u EU, but that comes with extremely violently guarding the outside of the EU. So if you are a border country, you are only welcome if you can prove to us that you are cruel enough to discourage people from crossing this border. Because again, like Bulgaria doesn't really have that much interest in guarding the borders if people can just if they any way want to go to Western European countries, right, so it's a way to again to I would say, the border externalization already starts from like the main countries of destination, which is like France and Germany, and even Bulgaria would not have much interest in stopping migrants if there were not all of these rules to make them responsible.
Speaker 5: Exactly. But again, which is why I said, like the more affluent countries within you don't want that for reasons that I think anyone can think of at this point of the story. Is where pushbacks come into play. This is a tactic used by the countries I just mentioned. It's a set of measures that force people back over the border they crossed, often immediately after it. This practice is often a force for violence and does not take into account the circumstances of nagrants and denies them the opportunity to apply for asylum. This means that the EU does pushback people that have very legitimate reasons to apply for asylum. Under the EU's own rules, I'm going to quote, pushbacks violate the prohibition of collective expulsion of asylum seekers in Protocol four of the European Convention on Human Rights and often violate the international law prohibiting on non refoulment. No, it's French, yeah, ah, okay, I was never good at French.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 5: It's a fundamental principle of international law that forbids a country receiving asylum seekers from returning them to a country in which they would be improbable danger of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion. That being said, I'm aware even like the Dutch government has sent like LGBTQI people back to countries where they could be like persecuted for that. So again, those rules seem to be very optional So what follows now is two examples of border practices that I think are particularly egregious. So on October third, twenty twenty two, Abdullah Mohammed, aged nineteen, a Syrian refugee, attempted to cross the Bulgarian Turkish border. After being pushed back by border guards, they threw stones at the border about emphasize here at the border itself, not at the guards. After this, a shot rang and Abdullah fell to the ground with a bullet lodged one centimeter away from his heart. He survived and was interviewed by Lighthouse Reports. He states that there wasn't intent to kill when he was shot. That's his belief. The bullet also pierced this hand, which is now partially paralyzed. There seems to be no justification or reason whatsoever for border guards to have shot, or to have shot with live ammunition. This was the first time that such an incident was called on video. If you want, you can find it linked on lice Lighthouse Reports attached to the article about this incident. The video is not as bad as you might think, but watch you at your own risk. As far as I'm aware, there have been similar rumors before, but this was the first instant that has entered like the public record, or the first time it was actually documented. Needless to say, no one should be shot for attempting to cross a border. I don't care about anyone's opinion or bad faith nuances. People have a right to apply for asylum, and as far as I'm concerned, this was a deliberate and calculated attempted murder.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I do think there have been quite a lot of videos of people being shot, and definitely people making statements about it and just having the actual bullet in their body to prove that it happened. Yeah, it happened in Croatia, it happened in Greece. Greece is a habit of shooting at boats as well and in that way making people drown. Yeah. And of course, apart from the shootings, which I would say on the European borders that they are still kind of rare. The yeah, the pushbacks and the violence and the torture is yeah, the evidence of that is like an enormous pile. There's when I was working in Bosnia, I think that was in twenty eighteen nineteen, there was no video footage of a pushback and there was a journalist who volunteered with us for a while and they were the first one to film it. But in the past years they're been like many many horrible videos of people being beaten up and actual torture.
Speaker 11: Yeah. Of course, in the US, under the pretense of protecting us all from the coronavirus, which still killed millions of people in this country, we have something called Title forty two, which allowed border patrol to quote unquote repatriate people to Mexico even if they weren't Mexican, and just drop them back in Mexico to include laterally transferring them, which is a pseudonym for kind of trafficking them halfway across the country and then dumping them in a place where they have no connections, no money, and no way of establishing themselves. Right, And this led to massively increased a fatalities at the border because people were trying to avoid border patrol where they coming in and surrendering themselves for asylum as we see now, and massively increase encounters at the border. Encounters don't necessarily represent unique individuals, right, this is my I will beat this fucking drum until I die. But apparently our colleagues at New York Times haven't worked it out yet. Wall Street Journal, almost every NPR, every big outlet in the United States that likes to commission border reporters who don't live on the border will tell you that that, like the number of migrants went up. An encounter is an encounter. If someone crosses and then gets bounced into Mexico and then crosses again and does that five times, that's five encounters. It's the same person. BP doesn't doesn't keep records of unique individuals under Title forty two, or didn't keep under Title forty two. We don't know how many people, but we know that more people tried to cross, and we also know that every time you try to cross, you risk your life, and so we certainly know that more lives will put in danger because of this policy, because again, like turning someone back is not going to stop them, especially when you're dropping them in a country where they don't want to be and where they're not from. Like, the people aren't just going to be like, oh, okay, cool, I'll stay in Mexico like that. That has not historically been the case.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we had exactly the same kind of juggling with numbers. I remember people in Bosnia, some of them would get pushed back like forty or fifty times, and so they would be counted as individuals stops. Yes, indeed, so it would sound as if there was like, I don't know, tens of thousands, and I was like, it's really not that many, though, Yeah. Yeah, literally count the same person again and again and again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And also I would like to say that like, yes, it is a border like the EO border countries, but it is also much deeper into the territory. So we externalize the border towards like Libya and Niger and way further even, but we also internalized the border, so we would find we would have people who had made it to Austria or Italy. They would get caught in Austria Italy, be pushed back to Slovenia, taken over by Slownia police, brought to the Croatian border, taken off by Creation police often in Croatia, get tortured and then be dumped on the Boston border, which would be the EU border as well. So that's what they call chain pushbacks. And yeah, I yeah, so I worked in the Boston Hetzegovina, which is none you, so we would get the people after they had been pushed back. Yeah. The things that people have done, like water guards have done to migrants are yeah, I don't know if you actually want to use this footage, right, It's like it's really really gruesome. Like in Bosnia, they would they would be like snow form, like they have very long and very cold winters. They would take away people's shoes and socks and like make them walk for five hours on bare feet. So one of the main tasks of our volunteers or medical volunteers was amputating toes. People would Yeah, people would come back with broken bones, broken skulls. People would be sent back with just their underwear. That minus twenty degrees celsius.
Speaker 11: I don't know how much that is in the US, neither do way. It's I think they come together around minus twenty. It's extremely the cultret.
Speaker 7: Gets the more accurate.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So like at some point we start to call this could torture as a kind of specific yeah, tactic that mainly the Croatian border guards were using.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Also, yeah, and I also want to stress again that yes, it is the European border countries in the East and in the west and in the south. But when I was working in Bosnia, Croatia was not yet part of the Shanan Zone, and like politicians were pretty explicit about Croatia can only enter if they have solved their border problem, even though there was constantly proof of torture coming out. The same happened with Bulgaria and Romania. So these countries were very very much pressured by countries like the Netherlands and Germany, who like you know, pretend not to have anything to do with these atrocities, but who were very very explicitly saying if you are not, if you don't get your borders in control, you cannot join the economic Yeah, you cannot have the open borders within the U.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's so sad to see all these serenities. This is very depressing. My friends and I were helping someone who had it, like the early onset of like like trench foot, Yeah, a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we don't do it, like I guess as a policy as much as just by default. But in the mountains and then desert here in California when it rains, areas that are drive the rest of the year, turning to rivers and migrants have to cross. And we've also seen a large number of migrants drown this year in San Diego, and I more will have drowned if very brave people hadn't risk their own lives rescuing them. Not people who were working for the government, just individuals who cared. We've also seen a young man from Jamaica recently passed away. This was in early probably early for some February and March. From February March. He was on a migrant trail. I know exactly where, about a few hundred yards actually from where my friends have left warm clothes, hand warmers, jackets, food, water, But he wasn't able to make it that far and for whatever reason, you know, like one death of a tragedy and a million statistic or whatever. But that really impacted me. He was actually on the other side of the border when he died, but like he could have thrown a stone into the US and it's not a fence to border there. But yet we have chosen a policy which made that young man die of hypothermia by himself on the side of a mountain because for some reason, that's what we've decided or our government has decided it's better than having him come here and be able to make his case and live with us and get a job or what have you. And yeah, that was just a particularly heartbreaking one for me because I knew that, like he was five minutes walk away, ten minutes walk away from potentially being okay, And like that that's why my friends and I like to go out and leave stuff for people. But it shouldn't be a group of anarchists and migrant activists and people of faith like hiking into the desert every weekend with backpacks full of water and food and warm clothes. That shouldn't be what prevents people from dying coming here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a kind of cruelty in that, even like it is amazing to help people to be part of a group of people who commit themselves to yeah, to resist these incredibly violent borders and to support people who decide to across them. But at the same time, it is just so problematic that someone's life, like access to food or healthcare, depends on whether or not there are some crazy volunteers willing to do that. So like it shouldn't be like our you know, are like, yeah, like I don't want to have that power over someone's life, and I think no one should have that power over someone's life. But this system where basically migrants' lives are disposable, also mean that it's like optional to offer super basic things that can save these lives.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, very much, sir.
Speaker 5: Are you ready for the second depressing story?
Speaker 11: Yeah, let's let's get the second to break.
Speaker 5: Let's hit rock bottom.
Speaker 11: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: So I'm sure you've you've heard this story before, but still I think it's very much worth repeating. So on June fourteenth, twenty twenty three, the Adriana, a ship on its way degrees, capsized and subsequently sank. The boat allegedly had the capacity for about four hundred people, but carried around seven hundred and fifty. Of all those lives, one hundred and four were saved, eight two were confirmed deaths, and up to four five hundreds are missing and presumed death, the majority of which are women and children. I'll refer back to the Lighthouse Reports, who did a reconstruction of the incident which makes this even worse than it already is. Transcriptions and witness statements obtained by Lighthouse Reports, the Oshpiego Monitors iiraj Lpos report is United and the Times strongly suggests that the Greek coast Guard attempted to conceal their own involvement in this stragedy. Nine survivors were asked to make statements, none of which appeared to blame the coast guard. Different suggestions were given for the capsizing, blaming it on the edge of the ship or the lack of life jackets. Four of these statements contained near identical phrasing. It was later discovered that one of the translators was a coast guard himself. There were other translators, all of which were sworn in on that very day later in Greek courts. Six of those nine stated that the coast guard did in fact tow the boat before it went down. Two survivors tot Lighthouse reports that certain parts of their testimony was omitted in the transcription. To clarify that a bit because of what I said earlier that migrants have are obligated to apply for asylum in the country in which they arrive. It's become a habit of like coast Guard and frontect to attrag them to certain areas of of water that are part of for example, Italy or Greece. This particular one boat may have been an attempt to drag the boat to Italian waters so the Greeks didn't have to take them in. So, to quote the report from Lighthouse sixteen out of the seventeen survivors we spoke to set the coast guard attached the rope to the vessel and tried to tow it shortly before it capsized. Four also claimed that the coast guard was attempting to tow the boat to Italian waters, while four reported that the coast guard caused more depths by circling around the boat after it capsized, making waves that caused the boat's carcass to sink. End quote not great badtime stories.
Speaker 11: If you ask me, yeah, things.
Speaker 4: There there's just no words like yeah, I.
Speaker 11: Think this like I don't think anyone should be okay with it. Perhaps I think we're going to talk again about how people can oppose this, and how people can try their best to to a change the system and be do what they can, you know, while we're stuck in this terrible place to make things more survivable and less cruel. So perhaps we can finish up here with you guys, plugging anything you want to. If there are orgs or social media where people can follow both of your work, then I'd love to hear about them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you can follow us on migrates. That's the end. I think it's like for English and migrator is I G R E A C. Yeah, the system is super fucked. Are SIP super fucked?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's really treating human beings as disposable and human a monment. Life has absolutely no value. But I also just wanted to say that I think a lot of migrants who cross borders they are aware of the risks. But I think it's also important to say that it isn't it's a kind of resistance. It is a kind of We started that episode with talking about passport privilege and the lottery of birth, and I think we should not only look at like the bad border guards and the good people helping or something, but I think we should also acknowledge that the people crossing the borders are doing like taking unbelievable risk, often also to help their families or their friends. Yeah, and I think crossing a border without permission is a kind of resistance. And I think we as people who yeah, do direct support or direct aid. We are I mean for me, it's also part of the resistance, is like helping people cross the border. I don't mind if yeah, people that want to accuse me of being a smaller or something, or like aiding illegal border crossings. Like the whole point is that people should be able to cross that border.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think that's a really good Someone recently accused us of in Cucumber that said that people people come to a cumber because we feed them, and like it's fucking ludicrous, Like you didn't fucking come from a guinea because I'm going to give you a peanut butter sandwich on.
Speaker 7: Some breadt like the best food.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, like it is.
Speaker 1: It is not the best.
