Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we're not walking on eggshells and the Chris Westling podcast studio.
Speaker 2: Because the Eagles won this week.
Speaker 1: We're not afraid of you, angry Colleen Wolf. Yes, I am so happy to be joined by Colleen Wolf and Jordan rod Reege.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 3: Ah, you know what it is. It is a good day, a better day than it was last week this time. So I'm not acting like a terrorist in here.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: It would be fun if Colleen actually was like that, like the type of person you couldn't bring up like bad things around because she just acts out and lashes out.
Speaker 4: You know what, though, Colleen, if we can't handle you at your Eagles loss, we don't deserve you at your Eagles win. A.
Speaker 1: Yes, so the Eagles, they got a big win on Sunday. I still feel like I'm riding the high from the Monday night games were next, Jordan, I sent you.
Speaker 4: Like one hundred texts and thirty seconds. I was so excited. I was so freaking fired up.
Speaker 2: That was awesome.
Speaker 5: Even just our show, text chain was going off and I was like, comatos on my couch.
Speaker 3: I'll text you guys in the morning.
Speaker 2: But that was exciting.
Speaker 1: That did feel like I mean, I keep replacing him, but that felt like the first the next big moment of the season, Like that was the best thing that's happened this season. Jade and Daniels just going off and so you know that that inspires us. We like that a lot, and we're going to keep it simple today. We're going to talk about what we like so far, stuff we like and stuff we don't like.
Speaker 2: This season.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like we've had a lot of I think, big concept shows on the Connie Jordan Wednesdays. So this is kind of like theme you know what a big budget director he's got, you like, like Paul Thomas Anderson has There will be blood and then you know, you got to change a little tone. You can't just keep You can't go higher than there will be blood. I don't think we can go higher than we did last So this is our phantom thread.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're making us chill a little bit, is basically what.
Speaker 1: You're just saying. Fandom but sometimes those are the best fandom thread. Yeah, better than there will be bludd.
Speaker 4: I would I think that Greg was just tired of losing to me and Judge. Connie so this is where we come in with this outstanding theme. I am really excited about this because we have.
Speaker 6: Some fun things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do some not so fun things, yes, And next week we will go back to big concept because we are officially bringing back quarterback Island. We've afard from a lot of the listeners who have been proposing. Okay, Jayden Daniels, he's on the island.
Speaker 2: Good thing, Greg, you.
Speaker 1: Didn't get Caleb Williams on the island because he would have been being taken off. So four weeks, Jordan, I know you're a woman that likes things to make sense, and four weeks does make sense. For a time, we're going to evaluate all the quarterbacks, but today we're going to talk about what we like.
Speaker 2: Why don't you get us going, Jordan? Why not?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I'm excited about this.
Speaker 4: I actually like that Offens's quarterback play passing in general is down. And stick with me here on this because I know that a lot of people are not super thrilled with that. But I think that this is going to be where we actually kind of weed out some of the coaches who are actually great coaches, teachers, adjusters. The frauds are going to exposed, and then we might weed out some people who maybe aren't kind of ready to meet this cycle of offense and of defense as being smarter than ever where it's at right now, and then it opens up more opportunity for people who are ready to climb that ladder. I think that this is super interesting, just watching the way that some of these coaches, even when they I also like that. I don't like when people get hurt, obviously, but I like that some of these coaches have also hit adversity. I see you guys have put Sean McVay and the Rams on this too. Well.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure I got Jordan with a burn book of coaches that she's just waiting to be exposed.
Speaker 4: It's just it's like Ryan from the office, I'm just scribbling in a no pot.
Speaker 3: She has a little list that she's just watching.
Speaker 1: It's true, though, like the same stuff never works for that long in the NFL, and we're kind of seeing league wide that the same stuff is not working and you can't buy a big play.
Speaker 6: Well, I like it.
Speaker 4: My point too, I like that coach is some of these coaches who are hitting adversity. I'm talking about Sean mcvah. I'm talking about Matt Lafleur. I'm talking about Kevin O'Connell and what they dealt.
Speaker 6: With since last season.
Speaker 4: Really, these being forced to deal and adjust and adapt through adversity is making these coaches better.
Speaker 6: You can see it in front of you.
Speaker 4: You saw it the way Sean McVay completely changed the RAMS identity last week. Greg, I know you guys talked about that on the recap show. To a twelve personnel team has had to completely overhaul certain elements, but they had that ready to go just in case they did hit adversity. They installed that entire package in the summer and in the spring and then recalled it instead of uploading it fresh, which is a godsend to players because they can recall that memory bank versus actually trying to create something new on the fly. The things that Matt Lafleur is doing with Malik willis he is raising the floor or of the quarterback. He's accentuating where he's gifted, and he's giving him more answers. With all that they're increasing their motion usage, He's giving him more answers to what the defenses will show him in terms of their pressure. The way that they'll move when space changes against them, because defenses are smarter than ever, and these coaches are using every tool that they have to try to get those answers from these defenses. But in certain ways, some coaches you're seeing already and you'll continue to see from the real ones the way that these offenses and these teams continue to adjust, and the ones who can't are the ones who are probably we're kind of muttering about behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: You know, let's do it in front of the scenes. Like we got a Cowboys Giants preview coming up. Mike McCarthy stands out to me as a guy who maybe doesn't like make game plans as specific to the matchup that he has and maybe struggles to deal with adversary. We'll get to Dallas Cowboys and Giants and our TNF preview.
Speaker 2: But I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that the league is always evolving in that way. It's like it doesn't have to be off it. There was actually a moment as I was watching some horrible Broncos tape after Week two, and I was like, actually kind of miss offenses being this bad, Like it's it's bringing it's.
Speaker 5: That's the most greg thing I've ever heard in my life.
Speaker 1: It's bringing me back to some like two thousand and five, forty nine ers or Jimmy Klausen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those were the big no.
Speaker 1: But I just like diversity where there's there's some like truly it's so bad it's good those type of movies, or it's so bad it's good that it's almost fun for me.
Speaker 5: It's like a fast and furious like you just want to like a compilation of that again.
Speaker 1: But I just being like diversity, where there's there's big ups, there's big downs, and sometimes it's so bad you can't turn your head away.
Speaker 4: Here's the moment we're at right now, though. This is like defenses are smarter than ever, they're more multiple than ever, they have more answers to all of the millions of things that offenses are doing against them. Defensive coordinators and defensive head coaches are better right now than they have been. And I think that this is going to tell we're at the precipice of the next big shift. We were at one back in twenty seventeen, and we're at another one again, and you're gonna see that become a catalyst with a few people in the front and everybody else behind. And that's what I like about this is that you're and some of it's forced through people not raising their hands and volunteering to be ahead. They just kind of have to be because of the ways that adversity has hit, injuries have hit, the ways that defense has started playing them. They have to change and they are, but they're bringing their players with them. I think we're entering this golden era of coaching too with the right people. If the right people, you know, continue to progress that they're reaching their players in really cool ways where they're bringing their players with them.
Speaker 6: They're not assigning people into boxes.
