Speaker 1: Oh my god, hide the foodies back again. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm one more thing speaking of food, and before we get to whatever that is just came across this. This has got to be one of those causation versus what is that that?
Speaker 1: What is it? Correlation?
Speaker 2: Correlation? Yeah, uh, there's got to be something else. Adults whose spicy food intake you like, the spicy food averaged six to seven days a week had a fourteen percent lower relative risk of dying than those who take Why why would what's the what's the theory?
Speaker 1: No, I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just try. I never think it's that stuff. I always think it's a correlation. Like what is the lifestyle of people who eat spicy food that would cause them to die less? Way around?
Speaker 1: Like you're like your your big fat southern.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe it's about to have a heart attack. Yeah, those foods are I don't call it bland, but it's not spicy. A lot of gravy and fried chicken and all those flavors which I love, but it's not spicy. You're right, I'll bet it's that.
Speaker 1: Oh. I discovered I like Indian food even more than I realized. On the cruise, because that's.
Speaker 2: One flavor I do not like.
Speaker 1: Oh Man was so good, but that's spicy.
Speaker 2: Indian casino or wins spelling Bee.
Speaker 1: Championship spelling Bee. Yeah, yeah, the subcontinent, not the reservations. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah. Yeah. We made some jokes when we were talking about the cruise and all about food and buffets and stuff like that, and it is possible just taking way, way, way too many calories. It's not like you eat like a hog in an individual meal, but every time you're hungry, you have fabulously prepared a huge variety of food to choose from her.
Speaker 2: A little of this, a little maybe a little bit of that, with the added weird mental thing of you paid for this and you kind of get more value the more you eat, which doesn't make any sense, but well.
Speaker 1: You're right. But yeah, there were a couple of mornings I had what I usually have for breakfast, which is some yogurt and fruit, maybe some nuts on top of it.
Speaker 2: I paid for this. I'm not just gonna have yogurt and fruit.
Speaker 1: Here. I am walking past the salmon and the bagels and the pre made omelets or the order on omelet or the delicious bacon and the just everything.
Speaker 2: I got up in the morning to make it, and everything you eave them standing there alone, muffins and danishes and what else was there?
Speaker 1: Just everything everything you could possibly.
Speaker 2: Eakfast, the sort of pancake or French toast.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Of course, yes, every variety you can imagine. You think I'm just having a cup of yogurt. I'm losing money here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, yeah, And what's the point of being alive?
Speaker 1: Just gain like three pounds that you know, you know how weighing in goes Tomorrow it could be three more pounds and I'll be like, wait what, but we'll say so. On the cruise, I found myself thinking about a couple of things. Number one, retirement, not because I'm considering it. Really a lot of my friends and golf buddies are retired or about to retire and stuff like that. It's kind of it's a conversation that I have. But I love what I do and I'm super interested in it, and I just I don't want to. So maybe a little bit different, a little different work life balance, but in short, I don't want to. But I was thinking about self discipline in the different kinds of it. And here's why. I you know, I make jokes about drinking a lot, but I'm pretty responsible about my drinking, hardly because I don't want my wife to think I'm a lush and also because I care about this job. And if I get like hammered and I'm hungover the next day, I'm not as good at it, and I that it kills me. I hate that. But I was thinking on vacation, we would like to do almost every day an outing or an adventure, whether it was a we did a couple of kayak excursions that were quite strenuous, or a you know, floatplane thing or a hike or whatever, and you can't do them hungover, especially if I'm not I've tried, I'm miserable and I'm and you know, everybody, depending on your age, has a different view of what it means to be hungover. I remember when it was just a headache and my stomach didn't feel good, but it kind of evolves to I know you remember this from your drinking days. Excess of alcohol use can have digestive.
Speaker 2: Effects where indeed, if you were to be kayak when saying there was no saying no, what are you gonna do you want to send this guyak to the dry cleaner?
Speaker 1: You're gonna, yes, Selene, what are you gonna hang your ours over the edge and pollute the glacier lake? I know. So a lot of the discipline I showed on vacation was what I would call a circumstance related. And I realized, if and you know, I don't where does one start in the other one end or whatever? If I could, if it just doesn't matter how I feel the next day, or if there were no scale, would I be self disciplined at all?
Speaker 2: Or what?
