Speaker 1: Episode three eighty five, What to budget for this Spring.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and live your life. Here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill, and today we are talking about spring.
Speaker 3: Spring has sprung.
Speaker 1: As Robin Williams once said, or according to the Internet says that he said, spring is nature's way of saying, let's party.
Speaker 3: Ah. Yeah, I don't care who said it, I have it.
Speaker 1: I agree with it. So today we are talking about things to budget for the spring, but also I think we're gonna mainly focus on some of the springtime spending traps that we can fall in too. So these things that you are about to see a lot of in marketing, advertising, social media, how do you know when it's time to spend money on it and when it's a really good time to avoid it and just be conscious of springtime marketing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good to plan ahead, know what some of the associated costs of the season are going to be, and start setting money aside now. But it's also important to know what are some alternatives to this cost are there ways that I can meet this need, do this maintenance and not spend a lot of money. So we want to go through all that.
Speaker 1: Yes, but first, this episode is brought to you by Employee Appreciation Day. Today is Employee Appreciation Day and as an es Corp, the IRS requires us to be employees of our business. So today we'd like to show appreciation to us. Hey, to Jill and Jen, to me and you. We are hands down the second and third best employees of this company for sure. We'd also like to thank Goldie for being our number one employee and for our new friend letter writers Kim and Misty, thank you so much. If you haven't checked out their work yet, you really should be getting the friend letter. We're just incorporating. It's frugal friends, right, It's not frugal Jen and Jill, that would be boring. It's frugal friends. And so we are getting more friends on board to give you savings tips, freebies, spending insights, just like what you're going to hear today. And if you're already on the front letter, then you got our budget toolkit for March and that went out the last Friday of February. So if you want to get an exclusive, exhaustive, expansive guide on what to budget for every month and a big money move that you can do every month to really maintain your finances and grow them. We send that out on the last Friday of every month for the month going forward. So seriously, Frugal friendspodcast dot com get the friend letter. There is so much good stuff in there.
Speaker 3: Yes, Kim and Miss Day shout out, shout out to Goalie. We're growing, Our team is growing. Are small but mighty, so mighty with our hot pink microphones.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, all right, so let's talk about budgeting and Spring. We have done We've done several of these episodes. We love to update them every year. So episode three sixty seven Best Budgeting Tips for twenty twenty four. That is our that's our vibe going into all of twenty twenty four. So that is going to be some if you are new to budgeting or revisiting budgeting for the first time in a while, definitely check out that episode. And then to ninety four is Frugal Living Tips for Spring, So we're that episode is all about waste spring can save you money and what to buy today. We're talking a little bit about what not to buy, and then touching on some of the things that you might be able to stock up on.
Speaker 3: It's a classic bait and.
Speaker 1: Switch, am I right?
Speaker 3: So love to do what they want, give them what they need. We're not. We're here for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean will we'll we'll talk about what to budget for the spring. That may not be as common too.