Speaker 4: They're kind of like, oh, you know, you look at what Kevin O'Connell's doing, not just with Sam Darnold, with Justin Jefferson, absolute bona fide star All Pro receiver, but he's not just using him to get him open. He's using him to also open up all kinds of other answers for the quarterback on any given play, whether the defense is right or wrong. And I think that that is what you see with coaches who are really like seeking how many different things their players can do with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's figuring out what your players do well. It's like, I mean, that's in maximizing that instead of just having a system and this is the system that we run.
Speaker 4: But I like that there's a push behind them that they didn't necessarily ask for. Like I like that they're kind of having have to do it versus.
Speaker 1: And let's come down about the whole like defenses they're dominating and like put like it's like when they were talking about we got a ban the cover two and stuff that was that was silly, But they were talking about the seventies and eighties as if that was some like great days of pass catch like points are still way higher than they were like fifteen sixteen years ago.
Speaker 2: It's it's fine.
Speaker 5: You mentioned Matt Lafleur, and I know that you guys already covered him, but I just absolutely love his tenderness for Willis.
Speaker 4: That's a like it's so bure there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And when he talked about how like he can't articulate the way that he has come in here and been able to adapt and how he's only been there for I mean that first week, what he had only been in Green Bay for like eighteen days, and then this twenty seven days. But he was like, I know that you guys think you know how difficult this is, but you don't know. And it was just so sweet and genuine listening to Matt Lafleur talk about him.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 2: I just like the use of the word tenderness.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what I felt, a tenderness.
Speaker 5: It felt like there was a real love there between the two of them.
Speaker 1: And maliqu Willis seems to be a guy that does inspire that sort of tenderness that he's just a very likable person that you root for even in Tennessee.
Speaker 2: I think that was the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's been to me one of the coolest stories of the entire season. That's a great like there, I'm gonna let's throw out a random like let's go defensive coaches, and I'm thinking about Monday Night, but I'm also thinking about throughout the league. But Sean McDermott and Dan Quinn specifically were he Morris Raheem Morris like going forward on fourth down, it's all just now so accepted that like, oh, like the war is over, like we on the fourth down evangelist one that you don't even notice it, but shot like guys like Sean McDermott. This year I've noticed are routinely going for fourth and two, fourth and three, fourth and fourth because he realizes, oh, I've got Josh freaking Allen. And he did it on Monday Night's game, And if it had been a close game, it would have been a bigger deal. But early in the game. I've noticed that over and over again, and I went and looked. They have traditionally been at the very bottom of the league in terms of going for it on fourth down. So far this year they've been above average with it. And then dan Quinn doing it in a key spot knowing his defense actually isn't good. And so I do like to see these defensive coaches actually finding religion. And I think of McDermott with your boy Ron Rivera back in the day.
Speaker 2: It's like when Riverboat.
Speaker 1: Ron started going for four down, we had a whole like we had a whole theme of it for the entire season on around the NFL was such a big thing. Now it happens like his protecede, Sean McDermott, and it's all happening quietly because it's like, oh, of course they're going for fourth down in their own end, like early in the game when it's close. But it's cool to see defensive coaches now, it's like everyone's almost everyone's on board.
Speaker 5: Like Aldamar Hamlin too last night get his first interception while we're talking about the Bills, and it was just so poetic that it came on his first start on a Monday night since the January second game, and that Troy and Joe were in the booth in Cincinnati with the other game, and it just all kind of felt so perfect the moment and the way that the Bills bench reacted to him too, it was like it felt really heartwarming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really crazy to think of what the Bill's record is since the moment Tyler Dunn dropped that story about Sean mc dermott trying to motivate his team with nine to eleven analogies, because since then they've basically been undefeated.
Speaker 2: So if it was like a different story, you don't.
Speaker 3: Remember this, I remember, but when it was that, it was.
Speaker 1: The very lowest moment of last season, when it was all falling apart. They were one game over five hundred. After that, they basically didn't lose the game again. The rest of the regular season. Of course didn't happen for them in playoffs, but they were a flat team and then now they're starting out this season like a house on fire. So I don't know, right at the lowest moment, you know, I like for me.
Speaker 4: To just piggyback on the Bills talk because I think we all like what the Bills are doing right now, and that tomorrow moment was was so great. No, so much joy in that too, and kind of relief probably too, just but just.
Speaker 5: Like and that the refs didn't like call anything either, because they could have if they were kind of not realizing the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like excessive celebrations act is what she's talking about. Yeah, So I like the general vibes around the Bills. They're fun, creative on offense, Josh Allen, And it's too early to say this, so I'm not really saying it is playing at an MVP clip.
Speaker 6: The defense is clear.
Speaker 1: Actually, it's okay to say if it fits really my agenda host because I picked him to win MVP before this season, so that Josh all right, it's.
Speaker 4: Always really good to be reminded of when Greg is right.
Speaker 2: So just doesn't happen show.
Speaker 4: But the defense that we're all worried, I mean, they're clearly getting coached up. And then I also really really like that this is an offense with the quarterbacks room and the skill players that all play Settlers of Katan together. Josh Allen, Josh, I've been so excited to talk about this. Josh Allen was talking about this over the summer and ESPN Aleena Getzenberg does a great job over there. She just did a story on it as well. But for those who don't know Settlers of Catan a strategy board game, listen, I am a Settlers of Catan player. I'm decent, good, not great, But I will tell you if you can healthily get through a serious game of Settlers of Katan and still look this cohesive on offense, like that game ruins friendships, destroys lives, makes people hate each other. So if you can actually get through that game at that competitive level that they're talking about, they do and as a group and still look this telling you.
Speaker 2: That Jordan's left on the road.
Speaker 3: Have you lost friends over this game?
Speaker 4: I don't want to talk about it, but I'm just saying, like this a game gets really intense. There's backstabbing involved. So the fact that you can actually like have a blast playing and then like you ever played Colleen, No, and I'm what you guys are with.
Speaker 3: The an average game.
Speaker 4: Last yeah, ours, there's expansion packs you can you can do, there's it's it's a whole thing.
Speaker 3: Well, I get into it.
Speaker 1: I played it once set my friend the v Tex house, uh identical twin brothers who are two of my best friends growing up, and we went over there like all, you'll love it, and we played risk together. Risk was one thing I liked risk, but one time I came over for Settlers of Catanna and it was like a step too far. I couldn't focus for that long, and I was the one that was just like, yeah, it's too much for me.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 4: There's so much, like every moment is like constant strategy and like trying to have it so like my worst deal, it's very it's total anxiety. It's total anxiety. So I already lived.
Speaker 3: With total anxiety.
Speaker 5: I don't want to play a game it induces more.
Speaker 4: But that this team can do that like together, like the skill players, the tight ends, the quarterbacks, they all play it together. So that they can do that and like get through it and look this good on.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm with Colleen, like and this has literally happened. Sometimes we're at a party and like people are kind of playing like party games or whatever. Colleen and I will just be kind of standing talking to each other in the corner because it's like that's that's too much.
