Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports.
Speaker 2: Radio John Shier the third season dukead basketball coach moving into the Final four. You've been there as a player, You've been there as an assistant coach. What's it like to be there as a head coach?
Speaker 3: Dan, Well, it's great to be with you. You know it couldn't be more excited about this opportunity. I'll feel it, you know, I'll feel it in person in San Antonio, But to be honest with you, it feels surreal, you know, like it's the promised Land. Obviously we're hungry for more, but couldn't be more excited by this opportunity.
Speaker 2: You always want to be the guy who follows, the guy who follows the legend. I'll go back to John Wooden, and you know you didn't get that. You've got the opportunity to coach, but you're following the legend. In Mike Ryzewski, I don't know if you did research or talk to people who were the ones following the legend as opposed to following the person following the legend.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, Dan, I did more research on successions then, uh, I think you can imagine you know, especially in sport, right, but even in business.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I tried to find connections about you know, really why you know others weren't as successful and what went wrong and because in most cases it wasn't about what went right. You know, it's it's been, it's been very difficult, And I think the first and most important thing I found was to be really connected with you know, the former coach or the transition and for me, you know the fact that Coach K and I are still as close as could be and the succession. Me and him were so connected about what had to change and what had to improve and what I had to do. But then obviously you're not gonna win if you try to be somebody else. And so I had to come to terms very quickly with I'm not coach K, not gonna try to be him. I'm not gonna try to coach like him. I'm gonna I'm gonna be myself. And wherever that takes us, you know, I can live with at the end of the day, because that's the only way I'm going to succeed.
Speaker 2: Is there a new philosophy in how to build a team in college basketball? You guys might be the anomaly. You got three freshmen who are going to be lottery picks. But you're seeing a lot of these teams that a couple of freshmen, but it's really about getting these you know, transfer guys or guys who are going to stay for three or four years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it has changed a lot. I think the biggest difference is now you have to build your team based on year to year. You know, it's and look, it's when I played, this is only fifteen years ago. When I played the starting lineup in my group, we had over one hundred starting game, over one hundred games together. And look the team we're playing in Houston. Houston has great experience together. But for the most part, it is year to year. I think for me, the challenge is trying to find some level of continuity, which I think still can be done in a different way. We're still bringing in really talented, already made players that we develop over the course of the year and have big expectations like the guys you you know you had mentioned as freshman now, but I think we do it our own way, and that's what I'm proud of. You know, I think it's not going to be cookie Cutter, we need this amount of transfers, returners, freshmen. I think it's based on the level of readiness that the freshmen we recruit have and then also the returners we can possibly bring back. And I think as you look at our roster, Dan, the combination of the Seon James, the Malik Browns, the Mason Gillis, with the Tyrees, Proctor and Caleb Foster, well that helps the freshmen having some level of experience with them.
Speaker 5: How would you do against Proctor in a shooting contest?
Speaker 3: I would beat them, beat me in the game, but I'm gonna beat any of our guys still, I think, Dan.
Speaker 2: How do you coach a freshman as opposed to a junior senior.
Speaker 3: I just think for these guys there's a level of that they need to always hear the truth. You have to hit them right between the eyes. But also at the same time, you have to give them a really good confidence because they're going through something they've never experienced before. You know, even I'm like, I'm so impressed with the maturity these guys have. Playing in my first NCAA tournament game and I remember how I felt, and these guys haven't acted like it's.
Speaker 5: How did you feel.
Speaker 3: I felt, you know, jittery, you know, I felt, you know, pressure. You know. We are six seed playing Vcus an eleven seed, and you just I think there's a tendency then to when you're the higher seed, to play not to lose instead of playing to win. And so I've tried to just ingrain in them from day one in the preseason of being the hunters, you know, not the hunted, and just going after this thing. And they've embraced that and they've done that. But I think with the freshmen, just to continue to give them confidence at the same time of trying to prepare them for things that they hadn't seen before. And that's what I've tried to do.
