Speaker 1: Okay, who is sure only films to be buried with? Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian, an actor, a writer, a director, a drum kit, and I love films. As Natalie Babbitt once said, like all magnificent things, it's all very simple. My Holland Driver is about destructive love for an ex. Yeah, I get it. Every week I own a special guest over. I tell them they've died, then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant the most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins, Amber Ruffin, Mark Frost, Sharon Stone, and even Bed Campbell's. But this week it's the brilliant comedian, writer, and a podcaster Sarah Barron. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get extra stuff for all the episodes, including a secret. You also get the whole thing uncut, adfree and does a video. Check it all out over at Patreon dot com forward slash break Goldstein. Sarah Baron is a brilliant comedian about to do her new show Anything for You at the Monkey Barrel at the Edinburgh Fringe every afternoon for the month of August. We recorded this very recently on zoom and we talked so much that we actually ran out of time, so I'm sorry for the short patron section. But we did as much as we could in the time that she had, which was a long time, but we just talked too much. But anyway, we got deep. It was really lovely and I really think you're going to love this one. I hope you're all well, that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode three hundred and nine of Films to be Buried With. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is I Brett Goldstein, and I am joined today by an actor, a writer, a successioneerer, a podcaster, a legend, a comedian, a live at the Apollo, a Brady, a feasta, an Edinburgh Fringe hero, a person, a wife, a human and a book writer at least. Please welcome to the show. Could you believe she's here? She really is? It's a barrage.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's only me, do you know? Do you know what I've Oh?
Speaker 3: No, no, I don't think I'm an actor. But then I did do one acting job. I majored in it, Brett.
Speaker 2: What but your your acting trajectory has gone very differently to mine.
Speaker 1: What was your one job?
Speaker 3: I got hired and I think it was and I think it qualifies as an acting job. Not a voiceover artist, John, But it was a it was a voiceover acting thing that was something about like it was a it was an advert for Wendy's in the UK.
Speaker 1: That's an acting job. Wow, that's an acting job.
Speaker 3: But it was supposed to sound it was supposed to be a spoof of like a true crime podcast. So I played a true crime podcast hosts audio only they were laughing so hard at me, Brett one time, and I did, well, no, I just want you to know that I you know, I got the chance, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she took it. What was the crime? This seems like such a risky advert for Wendy's. Was the crime? The burgers are too good?
Speaker 3: I mean, here's the pitch, you're it's burger murders. So the idea is stop murdering burgers like all the other places murder burgers, and Wendy's honors a burger. But then I think it turned out there was like a bunch of murders to do with burgers somehow, and so then.
Speaker 2: They had to like like rebrand the thing. I was like, I don't care. I'm getting paid for another day like the real I was like, oh, I think I just celebrated that people got murdered because I'm like, we have to do another day. Great, like another.
Speaker 1: Feat, another Wendy has been murdered. This is great for me.
Speaker 2: Another burger got murdered. So that was That was my one fora.
Speaker 1: Insane an insane idea for an advert. But I'm proud of you.
Speaker 2: These things are so sorry. This is my problem.
Speaker 3: I have so many questions I want to ask for you, but I will accept that this is not the format.
Speaker 1: What was your question you would want to ask?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Too big.
Speaker 2: I think they were too big, you know. It wasn't like a small thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think I got to I got two big questions for you. When is you're about to do Edinburgh again? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: For how show? What number show is this? So?
Speaker 2: This is number four? How many have you done? How many did you do?
Speaker 1: I did Edinburgh eleven times? I did within that time, you know, because I did sorts of compilationships and I did plays, but I did four hours in Edinburgh.
Speaker 2: I think, okay, this will be four for me and I you know, I always think if if I listened to someone talk about Edinburgh before I myself had participated in it, and people chocolate, it's this, it's this, it's heart, people go into debt, You'd be like, why is this so hard? Like it's a gorgeous city. You're working for an hour a day, you your you know, stand up is a job that can involve a lot of travel. You're not travel like your friends are around. What why isn't it kind of summer camp?
Speaker 3: And then what I say to people is, here's why it's not summer camp. Okay, I want you to imagine that for a month. We know, Brett, We're be honest. These are too emotionally astute people talking to each other.
Speaker 1: Okay, I bet.
Speaker 3: We're both so mach sure, so open. We know the lingo, we know what's going on. We therefore understand that two keys to mental health are Number one, perspective. Having perspective is the way you stay healthy in your brain. We also know that the road to ruin is comparison. You do well when you stay in your lane, baby, you do your thing.
Speaker 2: When you are up in Edinburgh, it is in incessant comparison married with a complete lack of perspective. And I say to my friends, imagine if for one month you had to hear every single thing that was set about you behind your back. Oh my god, that's what I kind of think it is.
Speaker 3: Or or confront the fact guess what no one's saying anything because no one gives a shit about you.
Speaker 2: And that's what it is.
Speaker 3: And you go up and you decide you're going to live to fight another day, and you sort of go up and you know you will know of course that like you usually you learn the story of what your Edinburgh would be across the first week and a half and then you kind of learn maybe like no good story here, and then for another two and a half weeks you kind of have to continue to do it.
Speaker 2: So that's why it's hard.
Speaker 3: And I like to always offer that up because before I as a stand up comic, and I listened to stand up comics like people with their fucking these people need to grow up their no no no, and I'm like, I get it.
Speaker 2: I have felt that myself but that is why it could be tough.
Speaker 1: The perspective thing I think is very astute in that it is like your sort of truck. It's probably the closest you get to being on Love Island or something, because there is no way of escaping it. So for you could just say, because I've fucking tried, I've tried. I'll go to the gym every day, I'll go for a swim. I'm going to go. I'm going to leave, going to walk outside of the festival and be in the real world. It doesn't exist. You can't escape it. You're in this bubble where it's quite a big bubb it's quite hard to leave that bubble. You can't.
Speaker 2: There is trying, there's physically no And you will say I will say, like, I don't need any convincing to not read reviews.
Speaker 3: I have never read a review of myself in my life. I never will and now you don't have to convince me. I don't read reviews of other comics.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's it violates that, Like I I it feels really disgusting if I do that, And so that's easy for me. But then I'll also be like, I'm going to really try and stay off social media. So when I feel the little itch, don't do it, go here. You'll bring up these books.
Speaker 3: But even if you do all that, you still have to walk down the road and there's some person who's one of your triggers, and they're getting eight stars left and right, and you think, number one, you're a bad person. Number two, you're a mediocre common you know, you just and then you're thinking, but what do I care? Why does that care? I added, you know, it's all this kind of stuff. Did you ever read the Bruce Springsteen autobiography Born to Run?
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 3: I think it's fair to say we know each other a bit. Yes, yeah, we don't hang out one on one, but we run. We read it before, you know, you were always away doing things.
Speaker 2: I think we know each other a bit. I think I do know. You all have to know that. I think you would absolutely love his book.
Speaker 1: Oh I love I am sure I would. I'm going to write it down right.
Speaker 2: Now, write it down, baby, We all love Springsteen. Come on. But it is an extraordinary.
