Speaker 1: Welcome inside with the insiders alongside Mike Garafollo. I am Tom Pellicero. It is July first, and you know what that means. No, not just Canada Dale, though we'll have Stacey Dial's with us shortly here to talk about the Packers and the Bears. We can now say every NFL team reports to training camp by the end of this month, and we get a jam pack show for you as we kick things off here with sixty six days until kickoff. Brian Burns the new Giants pass rusher going to join our Brian Baldinger at the Sack Summit. We'll have Paris Johnson, Cardinals tackle on the show. What's he seen so far from his old Ohio state buddy Marvin Arrison Junior. We'll talk to him about that. We'll talk about the Colts, we'll talk about the Texans, we'll talk about the Cowboys. But let's begin, as we have so often this offseason, with a little bit of wide receiver drama and not necessary. The guy that you're thinking about Dolphins start Tyreek Hill. He's got two real years and about forty three million dollars left on the contract that reset the market two years ago. He confirmed today to all these other wide receivers getting paid.
Speaker 2: Hey, he'd like to get paid again. Very you know, proud of those guys.
Speaker 3: You're happy for obviously my team mcwadall, you know, getting his new deal. So for guys like me, that's great. You know, I'm thirty years old, you know, also looking for a new deal, so very very excited to see where you know, I'll feed in to like that category.
Speaker 1: With right, So you rewind the clock to twenty twenty two, Mike and we were talking about Davonte Adams. He got the big deal. It was twenty five on paper, it was really like twenty two and change. Then Tyreek beats that and it's thirty. It's really twenty five. But here we are a couple of years later, Justin Jefferson gets thirty five million dollars per year. It probably shouldn't surprise anybody that, with just several weeks left until training can here.
Speaker 2: If you're listing off the top.
Speaker 1: Stories need to get resolved before camps open, a handful of them right now are the wide receivers. I'll start with Tyreek, and I still think that the easiest fix here and something that they're going to explore as a possible option here for the size here is to borrow off of that forty five million dollar number that he's got in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: That was never meant to be a real year.
Speaker 4: That number was put in there to inflate the overall value of the deal.
Speaker 2: It's not guaranteed money, so you.
Speaker 4: Could take that and you can knock that down. Let's say you knock it down by I'm going to pick a number fifteen, right, you get it down to thirty, and you take that fifteen million, and you could spread it out over.
Speaker 2: Twenty four and twenty five.
Speaker 4: You could do it in the form of incentives maybe however you want to do it. But in return, the Dolphins could pick up an extra year on the contract, because now that is a reasonable number that they could potentially keep him at in twenty twenty six, and he gets his raise and maybe he's got to work for it a little bit along the next couple of years. That to me is the most reasonable option. The problem is you need that pressure point to make it happen. It's either the start of training camp and the thread of whether it's Tyreek Hill or any of these other guys we're talking about the threat of a possible holdout or the start of the season where the player is gonna want it done before he sets foot on the field to get a little bit more security. I think that's an option for Tyreek Hill. As it pertains to Brandon Ayuk in San Francisco, this is going to be more of a extension than a play with the numbers, move.
Speaker 2: Stop up type of deal.
Speaker 4: Is he gonna be with the forty nine ers long term or is he not going to be with the forty nine ers long term? Is he going to have to play out this year? Is going to be potentially playing for the team he's playing against? Right there, he has alluded to the fact that he thinks he's going to be with the Niners in some form of fashion in twenty four if not with the Commanders or with the Steelers. For Ayuk in the forty nine Ers, they had conversations recently. They're no closer to a deal from my understanding, but they're also no closer to a trade request.
Speaker 2: That's never been something that he is lord in this case.
Speaker 4: Besides, he's got to get back to work sometime before training camp to see if they can get something done to have him in San Francisco for the long haul.
Speaker 1: It is entertaining watching Brandon ayuquhether he's having somebody record a stage FaceTime with Jaden Daniels, or he's tweeting. He's re fining to things he hears. He's driving up to the gate at the team facility saying open the bleeping gate. There's a big show in this. He actually he kind of broke through the fourth wall in that interview that they did on the Pivot podcast, saying, you know, I like walking waking up every day and everyone's talking about me. Mom says they're talking about me at work. DMZ's waiting for me at the airport. I'm trying to use my leverage. Well, much like fight Club, the first rule of using your leverage is not saying that you're using your leverage anyway. We'll see where that one goes. Ceedee Lamb also is a holdout from Minnie Camp. We'll see whether he shows up. We'll see if something gets done with Amari Cooper and the Browns. You got Portland Sutton, he got Jamar Chase. There is a line of wide receivers, Mike. We'll see who ends up getting paid. Speaking of Tyreek Hill, he has said he would like to be in the twenty twenty eight Olympics as the flag football event kicks off that year. We know who was in the twenty twenty four Olympics. You guessed it, the great Simane Biles, once again making the US women's gymnastics team roster. Her husband at Bears defensive back Jonathan Owen's is saying to Paris to support her. The team has granted him clearance to miss a few days of training camp to go cheer her on to try to pursue some more goals. As we welcome in our own Olympian Stacy Dales along with Mark Ross.
