Speaker 1: Monday morning, March eighteenth, twenty twenty four. It is the Beating the Book podcast, March Madness Megapod. It's skill Alexander. This is about as good as it gets. Let's put it this way. Last year's March March Madness megapod was about as great as it got. Todd wishing to Will Hill, Jeff Pearls and I did this show last year. Will Hill picked fau Florida Atlantic to get to the final four. Toddy picked Ukonda beat San Diego State in the finals. He also had Michigan State advancing far. It was unbelievable. If you go back and listen, it was just incredible. They joined me again. Everybody but Parlay, Will Hill and Todd do we bring him in from their respective homes? Will Hill, how you doing? Man? You good?
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 3: Not sure why we're doing this podcast. We pretty much did it last night. Todd transcribed the entire podcast. Every time of the bracket would come out with another matchup, he'd give us a side a total derivative.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if it's got to read those texts and we can move on. But yeah, excited, good to see you guys.
Speaker 1: Why don't I just call you like you said, Why don't I just copy and paste that somewhere and we don't even have to do this show. There you go. Todd wished it from his mom's cork attic in Pittsburgh, PA. How you doing, man?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: Last year's tournament bracket cost me thirty five thousand because I forgot to, or I didn't forget. I didn't There was a sports book that I usually would enter the brackets too, that I'd been limited at, and then I didn't realize, well, I could always still enter their brackets for one hundred dollars, and because I didn't, I would.
Speaker 4: Have ended up second place and it cost me thirty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: So that was probably my greatest performance ever in brackets. This year, I will be horrendous, I am sure, So fade me like crazy, just like my friend Gilly the Iceman had the greatest NFL megapod season of all time this past year and next year, you can fade him religiously.
Speaker 4: Because he is due to go down hard as am.
Speaker 1: I thank you so much. Uh yeah, we should point.
Speaker 4: Out that wasn't against you, that was against both of us.
Speaker 1: You know, we should we should point out that is that really was the biggest takeaway. First of all, Will, by the way, the host of the should Have Bet More podcast, Uh, Todd the star of the Showtime Action Showtime docuseries Action among both of these guys. Both these guys, of course, really big stars on the megapod, though that's the football megapod. Will also does the bear bet spot over at Fox Sports with Chris Filica. Yes, that was the big thing from last year. Despite the fact that I said twice on this very podcast while we recorded, it's actually on there where I'm like, hey, Todd, your bracket is such that it's so wacky, you should probably enter one of these big tournaments, one of these big tournament pools. You uh drove to Arizona to actually make bets and neglect it to actually enter it, and then as the tournament went. We never did a follow up podcast, but we've talked about it many times since. When we finally got to the end, Doug Wedge, who listened to this show last year, one of our listeners, uh really nice guy, told us that he finished in second largely because he listened to what you guys, what your picks were, and then the horror show began. And this was really, by the way, Doda's downplaying a little, because we really got worried that you would have won it and would have won a million dollars. And in fact, when you first brought it up to me as your friend, I was terrified for this outcome because if you had neglected to put in picks that would have won you a million dollars. I don't know how you could have been consoled, and so thankfully you only cost yourself thirty five thousand by finishing. You would have finished second, and that was I would just say, the greatest thirty five thousand dollars that you could have ever lost, because thank god it wasn't a million. I guess it's what I'm saying. What do you think if you had if you had if you would have won it and not put in the picks, do you think you would like? What do you think what would your reaction have been?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm day to day on life as it is in regular situations. So now you tell me, oh, I have a freaking bracket sitting on my desk that I didn't put in because I didn't realize I should just put one hundred dollars in that book.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't care whether I was in the brackets or not. I would have lost my mind and.
Speaker 5: I probably would not be here today, which probably, you know, might be a good thing, because I could come to you in a dream and give you all the picks, you know, and then you'd be you'd be the greatest sports gambler of all time.
Speaker 4: And Gilly would be like, well, I'm just really good at this, and wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Be telling anybody that he'd be receiving all the picks through dreams or dreams.
Speaker 1: Because Todd wishnev is a is a documented one bajillion thousand, quintillion and oh when he thinks of a pick and doesn't play it, I believe it's the actual documentary record. All right, before we're going to do bracket by bracket, we're any reason by reason we're going to do because Todd, I thought you had a great suggestion last year. You don't want to do final fours like everybody else. Let's do the final eights, right who's beating who in every regional final just to make it a little more interesting, and we're gonna get who You're gonna advance in your bracket who you would have ats before we do that. We didn't do this last year for whatever reason. I do this on a numbers game all the time. I didn't do it on the megapod. So I want to start by just doing this college basketball formula that I do on the radio side each and every year. The point of this exercise is that as crazy as the first couple rounds and into the you know, the Sweet sixteen is, in terms of upsets in a normal college basketball and in a normal NCAA tournament, that picking the ultimate champion often is much more simple. And so these six criteria, and I've done this on the show, and I'll just do it here on the megapod. Last thirty three champs had more assists than turnovers. Okay, that's pretty simple. Thirty one of the last thirty three champs had a head coach with Sweet Sixteen experience prior to this tournament. The only exceptions twenty fourteen Yukon Huskies with Kevin Ali as their head coach sabbet. That was the Shabbaz Napier led version of the Yukon Huskies, not the Kemba Walker led version. And then last year Danny Hurley of the Yukon Huskies twenty twenty three Yukon Champs. He hadn't had any Sweet sixteen experience as a head coach. Twenty seven of the last twenty eight went into the tournament with at least three wins versus teams in the top ten percent of RPI. That's how long I've been doing this formula that we use RPI. The only exception the twenty fourteen Yukon Huskies. You will notice a pattern with that team. Last twenty eight champs had a top seventy five strength of schedule. That's off in dicey for teams like Houston through the years, but it is for like a duke. This year, twenty of the last twenty one champs were in the top twenty in adjusted offensive efficiency at ken Palm. The only exception of the twenty fourteen Yukon Huskies. Once again, they were thirty ninth in adjusted offense that year. And the only non Yukon exception to this is the final criteria, which is twenty of the last twenty one champs were in the top twenty and adjusted defensive efficiency n Palm. That was the twenty twenty one Baylor Bears, who finished number twenty two in adjusted defensive efficiency. Now, the only thing that can adjust it during the tournament are the Ken Pom numbers. As we head into the Big Dance. Here are the four teams that qualify to win it all based on that formula, Yukon, Houston, Arizona, and Auburn. Yukon, Houston, Arizona and Auburn just on the outside looking in, and they might be able to play their way in Marquette twenty first in adjusted offensive efficiency at Ken Palm nineteenth in defense, and Purdue fourth in offense, twenty first in adjusted defensive efficiency. Then a little further out unc Tennessee, Creighton and Duke Duke. By the way, John Shire hasn't been to a Sweet sixteen, so he'd have to buck that as well. So that's what the formula says in terms of an eventual champion. Does that sound about right to you, Todd when you hear.
Speaker 5: That, Yeah, I mean any of the team. I mean, obviously, I think Yukon's the best team. I think everyone won agree with that. But you know, anything can happen in these games, and you know, I think Yukon got absolutely destroyed on the brackets. I think the brackets are There's one really really tough bracket and then three ridiculously easy brackets.
Speaker 4: So it's not even close.
Speaker 5: In my opinion, I cannot believe how they did this, and I usually am not one who finds it interesting all the seating arguments, but this one is just just absolutely egregious.
Speaker 4: Along with Saint John's not being in Willie, I'm sure you agree with me.
Speaker 2: Completely.
Speaker 3: I mean, Ken Palm's not the be all end all, but it is pretty damn well respected, and the committee just didn't seem to care. I mean, what forty four spot discrepancy between Saint John's and Virginia. How Dukenes and eleven Now nobody cares about Duquine eleven seed. But that's just laziness. That's just Sunday a year.
Speaker 4: It's talking about the Duke King Dukes. We're here in Pittsburgh and we're loving that club.
Speaker 5: Usually we get the Panthers, the pitt Panthers down there, but this year we have the Bluffets a Duke kne Dukes. I don't like when you're talking bad about my Duke Cane Dupes in that.
Speaker 1: In that by the way, to your point, and you're right, and Todd is not a person who gives a damn about these kinds of non betting narratives about seedings and stuff. So the fact that it bothers you is a huge thing. And that was pretty much the consensus narrative from yesterday that Yukon the number one overall seed and let's do it. Will you brought up Ken Palm, these are the other and I'll do it top twenty four teams in Kenpom because Saint John's, who did not get invited to the tournament is twenty fifth. So it's a it's a nice sort of breaking point. So here's who Yukon has in their region. Twenty first in Ken Palm, San Diego State, fourth in Ken Palm, Auburn, sixteenth in Ken Palm BYU, tenth in Ken Palm, Illinois, fifth in Ken Palm, Iowa State, all of those in their region. Now, the committee chair was like, hey, they got to pick where they played, and then it comes a travel thing for the other teams. Contrast that we won't do the others all of the others. But contrast that would say, who's in the Midwest perdue the third overall number one seed. Here's who they have Ken Palm top twenty four in their region ready for this, Number fifteen, Gonzaga, number twenty two, Kansas, number eleven, Creighton, and number seven Tennessee. That's it. So it's fewer of the top twenty four in Ken Palm that are even in their region and not as good. So that's sort of quantifying any Kempom numbers.
Speaker 5: I mean, how can Yukon have to play Auburn in the sweet sixteen. That's just incredibly unfair. I mean, last year I had my one future ticket was Yukon twenty two to one, and of course it won. This year, I took them again eleven to one in December again, and now I feel like there's no way they're gonna win.
Speaker 4: It's just too hard. Auburn's there, Illinois, Iowa State.
Speaker 1: It's been absurd, isn't Auburn. Auburn specifically is the one that the committee miss seems to have miss ranked or misjudged more than any because if you look at just the futures markets, right, Yukon is four to one to win the whole tournament, Houston is five to one, Perdue is six to one. After that, it's all double digit. It starts with Arizona at twelve to one, Carolina fourteen to one, and then Auburn fifteen to one. So Auburn is the sixth shortest shot on the board. Auburn and Tennessee bo sixteen to one, six shortest shot in the entire country on the board to win it all. They're number four in Ken Palm and the committee has them as a number four seed. So that's just you know, off the charts. Yeah, that's crazy. That's the big headline from selections Sunday anyway, and I think most agree with that. And the other thing is the Saint John's of the world in the Indiana States of the world, who who didn't get invited as at large as thirty two auto bids thirty six at large. As part of that was because and they were correct in this, there were five bids stolen. Five bids were just stolen in terms of how things shook out this past week. And you know that right there makes it difficult for even teams that were on the bubble that had a shot to even have a chance of this because NC State stole have been in the ACC one hundred to one odds to win the ACC Tournament. They got it done. Five wins in five days, more wins at the Capitol One Arena than the Wizards have had all year there. Oregon Stole have been in the PAC twelve, New Mexico in the Mountain West, Uab and Ducaine were the others. So you have like the Saint John's of the world who immediately said, well, we're not even going to the NIT and that has a lot to do with the transfer portal at being at the timing of all that now. So like, I don't even know if the niit can exist in the same way that it always did, because why would you play if you don't even know if your players are coming or going? You know, so interesting interesting in that regard bracket strategy real quick, for you know, the four tenants of bracket strategy before we get into this bracket by bracket Jason Lisk and Tom Federico did a great job of this back at Team ranking. If you are entering brackets, and I know most of you are, tens of millions of Americans are four tenants. Four tenants because there's nine point two quintillion variations of how you can fill out a bracket, so you need an edge over your competition. One, understand your scoring system. If you are in a traditional pool that scores a two, four, eight, sixteen, thirty, two, sixty four, you got to prioritize who's in the final four, who's in the championship game, who's in the finals. Upsets really don't matter that early. It doesn't matter. Just get the back end right. But if you're in an upset rewarded pool, go crazy picking thirteen's over fours and twelves over fives and fourteens over threes, because if you get the fourteen over three, not only do you get that point or two points or whatever it is your traditional scoring system, but you also get the fourteen minus three the additional eleven points. So just go crazy if you're in an upset rewarded pool, So know your scoring system. Second one is a cess risks and value. We talk about this in NFL Survivor. ESPN is a great resource for knowing who's what percentage of people are picking. What be contrarian to some degree. Don't go contrarian on everything. Assess risk and value, but know what teams are underpicked. In other words, and go with that third thing, adjust strategy for pool size. The smaller the pool, the more conservative. You have ten people in your pool, pick favorites. If you have ten thousand, you gotta pick tons of upsets because you're not gonna win it otherwise. So adjust the strategy for your pool size. And the other one is avoid the quote unquote golden rules. Again. Shout out to Jason Lisk and Tom Federico. You'll hear this in mainstream media. Oh, twelve five games. Oh you gotta pick twelves. There's nothing magical about being a twelve seed, Like, don't pay attention to that noise. Do your handicapping, do your power rankings. So understand your scoring system, assess risk and value. Just strategy for pool size, avoid the Golden rules. All right, y'all ready to do this racket by bracket?
Speaker 2: I thought we were done. Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Sorry this was too long for you. All right, let us begin with the East region. This is Yukon Region. They're the number one overall seed. They're playing Stetson. The Hatters of Stetson are the Atlantic Sun Tournament champs. They're the number sixty four overall seed and their first NCAA appearance. Yukon with the highest offensive efficiency in D one one point two to three points per possession, third straight defending champ to get a number one seed. I assume you're all advancing Yukon in your brackets. Are you playing the spread, which is the biggest spread on the board of all the round of sixty four games twenty six and a half? Anything here?
Speaker 2: It would be Yukon or pass. I haven't played it yet, though, Dotty, anything there.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not playing a pregame.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, that game's Friday in Brooklyn, as is this one? Winner of that game, assuming it's Yukon take the We'll play the winner of the eight to nine game between Florida Atlantic Tip Florida Atlantic and Northwestern. I get excited about Florida Atlantic because of course, uh this was Will's team last year o Booie in Northwestern bo Bowie won of four D one players with nineteen plus points game of five plus a sisper game. Florida Atlantic remains a bit of a favorite here, slight favorite in this game, Todd, did you who are you advancing? And did you play anything on the spread here?