Speaker 3: Tone about I hate to say this, I hear myself as I say it, about art and about being someone who's trying to make something, and about getting older and making things, and you know, he talks about like these sort of mental jiu jitsu games you play to convince yourself that this time will be different, that I can do it, I can, you know whatever, And it's really anyway.
Speaker 2: I think you'd love it, and I think you should read it.
Speaker 1: I would say this about Edinburgh. It's funny. You're right. I hadn't sort of put it in that context, but like, yes, it sounds insane, as in, it sounds anyone complaining about Edinburgh, Like what a fuck you complain about you? You went to an arts festival for a month, and yeah, you know, I mean, like, it sounds insane, and I do think it's incredibly It's a really hard cyclogy. The performance part of it is the easiest part of it, and that's hard. However, my point is this, I think I really mean this. I think Edinburgh taught me everything I needed to navigate the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Generally think tell me more, tell me more, tell me more, Tommy more.
Speaker 1: Like. Weirdly, I hate to compare these and I'm always I'm wired that people will be like, it's not of course, it's not the same. I've interviewed two three people on this podcast who did SNL, who then went on to do other things, run their own shows, have their own things, and all of them said, I said, it's so hard running your own show, being a showrunner, being this, being that. How do you copeable? And all of them said, it's easier than SNL. SNL was so hard and such a sort of emotional training, but it hardened them that anything else was easier. And I feel that way about Edinburgh. I go, all this stuff I've done since Edinburgh is the same, the skill set I learned of navigating people, of navigating egos, of navigating in the madness of industry, all of that. Edinburgh is such a condensed version of it that you go anywhere else it's like, yeah, I know how all this works. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: God, that's fascinating. That is a fascinating thing to hear and inspiring to hear.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing I think about you. I think you have unbelievable focus.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you exactly what I mean by that, because I don't mean I have no way of knowing if you go I've got to write this script today.
Speaker 3: And Brett sits down and he writes that script and you have some kind of hyper focused thing and you can get I don't know that I mean that. What I mean is I think a lot of comedians and maybe actors too, like jobbing artists.
Speaker 2: We want a distraction. I want shit to take me away from what I would love to work on. This joke, but someone needs to talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get And I think you are some kind of like zen master.
Speaker 2: Where you I don't even mean workaholic, although you're because of some of the success you've had. I'm very interesting whether or not you are a workaholic, because I think you kind of have to be.
Speaker 3: But I mean, like, definitely you're not looking for a reason for a lunch.
Speaker 1: That's very funny.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean that? Right about you?
Speaker 1: Well, look, I'm very easily distracted and I procrastinate and part of but I have made peace. One thing I've learned is procrastination is part of the job. You have to accept. Like the bit where you where you go, we should go and get a coffee, we should go get lunch. That is actually going to inform your writing, like you have to make peace with it. Isn't sitting for eight hour solid staring at your screen. That is not no job. Sometimes the job is pacing around, fucking going a fuck a fuck fuck yeah, talking and talking. But when it's happening, when you do get down to it and it's happening, I fucking love it. So that's the I love it. And I'm running from life, you know, that's the secret in it. I would rather back in the forth, the back and the forth. How much are you just stand up tour recently? Didn't you? Yes, I'm still doing it.
Speaker 3: How are you finding it being back after getting famous on television?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm curious about.
Speaker 1: Oh well, look, I mean the really incredible difference is that people currently want to come and see. That's the difference. The difference is seventeen years to one hundred people and now yeah, more people want to come, and that is amazing. It's really really, I genuinely do not for a second take it for granted. Like I'm like every night, I'm like, fuck, this is like I moved. I find it. You're moved. I find it moving. No, I moved.
Speaker 2: I moved speaking to you, I moved to you. It's moving.
Speaker 1: You know. I've got babysitter fucking got their cars, came out like that's amazing, amazing, they're excited, but then it does Also the flip side is then I, well, I guess I always would have done this, but like then you really fucking care about putting on a good shows, Like there's better to be fucking good. People have come out, they spend a lot of money that they hear, they've got their drinks, they've come in with their friends. You know. Anyway, it's been great. I've really loved it, and I feel very, very very lucky.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I accept I accept that answer. He feels gratitude everyone. He's great for everything.
Speaker 1: Look, I'll tell you this, but then I feel embarrasseding this because it's asking.
Speaker 2: I want to know you've been on an interesting journey and it's and I love talking to people about that stuff.
Speaker 3: I think it's really fascinating. And I will just say really quickly, but are you going to hold your thing?
Speaker 2: Because don't not say. The thing is that I don't like when people who have gotten very successful after working their fine asses off, and it's like, let's talk about that. That's fucking fascinating.
Speaker 3: Like four years ago, you could walk down the street and now you kind of yet in the same way, and that's a very rare experience. So I think it's interesting and I like to know the feelings.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's all complicated and there's lots of things that are very bad about it, but the tour is the tours has been amazing. And what I will say is there was a day, maybe it was in Houston and we did this show and normally there's like a you know, there's a back door to get in and out of the venue and it's sort of a different area of the place, like a little street. But in this case, when we finished the show, we got in the car and the car had to basically just go around the front of the venue and be in the parking lot where the audience were. So we then had to like sit in a queue for about half an hour just to get out of the venue with the audience. And it really I found it so moving. I was like, fuck, Like it hadn't occurred to me people fucking sit in a car and queue to come to this thing, you know what I mean, Like this is a big deal. People making such a fucking effort. It isn't like, yeah, we just pop and see this thing. It's like babysit a car queue, parking lot, parking ticket, you know what I mean, Like it's such a big commitment on their part. I was genuinely sort of I just couldn't, you know, I really appreciate it. I really was like, fuck this.
Speaker 2: I think it reflects very well on you that getting stuck in a que made you feel gratitude.
Speaker 1: I should have wound that way.
Speaker 2: Get me out of here. That's very good. That's very good.
Speaker 1: So that's very nice. But you know, and also, but I have the feeling of like, who knows, who knows how how how long people may or may not want to buy tickets, you know what I mean. So I'm making the most of it. But it's very fine. It's and it's an interesting sort of experience I've learned. It's different. It's different doing stand up in a big venue with a big stage audience. You've sort of physically it forces you to change. I'm now much more physical than I used to be. I used to just sort of stand. Don't now and move about and I do. You have to big act outs and it's kind of it's a new skill and that's fine.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's a journey. He's on his journey.
Speaker 1: How did you write a fourth show? Did you have the theme first or the jokes? What was it? Did you have a big idea?
Speaker 3: I had a thing happened tell me. I'm going to tell you. It's going to spoil the surprise of the show, but I think for your listeners perhaps it will intrigue them. So I'm making a marketing choice in real time to share my secret. So basically, two years ago, I got a call from my brother informing me that my entire family was fine after fleeing from a mass shooting.
Speaker 2: Okay, stay with me.
Speaker 3: So he's like telling me this story, and I'm like, wait what, wait what what?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: It was a Fourth of July parade that they have gone to every year since I'd been born. I grew up going to this parade and like an active shooter open fire at this parade. Right, She's like telling.