Speaker 11: It's the best we can do, like you know, less than an other person or what have you. But like no, like but I guess. But I am doing it because I believe that person should be able to and not just because they're in those dire circumstances, but because I fundamentally support they're right, Like I want them to be my neighbor. Yeah, I'm okay with that, and that's why I'm doing it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, I.
Speaker 5: Think we should all keep in mind how many of our friends, family, or other loved ones have moved at some point in their lives for a job or opportunities or love or whatever. That the essence of like human movement is the same, right right there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it is our politicians who choose that this movement is a problem, that the movement of these people specifically is a threat or danger. Whereas I think, like, yeah, if you talk about like racism or systemic racism, the questions, I was like, yeah, but what is the system? Then? This is the system, the visa policies, the actual border. This is what is keeping people like is trying to keep people in exploitable conditions in the global South, is doing incredible cruelties to them just for political gain. Is exploiting people who do make it, but who are undocumented or on fragile residence status and are still exploited and deprived of basic rights even if they do arrive to their country of destination. Like this system is designed to create an underclass of people that is easily exploitable. There are companies who are profiting from this. There is absolutely no intention to stop migration, but there is definitely an intention to marginalize and segregate migrants and yeah, and just profit of it.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And meanwhile, we do the absolute bare minimum to provide aids to those countries to make the living conditions there better.
Speaker 7: Yeah, these borders are playing a role and keeping people exploitable there and making it possible to make them work for incredibly low wages and horrible labor conditions. Like these borders are forcing them into the in the those conditions.
Speaker 5: I think the mandatory international Development aid that countries should pay is like zero points zero zero seven percent or something of the GDP, and the majority of like Western countries are not doing that even that. So it's very much like the problem is that they're coming here, not that the conditions there are ship and war keeping them shits. Yeah great, I'm a bit bumped now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Sorry, we've left you all saide. We will come back with Rose again and make to talk about ways to make it better. Is there anything you wanted to plug, make anything you want people to give the time money to follow on the internet.
Speaker 5: I just want to give a shout out to like organizations such as migrates, but also the abolished Frontext campaign and United Against refugee DEFs, and it would urge anyone to who feels compassionate to help out. There are so many ways you can help out, even if you don't know it yet, it is sorely needed. Like wherever you are, whoever you are, you can help out.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 11: Everyone, it's me James, and I just wanted to read you this today. We're going to put it in our episode this week because it's a cause that's important to us, and so we thought it would be something that might be important to you too as well. On the tenth of June twenty twenty four, Leonard Peltier, an enrolled member of the Turtle Band of Chippewa of Lakota and Ajibwei Ancestry and the longest serving political prisoner in the United States, will be appearing before the US Parole Commission for the first time since two thousand and nine. He faces staunch opposition from the FBI and other law enforcement agencies due to having allegedly killed two FBI agents in a firefight on the twenty six of June nineteen seventy five, after the agents appeared on reservation land to execute a pretextural warrant. The initial firefight occurred during the quote reign of terror on Pine Ridge in the wake of the occupation of Wounded Kney, a time of extreme violence when federal law enforcement installed a puppet tribal chair and was arming vigilantes who targeted Indigenous traditionalists. Every since leading up to these events, as well as subsequent investigation and mister Peltier's extradition, trial, conviction, and sentencing, were characterized by gross misconduct on the part of law enforcement, the prosecution, and the courts. Mister Peltier's co defendants were separately tried and acquitted on grounds of self defense. Mister Peltier was railroaded, and his case is tainted by discrimination at every level, ranging from the withholding of exculpatory evidence to the torture and coercion of extradition and trial witnesses, and from the refusal of the judge to dismiss and vowedly racist Dura to the apologetic gymnastics of the courts affirming his convin in the face of meritorious legal challenges at admitted evidence about rageous government misdeeds. Mister Peltier has been in prison for more than forty eight years, and he's almost eighty years old. He suffers from chronic and potentially lethal conditions for which he receives insufficient and substandard medical care. If you want to take action to hashtag free Lenard Peltier, you can call the US Parole Commission at two zero two three four six seven zero zero zero, And if you'd like to find more information on how to support, you can go to this r L it's h t t P colon slash slash n d n C dot c C slash free Leonard Peltier. That's fr e E L e O n A R d P E L t I E R, or you can follow n d N collective on social media for more ways to support him. More information on Daniel Peltier. Listen to Margaret's podcast on the Lakota Nation. I read in the Spirit of the Crazy Horse by Peter Matthewson.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to It Could Happen Here, a podcast about things falling apart, and today, the thing that's fallen apart is our shared concept of reality, our ability to exists as a population within the same world, or at least versions of the same world that even slightly interact with each other. And my guest for this episode about the breaking of reality. Garrison, Davis, Garrison, what do you know about the USS Eisenhower.
Speaker 4: Is that is that from Star Trek?
Speaker 1: Is that a Yeah, that's the ship that they all fly around and in Star Trek, the many voyages of the Starship Eisenhower. It's continually miss such a different show every episode. They're just fucking with Guatemala like every single episode, but cards just finding another way to overthrow the government of Guatemala.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, that's like alternate universe evil Gene Roddenberry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, if Gene Roddenberry had been like a hardcore conservative. Yeah, speaking of hardcore conservatives, we are talking again about alternate realities, and the USS Eisenhower is relevant to that because it's kind of been the subject of a reality fracture recently, just talking in terms of like things that are actually true. The USS Eisenhower is a very big aircraft carrier. It's got something like five thousand people and its crew. It's nuclear powered. It can stay i think up to like twenty five years. Potentially, it could stay in the field without needing to like refuel or anything like that.
Speaker 4: That's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Aircraft carriers are insane things, and it is the center of an Air Force carrier group, which is a group of I think there's something like ten or eleven other ships in it, a combination of like you've got like destroyers, these little missile ships. I think there's some submarines. Probably an ice cream ship in there somewhere. That's kind of like a key thing the US military does. Anyway, the Eisenhower is the ship that's out in the Gulf of Aiden right now throwing down with the Hoothys. And on the thirty first of last month, there was a series of attacks launched by the Eisenhower along with some of our British allies, striking thirteen Hoothy targets at various locations in Yemen. This was in response to a number of attacks that the Hoothies had launched recently on shipping in the region, including I think they hit a Greek ship a couple of times. The strikes came also a day after the Hoothy's shot down an m Q nine Reaper drone, which was the third downing of a Reaper drone in May. So the Hoothies have been dropping reefs pretty regularly. So anyway, all of this led to a massive series of strikes that were kind of you know, launched from the Eisenhower on Houthy targets. Houthy rebels said that the air strikes killed at least sixteen people and wounded thirty five others. I think that death toll has risen since the article, the Washington Post article I'm looking at now, and that you know, we're going to be talking about things that are credible and not credible. If the Hoothies say, given the attacks launched, that death toll seems pretty credible to me, just based on other strikes that I've read about. The Houthis launched a retaliatory strikes on the Enterprise, or at least they claim that they did. Wait on the on the Eisenhower. We did used to have an aircraft carrier name the Enterprise. I don't I think we've decommissioned it since I'm blaming real fast.
Speaker 4: He would he would not, he will?
Speaker 1: He would He would be fucking his way through the Houthis already. Kirk would have. That's ah. God, Star Trek is so much more fun to talk about than actual geopolos, which are mostly depressing with the genocide and all anyway, the houthis claimed that they launched an attack on the Eisenhower the US. The DoD says that they did not. The Hoothy Press person stated that they hit the Eisenhower. The hit was accurate and direct. Again, there's no evidence of this whatsoever that's been posted. The story seems to have started percolating out into kind of lefty media when Hoothy Press people made this announcement. I think the first direct statement I found about it outside of like hoothy Press resources was a Twitter account called for an online news magazine calling West Asian geopolitics called The Cradle. I'm not wildly familiar with The Cradle. They've got something like one hundred and nine thousand followers on Twitter, and they seem to mostly be you could say, like a broadly sort of anti imperialist left. Most of their content lately is very pro Gaza. You know, there's stuff like articles about Israeli organ trafficking networks in Turkey. You know, they've got like video clips of like pro Palestinian protesters getting dunks in on pro israel protesters, a like protests and stuff like that, very standard stuff. And on the thirty first they posted a They made a post yeah, basically restating what the Houthis had said, although they instead of saying the Houthis made a claim that they had struck the Eisenhower, they claimed it was ye many Armed Forces. It's an easy way to tell that someone is not accurately reporting on what's happening in Yemen because the Houthis are actively at war with YEA many armed forces. Like that is the actual reality of the situation on the ground over there. So this got picked up by chunks of lefty media, and particularly like American lefty media. I think one of the first big accounts to take this story was a guy named Ashton Forbes. You know Ashton.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've heard of Ashton Forbes. This is this whole like left media anti imperialism bubble has just gotten so big the past like six months.
Speaker 1: These are mostly accounts, and I believe this is true for Ashton too, who like they blew up in the wake of October seventh once, particularly once the Israeli started launching massive strikes on Gaza. And they primarily exist within the profit ecosystem that Elon established in Twitter right where if you have a verified account and you get a lot of engagements from other verified accounts, you get a chunk of money from Twitter, right, And so all these people figured out that there's a huge appetite for reposted videos from Gaza or videos that you just claim are reposted videos from Gaza. A huge number of them are from Syria, and if they make people really angry or horrified, they'll get shared and get a ton of engagement, and you will get a check, right, Like, That's that's where Ashton comes out of. That's where all these guys come out of. So Ashton sees. I don't know if he picked it up directly from the hoothy press people. I don't know if he picked it up from that thing on the cradle, But he posts the next day breaking and he's got of course, of course I'll show you. I'll share screen garrisons. You can see he's got he's got the two little sirens. Yeah, he's got the two little sirens on either side. Oh yeah, no, of course there's a million of this guy. This guy is all over the internet. A source has informed me that the USS Eisenhower has been sunk all caps. Mainstream media reports from yesterday claim the ship was not hit by Houthy missiles. Social media shows conflicting reports of damage. I'm seeking corroboration on this potentially huge story. So first we see the escalation of the HOUTHI say, we shot at the Eisenhower and we hit it right. They didn't claim they'd sunk it. I think because the Houthis are like, they're not dumb, and like, that's an easy claim to disprove. Whereas yeah, you can kind of like there's not as much live footage of this, you could kind of get away for a while with making people think maybe you damaged it a little bit, or at least you got close, you know. But a source a source, yes, a source from citizen journalist Ashton Forbes speaking truth to power. Yeah. The evidence that Forbes post, because he says, like social media so there's conflicting reports of damage, is a screen grab of what looks like an aircraft carrier that's on fire. You can see a water very.
Speaker 4: Boring, very very blurry picture as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's there's there's a watermark. I don't know if you can see it clearly on this gear, but like that says Arabic journal so he clearly took it from another website. Right now, I would describe the image quality of this as cell phone camera circa two thousand and seven.
Speaker 4: That's accurate. Yeah, it roughly at like three d s camera. Yeah, yeah, it looked.
Speaker 1: It's not even super clear to me that that's an aircraft carrier. Forbes's post obviously, you know, does not occur in a vacuum here, And it would be deeply fucked up for me to say, like citizen journalists shouldn't exist, Like if someone identifies themselves as that, it's a sign that they're danger or that they're they're full of shit, right, because recent history is filled with people who call themselves citizen journalists putting out bullshit. But like it's also filled with instances of citizens doing crucial journalism in the absence of credential professionals.
Speaker 4: Especially in Gaza right now.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean that's basically everything, right, in part because most of the journalists who have tried to report on it have been fucking murdered. But even in the US, we have the recent case of Darnella Frasier, who was the eighteen year old woman who filmed the murder of George Floyd on May twenty fifth, twenty twenty. She received a Pulitzer Prize the next year for her video. However, journalism, while again there's a lot of value in citizen journalism, journalism is also a technical trade and there are in fact some things that random dirts on the Internet should not report on, and an attack on the Eisenhower is maybe one of them. To make a long story short, the USS Eisenhower was not sunk. It is virtually impossible for non state forces like the Houthies, with the weaponry that they currently enjoy, to sink a vessel like the Eisenhower. And for a little bit of context on why that is the case, I want to talk about another aircraft carrier called the USS Independence. The Independence was one of many many aircraft carriers produced by the United States to curb stomp the Empire of Japan during World War Two. After that war, we found ourselves with way more aircraft carriers than we needed or could afford to operate indefinitely at peacetime. So we decided to do the smartest thing we could with all these extra aircraft carriers and nuke them.
Speaker 4: That was swait.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, well, it's classic nineteen forty six America logic.
Speaker 4: That is true. That is true.
