Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. This in CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three.
Speaker 2: We don't go to the office. We build it.
Speaker 3: Good evening, Steeler Nation. How we doing dodging rain drops? Well, that's good us too, And it is the.
Speaker 2: Third sounds like Pittsburgh's getting pretty hard.
Speaker 3: All right. Justin was just painting us the picture back there. Everybody stay safe if you get those tornado warnings, be careful as some wild weather moving through the western Pennsylvania region here in the afternoon and into the evening. But it's about five o'clock. It's five o'clock somewhere, certainly right here at chucknoll Field, and that means that it's time for us to get to the tweets. As we roll into the Bonus hour, Matt me leads us off with a three pack of questions here, Doctor Westman and Professor Matt. Number one, true or false? The longer Joey Porter Junior stays on the pup list, the harder it will be for him to get into form. Or is he like TJ Watt and could just show up week one and play at a high level, real quick, great use of the word form there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by me, small potatoes, I would say, I mean it's on him to stay in shape. Although that is a very cardio and conditioning position.
Speaker 3: Football shape is different than general shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't know that he would have played in the preseason. I mean, he'd be out here mirroring you know, DK Metcalf and those guys. I wouldn't go down that road. Yet, in terms of it being the slightest bick concern.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm with you on that. I think, hey, maybe he won't be as sharp as he could have been in Week one, But you're right, it's not like it's not like he would have been doing a ton of work out here either way. Question number two for me is the Big Mac or the bacon eater.
Speaker 2: I have a heart. I have a sweet spot for the big Man same here, do you?
Speaker 3: The Big Mac is is if you take Taco Bell out of the equation, Matt and some of the stuff that is outside of our region, so like calvers and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all the time.
Speaker 3: Of all the fast food stuff that I can regularly get, the Big Mac might be number one on the list.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm out here to disparage McDonald's, but I rarely go there same you know, saying I did much more as a kid and there weren't as many options back then.
Speaker 3: Oh, I used to go all the time.
Speaker 2: But Big Mac is definitely high in the list.
Speaker 3: I still get a Big Mac like a couple times a year just to hit the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've noticed so. My wife and I have a long standing kind of joke that like once a year we get Long John Silvers, and then when we're like an hour after we do get I don't feel terrible, and then a year later like Long Johns to try it's been a while, let's do it. Big Mac's kind of similar, Like I feel it after and I'm not thrilled with myself, but it's fun going down there.
Speaker 3: It sure is. And it's if you have the McDonald's app. Man, they have deals where it's like buy a it's like buy a medium fry and get a Big Mac for free. You can't.
Speaker 2: I should definitely stop.
Speaker 3: And they do like promotion stuff with like the Pirates and the Penguins, so like sometimes you'll get a notification that it's like, hey, uh, the Pirates hit two home runs or whatever, Big Mac for two dollars, or you know, the Penguins scored on the Power Play Big Mac for two dollars, and I'm like, I can't pass that up. That's just economics.
Speaker 2: So what are your thoughts on the things that have derived from the Big Mac, like the Lbie super Burger or the app eaton Park super.
Speaker 3: Park super Burger.
Speaker 2: I'm a fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a fan too. Yeah, but there's just there's something about that seated role that McDonald's has, and their Max Sauce is just on point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a neat and park one and yeah, many places you go have something in the realm. Yes, and I'm a fan of all.
Speaker 3: I sure am too. The third one from me is what is the best summer road trip song? Anything by the Grateful Dead Cousin.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, that is kind of a road trip in. I don't have a favorite on that one. I mean there's a million to pick from.
Speaker 3: Matt. Matt just listens to podcasts on the summer road I do.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be back and forth to Kentucky here in the coming days, and there'll be a lot of podcasting.
Speaker 3: Which will be good because when Mac gets back, he'll be like, dude, you got to listen to this, this, and this and there. Yeah, I always love it. Listen to McShay on this and Brugler on this and these are all really good.
Speaker 2: How many times on Thursday we will be like, well, so it's listening to a podcast the other day, And.
Speaker 3: Like when we do a round campus, Matt'll be like, oh, you should listen to the McShay thing on, you know, on such and such. Yeah, yeah, it's it is fun. I tell you what, guys. This this Matt Williamson. He's like a football encyclopedia. Darius tweets us and asks and says, I'm in an old school touchdown only fantas see football league. I have third pick. Consensus is that Gibs and Beijon in some order will go one and two. Who would you take for pick three? Rushing and receiving touchdowns are worth six points, Throwing touchdowns are worth four points.