Speaker 3: Me this story, and the long and short of it is like, so he had to leave my parents there. He had to like literally pick up his kids and run. He left my parents to die. Fine, he has to make his choices. So he's then like he had to spend about fifteen minutes, thinking that my parents had been killed possibly.
Speaker 2: Then they show up. Everyone's fine, everyone's fine. And then basically what was funny. What was funny to me was as he was like telling me this story, and I was like, wait, I you know, my mother started knocking out the door and she's like, good eye, con did you talk to my daughter?
Speaker 3: And my brother was like looking down the FaceTime call like Jesus fucking Christ. And then they leaned into the camera and he goes, I wish i'd shut her in the back myself.
Speaker 2: And it was so funny. I was like he legit thought she would be dead fifteen minutes ago, and she had been so annoying across fifteen minutes that he's now making a joke about wishing each shot her.
Speaker 3: And I was like that is And for years people have said to me, do you do stuff about your mom and your stand up?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, nah, I can never figure out what it is. I don't like, no, I don't, but.
Speaker 3: Okay, And I was like, oh, because what's a show about your mom that isn't just like my mom did one thing, she did a second thing, she did a third And I was like, that's the show about my mom. It like that's either a big finale or an inciting incident to investigate my rage at my crazy fucking mom, you know, and people are like, oh, I'm like, no, my mom's good, she's a good lady, but she's fucking psychotic.
Speaker 1: So is the inciting incidant at the beginning and then you go back or is it the end?
Speaker 3: Well, as a man who I assume is interested in structure, it's been all over the place.
Speaker 2: At first, I was like, it's.
Speaker 3: An end, and then it was not working, and I was like, oh, it's an inciting incident.
Speaker 2: It's an exciting it starts it. So then it was at the beginning.
Speaker 3: It was at the beginning, and then I was like, no, it is the end. So that's a long winded way of saying I have been on a long road to understanding it is.
Speaker 2: It is the end.
Speaker 3: And the inciting incident is my husband accusing me of being like her.
Speaker 1: That's great, Okay, that's good. That's interesting. My head went through the structure the ways and I was like, the downside of it being at the beginning's great because it's exciting. The downside is will we laugh at anything? If we think your mom has been in a mess, it might FuG you for an hour.
Speaker 3: Well, all I will say is this is what we have. I have never I have never had to work something so hard structurally, and I'm happy.
Speaker 2: I think I'm there a baby. I think if I tighten a few screws, I think we're there. But I am so in my head and I think to.
Speaker 3: Lure people in, I'll say I think I'm performing quite poorly at the moment.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just a lady on stage being yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, right, tickets coming by. I'll be great as I try to remember the lines. But you know, I hope I get it there. I just got to, you know, I'll get it there. Come see it after the seventh. I'll come see you.
Speaker 2: After the seventh. So that's it. Where is it on Monkey Barrel every day at four forty five?
Speaker 1: Oh? Perfect?
Speaker 2: This is what everyone's saying. But you know, I do very, very as all or most humans. Isn't expectation everything in the world Brett and I I need to manage mine because everyone goes Monkey Barrel. Hello, it's the coolest of the venues. Monkey Barrel at four forty five oh and so I'm expecting and it's like you were saying, for seventeen years you played to one hundred people.
Speaker 3: Well you were like in that world, I'm not mistaken, like mostly pre pandemic.
Speaker 2: I think you know you did. You logged most of your ten thousand hours pre pandemic. Whatever. The world has changed.
Speaker 3: So I'm now like year you know, I'm year five into plan forty people and give me one hundred and forty, you know what I mean. So I'm a little scarred by small numbers and being like like I had this in my.
Speaker 1: Last show, the record when I say seventeen years of one hundred people, I mean forty. Yeah, okay, American exaggerator.
Speaker 2: But they were getting to you, baby, They're getting to you.
Speaker 1: He's gotten probably.
Speaker 2: You know, I will call it you. Yeah, there are four people in. But I had worked up like my favorite part of my show was what I thought was a very funny marital blow jobs kind of bit, and I was like, this is fucking good.
Speaker 3: I've not heard anyone say it. It's a good observation. It's like disgusting.
Speaker 2: But I didn't have any big crowds. I was like, but you because I can't be looking.
Speaker 3: I can't be making eye contact when there are thirty people in at a preview with some lady who's come with her twenty year old daughter who liked me and then brought her fifty five year old mom. And then I'm looking at them while I'm like blowjobs. And I was like, but let me just let me just get it up to Edinburgh. Let me just get it up there, because then let's cook with some gas bitches.
Speaker 2: And then I got up there and it was like there was no and I'd worked so hard on something, I was so and I would like do my blow job and they get off stage and cry, because I was like, then what are we What are we doing anymore if we can't say this to a room that can cohese as a room and feel the darkness and feel the anonymity and work as a unit and respond how they're supposed to my married blowjob lady stuff, you know, but positive attitude. It's a new year, it's a new time, it's a new venue. Only onwards and upwards, Brett, Okay, onwards and upwards.
Speaker 1: And you're feeling good. The other well, the other big question I had to ask you, I guess applies to all of what you have said, which is you, If we may speak about this openly, I believe you have are married to Jeff Lloyd, who is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, lovely man and also a public figure in some ways. And you two do things together, and you talk about each other in your in your public life, and you are now doing a show where you talk about your mum and your brother and stuff. And I wondered, how if any difficulty there is in sort of privacy, and you know what I mean, like, like you have any like is your mum going to see your shows? It's something you've talked about with her. There's stuff between you and Jeff where you're like, let's not there's a limit like this is this is the boundary where we lie.
Speaker 2: It is on the wrong side line.
Speaker 3: So it's sort of it's very different with those two people, my mom and Jeff. And then also exactly the same. So so to everyone's credit, like my mom irritates the shit out of me, and I don't like when people are really glowing about their mothers. It gives me the X. I don't like that my mommy, Oh shut up, So I don't feel comfortable saying nice things about her.
Speaker 2: But a thing I will say is my mom's taste is pretty extraordinary. So like something will be like this will be the new thing or this, and my mom will watch it and be like am I going crazy? Or was this terrible?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, yes, it's it's terrible most people as a snob, most people don't have the taste to know it's fucking bad. But yeah, Mom, that's bad, and you're smart enough that you know that's bad. So that is all to say, I can get away with anything in front of my mother or my husband if it's good.
Speaker 2: And I know that's such a snotty little bit she little eh eh way to describe it, but that's the truth. So I'm working on.
Speaker 3: This bit right now about I never love this as a pitch for it, but but but as a you know, it's about why I think a lot of women sort of hate their husbands. And I don't really mean hate, but I think that the you know, to be really binary about gendered and very heteronormative about stuff. Most married straight women I know are really exhausted by their husbands in ways that I don't think husbands are exhausted by their wives.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Okay, real broad strokes here, obviously.
Speaker 3: But I'm thinking about the ten ladies that I know, including myself.
Speaker 1: You're more exhausted by Jeff than Jeff is by.
