Speaker 1: My name is Clay Nukleman.
Speaker 2: This is a production of the bear Grease podcast called the Bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast, presented by f h F Gear, American Maid, purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place.
Speaker 3: As we explore, that is a heck of a lineup of coonskin hat.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: Last render that we talked about, Crockett, I had everybody wear a coonskin hat. Would anybody like to wear a coonskin hat?
Speaker 4: I was actually going to bring my own. Oh yeah, but I didn't, you know, I didn't know the quality of y'all's hats.
Speaker 3: Oh well, mediocre at mediocre at this.
Speaker 4: I just I didn't want to be outmatched on coonskin.
Speaker 3: Yes, the guy who made those coonskin hats could not be trusted. So I hear, I hear rumored that he's got four more that he's been making for about six months.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do something with these hats at some point. And hey, speaking of coon hides. Last night, two nights ago, I had two dogs. I had so I have a squirrel dog. That runs loose all the time. Tim he is the most responsive dog to human mind, will and emotion that.
Speaker 1: I've ever been around.
Speaker 2: Like you can be like thinking something and kind of glance over to it, and he'll be like, oh, we're talking about that. Like he's just he's hyperune. He's hyper in tune, like ridiculously intune. So he runs around and he's normal. My my really good squirrel dog is so good. I can't let her run loose because she'll just hunt herself to death or end up, you know, running off.
Speaker 5: She gets treated on things for hours at a time every time she's off.
Speaker 2: So a few days ago I turned her loose just to let her run. In the summer, I just let her run. And I like to keep my neighbors in check. I like for dogs to just be treed for hours, just like close to the house, just to let people know that this is not suburbia.
Speaker 6: Just when they when you think they're gonna start showing up.
Speaker 2: To right when they think they're gonna start paving the road and putting in nice four hundred thousand dollars houses and stuff. I want people to come down here and try to buy land, to be like man there's some hillbilly.
Speaker 4: Have you ever had one of your dog's tree to squirrel down here at the marina, like two hundred yards down the road to see, yes, where the sailboat is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's why we like to keep this place I've got. We've got some boats on our road far far from any river systems or lakes.
Speaker 4: R that's when you know you're living right.
Speaker 2: So I had Tests running loose, and she's my good squirrel dog, and about thirty minutes before dark, two nights ago, I hear both of them just on a hot track and get treed, and they're up here in what I call the possum funnel I've got on this land that I've got here, which isn't a big piece of land. Those dogs tree possums in like one spot and there's no rhyme or reason.
Speaker 1: There's no big den trees.
Speaker 2: But if they get treed and it's on a possum, which they treat a lot of possums, they'll tree within a fifty yard radius. I don't understand why they always treat there. But Tim was treed hard. Tests was right there. I mean, it was just beautiful tree and I was busy and just didn't even bother with them at least an hour and a half, and I'm being conservative, it was probably closer to two hour. I mean it was when I wanted to go to bed at like closer to eleven. They were treated hard, continue to be treated heart out there, and I was going to bed, and I told Bear John my Son, I said, how about you go feed those dogs and go shoot that possum out of the tree that they got treed. And he said, Dad, I'm not interested in shoot. And so I went out to my truck and got my deet because man, if you walk in these woods right now, you will be covered in ticks, yep and chiggers. And so I went out to the truck and sprayed down with deep This is like right before I'm going to bed, and I just am trying to retrieve my dogs. Take my twenty two because right now in Arkansas it's war on varmints, yep, trying to save turkey poles and chickens.
Speaker 1: Now we've had a serious.
Speaker 2: Predation to spring on our trees. And I go out there and Tim and Tress are just treed hard, and Tim is extra pumped, and I shine up in this incredibly bushy tree. I didn't think I was going to see it, Brent, And sure enough there's a coon there, which is the first time they treat a coon TI squirrel dog. He is, he should be Tim the possum dog. He loves possums more than anything. You can hear it in his voice when he trees.
Speaker 1: The possums.
Speaker 2: Squirrels are a distant second, pack rats are third, and number four is a coon. And anyway, speaking of coonskin hats, and I shot that coon out.
Speaker 5: Well, I think there's another angle to this story. We're sitting inside and Bear really wants to start a business, and he and I are talking official business. We're talking about paperwork and what taxes would look like and all this kind of stuff, and we're having this real, in depth conversation. We're on computers, googling on the couch and Clay walks in with a coon in his hands, a dead coon in the dogs, and we look up and I don't even I don't even pause. It's like, ye, Clay's got a coon in the house again. It took me a couple of take before I realized, Shoot, you've got a live coon in our house.
Speaker 7: Are dead. It was dead by those dead and the dogs.
Speaker 5: He wanted to get a picture with him and the dogs just ridiculous.
Speaker 7: You could tell they're pre pumped up.
Speaker 8: Here's something I'm taking from this. I don't I don't know if y'all anybody else here. When he first he said bear John, go out there and kill that kill that possum.
Speaker 6: He says, I have no interest in it. Had he told me that and I was talking to my mom about accounting, I.
Speaker 8: Would like to say him went through the wall.
Speaker 3: Not Baron newkem Man, that guy.
Speaker 6: So I'm telling you this.
Speaker 3: He put hard sell on me this week for some stuff too. So I mean he's he's business in it to win it right now.
Speaker 6: That's that's good stuff right there. Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we have a we have a We've got some regulars on the podcast, but we have Joe is not really an irregular.
Speaker 1: Joe's been.
Speaker 3: To be determined.
Speaker 1: Is I've known Joe for many years?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, And Joe was on the Bear Hunting Magazine pop podcast way back o g Yeah and uh and Joe was on the Arkansas Image podcast that I did. If you remember when I went to the Walton the old Walton five and dime and then we went into the Walmart Museum with the hologram. Joe was kind of my guide there. So you've heard Joe's voice if you're paying attention.
Speaker 7: He's been on the Bease more than Josh has.
Speaker 8: I was just going to say he was on the original Bear Grease and you never were, were.
Speaker 1: You, Josh?
Speaker 3: I've never been on Bear Grease. I was on the Bear Hunting Magazine podcast mainly because it'd be like, I don't have any other content spillmaker.
Speaker 2: Here, Joe, how do you how do you introduce yourself to people? If you if you have the open mic?
Speaker 4: Well, if I had an open mic, I'd introduced myself as a father of two, a husband of one. I've got two dogs right now. It's driving me crazy. I just got a new puppy a week ago, so I'm I'm the little bloodshot in the eye. But what was the saying that Dave Crockett said?
Speaker 1: He said that he about an accident.
Speaker 4: No about his Yeah, about the accident.
Speaker 2: Well, he just said that his fame came on him completely by accident.
Speaker 4: And so my fame has come on me completely by accident. So, uh, you know McLay knows this story, and I doubt the listeners do. But I throw the World Champion Squirrel Cookoff here in northwest Arkansas, and it come to me straight up by accident.
Speaker 2: Hey, we got it, Okay, listeners out there, he just dropped the bomb. Joe is the founder of the one and only World Championship.
Speaker 4: Squirrel Cookoff, and it come to me by accident.
Speaker 1: Tell me tell me that.
Speaker 4: So I was working in downtown Bentonville, and uh, for the listeners who aren't aware of what that could be like, it's it's kind of like a Norman Rockwell painting. It's uh, brick buildings, old buildings. It's where the retail giant started of Walmart. And I become sociable with a lot of people walking by, and the lady who's in charge of downtown Bentonville cornered me one day and she said that Andrew Zimmern from Bizarre Foods had contacted them and they wanted to do the Ozark condition. And I was the guy that they wanted me to fix this deal. And so this is a week after our football coach Bobby or Bobby Patrina. Bobby Patrina had had a little accident.
Speaker 6: Heard around the world exactly.