Speaker 2: Stacey. We look at this Bears team.
Speaker 1: We've talked so much about Caleb Williams, We've talked so much about Romadoons, all the parts that they've added on offense. Big part of their success the second half last year was the leaps that defense was taken. Tell me more about what we're seeing on that side of the ball with Matt Eberflus calling it full time here in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Hey, Tom and Mark, Happy Canada Day. By the way, I wouldn't missing a few days of training camp and go watch someone files in Paris.
Speaker 6: That would be pretty phenomenal. Greatest of all time. Goat the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 5: It'll be a storyline throughout the course of the season, as you just alluded to with Caleb Williams in this offense and the evolution there. But I really think right now, the bread and butter is their defense, and as you just mentioned, Tom, it just got markedly better. Montes Sweat impacted it. But having been around them a little bit this offseason, pads are a thing. Right we constantly here they're not in pads. They're not in pads. But there's a moxie about this group, and as you know, you've heard from players like Montese Sweat and Tremade Edmunds, the linebacker, that there's a carryover. I really think when you look at this unit in its totality, they tied for first in interceptions, right you see the takeaways there in the lower third, tied for fifth in that category overall. But they were also the best rush defense in football. Here's where they have to get better.
Speaker 6: They were bottom five and pass tds allowed loud. They were bottom five in sacks.
Speaker 5: I think you're going to see a group with an incredible secondary.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is a potent group.
Speaker 5: When you consider Johnson and Stevenson and Brisker and Gordon and Byered. The linebackers Mark and Tom are really good in terms of sideline to sideline, TJ. Edwards and Tremade Edmonds. I just mentioned that duo. But what will happen upfront? I wouldn't put it past Ryan Poles to add somebody as we approach training camp in a few weeks to that defensive group. But they're looking for a bunch of those young guys to step up, you know, as Zach Pickens, you know some of the rookies that we saw last year. Of course Durvon Dexter, and so it'll be interesting to see who helps Montese sweat. But make no mistake about it, this defense is actually really good in Chicago and has the potential to be a top five unit this season.
Speaker 2: It's fancy.
Speaker 7: That's why everybody's so excited about Chicago. Kavid Williams wasn't getting dropped into your usual first pick in the draft situation. Where As you mentioned, the defense was pretty sturdy for the second half half of the season and of course all of the playmakers he has on offense, but you mentioned how they got better and the strengths and weaknesses, and I always look at how teams are constructed, and when you talked about that secondary a little bit, Stacey, there seemed to be a concerted effort to say, we're going to have our sweet spot in the second round of drafting secondary players. They've taken four Ryan Pole's a GM has taken four defensive backs in the last few drafts that'll probably start this year. You mentioned Jalen Johnson and Brisker Tyreek Stevenson and Kyler Gordon.
Speaker 2: So all four of those guys got.
Speaker 7: Taken in the second round and should get marketly better because they are a young group. Now got the veteran Kevin Byert hopefully will help them out as well. Of course, everything starts up front, but I think Ryan Poles really constructed it to say, Okay, we're not nasty upfront just yet, but we're going to build this secondary to try to help that pass rush out now. And it's when I look at how they're constructed, it really jumped out to me, Stacey and Tom.
Speaker 1: Defense is one reason that the Bears right now a trendy pick to make the playoffs, but they got to get through. Of course, the Lions also got to get through the Packers, who Stacey the second half of last season into the playoffs right up until Jordan Love threw that interception. That was one of the hottest teams in football. Gonn be a huge focus again on Jordan Love, those young receivers with another year under their belt, Josh Jacobs, who's joining the Insiders tomorrow, adding to that backfield here. But on the defensive side, we got big changes in Green Bay too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is a complete makeover. This is a complete overhaul.
Speaker 5: The three words that Jeff Hafley, the new defensive coordinator, has been preaching this offseason to his players is attitude, effort, and commitment.
Speaker 6: And by and large we've seen that.
Speaker 5: It's really refreshing to see what they are doing to this defense in Green Bay, which wasn't too bad last year, but they gave up a bunch of big plays. They struggled in that area, and they struggled to stop the run. So this is a complete scheme shift. We're going to a fourth three, but as Hafley has talked about, you're going to see a plethora of schemes defensially, defensively, formationally for the Packers, but he's simplifying it because he wants his players to play fast, without thinking, without overthinking, and when players hear that, they pin their ears back and they go. I think you're going to see players like Rashaan Gary and Preston Smith upfront. That is where the veteran nucleus of this defensive unit is really come alive this season. But they are extremely excited about how Halfley uses his linebackers in coverage. When you consider, you know, you know, some of their new players there. In terms of those linebackers, Edgerant's going to be phenomenal, but their back end is really exciting. I think Xavier McKinney, guys, is a huge addition at the safety position. Obviously Bullard the rookie also added, so that safety combination really should change for the Packers defensively to where they just play free. They're more op tunistic and they are a lot more aggressive in Green Bay. But it's going to be fun to watch Eddrian Cooper and all of these young players come together, Mark and Tom in a division that right now, I guess you.