Speaker 2: And all accounts are touchdowns wow, yard zone matter, receptions or anything. I wouldn't take a quarterback. I would say McCaffrey. He just scores a million. Jamar Chase is kind of the consensus three, as is Pooka. I wouldn't change it too much, but I would definitely bump up McCaffrey and Henry. I mean their body of work is scoring touchdowns is incredibly high.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it is. That's an interesting that's a that's a different Really, I don't like.
Speaker 2: That league at all. You lose makes it a lot less predictive.
Speaker 3: Sure sure, Annie tweets us, and she says the hose issue is easy to solve. Buy a decent, sturdy, metal wheeled hose caddy. But you guys are on your own with the Christmas.
Speaker 2: Lights, though I did I did see that.
Speaker 3: I need to get one of those.
Speaker 2: I have one of those in the back. The front we have old school you take the hose in like the garage one. You know, it's like one of these things where you take this and you go around all the way around. Yeah, by hand. That one never gets wrapped up.
Speaker 3: Mike tweet ess and says, it's one hundred and four degrees here in Naples, Florida today. My seat is hot. But you think Caleb Johnson might even be on a hotter seat. Yep, Yes, we talked about that in the first hour of the show. I threw I think it was eight or nine names at Matt and was like, should this guy be calm, concerned, worried, panicked? If you miss that, you can go back and find it. In the first hour of the podcast feed s and R drive wherever you get your podcasts. But he seems like.
Speaker 2: Panicked.
Speaker 3: There's not enough Uh yeah, there's not enough lifeboats on the Titanic for him to have a seat.
Speaker 2: Now there's a chance. I don't know what their plan is. He gets twelve carries on Friday, and if that happens, whether he does well with them or not, I would think he might go to move one layer up. I wouldn't ever, says calm. But maybe they're like, well, let's give him bunch and see what he does.
Speaker 3: Mister Morris asks, when do we start to get worried about Maxie honicch You are not practicing when it was said he would be back last week, now earlier, real quick. I I don't remember the exact quote from Mike McCarthy, but I don't think he came out absolutely and said, oh, yeah, he'll be back on Monday. I think it was something Monday, Monday definitely came out of his mouth, and I think it was like, we're hoping to have him back by.
Speaker 2: Monday or on Monday or something like that. Right, he didn't say he'll be back Monday, and if he isn't scared.
Speaker 3: Now, again, that was also six days ago, so it's it's a little it's a little different if okay, it's not quite on Monday, but he's back on such and such day, and we know that there was the preseason game in there too, So I had a couple, had a couple of days off.
Speaker 2: I kind of thought today would be the day. Though.
Speaker 3: Let's do that. Say I did as well, Let's do that same Matt calm concerned, worried, panicked with Max and the not practicing, I would go.
Speaker 2: I would say calm plus or concerned minus, and.
Speaker 3: Again not for his long term future.
Speaker 2: It's just for the current situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want man.
Speaker 2: I was really because it's a neck slash stinger, right, I believe I just hate hearing the word neck too. I mean, maybe it's because Brodert Jones fresh on my mind or you know.
Speaker 3: I thought, and hey, it was only a few practices, but I really thought he was on a fast track to be starting by week one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which still could be the case.
Speaker 3: Still could be the case. But the longer and longer he goes, the more and more difficult it becomes for selfish purposes.
Speaker 2: You and I only get to see him one more time.
Speaker 3: I know, you know, he was a lot of fun to watch it.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm really hoping he practices tomorrow.
Speaker 3: A lot of fun to watch. Ian says, which rookie quarterback from this weekend impressed you the most? Personally? I think Ty Simpson looked fantastic.
Speaker 2: I heard that I didn't see yet. Aler's got to be high.
Speaker 3: I was going to say the two here in Pittsburgh. I think have to be high on the list. Ty Simpson, Hey, you look at it. I mean he was twenty one of twenty nine with a couple touchdown passes. That that's impressive, had a very good showing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, overall, it sounds like I mean Beck's done well. He played in the first week, he didn't play the second week, and I.
