Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two Come on in, stay awhile, glad to have you on board eight seven to seven to three, DP show email and Sdpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle at TP show. It was up there with Aaron Rodgers finally getting traded to the Jets, with Lamar Jackson and the Ravens come to terms. And now we have both of those stories to completion, and we'll talk to Mike Floria from Pro Football talking about fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Who got the better of that deal? Is that a good deal for both?
Speaker 2: And Lamar flowers to him, you got a seems like a pretty good deal, one that you're satisfied with the Ravens, it felt like they were going to get a deal done and telling you the information that I heard yesterday from somebody who is a source there, that they were pretty confident they were going to get a deal done. They didn't like the fact that I brought up that the Niners were kicking the tires on maybe trying to make a play for Lamar Jackson. They didn't want anything to get messed up here. If there was quiet, and I said, when there's silence. It feels like that's when things get done. But Lamar Jackson got his deal. We'll talk to Florio about that deal. And the Aaron Rodgers situation. Reportedly is now making one hundred and seven million dollars this year. Because I thought he was going to get paid like just under sixty million. Then he restructured his deal and I'm like, gosh, I want to give him less this year to make sure he comes back next year because there's no guarantee. But we'll talk to Florio. I thought the Jets failed him last night. They may have money to spend under the salary cap, but they didn't need a defensive player. If you don't get an offensive linement and he needed one, then go after another wide receiver, a skilled position player, because playing defense is not going to win you a Super Bowl. You got to outscore people. They do have a good defense already. I thought they failed him. I thought the Cowboys whift. I thought they wanted Dalton Kincaid, the tight end from Utah, and they settled for an interior lineman from Michigan. They got jumped by the Buffalo Bills. You know, strategy is really important. We're not sure how these draft picks are going to play out yet, And you know, we want to assess grades, but we're assessing a grade based off of the mock drafts. Oh they got that guy there. Okay, maybe he was supposed to be there, or maybe you, you know, took him higher than you needed to. Look at the Lions strategy, I think it was flawed yesterday or last night. But these two players could be really good. And I had told you about this.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Was that a week ago where my source who's scouting for AFC teams said, Hey, by the way, this guy is not Jean Robinson, but he is going to be a great player. He'll be a steal in the draft. Jamiir Gibbs, the running back from Alabama, Well, that's not a steal. I don't think at well by the Lions because if you look at the players the lowest salaries for franchise tag players, it's middle linebacker and it's running back.
Speaker 1: So that's what the Lions did.
Speaker 2: They took Jack Campbell, a linebacker from Iowa, and I watched Iowa play twice and the guy makes plays. He's one of those guys and he had to because the offense was so bad. They had two defensive players taken in the first round. Green Bay got Lucas van Ness and edge rusher from Iowa. But do you need to take them where you took them? That was the surprise there. And the Lions have running backs. They got Montgomery from the Bears. You got Swift, You have running backs. He better be special. Yeah, Pauline, I.
Speaker 3: Was watching the Dan Campbell, the coach of the Lions forum shiver people all over the war.
Speaker 4: Really do you think it's one of the.
Speaker 3: Cases where Dan Campbell bulldozed the people around him at Chris Bielman's an advisor there. He's an old school tough guy. We got to run the ball. You can't have too many running backs. We need an old school linebacker that you know, eighties mentality that blew up your draft strategy or or flew in the face.
Speaker 4: Of any other draft strategy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I'm watching Dan Campbell fist bump everybody.
Speaker 2: Well, he gets excited over everything. You know, if you open up a loaf of bread, he's excited. But you know, eighties style football not winning now. But these these are playmakers. I just think you could have gotten them later in the draft. That's they can turn out to be really good players. But it's it's the your strategy here, Like the Eagles have a strategy and that paid off. You know, Buffalo said we want the guy, go get the guy, and that's sometimes you get that luxury pick. And I thought the Jets were waiting for alignment to fall into their lap and then all of a sudden, somebody jumps you. And now you're like, uh, take a wide receiver, take a tight end, take a luxury item here for Aaron Rodian. Not, well, we took a defensive What do we need a defensive player? We have a top five defense right now? But the Jets they took Will McDonald from Iowa State, and he could be good. But if I'm Aaron Rodgers, it's win now, it's Super Bowl. Now does he help us? Now we got a defense?
Speaker 1: What do we need?
Speaker 2: We have to have somebody who fills that need. And I thought that, you know, you're seeing Broderick Jones where the Steelers jump up, and I think that was the surprise. They jumped up where the Patriots were and they took Broderick Jones. And I think that the Jets were attached to him. And then the Cowboys I thought for sure they were going to go tight end, thought for sure they would. They got Mazy Smith, the defensive tackle from Michigan. I know Michael Parsons liked it, but if you're watching the Cowboys in their war room, and it really felt like they were shocked, they were surprised.