Speaker 4: He had had a little accident, and so they do. So they started questioning me on things they wanted to see. And they wanted to see a rabbit hunt and I said I can do that. And they wanted to do a bear hunt, and I said, I know some people and Clay was part of that. And uh wanted a gig for suckers in the river. I said, I got that covered, and they said, we want to do a crow hunt because our research shows that people in Arkansas eat crow. Now, now, mind you, this is a week after our football coach had had some sort of accident. And I said, ma'am, you're mistaken. I said, we really don't eat a lot of crow. Matter of fact, we don't eat any And she said, no, sir, our research says that people in Arkansas eat crow. And I said, well, I've cooked crow before and we ate it. But we'd been drinking and people said that it tasted pretty good, so we could cook crow. And they said, what about squirrel. Do you do squirrel? Oh yes, ma'am, I said, matter of fact, we cook the world champion squirrel. And she says, how do you know, And I said, because we throw the World championship. She said when is it? I said, when y'all coming? He didn't.
Speaker 1: Is that when it started?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, she said like August eleventh, And I said you know what and she said, no kidding. I said, yeah, that's when it is. And so as soon as I got off the phone, I started scrambling.
Speaker 1: And what was the date? Approximately?
Speaker 4: It was in August of two thousand.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that she was called in August she called, Oh, she called, it's probably June.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of months.
Speaker 6: I still hadn't no time, man.
Speaker 4: So I scrambled, got on the phone and I called people, and I had teams from seven states show up, and we had twenty fourteens. And at that time I thought to have a judge at a squirrel cookoff, they needed to be certified by like the governor. So I had a district judge judge. I had real judges, so that way I knew it was fair. And uh. Plus, I had a fat used car salesman because I have that man d squirrel. And I had a James Beard Award winning chef. And so the first year we did the squirrel cookoff, we had as random of things as you could imagine, you know. We of course we had fried squirrel and we had gumbo and some gravy. But that's when we started having the squirrel pizza and the squirrel fried rice and things like that. So that show aired, I want to say, in one hundred and twenty countries across the world and.
Speaker 2: Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre food That would have been twenty fourteen.
Speaker 4: Uh no, it was. It was twenty ten, Was it really? Yeah, yeah it was twenty ten. Yeah, because you were on it. Yeah, yeah, crack.
Speaker 2: It was Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods. And uh, let me tell my let me tell my side of that one.
Speaker 1: Just real quick. I had it.
Speaker 2: I had those people called me andrews Zimmerns p will call me, and it's just I don't have any exposure to media at all during that time, and they say, hey, we want to do a show I'd never heard of. We didn't watch TV, I didn't have I never heard of Andrew Zimmern. And this person says, we want to come to Arkansas and we would like for you to kill.
Speaker 1: A bear on October first.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 1: I was like, now, what do you mean you need it?
Speaker 2: On October first, and she's like, well, that's when my crew will be in Arkansas and we need you to kill a bear. And I was like, ma'am, I can't guarantee that we can have a bear that day, but I remember very vividly what I said to him. I said, now tell me about this Andrew Zimmern in this show. I said, because if you're looking for a bunch of hillbillies to make fun of, you got the wrong guy. Like I was like, I came in pretty hard. I was super suspicious.
Speaker 1: And then the woman was like, oh no, no, no, Andrew is so respectful of people's culture.
Speaker 2: And then as I did, like I watched the show, I was like, oh, this guy's oh cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that that was well.
Speaker 2: And then the short version of our bear hunt was I just sent out like an APB to all my buddies and I said, hey, if you kill a bear on October first, call me, because that was close to the opening day of season, maybe even the opening day of season. And one of my good buddies, Trey Clark, killed a bear on October first, and I called andrews Zimmern's people, and they like made a bee line from northwest Arkansas down to where we were hunting, big huge film crews and they filmed us do everything in the world. We made bear crack onside of that bear. But this goes on the same show that the World Championship Squirrel Cookoff is on.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, you know another part of that is when it come down to the crow part, I had to fill this slot. And so I was friends with Phillips Spears, and Phillis Spears did Arkansas outdoors, cooking in the Dutch oven. Yeah, she'd cooked everything with a face, you know. And so I called Phyllis and I at Phyllis, I'm in a bind. I got I got to do some crow hunting and had to cook a crow. And being the sweetheart that she is, she says, Honey, do I need to bring my own crow? And I said it probably wanted her Phillis. So we go right down the road from us, and we shot crows. We really never hunted crows. We shot some, you know, And so we get out there and we got a crow call, and we're calling and calling and that spy crow comes.
Speaker 3: You know, it's really good at a crow called Scout. You know, who I've heard is really good at a crow, calls Steve, he's an ace.
Speaker 4: I want to do more crow hunting. But so that old scout comes flying over and one of my guys is a little loose, and so he started letting it fly at the scout. So that meant there's no more crows. So that producer, I bet you remember him, is uh real, slimy, greasy, long, long black, kind of smoking a big cigar.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, he filmed comb Over the movie. He traveled the country looking for the comb over capital of the world. Actually interviewed Donald Trump long before he was president. So he says, what do we got to do to get these crows? I said, man, we got to load up and go to the store. So we went to the largest outdoor provider down in Rogers and walked in there with three shopping carts and we bought bull blinds. We bought electric collars, a fishing pole just in case we needed it, all new camouflage, and some camping gear because they were fitting the bill, plus some decoys. And we showed up and could not get a crow. But Phillis had a stunt crow in the back of the truck, and we launched that thing up and filmed some good b roll a couple times and.
Speaker 1: What do you means shut a stunt crow?
Speaker 4: She brought three processed crows and three fully feathered crows in the back of her big dodge drug like not a lot. No, no, it didn't know that it was part of the show. Okay, okay, but uh so, phillis Hollywood. Phillis made for the listeners who've never ate crow. I want to turn your nose to it because a crow, their legs are the lighter color meat and their breast is the dark color meat. And I don't know what a Kansas crow or South Dakota crow is, but an Ozark crow eats a lot of dead armadillas on the side of the road, right yeah. And she made a shepherd's pie, and then she made these little cuts of crow breast which she had marinated, and they tasted more like beef than beef does. Now, I've ate pretty near any animal I've ever seen, and I enjoy it. But my nemesis would be sweet potatoes. I can't stomach them all.
Speaker 1: Kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: I couldn't stomach a sweet potato. And she made that shepherd's pie and I had to dig through the sweet potatoes to get to that crow meat, but to put icing on top of this cake. Here, crow meat is worth to eat. It's it's good stuff. So that show aired in one hundred and twenty countries, and just like your son, I thought I could make a dollar off this deal. So I decided I was going to sell Squirrel Cookoff T shirts and they were twenty bucks apiece, and come to find out, the shipping to Australia's more than twenty bucks. So I lost at that deal.
Speaker 1: A lot of overseas orders.
Speaker 4: Well, typically the orders would come in about two o'clock in the morning and they were always for four xes. I think when that show aired in the middle of the night, there was some chubby guy eating Cheetos. He was wanting a T shirt. So, since it was so famous, the next year we got the front page of the Wall Street Journal, and the Wall Street Journal come to Bentonville. The mayor wasn't happy. He thought he thought the Wall Street Journal was going to run us through the mud. He said they were in the East Coast bias deal and they were going to put that h'll billy element on the deal. And I asked the mayor who he was most scared of was it the Wall Street Journal or me? And he said, you just don't want them here. He said, they've spent a lot of money making this town what it is, and we don't need that reputation. And I told him the last time that the Wall Street Journal had come to our town, there was a guy named Sam Walton who received the Medal of Freedom from a guy named George Bush, who had a son named George Bush. And if it took a redneck and squirrels to get us back on the front page of the Wall Street Journal, somebody wasn't doing their job. And so we carried it on man. And we've we've done it for a reason that's more than humor. We've we wanted to show the world that we could take smallest a game and turn it into the biggest of meals and some of the things. Clay, you've been there a couple times. The biggest thing to me has been to send the diversity of human beings that will show up to cook squirrel. Everybody thinks it's guys like us. Now there's hippies, there's five Star chefs, there's old people and kids and people of every color and crete all show up to cook squirrel and and sometimes the people that do the best are the people who have never even cooked a squirrel before. And so that's been the highlight of the thing, first and foremost, getting people back outdoors to hunt small game. That's how we learned the old am small miss small thing takes place in the woods chasing squirrels and rabbits, and over the years we've put a lot of people back in the woods. We may have caused some lime disease because it is a tigger and tick prone prone sport, but we've had a lot of good times, man.
