Speaker 1: Episode three ninety three.
Speaker 2: Today we recap what's happening down on the farm and we have a special interview with Pirates pitching prospect Connor Wickriff. You're listening to the Bucco Banter Podcast, brought to you by the Just Baseball Media Network.
Speaker 1: Cue the music.
Speaker 3: I feel one on one. You see a couple of them in my taste with me and my limit ege because I let the wait taste best seats at the Pirates and he let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why see is a lawyers my date to my dates? Or to stick by the plate? Sydy Kate keep the case from my race at my pace cleared Grant That is Snake.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to another episode of Bucko Banner. Today. Like Scott mentioned, we're gonna be recapping what's happening down on the farm. Scott, the Parks has had a huge win. We're feeling pretty good on the Wolf game. Uh, we're riding high right now. We're gonna talk about some fun prospects today. They're gonna help us in a few years or down the line.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 4: I say, Uh, what's the bullpen arms in Indianapolis. But there's lots to talk about today, Scott.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you're getting me post war game. I'm the vibes couldn't be any higher. We're two and zero Wolf games. We'll get into that probably midweek, but today is dedicated to the minor leagues, to down the farm. What's happening down there. And there's some things that are brewing, right, some promotions, some news.
Speaker 1: To discuss, to discuss. Let's let's start off with what happened in the beginning of the week.
Speaker 2: I'll field Carlos outfielder Carlos to hera a guy that we've talked about quite a bit, a guy that kind of blossomed in the DSL at the beginning of the summer, enters the MLB pipelines pirates Top thirty prospect lists as Maryland Valdez graduates. This is a guy that we're really high on, A guy that I think could be another is Maryland Valdez.
Speaker 1: Let's just say it with more speed, right.
Speaker 2: I think he's a guy that is, you know what, one of your not one of your multimillion dollar signings, but like someone that could emerge quickly and another positive note down in an international scouting market here, Jay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've done so well with these international prospects in the last couple of years, so I think that this is just another example of that you said. He mentioned. You mentioned already that he raked this year the complex and the DSL, I mean between both levels, twenty seven games, three homers, scot ten stolen bases. He walked exactly as much as he struck out and put up a four to eleven on base between both levels one nineteen WRC plus. This is a toolsy player they're going to be wanting to look out for in the coming years, and somebody that you should definitely keep keep on your radar.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And then to Tuesday, we went into Chris Devenskin, Michael Darryl Hicks and to the FCL for rehabbits. I mean, they're working her way back up the Triple A. Maybe one of those guys can help at the big league level at some point or provide depth because they definitely need it. And then Thursday, Ryan Butcher Dylan mathieson a name that I've been wondering, where is he at? A draft pick from last year out of Liberty. I think thirteenth or fourteenth round. Him and Xander Meath were sent to the to the FCL for rehab appearances.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that a little bit later.
Speaker 2: The last day the FCL was actually this Thursday because the Pirates did not move on and then Friday. Ashton Kennedy, the Australian signee and the international signing market this year, will be activated off the restricted list at the end of this week and as signed to the DSL. This is the guy that's gonna get an opportunity to hit end pitch while beginning his pro career. A very exciting prospect. We've talked about Robinson Smith, We've talked about Brandon Badoad. This team has done really well in the Pacific RIM and this is just another name there. Let's go Tuesday, which is to which is the beginning of this week. Brandon Nick a guy that was a Rule five pick this past year from the Dodgers. Jay correct, Yeah, Lefty, He's done really well out of the bullpen. Promoted to Triple A Indy another interesting bullpen arm to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: Jay. Why don't you tell us what's happening in Indianapolis this week? Any highlights here?
Speaker 4: Got a lot of fun stuff going on. I mean, we're catching Justin ce Garcia kind of in the middle of it here right here. Uh, he had double in a homer. It looks like this week duce Gorson four for twenty three in his first or is his first or second weekend triple a for him?
Speaker 1: That can probably gotcha first and a half. Yeah, something like yeah.