Speaker 3: So this first article comes from Wise Bread, Love That Love, Wisdom, Love Bread. They're talking about how to avoid seven common spring spending traps, so the ways in which we can kind of go nuts when spring comes. I was reading a few other articles that we're not going to mention here but in preparation for this, and they were describing how for the majority of people, spending does spike in the spring and summer and the holidays. So certainly you've got the holidays, but then winter comes and there's this lull, mostly because a lot of the country is just cold and no one's doing very much. So then spring comes and it feels like it's a party. It feels like we're ready to party now, and I want to get outside. I want to do all the things that I wasn't able to do before, and that can lead us to spending money that maybe we weren't planning on. So the first one here is spring cleaning mania that that fever strikes. And not that I mean cleaning isn't the most luxurious, glamorous thing ever, but a lot of us do still want to freshen the home. We want to open the windows. And as we're doing that, it's like if you give a mouse a cookie and you start to see this needs to be clean, and this needs to be washed, and I want the place to feel fresh, just like my environment is beginning to feel fresh. And that can often lead us to wanting to upgrade things or just wanting to buy the latest and greatest cleaning products and what's the new stuff on the shelves, And marketers are aware of this, and they're going to want to convince you that what you have in your closets is not going to cut it. And you need the electric rotating spin brush, and you need the cleaning product that's new and will solve all of your problems. And you need the new vacuum, and you need new furniture and new rugs and you name it. And we're here to say, now you don't, no, you don't you can clean, absolutely, but you can clean in the same ways that you've been cleaning all the previous months, with the stuff that you already have. So yes, spring cleaning can bring on some decluttering. We would absolutely encourage that sell donate some items, but that doesn't mean then that you have to bring new items into your home. And if you do, if you are identifying, oh this does actually need to be replaced, I can't fit it. You name it, then buy it used, go or try out your buy nothing groups. And then just as far as cleaning supplies, go, use up what you already have. I can almost guarantee you you have cleaning products under your sink, in your pantries. They may not be like super shiny and all full to the brim, and you might just want to try something new, but use up what you have. Look up DIY cleaning solutions. Usually you need very few ingredients to actually do the job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say if you are going to spring clean. The thing you'll see a lot on social media is organization goes wild in March, right, So we're looking at container Store, Target, Walmart, all of these beautiful clear and wicker and retain and whatever. All these beautiful things that you can get to organize your home. And I would say you can get those, but use them sparingly. Your home doesn't have to be esthetically perfect, right. I was Actually I forget who it was, but there was this the trend on Instagram where it's like, I'm a so and so, of course I do this. Oh it was Clutterbug. She is a decluttering author, has a podcast on it, and she's like, I'm a home organization influencer. Of course I'm going to tell you to organize your pantry with all these beautiful things. And then she opens up her fridge and she's like, well, my fridge is a mess. So like she was poking fun at all the things she does and sells. She's like a container store partner. And her home was not aesthetically perfect, that's what she was showing everyone, and so yours doesn't have to be either. So if you want to improve, there's no problem with improving, right, look on Facebook, marketplace, look around thrift stores and stuff and see what you can find, see what you can make happen, and just be okay with not being perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and two, make the list of what you need, start doing the work in your house before you go out. I think so often we've got this imagined, fantasized self and we first buy all the organizing items, and then we come home and we try and figure.
Speaker 1: Out for Christas.
Speaker 3: But instead start to do it already in your home organizing decluttering. You name it with the things you already have on hand, and then make a list of what's going to be helpful for me to complete this proper.
Speaker 1: Ject and do it in batches. Do not try to do your whole home or a whole room in one fell swoop. Do it in chunks. So there's your there's your spring cleaning apisode. Yeah, okay, live it, move on. So number two is do not Well. It says spend your tax refund, but it's essentially saying that that is the spending trap is to spend your tax refund fully on stuff that is not beneficial. That's going to be impulse buying. You know, when we get you know that unexpected money, it's girl math, I didn't have the money before, so anything I buy with it is essentially free, right wrong. You can really use your tax refund to do the things with your finances that you have been putting off or have felt troubled budgeting for so home improvements, vacations, any home improvement. That's where I'm at. Maybe replacing a car, stuff like that. Think of the things that you've you needed to do in twenty twenty never got around to, I e. Maybe a roth Ira. That's a big thing to budget for. Right now. You have until March or till April I think fourteen fifteenth, I can't remember which day. You have until April, mid April, mid April to open and contribute to a roth Ira for twenty twenty three. Definitely check out our roth Ira Challenge episode if you want more on that. But make this money work for you. It's money you didn't have before that you you did earn. This is your income that the government has held on too. It's not free money, so make it really work for you.