Speaker 2: And so it's been going on now for fourteen years minus COVID.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we missed two years of COVID and one year from me being lazy, and but we're coming back and this year September twenty third, we'll be in Springdale, Arkansas. It'll be our first time in Springdale, Arkansas. Game and Fish has a beautiful new facility there and they're trying to get people to come to it. And once again, the squirrel's going to save the day.
Speaker 3: Just right down the road for me.
Speaker 2: So let's stop right there September twenty third, which is a Saturday, Yes, sir twenty twenty three. Yes, Springdale, Arkansas. And what's the name of that facility. I've been there shooting back.
Speaker 4: We'll have to add that in later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and John L. Let Me Center Nature Center.
Speaker 2: Very very it's like awesome, multi gazillion dollar outdoor facility.
Speaker 4: That was built to rehabitat the quail. Okay, that's I mean it. They really thrive on Quell habitat and all of that.
Speaker 1: What's the name of it, A G F C.
Speaker 7: JB. And John L. Hunt Family Ozark Highland's Nature Center.
Speaker 4: It's just a little word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's awesome booth to be He'll be upset that we didn't get it on the first try, sorry, Austin.
Speaker 1: But it's an incredible it is incredible.
Speaker 2: They have an outdoor three D archery ranging just walk up, shoot your bows, big facility.
Speaker 4: They have an indoor pellet and BB rifle shooting range as well for the kids and and so our goal this year is to bring the kids really into it. So we're going to have in the morning, we're going to do a pellet rifle shoot indoors. Don't be mistaken that we're just a squirrel eating competition. Here. We also have the world champion squirrel cleaning.
Speaker 1: Competition on some of that.
Speaker 4: The raining champion is Clifton Jackson of Arkansas, who has the most expensive squirrel rifle you can buy, is named the Jackson squirrel Rifle and it's named after Clifton.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: He's been in charge of small game for several years here in the state of Arkansas.
Speaker 1: How fast can you clean a squirrel?
Speaker 4: Well, this isn't the squirrel like your dog's been treeing out here. This is a squirrel that's been inside my freezer for a long time, and so it's semi thawed squirrel.
Speaker 6: Yea.
Speaker 4: And we give you a knife, and we've had people assist by using their teeth whatever it takes to get through this deal. I can't tell you how fast he was. The fast you let me.
Speaker 2: Ask you this. Do you have to use a knife? Could I bring another implement? You could competition?
Speaker 4: You could. The rules on this deal is hopefully you bring your own knife and hopefully you bring your own glove to keep you from cutting the finger off of because I don't want to be responsible for that. So we've got that event and.
Speaker 1: Because I don't use a knife.
Speaker 7: He's very competitive.
Speaker 4: I could see it bowling out right now.
Speaker 3: Mine.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not saying I'm the fastest in the world.
Speaker 7: He has competed.
Speaker 1: I'd be right on. I'd be hot on.
Speaker 8: That guy looks a whole lot like, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Exactly what do you know.
Speaker 4: I've been listening to this show since it started, and that's probably the least humble I've ever heard.
Speaker 7: When he was run in the back kind of yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, there's just some things that avout confidence.
Speaker 4: So the other event is the World's Hottest Squirrel wing eating Competition.
Speaker 1: Taste.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, this is, yeah, pepper hot. This is We take the hind quarters of the squirrel and bread them up deep fry and then we pour molten lava of some Carolina reaper and whatever else somebody grew in their guard set. Yeah, and uh, that's a hilarious event to sit there and watch. So we'll have live music.
Speaker 2: Let me describe and you can fill it in. But like when I've been there before, it wasn't at this venue. But if you have a team, which you could, anybody could have a team, you bet so, So if you're from wherever you're from, how do they how would they register?
Speaker 4: So about the time this show airs on our Facebook page World champions Squirrel Cookoff Facebook page, there will be the registry information and we are going to limit it to forty teams. Real well, it's tortuous to our to our judges and forty because.
Speaker 1: So only forty teams can compete only forty sure they vetted? Are they vetted? Or is just like first come.
Speaker 4: First come, first serving? And Misty, I know you're a heck of a cook, right you.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I ad some slight average, some strawberry kicks you move, and if you added a little squirrel to that, you might have a fighting chance of winning a squirrel Currently, how many world championships do you hold?
Speaker 7: You know, I don't think I hold a world championship in anything.
Speaker 4: There would be nothing prouder that'd make a Humble Clay if he was to introduce as So, our event is set up to where you got to do a entree and a side dish. Okay, and eighty percent of the meat used inside of your squirrel entree has to be squirrel. So that's not eighty percent of your overall dish, that's eighty percent of the week.
Speaker 7: Did you say that loud?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 3: We go.
Speaker 1: Hey, the dishes that they have will blow your mind.
Speaker 4: Squirrel jello, I mean, oh with grapes in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I was.
Speaker 2: I was gonna describe you would you would come to this event, and there would be if you have a team, if you're one of the forty teams, you would have a booth, ye, and there would be time frames during the day when you had to have meals cooked. But you also cook kind of for the public for whatever you want.
Speaker 4: I mean, it doesn't necessarily have to be squirrel. If you've got to get porcupine recipe, you're more than welcome.
Speaker 2: And people are just kind of wandering around talking to the show. It's always real fun to just go around and just ask like what are you cooking? And you know, a lot of people I've never seen more squirrel costumes and like get up from people, just random people, not even not even the cooks, just people.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like when Star Wars comes out, it's like the hillbilly version.
Speaker 3: Yes, Squirrel, I guess I need to start making some squirrel.
Speaker 1: Hat, squirrels, squirrel costumes.
Speaker 4: Come squirrel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm so glad I bought instead of rended.
Speaker 4: So Cy right as you're walking around. If you're a people watcher, like I know we all are, it is the perfect place to pull up a chair and sit and stare at what's showed up at this deal. Because we've had teams from as far away as the Netherlands.
Speaker 3: Wow, we even have squirrels.
Speaker 4: I'm not real sure I'll come here to cook them, but uh, we've had teams from the Netherlands. We've had a couple of female bankers from New York City. Oh wow, who brought them in? We get West Coast teams. We've had teams from Canada. We had a judge from Italy. It's really come to do this. And so why I'm saying this is this ain't no joke. This is the real deal. When we crown you as a world champion.
Speaker 6: You're the world tenter.
Speaker 4: You should never serve that squirrel on a paper plate.
Speaker 6: Again, That's what I'm talking.
Speaker 4: It's fine China. So you're doing an entree in a side dish, and your side dish should pair with your entree and a.
Speaker 3: Couple of what variety of wine goes best with it.
Speaker 4: It matters how you cook the squirrel. I mean, got a start, but we had up until a couple of years ago. It was kind of blind. I give you a styrophoam box. You put your groceries in there, it turn it into the judges. And then I'd open up the box and give them to the judges and they'd say, what is this. I'd say, I have no idea squirrel, and uh so, now we give the teams the opportunity they put a three by five card inside that box and it'll describe what dish they've turned in, because if you know what it's supposed to be, it'll kind of taste like that, right, right. And how many judges are there, So we'll have twelve judges swell, six on one side, six on the other each judge. You know, we have an odd set of judges in an even set. So depending on what your turn in token says, if you're number two, you go on the right side. If you're number one, you go on the left because it is torture man. When you've got twenty dishes, that's an entree in a side, and there's a chance you'll have a number eight shot in any of that.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Know, you got an orthodontist on the tumba, and so it's it's a workout to eat it, and as a judge, you sign up to eat everything we throw in front of you and judge it fairly. So most cooking competitions, if it's chili or brisket or steaks or whatever you're doing, everybody's in the same realm. So it's real easy to pick the best brisket from that day. This everything's different, So we judge you on your own merit. If you make a squirrel meat loaf, well, we're judging on what we want as our best meat loaf, and how close you come to that moral.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying, don't make squirrel meat looaf for the Champion Chip cook Coffee.
Speaker 7: You're not gonna win that thing.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, squirrel squirrel meatballs placed really well in the ask.
Speaker 2: Can you give us a couple of examples of stuff that's one? I mean, it's it's stuff that you just would never dream of.
Speaker 4: Oh man, Uh, we've had Mexican dishes do really well. Yeah, I'll just put it to you that way. We've had a lot of Mexican dishes work out. We've had a lot of Italian dishes work out really well.
