Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, Dan and the Danist Dan Patrick Show come on in stay a while, spend a lot of time, maybe too much time, talking about one report that came out about Shudor Sanders being arrogant and brash in one of the interviews at the combine. Also, we have a couple of draft analysts, including Matt Miller from the Mothership. He'll join us. He said the following that he hasn't heard anyone talk with conviction about Shudor as quarterback one in the top ten or even as a first rounder. He'll explain coming up in about twenty minutes from now. While we were having this conversation about Shador Sanders and is it kind of a smear campaign or keep in mind it's only one team that said this off the record, so you don't even know which team feels this way. Peter King got a hold of Fritzy. Peter will join us coming up here in a moment and get his thoughts on this conversation. Eight seven seven three DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show Warriors at the Knicks Coming up tonight. Kyrie Irving got injured last night, the same day the MAVs decided to raise ticket prices. The thunder dropped, the Rockets shake Gilgis, Alexander goes for fifty again, fourth time this year. You can't spell tag without tea. The Bengals have tagged T Higgins and I don't think he's too happy about that. He hired I believe Jamar Chase's agent, So how about that? Maybe I don't. You're not gonna get a bargain because Jamar Chase is probably feels like he's going to want a number in the starts with a four with his contract. And it goes back to these owners when if you make the move earlier, you say yourself from making a bigger mistake later. Look at the Cowboys could have signed up Dak earlier. Now you got Michael Parsons and his number is going to probably start with a four. They already had to overspend with CD Lamb because they waited. And I'm sure that there's you know, salary cap issues or timing issues, all of that, but it feels like owners weight. If Michael Parsons is a sure thing, then can you pay him something commensurate to what Miles Garrett gets or you know TJ. Watt. Now he's gonna want more than those guys, Ced Lamb, could you have gotten him for a little less? I believe so. Dak Prescott. I think Dak Prescott's cap hit or number is like ninety million dollars this upcoming season, like something like crazy, and he's the highest paid quarterback. Feels like you could have gotten that done earlier. If you're going to sign him, then sign him earlier. It's not like you go, you know what, let me wait one more now. I agree Kyler Murray, I would have waited one more year, Like there's quarterbacks that I go, I'd like to see one more year with you. Yeah, Paulin, you exaggerated a little bit.
Speaker 3: Dan Prescott's cap hit is eighty nine million, nine hundred thousand, damn very very cool.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure that you know Jerry Jones, brilliant businessman that he can he can rectify this. I mean, Michael Parsons, I think he's gonna want a four. Jamar Chase is gonna want to four. But I mean that second contract, if you've decided or you go, you know what, that guy's probably the best receiver in the game, then why don't you sign him up? But you almost get to feeling these owners like, damn, that guy turned out to be really good, and now I gotta pay him. Michael Parsons is really good. Now I gotta pay him. Jamar Chase, he turned out to be really good. But these guys, these non quarterbacks, man o, man o, man, they are creeping up, creeping up on the quarterbacks there, all right, eight seven seven to three, DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show seat and poll. Question for hour two is going to be one.
Speaker 4: Let me update you here on our one first Dan, which percentage of pre draft news do you believe your options are one hundred percent, seventy five.
Speaker 2: Point fifty or twenty five?
Speaker 4: All right, right up, people, fifty three percent of the audience believe twenty five percent of the news.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, you do try to separate fact from fiction, but you know that's difficult sometimes, even when you're a great reporter like Peter King. Peter King formerly with NBC Sports and the Monday Morning Quarterback and well retirement and now look at him. A contributor to the Dan Patrick show here, not sk but great seeing you Pete. What riled you up?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 6: I was just walking the dog. I was just walking Chuck here in Brooklyn, and I was listening to your show with all of the falderol around Shaduur Sanders and I don't know, I just I just wanted to address a few things. And I'm you know, I said to Todd, said, happy to talk to Dan off the air. But I mean, there's just a few things, like, for instance, wearing the hat backwards. The coach of the Year in the NFL this year was Dan Quinn. He wears his hat backwards. I think it looks a little bit twenty one ish, but that's the way Dan Quinn likes to wear his hat. Who cares. That's one Number two. Dion Sanders. I remember this specifically in nineteen eighty nine when he was in the draft and he came out like Gangbusters time time cover.