Speaker 5: Having way less fun to me, so much investment, Like how how long is.
Speaker 6: This be playing on your phone?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 6: There are apps different, like come on, guys, let's get it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I play Jenga and like Backgammon.
Speaker 2: That's it all right, throw us another, like Colleen.
Speaker 3: Okay, Sam freaking I Yes we do.
Speaker 5: Because I would love to remind you Greg that I've been talking about Sam Darnold and the Viking since before the season started, and I was so excited to watch him throw four.
Speaker 3: Touchdowns on Sunday. Thank god. His knee is okay, by the way, but he's how about this.
Speaker 5: He's the first quarterback start and win each of the Vikings first three games since Brett Favre did it in two thousand and nine. They haven't started the Vikings three and oh since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: And that was the first a year though. Twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, but outside of the At.
Speaker 2: That hour, Sam Bradford, how could you not love.
Speaker 3: The story of Sam Donald.
Speaker 5: Bill Belichick was on Pat McAfee and he had said, everybody is.
Speaker 3: Like Donald except the Jets.
Speaker 5: The people in Carolina that I talked to really liked him. I know Kevin O'Connell and some of the coaches of Minnesota. They really liked the guy too, So it seems like the only people that didn't like Donald was the Jets.
Speaker 1: I just love that he prepped that line, and Greg, that's kind of cool. He definitely did. He prepped that line. He hit it twice. I love that about Bill Belichick. He loves to just like stick it to the Jets. I'd noticed he was sticking it to the Falcons. Oh we go, the team that turned him down for a job. Don't think that was.
Speaker 6: A good Oh my god, A petty TV moment for sure.
Speaker 5: I hope Bill Belichick has a burn book. Actually probably does.
Speaker 2: He definitely does. I think that's how he operates through life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I love the Sam Darnald story.
Speaker 4: I know that it's taking You're creaking into the lane with us here, Greg, I know that you're like, you know.
Speaker 6: Waiting for the bottom to fall out. The other shooted drop, but you know.
Speaker 3: Let your hair down, Greg, I don't come join me with the Viking.
Speaker 2: I can recognize he's playing well.
Speaker 4: I thought I heard you use the word awesome in a recent recap.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you're using my own words.
Speaker 4: I've never been more powerful in this moment.
Speaker 5: Actually, twitch is faced it, Greg, You're passing touchdown leaders through three weeks, Sam Donald, Josh Allen.
Speaker 3: Baker Mayfield is is Gino up there?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: He's not so well.
Speaker 6: He's one of my my likes that I didn't get on here. He's playing.
Speaker 5: He probably has more backdowns because they are all tied with four and then there's a five way tie for second play with three touchdowns.
Speaker 2: What are we talking about here?
Speaker 1: We're getting entering week four and tied for three touchdowns?
Speaker 5: Is like in fourth or fifth passing some of them are mixing and passing touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Is are so down yet only one game two three touchdowns. It shows you just evaluate.
Speaker 6: The ball as a side note too, on the Viking.
Speaker 4: Again on the Vikings, but I really you know the Brian flora is higher. I mean, I know that I know that we're We've talked about this a lot, and it's rightfully gotten praise.
Speaker 6: I do love this is a sort of a nod to the.
Speaker 4: Ringer Stephen Ruiz, who I think came up with the original meme for this. But Brian Flores's game plans have sort of become acid tests for quarterbacks. I have to think that playing against him in practice because just like everybody who kind of has come through either the forty nine ers buildings, they run a lot more of a live scout or like good on good situations that everyone calls them something different, but they run eleven on eleven's as live as possible at certain periods through the course of the practice. So you are getting those looks against Brian Flores is like mad scientist scheme. I think that's an ego less higher if you're like the quarterback, the former quarterback, you know who was the journeyman backup, and then you go out and hire like the guy who tortures quarterbacks. Sure, I just think that this is just a really cool pairing. And even against CJ. Stroud, what was really cool that they did was they blitzed CJ. Stroud on over half of his dropbacks in the first half last week, and then all of a sudden they completely flipped it on his head, on the plan on its head, and then they totally stopped on not totally, I mean twenty percent of time stop blitzing at that rate. And then they just dropped everybody. So it basically is like a blender situation.
Speaker 1: Sure we're having a different game plan for the second half than the first half or the second quarter then the first.
Speaker 2: That's what the great one.
Speaker 5: And Sam Darnold has improved significantly against the Blitz to your point going against Bryan Flores, because he's thrown three of his four touchdowns against the Blitz, which is a far cry from twenty nineteen when he threw three interceptions against the Blitz versus New England, which was the second most in any game eighteen.
Speaker 3: And so he was not good before. It is healing same Darnald is healing healing us too. Oh, I love the drop.
Speaker 6: We're gonna get spicy.
Speaker 1: He is not getting on good job, and I gotta I gotta check myself.
Speaker 4: Greg needs a fourth in this room because the number.
Speaker 2: Why are you available next week? Wherever you are? Okay?
Speaker 1: I was wondering if I'm being like a little bit of a hater watching Donald's tape every week and thinking there are still like two or three of the Donalds plays that I'm not putting him in like the top five of how he's played so far this year.
Speaker 4: And then I tried to I don't think rational people are doing okay, okay, yeah, but the producing.
Speaker 2: The numbers are great.
Speaker 1: He when he holds the ball, I think bad things still happen. So I did look at some of the numbers. He has been great against the blitz, making quick decisions. He has been great when throwing the ball under two and a half seconds, So I think that's where the offensive scheme is winning for him and he's being decisive. But he still holds the ball a lot, seventh highest time to throw in the league. He's not like having these turnover worthy plays. That's good, But when he's held the ball, he hasn't really been that effective. When he's been out of play action, he hasn't been that effective. It's like twelve yards per attempt in play action, like six point eight with that, which isn't crazy, Like that's Jared Goff. If he can turn you into if he can turn into Jared Goff. He's going to make a lot of money and have a great, great career. The thing that makes me wonder if he is going to develop and have so much time to play in this system and get better. Actually, in this game against Houston, I thought he was much better when he did hold the ball, not making bad decisions that I think was a problem for him for two weeks. So if that's a sign of like progress, I thought his game against Houston was particularly good.
Speaker 4: And using play action has often been like the go to cheat code for coordinators and coaches and that when they're trying to raise the floor of a quarterback. But actually what they're doing also in tandem with that, and it certainly is raising the floor for Sam Darnold, is they're actually using their motions to reset and realign formations to pull defenders back down toward the line of scrimmage. They're using motion as sort of the cheat code in this way because they're changing basically the spacing on the field with it versus just sending a guy to get information from the defense. So it's helping Sam find more space basically.
Speaker 1: And yeah, like the numbers when when he is getting rid of the ball third and completion percentage over expected second in EPA per drop back second and success right when he throws under two and a half seconds. So that's coaching, that's Sam Darnold. And you're right about the acid test for Brian Flores. It's like quarterbacks are taking acid when they're playing the Minnesota can't wait to say that.