Speaker 2: He's Duke's head coach John Shier joining us on the program. Take me back to the Butler National title game when you want Gordon Hayward wasn't your guy?
Speaker 5: Was he you were?
Speaker 3: He wasn't my guy in terms of me guarding him? Yeah, yeah, I was ahead on the play that he got the left. So I think people always think about last half court shot, which is right there, the one before that he had. We were under out of bounds, we were up by one and he had an isolation play at the top of the key and he ended up shooting about like a fifteen footer from the baseline. I thought it was going in, Dan, I was right under the basket. It just probably if it's an inch shorter or it goes in, it goes long. So that shot, to me, was the one that scared me. I was already thinking about the how we were gonna win with the timeout or what we were going to do, but the half court shot was something I'll never forget and I just I felt to his off with the last second. I was ahead on the play, but but thank god he missed it.
Speaker 5: If he hit that shot, he becomes Latner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, And probably I don't know if I'm the head coach to Duke. I don't know if I think the whole I think my whole life is. I think there's a lot of things that could be different from from from that shot.
Speaker 5: But do you explain to your kids.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if you feel this, but the Latner years, even JJ Reddick, people hated Duke.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't feel that way.
Speaker 2: This is this is a team that people may root for, maybe not root against but they're not, you know, they're they're like, hey, Cooper Flag looks great. I mean, you got it seems like a fun team. They play, you know, great offense and defense. Are you guys embraceable?
Speaker 3: I share, hope so. And look, it's funny because I think we are always in brain. But like you said, I think it's a different feeling, and I can't explain why that is. I hope it's the fact that you have a group of really talented players that really embrace playing the right way.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's led to some beautiful offense and they're tough, you know, like they're not afraid of anything. So I think that combination maybe has been received well. But again not JJ Reddick was the same. I want. I don't know what it is. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: Have you had the conversation with Cooper Flag about coming back?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 5: Just is there going to be a conversation?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: Although I can dream about that, yes you can, I just you know, I think that's all it is in this case. I think it's a dream. And uh, I think he's got to take the next dream in his life and be the topic in the NBA Draft and start his professional career.
Speaker 5: Before I let you go.
Speaker 2: Remember two to Steve Nash and he said during his career with Phoenix, coaches told him he was too unselfish. There are times where I see Cooper flag maybe too unselfish. The Phoenix Suns had to tell Steve Nash to shoot more. Is Cooper Flagg sort of in that it seems like he's really really engaged to get everybody involved. And maybe I'm not going to say the detriment you're hit the final four, but are there times when you want him to be a little more selfish.
Speaker 3: I think you hit the nail on the head with him, Dan, because he's part of is what makes him so special is him bringing along as teammates and his feel for his passing. It is an incredible weapon for our team. But also he can want to defer at times to get them going and wor at our best. He's at our best when he's in complete attack mode. Teammates will get shots from that. But that's something I have to It's probably the biggest thing we have to get on him about and just making sure he's not deferring and continually just looking to dominate which he can.
Speaker 2: Good luck in the final four. John, great to connect with you again. Thank you, thanks for having me. Appreciate you and so John Shire.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 5: In the world.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 5: I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 7: Check us out.
Speaker 6: We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 8: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 5: Most interactive show on Planetar.
Speaker 7: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Hello friends, Jim Dan's Hall of Famer lead play by playboye NFL and CBS host of The Masters on CBS. But this week, big time Houston Cougar fan Jim joining us on the program. How nervous do you get before watching your Cougars play?
Speaker 4: Before, during, and even after. I love hearing you say hello friends. By the way, that a good way to start my day, my friend. But I am so stoked about this weekend. Listen, we all have that little boy inside of us, you know that fan that still lives and has a place in your heart. What sports used to feel like. I have it with all things the University of Houston, so football, basketball, whatever it might be. But I am absolutely in love with this team. Kelvin Sampson, the head coach, He's just incredible and I will be there in the stands wearing red and cheering us on against the Mighty Duke Blue Devils come Saturday evening.