Speaker 4: Jack Brady get three for fourteen and Tamar John said three for twenty Scott Also Connor Wickgriff threw a pretty nice outing on Tuesday, five point two innings, pitched five hits, zero earned runs, one walk, four strikeouts. This is a guy that you're gonna hear from later in this episode that you and I could not be more fired enough to talk about, because he's somebody that's just dominated every single level this year. And it's not crazy stuff, but it just works every single time he goes out there on the mound. Clean mechanics, smooth, easy delivery, just somebody that's able to hide the ball pretty well and be kind of just a weird look for lefties and right he's alike, but especially left handers.
Speaker 2: Something I want to talk about with Indianapolis has Mitch jeb like figured out how to do he might have. Yeah, put impact to ball like it's incredible. He's got four hum runs in Triple A and he just got back this week and has hit two already, which has been really impressive to see.
Speaker 1: He's hitting four twenty four in Triple A. Unbelievable. Some bad news Christian Curtis at the IL.
Speaker 2: I don't know the reasoning exactly at this juncture, but yeah, they haven't said just yet, but he was he was placed in the IL. We saw Antoine Kelly pitch some no hit, no run ball on Saturday. Derek berg Is back up to Triple A as Sean Ross made his way to the big leagues.
Speaker 1: Later got DFAD today.
Speaker 2: But other than that, Jay, I think that's that's all that's happening. Oh, jose a Erri Kty, let's talk about Jose Aero Kitty. Jose Aero Kitty was tricked.
Speaker 1: To the White Sox after being dffade.
Speaker 2: We got back an interesting arm from the White Sox, a six to six arm with some projection already up to ninety five on the complex.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like anytime you can get an arm back like that's just projectable and you can see what you have there. I immedily got a text from one of my White Sox guys, Adrian from Just Baseball, who was telling me about how he's a guy that caught his He caught his eye earlier this year as somebody to watch and there's lower levels, a little bit older for the level. I'm pretty sure he was like what twenty one years old down in the complex leagues, but still nonetheless somebody that you can keep an eye on. And again, I feel like that your kid's time here was kind of coming to an end, and that writing has been on the wall since that first series at the end of the season. So just being able to get a prospect back for him period is going to be something that you should be excited about. Not much else to really say there, though, Let's.
Speaker 1: Go to Double A Altoona near and Dear to your heart Jay. They were in Akron, though they weren't at home.
Speaker 2: They were playing the rubber Ducks of Guardians Double A affiliate. I feel like we saw some slug from murfh and Lonnie this weekend, especially Lonnie. Lonnie had three home runs a double six RBIs. Murph hit two home runs as well. But I want to talk to you about Connor Oliver. I bet you didn't expect me to say that.
Speaker 4: I did not. I really didn't.
Speaker 2: What do you see in Connor Oliver? This guy wasn't drafted by the parts. I believe he was drafted by the Raid Royals and we acquired him elsewhere. But he has been very productive, one of the more productive arms in the system this year. Wednesday, six innings, two hits, no earned, three walk, six k's. I know the era is four or five nine, but the results speak for themselves in Greensboro and for the most part now Tuna, since these men moved up, what have you seen from him so far?
Speaker 4: The biggest takeaway on Connor Oliver is that loopy curveball that he has. It doesn't dialod up eigh in the velocity rusty area, but he doesn't really have to. I talked to him a lot one day just about how it seems to be a really tough pitch for lefties. Is se in his double he got so many whips curveball just because he basically throws it from behind these lefties and it ends up finishing over the hard so they either have to swing or just end up taking it for strikes all the time. And I mentioned to him, this curve ball is so good, like how many lefties with it just all the time because I don't know anybody can see that arm slot and all these things. And he's like, like I do, but it's I feel like it's almost more right to swing over, which I found it'd be pretty interesting because this is a pitch that I feel like is almost designed to get out lefties. If he's able to get out some of these right handers as well, that's that's just something else to keep in mind with him, it's gonna be super interesting. But another arm is like very in that Connor Wick Griffy tier of just not guys that don't have crazy stuff, but they're able to blow you away just because the delivery and arm slot and some of the pitch ability is kind of what takes this game to another level. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I was gonna say, could he be another Caleb Ferguson type of arm in the big leagues? Positively, if not a long man, But the results speak for themselves and Easton Carmichael made his double a debut on Friday, went two for four with one k this week two for seven total and Altoona Anything in terms of other arms like Matt Aiger Kyle Robinson was required for Alica Williams from the A's Anything of note there because they've had interesting results so far this season.
