Speaker 1: What up, y'all? This is your main man, Memphis Bleak right here.
Speaker 2: Welcome to rock Solid, a production of iHeart Radio and the Black Effect Network and partnership with my guys over at Drink Champs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all, you already know what it is.
Speaker 2: Yours truly Memphis Bleak, back with another exclusive episode Rock Solid Podcast with a legendary motherfucking figure in this hip hop music business. When it comes down to New York radio, you cannot mention High ninety seven without this guy sitting right here. Man, A's welcome my brother DJ enough to the mom. Man, what's uping?
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 1: Yo?
Speaker 2: I got a phone call, Nigga said, Now I even get a phone call. I saw the Instagram. Bro, they like Bleak said, he'll fuck with you, cash on, try to start some beef. You see that the way he lined it up, He's like, Yo, fuck with you.
Speaker 3: He put it in the chat and then I heard it and I was like, what are you talking about? And then I heard it and I was like, nah, he's bugging. I'm like, Yo, Bleak, you're bugging. There's no way I was in the studio with you co signing the record. Damn near producing the record with the record with No. One hundred thousand do that. And I heard you said, you know he was like proof and be high and all them guys my day ones blah blah blah blah blah. I remember all of that. It was me and Google came late night. But what I don't understand is what are you mad about? You didn't played the record, not ever played the record.
Speaker 1: You gave it probably five spins.
Speaker 3: No, no way, man. You know why I remember cutting the ship out that record because it goes get him. But I ain't get that. Yay love Yo yay was hot. So to me, I wasn't you Yeah, damn just say yo, you was kind of whack. No, I wasn't ever say that. But for me, you gotta understand something. I'm gonna keep it into perspective, so you get it. I used to have the heavy hit his record pool on thirty eighth Street and my man with name of Clean's office, right, okay, So they used to be a young rapper out of Chicago named Kanye West who used to knock on my door every night. I remember was heavy something. But I'm bugging, I'm like, yoo, who is this dude? And he was like, I want to be a heavy hitter, and I'm like, yo, I'm not yo. This is this is I got a DJ collective. Man, I'm not trying to manage no artists. We're not trying to put no artists out. I played myself because I could have should.
Speaker 1: Have wored out.
Speaker 3: But what I didn't realize that what's the studio on thirty eighth Street the one we had, yeah, Baseline, No, it wasn't Baseline, a different one where he recorded his album, was it right track? No, there's the studio on thirty eighth, like and tenth or eleventh or whatever. It was literally down the block from the office. So all this time, that all this time that I know to time, got a room in there or something or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: I don't know what.
Speaker 3: It's a legacy, remember that legacy legacy.
Speaker 1: Remember, so.
Speaker 3: He was recording that legacy. But I never knew about legacy. So I thought he was crazy. I said, this, dude's always coming to Manhattan to meet me, because I think he was staying in Jersey at the time before his mom passed away. He was producing and I remember literally like him just begging to be down with my collective, And I'm like, why he goes because you got so much power you could just in the in the turn of a night make me a superstar. I need you, bro, you know so remember I had heavy hit this in Chicago. J Farius Timbuctoo, guy that was all.
Speaker 1: Over the world got dj oh No Wing fucking.
Speaker 3: Many everywhere pulled.
Speaker 1: Up my guys.
Speaker 3: Man, that's right, just like you got the nation I got going. That's the same thing. Is powerful as big, and you know that's that's how sol it was.
Speaker 1: I respect, I was just fucking around, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Now? You know I don't take none of this music shit serious because even to get played one time or Hot ninety seven, it was more than another flag, you know what I'm saying because growing up listening to the legends y'all playing, you know, knowing read alert all the history that comes from New York City.
Speaker 1: So to even be in.
Speaker 3: That party, invited in there getting a few spins, I appreciate it when you have it. Yeah, it had me fucked up. I'm gonna tell you what when you said what you said, because I'm thinking now I'm talking to cast and it was like, yo, is this true? And I'm thinking, what if it was true? Did I forget to show my man love number one? Did the beef Jay and Flex had fuck up something? Or was it that's or was it remember when Jay's ninety nine problems when he said, if you don't play my show, don't give a shit. I told y'all, So I don't know if that had ain't gonna do with anything. Well, I remember, was that what year you dropped that record? Two thousand and that was three or four five, So I was already I was already at five o'clock at that time, So I remember only I guess talking to Swiss because Swiss used to always talk to me like, yo, you killed it today, But me, I don't know if I ever had your number back then, not like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we kicked it here and there when you get in touch with each other. The rest of smissed the sea was my brage to all the DJs in New.