Speaker 5: How much did Fi slam a jama break your heart?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: Big time?
Speaker 4: April fourth, nineteen eighty three, I was sitting in the stands in Albuquerque, in the pit at the opposite end from the Lorenzo Charles game winning basket. And you know that date, as you can tell, it was only forty two years ago. It's still is very much in my heart forty two years ago. Tomorrow it's it's front and center.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I got to tell you that was a pivotal day in my life and career because you know, people don't know this.
Speaker 6: It's more than just having gone to the school.
Speaker 4: My whole career really was channeled being on the golf team and the golf coach introducing me to Guy Lewis, the Hall of Fame coach for Houston, who said, young man, I'd like it to be our public address announcer at our home basketball games. And that turned into me then while still a student, hosting his coaches show on the NBC affiliate. It gave me cred when I was just twenty years old. So yeah, it's been a long running love affair for some reason. They even have a banner now right next to the names of Elvin Hayes and Keem Elijah Won and Clyde Drexeler and Otis Birdsong. It's nuts commemorating my own NCAA tournament years and gifts of being able to do the tournament for so long. But in that eighty three game against NC State, I actually rode to the pit on the bus with the team.
Speaker 6: These were my buddies, you know.
Speaker 4: I named Clyde the Glide and we were just a very close knit group. Guy Lewis said, you come with us.
Speaker 5: Wait one came up with Clyde the Glide.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, okay, you didn't know that.
Speaker 5: Did you come up with fi Islama Jama?
Speaker 6: I did not. Tom he bunk dead. Oh yeah, Tommy came up with that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wrote the forward to Clydes book, and you know we're fall of us. Are still great friends to this day. Well they showed up last year when they had that jersey banner race and I love these guys. Anyway, here we are at Albuquerque and I don't have a credential or a ticket.
Speaker 6: I just ride in with the team.
Speaker 4: Guy says, meet us back here after the game, get back to the hotel. So I go into this arena two and a half hours before the game, and where do you go. There are no seats with backs, There's only benches. And there in the corner, behind a basket was the CBS set and I looked up and there was Brent Musburger running through the elements of the show. He was hosting it. It was Gary Bender. I love Gary. Gary and Billy Packer were going to be calling the game, so I thought, that's where I'm gonna sit. I sat right up against the set. I mean, Brent was I really could have tied his shoes. It was that close, and I was just looking at him. I was the only guy in the arena. He was probably wondering, why is this punk hanging out this close? And I saw Bill Egan, a stage manager with whom I would later work, saying let's go through this.
Speaker 6: And I turn around. I saw there's a tunnel prompter there.
Speaker 4: And I can hear everything was three feet away from me, and I mean I was mesmerized it. The great Brent Musburger, who I adore and love to this day, was right there.
Speaker 6: And that was a thrill for me.
Speaker 4: Three years later, as fate would have it, Brent's now calling the games. CBS is in an arena that no longer exists in Dubtleas they have a set just like the one in Albuquerque.
Speaker 6: And I'm the guy that was sitting in that chair.
Speaker 4: Three years later in eighty six, I was hosting the Final Four and I was pitching it to Brent courtside at the start of the broadcast. So I've been given a lot of blessings, but that's a very big one.
Speaker 2: If I said, you can call one more Masters or one more.
Speaker 5: Super Bowl, but you have to choose withme on.
Speaker 2: What I'm a journalist. I got to ask these questions to It's a good problem to have. By the way, you could get problem Masters or one more super Bowl.
Speaker 4: I think you know the answer to that. I mean, I'll let you answer it. You know the answer to that as I listen. I've been given the blessing of having I think it's the fourth most Super Bowl calls of all time type with Kurt Goudi. So they're they're they're all special. But I wouldn't trade the Masters for anything in the world. So yeah, it's important to me in a major championship golf. We have the BGA Championship that that means a lot to me, big time.
Speaker 6: I got to call the Open Championship over.