Speaker 1: They're like, so what are we doing?
Speaker 2: I don't know, and then they sort of stared at each other and then all of a sudden they're like, it's Mossy and now hey, everybody applaud Okay, yeah two yeah, clean glasses. We say good morning those watching on Peacock. That's our streaming partner. Download the app if you haven't done that already. Mother's Day response has been unbelievable. To Dan's Deals at danpatrick dot com handpicked luxury gifts for Mother's Day, great prices and the discounts are passed on to you anywhere from fifty to eighty four percent off, and the deals expire on Saturday at one Eastern. We've already sold out of some things there. It's just like the tailgate moonshine, and once it's gone, it's gone. But these are gifts that I'm getting from my wife, and you can get your mother's day shopping done. Take you just a couple of minutes at Danpatrick dot com. MLB Sunday Leadoff Sunday Morning at the Ballpark, stream exclusive games Sunday mornings all season long only on Peacock. Say good morning to our radio affiliates. Good morning, three hundred and ninety cities around America. Seaton Poll question for hour two is going to be one?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: Hour one was a doozy. Okay, who goes first today? Will Levis or Hendon Hooker? We've got a fifty two to forty eight situation happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and who Who's Who's leading that? Hendon Hooker? Hendon Hooker? Yeah, fifty two? How about that?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 6: Got any ideas where both of those fellows go? Where they land?
Speaker 1: I think Minnesota is getting one of the two.
Speaker 2: You do, Yeah, but I don't have any I came into this mock draft. I assume Bryce Young was going one, and that's all I figured. After that, it's like, Okay, that makes sense. And then you start to look and you go, okay, this team needs this. Did you get now? You can always get those players in the second or third round. But when you're on the board, they're on the board and you have your opportunity. I always feel like in the first round, if you want them, go get them. Want them, get them, don't sit there and go, you know what, Maybe we can wait for him. Falcons said, we want me Jean Robinson.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go get him. Did they go higher than most people thought?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably so did the Lions do that, Yes, but they got who they wanted. It's tougher when you go, oh my god, they got him, like the Cowboys today. There's no way you can tell me that they're going, yes, we got him. But the Buffalo Bills are going, yes, we got him. They wanted a tight end, they got a tight end. They already have a tight end. But it's the luxury item. If you want it, go get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Poling, if you take the guy you want too high, you get critiqued the day of the draft, but three years later it could be the right pick. Like you said, I'm looking at the twenty nineteen draft. The New York Giants had two first round draft picks. I think they had six and twenty six or something like that. They took Daniel Jones in the sixth spot out of Duke. They got crushed for taking him way too high. They said they could have got him with the other draft pick nobody wanted. They could have taken Dwayne Haskins. They could have taken Drew Locke. I could find you twenty articles that critique it. Daniel Jones is working out for that team.
Speaker 1: Well, they took the right quarterback.
Speaker 2: They just went up too high in my opinion to take him there, because you know, Daniel Snyder said, you know that, but he was taking Dwayne Haskins and they had a higher grade on him. I'm like, you know, if you got somebody who's going to have that thought process, you could have traded down and I think still got Daniel Jones there.
Speaker 1: You got your guy.
Speaker 2: Sometimes though, you'll be criticized because maybe you went up too quickly, too high.
Speaker 1: Or he gave up too much to move up.
Speaker 2: Because keep that in mind with the Texans, they gave up a lot for an edge rusher out of Alabama. Carolina gave up a lot to move up to get Bryce Young. Those are the things that crush you. They better, you know, they have to be franchise players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paul, I.
Speaker 4: Got a little bit of news.
Speaker 3: Ish Ian rapport and others are reporting that the Pittsburgh Steelers, who have the number one pick, their trade the second round. Our fielding offers for trades that they rapport and others say that's the best draft pick to have because you've got twenty hours to deal it. Which team And he says that that team would is probably trading up.
Speaker 4: To get a quarterback?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I said that. Start the show.
Speaker 4: Can we guess it?
Speaker 2: Steelers have the first pick second round? And you know somebody's going to go up and get that. But I don't know, like you have to look at Will Levis or Hendon Hooker and say it is he worth going up to get him? And who's going to feel that way? Do the Vikings feel that way? Is there's somebody? Is there an outlier there? With the Rams move up? How many teams need quarterbacks? And how many teams want to go after the quarterback this year when we know three years or next year there'll be three quarterbacks that'll probably be taken in the top ten and maybe top five?
Speaker 1: Does Washington you know you got Sam Howell? I don't know.