Speaker 2: Of SI.
Speaker 6: You know, being very very counter NFL culture. And over the years one of the things that I grew to respect incredibly about Dion Sanders is that he knew that a cornerback in the NFL was not going to make Troy Aikman Barry Sanders money unless he wasn't just your average, everyday great player in the draft, and so he made himself into something that he knew would make him more money. And he was smart. And look, I have no idea. I didn't go to the Combine. I don't cover the NFL right now, so I don't know anything. Okay, I just know this that the Shadeur Sanders who met teams at the Combine, he probably probably can basically play the game the way he and his dad think is best for him. Like, let's just say that Dion and Shadour believe that I don't go to Cleveland. Man, it is a graveyard. And so when you go into Cleveland, when you go into your meeting with Cleveland, you don't have to say, oh, man, I'd love to go to Cleveland. Here's what I'll do. I'm going to help you change your culture.
Speaker 2: All that.
Speaker 6: Suppose he's just a little bit passive and or you seem like he does he seems like he doesn't care. And again, look, I come from the stance that I know nothing other than what I've read a little bit on social media, and I don't so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of this, and Dan, I think the one last thing I would say is that, you know, you talk about guys who are arrogant maybe and you talk about you know, like a Marino or Brady. You know, you can be any way you want when you win, any way you want. And there's something about the fire from Dan Marino. You know the day I covered in ninety one or ninety two, maybe ninety five, I forget when it was Dan Marino broke Fran Tarkenton's all time record for passing yards in his career and they lost the game. Harvey Green, the PR guy, goes up to Dan Marino after the game and says, here, hands them a stat sheet from the game, figuring that he said, you know, I figure you might want to have this, keep saying and Marino looks at it.
Speaker 7: He goes.
Speaker 6: And he wasn't being a jerk to Harvey Green. He just said, we just lost the fen football game. I don't give two blanks about stats and about records, you know, and so those things are okay.
Speaker 2: But all I'm saying is that, and is.
Speaker 6: That the narrative?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: I think the player has a chance to control before the draft, and has anybody thought that maybe Shador Sanders is just trying to control his own narrative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mentioned that maybe he doesn't want to go to Cleveland if that's the team. We don't know the team, and maybe he's like, hey, I can be arrogant because I don't want you to draft me. You know, there's agendas. We understand that, and you know, as reporters, I'm sure you're fed information sometimes by somebody who has an agenda, and whether you see through it or not, but you know who benefits from Shadoor Sanders falling out of the first round. A couple other quarterbacks could benefit from that, or a team may want to get him at a cheaper price. You know how this works, Pete, he did it for over forty years. Where people have agendas and maybe that's what it is. But you know, to be called arrogant, is that that's that's We're okay with cocky, confident, brash, arrogant, arrogant probably you know sounds some alarms for people, teams And you know what.
Speaker 6: I remember before the twenty I guess it was twenty ten draft. That was the Cam Newton draft writer, or was at twenty eleven whatever it was. But I remember I interviewed Newton who was on a little bit of a press tour, and at one point during the interview he said to me, I want to be not just a great quarterback, but you know, I want to be an entertainer. And he used some other oh yeah words that you say. Well, you know, boy, imagine a guy who wants to be drafted very high in the draft saying he the other word was icon. I just remembered it. I want to be an icon and an entertainer. Well, you know, and again I'm not I'm not saying that that should be the death nel and certainly was it. He was the first overall pick in the draft. But I put out on Twitter and I wrote, some teams are not going to like a quarterback saying I want to be an icon and an entertainer. They're just not. So some of the stuff that, you know, you have to ask yourself if you were in an interview, a fifteen minute interview with Dion Sanders and he is either passive or looking at his watch, or it seems like he doesn't care, a lot of people would say, don't pay any attention, And I just look at his body of work.