Speaker 6: Guys, could probably agree with me.
Speaker 5: Is on paper one of the best in the NFL heading into the twenty twenty four campaign.
Speaker 7: A lot of fun there in that division, Stacy, as you mentioned, and you know, the biggest change, of course is Jeff halfway Inn as the coordinator.
Speaker 2: One thing interesting and.
Speaker 7: Looking at his background, he's been a head coach, but he's only been a defensive coordinator one year the twenty four years that he's coached in the college and the pros and now the co defensive coordinator job at Ohio State. So it'll be interesting to see what he's going to bring, how he's going to construct the defense. You touched on it, Stacy, But until we see it on the field, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I just think they have a ton of talent.
Speaker 7: We talked about the secondary, the investment in the secondary with the Bears and the second round picks, but the Packer have a ton of first round picks on their defense.
Speaker 2: Lucas's from last year.
Speaker 7: We need to step up before as Gary was even going back to Clark with the first round pick. You mentioned kway Walker as well, and Edrian Cooper is to me is going to be super exciting. All those guys can get after the passer. And although Cooper is a linebacker, when he was at A and M he had seventeen tackles for a loss. He was in the backfield all the time. To me, his strength was really blitzing and getting to the quarterback or getting in the backfield. So expect to see a lot of him going forward. Yes, he'll have to cover and get in space like Quay does, but expect to see a lot of Edgering Cooper coming forward getting after with the rest of those guys.
Speaker 1: Tom did I mention Josh Jacobs on The Insiders tomorrow you're gonna want to be here. We got a lot more first in this show, Stacey Mark.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere. Will be back with you shortly coming up after this.
Speaker 1: The AFC South last year was dominated by one team starting a rookie quarterback, another team that persevered despite losing its rookie quarterback.
Speaker 2: How could his CJ.
Speaker 1: Stroud Anthony Richardson rivalry developed in year two? We'll discuss it after this On The Insiders.
Speaker 8: Indians called slack black Anthony Richardsonson quarter.
Speaker 4: About Richardson's gonna take off and runn He's at.
Speaker 9: The touch down.
Speaker 10: The first career took down for Anthony Richardson looking out.
Speaker 2: Right, what was on the rug? Fires it upfield?
Speaker 7: The pass us fought by.
Speaker 1: Indianapolis An heroic row by Anthony Richardson and Ronnie right side is Anthony Richardson turns the hurt he's down.
Speaker 4: This is where this kid is gonna give us so much. We got just a little taste of Anthony Richardson in twenty twenty three of what he is capable of doing on the field that we are looking forward to seeing him back on the field this upcoming season. Stacy Dall's is with us back again. Jane Slater with us as well. Anthony Richardson in mini camp a couple of days there wasn't throwing and there was everybody on the outside looking in and saying, whoa, whoa, what's the problem. He's supposed to be full go right now. Well, Chris Ballard, the coult general manager, saying that Richardson.
Speaker 2: Will be a full go for training camp.
Speaker 4: Stace, so what is the expectation with regard to once he is a full go and that shoulder surgery is behind him, what we can expect for him in his second year?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we know that Anthony Richardson, Mike and Jane have had the injury issues over the course of his entire football career. Right, He's been head a schedule for months with this shoulder thing, and I think it's just been that you term we use in the NFL, cautiously optimistic when a player's coming back from injury. They've had to actually hold him back, which is why you saw him sit out that final day of mini camp because he had some soreness. As we watch back this unfortunate injury from last season, and we saw so many snippets of greatness, but I think we can all agree that you know what we've seen from Anthony Richardson, guys, he's launching the ball, easily launching the ball. Pull up anything on X and you will see it sixty yards, sixty five seventy yards. He has admitted that he's been, you know, months ahead of schedule, weeks ahead of schedule, and I think if you look no further to him mailing it in with his recent on the court antics a little air windmill, if you will, I think Anthony Richardson is feeling just fine, Like, can we just like watch this. I've watched this like a thousand times, like it's just like effortless, right, And here's what I love about it. These are the reasons you have to be excited if you're a coltspan. Their offensive line returns all five starters, right, Bernard Ryman on the left side, Braden Smith on the right side, and of course Ryan Kelly in the middle, who's one of the best in the business. That offensive line is back to or should be back to, being really good. And then one player that isn't having all this offseason drama that maybe there was some last year in the running back Jonathan Taylor. I'm going to go to training camp and I'm going to watch him actually working out on the field because he doesn't have any contract issues. What Jim Bob Couter the offensive coordinator, and Shane Stike and the head coach can do with those two alone can cause some confusion and stress on a defense. I cannot wait to see how they use him. But of course he's got to be healthy. I like that the offensive line's healthy and that he's got a group like them.