Speaker 2: You one hundred percent now and he knows that, and we and and so I so I said to him. But also like Jeff and I will you want the diagnosis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Why does Jeff because he's more laid back, Like what's the difference?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, Jeff is not fucking more late.
Speaker 3: But like we will say to each other, the problem with our marriage, there's not a lay back individual in this household. Okay, both of us are like, you'll look at us wrong, and we're like that hurt me.
Speaker 2: I'm hurt both of us, fucking constant, so with Jeff. And also like Jeff helps me with my work.
Speaker 3: Like when Jeff and I got together, he was very successful and I wasn't. And any little bit of progress.
Speaker 2: That has happened professionally is one hundred percent because I married him. It just is like his taste level is good, he's on the like he's just good, and so he'll go, no, that doesn't work. Why because is this a good idea? No, that's shitty. Everything is better with him. He helps me with everything, so of course, and I help him with nothing. I yeah, so in that way, like professionally I exhaust him, but I'm not. I'm talking about a core at the fucking core.
Speaker 1: And so I was like, what is this?
Speaker 2: What the fuck is this?
Speaker 1: What is this? And what it is?
Speaker 3: And this is circling back to the question that you asked me, which is like, basically, I think that we all have our emotional loads and I break mine off. Okay, so my friend Becky is going to deal with this, my friend Maggie is going to deal with this. A local mom who I see a drop off.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go, oh fucking am I allowed to say, my fucking I'm gonna here one for you, one for you, take my trauma, one for you, take my trauma. Jeff goes, here's all my trauma. Oh honey, do you want to share it with your best friend?
Speaker 3: You know, the guy who you love who's very open to talking about your trauma. Do you want to share with him? You want to get him on on this?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, You'll go out with him for.
Speaker 3: A four hour dinner, you guys can talk about like comics and films and music.
Speaker 2: Come home. Oh, but all my bullshit on my wife. And so I'm trying to do a bit about this, right, And then there's like a punchline about like his favorite position is feel you know, it's like a sex shock. Whatever, thank you, it didn't go down great and Faversham last night. I'll tell you that much. But with that, so when you're saying, what are the lines with Jeff, Jeff all this shit, his mental health stuff is go to town. He will let me say whatever.
Speaker 3: But what I could feel in a room was like I have to stay on the right side of the line with talking about what a piece not even a piece of shit, but like it's it is about his vulnerability in some way, right, right, So it's.
Speaker 2: Not about what Jeff says, because he's pretty loose. If it's good and if it's working, it's about like, if it works, my husband's like that. Yes, men are like that. I've not quite Yes, that's why I'm fucking tired.
Speaker 3: But if I get on the other side of the line, it's like, ooh that that woman was like a little nasty about her husband in a way that made me uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: And it's the same thing with my mom.
Speaker 3: She kind of like she knows the show is happening because I need something from her for a little flourish at the end.
Speaker 1: And that was an excruciating how did you pitch it? You much? Did you say? I wonder about his shirt about you?
Speaker 3: I so, I've had this idea for a while and I was like, but I'm not gonna like, it's not gonna be go time until it's go time. So she was here a few weeks ago and I said to Jeff, I was like, I got to talk to my mom about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like Jeff is really good with her, Like he speaks her language in some ways, and like if she's making me go crazy, he can get in and be like, I think your mom actually feels like, you know, we can sort of mediate between us. So I was like, I want to talk to you about something. Everyone's healthy, nothing's bad. I'm not angry at you, which is like what she needs to know is like is anyone dying or are you going to stop speaking to me? These are her questions.
Speaker 3: And I was like, so, I'm working on the show and it's kind of about our relationship, and you know, so first people are very flatter, and then it's like, do you remember when you were in a mass shooting? So like there's actually something like a little bit funny. I thought, in the you're the shooting, you know, and then we're sort of you know, and she was like, is it mean? And I said, well, you know, and my thing was like, look, I don't wanna I don't want to not be honest with you. What I will say is it has to work, so it kind of can't be mean or it doesn't work. But you know, if you saw it, I'm sure you'd be shouting at the stage about what an unfair, one sided presentation. It is of a million different you know, little bits and pieces of like not even my relationship with her, but like stuff with her and my dad, and you know, she's like a real bully to him, and I'm trying to make that fun, you know, which is like an ARC type of like the domineering wife and the meek little husband.
Speaker 2: And so we'll see.
Speaker 1: And what did she say when you when you said this, it was she.
Speaker 2: You know, she weir?
Speaker 1: Did I mean?
Speaker 2: It was an hour long? I got so tired. I had to lie down, Like I was so emotionally exhausted, I had to like lay down on the sofa, and I was like, I'm really sorry at your being incredible, I said to my mom. I was like, you're being really patient. I think there's a real generosity. You're not doing anything wrong, you're not asking any but I am physically so tired by this. I just I literally need to like like like calm for a second, you know. So her big takeaway was that she felt connected to me.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I think, like I think that I can find talking to my mom about stuff like I talked to my mom, But.
Speaker 3: If I had a crisis in my marriage or I wouldn't go, I wouldn't go to her.
Speaker 2: And I think that makes her really sad. I talked to her. I love her. I think she's a fantastic person and a you know, she's.
Speaker 3: Great, but that's not like the dynamic we've wound up with, and I think that's hurtful for her. And so I think whenever like we're really talking, I think she feels really close to me and that brings her joy.
Speaker 2: So that's I think the big sort of arc we went on across like an hour and a half.
Speaker 1: That's very nice. That's very nice. You know something that's interesting. Maybe you notice you probably do because you're into this sort of stuff. David Chase when he wrote The Sopranos, have you seen the Sopranos you're a scribe?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean yeah, yeah, many many times.
Speaker 1: So Livia his mum. Tony Sprano's mom is David Chase's mum. And he was worried when he wrote it. He was like, God, my mum is such a fucking nightmare, such a monster, and I've put her on screen and it's going to destroy her and everyone's gonna And he almost thought it would be the reason people wouldn't like the show is the Mum's unbearable, and he said, And season one came out and hundreds of people came out to him and said, Livia's the funniest character. I love her. So I love the mom. I love the mom.
Speaker 2: And he was like, what, And moms are horrible? And I think and I say that as one and I think that you know, a point I'm trying to arrive at by the end is it's kind the kind of the job, you know, Like I have zero and I mean zero envy and I'm.
Speaker 3: An envious person. I get jealous easy. I don't like it in myself. It's a journey I'm working on that.
Speaker 2: I have zero jealousy of people who just delight in their moms, because I think they were raised to delight in their moms, and that's a weakness in the mom.
Speaker 3: There's like a cell guy, I can go on, I can go on, I can go on. And my mother is also really fucking selfish. I'm not saying, you know, but I just I never go, God, you and your mom have a beautiful thing. No, I go, yeah, yeah, you got a beautiful thing with your mom. But that's because she and your dad have this shit going on. So the men that you selected, Da Da da luda, it's like this.
Speaker 2: You know, crazy moms are fine and it's good to talk about them, is my feeling, Sarah.
Speaker 1: We've been talking about forty minutes and I've forgotten to tell you something, and it's fucking bad.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: I haven't that. I haven't brought this up.