Speaker 2: Well, hang on a minute, are you.
Speaker 6: The one who's going to stake the future of your franchise on a guy you're just really not too sure about? And I'm not suggesting that people should or they shouldn't. I'm just simply saying you'd you'd be naive to think that that doesn't go into the pot of what you considered doing with that pick, and that it shouldn't go into it, because I think all things should go in into the mixing bowl when you consider what you do.
Speaker 2: Anytime you get riled up, Pete, you can always call in. Okay, I'll give you an outlet, all right, Dan, that sounds like fun than Thank you, Peter. That's the Hall of Famer Peter King joining us. Glad we could entertain Pete when he's on his walk here now in semi retirement. Let's see Kevin in Austin. Hi, Kevin, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: BP?
Speaker 8: Kevin.
Speaker 9: I'll get to the point a little quicker.
Speaker 7: Than at WARDO here. Peter basically stole my thunder. I just all a conjecture with shador stuff and all that stuff just wants the tape. Like Sean McVay said to you, yesterday. But the real question I want to pose to the group, and especially to the Minister of Humor, is could you imagine if there was a combine for sportsbookers and Todd had fit teen minutes to explain.
Speaker 9: Himself, he would come off, that's out arrogant, and I'm a little talkie.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, Kevin. I know about arrogant, certainly long winded in not getting to the point that's true arrogant. Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't think you're although sometimes if we push your buttons a little bit, then you know you're very cocky.
Speaker 8: I'll stop reciting my resume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've worked with places I've been.
Speaker 8: I might do that a little bit.
Speaker 2: Hawk in Phoenix, H Hawk, what's on your mind? And Hawk can't. I can't hear you. David in Oklahoma? Hi, David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey David, what's up?
Speaker 10: Dad.
Speaker 11: I'm from the Oklahoma State University, and I would like to say it's nice to hear Paul Harvey's voice on the radio this morning in a while, because I heard that guy. But as partner standards and a life ball Raider fan and to I'll take him. I mean the drama we bring anyways with like Henry Rose and Screwden and everything else. We have a lot as well, like what else we haven't won in twenty five years? Might as well start from scratch and bring all that sweag, all that beeping is try time? Why not man make it exciting and vegas Like, wait, guys, not to dude. There's no one on the free agent market that we can use it the fridge quarterback and we've done that for ten years, sixteen years now, I mean, go ahead and go it all out there and move them.
Speaker 2: Well, you might get that opportunity to get shoot or because after that, you know, Vikings aren't going to franchise Sam Darnold. He's going to be out there. Aaron Rodgers needs a home. Atlanta says they're keeping Kirk Cousins, which I get that. Kirk will be a wonderful mentor of all the quarterbacks. Now he's getting guaranteed money too. That helps. He's going to be a really, really, really expensive mentor. But you know, is Daniel Jones going to be available? It starts to get a you know, Jimmy Garoppolo starts to get a little dry when it comes to the quarterback market there. That's why cam Ward and Shadoor Sanders and Jackson Dart Jalen Millroe are probably more highly regarded than they should be. But the market bears that out there are no quarterbacks and you got teams that need quarterbacks. I don't know if cam Ward's a franchise quarterback, but it certainly feels like he's going to be treated as such, and maybe he goes number one overall. I don't know if Shudoor Sanders is a franchise quarterback. I can only go by and the person that I speak to, who's an NFL scout, he said he would probably have a better opinion next week, do his due diligence, because I did reach out to him this morning. I'm like, where's this coming from? And then he viewed it as this is just sort of the this week, it's this guy. Next week, it's going to be that guy. Next week, it's going to be that guy. And it could be Shador, then it could be cam then it could be Travis Hunter. Oh do you want a guy who's going to play, you know, demands to play both ways or you have to pay him to salary. You know, these are the things that are going to come up. Cam Ward, why did he go to three different schools? I mean, whatever it is, there's going to be a narrative here where they try to break you down a little bit, and it happens every year, and it happens you see to quarterbacks. We'll take a break. Coming up, we'll talk to Matt Miller from the mother Ship. He sent a note to Fritzie saying that that he has not heard anyone talk with conviction about Shador Sanders even being a first rounder. So we'll talk to Matt how he came to that conclusion after.
