Speaker 1: Aos fans welcome in another edition of Birdland Territory with Steve, Brad, Tim and a special guest today, former Oriole, Mark Trumbo. And you know, I don't like saying former Oriole. I think when you have guys like Brad Brock and Mark around, they're Orioles. If they played here, they're always Orioles. That's the way we feel about these guys in Baltimore. They don't have to be on the current team. So we got Orioles with us today, Brad and Mark and Marcus with one of the shows in our family of networks, if you will. Of course, Stout Territory is the national show, Birdland Territory is the Oriel Show, and Halo Territory covers the Angels and Mark's been doing that.
Speaker 2: So Mark, how you enjoying media life.
Speaker 3: It's been a lot of fun, a lot of learning involved, made some mistakes as you would expect, but tried not to make them twice and it's a whole different world, a lot more respect for this side of things. Trying to cover stories accurately. Sometimes they're not the most pleasant stories. Following the action. I mean, you have to pivot quite quickly at times. It could, at least for us planning episodes, and you know, we kind of have this and then the team comes back out of nowhere and you know, recovers from a seven run deficit and you have to go to a different storyline. So a lot more appreciation for how hard some of this stuff is. But we just try and cover things as we see it. Don't pull on any punches, but you know, not unfair either, and it's been fun so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're thrilled to have you.
Speaker 1: I want these other guys that jump in with questions from Mark Trumbo of course, was traded to the Orioles December of twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: And what a first year you had. Mark.
Speaker 1: Not only did you leave the Oriols in homers, you led major League Baseball in homers with forty seven if I remember correctly. I remember interviewing you early in the year and you gave me some great insights on your winter work. And you were telling me at that time, remember we're going back ten years about things like launch angle and exit velocity and things you were seeking which were new to me. Maybe not the baseball players then now they're really obviously everybody hears it all.
Speaker 2: The time in baseball.
Speaker 1: But do I remember that correctly that you had kind of worked on some things that winter, and then man, when the season started.
Speaker 2: They worked. You are correct.
Speaker 3: I don't know how much I expanded upon them, but there were some goals in mind. I knew that this is I mean, it was a primitive time as far as the stuff goes. So I think over that winner. I come off a season, an interesting season. I had got traded from the Diamondbacks to the Mariners. I got some really good advice from Edgar Martinez in Seattle, and it helped me become a better hitter, at least on pitches on the inside part of the plate, which had always been fairly big weakness of mine. But I knew I didn't hit the ball in the air quite enough. I cringe now because long angle, exit velocity, they're just everywhere. I think most at least me in particular a little bit fatigue hearing them. But at that time I kind of thought that that was something I could improve upon. Fortunately it did work out in twenty sixteen, especially to my advantage, to the Oriels advantage as well. So that was a great memory and it gave me a background piece here so my loan, well, I guess I got two ones off camera, but yeah, it was my best season statistically and a great experience.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mark, just kind of going on twenty sixteen. I know, for me, one of my favorite memories was getting to go to San Diego with you, Zach wieders Man. He just got to have that All Star experience with guys on our team. But most particular was the home run derby. If just any memories you have from and that, to me, that was one of my favorite memories of the whole experience, was getting to watch you go out there. It's just I mean, it's a action packed a couple of minutes. I'm sure you were tired as you're going through that. It's a very unusual type thing. But just any experience you have from the home Run Derby, in particular during that All Star experience, So.
Speaker 3: I think I'm still tired from it, to be honest with you. That was the time format I had done the other one as well, the previous one with the outs. I much preferred that the time one was grueling, and towards the end of it, I felt like something was going to blow a bleak or otherwise. I mean, it's just a lot of swings, a lot of maps, efforts swings, so it's not really something. I mean, you can try and prepare a little bit, but you can't nail it and if you do well in it, and you I think I had to work quite hard in the first round to take Corey Seeger out and that was a lot more work than I want to do. Some guys are able to breeze through, and then Stanton I I think sent me packing and maybe soon after. So I think it was a fun experience. It was something. It's way more for the fans. There is some prize money and stuff on the line.
Speaker 2: Now, but.
Speaker 3: It is nerve wracking too.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: You kind of do realize once you're up there and there's no turtle. I think that's the weirdest thing. As you're hitting out in practice in the game, you know you're used to it, but in that situation and it kind of dawns on you how many people might be watching at home, and you just you try and I mean, you don't want to be embarrassed at the end of the day, so you just try and put on a good show. And that one I think I did do that didn't win it, but especially down in San Diego too, that was a rock and environment. I think you'd agree, Brad, really fun place to host something like that.