Speaker 3: Guess technically Will Howard don't count as a rookie for all intents and purposes. Uh, pretty close there for debuts, Yes, exactly, it was his debut. Yeah, I wonder how that works because you know how the rookies they get that patch when they play their first NFL game that says like rookie debut. Do you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so I wonder if Will Howard will get that for his for the Steelers first.
Speaker 2: Game, so you get it NFL.
Speaker 3: It says NFL premiere with the year jersey patch worn by rookies during their first regular season game, because like I remember Zach Frasier wearing.
Speaker 2: One, So they he'll so like for example, Jerremy the patch that he got through the season.
Speaker 3: No, just just the first it's just the first game.
Speaker 2: I've never seen it like regular season week ten on a guy.
Speaker 3: Yes, No, yeah, you won't see that it's for one game because I I still remember they just started doing it a couple of years ago, and it still gets me. It still gets me every every year where I'm like, wait a second, he's wearing a patch. What is that thing I'm trying to put.
Speaker 2: If Hanachre doesn't play at all during the regular preseason, doesn't isn't active Game one, and doesn't start until week four, he would get one.
Speaker 3: Week four, I believe so, Okay, I believe.
Speaker 2: So, or I'm probably probably the first days act like you see, they don't care.
Speaker 3: Here's a picture of Marian yeah wearing one last year, and then of course it gets taken off and put into a trading card and becomes it's all about some money and some revenue and some merchandise. But yeah, they wear those little one game.
Speaker 2: Every NFL player will have one of those their first game.
Speaker 3: Imagine Will Howard if he's active, if he's not, like the emergency quarterback, No, I don't think it's I don't think it's preseason. I think it's regular.
Speaker 2: Okay, does emergency quarterback count?
Speaker 3: That's what I don't know. I mean, because he will be in uniform, but he's technically not part of the active roster unless he has to be, you know, a loophole break, classic case of emergency. R J says, what do you guys think the split will look like for Uncle Rico and Jalen Warren this year?
Speaker 2: But it's all said and done in terms of touches, not necessarily carries. I think Warren will be just between the two of them, not counting the peripherals. I'd say sixty forty Warren.
Speaker 3: Sixty forty warrant and you're saying that's just carries. Total touches overall.
Speaker 2: Because I think the receptions will favor him heavily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would too, I absolutely would.
Speaker 2: I think he'll have a lot more receptions than Dowdell. Dowdle probably is more carries, but I think that's close, and then they'll be like fifteen percent the others.
Speaker 3: I get what you're saying, I get what.
Speaker 2: You're at, Homer or whoever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that seems to make sense. Yeah, let's see Michael tweets here. We got time for maybe one or two more. Michael tweets here and says some thoughts on the preseason game. Wants to see Hoffman given a more of an opportunity. But observation number one, want to see a Hoffman given more of an opportunity to be starter over Spencer Anderson.
Speaker 2: I didn't think Anderson played great. I'm a Hoffman believer, but I'm starting to think that that's not a competition anymore. I think it's Anderson's job, which I don't have a problem with.
Speaker 3: I I don't either, but that has you know what, You're kind of right? That has kind of seemed.
Speaker 2: Doesn't sound like they're using like a battle anymore.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, exactly right.
Speaker 2: There's logic that I don't agree with that some coaches buy into though that I know Anderson could play center if he had to, but there's a lot more confidence if Anderson's If Anderson and Hoffman are equal right guards. Okay, let's just say let's pretend that's the case, or that they would put Hoffman on the bench, because there's a chance Hoffman could get hurt at right guard. Then Fraser gets hurt and nobody can snap. You see what I'm saying, Like, Yes, there's a fear in the coaching community that we get.
Speaker 3: Into a late third quarter, and I can't have anybody that can snap.
Speaker 2: And yes, if you've ever experienced it probably scars you to ed sure, But like we can't go shotgun. We have nobody that's ever really snapped, now, I know Anderson has. But a lot of teams will look at it that way that if you're also the backup center, sometimes it hurts your chances to be a starting guard.
Speaker 3: You know what, Matt, I had never really kind of looked at it that way, but that makes a ton of sense.
Speaker 2: That'd be a lot of disaster. Two guys would have to get hurt. But we've seen if your two top centers are on the field for sixty snaps, there's a better chance they both get hurt than if one's on the bench.