Speaker 6: I love that for you.
Speaker 3: What would happen? What did that look like?
Speaker 6: Will Evis?
Speaker 2: It might just be it might just be fun.
Speaker 1: It might just be fun, like the month that me and like ten of my restaurant employee friends just were like taking acid on Martha's Vineyard one of the best months of mine. Were you a waiter with that? I was, let's take a quick break?
Speaker 2: I mean it was.
Speaker 1: It honestly felt like like this day last boy fun.
Speaker 2: They got a quick break. Mostly back after this back on NFL Daily. Yeah, we're feeling positive.
Speaker 1: We're in the flow of the season week four, so it's a lot of likes. I do have a lot of dislikes too, but we're gonna get to that next. We're gonna believe that we're gonna keep it ordered and keep it with the likes why don't.
Speaker 2: You go next, Kelly?
Speaker 5: Okay, I love First of all, I love when brothers are both in the NFL. It's always super fun, especially if they play against each other. But in this instance, we have JJ Watt and t J Watt and JJ Watt is interviewing TJ Watt and I think it was at the half of the Steelers game, so in case you didn't hear it, listen to what he said.
Speaker 8: All Right, I know you're trying to get in that right headspace. I know you and Danny just announced that you guys are pregnant and expecting your first child. Me personally knowing what that why means and knowing how important that is, I wanted to give you a little gift before you head back into the locker room to say congratulations on your new child and wish you guys all the best.
Speaker 2: Thanks, man, I appreciate you trying to mess up my headspace. Appreciated.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go back.
Speaker 8: In ten days after I had Coha, So I'm just saying, we've seen a lot of great things. We might see some great We.
Speaker 2: Get it, James, we get it.
Speaker 1: Keep pumping yourself up.
Speaker 4: That's all.
Speaker 3: Go back in the locker room, have a great day, all right.
Speaker 9: So that was on CBS's NFL today and it was just so funny because JJ gives TJ this little tiny, like number ninety jersey.
Speaker 3: That says dad on the back of it. It's like a very sweet, wholesome moment.
Speaker 5: And then when TJ says, like, you know, I appreciate you trying to get like mess my headspace up.
Speaker 3: Whatever, I'm gonna go lock back in. But when he said, as we get it, James, we get it. Keep pumping yourself up. That is so great.
Speaker 5: I love it so much, and TJ Watt is saying essentially what we all are thinking all the time when JJ does what he does, and I love to see it alive and well within the family.
Speaker 1: It's very little brother, big brother energy. I absolutely love it. And it is funny because I thought I thought about this lately and when did JJ wat get the hair he looks completely different. I don't know why I haven't. I haven't seen that for a while. No, no, no, not that. But I'm just saying that the haircut he has sort of like a CPS haircut where it just looks very different. I haven't seen it, and I love that because JJ Watt has made it a great transformation. He used to be the target of a lot of jokes.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: On the Around the NFL podcast, Chris used to get Wes you know who this studio is named that used to get so mad about his self promotion and just you know. But then I really think as he got older and more mature in the end of his career and he has a baby and wife and everything, he actually became much more likable and a little more self aware.
Speaker 2: And so I like, I still he can't help himself.
Speaker 4: I love the sibling like I'm going to use your thing to talk about my thing.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's the typical.
Speaker 4: That's a classic.
Speaker 3: In ten games after we had co o.
Speaker 1: At already, it's like, yeah, all right, I'm going to jump in with a couple of Steelers likes. Okay, first of all, I just like the Steelers team. Was not expecting them to.
Speaker 6: They've grown on you quite a bit. They fit Art Smith rebrand.
Speaker 1: They fit the whole twenty twenty four mindset, except they can't really run the ball, so I guess maybe they don't. But just right, just that the Steelers are doing well in this season fit somehow defensively, but number one, they're young defensive players. Like it annoys me that it took them this long to get Herbig out there, Nick Herberg out there because they don't let TJ walk at any rest whatsoever when he could use some rest. And you have a great third rusher. But it took Alex Heismith getting hurt for Herbert to get out there. He gets out there for eight snap, eight past rows snaps, he gets four pressures, two sacks. This guy has been electric in the preseason. Sometimes it's nice to see the preseason validate, you know your time spent watching and he's awesome.
Speaker 2: And then Joey Porter Junior is just he's like their nude.
Speaker 1: How perfect Joey Porter and I know they played different positions, but in terms of the attitude that he brings, in the energy that he brings their defense I think feeds off of him. And he's going one on one with these great wide receivers.
Speaker 2: He's a dog.
Speaker 4: They are so classic to me, but in a very new age way. The premium positions on this defensive roster, pass rusher and corner, especially like elite number one corner.
Speaker 6: That's so cool.
Speaker 4: Classic it's vintage in a very steelersy way the way that they play football. But it's also a very smart, well coach team as well for what twenty four is right now. And then the offense is catching up a little bit on the other.
Speaker 1: Side, Yes, Justin Fields is playing against the title in the middle.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, we actually have a spray chart.
Speaker 1: I believe that we could show if you're watching on YouTube, by the way, appreciate you all. We've seen the numbers go up in terms of the subscriber so like, subscribe time, tell your friends about the podcast. Even if you know you're not a video viewer, just listen to the audio. But yeah, let's see the spray chart of Justin Fields. And let's also think about Yes, he's throwing to the middle of the field. That's one thing he hadn't done in the past very effectively. He has the third highest completion percentage over expected in the entire NFL this year, so they he's hitting the throws that he's being asked to make. And I think the reason that's so high is because it's a lot of out routes into tight windows where you have to have a really strong arm, and he's hitting those. He scrambled only once last week. That was the lowest scramble rate he's ever had in his career. Their design run game with him has not been effective, but I actually think it's impressive that he's playing so well without really his run game adding that much to the mix. He is winning from the pocket, and yeah, if you're watching, you can you can see the charge. It's a lot of short passes, it's a lot over the middle, but it's because that's what the defense was going to do. They decided not to really rush him to protect him against scrambling, and he made them pay in a tough matchup against the Chargers.
Speaker 2: And then one other thing in Week two.
Speaker 1: He struggled against the blitz throughout his career, and they blitzed the hell out of him, the Broncos did, and he was really good standing up to him. So it's stacking all these little small improvements you can tell he worked on in his own game, and the coaching staff deserves some credit too, and it's adding up to a really effective version of justin fields. I think he's a top ten quarterback so far this season.
Speaker 4: What you said about the designed run game with him is not necessarily effective. But then you know, talking about how the defense played him and so they changed their game plan, show at least showing that designed run attack or the threat of it is why the defense is changing to play that, to play him like that, and then him showing this extra element, Oh, we do have another count. It is an adjustment. It is us showing on tape what you're afraid of us doing, you as a defense trying to counter and stop it, and then us pulling out another card. That's not something this offense has been able to do before in a free years.
Speaker 1: Which is why, like Mike Tomlin did the thing Tuesday again where he's like, yeah, Justin Field is planning to start again because Russell Wilson's not healthy.