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Now we've been I should just say it. You well, I say it. You've died. You're dead, see you have any of this.
Speaker 2: I'm dead is my mother already dead.
Speaker 1: It's up to you.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, we don't want me. She doesn't want that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm dead and so yeah, fine, how did you die?
Speaker 2: I died? I thought about this so many times, and not just in advance of this podcast. I died by beautiful lake in America. Growing up, there was something. I mean, it probably is still there. But there's country time lemonade. I don't know if you know about country time lemonade. Oh my god, Brett. Picture the nineteen eighties in America. Okay, okay, like your suburban girl and your life looks like the movies because you grew up around where all the John Hughes films were made. And yet, okay, so things are leafy green, and you're New Lake, Michigan, and it's very idyllic, and you're near near a beautiful lake. I've got like a nice glass of lemonade.
Speaker 3: And my son and his family have been like, we're just gonna let grandma wants to sit in the sun while my grandchildren, my great grandchildren play around me while I'm at the lake. And I've not been well, but I've kept my nagging and then suddenly I breathe my last gone forever?
Speaker 1: But what sorry, what happened? Why did you breathe last? I must have happened.
Speaker 3: I had a heart attack, but not like a bad one, like yeah, but but now like a puky nummy one, just like I feel a little. Oh, I feel weird, cabooche out.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you worry about death? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I'm really afraid of death. I have a friend who is forty five does and have kids.
Speaker 2: She really and you know that sort of anyway, She's very fixated on the idea that no one will watch her die. And she lives in the States, where you have to think about this stuff a little bit differently. And she she was part of a class action suit that paid her a million pounds and she's put it all in the bank to pay for like the best possible care from when she's like eighty onwards.
Speaker 3: And I cannot stop thinking about that level of advance planning. She told me this like a month ago, and it's I think about it every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great, that's very smart. I'm with a completely about the not having seen around.
Speaker 2: You know what, I think. I was walking to a gig and I walked past.
Speaker 3: I've never like I don't mean watched someone die, like sat with someone while they took their last breath. I haven't done that. But I also haven't watched someone deteriorate. Yeah, I've never ever had to do that.
Speaker 2: I was walking, I like took a wrong turn getting to a gig and suddenly sort of realized I was like walking past an old person's home, and I saw an old woman watching television and it was like, like I once heard someone giving birth sound without I mean, I've given birth, but it's different when you're in it. It sounds real different to how it sounds in the films, like and I was like, I can't believe, like it's horrifying to listen to. And it was the same thing. I was like, oh, we know what it looks like.
Speaker 3: I've never really just seen a real old person really really really alone. And I thought it's inevitable, best case scenario, because maybe you're gonna die of cancer when you're sixty five.
Speaker 2: You're thinking, oh god, when I'm oh, you're gonna be that you know, you don't know. But but I thought that's she's probably ninety six, and it doesn't I tell myself, like, does it matter? By then? If you have kids or not, like because if you do, they're not going to be with you all the time. Then you're just it's that no matter what.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it's just a joyful little thing that I like to let circle around in my head. And it's been in there more since my friend told me that she won a million dollar class action lawsuit and was putting it all aside to keep her death nice.
Speaker 1: Imagine, what do you think happens after you die?
Speaker 3: I think we're gone. I think it's I think it's the end. I really want to hear a ghost story that I can believe.
Speaker 4: So that I go.
Speaker 2: But I think there was nothing happening before you were here, and there's nothing happening after you go, and you live on in people's hearts and you try to, you know, have love and sweetness and accountability.
Speaker 1: And then the end. Well, I got news for you, Sarah, Okay Brett. There's a heaven, you fool.
Speaker 2: There's a heaven, and I'm in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're in it, and and they're very happy to you, and it's filled with your favorite thing. What's your favorite thing?
Speaker 2: Oh, my favorite thing is like laughter.
Speaker 1: It is a crazy house people laughing hysterically all the time in a way that becomes quite disturbing. But RAA's laughing, loving, laughing. You come in, They're all excited to see you. They wonn't know about your life, but they wonn't know about your life through film. Yes, And they first thing they ask you, what is the film you first remember seeing? Sarah Barrions The.
Speaker 2: Film I first remember seeing is a chorus line. The version that came out I'm going to call it eighty four eighty five, starring Michael Douglas, the only name in the film in the role of Zack.
Speaker 3: The director. And my mother took me to see it at Old Orchard Cinema. And you know, I will assume you haven't seen the film.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 1: I have seen a chorus line?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you might remember.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if you've, like me, seen it probably forty seven times, but you know it opens on the streets.
Speaker 2: Of New York and they're bustling, they're hustling the dance bag, you know, And I thought, I mean, I just did that for you.
Speaker 3: I gave myself shills and I looked at that when I was five years old or six years old and I went, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what that is, but gimme a piece of the action.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I'm forty five years old, and I still feel exactly the same way, like whatever that is, there is no greater pinnacle, there is no more intense center of the TUTSI pop.
Speaker 2: Like it is it?
Speaker 1: What I Did for Love is one of the great, great great songs about anything. It's great.
Speaker 2: What did you do for the art that you love? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: You know, it hasn't aged particularly well, but you know, Or what I actually learned is like people hated the film and thought it was this like real butchering of the Broadway show.
Speaker 1: But I just think it's like, it's about sweet that your mom took you.
Speaker 2: She's saying, yeah, she comes up, she comes up.
Speaker 1: Tell me, what's the film that scared you the most? Do you like being scared?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do. I do like to be scared. Did you see Saint Maud.
Speaker 1: Fucking love Saint Wodew?
Speaker 2: I mean, I thought that that was the last thing I watched, or I was like, this is astonishing and grotesque and perfect, and I loved it. And I really like scary films and I love Halloween in October and like, I will never work on Halloween. And I've got like I did a corporate once where I got it was like for UK Housewares International Celebrate, you know whatever it was. So there were all these like La Crusee nominees and I was sort of kept saying to them that they should send me this one thing that's like it costs three hundred pounds and it looks like a pumpkin, but it's like La Cruse cast real dish, and I was can you not picture it?
Speaker 1: I just don't know what La Crusee is.
Speaker 2: Goldine, you're like a Hollywood man now and you don't know La Cruze. Are you kidding? But this is the world you're in now. You need to like because people are going to talk to you. You go to award things. You need to know Lu Crusee. Now this is the world.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's very fancy homeware and the life that I project on you has the Cruisee.
Speaker 2: There's like an La flat.
Speaker 3: That you hope that you have soon in silver Lake and there's like La Crusee in your Silverweight flat and it's a whole thing.
Speaker 1: What am I doing with this Homeway?
Speaker 3: Well, you're not going to do anything with it because of your stuff. But there'll be like there's like days where you.
Speaker 2: Do like personal time where you're like, hollyo, it stops today and today like whatever. You know, you have to make decisions on stuff to do with your personal life, but you cook with it.
Speaker 1: So I'm not going to in and out drive. I'm staying in with my Lac Cruse in like.