Speaker 3: That's that's simple statistics right there. Man, Snapping is important, you know what. It sure is lightly taken for granted, it sure is. And and that's a that's a very astute point that you that you made there, and and maybe part of the reason why we haven't had as much conversation about Brockhoffman being a starting guard to this point.
Speaker 2: Being a backup at all three of those spots is really valuable. But I can't have you get hurt and then be on the edge of my seat. Oh no, that can't get hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, every time Zach ends up in a pile, you're holding your breath. Let's get too well. Our first break here at the five o'clock hour, we're gonna hear from from a little bit from offensive coordinator Brian Angelico and defensive courteator Patrick Graham will continue to keep you posted on everything going on here at Saint Vincent College. West Ruler Matt Williams said, it's the bonus hour of the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage out the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bod Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control Making traffic Safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx, the new Power Move Independence Health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit Go Laurel Highlands. The Steelers Pro Shop, visit shop dot Steelers dot com and buy Candienda Pizza and draft House.
Speaker 3: Back on campus here as we roll along in a wet evening in Latro, Pennsylvania, and what is our penultimate day here at St. Vincent College. Matt with that, some some coaches and some coordinators speaking earlier today and once again we heard from Patrick Graham and Brian Angelico. I was, I was laughing at the preseason game Thursday night. Patrick Graham was, you know most places do this, but you have to to get into the kind of food and beverage area of the press box. You got to show your badge, of course, because they won't just let anybody walk in and eat and take drinks and all that. You got to show your badge that you know, your credentials to prove that you belong. And uh, I think Patrick Graham was quickly kind of trying to go back and forth to get some.
Speaker 2: Coffee, okay, and the coaching from.
Speaker 3: From the coaching box, and the poor the poor young girl was kind of like, excuse me, sir, can I see your badge? And he was like, oh, it's over there. I'm just running real quick and like myself and Chris Hallick and I think maybe Jerry Doulac. We were like, he's a coach, he's fine, and she was like, oh, okay, go ahead. He was like, I'm just getting a coughin real quick. I promise I'll be in it out. But Patrick Graham speaking earlier today as well, as it was pretty funny, he was he was being very kind about it, like he was he wasn't trying a big time or anything, but he was like, I'm just a coach. I'm just running over here real quick to grab a cup of coffee. And we were all like, he's fine, he's telling the truth. He's not fine. Patrick Graham speaking here, and then we'll also hear from Brian Angelico, offensive coordinator, So your defensive coordinator, then your offensive coordinator. As we approached the end of camp, here's what they had to say.
Speaker 4: But I thought the way they handled the huddle, got out of a huddle, got to the checks, it was it was pretty impressive.
Speaker 5: And most importantly, we took care of the football. So that was a good start. Played coming down the sideline, broke the tackle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how much do you see that being a part of your offensive You have some big and tough to tackle receivers downfield.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we hope all our guys.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's a big part of this offense is to catch and run the rack and and to do that in.
Speaker 5: This league, you got to be able to break tackle. So it's good to see him in.
Speaker 2: Max.
Speaker 5: Max had a nice one as well.
Speaker 4: Mike has harped on the mental wearers, and I think you guys started the first team of running with the penalty and then.
Speaker 6: Exactly, Yeah, at what point are you going to get more concerned with Yeah, I mean, you know, each day that goes on, it's something we got to fix and we will fix and uh, something that that we're addressing daily, and it's certainly got to get better.
Speaker 5: And that starts with me in the and the coaches. Brian, what is it.
Speaker 4: About Robert Tunyan that that you've seen that you like about him? Yeah, I know, Bobby's you know, number one, he knows how to play the game. He's uh, he's got good intelligence at the line when the picture changes, he knows where he's got to be within relation to the route concept. And you hope you get that with all your vets and we're we're glad to have him. Bobby's played a lot of football, so we're excited to see what what's forward in Minnesota. I had Bobby actually in Green Bay his his rookie year. He was a rookie free agent, and then he made the team. So I had Bobby for two years in Green Bay and then we brought him to Minnesota. So this is my third time with him, So we're glad to have him.
Speaker 5: What led to like bring him in for a trial for mini.
Speaker 4: Camp just his experience, and yeah, I think anytime you can, you can bolster the depth.
Speaker 5: Of the roster.
Speaker 4: You know, where we were, we were a little light on the numbers at the tight end position, so you know, we were looking around and Bobby happened to be available.