Speaker 1: This, Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the name. Thus catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 5: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 5: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up eight seven to seven three DP show e me. We had some comments that Trevor Sikima, he is the lead draft analyst at Pro Football Focus, and he sent Fritzy some talking points saying that he has not heard anyone talk with conviction about Shudor Sanders being a QB one in the top ten or even as a first rounder. We attributed that to Matt Miller, ESPN, NFL Draft analyst. So, Matt, I don't know, why don't you tell us how you feel about Shudor Sanders. Do you think he'll be a first round quarterback?
Speaker 8: You can attribute that to me. I've heard all the same things. I think all of us have, especially come out of the combine, Dan, where you all kind of everybody goes to the same three restaurants in Indianapolis and talks late at night. We're all kind of hearing the same stuff. But I would agree with that. I think it's hard to find a team right now. This says, yeah, that's our guy. Crazy. And I just put an article out last week before the Combine, or during the combine actually, and it was ranking the quarterbacks from the past five years. Shudor Sanders was second to last. Kenny Pickett was the only quarterback with a lower grade than him coming into the NFL. So that is in line with what I've seen watching the tape over the last years. Is what I here talking to as many scouts and coaches and general managers as I do this time of year, a lot of people want to like Shadoor Sanders. I don't get the feeling that teams love him not the way that they do cam Ward. There's a sizeable gap right now to where like it's I think you could easily say this year there is a consensus number one quarterback, which is rare that doesn't often happen. Even last year with all the Caleb Williams love. There are teams that like Jadon Daniels. There are teams that like Drake May. We have a true consensus number one quarterback this year and it's cam Ward from Miami.
Speaker 2: Okay, is this just football that we're talking about with Shador Sanders. Now cam Ward, we can get to him in a moment, But is there a smear cam pain with Shador Sanders or are people just being honest with the talent or you know, performance that they saw.
Speaker 8: So I think it's both. I do think that it's about football. He is six foot one. He put on some weight for the combine. He got up to two hundred and twelve pounds. He played closer to two hundred pounds. He doesn't have the biggest arm. He's not the greatest athlete I know. For folks who didn't watch Colorado play, he might be Deon Sanders' son, But he got his mom's feet right. He's not a four or three athlete, but he is incredibly tough, and he's incredibly accurate, and he's willing to stand in the pocket and make some place. I do think on the other side of that is there are going to be people that are gonna see players differently. I've talked to young scouts who loved their interviews with Shudor Sanders. I've talked to older scouts and general managers who were put off by him. And I think that's going to be the case for a lot of the new era of athlete coming into the NFL, where guys are making millions of dollars in college football now, it has prepared them for life a little differently, and so I think you are going to get a disconnect. I tend to not put a ton of stock into those quotes from scouts and gms of oh, we didn't like this interview. It's different if everyone tells you the same thing. I remember asking about Will Levis, and everyone I talked to said the same thing, was like, this guy is just like pent up, like he's trying to be a perfectionist. He's not smooth, he's not fluid. The conversations feel like he's gonna have a heart attack. Well, guess what, he plays the same way on the football field. So that's when I think it matters, is when those interviews match with a play style. She dore is a hell of a player. There's just there's not that love for him out there right now in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Is cam Ward being elevated because there is no competition so he might?