Speaker 1: I just I'm trying to understand what is like actual moral and what is just a practical concession of the fact that I don't want to suck at my job and I don't want to have to take a crap in the middle of a lake, which is sorry those of you with more delicate sensibilities, it's a good thing to avoid. Yeah, oh lord, that's a good point. Uh. I don't know. I don't have any point to this. I just found myself thinking, are you really disciplined or is this just again a practical accommodation to the good things and bad things you want to avoid? Or are those the same thing? Right? It is that the same thing.
Speaker 2: I got two examples of that kind of like. So I'm in the gym almost every day. I'm very very consistent, right yeah, much more disciplined than I am right now. But it's not driven by health or any sort of like noble reason. It's because I'm single. It's vanity and lasciviousness.
Speaker 1: That's it is.
Speaker 2: It's never apologized for Lascius. It is not any sort of well the doctor said I should keep my cluster. No, no, no, I don't think about that at all. And then so I've been trying to write lately. I'm trying to make that a new habit.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bought this really cool electric typewriter thing. It's awesome, it feels uh oh uh oh.
Speaker 1: The I'm going to turn over a new leaf.
Speaker 2: So I buy gears, right, definitely something you gotta watch out for a lot. I gotta type on something. I just I hate typing on computers. I always have. And I came across this thing about how a lot of people hate type on computers. I just hate it, something about the shallow depth and the sound or something like that. So I bought this thing that's very popular with writers that feels and sounds like a typewriter, but it's a word processor thing. Very cool. And also it's not hooked to the internet and it's impossible, so you can't go online. Also, that's the other thing with computers. There's lots of people talking about it's just too easy to check your email real quick or a text comes in. So I got this word process or thing that I've been using, and I've been trying to be disciplined every single day and I was actually typing last night, doing my kind of journaling before I try to write anything, but just owt You know. The weird thing about that trying to get this is nobody's making me do this. I don't have to do it. I could easily say, you know what, you're X years old, who cares? Don't do it? Why are you making yourself do something that you find to be a chore?
Speaker 1: Why? What is the goal here?
Speaker 2: What's the Because it's not like lifting weights I'm doing so I can get a girlfriend. What am I gonna get out of writing other than in theory some sort So yeah, motivating yourself to do things for the right reason is hard.
Speaker 1: If I had to write postponing brain rot though. That's yeah, that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Boy, I don't know. That doesn't work for me either, because I mean, that'd be the exercise thing I should be exercising because it's gonna help me live a longer, more enjoyable life.
Speaker 1: That's not why I'm exercising.
Speaker 2: I need you writers get laid a lot. I need some reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do conflicted about it.
Speaker 2: Uh if like if I got horrible, uncontrollable diarrhea by not writing, kind of like your motivation for drinking.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, the least bit controllable.
Speaker 2: It's funny the motivation of what makes people do things or not, And you'd like it to be a character driven, but it oftentimes is not.
Speaker 1: So. Yeah. Well, I've I've often said, particularly of a certain young man who I'm very, very fond of, that I wish you would find a great woman because if you're the sort of guy and there are plenty of you that are self motivated to become everything you can be good for you. Uh. For me, A huge factor in my life, huge was not wanting to let down my wife or my children. Oh yeah, I'm afraid I could be a slacker. Bum fairly easily, but I'm not for obvious reasons. Uh yeah, yeah, So what is the nature of self discipline?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Hmm, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Are most people driven by the sticks rather than the carrots or or or carrots that aren't anything you should be proud of.
Speaker 1: Also, your metaphor is getting a little hasty to me, what am I doing with the carrot? Is this a substitute for getting laid or now? I well, you know I Also there's the I want to do good at my job because I like money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have any problem with that. You know, we're on a stage every single day. Who wants to embarrass themselves on stage in front of people?
Speaker 1: But that's a.
Speaker 2: Stick also, yeah, avoiding embarrassment. So like you, Michael, you you're pretty disciplined with your eating, But that's because the doctor flat out told you you're going to lose your feet or die or what.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and you know I like having toes.
Speaker 1: So I eat.
Speaker 2: Probably you have to buy all new socks.
Speaker 3: But I was thinking about when you guys were talking about retirement. Yeah, by not retiring, by working till the day you die, you always have that stick.
Speaker 1: Which is good.
Speaker 3: It means you can't drink as much as you want. You've got to show up somewhere, so it it creates discipline.
Speaker 1: Well, you're right, and that's actually I left unsaid kind of that point that I was thinking about retirement, thinking well, I'll have to institute a new system of self discipline or kind of a new paradigm to not just go completely nuts. And I've talked to enough friends who have retired that Yeah, that's part of it. And you have to figure out a purpose. You have to have a reason to get up in the morning. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, I had a couple of I only had a couple of days where when we were on vacation last week where my kids were busy and I had the whole day free, and man, at least one of them, I.