Speaker 2: I'll make that decision when I mean.
Speaker 3: That's one of my dislikes.
Speaker 5: Okay, anyone still talking about a quarterback switch in Pittsburgh?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's fair, that's fair. Should we squeeze in any more likes before we get to the disclay?
Speaker 4: I have one like because I yelled about them. I think for fair reasons because they were playing atrocially on offense. But the Carolina Panthers, there's a lot to criticize them for the first two weeks of the season. I'm going to give them some well earned love here. I mostly like the Panthers offensive line. Ikwanu is still strugglings. He's sort of the weak spot here. Eleven pressures allowed. That's obviously not great the left tackle, but the rest of the four offive linemen have allowed only sixteen combined pressures through these three games, and the interior of Austin Corbett, Robert Hunt, and Damien Lewis have only allowed seven pressures the entire season so far. And this is great for the Dalton the Andy Dalton renaissance here the red haired guys in the league are apparently.
Speaker 3: You know, you know how I love Dalton and Darnold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's really great for him in terms of it's still the same. It would still be the same issue that they talked about of wanting to really shore up the interior against interior pressure. That's the same thing with Andy Dalton still needs that tool. And you know, this offensive line I think deserves some kudos and some love.
Speaker 6: I like them so far.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Dalton sons doesn't really roll off the tongue.
Speaker 1: I know, the way the glow up that he's had just its looks later in his career and now he could match it with his on field play. Panthers Bengals. I know it's one and two versus zero to three. That's on my screen. That is one of my toph week. That's this week, No Dalton. So exciting Dalton to bury the Bengal season at zero to four.
Speaker 2: That's pretty de listic.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: I do too.
Speaker 1: And yeah, they're run I'm checking out their running game. It's been fine, Like, okay, it hasn't been great.
Speaker 6: But the protection is there.
Speaker 2: Last week it was fine. And so he's.
Speaker 4: Throwing the ball of crap load still and product producing the way that we thought other quarterbacks were going to produce. Right this season and quarterback play is down and Andy Dalton's riding in on a on a horse and saying.
Speaker 3: I will see it.
Speaker 6: I'll save the passing game. And like his protection is there, it's great.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So you talked about anyone still talking about a quarterback change in Pittsburgh. That was a dislike, we'll we'll switch. I'll just do a quick one first. AFC South has been bumming me out. Remember how I talked it up as like, oh, this is going to be the season the AFC South, But they are two and eight.
Speaker 6: I remember you saying that two.
Speaker 2: And eight outside the division.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what is going on with the Jags like.
Speaker 1: All the like, And it was going to be exciting because the quarterbacks were going to be exciting. Trevor Lawrence is not happening, Will Levis. It's kind of a.
Speaker 4: Way.
Speaker 2: Even C. J.
Speaker 1: Stroud I think has been uneven. I think he's played well, but their passing game has been uneven. Their success rate is very low actually as a passing attack, like they've had some big plays, but on a down to down basis, they haven't been great. Not that I'm talking about the Texans when I'm talking about the struggles here and then the Browns, I mean, I mean not the Browns, what the Colts and Anthony Richardson just rougher than I could have imagined from a passing game perspective.
Speaker 5: On it down to that, the Colts really thought this was good.
Speaker 3: They won the Colts.
Speaker 2: They won last week. They won last week.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry that was a big week.
Speaker 1: Like it's it's a long season, I would say for Colts especially here. I mean, Jags and Titans are in a hole. But Colts, you just got to scratch out some wins and maybe it'll round into shape by November. If you're just like three and four after seven weeks or something, they could be fine.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: As I said in July and August and now September, I really wanted to see not only Trevor Lawrence take a step forward, but the coaching staff take a step forward.
Speaker 6: That was really embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Uh this this last game that they played, and it just was disheveled.
Speaker 6: It looked like not cohesive at any point.
Speaker 4: And one of my dislikes, because I don't I don't relish talking about this, but one of my dislikes is that this is the time of year, from basically now onward where you start to sort of, you know, do the thing where you're walking down the hall and you see someone who you know you want to avoid like having a hard conversation with, and you sort of don't make eye contact.
Speaker 6: And this is like starting to be lame duck.
Speaker 3: Have you fired?
Speaker 4: This is all my Katan upon its actually, this is all my This is all my settlers of Katan opponents actually.
Speaker 3: Like I avoid them. I avoid them. Jordan is ruthless.
Speaker 2: I hear you. It is a little early for that.
Speaker 1: But but now onward is we're about to talk about the Cowboys. Doug Peterson I spoke about on the Monday Night recap, how there was an edict before the season they have to win and everyone in the building knows the score, and that's and you have stuff.
Speaker 6: And you know what though too.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I cover a lot of coaching cycle stuff, and this is the time of year where you know, the agents start to gather all the materials and start figuring out who would partner with each other and what jobs might be coming open. So like it or not, it happening this early. Those conversations about several several places that are sort of either teetering or you get sort of an ominous sense that things are just continuing to go south. They're you know, you're you're thinking about the possibility of who is going to be placed in their.
Speaker 1: Next Jaguars are Yeah, that's one where people are definitely looking thinking, I chers guy, I can They're looking at Trevor Lawrence and saying I can fix them, I.
Speaker 3: Can fix them.
Speaker 5: That is I just wonder if they're going to switch play callers at some point. I know Press Taylor was calling plays last year, he's calling plays this year.
Speaker 3: But point Peterson.
Speaker 1: Won't admit it. We could see his lips moving, Doug. They have cameras, give me.
Speaker 4: It's like the Geico commercial. We could see you, Carl.
Speaker 2: I have so many more dislikes, but why don't you do it?
Speaker 5: Dislike, Okay, wow, Braxton Burios in Miami getting pants. Oh, that's it.
Speaker 3: I was like, where is she going with it? It was.
Speaker 5: I just first of all, as because we talked about it as soon as we walked into the studio.
Speaker 2: How because put on his Instagram.
Speaker 4: Did Colleen Colleen walked or no, you walked into this? You've basically showed us what it was the photo And I mean we've all.
Speaker 1: Seen the photo, but Damna check had it on Instagram. I know I was, and then there was no and I was, how does this not?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: How does this happen? And Greg was like pretty easy. I'm like, well then why doesn't it happen more? How did this go so wrong?
Speaker 3: For him?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: I hate it.
Speaker 5: It wasn't seen on the broadcast, which is great for him, but that's just very embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I can't remember who it was, but there was a player on the forty nine ers who I remember had his pants pulled down years and years ago on the broadcast.
Speaker 2: No, no, yeah you saw.
Speaker 4: This section should not be called dislikes. It should be called things were not over the moon about.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Sorry, thanks dad.
Speaker 1: I did find a YouTube to a minute five second long highlight reel of NFL's players pants falling.
Speaker 6: Oh on your work computer.
Speaker 2: This is not I don't. I dis like all of I dislike it. I dislike it.