Speaker 7: I like him.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's a franchise quarterback, and that's what you have to How much is it going to cost to get up there?
Speaker 1: Is he worth it?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Pull?
Speaker 3: The Rams have the fifth pick of round two, so they are only a couple spots away from the Steelers. How about the Tennessee Titans. There's rumors that they're looking at Will Levis in the first round. They have the tenth pick, the forty first pick of this second round.
Speaker 1: Noah, but you already have Malik Willis there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but now you could replace him for one fourth the price.
Speaker 2: Do I wont another guy? Unless you're trading Tannehill, then I don't. It's not like I want to bring in another one of those guys.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 2: We have the the all new Will Levis game to play. I'm not sure what the rules are with that.
Speaker 4: Sam as before Dan, it's we're gonna go around the room.
Speaker 1: Quickly, Okay.
Speaker 4: Who ends up drafting and keeping Will Levis?
Speaker 1: Okay? All right, Todd.
Speaker 8: With the tenth pick in round two, Levis goes to the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 1: Okay, See, no, Connor, can.
Speaker 6: I say two two teams? I'm going to say two teams anyway? I'm going to say it's either the Raiders or the Lions, or the Lion or the Lions.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, that's.
Speaker 3: Sneaky because this last year contract for Jared Goff and.
Speaker 1: They've been making some crazy picks, so it's like, hey, why not?
Speaker 2: And Will Levis in those lines uniform piercing blue eyes. By the way, he had a first round draft pick sitting next to him. I will say that she was a lottery pick.
Speaker 1: He actually had a couple sitting next to and his sisters. Sisters are I mean, don't want to.
Speaker 2: Talk out of school here, but I'm just saying, I mean he had nice comp there.
Speaker 9: Yes, Marv, Le'll go with the Raiders also, okay, Paulie mav I'll.
Speaker 3: Go Washington Commanders. They got traded up a little bit, but they'll get there.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll go I'll go Rams. Uh what about Hendon Hooker.
Speaker 7: That's where he's going.
Speaker 1: Hendon Hooker's going to the Rams at the fifth spot.
Speaker 6: I have the rams too for Hendon Hooker. Okay, that's what I'm hearing.
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 2: And you know what, nobody can call you on that. It's one of the great outs in our business. All you have to do is say, you know I'm hearing that's what I'm hearing. You know I got a source. Yeah, who's your source? I can't tell you, Marv.
Speaker 9: I got the Seahawks, all right, Paulie oh Man, I'm going Vikings, I.
Speaker 4: Go Tampa Bay.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 4: Based off nothing, Okay.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much our show. It's based off Saturday podcast is starting, based off nothing, based off oh.
Speaker 2: By the way way podcast yesterday, Dan Patrick takes a gamble and uh, we have Bad Larry, we have Shan Irving, we have Dylan the graphics guy, and they were making some picks, not only on the draft, also golf this weekend. I think the uh Azer by Johnny Grumbri. They were betting on that as well.
Speaker 3: Are you coming to the party of the Ozerbaijanny Grand Prix partyuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a viewing party.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Here's a portion of the podcast yesterday where I'm talking with bad Larry the time that we played basketball against one another. By the way, I have played basketball against Bad Larry and I walked off like Larry Bird at the three point shoot at the.
Speaker 10: After that week Falcoll.
Speaker 1: Years ago, he's forging this, I remember.
Speaker 2: Okay, we played, started to compete. I went to the hoop. Bad Larry fouled me, and he said it was a cheap foul.
Speaker 7: He called foul.
Speaker 10: So then, of course, you know, I was just getting a no home I want.
Speaker 1: I would like him go into his next show, would like him to. So I let him shoot. You let me shoot?
Speaker 2: Huh, you must have let me shoot a load because I've made them all. Yeah, I got so. I was so angry that I'm playing. It's one on one on one and one guy played college ball at Providence and he couldn't make a shot, and I got so mad, and I was like, all right, I'm just gonna win this thing.
Speaker 1: And so I was playing against.
Speaker 2: Bad Larry, and bad Larry was decent basketball player. Might be better at that than picking games. All right, we'll take a break. We'll get some more phone calls coming on, and Mike Florio is going to join us. We'll talk to some of the nuts and bolts. Where does he think? Well, Levis is going to go lamar Jackson's contract, a few things to talk to him about. And in the final hour this show, the draft expert from the mother Ship, Matt Miller, will stop by as well. Got basketball coming up tonight, King's Warriors, Grizzlies and the Lakers. The Celtics closed out the Hawks last night. We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick show. Get Refunds dot Com says it all right there in the name. Their job is to get refunds for you. Now, if you have less than ten minutes, in fact, less than eight minutes, they have it down to a science. Getrefunds dot Com will help you and see if you qualify for the Employee Retention Credit or ERC. Now what that is is your business might be eligible for a payroll tax refund of up to twenty six thousand dollars per employee kept on payroll during COVID. Get Refunds dot Com has already helped clients claim over three billion dollars in payroll tax refunds. Once again, it's a refund through the ERC, which is the Employee Retention Credit. They might be able to help you as well, no upfront charge. They don't get paid until your business gets its refund. And as a business owner, you might believe that you won't qualify based off in complete or outdated information. Don't let the opportunity pass you. By the payroll tax refund program is only available for a limited amount of time. You got nothing to lose. All you need is eight minutes. Go to get refunds dot com. Get refunds dot com.