Speaker 8: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 8: If we were talking about last year's drafts, cam Ward would have been the sixth or seventh guy drafted, probably at quarterback, not overall, at quarterback, and that might still make you a top ten pick, right because those guys flew up the board last year. But I do think he's being elevated. It is interesting both quarterbacks Sanders and Ward, they have some bad habits that are gonna need coach out of them. Pam Ward's kind of get dismissed because he has a strong arm. It's like, well, you know, he stands in the pocket way too long. He takes a lot of sacks he doesn't need to. He very often waits for the open man. But he's got a strong arm, so you kind of like you make those excuses for it, Whereas I think both guys are going to need coach pretty hard when they get to the NFL just to learn to play on time. Both guys have a little bit of that Caleb Williams mentality where they think they can stand back there and drift and drift and drift to wait for somebody to pop open and then they'll throw it. What we saw last year for Caleb, who I still love, like, that doesn't work in the NFL, and guys who can play on time are going to have a lot more success early. Both these quarterbacks have to figure that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in college, you can wait, wait, wait, wait, and then throw. In the NFL, you can wait wait and then you better throw. So I mean, it's it's just so much quicker. You have to throw guys open. And Caleb, you know, was doing all this at USC And I remember talking to a friend of mine who's the scout, and he goes, that won't last long in the NFL. He won't last long in the NFL if you think you can escape and you know, improvise, And this scout said that he always goes back to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady when the when the play was over, it was over. They went down in a fetal position. You know, live to play another day. But these college quarterbacks are so you know, Johnny Manziel, he was always going to get out of something. You know, it helped having a great receiver there. But I think that you know, is Tennessee going to take Cam Warden.
Speaker 8: I don't think so. I didn't get that sense. Okay, And I think it's very telling that they are having these guys in for private workouts this week. This is the earliest I've ever heard of a team bringing players in after the combine. And I think they're doing that because they want they want to date with these guys so they can trade this pick, but they want to they want to have that meeting first so they can say, just in case, just in case we missed something, was bring in Cam. They're bringing in Shouldher Sanders. They're going to have an Abdill Carter. And I think you make that decision probably very soon after this week of Okay, Cleveland Brown's New York Giants, whoever it is, We're now open for business, and not only for business. We're far enough along in the process that we can make kind of an educated decision. But I don't get the sense right now that the Titans feel like cam Ward is going to turn this football team around.
Speaker 2: He's Matt Miller, ESPN, NFL Draft analyst. I always look at teams where coaching staffs that they split this season like it's the first eight or nine games, because they may not survive after eight or nine games. The Giant situation, they have to win in those first eight or nine games, and that's the tricky part. Aaron Rodgers gives you a better chance than cam Ward will or should or Sanders. There's probably a few other coaching staffs that have if you're in your second or third year as a head coach, you know, not your first year like Aaron Glenn. But that's where I don't know. So do the Giants play it safe from the coaching perspective, trying to keep your job, and you take Aaron Rodgers instead of cam Ward?
Speaker 7: I think so.
Speaker 8: I think that's why I think we're so all in on Matthew Stafford, and it was no surprise. I expect they'll be in on Sam Darnold to some degree as long as he's not franchise tag today, which sounds like you won't be And I don't know if Sam wants to go back to New York. Right, there's that whole other element of it. But I think what you know, in most years, you would say, you know what, draft the young quarterback and if he shows promise, you keep your job because then you have the hope of, well, we got to develop this quarterback. I don't know that the quarterbacks this year are to that level that if you're Brian Dable or even Kevin Stefanski necessarily where you say I'm gonna put my job on this guy. Who did you feel at any point during the college all season that cam Ward orshe Door Sanders were the best quarterback in college I know they led college and touchdowns, but I never watched on a Saturday and thought, God, this guy is the best quarterback in college football, like I did Jayden Daniels or like I did Joe Burrow. You know, you don't get that level of conviction with these guys. So I do feel like that's where we're getting teams that are saying Cleveland's different, they have to draft a quarterback because of Deshaun Watson. But with the Titans, the Giants it's yeah, maybe we just bring in some competition here. Maybe we tried to bridge quarterback situation for another season, and then if we keep our jobs, then we'll worry about what twenty twenty six might look like.
Speaker 2: The big reason why we wanted to have you on is obviously hand size. Jalen Milrose hand sized. His hands got bigger since the Senior Bowl. How does that happen?