Speaker 1: That is so, the Independence didn't brave nuclear hell fire alone. As part of Operations Crossroads, we detonated two nuclear bombs within seventeen hundred feet of a fleet of ships. That's pretty close to point blank range in nuclear weapons terms. Fourteen ships were sunk out right by these nukes, and the remainder were badly damaged. The Independence was one of the boats that remained floating, though, and it actually was towed back to San Francisco after being nuked twice. Two nukes could not sink a nineteen forty six aircraft carrier.
Speaker 4: What are they building these things out of?
Speaker 1: They're very big, and they are if you are attacking them above the water line, it's really hard to sink one of these boats, right, Like, that's kind of the thing. You can lob huge missiles and hit them with huge missiles on the top of the thing, and that can stop them from being able to launch aircraft. It can kill crew, but unless you're actually blowing a big hole in it below the water line, you're not going to send one of these fuckers to the bottom of the ocean, right That's just kind of sure.
Speaker 4: Physics, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So we towed the Independence back to San Francisco. They actually built a radiation lab in the boat itself for a while. And then that's again because the United States be how the United States do? We filled this massive boat with concrete drums full of radioactive waist and sunk it thirty miles off the coast of California with two torpes.
Speaker 4: That's fucking hilarious. That rules. Hell yeah, brother, this country man.
Speaker 1: So again, once we started lobbin torpedoes at this fucker underneath the boat, it was not wildly hard to sink the son of a bitch, right, And that's the reality of the situation. If the Huthies were able to get like some subs that were capable of like actually getting through you know, the dragnet of boats that are defending the Enterprise, and they could get any kind of you know, decent sized torpedo underneath it, they might have a chance of sinking it.
Speaker 4: Photon torpedoes, photon torpedo for the Enterprise, yes, yes, yes, yes, or a quantum torpedo.
Speaker 1: If we've moved on to d S nine Garrison.
Speaker 4: Oh, I've not started DS nine year.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, it's great. It's the horniest star Trek Garrison, which is shocking to it is shockingly horny. So I want to note while I'm talking about the impossi ability of the Huthies using their current methods, which are basically when it comes to how they've been attacking the Eisenhower, they've been either flying drones at it, trying to ram it with an explosive drone, or launching cruise missiles at it right, and all of these are basically aiming for the top of this boat, because that's kind of the option that they have.
Speaker 4: I was not aware that they had like advanced submarine capabilities.
Speaker 1: They sure don't as far as I'm aware they don't. Yeah, now it is. It's worth noting potentially it could be surprisingly easy sometimes to sink a modern aircraft carrier if you have a decent submarine. And there's evidence of this that came from a joint Franco US naval exercise off to the coast of Florida in March of twenty fifteen, where basically we're doing this exercise with the French at one point. This French submarine is part of the Op four which is like opposition forces during a war game, and it sinks the Roosevelt and most of its escorts in like a simulated battle. And this is you know, it's very funny because like the French military posted about this and then had to delete it because it was really embarrassing for the Navy, and it's seen as evidence by people who actually know their shit about naval power and naval warfare is like, oh, US anti sub interdiction tactics and technology really took a hit in the post Cold War period. We stopped putting money into it because like we thought, well, who's going to send subs after us if the Russians are gone?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly, yeah, yea yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So I don't mean to say that like these boats are invulnerable. Nothing can stop the US Navy. In fact, the evidence suggests that like a modestly powerful naval power could do some serious damage to a carrier group in the right circumstances. It's just the way the houthis. The claims people are making about how the houthis sunk the Eisenhower is not a way in which the Eisenhower could realistically be sunk. Right, some bootleg Iranian missiles are not going to sink the most advanced carrier in the world today. Two nukes couldn't do a comparatively shitty carrier in nineteen forty six. Now, this is all pretty obvious to anyone who knows the first thing about modern naval warfare. But it was not obvious to our citizen journalist friend, Ashton Forbes. When numerous people pointed out to him that his claims were absurd, he replied, yeah, I wanted to hold back on this story in case it's not true, but I trust my source and the media reports stink to me. If this ends up being wrong, I'll retract. But the implications are too huge not to report?
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, yeah, sure, buddy, why not.
Speaker 1: We're going to dig into that and the ethics of the journalism that he claims to be practicing. But first, the ethics of my journalism are that you should buy whatever these advertisers are selling, and we're back. So I really hate the too huge not to report justification. That's like, that's incredibly unethical journalism, because like, if a story is that huge.
Speaker 4: Actually, Robert, no, no, no, I just got an update from a source that nine to eleven two just happened. Oh wow, I have, I have, I have a very blurry picture. I'm going to post it up on Twitter right now. I can't verify, but this is if true, this is groundbreaking, uh literally in case of you know the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know listeners are like, there's no way nine to eleven two happened several days ago by the time you listened to this episode, and I haven't heard about it. I want to remind you about the film Mad Max Fury Road. You know, when that came out, none of us were expecting another Mad Max movie and we got a great one. And I think nine to eleven two could be the Fury Road of terrorism attacks.
Speaker 4: Real promise, real promise. They also could be censoring the story. They may not want you to know.
Speaker 1: In case you haven't heard the news, doesn't want you to know that nine eleven two already happened because it's going to destroy the market for nine to eleven one memorabilia. You know, that's everybody needs to read Manufacturing Consent by Chomsky. He lays it all.
Speaker 4: As you're saying.
Speaker 1: So obviously, if a story is as big as this and the sinking of the Eisenhower would be like the most significant military reversal in the twenty first century. Maybe, you know, I guess you could argue like the US of leaving Afghanistan. Maybe, But honestly, from a technological standpoint, at least the huth he's managing to drop an aircraft carrier would be massive. And if a story is that big, you have a responsibility not to report on it until you have any reason at all to believe that it's true. So when somebody says the implication or too the implications are too huge not to report on what they mean is I wanted the clout in traffic from getting this out first, and I don't really care if it's true. Now it happens to be quite easy to prove that the USS Eisenhower is still among the living, because the captain of that boat is a poster.
Speaker 4: His name is oh God, Oh.
Speaker 1: This man posts like you wouldn't believe Garrison. I've never seen a commanding officer in the military who posts.
Speaker 2: Like this man.
Speaker 4: Do you think Riker would be a poster? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Riker would be. He would do a lot of dming. He would be sliding into DMS, an awful loss like yeah, yes, absolutely, he would constantly be trying to fuck But I think the only reason he would actually post is when like something broke and he couldn't figure out how to fix it, he would he would be like adding Jordie constantly like yes, I can't get my computer working.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: So the captain of the Enterprise is Christopher F. Hill. And again he's a poster for reasons that I have not bothered to look into and don't care to learn. He goes by chowda on Twitter like with a with a dah, I don't I don't know why, and within minutes of the Forbes post about uh, or of of Forbes's post, he himself posted videos of the bakery on board the Eisenhower, which showed no signs of being underwater. I think that was kind of his subtle way of being like, we are still making like cinnamon rolls, like every is fine on board this ship. In short order, Internet Salutes discovered that the video clip posted by Forbes that claimed to show the Eisenhower in flames was Garrison. Do you want to guess where this what this was a screenshot from?
Speaker 4: Is this a video game?
Speaker 1: It is a video game. It's the video game Arma three. It's from Arma three every time, every time, whenever this happens in the war in Ukraine too. Constantly they'll be like, we've shot down you know, a bunch of these MiG twenty ones, or you know, shot down this massive Russian jet that's never been shot down before. Every time it's Arma three, like every single time.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like eighty percent of the time, fake videos of military vehicles being destroyed, it's just clips from Arma three. Now, a brief glance into the backstory of Ashton Forbes would have made it clear that his claims were nonsense, as this rite up by George Allison in the UK Defense Journal notes, Ashton Forbes, despite his self identified role as a citizen journalist, has i'm told, a history of hosting sensational and often unverified claims, particularly about Malaysia Airlines. Flight three seventy was a commercial flight that disappeared in twenty fourteen we'll en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, leading to numerous conspiracy theories. Now we don't actually know why MH three seventy went down. I think probably the leading theory was that the pilot committed suicide. But even that, I don't think that there's like strong. I don't think it's it's very unclear, could have just been a fuck up, something like it's we really don't know, which is why there's so much conspiracy.
Speaker 4: It could have gone into a wormhole.
Speaker 1: So it could have gone into the wormhole right now. Forbes's belief, according to I found a post by Swift on security, who's a popular security expert, who states that Forbes believes MH three seventy had secret free energy tech on it that was raptured into a wormhole by reptilians.
Speaker 4: Are you so good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you actually got it.
Speaker 4: I was doing a bit.
Speaker 1: You got it right, Garrison, Oh my god, Swim. It's an example of another one of the Citizen Journalist's big scoops free energy announcement. Free Energy, otherwise known as over Unity, is one hundred percent real. The devices exists already. I have been told exactly how an operational device works. I signed an NDA, so won't be able to disclose specifics.
Speaker 4: One hundred.
Speaker 1: That's great. I love that the people who figure out free energy would let you post about it as long as you don't explain how it works.
Speaker 4: I like that you signed an NDA, so you can't talk about it except for this post in what you do talk about it, and which have absolutely talk about classic classic move Now.
Speaker 1: Once Forbes's post started to gain traction, the entire ecosystem of infogrifters who cropped up like mushrooms to profit off the massacre in Gaza swung into gear thanks to Elon's new ownership of Twitter, Being able to draw viral crowds to your content by latching onto the most discussed topics of the day is very profitable, as we discussed, and into this mix you do have some state funded actors. You've got people working for Iran, for Israel, for Russia, for the United States, all trying to push their own sundry lines of propaganda using the engines of algorithmic virality. And then, of course there are the legitimately hopeful but ill informed. And these are the people that I have sympathy with and who I'm kind of like focusing on. These are people who are understandably numb from constant exposure to a barrage of photos and videos of war crimes, and they are desperately ready to believe in some kind of miraculous underdog victory.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: Hollywood fiction has trained us all to see that as possible. This is being thought of by a lot of people who are just numb and broken from videos of horror as like, well, I don't know, maybe we could have our Star Wars moment, right, maybe we've got a Luke Skywalker downing the death Star. Now the houthis aren't Luke Skywalker, and the Eisenhower isn't entirely the death Star. It's like it's got shades of Death Star. It's DNA, it's got some Death Star DNA and it sure yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean it's closer to closer to a star.
Speaker 1: Destroyer, closer to a star destroyer right right right. One of the posts I came across researching this was Alden Marky, who describes himself as a counter propagandist and researcher with a focus on Yemen. He posted a photoshop of the Eisenhower from above with a dagger in the water beneath it. This was accompanied by the text uss Eisenhower was just struck for the second time in twenty four hours, and it had something like two thousand likes, two hundred and fifty thousand views when I came across it. Another account quote tweeted this and got nearly five thousand likes, saying it won't happen, but it would be so fucking funny if Yeman sinks an aircraft carrier, like can you imagine? And I think that guy represents the more common attitude, which is this mix of on we and desperation. Right, nothing is going to stop this massacre. It seems like that. It really feels like that, right, But wouldn't it be rad if something did? And to be realistic, I don't know that. I think there's a real odds that dropping the Eisenhower somehow would stop netnyahou from what he's doing. I mean maybe it would, like it would certainly reduce the ability of the United States to interdict Iranian messles coming into Israel, But I don't know that. I think that it's realistic that that's going to stop net Yahoo from doing the shit that net Yaho's doing. You can feel however you want about that. It's not irrational to be like, boy, I don't think this is real, but like I wish it was, right, So you can feel however you want about this guy. Wanting, you know, thousands of US soldiers to get murdered. I get both, Like, I don't think that realistically, anything the hoo thies are doing is going to stop what Israel's doing at this point, But I also understand just desperately wanting some violence to come down on the other side of this thing after months of watching videos of the slaughter in Gaza. You know, especially as you have you.
Speaker 4: Have like Nikki Haley signing right bombs that right and is sending over like come on, Like yeah, no, I could understand the emotional like, yeah, braw.
Speaker 1: It doesn't speak to the best angels of our nature, right, because you're what you're thinking, you're hoping for huge amounts of human death either way. But like, I get it, and it's not irrational, right, Saying there's no way this is real, but I wish it was is not an irrational feeling, right. You can contrast that to the posts of independent journalists and newsgrifter Richard Medhurst with four hundred and eighteen thousand followers, who posted this on June second, Jim instruct the best ship in the US Navy with ballistic and cruise missiles. The ship is fleeing, and the Captain of the us S Eisenhower, tried to do damage control by posting a video of the deck on Twitter, But it's an old Instagram reel from thirteen weeks ago. Left Yemen never lie, and.
Speaker 4: This is just an alternate reality that they've entered into.