Speaker 2: Nicholas is getting a lot of early early team reps and he seems to be a team favorite.
Speaker 7: What could you tell me about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, lous, I mean he's consistent, same guy every day, works his butt off, you know, on team's offense. So we're we're trying to get all the Baxter carries and just get them all ready because certainly at that position you can't have too many.
Speaker 5: I did not know. I've never been around loving.
Speaker 8: This morning, Mike was talking about how you have your primary concept, secondary and then auxiliary concepts. When you have a young quarterback like Drew, how do you negotiate or figure out as a staff kind of like how quickly you're going to bring him on how much you want to part us play for a preseason game and win.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: You know in OTAs that we were real diligent about what reps we gave him, with what concepts, and you know, he's been able to handle it. So right now, he's pretty much got most of the playbook. There's really nothing that he hasn't had so and he's handled it well. Uh, you know, it can be a lot for everybody, but he's done a nice job. And the games will actually be get easier when we play the real games because obviously the game plan will be paired down.
Speaker 5: But today it was a big day because it was our last install.
Speaker 4: So we're excited about the next three four weeks getting ready for the start of the season.
Speaker 3: I want all your top two receivers. How have you seen guys take advantage.
Speaker 4: Of the opportunities, So yeah, I think with any with any team, right you need you need depth and guys are going to step up, So I think I think it'll be a blessing for us down the road, certainly when we have those guys get the experience they're getting.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of depth in that running that group. How tight is the competition between these guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's it's Competition's good.
Speaker 4: I think there's a lot of tight competitions at all the positions. So well, we'll see here in the next two weeks how that thing's gonna shake out.
Speaker 5: But I feel like we're in a good spot with those guys, with all of them.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 9: Patrick, you guys are sensing that the episode starts with the D line, yep, and that's part of your philosophy.
Speaker 3: Can you expand on.
Speaker 5: That a little bit?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I think if you ask any defensive coach or even any head coach is going to start up front with a line of scrimmage and they're the ones that are directly involved with it and they set the tone. So I mean, if we want to be you know, if we want to be part of this lineage of the Steeler defense and the history of it, you got to do a good job of knocking the line of scrimmage, back setting good edges and those guys play a critical role in it. And you know, I think they've done a great job. You know, someone in a group of guys to be able to pick from for the fifty three man roster and you know they're they're working hard to get that done.
Speaker 9: But so many top dbs or are Al d Ramsey, Joey Eckles, Risker Elliott was out for a while. Has that been hard to You're trying to install in installed to a new defense, and you.
Speaker 7: Know, I mean, the the the league is hard, period. It's the most competitive, uh sport. I think, you know in terms of you know, we look at it in terms of everybody can compete for a championship each year. So I mean, is it hard? I mean, if it was hard to y all care? I mean we get paid a lot of money, so but no, I mean, uh, Thankfully we got good coaches, we got good players, you know, in different roles, and they're able to step up. And the standard is gonna be the standard in terms of what we were looking for and what we wanna do. Obviously, it'll it'll shift and change at times based on who's available, but those guys know what we're looking to get done, and we're holding and Joe Simo, those guys are holding'em all to that.
Speaker 8: Standard that Deshaun Elliott has had today the most work.
Speaker 7: That believe, So I would have to look at the numbers and stuff, but I believe.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 3: Yes, how have you seen him progress?
Speaker 7: Good? I mean again, his leadership skills, h the physicality showed up today. I know that. And then just you know, he's always active in the meetings. He's active, you know, bringing the guys together. He's a solid communicator and that's what we need at that position.
Speaker 5: Said, you've heard a lot.
Speaker 10: About the defensive line and being excited about you particularly working with him. What kind of stuff do you bring when you're specifically honing in on the group that you used to play with?
Speaker 7: I think play with? I mean I don't know how. Yeah, I didn't play. I was on the team, but in college I didn't play. But like I tell the players, like I've worked for some really really good coaches, great coaches, Hall of Fame coaches, but the most information and the most knowledge I've acquired throughout my career has been from the players. So I think you you would have to ask them specifically. But a lot of the knowledge I got from coaching really good players over my career, you know, uh uh Snacks Harrison and Chandler Jones, Rob Nikovich. You know, I've been, I've been, you know, with Max and the Raiders. I mean again, I just picked their brains in terms of how they see it, uh, what works for them, and I try to incorporate that into my teaching and the style. But I mean, I would think that's probably what they like to hear about most, and then whatever I could see on the field.