Speaker 4: On the BBC for a number of years when the BBC still had it was the foreign voice over there. The only one I've never called is the US Open, which you know, would have been a thrill to have the chance to do a national Open because I care so much about it. But the Masters is just it's it's again that little boy. We talked about what's inside here, what's inside the heart? I wanted to one of those voices. I didn't care about being on television. I want to be able to tell the stories like the voices of my youth were telling me long ago.
Speaker 2: He's Jim Nance and he will be calling the Masters. What is this the fortieth?
Speaker 6: It will be number forty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which in the broadcasting Longevity graphic.
Speaker 6: If you have it there, time can put it up.
Speaker 2: You're looking over it, Todd, he can't do it, Jim, Jimmy to barely get you on the phone.
Speaker 6: I tie the.
Speaker 4: Great Vern Lundquist for the broadcast longevity records.
Speaker 5: So this is a eleven year retirement tour. Is that what to sound?
Speaker 4: No, listen, I actually have it. We had this discussion on your show in twenty sixteen, Melissa Miller, my longtime chief of staff. This thing just went viral last week for no good reason. It was not the story. I just happened to say it in conversation. But when it gets fun, like I am or making an announcement, this is my retirement. I would never want that attention. I would never do that. I just happen to say, like I said on your show nine years ago, and I said to Richard Ditch, and I said to many other people out there through the years, Alex Myers and some other guys. I said, that would be, in the perfect world, my last show. I'd be able to make it if I could, God Willing, CDs Willing, Augusta Willing. I would love to get to the one hundredth playing of the Master's Tournament. And if that's the case, and if we did get there, that'd probably be my retirement. Take But I say that with a twinkle in my eye. Dan, I don't really think about it. I'm thinking about this show now. By the way, Maybe I don't make it there. Maybe I go beyond it. I don't want to start putting a countdown clock on it.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I got a shot for a gift for you, and so I don't know, do I have eleven years to get you something or.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, yeah, don't get me one of those rocking chairs.
Speaker 5: No, no, I'm not going to get you that.
Speaker 4: You know the first time I said it, and you're one of the first ever said. And we did a whole show on this. My great teammate Kevin McHale, not the basketball player, got a countdown clock, and I showed up at our next golf event and it was in the corner of our tower and it said like twenty years eighteen days in the second was going like you see down to times square.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I thought it was funny. It was a nice gag gift.
Speaker 4: But there it was the next week and the week after, and it really made me uncomfortable. I did not like seeing my life go by like that. I said, you got to take that thing down. So I don't even want to think that way. No, there's no there's no announcement here. All I know is I'm less enough to be able to be there next week for the fortieth, and I'm going to give it my all with deep appreciation in my heart.
Speaker 5: Can you show up and just play golf at Augusta?
Speaker 4: No, no, I wouldn't probably show up anywhere and.
Speaker 6: Just assume anything. No, No, I would never do that.
Speaker 5: No, Okay.
Speaker 4: I've been as a guest, which has been a great gift. I played there a couple of times with Arnold Palmer. By the way, I just a name drop on you here. I was one of several of my greatest thrills. And I've had some really treasured invitations to play there, and I have through the years, most recently March a year ago.
Speaker 6: And you would you shoot, it was a big number. It was a really big.
Speaker 5: Three was it three digits? No, not that big, okay, not that big nineties bad lely.
Speaker 6: It's not that far away from it. Was not good. And it took me a long time before I've been registered a par now.
Speaker 4: I I used to, you know, I say, like, I played there a lot of times, but I would get stuck on You got to realize I'm in my sixties now. I mean I first started coming to Augusta when I was three and a half years out of college and I was twenty six years old.
Speaker 6: I could still hit it. I could hit it, I could take the.
Speaker 4: Club back to parallel and all these things I can't do any longer.
Speaker 6: And I could shoot in the mid to high.
Speaker 4: Se Those days are gone for me there at Augusta or anywhere else for that matter.