Speaker 3: Next number three is the spending trap of wanting to splurge on a new wardrobe. Speak to me, Yeah, so she's brain comes talking. It's a party. Also, the weather's changing and we want an update. This might be where we're starting to pull out out clothes we might have put away for the winter season, and we're realizing this feels dingy. I want something new for people who celebrate Easter or Mother's Day, or there's tons of baby showers and weddings beginning to happen. And so you think I need new clothes for this or just a refresh, and I'm telling you you don't got to you don't need to do that. Here's the alternative. Wear the clothes you already have, truly until they don't fit. I'm not advocating that if things don't fit you anymore, just make it work. But where the clothes that fit until they really are beginning to fall apart, and then mend them. That's a fun little hobby. If you want something new, you want to refresh and spring learn a new hobby, invest in yourself and your own skill set. Mend things, add the jewels. Do you heard it here? First, folks, and then betaulate the tazzl it. Get out your hot glue gun. No, don't do that. Then buy used or search your buy nothing group. Look at your local thrift stores consignment shops. I know, Jen, you love places like thread Up and Poshmarks, So you don't actually have to do the digging and sneeze your way through thrift stores. You can do it all from the comfort of your own home, and begin to educate yourself on quality. What are quality fabrics, What are the brands that are making quality clothing and not exploiting their workers. These types of things where we can when we purchase new items for our wardrobe, we know that they're going to last and that they will be what we can pull out spring after spring and not need to feel forced into a refresh. And from there again, start with your closet. Start with your own home. Don't start when you're out of your home and already out shopping trying to make guesses at what you need. Begin by going through what you already have in your closet, what you already have on hand, Try it all on, see what fits, see what you like, and then start to make a list of the items that you would like to add to your wardrobe, the items that you think this is if I had XYZ, this is what's going to last me for years to come. I want this type of fabric, I want this type of color, this type of style. Then you can feel informed and good about making those spending decisions. When you are then out of the house, you can reference back to that list and say, Okay, these are the things that I intentionally put on here because I know this is what my wardrobe is lacking. Don't start when you're out at the store.
Speaker 1: Yes, and use Benny to get secondhand anything you want from the first hand site. It's a chrome extension. You can get an app to Frugal friendspodcast dot com, slash b e n I it is. If you sneeze your way through thrift stores like I do, it will change the game for you. Also, I would like to shout out another option. So Amelia sent me this on Instagram, like weeks and weeks ago. I am I was shook if she listened to our Capsule Wardrobe episode where we talked about buying in your color like your color palette autumn, spring, summer. And she so she is an autumn like me, and she had all this black clothing that she loved fit her really well. She wanted it to be in her palette. And she sent me a video on Instagram of her results. After she had put her black clothing in like a bleach like bleach and water for ten minutes, took it out, watch it dried it and it was like in these beautiful shades of brown and burnt.
Speaker 3: Orange and I could shook it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she said she was gonna try with her white to do tea like a tea stain. And so that's another thing. Maybe your color, the colors of your wardrobe just aren't hitting it anymore for you. Try dying them. Try drying them in your color palette, bleach tea, Go buy some is it writ like the dye. You can buy it at the grocery store. Yeah, try just giving it a refrash life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if the fabric itself is good and the fit is good, and you just don't like the color, I love that pack. But I gotta tell you, I didn't know if I believed Amelia you showed me those pictures. I was like, there's no what looks it's too good, beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's too good. It's too beautiful. Yes, So thank you Amelia for sending that to me. It's still I'm still impressed by it. So yeah, the next, now that we're you know, just remember you don't you don't need a new wardrobe this spring. Okay, remember that when I say the next is spring break vacations. So I love a spring break vacation. And I totally think. So I'm going to push back a little bit on this. I totally think if you have kids in school, that you spend the extra take your kids on a spring break vacation. It's but just put compare the prices to a summer vacation to a spring break vacation, because usually I have found that the summers, like certain times in the summer, are actually less expensive than a spring break. But that's like where I'm at. I live where people vacation, so I have like more flexibility. But if it's different for you, I'm all for a spring break vacation. Now that's me talking to parents who have kids in school. That's not applicable to everyone. If you are not bound by time, this is cool. Cool. If you're found by time, you should You should definitely price check when you take your vacations. Travel in a less expensive time. But vacation sites are pushing ads hard right now to get you to take those last minute spring break getaways. But it's because there is a certain group of people who this is really the time that they can travel. So do not be fooled. Even if you do have kids in school, I find that there's a lot more price flexibility in the summer, don't be fooled by a spring and if you are taking spring break vacation, you don't need a new vacation wardrobe.