Speaker 4: Matt Ager has really impressed me. I mean, the same thing goes for him as a lot of these guys, just kind of a funky delivery, also doesn't dial it up too much with the velocity. He's like a left handed version of the two starting pitchers. I feel like we've keyed in on in this episode, Scott, but somebody to definitely keep an eye on. And I want to bring this up real quick in case you're about to go in the mrth Gray direction, because I feel like we almost have to before we get into Lonnie White. I'm just looking through the data right now as we're talking about this. Looks like he only hasn't gotten on base in one Double A game so far, which is just ridiculous, and he's still slugging. This is somebody that I remember talking to arm about at Just Baseball as well, and he was saying about how like, I don't want to be super pessimistic on Murph Gray, But I feel like I got to see him do it at double A, and I feel like we're seeing him do it a double A, Scott.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's absolutely doing a double A. He continues to slug.
Speaker 2: He's got what twenty five plus homer's already this he's total, Like that's absurd.
Speaker 1: Like the first full.
Speaker 2: Season he's produced or performed at in Major League baseball has been quite impressive for a Mountain West guy at of Fresno State, right, And that's not a program to laugh at by any means.
Speaker 1: But you know, I don't think we expected this.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can expect this from SEC guys necessarily in their first full season. So he continues to produce and continues to slug. What do you see defensively? I think that's gonna be the big question mark for me, because we see the batting average, we see the home runs, we see the offensive outputs as outsiders in Pittsburgh here looking at the farm system, But defensively, is he gonna be able to manage third base at the big league level?
Speaker 4: So admittedly I haven't got my first live looks at Earth Grade just yet. I'll get to see him tomorrow and hopefully be able to give you a better answer of this next time. I'm on down on the farm. But I feel like that this is a guy that, even if his glove isn't super impressive, you can kind of almost hide him at third base, just because that's kind of the nature of corner infield positions, right, and especially if he just is able to hit like he has, you're gonna be able to find a place for him defensively, regardless of how strong the glove is, even if it's maybe more average or slightly below average in the long run.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: For sure, let's go to Greensborough. They are playing the Winston Salem Dash the High a affiliate of the White Sox. As always just some slug. There's some offense here in North Carolina. But they're in Winston Salem and we have Sammy Sefira continuing to slug. He's got seventeen home runs on the year this year. Jay, Like, that's not something that we scripted, right.
Speaker 4: He missed like a good bit of time there.
Speaker 1: He missed a good bit of time.
Speaker 2: I feel like he was rehabbing for most of the first two months. Jack Anchor had a really good outing on Tuesday, five innings, three hits, one earned, two walk, six k's. You had some Seth Hernandoz on Friday before he bad news went on the IL with obleique entry prayer circle for Seth Hernandez. Obleaque better than arms, shoulder, elbow, right, But you've got to be.
Speaker 1: Impressed with his first full season as a pro. If that is the end of it.
Speaker 2: Three innings, one hit, no earned, no walks, five k's. On Friday, Tony Bloco Junior returned as well from the IL.
Speaker 1: Had a mammoth and a shot.
Speaker 2: A friend of mine, who is a hitting coach for the Winston Sale La Dash, texted me it was just like Tony Blanco just hit the furthest ball I've ever seen. That was his thirteenth home run as a grasshopper. And then Johnny Severino is a guy I think we need to highlight fangrafts to have. Yeah, absolutely, all.
Speaker 1: Right, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: We'll spend some time on Johnny Severino because this is a guy that we acquired for Carlos Santana to trade deadline two years ago. Was a lottery pick, a great trade, probably one of Ben's best. He has twenty four home runs in Greensboro this year. Is that a product product of Greensboro or is that a product.