Speaker 4: Mark.
Speaker 5: It's always a topic of conversation every single year following the home run derby, like, oh.
Speaker 4: My gosh, don't do it.
Speaker 5: It's gonna mess up your swinging the lasting effects from it. Is that overblown to you, Mark? Or is there maybe something to that.
Speaker 3: As far as guys changing their swings or affecting them as they move forward. Yeah, yeah, there's probably evidence on both sides of it. I think some guys do it, and you know, we're having great seasons and continue to have great seasons. I think sometimes things do go the other way. The advice I would give is my Drought, for example, has expressed a little bit of open willingness at least to do it this year in Philadelphia. He has never done it before. I think he probably wants to possibly explore doing it once in his career. He's from that area. This would make a lot of sense. He is also injured right now, so that's something to look at. I think that, like Pete Alonzo, I mean, it just doesn't that's him all day long. I've never seen anyone better at it than him, and it doesn't seem to affect his in game. But if and it does affect it, it it's in a positive way. I think that if there's anyone that could probably give advice on the subject, it's Pete A. Lonzo.
Speaker 1: Mark Trumbo's with us, Mark and Brad Orioles as I called him, not former Orioles. And of course we were talking about that twenty sixteen All Star Game, and Mark has been an All Star twice, twenty twelve and twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Mark and Brad two of the Orioles five All Star reps that year. Silver Slugger winner in twenty sixteen. And so Mark, let's talk about Taylor Ward, a little bit guy you've seen play a lot for the Angels the last few years, had that incredible season last year, comes to Baltimore. I think the media would say, Man, we love this guy. He's been great to deal with. I think he won the good Guy Award from the Angels media. I can see why. And so the power has been slow to come. There might be some reasons for that. At what kind of player was he with the Angels? The last few years, Taylor was very consistent. Numbers were, at least on the power side, always very impressive.
Speaker 3: The batting average was respectable in today's really actually maybe a little above average, depending on how the game keeps trending. But but really he was counted on to hit, clean up, provide some protection, drove in a ton of runs. But in the outfield defense was at times a little perplexing it. I would say I would have rated him as probably an average defender. The arm maybe a little below at times, but I think the metrics always looked more favorably than that. I think he did play a nice left field. He was always in the right spot, so I think he did his homework and that in that regard. And he was patient at the plate, sometimes too much. So there are a lot of strike three lookings that at least the Angel fans at times would implore him to take the bat off the shoulder. But that's part of the deal. It's part of the trade off of being a guy that walks upon you. I think the new mindset is to let the umpire decide with the pitch challenging. That's been interesting too. I don't know how it's gone for the Orioles exactly. But the Angels have done well, not that great a job at least from the hitters that are challenging. So as far as Taylor this season, it appears the walks are through the roof and the home runs are a little bit down. Do you guys have any thoughts on why that might be? Brad?
Speaker 2: Do you see anything?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't know. If he got hurt. He got hit with a pitch in April and he started wearing a heavy pad on his left hand, and from there it was his plate discipline was through the roof. He just wasn't swinging and he was walking. I mean, it felt like he was walking at least once every single game. To me, lately, he's been seeming to be lee a little bit more aggressive, so I think he's starting to get the power back a little bit. He had a home run the other day at Dodger Stadium, so we're hoping to see a little bit more from that from him in that regard. But to me, it just kind of seemed like early on it was just it's hurt is the only way I can kind of see that something was bothering with his hand. He just wasn't able to get to the inside pitch and drive it, especially came the yards, you know, how the ball flies there. So it's it just hasn't seemed to be quite as aggressive. But it's starting to change here a little bit the last couple of weeks, so hopefully the power will be come from there. But you probably know more than anybody, a hand injury that you play through, you're able to play through. He's probably got to be one of the most difficult things as a hitter. If you know you're not going to go on the il, but you're feeling it every swing you take. It's you know, certain pitches that you're just not going to go after anymore because you can't drive it. So that's just kind of what we've seen a little bit, and what I've seen from watching him throughout these games.
Speaker 3: I think that makes a lot of sense. He's a guy that really too. He will go on these streaks where you get the end of the year total thirty plus home runs and sometimes you know, it seems like there's patches where there weren't that many, but he'll bunch them up, you know, hit seven, eight, nine, in a matter of you know, fourteen days, fifteen days or something, or a months total or whatever, and that's kind of how he gets it done. So I have a little surprise looking at it so far, though it doesn't seem like the same version of Taylor that I saw last year with the Angels.