Speaker 4: Four games for Anthony Richardson last year, four rushing touchdowns, three passing touchdowns to go on top of that to only one interception. We said he needed to get some playing experience. He didn't get as much as we wanted to see last year. So this year going to be big for him to have like his rookie year plus.
Speaker 2: That's what we'll call twenty twenty four for him.
Speaker 4: Speaking of sensational rookies that played the entire season, Jane c J. Stroud in Texas, in Texas, down there, and you add Stefan Diggs to the mix, and it sounds like these two are vibing already.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but real quick, I just want to see Stacy Dill's do one of those windmills for us getting the Jem Dell's.
Speaker 6: I know you've got it in there.
Speaker 11: I know some hops are in there. But as much as you guys are talking about Anthony Richardson and the Colts finding their quarterback, you're right, gee, they've got their quarterback down there in Houston.
Speaker 4: C J.
Speaker 11: Stroud had such a dynamic first year, and then you've got guys like to make a Ryan taking care of the defense. The big thing that we touched on a couple of weeks ago, guys, was the addition of Stephan Digs down there. Now that was a move that I think shocked a lot of us this all season because it was kept so quiet, they played the cards so close to their vest. But what it does, it adds yet another weapon to c J. Stroud's arsenal there and you see Stroud and Diggs, they're throwing the ball in Paris, folks, no days off. So Terrell Owen spent some time with CJ. Stroud at his camp this summer, so I thought to myself, why not just go ask one of the top five receivers of all time what does he think of this connection?
Speaker 6: And he had a lot of thoughts.
Speaker 11: I mean, he gave me a whole lot of notes on this, but he ultimately said, with Stefan Diggs, what you really want from him was the guy that you saw in Minnesota. You don't want a complimentary player. You want him to be the playmaker. Now with the Bills, you obviously saw his numbers during the year looked great, but sometimes in the postseason it didn't always translate. And that's what he needs to do. He needs him to step up like that. But he also added add a guy like Stefan Diggs to that room that's already got tant Dell in there, You've got Nico Collins. This could be a really, really special group. But I thought what was more interesting coming from Terrell Owens When I talked to him about c. J. Stroud, he was so impressed with just his school, his skills, and his tool set and ye're one, he thinks giving him those two type of wide receivers, this is now a guy that could be a top tier quarterback. In fact, he said he thought he could be a top two or three guy. So interesting to see if that plays itself out well. He certainly has got a lot of the tools around him. We're seeing them do a lot of stuff down there in Houston.
Speaker 4: We've got a lot of Paris talk happening today. Stroud and Diggs out there in Paris throw and I'd love to see the reaction from anybody walking by us. No concept of American football watching those guys do that. We talked about Jonathan Owens going to Paris to see his wife, Simon and Biles in the Olympics, Paris Johnson going to be joining us later Paris. Johnson went to Paris recently. Paris in Paris, how about that? I think we should all go to Paris. You know what, no show tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We're going to Paris. I just made that decision.
Speaker 6: Yes, we're in the day shot Paris. Every time you hear it, Hey.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 4: Take a shot of I don't know what was a drink there, red wine? I guess there you go, Dimico. Ryan's one of the members of the Hall of Fama. See Roddy White there, you see Eric Weddle there as well. The Senior Ball Hall of Fame the induction there there is your class of twenty twenty four. Right there, here's Ryan's on the honor.
Speaker 12: The most excited thing is what I love about the NFL is like it doesn't matter what happened last, Like you get to hit reset, and that's like to start back.
Speaker 2: From ground zero, ground zero.
Speaker 12: I love that, right, going back to our day one fundamentals installs and seeing guys truly grow and see how far we can get before the Hall of Fame game, right, see our young players get better, right and compete against each other. That's what I enjoy most. I still enjoy and it comes back to the Senior Ball. I still enjoy the growth and development of young players, right, That's what gets me going That's why I enjoy coaching, is to just have some type of imprint on those guys to help them to go and achieve whatever they want to achieve in their.
Speaker 4: Careers, from the Senior Ball to the other All Star game that will broadcast here on NFL Network. The one hundredth East West Shrine Boy saw Steve Smith, he was inducted in the Shrineball Hall of Fame a couple of months ago. Will be played at at and T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, seven pm Thursday, January thirtieth. Like I said, here on NFL Networks, you get to see an advanced look at some of the names we will hear in the twenty twenty five draft. There at the East West Shrineball, we talked Ceede Lamb and a bunch of other wide receivers to start the show.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk Lamb again.
Speaker 4: We want to hear from Jane Slater, who covers those cowboys closely, as well as Mark Ross. They will join us after this break to get there.
Speaker 2: Cuts at this.
Speaker 4: Ceedee Lamb storyline, whether he'll get a contraction back to Throlly let's him from the safety spot at Truscott of State Stack runs to his rfe throws on.
Speaker 2: The road in the middle of fil.
Speaker 4: Lamb at the fifty.
Speaker 7: You want to get anywhere near Lamb?
Speaker 4: Truly, if we wanted to shed lam ninety blue yours, we ustot put the Dallas touchdown.