Speaker 4: You know, we've heard about how We've heard a lot about how you guys, you guys have specialized certain guys to sort of stack the blocks versus penetrate on the D line.
Speaker 5: And specific when when the time, when that times up?
Speaker 2: How do you go about telling the plan?
Speaker 5: As far as Google, it's.
Speaker 7: Just normal football, you know, normal football. I guess you guys here at Pittsburgh just get a little bit more detailed into it. But it's just it's just it's just normal football. You know, whether you know you're playing with a heavy box or a light box, you know, you just gotta, you know, figure out how we're gonna move to the ball and how we're gonna defend the run. But that all comes to play. I mean, it's nothing unique for us. It's everybody in the league's doing that.
Speaker 4: Toward passing down to a single high dB in the box capable of rushing.
Speaker 5: But is that kind of your philosophical reen.
Speaker 7: I mean, if it was, I'm not gonna say yes. I mean, we do what's best for the game plan for that situation. There's so much that goes into a play. So like when you say passing down is like, is it get back on track? Passing now? Is the third down?
Speaker 5: Pass?
Speaker 7: Is it in plus territory? So all that stuff comes into play. That's why I get paid the due in terms of figuring out within the game, like case, is it better to play split safety here? Post safety? So I mean, I can't give you my philosophy on it. I mean, because it morphs based on what the situation is. Like playing in the backfield. I love I love good players. I love having as many good players as possible.
Speaker 3: You had a Landed Roberts in Vegas, he comes back here, what does he add to the defense at this point in his career?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, the thing about e Rob is just you know, there's definitely one. He's a pleasure to be around. I really en being around him. He knows how to talk football. He was brought up the right way in terms of he sees the game, especially that linebacker position, in terms of you know, being the extension of the coordinator usually out there on the field. So that's one. And then the physicality, you know, whenever you get a chance to get pads on the physicality, I mean, he brings that every day, you know. I mean he probably would run through us in the meeting and if he could, but you know, but I'm too old for that. But like the physicality, but really smart football player, you know, knows a lot of football, and you know the guys respect him.
Speaker 3: That was Steelers defensive coordinator Patrick Graham and offensive coordinator Brian Angelico is Matt rightfully. So they got practice in early today, and boy it sure did. As the rain continues here, We've got some massive puddles in all of the corners and it's supposed to be continuing and raining most of the night, I think, so good job by the grounds crew and the video crew to get that tarp out there and to see what those guys have in store for us for the final process.
Speaker 2: What's all about?
Speaker 3: One more segment to go on the other side will wrap this thing up. The day's proceedings from Saint Vincent College, Wes Schuler, Matt Williamson. It is the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic Safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power move Independence health System expert Care here, Remax Select Realty visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop, Lisa Shop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and Draft House.
Speaker 3: Down the home stretch here of this Sunday show. As we mentioned earlier, it's the penultimate practice in the books for the Steelers Matt. If you're a Steelers fan, if you're a Steelers junkie and you want to get out here to Latrobe and you haven't done it yet, tomorrow's your last chance.
Speaker 2: Last chance. I would check the weather first, but that is your last opportunity.
Speaker 3: It's a very good always important to note, especially as Matt and I are going to be dodging rain drops here in a few minutes running out to our cars. One of the guys who wanted to get on field work today. Part of the reason for the tarps at everything that we've been talking about on field again tomorrow and not in the indoor facility is, of course, head coach Mike McCarthy. Here's what he said earlier.
Speaker 10: Mike, was just a couple of days left in training camp here in Latrobe.
Speaker 3: What are some of your priorities.
Speaker 10: And some of the final things you'd like to get done before you break camp?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm my personal folk is to make sure we get these two padded practices and today and tomorrow, you know, obviously navigating the weather. Today's you know, the last install so you know we'll highlight that in practice, you know, with a call it a competitive period there at the end with the red zone offensive defense competing. Then we'll have another call up period too, just to kind of get in the flow of the game and not we have one game under our belt. They continue to maximize, you know, the opportunities of the substitution patterns and so forth. We need to be cleaner there. That was one of the things we want to focus on coming out of last game. But yes, uh, you know, this is what training camps for taking advantage of this environment. Tomorrow's practice will be, you know, just all competition offense and defense. So really want to get these last two padded practices in.