Speaker 1: Tim, I'm gonna let you jump in in a minute, but we got to keep this show moving on time. Your little business, we'll do that, and we'll continue with Mark Trumbo here in a moment on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in there game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers, Make your free pick on who's hitting a homer Playball Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount see terms.
Speaker 1: Mark Trumbo with us on Birdland Territory today. Check out Mark on his show Halo Territory as they cover the Angels with the multiple shows each.
Speaker 2: Week as part of the Foul Territory Network. Tim you're up, Mark.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of people in Baltimore definitely bummed the Trey Mancini not going to be a part of this series after getting DFA. But I just wanted to get your thoughts on his comeback story. Obviously, you and Brad played with him when he was first coming up, and for a guy to go three years in between MLB games and his first game back multi hits, driving in runs at how cool was it seeing Trey make that comeback?
Speaker 3: Incredible to take that much time off. He was all but retired. I mean in his mind he was retired. He wasn't training, He was playing tennis at a local country club and being a dad. I mean, baseball was not at the forefront of his mind. I think that there was probably mentally that some unfinished business that when guys retire, very few get to do the heroes exit with teams, you know, gifting you this parade and whatnot. A lot of times it is what it is, and maybe it's injury, maybe its performance and your time comes to an end. And I think for Trey he was never after the cancer diagnosis and treatment, he wasn't able to quite produce the results that he had previously, and I think that that kind of was something that wore on him a little bit. But it's also completely understandable. I mean, that's that's huge life changing stuff, and he was still able to be a very good ballplayer, just maybe the power side wasn't quite there. I do know that Brady Anderson, who everyone you know Oriel Territory and you know, fans of the Orioles knows well, was very pivotal in getting Trey to give it another shot, getting in his ear saying that he still had a lot more to offer. And Brady is now the hitting coach for the Angels, so he had kind of an insider perspective there and said that at least with the depth that they have. You don't come into camp non roster invitee type thing. And to Trey's credit, he stuck it out for quite a while in tripa A. Even when initially Nolan Shaanawell got injured, Trey didn't get the call, but I kind of thought if there was a time to pull the plug and maybe.
Speaker 2: Take it to the house, it would have been there.
Speaker 3: But he stayed around a little bit longer, and fortunately another injury and Von Grissom and Trey did get promoted and performed quite well in the limited stint. He got shorter than he would have liked, and I would have liked, and everyone would have liked. But being I think he's thirty four years old now and the Angels going with a younger group, that's the nature of the game.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, well over the years in Oriole playing the Angels in Camden Yards, so it hit the ball to the center field, better hitted ten feet over the fence or Mike Trout was going to catch it. We've seen that time and time again. Kind of bums me out that he's on the il We're not going to see him in this series. I just so much appreciate the greatness of Mike Trout over the years, Millville, New Jersey would empty out and come to Camden.
Speaker 2: Yards for those series. What's it like watching him?
Speaker 1: Maybe getting to know him a little bit, I mean, give us a little insight inside.
Speaker 2: What makes this guy great for so long?
Speaker 3: I think he's I mean, look at the numbers. First of all, this is a player that's Mike is also about the same age as Tray thirty five years old, I think thirty four to thirty five and having a big research in year this year. Now, the last handful of years have been very injury prone and he's missed quite a bit of time. A lot of people have thought that not even close to the player he once was. But this year he came in. Last year the experimenter was playing in the right field, thought it would be easier on the body. Tried to get him some more days at d H just to keep him on the field, and over the winter they hired a new manager in Kurt Suzuki, and that's been interesting. But the news came out that Mike was going to be the everyday center fielder again. He said he thought it would be better for him, better for him availability wise, health, wise, and he's played almost every day up until these last few games. Very productive as well. The average is lower than it once was, but he's taken a ton of walks, maybe a byproduct of not having as much protection. Taylor Ward was a guy that actually did a nice job of that, and it's been a mix and match this year with who they've chosen. But I've talked to him in the last few days. The hamstring injury, said is very you know, it's a Grade one. It's not going to be a big deal. Probably going to be ten to fourteen days best case, and he'll be back out there. Unfortunately, it's not going to be against the Orioles, but I don't think the Oriols mind that.