Speaker 1: Good luck.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Checking the DraftKings lines, NFL Draft player props, over under passing touchdowns Bryce Young year one Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 7: Twenty three and a half.
Speaker 1: All right, Seat O'Connor.
Speaker 11: Twenty one, Hey Marv nineteen and a half, Pauli seventeen and a half, twenty six and a half, twenty six and a half no pressure.
Speaker 2: How about cjstround passing touchdownuns over under Todd twenty four and a half, Seat O'Connor.
Speaker 1: Nineteen and a half, Mark.
Speaker 7: Twenty two and a half, Paulie.
Speaker 1: Twenty one, twenty three and a half.
Speaker 2: Over under over under rushing yards Bijon Robinson, seat O'Connor.
Speaker 1: Nine to seventy five Mark.
Speaker 12: Uh, twelve hundred all right, Paulie one thy sixty god eleven o seven eleven hundred and a half yards just over Toddler, Yeah, sorry, he went over.
Speaker 2: Let's bring in Mike Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk Live, co host, NBC Football Night America, contributor and the show The Preseas Hours on Peacock. Let's start with Lamar Jackson here. How did we get to this point? And we always love to say what's the true value of the contract and who won and who lost?
Speaker 5: Here, Well, we don't know the true value yet because we haven't seen the full numbers. We have limited information so far. But it's a five year, two hundred and sixty million dollar contract from signing. Usually it's an extension and we ignore the fact that there's old money involved. Let me give you a great example, good comparison, Jalen Hurts. He actually has a six year, two hundred and fifty nine million dollar contract when it's signed and when it's applied, Lamar five years two to sixty. Lamar makes more over five years than Jalen Hurts makes over six years, because Jalen Hurts had that one year left that gets attached to the five year extension making it a six year contract. So there's little things like that that need to be explained. It's easier though, once we get the full numbers, and we'll get the full numbers Dan, full guarantee it's signing, and also how much of the injury guarantee becomes fully guaranteed after the first year because they're not going to cut him after one year. How much flips what's that total number that helps us understand how good of a deal it is.
Speaker 2: Any chance the Ravens regret this or will I don't think they regret it.
Speaker 5: I think they regret the fact that they couldn't have gotten it done sooner. I think it should have been done last August. Look, we reported in the aftermath of the Jalen Hurt steal, and I think the Jalen Hurt steal Dan was a very valuable piece of this. I think it snapped Lamar Jackson out of his Deshaun Watson fever dream. It finally got him to realize, I'm not getting five years fully guaranteed two hundred and thirty two hundred and forty two hundred and fifty million. It's not happening. It's the aberration. It's the outlier. I have to do a traditional deal like Jalen Hurts, and that's what he did. Now, I think he should have done it last August. Last August, he would have gotten one hundred and thirty three million fully guaranteed. Its signing last August, he would have signed a deal that would have flipped another thirty five million to fully guaranteed in March of this year for one sixty eight that would have been fully guaranteed. As a practical matter, he should have done it in August. And I'm going to be very interested to compare the key factors from this deal to what I know about the deal he rejected in August. But he finally woke up and realized this is the key. Because people are like, oh, he won, or he didn't need an agent after all, or whatever. He needed someone to wake him up, whether it was Odell Beckham Junior, whether it was Jalen Hurt's contract. Something woke him up to get him to realize, I'm not going to get what I want. I better just take what I can get.
Speaker 1: What's Aaron Rodgers getting paid this year?
Speaker 5: Sixty million?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 1: Where did I see one hundred and seven million.
Speaker 5: There's all sorts of different numbers that flow around. Look, his cash flow is one hundred They did something with his contract, yeah, and I don't I haven't seen the actual document yet, so I'm not ready to accept at someone else's characterization of its accurate. There was something about his salary next year being one hundred and seven million, but that's including the sixty million he's due to make this year. But he's still going to make sixty million this year. He's not playing for a million bucks this year in New York. They did something in Green Bay so they could trade the contract in a way that reduced the cap hit. But the Jets aren't paying him any less this year than what he was supposed to make. He didn't take a pay cut.
