Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Let's talk about this all with Hayman Capital Management founder and CIO Kyle Bass joining us. Now, Kyle, it's great to have you with us. I know that last week on a competing network, you said that I think the tariffs are thoughtful. I think they will work. With that in mind, I would love to hear your thoughts on what you make of the tariff rollout and that now this ninety day pause. Which adjectives would you use?
Speaker 2: Now I've used the same adjectives.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, you've got seventy five countries to reach out to us in two days, and they're all countries that matter minus China on a trade perspective. So you know it takes it takes ninety days to sit down with someone and iron out something that isn't simply a tariff number.
Speaker 2: There's tariffs, non tariff barriers, there's currency.
Speaker 3: There's all kinds of inputs to this equation, and so giving a ninety day reprieve while they hammer out trade deals is a good idea.
Speaker 4: Kyle.
Speaker 5: We have had a lot of big multinationals pulling their outlooks due to this uncertainty, and then small main street businesses writing in on mass and saying it's just impossible to do business in this economy.
Speaker 4: Who are these tariffs good for?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's more important to reset the trade relationships between the United States and the rest of the world. And I believe President Trump thinks that bilateral trade negotiations end up being better for the world's largest consumer, which is the United States.
Speaker 2: And so if we can.
Speaker 3: Get to a place where trade is more fair, then I think we can get to a foundation where we can build, grow, where we can grow once again and grow from a much stronger foundation. These tariffs, these non tariff barriers, the manipulation that's gone on against the United States for so long is no longer going to happen. And I think our trade relationship with China is the one that doesn't look to have any off ramps at this moment in time. But I can tell you that once all of these agreements get hammered out, the US is going to be in a much better place.
Speaker 1: Well, Kyle, to that point, I know that you're focused on China. Do you see any chance of a de escalation? I know that you said that there isn't a clear off ramp right now. But do you see any chance that things could cool down or do you think that this trade war specifically between the US and China is just getting started here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it actually got started back when China's sent of the WTO and China's been at this trade war with the United States for its entire ascension, call it twenty three years. And so the US has just figured out what China's malign intentions are. And we all know. We've seen their militaristic belligerents in the Second Thomas Show and the Philippines, We've seen it surrounding Taiwan. We've listened to the rhetoric of shijiping, and we are now in a place where we're going tit for tat on tariffs. Where I think China's made a grave error here is, as you know, we only export about one hundred and forty billion a year to China and we import call it, four hundred and fifty billion from them, And so I think that if we're doing tit for tat on tariffs, than China loses because there is no functional equivalency in the amount of goods and services moving back and forth. So we'll see what happens here. But I think it looks like we're in a game of we can call it a Chinese standoff, or we can call it a Mexican standoff.
Speaker 2: I don't see an off ramp here.
Speaker 6: Kyle, to the extent that you see escalation of this trade war with China in particular, you're looking at two whales in the ocean going at it, and you do have investors getting increasingly concerned about a weakening here of Chinese currency in order to boost their exports. How many tools does China have really in order to fight the US on this battle?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you heard Treasury Secretary Besson said they're playing poker Han with a pair of twos. They've got a banking system that's three and a half times more levered than ours, and they've only been at banking roughly for twenty years, like real banking, So they've got a system that's levered to real estate, and real estate in China's down thirty to fifty percent, depending upon.
Speaker 2: Where you are.
Speaker 3: So they've got an insolvent banking system. They've got runaway unemployment amongst your youth. They've got another twelve million kids graduating their universities this year. And so you've got youth unemployment, a banking system that's insolvent, you've got.
Speaker 2: A real estate collapse.
Speaker 3: And so when you're asking me what tools China has, they've got a couple of places where they could really press us. Right one, believe it or not, we still have the majority of our active pharmaceutical ingredients for all antibiotics in the US made in the city of Wuhan.
Speaker 2: That's just a it's a sad truth.
Speaker 3: And then on the finishing side of synthetic graphite on rareth minerals, if you remember back in our trades bat in twenty nineteen, Xijingping mad made a visit to where they do the rareth metals finishings and we have seen we haven't seen g since April seventh, So you know, we'll we'll we'll see.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see what he does.
Speaker 3: But he can he can start with holding things like antibiotics and rareth minerals.
Speaker 2: But this is something that our administration has thought through.
Speaker 1: Well, Kyle, I wanted to talk to you as an investor now too, because as Janelle mentioned, of course, China has been signaling that it will gradually let the yuan weekend, And I'm curious how you're approaching that, whether you're seeing that as a trade and betting against the offshore.