Speaker 1: The big plays were Ceedee Lamb in a monster twenty twenty three season. Be it one that did not quite end the way that he or the Cowboys would have wanted. Welcome back to the Insiders, Tom Pellisero, Mike Grifolo, joined again by Jane Slater and Mark Ross.
Speaker 2: Jane, you are down there in Dallas.
Speaker 1: This is one of the off season storylines that keeps on giving.
Speaker 2: Give me the latest right now?
Speaker 1: Where do we stand with the Cowboys, CD Lamb and what is fair to call a contract standoff?
Speaker 11: Well, probably my favorite text this week when I reached out to see if there was any updates, was I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm on another island.
Speaker 4: Without giving a.
Speaker 11: Source away, bottom line is things are very very quiet, very very quiet up at the Star right now. But as for this CD deal, look, we've seen this before. I saw that my colleague Calvin Watkins put out that he is expected to be a holdout at camp if he doesn't get a contract, well, Zeke did that, Zach Martin did it, and they both got deals. I anticipate that this thing will likely get done. But this is the final gear of CD's rookie deal, one that slid make roughly four point five million last year after factoring his pro rated signing bonus, his base salary, and his guarantee. Now in this final year of his contract, he's slated to make eighteen million. Now, if the Cowboys fail to reach a deal, remember CD will ultimately play on the eighteen million. They could in theory use the franchise tag in twenty twenty five. But Lamb and the Cowboys would like to get a deal done. Now, in Lamb's mind, he'd like to get one somewhere in the vicinity of Justin Jefferson four years, one hundred and forty million and nearly eighty nine million at signing, and I think that's going to be a little rich for Dallas. So here we are, and in his absence, what this is going to do is it's going to give Dak Prescott an opportunity to work out with some of those other wide receivers. Jalen Tolbert This was a twenty twenty two third round pick. In fact, Mike McCarthy that year gave Dak a list if here's some of the wide receivers we're looking at heading into the draft, and it was Dak who put his stamp on Jalen Tolbert. And they've had really good chemistry this offseason. You've got Cavante Turpin, a speedy, little inside guy that you'll get some work with at camp. Want to keep an eye on Deuce Vaughn. He was getting slot work. He's a running back for the team that they picked up last year. They're working him in there. A little bit of a Cole Beasley starter kid. That's the film that he's been looking at. But look, bottom line is, I think this thing is going to work itself out. These things tend to do that in Dallas. Sevie Lamb such an integral part of this offense. Really had a monster year and I think that he certainly did enough to earn this. So let's see how this thing shakes out. But guys, we're going to be talking about this all through itc the weeks leading up to it. It's the story that won't go away. But for people wondering why Ceedee wants to get paid. I mean, all you have to do is go to overthecap dot com. He hasn't exactly been making a ton of money. These rookies don't, and now he feels like he's put the work in to deserve the money that guys like just Jefferson er out there getting So we'll.
Speaker 2: See, well, James CD deserves to get paid.
Speaker 7: You know, he wants to get paid because he deserves it because he's top two, three, four, five wide receiver in the league. When I just look at him and study him just as his skills set, but also the importance he has to Dallas's offense. You mentioned all those other people, but look, this offense goes as Ceedee Lamb goes when he's taken out of the game. The last few years with Dallas, there's been nobody really to step up to help. Dak hasn't shown the ability to raise everyone's level. So when you're negotiations and you have leverage, CD looks around and says, yes, I'm one of the top five receivers in the league, but you people absolutely need me in this offense. And also the way he plays in the offense in the slot where since twenty twenty he's had the most touches from a slot receiver position, and then he led the league in yards after.
Speaker 2: Catch last year.
Speaker 7: So such an easy skill set for him that Dak could get him the ball at CD go make something happen. He's consistently does that for this offense, so he absolutely deserves the money. This is where the market is for him, Mike, this is where the market is for these big time receivers. And he looks around and says, yes, I'm just as good as Justin Jefferson and all these other guys that are getting paid. So hopefully, maybe for us we wanted to keep going, but hopefully for CD Dallas it gets done because they absolutely need him to survive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can go over to cap dot com to see what cde Lamb has earned in the past. Let's go to Mike de gariffalo dot com to see what's gonna happen. Actually, don't, it's a deadlink. I do own the url. I don't know what I'm gonna do with it. Haven't decided what I'm gonna put on that website just yet. We got to see how this little NFL network thing plays out first. But if I did have, I'll just give it to you here. How about that. I'll give it to you here and tell you here's what should happen. You're right, maybe it's gonna be a little rich for Dallas's blood to get up to that thirty five million dollars a year that Justin Jefferson got. So come in at around like thirty five. Look, I solved the Tyreek Hill one earlier in the show. I'm gonna solve this one right here, coming to like thirty three. Okay, see south of Justin Jefferson on the base value, But I didn't know incentives that gives them the chance to get up to thirty five. This way, you can announce it when somebody gives it to Ian or Tom. Right, you can announce it as the big number, and then somebody finds out later it's actually the smaller number on the base value.