Speaker 3: York City was Guy. So I'm thinking in my head like did I fuck up on bleak? I'm really thinking, and I was like, those are the only reasons why? And then we started thinking like, you know, wait a minute, was this Vinyl days or was this Sorado because I'm like, so, then, how you gave me the record? Do you remember? He don't even remember?
Speaker 2: No, Remember we had it was Bobby Dash first, remember everything, and then Donna and everybody are running to the radio. When we got to the when Jay became president of Death Jam, there was no I don't even know who the radio person was. Remember, that was a whole new system. So my goal was we in the studio making this record together, Swiss, gonna get this record like we get it to every DJ. He going to be down there, like I said, produce the record, Swiss, ow some pub on that.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I just felt like and I ain't gonna hold you, bro.
Speaker 2: I always felt like in New York City again, I didn't get showed to love I deserved. And it was always because I was too close to the fire.
Speaker 3: Maybe because whatever whole didn't do they took out on me. It could have been, but I wasn't in charge of that. Of course I was never That's not factor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it comes from the top down, you know what I'm saying. It's not like it's you like, Yo, we're gonna take bleep records out now?
Speaker 3: If he ain't come to your party. And on the heavy of this podcast, I told my guys your story. I said, yo, I said, Blee could say what he wants about that, but I'm gonna tell you he's a short shot dude. It's what you mean. I said. I remember trying to catch a cab. I was going to the label. You pulled up on me on West fourth Street and sixth Avenue. I remember where you're going. I'm going to the label. It was like, I'll give you a ride, but the car is dirty. Oh yeah, you told me the.
Speaker 1: Car was super dirty.
Speaker 3: So I said, nah, man, you go ahead, bleak, I'll catch the next ride. So it was at that moment I was like, I got the ultimate respect for this dude, because you think of how many dudes in the hood get jammed up. Not even my car is dirty. My car is this. And then you go to a stop check or someone pulls you over and everybody going, and everybody goes to the system. Because I'm a firm belief you got car man, let me know, real one, let me know or you. So I just got to say that, No, I appreciate that, my Godnike, but let's go back because I got a legend here, so I want to know history. Gem take us back that when you first started DJing the party scene. What was that like? All right, so there were these guys from Brooklyn called the Love Brothers. I tell the story. I'm too young for that. I told the story all the time. Right. They have the del Gatto's podcast, now that's them. Oh okay, anyway, So my interesting thing, I don't want to talk too much about it because I got a book I'm coming out with, but I'll tell you some important things. Like I did the Sunday night party in the city. It was called the Grill. It was an African spot. It was a cross street from the California Club. It was on forty sixth Street or forty third Street and in Times Square. It was a big deal. Right now, imagine they hire me every week to do this party. Right, first week, nobody's there, Lee, I'm like, come on, man, three hundred bucks. They're trying to pay me to do this part. I'm like three hundred bucks in there. I was telling my people, I do that ship for free because I love the music so much. Right, I was in love with the music. Right second week go by, nobody's there. The hottest party in the city at the time was the Red Zone on a Thursday night.
Speaker 1: You just named like four clubs I never heard of.
Speaker 3: You never heard the Red Zone. No man, oh man, you was outside yet he was on the bench of Marshy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was still trust the bridge. I ain't crust the bridge yet.
Speaker 3: So anyway, on this Thursday night party, you had the likes of like Kick Capri Clark Kent, DJ Pete Rock. They were the DJ legends. You God Dag, the DJs, a guy named but Naked Tim Dogg who used to roll with the Chill. But that.
Speaker 1: Was wicked. But that was left that last part up.
Speaker 3: You know what they're going to say, all right, but I'm just tell you that was his name. Yo, it comes from Google him man comes up butt Naked Tim Dag Yo Chill.
Speaker 1: And then we had the rapper Tim dog Oh man, it.
Speaker 3: Was problems problem man. So I mean that was my vibe. And then at that party, the host of my party was a guy named Toughy. Toughy was one of the hosts of Video Music Box. Okay, right, Ralph mcdamn Bronx. Right, So we decided, I said, I came up with this marketing plan. I said, you know what, if nobody coming to the party, let's at least get some bodies in the party. Because if you're a club owner and you open up to some promoters and it's not working. But if I got three four hundred heads in there and they're at least buying something at the ball, you're gonna be good at that. Maybe we're not doing good at the door, but we're doing good at the ball, right. So I printed up like three four or five hundred VIP free tickets and that Thursday night party at the Red Zone I'm telling you about, there was a New Jack City party the movie. This is when I thought I was Christopher Williams. No list me mad, Yeah, I understand. I'm a light skinned dude that had I had the curly hair, came in there like with a suit.