Speaker 2: They don't I wish. I'd love to see him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: So yeah. So Mark's one of the most prepaired hitters I think I ever played with, just guys constantly went to him. Last night, he's texting me about some of the oil stuff. He looked up and he happened to see the quotes about Samuel Bissio and I just wanted to kind of get his thoughts on. It's the guy's twenty one years old. And he hasn't played a ton of games period across his career. Just what is that like for a young hitter? If you remember when you first came up, what you had to deal with, just all the stuff getting thrown at you throw the catching stuff on top of it. Just how difficult is it to adjust to major league life? And he's only twenty one years old, So just any insights that you have on what he might be going through right now, and just maybe some of your insights on what you thought on some of the we kind of called the bizarre comments that came out about everything, and just a kind of a bizarre scenario that happened a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Twenty one years old, I was floundering in the Midwest League, my second tour of duty there.
Speaker 2: So I.
Speaker 3: It's just a different world, I think. In that same article, Ken Rosenthal and Britain Gearari, I believe it was Ken that that wrote that a lot of stuff to unpack there. As far as Bazollo goes, it appears that Craig Albertus was trying to send a message to some degree playing through injury and what it takes at the big league level. And I think that there's a point there. I think that that's an old school approach unless I'm, you know, not not getting it correct. But the story seemed pretty definitive, and and that's what happened, U benching one of your most productive bats. That's a tough thing to do if if the offense as a whole, looking at the numbers kind of to prepare to come on today, it looked like the offense is a fair amount of strikeouts, a lot of walks, and then the very middle of the pack, and in most other regards, the ops didn't really There were a couple of guys north of eight hundred. Pat Alonzo seems to have really heat it up. And there was another player. You're gonna have to remind me, Brad, but Alexander Okay, he came from the Diamondbacks, I think at one point. Okay, yeah, he's looked really promising. But beyond that, I guess Rutchman has suffered an injury too.
Speaker 4: Yep, yeah, cushion, I L can cussion, I L I got hit. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there were a few guys like Mayo whose numbers quite honestly didn't look that impressive, and he's getting quite a few at bats, and I wonder if they're you know, it's tough to piece together it is to stay in success if if you have really realistically in any lineup, you're probably gonna have two guys that are really going well, which seems to kind of be the case. But you can't have three or four guys going really poorly. And I'm not sure if that is what's going on, but you've got to have some anchors that are, you know, on any given day, capable of getting two hits, three hits. They're not going to do it every day, but still able to competitive at bats, productive outs, manufactured some runs to you know, have some comfortable leads. The pitching seems okay. Starters for you guys have had some injuries, so at least in the series coming up with the Angels, you're not going to be seeing the three really good pitchers there. There may be Urania on the last day, but it's going to be Alde Gary Uh tonight, tomorrow. It could be anyone. It could be an opener, it could be who knows uh. And then that third game, if it is Urin, yeah he's been really special. If it's someone else, delete that. But the Angels at least. I know it's kind of you know, wandering here, but have had some really real bright spots with their starting pitching the bullpen. Totally different story though.
Speaker 1: Workout whether it's today on Birdland Territory. Got to squeeze in another time out and then we'll continue here in a moment.
Speaker 3: When my puppy Bella has something wrong, I'm not going to go around googling what to do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Kratz, let's have a better plan. Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. It offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. Because, let's be honest, vet bills can add up fast. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account so you can get back to focusing on what really matters your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul that's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul Again, that's ASPCA pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independent American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurance and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 1: Birdland Territory today with our special guest, Mark Trumbo, the twenty sixteen MLB homer leader and now part of Halo Territory covering the Angels and Tim you're up.
Speaker 5: Mark, I wanted to continue to drill on something that you were bringing up prior to the break, and that was the Rosenthal ritual only piece, but also you mentioning, hey, when you were twenty one years old, you were on your second tour of duty and the miners and Brad has brought this up a lot on the podcast too, Just how young these guys are. And this isn't an Orioles thing. This is a baseball thing where development is happening at the major league level that's becoming kind of commonplace.
Speaker 4: Just how what have you thought of kind of the.
Speaker 5: Evolution of that and trending more in that direction in recent years.