Speaker 2: I always marveled that you go from March Madness, where your voice is used differently, and a football game your voice is used differently, to then the Masters, where your voice is used differently, and you don't have that much separation between March Madness and the Masters, but just gearing up and voice wise, and then not gearing down. But like, how do you reset to go?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: This is my mindset's all different. My voice is completely different.
Speaker 6: I don't think about it at all.
Speaker 4: I'm glad to ask this question because if you did, it doesn't sound authentic to me. If you were to take your show right now and step outside from that warm fireplace environment you have, and you happen to walk outside and you were ringside for a UFC bout or you were right in the middle of Auburn and Alabama in football, and you continue your show with the next segment, would your voice be like this. No, it wouldn't be, because there'd be all this ambiance sound, there would be all this energy and excitement, and you would naturally feel like you have to push your voice to cut through that. I never have given that a thought in my life. I just go with whatever the environment feels like where I feel like I've got to take my voice. And August is not a screaming place. Golf isn't a screaming sport. It's much more mellow. It's more like, truthfully, it's more like the setting that I'm looking at you in right now. It's a conversation piece. I find it a great challenge. I know probably most people think, how challenging is it. It's not like calling a basketball game up and down the floor.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 4: I actually think it puts a premium on your ability to tell a story and to also be able to see what your skill set is as far as being able to communicate and your word choices and your phraseology and your ability to be succinct or long form storytelling. I actually think it's the greatest demand that I've ever had in my career, and I think a lot of people have done golf would say the same.
Speaker 2: Thing more concerned about the future of college basketball or the future of golf.
Speaker 4: Not concerned about the future of golf. It's been around for five hundred years.
Speaker 5: But with LIV.
Speaker 6: What about it?
Speaker 2: Those players playing there? What like do we merge? Does golf need to merge?
Speaker 4: I don't know the answer to that. Now lives, I think is in its fourth year. There hasn't been a whole lot of change in the last year. If you've noticed, the turnover has slowed down. Meanwhile, the PGA Tour is developing a lot of great young players. Let's take a guy like lou vig Oberg who might win next week, for example. I think the PGA Tour is doing just fine, and that's not an indictment of Live by any means. But my concern on your question is future college basketball that may not live as we know it another five hundred years, and may not live another fifteen years because the portal in the NIL it's difficult. I painted doom and glum. I don't want to say it's about to be extinct. It's not going to be. But what we knew it as what we grew up with, that doesn't that model doesn't exist anymore, and some people have a real problem with that. This is I want to put a pitch in here from my school here, the University of Houston, as we go into this weekend. We represent college basketball the way we used to know it better than anybody maybe in America. Our guys stay. We had everybody come back except Jamal shed who was done eligibility and went to the NBA. He was a great leader. I grieved that he's not being able to experience his final four. But we have guys that have been there four or five because of the extra COVID year, even six years for Juwan Roberts. And yeah, we have to play the nil game, but our guys aren't racing to the portal. They believe in their coach. There's a family culture there. They're all in and they love their school. They love their brotherhood and bonding with their teammates, and they love that Samson family. And in a day where we have to every year be reintroduced to major programs and say who are the newcomers this year, we're going to get to watch for one year, Well, Houston, we've gone through a long stretch and yet we've had to see guys graduate. But by and large, by and large, we are the model that won back in the nineties. Our guys stay and they care and it's neat to see the word loyalty still exist and not racing to a portal. I mean my last few years of doing basketball. I did the tournament for thirty seven years, either hosting or calling it. See five year players who were five different major Division one programs, even conferences. And you know, you bring a guy in, you train him, you coach him, and the next thing you know, the season ends and he's looking to see what opportunities are somewhere else. So I'm proud of this bunch. I'm proud of what Calvin has developed. And this is our seventh time at the Final four. That's a major number. Second and four years under coach Samson, but we've never won the championship. We've got to beat a good Duke team to get to Monday Night. But maybe this is our year. We still get undervalue and underrated that someone say to me yesterday, Yeah, you guys are good, but Duke's this, this and this and this.
Speaker 6: Okay. I hear that every game.