Speaker 1: And back in the days, that's how you had to step out, had to get dressed up.
Speaker 3: I was doing parties with heavy d and a lot of these dudre heroes and those dudes. We had to dress. You had to be like suits, sari ties and shoes.
Speaker 1: More reason ship can play.
Speaker 3: It wasn't until later that everybody wanted to dress like Russell Simmons and come with jeans and a white dan.
Speaker 2: Russell Simmons fucked the game up. Just connected right there.
Speaker 3: There's the reason why everybody's because they wanted to be downtown swingers. And that's what it was. He give it some game, right now. I didn't know that you give it some game with that one right now, I'm talking too much, bleak. No, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Russell simm has changed the gag.
Speaker 3: Yo. You remember the time when jay Z started wearing uh button ups. Yes, he changed the whole entire industry. It's the same thing, man, Guys empower the the ones who make all the decisions. At that time, my Susan King, whatever he wore, people wore. So whether it was up or shelter, Adidas, some jeans and a white tea, that's how you went to the parties. And he was picking up models just like that.
Speaker 1: Some like a rich fuck that suit, that suit. I'm good.
Speaker 2: I'm good as legendary man. So do you remember the first time you felt like, damn my name ringing out here in New York man? Like the night life, the streets.
Speaker 3: All right, there's a few times, but one of the most dynamic times was I was with Angie Martinez. Shout to my sister Angie Martinez, Right, we will on the Hot ninety seven float during the Puerto Rican Day Parade. Right. So every year, you know, Angie does that, right, and she's you know, she got on the mic. She'd be like, yeah, and you hit a cloud. So she said my name one time, right, and it was like whatever, and then she said it again the next year, and it was like it got a little bit better. But like the third year she said my name, it was like and she looked at me, she goes, here, that's right, I'm here, you're hearing that, that's right. So I was like that was my cod sign, like you know what I mean, I know that feeling and you know, crazy. And then when j became the president of death jam my mother being in forty forty and Jay came to me on the side and he pulled me to the side, and this is when I felt like I was one of his soldiers. Beat this, beat this, because you know, I didn't know any other presidents to any of labors except Kevin Lyles. He's the only one I do coolest presidents too. So JA was like you know, I'm about to be the president of Death Jam. Right. So he was like, I was, so you, yo, bro, I'm from Brooklyn. You get the I need you from Hove. It's amazing, Like I'm here, what's up? Yeah? Man, you gotta understand something like we're like cousins. And the reason why I'll tell you we're like cousins peat this. When I was on the road with Big I would hear the stories of the commission of what he was trying to make with Iceberg, Slim with Charlie Baltimore and then whoever. Right. So one of the magic nights was we performed at BAM downtown Brooklyn. Right now, I know that spot. Now I'm outside. I DJ for Big IRV God he was DJ for J And it was like side by side and it was like and then Jay dropped or can I live? And then we dropped. The was beef and a bunch of records. But it's like those magical moments where you just look at each other, like and I remember a big light being with his crew and then they would see you. You know you guys. It was always it was always it's always this like, but it was it was respect. It was like, and then another story. You want me to go.
Speaker 1: Back, go back, go back. I love this ship.
Speaker 3: At the Montrose Hotel. Remember that hotel, the Montrose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you kidding me.
Speaker 3: So now peep this, y'all. So peep this. One of the finest moments in my eyes. I'm in the lobby of the hotel, were checking in. It's me and Money l D Rock. I don't know. I don't know if the Rock was there. If it was d Rock, then it was gutt It wasn't there because there was a time where someone them was in prison and that kind of thing. And I see Rock him walking into the hotel, right, and then BIG's on this side and they both walking this way. So I'm looking at like, oh, ship, one of the greatest rappers of all time is right here. And then the newly crowned king is is is coming this So in my mind I'm like, Yo, this is going this is crazy. It's a movie. In my mind, I'm looking like whatever. And then they just crossed paths and Big was just like and then Rob was like, that's it. That's the saying ship, that's crazy. I thought it would I thought it would be better than that. Yeah, yeah, word up some type of acknowledge. Man, Goddamn Big the greatest bro.
Speaker 2: We ain't gonna just go you DJ for Big you and miss the c like y'all came up with me.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna correct you because on your podcast, I didn't DJ for Junior Mafia, my man Jiff Jeff Pause DJ for Junior Mafia and then sighther sometimes DJ FORR Mafia. I DD for Big to see found Big for a big either, because I want you to get it all in context.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, I know the I know the line.