Speaker 1: Paying him one hundred and seven million dollars this year.
Speaker 5: No sixty million because what he was doing to make this year, And I've heard nothing to suggest he's taken a penny less than sixty million. But that's still pretty good for a guy who's pushing forty sixty million dollars in cash flow this year under the contract he signed last year with the Packers.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to front load this because I want to enticing to play next year and there's no guarantee. And what did you make of what happened with the Jets in the draft with a team that needed offensive line and they ended up getting somebody for the defense.
Speaker 5: Hidden cost of that final Aaron Rodgers trade. Look, Dan, I think the Jets got fleeced here when you look at everything they gave up. They were desperate to get this guy the pick next year, the second round of the comes a first rounder. All it takes is Aaron Rodgers playing just over eleven games this year and the second round becomes a first rounder. They don't have to make the playoffs for it to become a first rounder. They don't have to win a playoff game. They don't have to win a single regular season game. That could be a top five pick. Let's say he gets injured and misses five games and they struggle, they got a tough schedule, they fail to make the playoffs, they're in the top ten. Hackers get that pick if he plays sixty five percent of the snaps and then the kicker was the flip flop thirteen to fifteen, you fall to fifteen. What happens Steelers cut the line, they take the tackle that you may have wanted, and you have to go either side of the line. That's the hidden cost of this deal. But they were desperate to get it done. My theory is Woody Johnson, the owner of the Jets, said to somebody on Monday, get this bleepity bleep thing done. Today. I'm sick of this hanging over our heads.
Speaker 2: I'm watching the body language of the Cowboys in the war room, and I think they got surprised by the Buffalo Bills. What do you make of what the Cowboys did that they You know, you have to you're on camera. You got to be excited for the cameras. Do you think the Cowboys got the player that they truly wanted?
Speaker 5: Mike, Well, look, they're never going to admit it. They're always going to say they got the guy they would have taken even if we had the first overall pick in the draft. But that moved by the Bills. Sims and I were talking about this earlier today. You know, the Bills need playmakers on offense. All they have is Tefan Digs, especially a receiver, and Dawson Knox. Look, he's no slous, but they need they need a receiver. You get through nineteen picks and not avery single receiver he's taken. This is great for the Bells and then receiver receiver, receiver, receiver, And you know the Cowboys are lurking for a potential tight end. And I thought the Bills were going to move up even higher than they did, but I think they got desperate to get that guy. And now they have Dawson Knox and Dalton Kinkaid. How's that going to work out? I don't know, but they need pass catchers for Josh Allen.
Speaker 2: He's Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk Live. Let's play the Will Levis game. Who takes him?
Speaker 5: Well? You know you got teams out there that were potentially looking at quarterback that didn't take one in round one? What happens in round two? Does Tennessee try to move up? Do the Steelers dangle that pick all day long to whoever wants will love us? Somebody explained to me. I haven't written this yet, but somebody explained to me this morning. What can happen when a slide begins? There are so many insecure teams about their own evaluation that when a guy starts to slide, they doubt their evaluation and they worry, what are others going to say? What's the owner going to say? What if he doesn't work out? You have your evaluation And the person I talk to today thinks twenty to twenty five teams had a first round grade on Will Levis, but once he starts to go, people get wobbly about what they really think and that slide gets fueled. So that raises the possibility one of these teams out there, Dan, that is thinking we need a quarterback. We didn't get one last night. Let's see if we can trade up and get in position to get Will Levis. And it's good for Levis. From this standpoint four year contract, not five years. It's better to go high round two than low round one because you don't have to worry about the fifth year option. Like Dak Prescott, even though he went far later than round one, he was able to put the Cowboys in the corner pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that made him feel good last night at eleven o'clock as he's trying to slink out of the green room.
Speaker 5: Dan, somebody did not properly set his expectations. That's the most important thing. The agent can do. You got to prepare your client for your worst case scenario. Where is your floor? I told him his floor is all the way out around one.
Speaker 2: I want to play this from his pro day, Marvin play Will Levis.
Speaker 5: If I get invited in, like, if I know like I'll be pretty high pick.
Speaker 7: I'll definitely go. I'm looking forward to going, but I don't want to go if like I could be like a second round pick. You know you don't want to do that. Don't want to have the camera just sign you all that?
Speaker 1: Well, exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: We have a new agent, hey Gino Smith. Remember when he fell out around one? Yeah, he didn't come back at first on day two, and then he gets the picked. He changed agents not long after that. Somebody failed to prepare him for what was gonna happen, or he wouldn't have gone.
Speaker 1: Why go?