Speaker 4: I heard it going into the Tennessee game, orard it going into the Purdue game, or it going into the Big Twelve Conference, which we've been in for two years and we've absolutely run away with the conference two for two, very strong basketball conference.
Speaker 5: I like this. We'll see Jim nance fan. I like this the past.
Speaker 6: You know, you haven't had this before. I got to let it out somewhere, you know, And.
Speaker 5: I'm going to help you.
Speaker 2: When Ludwig Oberg wins and you go Oberg, oh my, is a tribute to Dick Enburg.
Speaker 6: I like that, you know.
Speaker 4: You know how much I treasure the history of our industry and the names of Yesterdyear and Dick worked the masters with us, probably the last ten years of his career.
Speaker 6: Oh my, Ludwig Oberg.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 6: That's not bad. I'll put that one. I'll put that one older.
Speaker 4: What should I say when McElroy completes the career Grand Slam instead, come.
Speaker 6: On on the spot. You gotta feel it. It's got to be organic.
Speaker 5: It's glory for Rory he completes.
Speaker 6: That's not bad. Glory for Rory.
Speaker 5: Thank you, let's go, thank you.
Speaker 6: I'm going to tell you right now, glory for Rory.
Speaker 5: It'll make the show wins next week.
Speaker 4: It may not be the final popcall, It'll be said somewhere from the end of the competition.
Speaker 6: So when we sign off the air the glory for Rory, I will be channeling you, Dan at that moment. You have my word right now.
Speaker 4: If McElroy wins, I'm going to say something about glory for.
Speaker 5: Rory and you don't have to mention my name. You don't know.
Speaker 4: I was going to ask you what kind of attribution Now we don't run credits at AUGUSTA, but maybe we can a graphic that says glory for Rory.
Speaker 2: Jim Worry, Jim Nance. Jim Nance's words provided by Dan Patrick.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 5: By the way I did.
Speaker 2: My bad moment was CBS when they tried to hire me years ago. Sean McManus, Yeah, yeah, you never heard this story. No, no, I was to hear it mid nineties. I'm a big deal at the Sports Center and he wants to hire me at CBS. He said, pick any job. You can pick any job. And then I said, but I don't want to go to CBS sport because that's all you. I think you just had basketball, you had just lost football or something.
Speaker 4: We had the NCAA tournament, yes, but I was going to also had we.
Speaker 6: Also had a little tradition unlike any.
Speaker 5: They wouldn't let me. They wouldn't have let me. It's not a sport.
Speaker 6: Oh no, it's a terrible championship. I know.
Speaker 2: But I said that I was going to take Pad O'Brien's job, and Sean says, pick a job, and then I was so smug and I go, but I don't want to go to CBS sport.
Speaker 5: It's terrible. I mean, we could have been cohorts.
Speaker 6: I feel like we are anyway we are we are. I mean I was talking about my Houston Cougar's and a brotherhood.
Speaker 4: I truly feel like we are. And there's some others that are kind of now we're in the same age bracket here. Yeah, we've all been fortunate enough to beat on the national broadcast for about the same length of time.
Speaker 5: Yep, very well.
Speaker 4: I think you know how much I love you and how bostome I know you are, So we have that.
Speaker 6: So I do feel like we're cohorts. Cohorts is what you call colleagues.
Speaker 2: Just remember it's glory for Rory. He is completed the career Grand Slam.
Speaker 6: You're wanting it right over the put now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oberg oh my ah, hey, what happened to the old sound alike contest we used to have about this time of year?
Speaker 2: Well, when you lost your own sound alike contest, I canceled it. We had somebody who sounded better as you than you, and I thought, you know what.
Speaker 4: I did, I lost. I lost a guy from I think he was from Arizona.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was fun.
Speaker 4: I think we need to bring it back. I'll talk to my people, people, I'll talk to my people. We'll see if you can work it out.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you great talk to you. Have fun.