Speaker 2: I know you was DJ because I remember the Connecticut Show when they came with Big hurt his leg after his birthday party. You was definitely DJing that Connecticut show, that nigga. They willed him out on that motherfucker stage in that wheelchair pandemonium moneyggas shut ship down in the wheelchairir like, so I remember those days. And like you said, a lot of people don't even remember IRV Gotti was j DJ.
Speaker 1: They think IRV Gotti just started out, you know, murder ingland.
Speaker 3: You don't know, everybody got a beginning in this his in this in this hip hop here man, and I respect that man like y'all niggas paved the way for us, like you saying Jay with his crew and you was were big in them, Nah, bro, I was the little kid just sitting there like this. I can't wait till I get my shot. This is how nigga's rolling, This is how we go. And it's like when I got my shot, the gang was still sweet, but it wasn't like when y'all had it like when y'all had the gang member groupies. Was happy to be a groupie.
Speaker 1: And my time, they was like, I'm not no groupye like you right, girl?
Speaker 3: You not?
Speaker 1: But y'all ever they like I'm grouped the fly.
Speaker 3: All I know is this man. I was on the road with these little four feet guys called Junior Mafia and they were Yo. These guys were terrorists behind Yo. They had females everywhere. There was groupies out the wazoo. We had a good time, though.
Speaker 1: I used to ENVYCS man.
Speaker 2: I used to be like this little motherfucker snigger got all the joints.
Speaker 1: I wait till I drop a record, Nigga. I'm weird's on yo, man.
Speaker 3: When I think about it, she was like fourteen years old when it's all happened. I'm like, yo, y'all, it's crazy that niggas Yo, even Big Bro. You think about it, rest of Pees, Big and Park was kids, Bro. They had in the twenty twenties.
Speaker 1: Bro, they didn't they see life at all twenty something. We were babies, Bro.
Speaker 2: So listen all right before the stream and these playlists and everything that the rap games turned to. Yes, sir, back then in New York, the DJs, y'all controlled everything that was moving musically in the game.
Speaker 1: What you feel like made that era so special?
Speaker 3: Well, first, first of all, you know what I enjoyed about that era. All our superstars were in the back, in our backyard, meaning I didn't have to go to Atlanta, I didn't have to go to La. They were literally across the bridge in Brooklyn, or they were across the bridge and Queens or through the tunnel whatever. They were local at all, they were. They were local as a fact. Ninety three, ninety four, ninety five, it was Wu Tang, Big j Nas, Mob Deep you know all that fact.
Speaker 2: Joe Yeah, Ship the locks was on to come up. That boy was on their run like shit, nigga.
Speaker 3: That was the best ever ever I saw how I saw how you said when you're talking to Cipher. It was like, that's why bad Boy ran the game, because enough his big DJ, little kidj DJ for I was like, that's not the reason why.
Speaker 2: I believe they had the hits. But they had the inside plug.
Speaker 3: Too, I'm sure to a certain degree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, yeah, his favoritism.
Speaker 2: Man, Like, if I'm a DJ and I'm playing the records of a nigga that we're not to get off this radio, I'm on the road with him.
Speaker 1: Come on, le's play these red We're gonna keep this nigga on the road. I need these checks.
Speaker 2: Maybe you were fuck They talk about X two more spins before commercial.
Speaker 1: Come on, facts are no facts.
Speaker 3: You could be right, Joe. You see, you could be right like that. You've been interrogated before, y'all. You could be right.
Speaker 1: Two things could be right and wrong at the same time. Yo.
Speaker 2: You became known for breaking major records. You broke a lot of records in New York City, you know what I'm saying. Having strong relationships with all the artists across different genres of music, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean?
Speaker 2: What was it like building that trust with the artists over the years, that they knew to gain my record, really to the masses, I'm going to eat well.
Speaker 3: I mean it was always a fight because you had to fight with either. You know, Flex wanted records, then Clue wanted records, then kse Slave wanted records. Right, you know, you gotta think about all the superstars I'm naming. These are big DJs in their own right. Then you know, like, yo, we'll talk. I'm gonna talk about k Slave for a second. Out of all the DJs in the country, you know, he's one of the ones that fought for you guys. When I say fought, because you know, after a while, us DJ's got playlisted. If it first started with four records, right, the program director will come to me like enough, do your thing, but you got to play these four records in the hour, right, And then I'd be like, all right, that's not a problem. And then it went to eight records and I'm like, damn. And then it went from eight records to ten records, and then twelve and before you know it, what am I breaking? You just just tell me to play whatever you want me to play. And then that's when it started not getting fun no more. That's great because and for rating purposes, you might Okay, I'll give you a perfect example, Like you might think you hot, right because you're hearing your record on the radio and you buzzing whatever whatever. But then you put a concert together and nobody buys your ticket, nobody know the record. Oh, they don't know who you are as the artist. So then you get mad because what either the who didn't support you, to the radio station, the DJ, or maybe your record wasn't just good that's right, you know, So that happens. There's been times where records really buzz and they blow up, but it still don't connect with the audience, right, Like I'm talking about to the point where they want to go in their pocket and put out their credit card or their cash and say, all right, he goes fifty dollars, let me get a couple of tickets, that's right. Like that's the error you're talking about when you ask to do the calling where you would send the record out and people called me like do they identify that record or not?