Speaker 5: Why put yourself through that if you think there's a chance you're going to slide all the way out around one?
Speaker 1: Does he go today?
Speaker 5: I think he goes today. I don't think it's going to continue.
Speaker 1: I think no. Does he show up today?
Speaker 5: Oh? Good question, good question. I wouldn't I know. I wouldn't have gone unless I'm damn sure I'm one of the top five guys. I wouldn't have even gone, So I think that's going to be a real tough one to get him to go back.
Speaker 2: But hasn't the commissioner said before, Didn't they say, hey, stop putting a camera on some of these guys who start falling.
Speaker 1: It's good TV.
Speaker 2: But you know, at some point you're like, come on, you know, I cut the kid a break, Dan.
Speaker 5: It's on my list of things to track down. I feel like at some point over the past fifteen years I wrote a story about that. Now I just have to go find it. You know, it moves pretty quickly in these parts, but I'm pretty sure my adult brain vaguely recalls something like that where they wanted to make it less taxing on the player, more humane, more positive, less negative. They don't want that dramatic moment where we're all enjoying in a weird sort of way, this stress and strain. So we saw a few shots last night, and it was clear that will Levis was not prepared for what ultimately happened.
Speaker 1: Where does Hendon Hooker go.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, he's a prime candidate for the Titans, because you don't need him this year. Torn Acl not going to be ready this year. Don't rush him into the fray this year. There's a thought maybe Hooker actually goes higher than Levis if people are really freaked out.
Speaker 2: The Malik Willis era over before it even started in Tennessee.
Speaker 5: I think the moment they benched him for Josh Dobbs last year is when it ended. I mean, think about it. They're in the playoff push and I remember that Thursday night game was approaching against the Cowboys, and it's like they're what they're starting Josh Dobbs instead of Malik Willis.
Speaker 7: What are they doing?
Speaker 5: They're saving Malik Willis for the playoffs. He just assume they're making the postseason. It makes no sense to me. But think about the disconnect that apparently was there between John Robinson, the former GM and Mike Rabel, the head coach. Remember last year the scene when they trade aj Brown and Rabel looks like he's ready to throw someone through a wall. That may have been a pick where Robinson thinks Malik Willis is the guy and Rabel was never really sold on it. And so now we move on from Malik Willis.
Speaker 1: The best pick Last Night was made by who.
Speaker 5: I really was fascinated by, Jean Robinson, and I think the Falcons went from fringe team of relevance to real contender in one fell swoop.
Speaker 2: They do love to run the ball, Mike, you know, over fifty percent. They're one of three teams that they run the ball more than they pass.
Speaker 5: They were seven to ten each of the last two years, and it doesn't seem that they were that good. They're in a wide open division in a conference where all the great talent keeps leaving for the AFC. Yes, the Eagles are really good. Yes the forty nine ers are really good. But when you look at the skill position players they have now Kyle Pitts and Drake London and Tyler al Jeer who still has a role in that team. And I forgot about Cordero Patterson. People are like, oh, well, Desmond Ritter, he's not a good quarterback. Well, I could be a good quarterback with that many great players around. God forbid, all you got to do is hand the football off and off they go. So Arthur Smith a great offensive mind. I think now with Jon Robinson, the Falcons are the team I'd pick to win that.
Speaker 2: And aljier Ran for Yeah, I know, and they got him out of nowhere. Is Joe Burrow's contract bigger than Lamar Jacksons? Yes, Is justin Herbert's bigger than Lamar Jackson's.
Speaker 5: Yes, maybe by a little bit. If I'm Herbert, I want to see what Burrow gets, and then I want to try to come in between Burrow and Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 1: Oh so you don't. If you're Herbert, you don't go now.
Speaker 5: No, I want to see what Burrow gets. If I'm Herbert, Okay, I think Burrow is the one guy who may come out of this day and with like a ten year contract and his compensation is tied to a percentage of the salary cap. Players have tried to get that. Teams have said no. I think Mike Brown, the owner of the Bengals, is enough of a renegade to tell the league I don't care. This makes sense for us. We're going to give Joe Burrow a set percentage so as the cap goes up, his pay goes up. The contract is never obsolete. Look at the Patrick Mahomes deal in light of all these other contracts. No, Patter Mahlmes getting robbed right now? And the Chiefs are lucky that he's he's wired in a way that he's not kicking in someone's door saying take care of my contract. But they need to take care of his contract. I think the Bengals avoid that if they give Joe Burrow a percentage of the cap.