Speaker 3: But also shout out to some simple staycations you know that I think that they're underrated. Go in an hour or two away from where you live and exploring kind of a new area that's somewhat local to where you are. What are the what are the state parks, what are the activities and attractions and amusements in different places at maybe a bit more of an affordable price point, or just not as complicated, because sometimes a big vacation, especially during high touristy times, can just be overwhelming to try and pick what can we do and how crowded is it going to be? And then you're also spending a lot. There's also permission to just keep it simple and enjoy the time actually and exploring new spots that are within the radius of where you live.
Speaker 1: Yes, and if you are traveling our friend Lydia. Lydia said she has traveled I think to like over thirty probably like between twenty five and thirty states in the last two years with her kids, and they bring their air fryer with them everywhere, and they will get they'll just buy pre made meals at the grocery store that they can just pop into the air fryer, and so they are able to save tons of money and travel in their car. Then they know they'll stay in an airbnb or a hotel or something, and they are able to save so much money on food because they're not cooking. They are they're buying stuff from the grocery store, popping in the air fryer and then feeding everyone, and they can afford to travel so much more because of the amount. Like literally, she says, the amount we save on food each vacation pays for our hotel for the next vacation.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. Yeah, where we would say it's not worth it to spend on convenience items like that in your day to day when you're on vacation, that saves a lot of money. Buying the pre made grocery store food is still going to be far less than going out. I love that.
Speaker 1: So I would say, if you are traveling, take take a hint from Lydia.
Speaker 3: Number five on this list is buying a new car. And I would initially want to push back on this like that doesn't happen until we've recently learned that one of the biggest areas of impulse spending is on vehicles. It's not happening all the time, right, It's not the same thing.
Speaker 1: It mostly happens.
Speaker 3: But this is the time of year where a lot of dealerships are running their deals. They're trying to convince you that it's a better deal for you somehow to trade in your car now, and it's not. It's advantageous for them. It costs them far less to offer you a trade in price than for you to try and sell your car on your own or just keep your car. So the alternative to falling victim to this im massive and Paul's purchase is keep your car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do it. And it's not Toyota thon, I just checked Toyota. Than's in November and December. So it's not worth it. It's not worth it to get a new car. It's not Toyota.
Speaker 3: Sh Is your car still working? Is it decently reliable? Keep it?
Speaker 1: Yes? I so I would say, I use this barometer so right, for purchasing new cars, we use the rule three to five years old, and you know, I think we go with like twelve to fifteen thousand miles per year, that's kind of our barometer, and go to a dealership that doesn't charge superfluary, superfluary, superfluous superfluous fees just like random fees, just no random fees.
Speaker 3: So those are no no random fees.
Speaker 1: Those are our rules for saving money on a car purchase. And then for when is it time to give it up? I would say within like the eight to ten year range is a good time to.
Speaker 3: You having owned it or of the vehicle's life.
Speaker 1: The vehicles life being eight to ten now, there is no problem with driving a car until it just until it die. Hooks to be a one owner twenty years.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Love that for you, Yes, love that for you. It's not the life for most people. And we're looking at you if you're you're that person and you want to after you've had a car for two years and Toyota than comes up and you're like, oh wow, I mean this car has a lot more features than my car. And I'm in a better financial position because I've listened to frugal friends. No girl, keep her, keep her? Yeah, keeper?
Speaker 3: Is she reliable?
Speaker 1: Keeper? Is she a keeper.