Speaker 2: They're like nope, I'm cool, that's it. That's crazy, like thin. These kids don't even have to deal with that today.
Speaker 3: And that's the part that when you're a person coming up in radio, it hurt because you'd be like, yo, man, enough flex Angie Martinez. They're all playing off shit, but it's not working. It's the music, not my fault. It's the music. But we try. That's a fact. You know. His ability is everything at that point, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And outside of radio to me, like when I was coming up, finally crossed the bridge getting into the music business, like y'all party scenes. Gee, I don't give a fuck. Even to this day, I don't care. Camelo could put his name on a fucking rodeo. They showing up And it started from you. You created that wave and then trickled down to the family, the whole team.
Speaker 1: Like your party.
Speaker 2: I set the destination for New York where I feel like people flew in just to come to your parties.
Speaker 3: Being that big of a coach again. Shout to my sister Andie Martinez, who we had our birthday parties. Oh my god, we shut the city down, crazy bro. It was like Hoove got a rested at me and Aggie's birthday party. I'm just said, you wanted to be my birthday party. Fat Joe was trying to kill fifty yoh lots smokey yo, listen you want yeah those facts.
Speaker 1: That's right. A lot of these guys is cool now.
Speaker 3: I know the l o X, the D block dudes are trying to kill DJ who kid in the booth.
Speaker 1: This is all at your party, my party at the same night.
Speaker 3: Act cast one, he's heid chill cast one in my line, Damn.
Speaker 1: Cast set is facts, it's facts, it's real talk.
Speaker 3: Damn. So why Jay get locked up? Who he was trying to kill? I don't know who he's trying to kill. I think they probably checked this car. He might might have found he had the blinking I think had the blick.
Speaker 2: Told y'all project baby and start fucking around. Find out you fuck around, you find out what happens.
Speaker 3: Man, I get it. And we had some of the best birthday party And man, that eerror was ill. Man, you had the city going crazy by g Any party you ever broke me to was out the door so real, bro like crazy, my g It was always like back then to me, like walking into Hot ninety seven during this peak years man, Like I told you that's that's a historic. Just saying hot ninety seven just made everything us, you know, what I'm saying, going up there, stepping into the center of hip hop, it felt like damn I made it. Like I don't think it was no other radio station, no disrespect in any station that I walked in that showed love. But your son about being from New York and being invited to Hot just made everything matter to you, you know what I mean, Like, I just want to know what was the environment like for y'all from the inside a Hot I mean, it was always competitive, but you know, like I mean, we had ed Lover, we had Miss Jones, we had starn Buck Wild, we had Angie Martinez, we had Sonny Anderson. Shout out, Sonny, that's my girl, a big chef word, cooking up shit, battling everybody. Now, I'm so proud of her, you know. So the vibe was always good. I remember, you know, like as much as DJ's the power wasn't really behind the turntables, you know that right, The power was behind this. But sometimes we didn't want the headaches when it came with this, so we just wanted to do our jobs and play the good music. Yeah, so it depends like how much you wanted. But the power is this this right here, this right here. That's a fact that micase Man. You see Angie mob Voice in New York.
Speaker 2: Everybody you wanted to get your point across or get a message out, you had to go to Angie. If you were anywhere else, we didn't hear it. It was like what you said? Like what exactly? Like that's crazy, man, like that era. I missed that era of New York.
Speaker 3: Like my best radio moment was watching her and Hove on the radio all the time. They were like to Snoop and Dre of the radio right and Hope was getting mad because she can't happen to stop for commercial breaks.
Speaker 1: He's like, we're gonna pay the commerce.
Speaker 3: They he pull out the black card and told the the people at the station how much it costs for me to just talk.
Speaker 1: That's right, no more commercial I remember.
Speaker 3: That, d D yo. They just wiped all the commercials, got rid of everything. And then angim like, yo hour, who does that? Straight up? Nobody does that. I remember that history of me ever being on radio. Only him.