Speaker 7: So squirrel. Squirrel does well with tomato.
Speaker 4: Well, squirrel is the tofu of the woods, so it'll gather whatever flavor profile you throw at it.
Speaker 1: And I can.
Speaker 2: When I was there, and I'm trying to remember, but there was one there was one group that their whole thing was to make a Chick fil A sandwich.
Speaker 4: I disqualified them. Really yeah, why, well, because our rules are simple. One hundred percent of the preparation of this dish has take place on site and there's no marination. There's no prep work done. And to make that Chick fil A sandwich, that means you had to marinate it in pickle juice. That's the secret to the Chick fil a chicken is the pickle juice.
Speaker 2: Well, the just as an example though, even though this team got disqualified, I didn't realize that these guys.
Speaker 1: Like their booth looked like a Chick fil A booth.
Speaker 2: I love it, and they and they made on Sundays the same little.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was good, you know. They made a little Chick fil A deal and that was their thing. There was a lot of Asian dishes.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: The b h A guys that I agree got there. They they made.
Speaker 2: Like squirrel nachos, and we're feeding them to people all day.
Speaker 3: Is it byo squirrel?
Speaker 4: It is man, That's part of the game. So the game is is to get people back in the outdoors, and so squirrel is not a commodity we can go to the grocery store and purchase. Ironically, I know Steve Ranella was just on CBS Sunday Morning and he was what the Martha Steward of.
Speaker 7: The Julia Child.
Speaker 4: So I'll throw my humbleness out here. I beat Steve Vanella onto CBS Sunday Morning. I was on it years before he was, and I was the first guy. You know, at the end of CBS Sunday Morning, there's a majestic scene of like a moose blowing steam out of its nostrils or an old blue herring just tiptoeing through the water. They got me to be the first guy to shoot at something. And so I'm sitting on Spavanack Creek on a lawn chair, and about three feet from me is this dude from Seattle, Washington, and they brought their little goon with them who was from Manhattan, not Kansas. And the little guy's writing on a card, handing it to the guy to ask me the questions. And they're trying to burn down my house, I could promise. As we're sitting there there, they're trying to get people.
Speaker 1: What are they interviewing you about the check?
Speaker 6: The squirrel cooking?
Speaker 4: Why we would kill something if we could go to the grocery store and just buy it, and uh, you know, your standard questions that come to a hunter from somebody who's not a hunter. And one of the questions was, surely you eat fast food? And I said, yes, sir man, I said, an antelope will do forty three, you know. And so I was one up and them. That was the game I was playing. So down the creek about one hundred yards walks out this little old gray squirrel to take a drink of that cool spring water. And the little man from Manhattan, he says, could you shoot that squirrel at that distance? I said, oh, yeah, in the face. And so I lean up on this tree. And I'd been I'd done some TV. I'd done to Andrew Zimmerndial. I had never been around a camera like these guys camera. I don't know what HD they were, but it was more than we got at my house, you know, And so they got two cameras in front of me, one behind me, that great big umbrella that's lit, and they said, whenever you're ready, And so I breathe in one paw, I shoot and I've killed hundreds upon hundreds of squirrels. I had never killed one like this that was ready for TV. As that bullet just barely nicked him. He goes and like a three toed sloth, this thing is grasping at stones, crawling, playing it up for the movies. And the guy says, what are you feeling? What's your emotions? I said, I'm pretty upset, he said about wounding that animal. Man, I missed it clean. I said, I'm upset because I don't get to cook it for you. And my mind's just running through on every excuse I could come up with, because I thought, the day this airs, it's the last day I'm gonna be able to walk into my house, you know. And they cut it. They cut it out, and the show actually turned out really good. So whenever I whenever I heard Steve Rondella was on that show, and I thought, yeah, I was on there too, They about about burned down my house.
Speaker 2: Man, Well, Brent, can we get a commitment from you to be at the World Championship.
Speaker 4: Squirrel cook on, let me do this. I've got seat number one over there on the left hand side that I'll put you down in the judging spot if you'll accept it.
Speaker 6: I'm there, pal, I got you, mark it down.
Speaker 4: This is big game and Fish just auctioned off one of these on the foundation deal.
Speaker 1: Oh really a spot as a jezz.
Speaker 4: I think they got like four hundred.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna be a job.
Speaker 6: Gosh, absolutely, I'll be honored.
Speaker 4: To Yeah, man, we'll be honored to have you. Yeah, I know that you come qualified.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I come from a long line of squirrel eaters and killers. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so hey expect this. If you're coming from a long distance, you should probably look for your hotel room because we've got multiple things happening that weekend, and so go ahead and get you a hotel. The event starts at nine in the morning, should be wrapped up by about four thirty, but we'll keep you busy all day looking and laughing.
Speaker 1: Does it cost money to get in Clay?
Speaker 4: I would never charge anybody for a good time, and so no, it's free.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, that's great, man. Okay, I will most likely be there.
Speaker 3: Are we going to have opportunity to eat squirrel just as a participant?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So oh go ahead, Oh go ahead, missus.
Speaker 5: How long do they have to prepare it if they can't prepare anything off site?
Speaker 4: So what we do is first thing in the morning, about eight o'clock, we'll have a meeting of the teams and we'll once again go through all the rules and regulations. At eight point thirty, I'm going to send my meat inspectors around and this is to make sure there's no contraband squirrel inside them coolers. You know, don't be fooling me with some rabbits. And so also test the meat to make sure that it's forty or under, okay, because there's a chance you're going to eat it. Now when you come and sample something, you're playing this game at your own risk. So we inspect. At nine o'clock, the team's fired up and they could cook on any heat source. So if you want to cook on a coal and stove, that's fine. If you want to cook on a ten thousand dollars smoker that you won the Texas Brisket Competition in you're more than welcome to cook on that. You can. You can fry it, you can bake it, you could roast it, you name it. We've even had squirrel sushi. We've had squirrel ice cream. The desserts are kind of out there.
Speaker 8: The hardest part about smoking a squirrel is keeping him lit'right, that's right. You got to bite off the end of it first.
Speaker 6: That's it. That's the truth.
Speaker 4: And uh, we hope to have if if anybody's listening and they have something, a group or somebody that needs a little bit of support, you can contact me and maybe we could get your booth set up at that deal as well.
Speaker 2: So you'll have some vendors, got to have some yeah, local people, vendors and organizations.
Speaker 4: Y'all know, if we lose one generation of hunters where we're at as a country, we're in trouble. And so y'all show and everybody who does it the right way is doing God's work on this deal, because we're just a boat. We're inches away from losing our kids in the outdoors. And and so if I could help promote our youth in the outdoors, if I could help bring back an old timer that used to love squirrel hunting, if I could get him drug back out in the woods, then it's worth it because I could guarantee you, Clay, I ain't never made a penny on this deal, and I don't want to tell my wife what we haven't had because of it. So it's that important. And seeing these urban people show up and have their nose pointed up in the air when they get there, and by the end of it you watch them walking around nibbling on a squirrel leg or something. It's it's that's my success story.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: I think what you're doing, Joe.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've called you a hero before for putting this thing on it.
Speaker 1: I mean I I absolutely love it.
Speaker 4: Just like Dave Crockett. I stepped into this deal by accident, but it's given me some opportunities. You know. I was telling Brent earlier that I've got a nonprofit organization that we travel around the country and we feed firefighters, police officers, first responders a Ribby steak dinner. And that's off of bovine, that's not off.
Speaker 1: Of a squirrel and squirrel ribbint.
Speaker 4: We've made forty thousand Ribby Steak dinners across the country.
Speaker 6: That's amazing to steaks for sheep.
Speaker 4: Steaks for sheep dogs. And our goal is to show community. You could not get along with somebody. There's certain people in this country you may not like, but you'll eat at their restaurant. Breaking bread is really the secret to neighbors and friendships and all that. And we can always have a meal and work out our issues. That's whenever your guard's down, whenever you're eating especially good food. And so six years ago in Dallas, Texas, a bad guy showed up. He killed a bunch of police officers. I've seen an opportunity for me to slide in there and try to make a change, and we've helped people. We'll never win the fight. It's impossible to make everybody appreciate that we have sheep dogs out there taking care of us. People are going to dislike people regardless. But I know whenever our team shows up and we put smiles on faces, and every time you've spoken to people, whether it be at church or on one of your adventures, there'll be somebody will call you and say I needed that that day, you know. And that's that's my trophy. Is we'll leave a community and I'll get a phone call and there'll be someone I've known ever met before, say you don't know where I was at that day, And when you showed up and fed us, it gave me a clear view that we're still together as a country. And I'm not saying I've saved anybody. I just know that we've touched hearts through Rebby steaks, some really good mashed potatoes, and some dang good green beans.