Speaker 2: Ten fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: So this is the moment where you hear what it is and then when you're like, however old, you'll be like, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: I remember Sarah Baron and being like, what's La Cruise?
Speaker 1: And now look at meurger in the cruises in my La crusee three hundred pounds whatever.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I love autumn so much that I was like, you guys should give me one of these things.
Speaker 3: For free, and they did so every Halloween I cook in my La Crusee. I watch a film and my husband found Saint Maude so disturbing he had to leave the room.
Speaker 2: But the first film that really fucked, like you know, I was like, okay, let me hit this with a straight bat. What was the first one that scared me the It was the nineteen eighties film Lucas. Oh. I think Corey Haim played Lucas. Charlie Sheen was in it.
Speaker 3: As a kind like as a kind jock, and I think there was like an actress in the eighties named maybe Carrie Green when Nona Ryder was in it, and it's like about a little nerdy boy, and it was like there was an unlocking in my brain.
Speaker 2: I couldn't sleep. Like my parents say they remember me, like my mom coming home and my my dad says he remembers watching me and my mom coming in from the like walking up the driveway with me just hysterical and my mom behind me going, you know, like I, yeah, yeah, what have we done? I remember my parents having to sit up with me while I sobbed.
Speaker 3: It was my first time feeling like there was poison in my brain, you know, like some poison gets in and you're like, what I would do to want to do.
Speaker 2: This visual or what?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: There's a way that I've heard I never watched Requiem for a Dream because I got too scared of what people said about it. And it was the way that people talk about Requiem for a Dream in two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: Is I was like, it's how I felt about Lucas. Everyone is saying my Lucas feeling, and it was something about watching this little boy like get mocked was the scariest thing to this date I have ever borne witness too.
Speaker 1: What's a unique answer, heartbreaking answer, sir? What is the film? Speaking of heartbreaking, what's the film that made you cry the most? If not Lucas? Do you cry a lot?
Speaker 3: Well, Lucas as well as a young person beaches, like I cry at films. I mean, I just sort of I stopped. I'm trying to think of like slightly more interesting things. I'm not going to tell you up or whatever.
Speaker 2: Inside Out, but like, although yes and yes, fuck have you seen Inside Out too yet? I have?
Speaker 1: I think it's excellent me too, love to.
Speaker 2: That was a lot to deal with, But the one that was really hard for me was Sideways when Paul Giamati at the towards the end, like takes that bottle and like lonely people not gonna It's not workable for me.
Speaker 1: This brings us back to the old lady, what's in the TV? You don't like people on their own?
Speaker 2: I don't like people on their own, but I also, like my husband would tell you if I don't enjoy caretaking. So there's a real you know, I just I really the film. What was the name of the film. It's set in Glasgow with Jesse Buckley about dumb I So I remember just loving that film, and I was like, should we rewatch? My husband's like okay, and I was like, I don't. I can't watch those kids waiting for her when they think they're going out for pizza.
Speaker 3: Nope, I won't watch this. I will not watch a sad child, and I will not watch us sad. I can Interestingly, I can handle sad old women. I can't handle sad men can't do it, can't do it?
Speaker 2: Why because women? This is bad?
Speaker 3: It's like again, real, real, real gender gender generalizations. But like pretty much women aren't as lonely pretty much they're not and men are.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, what's the film that you you love? Critics don't like it. It's not it's not a beloved film, but you love it very much.
Speaker 2: Indeed, if Magic Mike is happening, I'm going on opening deck.
Speaker 3: So the first Magic Mike film. No, Soderbergh didn't know what he was doing. He wasn't sure, I see what he was going for.
Speaker 2: I really respect it. And then they went, let's give these people what they want with Double XL.
Speaker 3: It is such a fine film. I went to see Last Dance. I said to my friends, I said, you, I had been through a thing.
Speaker 2: They were like, what can we do?
Speaker 3: And I was like, can we go together in his seat Magic Mike last day?
Speaker 2: Because Jeff wasn't gonna go, and like, I don't want to be like an old lady going to see Magic Mike. I'm on my own, so we went. I just I have so much time for Channing Tatum. I think he's like one of the most fascinating stars in all of Hollywood. I think he's a fucking phenomenal actor. And I think it was just like Last Dance, not quite as much, but Double XCEL. They just went, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Let's do an on the road, Buddy flickat Sense of Humor, great stock characters, Jada Pinkett Smith, She's if Jada PingER Smith is doing an interview, I am listening because she's crazy and she brings all of her insanity.
Speaker 2: When she went on off menu, I.
Speaker 1: Was like, well, I'll be listening to this one it was.
Speaker 3: You know, she's just fascinating. She's incredible in this role. It is genius casting.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you right now. It's possible. Then when we're talking about which one's going in my coffin, it might be that one, because it is there's so much joy in that film, so.
Speaker 1: Much lovely answer. On the other hand, what is a film that you used to love but you've watched it recently and you've thought, oh, I don't know this anymore.
Speaker 3: The very, so very truthfully, I really struggled with this because I think nostalgia is not such a strong feeling for me.
Speaker 2: When I was watching Inside Out Too, I was like, oh my god, I can't wait for Inside up through when we could really see nostalgia at play. Like I sometimes think my whole body is just a block of nostalgia.
Speaker 3: So you know, if I loved it, then I love it now. But what I really makes me sad is when I go back. So I was thinking about like Crocodile Dundee.
Speaker 2: Was a film I loved.
Speaker 1: That's a really good answer, But then you.
Speaker 2: Go back and aside from like a million ways and it's like, oh, insane, horrible. I'm sure of a racist film.
Speaker 3: I really despise unacknowledged age gaps. So if we're gonna look at a man who's twenty five years older than the woman, he's fucking cool.
Speaker 2: That happens. Let's explore it, let's talk about it, but don't present it like it's not happening, Like it's not I shouldn't just have to watch a fifty year old with a twenty five year old, because what a twenty five year old lady really wants is some like fifty five year old en peen, you know.
Speaker 3: So that grossed me out when I like there was some rewatching and I was like, oh oh, Also like I'll tell you this without you know, wading into waters that are to something or other.
Speaker 2: I for my wedding, we thought it was a small wedding, and we thought, let's actually watch a film with our guests instead of dancing, Like Jeff hates dancing. I love dancing, but I like dancing like at someone else's wedding, like no one. It's like I need to not be the center of attention. No, no, no, But then I want to become the center of attention. So it's like, who's that guy's go for? Wait, that girl can do. It's not like the bride is not not so.
Speaker 3: Jeff was like, we've only got like forty guests, and let's like rent this little thing and I'll watch a film together.
Speaker 2: What would feel right? And we got married in England and New York is my place, my place, so it was like, how do we And I was like, let's get a real New York. I mean, I'm so embarrassed telling you this.
Speaker 3: But the film we picked without doing as much research so we should have done.
Speaker 2: And this was a long time ago, was Manhattan. I don't know when you last watched it. And you know, I will say for myself, I believe in gray areas, you know, but I also and I can also kind of do some art artists separation stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was real uncomfortable. It was it was like the worst choice at our wedding. So actually, upon reflection, let's go with Manhattan.