Speaker 3: Yeah he does she fix your eggs in the morning, tipper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, keep your car if it cooks you eggs in the morning. That's that is a feature. But so yeah, that's again not a hard and fast rule. But if you're like, do I really need a new car? I really need a new car? You probably don't it's like eight to ten years old. Then you're going to get a higher resale value. But it's also per brand too, So we love to use car complaints dot Com and it'll really give you an accurate view of the kind of the the area those two years where you're going to kind of get the best resale Valueeah. Yeah. So the last one on this list that we're going to cover that is a spending may Oh you're gonna do Okay, sorry, you're gonna The one for me is going to be number six. Outdoor deals, so camping gear, backyard furniture, grills, fishing rods, sports equipment. This is this is when they all start pushing. This is their Q four and it's it's here for you. So instead of buying outdoor gear, outdoor gear is so like outdoor gear like kayaks and stuff, but also outdoor like clothes like when we're in the winter, the jackets and stuff. These are the These things are made of a better quality than pretty much anything you can find indoors. They have to be made durable. They're the last things on earth where people still value durability, which makes them very great to buy secondhand. But again, don't procrass to spend. Don't buy a kayak because you want to start kayaking. Spend the extra rent the kayak a few times. Make sure that it's something that you can maintain in this season, in your schedule, that it's in your skill set or could be in your skill set. Spend the money up front to test before for you invest.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's good, test before you invest. That's a good one. Say sticker, I'm gonna and I'm gonna call out the paddle borders on that one, because that's usually a paddle board decision I love. And then you get out there and you realize it's harder than it looks, and gosh, you're lowing that thing up every time. Now you need a roof rat.
Speaker 1: It's in the back of every Toyota camer A inflatable paddle board is probably in the trunk of every toyota camber, So don't let that be. And if it's not you, you have a friend who is that. I'm probably gonna make that meme. But yeah, test before you invest and by used when you do, because these are the things that you can really afford to be used because their durability.
Speaker 3: Okay, folks, the last and final spending trap gifts and not the free, not the GIFs that we love to send digitally, the actual gifts with the tea. We're talking easter basket, Mother's Day, graduation weddings. Before you come at me, mom's with your it's my one day a year, give me something. Here's the thing. You don't have to buy for all of these experiences. There are ways to celebrate, show value, enjoy the day that don't have to cost a ton of money. So make your own. I mean most moms are gonna love just like a homemade little some non here's the thing. As big baked goods cook the dinner.
Speaker 1: I don't want anything. I want my family to leave me alone for a day. And that is the best gift that you can give a mother. And if if you haven't asked for that yet, ask for it this year.
Speaker 3: It's a trend I'm seeing happen. All I want on Mother's Day is to not have to mom.
Speaker 1: Not I don't want mom today. Uh huh. I love I love your trend, and it's okay to ask for it early. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing too, graduation weddings. I am not saying make your own and give them baked goods. That's not okay. But if you're going to go to the celebration, then then that is what you have to plan ahead for. Who's graduating this year, who's getting married, Start to save now or opt out it. I think is better to not attend the wedding if it's going to be a huge financial strain on you, especially if it's going to require some travel, a hotel, rental, new clothing. Better to not go and send a kind card in the mail, maybe get something inexpensive off their registry, then to go and really jack up your finances as a result of trying to go. It's supposed to be joyous, celebratory. The generosity that you give should not be compulsory, and if it's feeling that way, better to say I can't be at this one.
Speaker 1: And if it's something you're excited, like to take a vac you know, the wedding's like a vacation. Save up to take a legit vacation where you don't have to bring a gift and sit in a service, you know, like just and go party elsewhere. So it'll be a lot less expensive than some of these some of these weddings where they're having them.
Speaker 3: Exactly all these destination weddings. Yeah, people acting like they got more money than they do our sager second article, we're a little unhinged today. So the second one, we're not going to spend a lot of time on it, but in order to kind of give you what we baited you in to be giving you what to budget for this spring, here's some of the top expenses that can come up this time of year that aren't necessarily seen throughout the rest of the seasons. So so these are things that either yes, plan for it, you know your situation, or begin considering an alternative of how you're going to respond to this potential spring need without spending money. So the first one on the list is increased lawn care that for many of us homeowners, spring is springing and stuff's popping out of the ground. And stuff still dead from last year, and there's just a lot to clean up. And so for some people that's going to mean increase lawn care. Whether you're paying somebody or you're going to buy the malt, you are refreshing, some lawn and garden tools, whatever it is. Plan for what you need, but also be mindful of the areas where you just don't need to spend. It's a nice but it's not a must have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I was going to spend a tax refund on something, it would be on a really good lawnmower, like a brand new, not top of the line, but a good lawnmower. It's going to make doing your own lawn a lot easier. When you have the right tools for the job, it makes it easier. It's not a fun job, but at least it's not going to be like taking you all day. And then for multch, a lot of places you can get free mult It may not be the exact color that you want, but I think the first week of April Low's has two dollars bags of mulch in brown, red, and black, So that might be something to check out as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or your city, keep in mind there's lots of stuff on buy nothing groups as far as lawn stuff goes, So of course you've got We've talked about this, so just glossing over it. Vacation camps, kids clothing, as much as we can continue to reuse our own clothing. Kids are growing, so that is something that needs to be bought. Of course, it can still be bought mindfully and used and of good quality. Camps if you're sending your kids, if that's like your extended Mother's Day gift to yourself, start saving now for these things.