Speaker 2: Have a good weekend, Mike, thanks for joining us. Thanks Nancy Pout, Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk Live. Yeah, we said it at the time with Mahomes, that is a team friendly deal, and it didn't take long for that to be a really, really team friendly deal. Andrew in Washington is back. Hi, Andrew, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Good morning, Dan, and then it's Happy Meet Friday. Well, our Carolina Panthers got the draft pick they wanted. I'm really excited. I hope that Frank Reich uses a little different offensive scheme to get the most out of Bryce Young and we could move forward in this new era. Will Levis, I don't know if it was just all the mock drafts that made us feel like he was a first round draft pick. But like you said, Dan, I didn't see anything, and I watched a few games last year. I do have a stat of the day but real quick, Paulie, if you could give me a couple of types of pie to put to my face. I still owe you Draft Day pies, which I'll have to do this weekend when I'm off work. But I do have a stat of the day if you don't mind. In all five of their postseason games together, Kevin Durant and Devin Booker have each scored at least twenty five points. That makes the longest streak to start a postseason, also done by Shaq and Kobe for a pair of teammates in NBA history. Go Lakers.
Speaker 2: Statam today brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards to The Dan Patrick Show. Laker's big favorites to beat the Grizzlies tonight. The Warriors are big favorites to be even bigger favorites to beat the Kings tonight. We'll take a break. More phone calls coming up right after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the peacock app.
Speaker 7: Hey, what's up everybody?
Speaker 13: It's me three time pro bowler LeVar Arrington and I couldn't be more excited to announce a podcast called Up on Game? What is up on Game? You asked, along with my fellow pro bowler TJ. Huschman Zada and Super Bowl champion Yup, that's right, Plexico Buruts. You can only name a show with that type of talent on it. Up on Game We're going to be sharing our real life experiences loaded with teachable moments. Listen to Up on Game with Me LeVar Arrington, TJ. Huschman, Zada, and Plexico Birds on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcast from.
Speaker 1: I think do you Todd is?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I like it?
Speaker 2: What happened before? Or was there a six? It was just Mambo number five? Yeah, Pum.
Speaker 3: I have this irrational concern about irrational rational concern about one hit wonders like guy's names Lou Baker, Right, yeah, he made this song. I'm guessing like fifteen years ago, and I don't know that he had a follow up hit. I guess is no, like, did he save it? Did he did he make like three million dollars in six months and then that just ends up?
Speaker 2: Or or did he think he was going to have another big hit right Mambo number six?
Speaker 1: Wait till you get the extended version.
Speaker 3: But then I saw about three months ago I saw like a commercial for something and this song was in it.
Speaker 4: Does he make like fifty grand off?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 4: Does he make ten grand off?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 4: I'm fascinated by this? What do you got? Seaton knows more about this stuff to me?
Speaker 3: But these guys I think make They're set once and they're set forever.
Speaker 2: What's the song though? That You can't see it commercial? You can't see that product without thinking that song. Like I always thought Bob Seger like a rock you know, that was what Chevy trucks that was? That one was a big one attached to it. Is there another one that you think of when you hear that song?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: Whenever I hear Sam Cook and he has don't know much about his and I always think of Animal House?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: But but it.
Speaker 2: Didn't get the credit it deserved because it was really more about the movie in Belushi going through the food line there ton.
Speaker 7: Wasn't there a song?
Speaker 8: My baby is a very fine baby song that it became my beer is a very fine beer matte back in the day.
Speaker 7: Maybe not the best.
Speaker 2: Example, but that wasn't but it allowed you to sing it, So that's what you wanted in the first place.
Speaker 7: Yes, mart I have answer. I do not have an answer for that question at all. Oh, but my question for you is when are we doing that reality show? Like what's what's montel Jordan's life? Like? Like does he go on toward do this is how we do it? But picks up?
Speaker 1: Do people care about that?
Speaker 3: But if you're a one hit wonder, at what point in the set do you play your song? Let's say so, let's say lou Bega is doing a show and he's doing fifty minutes and he's got eleven songs.
Speaker 4: He has to do it, he has to do an hour.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I don't know if he could do a concert.
Speaker 6: Yes, see see, I think lou Bega is in a little bit of a different spot because the rest you're gonna dance the whole time that you're at his concert, and that's really.
Speaker 1: What people are interested in, right.
Speaker 6: So when you're there and you're waiting for Mumble number five and you're like, oh yeah, this one. If they were like a rock band. Okay, give me an example, and uh like the verve pipe and that song the Freshman, right, we.
Speaker 1: Were really we were only freshman. That's like they're one big song.
Speaker 6: They have a whole concert, and then you're kind of waiting for that one song. That's a pretty depressing song. That's tough. There's not a lot of dancing there. There's not a lot of like whatever, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Okay, But like Dexy's Midnight Runners, Yeah, they got come on Eileen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when do they play that?
Speaker 4: You don't open?