Speaker 1: Of him making an adjustment or is it a little bit of both.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's the question. Yeah, I feel like it can absolutely be both. I don't mean to cut you off right there, by the way, but it seems like he's never hit more than sixteen home runs in a season in his minor league career, So this is something that you're definitely seeing a lot more power from. And I mean, you bring up a good point with that being potentially an effective greens Row just because that ballpark in that league as a whole is so hit or friendly that you almost want to be scared of that. And I alo just want to say this too. I feel like that Separino is one of those guys that could just be like one small adjustment away from really breaking out and taking his game to another level. Because this is somebody that just doesn't walk very much. There's a lot of power in this profile, but only walks five point nine percent of the time. The on base right now is only at three ZHO three Scott, which I mean has ended up making the WRC plus just above league average. But if he's able to hit for power and maybe find his way on a little bit more often just via free basis, this is something that you could be looking at as a potential top prospect of the system going into next season or even at this point next year.
Speaker 1: I know they started to deploy him in the outfit a little bit.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's a route that he could take to expedite his his path the big leagues, right because you know, there's there's ample amount of shortstops in this in the system right now, or middle infielders, or or just infielders in general. Because I think this is a guy that was eventually going to grow off a short stop anyway and maybe be at third basement. But I think he's got the positional flexibility is going to be huge for him. And I would like to see that power output translate to oultuna for me to really buy in. But twenty four home runs, nonetheless, is nothing to sneeze at. Let's go to Bradenton. They were home or they were home against the Danean Blue Jays. Blue Jays low a affiliate. We had a tremendous series from Richard Ramirez, and no, not that Richard Ramirez the Bradenton Marauder.
Speaker 1: Richard Ramirez seven.
Speaker 2: For twenty this week, two doubles, three home runs eight, RBIs hitting two eighty six on the season. Great series from him, you got Breyln Berzobin, Johan delos Santo's up from the complex full time. I feel like Braylon Beersobin is definitely going to have to fix the approach because he's can quite a bit. And that's nothing I'm concerned about, because I think there's some electric upside there in terms of bat speed and power.
Speaker 1: But something to note. And then rain On Navarro continues to stay hot.
Speaker 2: Tuesday, he went two and two third, four hits, three earned, two walk, six k's. I mean, it's just the k's are coming in on one and after another. Sunday in the doubleheader, two and two thirds, three hits, one earned, three walk, six k's, another six k's. This guy just misses bats. He is a feel for missing bats.
Speaker 4: I gotta say, two man, I feel like even though there's still like four walks between those two outings and like what six ish innings, I feel like there's still trending downward just a little bit, which I feel like is all you were kind of asking for at the end of the season from a guy like this who has already impresses plenty with his stuff. I mean, we talk about the fastball so often being this kind of unicorn pitch for him. So if he's just able to keep guys off base a little bit more via free passes, this is somebody like I think has closer upside in the long run. Like I think that he's going to be a pretty strong relief option, but if he's able to stop walking some guys and get some length on his outings, this could be a really nice starter for them too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely. And then let's let's look at a guy like Levi Sterling. Levi Sterling is a guy that I think could be that pitcher to take the next step forward. Five innings, three hits, one earn, three walks, seven k's on Sunday in the first game of the doubleheader, works really well north to south with that fast wap in the zone and that true swell twelve to six curve ball. And then you look at a guy like Erwin Ramirez, an arm out of the international market. He pitched on Saturday. The fastball touches one hundred plus. He has two secondary pitches that generate plus rooughway with rates. I think this is an arm that is going to be on our radars even more next year, right, and a name that we're gonna circle. But four innings, two hits, two earns, two walks, five or four k's on Saturday and a seven to five win raw. But like the stuff is hard to ignore as it is with like a Raino Navarro and some other of these young arms like Carlos Matteo, Right, Jay, any anything else from Bredonton that you want to highlight before we move on to the rookie levels.