Speaker 8: Almost an inch bigger, not like an incremental He grew out his fingernails an inch bigger. I don't I've talked to hand surgeons this week. How quickly could you do a finger extension? I don't know. You know what's going on. The honest answer is I think what happened at the Senior Bowl is they measured his left hand, for example, and at the combine they measured his right hand. That will happen. That's the only thing I can come up with. You see measurement disparities, and there's some gamesman shit to this.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 8: Was it Brandon Allen come out of Arkansas like ten years ago that was doing the hand stretches to get his hands bigger and it actually worked. So I want to talk to cam Ward I want to find this out. I have a message into his dad, Calvin, to find out the answer to this, because I excuse me to Jalen Milroe, I haven't a message into his agent to find this out. I got to find out because it's I've never I've never heard of an inch. That's that's a lot, that's that's a big time hand growth.
Speaker 2: And I'm wondering about NFL teams who fell in love with the running game, if other teams will follow suit in the draft, will we see an uptick in that you won't be afraid to draft a running back or two in the first round.
Speaker 8: I think you will be afraid, and you also will get the public backlash, except for from mel Kiper, who says you should never draft a running back in the first round. Otherwise you know you're not going to get your beat reporters in there saying, oh my god, I can't believe we took Ashton Genty in the top ten, or we took Omarion Hampton in the top thirty. I think you can point to Bjeon Robinson and Jamier Gibbs even as examples of drafting a guy in the first round. They can come in and be the backbone of your offense. I think more importantly if you have your quarterback, if you're a team that has that figured out, that's the time to draft a running back now, because you have that position solved and you can go back to being a balanced team. But this is one of the best running back classes of not the best running back class I've ever seen. I've been doing this for fifteen years, so I think we've got a shot to have a record for the modern era, which would be thirty running backs drafted. The last time that happened was twenty seventeen, which was Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey, players like that. So I don't know that we see three fly off the board in the top fifteen necessarily, but feel pretty confidently we could see three in the top thirty picks.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Travis Hunter or his agent has said anything, but is there going to be any blowback if he doesn't want to go to a team because of how he thinks they would use him or not use him.
Speaker 8: I haven't heard anything about that. That would be fascinating. I think the sense that I've got is that Travis just loves football, so much, which he does want to go Smarre where he can play both ways, and it truly is like his belief that he will make that team better by doing both. But I think that is an important part of the next forty five days is him having those conversations with teams. And I said before the combine, my number one question of him to him, if I was a general manager, would be what if we said you can only play one way? Which side is that? What do you prefer? I personally think that he would be better as a wide receiver. I have friends in the league who think you would be better at corner. So there is kind of this polarization about which side would he be better at. But I think ultimately it comes down to which side. Do you have a love for one side more than the other or do you care that wide receivers make double with corners?
Speaker 7: Dude?
Speaker 8: Has that factored into your decision making process or the longevity you know he's he's one hundred and eighty eight pounds six foot one hundred and eighty eight pounds. I don't personally want him tackling AJ Brown fifteen times a game. I would rather him be trying to evade those guys than go out and initiate contacts. So there is a lot to that.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 8: He says he can play both ways. I think he can try. My statement has been it is very hard to be great at one position in the NFL, just mentally. It's so hard. So now we're going to divide that time to a rookie and say, hey, not only welcome to the NFL, but but now you got to learn two very very hard positions to transition to the NFL, where we don't see guys as rookies oftentimes have great years as corners, sometimes at receiver. But we're asking him to learn two very hard positions at the same time. I don't know how feasible that is.
Speaker 2: He said that it's tougher to do what he's trying to do than what Sho heeo Tani does by hitting and pitching your thoughts, I.