Speaker 6: Are you gonna wait until you close? You gotta hold that for an encore? Good grease, I think you have to.
Speaker 2: But can you how many songs constitute a concert here? Because I don't know if some of these these artists have enough songs?
Speaker 7: Yeah more, my wife went to a concert like this. I love the nineties concert where they have all these acts where they had like Color Me Bad and All for One and.
Speaker 1: How many songs do they get to perform?
Speaker 5: All? Right?
Speaker 7: So All for One had maybe about three hits, and so they did maybe like five. Young MC did like his minor hit and then he did bust the move and that was it. And then Montell Jordan also came on and he did He's got mine like R and B hits, but this is how we do it. It's the big pop hit. Yeah. So he did maybe about twenty minutes twenty Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's I would have had the under on that, not.
Speaker 7: I mean, he was. It was the extended version of this is how.
Speaker 1: Yes Todd.
Speaker 8: I would think the Natives would get restless after a while. You're sitting there and they're like, here's another one from our new album.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, well the one we were like, it's the thing you don't want to hear when you go to see an older band or artists when they go, here's something that we just put out.
Speaker 1: And you're like, uh, that's not what I came here for. Private Ezze shut up.
Speaker 6: Yeah that was as you know, I've seen Bare Naked Ladies no fewer than one hundred and fifty times.
Speaker 1: And they were at this one period in.
Speaker 6: Their u like this one point in their career where they really didn't want to be known for like quirky fun songs and they were making serious not that those songs weren't serious, but there was I think trying to tackle more serious subject matter or something not be known as so quirky, you know, and they would throw these songs into their set and the place would just die, like there was just no energy whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Then all of a sudden, the something then my apartment are you?
Speaker 2: But if you know this, like imagine you're on stage and you start to sing a song and then you everybody getting up to go, you know, go to the bathroom or getting something to drink, right, I mean it has to affect you because you I.
Speaker 1: Mean, you put your heart and soul in that that song.
Speaker 2: You're like, hey, we're gonna play that next, and you play it and all of a sudden, you're like.
Speaker 1: A great example of that is John Mayer right now.
Speaker 6: He's got all these like poppy acoustic rock hits right that everybody knows, but he really wants to just be a blues Yes he are, yes, And so he's up there just wailing on the blues for twenty minutes and people are like.
Speaker 1: Bust through the double doors. Your body's a wonderlayer.
Speaker 6: Georgia's and he's just screaming on the guitar. He's a phenomenal guitar player. You're like, man, this dude, he really just wants to play the blues. But he's like, Okay, let me get the acoustic out of I mean.
Speaker 1: Let me get it out of all way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no one came here to see your Buddy Guy tribute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you got famous. Now play the songs that we help make you famous. Not Hey, I'm tired of playing these. I'm gonna be known as you know, the next BB Yeah.
Speaker 7: And what if you bring your girlfriend? You're not a John Mayer fan, but she is. You're like, all right, I like a couple of his songs. Oh my goodness, this is what I paid one hundred and fifty dollars a pop for. Should break up with you right now?
Speaker 4: Boom man one hit wonder Girlfriend?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's who's who? And what's what? Right?
Speaker 4: What's everybody there?
Speaker 3: A concert that was just awful, just purely like either bulls acts were off or they put on a bad show.
Speaker 4: O man, that was awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you don't see I don't know, no one sees bands they don't like unless you go with someone else or.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'd go to a show where I knew that it had the potential to be bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see.
Speaker 6: I've seen some bands sometimes like where you see them in a smaller club and they're great, and then you see them outside at a big festival and it's like, that's not really great, that's not really fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Todd, what about telling about surpassed expectations.
Speaker 8: You were pumped and it was even better than you could have even imagined it would be. Like when I saw Billy Joel and Elton john and two piano's rising from the stage and they're playing each other's songs and they're facing each other.
Speaker 4: I was like, Wow, this is just yeah.
Speaker 1: You have two of the great entertainers of It was gonna be really good.
Speaker 8: But I was like, even that much more wonderful than I envisioned it would be.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know Jack Johnson, the surfer singer guy. My wife is a big fan. I casually knew his work and I saw him in like the Bronx at this small place. And what he did was he played for two hours, and every song he added another instrument, and he started out with just himself and then by the end of the song there was like fifteen people on stage. By the end of the two hours, and it was jamming and it built really well.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: See, I was never a fan of his music, but Marilyn Manson put on one of the best concerts I've ever seen in my entire life.
Speaker 1: Was phenomenal.
Speaker 2: But it's more theatricals the music itself. But the music works so well with the theatrics.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 1: It was super impressive.
Speaker 2: Two hours in the books on this meet Friday. One more to go back after this