Speaker 1: Man, that's incredible steaks, steaks for shooting. Yes, sir, that's awesome man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I appreciate it. And and you know it's we're one hundred percent volunteer organization. I don't know how how I have the gas money to show up here today, because everything I do is for free, you know. But we're born with the with the last name. It's kind of our brand. And I've listened to your stories about your boy being left out in the woods and and all that. Well he's a new com and uh, I've got a last name of Wilson. And so I pointed, given my kids a solid foundation, a brand name, my last name given to my kids should be able to give them some opportunity to where people would know Joe was a good old boy. So maybe that acron didn't fall far from the tree on his son or his daughter. And I don't know if this is gonna work or not, but I'm gonna give them the easiest path to people believing and if they say it, they're gonna do it. So that's kind of how I stand on that deal.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Hey tell us about uh and this isn't the sales pitch for Joe's spice thing, but it is wilson sauce. Tell me about I've got questions. Joe just handed me a bottle when I left left him the other day and I was like, what is this and he said, put it on anything, it'll taste good, and.
Speaker 1: Ma'am, it does. Wilson Shire sauce as a craft Worcestershre sauce.
Speaker 4: See you had a hard time saying it too.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I woke up one morning, same show, CBS Sunday Morning, and uh, they had the top five hardest words for an American to say. One of them was squirrel and I already had that covered. And the other one was that Worcestershire, Right, I.
Speaker 1: Really, I thought I said it really pretty good.
Speaker 4: There, Worcestershire and Uh, So I thought, well, maybe I could do better. So I read the label on that leand parines and I went to three different grocery stores, bought some stuff, and it kind of looked like a lab. Inside the house, I kicked everybody out and said, leave me alone. I'm inventing something. And uh, in my shop, I've got a fermentation refrigerator like most of us do.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 4: I filled a big old jar full of a concoction. And about a month I went out there and looked at it and didn't look right. Second month, the heck, it looked even worse. Third month, it had grown big skin over the top and I hit it with a blender, took a tablespoon of it, drank it, set in my chair, woke up in the morning and I hadn't died. That made me hungry, and so I bottled twenty bottles of it. I sent it around the country to people that I knew would appreciate it. And Mark Lambert, who's a seven time world champion of barbecue. I gave him a bottle and he won an event with it, and he says, I need more. I says, you're in trouble. It takes three months to make it, and after about two years of him prodding me, we made Wilsonshire a commercial thing and we've sold thousands of bottles of it. But you know, right here in the state of Arkansas, we've got towns and spice and supply and they're out of Melbourne, Arkansas, a little small place, and they make all the rest of my seasonings. And I brought you all some seasonings because if you're going to eat, you might as well make it taste good.
Speaker 1: So where can we buy Wilson shug.
Speaker 4: If you could spell it, you could go online and just tie it in and you'll find a place.
Speaker 2: Got it, Josh, It's hard to describe. You get a bottle of what you realize is Worcestershre sauce, and you're like, how often do I use worcesters sauce?
Speaker 3: I use it all the time.
Speaker 6: You drink it to.
Speaker 1: Normal.
Speaker 3: If you want to flavor something, I mean, if you want a good you know there's there's what is there five.
Speaker 4: Flavors in there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the the His's the great best way to get it.
Speaker 2: It doesn't even make sense because you eat it, you drink it, or you put it.
Speaker 1: You don't drink. I drink right out of that little.
Speaker 3: Drink after the show's got like any rabbit bottle that he just it's good, it's good.
Speaker 1: Hey, we have we got we got a segue here, we got a segue.
Speaker 2: Big sege. That's big, big swing b Bavy Crockett.
Speaker 4: Ready I heard.
Speaker 2: Listen you guys did don't know it, but y'all have walked into a trap, every one of you. I feel we have a quiz for you. I have a quiz for Davy Crockett, episode number two.
Speaker 1: So now ing ding, cue the music.
Speaker 2: We're now on a game show, and I'm going to see if y'all actually listened. Every time I tell like Josh to come, Brant to come, I'm like, did.
Speaker 1: You listen to podcast? And they're like yeah, and I'm like, whatever did? Okay?
Speaker 2: So, uh, I have seven questions. The first person to answer correctly gets one point.
Speaker 1: You will be charged with.
Speaker 2: Keeping out blurting it out. Okay, you will be charged with keeping your own score. But it would be a buddy system. We will be your monitoring you.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: It's gonna start out easy and get progressively harder.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: In nineteen ninety one, what country rock band released a cover Sam Josh Spellmaker? I got an extra point. Let me read the full question. In nineteen ninety one, what country rock band released a cover of the Ballad of Davy Crockett. The correct answer is the Kentucky Headhunters. Josh, have you ever heard that?
Speaker 3: It's a great, great version though.
Speaker 1: Did you like it?
Speaker 4: I did like it. Listen you heard it, Joe, Yeah, many times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a.
Speaker 5: Bone to pick with you. It is the version, you know. I grew up in Hatfield, Arkansas. You know I heard that version before and watched the movie the video, Like I remember.
Speaker 1: As a kid, all the people with the coonskin.
Speaker 5: There was this channel, like we had five channels in Hatfield and then one day all of us got eighteen and one of them was more Music, which was this. It was this video. It showed music videos. MTV was not allowed in Polk County, So that was like my.
Speaker 3: First experience county like it. They wouldn't let it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you couldn't get it there.
Speaker 5: You could not get Eventually people got satellites and you could get it on satellite, but you couldn't get it, like, it was not allowed.
Speaker 7: So so I hadn't seen music. He was like everybody else.
Speaker 5: And the Kentucky Headhunters came on there, and then that guy had my brothers and I when they would come on. We loved one of those guys really.
Speaker 6: At Arkansas in Mississippi County.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not surprised, Okay, did y'all like it was kind of it was kind of a new trick.
Speaker 1: I did, played the song but then described what was happening. Did you like that? What I didn't what I didn't put in there.
Speaker 2: Was when the drummer got up from the drum set to chase the bear, he actually went and turned on this little handmade auto drummer, Like it was a joke, like he like jumps up from the drum set, but the music's playing, so the music, like the drum keeps going and they had to figure out a way.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's funny is when you said that, I thought, well, who's drumming?
Speaker 4: You actually thought that?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: Okay, So in the music video, there's like.
Speaker 2: A handmade, hand drawn little little box and it says it says manual drum and auto drum, and he flicks it the auto drum and then jumps out the window and chases the bear.
Speaker 6: Okay, I didn't even think anything about that.
Speaker 1: Josh is a deep thinker.
Speaker 6: One of the Elvis.
Speaker 8: Movies, he was singing a song and he wanted the Jordanaires to back him up while he's riding this motorcycle down the road. They're like, Elvis, you can't have the Jordanaires singing. He said, where are we gonna put him? He said, I guess the same place where the folks have played the music motorcycle?
Speaker 1: All right, question number two, I'm gonna ask.
Speaker 3: I know one of the questions you're going to question. I know one of the that's not fair because we're all going to answer at the same time if.
Speaker 6: We know it.
Speaker 1: Okay, just answer the question. Okay, what state was David You're born in?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I mean I got the answer. So it was Tennessee before it was as it was tied into the North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Okay, does any this.
Speaker 3: Is Franklin Franklin Franklin frank So you were on the right track.
Speaker 1: I was trying to question, is yeah, what is now Tennessee?
Speaker 2: But at the time it was considered the state of Franklin years which was like four years when there was a state named after Benjamin Franklin.
Speaker 1: Well, he after Benjamin Franklin, That's what I think. Is there another Franklin in American history?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm sure there's several.
Speaker 3: There's only one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one of the founding fathers. It was rich Yeah, and so Franklin.