Speaker 1: Now, yes, yes, you have. You have departed reality in favor of one that you are crafting because it's it's more comforting than the one in which nothing seems to be able to actually alter the course of violence in Gaza, right, So you're just deciding to believe in something else. Now, Community notes flagged this post, but it still has something like three hundred and fifty thousand views and more than four hundred thousand likes. Medhurst tis one hundred thousand or four thousand likes, sorry, four hundred and eighteen thousand followers, four thousand likes on the post I see four thousand likes is still a mess? Is a sizable super large number? Yeah. Medhurst has leaned hard into repeating claims that the Houthis have sunk or damaged the Eisenhower and another post with six thousand likes in eight hundred and twenty one thousand views. He describes the IKE as being hit with ballistic and cruise missiles and add, yeomen never lie in their press breathings, so I'm inclined to believe them. In one post, heam, I know it's In one post, he notes that the Houthy's recently shot down an m Q nine Reaper drone, which did happen, and claims the US won't admit to that either, and like, I haven't run into the US denying that this happened. There's three clear cases of m Q nine's being shot down last month alone, right, Like, we actually know a lot about this, which is part of why I don't believe the Eisenhower shot down, As they the Houthis were able to prove quite readily that they had shot down the MQ nine's. I have seen no proof that the Eisenhower's been hit, right, and this isn't just a case where like the Houthis should be able to provide some actual proof if they'd done this. The Eisenhower is a floating city with a population of thousands. There's like seven or eight thousand people. I think at least in the whole strike group. I will con see that the military could probably keep a lid on an attack against the Eisenhower, and might even temporarily be able to hide the fact that it had suffered minor damage. But you're not keeping any anything significant secret for the long haul, right, Like you just you can't. You can't keep secrets like that. There's too many people. They're going to talk to their families. If the boat goes down with thousands of people on board, family members are going to be like, boy, none of us have heard from our loved ones in a while. Right.
Speaker 4: Also think also like the government would say something and like start like a massive batch of retaliation, Like it's not like America would be like, oh, sh.
Speaker 1: Quiet, we just have to pretend this didn't happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're gonna be talking about a NonStop for the past like three months.
Speaker 1: We sent the Eisenhower and its crew to a nice farm up state exactly. So why would the Houthies this is a question to ask, Then why would the Hoothies make fake claims that are obviously fake claims about striking the Eisenhower?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: And I think it's because at this point, for a sizeable chunk of people, fake Hoothy attacks on US assets are just as good as real ones. And I think there are people within the leadership cadres of the Houthis who know that perfectly well. It is entirely possible that the Hoothies find themselves low on munitions after months of conflict with the US, and somebody smart realized, like, what if we just say we shot at them, right, It'll have the same propaganda impact and we won't have a waste a missile.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: No, you'll still be able to talk about it on your Los Angeles Twitch stream to your hundreds of thousands of followers.
Speaker 1: Right, the ongoing gendescide, If that's what actually is happening here, I could see that as a reasonably cunning move. You know, the ongoing genocide and gaza the other inability of protest or armed resistance to change it in any way leads some people to a kind of mad desperation. In this desperation, the Houthis have become a symbol of hope to many people for the simple reason that they seem to be capable of taking action against the forces protecting Israel as Israel commits war crimes. Now, the reality of the situation is that the Huthis themselves have committed their share of war crimes, some of which are remniscent of the very crimes committed by Israel. In December of twenty fourteen, the Houthis laid siege to Yemen's second city, Ties, leading to a humanitarian catastrophe, as this article from The Guardian lays out. Quote sincerely April, when the resistance, an alliance of local forces dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood, fought off the Houthi's attempt to control the city. The militia retaliated by cutting off roads, preventing food and medical aid from getting in. Access is only allowed through a single checkpoint dubbed the Rapha Crossing by the residents after its more famous namesake on the Egypt Gaza border. Every morning, long queues form outside the crossing by those wanting to enter the city hoothy malicious search and confiscate medicine, cooking, gas, cigarettes, bottled water or anything more than a small shopping bag of food. In order to survive. The city has for months been relying on groups of young boys and long trains of donkeys to bring its supplies via a long and arduous journey through the mountains, but donkeys alone can hardly fulfill the needs of the city. Medicine and food have all but disappeared from the market, and the prices of what are left have jumped in the last few months, pushing most of the population below the poverty line. Now the comparison between Tis and Gaza are striking, right, Like the crossing was called Rafa you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, they literally named it after the crossing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, you hear a lot of the same stories, like the hospitals basically were out of you know, anything to actually treat the injured. One of the one doctor at one of the two functioning hospitals in the city told the Guardian, we can't do operations, we can't put people in intensive care. We can only patch wounds and tell the patient you are welcome to die here. Now, I want to be clear here. The other side in this conflict was inarguably even worse. The Saudi led coalition, using US weaponry, put the whole country in a state of siege that led to catastrophic famines and situations very similar and in some cases worse than what the Huthi did toties right, like this is the this I mean, it's war right. This is like unspeakable suffering compounding on unspeakable suffering.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 1: You've probably heard that old saying when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back. And there's a corollary to that statement that I think is relevant to some of the fantasies that some people on the left have about the hoothies. When you start giving yourself up to false realities, eventually you can lose yourself entirely. And we're gonna talk a little bit about that, but first lose yourself to these products. We're back. So people like Medhurst, you know, postliked by these guys, they aren't meant to inform people about the real world. Medhurst's fans, the people who take him seriously, have departed reality in favor of a fantasy, because that fantasy world is the only place in which victory feels possible. There's a term that you and I talk about a lot garrison, coined by the author Robert Anton Wilson, that I think is useful in dealing with situations like this, and that term is reality tunnel. The concept is complex and explanations of it tend towards long, but the basic idea is that we in the modern world are all constantly flooded by information from our senses and from the different information delivery devices that we filled our world with. In order to function, we have to triage that information, to pare it away until we get to a reality that we can live inside, the fact that human beings can and perhaps inherently do. This is not necessarily bad, and in fact, I might argue that without the ability to choose and flip between different realities to change the channel, as Wilson put it, positive progress is impossible. I found this explained well in an essay on Wilson's work by Mikola Bilokonski. Quote, we can slide between reality tunnels by consciously choosing to pay attention to things we might normally ignore. It's hard at first, but as a skill that we can develop with practice. Train yourself to pay more attention to the emotions of the people you're speaking to, for instance, and you'll be surprised at how much richer the world gets. Train yourself to pay attention to your caloric intake and eating fundamentally changes. Train yourself to hear the voices of minorities, and suddenly you see racism and sexism everywhere. Now, those other reality tunnels like that you can key yourself in on are always there. They always exist, right, You just had to actually learn the filters that you existed within in order to access them.
Speaker 4: You know, whether or not you're tuned in doesn't mean like they just don't exist.
Speaker 1: They're still there. Yeah. Yeah, So again the constant you know, the fact that people can like pick and choose which reality chair can change the channel, so to speak, isn't necessarily bad and in fact is part of you know, necessary positive progress. But some people don't want to hop between tunnels and explore the dazzling variety of realities that exist. They want to pick a tunnel in which they feel comfortable and then burrow so deep into it that no other realities can find them. I want you to think of one of my favorite recent Trump World grifts, right, is these kind of this company that started putting out these like ads with an obvious AI Donald Trump or Elon Musk voice where they're like, Trump is going to change the monetary system, and if you buy these like trump Bucks debit card things or fake checks, he's going to like when he changes it, they'll be worth a ten thousand times what you put in. So if you put in two or three thousand dollars worth of this, you'll be rich. He's doing this to reward his loyal fans. He's going to like he's gonna fix everything and you'll finally be rich, right, you know you deserve to be rich, right, And a bunch of people bought these like fake promisary now and then like went to Bank of America to cash them in, and the bank was like, well, no, that's not this, this isn't real this, this is nothing at all, right, and you know, these people got fleeced. And one way to look at the people who got fleeced is like, well they're dumb, right, These people are stupid. You know, they did a stupid thing. They believed something that was obviously fake, and you can you can take that out of their story if you want. I don't think that's helpful, though. The reality is that these people represent a cautionary tale. They didn't start out believing that the guy from the Apprentice was their messiah. Their break from consensus reality began years or decades earlier, and it's going to be different for every individual person. When I think about my own family members who came to believe pretty unhinged things that you know, figures within the Republican Party or Trump himself told them. I tend to trace their break from reality back to well back to the day when the calming, charismatic voice of Ronald Reagan said this about the Iran Contraus scandal, a deal in which his administration gave Iron weapons in exchange for hostages. And this is Reagan. A few months ago, I told the American people, I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me.
Speaker 9: It is not.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think that line is an important moment in the shattering of what we might call reality, consensus, reality, right, The undeniable, actual truth is that Ronald Reagan and many members of his administration committed high crimes and light about it. But Reagan's supporters, his fans, people like my parents, loved him too much to accept this, and old Ronnie offered them a way out, ignore the facts and the evidence and embraced the deeper truth of his heart and his best intentions. And in that moment, I think that's where a lot of Americans, who are now in an even more unhinged place, started burrowing down and started tunneling away from their friends and family and towards the heart of something dark. As the years went on, the consequences of many Reagan era economic and social policies became impossible to ignore. No wealth trickled down, Mourning did not return to America. The promise of the Internet boom yielded to the dot com bubble bursting September eleventh sobered us up from the hallucination of permanent victory. After the end of the Cold War, the housing market crashed, the hideous reality of climate change became unavoidable, the promise of a bright future faded, and people buried themselves deeper in fantasies to avoid oblique and empty horizon. And all throughout this the Left prided itself on a sort of logical sobriety, a willingness to stare into the abyss, to accept the reality of our dire moment, and to propose radical solutions. Yet one by one, the different protest movements put out by the left flopped and fizzled. Promising organizers and ideological leaders were revealed as frauds or became corrupted by the system. Capitalism failed to fall or reform, and rather than confront the dire complex reality that leaves us in, increasing numbers of leftists found alternative realities, served eagerly by an alliance of conman and paid propagandists. Now, leftists have always been just as vulnerable to vicious fantasy as conservatives. This has proven well in the last century. There's a case of a Marxist academic named Malcolm Caldwell, who I think is which I think is valuable depending on who you talk to about Caldwell. He's the Scottish academic. He was a college professor, apparently a pretty good economist, and he also had this weird thing for agrarian communist movements, which he thought were He believed that there was this like massive global famine coming and he believed that these like back to the Land Marxist movements sweeping Southeast Asia where the only way forward for a lot of humanity. He was this like third worldist. A lot of his belief was kind of centering that, you know, the United States was the source of all evil in the world effectively, but this kind of led him to he became a stan of every communist state, even the ones that were in conflict with each other. He traveled to like North Korea and came back like talking about all of the wonderful accomplishments of Juche ideology. You know, he was in love with Vietnam, and he was also in love with Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. And that's kind of part of the evidence that like he had entered a reality tunnel that had taken him away from any kind of logical reality because like Cambodia and Vietnam went to war, right, Vietnam invaded Cambodia, Like these these two were not like communist fellow travelers on the same side of a conflict. Whenever this would get brought up to Caldwell, when he'd argue about, you know, Vietnam and the conflict that Vietnam was having with Cambodia, or he you know, people would try to argue with him about the realities of the Khmer Rouge system, he would just kind of shut down, like he was he was, yeah, he couldn't talk about it right now. Eventually, Caldwell, because he's an academic, he travels to a lot of these countries and you know, it's fine. He travels to the Ubas, he gets a tour there. He travels to North Korea, he gets a tour there, he gets a tour at Vietnam. That's all fine. All of those states are sane states, right, which is not to say that like they don't do bad things, but they're they're run by people who like, there's no benefit in us to anything bad happening to this guy who's out there in the West writing nice things about our regimes. Right, Polepot was not sane. The Khmer Rouge was not sane.
Speaker 4: So he goes to.
Speaker 1: Cambodia with two American journalists, one of whom had been in Cambodia in the years prior to the Khmer Rouge overthrow of the US backed government of Law Nol and knew the country well. And when she got there, they had all these arguments where he was like, I think the revolution is working. You know, it's not perfect, but it needs its time. Look at all the wonderful accomplishments already. And she would point out, I have been to these cities years ago, and there's no people anymore. All of the people are gone. Something is terribly wrong, and he just couldn't listen to her. So they're there a couple of weeks and he gets invited to have a meeting with Polepot, and you know, he has a meeting with him right after these journalists do, and he comes back from it really excited, being like, we had a great talk. He's such a smart man. You know, we talked about economics. I feel really he's invited me back next year, you know. And by the way, within like weeks of this, Vietnam invades and forces Polepot out of the capitol, right, Like the state of the Khmer Rouge was deeply precarious at this point. But he comes out super optimistic, and then later that night a gunman shoots him to death and then shoots himself to death. It is really unclear to this day. It's a bit of a mystery what happened. The most likely explanation is that the Khmer Rouge wanted to pin the murder of a leftist Western academic on Vietnam to try and generate international outrage against Vietnam who was about to invade. It's possible Vietnam killed him for but I don't really see a benefit to Vietnam and doing that again. They invade right after this. It seems like one of the journalists who was there basically was like a pollpot, was out of his fucking mind. Of course he would do this. There's no like, there's no trying to lay out like the rationality behind this man's actions. I think what's more interesting is Caldwell had been presented with plenty of evidence that the Khmer Rouge regime was deeply evil and violent, and in fact, he had published right before he went over there, he published an article about like the successes of their agrarian reforms and the Khmer Rouge government official that he cited in that paper that's like the basis of most of his claims about how well the reforms had worked. With it like a couple of weeks before he arrived in Cambodia was tortured to death in the S twenty one prison. Well, that's not a great sign, not a great sign anyway. I bring this guy up because I think he's maybe the best example of like the damage that you do to yourself when you let yourself fall into these tunnels. Because Caldwell, he's not one of these like gray zone guys. He didn't make a bunch of money being a stand for dictatorships. He seems to everyone who talked, even the people who thought he was like out of his mind and his opinions on the Khmer Rouge agree he was a really nice man. He was a family man, he was a good teacher. He just completely left reality in this one thing, and it led him to oblivion.