Speaker 2: I was like, yo, I don't want no more commer. We just go talk straight through. They can't see all the commercials. That's ill. I ain't ever think about that. No other artists did that, man, never they could do that on XM. They don't pay no ain't no real no reil commercials.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Yeah, they were based on prescriptions. That's why that's right, man, Like fucking the music industry unchanged dramatically streaming digital. Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: What was the hardest adjustment you think for you to make the transition to the new world?
Speaker 3: For me, it was this. When I first became a DJ, I just wanted to play records and I was finally good at it. I was like, Yo, I could mix these records, I could blend them, I could talk on top of them, I could cut, I could scratch. So I was through the overalls are pretty good DJ. And then I realized, you know what, I don't got no real mic game, so I had to learn the mic game. And then when the social media things started switching, it became this. So now I'm djaying and you gotta film yourself DJ, and I'm like, yo, I can't do this, yo. So I couldn't do it. But like I used to watch Camillo and Cast, they good at it. They'd be like, Yo, we're gonna be here uptown tonight and I'm over be here like, nah, man, I need my hands to keep riding that thing. But they were good at it. They'd be like, Yo, uptown tonight, we're doing this bl blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Men please popping in. You know that that's a fact.
Speaker 3: You're right. They be live like this, we live right now. It's crazy, Yo, insane. I'm like, yo, am I doing my job on the radio, on my my am, I on TikTok, And I was like almost like you have to do both, yes, at the same time at TikTok.
Speaker 2: I'm still not on TikTok because I don't know it. It's confusing. And I know that's when you know when you're old, when something like that, you'll be like, yo, it's confusing. You give it to your son and be like, show me how this ship work. But if you wanted to use it, you would figure it out. It's no real need for me to use it right now, So I'm good. Like what you think the disconnect, I would say from the younger generation now getting into the game, for the appreciation of the DJ, the lost respect of the art.
Speaker 3: I think I mean first and foremost, I think we have to re educate. Sometimes you have to reintroduce things twice in three times so people get it. Like, my son's a big time producer. I say that, right, But you know what, he understands what I'm doing behind the turntables because he's seen it. He grew up, he grew up with it, so he appreciated it. Yeah, but a lot of his friends don't get it, like, Yo, why's your dad cutting the record like that? Why's your dad slamming the record like that? Why's your dad doing this to the record. Because the kids, they live on their phones, so everything is Apple Music, Spotify, TikTok. They're getting fifteen seconds, thirty seconds of something. It's short, it's sweet, it's to the point, that's right. You know, when I first was playing my uncle's records, those records were fifteen minutes long, those old Disco and South records. They were long as a fact. They were long as half records, and it would last a whole entire year, Like if something dropped in January of twenty of nineteen seventy five, it would last to the same year nineteen seventy six. That's how it was bro a whole year. We'll go by crazy now record one week you might get what day you might get a day. Don't let iceman drop cook.
Speaker 1: We all cooked, Yo.
Speaker 2: But your son been like, I know that's a I know that's a proud pop up moment. You know what I mean To raise a young a young one first of all, keep him out the street is not It's not an easy task in itself, raising a man in this generation in need in this city of him. You know what I mean for him to be doing what he doing? You know what I mean, producing all them hits, got ice spices out there on top of the world, like she just took a lag carpet from him and made it a female carpet. I love to see it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: When I found out it, it's like, Yo, you know that's enough son, that doing all the production. I'm like you lying like word, I'm like, yeah, that's fire.
Speaker 3: You got me. He made me go back in the lab, Yo, do it again, back to making beats again. Yep, no way, I'm gonna give you some beats please. Man, Let's go, manic let's go.
Speaker 2: Man, Like, how differently you think your approach to DJ and now breaking music would be today compared to how it was back then, What would your advice be to a new like a young DJ he wanted to be like, I wanna break records.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, he gotta do it because he loves it. And then maybe he has somebody who was kind of like ahead of the curve, you know what I mean, Like to me, my son is ahead of the curve. Now, that's right, So I can always go to him and be like, Yo, who's who's moving on next? And be like, Yo, it's this guy, this influencer, that guy, this dude, you know, because he's going with the Ice Speeds and the Kai Setts and those people.
Speaker 2: They got millions and millions of followers. Yo, listen, you know we all don't know our shit. That he really plugged it. He called them consanette. We've been calling them consanat, so you know we don't know our shit. We plugged out the system. That's when you know you plugged in.
Speaker 3: You say shit, right, we be in the street, Yo, you got that Gavinci't be like no, I wear a Jivaanci.
Speaker 1: That's how you just did that, just flexed on us like damn.