Speaker 8: Think hitting a baseball is the hardest thing in sports. So I'm going to respectfully disagree as someone who could do neither right. It's easy to sit here in my quarter zip and say one's easier than the other. But I think hitting a baseball when it's one hundred miles an hour is the hardest thing is sports, and then to turn around to be a dominant pitcher. Now to Travis's point, he said, show Hey only pitches once every five games. That's five days. By the way, Travis only have to play football once every seven days. So if we're being honest about the statements, they're both getting some breaks in there. But I think we'll show Hey does he's unprecedented.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you. Is there anybody that we should keep an eye on that you would consider given what happened at the combine that really affected their draft status.
Speaker 8: I think Nick even worry the safety from South Carolina went from being a late first rounder to maybe a top fifteen pick to be six three two twenty toront of four to three. He looks like Derwin James out there. He has ball skills. He had four picks five pass breakups this year. He's a great tackler as well. So I still think as we try to figure out how to handle mobile quarterbacks, defenders like him are the answers. So he's I think he's the biggest riser coming out of it all.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you. We'll talk to you again. Thank you, Matt. Thanks An that's Matt Miller, ESPN NFL Draft analyst. So the Pro Football Focus lead analyst Trevor Sikima did say that he does and even see should Or Sanders as a first round pick, and Matt kind of back that up. I don't know. Now, once again, this is what happens. Everybody has a consensus until the people get paid to have a consensus. You know, those who are the scouts, those who are the gms, the coaches. Now you're starting to hear real, real conversation about this instead of how many times have we watched a game and you go, godie, that guy he could play in the NFL, And then all of a sudden you realize, no, maybe he can't play in the NFL, or if he does, he'll be a backup in the NFL. College, you know, can inflate you. The NFL deflates you. You can be in college and you're like just whipping it around and they're like, this is easy, and all of a sudden you realize it's not easy. And that's where these scouts, the people who are looking at these prospects, now, this is real, not you know, drive by innocent advice to and hey, yeah, that guy's gonna be he could, He's gonna be number one on my board. Look, I love Mel Kuiper, but when you look at somebody's draft board during the season, and then you look at it after the season, and then you look at it as we get ready for the draft, it changes dramatically. Well what happened? It's you get people who are paid to do this to break down these prospects because their job depends on it. Mel's not getting fired for his draft board, but a guy who says, let's take Shador Sanders number two overall could get fired. We'll take a break. Your phone calls coming up.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America and the official trading cards of the program. Speaking of it, Shay Gill just Alexander has scored at least twenty points in fifty six consecutive games. That's the longest streak since James Harden went fifty seven games in twenty eighteen. Who made this, Marvin? This is Lee in Cavalas cavalas.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 8: I like it.
Speaker 2: Heard it on the Twitter machine. Somebody sent it to me and I was like, oh, this is a jam.
Speaker 8: I like it.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 12: This is the quality that we need if you're going to even think the thought about sending a statur Day song, and it needs to be good like this.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, I had like a cool in the gang earth winning fire cutting thing to it. I didn't go wrong with that, certainly earth Winning fire Tire rec dot Com the official Tire Expert or the DP show, try the easy to use Tire Decision God, full lineup of Continental Tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, Tire rec dot Com the way tire buying should be. Give me just a little a little more of that little taste of that again.
Speaker 8: I like it.
Speaker 2: I like it. Yeah, Paul, I want to part my hair down the middle and go roller skating right now. I like it. Matt in California, Matt, thanks for holding what do you.
Speaker 13: Have for me?
Speaker 8: DP?
Speaker 2: Good morning a shrinking six.