Speaker 2: But that's all right.
Speaker 4: You already got your hits right away. I just solved the whole thing completely for everybody involved. There you go, Tom, go tweet it out in like twenty days.
Speaker 2: We were gonna.
Speaker 1: Talk about bleek cooker. We're gonna talk about blee cooker. Going on a podcast to talk about Michael Parsons doing too many podcasts. But you guys ran a four minute offense right there like the Packers in that playoff game. However, if you want a podcast about guys doing too many podcasts and others going on podcasts to talk about podcasts, to them, We've got a podcast for you.
Speaker 2: It's The Insiders podcast.
Speaker 1: Driven't listened to The Insiders on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcast from podcasts to Paris, That's where Paris Johnson Junior was recently, now backstats getting ready for a big season in Arizona. Is the big man of the mind, the Kylin Murray can have a big year year two in that offense. Fun to Paris about that and a lot more RNFS on The Insiders.
Speaker 4: We are back here on The Insiders, joined by Cardinals left tackle Paris Johnson Junior. Paris, what is up, my man? I appreciate you spending some time with us here on The Insiders on NFL Network. I was texting back and forth with your head coach Jonathan Gannon earlier today. I said, give me something to ask your guy. I want your question I'm going to hit him right off the bat, and he said, check to see what he's doing to become to take that next step to become an elite left tackle. I am pretty sure that is your head coach's way of checking in on you to make sure you're getting in some work between minicamp and training camp.
Speaker 9: Yeah. So so right now, you know, I just got back from a trip. I just got back from a trip. Went went to Europe with with with my younger sister. That was a good experience. But obviously I was there. I know that, you know I'm there. I'm there on that trip because you know, I'm still playing football. So obviously being able to spend all my mornings, be able to while I was in Paris and Italy, to be able to train, be able to find a weight room, to be able to find fields, that was the most important thing. And then you know, I just got back this Saturday. First thing I did was was go to the weight room again, hit the field, because again the main thing, the main thing.
Speaker 1: Take that Jonathan Gannon, you don't need to check take it Paris Johnson. He's taking care of business over here, all right. So Year two with Jonathan Gannon. Year two in this offensive system, give me an idea of what your expectations are and how this offseason headed into training camp might feel different than a year ago.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think I think just personally, just year two, just being able to fulfill all the expectations that I have for myself, the expectations that the team has for me being here. You know, my goal ultimately to goal is to be the best tackle in the game. And then obviously playing with the guys we have on this team, you know, being able to have Marv as a weapon, I think is just explosive. I just love the guys we have on our offense, and I expect this offense to be one of the top of the country.
Speaker 4: You know, you talk about Marvin Harrison, your buddy from Ohio State, being added to this offense. Give us the scouting report what you saw in the spring, because when you talk about pro ready wide receivers, any position, pro ready football players coming into the league, this is about as good as it gets, right.
Speaker 9: It is it is, and honestly, he's been that way since college. That's one of the things I always told everybody about, I mean, even before we picked him, is that he's been a professional since his freshman year. So have him here. He's already in a routine, he's already in a low and just talking to a lot of the defensive back stay love going against him. Whether it's a high day or it's a lower day, a walkthrough day, just the place that he sets for himself as exception. So I'm super excited to have him on the field. You know, it just it makes even more fun to hold your block because you're ready to know what kind of guys you have out there on the edge.
Speaker 1: Apparent, as you said, he was a professional since back as a freshman at Ohio State. I got to imagine when you're the established guys on that team and here comes a guy with a famous name, and you've got this idea that maybe this dude's going to be a prima donna. He's going to be too big for it and he's going to be entitled. What was your welcome to what Marvin Harrison Junior moment? Like, what was that moment for you back with the buck guys?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think, honestly, just I think just day one, you know, I didn't really know who he was. You know, he didn't talk about his dad at all in his back ground. Obviously, you know, I wasn't really personally familiar with how much of niece's dad was. Other guys in the team I talk about his dad is this and that. I wasn't familiar. I met his dad, Man is an awesome guy. But I learned all that later. So for Marvin, I just saw Marvin as you know himself, you know, not necessarily what his dad was, but just him for who he was. But again, he jumps off the screen. As a freshman, I remember, I mean, I guess my sophomore year, we used to talk an offensive line room. We used to talk about the skilled players to watch him in practice, and we used to not necessarily place best because we're not having that much money in college, but just for fun to be like, who's going to be at the end of the day when they finished their career the best receiver you know in the room while you know you have I was there arguably some of the best Ohio State receivers to come through in the past couple of years. And then you know, with Marvin, it it came to no surprise that it was going to be him. Plays he made and doesn't really try to talk about it. He just smiles and just he lines back up.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: What has he done for Kyler? Uh?
Speaker 4: And Kyler's demeanor this spring. I mean Kyler's demeanor this spring, not having to come back from ACL has to be huge as well. You're adding weapons, You're starting to build this thing up. Give me the Kyler barometer right now?