Speaker 4: I dislike all the injuries that we're seeing. Yeah, there's a lot of really fun, interesting players. Injuries happen every year, it just seems like they're compounding so early in the season, and you know, certainly there will be discussions about the preseason and player safety, and especially as the seasons get longer than ever and more players are putting more workloads on their bodies, and also as the physicality, which we've talked about out of this game increases towards the run game versus a heavier passing game, you're going to have a heavier toll taken on your body over time. This is obviously like marginally marginal things over time. But if you're really talking about this, I fear that this is going to continue to be an issue.
Speaker 6: Really really interesting.
Speaker 1: Any proof that there's more injured players because we go through this every year. I feel this and we're just like, there's so many injuries.
Speaker 4: It really happened as the stars do happen every year. It just seems like every week though, we're seeing like a headliner name.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like five, Like so many teams get devastated. But it's not a sport that should be played by anyone expecting to have like short term or long term health. It's brutal, correct, right, I mean it's getting but it's getting more. Old fact of the sport, the off.
Speaker 4: Season is getting less brutal in terms of you know, what they are, the toll that they're taking on their in terms of like what their the CBA says that they can and can't do and practice those types of things. That's getting less the game itself. I posit that it's getting a little bit more because of the arc of the philosophical shift that we're seeing, and over time, you're going to see that brutality. You're going to have to adjust everyone because of the arc of the league right now, everybody eventually will have to adjust, including the sports science departments and the the NFL training staffs.
Speaker 2: Well, and they can start wearing the different helmets.
Speaker 1: The Guardian, I'm kind of I'm surprised that didn't become a bigger talking point after the tu A thing, that we have this technology that literally everyone could do and there's no reason that everyone's not wearing them except we don't think it looks cool. So we are kind of saying what we care about, Yeah, we don't care that much like it. And it's not going to say it's going to be one hundred percent prevention for concussions, and that's only one type of injury, but so far it has had one hundred par It takes.
Speaker 5: A while for this like players to adapt to any type of change, and when you're playing at this high of a level and you have something at like that's a signific choice out.
Speaker 1: Of there, and just like the NFL could do it, they could just make they could if it was like it's going to take either a rash of concussions or something else drastically happening, and then it'll slowly happen I shout out to the players that are doing it already, like it is kind of cool to see the players that have taken that initiative. There aren't that many. There's a couple on the Colts I noticed, but there aren't that many. Why Why don't you give me a dislike Colleen Sad?
Speaker 3: Travis Sad? Travis Kelcey, I don't love seeing it.
Speaker 5: I he's not been involved in any of these games as as much as he was last year, and all of the shots of him just looking forlorn on the bench are just crushing me.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't love it at all.
Speaker 4: If only that guy could get a W somewhere, you know, somewhere in life, if only the universe thro the league is.
Speaker 3: Better and more ointaining. When Travis Kelcey is happy, I think you're right, it'll take.
Speaker 1: It'll happen eventually. Right, he really is drying lots of coverage. I don't that's not totally made up. There was this play where I saw Rashie Rice bust wide open basically because the two underneath defenders go towards Travis Kelcey. It's like, you don't need to send those two defenders at Travis Kelcey. Right now, I'd send a second one with Rashid Rice, who's running right past you for about sixty yards. That is said, all right, I've got some sad ones. I've got a bunch still unfortunately, okay, all right, the Drake No, no, I'm not happy about, like laughing about the direction that Caleb Williams and Drake May's seasons are going, in particular, just in contrast to Jayden Daniels. Now, Drake May hasn't played, but the situation that's there for him to enter in New England is not good. They are dead last in pass rush win rate so far. So like it's not working with Jacoby Brissette. They have no wide receivers who get open. I'm not really confident in the scheme to get them open, and the pass protection isn't good. So when he does play, and he should play eventually, I'm just worried about how I'm not confident that they're going to come up with good solutions. And then Caleb Williams a step in the right direction. He had way more. Caleb b plays against the Colts but still bears thirtieth fifty two times. Oh right, a lot of that was a lot of it was coming back when it was effective late in the game when they were down two scores, Like he was at a fairly I mean he was at like thirty late third and then like it was working kind of in the fourth quarter. It was the best stretch he had of his career. But yeah, pass rush winn't rate there thirtieth. Not sure if they're going to be able to scheme their way out of it. Keenan Allen's not healthy, might not be the full Keenan Allen. It's just a little bit of a bummer.
Speaker 6: There's some heat there too.
Speaker 4: A couple of sort of social media posts whatever that popped in terms of the linemen in the locker room talking about their bewilderment at the speed option call late in the game. I mean this it's starting early there, frankly is what is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And the tackles are playing pretty well, but it's three interior, Yeah, interior guys, the forty nine ers. You mentioned the injuries so Hardgrave, that's part of the injury situation to me. He has a torn triceps. He's missing the season. That was an injury that didn't exist in the sixties and seventies and eighties, and you can surmise different reasons why different muscle groups are happening to burst now or not. But every you know, in terms of how you're training, and lots of things could be affecting that. But like there are more of those types of injuries. He's out for the season, and so the forty nine Ers defense is on my list of things. I just like, I'm gonna give you some numbers. Twenty fourth in defensive EPA, thirtieth in net yards per attempt allowed to passers, thirtieth yards per play allowed, twenty first in DVOA. In general, they're just bad and I'm thinking, like why, And I think if they're thin, like there's bigger weak spots. Leonard Floyd is not playing well for them, and he's playing a lot uh play, Yeah, and that's probably why he's not playing well. I ter gross spot before, like there's no rotation. Now you take away to von Hargrave. They're thin. They have just problem spots. Isaac Yadam just picked Don by Matthew Stafford in that game. That's a really weak spot. Devandre Campbell who's playing at linebacker. They really missed Drake Greenlaw and then their coordinator Nick Sorenson. It just might be one of those things kind of that Belichick went through. We talked about the disease of more in terms of what happens to teams when you have a lot of success.
Speaker 2: This isn't the disease and more, but I think it happens.
Speaker 1: To winning teams that like they're now on what Kyle's on his sixth defensive coordinator he's ever hired. I mean, he nailed it with those first three or four, but then they fired Steve Wilks last year, and maybe it's a little bit of a brain drain situation and a talent drain.
Speaker 6: There was a report that.
Speaker 4: Came out last week too that Kyle Shanahan tried to hire Jeff Ulbrick. Oh my gosh, the New York Jets. Yeah, Mikelber that reported this at the San Francisco Chronicle and it was Jets defense. To me, yeah, the Jets defensive corner. To me, that was like pretty telling again that he's thinking there is some brain drain. I know he lost his I'm not going to say this right continuitous guys, the ones who were there for a while who he developed in house, who stuck around for a while, he lost him, their head coaches.
Speaker 2: And they happen to be like some of the best defense lines in right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and can't find the people necessarily who too right or wrong to his own specifications are doing the things that those guys did.
Speaker 5: Also, did you see by the way that Christian McCaffrey is going to Germany for his Achilles toll this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's never a good sign either. Another thing that wasn't happening in the seventies and eighties. But their offense has been fine.