Speaker 3: What was your evaluation of the offensive line in game.
Speaker 9: One, Well, I think it falls in line really with the team. I thought we were physical as a football team. I thought we established the play style that we wanted. It starts up front with the on line and d lie. We just got to play, you know, play our play style with more discipline. You know. The personal files were you know, the number was outrageous. You know, I just think of the production that we had, you know, was was excellent. You know, we you know, we were very productive against our opponent. Uh So you just look at the things that you can take care of yourself. But I like the way we played up front. You know, we had you know, you're you're always going to have some fundamental focal points, you know, which you know you'll see highlighted in the individual drills. You know, more probably tomorrow than today because we're installing today. But you know, that's that's what this time of years for. You know, I think the pads have started to come down, you know, I felt that a little bit the end of the last week. I was glad it showed up in the game too. So we just got to keep working. And that's why we want. We want to try to work as many different combinations as possible. So you'll see some guys moving around a little bit today, you know, just trying to work different combination of players together.
Speaker 4: Something you were looking for in a game when you don't see it a whole lot here.
Speaker 9: Definitely were you know, and it's all normal.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: I thought we were clearly high as as a team, you know, you know, this time last week, and uh and I thought we did it. I thought we did a nice job. You can see in our you know, the tightness of the combination blocks and you can see it in the you know, in the D line, you know, being square, getting off blocks, So that definitely showed up.
Speaker 4: Is there anything in particular you want to see from Travis Homer or what did you.
Speaker 2: See from him?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, you know, it's as we get into these battles that are going on each position, you know, it's, uh, it's important for our players to be able to play all four down, you know, and then definitely Travis is one of them. And you know, I think everybody's excited about draft picks and you know this and that, but you know, your value to play on special teams and offensive defense is important. But you have to be able to play on offensive defense and special teams. I mean, it just depends on how you want to look at it. So I don't like to just to keep it guy, it's just special teams, you got, it's just on offense, you know, unless his contract and his his level. You know, let's let's be real by it. It's just the facts of matter. But uh so you have to have as many players as you can that play all four downs. So that's those are the conversations I'm sure you're looking at. That's what those are the ones we're having.
Speaker 4: You talked, were definitely heard about the difference of being outdoors the football team. Does that maybe make you a little bit more willing to try to practice on the rain out here?
Speaker 9: Oh? Yeah, I have no problem in the rain, I think. I mean, I mean, I go back to the quarterback, to the old days. You just you know, you're always throwing a bucket of water in there. You know, at some point when you feel like you've gone too long, you know, not handling the ball in in inclimbate weather and frankly being a dome team for five years, I think I worried about it more then than I do now, because you get it. You know, the only thing's gonna take me off the field of lightning. You know, I just don't think that's you know, it's eight miles eight and a half. That's close enough. So I mean, it's it's just to be practical about it. I mean, that's fine line between between toughness and stupidity, and we've all straddled that. So let's not lie to each other.
Speaker 3: So, now that you've had more time working with Drew Aller, what are you learning about how his skill set fits your offensive philosophy in some of the concepts that you believe in.
Speaker 9: Well, I'll say this about Drew and really the whole room. I mean, there there there abilities physically, you know, fit any offense. So I think, you know, as we get into this spot and camp, you know, we need to really hone in on specifically, you know, concepts we want to you know, as I look on primary, secondary, auxiliary and so, yeah, he's Drew, Drew, can he can play through anything that we've asked him to do? You know, conceptually, Mike.
Speaker 10: Is as a defensive line, We've heard a lot of praise for help. Patrick Graham has inserted himself into what they're working on and.
Speaker 9: Excited to work with him.
Speaker 3: What do you see as far as what he infuses.
Speaker 10: Into a defensive line of the group that you've praised for this size and physicality.