Speaker 2: Where does it stand? Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean he's in full swing. He's in full swing, obviously, like the the Piper. The leadership that that he that he's brought this offseason has been incredible, And obviously I know he's excited to have Marvin and he's been spending a lot of time with the guys. He's been spending a lot of time on the field, So I'm super excited to have him full go.
Speaker 2: Paris.
Speaker 1: You're you're doing some non football, non training things right now too. Besides going to Europe, you're also partnering with the Pat Tillman Foundation and Coca Cola for the second annual Summer Water Drive to benefit residents of you mom New Days Centers. Tell me how you got involved in this and and what it means to you.
Speaker 9: Yes, So, when I first got out to Arizona. Something that I wanted to do was I want to be able to get back to the community, you know, so being able to serve the families and the kids in the community, and I wanted to help in something that's a small way, but I feel like it's something that's gone far in the community, not only just with the water, but being able just to have some conversations and spend time families there is always amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, listen, I've known you since your college days. Charitable work is a big part. It's always been a big part of what you do with the Paris Johnson Junior Foundation. In fact, your agent, Adam Heller, said, here's his calendar throughout the year.
Speaker 2: You've got the water drive in June.
Speaker 4: In November, you've got to feed the needy. You've got a holiday toy drive that you do December, might cause my cleats in conjunction with the Tilman Foundation February, and a Buckeye cruise to help offset the cost of football equipment for folks. You've got annual fundraising that you did back in March. You know, I know that football you talked about that being the main thing, but how much of this is important to you and what you want to do throughout your career as far as helping out the community.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I feel like the platform that I have to play in the NFL, I feel like I feel ultimately it's a gift that comes from God. So so ultimately I want to be able to use a platform that I create by being able to make plays on Sundays to be able to use the time I have to be able to give back to the community an off season. So obviously during the season during those events, that's that's the team of people within my foundation that are going to be able to be able to help put those events on. As you know, again, I'm keeping the main thing, the main thing on the field because that's what few the activities in the off seasons to be able to give back any activities that are going on during the season. So I'm thankful to have a team of people that when I'm not available to be there physically myself, are able to keep these events going and help the community out.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, man. Good for you.
Speaker 4: I know it's something you've always done and will continue to do. Just remember and training camp starts. You are on the right side your rookie year. Now we're heading out to the left side. I know we talked about it, so make sure that's a smooth adjustment.
Speaker 9: Okay, always always.
Speaker 2: Let's stay in the NFC after this.
Speaker 1: The Giants have made moves like they expect to compete, But are they built to be a playoff team in twenty twenty four. We'll discuss it and talk to one of those new editions. Brian Burns.
Speaker 2: Next on the Insiders.
Speaker 1: Brian Burns certainly has been consistent through his young NFL career, one of just three players who's had at least seven and a half sacks each year since twenty nineteen. This offseason, Burns goes from the Panthers to the Giants, and this week he's gone off to the Sacks Summit in Vegas, where Burns caught up with Baldy.
Speaker 10: S Far Burns, right here, man, he ain't the newest New York Giant.
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 2: What are you here for?
Speaker 13: Right? Like?
Speaker 10: I mean, you just got paid, you had success in this league. But what do you want to learn out here at the Sack Summer?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 13: I'm just trying to pick you know, the older guys, brands. You know, I never really got to sit down and talk to Vaughn.
Speaker 9: You know, I talked to.
Speaker 13: Cam, I talked to Mex Those are guys I usually talk to.
Speaker 9: But now getting to sit around Vonn and jet On and.
Speaker 13: You know, and also forting to the younger guys that's coming into the league.
Speaker 10: The thing that I always learned from Vaughn, but I think it's important for young guys, even like you right now, is understanding the moment of the game, when the game is in the bounds, when can I take the game over. I've been working my guys for working them all games. Now it's third down. We gotta get off the field. They need me. I gotta show up. I got to make that play.
Speaker 9: Like.
Speaker 10: That's the feel that Vaughn loves to try to teach to the younger guys.
Speaker 13: Now he definitely has that. He's one of the most clutchest players, you know, even even dating back to when they head Carolina in the Super Bowl. Yeah, that was tough, but he knows he knows when the pick his time to really win and pull out his best stuff.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you're dropping pipe rockets.
Speaker 2: You're talking, man.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Insiders for a front office. Tom Pelis Cheryl Mike, You're follow joined once again now by Mark Ross. No headbands or sunglasses in this segment. Mark, But let's get into those Giants, because they've made moves this offseason like they think they can be in it in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: In your mind?
Speaker 1: Is this Giants team built like a playoff team right now?