Speaker 3: You want No, I think I'm not at the moment, but I would say that it is not under China's control. When you think about go back to the to the Asian financial crisis of nineteen ninety seven and ninety eight, it wasn't it wasn't Thailand's decision to let go.
Speaker 2: It was Thailand running out of reserves. And so when you look at.
Speaker 3: China and the offshore you Wan, in the end, China's got to spend dollars to support that relationship.
Speaker 2: And China needs a strong you Wan.
Speaker 3: They buy thirteen million barrels of cruit every day, eight and a half bees of gas every day, and they buy forty percent of their food every day in dollars. So if for some reason they have to let that relationship go and the you won weekend as we saw it weekend two days ago, to its weakest level ever, we'll see if that if that relationship holds.
Speaker 2: And my view is when you look at the.
Speaker 3: Differentials and interest rates and you look at China's bond market, the one thing that can't be lying coming out of China is their bond market go where the look at the Chinese tenure, it's collapsed. So their economy is in a very different place than now. And that relationship between the one and the dollar and the Hong Kong dollar and the dollar is that's a tenuous relationship and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 5: Hey, Kyle, just quickly, what do you think the most they can allow the on to weaken is? I mean, where's the point where they have to step in and can't allow any more slippage?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean it's just begune. All you've seen is a move from roughly six twenty to seven forty over a period of time. So you know, typically again when countries run out of reserves, as you know, the currency flaps in the wind. So there's this concept of them quote controlling where it is. And then there's the uncontrollable moves. And what we saw in the Asian financial crisis, even with the largest player back then was South Korea, we saw some pretty notable currency moves. And I think that's coming, and you know, I just I don't know if it's coming in the next month or so, but I'll tell you the interest rate differentials, the business cycle differential are going to dictate the movements and the currency. So we do expect the Chinese currency to weaken pretty materially against the dollar.
Speaker 1: Kyle, I want to talk about the tariffs that are still in place. Of course, we got the news about the ninety day pause on certain countries yesterday, but you take a look at what still stands. You have twenty five percent on steel aluminum autos, twenty five percent on auto parts starting from May third. And I want to bring this to your home state of Texas. I know that you're a Texas guy and you think about Texas's economy. There's a lot of car dealerships, there's a lot of car companies, and of course a lot of energy there. I'm curious, you know what you think the impact on Texas might be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean in the near term, the impact is going to be slightly negative, right, But when you when you think about the carve outs. First of all, you know we import about four point two trillion a year as a country.
Speaker 2: Roughly forty percent.
Speaker 3: Of those imports were already exempt from this new round of tariffs. You mentioned the two thirty two tariffs, right, steel, aluminum, autos, auto parts, things like that. But I think it's important to understand that those two thirty two tariffs, second two thir two tiarffs were put on by Trump and his in his last administration, and if you remember, Biden ran on we're going to cancel those the tariffs. In the end, what happens is when someone like China, a state actor, can act uneconomically or non economically and they can flood your market with steel or aluminum or synthetically synthetic graphite or anything like that. And why it's important is they can act for a longer period of time to put your businesses out of business, so they can take capacity utilization down enough to where they can literally turn our steel industry off, turn our aluminum industry off. So those tariffs are necessary, and those will live and they will live into the future, and they may not be high enough. We must maintain domestic production of certain things from a national security perspective, and that's why those stand where they stand. For autos, it just you know, you see China building plants in Mexico and Canada. So basically to avoid the tariffs on on their cars, and so we're our negotiations with Mexico and Canada are primarily on fentanyl, secondarily on Chinese transshipments, and we'll end up.
Speaker 6: Getting this right, Kyle, Even if you believe that the tariffs are ultimately necessary for the American economy, how much more pain do investors have to bear? Because you do still see the S and P five hundred after yesterday's rally, still down more than seven percent this year, You saw the bond market whips on wildly just this week. How much more pain is there as this transition and this negotiation proceeds.
Speaker 3: I think, so we need to separate a few things that you said. The bond market had a had to fit you know this in the selloff, and it was largely due to it wasn't a basis trade. You know, it's the it's the fixed floating swaps, and I know that gets in a world that.
Speaker 2: A lot of people don't want to talk about.