Speaker 3: I think it's a byproduct of the agent curve that is quite a it around the game. Some guys are able to play and sustain success well into their thirties, but a lot aren't, and the teams are aware of that. We've seen it reflected in free agent deals, and then you guys did an episode I believe on the upcoming CBA. All of that is, we haven't broached that subject yet. A lot to unpack, and I really wanted to have a little better understanding before I, you know, maybe look foolish saying things, but the game is going very young, and development at the big league level is a new trendy topic. I've heard Give Kapler talk talk about it a bit. What it really means to me is there's going to be some sloppy baseball, and there's going to be some things that fans hopefully can give a longer leash and have a bit more patience because we're going to have guys up here that may not know some of the fundamental aspects of the game. Sliding could be PFPS, it could be any number of things. And the for a guy like it was all of twenty one years old. The big league season make no mistake, is one hundred and sixty two games is a lot longer than the minor league season, and there's you don't get a day off every seven days. I think Pete Alonzo had some comments that as far as the minor leagues go, it's never been more comfortable. It's a different world, and it's hard for an ex player to not come off as you know, I get off my lawn kind of a boomer because I remember no names or anything. But I saw a guy come into a day game when I was rehabbing years ago and told the manager at the time in the minor leagues that he didn't get a good night's sleep and he he wasn't able to go. And I sat there and almost jaw on the floor. But any the manager at the time, you know, you respect. I guess that was that was an organizational thing and a big deal. You know, he didn't recover well and we're going to give him the day. Had I said anything like that, probably would have been cardboard box in front of my locker ready to hit the road. So it just is it right or wrong. It's just different, and I think it is. It is tough for guys that only know one way. It looks soft, to be honest with you, and and it's very tough, you know, trying to do what I'm doing now is seeing it from both sides? What are the advantages? What are the disadvantages? But I think if you can get a guy comfortable and producing at the big league level as early as possible, you're gonna get a lot of really good years out of him. Uh, Basolo, did he sign an extension? Is he like an eight year contract?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think that. I mean, you already have him, you're paying him. Why not get the most out of it. How's the catching? Do you guys have it?
Speaker 4: Steve?
Speaker 3: How does he look back there?
Speaker 2: He looks fine.
Speaker 1: He's got a big arm, and he's pretty agile for his size, and the Orioles have always insisted he could continue as a catcher when some scouts thought otherwise, and he has. He's been pretty solid. I think the guys like throwing to him. Obviously, there are some finer points. He's got to clean up and learn and develop at just twenty one. But I mean the other night when Rogers throw a great game against the Dodgers, he cited Basio back there, for helping him. So I think he's playing pretty good reviews overall. You know, from twenty one years old, Yeah, came out of the Dominican Republic and he was the shining star of their international program, and hopefully you're going to be a shining star in big league baseball.
Speaker 3: If basio is the pronunciation, sorry, Brad, yeah.
Speaker 4: Misio, yeah, basio. But it's all right. It's he he's gotten. Even like from April to May, there was a big difference in his catching. You could tell the confidence the pitchers have a him. I think early on maybe there was a little bit more of button pressing and maybe the pitcher going to his belt and that you haven't really seen that the last couple of months. So he's definitely come a long way in the catching side, and then to be able to have his bat produce at the level it has, Like we said, it was just a it was just a bizarre scenario that happened two weeks ago, because it was it looked like he got hurt, like he was swinging hurt, Like he had a game on Saturday or Sunday in Toronto where every single swing he took he was grimacing. And the next day, he takes a slide a home plate where it's an awkward play, and then it's basically I'm gonna paraphrase this and not the words of the organization used, but basically he was being a baby, is what they kind of. I mean, you guys can mistake correct me if I'm wrong, But it was just kind of the way it came out that like, you need to man up and you're not hurt. We had you checked out, and you gotta go play. And it was like him and Atalie both were in the line for two days, and they brought up a third catcher and he was catching, and it was just it was just a bizarre scenario. So to experience all this at twenty one and kind of get I think, like Mark you were saying the minor leagues, I think that guys would get that in the minor leagues, where you mess up, you sit for two days. But at the big league level, when you're trying to win games and there are four or five games under five hundred right now, you take one of your biggest bats out of the line for two days. It was a big message that was sent. That's how I saw it, and I.
Speaker 5: Think Chris Bassett had the quotes in that article in the Athol like basically saying that, yeah, you need the tough love early on. That way, it's not you know, a culture shock, you know at the major league level one paraphrasing, but the Bassett had quotes very similar to that.