Speaker 4: It really feels like if there's just one big takeaway from this level in general and the pitching at this level especially, it's just that the Pirates have so many guys with such electric stuff in this rotation in Bradenton right now. I mean, you just talked about like three separate arms including Navarro and Sterling and some other guys here that just have crazy stuff. They just need to learn how to harness it. And I feel like that's what you're starting to see guys like Levi Sterling start to do. I mean, this season's starting to rack up k's like we haven't seen before and previously from him ninety four and eighty four innings on the season while keeping walks to a relative minimum, which Scott, if you remember, that was like the biggest that was like the biggest problem for him in years past, which is that he couldn't keep guys off base. And if he's able to start to control his pitches, learn to pitch ability a little bit better, he could end up taking that turn like you mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean absolutely absolutely, and I think that the characteristics that they are buying in on in these young arms is fair evident at the lower levels and it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Carlos Mateo is a name that you need.
Speaker 2: To circle too, Like this is a guy that's got elite fastball characteristics, a guy that's got you know, you know, high leveragep side, if not more if the command really figures itself out.
Speaker 1: But he's still young. A lot to dream on.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of these arms at the lower levels that we're going to continue to watch. Jay, Let's get to the Complex because the FCL season is now done. We had the Complex, the Florida Complex League. They finished twenty six and thirty let's take take us through this final week here of the season.
Speaker 4: Jay, Really quickly, you have Hazus Travisio making his first rehab appearance, I saysur Rebay rehab as well on Monday. Later in the week, Xander Meath goes two innings, no hits, one walk on Thursday, or your Rebay goes another inning there with no hits, no walk or sorry, two walks in one strikeout. How does it get up a run? It looks like in his time in on rehab, I should say you got matheson as well, going one inning, no hits, two k's, and at Trevisio again on Thursday, going one point one innings pitched, one hit, zero earned run, two walks, three k's. Scott, I feel like the forres one takeaway down here too, is that this this baseball is electric. I don't know if you saw the videos circling from the FCL Championships down there, those guys were going nuts, like I don't even know if I've seen that. Whatever the curve were good back in like the twenty seventeen and eighteen days, they just were. They were like ready to throw their bodies on the line for some of these these FCL Championships.
Speaker 2: Dude, Yeah, complex level baseball is psycho stuff. You gotta be a real sicko to really get into that. And yeah, I did see the videos. It's awesome. It's love being on the backfields and love seeing that energy there. There's a lot a lot of positive takeaway from this complex level season, even though the record didn't show it. But let's go into the DS because the DSL two teams, DSL pirates Gold, DSL pirates.
Speaker 1: Black as very big positive.
Speaker 2: Probably the biggest positive out of this DSL season is Wilton Guerrero Junior, a recent signing in the international market. This week he went nine for twenty two, two doubles, three RBIs, three walks, two k's four style and basis hit three thirty three.
Speaker 1: So far on the season, he's been tremendous.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I think this is a guy that could take the Johann de Los Santos type of.
Speaker 1: Mold going forward.
Speaker 2: As a guy that has elite at the ball skills and plus speed. Can he generate more power That's to be seen, but he's still really young, right. And then DSL pirates Black, Johandro Santos and Janser Custodio. Young guys who have struggled with some swing and miss early on, especially Santos Custodia start off injured right started like one for twenty five, had a good week last week, but this week was over eight with one walk, three ks Antos again three for twelve, a walk five k's two still on bases. They shows plus speed, but they need to be able to work to enhance those bat the ball skills. Not something I'm worried about this juncture, right Like, I think they show that the raw traits at a very young age, and they've had a season that you can be that you can dream on going forward to probably start next year in the DSL as well and work their way up the complex.
Speaker 1: To get the state side.
Speaker 2: But it's been a fun season in Dominican Center Late Summer League, Jay, he really has been.