Speaker 4: You know, I've been thinking about a lot of similar stuff in terms of like what Israel's currently doing, and like there's so many people who ares vocally supportive every single action that's being done. And there's even been attacks where I've seen people like vietnamly uh like defend what happened. It's like, no, this was like a necessary strike. It it did for all these reasons, blah blah blah blah blah. Even if even if someone like net and Yahoo then like like comes out and says like actually, no, this was like quote unquote like terrible accident or whatever, there will still be people defending it. And like, I don't know if all of these people are literally like bloodthirsty, Like I don't know if they actually really want to see like everyone in Gaza killed I'm sure there's there's maybe some people who are like just bad, but I think the reality tunnel version, I think is a lot more useful for understanding how there's so many otherwise very like normal, normal people who feel totally fine about cheering on the actions of the State of Israel right now as there you know, as the death told just gets higher and higher and higher every single day. No, it's certainly been something I've I've thought about very often these past few months, as I as I'm sure many other people are, you know, both staring into the abyss on on Twitter dot com wherever everyone has a take. But then also you know, if if you're ever going out to any like if you're ever going into any of these protests, there will probably be like a group of Zionist counter protesters yelling something. And it's it's a really tricky thing to navigate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, like it because like, and I guess what the scary question to me is, like, how do you communicate with someone who is not living in the same reality, And like, totally I don't think you really can. I think sometimes I know sometimes because I've seen it happen. Sometimes people just get out of that alternate reality on their own. Right, that does happen, thank god, but it's not like reliable that it happens. And I have, you know, as someone who has been in this space of researching cults, of researching disinformation for years now, I'm not aware of any reliable ways to break people out of these now you know, these these tunnels when they get themselves in. And that's that's the scariest thing to me. Right, there's there's a number of people. I don't think it's huge in an electoral sense, but it's probably thousands or tens of thousands of people who now believe that the Eisenhower is either badly damned or at the bottom of the sea, and they will keep believing that the same way that like a chunk of people believe that when they look up and see clouds, every cloud they see is like poison the US government shot out into the sky using our secret planes to murder people with fucking whatever. I don't know it's anyway, or the.
Speaker 4: Belief that literally ever university in Gaza has been secretly turned into a military.
Speaker 1: Base, right, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: It's They're like underground tunnels. It's like, you know, it's all of all of all of these things that it's not just like a I don't know if this switch happens immediately. I don't think it does. They're they're there. There may be like a tipping point. It is often a very gradual shift into different reality tunnels, and then you don't realize how far you are in one until you're like fully in it. And then in that case you probably don't even realize yourself. People on the outside will point out, oh wow, this is this is uh, this is some interesting beliefs you have suddenly fallen into. Yeah, but it it doesn't, It doesn't happen overnight.
Speaker 7: It is it is.
Speaker 4: It is a slow shift in a lot of cases. And yeah, laying out you know, quote unquote facts and logic often cases does not help at all and will actually hurt. It will produce a backfire effect. That's not the case for everybody, but that is the case for a lot of people. And it's easy to discount, you know, people yelling horrible things that you at a protest. It's easy to discount people you know saying horrible things on Twitter. But it's more frustrating when it's like you're on who you like previously like had a good relationship with And yeah, no, I mean this this this kind of reminds me of like, you know, attempts at QAnon and deprogramming back in like twenty nineteen, where you know, we had this influx of influx of older people and boomers and sometimes just like not super old people either also just like like moms in their thirties who started like leaving all this stuff and cutting them off from you know, contact with you or other people doesn't help obviously, but they can also be really hard to maintain, like a good relationship. And yeah, it's a weird balance of being able to provide a little bit of like compassion to someone and not completely cut them off while also maintaining your own personal boundaries. It's a really tricky thing. But in a lot of the cases of the QAnon stuff, all the most successful things that I've heard about people getting out of it, it did require a line, like there had to be some connecting thread to the person, and over time that thread could be pulled upon and maybe the person would use that thread as like as like a crutch when the reality so slowly started to crumble around them and it's really tricky and I don't have any good solutions for this. Nobody does. Anyone who does say they do is also a grifter who's lying and trying to make money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will, I will agree with you. The closest we come to there being a solution is don't cut off time with the person. I mean, unless you have Obviously, there are some things that people can come to believe and advocate for that you have to, like, I'm not saying that that that line doesn't exist. Like I had someone reach out about a family member who had started to believe some conspiracy stuff regarding extra terrestrials that was like obviously untrue and it worried them, And I was like, well, look, you know, you don't have to tell them that you believe them. You can say like, I don't, you know, really feel the same way you do about this, but I'm always down to talk about it, right or like you know, I'm always you know, here to to listen if you want to talk about this and let him know that like they have a connection still if you make sure that there's like still a way they can get out of that tunnel and back up to something that resembles reality. Maybe they will.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, I I really wish Robert Anti Wilson could have seen the twenty era internet. I'm sure he would have had some thoughts.
Speaker 1: He would have had some fascinating things to write about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well this is this has been an exciting tale.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, so I don't know aircraft carrier down. We did it, Joe, Yeah, we did it.
Speaker 7: Joe.
Speaker 1: Go destroy the USS Eisenhower in your own life, just like the bake Koothies. Pretend did.
Speaker 7: This is?
Speaker 14: It could happen here a daily podcast and this might be our annual oh my god episode. And we have Robert and Garet and I am also here, Sophie, Hi, Garrett.
Speaker 1: We've been chasing the high of the come episode for more than a year, so let's try this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, you know, last week we all got some really exciting news. The Rule of Law has found Donald Trump guilty on thirty four counts. So that's exciting. You can, of course google Trump Rule thirty four to learn more. Which was, you know, a joke. I saw a lot online and then I wanted to actually see what would happen if I did that?
Speaker 1: And then that turned into like that's evidence of mental illness.
Speaker 4: Well nobody does that, and then it turned into like five days of work that's further evidence. So that is what we're doing today. Hey, this is Gere from the Future, just cutting in to clarify one little aspect. When doing the legal review for this episode, we noticed that we never actually defined what rule thirty four is. Now, I assumed if you're listening to this podcast, you know what rule thirty four is, But just in case you do not, Rule thirty four is part of the memified Rules of the Internet. It originally comes from a two husand through webcomic, but Rule thirty four states that if it exists, there is porn of it, meaning that you can find porn of anything on the Internet, whether that be cooking, bowling or in this case Donald J. Trump. And you know, as someone who is just reviewed basically all of the old J. Trump pornography that I could find on the Internet these past five days, I did try to keep this episode roughly PG thirteen. We kind of cross that boundary a little bit. So I do think it's you know, probably wise to give some sort of general sexualized content warning here. But again I tried, I try to keep things as tame as I can, you know, all things considered. Anyway, back to the episode, I started my journey by doing the most obvious thing I could think of, which is opening a virtual PC and using Google through the tour browser to search Trump rule thirty four.
Speaker 14: No, this is already sounding like a great, great life choice when you have to make all of.
Speaker 15: Those steps to search something, well, because.
Speaker 4: I don't what all of my like entire computer and search results just to get completely fucked over for the next like week or two, which they might just already because this is all in a Google doc now, so it's already being mine, you know. Yeah, so I'm already fucked very similar to the way that we'll be discussing today. So wow. The first result when you google Trump rule thirty four is the website's rule thirty four dot xxx. So here we go, just straight to the source. I clicked on the link, and as the page loaded, I was shocked by what I saw, or more accurately, what I didn't see. There was far less Trump porn than what I was expecting. That not even like a single full page of results.
Speaker 1: See this is what Joe Biden's taken from.
Speaker 4: US only thirty one pieces of artwork came up in the search results, seven of which didn't even feature Donald Trump and only used to name. That's right, But many of them just didn't even have Trump and only used his name as like a joke tag for typically some sort of like furry pornography, which is can it be a very common trend for the rest of this episode? So what would you expect the first results to contain on the website? Rule thirty four do xxx god I Garrison.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. I'm imagining a lot of like you know how, there's those like political cartoons like yeah, I forget. I think the guy's name Ben Garrison. I think it is who like always draws Trump as like shredded. I guess that's kind of what I expect.
Speaker 4: There are certainly some of those, but the very first piece features a glossy rendering of Vladimir Putin's head with a quote. This isn't me just quoting myself. I don't know why I said a quote, but it's what I described as a penal like object looming in front, and I believe this is alluded to be Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: I feel like the listener needs to know that Garrison for reasons that surpass all understanding, is wearing a fitted shirt and tie. As they explain this to us, this is serious and ambiance you are not getting as a listener.
Speaker 4: This is a serious topic for me.
Speaker 1: I can see that.
Speaker 15: See, Like I was thinking, like Trump fucking a flag.
Speaker 4: But we'll get some flag action later, don't worry.
Speaker 15: I'm so glad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there we go.
Speaker 4: The next image is actually gonna be a little bit more useful in kind of forecasting some trends that we're gonna be going over. The next image is Donald Trump in the makeup and lingerie engaged in some sort of what I would describe as an interracial cuckhold scenario in the White House.
Speaker 1: Not the best.
Speaker 4: This is where we're gonna start start seeing some worrying trends. And part of the difficulty in this episode was like I can't just show everyone all this pornography. That would be like an HR violation. And I'm not gonna have the editor, you know, cut together weird poorn audio like, so it's it's all I often to describe this with word. But I did find one the tie sense the tie. But I did find one work around is I collected all of the pictures of just Trump's face, divorced from any other context of the image. I will actually share the picture of his face across some of these some of these artworks. Okay, so here is here is image number one?
Speaker 11: Oh honey, not great?
Speaker 7: Is that not like that?
Speaker 1: So this is not I need to qualify here. This is not like a political cartoon. This is somebody trying to get off.
Speaker 4: Okay, correct, Almost none of these are going to be political cartoons. Great, the very last one is, but all of these are just just regular artwork.
Speaker 1: I feel like I have to comment on this with a reference that Garrison might be several decades past your time, but he looks like Missus doubt fire. He looks like Robin Williams and drag a little bit.
Speaker 4: I would say Williams pulls it off a little bit better.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean Robin Williams could pull off anything.
Speaker 14: I just don't think that lipstick works for Trump's complexion.
Speaker 4: No, And I think it's fair.
Speaker 1: His eyeshadows a little heavy, There's definitely some some troubling. Hair look good, Hair's looking great.
Speaker 15: Side note is the image framed behind him also Trump?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's him? That's Trump as some sort of Mussolini type figure. He's got like the Roman laurel wreath in his hair he does, which I believe that Trump has a photo like that in his house. That that actually all right, that could be real.
Speaker 15: Next one, yeah, we have to get.
Speaker 4: We have to get through a few of these. So there is there is multiple tentacle pieces, which I'm sure we could all all guess, right, that's that seems pretty obvious. There is a drawing of Putin and Trump engaged in what I would describe as old man yawi, which is uh, I'm gonna need to see that two parts, and one of one of these images is actually animated into a gift.
Speaker 1: So that's exciting competent though, you know, I actually kind of like those as caricatures of both men. You really get, you get, you get a lot of personality, and I do feel like that's how Vladimir Putin looks when he's coming.
Speaker 4: It's it's not bad.
Speaker 15: Uh oh, I don't think about that, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: Two fun comments underneath this one is this is actually so hot hashtag mega and this is why isn't to our president anymore?
Speaker 1: Perhaps?
Speaker 15: Oh okay.
Speaker 4: We also we also have Trump in a in like a dungeon orgy comprised of horror movie characters and female pop stars. An image posted the day after the election in twenty sixteen, there is Trump in his suit having sex with an anime girl wearing a Confederate battle flag bikini and cowboy hat. This is back dropped by a big American flag and the Confederate girl has a make America Great again butt tattoos. So getting some kind of conflicting messages there. But this Trump face is really not great. I really don't like it. See yeah, his eyes early squished together. In a lot of these, he's giving a thumbs up. I would say about half the images he's giving you know where that you know where that thumb's about to be right, Like that's part of what makes this unsettling.