Speaker 2: Everybody, like even song says born on a mountaintop in Tennessee. And the complicated version is, well it actually wasn't Tennessee when he was born there. But so did you get that right? So you got two right Franklin? Josh, Wow, the score is two to zero. Okay, at what age did David Crockett's follow John first bomb him out to work?
Speaker 3: You know, I have never thought about that. Had I thought about bonding out my kids, I would have gone into tons of debt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wish you could rent them out to the credit card who is will.
Speaker 3: Work anybody under the table. And I should have bonded him out years ago.
Speaker 6: You should.
Speaker 2: You should see if you work something that with Visa MasterCards, just to have him work directly for them.
Speaker 1: Brent reeves with a correct answer twelve.
Speaker 2: You know what I learned, So a good way to approach American history to me just trying to understand what was going on is when you're when you're looking into this stuff, you just kind of learn about how life was by these details that don't seem to make a lot of sense or aren't that relevant. But what I learned inside of this is that it was extremely common for people to bond out their children, like have them like go live with people.
Speaker 8: Here was something that I thought was interesting. I thought, you know, at twelve years old, now we think about that, that is a there's still a child for almost ten more year years.
Speaker 6: Really.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I looked up several different things that I that I researched said that the average last ban somebody back then was like thirty eight mm hmm. So that's really a quarter. Somebody's already lived a quarter of the Lafe by the time there's twelve. It's time he got up made something of itself.
Speaker 3: I mean people were getting married at thirteen fourteen, yeah, sixteen, Yeah, really.
Speaker 6: I mean I was. But that's really it's kind of wild to think about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the score is one to two. Joe and Misty or were bringing up the rear, bringing up the rear.
Speaker 5: Okay, I think I should maybe get half points because I knew too of the answers.
Speaker 1: Well, this is I think Joe should.
Speaker 5: Get a half point because he had an explanation for one of the answers.
Speaker 4: I'll fight my way back, Okay, okay, next round.
Speaker 1: David Crockett.
Speaker 2: Spoke of He said that he had blank number of the most vicious bear dogs seven South.
Speaker 1: Seven goes to Joe Wilson.
Speaker 2: He had seven of the most vicious bear dogs in the South.
Speaker 1: That's right, and do well, it had to have been.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 2: They so there's it's complete speculation. Crockett what said that he did not like pure breed dogs. He liked a mixed a mixed breed dog, which is common still today in a lot of places. People like the mixed breed dog.
Speaker 4: One of his dogs wasn't bred with a poodle.
Speaker 1: No, no, it wasn't a crocodoodle. Uh.
Speaker 2: He That is the only indication of the type of dogs he had, was he he I love it because he said, you know he was he was baying this bear at night in the dark, and the only dog you could see was this white dog. And I think and walker hounds weren't really walker hounds by that time, but there were a lot of hounds from Europe coming in at that I mean, all of our hounds obviously came from Europe, but George Washington was bringing in pure bred, purebred hounds. The plots in the seventeen fifties first got here, and you know, by the time Crockett was hunting in the early eighteen hundreds, the plot breed would have been extremely tight there in eastern North Carolina, which that's right where Crockett was. I mean, Crockett would have been probably within less than one hundred miles of where the plots were at that time, so it's you know, it's possible, unlikely. He probably had just a mix of black and tan and English and running dogs and curves.
Speaker 1: They liked to clip their tails.
Speaker 2: Houndsmen today typically don't clip their dog's tails, especially in the East. In the West they do, but Crockett said he loved a dog with a clip tail. Later, we're gonna see uh in the next episode, we're gonna hear about the most famous painting of Crockett, which was done in Manhattan, New York, and the painter. Back in those days, when you painted someone, you actually just had to stand there and they painted you. So it was like a daze long thing and uh, he wanted a picture of himself. I'm spilling the beans. This is like my favorite part of the next episode.
Speaker 4: Are you sure that this is the one where he's tipping the hat?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah that one, And I hadn't talked about it yet, so good job on that.
Speaker 6: Uh, no extra points. He Uh.
Speaker 2: The guy was just painting some random dogs on there, and Crockett was like, no, no, no, no, no, we gotta go find some dogs that look no, no, no, this is what was. The guy was painting these purebred dogs that he had got from somewhere in New York, and Kroca was like, nah, we gotta find some dogs that look like Tennessee bear dogs. They went to the streets and got these mongrel dogs and brought them back in and was like, they look like it.
Speaker 1: Yes, here we are.
Speaker 2: Question number four, Phil, This is a fill in the blank question. This is a quote from Crockett. He said, if a fellow is born to be hung, he will never be drowned. And further, if he is born will not be blank. Even flower barrels can't make mash of him.
Speaker 1: We read it again.
Speaker 2: If if a fellow is this is one of my favorite crown no no, no, Well listen, you're looking for a word, but this is one of my favorite Crockett quotes.
Speaker 1: He said, if.
Speaker 2: You're born to be if you're born to be hung, you'll never be drowned. I explained that today my son. I love that quote. He said, if a fellow is born to be hung, he'll never be drowned. And further, if he is born for blank, even flower barrels can't.
Speaker 1: Congress, Congress correct this.
Speaker 3: I knew it was in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One. I listened to the podcast once at regular speed and a second time at one and a half.
Speaker 7: And a half. I listened at one point two five.
Speaker 3: I can't get I mainly listened to because I like him.
Speaker 2: I think a podcast until they runed if you have agree speed you guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah that like this.
Speaker 3: This film has been edited to fit to format your screen when.
Speaker 5: They used to Yeah, man, I I actually wish I could do that to people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, conversation, yeah Crockett.
Speaker 2: In Crockett's biography, I think it's important to note this, so Daniel Boone, I made this statement like four times. I think it's important Daniel Boone became this American archetype. Daniel Boone was like a generation before Crockett Boone. We have this image of him that's really pristine, and I think it's partly because we never really saw Boone's humanity from his own voice. Yeah, there were all these autobiographies of Boone were lost or destroyed, and so Boone is kind of this mysterious guy that we never actually heard from him in his own voice, and Boone has this kind of mythical figure because of that.
Speaker 1: Crockett was so.
Speaker 2: Genuine, vulnerable and real in his autobiography. I think it is detrimental to him. And the autobiography is laced with political stuff and it kind of bugged me because it's like every time he was talking, he would say then, but at that time, I didn't know that one day I would be great and sit amongst the greatest men.
Speaker 1: Of the world.
Speaker 2: Like he kind of is self aggrandizing quite a bit.
Speaker 4: Because he still had an agenda of being president absolutely, and yeah, so he you know, I was thinking about this through the show. When you're state representative, you're there for two years, right, and so as soon as you get elected, you're trying to get re elected, which is kind of a flaw in our whole deal. If you gave those guys a five year term, maybe a single five year term. That way you're not worried about getting re elected and self promoting as much as you are taking care of your folks in in your region.
Speaker 6: Don't bring common sense into this story.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Yeah, but that's how that's how I got it. And you know you talked about him being a self promoter. Yeah, I mean he would be a star on Twitter or tub or whatever. That's that's who he was.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, he was always bringing he was always bringing up his political career inside his autobiography.
Speaker 5: And that's probably why people don't like him, Like that's the legacy if that's his autobiosphy.
Speaker 2: I said it before, if he'd had a good editor and editor down. I mean, I'm being honest. I think a lot of people my write something like that, but it goes through so many they would be like, hey, that sounds. People said that to me before, believe it or not, Joe, they'd been like, hey, when you say it like that, it sounds.
Speaker 8: I wonder if that correlated to the style of the time, though, and I agree, And you had to be the loudest when the loudest guy got.
Speaker 4: Hurt or that he was a Southern frontiersman and everybody in the East thought he was going to be an idiot regardless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he kind of had a chip on his shoulder.
Speaker 4: He had to fight his way through and.
Speaker 1: It was style of the time.
Speaker 2: And what we heard from Robert Morgan is that Crockett like emerged as you know, some would say America's first big celebrity, that someone that was famous in their own time, that knew about their fame, that interacted with their fame, had plays made about them, had a global bestseller book, and he the way he talked and the way he communicated impacted like the next hundred years of literature. And he probably wasn't the only one like it, but he was a big voice inside of that. So like him just being verbose and talking about himself and jumping the Ohio and whipping wildcats and all this stuff. Like I don't think he was the one that created that. I think he heard people like that on the American Frontier, but he was the first guy that had a mouthpiece that was talking like that. And you know, I think he kind of he liked that and he probably took it a little.