Speaker 4: And I feel like people need to remember too, whenever you're evaluating this type of talent down here, you're just looking for little improvements, right son, Even if you guys swing and missing quite a bit, if he's still showing those loud tools over a long period of time and starting to see some of these, you know, maybe he's chasing at breaking balls as much as he did early on in the season, or these little growth These are things that the pirates and especially the players themselves can build on as they go state side, which I think you're going to see from a lot of these talents here. And I want to touch this really quickly before we move on completely. Wilton Guerrero Scott. I feel like whenever he signed, he was somebody that you and I were just texting back and forth about the swing, like we couldn't get over. I feel like we were kind of in love with that swinging, that profile, and the tools that he brings to the table. So it's been nice to see him put together a nice season for down here in the Complexes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got the bloodline right that, yeah, of course should translate, But for sure, it's been great to see him to evolve throughout this DSL season, this DSL summer. Let's get to our players of the week, Jay, before we get onto our interview, I'm going to start us off with the pitcher of the week. I'll let you take care of the hitter of the week. The pitcher of the week for the minor leagues is going to be Levi Sterling. Levi Sterling is a name that I've been talking a lot about a lot recently. A guy that I want to highlight, a guy that I think is going to take that next step forward. Five innings, three hits, one earned, three walk, seven cases week against the Danean Blue Jays, A guy that I think is really going to be on a lot of people's radars.
Speaker 1: Next he's in. Who is our hitter of the.
Speaker 4: Week, It's Lonnie White Junior, man our guy eight for nineteen this week, three runs, a double, three homers, six RBI, three walks, five k's, two stolen bases on the season, Scott, He's one homer shy between both levels of reaching nineteen twelve so far this season in nol Tuona. By the way strikeout rate, I feel like he's starting to come back for him into a more manageable place. We're seeing Lonnie White Junior in a really good spot right now, probably the best spot we've seen him in. And it's nice to see him get hot because after his twenty some game on base streak ended, he started to cool off a little bit, but it started to find himself again here in the last week.
Speaker 1: I love that man.
Speaker 2: Well, this has been a fun recap of the past week down on the farm. Jay, We're gonna kick it off right now with a really fun interview from a guy that we are very high on, Pirates left handed pitcher Connor.
Speaker 6: Wigriff, joining us now on Buco Banter is current pitcher in the Pirates organization, Connor Wickgrift. Connor, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Connor Man, it's a pleasure to have you on. You've had a great season so far, but I want to take a step back. You were the seventh round pick in twenty four out of Minnesota. How did the program in Minnesota prepare you for pro ball?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: At Minnesota, had a great time, learned a lot there. I kind of got to do my own thing at Minnesota, which was kind of led me to Pro ball of like routines and stuff like finding routines from everywhere I've been, so I think that helped the transition to pro ball a lot. Obviously, everyone's here to help you with routines, but you kind of got to make sure you get your routine in because no one's here to tell you, like, hey, get your routine in like it's kind of expectations. So having good routines coming in I think was the biggest thing that I learned from there.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 6: You think you have a little bit of a chip on your shoulder coming out of Minnesota, and not a lot of people talk about the talent that comes out of there. I know, we know a lot of people that are very talented in pro ball from Minnesota, but you feel like it's overlooked a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, uh, being a northern state, Like I remember going to Minnesota, like people telling people I'm from Minnesota that are like, where's that like, so like that kind of fuels it a little bit. So definitely a lot of good talent up there, and yeah, just trying to represent that.
Speaker 2: When you look at yourself now compared to uh, compared to draft day, where do you think you've improved most as a pitcher?
Speaker 5: I would say overall mentality and like game plan going into games, like within scouting reports and practice like all that. So having a game plan going into each outing a lot more in depth than I have in the past, I'd say that's probably the biggest thing.
Speaker 6: What was the biggest jump from college ball to pro ball, it could be in spring training Bradenton, What did you first notice that really stood out?
Speaker 5: I would say the overall frequency, Like just the long season, especially that first full season, Like normally we go from February to maybe June at the latest in college ball, but then June, like when you get to June from February in pro ball, like you're not even halfway. So just kind of managing that and finding the right workloads and all that to be able to perform for the whole season was kind of the biggest thing jumping into.