Speaker 2: Nah, that's what's up though, man, shout out all the young streamers, young producers, young DJs, because they keeping it alive.
Speaker 3: Man. You know what you gotta do too for some of the old g's out there, or some of us call us old heads. Whatever, Yeah, I'm getting the got You gotta still respect the youngins man. Of course. Do you know what it felt like when you was fifteen years old listened to rap for the first time, That's right, and the old heads be like, what the hell you doing listening to that garbage?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 3: Remember that, that's right.
Speaker 1: That's why I said they hated on my error. So I would never hate on the young niggas ever.
Speaker 3: Get all if you show respect to them, of course, a little bit more respect to you, of course.
Speaker 1: I never I never.
Speaker 2: Shoot on the young niggas now, the ones I can't understand where it feels like they just it's just the beat. It's just like I don't funk with but real young spinners. Nah, I respect it, bro.
Speaker 1: I love. I love how these kids is coming up. Think about it.
Speaker 3: All real out there, it's still all it just gonna fo.
Speaker 1: You fucking kidding me?
Speaker 2: They got the kid j I d JED. I don't know if I'm like, come on, bro, you're one of my favorite dudes. Then you got the other nigga from from Kendrick Crew, what's his name? He just dropped the Blue Fake Blue Notes album, Baby King, Like, Yo, broers be stupid with.
Speaker 1: Like this ship is like I'm saying, all these guys. I just had Benny up here.
Speaker 2: I was just telling him it's like they manufacturing artists over there. An That's what I'm saying. The spinners is out here, bro. People just got to tap into the market if they want it. Like so, like, when it's all said and done, you've been through a lot. You know the history Hot ninety seven, all the drama. You know, people know what went down with Hot ninety seven. We don't got to get into that. It's platforms where they could go when everything is set and done. What you want them to say about your contribution to the coach?
Speaker 3: I mean that was fair. And then I was honest, and I was you know, I was truthful to myself bigger than anything else. And I was talking to my man Mook on the way here, right and he was like, because the thing you said that got me up here was like, yo, DG enough, what'd you say, that's my heart. I said, I love him, that's my brother. I said, ready enough radio, enough fucking with him. So so Ka said, Yo, but you're the same person. You're the same there's no there's no in between like the DJ no f from the radio and d G No the person. You guys are still the same person.
Speaker 2: But you know where I think the disconnect come from because we had a conversation, right, But I would never say what that conversation was about on it because it was personal. But I think this was at the time when Kanye and you had YO fall out. You told me a situation was like Yo, bleak, I put my all into you know what I mean, The niggas give me the ads to kids. So to do that again, I feel like I'm blaming too much on the line for nothing. Turn so I expected that, but I was. But at that time, I'm like, damn, why am I being penalized for the relationship with somebody else? Yeah, but I would never penalize you for that, not not per se like, Yo, I ain't fucking with you because of that.
Speaker 3: But I just think you didn't the.
Speaker 2: Way like the way you gave you show Kanye that love is the same way sifhe went for Rihanna.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But I just feel like after the situation went down with y'all, and you just didn't fuck with no rapper like that, not just Rockefeller, you just didn't put your all into any mc like that.
Speaker 3: That could be fair, you know what I mean. It's almost it's almost to the point where if like, you know what, don't get too invested in the artistry because you might think that you're friends, but they're not really your friends, you know. So then I started my mindset back then, was like, Yo, if they're not coming, if they're not coming over to the crib to eat on Thanksgiving, they might not be a fan, right And i'd be really your fan.
Speaker 2: So and that's what's my thing. Like I used to always try to express to all of y'all, was like, Yo, bro, I'm in the industry, but I'm not an industry. That's one thing. So I'm gonna follow the rules of life, not the rules of industry. So regardless of how anything played out, I'm gonna always be a man of my word and integrity. First, I would never look at any of them be like yo, he ain't playing my round funk. That was just bullshit me chopping it up with Syche. So I'm glad you didn't take it personally.
Speaker 3: I was that ass.
Speaker 1: Serien was because we got way too much history for that to be like to break the that's.
Speaker 2: Not gonna knock down the third little piggy house now of course, you know what I mean. We need a bigger wolf than that, like world, So what the next chapter look like?