Speaker 4: And then it gave probably one of the greatest storytellers of all time, Sam Clemens, gave him a catapult to move on and be Mark Twain.
Speaker 6: Did he ever learn to read? Crockett? Yeah, yeah, he did.
Speaker 1: We missed that. That was a question of The next question was.
Speaker 8: Well when you when you add could again almost ask it like, did he ever learn to read?
Speaker 3: Is that really one of the questions?
Speaker 1: Damn bonus point?
Speaker 2: Wow, Canada? When the Quakers Canaday? Was this like really straight laced influence in Crockett's life. Crockett was just like a poverty stricken rough back.
Speaker 1: I mean, you get the feeling. His dad really loved party animal.
Speaker 2: But his dad was a rough man, just like a rough old just frontiersman, pushed through poverty, was constantly running from being bankrupt and crisis after crisis. His dad had grist mill man. Pretty much in American history if you read about here's a hot tip. If you're reading about American history and you see and then they borrowed some money to have a grist mill, Guarantee it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna get washed away in a flood. Calls him to go bankrupt. Happened.
Speaker 6: Happened.
Speaker 1: Happened to every single person that ever had a gristmill. So we don't get into that business.
Speaker 2: But Canaday was a big influence on Crockett, that kind of and there's been people like that identified with that, like people I made a statement about how people outside of your immediate family when you're in this influential age, really do influence I know men that and not that your family does something wrong, but you're just family. It's like you come out with this worldview from your family and then you kind of you see there's other ways to do things. Okay, Question number five, what European capital city did Crockett almost sail to at the age of fourteen?
Speaker 6: Pairs wrong?
Speaker 7: London?
Speaker 2: Bam, mister Knutan with one H Crockett. We were like, literally Crockett's the guy krogg was working with physically restrained him from getting on a boat and sailing to London. And who knows, he may have got over there and stayed and never come back. This is interesting when he was just a kid. Okay, Mark Twain was born how many months before Crockett died at the Alamo.
Speaker 1: If you remember, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I talked about how their lives overlapped four Who said that.
Speaker 1: Brent Reeves four months?
Speaker 6: So what was like a ten Mark Twain.
Speaker 1: Got Davy Crockett.
Speaker 2: Their lives overlapped by four months. I'm fascinated by thinking about our lifespans. And you know I talked about I was born in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 1: You do the math. I mean, if somebody was eighty years old.
Speaker 3: You know, my great grandfather who I knew well, was born in eighteen ninety eight. Wow, and I'd love to listen to him to the stories pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: So think about I mean, if that were extrapolated back, how much older was he than you?
Speaker 6: Well, he was.
Speaker 3: He would have been ninety ninety six when he died, and that was probably nineteen ninety two, so.
Speaker 2: You would have been like ten, So he would have been like eighty something years older than.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety two. I was sixteen.
Speaker 1: So what I'm saying is what I'm saying is is.
Speaker 3: Seventy six, seventy six, seventy oh yeah he was. He was eighty eighty eighty eight years older.
Speaker 2: Now what the math I'm trying to do though, is if he was born in eighteen ninety eight and he was ten years old. He would have could have been interacting with people born in the eighteen thirties or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, so technically he could have known men that would have grown and Davy Crockett.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, you could go like if you go eighty years back, say like our World War two guys, yep, those you go eighty years back from that, and that was Civil War guys. And you go eighty years back from that, and it's the independence. And so if you take that, because we got two hundred and fiftieth anniversary coming up, we're not that far removed from the founding fathers of this country. Which that's some pretty amazing history if you just sit back and think about it for a minute. And so I'm right there with you. I think this is amazing. The overlap.
Speaker 1: Yeah you don't think.
Speaker 2: You think you hear the eighteen hundreds and it's like that might as well have been like.
Speaker 1: Dinosaur ten thousand, but it's not.
Speaker 8: I was sixteen or seventeen when my great grandfather died and he was born in eighteen ninety one. Really, yep, I'm sitting there. I just did the census thing, so years I couldn't remember great grandfather, my great grandfather the same.
Speaker 3: The same difference in age between your great grandfather my.
Speaker 6: Greatgrand he was born in eighteen ninety one.
Speaker 5: Your daughter's knew they're great. Well on my side, they're they're great great grandparents held them. Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe it was my great grandparents, right, and they're yeah, that's that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the score is is two one one.
Speaker 1: Three one. How do you get Joe's one? Josh is three? Misty one?
Speaker 3: How many questions?
Speaker 6: Two?
Speaker 2: There are two questions left? Two questions left? What was the name of Crockett's first rifle forty eight? Who said it first?
Speaker 6: Jose A cheater?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry making it up the World championship? What's up?
Speaker 4: It was named after his sister.
Speaker 3: It was named after his sister, but it wasn't him that named it.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, well that wasn't the question.
Speaker 2: Well, he did call his rifle Betsy, Okay, so he called he He did officially call his rifle Betsy, but the rifle that I actually got to hold in Knoxville was not likely the rifle that he called Betsy.
Speaker 5: Did he call all ye in the podcast, it was unclear you.
Speaker 2: Get this is more where you get into the mythology, because really the only hard, hard evidence, the primary source data that you have about David Crockett is that book right there, a narrative of the Life of David Crockett by David Crockett. And he never mentions Betsy in that book. Didn't Yeah, he didn't talk about Betsy. But you know, there were a lot of people that knew Crockett that wrote about him that would would have brought just like fest Parker.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it looks just like Daniel Boone to me.
Speaker 1: So what did y'all think about? Was it cool in m j oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was that a good one?
Speaker 2: That was I live for being able to do stuff like that on a podcast, like put Michael Jordan on there and do some really deep metaphor analogy that probably nobody gets.
Speaker 4: But I actually took it a step further and I had to research O Betsy a little bit more, and I watched I watched YouTube video and seeing the rifle and where they talked about they had to reconstruct the forearm of the rifle and because it was in such bad state whenever he purchased it. Yeah, pretty interesting whole deal. I mean, you can sit and watch YouTube videos for about ten hours on a Sunday on Davy Crockett if.
Speaker 6: You want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you saw Joe Swan I did. He's on the internet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all over it. Man.
Speaker 2: He is a really nice guy. He and his son were like super nice guys, really genuine, really just loved Crockett their whole life.
Speaker 1: I mean Joe did. Joe's probably in his seventies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, it was interesting how he got that rifle.
Speaker 6: You still have the ram Rod?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if it's the original.
Speaker 4: What would you say would be the thing that you have in your possession that'd be as close to him owning that rifle anybody has. Anybody got a piece of history, you know.
Speaker 2: Now this doesn't count totally. Somebody else can go after me, but in some ways it does. Right behind you, about three feet from you, is a flintlock musloader that James Lawrence gave me, my old time hero. He's still alive, but he gave me that his old Hawk and fifty caliber several years ago. That's special to me. It happens to be a flint lock that had.
Speaker 6: To be our family bible.
Speaker 8: It was printed in eighteen thirty six and it's got dates in there written of people born in the late seventeen hundreds when they purchased that bible and started writing the Reeves family history.
Speaker 6: And I've got that.
Speaker 4: That would be that's pretty big.
Speaker 7: Interesting is have you seen my wedding ring?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, I did say. My wife's wedding ring has has diamonds from my great grandmother, both my maternal and paternal grandmothers, and one for me.
Speaker 4: I've got an old single shot four to ten. It's a fold over like you can put it in the saddle bag. It's got a notch in that's in the butt stock where the trigger guard slides in there. Oh that my great grandmother used to shoot at rats in the dairy bar. And uh, I've got that hung up on the wall. I think that's family history wise, that's probably the most important one that I got, short of my grandpa's cowboy had That means a lot to me as well.
Speaker 1: But nice, it's a good question.
Speaker 2: So the score is Brent three, Misty one, Josh three, You're still three two.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a.
Speaker 6: I thought you said you had seven questions?
Speaker 3: You get you get a third question?