Speaker 7: Pro ball for sure.
Speaker 2: Going into your second full season here in the Pirates organization, what has been the biggest emphasis or focus on you as a player with the Pirates development staff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, I'd say adding a little bit of v low would be great, But just dialing in command as VLO is not the highest of thing in my bucket, I would say, as kind of everyone knows, but just making sure that command is extra pinpoint and just dialinging that in with all the pitches and being very adjustable week to week.
Speaker 7: I'd say that's a big thing since I've been.
Speaker 5: Here in Triple A Indie, Like the week to week changes that we make like I mentioned, with the game plan and stuff, that's kind of the biggest thing that I've noticed that we're.
Speaker 7: Trying to work on. So it's been great so far.
Speaker 6: I was watching a video of you on YouTube kind of in the lab working on pitch shape and design, and it's fascinating stuff because like after every single picture, you're either looking at a screen or changing the grip and trying to see what works, or picturing the lefty righty batter, especially with your arsenal and the type of picture that you are. How important is that stuff in the off season and then understanding how your pitches play off each other.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's very important. Take a lot of pride in that throughout the off season. Just dialing in things.
Speaker 5: Obviously, command is the number one, proper, number one thing that we got to work on.
Speaker 7: And then once you.
Speaker 5: Dial in that, we can go to the iPad a little bit more. And so I always start with dialing in the command, and then once I feel like the command's in a good spot, then I like.
Speaker 7: To go work in the.
Speaker 5: The actual metrics and try to dial in that the shape is a little better, to fully emphasis the all the pitch shapes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'd say that's the biggest thing.
Speaker 2: And this might be a good segue off of that, and this sort of a similar question, but for a guy that doesn't live in the upper nineties, like you said on the Velo side, how important is sequencing your pitches when you're important the game?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure, it's very important.
Speaker 5: Learning how pitches tunnel off each other has kind of been the biggest thing, definitely since I've been in pro ball. That's another thing I've really worked on, is tunneling pitches and knowing what pitches kind of go together. And it just keeps getting more emphasized every level and keep learning more and more from the catchers, pitching coaches, everyone, So it's been a full team effort and working on that tunneling as specifically as possible.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 6: Is it as simple as something is like looking at a batter in the box and maybe threw a ball, but he jumped a certain way at a pitch, or he saw his hands moving in a certain direction, then.
Speaker 1: Allows you to kind of dive a little bit more to the arsenal.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: That That's literally all it is, is kind of watching how hitters react in game, Like while I'm out there. Obviously, the catcher and I are working very closely together. After every inning, they're coming up to me, all the catchers in this order grade, so they're coming up to me working with me, like based on what they saw, kind of talking to what I saw, and just kind of doing a full team effort.
Speaker 2: It's been good color how much you rely on analytics technology and there's so much out there nowadays in baseball, how much you rely on that versus just natural feel on the mound.
Speaker 7: I'd say it's a mix of both.
Speaker 5: During the middle of the weeks we look into a lot of analytics and all that kind of stuff in bullpens and stuff. But once I'm out there, I'm just trying to compete, get guys out as fast as possible, and like I said, fill up the zone as much as possible with the stuff I got. If they see something drastic on the analytics side while I'm out there, they might say something, but it's got to be pretty drastic right now for them to say something.
Speaker 7: In the middle of the game.
Speaker 4: Normally we just take that to the.
Speaker 7: Middle of the week and work on that in the middle of the week.
Speaker 6: You mentioned the catchers in the organization. Scott and I talked about it constantly. It seems like there's two guys at every level that are just dogs. Who are some of the guys that you worked with and have really stood out to you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure. Derek Berg and I obviously came into the org at.
Speaker 5: The same time and have spent a majority of our time together, so him and I have grown to be very close. Were roommates the whole season before I got called up here, and then the previous year as well, and then he left for All Tune a little.
Speaker 7: Bit early with the previous year, so we.
Speaker 5: Were roommates as long as we could be super close, and he sees my arsenal very well and helps me a lot.