Speaker 6: Appreciate you. I love your pal and your colleague.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: We got the final four coming up. Florida, Auburn, Houston and Duke. Duke was favored by four and a half. It went up to five and a half. I think that was two days ago. I kind of like Houston with the points there, Florida and Auburn. I'd like Auburn to win that out right now once again entertainment purposes. Only if you want to hear the real professionals. Dan Patrick takes a Gamble podcast. We recorded that yesterday, Shayan Irving Bad, Larry Dylanographicsky of Edible at danpatrick dot com. Women's Final four Tonight, Texas against South Carolina, Connecticut against UCLA. The Raiders extend Gino Smith and the Cardinals locked up one of my favorite players and he plays for a team that's not very good. The Cards locking up Trey McBride. He's a tight end. I don't think he scores many touchdowns, but it feels like he is.
Speaker 5: He's all over the place. He had one hundred and eleven catches.
Speaker 2: And I just kept thinking, damn, this guy just he never stops, keeps coming backs. Now he's one of those He's good, but not that famous kind of guy.
Speaker 5: And you know, look, the league is littered with that.
Speaker 2: But when I watch the Cardinals play, I can't help but I can't take my eyes off Trey mcbrine just because he's involved constantly. But he got locked up by the Cardinals, so great, good for him. I'd love to be talking about Jahn Morant hitting a game winner, but I can't because it's Joamorant and he did it again, hit the game winner against the heat. And look, you're in a playoff push jockeying for position here both teams are and Jahn Morant had the game winner. Now this is the next game. After he did the gun gesture to Buddy Heel, he got a talking to by the commissioner and then he goes out and then last night does another gun gesture as well.
Speaker 5: This is similar.
Speaker 2: I think to hey, you got pulled over by the police and they give you a warning. Hey you're speeding, don't speed all right, officer? And then what do you do? You peel out and then you get pulled over again, Like what are you doing?
Speaker 5: I just told you I'm going to give you a warning. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: John Moran is forcing the NBA. He's forcing Adam Silver and he's really he's embarrassing the NBA. Now in a vacuum, Okay, is this a big deal?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know this?
Speaker 5: We have gestures, we have you know, unfortunately we have too much of that.
Speaker 1: And this.
Speaker 2: But you were warned. You've already been suspended a couple of times with a real gun. So when you have priors and you have a history. I just don't want this to be ten years from now, you go, remember that guy with Memphis Johnmer? Yeah, Lee, what could have been? I've seen phenomenal talents in all sports and then you just can't They can't help themselves. And I don't know if a teammate says, come on, do they have the guy who says, come on, your coach just got fired. I don't know what role he played in that. But you're in a playoff push, you've been suspended, and you point the imaginary gun again, like, what are you doing? You came in as a feel good story? This guy out of nowhere? How did people miss on this guy at Murray's State? Well, maybe we're starting to realize maybe why they missed out. Maybe there was stuff that was leading up to this. Off the court, he gives you highlights every single night. He's fascinating, phenomenal, but he's flawed because I don't know if anybody is really taking ownership of him because he's not. Is his dad or his dad just a cheerleader here? I mean, these are serious things because now you're affecting a career. Now are you going to get suspended the rest of the regular season. Now you affect other people. If he wants to do something on Instagram live with a gun. Okay, you can be stupid, but this is where you're affecting an entire city, a coaching staff, and your teammates.
Speaker 5: Just play great basketball. You don't have to be a gangster.
Speaker 6: Just play.
Speaker 2: Be great. But you get to a certain point where he's over twenty five. It's like, man, when he was twenty two, he was Anthony Edwards. Well now we're twenty five, and you wonder where are we going with this? He's I don't know. Are you all in? Do you want to be a basketball player? Do you want to be a star, Do you want to be a leader. Do you want to be the poster or child? Do you want to be first or second team?
Speaker 5: All invY?