Speaker 1: Weddings. Our friend Lisa is getting married at the end of the month. Shout out Lisa cong She was our guest on the Money Hacks episode where everyone listens to the found that finds money on the Found Money website. That's Lisa. So I am saving for a wedding gift for Lisa currently, but it is March is a big month, not as big as October or the summer, but definitely time to start thinking about that. Even if you're attending some weddings this summer.
Speaker 3: Outdoor activities, so whether you enjoy going to sporting events, amusement parks, you name it, this is definitely something to be keeping in mind. But I think too potentially that alternative to one big vacation could be a lot of smaller activities throughout the season. So maybe this year you're choosing you're not going to do a massive, expensive, one week family vacation, but instead weekly or bi weekly you get to go to a sporting event, then an amusement park, then to the movies, then to a other recreation center, you name it. I like that way of kind of spreading out the fun throughout the year, and it might be a little bit kinder for our wallets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of looking. You have to take inventory of how was winter break, how was summer last year? How was spring break last year? What did I love? What do I want to change? And that's where taking inventory immediately is very helpful. So if you are not a journaler, maybe starting to take some journaling. I got and I'm not trying to influence anybody into this, but in January I bought a five year journal where it has every page has about has five little sections with about three or four lines each, so that you can write a couple sentences about what happened to the day on the day for five years well, are you doing it? Yeah, I've been doing it every day, and so that might be something too. That's good to start, so that you can kind of look back on, like, all right, what did last summer look like? What did last spring break look like? And how would I like to do things differently this year? Did we feel like, you know, we did not do anything and we didn't spend any money. How do I want to spend money differently this year? Did I, at the end of the summer feel like we spent too much money? What are the things that we spent money on that really didn't serve us or that I don't remember six months later or a year later.
Speaker 3: And you don't have to spend on that. Journal If you keep some sort of calendar, just look back at your calend, nurse, if you haven't already started this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody gets a free calendar in the mail from some organization somebody sending Yeah, somebody sends everybody a free calendar, so use that.
Speaker 3: And the last one is vehicle maintenance. This could just be a good I mean, vehicle maintenance is always necessary, but it could be the time of year where you're starting to think about it. Keeping that in mind what kinds of tune ups are needed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially if you just went through a really harsh winter, you know, and all that snow and moisture. Carriage, it's time to clean the undercarriage, Jill.
Speaker 3: Don't I know it? You know what else it's time for?
Speaker 1: It doesn't have an undercarriage.
Speaker 3: It might it might vow the bill of the weed.
Speaker 4: That's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is William. Maybe you've paid off your mortgage. Maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. Be billslow bills, bill claim. This is the bill of the week.
Speaker 5: Hi, Jen and Jill. I just wanted to share my bill of the week. So at the beginning of twenty twenty three, I was paying two hundred and fifty dollars a month for my car insurance. In June, I started looking at different options and I found a new car insurance that brought down my bill two hundred a month. And then my dad ended up switching to that car insurance and it brought it down to one hundred and sixty a month. And then because of low mileage, I recently got my car insurance bill down to one hundred and fifty a month, So I'm saving one hundred dollars a month on car insurance.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. Yes, well son, we love it when we can find different hacks and strategies to cut costs, especially on some of these higher regular bills or at least annual or biannual bills that we have. So that is very exciting. Well done.