Speaker 1: Just completely wasted.
Speaker 2: And I thought, dang it. I mean like I was so productive when the kids were little, especially, It's like I don't even know how I did it, just to go all day long because I had no choice, given a choice, it's very easy for me to sleep late, flip on the TV. You know, I could use a nap.
Speaker 1: You just got up.
Speaker 2: I'm tired. I can get out of hand. So fast, and I know I've talked to people retired who yes, that can happen. Next thing, you know, a month has gone by and you haven't done any of the things you thought you were going to do in retirement, none of them that.
Speaker 1: Would be me. I had a friend I wish we'd stayed in touch, but when we met Roger, he was seventy seven years old. He was our next door neighbor at our walled compound in the woods, and and he was just starting a big new business and had to fly back and forth to Montana. I think because he believed you retire, you die. He'd had several friends who were tired and then just boom they did. In the last two years.
Speaker 2: I've told you the story about my financial guy, who you know. He said, I have seen this my entire career, people who can't wait to retire, And then when I see him the next year, one year later, when they come back for their evaluation, they look like they've aged fifteen years. He said, it's like it's like a truism. And then I know some people who have thrived in retirement. They're doing great.
Speaker 1: Generally, they're busy, they're trying to accomplish something. They're doing something that's important to them. But you know what, I've got this retired doctor friend who's absolutely hilarious, and he's been retired for an number of years. He couldn't be happier. And you know, we'll play golf, we'll have a drink or two after the round or something. I'll say, well, I gotta knock it off. I gotta work tomorrow, and say, Joe, you know what, I gotta work never And he really relishes it and he'll outlive us all. So just how is I wish there was a genetic test you could take? Or listen? You're a four C. I need you to listen to me, very very carefully. The minute you leave work, you do this, that and the other. You'll be dead within a year or whatever. You're a one be don't worry, You'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not good with free time. I wish I was better at it, but I'm not good with it.
Speaker 1: So saw a bunch of whales Alaska, two bears, handful of orcas. We saw you get flipped on your head by that bison, got flipped on my head by bison. Let's see sea otters sea lion, stellar seals. It's not a rating, that's that's the breed.
Speaker 2: A bunch of good names for a breed. I wish I was like the magnificent Jack. That was just my name, right, Stellar sea lions. Yeah, they remind me of great egrets. Look, that's a great egret.
Speaker 1: I've seen better egrets. Yeah, it's okay, boy. The wildlife, the wildlife. You know, it's surprising about wildlife. It's how little you see. You're in like a vast wild, untrammeled wilderness. Odds are good. You're not gonna see goddamn squirrel. I mean, just because there's so much room. It's not like the bears are crowded together like commuters on a subway car or something like that. They're off, they're off in a wilderness. Right.
Speaker 2: Did you see uh, like ice in water?
Speaker 1: What do you call that? All icebergs? Icebergs?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we saw some beautiful glaciers and icebergs. You got three kinds of iceberg jack, depending on their size, you got uh two meters or smaller. I think those are growlers. Seriously, that's that's what you call unfortunate iceberg.
Speaker 2: Now, most of the iceberg is above water? Do I remember that correctly?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, as a matter of fact, that is incorrect. So you got your growlers, Michael, And your second size is I believe, up to five meters in length, and those are called believe it or not, bergie bits, which is as cutesy as growler is unfortunate. And then more than five meters you've got an iceberg.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: Indeed, contrary to Jack's belief, they're dangerous because you can only see a fraction.
Speaker 2: Why did we all learn in grade school that seven tenths of an iceberg is under the water like we are all because the Titanic was Titanic not everybody needs to know this in case you're ever pilot in a boat right outside of Scandinavia.
Speaker 1: Look, if you find yourself piloting an enormous ocean liner, remember this one thing of all things to learn right right?
Speaker 3: Hey, real quick? A serious question? How daylight hours? Was it daylight for twelve hours a day or what's it like up there?
Speaker 1: Not quite because we were in late June early July, but it was blazing sunshine at ten o'clock at night ten o'clock. Wow, Oh yeah, you'd be you'd be you know, sipping drinks and doing whatever, and you'd look at your watch and think, holy crap, how did that happen? And then you'd wake up, you know in the wee hours of the morning too, I don't know, perhaps relieve yourself and uh, and the sun would be bullazing. Oh boy, oh boy. And the sun would be blazing. It should ended at about a minute ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I guess that's it.