Speaker 14: I really appreciate in this one that for his fingerprint, it's just like a spiral swirl.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's this.
Speaker 15: Yeah, not the best one, read us some comments.
Speaker 4: The comments for this one are quite good. Quote. I want to see more thick or flat blonde wife who's wearing a cowboy hat. I want to help make America to be great. This turned me on bigley and frankly.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've buried the lead, which is that I want to help America to be great was posted by hex Maniac undersco or poke or yeah, I'm guessing this is some sort of Pokemon obsessed slut witch. That's that's kind of many such cases. Taking this many such cases quite frankly made my peepy huge. And if people say this is not pretty, they are wrong. They are working for the socialist globalist democrats and Chinese government, and it's impossible to know if that's a joke.
Speaker 4: We have a really interesting one by an artist named L. G. L Eing. How I'm gonna say sorry.
Speaker 1: There's also the last post on that is why is the Coctus color?
Speaker 4: Yes, the last covet for the Confederate for the Confederate girl. What is why is the Coctus color? Which is quite funny, but we have the next one is actually a three panel spread. First is a Democrat donkey for Sona. The second part is a floating Donald Trump elephant head with like a propeller extending out of the top and a robot hand coming out of the trunk reaching for the donkey's ass. Lastly, the Trump elephant now has an extendable boxing glove trunk and is flying victoriously over the Donkey Democrat with a black eye.
Speaker 1: See they I like this more before we got into like domestic abuse territory.
Speaker 4: No, this is We're gonna get into a lot of problematic aspects. I will just say now if you don't want to listen to some kind of deeply troubling psycho sexual themes develop over the course, especially once we get to the A three section.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, okay, sorry, we need to talk about this post by user trash Fucker.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I don't wow. Okay, So this the.
Speaker 4: Comment, the comment for the donkey first, so no one says, quote I love you and your art, though, this really represents how that orange treated women and how he assaulted them by grabbing their genitut test. Beautiful art, beautiful styles. Thank you.
Speaker 15: If you can't spell genitals, you're not allowed to grab them. That is the law of the world.
Speaker 1: Now reading that post, I want more than anything to have Trump comment on some of these. Oh, get him up on the podium talking about this beautiful art, beautiful styles. They're saying, it's the most beautiful donkey pornography. Anybody's ever made on the dark web.
Speaker 4: A really bad one is a cartoon of Milo Ianopolis having sex with a hashtag never Trump Orthodox Jew who might be Ben Shapiro. I can't tell please, please, please until he supports building the wall as then, so as this is happening, on the background, a yasified Trump is sitting on the wall giving a thumbs up. This is by a Nazi cartoonist named Emily Usis here is here is yasified Trump thumbs up?
Speaker 1: He sure is, man.
Speaker 4: The cheeks are apple. It's the only way to describe it. Where is my Sophie. I don't think I can show you that image because it'll be an HR. I can't show you that part because it's too there's too much stuff going on.
Speaker 15: Okay, send it to me on signal later, Sophie, that's an HR violation.
Speaker 1: You're not allowed to ask here. I don't think.
Speaker 4: I barely look.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't have a great recall of the of the HR course we have to take every year about sexual harassment.
Speaker 4: But I am assure that you are both in violation of company that Robert, that is because you're like two years behind and all of your all of your man did work trainings.
Speaker 14: I get a notification in my email twice a day that Robert hasn't done some like legally required training.
Speaker 1: So maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you are both in violation of our companies.
Speaker 4: Probably.
Speaker 15: Probably, But these Trump drawings just get keep getting more bizarre.
Speaker 4: There's a really good one of an octopus doytal Trump getting intimate with a furry fox and cat. Well, I do want to see that, with the comment posted under from what I've known, Trump doesn't support these kind of things.
Speaker 1: That's probably true. I don't think he'd be thrilled about that.
Speaker 4: So there's a few other furry ones, notably one with Trump grabbing the buttocks of a wildcat with some with very small hands, and one of a sexy Trump plowing down Fluttershy in front of an American flag. Oh god, that makes Yeah, it's bad. Quote. I guess I'm not the only mega bronie out there. Also quote I want to end my life. Sorry, also quote I want my life to end right.
Speaker 15: FU me too, honey, me too. That's that's like a lot of Trump back. I did not need to see that much of his Sophie.
Speaker 4: There's so much more Trump back anyway, So results for Donald J. Trump specifically produced a handful of new images, one really bad one of Trump groping a family guy character.
Speaker 1: But which family guy cares character?
Speaker 4: Garrison, I've never seen family guy. It's some woman.
Speaker 15: There's also okay, sorry, is that his face as a ball sack?
Speaker 4: No, that's just his face.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that feels like that does feel like some kind of like standard lib political cartoon Trump drawing covered bronze areas.
Speaker 4: It's trying to be in the family guy style. There's also a cartoon of a of a of a naked, very very buff well endowed Donald Trump flexing while holding a cigar, sitting in his armchair, which has the really good comment his thumb is on the wrong side, which is that that's true.
Speaker 15: I just wile everyone to know about. Garrison has pged these for us.
Speaker 4: They're like PG.
Speaker 15: Thirteen, so we're not seeing anything.
Speaker 4: This is this, this is all, this is all above board. One of the worst ones, in my opinion, is a very very steamy rendering of a blushing Trump looking behind toward the viewer with his butt pushed into the foreground. MEGA is written across the cheeks in the upper left corner is a close up of a smooth scrotum stretched out hole Garrison.
Speaker 1: When it comes to HR violations, I feel like you can't say stretched out whole. I think that's forbidden on a company call. I don't think you're allowed to say tried.
Speaker 4: To really turn the script into like the most like academic word I can. There are text bubbles of Trump conversing with the viewer. Trump says, you will vote for me after this right, with the viewer responding yeah sure.
Speaker 1: In the board they can't even get somewhat excited about this election.
Speaker 4: Extra text with an arrow pointing to Trump reads ineligible to run again. This piece has by far the highest number of horny comments underneath the image. Now I think the actual worst when I discovered is a happy International Men's Day cartoon of Trump wearing an American flag thong standing on top of a box of noble Peace prizes.
Speaker 15: With thanks you for censoring that.
Speaker 4: Jesus with the Stephen with the Stephen Universe character Pearl in a bikini holding onto Trump, rubbing her leg against his thigh.
Speaker 1: Now see, and I don't feel like Pearl would do this.
Speaker 4: No, No, so Pearl has a text bubble saying forget women, I only make love to real men.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: Now, I wanted to learn more about why this image exists. The artist behind this creation is named Luke Weber, and he actually used to work on this show Steven Universe as a story artist.
Speaker 1: Oh god, so this is Cannon.
Speaker 4: No, Luke had really unhealthy Luke had a really unhealthy obsession with the lesbian character Pearl, and would often waste time at work by drawing really horny art of himself and Pearl in a relationship of his art of him and Pearl would include other co workers like Ian Jones, Corty, and show creator Rebecca Sugar. He allegedly gave Rebecca Sugar a drawing of having sex with Pearl, which allegedly got him fired from the show among many other reasons, and he's been blacklisted from large parts of the animation industry for sexual harassment and violence.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that was much worse than I thought it was going to do.
Speaker 15: I was like, this is bat Novis is really fucked up.
Speaker 4: Eh, so this this there's there's some bad stuff. Now, I say the best for last. There's a small collection of pieces riffing on that picture of Trump playing tennis where he looks all quote unquote caked up one uh with Trump in his tennis SciFIT is bending over pants down crackout with a variation of featuring two large what I'm gonna call dark skinned penises, I think Trump interracial bottoming is a is a trend that we'll see reoccurring here of course. Now, however, I believe the superior tennis piece is from an artist named Shad Bass, who might be a Nazi or just pretends to be one online. Cutting in here to do a quick correction. So originally in this episode identified a Shad Bass as a trans woman, which is not the case. The reason why I thought this is because the most recent picture appearing to be Shad based on his Twitter account from like a year ago, is him as a trans woman talking about getting on estrogen. Now, this was actually part of an ongoing joke that I just didn't have the context for, as he's like a really scummy and deeply problematic artist who I did not feel like doing a whole deep dive on so Apologies for that and back to the episode. But she has drawn Trump in the same post as the famous photo, but as an anime girl wearing a transparent tennis skirt with the comments underneath saying I'd vote for her and I don't have enough weed for this shit.
Speaker 1: Nobody does.
Speaker 15: That's what I was about to say about this recording.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know what we do have, Sophie, an ad break, an ad break.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we can all consume substances to get through the rest of this.
Speaker 4: Okay, we are back now. The most interesting thing I found on a Real thirty four is a political comic by a guy named Larry Weltz who makes this thing called Cherry Comics. He's like an old hippie cartoonist. This is a long running series, but these collection of panels are about a group of women using quote unquote weaponized sex to bring to bring down Donald Trump. One page depicts the main character, Cherry, breaking into the White House like a quote unquote sex ninja to quote Fuckum to death unquote. One plotline has Cherry using her love powers to make all of the riot police at a twenty twenty protest to take off their riot gear and start having gay sex with each other through the power of love. Now, in the main panel, Cherry seduces a very unflattering Trump from the bushes of a golf course. Quote grab some uh this py word, Pretend I'm your daughter unquote. She gets trumped to chase her naked through a golf course, and when he's about to grab her, she disappears with the accompanying on a monopea twink, which I think is completely unintentional, naked into a face full of mud. I think this comic is actually good natured, but it's still kind of really problematic and very boomer.
Speaker 14: Pretend I'm your daughter, So they're like rooting for Trump to insst fa.
Speaker 4: There is a lot we will get to this. There is a lot of a Vanka Trump weird incest shit. It is deeply upsetting. Like I said, I put the content warning further up because there's gonna be some really bad psychosexual shit that I tried to really like clean up here. But yeah, this like boomer hippie cherry comic thing is really weird because it's very like nominally liberal, but it also has like really like classically racist cartoon depictions of black people. Oh great, It's just it's just a lot anyway. So but I again, I was kind of surprised that tags for Trump only returned like a few a few Trump images. When I started just quote unquote Trump on roll thirty four, most of the results were for a furry Japanese webcomic that's over one hundred and twenty pages. Because I think the artist just goes by the name Trump, He's completely unrelated, and I was really just expecting more stuff. I checked Dvan art and it was largely barren of Trump themed not safe for work images. Now, just as I was about to give up and I thought maybe there's not enough for an episode, my my primal Zoomer brain activated. It's like it's like something deep in my core knew what had to be done. Rival Zoomer. That's what I logged into the website archive of our own, the most popular fiction website on the Internet. There are over one thousand and seven hundred works titled tagged with Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: It's like the right number.
Speaker 4: Now, not all that's porn or erotica, right, So I had to really whittle down the results based on my own judgment and to my own tastes. Now, I had a very specific focus on the genre of old man yowie, which, of course you conveniently was also what the majority of the Trump centric works that were like rated, M and explicit could be categorized.
Speaker 1: As of course they were.
Speaker 4: Let's start our journey by going over the most popular Donald Trump relationship pairings and any guesses for what. The first one is like Donald Trump X, like who you know what, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna swing for the fences here and say Condoeza Rice.
Speaker 4: Sorry in a wrong Yeah, that was that was always a Sophie coming to the ste.
Speaker 15: I mean, unfortunately, I kind of think it's probably Avanka.
Speaker 7: It is not.
Speaker 4: It's not Avokavanka and Hillary had very few, so few that they're not even notable and not even in my list. The number one pairing for Donald Trump is Joe Biden with what one hundred and ninety two works? You know, that's what we deserve as a country. The number two is Vladimir Putin with one hundred and four. Number three, okay, number three is Shrek with thirty four works. Sorry, that's sorry, that is number four. Number four is Shrek. Number three is Barack Obama with thirty seven works.
Speaker 1: Well, that's less Obama than I expected of it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that was my point.
Speaker 4: Number five is Kim Jong un with twenty.
Speaker 1: Four k the that's the exact number of Kim Jong owd once I expect.
Speaker 4: We have twelve works that are titled Donald Trump X Reader. Seven of them are Trump and Jesus Christ, six are Donald Trump Kanye West, five are Adolf Hitler Donald Trump, and two are Teletubbies and Donald Trump. Forty one works are titled as or tagged as bottom Donald Trump Wow Wow, far outnumbering the numbers where he tops.
Speaker 14: So I'm actually really surprised by only seven for Jesus because I'm kind.