Speaker 7: A lot of moves but looking more like let's let's say we can be competitive. It's a lot of question marks still despite all the moves, And the biggest question mark is that quarterback with Daniel Jones and is he the guy? Canny stay healthy, can he perform? Or is Drew Locke lurking and going to be the replacement? You know, of course they're going to give Daniels the entire rope, as much rope as possible to be the guy. But if Drew lock clearly is better, he'll they'll have to play him the best version of Daniel Jones. Sakuon Barkley was there and saw Barkley was working magic. He's not there anymore, so where will they go? Malik Neighbors, of course highly heralded. I love the guy, but is he really the only threat on offense? Still a lot of question marks on the offensive line, despite a lot of high investment draft picks in the signing of the free agents. So the best case scenario is Brian Burns, Thibodeau and Dexter Lawrence to just go out there and wreck everything, wreck games like the glory days of the Jpps and Lynn Balls.
Speaker 2: And Stray and OC's and tucks.
Speaker 7: That's the best case scenario on defense and kind of carry the team while they work themselves through. But again, some question marks in the in the second area and linebacker as well. So Mike, we've seen it, Ton, We've seen it. Those three guys up front, go destroy everything and things will be good in the metal lands.
Speaker 2: All care to jump? I agree?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well they don't follow because I think I want to make sure you talk there now.
Speaker 2: Even shorter on Time Hard Knocks.
Speaker 1: We're all going to get a chance to see it and weigh in once that kicks off.
Speaker 2: It is off season with the New York Giants. It debutsed Borrow Night.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mike, what are you most excited to see on this show?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm ready for this one. Tom.
Speaker 4: I am excited to see the conversation between Joe Shane and Saquon Barkley, he's got the phone. I meant to go watch the trailer again because I just remember it. It's a quick cutaway and he's talking directly to Saquon Barkley and says something like, are you gonna give us the chance to match it?
Speaker 2: Or something like that.
Speaker 4: So you know that there is a conversation that they have on tape, and it appears that it's on speakerphone with general manager Joe Shane. So let's see how much of that was captured. And let's see how Barkley came to the decision to leave the Giants to head to the Eagles, if it was more of a fresh start thing or if it was more of a financial thing.
Speaker 2: We can get a little bit more of the insight on camera.
Speaker 4: That's the point of this Hard Knocks, behind the scenes stuff.
Speaker 2: We got to see more of that.
Speaker 4: Looks like we get a little bit of that in this one.
Speaker 2: Any else, My guys want to check you good? We got everything out. That's it. Not we gotta go, okay, I'm not after.
Speaker 1: This pretty good month for Christian McCaffrey, the Madden cover married a supermodel. I went to a ten year old birthday party. So I inside out too, so pretty much the same thing. What lines ahead for Cemac both on and off the field. We'll discuss it next on The Insiders. Patrick Mahomes logo officially replacing that slice of tape that he used put on his helmet back in the Texas Tech days. It's now there on the field. Yes, it's that thing that's.
Speaker 2: On the right sea. It's a P and an M and they're kind of combined.
Speaker 1: But that's now on the field at his alma mater, Texas Tech. Meanwhile, congratulations to Christian McCaffrey and Olivia Coppo. The happy couple married on Saturday in watch Hill, Rhode Island. I'm just gonna go ahead and read this excerpt from Vogue since Jeff Coletter producers kay Of descended to me. They marry at the one hundred and fifty year old Watch Hill Chapel. Olivia wore a Doulce and Gabona longsleeve crew neck crape ball gown.
Speaker 4: With a voluminous skirt and button line back quote.
Speaker 1: I didn't want it to exude sex in any way, shape or form, she says of the dress, which she wore with a sixteen foot lace veil and fifteen carrot to Beer's diamond ear rings.
Speaker 2: Mark, I'll come to you, Mike. Mike actually looks very upset here. Mike.
Speaker 4: You got you want to want to chime in here, you got advice you just.
Speaker 2: You look at that. It's like they took the cake topper, right.
Speaker 4: They may they're real life cake toppers.
Speaker 2: The two of them.
Speaker 4: It's that's unbelievable, how beautiful those two people are. But I would yes, I've got some advice for them. It looked like a lot of prep went into this wedding here. I'm sure there's a wedding planner or two that was involved. My wife actually had this advice for me before we got married. This is not the finish line. People treat the wedding like the fish.
Speaker 2: This is at the end zone, Christian.
Speaker 4: This is not the crowning moment, Olivia.
Speaker 2: This is the beginning of many things.
Speaker 4: The more the challenges to come in your marriage, so be prepared for that.
Speaker 2: The other thing is, you're beautiful people.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you want to have beautiful children as soon as possible. Just take your time on that part.
Speaker 2: Okay, enjoy married.
Speaker 9: Life today, Mark, Tom not a scripture on Christian suit.
Speaker 7: I want to know what kind of cut, what that was that? No, nothing on there anyway. So those are high drangers by the way, in the background. And my wife actually been married nineteen years. She had high drangers at our wedding. So I know that's the only flower I know, know a sunflower. But Christian, you're not the boss.
Speaker 1: Check her.
Speaker 7: You go at the door and let it go, buddy, that's the best.
Speaker 1: I just searched the story for tuxedo and all I found was their dog all over wore a custom doggie tuxedo.
Speaker 2: Rich people stuff, See you tomorrow.