Speaker 13: First time, first time, last time caller. Just appreciate you and all of you guys for all these years of entertainment I've been listening to you since one with Rob Dibble, and I felt compelled I had to give you a call today. Today mark's the thirty fifth anniversary of Haink Gathers in Gersten Pavilion. I was a student there, a student of only thirty five hundred undergrad We had our second round game in the tournament. We're hosting Portland State. We just beat some terrible team called Gonzaga from Washington by thirty the night before, and we were all geared up for this game and sitting in the stands at five o'clock on a Sunday afternoon, we watched his hink slammed in alley up from Terrerel Lowry and then he ran back and a sudd hit as he fell to the floor.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did Sports Center that night, and I remember we had Chris Myers as a reporter in Los Angeles and he did a great on the job. In the moment reporting that night, I was anchoring with Chris Berman. Chris Berman was a guest hosting on Sports that night, and uh, you know, we had a photographer, their cameraman, and he he focused on Hank gather after, you know, he had the basket and then he started to backpedal and the cameraman stayed on Hank Gathers and you saw him. You saw him hit the floor, and uh, you know, changed college athletics, certainly changed college basketball because you had to. Everybody has a defibrillator now to shock somebody back to life. And I don't believe they had one in the arena that night, but uh, yeah, Hank Athers and such a fun team, Loyal to Merrymount, fun team. They were playing NBA style basketball back in nineteen ninety. Paul west Ed was playing NBA the style you have now, and that is we'll give you two, We're going to take a three. We're going to run you. We're going to run you, and we're going to go constant bo kimball. They were a fun team.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Put if you go on YouTube, you could see a lot of highlights of Hank Gathers for people who don't know him.
Speaker 2: In eighty eight eighty nine, his junior.
Speaker 3: Year at Loyal to Marrymount, he averaged thirty three points a game and fourteen rebounds without shooting threes in any way.
Speaker 2: And he ended up from you know, they were from Philadelphia, Him and Bow they ended up at loyal to Merrymount. Yeah, he started at USC and then all of a sudden loyal to Merrymount and really haven't had much from loyal to Merrymount, I don't think since then. But that was a up and down run. We're going. They were in better shape than everybody, yeah, Marph.
Speaker 12: Now how good were they nationally? Where they looked at as a threat to go to the final four during that season?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, I don't know what they were ranked, but Hank was I think considered the best player in the country. Bow was a great player too, And then they had role players and was it Jeff Fryer, Yeah, the shooter, Yeah, yeah, they had. That was fun team. Yeah, fun team. Chris and Brooklyn. Hi, Chris, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: It's not budd Hey.
Speaker 9: Thanks. Going on a little vibe shift here. Since twenty twenty three, November twenty twenty three, I've had a kind of spreadsheet open while I listen to the show, and I've been recording when I remember to enter the heights and weights of people that give them voluntarily. Okay, I have two hundred and thirty six entries, including the last guys just called and I have the average heights, weight, and body mass index of the Dan Patrick caller.
Speaker 2: Chris, what do you do the rest of the day?
Speaker 9: You know, I participate in various things.
Speaker 2: What is the average height and weight of a DP show listener?
Speaker 9: If you're ready, The average height is five to eleven, the average weight is two hundred and six pounds. That makes sure a body mass index of twenty eight point seven, making the average caller empirically soft.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Chris. Maybe I don't want to know what he does the rest of the day. Uh, Andrew and Washington, Hi Andrew, welcome back.
Speaker 10: Hey, good morning DP and Danna, thanks for taking my call. I got an NFL draft kind of take and then I have a real quick stat of the day. But I don't think we should fall for the you know, the cam Ward scam or the Shador Sanders shade or anything like that. For some reason, with not that great a quarterbacks in this draft, I wonder what draft kings over under for quarterbacks taking in the first round will be one point five two point five over under. I have a feeling I don't know why the leader in passing yards in the NCAA, Kyle McCord, might come out to be the best quarterback in the pros. He did throw the ball to Jackson Smith and Jigba and Marvin Harrison junior at Ohio State before going to Syracuse. So I just I don't know why no analysis there, just my thought. My stat of the day is Sai Gilgis Alexander has joined Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, and James Harden as the only players in the last twenty five years in the NBA to score thirty plus points in thirty or thirty five or more games in three straight seasons. Maybe a deep cut, but stat of the day.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Andrew. Final hour coming up, the lead draft analyst at Pro Football Focus apparently doesn't believe shed Or Sanders is a first round draft pick. He'll tell us why. Coming up. More of your phone calls as well. Two hours in the books on this Tuesday. One more to go.