Speaker 3: I think that's one thing the Oriols seem to have as some veteran leadership that contrasting with the Angels. Trouv does a pretty good job in that regard, but he's not a very vocal guy. You're never going to see quotes like you saw from Bassett or Alonso come from him. So when you guys see him this series, you're going to see a lot of showmanship, a lot of stuff that's not my cup of tea. But if the Angels do play well at all, the short stuff, in particular as a flair for the dramatic, he's been channeling Pokemon, uh you know kind of uh for inspiration and and said that he attributed that the Pokemon character to opening, you know, trading cards and other things. So I'm trying to keep up with the world. But uh, Pikachuu, I guess it was the name of it. It's been interesting. What how's the Orioles bullpen? Look? Uh, who's closing?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right now it's Hell's he's back, but he's uh, he struggled his last his first two addings off the i L The other night they use I think it was wolf m Was it Wolfram start the ninth and then uh yeniar Cano came in to finish it or the Cano.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But they had this guy, Rico Garcia. He was unbelievable. It gave like one hit in the first two months of the season. He's kind of come back to earth a little bit, but he's still gonna probably be seventh eighth inning guy. They had Anthony Nuniez who was pitching really well, but he's a rookie still basically learning how to pitch the big league level. But he just got sent down a triple A. So if most it's gonna be Hellsley, he'll be in the ninth inning. I think if the game is a safe situation, so he was. He's been around a while. Obviously, closer big Arm just kind of got ambushed his first outing. First two pitches he threw in Seattle home runs on and then he had kind of a safe situation he put himself into. It was lights out and then last outing at the against the Dodgers, they they got him pretty good. So I have to imagine it's going to be him in the ninth and then any any combination of the rest of the guys seventh through the eighth.
Speaker 3: That other Los Angeles team is a pretty good team, by the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're pretty good, pretty good, pretty good.
Speaker 1: We here, we've seen been playing in October the last few years. Mark before we say goodbye and thanks for all the time today, And I hope fans check you out on Halo Territory. And to be honest, I'll tell you man, that's how I found out. I came across you guys one day and was watching your show and I said, geez, do they have an Oriel show like? And found out they didn't. And then here we are a few months later, the three of us doing Birdland Territory because really, because that's all Halo territory. So I enjoy what you guys are doing. Let's edit on this note. When you played in Baltimore, it can be a special place. And I think when you're having the year you had in twenty sixteen. Hopefully the fans are showing you, you know, the love you would desire or would be great for a player having a great year. So let me try to clean up my sentence here and say, what was it like to play for the fans in Birdland?
Speaker 3: Exceptional? I had no clue what to expect growing up on the West Coast. Orioles are not a team that was on my radar. You don't get that same experience as a visiting player either. You're kind of in you're out. So I came into it with an open mind and was blown away. I mean that is as Baltimore as a baseball city. They're passionate about their Orioles. They want to look and have a good team on the field as often as possible. I think the fans showed a lot of patients when a full rebuild took place and the team came out better on the other side, and they've still played, you know, really competitive baseball. They're in stacked division. But I think from the fans perspective, there's nothing more I could have asked. It was a lot of fun in my time there, getting you know, around the city and just the polar opposite of what we're used to overhere, So I have nothing, but you know a lot of great memories from that time, and you know it's holds a special place. I think we're planning to come out pretty soon for Chris Davis's induction to the Oriels Hall of Fame, so that that should be a lot of fun. Really good close friend of mine, Hank Congress, coaching in the bullpen for the O's, So we're very interested in what's going on there, enjoy visiting and and you know, it holds a very special place in my heart memories and it was a great time. Steve one one question before I'd let you guys totally go. Are you guys buyers or sellers?
Speaker 2: Flip a coin? We don't know the answer to that one yet.
Speaker 1: I think these next three or four weeks Mark are going to determine that. I think they hope they're going to be buyers, and that's the plan all along. If it bottoms out over the next couple of weeks. I think fans are hoping this Dodger series spurs them on, but we've said it before and it didn't, so now they've got to go. It's go time, and there seems to be enough talent to be buyers.
Speaker 2: So right now. They fired their manager.
Speaker 1: Last week and the GM is kind of on the hot seat now with Elias and and Birdland wants a winner, as you know, and you know what it can be like when they get one here, So it's going to be an interesting few weeks for first step on the gas.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's time to go win some games like it.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: Okay, got some energy.
Speaker 4: It should be a good.
Speaker 2: Serious it should be. Mark.
Speaker 1: Thanks for taking time with us, man. I really enjoyed covering you when you became an oriol. You were great to me and media guys, and I think you were. You were good for the fans too, so great to hear from you today. Great to have you on the show. Thanks for the time.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Mark Trumbo with us today on Berdland Territory. Really enjoyed the conversation. Check him out on Hallo Territory and those fans thanks for watching today.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next time.