Speaker 5: I'm very interested in playing North through I know everyone you know yesterday on the text, you know, Feedswick was making fun of me because I was saying Northwestern's good and everything, and I like Northwestern over FAU, mostly because I think FAU is not good.
Speaker 4: FAU all.
Speaker 5: Now, early in the season, I was up on FAU in the non conference, but in the conference they were underwhelming, and I like Northwestern.
Speaker 4: I like boo boo ye.
Speaker 5: I like scrappy ass, you know, defensive minded, you know, guard play in the in the NCAA tournament. So I would not be shocked at all if Northwestern beats FAU.
Speaker 1: Will FAU favorite by two? Here I should say, as we do this Monday morning.
Speaker 3: How FA you got an e C two? Is perplexing because if you just aside from the Arizona when they do not have a lot of really impressive wins, the resume is not impressive. Coin foot game, obviously, I'll go with FAU. I just I do think there's more of an upside than they've shown. I think there was a little bit of a boredom this year after, like, let's face it, they were a second away from making the national title game. They really let that game against San Diego State get away. I just I like your guard play. I think they have enough offense. Northwestern really shot over their skis a lot of big ten play.
Speaker 2: I think there's some regression that we've seen, so I'll go with Florida Atlantic to advance.
Speaker 1: Nothing like that, all right, San Diego State. Those games, by the way, we're in Brooklyn on Friday. These are also on Friday, but these are in Spokane, Washington in the East Region, because nothing says East Regional more than Spokane, Washington. Five twelve game between San Diego State and UAB. The Blazers were sixteen to one pre flop to win the American Athletic Tournament CHAM tournament, and they did, becoming the champs there. They killed us because we all wanted Temple to get there. But what can you do? San Diego State is Aztecs are a five and a half point favorite here, make it six and a half as I look at it right now, will anything here?
Speaker 3: I think San Diego State will pull out the win. I wouldn't be shocked if they lost. I like you AB plus the points. I think that opened seven and a half or six and a half. I can see a close game. I just think San Diego State has enough defense tire to advance, so UAB plus the points. But I'll pick San Diego State to win, Doddy.
Speaker 5: I would do you AB first half, maybe, Willie, because there's been a lot of games San Diego State kind of comes out a little sketchy and then really turns it on in the second half. So if I, like, if I was going to play the dog pregame, I might play them first half as opposed to game.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that makes sense to you, guys.
Speaker 1: And Todd, you brought that up last year on this show, cracked it earlier this last week, I should say on the radio side, but playing dogs in the round of sixty four is often a first half thing as opposed to a full game thing. Right, That has been tried and true through the years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because sometimes these teams have about thirty or thirty five minutes in them and then they fall apart late.
Speaker 1: All right, winner of that game. Also in Spokane on Friday, takes on the winner of the Auburn Yale game Auburn number four. As we mentioned Ken Palm twenty seven and seven on the air, Bruce Pearl, Baby, let's get a leaflet to the championship here taking on Yale IVY League tournament champs, and by tournament I mean four teams, all five starters for Yale averaging ten plus points per game. Auburn big favorites here Todd thirteen point favorites. To be exact, you're advancing Auburn. Would you play the would you play the number here at all?
Speaker 5: Nope, I'd advance Auburn. Yale might be able to hang with them in the first half. You know, Auburn just came off the SEC tournament win and so you know, maybe they'll just be sleepwalking and thinking, oh, we can just kill this Yale team. Yale got a miracle to get in because they were the best team in the IVY League, but they should have lost. They were down six with twenty seven seconds left the Brown somehow they pulled that one out. But Yale is actually a pretty good team, you know, and they're gonna they're gonna be smart. So they're gonna they're gonna, I'm sure they're gonna slow it down and try to garbage it up.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Obviously they're not gonna be good enough probably to beat Auburn, but maybe they could hang for the first half.
Speaker 1: Like we haven't seen IVY League schools do big things in the tournaments before. Tom about you Princeton, will any thoughts here?
Speaker 3: I will take Yale plus the point. I will take Yale to advance. I think they can redown and I think they can defend flow the game down a little bit, like you said, very lucky, I mean down six with what twenty four seconds to go, not only a win, but win regulation. But this is a good team and they're a smart team. Auburn they can be a little helter skelter sometimes, so Okay, it's obviously a major athleticism advantage for Auburn, like Todd said, if they can hang around who knows, Auburn get a little tighty here.
Speaker 2: I'll take Yale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yale's down four, they hit a three, then fouled, kid miss two free throws, and they hit a seven footer or to win the game. Okay. Other side of the East Region Thursday in Omaha, six eleven game between BYU, last turning win for them in twenty twelve. They're number sixteen in campon They're against the eleven seeded Dukine Dukes. Todd from Pittsburgh first NCAA appearance for Duke Kyne since nineteen hundred seventy and seven. They were fourteen and fourteen to one to win the A ten tournament. Pardon me, fourteen to one to win the A ten tournament. Say that three times fast. Norm Nixon was their point guard in nineteen seventy seven. I believe, BYU, I.
Speaker 4: Don't saying that. I think Norm Nixon was already in NBA. Are youin' sure about that down there?
Speaker 1: Oh? Maybe not? Maybe you're right, let me check.
Speaker 5: I think it was BB Flannery and Bruce Atkins in that. I was Tanyans guys on text yesterday and my dad used to take me to the Pitt du Cane games all the time when I was seven eight nine years old, and there would be like a fight on the court like almost every game.
Speaker 4: It was incredible.
Speaker 1: Norm Nixon was Norm Nixon was a senior on that team. He was drafted. He was drafted right after that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, yeah, well the old Eastern eight Ducane that was the last time they were able to get into the NCAA tournament. By the way, Ducaine's not bad. They're really not bad at all. And the coach is good. The I hate this matchup for them because I think BYU is going to be a little too much for them. But I know Willy was saying, you know that being the eleven seed is a little ridiculous, and that's probably true, but I'm you know, don't sleep on them.
Speaker 4: They can They can play a.
Speaker 5: Gritty defensive style and possibly pull the upset. BYU basically has three point shooting galore. So we all know an NCA tournament games sometimes in these venues that these teams don't play in, typically three point shooting can go what we would call a rye, and then you're a three point shooting team, you know, like BYU is, and all of a sudden you have a bad shooting game and Ducaine's beating you up and stuff. Who knows, maybe Dukine could hang with BYU.
Speaker 1: BYU favored by nine by the way, BYU, who only knows how to play one way, just hoisting threes. So if they're way up or if they're way down, you know a run's coming either way either from their if they're both from their opponent, whether they're down or ahead of BYU, you're advancing BYU here will yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Age is going to be too much for decane now. They just have too much offense here. For BYU, I.
Speaker 3: Think they'll be up with outscore. I'm looking ahead too. If it is BYU Illinois, my goodness, who's getting stops in that game?
Speaker 2: What does that total look like?
Speaker 4: Toddy?
Speaker 1: Geez?
Speaker 4: One hundred and ninety eight?
Speaker 1: Are you playing the number at all? Here? Will no b YU favored by nine?
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't like laying points with them because I don't know how many stops they're gonna get. But they're gonna have too much offense. I'd be surprised that they lost this game, all right.
Speaker 1: Winner of that. Also Thursday in Omaha will take on the aforementioned Illinois fighting a lion I number ten and Ken Palm. They're the third seed in this region against number fourteen Morehead State. The Eagles won the Ohio Valley Tournament. Illinois a big favorite in this.
Speaker 5: Whether I have some more head notes for you? You know some of these teams that nobody's of, like Morehead State. Morehead State played four teams in the top one hundred on Ken Palm. They played BAMA, Purdue, and Penn State and were blown out in all three of those games. They also played Indiana, which is like ninetieth or something in Ken Palm, and they lost sixty nine to sixty eight. But when they played anybody halfway decent, they got absolutely blown to bits.
Speaker 1: And Illinois's at twelve and a half point favorite. Here. By the way, I love when you come prepared. You did this last year too, Toddy with certain teams, So thank you for that. So no, you're certainly not based on what you just said, you're certainly not taking morehead state to advance. Would you consider that plus the points.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna do it. Here's the thing with Illinois. Illinois doesn't stop anybody, but they're impossible to stop that The mask just like just literally backs you down and you can't stop him. He plays like jcccyo basketball and he just backs and down.
Speaker 1: And then that.
Speaker 5: Shannon is just unbelievable in the open court. You know that he may have some issues with ladies, however on the court he is quite outstanding.
Speaker 4: They don't stop anybody.
Speaker 5: So Illinois is a great over kind of team. If you if the game starts going up and down, just bet the over because Illinois just won't stop anybody. In the score every single time.
Speaker 1: Todd, who compared himself to Terren Shannon Junior yesterday via text, saying that he would back down me and Stevie Feszick and just Bank shot us to death, and then I proceeded to murder him for the next hour about Terrence Shannon Junior comparisons which Todd Todd is the smartest guy in the world, but when it comes to text, he has a little trouble interpreting humor on texts.
Speaker 5: Fascinating care well, I didn't like getting compared to a possible a legend rapist.
Speaker 4: You know that's a little rough.
Speaker 1: But you will any thoughts on this one?
Speaker 3: I texted in the group chat yesterday Morehead plus thirteen and a half, where I got yelled at by Fez for not giving a rotation number.
Speaker 2: But I do think Morehead plays slow, plays good defense.
Speaker 3: They got a couple of guards, like todd'said, Illinois doesn't get many stops. I think we're looking at a close game here, so I'll take you one order advance.
Speaker 2: I'll take more Head to cover though.
Speaker 1: This is by the way, how do you like this from's just texted? He goes, I'll explain why later, but you've gotten screwed. And then I'm like, what he hasn't responded to me that love text?
Speaker 5: Like that he doesn't read text. He's he's on transmit, not received.
Speaker 4: Understand.
Speaker 1: That's right, it's only outgoing. There's no incoming, all right, Thursday Way Morehead.
Speaker 5: Also Morehead to play slow, so you never know they might be able to You know, a lot of times you have these teams that are like running gun teams, play against a really slow team and then all of a sudden it's just not happening for them because it's just such a slow game. So that if you're going to go against Illinois, this is the kind of team to go against them with because they're a slow down team.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a great point. So that's Peter Keating used to be at ESPN. Now he's at and then he was at the Athletic and I think he does stuff for DraftKings now. But he used to do a segment called Giant Killers with his buddy Jordan Brenner where they went through the carecteristics of what really comprises a giant killer potentially in the Big Dance, And one of those big things was what you just said, Todd, which is a team that plays super slow that limits the number of possessions and therefore mitigates the talent disadvantage by minimizing the number of possessions. Makes sense.
Speaker 5: Plus you can also frustrate the other team as well, because if they're not you know, so it's two it's twofold.
Speaker 1: Twofold exactly. Thursday Final a couple of games in this bracket in this region Thursday, Omaha, where a lower seed is the favorite, although this is really a pick them. Drake, the Bulldogs of Drake, the Missouri Valley Tournament champs, the ten seed twenty eight and six on the ear, are taking on number seven Wazoo, Wazoo's first NCAA appearance since two thousand and eight. Drake. I had it as a pick them yesterday. One of my singing right now, in this ballgame, Drake is a Yeah, Drake is a one and a half point favorite as the lower seed, Todd. Any who advances any.
Speaker 5: Play this is just so pointing like this. This is the bracket in a nutshell. They screwed everything for us this year. You have two teams that I wanted to both bet on Wazoo and Drake. I like both of those teams, and now they're playing each other. So now what am I gonna do? I'm stuck having to take one of these teams when I like both of these teams. I'm gonna take Wazoo to advance. But you know, Drake is pretty good.
Speaker 4: So I'd be very scared in this game. Willie.
Speaker 3: I was surprised Washington State hadn't made it since two thousand and eight, so they never made it those Klay Thompson years, which surprises me. I like Drake last year against Miami. They burned me in Miami. We went on to the final four. It's a toss up game. Obviously, I'll go with Drake here.
Speaker 2: I like Devreez.
Speaker 3: I was impressed with them against Indiana State. Should be a down to the wire game. I'll go with Drake and a toss up nothing I bet though.
Speaker 1: All right. Winner of that game will take on also Thursday at Omaha Number two Iowa State versus number fifteen South Dakota State, the jack Rabbits Summit Tournament champs. They're on an eight game win streak. The Cyclones are number five and Ken Palm twenty one. Points per game off turnovers for Iowa State the most in D one. Iowa State's a big favorite here in this game, obviously, sixteen and a half point favorite. South Dakota State is one of these teams though, that people love to talk about. Will. We'll start with you on this. What do you got.
Speaker 3: Iowa State to advance? Maybe maybe South Dakota State. If you're looking to play and you're playing for the first half, they might be able to hang for a half or so. I saw them playing the title game. Not a bad team.
Speaker 2: Todd probably has more on them than I do, but Iowa State would advance. Don't expect an upset here, Dotty.
Speaker 5: By the way, just before we go on to South Dakota State, Drake crushed on Nevada in the preseason, a good Nevada team, so that's the other Drake's good. So that's a scary, you know game again. But anyways, what you're saying now in South Dakota State against Iowa State, obviously I think Iowa.
Speaker 4: State is going to advance.
Speaker 5: I mean South Dakota State played some top one hundred teams early in the season. Kansas State, they got drilled UCF they played him tough on a neutral and George Mason, who's ninety six, they played tough on a neutral. But you know, I mean, Iowa State's just gonna just suffocate them. So you know a lot of times also as far as on a point spread basis, what's the point spread in this game?
Speaker 4: Sixteen and a half?
Speaker 5: Okay, if you're going to take a big favorite in a point spread, probably better to take a defensive team like Iowa State in the sense that they're going to try to suffocate the other team and not score a lot, and you might have a better chance of covering a bigger number than maybe like an offensive team that's like a twenty two point favorite doesn't care at the end or something like that. You know, to me, I feel like you have a little more value there, but maybe it maybe I'm wrong about it.
Speaker 1: Just to clarify, you're staying a team like Iowa State, you're saying the favorite to cover in those in that pertenies.
Speaker 4: You're going to take.
Speaker 5: If you're going to take a favorite at a big number sixteen, sixteen and a half, I.