Speaker 1: Of curious about the cheese.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Robert, I have I had great news for you.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: We don't have the time, nor do I have the willpower to go through each and every one of these, so instead I like to highlight some of the plot summaries, tags, and select paragraphs that caught my eye to give you a taste of the horror that I've gazed upon. I'll start with one of the newest entries in the Cannon, titled Donald Trump Prison Era. I'm gonna start with a time skip quote. It's been four years since Trump was rejailed. Him and his friends were locked in the safest, most desolate place in the prison. They may not have freedom, but at least they have each other. During those four years, Ben Shapiro was thrown in prison too. He was very silent at what he had done and therefore distanced himself from everybody. I don't know what he did, but he must have done something to ruin him as a person, Warren Buffett said, and everyone nodded. Is he one of Trump's friends? We have each other at least will be fine in this jail. Elongated muskrat said, Trump was cuddling with Andrew Tate in the corner.
Speaker 1: This is the closest I've come for feeling bad for Andrew Tate.
Speaker 15: I for the record, I still don't feel bad for Andrew Tait.
Speaker 4: Another one which is Trump ex reader. The summary is quote. It began four years ago when you saw him on TV during the presidential inauguration. You were laying on your bed, listening to country music on you American bedsheet. Suddenly you saw his big, handsome orange face and you knew he had to be yours. So in this one, the reader gets to marry or get with Trump in some way, and then you kind of like plan the January sixth insurrection together. So that's a fun one. There's a really good one titled Trump poly Relationship with the tags Joe Biden, Brock Obama, Obama, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Sonic the Hedgehog, enemies to lovers see.
Speaker 1: I feel like only Sonic the Hedgehog of that group as the communication skills necessary for a successful polyamorous relationship.
Speaker 4: There's another one that's tagged as Donald Trump, Kanye West, BoJack Horseman.
Speaker 1: Of course I feel you know, BoJack, would you get him drunk enough, he'd get on with that.
Speaker 4: And there's really like there's two big genres here. There's the genre that's just like regular smut, where you feel like someone's just like a controlled f to all of the names and like just like switched it around, versus the fan fits that are entrenched in world building that integrates erotic literature with the world of Donald Trump. And those are the ones I like to focus on more because you know, it's not universe exactly. You know, it's not just someone control effing just like a regular sex scene. I wanted to actually like, I want to have lore, I want world building. I need to be connected to what.
Speaker 1: The story titled Donald Trump's Monstrous dick that you've put in this document.
Speaker 4: No, I'm gonna skip over that one. Actually we don't have enough creat Oh okay, this is just a woman talking about how she finds his orange, shiny body attractive, which there's a lot of that kind of stuff, right, I'm gonna instead go to Where the Wind Blows by Just and lone three summary. Joe Biden is a seventeen year old senior who happens to the top of his class. Not as the perfect straight, a capable student to friends and family, but what happens when a new student who got kicked out of his old school for fights gets partnered up with him for tutoring. I'm actually gonna skip to chapter two titled what the Sigma?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, oh, my god.
Speaker 4: Quote. After about two hours they finished their study session, Joe went out to a cafe with his childhood friends Brock and Bury the Bee Benson just imagine Bury the Bee to be six feet tall. The three of them talk at a booth inside when the topic of Donald brought up. Joe, bro Dude, I heard that Donald got kicked out of his old school for selling illegal stuff and getting into three fights per week at least Barry said in a hushed tone. Has he tried to hurt you at all? Do need help? Is he meeting up with a secret gang or something? Barry uttered under his breath as his wings slightly flapped.
Speaker 1: What the fuck? So he's a literal b wait?
Speaker 14: So no, no, no, no, no, Barry the Bee Benson is the Jerry Seinfeld Bee movie?
Speaker 4: Be correct?
Speaker 15: I'm might wait? No really joking, Robert, Yes, yes.
Speaker 4: We got back.
Speaker 15: Why fucking b movie?
Speaker 1: Somehow Jerry's I can't escape jerrys idfelt. No matter where I go, He's always there. Even in Trump pornography, Jerry follows me.
Speaker 4: Barry, you're overreacting, Brock said as he rubbed the inner of his eyes with his pointer fingers. I'm sure Joe can handle himself. He's almost eighteen. Besides, can we talk about something else, like how Drake and Kendrick got caught making out under the bleachers. I'm pretty sure they hated each other just three weeks ago, or at least Kendrick hated Drake after he dated the freshman. There's one called Election Day where Shrek tries to prevent you from voting and Trump shows up as like a superhero. There's some like isis jokes, refugee jokes. Anyway, there's some there's some funny lines in here.
Speaker 1: To be sure, it is Donald Trump who is your hero. His intense alpha stare disintegrates the rest of Shrek's body, leaving you covered dot dot dot. Donald pulls his pants back on.
Speaker 4: Yeah so Yeahrek, Yeah. Anyway. There's a really troubling one titled Under the Crooked Lamp, which is tagged with American history fandom, World War II fandom, Nazi Germany fandom. The summary is quote short smut about Adolf Hitler and Donald Trump, with cameos from Barack Obama and Kanye West. So there you go, now, I The one of the most popular Donald Trump benfix is titled Donald Trump Story. Quote. I walked past the door of the Oval Office, No, my office, my house. Finally, the White House, the only race that should be here unquote. So not off to a great start. Throughout this fick. Trump falls in love with a Mexican architect that he hired to build the wall. That's the whole bit, now, Robert, I know you said you were interested in Jesus Christ.
Speaker 15: Of course is yeah, he is kind of.
Speaker 4: The most popular Jesus Christ. One I could find is called Jesus X Trump pussy Sure the uh. The summary is Trump kicks the bucket and has a very interesting surprise waiting for him. Chapter one, Trumpy Dumpty meets sky Daddy.
Speaker 15: Oh my god, I'm so worried about our society.
Speaker 4: So Trumpet Trump gets assassinated and to his surprise, gets sent to heaven. He thought he was going to be going to hell with gay people on Hillary Clinton, but instead Jesus is waiting for him, and Jesus says, be prepared for the right of your life or death. You are a bad little slut on earth and it's time for you to pay for your sins. My little Trump was sy I hope you're ready anyway.
Speaker 1: I kind of hate that they stole my catchphrase.
Speaker 4: Now by chapter seven, Donald Trump is pregnant. There's eight chapters in this.
Speaker 7: Kid.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, that's that's all you need to present to get someone fifty one fifty Like that's an involuntary mental health hold right there.
Speaker 4: Speaking of pregnancy, there's a very popular or the most popular.
Speaker 15: Go to an ad break speaking of pregnancy.
Speaker 4: Speak the most popular Donald Trump Xaydalf Hitler. One is titled Warped Tour A Great Place for Home of Hobes to mate hot guys. It's set at this music.
Speaker 1: Festival about wharfed Tour It's Not Wrong, where.
Speaker 4: Adolf Hitler and Donald tr are both there to like disrupt like a gay concert and they have like a little meet cute. Trump invites invites Hitler back to the back to his hotel room to come up with new plans for how to try to harass gay people. And it ends with Adolf Hitler being impregnated. But Trump is not a supportive parent, so Joseph Goebelers has to help deliver the child with Hitler instead of Trump.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I gotta say, at least they get the personalities right, because Joseph, Joseph is the kind of guy who would who would come in at the clutch like that to help Hitler deliver his lust baby.
Speaker 4: There's there's two decently popular Trump x Biden ones that are set during presidential debates, one of which they fuck backstage. And I don't think five thousand hits, I don't. Okay, no one gets pregnant in this one, but there are certainly others, so there's one where they have sex backstage, and then there's another one where they have sex on stage and Chris Wallace is moderating.
Speaker 1: Someone should let him know.
Speaker 4: Oh, and then in chapter two, Donald Trump gives birth because he got he got imprinted on stage.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think, Garrison, you need to do your job as a journalist, and we need to We need to reach out to Chris Wallace and ask, theoretically, would he narrate Donald Trump sex with Joe Biden they if they were to do that on stage, how does he feel about that?
Speaker 4: I will go to the very last one with sixty five thousand hits, by far, the most popular Donald Trump kind of erotica smut on the whole website. It's called go Fuck Yourself Donald Trump by orphan underscore account, who's actually written a few of the ones that we've talked about here.
Speaker 1: Sixty five thousand views.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Published in twenty seventeen, just before in Auguration day. Quote another person told me to go fuck myself today. Donald Trump told his strong Russian lover Vladimir Putin. I want to, but it's importants. There's only one of me. So the first paragraph is about how Putin forces Trump to eat three tubs of crisco a day. It's basically just body shaming for the majority of this of this piece sounds like too yes totally. And then Putin presents a clone of Donald Trump. Quote its eyes were almost as lifeless as Donald's himself. That was the true perfection of this creature. He's gorgeous, Trump said, tears sliding down his face. He felt as if he was looking into the mirror. But when he reached to touch his reflection, his his hands met soft clammy skin. Thank you, daddy. Trump eagerly began kissing his clone, pushing his tongue past slack lips until it learned to respond to him. Each hungrily tried to devour the other, their bodies writhing against each other, tears rolling down their faces in unison as they realized that neither one could ever fill the empty void that they felt inside. So that is my extremely abridged version of my AO three adventure. And unfortunately I do have one more section, but it's a bit shorter that we will get to after the break. For some of the more kind of I would say mainstream Trump pornography that can be found on the internet.
Speaker 1: Finally, all right, we are so back.
Speaker 4: We have never been more back. So I've been to you know, the regular zoomer places, right, we have like you know, DV and art type stuff. We have AO three. And then I realized that boomers also watch poor So I went to the two most popular porn websites, something I've never done before, and I there's only around thirty Trump centric videos across both sites. Now, there is a decent sort of like repeat uploads, right, and there's some videos that are just cut into shorter clips from longer scenes. But there's only about thirty source videos that I could find across the two top porn sites.
Speaker 15: Question, is it because they're being censored or is he nons with somebody that.
Speaker 4: No, it's just it's just not the most popular thing interesting. And now I would argue Trump is probably one of the more sexualized presidents we've we've had in recent years because of his which he.
Speaker 14: Makes because of who he is, not because of his sex appeal.
Speaker 4: Because of how he looks, but because of like his personal background and all of his you know, very obvious sex crimes. Right, Like we can go with like Bill Clinton, but like Trump, Trump is so much more sexualized than like Bush or Obama. It's it's it's it's kind of interesting, and yet very few materials on these sites now so weird. There's a few different types here.
Speaker 7: We have.
Speaker 4: We have animated ones, which is what I first went through. Some of these are just like voiceover clips of someone playing a porn game and doing voiceover for dialogue. Now, all of these are narrated in one take, and it's very clear the voice of over per and has not reviewed the material at all prior to their courting, because they will often and sentences at the wrong spot, breaking the flow of the dialogue. So that is one genre. There is a really upset anyone titled storby Daniels ex Trump cartoon hen Ti causeplay Milk with eleven thousand views, which has the worst most creepy looking PlayStation.
Speaker 1: Level What is happening? Holy oh?
Speaker 15: He looks like a corpse, but also is little like Clinton.
Speaker 4: Like these these three D models are fucking in what looks like a college dorm room. Trump is wearing his suit jacket and red tie with leather shoes but nothing else. And something I can't show you but I found really upsetting is that his legs are about as twice as big as his body, but with tiny feet. Like his legs are so much wider than the rest of him, they're huge. It's really concerning, and I don't think it's on purpose. It's just like a really bad three D model. So weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's upsetting.
Speaker 4: In one of the in one of the video game type ones, when Trump is orgasming, he says, ah bing bing bong bong bing bing bing.
Speaker 1: I just thought I should you.
Speaker 4: Big indeed, I now so onto live action.
Speaker 1: The first ive.
Speaker 4: The first live action one is a bit of an outlier. It is titled Donald Trump Parody clip Smoking and Drinking in the Oval Office Lol, with about two thousand and six hundred views. It's a woman cause playing a gender bent Trump and just like casually monologuing at the camera for like eighteen minutes. At one point she takes off her suit jacket and unbuttons her shirt, but not in like a strip teas way. At eleven minutes in she quote unquote rubs one out her words while continuing the half in character, ranting it was it's kind of a weird outlier, but I thought to mention it. Now onto the two major genres of Trump porn, the first one being the debate orgy Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton fucking Bernie Sanders and Megan Kelly parody. This one has a combined total of over of almost eight million.
Speaker 15: Views wave Bernie alone.
Speaker 4: This is christ This is the most popularly Donald Trump pornographic work on the internet.
Speaker 1: Oh no, the Bernie they got is kind of hot. I think we're good.
Speaker 4: This one, oddly enough, focuses on Bernie more than Trump. I think because the Bernie.
Speaker 15: Accident, because he's more fuckable.
Speaker 4: Because the Birdie actor did a really good job. Okay, and also this was this was like a live stream that's been edited together into a video, So the audience, like on the chat, was responding to Bernie Moore, so he got way more of the attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just uses charisma.