Speaker 1: It's such a funny thing to watch at your wedding.
Speaker 4: Okay, do you know what, Let's actually let's go do the dancing. Let's do the dancing instead. It was so embarrassing, well done. What is the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily the film itself is good, but the experience you had around seeing the film will always make it special to you.
Speaker 1: Sarah Baron, please, in.
Speaker 3: A way, I think it's pulp fiction, and the reason for that is I feel that some of like the inside the poll within. For me, one of many is like I am someone who wants so bad to be cool, like I want to be one of the cool kids desperately, but I am I am fundamentally quite uncool. And pulp fiction was the first cool thing, the right It was the first time I ever loved the right thing to love, and that really meant something to me.
Speaker 1: As it happened.
Speaker 2: I wasn't like a girl performing that she thinks radio had is like so amazing, Like I'm like, no, I like love Neirvanah. I'm like, no, I don't love Neirvanah. I'm like busy listening to like musical theater. You know. I was always that and really wanting to be other. And that was when I felt like, nah, I'm a cool bit. Oh yeah, fiction for the tenth time. Excellent, excellent, great movie holds up nicely? What about it? Do you not think holds up?
Speaker 1: That's some uh tricky race stuff in it. Oh yes, but other than that, that's great.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about that that what you said, and I thought you were sort of like I was thinking about that question a different way.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course, yep, so great. What is the film you most relate to?
Speaker 2: I have never related to a film in my life. I don't think like I know that's a weird way of but I was trying to think about a character when I'm like, that's me. So then where I got to was when I started doing sixteen Candles rewatch, I'd be like, oh, I'm Joan Cusack.
Speaker 3: That's who I am. I'm Joan Cusack. I'm right, No, Brett. She's fucking awesome. She is funny, she has a healthy personal life.
Speaker 2: But she's not cool. But she's awesome, you know.
Speaker 3: So it's not like I watch School of Rock and go, oh, I'm the or oh, but I'm just like, I am Joan Cusack, and.
Speaker 2: I understand this all myself. So if she's in a film, yeah, I then understand myself a little bit better. So you know, like if you ever like looked at a picture of yourself to try to understand what you look like, you know, because you're like, I know, it's not quite what the mirror is telling me, So what the fuck do I look like? And then you like look at a photo or something and I feel like, who am I? How do we come across to people? We watch? Joan Cusack? Okay, Okay, there we are.
Speaker 1: That's very very Stu again, Stu, what is the sexiest film you've ever seen?
Speaker 2: Sarah Barry sexiest time I've ever seen? What's a film that I went to see when I was like seventeen, called Female Versions and it was starring till To Swinton. It was the first time I ever saw till To Swinton and there's like a sex scene between these two women. What I now understand at forty five is it was female gays. We didn't have that language then I didn't understand what I was watching. But I left the I'm not kidding, I am not kidding. I am not kidding. I left the film with the understanding that I was a lesbian like I And then I tried. I tried multiple times to come out to people I was. And you know, it was the nineties. My best friend was gay, but I didn't.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: You know, I felt all this shame as a lesbian and so I like came out to some gay friends of mine and I was like, I'm gay and they're like, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm sure you're not gay. And I know I'm not to say, like, you're not gay, you are?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like just like watching you know. I mean, so it was, and now you know, it was because what.
Speaker 3: It was trying to get at was how women experience pleasure and all of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And I've you know, it has been on my to do list forever to rewatch it.
Speaker 1: And I never had bunny for a person to come out and everyone to keep pushing them back in.
Speaker 2: You you're not, you're not, you're not you know, and then you're not the one.
Speaker 3: And then once like I went with some you know, I have had quite a few examples, and you know, mostly because at the time, like now I feel like, can I just please have a fucking female friend who isn't gay?
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: You go?
Speaker 3: I like, I remember, I was like, how come I only have a couple of friends. I need some single friends. But at the time I only had gay male friends, and all of them told me that I wasn't gay, And I've subsequently told this too many gay female friends and they just laugh and explain that I'm, you know, probably bisexual, but aren't we all.
Speaker 1: There's a sub category to this question, Traveling Bonn is worrying why Dunes film you found arousing? You weren't sure you should? What's that Sarah about it?
Speaker 2: I found McCauley Culkin in home alone. I wanted it, and I knew there was something wrong with wanting it. Now.
Speaker 3: I wasn't like twenty when it came out. I was I think, I'm like a year or two. I might be two years older than Macaulay Culkin. And so if he was like seven, I was nine or you know, it was something sort of like that. But I liked the cut of his jip or whatever people say, and I knew, but you know, seven and not like that's so two years at that age is like gandal And there was something about like that. I'm you wasn't like, wasn't appropriate for me at that whatever age I would have been.
Speaker 2: Maybe I was like ten.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know, but I was like, it's wrong, it's wrong that I want this child in the way that I want this child and I wanted them.
Speaker 1: Do you know what it is?
Speaker 2: I think I have some shit with blonde guys. I always tell I think I like the Song of my Heart is like a surfer boy or some some like blonde. I my mind doesn't want it, but somewhere deep inside there is a recurrent theme here. I will just tell you that.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's really fascinating. But Jeff isn't blunt.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't you know. I've dated a couple of those guys, and you know it's never. We're never.
Speaker 3: I've never felt like an intellectual connection to a blonde man.
Speaker 1: I am blonde people.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying I've never been like, oh here's a vibe ever ever?
Speaker 1: Not once.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying, I think, like, give me a guy, give me a California boys are something I don't know.
Speaker 2: My husband is a nerdy ginger.
Speaker 1: Objectively, what's the greatest film, if ever seen?
Speaker 3: Objectively? The greatest film I have ever seen is Mulholland Drive. Ah, Yeah, there's nothing better. I don't I don't know what to tell you like it is number one. It is incredible. Assuming you are also a fan, which of course you are. There is a dry cleaners if you get out of Embankment tube station.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, been there many times, of course. You know what's your favorite? Actually, my favorite in Banget stage, my favorite station. You can walk over the bridge, you can walk back. It's there, it's right, it's perfect bank the station, best station, ream good size in and out, not the dream station.
Speaker 2: Breaking news from listen to me until I said a makement, you went holy shit. Okay.
Speaker 3: So you're coming into Embankment. If you go out, if you turn to your right, you're gonna make the right. You turn right, you go to the river, you turn left. You're heading up towards Charing Cross Road. Yeah yeah, okay, so you're heading left towards Charing Cross Road. But then instead of walking up that little sort of you're gonna you're gonna take a hard left. So you're walking under like a bridge.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay.
Speaker 2: So you're under the bridge.
Speaker 3: Next to the news agent where you buy your nuts. There is a dry cleaner all in wood paneling, and it is Mulholland drive.
Speaker 2: Look out for it.
Speaker 3: Because you'll never notice it, and then one day you'll be like, oh, this is a fucking setting for a David Lynch film.
Speaker 2: It's fabulous. I think, you know, it is the most incredible film. It is about Hollywood. It is.