Speaker 1: Brock Perty bawled out in that game that was one of the actually I think the best games of rock Perty's career. Weirdly, and they lost. I'm actually not worried about their offense. Their offense, by the numbers, in by the eye test has been fine. Yeah, the floors cooked him up a little bit, but their offense is good. The last one I did want to get in Deshaun Watson. How brutal is watching Deshaun Watson play football right now? And then my dislike is actually the media coverage of Deshaun Watson. I actually think people are so uncomfortable talking about Deshaun Watson because of who he is as a person, and also because of their relationships at the highest levels of our industry with his agent, David Mullagetta, who was very powerful, and I think they're at that relationship that he has with the media. I said it a lot that I think that trade would not have happened if there was more pushback from the media because of that that not only is that turning out to be like the worst trade in NFL history, but weirdly, he's not getting a ton of heat.
Speaker 2: For being the absolute like dog of a player that he is.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's lost, he's holding on to the ball, he's not accurate, he's not athletic. Imagine, like I'm trying to think of a good comp like someone that Young in his career was a top ten quarterback and then for a pretty long stretch of time last year when he played, you know, the year before, certainly these three games, was not just like not what he used to be, but literally one of the worst quarterbacks in the league by any metric. Like last he's second to last or third to last at everything. It's just a question of Bryce Young's behind him and everything. Skyler Thompson is now behind him in some things, like and that's Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 2: And yet there's like, weirdly, not a lot of like, hey, why are we benching this guy? Aren't we trying to win football games?
Speaker 1: And I think it's because people are uncomfortable, and I think it's because of the agent.
Speaker 3: But I think he's getting baken out by a sniper.
Speaker 1: It's like if Trevor Lawrence was playing this bad like and that's not even a great comp Like I'm saying this bad like worst quarterback in the league, wouldn't that be leading all the shows?
Speaker 2: I mean, forget Dak Prescott. Imagine if Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: Played this bad for a month, much less for three seasons, like, people would go in insane.
Speaker 4: I know it's Cleveland, but market to be fair, but I will I will say like or.
Speaker 1: Daniel Jones, that's a better example. Daniel Jones has never been close to the Heights. And again it's a different market, but no market. Deshaun Watson's a big superstar. We're not talking about this superstar who is sinking this franchise because of the way he's playing.
Speaker 3: There's no upside.
Speaker 4: I think there's a part of the nuance here is that there's it seems to be a sense of helplessness, helplessness from the organization itself who made this decision because of the contract. So it's like, you know what the solution is, right and you know there is no sort of uh, you can't move in this. It's suffocating you. You know, it's just it is one of the craziest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: They have the ability to make a change, though, like I think they're going.
Speaker 1: I think they're going to if he plays like this another couple of weeks. I think it's like you think it takes two more weeks. I get why they came into this season like, well, let's try it again, but this time he'll stay healthy. And you know you had you had to try it again, maybe because of the contract. But I do think it's getting to the point he's unplayable that you don't think the other players on his team.
Speaker 4: I don't, and I don't think that people who general generally do know what they're looking at in terms of football, like the or they're smart people in that building. What I'm saying is I feel like this is a ownership situation. We've put I feel like I feel like it's the contract it self is holding a lot of people's hands behind their backs in that building.
Speaker 3: Jamis Winston. Let's see, let's go.
Speaker 2: That would be fun.
Speaker 1: I mean, the sneaks aren't really fooling anyone. All right, we alred that was it for the dislikes. I have to get that one, and let's talk about this Giants and Cowboys game. Will do it after the break.
Speaker 3: I like this game.
Speaker 1: We too. We are back on NFL Daily and yes it is time for our tenf preview presented by Prime Video.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Jordan had the temerity to ask me, as we're going to break, do you really like this Cowboys Giants game? Well, first of all, I'd be dying for this game, and you know, the desert of May. But second of all, how dare you imply that I would ever be anything but one hundred percent genuine with the audience?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 6: How dare I? And how dare I suggest that I.
Speaker 1: Really am excated for this game because I think losing teams have bigger steaks early in the season, so there's actually a reason to it. When they enter the fourth quarter. In the Commanders Bengals game, I thought like, ooh, this is a big moment in this season. It's a real deal Super Bowl contender. We thought that's about to go to zero to three. So there's more stakes than if you're just two and one and it's like another game. And for the Cowboys, this is a big spot.
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy, this is a big spot.
Speaker 1: Yes, So Mike McCarthy has been taking some heat and he is starting to sound like he feels the pressure.
Speaker 2: His players just uniformly.
Speaker 1: Jordan Lewis, Michael Parsons, DeMarcus Lawrence, Dak Prescott all said separately that we need to do a better job with the details, with the preparation, as if they were sending a message to I don't know if it was other players or it was the coaches or what, but let's listen to Mike McCarthy asked about it on Monday.
Speaker 10: Big Harris Bowarsar Tellingery Monday, you said, you guys don't have a ton of time for corrections this week. But with Jordan Lewis talking about details, Michael Parsons last night talking about accountability, how do you kind of work those conversations And.
Speaker 7: It's pretty dramatic there, Nick I tell you must practice that one. I mean, well, hey, Thursday schedule. I mean, that's what we're on. I mean, it's, uh, we didn't win the game, so it's I think that's that's that's part of where we are. I mean, so yeah, I think they do a good job of, you know, answering your questions. It's emotional after the game, so I'm not I'm not ever going to referee motion on the field or after a game.
Speaker 3: That's some sass there from Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 4: I thought that question was the appropriate amount of dramatic considering how this is going.
Speaker 2: It wasn't dramatic at all.
Speaker 1: That was said Nick Harris for asking a good question, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he accused him of practicing the question ahead of I'm as well.
Speaker 1: That gave me, Oh, you're feeling some heat vibes, because that's just like a coach lashing out.
Speaker 2: It's like someone taking it out on like a preparation.
Speaker 4: What about being prepared to answer that question if your players were publicly talking about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard some speculation on.
Speaker 1: A Cowboys podcast just like you know, maybe that came right after a meeting with Jerry you know, what I mean, he's just in like a bad mood.
Speaker 6: You could see that.
Speaker 2: Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 4: Well, also, by the way, it's genuinely like a good dude, seems like. But it just also is like, man, when you when coaches feel the heat like that, the lame duck conversation, you know that type of thing. Yeah, that's when oh man, people get real tight.
Speaker 3: You can tell that wasn't about the actual question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that wasn't about the question or the person. That was about him and only him.
Speaker 2: Although maybe he would know that.
Speaker 1: He's taking it as a shot of like we're not that prepped and he's in a lame duck year that you mentioned I mentioned earlier. Like to me, they all right, not like a very game plan specific type of team. They kind of run what they run, and I didn't think they attacked some of the weaknesses of the Ravens that well Mike Zimmers had going into the game. It was a prove it game, approve it game to against the Ring. Wow, what they prove That's what I'm saying, Like, especially the lineback.
Speaker 3: They need help with their run defense.