Speaker 9: I mean, it's really a philosophy that Patrick and I have talked about since day one and and and clearly at the end of the spring coming into training camp because you know, it's important for us as coaches, you know, especially the head coach and the assistant head coach and the coordinators. You know, if you bring us, you know, if you bring us special, you know, a skill set that you have that you have a lot of experience, and you can't just throw that to the side when you become a coordinator. You know, I went through this with Brian Angelico. I mean, you know he wants to, you know, spend time in a quarterback room, and you know it's that that's fine, but you know I didn't bring him here to coach, you know, laern quarterback. I brought him here to be the offensive coordinator. But he has a special skill set it's tight end, so he needs to be in the tight end room. You know, it's important. I mean, he he's done it a long time at a high level in that room. So same thing with Patrick Patrick's you know, he's coached multiple positions. You know, he started on offense, but you know he's an exceptional defensive front coach and uh you know that's where he cut his teeth. So it's important for those linemen to know that and him to be in that room. And that's that These conversations go back all the way to when you're building a staff, because when you build a staff, you know as far as the you know, the the level of you know, experience in your in your you know, higher positions and you got young, young guys. You're excited about that, but there but there's some growth in those guys. So it's important to you know, Patrick's in there by design but also because of what he brings out of the table. So and I'm glad, I'm glad the players feel it.
Speaker 10: In your year's coaching, do you have a preference for d lineman when it comes to you know, winning and penetration versus protecting the the linebacker's because sometimes that can be a you know, a just a style choice of a defense for how they want to use their defensive linement.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I understand saying I'd look at more as a technique, you know, and I think that you know, the defensive fronts, you know, looking at it clearly from the offensive side of the ball and understanding why we do it from the defensive side of the ball, because you know, you want your you know, the techniques that you're asking your players to play with also to be inlign with their personal skill set and particularly there you know how they how they're built, you know, uh, physically, So yes, there's you know, there's times where you know you want to penetrate and there's times where you're you play with a more flat, square stance. But you know, at the end of the day, particularly first and second down, you know, the the low man, square man wins. You know, it's just you know, hands inside and those things to feed in the block and coming off and so again answer your question was, I think you need both and and obviously the most important thing the linebacker play has to be engaged in and in tune. And we talk about in here all the time. That's why as many different combinations of players you can play with, you know, you know, that's where the time clocks and the fits and all that. That's that's why we're here. You know, you just you want to get that reptives as much as possible because you know what you want those linebackers to feel the penetration, you know, whether they're playing fast over the top or play behind the block when it's still square, and you know those types of things. So you know, but that's football.
Speaker 4: You can't have enough of it, like you do more history with uh Robert Tunyan brought him in game a trial for a mini camp.
Speaker 9: What did what did you expect in this? You look like the old Robert t oh yeah, I you know, I had Robert as a young player just you know, when he had some he had some great years up there in Green Bay, you know, even after I left, So you know, I had him as a promising young player and he you know, call him Bobby now because he's you know, he's that's what the players call him. But uh, the biggest thing for Robert when he came in was really see if he was healthy, you know. So the fact that he was out there was was frankly a blessing for us. I mean, that's that's been an excellent signing, especially at the time that we got him. So, uh, he's having a hell of a camp, which is no surprise, you know. I just it was great to see him healthy there in the mini camp and and he you know, he's doing a hell of job.
Speaker 3: Did you get a chance to check out Did you get a chance to check out the home run derby yesterday?
Speaker 9: Sure did. It was the longest first round in his three home run derby, So I think it was an iron twenty eight minutes.
Speaker 3: That a lot of guys wanted to participate.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was cool, it was really cool, and it's a great work up. But I went to the five thirty mass, so I missed the final, but I guess, uh, you know, Eli really crushed it there at the end. So the guy's had a great time. Food trucks though, the whole the whole atmosphere was excellent. Thank you.
Speaker 3: That was your head coach and one of our own. Mike McCarthy, speaking ahead of the pen ultimate practice for the Steelers, I've said that too many times today. Let's put that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's put it.
Speaker 3: It's good to say every once in a while. But then I'm sudden they get it, start starting to abuse it a little bit, Yuler, I just put it put in the back pocket, save it for a rainy day. We've got a rainy day here. Save it for the next rainy day. But Mike McCarthy there, uh, speaking earlier, and of course kind of just outlining the the blueprint for the the final, you know, forty eight hours or so here of this portion of training camp at Sedge absolutely always is and you know, as Arthur Motes would say, absolutely, it's rainy campaign over just because you'll leave it, say bit, I said, it's over for you guys, but not for the team that will do it. For our show today. We will be back tomorrow for our last three hour bonus show on campus. Big thank you to Justin Miller for producing for us, back at the Ranch for Matt Williamson. I'm west Uhler. Take care everybody, and we will talk to you tomorrow. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network