Speaker 4: Think it is.
Speaker 5: The nice thing about Iowa stated their strength is the other team can't score, so you can have like eight minute swaths of time where the other team doesn't score and you can you know, possibly roll up a big number and then even at the end, they're not going to necessarily let off the gas with their defense.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's just some think about so so.
Speaker 3: They don't score, they don't score the basketball, because yesterday I heard on that bracketology show a lot of teams that could score the basketball as opposed to teams that couldn't score the basketball.
Speaker 1: Who started? Who started?
Speaker 5: If you're in the offensive coordinators room, some of those guys can score the basketball.
Speaker 1: Hey where a steel? When your Stiller's got Russell Wilson and Justin Field? Didn't that improve their quarterback room in the building? Didn't that improve it?
Speaker 4: I like, I like our room. I think our room is looking real nice in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, who started to score of the basketball? Thing? Billis not sure? Just drives me nuts.
Speaker 2: You're ll have to get research on that.
Speaker 1: To score the basketball? Did you have anything? Iowa States out to go to State Wilton, we were to do that anything?
Speaker 3: Oh, I would say, if you're going to play South Dakota State, maybe playing first half they can hang for a little bit, But South Dakota.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have a tone on this.
Speaker 1: All right, that's the East region. So again, if you're in an upset rewarded pool, for instance, maybe take a flyer on Drake into ten to seven. Maybe, if you like what Will said, take a flyer on Yale in a thirteen to four. I know some of these sound crazy, but if you're trying to win a pool like that, you gotta do stuff like that. So Yale beating you.
Speaker 5: Guys like San Diego State versus Auburn, if two of those teams advanced, to me, that is just going to be a war of a game.
Speaker 1: Are you as high this year on San Diego State as you were last year?
Speaker 4: A touch lower? I don't think there's good as last.
Speaker 1: Year A touch lower. Okay, we'll get into everybody's elite a coming up, including mine. That's the East. Winner of the East bracket takes on the winner of the West bracket Thursday in Charlotte, North Carolina will take on the winner of the play in game, or as they like to call it, the first four game between Howard and Wagner. The Bison won the MEAC. Bryce Harris leads their team in points per game, rebounds per game, steels per game. They also have a twenty six year old player on that team. What's my man's name. It's just gaming me now, Seth Towns Towns.
Speaker 4: It was just to be in the IVY League.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he played where he played at Harvard and then Ohio State and now at Howard.
Speaker 4: Wagner is really tough to watch.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you've ever watched a Wagner game, but it is really tough to watch.
Speaker 1: Wagner was twenty to one to win the Northeast Tournament and they did so. Yeah. One of the Wagner is like sixteen and fifteen on the season they were.
Speaker 4: They're a slow down team.
Speaker 5: They're like a complete slow down team and they can't score at all, but they play good defense in the game is like literally walk it up.
Speaker 4: It's exactly. It's just hard to watch.
Speaker 1: Howard is a three point favorite in the first play in game, the first and the first four against Wagner. Would you play that game at all? Howard three point favorites over Wagner.
Speaker 4: I don't want to have part of it.
Speaker 3: I've heard Howard's campus is quite the have quite the advantage will be a big money line favorite.
Speaker 1: Yes, it would, It absolutely would. Trust me. Anyway, I assume you have North Carolina advancing no matter who who wins. That I shouldn't assume that since a sixteen be to one last year again in the Sea, that.
Speaker 4: Was only because had Purdue.
Speaker 1: That was only because Vezek had Purdue. But he's already firing. He already said he had a couple huge money lines right already.
Speaker 4: Well why not? Why why not? Why not double down?
Speaker 1: Well, more importantly, why not double down publicly? I think is the real key winner of North Carolina versus Howard Wagner winner also Thursday and Charlotte, we'll take on the winner of the eight to nine game. This is actually the game that starts off March Madness Thursday morning. This is the first tip between Mississippi State the eight seed in Michigan State, Sparty tom Izzo the ninth seed. No surprise, Sparty. Actually the lower seed is a tick of a favorite in this by a point. Todd, you love tom Izzo anything here?
Speaker 5: I love Tom Mizzo, but I have to go against him because I like Mississippi State.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 5: This is why my bracket is going to be horrible this year. There's no chance I'm gonna do well. I took the Mississippi State and I hate having to do it, just like in the Drake Wazoo game, I hate having to make a pick.
Speaker 4: But I took Mississippi State to advance.
Speaker 3: Really, I'm sure people are gonna pick Michigan State here just on reflex, just on the reputation of Izzo in that program. I'm with Todd. I'm going to Mississippi State. I like that team. I think Mississippi State advances here all right, Friday, Mississippi State. Just so you know, they beat Auburn, they beat Tennessee. I mean that's not bad, right, then they beat Tennessee again. They also beat Wazoo early in the season. Northwestern. I mean, this team has some.
Speaker 5: Real wins, and they're they're that kind of real gritty, like, you know, just muck it up garbage, you know, kind of team that does well in the NCTATE tournament.
Speaker 4: So I'm going with them.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you would bet them preflop. As a guy who doesn't really love pre flop.
Speaker 5: Betting, well, I don't like pre flopping. I don't want to go against is. That's the other scary part. But you know, I mean again, this is this is I hate this bracket because they just made all the teams that I want to go against go against those teams.
Speaker 1: It does suck when that happens. January February is oh, we'll see Friday and Spokane. This is actually Spokane in the Western region where they belong. Number five. Saint Mary's the Gails number twenty in Ken Palm taking on Grand Canyon. The Antelopes were twenty nine and four this year, the whack regular season and tournament champs. Saint Mary's, though, is a what are they a five and a half point favorite? An ear Todd. We'll start with you on this.
Speaker 5: I mean, Grand Canyon is going to be a lot of people's you know, pick here.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: The Grand Canyon beat San Diego State in the non conference early in the year. They also beat a good San Francisco team that was seventieth in Ken Palm this year. Grand Canyon is for real. Saint Mary's is a team I really like. Again, we're in a situation where I hate having to pick someone. I picked the upset here and took Grand Canyon, you know, but you know, it's hard to go against it. Team like Saint Mary's is just so well coached and and they're gonna, you know, they're gonna play defense, they're gonna play slow. Although just to keep in mind, Saint Mary's in the in the preseason was not that great. They had five losses in the early games. I believe they were three wins and five losses and finished twenty six and seven. They lost to Utah, Boise State, Xavier, and San Diego State early in the season, so maybe they're.
Speaker 4: Not as good. Although late in the year they they you know, they won the.
Speaker 5: West Coast Conference Tournament by beating Gonzaga, But I don't know, just because of that non conference, you know, scuffling early in the year.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm taking Grand Canyon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Saint Mary's did beat Gonzaga, and what I believe is the one thousand, four hundred and fifth matchup between Saint Mary's and Gonzaga in the West Coast Conference Tournament championship, they.
Speaker 4: Beat him twice this year.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to the Orleans for a tournament, Todd and partake it in their burrito bowls?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I've never had the Brita Bowl, but I have sung the.
Speaker 4: Dude, well you ate agreadable.
Speaker 1: That was do the mister bright Side do it again? Real?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't do it. Well, I'm doing it going to North Texas?
Speaker 1: Anything Grand can you Saint Mary's will.
Speaker 3: This is in Alan Boston special. He always talks about this and drives them crazy. Where they put the two teams underrated mid makers and they have one of them bump off the other. I certainly wouldn't lay the points here. Wouldn't be shocked at Grand Canyon One. It's the old what's what's harder? Speeded team up or slow a team down? Interesting clash of styles here. I will say Saint Mary's wins, but not a lot of confidence. Wouldn't be shocked at Grand Canyon One. Would would take the points if anything. But I do think Saint Mary's has enough defense to advance here.
Speaker 1: Allan Boston is so right about that. And let me just say this as we're going through this, is there anything more exciting than fucking March madness? By the way, like it's so good it's.
Speaker 3: Doesn't even matter looking at my I kept looking at my phone for the time, like four point thirty yesterday, right hour and a half an hour for twenty two, and you get older, your fandom dies down a little bit too, At least for me it does. But with March madness man, these conference tournaments, the brackets coming out, it's something I will never outgrow.
Speaker 1: It was it was I had an ego yesterday to win the to win Indian Wells. So I was like, Okay, you can finish off soccer Requick so I can watch Temple because I really wanted Temple to get there, because then I would have been this huge story at five hundred to one winning their tournament. So she finished it right before Tempe, and then Temple got beat up, so I ended up watching the Players Championship. I'm like, all right, Scotti Sheffer because I had Scheffler preflop. It was such a great day yesterday, tech Scheffler Canela. Sometimes this sports betting thing doesn't have to be that hard. But Sheffler, I was like, Okay, get there, so the selection Sunday show can start. I don't have to like watch two things. What a perfect day, can't wait. Winner of Saint Mary's Grand Canyon takes on the winner of Alabama and Charleston, also in Spokane on Friday. Alabama's the fourth seed over over.
Speaker 4: Alabama.
Speaker 5: Charleston, by the way, is also a speed up team, so they played a speed up team against a speed up team. Just to tell you what, I just know Charleston's a fast team because I've been watching all year. But Charleston happens to be fifty ninth out of three hundred and fifty, so in their top seven, you know, like top fourteen percent of speedy teams. And we all know about Alabama as far as speedy. You know, they're ninth overall and speedy teams. Now, that's why the over under is absurdly ridiculous at one seventy four. But be careful betting that under. I'm telling you, even even I know Stevie, who's gonna love to get those first half hunders. But be careful with this one because maybe the first half maybe could go slow, but they're gonna go fast, and Bama can have these games where there's one hundred and twenty points in the second half.
Speaker 4: It's obscene.
Speaker 1: One seventy four is by far the highest total in the round of sixty four games. There are only two other games that even get into the one sixties. That would be Oakland, Kentucky at one sixty two and a half in Long Beach State in Arizona once. So that's how huge, how high that number is. By the way, Alabama led the nation in scoring average with over ninety points per game and they play no defense whatsoever, Charleston.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you're watching the game ten minutes in and there's twenty possessions for each team, it's going over, folks.
Speaker 1: What's funny is Charleston is twenty and oh straight up when they score eighty points, Alabama will absolutely put that to the test. Will Alabama in this game, by the way, is favored by nine Any thoughts on the spread?
Speaker 3: Ooh, it's ticked down a little. I like Charleston plus the point, very high variance game. So I wouldn't mind a sprinkle line on a sprinkle on the money line, because like you said, Alabama, they're going to shoot a ton of threes.
Speaker 2: It's all rim and three with them. If the threes aren't falling like last.
Speaker 3: Year against San Diego State, they could lose to anybody and Charleston's gonna shoot a ton of three. So this is one of those games where if you just if you show me the box score in terms of the three pointers, I can tell you who's gonna win. I wouldn't be shocked if Charleston beats them. I'll go with Alabama to advance. But again, this is a high Veria, so Charleston plus the points, but Bamo I think will get by here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other thing about that that giant killers characteristics. We talk about teams that slow the pace to a grind. The other one is a team that just shoots threes in volume, right, just out three somebody all right, other side of this region Friday in Memphis, number six Clemson against number eleven, at least in terms of seeded New Mexico. New Mexico started the weekend as one of Lonordi's last four out. They end up winning the Mountain West Tournament champs, so the committee doesn't even get to decide on them. They're an auto bid. They end up number twenty three and Ken Palm but an eleven seed and they're a two and a half point favorite.
Speaker 5: Toddy, I mean I took I took Clemson. I just I was really high on Clemson this year and now at the end of the year they kind of like crap the bed a bit Clemson, but I really liked the team. I mean, they lost three of their last four games, Notre Dame, Wake Forest and Boston College and the tournament.
Speaker 4: But maybe that wakes them up here.
Speaker 5: New Mexico is the kind of team they're they're they're a run and gun team, and I don't like that kind of team in the tournament, I you know, because things tend to slow down, and I just you know, I've New Mexico is just incredibly offensively talented. I mean, they've got a really you know, House Dent, you know, Junior Joe. So they got a lot of guys who can play and put the ball in the basket. But Clemson is going to probably try to slow them down. And that's why I think I'm gonna I'm gonna take Clemson here, uh to get through as far as and the points were, Oh, Clemson is the dog. I would I would consider.
Speaker 4: Playing that pregame Clemson plus two. I just think Clemson's you know, I just think they're better.
Speaker 1: We'll just text to us, Okay, well, well can I read you? Can I read your text? Sure? All right? Will just text about because I drank way too much water? Can I run to the bathroom for thirty seconds after I talk about this game. Lol. No, but you can after the next four games, because that'll be the end of this region. How about that? Can we get through it?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: See me, what were you going to do if we said if we said no, you're going to be for cups?
Speaker 2: I'm looking around for cups?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well just give Clemson New Mexico.
Speaker 2: This is great content. I think New Mexico beats him. I like their guards.
Speaker 3: You always worry about these Mountain West teams because, I mean, they haven't done well in the tournament. And I think there's a reason they haven't done well in the tournament. So many of those schools are are located in altitude and you get in a tournament setting and that's just not the case.
Speaker 2: They don't have that advantage. Clemson.
Speaker 3: I like this team all year, but that was a really troubling performance in the conference tournament against a really shaky Boston College team in Boston College just buried them. So I'll go with New Mexico here. It's interesting if they didn't win their conference tournament, New Mexico, they weren't getting in. I mean they were they squeaked in just with the with the automatic bids, so that that was interesting. I think they're underseed. How New Mexico and Dukine are on the same seed line is ridiculous to me. I think what you said, New Mexico's in the twenties and duknes and in the eighties eleven at both levels.
Speaker 2: But I'll pick New Mexico here, all right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, well, go go to the bath. That's fine, Will Will. I wouldn't have done this on his podcast, but sure, go pee in the middle of mine, all right. Toddy Winner of Clemson New Mexico, also Friday in Memphis, takes on the winner of the three to fourteen game between Baylor and Colegate. Baylor number fourteen in campon the only D one team with six players that averaged ten points per game. Colegate Patriot League Tournament champs. Raiders won seventeen of their last eighteen. Have never won a tournament game ever, and I doubt they do here.
Speaker 4: You agree, yeah, because they're not good.
Speaker 5: The top one hundred teams that they played they played Illinois crushed them, Arizona crushed them.
Speaker 4: Yale is eighty fourth overall.
Speaker 5: They beat him pretty nicely, and Syracuse they had a somewhat close game against but they lost that too. I don't think they're gonna they're gonna have much in the way of resistance against Baylor. As far as the point spread goes, it's thirteen and a half, I'll just say I'm I'm not interested in that, but I think Baylor advances.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do the last two games of this region seven to ten games Thursday. Oh, no, Will's back Will. Any thoughts on Baylor? Oh, he's putting on his headphones. This is very exciting. That was very quick, Well done, Well done. Any thoughts on Baylor, colegate? I assume you're advancing Baylor spread his thirteen and a half? Any thoughts here?
Speaker 3: I like Baylor minus the points. If there was an alternate line, I would take Baylor. I could see Baylor winning this game by twenty five thirty points. This is not a vintage Colgate team. They're just they're not as good on offense as they've been in past years. I think there obviously, it's going to be a huge gap in terms of the athleticism. I think Baylor absolutely rolls here.
Speaker 1: Do you wash your hands after you went by the way? Next question, Thursday and Sola.
Speaker 5: I saw something on Twitter where the where a guy just bet at all money lines the last two years and was up like eleven units one year and nineteen units the other year. But you bet every single money line my favorite or dog, no dog, I'm sorry, every dog money line in the entire conment.
Speaker 4: And ended up winning pretty nicely. It's kind of interesting idea.
Speaker 1: This is, I mean again, this is like shit happens in the first to second rounds.
Speaker 3: Especially in the past two years. I mean there was a one and two that lost just last year. I mean that's going to carry a lot of loser. I mean, that's that's going to do a lot of long That's true. Top in my head what those.
Speaker 2: Money lines were. But printing on the money line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I didn't think that want, Yeah, I get what was the Purdue Fairly Dickinson money line? We know the Purdue side.
Speaker 5: Rights forty five hundred was probably plus twenty two thousand.
Speaker 1: Maybe twenty eight twenty somewhere in the twenties.
Speaker 2: Got in the twenties for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All right, last year in this region seven to ten game between Dayton and Nevada with Nevada as the ten seed, a tick of a favorite Salt Lake City on Thursday.
Speaker 5: That this is just another of the endless games where I like both of these teams and I don't want to have to pick against either of them, and it's just aggravating as hell that they they did this to us this year. Nevada is a really good defensive team. You know, in the non conference they beat some pretty decent teams. They also have that kid Lucas who used to be on Oregon State. If you remember, he shot them like almost single handedly into the Elite eight that one year when Oregon State was like a forty two seed or something, and you know, somehow that kid just made every single three pointer.
Speaker 4: He's on Nevada. They've got you know, black shirt.
Speaker 5: They've got a lot of defense as well, and I like again, you know, I like that gritty kind of defensive style. The problem is Dayton is kind of similar to them, and although Dayton is not as defensive as they usually are, they're actually a bettery offensive team than they typically are. Not as good on defense, this year, they still have that Dayton grit to them. So I hate having to pick this game. I'm gonna take Nevada.
Speaker 4: But I don't like it.
Speaker 1: You hate this bracket.
Speaker 4: You hate it, I hate it, will hate.
Speaker 2: It nothing, I bet. But I would go with Daton. It's interesting they had to really port endto the season. I think like this. Sometimes you can get in and.
Speaker 3: Just recharge your batteries, fresh start your zero and zero and I just think, look a toss up game for a reason. But I think Holmes will be the best player on the court.
Speaker 2: You do worry about Dayton's depth, which they don't have a lot of.
Speaker 3: It probably doesn't hurt of them, especially in the first game of the tournament. I'll go with just because they have Holmes. I think they're the slightly better team.
Speaker 2: I'll go with Dayton here all.
Speaker 1: Right, rounding out this region. The winner of that game day Nevada, when Nevada is a one point favorite, takes on the winner of this game Thursday in Salt Lake City. The two seed Arizona Wildcats sixth and Ken Palm. But Arizona has not reached the Final four since two thousand and one. I would not have if.
Speaker 4: There's a two.
Speaker 5: If there's a two that's going out, this is the one. Long Beach State has some players folks, and they beat Irvine, which is a good team, in the finals of their tournament. I watched that game start to finish, and I've watched other Long Beach days.
Speaker 4: They have some talent on this team. Now.
Speaker 5: Granted, obviously Arizona's got way more talent all over the place, but I would not be shocked. Long Beach State coach was five before the conference tournament and they ended up winning the conference tournament. So maybe they keep the crazy run alive. But I'm telling you they have some talent on the team. It's not like they're devoid of town certainly offensively. And you know, I hate Arizona. I always hate Arizona in the tournament, and I don't have any other reason to like them this year. I think they are typical Arizona soft, as you know Charman.
Speaker 1: Charmon nice nineteen seventies reference there for that campaign. You don't like Tommy Lloyd as a coach either, I would assume no, Yeah, I hate him Long Beach State. By the way, what Todd was referring to Long Beach State was eleven to one to win the Big West Tournament. The reason they were that long they had lost five games in a row before the tournament, so their head coach, Dan Monson was essentially fired, right. They just agreed, you'll just coach it out and then they haven't lost since. So there it is. Arizona is still a massive favorite in this game twenty and a half points. Will, Are you calling it out right upside air? No?
Speaker 2: No, I wouldn't lay.
Speaker 3: Arizona can be They're as up and down as they are. The best version of them can be scary.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen enough of Long Beach to know like their pace, and you know, if you're going to try to run with Arizona.
Speaker 3: That can be shaky. Todd liking them keeps me off Arizona here, but no play for me either way. Arizona wins, all right, man?
Speaker 4: I agree with Will. They could lose by thirty two easily. I'm just saying they have some talent, you know.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the other side of the of the bracket South Region Friday in Memphis. Number one seed A Houston, the second overall number one seed, allowed the fewest points in D one per game, fifty seven point zero points per game they allowed. They're taking on the sixteen seed Longwood Lancers, who won the Big South Tournament as thirteen to one pre flop long shots. Houston's a massive favorite here. I don't know how you feel about Houston in general, Todd, but would you lay the points here with Houston.
Speaker 5: I'm not as high on Houston as I've been high on them in the past, although it is the same kind of Houston team. And again, these kind of teams that stifle the other team's offense, to me, are better bets. If you're gonna lay the big number, I'm not going going to lay it. Longwood did not play anybody besides Dayton in the top one hundred this entire year, and they lost. You know, they're not exactly good Longwood. I mean they're one hundred and fifty seventh overall. I mean I could see you know, Houston winning, you know, like seventy to thirty seven or some nonsense like that.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I would be interested in a long a Longwood team total under. I don't like this Houston team, but coming off that dismal performance Saturday in the Big twelve title game, you're gonna get the folkies.
Speaker 2: I think, in a bad mood, I lay it here with Houston. I think they roll. I don't know how long would score.
Speaker 4: So Knny, that's a great idea, Willy. That the team total. I love your idea.
Speaker 5: They're Willy, the team total, which will probably be sixty four minus twelve. It'll probably be in the fifth two ish range, and so you know, good luck getting to fifty two Longwood.
Speaker 1: It's really true. I mean again, Houston allowing fifty seven points per game against you know, as an average. Now they're taking on Longwood. So that would be an interesting bet. Houston twenty four point favorites in that game. By the way, winner of that, assuming it's Houston, I'm gonna play the winner of the Nebraska Texas A and M game, which I'm looking at the line here and it's a pick them. Nebraska is the ac Texas A and M is the ninth seed. Nebraska remains the only Power five school to never ever win an NCAA tournament game. And Texas A and M, what can you say about them? Seventeen point two second chance points per game. That's the most in D one. This is in Memphis on Friday. Will any thoughts here?
Speaker 2: No, this is a game I really don't want to part. This could be a good undergame. Sen here going through my noes. You said South Carolina, A and M.
Speaker 1: Right, Nebraska, Oh, Nebraska against ATAM.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Nebraska, am oh. I actually like Nebraska in this game. I don't think they've ever won a tournament game. This is gonna be their first one. I think I like this Nebraska team that was a bad second half the other day against Illinois. But I think this team is sneaky because they're not a blue blood. They don't have the reputation.
Speaker 2: But again, I'm sure Todd will probably say, hey, these are two teams you want to bet on because A.
Speaker 5: And M.
Speaker 2: Has been a little bit of an underrated team. They just can't shoot enough their numbers and they had a really good first half against Florida before they fell apart. I'll go with Nebraska. I just think they have more offense here, Dotty, before I.
Speaker 5: Get to that, just as a quick reference to what we were talking about with Houston, Louisiana, Monroe was two ninety six. They got thirty one, Corpus christy one seventy eight got fifty, Stetson two eighteen got forty eight, Towson one forty seven, got forty nine, Montana one fifty eight got forty four, and Rice two thirty got thirty nine. So there's no reason to think I think that Euston can't hold long Wood, you know, to less than fifty bit just based on that.
Speaker 4: But anyways, back to Texas A and M and Nebraska.
Speaker 5: Will he predicted what I would say exactly, and it is that I don't like to I like both of these teams, and I hate the fact that they're playing each other. I'm just going to take the toe Monauga factor and go with Nebraska. The little Asian guard on Nebraska is just I don't even know how he gets a shot off, but somehow he does, and he makes big shots. They've got a big guy, I think his name is Mask, who's also like really clutch, and Nebraska's just got an overall really good offensive team. They've been kind of underrated and I do like And the thing is I like Texas A and M too, so it's kind of a bummer that I have to pick someone, but I'll pick Nebraska.
Speaker 1: Tobanaga, just for the record, is Japanese tot not just Asian.
Speaker 4: Asian. I said Asian, I know, but I said Asian, I know.
Speaker 1: But he's Japanese.
Speaker 4: I just want to point out its Ja Japan, not in Asia.
Speaker 1: No, it is. But that's what's the equivalent of saying someone is African. He's probably name his country.
Speaker 2: Right. So we got fifty one and a half at DraftKings for team total for Longwood.
Speaker 1: Fifty one and a half. If you bet the over on that, you've got balls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's too high. Yeah, all right, I think that'll close in the forties to forty.
Speaker 5: By the way, some places have first half unders. I know Draft Kings sometimes has first half unders team totals.
Speaker 4: You might want to look at that one. You know, that one might be better, all right?
Speaker 1: Friday in Brooklyn, number five to twelve game between Wisconsin and j M You. Wisconsin is seventeenth and Ken Palm came close to winning the Big Ten Tournament, couldn't quite get there. James Madison thirty one in three the Duke Sunbelt Tournament champs, tied for first place most in D one with thirty one wins. Wisconsin is a what are they in this game? In terms of a favorite? What are they? Five and a half?
Speaker 4: Half, five and a half?
Speaker 1: What do you like? Well?
Speaker 5: By the way, James James Madison's going to be the darling, but just before, you know, maybe slow your rule just a bit. They did beat Michigan State in overtime in the first game of the year and then never face the top one hundred team the rest of the year except Appalachian State, which they played twice and lost both home and away. So maybe JMU is not as great as everyone is going to be. You know, you know everyone's going to be picking JMU. I am going to go opposite of that and pick Wisconsin to go through here. I'm not going to go with the sexy JMU pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree James Madison a little too trendy here. I like the way Wisconsin's played. They shot the ball much better. They had that horrible slump in February where they lost I think all but one game. Wisconsin just got a better team again, two teams I was looking to bet on, but they put them against each other.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't lay the points. I'd take you before I lay it, but I'll go with the favorite too.
Speaker 1: Advance winner of Wisconsin, James Madison, takes on the winner of the four to thirteen game Friday in Brooklyn as well. Duke and the Catamounts of Vermont twenty eight and six. Vermont was America East Tournament champs. Since January first, they are nineteen and one straight up. Duke's a twelve point favorite, though Todd, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I don't think this is as good as Vermont. Vermont is always like the Darling.
Speaker 4: If you remember a.
Speaker 5: Number of years that they either pulled an upset or played really tough against people, and they typically have that. They haven't really played anybody this year. They played Bradley lost, and they played Virginia Tech and got blown out. Those are the only top one hundred. They beat Charleston, who's ninety eight. But I will watch them a couple of times, and they're just they're not to me. They're just not overwhelming, and they're certainly not that good on offense. I don't think they have enough to be a vintage Vermont team to beat Duke.
Speaker 4: So I'll go with Duke going through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll pick Duke to win.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm doing this too much where I picked the underdog to cover but the favorite to advance.
Speaker 2: But that's how I feel about the game.
Speaker 3: Vermont has components to make this close. They play slow, they play good defense, they'll muck the game up. Like Todd said, Vermont just doesn't have enough firepower to actually pull off the upset. I would look at an under two maybe a Vermont team total, and I just don't know that Vermont to be able to score enough in this game.
Speaker 4: So maybe first half, Willie, Right, would you think will first half would be better than the game, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially, I mean you're in twelve that if you're around the spread, who knows what the fouls at the end. So again, I just don't know that Vermont can score enough to actually win the game. Duke's gonna win year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the other staple of this. In this bracket, you were saying, like, you know, teams that are playing each other that you would have liked to have had separated. But the Vermonts and Colgates of the world, right, some would be upset candidates in previous years just don't have the makeup this year. That would be Yeah, let's go to the other half of this bracket Thursday in Pittsburgh. In Pittsburgh, Toddy, are you going to these numbers?
Speaker 4: I was looking at it. There's actually four gains. But then the problem is it's hard to watch the other games if you're if you're at the venue. But there are four games on Thursday. I was thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Well, here are two of them. Number six, Texas Tech in this region, twenty fourth in Ken Palm against the eleven seeded wolf Pack of NC State, who won the a CEC tournament. As we mentioned as one hundred to one long shots, first time they've won the ACC since nineteen hundred and eighty and seven. But Texas Tech remains a favorite here in this game, Toddy, any thoughts here? What's Texas Tech a five and a half point favorite? Yes? Five?
Speaker 5: I took Texas Tech because you know, NC State had the rags to riches ACC tournament. I don't like those kind of teams, you know that they just you know, shot their wads so to speak, in the in their conference tournament. And Texas Tech that's a serious team. So I just I don't think NC State is going to be able to hang with Texas Techa. I have Texas Tech to move on. Just you know, Texas Tech, they play in a pre freaking tough conference. They beat Baylor, they beat I mean there, this is a serious team to beat.
Speaker 2: Texas you know, yep, I don't like.
Speaker 3: I don't like these teams that won their conference tournament just in general, especially like that was their super Bowl. They beat North Carolina to win the ACC tournament, like you said, the first time in twenty something years.
Speaker 2: So I would expect Texas Tech to advance here, all right.
Speaker 1: Winner of that game takes on the winner of the three to fourteen between Kentucky. Curious, So where you guys come down on Kentucky Forty one point two percent from three point range this year for Kentucky, that's the best in D one sixty first NCAA appearance, by the way, the most all time. Oakland Golden Grizzlies the fourteen seed to where they were the Horizon League Tournament champs. They haven't been in the Big Dance since twenty eleven. They win a lot of close games, eight and one straight up in games decided by five points or fewer, but that obviously against a different level of competition. Kentucky's a huge favorite here. They're also a big in vogue pick from a lot of people to go far. What do you think about this game? By the way, they're fourteen points, they're two touchdown favorites in this game against Oakland. What do you think about this game, Todd? And then what do you think about Kentucky in general?
Speaker 5: I don't like Kentucky to go far. Yes, they're incredible on offense, but they are an abombing nation on defense. So these are not the kind of teams I like in the NCAA tournament running gun teams. The game will slow down and they will find themselves in a real battle and they're just to me, they're just primed for getting knocked out, having a bad three point shooting night in one of these venues that they never play in that happens. You know, obviously they're very predicated, like you just said, on hitting the three point shot, and you know, this is the kind of situation where they find themselves in a weird arena and they can't hit the bard side of a barn.
Speaker 4: The game gets slowed down. Kentucky.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't I mean Oakland to me, if you were going to play one of these, you know, crazy upsets, I wouldn't be too too upset with Oakland.
Speaker 4: Oakland's not a terrible.
Speaker 5: Team, you know, and they've played They beat Xavier, which is kind of like a Kentucky light. Xavier is another like run and gun kind of team, so they have been able to beat a team like that.
Speaker 4: Right State is in their conference. They beat Right State.
Speaker 5: Right State is another all offense, no defense team. So you know it wouldn't shock me. I don't have Kentucky going far, and you know I would be I wouldn't be shocked if Oakland pulled the upset.
Speaker 1: If I asked you what team or teams you feel like has the widest range of outcomes in the Big Dance that a Kentucky and Arizona, you said, yeah, wow, because remember last year. Remember Fau's first round game was against Memphis and we were kind of saying that about Memphis last year. So the Kentucky and Arizona, how would you answer that, Todd?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I wouldn't disagree with that.
Speaker 5: It's just when you have these offensive teams like that, you know, anything can go wrong, and then of course, if they're hot, anything can go right.
Speaker 1: So you know, do you think that about Gonzaga as well? Because that was an answer that I was given when I asked that last week.
Speaker 2: Not a bad one, huh.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not too high on Gonzaga this year anyway, So.
Speaker 1: I don't will any thoughts on this game.
Speaker 3: Kentucky Oakum, if we're doing the old NFL megapod game, you want no part of. This might be one of them, because like we want to be shocked if Kentucky got upset because there's so many highs and lows, I wouldn't want to be shocked. If if you look at this score six minutes in and it's twenty six to eleven or something, I wouldn't be shocked either.
Speaker 2: So high variance game nothing for me.
Speaker 1: I'll ask the other megapod question at the end of this last two last two brackets in this region seven to ten game between Florida and the winner of Boise State Colorado. So I guess we have talked about the play in game or the first four between our boy Tyson Deaganheart and Boise State Toddy against Colorado. Colorado is the three point favorite though in this uh first four game and the first four game is on the first night. Yes, no, it's on the second night of the first fours Colorado State. Now I two and a half boys favorite. Any thoughts on that game?
Speaker 4: I mean, Boise is one of my favorite teams. As everyone knows.
Speaker 5: I love Boise, I love how I love their style of just you know they have. They're just gonna play like Cyo basketball. You know it's gonna be you know, Daigan Hard who can't jump and just does everything right. They're not gonna make mistakes. They're gonna play defense. They're gonna play defense. I can promise you that Boise will play defense. I mean, they're twenty ninth overall in ken Palm and defense.
Speaker 4: So you know, Colorado. I haven't watched that much Colorado.
Speaker 5: I know they're pretty good, but I just think Boise Boise is kind of built for NCAA tournament games. So to me, you know, half court Boise, I'll take Boise. And by the way, I picked them to upset Florida.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Okay, you're not the first to say. We had Michael Montisano on a Numbers game this monk. He thought Colorado would win this and then beat Florida as well.
Speaker 3: Will Colorado is interesting because they have legit NBA talent. They've got I think three guys that are going to play in the NBA, A pretty high pick in Williams. But they're interesting because they're so good at home and they're so bad away from home, and like, it's not a home game, it's not a road game, So what do you do with them in a neutral setting. I do think they have enough talent to beat Boise. I think they rightfully favorite. I just think they're bigger than Boise too.
Speaker 2: I think they'll rebound them and that'll.
Speaker 3: Set up an interesting Colorado Florida game. So I do like Colorado to beat Bois here. Yeah, by the way, I picked.
Speaker 2: Florida in Boise too. Or Florida and Colorado are we saving that?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not gonna say it. Just do you feel like whoever you said you like Colorado and that game, you feel like they beat Florida or not.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Florida. I hate the fact that they lost their big guy, but I really like this Florida team. I love their guards, and I love Golden as a coach.
Speaker 1: Whoever Florida plays that will be Friday in Indianapolis and they will play the winner of this game at Friday in Indianapolis. The number two fifteen game is the last bracket in the region Mark that is the two seed. The Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky are the fifteen seed the Conference USA Tournament champs. Remember with Marquette, though Tyler Coolek and that oblique injury which he sustained against Providence about a month ago, has not played since. Right has not played since. They thought he was gonna maybe had a chance to play in the Conference Tournament championship yesterday didn't happen. So that's a big question mark. But Marquette is a huge favorite here, Todd.
Speaker 5: Just so you know, Western Kentucky is the number one pace team in all of college basketball three hundred and a billion teams. They are the fastest team in all of college basketball. Marquette is ninety one, which is in the top you know, say quarter. So they're pretty fast too. And that's probably why I didn't look at what the over under is here. What's the over under in this game Marquette. Oh, it's one hundred and fifty seven. That's why it's one hundred and fifty seven because it's gonna be up and down in this game. So that would be interesting, especially in the second half if the game gets out of hand. Westernentky the problem with them is they're just, you know, skittish. The miss free throws, and I've lost a zillion games on Western Kentucky when they screwed me on free throws and stuff like that. I don't think they're good enough to beat Marquette. Although I do not have Marquette going far. I actually have Boise going all the way to the Sweet sixteen to beat Marquette. So I'm not real high on Marquette, but I don't know if I want to pick them, although fourteen and a half seems like such a large amount of points.
Speaker 4: Maybe half, yeah, maybe Western Kentucky first half.
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 4: The problem though is also is.
Speaker 5: That Zach game's going to be an up and down game, you would think, so you know, with variants, they could get blown out.
Speaker 1: To Todd calling a shot with Boise stay right there to beat Marquette. By the way, I shouldn't say a month ago, but it was last month when Tyler Koleay hurt as a bleak. Yes, will your thoughts on this.
Speaker 2: It's the lowest spread of all the two fifteen games at fourteen points.
Speaker 3: I don't have them all in front of me, but I can't lay it here with with Marquette when their injuries and cold. You figure if they have a lead second half, they'll get them out of the game and just say, hey, we'll get ready for the for the second round. I would take the points, not picking Western Kentucky on the straight up or anything, so what would be a lean.
Speaker 4: Towards the dog.
Speaker 2: But I would expect Market to win. But I'm with Todd, I don't have Market going very far here.
Speaker 1: I'm checking all the two fifteen spreads and do to do to do? What is Iowa State? Yeah, sixteen and a half. This is the shortest. This is the shortest of all the two fifteen fourteen at DraftKings down to fourteen. Now, Okay, final region. Winner of that region, the South plays the winner of the Midwest. Perdue is the number one seed either the third overall number one seed. They will play the winner of Montana State and Grambling. Montana State the Bobcats. They won the Big Sky Tournament at sixteen to one underdogs. Grambling won the swack first ever NCAA appearance. That's a play in game or first four in game between Montana State and Grambley. Any any play on the Montana State Grambling game.
Speaker 4: Todd, No, but I don't think Purdue is going to lose in the first round this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, there it is stepping out on a limb. By the way, Montana State is a three and a half point favorite against Grambling. Will any play on that game at all?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 5: For me?
Speaker 3: I will probably look to back Purdue that first game, because you figure, hey, if anyone's ever going to be hyper focused.
Speaker 2: Hyper motivated, they're going to look too to be on their best behavior in round one. So that might be one where I look the late number for du trying to do.
Speaker 4: They're probably going to be laying thirty five probably or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Perdue trying to do what Virginia did after getting beaten by a sixteen seed and winning the national title. The next year. Winner of that game, which is Friday in Indianapolis, Purdue, whoever they play, we'll take on the winner of the eight to nine game in Indianapolis. That's TCU and Utah State. TCU I say first, they're the ninth seed. Utah State is the eighth seed. TCU is a three point favorite here.
Speaker 5: However, like State, you like like Utah State, I don't like TCU is a little too. They're just a little too helter skelter for my for my tastes Utah State. You know a lot of times you say guard play wins in the NCA torner. They have a they have a guard I believe his name is Brown, who's really clutch. I like Utah State, you know, they didn't really. I mean, they played the Mountain West obviously, that has a bunch of really good teams, and they beat a bunch of them.
Speaker 4: New Mexico, San Diego State, Boise State.
Speaker 5: I mean, they did beat a bunch of good teams in their own conference, Colorado State. But I just TCU to me is just a little too much. They're kind of like an Arizona Light in a sense. They're a little soft for me, for my taste. So I'll take I would take. I mean, if I was gonna bet a pregame, I would bet Utah State.
Speaker 4: Pregame as a dog. What do you? What are you getting? How many points?
Speaker 1: TCU and now up to a three and a half point favorite.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll take Utah State. There may be even first half. But yeah, I don't like TCU.
Speaker 1: I'm not a fan Utah State nine and oh straight up in games decided by five points or fewer this year, will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought the seating just for the Mountain West teams in general was interesting. I mean, they got six of them in, but the committee didn't seem to like them. I thought they were all trying a little bit lower, lower, higher. I was get that confused. They were all seated with less respect than I expected them to get. That being said, I would take usas state here, TCU great at getting to the rim. They're all about transition. But if you can slow them down and make them play in the half quarter, I think it's a different team.
Speaker 2: So I like UTA State here.
Speaker 1: Conferences with multiple.
Speaker 4: Fatter from the Mountain West beat them in.
Speaker 1: Then non comfortence conferences with multiple bids here. Big twelve and SEC both got eight in. The Big ten got six. As Will said, the Mountain West got six in, but they were not respected by the committee. They got a bunch of low seeds, lower than most people anticipated. ACC had five, PAC twelve had four. In the final year of the Pack twelve, Big East only with three, although three.
Speaker 2: Goods that's just absolutely insane.
Speaker 1: Yea West Coast with two of the A ten with two last four in ended up being Boise State, Colorado, Virginia and Colorado State. Last four out ended up being Oklahoma, Seaton Hall, Indiana State, and Pit with Indiana State having the highest net ranking of those at twenty ninth. All right, continuing, we're almost done here Thursday in Salt Lake City, number five, Gonzaga number twelve. McNeese State the cowboys of McNee state Southland Tournament champs. They outscored opponents by eighteen point nine points per game this year, the most in D one. Good god. And then there's Gonzaga making their twenty fourth consecutive tournament as opposed to McNeese State, which is making their first appearance in two thousand and two. Gonzaga is the favorite here Bye seven Todd.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Mcneesse didn't play any teams that they only played two teams in the top.
Speaker 4: One hundred all year.
Speaker 5: That was VCU when they were eightieth and Louisiana Tech in their ninety fifth They played away at VCU and they actually one seventy six to sixty five. They played louise In a Tech away and they lost seventy one sixty two. So it's not like we have a lot of data on whether McNeese can step up in they have that coach I believe he's the coach that used to be Waghe the coach of LSU got in trouble, so he's probably a.
Speaker 4: Real good coach.
Speaker 5: He might, you know, other than the fact that he started nil before nil. Other than that, you know, he's yeah, yeah, he was n IO pre NL. But you know, I don't what do you say? The line is seven here? Yes, in Zaga, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't want this. I don't like in Zaga this year.
Speaker 5: But I'm not sure I can trust this McNeese team. Probably a lot of people are going to be picking McNeese.
Speaker 2: I would think.
Speaker 1: Thirty and three were the cowboys this year. That that margin of victory thing is is difficulty, right, because on the one hand they didn't play anybody. On the other hand, they destroyed who they did, so it's hard to really gauge.
Speaker 3: Will Yeah, I agree, McNeese is certain going to be trendy. I'm surprised that I saw six six and a half. I'm surprised it's moved the other way to seven. I would certainly take the points before.
Speaker 2: I would lay it. You know, I'll pick McNeese to advance.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 2: I think there are Oh, they got this guard who's really good.
Speaker 3: Thirty and three is thirty and three, and again margin a victory is impressive. So not a vintage Gonzaga team. They've played a lot better recently. But I'll take me these.
Speaker 1: Here Will going Yale, going McNeese State. I like it. Winner of that way.
Speaker 5: That's another one where he Will would probably agree. The first half might even be better in the sense that a seven point favorite can look crapp ole of the entire game and then blow them out at the way end and you lose by nine or ten because of the fouls at the end. So that might be one that if you think McNee State can hang take the four in the first half or something like that.
Speaker 1: You know, all right, winner of that five twelve game gat Zaga McNeese State plays the winner also Thursday in Salt Lake City of the four to thirteen game between Kansas and Samford. I'm interested to see what you guys have to say about Kansas. Samford Bulldogs were Southern Tournament champs, first appearance for them in the NCAA since two thousand. They score eighty six points per game, fifth and d one Kansas thirty fourth straight time in the tournament top four seed for the twenty third straight time, twenty second in Kenbom. But they got injuries, and they got injuries on a team that only had eleven point nine bench points per game. That is you know what that is in D one? Eleven point nine bench points per game, three hundred and thirty sixth in D one, Kansas. This is interesting spread too, because this opened what nine and a half went all the way down I want to say, almost three points and that is backup tea. Now now it's Kansas back up to eight against Samford. Todd.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing. I don't like Kansas.
Speaker 5: Like you said, a lot of injuries, but I didn't even like Kansas without the injuries, right. You know, I'm not a a fan of this year's Kansas team. You know, they brought in Dickinson and you know he's I don't know, and I just don't love it.
Speaker 4: I don't like Kansas. They're just blah.
Speaker 5: Sanford played two teams in the top one hunder. They played per Due away. Guess what the score was. They lost ninety eight.
Speaker 4: To forty five. That's probably not great.
Speaker 5: They weren't able to cover a forty something point spread and then they lost also.
Speaker 2: That game, but said, yeah, it was they got to go back the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then they also played VCU on the road and lost seventy five sixty five Virginia Commonwealth. So you know, I don't think Sanford's probably good enough to beat Kansas, even even a you know, beating up Kansas team.
Speaker 4: But I do not like Kansas at all.
Speaker 5: In fact, I was forced to take Zaga into the Sweet sixteen, a team I also don't like. You know, it's funny, like all the teams I like her playing the teams I like, and all the teams I don't like her playing the teams I don't like. So I'm forced to take in Zaza into the Sweet sixteen, which I hate. I hate Gonzaga, but I think they're gonna beat Kansas, so I'm you know, I have him into the Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking about the injuries. Hunter Dickinson, who, by the way, I've said this before, if I could only get a get odds on the Washington Wizards picking him, they're totally picking him. He's got the dislocated shoulder. And then mccullors has heard too. Those are their two leading scorers heading into this ballgame, will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you hit on the injuries. I don't know what version of Kansas are we getting. Are they healthy and they can run Sanford out of the gym because Sanford. When we talk about these teams that play slow, that have the components to pull an upset, that is not Sanford.
Speaker 2: Sanfordlake's the press.
Speaker 1: They like to run.
Speaker 3: It's interesting trying to press. If Kansas is beat up, like you mentioned, they don't have a good bench. That might be a good thing, but usually when you're the underdog and you have the.
Speaker 2: Lesser athletes, you're not looking to run and speed the game up.
Speaker 3: Sanford has gotten bet here at open nine and a half for down to like seven seven and a half in some spots. This is going to be a trendy upset. Pick people that don't like Kansas. I'm gonna go with Kansas. I don't like the fact that Sanford plays the up tempo style. Nothing I bet because of the Kansas injuries. But I think this is one that might be a little too trendy here.
Speaker 2: I just don't like. I don't think they have the formula here to pull off the upseven all.
Speaker 1: Right, bottom half of this bracket six to eleven game. This is in Pittsburgh on Thursday. It's in Pittsburgh. South Carolina first NCAA appearance as they got to the Final four back in twenty seventeen. They're the sixth seed taking on number eleven Oregon, who won the Final PAC twelve tournament. They were ten to one to win that tournament pre flop. They got it done in fally Dante, leading the leading Division one with a seventy point two percent field goal percentage. Oregon is the slight tick of a favorite here though, as the eleven seed one point favorite TOAH And.
Speaker 4: We go back to the theme of teams I like having to play each other.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 4: Who wants to go against Dana Altman in a tournament setting?
Speaker 2: Not me.
Speaker 5: However, I have South Carolina going to the final four. So that's a problem for me because I think I think South North Carolina is the kind of gritty, kind of like come from nowhere type team like San Diego State was last year, and they have Michie Johnson I believe is their big star. South Carolina is a team I really really like. They beat Tennessee this year. Who else did they beat?
Speaker 4: They beat some good teams in Mississippi State they beat.
Speaker 5: I just like South Carolina. I like the way they play. I think it's perfect style for the tournament. The problem here is I have to go against Oregon, and I hate going against Dana Altman and tournaments, but unfortunately I like South Carolina, so I'm gonna take them. But if I think if Oregon makes it, Oregon will beat Crayton. So whoever gets through this game to me goes to the sweet sixteen and beats Crayton because I am not a Creton fan.
Speaker 1: Wow, Toddy just throwing that in about South Carolina. By the way, I said that that Oregon was the one point favorite. They were yesterday when these brackets came out. South Carolina is now the one point favorite. So this flipped. Will you lied? I lied? I just blatantly lied.
Speaker 3: Well, shit, jeez, I don't buy this Oregon defense a lot of it. If you look at the Pac twelve tournament, it was just their opponents missing three after three, and what Arizona did in that second half on Friday night was just so bad.
Speaker 2: That was just an eye popping result that second half. That turnaround. I'll go with South Carolina.
Speaker 3: I don't like backing these teams off of these conference tournament wins. I just think South Carolina defends a lot better. I like both coaches.
Speaker 2: I'm not betting this game, but I'll pick South Carolina all right.
Speaker 1: They will play the winner winner of that game. South Carolina Oregon, as Todd alluded to, will play the winner. Also Thursday in Pittsburgh, this game of the three to fourteen game between Creighton and Akri, and Akron won the MAC under the circumstances they wanted to where the kid on Kent State thought that they were down a point. Instead they were up a point. They fouled. You said it best will. That kid's gonna live with that for the rest of his life. That was like Freddie Brown throwing it to James Worthy the end of the eighty two NCAA Championship. After Jordan hit the go ahead jumper, he saw a flash in his eyes and he threw it to James Worthy. That was the end of that. Akron taking on Creighton, Creighton's number eleven and Ken Palm. They're the only D one team with three players that average seventeen points or more per game. Baylor shireman Trey Alexander Ryan klt Brenner. Creighton's a big favorite here. No surprise there, Todd, I'm sure you have them advancing.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think if you're gonna pick one of these these upset games, I wouldn't mind taking Akron. Wow, I don't like Creyton and Creighton. Again, They're They're a three point shooting team going into one of these venues that they don't shoot in often. You know, obviously Creighton's a good team, and they can be good teams, but they can also lose to you know, they could they could pull a stinker, and you know, it's the kind of team where if they're missing their three point shots, it could set up perfectly for like a gritty type of Acron kind of team. I like that Akron coach too. If I was gonna pick, I'm picking against Create. I took Creighton to advance in my real bracket, but I would not be shocked if Akron pulled the upset and then I took. Like I told you, I took South Carolina to be Creighton because I'm not a fan of Creighton.
Speaker 3: Will Yeah, Creighton would win. It may be a Acron can hang around me. I just hate laying points in this tournament where I feel like anything can happen. You get random neutral sites, cross conferences, refreekra.
Speaker 2: And there's just so many variables.
Speaker 3: I hate laying points, but I'd be pretty surprised if Creighton lost this game. I'm gonna take Creyighton to advance here, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Final two games of a round of sixty four Thursday in Charlotte in this region, number seven, Texas, number ten, Virginia, the Who's six.
Speaker 4: No, it's the Who's versus.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, the Who's versus Colorado State. Pardon me, Texas will play the winner of the Who's versus Colorado State, which is a first four in first four in game playing game, first four game, Virginia sixty one point nine possessions per game, slowest pace in D one. All right, Colorado State Virginia the play in game first four game.
Speaker 4: With Virginiado State, maybe Colorado State, oida State.
Speaker 5: Creighton, by the way, that's the team that we're talking about right now. They beat him by twenty in the preseason on a neutral court. Colorado Stateia favored by two and a half. Here. Yeah, they beat Colorado, They beat Washington. Colorado State is. First of all, they have that Isaiah Stevens kid has been their point guard for about one hundred years. And again, you want to have good point guard play in the tournament. I like Colorado State to beat Virginia. I do not like Virginia at all. And I do have Colorado State to upset Texas in that game after they defeat After they defeat Virginia, I think they're going to beat Texas.
Speaker 4: I am not high on Texas.
Speaker 1: Who do you think is played the longest at their school? Taking hard at Boise State? Right, hasn't he played there for seventy five years?
Speaker 5: Isaiah Stevens I think has been there for twelve years. Okay, he made it for the first pandemic and the second pandemic.
Speaker 1: What Colorado State, Virginia? Anything there will?
Speaker 2: I like Colorado State. I just think, boy, I didn't check the total on this game. This is an under.
Speaker 3: I don't know that winner might get like fifty to fifty three points. This could be like a fifty three to fifty type of game. I just don't think Virginia has enough offense. I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is or he I don't think they belong with this tournament, and I'm gonna fade him here.
Speaker 2: I like the Colorado State coach. I think Colorado State gets it done here.
Speaker 1: The total is one twenty one, one twenty one, which is the lowest total of any playing game, or any round A sixty four game.
Speaker 2: That's probably still too high, right, That one twenty one feels like it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you're gonna play the under, I'd play the first half.
Speaker 1: Under, not the game under all right, winner of whoever Texas plays there will take on the winner of the two to fifteen game between Tennessee Dalton connect and Tennessee number seven and Ken Palm against number fifteen Saint Peter's the Peacocks, the Metro Atlantic tournament champs, who had the worst field goal percentage in the entire Metro Atlantic this year and still managed to win the tournament. And remember, of course, they gave us the biggest thrill maybe of all time, the only fifteen seed to ever reach the Elite eight that happened a couple of years ago. But Tennessee's a big favorite here. I assume you're advancing Tennessee, Yes, should I assume? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean that's funny that as soon as you said Saint Peter's, I was like, oh, I didn't know that stat that you just said, but I was like, yeah, this team can't hit the broadside of a barn.
Speaker 4: You can watch their game. They can go up and down the floor and just not score.
Speaker 5: Like I'll have the first half over with them and I'll need, like, you know, twelve points in five minutes, and it's just like it's like pulling teeth to get them to score Saint Peter's. So I don't think this is the Saint Peter's that's going to make the run. I believe was that Showheen Holloway was the coach when they when they made the run, And I don't think I don't think it's going to be this time. I think Tennessee's got way too much. And by the way, that Dalton connect is like Shannon on Illinois, just incredibly fun to watch.
Speaker 1: He's amazing. He's amazing, He's there's a little bit of Danny Manning and the Miracles vibe to him in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Will funny you mentioned Saint Peter's being bad on offense. I watched them in the title game against Fairfield. Fairfields right up the road. I was rooting for Fairfield. They haven't been in the tournament in forever. Saint Peter's I think, went nine minutes without missing a shot. They were down nine in the second half and they starred pasts. Fairfield had to hang on. So it's just funny that they they got hot at the right time. Fairfield really let that game get away.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: If nothing for me on this game, Tennessee wins. I think the probab wouldn't comfortable say.
Speaker 4: How do you feel about the Fairfield women's team?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How far are they getting?
Speaker 3: They get Indiana in the first round, then they get the winner probably Oklahoma and Gulf Coast, and if they win those two, which they could. They played terribly Saturday in their conference tournament. They're lucky to be alive as huge favorites. They're thirty one and one, but they would run into South Carolina, but they could win a game or two.
Speaker 2: They're good, very bad.
Speaker 5: What do you think about them from an Instagram perspective, I don't know what you're referring to.
Speaker 4: I don't know Willie tell us.
Speaker 1: Oh man, all right, let me just go through these some bullshit trends just because I want to be thorough and then we'll get to our elite eight picks. Before last year, a number one seed had won the title five straight NCAA tournaments. Didn't happen last year, of course, because before last year, at least one number one seed had reached the final four in the previous nine tournaments. But last year it was a fifth seed San Diego State, a nine seed FAU, fifth seed Miami, and a fourth seed Ukon. By the way, I had Yukon last year too. That's a footnote compared to what you guys had. Five seed highest seed to never win. At large teams have won seven of the last nine titles. First four teams have reached the final four only twice VCU in twenty eleven, Shaka Smart and then UCLA in twenty twenty one. Jimi Hawk's what was the other j kid? What was his name? Jimi Hockey has and Jizang was his name? I gotta douse anyway. Last team from the Pacific or Mountain time zones to win the title Arizona nineteen ninety seven. Jesus first four team has reached the round of thirty two eleven of the last twelve years, So one of these first four teams eleven of the last twelve years have gotten past the first round of around of sixty four into the Vibian.
Speaker 4: Miles Simon was the Arizona team.
Speaker 1: Yes, Miles Simon, who I thought at the time was going to be this amazing pro. I remember thinking, what.
Speaker 2: Did they beat three number one seeds or four? I think it was at least three one seeds.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that title game? Didn't that go to overtime against Utah? Was that order? Was that a Kentucky win that went overtime?
Speaker 4: Kentucky played Utah? That was the Rick Majeris.
Speaker 1: I think I thought there was a title game that went to overtime and it was a Patino game.
Speaker 5: That was the first time I was ever in Vegas during that Final four with you at the Stardust.
Speaker 4: I remember watching it.
Speaker 1: Top four seed is lost in the first round, and fourteen of the last fifteen tournaments, at least one double digit seed has reached the Sweet sixteen. Since two thousand and eight, all four number one seeds have reached the final four only one time, that was two thousand and eight, and three teams reaching the first final four last year for the first time, was the most in nineteen seventy. Anyway, all that just little details that you may find interesting. All Right, we get to the Elite eight. Our Elite eight choices.
Speaker 4: Todd, we can't do. We can't do Sweet sixteen. Also just Elite eight.
Speaker 1: You could do Sweet sixteen. I only I'm sure about my Elite eight right now.
Speaker 5: I did okay eight, I would you just want the Elite eight then yeah, let's do e Lai date. Okay, So I have now, Remember my bracket is going to be absolutely atrocious this year, especially after last year. I even I think Yukon's not going to make it this year, even though I have them and I had to pick them just because I you know, I just love them all year.
Speaker 4: So anyways, I have Yukon.
Speaker 5: I'm really scared that they're going to lose the Auburn in the Sweet sixteen game or I was stayed in the Final eight. But I have Yukon against Iowa State in the Final eight. The ALIGNI against Iowa State and that Sweet sixteen game is going to be an unbelievable contrast game where you have Illinois playing up tempo against Iowa State's defense.
Speaker 4: Illinois offense. That'll be very entertaining.
Speaker 5: I have Yukon and Iowa State and UH in my first part of my final eight. And then do we want to go each region one by one or yeah.
Speaker 1: Let's sill, let's go one on one. So you have Yukon over Iowa State will in that region?
Speaker 2: What do you have Yukon over Iowa State one versus the two?
Speaker 1: I have Yukon beating BYU.
Speaker 4: Ooh, you think BYU is going to beat Illinois?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Byus just missed.
Speaker 2: He picked he BYU because he thinks they're going to lose.
Speaker 1: I have BYU full disclosure of b YU to get to the final four at twelve to one. But I'm perfectly aware that BYU is that team that will shoot themselves into a game, and they will shoot themselves out of a game. And their coach, their coach, pope says it. He says, we only know, we only know how one way to play.
Speaker 5: They evangelicals, because the Mormons are very different than the Evangelicals.
Speaker 1: But anyways, anything you'd like to talk about Japan within Asia, would you like to refer to that?
Speaker 4: Sure? Okay, sure, all RNNA isn't Japan in Asia.
Speaker 5: It is yes, all right, go ahead, second second, Region, Final eight. I have hold your horses, sit down, everyone, hold your horses. Horses yeah, Mississippi State. I have Mississippi State to pull the jigundis upset against North Carolina in the in the final thirty two. Then they go into the Sweet sixteen to play a Grand Canyon team that somehow got through against Bama. And I have Mississippi State beating Grand Canyon to be one of my Elite eight teams. Mississippi State grind it out in Starkville for one of my Elite eight. And then on my other side, I also have an usual pick. I have the you're gonna call this the Michigan bracket for me, but I have the Klemmy Clemson Clem Haskins, the Clemson Tigers, who have been bad late in the season. They rekindle their optimism and they beat Baylor to go into the Final eight by beating not Arizona folks, but the Nevada Steve Alford Wolfpack.
Speaker 4: Because Nevada will.
Speaker 5: Beat Arizona in the round of thirty two, it will be Clemmy against Mississippi State. On that side of what Gilly will call my for Cocta region.
Speaker 1: It is your for Cockta region. But you know what I say, right after I call it your for Cocta region, I say, go fill out a bracket for one of these nationwide pools. You, Mendrick, So you have Mississippi State beating Clemson there, huh wow, will Wow, that's gonna be a tough headline to beat right there.
Speaker 2: I have Arizona in the Elite eight as the two seed, and I have them losing in the Elite eight to Mississippi State. Oh wow, wow, No we didn't. I can't believe you picked that one. Wow, little miss is gonna be the only one.
Speaker 1: My my pick here, my pick here is so bad. Like I'm looking at it and I'm just like, this is atrocious. I have Arizona beating Alabama.
Speaker 2: Not that bad.
Speaker 5: Alabama is not making it, that's for sure, and Arizona is not making it also for sure.
Speaker 4: So you can forget about those I love.
Speaker 1: I love how I thought there was a qualifier coming up for the next one, and he's like, no, save results Arizona, but Alabama.
Speaker 4: I think it's the main thing that me and Willie both took messis.
Speaker 1: I think it is incredible. That's incredible.
Speaker 4: And we didn't talk to each other about this. It's it's funny.
Speaker 1: Mississippi State, who is let me see thirtieth in ken pong. You both have him in your Elite eight, and you have them winning.
Speaker 2: I'm in the final four.
Speaker 1: Oh, you both have them getting in the final four.
Speaker 4: Me too, I have them in the final four.
Speaker 1: Twoh, you both have them getting in the final four. Wow. So you have beating Yeah, you have them beating Clemson. You haven't beating Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, next, that's amazing. Next one, Toddy.
Speaker 5: By the way, that just means that our brackets are going to be terrible because both me and Willie picked the craziness last year and we're both going to get it wrong.
Speaker 1: To wait, wait before you go on, Todd, I'm gonna say it a second time. You if you have Missis, say, Mississippi State beating Clemson, which you do, should go fill out a.
Speaker 5: Bracket this year because the only reason I didn't do it is because I didn't think to go to that book. Because I was limited, I didn't remember that. Of course I could just play the bracket. It was it was not that I forgot it was just I didn't realize that was the problem.
Speaker 1: Well, it was just how would you define the word forgot?
Speaker 4: I didn't forget, it was that. It was that I never like even considered it.
Speaker 1: Didn't remember that sports book.
Speaker 4: You were, no, but I didn't consider using that sports book.
Speaker 1: But anyway, brain didn't toggle to it. I understand. Okay, go ahead, what's.
Speaker 4: Your next Anyways, it's sports betting.
Speaker 5: If you win, you still don't win, folks, because they kick you out or limit you to twenty two dollars. It's a really really smart thing to waste your time on in life. So if you'd like to continue doing it, it's up to you.
Speaker 4: However, it is fun when somebody hits a three at the buzzer against you.
Speaker 5: Okay, now in the bottom bracket, I guess we should do the Purdue bracket.
Speaker 1: Yes, I forget thee to the bracket before that's so we do top Yeah.
Speaker 5: So yeah, okay, so I'm going to go there. I have an upset occurring in the Sweet sixteen Duke to beat the Houston Cougars and Duke to be my first Elite eight team to play.
Speaker 4: Hold onto your hats, folks with this one.
Speaker 5: The Texas Tech Red Raiders from Deep West Texas to beat Boise and go to the Elite eight after they upset Kentucky in the round of thirty two. Give me the Duke Blue Devils against the Texas Tech Red Ravers.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I want to pick Florida, but the fact that they lost the big offensive rebounding is such a big part of that team, and he was an offensive rebounding machine and that was a gruesome injury.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys saw that yesterday, but yeah, that was Florida. I will go with Kentucky going to the Final four. I have them. We're doing the final four? Is just the Lede or just Ada Lee Day.
Speaker 3: Okay, Kentucky versus Nebraska and the Elite Eight. I don't like this Houston team. Nebraska upsets Houston in the second round.
Speaker 1: I couldn't decide, and they beat Duke in the third round.
Speaker 2: I haven't decided that yet, but I guess so.
Speaker 4: Well, you just said that they're taking them, so I don't know who they beat.
Speaker 2: Though, I don't know who they beat.
Speaker 4: I know the crystal ball here, no, no, to get to the Elite eight.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I have Kentucky and Nebraska.
Speaker 1: You have. I couldn't decide between Kentucky and Marquette on the one side, so I ended up picking Kentucky. So I got Kentucky in Houston.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Now, here's the thing. Here's the thing about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not as sure that it's not gonna happen as I'm sure Bama against Arizona is not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 1: I love as you're like. So Arizona is clearly not gonna happening, and Alabama that's clearly not happening either. O.
Speaker 2: Good, Now, it's funny before we get these picks, do you think you and I?
Speaker 3: Who Look, I never think I moved the number on anything, but the fact that we had such good brackets last year, people are gonna probably foolish thing, foolishly think we could duplicate that and go out of Mississippi State.
Speaker 5: So this time, like tomorrow, Yeah, Michigan State's gonna Michigan State's gonna beat them seventy one, seventy There will be no more Inity State, that's for.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right.
Speaker 1: Last last region the Midwest.
Speaker 5: Okay, in the Midwest, I have Purdue squeaking by Montana State Grambling in the Phesik Special and then playing beating Utah State as well, and then they go against Gonzaga again, a team that I don't like, and then it's Purdue Gonzaga, and I don't like Gonzaga enough. I don't like Purdue either, folks, I don't. I'll tell you what I don't like about Purdue. The big guy is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but he's a bit of a softy. And when the game gets really really tight and the refs start clenching their sphincters before calling the foul, he has a tendency to do dumb things. And then when he does get foul and it's a one in one and he needs to make it, he doesn't make it, especially if you have the over.
Speaker 4: So I do not like Purdue.
Speaker 5: However, I'm going to take them to beat Gonzaga because I just don't think this is a classic Gonzaga team. I just don't think there's enough there. I mean, they're good, don't get me wrong, they're very, very good. I just don't think this is a classic Gonzaga team. So I'm going to take Purdue to get to the Elite eight, and I have them hold your horses, folks in a rematch in the sweet sixteen of the third time, South Carolina plays Tennessee and Poley uposet South Carolina to go to the Final eight against per Due, defeating Tennessee in sweet sixty.
Speaker 1: By the way, the big guy on Purdue that Todd was referring to is North American Zach Eadie, who's from Canada.
Speaker 4: But Todd he's also half Asian, isn't he?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go back in his back. He's Canadian though, But I'm saying you would refer to as North American based on your based on my history on this show.
Speaker 4: I do continents like on Monday Night Football.
Speaker 5: If I ever get announced on Monday Night footbably Codd wishnev North America.
Speaker 1: Todd wishteb Antarctica. All right, will last one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a little boring here, Perdue. I don't love this team, but I had a hard time knocking them off. I will have them facing Creighton, a team I do like your little Chalky.
Speaker 1: I'm even more Chalky purduing Tennessee for me. All right, Final four.
Speaker 3: I forget what I'm trying to forget and remember where I saw the stat The last time a one played a two in the Elite eight was twenty nineteen. So you think one verse two so chalky, so obvious, it actually doesn't happen that often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the only one two I have here.
Speaker 5: But yeah, when you fill out these brackets, remember a lot of it. Once you get into the final thirty two, tons of these games become like like toss ups. You're not like shock when when these teams lose.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't pick one and two and four bread and four reasons, she's just scress picking one.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go final.
Speaker 3: I was just saying, it's kind of counterintuitive of like, oh, you think the one verse two is so it's actually counterintuitive picked the one verse the two. And did you see Shannon Sharp he picked for his final four and the women and the men eight number one seeds?
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll send you guys. I'll send you guys. Somebody tweet I think, also announcing he had the tweet, it said, boyd, Shannon Sharp's really earning his money from ESPN picks all eight number one seeds.
Speaker 1: But way if that happens that's the most amazing bracket of all time. That's incredible.
Speaker 5: I don't how much basketball, Shannon shar I probably watched the college basketball this year.
Speaker 4: Zero second.
Speaker 1: Okay Final Four, Todd.
Speaker 5: Okay Final Four. Here we go, by the way. I hate my bracket. Just did I I don't know if I mentioned this to everybody, but.
Speaker 1: It's come up. I think it has come up before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so you've been warned, folks, You've been worn. I have Yukon.
Speaker 5: I'm very scared. I don't think Yukon is going to make the Final four. But because I have the futures ticket and I love Yukon from last year and I still love Yukon this year. I've only made two futures bets, you know, in two years, and they were both on Yukon. I'm going to take Yukon to squeak it out past Iowa State. I'm super worried about the Auburn game. I'm going to be super worried about an Iowa State Elite eight team, And if Illinois makes it to the Elite eight, I'm gonna be worried about that to that game as well. So there's no way I'm not gonna be worried about Yukon, but I do have him getting into the Final four, and I have him going against Mississippi State against Clemson. Mississippi State squeaks by Clemson with their Starkville defense, and it's Yukon Mississippi State on that side of my final four bracket. And on my other side, I am going to go or should I wait? And you guys do your side and go ahead, finish it out, okay.
Speaker 4: On my other side, I have Duke versus Texas Tech.
Speaker 5: I'm going to have Duke, and again I don't really want Duke, but I just don't see how they don't get through here. But so I'm going to take Duke again. That's why I say I just hate my bracket.
Speaker 1: Hey, take you know that thing? You know that thing you have with Duke. It's not gonna happen. Just want to point out.
Speaker 5: That's not by the way, I with you more, there's no way to making it. Like I put down Duke, and I'm like, think of my crazy Duke. There's no way Duke's making it. So so I put Duke in the Final four. I don't like it, and I do like South Carolina the Final four, South Carolina baby to the final four?
Speaker 4: Did you fight Hayley's so did you?
Speaker 1: Did you just say that you have both mississis State in South Carolina in your final four?
Speaker 5: Yes, I do an eight seed and a six. By the way, it's not so crazy for an eight and the six to make it is well, no, it's.
Speaker 1: Not, but it's bold and you should be filling out a bracket at a national pool. Well, your final.
Speaker 3: Four, yukon Mississippi State, I think, let me expand upon my Mississippi State pick.
Speaker 4: It's amazing that we both have.
Speaker 2: It's really incredible.
Speaker 3: I think that's the bracket that could break open because the West is really weak, and we talk about how strong the East is and somewhere else has to be weak. The West really doesn't have a number one seed un SE's nine and Ken palm un See is more.
Speaker 4: Like a re seed.
Speaker 3: So I think Mississippi State if they can get by Michigan State. Remember Florida Atlantic Uh last year they were the Cinderella Darling that made the run to the final four. They were down one and Memphis had the ball on the ground trying to call time out. They called the jump ball Florida Land one of the buzzers. So these games sometimes they go either way early and then you can go on a run. But Mississippi State they're long, they're athletic, They've got a really good point guard, you know. I think Howard's is named so they can bother UNC and then if you get past the UNC, the bracket really opens up and who knows you're playing after that. So Yukon I think survives the gauntlet. Mississippi State is my little bit of a sleeper. I went with Kentucky just because of the NBA talent. I really wanted to pick Florida, but they are missing William will Can I just stop you there?
Speaker 5: There is no chance there is Just like I said to Gilly, there's no chance Kentucky is being the final form.
Speaker 3: But anyway, so Kentucky final four and uh and I'll go with Creighton.
Speaker 2: I just like the shot diet.
Speaker 3: I think they take a lot of threes, they get a lot of stuff close to the hoop, and they do not foul. They do not give you stuff for free on the defensive end of one of the best teams in the country and not fouling. They were very close to making it last year. That game against San Diego State could have gone either way. So I will go Yukon, Mississippi State, Florida Kentucky and Crayton. So Creyton, Kentucky, Yukon, miss State.
Speaker 1: You think you hate your brackets? Do you think you hate your bracket? Man? Do I hate mine? Yukon beats b Yu. The BYU role stops Yukon gets there in the in the Elite eight game that Todd says can never happen, Arizona will beat Alabama, who overachieved to get this far and to score one awaight, and Tommy Lloyd makes me look like an ass for killing him all year, and he gets to the Final four. I too, have Kentucky in the Final four, beating Houston in the Elite eight, and then you talk about hating yourself. Tennessee has lost to a lower seed their last five NCAA tournaments under Rick Barnes in the round of thirty two, the round of sixteen, the round of sixty four, the round of thirty two, in the round of sixteen. Well, dumbass me has Tennessee beating Purdue to go to the Final four.
Speaker 4: So they do have Dalton Connect.
Speaker 1: They got Dalton Connect.
Speaker 4: If you told me right.
Speaker 5: Now Tennessee against Purdue, I would take Tennessee. Well, I need not like Purdue.
Speaker 1: I referenced it earlier. I feel a little bit of Danny Manning and the Miracles with Connect, and so that's why I have Tennessee going. So I got Yukon, Arizona, Kentucky and Tennessee championship in five and winner is Todd.
Speaker 5: I have Yukon beating Mississippi State, and then I have Duke playing South Carolina and South Carolina polls the upset to go to the final game. The game Cox, go to the final game, and it's Yukon beating the game Cox, and it's Yukon wins it all against South Carolina. I am assuring you right now there is no way Yukon wins it all because I have a futures bed at eleven to one. There's no way I'm gonna win two years in a row. So for sure my bracket is wrong. But I'm taking Yukon against the Game cos.
Speaker 4: I can't carry you guys.
Speaker 2: I think Gilly had his eyes little microphone, my mic was up.
Speaker 1: I was eating mints.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank Scott it, thank you eating.
Speaker 3: We'll meet for the third time in the national title game they split during the regular season. Yukond will win the third and final matchup. Yukon is gonna go back to back.
Speaker 1: Here. I got Yukon beating Arizona, I got Tennessee beating Kentucky, and then I got Yukon beating Tennessee and Dalton Connect who the nation will fall in love with? How many puff pieces will there be about Dalton Connect and his amazing growth spurt? Yukon back to back? Baby?
Speaker 5: The only thing I can assure you right now is do they have a bet betting the field against Yukon?
Speaker 4: Gilly?
Speaker 1: Oh? Not that I've seen? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh okay, because you should go out and beta post.
Speaker 3: Yes, knows on all these teams, I think right, Circa does, Yeah, Circle always has it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't like.
Speaker 5: I hate the fact that all three of us like Yukon. It means the whole world's gonna like Yukon. It means my Yukon ticket is dead. I will be hedging my Yukon ticket as we go along in this tournament if I can't at all, because I can't imagine that we're all going to be right.
Speaker 4: And that Yukon's going to win it All for a second straight time. Ohthough they do look like the best team by far.
Speaker 1: By the way, I was right that Arizona did beat Kentucky in ninety seven in overtime when Ricky Patino coached Kentucky, and I.
Speaker 3: Think they were the first team to ever beat three one seeds in a tournament, because if I remember, Arizona was a four and they beat a sweet they beat a one in the Sweet sixteen, and one in the Elite eight, and then another one in the final four or.
Speaker 2: Something like that. One seed.
Speaker 4: Now, Gilly, who do you like in the nit?
Speaker 1: I guess Indiana State because all these other teams are won't refuse to play in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sucks.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting idea.
Speaker 1: But I mean, by the time all these teams, you know, pass, what will Indiana States number? Because and I understand why these teams are pulling out right, Like the transfer portal is such that the timing of it is like why would we don't know who we have, we don't know who's leaving.
Speaker 4: It could be like the Bull season.
Speaker 5: It could be like the Bull season's year where it was completely different, which by the way, may lead to some amazing in game opportunities. If you're going to watch the NIT on Tuesday and Wednesday night, and you're watching the game and you see that they don't have all the stars in for a particular team, there's no way the lines makers are going to get all this correct because they probably have no idea who's really gonna try, who's really not going to be trying. So there might be some real nice in game opportunities on Tuesday and Wednesday night. In the National Invitational Tournament, it's.
Speaker 3: A lot like ball season, And I remember ball season, we got a ton of underdogs on the money line winning straight up and and just for memory, underdogs typically do pretty well on the money line in the n i T because it's their exhibition games. It's high variants, so maybe you know your round robin. Some of these underdogs on the money line, there's probably worst bets that could be made. And I had I had fezeg on my podcast the other day and he says he loved he's mister under He always bets unders.
Speaker 2: He loves to bet overs in.
Speaker 3: The n i T because it's happy, fun time where the teams they missed they missed out on the tournament. They've been playing, you know, these intense games, and it's ask where the n I T will play a little faster, will play loose?
Speaker 2: Maybe not the intensity on defense?
Speaker 1: Who wants to play?
Speaker 5: That's good fun for your Here's when you can put in your pipe and smoke. It's San Francisco getting six at in this sense against Cincinnati. I wouldn't mind taking San Francisco on the money line. The Dons are very tony.
Speaker 1: You love the Dons, Yeah, you love? You liked them all here by the way, I was just looking at this. You know, they were the last thing with a trivia question in our lifetime. If I asked you how many NCAA title games went to overtime? What would your answer be? What would your guest be?
Speaker 2: I'll say two, todd n See championship games?
Speaker 1: Yes, one. I think I would have guessed one because I remember that Arizona game, being that's Virginia Texas Tech. Virginia would have would I would have come into my mind and I would have been like, wait, no, wait a minute, two because that was recent enough that I remember it. The answer is four, which I never would have guessed.
Speaker 4: Did Memphis go to overtime lines.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Kansas Memphis game went to overtime, the one where Memphis was up nine late that Derek Rose, Derek Rose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did salloup three and Chalmers hit a three to chick the overtime.
Speaker 1: Chalmers hit the three overtime. Yeah, Chalmers hit the three.
Speaker 4: And then Kansas North Carolina game go to overtime. No.
Speaker 1: The other one was so so was Virginia Texas Tech in twenty nineteen. It was Kansas Memphis in two thousand and eight, which Will was right, Kansas. Then, by the way, Virginia won by eight in overtime, where Texas Texas Texas Tech and Kansas won by seven in overtime over Memphis. Uh. The Arizona Kentucky game which I referenced earlier, which Arizona won, they won it by five. And then the other one was nineteen eighty nine, Michigan beats Seaton Hall by a point in overtime.
Speaker 5: Andrew Gays against Rumeo Robinson. I'm guessing it was eighty one eighty is that correct?
Speaker 1: Eighty to seventy nine? Close? Yeah, and Rumeil Robinson got fouled.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Romel Robinson got fouled, remember, and he wanted the free throw line.
Speaker 4: You know where I watched that from.
Speaker 1: I can tell you where I was. Where were you?
Speaker 4: Rusalem, Israel? In the middle of the night. He went down to watch it at someplace that had it.
Speaker 1: Could you go me?
Speaker 5: Nineteen eighty nine. Somehow we were able to get the game and Israe. This is before the internet. I don't even know. I think there was a satellite dish or something somewhere and people found out we could go watch the game at like the Nation newspaper in Jerusalem or something.
Speaker 4: I remember it was. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: The thing is we were I remember being on spring break in the Bahamas, and I swore that Glenn Rice not only never missed a shot that I saw in that tournament.
Speaker 4: He hit the hit every time.
Speaker 5: That was the greatest shooting. That was the greatest shooting exhibition you will ever see.
Speaker 4: But you know it's funny.
Speaker 5: Last night on YouTube, Gillia, I was watching the Barry Goheen against the Pit Panthers. Knocking Pit was like number one team that year, number two, And I don't know why. I popped up on my on my YouTube and I was watching a little bit of it. And it's so funny to watch the game with the three point shot that directly touches the top of the key.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 5: The game is so much more compacted than it is today. And you're watching it and you're like, oh, there's a three that looks really short. And the guy makes the three. You know, Sean Miller, who's the coach now of what's it all? It was the point guard and he's like making these easy threes and it's like.
Speaker 4: Really funny to watch it.
Speaker 5: I'm sure if you watch that eighty nine game it would also be interesting to watch.
Speaker 1: That's right, the three point line intersected with the top of the key. That's how short the three point line was.
Speaker 5: Although and one year the ACC moved the three point line for experimental reasons just during ACC torn ACC play. They moved the three point line halfway from the foul line to the top of the key. It was like it was like two feet shorter. It was like the shortest three point line of all time. If you go back and look in the eighties, there's games where they're taking threes, they're like seventeen foot shots instead of nineteen nine.
Speaker 4: It's really funny to watch.
Speaker 1: All right, then all we can do. So both Will and Todd have Mississippi State getting to the final four. He didn't talk about it before this.
Speaker 4: It's so crazy.
Speaker 1: And you also have South Carolina in your final four as well, Toddy. So there are your headlines that Will had a Yale winning in the in the opening round as well as a bracketbuster.
Speaker 5: If you guys want to make money, for sure, just bet against South Carolina in the first round and also in Mississippi State because I'm sure both of my final fourtunes will go down in the round.
Speaker 1: Because this can't possibly happen two years in a row, right, No, can't.
Speaker 5: Just like Gilly, you should fade Gilly the first five weeks of the NFL Megapod season next year because he can possibly be as good as he was this year. There, it is all right, we're you like thirty eight and fifteen? What was the final score? Something crazy?
Speaker 1: Awesomeness was it was? What it was?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't look.
Speaker 5: I'm the first guy to say he's not a great broadcaster, but hell boy does he make some big in the Megapod.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Tod, appreciate Todd Wishnev everybody at t wish neev who was killing in college basketball for most.
Speaker 4: Of this year, and it was and then I had a terrible drop off. But this past week was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you were feeling it though. Man, no one takes it to heart more than you do for those who are following you. So we know that that was not fun for you.
Speaker 3: Not to elongate this anymore, Sorry, but Todd, did you I do think it's important going forward for the tournament? Did we notice a change in the fouling in the conference tournament? And do we think that has.
Speaker 1: Any itolation in the good question?
Speaker 4: That's so funny that you said that.
Speaker 5: I think we did see more fouling in the conference tournaments than we saw in the regular season. I would still say, though we still did not see as much as we used to see. A perfect example was Wisconsin Illinois yesterday. Willie had under one eighty and a half with thirty six seconds left. The scores nineties, so lucky eighty seven. That's one hundred and eighty. If you're scoring a zero. Wisconsin comes down, there's no chance Willie can win this game. Absolutely no chance. Wisconsin missus a three.
Speaker 4: Get to the rebound scrum around. This is another three scrum around.
Speaker 5: Illinois somehow gets the ball with fifteen seconds left. They throw it the length of a court to a guy who typically would go in and dunk it because there's no one there. Not only does he not dunk it, but Illinois doesn't foul him with around twelve seconds left and the game ends ninety to eighty seven. I would grant you that that is probably the most unlikely winning ever gonna get Willy.
Speaker 1: Well, So here's my question with that. So what this is is based on the fact in the regular season college basketball teams did not foul at the end of games like they used to. And it's almost like a memo guy, and like an email was sent around and everybody agreed to this. Yeah, they all agreed to this at the same time, like we're gonna play this like the pros. We're not gonna elongate these games. We're just gonna do this differently. It's like their version of load management, where they're just like, let's move on to the next game. So we figure as the game's got more consequential that this would change back to how it was. But here you're talking about a big ten championship game right where it was like, okay, what's a Big ten championship? They give a shit about winning that. But even that, it was almost like a quid pro court at the end where they're like, well, he didn't dunk it, so I'm not gonna foul.
Speaker 2: I'm shocked in a half hour, let's go watch the selection.
Speaker 1: What'd you say? No, yeah, the game was a half hour.
Speaker 2: Before the selection.
Speaker 1: That's right. Maybe they yeah, get out of here.
Speaker 2: But here, here's the thing.
Speaker 5: They threw the ball out to Hawkins who had it and he and he instead of going in for the donkey, just curled back out. And I would say there was still like twelve seconds of down six with twelve seconds in the past used to be for sure a foul, and they didn't even they didn't even do it. So I still contend that they did it more so physic was right. They did it more than they did in the regular season. There's no doubt he was correct.
Speaker 2: But I still contend to don't what I think is always right.
Speaker 5: We know that always yeah, But I'm saying they still don't do it as much as they used to in the old time.
Speaker 1: Shannon Sharp, all number one seats. This is unbelievable.
Speaker 4: By the way.
Speaker 5: Speaking of which, if you remember the Missouri if you remember the Princeton Missouri game last year in the NCAA Tournament, I had under one forty one and a half and I was winning by a million.
Speaker 4: It was impossible for me to lose this game.
Speaker 5: Missouri were a bunch of like, uh sore losers and started fouling with two minutes left.
Speaker 4: I literally was going.
Speaker 3: To they're fouling down twenty. It's not like they're down eight. They're literally downtown.
Speaker 4: Twenty with two minutes left, and in the South Point.
Speaker 5: The entire place was laughing at me because every time they were found, I was like blowing my my, my, my top, and people were thought I was going to have a heart attack.
Speaker 4: But I ended up winning by half.
Speaker 1: All right, boys, thank you. Can't thank you enough. Todd Wishev Showtime, Docusaries Action t Wishev on Twitter. If you're not down with this college basketball, you're still letting people in there or it's I mean, it's a yeah.
Speaker 5: I just I just didn't get around to adding a lot of people late in the season, especially because I wasn't doing well late in the season, so you know.
Speaker 4: Hopefully I'll get adding people again.
Speaker 1: All right, Will Hill at not be Will Hill on Twitter, Todds at t wish neev should a bet More podcast is the name of his podcast, and he's also on the bear bet SPoD with Chris Felikan Company.
Speaker 4: You're surprised I'm not on the betspot. How come I'm not on the bear bet spot.
Speaker 1: Well, little anti semitism obviously, I mean, other than that, I think that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 4: It's against renowned Jews.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is. Thanks boys, appreciate it. Thank you for listening. Good luck with all your brackets, good luck with all your bets. March Madness, twenty twenty four,