Speaker 3: It is really kind of hard to find a film or anything where acting doesn't hit a bum note, Like being incredible actor is really hard. I think, I say, this is someone who loves watching film and television, and there's not a bum note in that.
Speaker 2: It is so fucking believable while being so bizarre. You have to think about it so hard.
Speaker 3: It is the most glorious, intricate and then simple expression of an idea.
Speaker 2: I fucking love that film in my dream version of my life. I watch it every year. I pick a day and it's my mal Holland drive day.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that. Well, you get no argument for me. I love that film.
Speaker 2: It's not a controversial choice for like a phenomenal film.
Speaker 1: Well not, you know, I can there are people that would not enjoy that, and I get it.
Speaker 2: Oh, let me say I respect someone. If you say I don't like it, I'd be like, oh, so fair. But if you say it's not good, that's what I would take issue with.
Speaker 1: Get out, get the sequence. The thing about acting, there's the amazing sequence where she goes in to do the audition with the creepy guy, and that she's an incredible in that fil Naomi Watts is etordinary. Anyway, what is the film you could or have? What's the most over and over again?
Speaker 2: Ridesmaids fantastic, Girls Trip fantastic, The Bird Cage fantastic, And then it's sort of and then as well, I will keep on if it's on.
Speaker 3: This is a slight more off the beaten path film Sisters, in which Tina Fey and Amy Poehler switched and played against type, and it is a great and it doesn't get quite the credit that A Girl's Tripper a Bridesmaid's gets, But I am telling you you just like, if as long as Amy Pohlar has something okay to work with, you will see one of the most extraordinary performances of all time, like maybe the greatest comic performer.
Speaker 2: I have ever watched in my life.
Speaker 3: Keeping in mind, you know, Melissa McCarthy and Kristino and all these others, we were like, where are the other ones? I was like, that's the good A second I heard saying, there's this consistency doesn't matter. What the fuck you give Amy Pohler, it doesn't matter. She will go and do something crazy with it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love her.
Speaker 3: My mom took my brother and me to New York City in nineteen ninety two and we saw him in a broad as Nathan Lane in a Broadway revival of Guys and Dolls. And it was one of the greatest physical experiences of my life was getting to set in that audience.
Speaker 2: It was He's in that film, I mean, the bird Cage with I mean, it's it's just.
Speaker 1: That he's like a he's a bad mom. He's a bad narcissistic man, but he also.
Speaker 2: Loves him so much. He just loves his little boy so much. But I mean Geene Hackman in that film, I mean that when he's talking about the leaves changing and driving and dieting. I mean, you know it is it's extra like this is the one actually as we're talking where I'm like, if you were allowed with this podcast to like say to your guest that what they had to do was at the end they had to set aside two hours and watch one of the like whatever they were the most moved, I'd be like, that's what I do. I'd go downstairs right now, and I'd be like, watch the bird Cage again, right now. It is so joyful and good.
Speaker 1: What's the west film you've ever seen?
Speaker 2: Oh? You know what?
Speaker 3: I fucking hated. I couldn't remember. I block films that I did filled me with rage. God help the girl. That film, by the like, some member of Belle and Sebastian made a film okay in twenty fourteen, and what I felt I was watching was a bunch of cameras on an emaciated teenager that was being objectified by like old men.
Speaker 2: And I hated it. And it was like eating disorders. Oh what interesting girls have I've got mental health? It was like fuck you fuck y' okay. I don't like when people do that.
Speaker 1: What's the film you're incomedian, what's the film that made you laugh?
Speaker 2: The Moist, Bridesmaids?
Speaker 1: It's a fucking banger.
Speaker 2: It's just it's it's crazy. It's a crazy film. It's it's you know. I am a succession obsessive. And I loved the thinking about why that show was so amazing. It was like a fun place for me to take my hat. I love to think about excellence. Brett and I've been like why the sopranos, Why why? And I think Bridesmaids needs a lot of thinking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not a filmmaker. I don't direct, I don't you know. But I love having shit like that explained to me. And it's the script. It's there's no flab. Every look someone does is infused with comic excellence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agreed, Sarah Baron, you have been wonderful as expected. However, when you were sat at this lake with your grandkids and your great grand kids and your great great grandkids, and you were sat there and you've been ill actually, which is a sort of weird thing to wishing yourself, but not mentally but physically, you've been really ill for quite some time. And then you were sat in this deck chair and then your hearts went, oh god, it wasn't the worst heart attack that seek happened, but it was still the heart attack. And everyone was like swimming shit. Anyway, you died, and I was walking past with the coffin, you know what I'm like, And I goes, anyway, is anyone noticed your great grandma's been a bit still? And they're like, ah fuck, And I say, come on, let's get her in the coffin, but you had grown in the heat and some we couldn't fit in the coffin, so we had to chop you up. I said, kids, get kids, get a load of actses. We've got a load of as put you all in the in the coffin, stuffy and stuffy and stuff. There's no room in this coffin. There's only enough room in this coffin to slip one DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side. And when you get there, it's movie night every night. What film are you taking to show the people in heaven when it is your movie night? Sarah Baron, go.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think I'm going to go with the bird Cage.
Speaker 3: Because I think that, as I said to you as we were talking, it was the one where I went, gosh, ready to go sit down right now, that's what it would be. And it's excellent and it still reminds me of being young and everything the great wide world about to open up before you. And another Dirk secret is I kind of like Miami Beach and there we go.
Speaker 1: It's great. I love my own beach. So, Sarah Baron, thank you for doing this. Tell us what we should look out for and listen to in the coming months.
Speaker 2: Look out for I'm at the Edinburgh French Festival. Please give me a big packed room. Listen to me rage about my mom? Are my anger problems mine or hers? Come be part of the festivities. Also, I know Brett talks about film. I talk about television. I do a television podcast with my husband Jeff. We work together, which is to be admired but also pitied. Our podcast is about trying to find excellence. There's so much TV out there, Brett, but you don't have time to wade through it. You like good shit. You only want to watch good shit. My podcast they like to watch.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you right now the television shows are The Trojan Horse and a Marital Dynamic sits inside.
Speaker 2: The end.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Sarah. I hope you have a wonderful time in Edinburgh and that every night it's a packed night, and that people love your show and you enjoy it and you have perspective and mental health and have a wonderful time.
Speaker 2: Thank you for doing this, Thank you for having me Brat. It was really nice to see you have a good death.
Speaker 1: It was lovely to see you good day to you, Sarah. So that was episode three hundred and nine at Over to the Patreon at patreon dot com. Forward slash Prett Goldsteam for the extra secret chat and videos with Sarah. Go to Apple Podcast give us a five star rating. Right about the film that means the most of you and why It's a lovely thing to reading. My Nabor Marien loves it. It helps with numbers and we really appreciate it. Thank you very much. I hope you're all well. Thank you to Sarah for giving me a time. Thanks to Scruby's piping the Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and miil Ferareh's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics at least Alight them for the photography. Come join me next week for another excellent guest. Thank you all for listening. I really appreciate it. That is it for now. In the meantime, have a lovely week, and please, now more than ever, be excellent to each other.