Speaker 1: In safety level. I know the Giants aren't like a great running team, but I think they're a little more specific and intentional in what they do Brian Dable on offense, and they've had some positive things, and I think their offensive line is solid. I think this is the best offensive line the Giants have had in like a decade. It's like a reasonable offensive line. That's a good place to start.
Speaker 5: Devin Singletary has a juicy matchup, I think in this game because the Cowboys defense, as we're talking about them right now, they've allowed one hundred and ninety and two hundred and seventy four rushing yards the past two weeks, so more than twenty two hundred and twenty of those yards have come before contact. They've missed thirty two tackles this season, and on those plays, they've allowed two hundred and forty one yards, which is third most. DeMarcus Lawrence has missed nine alone. Singletary, he's done a really good job making guys miss force nineteen miss tackles through three weeks, which is third most in the entire league. But I think that because Dallas can't stop the run. They've had no pass rush either the past at least the past two games, so teams they just haven't been in long passing situations on those critical third downs. So opposing quarterbacks have had a ton of time to just like picnic if they wanted to, and we saw it with Lamar Jackson and what he was able to do. Plus the Cowboys offense was completely asleep for the first three quarters of that game, finally woke up in the fourth or I guess you could see it as the Ravens weren't able to close out a game once again in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: I think this is an opportunity to for Brian Dable and the Giants to start doing a little bit more of what has been somewhat effective, especially more recently, which is getting designed runs in for Daniel Jones. Next Gen says he's recorded the fifth most designed quarterback rushes this season, resulting in the fourth most such yards. And so if you can add that type of layer, that threat, like we talked about earlier, that threat of that type of run against a defensive front that's already poorous last in the league in yards per game rushing defense, if you can add that and then also just have a straightforward running back attack as well, that gives them all kinds of nightmares to think about when they're already struggling that much to defend the run.
Speaker 1: Right, let's give some love to the giants. Two weeks ago, were saying, is this going to be Daniel Jones's last game?
Speaker 2: That was me my bet.
Speaker 1: Two positive games, two positive games in earw you're playing the Browns defense. Last week he got away with a couple. Daniel Jones he plays, so there was some fortune there.
Speaker 5: I mean the way that they open that game, they completely put up the beginning of that game.
Speaker 1: Colleen, this is a program. This is the best I want my child, So listen now I'm kidding. You're right they started that game that way. But then you think about what Daniel Jones And yeah, he had an interception that was called back, but he started eighteen for twenty in a game against the Cleveland Browns. That's good coaching. I think he's played better in terms of his decisions. And then they have a real football guy in Malik Name.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, he's a miracle.
Speaker 2: You know what, Like the great catches are one thing.
Speaker 1: I really got into the fourth down, like now you can give him the ball on fourth down as a runner in a key spot. And then he had a pass breakup where Jones was gonna one of those Daniel Jones plays where it was going to be intercepted and Neighbors comes flying in and knocks it down.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, that's a football guy.
Speaker 6: Oh here's what I think.
Speaker 4: So you're you're seeing like all of this potential here. They're trying different things with the quarterback in the run game. They're trying a couple you can, you can't, you can hand it off to Malik Neighbors, And what they're doing almost seems to hint to me like they're sneakily sort of setting up different types of mister plays, sweeps and end arounds, things like that, especially against the front that has just gassed on the other side, and he and lak Naghbors has been sent in motion on thirty one snaps, which is the highest of any anyone else on his team, and a lot of it's at snap motion, which to me talks about the potential down the road of taking these handoffs and again adding like three layers into your run game, three dimensions into your run game, that there is no way this Cowboys defense is prepared for.
Speaker 6: If they keep playing the way that.
Speaker 1: They have, giants are going to win this game, right, Like, I don't know if I'm going that far. They're four and a half point underdogs.
Speaker 3: Which to me is way too big, and so I'm taking the Giants.
Speaker 2: I think I'm taking the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: It's a really important game for them, and I think the Giants are better, and so I'm threading the needle. I feel better about the Giants picking both. No, yeah, that's what I mean. I feel better about the Giants plus four and a half than I do.
Speaker 2: Either team win the game.
Speaker 1: But I ultimately I am gonna trust in talent, but I think game plan wise, I trust Stable to do more to help his players win. Then then McCarthy coming up with some schemes, it's like where are there other guys, Like, let's get a little more for I literally wrote this down and thought, this is not a good sign.
Speaker 2: We need more Turpin, we need more lip Key.
Speaker 1: That's their god, that's their like fourth string receiver who's more of a gadget guy but is so explosive. And then Hunter Lipkey, who's their fullback but is actually kind of awesome. But the Giants secondary is is Cheeks.
Speaker 2: It's rough.
Speaker 4: So if like if you get see we got quite a theme on this showday.
Speaker 1: It's rough like they wanted Deontay Banks to be a top cornwreck.
Speaker 2: He's just not.
Speaker 1: Dorri Jackson is hurt court like there are there are there should be guys open for the Cowboy.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have to throw it because they can't. They're not running it well either.
Speaker 1: No, they're not built for twenty twenty four. I've been thinking about who are the teams not built for this new run based world we're in. Yeah, the Dallas Cowboys might be your number one team on the list because they can't run the ball and they can't stop the run.
Speaker 3: They have no big plays they I mean, they can't score touchdowns. It's a real problem, man.
Speaker 1: It would be something Giants fans out there, I can't remember the last time I rooted for you, but I'm rooting for you in this game. Just same, the chaos of it all. But I've taken the Cowboys to win by three. Yeah, n you want to pick.
Speaker 4: I'm I was waiting for you to introduce the my probably losing pick because I am terrible at picking. Listeners have not figured everyone is I am horrific at picking, but I am picking the Giants in this one. Sorry Giants fans if that means that your team loses, because I'm terrible at picking, but I am picking it. I just think the Giants just can do more things to antagonize this Cowboys defense. I think that that is very This matchup is glaringly obvious for those reasons. And Brian Dable is also kind of coaching with his back against the wall in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: Yep, they hate their pass rush played awesome last week, Dexter Lawrence one of the very best and league Brian Burns coming a long against a Cowboys line that has been playing great like even Zach Martin Pac Martin's first bout Hall of Famer, but he is not at that high level.
Speaker 2: You just you just see the the erosion Cowboys. Let's let's enjoy it.
Speaker 1: On Thursday night, I'll be with Danny Hifitz, who's a Giants fan from the Ringer.
Speaker 6: I really like, Oh, you're buckling in for a Giants game with Danny.
Speaker 1: And the Dantasy uh Fantasy Hour over at the Ringer. That's what I'm calling it, all right. That was this week's tenf preview, presented by Prime Video. Be sure to watch the Dallas Cowboys take on the New York Giants this Thursday on Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Let's uh say goodbye to you. What a great show. Enjoyed having you guys in the Chris Wesley Podcast Studio. Love you guys and love our preview show.
Speaker 1: We will have like Deve, we not dislike. Yeah, like if we like this show, we like each other. Also like weish. Clay Bond will be with me and we'll do the preview h for Thursday.
Speaker 2: I'll see you then. Until then, football is back.