Speaker 7: When I first got here with Rafa.
Speaker 5: Flores here, he was very helpful with the working together in the game.
Speaker 7: No matter what happened.
Speaker 5: In the game, he's out telling me what he saw, what he's seeing in between any innings, how we can do things different. So that was super good when I first got here to learn from him, And obviously he's in the big leagues now, but and now we're working with Sean Ross and Cameron bar said they're both very good as well helping me with that same stuff. So, I mean, all the catchers in the order have been great and working with the pitchers, taking a lot of pride in that part of their game too, So it's been good.
Speaker 2: Along with the catching depth, there's also a lot of pictures in the system, especially recently at the upper levels. You got you, Christian, Curtis, Wilbert, Hoteil, Antelin, Kelly, The list goes on and on talk about how what it's like pitching with all those guys. You guys feed off each other. Is there a friendly competition?
Speaker 1: What's that like? Yeah?
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 7: Specifically Curtis and I were really close.
Speaker 5: He was also one of our other roommates, so him and I have quite a bit of friendly banter that we just shoot off each other, just competing against each other, and we're also all trying to help each other get better.
Speaker 7: So they've been great to me.
Speaker 5: I've been trying to be helpful to them with whatever they have, but they've been definitely helping me a lot just in between outings and kind of the midweek stuff. So it's been good having a lot of depth in the pitching side, for sure.
Speaker 6: You've been able to talk to Christian since he debut in Cleveland.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I actually hung out with him the day after, so it was it was pretty cool.
Speaker 7: He was pretty stoked. I was stoked for him, obviously.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he was.
Speaker 7: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were go ahead.
Speaker 6: I was just gonna say, like, he was the first guy we ever had on the show, like a couple of years ago, and to see like what he's come from and where he's now is crazy.
Speaker 5: It's an incredible story, and yeah, it's it's awesome to see super pumped for him and his family for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just gonna echo that. It was really cool for us to be in attendance to see that too. So Connor, I love to talk about the mental side of the game, especially as a former pitcher myself. How important you're out there on an island in the middle of the field. How important is the mental side of the game. And is there any kind of you know, rituals or superstitions that you have to get your mind back into place if it starts to wonder.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the mental side is very important. We had our mental performance coach here, Andy Bass. He was here a couple of weeks ago and literally talking to him for almost two whole games straight about the mental side and like my routines that I've come from. And when I was growing up, I worked with a mental performance coach back in Minnesota and he helped me since I was like sixteen, and I think that was one of the biggest things that helped me get to where I'm at, is the mental side and like learning all that kind of stuff because the mental side is definitely like a huge part of it.
Speaker 7: And so yeah, that's the biggest.
Speaker 1: Thing, Connor.
Speaker 6: For Pirates fans that don't know you or there, they want to know the type of player that you are. Can you describe what you bring to the table.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm gonna be here.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna fill it up and try to get out as quickly as possible. Like I mentioned, probably not gonna overpower too many people, but I'm gonna.
Speaker 7: Try to fill it up and get guys out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Last question for me, Connor, What's what's one thing PIREDS fans would be surprised to learn about you? Any interesting hobbies or stuff that you like to do off the field.
Speaker 7: I like to spend a lot of time on the lake in the summers, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Minnesota.
Speaker 7: Yeah, not really anymore, but yeah, that's kind of something interesting I like to do back home.
Speaker 5: A lot of lakes back home, So just spending time on the lake with friends, family, that's probably the most interesting thing.
Speaker 1: Love that man.
Speaker 6: Well, hey, we appreciate you jumping on the show. Best of luck the rest of this season and we hope to see you in Pittsburgh soon.
Speaker 7: Awesome, thanks for having me, guys.
Speaker 1: Thanks honnorh Oh rocking.
Speaker 3: One on one. S you see a couple of them in My Taste with Me and my lemon egg because I like the way it tastes. Best seats at the parents. Can't he let me run the base?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: My time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why see is a lawyer take my date to my dates? Or to stick by the plate?
Speaker 2: Synick