Speaker 6: Right? You did not?
Speaker 3: Joe, You've got to. Joe's got to I've got three.
Speaker 6: You're a cheater.
Speaker 3: That's okay, calling you out?
Speaker 1: Wow wow, words words.
Speaker 6: If that was a final.
Speaker 2: Question and this would be a tie breaker potentially, or we may just have to go for a tie or.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: In the podcast, I talked about what part of the bear did Hunters and Crocketts time bladder? I am Joe to transport the rendered barrel and the answer was a dry bladder.
Speaker 6: That's true. Time.
Speaker 1: We got a three three part time Misty. Can you think of a question a tie breaking question?
Speaker 7: Yeah? What about with that? Can I just go ahead and ask it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: This is tie breaker. Whoever gets it wins.
Speaker 7: I'm thinking about he's got to cheater.
Speaker 1: I think he's got three.
Speaker 3: How many questions?
Speaker 6: Have we had?
Speaker 3: Nine questions? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. You got a question when was he jilted?
Speaker 7: And by who?
Speaker 6: When?
Speaker 1: I don't even know the answer to that.
Speaker 3: I don't know that was that was?
Speaker 6: That was a Quaker game?
Speaker 3: Did it say what year? No, he was seventeen? Was he seventeen? We got on that one and his name was started with an l Okay.
Speaker 7: I got one the night before his wedding is what I would have?
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: What is the name of Crocketts first one? Polly is our winner around.
Speaker 4: He's going to get.
Speaker 1: The bottle of Wilsonshire saw.
Speaker 4: To cook it, drink it and depending how you behave, I'll autograph it.
Speaker 1: Joe. Joe's face is on the bottle of wilson Shire. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: It's got cowboy hat, big mustache. It was a right marketing move for your face.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you my favorite part of the podcast? Yes, my favorite part of the podcast was when he showed up when he was I don't I don't remember what after he had worked for Canada fifteen Is that after he worked for Canada, when he when he had the forty dollars bond and he walked back and he set it down in front of his dad and his dad said, I don't have money for that, and he said, I took care of it. I was like that, that's the kind of thing that like, well, first of all, it pulls at the heartstrings a little bit because I loved the sacrifice and commitment. I mean this is for a dad who bonded you out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But just the commitment and then the lack of I mean, he could have done it and been been you know, held a grudge about it, but he didn't. And and I love that it said that his dad, who was who repeatedly was referred to as a you know, the the what was the name of the Irish ulster Scott. Yeah, yes, yes, would have been a rough man. I mean he ran a tavern that he shed many tears over that. I thought that's the kind of thing that that after years of I'm sure they probably didn't have a great relationship, that's the kind of thing that that builds a bond there, that makes that father and son dynamic.
Speaker 8: Right, it was the right thing to do. I go back to that talking about that too, Josh. It was just I think it was a I don't think it was an anomaly. There was probably a lot of that stuff going on. He was just unfortunate enough to be one of the out of that litter of nine, wasn't it nine that that had to go pay that off? So I think it was the right thing.
Speaker 1: I felt like.
Speaker 2: So every most people, maybe not most people, a lot of people would know the high points of Crockett's life. When you're trying to tell a big story like this, you know, there's some things you just have to leave out and.
Speaker 1: Some things you want to add in.
Speaker 2: I felt like everybody knows a lot of the big Crocket stuff, but his childhood, actually what made him who he was, I felt like was really important.
Speaker 1: And I actually kind of felt.
Speaker 2: Like maybe this podcast would be a little boring because it's kind of like small stuff, Like, you know, I included when he took that canoe across the river. He included that in his autobiography. Basically, I just went through the autobiography and included most of the not maybe not even most, but some percentage of the stories. I wanted to include the stuff about his dad. I wanted to include the stuff about him coming home and no one recognizing him. You remember that, Yeah, Like he walks back into his own house, Ye, gets a room from one of his family members, sets down at the table in one of his sister's.
Speaker 4: Record because he had matured so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and and he and Crockett, to his own detriment, always showed his cards in a genuine way. He said, he said, when they embraced me, and my dad embraced me even though he was mad at me when I left, and he said, it made me wish I had never put them through all this stuff. When Crockett was jilted the day before his wedding, and and I'm saying this because the next episode you see Crockett's blunder, which Crockett did kind of screw his life up eventually. Yeah, Crockett, Uh, Like when he talked about getting jilted. I listened to that part today and he went into great detail, vulnerable detail in his autobiography about how it hurt him when this this woman left him, like literally the day.
Speaker 6: I just brushed over it, like.
Speaker 2: He was a man just like any of us. And I that's what's cool about Crockett. You don't know that stuff about Boone nothing. It's a mystery. It's a mystery what went on with Boone and and but Krogett you see him full, full scale, and he represented a an archetype really of manhood in America and the frontier that I believe today is still active, for better or worse. That's why these things are so interesting to me because It's like we wake up and are born into something that tells us what has value. And that's why I think this stuff is interesting to look back at why we think the way we think.
Speaker 1: And obviously people like us people.
Speaker 2: Connected to hunting specifically, but just rural America. And it's not just hunters that are connected to Crockett. I mean he set a template for a lot of different stuff. But I like to learn where you know are Well, I'm gonna get into more.
Speaker 7: Ei, We're gonna get into Yeah.
Speaker 2: So closing comments, Joe, it's been great to have you man, really so it was so good hearing about the Squirrel Cookoff September twenty third.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Springdale, Arkansas. Man, be there. Brent's gonna for sure be there.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 2: I've got a trip, but I think I'm going to be back by that time.
Speaker 4: Well, we'd love to have all your listeners. And like I say, they could pay attention to that Facebook page. That's I'm old school. I don't have all the other ones all right, but on Facebook he could look up the World Champions Squirrel Cookoff and hey, could I give We also have a podcast, yes, absolutely. Our podcast is called cooking Up a Story and we try to put faces on common people. And because so many people get overlooked, we don't pay attention to the guy that makes the doughnuts. We don't know who that person is. So we drag in common people and we dig deep into their start of their life all the way up to current and we get better because of it.
Speaker 2: So it's a really neat podcast. Yeah, what was the one you sent me?
Speaker 4: I sent you the donut Man. Yeah, and so I had a curiosity why every time I went to the donut shop there was an Asian guy making my donuts. And come to find out, they're all Cambodian. And this guy had survived the killing fields. He was a Buddhist monk. He was enslaved several times in his life, and he prayed to Jesus, wound up in New York City and become an American as a Buddhist.
Speaker 1: That episode is phenomenal.
Speaker 4: It's uh yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Joe, he's given you the short version, which is good.
Speaker 2: But basically, Joe just said a stereotype that anybody in America would probably recognize that a lot of donut shops are run by Asian people.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's not like that's just it happens.
Speaker 2: Joe went to his local donut shop and just interviewed the guy that owned the shop. This is a short version, and this guy has the most phenomenal story you've ever heard.
Speaker 4: In it's amazing. I mean, this guy needs a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's his name?
Speaker 4: Lang Tang, Lang Tang, And.
Speaker 1: It's called what's it called?
Speaker 4: It's cooking up a story in that episode is the podcast is cooking up a story of the episode is donut guy, donut guy and phenomenon. I mean, that's how we look at people. Sure, right, that's the guy that pours the concrete, the plumber, that's the mailman, And we've surrounded ourselves with all these people. And back in time, I'm saying, when I was a pup, we knew those people's names. And one of the problems with society right now is you push a button, you buy something, you don't know nothing about it. You don't even know the guy that dropped it off on your front porch. So we're trying to find common people who have exceptional stories and unless we sit down with and those stories are lost. So that's that's the game. And then the guy across from me wearing the overalls. Man. How about his show?
Speaker 1: Yeah man, this week this country life Brent Reeves.
Speaker 6: Squirrel dogs, squirrel dogs, talking all about them.
Speaker 8: Get your prepped up for going to the World Show Championship.
Speaker 4: Good stuff, great show man. Looking forward to the rest. We're getting into the Alamo.
Speaker 1: We will later.
Speaker 6: Got you.
Speaker 1: It's getting close, all right.
Speaker 2: Keep your wild places wild and get your Wilson shirts off.
Speaker 6: Break out the case.