Speaker 3: For enough? Man, I'm having a good time right now. We just launched at Heavy It is DJ's podcast, that's what something. And the premise on that is like I get to tell all my DJ story and divisions right right. We A lot of people don't know when I built Heavy it is. It's just it was just based on knowledge. I used to be in this this little article and Hits magazine and this dude named Ricky Lee used to run the magazine in this column and it was just basically he would always ask you, what's your top favorite three records of the time? Right, So the DJs in the country all had different answers. So like there was like dudes from Houston on the box or guys in Dallas or dudes from La people in Miami. All the music was different. It's not like it is today. It's kind of similar. Yeah, it was very regional, and I thought because at that time I was becoming I was becoming a nationwide disc jockey. I was working at BET, I was the DJ for one on sixt in Park Damn. I forgot about that and I hosted a show called one O six in Park Prime. The only was out for about a year or so, but that gave me a lot of light, especially in black South America. Hey what I mean? But it's like you go to Alabama, Louisiana.
Speaker 2: They knew my name, bro, that's right, and they knew it. Well, that's one thing. High ninety seven DJs. All your niggas was like rappers, straight up so good.
Speaker 3: I'd be in Shriport, Louisiana and they be like, you'll teach you enough. Like the fuck? Do you know why?
Speaker 1: I Matt, that's right.
Speaker 3: You know I'm in New Orleans enough. You know I'm in Texas, Yeah enough. I'm like, this is crazy. It major. It's so great a DJ. That's that's major. Man.
Speaker 2: It's not It's not easy, man, trust me. As many DJs I love in San Francisco. But I'm telling you a lot of my dogs in New York probably don't even know who they are, right, you know what I mean. So that's a major deal to be a DJ.
Speaker 3: Breaking cultural barriers and facts states, different countries all over like heavy hit.
Speaker 2: That's like I say, y'all all over the world. Bro shouts of the pirate DJs in the Bay something. Man, So I know you said, you know what I mean. You got the podcast, you got the book coming out. You want to elaborate when Nash dropping or anything.
Speaker 3: The book we're still working on. So I can't give you a time yet. Maybe maybe next year sometime. That's what's uping man. Now, I appreciate you pulling up e man. I appreciate you everything, my brother, you know it. Like yo, I wish you none but success.
Speaker 2: You just killed me. You told me you fifty seven. You like you fucking forty seven out here, you know what I'm saying. Still mingling with us, man, because I'm forty seven feeling like I'm thirty seven.
Speaker 1: So we got a kid.
Speaker 2: We gotta rewind the clock. We ain't going for we vintage were not old.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's a good time. That's right, man, we here, man, you know what it is. You know what This is the thirtieth anniversary of Reasonable Doubt. Right, we're doing the Jay thirty. You got anything you will want to say about his contribution to the You know about Reasonable Doubt thirty years later? Bro, I can't even imagine that should sound funny saying thirty years reasonable doubt.
Speaker 3: Yo, I'm gonna drop. I'm gonna drop something that's it's not reasonable bout doubt it. But I'm gonna give you a fun fact. So I do this thing. We just started it on our podcast called Believe It or Not? Right, Remember that song Reservoir Dogs? All right, Okay, if it wasn't for it wasn't for Big Spanish DG enough, I don't think Reservoir Dogs would have happened, No fucking way. I'll tell you why. So I was doing the morning show at the time of the radio. Right, there's a gentleman who worked on the other side of the radio on BLS or Kiss. His name was Isaac Hayes. Right. The sample to the Reservoir Dogs was Sir mister Isaac Hayes aka Black Moses. I'm having my big and egg and cheese. He's drinking like some healthy honey, cayenne pepper, lemon fasting. He's doing some fast and he talks to me, you know, jay Z, I'm like, yeah, he's about to be the biggest thing in the world. Why what's up? He wants some sample my baby? What baby? My shaft? Because the sample for resid wal doll is a shaft, right, And he was like, you know that one of an Academy award for Grammy or this or that. He's breaking down all the accolades and he was like, he wants to sample my baby. I said, Isaac, you gotta let him do it because he's one of the hottest dudes in the street. He's gonna take it to a space and maybe you'll be proud of him for doing that. Yeah. Yeah, so go sign that. Wow.
Speaker 2: Little things like that, that's crazy it or not, believe it or not. And Jay, That's that's dope, man, you know what I mean? Like I said, reasonable thout thirty years. I mean, I've been in the game thirty years. I'm an old young ass nigga.
Speaker 3: Man. Niggas ain't got nothing knowing me, man.
Speaker 2: He like I said, Bro, I appreciate you man always showed love. Like I said, one of the staples of New York hip hop party sing. When you go to these parties in New York City, y'all created that wave.
Speaker 3: I believe that we're still going my g especially additional rock dation have em Marie, thank you, my brother.
Speaker 1: You already know man, You already know who the fam is.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: It's rock solid and when they see him mean one thing, they solid too know what it is. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows at and you can follow me on any social media platform under the name Memphis Bleach.
Speaker 1: You see anybody fraud and flag him