Speaker 2: And maybe you don't. I could only approach this. It's almost parental that I look at this like somebody you got to grab somebody and say and if this you know the suspension didn't work where it cost him millions of dollars because you had a gun, and then you had a gun again, and now you're doing the fake gun, and then you do the fake gun again. At some point somebody's got to help him because he's not going to help himself. And maybe he doesn't know got a big contract here, but yeah, I saw it again last night, and we should be talking about what a clutch play. Got the ball you went on the road, and then he does that. All right, we'll come up with a pole question in here. It's one of those where now the commissioner is going to have to act, and I don't know what he'll do. I mean, I think what he should do is say I can't put up with this. Given how polarizing this issue is in America, with guns, everything that's happened, we can't be cavalier about this. It can't be all fun in games and this goofy and hey, you know, bang bang Nope, nope, nope, no, no. I would suspend him and then see how the team does the rest of the regular season. But that would be you know, I go to the old school. I go to the David Stern school, you know. And then John Moran says that he doesn't care what people saying anymore negative comments. Yeah, he says, I'm used to it pretty much a villain for two years now. Who who made you a villain. You made you a villain, You were a feel good story. People loved watching you play. You made you. Nobody else did. And as I said when I came on, I'd love to be talking about man.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: Somebody wants the ball in a clutch situation and they hit a big shot and you're navigating your playoff seating here, but instead we're not.
Speaker 5: That's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: And I know you have NBA players say, oh, you guys, just focus on the negative stuff. Help me not focus on the negative stuff. Okay, I'd be more than happy to talk about how great Joker was the other night and Steph Curry was the other night, which I did. But then you get these resets where you're like, come on, and especially a repeat offender. That's the disappointing part of all of this. Did you learn anything? Apparently it didn't.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 5: What's pole question today?
Speaker 3: There's a fun one.
Speaker 9: It's not really a pole question, but it's a very fun fill in the blank if you will. From Paul Yer, which fan base has no sense of humor about itself or their team, we can populate that. Okay, is that I start with the Cowboys, then we might call this the Dallas Cowboys poll question.
Speaker 5: But teams that have no sense of humor about themselves.
Speaker 10: Yes, we're trying to fill out a pole question about teams and fan bases that have no sense of humor about themselves. So when we put forth that name of that fan base, they're not gonna have a sense of humor by being on the pole question.
Speaker 9: It's like a cycle inspired by the Buffalo Bills, obviously of Yankee Yankee fans.
Speaker 5: Yankee, Sure we could do that. Who else doesn't have a say?
Speaker 9: I mean, I guess the Lakers too?
Speaker 5: Really? Okay?
Speaker 10: Who else fan bases that are defensive fan bases when you call them out, like, oh, I don't want to say their names. But there's some sec schools that if you critique them.
Speaker 5: Wait wait, wait, you can't come up with a pole question. Maybe I don't want to say it.
Speaker 10: Okay, schools like Alabama and Ohio State if you jab them lightly, they go scorched earth back on and other schools as well.
Speaker 5: But those are like peak, Yeah, what's gonna happen? What you mentioned? Ohio State?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Are they sensitive? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Alabama? Yes they are?
Speaker 9: Actually yeah, you know now that I think about a Michigan fans take themselves very serious.
Speaker 2: Yes, well about the National Championship and the cheating scandal.
Speaker 9: Oh sorry, Michigan men take themselves very a Michigan.
Speaker 10: Man richies in line for.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, we can do that.
Speaker 5: Yes, Patriots fans over the years, with the deflate gates.
Speaker 6: And the stealing signs and manipulative things there.
Speaker 9: Were, Patriots were targeted with two of the most ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Wait now you're me and a Patriot fan being defensive.
Speaker 9: I mean they're obviously Roder Goodell. Both of those have been already debunked. The ideal gas law, and everybody knows the flight gates, everybody knows spiking you go. But anyway, so I wouldn't put.
Speaker 2: The play in the victims yep, Okay, I'd put the Patriots on there. Okay, all I think, do you want to have that as the poll question? I thought we were going to maybe, you know, kind of go positive today it's a Friday. You thought that I did? I did that quickly changed here