Speaker 14: The sound qualities is carraboozes right now, Robert Jesus.
Speaker 4: The sound quality is terrible. Everyone's slowly reading off scripts and not even trying to hide it at all. Trump says he's going to build a wall around Mexico and install one big glory hole, which isn't how a glory hole works.
Speaker 1: No, I mean it could be.
Speaker 4: Hillary has asked if she thinks she might fall to the same infidelities as her husband, and Hillary explains that the Clinton family has a rule that whatever happens in the Oval office doesn't count unquote.
Speaker 1: That actually might be a Clinton family rule.
Speaker 4: All of the actors except for Bernie, look really uncomfortable the entire time. At one point they switched to like an unscripted Q and a section using like the live stream and it all reads like high school improv but obviously like not with high schoolers, not for high schoolers, but just like it is so awkward. About halfway through the twenty minute video, Megan Kelly asks Trump if you would like to improve his personal rating among married women as they start having sex, and then Hillary says, quote, I'd rather fuck the party than the enemy, and calls on Bernie. There is a lot of feel the burn jokes in here, so.
Speaker 1: Many, there's a couple of good there. We should We should figure out that burn party actor though, get them on the pod, honestly. Staff.
Speaker 4: The second most popular one is titled Erection to twenty sixteen Donald trumpf Fox Hillary Clinton during debate. It has over five million views. Once again, we start with a build a wall bit, but at this time it's Hillary who makes a move on Trump. The third most popular one is called cream Pie Debate. This is the closest one in the entire collection. It has three to a half million views. Much more accurate ages, but the impressions are really bizarre. Like they all have like weird accents. I can't quite tell where they're from, but they all sound there.
Speaker 1: Almost certainly somewhere in eastern Europe.
Speaker 4: No, they're American.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: Trump waves around a gun on the debate stage, talking about Hillary wants to take away the Second Amendment. He points the gun at her, threatens to blow the wench away because she's trying to rig the election. The winch, the wench. That's a quote, when and calls her crooked Hillary with quote unquote crooked genitals.
Speaker 9: You know, he.
Speaker 4: Actual Trump might say that at some point. But you can kind of see how the video will develop from here right right now. I was not prepared for how racist it would get. Trump gets like this, this like dark dildo, and it starts screaming and growling in like a really upsetting fashion. There's a whole bunch of really racist comments. Hillary implies that she took part in all of the sexual growling. It's the best. It's the best word I could find to describe the sea.
Speaker 1: I think, I think I get what Garrison is.
Speaker 14: I was gonna say, I noted, don't expand uh yeah.
Speaker 4: Hillary talks about how she took part in all of Bill Clinton's sexual escapades and then uses a strap on on Donald Trump, but it's simulated. They don't actually do it in the clip, so minus points for that. The actor for Trump makes some really interesting faces, and at the end of the video, Hillary shoots out Trump's votes from her ballot box, which covers Trump's face in the rejected votes, which he wipes off with an American flag, something that multiple commenters took great offense to. Not the rest of the video, but the fact that he wipes it off with an American flag seemed to really upset some people.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 4: The guy that made this created four other Trump themed porn videos, a Deep Throat Diplomacy where Trump dribes the president of Mexico to pay for the wall by offering a quote beautiful white woman who happens to be Trump's daughter, Avanka. He makes another Avanka one called Bobblehead butt Plug, which I think is pretty self explanatory. The third one is Trump and Obama's Daughter, which I skipped through mostly because it was really gross. And the last one's called Cuckold Trump with again three and a half million views. And this one has President and Obama and the Secret Service breaking into Trump Tower where Trump and Blaney are sleeping in bed, and then a cuck scene unfolds, once again very racist. We're nearing the end, I can I can see the tunnel at the end. We're now going to get to the last debate, one called Donald Tramp in the White House. This is going to be huge. With only a quarter of a million views, pretty low, but seventy percent up voted, So there you go. Now, in this one, Trump is doing a solo debate by himself, kind of predicting how he would handle the Republican primary in.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty four ahead of its time.
Speaker 4: But in the context of the video, it's basically just a journalist that's interviewing him. So after some like, you know, very very typical haha, Trump is racist type jokes, the skit turns oddly poigniant, where Trump kind of starts whispering and says, quote, I'm using my ranting billionaire charm to win you over. First, I'm going to tell you that America is really lost and I'm the one to find it. And then you will be drawn to all of my ideas like a very special episode of Shark Tank. And then I will tell you how all the other candidates are stupid, idiotic morons, and you'll be left wondering is he trying to get his subrenet band or is everything he's saying really what he means. Now, let's have sex. As I whisper racist comments into your ear unquote this Trump actor. The hair is too orange. The hair is too orange.
Speaker 15: Everything's too orange.
Speaker 4: He's really orange. They're really into making him orange. But the hair is just way too red. So that is the that's the that's the like the main category, which is like these like debate ones. But there's a second category which is almost equal in numbers. And this is this is the last genre of work we'll be talking about, and it's the one I find the most telling. It's it's they're all a very distinct type of like amateur video of a man in a low quality Trump mask getting beaten up, downed, pegged, interrogated, or otherwise humiliated by women. Now, these these have anywhere from like four hundred views to twenty five thousand views, so they're watched less, but the people that are making them seem really passionate. We have titles like Trump gets a Donkey punched by two sexy women, one hundred percent Real, sixty FBS ten.
Speaker 15: EVP or one hundred percent Real.
Speaker 4: Or make America beg Again, Kick my Ass President Trump, and I think most evidently two beautiful femdoms humiliate, feminize, and peg sissy in Donald Trump mask. So, okay, do you want to see the collection of masks before or after I talk about this genre? I'm gonna save it for after, and it never I'm gonna save it for after. So I've gone through like these these three different kind of medium series in this in this episode, right, we have we have uh like the drawn art, We have AO three fan fic, and we have this like you know, more classic pornography live action stuff. And each each of these has different aspects that I believe are are clearly tied to the medium, right, like like furry stuff for drawn art, the largely homosexual pairings oft AO three and the normy hetero misogyny of classic pornography. But I'm more interested in when some of these kind of medium specific aspects intersect and how that might tell us something about what's really going on here. So, based on all the evidence I reviewed the past five days, I'm gonna split the Donald Trump pornographic catalog into two main kind of thematic sections, the two genders, if you will. First, we have Trump the strong man right. This is either propagated by like people on the right who genuinely admire Trump as like a dominant dictator, thus like displaying sexual submission to him is like a righteous duty, or like a sign of respect or a quest for validation. Alternatively, this strong men framing can also be used, and I would argue more perversely by liberals in some form of like a post irony desire for subjugation stemming from a like a neoliberal disenfranchisement or like neoliberal nihilism. Having a like a Freudian father figure you deeply despise strengthens the taboo aspect of repressed desire for the inherent domination of authoritarianism. I think the master slave kink is very common in the Trump AO three fix, presumably mostly written by people on the left, and this type of thing I think can be vulgarly tied to like the Lord Bondsman dialectic at play in this sort of politic, which is like defined by and desiring what you cannot be, So we have that plus all like the fucked up yet very common incest framing strengthens these kind of psychoanalytic links. But enough of that babble to contrast Trump the strong Man. The other major category is Trump the defiled, which is exceedingly popular on Rule thirty four AO three, and this kind of later category of femdom porn videos. This is like a revenge fantasy. It's uncaring in its embrace of problematic tropes so long as Trump is symbolically stripped of what signals his status of power. This often includes a misogynistic embrace of social norms that reflect authoritarian patriarchy. Trump is feminized mostly through actions to signal that he is lesser right. He's a masculated, penetrated, dominated, assaulted, and very often impregnated. Even death is no escape for in the eye after life, Jesus Christ continues the holy work of Trump's psychosexual humiliation. The hope is that the Catharsists will be found in putting the image of Trump through the types of things that the actual Trump has done to others, perhaps with some kind of perverse pleasure in this role reversal of now being the one to subject Trump to such experiences even through fiction. Now, I'm not necessarily saying all this stuff is bad or there are plenty of materials that I've reviewed that I do object to, but this mostly does fall under the guise of play and kink, which can be valid and often useful ways of sorting through psychosexual or psychological affairs. And obviously throughout a lot, if not most of these works, there is a large comedic element, but I think such comedy is still underpinned by some of these maybe deeper motivations. And to detox from that rant, here's a collection of really uncomfortable Trump mask pictures which, oh my, I have so many, I have so many of these. I have a whole collage, a whole alage of this.
Speaker 1: It's really I've got hr on the other line here, So we're gonna we're gonna actually swing over to a separate zoom call to talk through some of this.
Speaker 4: These looks so.
Speaker 14: Bad, it's the Iheartedaddy shirt with the horrible Trump mask.
Speaker 4: It's so bad. No, it's like it's weirdly trans misogynistic for all of all of these ones in the mask. It's just there's a deep he's a deep uncanny. He looks like he looks melting.
Speaker 1: David Bowie does bottom once it looks like the thin white Duke.
Speaker 4: If the thin white Duke like, oh God, got coke bloated or something terrifying stuff. I will I will post some of these mask images onto Twitter so you can check that on at Hungry bow Tie.
Speaker 7: I will.
Speaker 4: I will reply once this episode drops with with these awful with you with these awful collages I've created? Anyway, Robert, what what do you think about all this Trump porn again?
Speaker 1: I think we're all going to get fired for doing this episode. I think this has crossed every professional line that exists. But good work.
Speaker 15: Other than that, I was gonna say, I think yours serve is a really big race.
Speaker 9: I was.
Speaker 4: I was really proud I was able to sneak in a little bit of Hagel there at the end.
Speaker 9: I was.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 4: I was really proud of that one.
Speaker 15: I can say one thing for sure, you can do a follow up.
Speaker 1: That's all of the hegel porn Really curious how much of that you can fight.
Speaker 14: What's exciting, what's exciting about this entire thing is Trump would fucking hate it, just like he hates all of his followers.
Speaker 4: In his core many such cases. Well, thank you for joining us on this deeply disturbing journey.
Speaker 1: I love to see it.
Speaker 4: Don't do this, thankfully, you only have.
Speaker 14: To listen to it.
Speaker 4: You'll you'll only have to listen to me explain it now, So now you don't have to fulfill this curiosity that I know has been bubbling in a lot of you.
Speaker 1: So there you are, and check back in next week. We'll be covering all of the best Hegelian pornography that the Internet can provide.
Speaker 15: Take a long weekend.
Speaker 11: Hi, everyone, it's me James, and I just wanted to read you this today. I'm going to put it in our episode this week because it's a cause that's important to us, and so we thought it would be something that might be important to you too as well. On the tenth of June twenty twenty four, Leonard Peltier, an enrolled member of the Turtle Band of Chippewa of Lakota and Ajibwei ancestry and the longest serving political prisoner in the United States, will be appearing before the US Parole Commission for the first time since two thousand and nine. He faces staunch opposition from the FBI and other law enforcement agencies due to having allegedly killed two FBI agents in a firefight on the twenty sixth of June nineteen seventy five, after the agents appeared on reservation land to execute a pretextural warrant. The initial firefight occurred during the quote reign of Terror on Pine Ridge in the wake of the occupation of Wounded Kney, a time of extreme violence when federal law enforcement installed a puppet tribal chair and was arming vigilantes who targeted and as traditionalists. Every since leading up to these events, as well as subsequent investigation and mister Peltier's extradition, trial, conviction, and sentencing, were characterized by gross misconduct on the part of law enforcement, the prosecution, and the courts. Mister Peltier's co defendants were separately tried and acquitted on grounds of self defense. Mister Peltier was railroaded and his case is tainted by discrimination at every level, ranging from the withholding of exculpatory evidence to the torture and coercion of extradition and trial witnesses, and from the refusal of the judge to dismiss and vowedly racist Dura, to the apologetic gymnastics of the courts affirming his convictions in the face of meritorious legal challenges had admitted evidence of outrageous government misdeeds. Mister Peltier has been in prison for more than forty eight years and he's almost eighty years old. He suffers from chronic and potentially lethal conditions for which he receives insufficient and substandard medical care. If you want to take acttion to hashtag free Lennard Peltier, you can call the US Parole Commission at two zero two three four six seven zero zero zero, and if you'd like to find more information on how to support, you can go to this r L. It's h T T P colon slash slash n d n C O dot c c slash Free Leonard Peltier. That's f ir E E L E O n A R D P E L t I E R, or you can follow n d N Collective on social media for more ways to support him, more information on Lennard Peltier. Listen to Margaret's podcast on the Lakota Nation, a read in the Spirit of the Crazy Horse by Peter Mathison.
Speaker 1: Hey, We'll be back Monday, with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 15: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 14: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at Coolzonmedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening,