Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: This is Prime Cuts, the best of the Colin Coward podcast Hell of a Week, John middlecow former pro scout, and I discussed Russell Wilson's image problem, and John gives us his surprise NFL bounceback team. Former Bears coach Dave Wanstat tells me why he's not exactly bullish on this year's Bears team, and one of the smart voices on New York Sports columnist Ian O'Connor on Aaron Rodgers, Saquon Barkley and the Mets meltdown. But first my top takes of the week. You know, I think the Dame drama in Portland's interesting. I think there's this sense from a lot of fans, and I always try to put myself in the position of the player. What would I think if I was the player? What would I think if I was the coach of the GM And there's this sense by I think a lot of fans that you're selfish if you leave a team like Dame, leaving Portland just to go be on a better team. And I think the opposite's true, if you're just going to stay in any franchise that's not remotely viable to win a championship. Then you're basically doing it for the Benjamins. You're just doing it for money. What's the value of that, Like, that's just that's totally about self But if you go to another team, let's say Dame goes to Milwaukee, that's not selfish. He'd be the second best player on a team that's giving. It'd be the first time the ball wouldn't go through him. That's not selfish. That's giving. He wouldn't be the face of a franchise. That's not selfish. That's giving. That's relinquishing, that's passing a baton to somebody else. That's the opposite of selfish. You know, when Bradley Beal for years stayed in Washington, that was all about comfort, making good money, and being the man. And Bradley Beal finally went to management and said, I want to go win some games. I'm going to go somewhere like Phoenix. Well, when Bradley Beal goes to Phoenix, he's not going to get the most shots booker will Durant Meygett second most. He's the third best player on a team. That's the opposite of selfish. He is giving up shots, giving up where he lives, giving up comfort, giving up friends. So I just I don't buy into this, and I think it's good for the league long term if most of your stars stay. But one of the things I've always appreciated about Lebron James is his ability to acclimate to new teammates, new coaches, new cultures, and new cities. It's hard. He didn't win first year at a high school in Cleveland. He didn't win first year in Miami. He didn't win first year back at Cleveland, he didn't win first year in Los Angeles. Lebron James was the best player in the league in all of those and arguably the best player ever. Why because moving's hard? Help the studio I'm in. I just sold this house. I will have to move. It's a pain in the ass. And that's just down the block. Can you imagine moving your family into a new city where all he's rich, rich or not. Moving's difficult, it's discomfort, it's new, this, new that. So you know, when I look at Dame, do you just want to sit in Portland and collect checks and be comfortable and be the man and get what you want? It's much harder, you say, Oh, you go to Miami, greater expectations. You won't get every big shot. You may not be the most popular player in town. Jimmy Butler is BAM's got loyalists the franchise. Riley Spolstra, you're the new guy in town. If he goes to Milwaukee and Yannis, they've already got a ring before you. How much credit will you get for the second ring. So I look at loyalty as a two way street. You know, Portland is a market that geographically pinned up in the Pacific Northwest, not a huge free agent hub. I mean, they've never had an NBA All Star Game because they don't have enough hotel rooms. Now I think they're putting in a I believe, a Ritz Carlton, so they'll finally be able to get like a, you know, an NBA All Star Game. But for years they've never had one. They're the oldest franchise in the league without ever having hosted an NBA All Star Game. It's a small town and Dame's the biggest star in it, So I don't think it's disloyal at all. I think you have to give a lot to take the risk of pressure. I mean, going to Miami is going to be an incredibly pressurized situation. Riley's an icon, Spolster's code of the Year. Bam Butler just got to the finals with undrafted guys. Dame goes to Miami and they don't get back to the finals. Who do you thinks taken that heat? It's not Bam, it's not Spo, it's not Butler, it's Dame. There is a risk involved. The avalanche comes down the hill, it's gonna land on Dame. These guys got to the finals as an eight seed. So the idea of just joining super teams, you do understand that if you take out Lebron James, the whole mobility thing in the league doesn't work as well as you think. Kevin Durant joined a team that already won a title, but then he goes to Brooklyn. It implodes. Phoenix may implode. It's okay if you want to just play for the checks, the comfort, the stardom, the fame, stay in your city forever. But I applaud Bradley Beal for what he did, and I would applaud Dame for going on a potential championship team, taking some risk, taking some heat, and letting others watch him, which he deserves. In May and June, still playing. Now time for the volumes. John Middelcoff, the former NFL scout, hosts two podcasts, Three and Out. That's his volume NFL podcast and Go Low his golf podcast, which is gaining steam. So I saw her, Mike McGlinchey, the new right tackle, former Niner. Good tackle, not great, not Tristan Wurse, but a good tackle, good right tackle, not Lane Johnson. But I saw where McGlinchey said, Okay, I changed my mind. I didn't like Russ, and now I watched this work ethic. I'm into Russ, and it is weird. When he left Brady leaves New England twenty years there, you would have thought he would have offended somebody, an executive, a sales guy, a player, a coach, a trainer. Everybody loved him. Tears flowing. Russ is there a third of the time, leaves Seattle and gets dogged by everybody former teammates. Do you think it's just as simple as people view him as inauthentic.
Speaker 3: I think that plays a part. I think they were a defensive lead team. I think the individual instances that happened in the Super Bowl, right with Marshawn Lynch, everything that hovered around that. I think without that, let's just say they win it. I don't know if it quite gets his I mean he got pretty negative. I do think people think he's kind of a weird guy. And I would say this quarterbacks. I mean, you've got a lot of theories on quarterbacks. You go back to junior high they're usually kind of the lead dog. Everyone follows them, and then by the time you get to high school, they're getting girls that are looking. Maybe they get into college, they get good jobs. If they're not able to play professional football, they just feel like the leader of the crew. And that's not always fair because just because you play quarterback doesn't mean you have leadership traits. And I think Russell really always tried to embrace that. He really wanted it, which I respect, but I don't think you can fake it if you don't have it all. And it's really hard, right like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, those guys are kind of outliers. Patrick Mahomes right, they got it all. Steph Curry, I mean, the character, the focus, the talents. Everyone likes them. They want to hang with them. It's most you know, Rogers all time great player, but you know rubs people the wrong way sometimes, and you know it's been very hit or miss over his career as a leader. I also think just anytime that you play bad and the way that it was Pete versus Russ, and I know where you stood.
Speaker 4: I was with you.
Speaker 3: I thought I'd probably bet on Russ the house Seattle going to win this trade. And it takes time, but I would say they're definitely in the lead right now when you factor in the picks, when you factor in the cap relief, when you factor in how much success they had last year. I mean Gino Smith just in a vacuum had a better season than Russell Wilson had. How crazy is that? When you really say that out loud.
Speaker 2: When Russ came out of the draft, that was in your scouting days or around that time when you were a scout in the NFL. Do you remember Russell Wilson's draft file very well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he was beloved. There was I remember a story from one of our scouts that went through Wisconsin. Right and when they do the measuring, now, these players don't even do half the things at a pro day, right, but he was back just ten years ago. Everyone did everything, and when he was getting measured, I think, you know, he was a shade under It started with five ten something and then they're like and they said five to eleven flat, and every scout applauded because everyone in the room was rooting for him and with the Eagles. I mean, it's been well documented over the years. Daniel Jeremiah loved him, Andy loved him, how he loved him, and I think we and I saw a recent article about how we talking about Jalen Hurts and looking back when they got cute with Russell Wilson and when you like a guy at that position, why try to get an extra pick and get a guy in the third round when you can just take him in the second round. And look what happened to the Eagles, same type deal. Most people, including myself, that Jalen Hurts in the second round that's insane, probably could have got the guy in the fourth. Well, I would say they don't regret doing it. And Russell, I mean, he was really kind of a trendsetter, right. I remember being younger and Doug Flutie, there were just weren't short quarterbacks, especially mobile short quarterbacks, so he was his time. Whether he's washed down, I will say this, and I've been to several Seattle Niner games live. I think he's one of the most remarkable players I've ever seen. In his heyday. You know, he had some Steve Young. It was just it was unreal. Now the guy we saw last year, we're about to find out. Was it all Nate Hacket or is Sean can Shawn resurrect him? Or sometimes I think we've kind of become numb. Right, everyone has a long twenty year shelf life. Well, some guys just peek out for twelve years. That's a pretty long career. That used to be the norm, right, Colin. Yeah, And what I watched Russell. The thing that struck me is that he was still very effective running. He just stopped doing it now. He would get into late game situations when Nathaniel Hackett was a coach and he would take off once or twice, and he was still very effective. I think when he got the big money, I'm going to theorize this. When he got the big money, and I'm talking you know, his contract was mahomes Ish Peyton manning ish right when he got that big money, I think Russell said to himself, Okay, this has been reserved for guys to sit in the pocket. I'm not gonna I'm not going to be run around Russ anymore. I want to prove I can do it from the pocket. And I really felt that he wanted to do He wanted to sort of pivot to a older in the pocket, can win it the line of scrimmage quarterback, when in truth he's the same size mostly as Tua, who has acknowledged publicly there are times I can't see over the offensive lineman. So I think Russ got stubborn. I talked to somebody who had looked at film of Russ, and they're like, sometimes he looked stubborn. Is that he there's much better angles, you know, slide in the pocket. Russ kind of felt like, this is my take. He kind of wanted to prove, Okay, this is a contract that's been for the great pocket passers of all time. I'm not going to be wild, crazy run around Russ. And then when Peyton got there, you've noticed he's lost weight this offseason. I think Peyton said, Russ, you know if Drew Brees could have run, he would have run. It's an asset lean into it. Well, think about all the great running quarterbacks, probably post the nineteen seventies. Yeah, I don't consider like John Elway, even though he's mobile, or Aaron Rodgers a running quarterback. I think Steve Young beat the drum the hardest. You have to win within the pocket, and he was a better athlete than even those guys, right, but he became a Hall of Famer and MVP ultimately with his arm. And I think historically would say that's how you have to transition because the Mike Vicks, we'll see with Lamar, you just take a pounding Kyler Murray. It's hard when you are kind of this hybrid running back. Now you could argue maybe the rules a little safer to run. Guys are less, you know, less likely to go Steve Atwater, John Lynch on your body down the field. I do think you can incorporate it if you do it right better than ever. Like Steve Young could not have done that. He would not have lasted as long as he did if he kept taking off like Russell did most of his career. I just think that sometimes in life, list has happened to probably most humans, not at the level in which Russell because he's such a public figure. But you get humbled in life, you really got two options, right, you kind of go back to the drawing board, because he's always been chasing greatness and trying to be like a top fifteen to twenty quarterback of all time and be a Hall of Fame guy, which he probably already is. But I just mind, is he just going to be a laughingstock moving forward? Is he a prideful guy that we saw forever and that butted heads with some of those defensive guys and wanted to be a starts. He's definitely one of the most fascinating stories in the league when you factor in his you know, the coach edition, right.
Speaker 2: All right, let's bring on the coach Dave Wanstat former Bears head coach, Dolphins head coach coordinator for the Super Bowl champ being Cowboys coach at Pitt Miami Hurricanes DC. So big year for Chicago. I think the Justin fields after two years. We know he's talented, he can move, he's got a whip for an arm, but a lot of mistakes, some not his, but there'll be a sense Dave that after this year you either go to jettison, move off him, or lean into him. You've been to practice. What is your takeaway on what you've seen.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the first thing you said, a big year for Chicago. I think the people in Chicago and I don't know if they'll get it, but it's what I'm preaching. I think this needs to be a reasonable improvement year for Justin Fields.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I need to go out and be Aaron Rodgers, okay when he was in Green Bay. I mean, he needs and to improve one hundred percent. But I think it needs to be reasonable. But when I look at Chicago, they have two number one picks next year. Everybody that they free agency, plus the draft picks. There's not a player on their roster that they signed that was older than twenty six. And I spent about an iron with Ryan Pooles, the general manager, for about a week ago, two weeks ago, and you know that they have purposely built a young football team and it's not talked about, but I think that, yes, Justin Fields needs to perform. I think it's the Philadelphia Eagles blueprint, you know. I mean, let's let's all if we're all honest with ourselves, me included. Before last season, I wasn't sure if Jalen Hurts could beat the guy and the Eagle. I don't think the Eagles thought that either. Calin and they're sitting there with two number one picks and they're saying to themselves, I promise you, if he's not the guy, we're going up to the first, they can get a quarterback. The Bears. I don't think it'll happen. No one's talking about it, but they have the draft picks to do something. If it doesn't work out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the listen, I will say. By getting Robert Tanyan, they now have two tight ends Cole Commit by getting I'm not a huge Chase Claypool fan, but I do love DJ Moore. I think Mooney is more than capable. I went and looked at the PFF grades for their offensive line. It's not as bad as say the New York Giants or the Tennessee Titans last year. It's kind of middle of the pack. I think they found a left tackle last year in the draft. So my takeaway is I don't need Justin Fields to be a playoff quarterback. But I don't think if he struggles, we can blame the personnel, Dave. I think the Bears have given him good enough pieces to work with and win ten games. Is that fair?
Speaker 4: That's fair?
Speaker 1: And you know what, when I was up there, Dj Moore made three catches that Bear receivers haven't made in three years. And the guy that was smiling the most and won the head coach and won the general manager. It was just the fields, you know. So they have really connected from the standpoint of a confidence between quarterback and receiver. You mentioned Robert Tunyan. I think he might be this you talk about a stealing free agency they had. They sure if Clay Poole comes on, fantastic if he doesn't. When I saw Robert Tunyan and they've flexed him out like they used to do with todygan Zalz back in the day, and he can beat safeties one on one. I mean he is that type of athletic tight end or you bring him in tight so he that's a heck of a signing for the Bears. It truly is. So. I think they feel real good about their passing game and uh, you know, and they're going to be committed to run the ball, the whole key, and I was upper and Luke Jetsey, you know, the offensive coordinator. He worked for me at FIT. I got a great four with him and and he said, you know, we got to take the next step. We're going to take the next step. We got to be balanced. We've got to be balanced in this and so it's it's exciting. But I do agree they do have the weapons.
Speaker 2: What's the typical Chicago Bear fan reasonable not liquored up. If you said, would they be disappointed with nine and eight and justin fields showing improvement, Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, they probably would. But I think it's seven eight win team. I think they're a seven eight win team with justin Field showing improvement. I'm concerned about the Bears defense. I'm not concerned about the rump. I mean their defense coach. The leading guy soccer for him was Brisker the strong safety last year.
Speaker 4: I never heard of that.
Speaker 1: I think got the most sacks on your team is a strong safety. That's scarely No. They added they're gonna have They got three free agents on the defensive line. They drafted to defensive linemen, the Stevenson kid. I'll tell you what. The guy they drafted in the third round out of Miami kay Tyree Stevenson. This kid, when I was at practice, he's going to be a starter at corner. And this is big. I was talking to head coach Matt Eberfluss, and they run a steam that's kind of like what we did at Dallas and kind of like what Tony Dungee did at Tampa. It's a combination of two, with the point being that they have to get pressure. With their four guys, they're always going to be one of the least blitzing defenses in the NFL. So the guy that really important is that nickelback. He's the most important guy in their defense, and that's Kyler Gordon. Last year, Kyler Gordon bear fans know this. He played corner, then they put him at nickel he was now guess what he's full time. You're the nickelback. Don't worry about anything else. We got Jalen Johnson on one side, and we got Tyreek Stevenson, who had today I was the guy had an interception for a touchdown, knocked down three balls. This guy from Miami, he's he's gonna be a big time player. That was a great pick for them, and it's going to fit into their defense perfectly. But it's go to come down. Can they get a pressure? You know, I don't see it. It's gonna be tough. It's gonna be tough.
Speaker 2: Well, the good news Aaron Rodgers is out of division, Dalvin Cook will be out of division. Detroit moved off DeAndre Swift. I still think they're Detroit. I think we're overvaluing them a little. They didn't make the playoffs. I think they win a couple more games, but it's a winnable division. Coach Minnesota is not gonna go eleven to zher in one score games. That's not happening again. So I don't think. I mean, I just think this is the year for Chicago. I think they could be a ten win team. They've got to cut down on mistakes and let's be honest, Justin moves. He's got to stay healthy. I worry about that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like them. I love them. In the opener, you know, they open up with the packlers Jordan Love right here at Chicago. Wow, that's gonna be an excite I mean, there's gonna be a lot of pressure on them. I like the Bears are. I kind of disagree with you. One thing. I'm picking Detroit. I like Detroit to win this division. I'll tell you what they You know, obviously, they drafted Gibbs, the running back from Alabama to transferred from Georgia Tech. But they got David Walker, and David Walker is an angry David. I'm sorry David Montgomery who was with the Bears. And this kid's a heck of a football player. So they got the rookie Gibbs the number one pick, and they got David Montgomery the running back. They that's they got the receivers back, you know, they got Marvin Jones, they got Saint Brian coming back. They drafted this Laported kid, and I know it was Iowa, but he's not just the number one tight end. He had the most receptions of any tight end in the Big Ten Conference. And this kid is a player now and no one I can't get aim body excited. But my guy for defensive player of the Year in the Big Ten Conference for the last three years was Jack Campbell and they drafted him in the first round. A big linebacker. No one's saying Jack Campbell. This guy gets interested. He's six ' five Look at his calm. Anybody's out there it's questioning me. Look at the guy's combine times. The guy makes interceptions, he makes sacks, he makes one hundred plus tackles every year. He graduated like six years ago. I mean, the guy's brook. This guy, I'm telling you, I'm excited. And then who does Detroit get. They get the Branch, the safety from Alabama, who I thought was it going to be a second round pick or some people at him higher. They get him in a third round. This guy's going to commit and play for them. He's a heck of a player. Taught the saving about him. I think Detroit did really well in the draft. I'm on their bandwagon. I wrote him.
Speaker 2: Every year I make picks, and my woe pick of this year in the NFL, the surprise pick is I'm taking Miami to win the division first. I think Vic Fangio right now is maybe the best defensive coordinator in the sport. They saw by bringing Jalen Ramsey over, they solved the corner issue. I don't love their offensive line, but if you look at Mike McDaniel's system, it's Kyle Shanahan's system. It has always been better day for quarterbacks in the second year of it, it's pretty complex. I look at what Miami put together. I watched them play the Bills three times last year. They beat them once. They could have beaten them a second time with Tua and Skyler Thompson played them close. And my takeaway was, I don't feel right now that Buffalo has had a good last five or six months. Stefon Diggs's complaining they lost one of their safeties. I have questions about McDermott, his rigidity. Leslie Fraser just said get me out of here because McDermott wouldn't let him call plays. There's a little bit of coaching tension. I if Tua's upright, I saw I put on about fifteen pounds. You tell me your thoughts. I think Mike McDaniel in year two of that offense. I've watched Shanahan in Atlanta, I watched them in San Francisco. It's that second year, Dave. I think Miami's gonna be a handful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. I mean we'll start with uh, you know, adding Ramsey. But the best addition they had is Vic fan Joe. You know. Now in Vic's defense, and I know pretty good. Vic's defense is not a blitzing defense. I mean, you know when they were there with with Brian Flores, it was pressure, pressure, pressure. This is not that. So having the extra corner, you know, having Ramsey teamed up with Howard, I mean, that's a great, great combination. Uh. But they're gonna have to generate rush up front. To me, Bradley Chubb is the guy. He's this guy's got to show up. You know, last year they made the big trade for him. They got him there, and I think Vick will be the guy that'll be able to push the right buttons to get a big year out of him. But they've got to generate. They're gonna have to generate pass rush with the guys up front. That's one point. The other thing that I think has to happen is, you know, Mike McDaniels, you mentioned the Buffalo games calling. It really bothered me. They had Skyler Thompson, who you get, that thirteen quarterback in there, and they threw the ball twice as many times as they ran it. And I'm watching that game and I remember when I got the Bears job, you know, and I was out and the lake Chuck Noll had just stepped down from the Steelers and we were playing golf and he said, Dave, never forget why you get you're a head coach. No, never forget why you're a head coach. I said, what do you mean? He says, when you got hired because of your defensive expertise. So I'm watching that Dolphin Buffalo game and I'm thinking to myself, Mike McDaniels was the run coordinator run coordinator at San Francisco, and they aren't running the ball. If they run the football, I'm convinced they were. So the only question I have is, you know, they're going to have to be balanced. And when you got Tua and you got the firepower, you know, Tyreek Kid and all the waddle and everybody, it's real tempting to want to get them the ball. Big plays, big pellies. But I'll tell you what this is good Mike mc if he wants to win big, he's gonna have to be balanced, and he's gonna have to continue running the football. I don't he's gonna show me that he'll do that. I'm not convinced he wants to do it. Well.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. Kyle Shanahan has Debo and George Kittle and Brandon Ayuk and Christian McCaffrey, and he commits to the run despite how having those options. I mean, when I think of the Niners, I think of a physical run game, yep. I don't even think of passing no.
Speaker 1: And you know the other thing too, with the Tua. You mentioned Tua, and I'm not gonna blitz him. I'm not going to take a chance of trying to cover Tyra kill one on one. But I'll tell you what's going to happen. Tua in his mind, if you went through the concussion stuff that he went through or anybody did, that's going to be on your mind. And they're going to be saying, get the ball, why quick, right, don't take a chance. They don't run up. He's not running quarterback read stuff. So put that aside. That's not going to happen. But get the ball out quick. He's gonna see man press coverage. I would play him man and I would lock up those receivers and knowing that the ball is going to come out quick, and so he's gonna you know, he makes good decisions, makes good decisions. We're going to find out how accurate he is. He's going to have to be real accurate this year because I don't think he's going to get very many wide open, easy throws. Well.
Speaker 2: The other thing with Tua is because his injuries are a concussion base that you can't bring him back with another concussion for four to six weeks. So to your point, I think McDaniel realizes that they'll run it more and it'll be a lot of a lot of what Brady ran. Just get the ball out Garoppolo by the way, one thousand and one, one thousand and two, let it ripe. And I also think McDaniel's knows his weakness is his offensive front in a division with Buffalo's pass rush, the Jets pass rush, and Belichick's defensive front. So I do think there's a way Miami will play run it quick, passing protect to it because he goes down. You know, they brought Mike White in for the Jets for a reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so in near minds, they probably got a good backup, but it's not to us. So it'll be interesting to see if McDaniel's can do that.
Speaker 2: So you're from Pittsburgh, coached the Panthers for years, you've got a lot of friends there. Still I went, and the other day I went and sort of burrowed down on the Steelers. There's a couple of things that are interesting. Number one is they win. Over the last three years when TJ. Watt plays, they win seventy five percent of their games. And although he was banged up last year, in his history, he doesn't get hurt. And one of the reasons I lean Steelers over Baltimore for the while the card spot is if you take their eight best players, and I include Najie Harris, their tight end, Kenny Pickett, Minka Fitzpatrick, I go Cam Hayward, I go down the line. None of them have an injury history. And virtually all of the Ravens' best players except tight end Mark Andrews, do have a playoff history. And I don't know if Tomlin is more measured at practice, but the Ravens have been banged up for four years in a row and the Steelers are rarely hurt. And I went back and I looked at Pittsburgh's last six games last year. I didn't from beginning to end watch all of them, Dave, because the AFC has so many more compelling teams. At the end of last year, Kenny Pickett was pretty good. The defense was great, Kenny Pickett was pretty good. What are you hearing?
Speaker 1: Well, I know this for a fact. Last year, at this time going into training camp, he was getting the third team more reps. I mean, was Mitch Trubisky, It was Mason Rudolph, and it was Kenny Pickett. So his practice time was a third And you know, I don't think I think they went into that thing. Mike Tomlin said that Mitch Trubisky is a starter, which he did, and so I look at that and say, you know, that's a lot of time for a rookie not to be getting the reps that he needs. And then the guy that's probably going to be his top receiver, and then what's his name got hurt. Deontay Johnson was hurt. Okay Uh Pickens, George Pickens, the second round pick out of Tennessee. He's a star. This guy. He it took him, They tell me it took him two or three, you know, a couple of weeks into the season before he started getting the field for the thing. I mean, they were hoping that Claypool, they were hoping to Chase Claypool was the guy. You gotta remember, Chase Claypool went from their number one receiver to two to three, and so all the sudden, now all of a sudden, you're seeing Pickings getting more reps and Deontay Johnson they're getting him boo and then they find out how good friar move. You mentioned him the tight end from Pat Steak. Yeah, this kid is a player. He's got phenomenal him. It wasn't until about that halfway through the season where Pickets getting enough reps. Pickings is picking up the offense and now they're realizing, hey, we got a tight end too. So I think I like Pittsburgh. I mean their offense, they're stars. The guys we're talking about are all like twenty five years or younger, right, So I mean the arrow is definitely up for that offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's did you like, can he pick it out of college? I've always said he feels very B plus at everything. He's got a good enough arm, good enough size, good enough mobility. I don't I don't see a lot of special but I don't see a lot of Dave. I don't see any holes. I don't I don't see anything that he can move left, he throws right, he's mobile, he can take a hit. My takeaway is, you know, there's a little bit of a CJ. Stroud where I'm like, he looks good enough at everything, maybe great at nothing. What did you hear from your pit people about Kenny coming out.
Speaker 1: I was back there at pitt when they were practicing and sitting in there and talking to Pat and Ardouzi, the head coach, and the offensive court and all the intangible things that you mentioned, and then put a layer of toughness. This guy is a street tough kid, and this kid is a competitor. And I think that you know you talked about he's got good enough arm strength, he understands the game, he gets the big picture, on and on and on. But now you put in that toughness and those those intangible things, they're real. They are real. And you know they share the facility back your pit and the Steelers share facilities, so they're in the same building where they're eating, and they're on the practice field on leave and the other ones. No one had better exposure to Kenny Pickett for his whole career than Mike Tomlin and the Steelers and Kevin Colbert at that time in the whole Steeler organization. So they know what they're getting there, and I know they are excited.
Speaker 2: Well, he's my favorite East Coast voice. Ian O'Connor a four time New York Times best selling author the book on Coach k Derek Jeter Belichick three for three, All Fantastic, New York Daily News, Now The New York Post, USA Today, ESBN, known him, loved him for years. He is now joining us, and we got a lot to talk about. So I remember when I lived in Connecticut. You're really in the belly of the beast, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Phillies. It's just sports talk is driven by it out West. It is not. It's more of an NBA NFL discussion. But the intensity in the passion is redeemable. And I missed so much not hearing Sports Talk Radio New York. After the Mets late inning Melton against the Phillies, I watched it. I just happened to stumble on it. Good hell Ian that is as hits batsman walks one hit, multiple runs. What was that? The tipping point? Is Buck Showalter in trouble? After that moment.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's a tipping point, Colin, because it feels like I live with a fatalistic Mets fan. My wife's been a diehard Mets fan for forty five fifty years basically, and so it feels like they just run into each other and I can't differentiate.
Speaker 4: One from the other.
Speaker 5: And I don't think it's the tipping point as far as Showalter is concerned, because last year he won one hundred and one games. That's the second most victories in the history of the New York Mets franchise. Davy Johnson won one hundred and eight nineteen eighty six, and nobody's done better than Showalter did in year one. So I don't think you can fire him in the middle of year two. I really don't, and so I think he deserves the rest of the season. However it unfolds and it's getting uglier by the hour, and then have the conversation in the offseason is he worthy of year three? But I think to whack him in the middle of two would be doing him a real injustice because just based on his track record, he did so much good last year and I think, actually you could make a case I remember the general manager of the Mets, Steve Phillips, did this in nineteen ninety nine. The Mets were unraveling and one night he decided, I'm going to fire all of Bobby Valentine's coaches, and the Mets went on an absolute tear, made the playoffs and almost made.
Speaker 4: The World Series that year.
Speaker 5: You could argue it makes sense to fire a coach right now, or maybe they should have done it last week and try to ignite the team that way, keeping Showalter and the GM Billy Eppler in place at least for now, I think that made that makes more sense in firing showld.
Speaker 2: You know, they're not hitting, they're not getting the ball in play, if Pete Alonzo's not healthy, they don't have any power. It's pretty simple. They're not doing anything particularly well. But I would argue, if you look at the Verlanders and the Shrsers, they were built for late season baseball. They almost assumed they would be good late in the year. They built this team, you know, for July. You know, I would say August fifteenth on to be ready to go. So you know, when I look, I always feel you can buy relevance. It's very difficult to buy wins. Lindor's not playing well, they're not hitting. I was thinking about this before the interview today. I can't remember the last because the Mets team last year really struggled to put together runs and rallies. It wasn't a great hitting team. It lacked power. When is the last Maybe it's just again, you would know this. When's the last Mets team that was an offensive power?
Speaker 4: That's a good question, and I'm going back to two thousand.
Speaker 5: They're in the World Series against the Yankees, and They've had a few teams here and there that I would put in that category at least close to it, certainly not this one. And you're right, Lindor is now a three hundred and forty one million dollar player, though he's been playing better lately, and that's part of the problem.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: Steve Cohen just had a press conference. I'm not sure why he called that press confersen, because they really say a whole hell of a lot other than he's fortunate to have found Billy Eppler's general manager. Yet I'm still looking for a president Baseball Operations to effectively replace him, So I'm not sure how that makes much sense. A lot of people in baseball believe David Sterens and the Milwaukee Brewers will be the guy in the offseason when he's finally a free agent. I think Steve Cohen's been trying to hire him for a couple of years. And then you go from there. But it's starting pitching. The Mets, who used to be known for starting pitching. That's really what's failed them colin this year, and it's been a domino effect from that point. It's Verlander, he gives you five, he throws a hundred pitches, he's got to come out, and now you have to go to the middle of relief. That's been a real problem on this team, trying to get to the good back of the bullpen arms. And even last night with Hardway coming in the game as tied game and right away you're trailing.
Speaker 4: That's been the problem.
Speaker 5: It's saying to Verlander and other pitchers, the starting pitchers not giving you any length, and then you're using the worst players on your team as a bridge, and it's a very wobbly one at that and that's really been a big part of why the Mets are where they are.
Speaker 2: You know, I think one of the things I learned when I lived back out East, and I actually miss it is the intensity of the media and the intensity of the pressure. For all the money the Mets have now and for all the money the Yankees have had for years, I couldn't say the last time the Yankees drafted and developed an ace. They just they went and purchased pitching. And I understand that. You could say they have great revenue, but so do the Braves, and they do it. So to the Dodgers, and they do it. Braves have no problem with that. It's not just a revenue issue. Is it possible that? And I saw this with the Brooklyn Nets. The downside in New York is it's expensive to live there, it's expensive to travel. You need to win. People aren't going to spend money on those tickets. When there's two NFL teams, two Baseball teams, two NBA that some of what has happened in New York Baseball is just a pressure cooker in the reality of this baseball centric market. It puts enormous pressure on players.
Speaker 5: Well, certainly that's part of it, and particularly when baseball is the ultimate like golf, the ultimate game of failure. And on top of that, the twenty four to seven scrutiny and the social media age. New York being the biggest, loudest market is certainly in there among the reasons that you could rank at the top of the list as to why the Mets in particular are unraveling this season. I think the Yankees with that third wildcard, are going to make the playoffs every year, and that third wildcard, And with the Mets, who should keep you If you're spend ending X amount of dollars, you should be in the tournament. And in baseball, as you know, we saw last year with the Phillies, and of course they made a change in the middle of the season firing Girardi. Once you get in anything can happen, particularly in baseball. It's like, and I had this conversation with Alex Rodriguez years ago, and to some extent with Aaron Judge. In baseball or in basketball, you give Lebron James and his prime the ball every time up the floor in a big spot. You can't send Aaron Judge or a rod to the plate every time in the ninth inning in a big spot in October.
Speaker 1: It's not the way baseball works.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot on the individual superstar in baseball, like Gay Lindor is not really a superstar.
Speaker 4: He's not playing like one.
Speaker 5: Or any of these guys to try to carry a team because they can only do so much.
Speaker 4: It's the nature of that sport.
Speaker 5: So I think there's a lot of pressure on the stars in baseball because they can't impact winning and losing like a quarterback in football or a two guard in the NBA.
Speaker 4: New York magnifies that in baseball.
Speaker 5: And I think again, going back to the Mets where they are right now, is that they didn't develop the picture that they did develop the Grom left, of course, and Matt Harvey was good for a while they developed him, and right now they don't have a top pitching prospect.
Speaker 4: So Cohen realized that when he bought the team.
Speaker 5: So I'm going to go out and spend a ton of money on the Max Scherzers and Justin Verlanders and try to do it that way. The problem is it leaves you with a four hundred and forty five million dollar bill at the end of the season that could be a sub.
Speaker 4: Five hundred season.
Speaker 2: You know, you tweeted something the other day about Otani and the Mets, and it's kind of understood. The Dodgers this offseason pulled back. They let Cody Bellinger go. Kershaw's contract was quick, justin Turner. They pulled back on revenue, and the feeling was they were saving another seventy five million for the Otani deal. A remarkable player, but the Angels are literally the least talked about franchise in Southern California outside of the hockey teams, So the Dodgers. There's a real sense that Otani and the Dodgers are working behind the scenes. Though though the Angels have said we'd never trade for him, I'm not sure or trade him. I'm not sure why if I could get if I could get something for Otani knowing he's leaving, So there's a sense in Southern California he'll be a Dodger. They certainly have the revenue streams. They outdraw I think the second place Yankees by seven thousand people per game. I mean, the Dodgers are an enormously popular franchise like the Yankees in New York. It's a it's an ATM machine. Boston doesn't feel like they can compete financially. John Carlos Stanton. It's not a miss, but it's not worth what they paid for him. Garrett Cole's not a miss, but it doesn't feel like it's been a hit. Sure'ser not a hit. Would the match of the Yankees be willing to spend the most money ever on a baseball star? Would they?
Speaker 5: I think the Mets will and the Yankees will not be willing to do that. I think Eric call I'd push back a little bit on that. I think he's had a couple of shaky postseason moments, but he's I think he's lived up to the terms of his contract, and so I think Steve Cohen, now this is more reason for him to god and spend god knows what six hundred and fifty million dollars to try to outbid the Dodgers for Otani. This is going to be fascinating to watch because the Mets are going to miss the playoffs or eight and a half games behind the third wildcard spot, which is really hard to believe at four hundred and forty five million when you include the revenue luxury taxes that Steve Cohen is paying.
Speaker 4: So is he going to double down when his farm.
Speaker 5: System is not producing great talent right now, at least on the pitching front. And we'll see about Alvarez, who I think will be a really good catcher for the next dozen years for the Mets. Baby will see. But I do think Steve Cohen now has more reason to go all in on Otani and try to outbid the Dodgers and just spend them into oblivion. Is a guy who's worth eighteen billion dollars or close to it. So that is going to be a deathmatch in the offseason between the Dodgers and the Mets.
Speaker 4: I think the Dodgers will win it.
Speaker 5: They're certainly the leader in the clubhouse, but I think Steve Cohen is going to make them really sweat on that one and spend a lot more money than they really want to spend.
Speaker 2: All right, pivot to football. The early season schedule is rough for the Jets. Aaron's never played behind a mediocre offensive line. One of the things New England and the Packers have done is established consistent top ten O lines without drafting offensive linemen in the first round. So I mean he's had Pro bowlers all over the O line. So this old line is Elijah Vera Tucker. Major questions at both tackles. I believe a rookie center, not a ton of depth. I think it's a little bit of an undoing for this. This is going to be first defensive coach for Aaron Rodgers, first suboptimal O line, really tough division and a harsh city that's not terribly forgiving. What is a realistic expectation for the Jets nation? For the people you talk to when you write a column, the reaction, It's easy for me to just say, I mean, I think it's a nine win team. The division's probably the best in football. What say you and a New Yorker who's a Jets fan? What is realistic that will satisfy them at year end? Take a Super Bowl out.
Speaker 5: I'll say ten and seven, make the Wildcard, finish second behind Buffalo, and win a Wildcard round game and then losing the divisional round at Kansas City at Cincinnati, get whacked in that second playoff game.
Speaker 4: But I think that's the problem is look at that schedule.
Speaker 5: I mean, the first ten games, they could be three and seven and not be playing that poorly, playing both super Bowl teams right Philly and Kansas City. They're in that division, they're starting against Buffalo, but at home, so that's a game they really almost have to win if you look at the first ten games. So I think the formula for success, at least the way I define it is go four and six in those first ten games, and then they're winnable games those finals seven. They can go maybe five and two sixty one, sneak into the playoffs as a wild card, win a game, and then face the end in the division around at Kansas City.
Speaker 4: So I think that's a successful season.
Speaker 5: And then add to enter year two of Aaron Rodgers as one of the Super Bowl favorites to get out of the AFC, I think that is at least somewhat realistic, but maybe to too optimistic perhaps, And talking to some Jets fans who are used to I always say this, they hate when I say it. The Jets have not reached the super Bowl, never mind win one since man stepped on the moon.
Speaker 4: That was a long time ago. They're used to.
Speaker 5: They're wired to feel the worst is going to happen. But I'm going to be pretty optimistic and I'll say ten and seven and make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be really interesting. Because the Packers furnished him with very good protection and two offensive coaches. Say what you will about Mike McCarthy, there is We're seeing this in New England with Belichick, who's virtually tone deaf to offense made a DCDOC can't draft skilled players to save his life. Even the best defensive coaches, they really they don't talk the same language. So this is Aaron's and Nathaniel Hackett's coming off for bruising, ugly performance in Denver. So I do feel the pressures really on Aaron to run the offense, and he's okay at that, but he can also be a little aloof and a little disengaged at times. Here's the thing that I've noticed about Aaron that I don't think he's a bad guy. He can be a little bit of a finger pointer, a little passive aggressive when things go south. New York is going to force you to answer tough questions. A green Bay Midwestern media in is just not the same.
Speaker 4: Like you drive.
Speaker 2: I can remember driving to work when I was at ESPN, and I would turn on New York radio and it would set the tone for the discussion of the week, like it's a tone setter, And I think you can kind of roll your eyes. If you're Aaron Rodgers at the small market, you know, Green Bay, relax, you go relax to New Yorkers, that's not gonna play like they're don't relax. What they're known for is intensity. How do you think the Aarin media thing will play out?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: So far, it's been a really good marriage.
Speaker 5: I think he came in wanting to make the best possible impression on the New York market, the fans, and the media. I think the New York media thing is a little bit of a mid since I've been in it for thirty seven years. In that I think there's just more of us would probably judge you a little more harshly than every other market outside of Boston. But I don't think the New York media is unfair. It's large and it's tough, but not unfair. So he's got an opportunity here. I think if you ever won a championship, what would that do for his legacy? I mean, you have Tom Brady's sitting there on the top of the mountain with seven rings and Aaron's at one. If you want to close that legacy gap to win a Super Bowl for the New York Jets would go a long way towards doing that, and so I think Rogers he may have been disengaged in Green Bay, particularly at the end he does. He has occasionally pointed fingers in a passive aggressive way, but he hasn't been that figure so far in New York at all.
Speaker 4: I went out to all.
Speaker 5: The open OTAs and by all accounts talking to players, coaches, executives, he has been fully engaged in meeting rooms and practices and just watching him. He's constantly talking to receivers, the tight ends, offensive linemen, Hey do this. Let's talk about that cut you just made coming out of your route. I kind of like you to do it this way. There's been a ton of that so so far. It's early. Obviously we haven't started training camp yet. He has been a very very good leader on and off the field by all accounts. Let's see if it holds up, and let's see how that translates on the field in September when they play for real.
Speaker 4: But as much as people.
Speaker 5: Have talked about what an all time great quarterback can do for this hapless franchise, I think there's a lot that.
Speaker 4: New York Jets can do for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 5: Like I just said, if he somehow can win one in the two or three years that he plays here in New York and gets ring number two, it's going to feel like he won four rings. It's almost like what Messier did coming to New York in ninety four, even though he had won five in Edmonton.
Speaker 4: He wins a Cup ends a.
Speaker 5: What a fifty fifty four year drought, and the one cup people talk about when they talk about his legacy is the one he won for the Rangers in New York. And he'll tell you that too. So I think that's the kind of opportunity that Rogers has. Let's see how it plays out.
Speaker 2: I want to get a Knicks discussion in because the free agent stuff today. When this airs on Friday, the free agent opens up. I've said this, I believe Jalen Brunson is the perfect New York Knicks star. So when I lived in Connecticut and I still have friends in New York, the Knicks were actually the most popular team. Here's why. Because my baseball friends were split and my NFL fans were split, Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets. Everybody had the Knicks as their favorite New York team or second like some people would be big Yankee fans, but the Knicks, the Nets were irrelevant the Knicks. Every friend I had in the Northeast love the Knicks. It's an incredible baseball market. It reminds me of Golden State. I grew up with the Rick Berry, Al Addles, the coach, Clifford Ray, Jeff Mullen, Keith Wilkes teams, and then they were bad forever, and people forgot how great the Bay Area is at a basketball city. When I lived out East, I couldn't believe the Knicks would sell out. They were poorly owned, poorly run, not likable, couldn't get tickets. And I said a couple months ago, I said, Jalen Brunson is literally like Phil Simms. He's becoming a star in New York, and I don't know how great he is. That guy fits that city like Villanova, late rounder, tough, accountable, almost better in big spots, like better in the fourth than the first quarter, better against the heat than he would be against the magic. They have Julius Randall, there's Josh Hart, there's RJ.
Speaker 4: Barrett.
Speaker 2: To you, Randall feels like an expensive two. He's probably more of a three. Do you think there is a deal around Brunson that feels like because Brunson's going to need another high end player? Is there something? Is it a zion be a fortune teller here? What do you think feels right?
Speaker 4: I wrote this a while back. I always thought Carl Anthony Towns would end up a Nick.
Speaker 5: Grew up in New Jersey ties with Leon Roseho's running the Knicks now as his former client. And obviously it didn't work well with Tibbs the first time around in Minnesota. They clashed, and I think part of that was Jimmy Butler. But I think that I know for a fact that Tom Thibodeau would be more than willing to coach Karl Anthony Towns again. Now the question is how much better do you think kat is than Julius Randall? Is there a significant difference between those two players. I think he's better than Randall and Randall Colin if you look at it, and his two playoff opportunities with the Knicks hasn't played that well. Now, he did restore most of his value this year after last year's near disaster or but he played at a really high level in the regular season this year, and I think he does have value around the league to some extent. So I think you could package him with the Knicks have a lot of draft assets and some good emerging young players to get a Carl Anthony Towns if you feel like I do believe now that I didn't think this when they got Jalen Brunson. I think you can win a championship with Jalen Brunston as your second best player. I did not think that when they signed him. I don't know how you felt. I just can't get over how impressed I am with him and everything you said I agree with about Brunson on and off the court.
Speaker 4: Brunson, See, here's the problem with the Knicks. To me, it's almost an RJ Barrett problem.
Speaker 5: R J Barrett is a good player, and he's going to be a good player for a long time, but I don't think he'll ever be a great player. And the problem is when you're six to six in the NBA in today's NBA, and he's a good athlete, but he's not explosive athletically, and he's not a good outside shoot now a good shooter from three. So I think when you're six to six in the NBA. To'd be great or at least very good, you have to be.
Speaker 4: One of those things.
Speaker 5: And so he represents the franchise the right way. He's a hard worker, he's a good player. I'm just not sure he's ever going to be more than that. So if he's positioned to be your third star, I'm not sure that's good enough. So if you yes, should they try to be in on Zion Wimson. Absolutely. I think Zion always wanted to play for the Knicks, and you could bring him in here and say, just get in shape, and you can take New York away from the two Errands, Judge and Rogers.
Speaker 4: This city will be yours.
Speaker 5: Because I was there in the nineties when the Knicks were good, knocking on the door and never won a title. They were bigger than the Yankees, who were winning titles both on the MSG network. The Knicks were the number one property on that network. So it can happen. Zion Williamson, you come to New York, which is where you wanted to be coming out of Duke, get in shape, play seventy out of eighty two games, and you can take this city away from the two Errands.
Speaker 4: I think that's that's certainly possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Carl Anthony Towns is more offensively skilled than Julius Randall. He doesn't give you the consistent effort. Julius is one of those players that plays hard every night, and that is so important in the regular season, but when everybody plays hard in the playoffs, his dominance is reduced and he becomes a really solid player. He really is an effort guy. He just out works people and ends up with twenty three points in the regular season. So I think he's a and he's pretty expensive. I like Julius Randall. I feel like the league sort of left him, like he gives you a bucket, not a three, And I feel like the Lakers kind of bailed on him. And I had a conversation with a Laker executive once. I'm like, you know, nobody plays harder, nobody shows up every night. He just needs to be your three, not your two or yr one. So I'm with you. I think if they get a one Jalen Bruns into two, I think they'll move RJ.
Speaker 1: Barrett.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. There's not really a there there. Like there's a lot of guys in my years of being a sportscaster. There are guys in the NBA. I mean Andrew Wiggins. Was this in Minnesota? You got twenty four a night. You didn't remember a bucket, You just didn't, And it's just like, how did he score? There was a player Sharif Abdul Raheem. Do you remember him the four?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, twenty four a night. I don't remember any of the points. And then there's guys like Julius Randall or Brunson. You remember all of them. They're very impactful. So I think Karl Anthony Towns works and they also the Knicks also have some big athletic guys like Obi Toppin. They're not great players, but they certainly can be excellent rotational players in a place like Minnesota. They've got some size and athleticism in youth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mitchell Robinson is a good room protector, although he might have to go in a deal if you're getting cute at But I also think if you look at Minnesota, what's Anthony Edwards is still twenty one years old? The guy's averaging twenty five points a game at age twenty one. You got Gobert there. I think Julius Randall is a better fit with Gobert than Karl Anthony Towns is. So you try to look at it. What's realistic and it's not realistic to get certain players in the NBA to New York. I think now that they've established some credibility there and Dolan hasn't talked about as much as he was years ago. I think Kat is a big name that is realistic for a lot of reasons that we've.
Speaker 4: Talked about here.
Speaker 5: Now. Whether or not he's a guy who can get you to the NBA Finals with Brunson, I don't know. You might have to upgrade Barrett alongside those two two to get to that point, but I think it's a start
Speaker 4: The volume