Speaker 3: But it was very simply a regulatory trade that bond traders had on expecting expecting banks' abilities to buy treasuries to increase, and then the tariff mayhem showed up and that had to unwind. I think that had a lot to do with the crazy move in the tenure. So I think things are settling down. But you know, as far as stocks are concerned, you've heard the President, you've heard the Treasury secretaries say, we have to make some difficult choices, and we must reset our trade relationships for the rest of the world. We also must narrow our fiscal deficit in the United States. And both of those things might be slightly recessionary. And if that's true, we might have to go through a brief recession in order to rebuild our foundation. And you say, how much longer can investors hold? You know, Look, the market's not up into the right, you know, every year of every decade.
Speaker 2: And I think that.
Speaker 3: This is a necessary reset so that we can grow again in the future and grow more thoughtfully.
Speaker 5: Kyle as an avowed free market capitalist, I care mostly about myself.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So the twenty seventeen Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, President Trump punched me in the gut with a massive tax raise, right because he takes out all of a sudden, this state and local tax deduction cap that's been in place, or it puts in a cap after we had a state and local tax deduction.
Speaker 4: For one hundred and four years.
Speaker 5: If I can get a discount now in my taxes because of DOGE cuts or because of revenue on tariffs, I'll be happy. And you have said you think that DOGE is going to cut six hundred billion out of government costs and that we could raise six hundred billion in revenue. Is that going to offset the tax increase that Trump handed me in twenty seventeen somehow?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: And look, let me let me begin by saying, Matt, I know you're out in things for yourself, and that's I guess what you care about. Uh That the good news is is is you and I and Wall Street are not setting trade policy for the world. Because if if if all we did was open ourselves the unrestricted free trade, we'd all be speaking Chinese tomorrow. We need to be thinking about national security in the long run. On the tax side, you know, there there are going to be some tax breaks, but there they are not going to be uh for for the for the top of the for the top of the scale. It's going to be focused more in the middle class and as far as as far as state and local deduction caps. I mean, it's interesting to see the migration in the United States. You live in a place that sounds like it has state and local taxes. One could say.
Speaker 4: That pay property taxes, right, don't you in Texas?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do, we pay property tax.
Speaker 3: But when you think about high tax, high cost jurisdictions that some some might say or mismanaged, you see the migration in the US moving from the northeast and the west coast to the south to Florida, Tennessee, Texas, South Carolina. And that's where major businesses and people are moving. And so I think that tax arbitrage or movement is going to continue for the next call it ten years to come.
Speaker 2: And I think you're seeing people vote with their feet.
Speaker 1: And I do want to defend Matt a little bit. I know you care about more than just yourself, but people care.
Speaker 5: About in terms of the wealth of nations, right, Adam Smith.
Speaker 4: That's how capitalism works.
Speaker 5: Every man for himself, that's how it's supposed to work.
Speaker 1: Well, Kyle, with that in mind, I want to talk to you about you and your future because Bloomberg reported in January that the Trump administration was considering you for opposed to either the Treasury Department or the Defense Department, And I'm really curious here we sit in April, are you joining the administration?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm going to go no comment there.
Speaker 3: It's it's not worth talking about unless unless there's actually a deal on the table, and there certainly is no deal on the table. My biggest regret in life is that I've never formally served our country. And if there's a place where I can serve it and it can work out in my life as well, then I'm always open.
Speaker 2: I've got open ears.
Speaker 6: I'll definitely come back if and when you do have a deal. But I also have another question, Kyle, for you about you and your portfolio. When you look at this market, how do you play this? What are the trades that you would put on right now?
Speaker 3: You know, I think that I think when the market's down twenty it's you know, year to date, which was I guess a couple of days ago. I think that's I think it's an overreaction. But when I think about the coming GDP prints, you're going to see a recessionary impulse. You're going to see a slight inflationary uptick on a couple of goods that ended up in the tariff. Melee but I believe the slight recession impulse that we're going to see over the next six months will actually bring the general price level down. I don't think you're going to see a big inflationary move or stag inflationary move. So I think six months from now, the market's going to be in a much better place.
Speaker 2: And that's with the caveat of If.
Speaker 3: China doesn't that Taiwan, if things in Iran don't get much worse, and if things in Russia Ukraine don't get much worse, I think things are gonna look better.
Speaker 2: In the next six months.
Speaker 3: If China invades Taiwan, I think I think all bets are.
Speaker 1: Off all right, Kyle, we got to leave it there. You've been very generous with your time this morning.
Speaker 4: Really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: That is Hayman Capital's Kyle Bass