Speaker 1: Yes, And if.
Speaker 3: You all listening, have a bill about saving money on your bills, bills you don't mind spending on bills, you don't have to pay anymore bills. Who are your friend bills? Who are your son's bills? Who are your fathers? You are a bill wow for all Friends podcast dot com slash bill. Leave us your bill. We're ready for it. And now it's time for the lightning around.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: What are you budgeting for this spring? Jill? What are you personally hey for?
Speaker 3: Hey? Oh, an anniversary trip. I've been budgeting for that though. That's something I keep a sinking fund for travel that I add to as i'm able. Ideally, I'm putting money into it monthly until it reaches a certain amount. I have a goal amount for that sinking fund, and once it's there, then I can put my savings towards other little goals, so it actually is fully funded. Now I just have to plan the trip and do it. Yay. Yeah, nice, we'll see maybe April.
Speaker 1: And by anniversary, you mean the anniversary of my birth.
Speaker 3: That's what you know. No, that's a birthday. This is an anniversary, but they are very close together. Yeah, we've almost been married as long as you've been born, So that's not what I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean your anniversary is on the May twelfth, right, and my birthdays May night. Yeah, that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's amazing, good things happen days apart.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about you and Chen? All right? So we are budgeting for extra roth Aray contributions so we have the money for our renovations. We have had saved. It's just been one of those things, is like trying not to spend it until because it's already allocated somewhere. So that is our Yeah, that's where we're at right now. Once that money is spent and the renovation is done, then we want to put the rest into our wrath Ara for twenty twenty three. But I would potentially like to get back to well, we need to get back to monthly roth Ara contributions. I just have to set it up so that is what we will be budgeting for us to get back into that. Yeah Spring, Yeah, perfect.
Speaker 3: It's not totally Spring specific now, but it's this season of our particular lives and what we're budgeting for. Correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't I'm not going to like really do any like outdoorsy things. I am like currently building a new wardrobe with a new body, but I'm kind of just doing that as the things come along, So nothing special except for that Roperry.
Speaker 3: Yeah cool. I'm excited to see your renovation when it's done.
Speaker 1: Gosh, we're in the middle of it.
Speaker 3: Thanks everyone for listening. We we love having you here. Yeah, and we love reading your kind reviews like this one from Hailey b Dubs says love frugal friends. This show inspires me to be my best frugal self. Jenn and Jill are hilarious and have great banter. Definitely recommend. Yes, sure, sweet, I love that one.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, if you wanted to do a review that says how unhinge we'ved become but in a good way also would accept that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jen and I are recording a lot more in person, and we're sitting in comfy chairs holding our mics like they're not on mic stands anymore. So it's become very very laid back and I think it's coming through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need seven more reviews to hit nine hundred reviews on Apple, so if you haven't, then please be one of the seven.
Speaker 3: We also need one hundred and seven to reach a thousand, which would be awesome taken in baby Stone. Okay, be one of the seven.
Speaker 1: We will be one of the hundred. Yeah, we are going to celebrate when we hit a thousand in some way. But thank you, thank you for your kind reviews. And uh men, please take a second to help, in all seriousness, help people understand what they're going to be getting from the show, because some people think that we talk about couponning, And actually somebody reached out to us to come on their show to talk about couponning, and we had to tell them like, does I really want.
Speaker 3: To talk about here?
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's a common misconception.
Speaker 3: We're redefining frugality, so we're here for the people who want that. Yes, Okay, see that time.
Speaker 1: Gorugle Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni. So, Jill, we don't always do cube ponds, Yeah, but we will do the dollar sale at.
Speaker 3: The label swap Heck, yeah we.
Speaker 1: Will so and that was so fun. We went with two other friends and it was quite overwhelming for me. I do not like to hunt. I have allergies. But I loved going with you guys. And I was really excited before until I got in there and I remembered who I am, and I was like, dang it, I wish I was different, but you and our friend Whitney made out like bandit.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was my dream come true. So it was a drift store in Tampa that was having a dollar sale on select items. It was a decent amount that they had for sale for a dollar, so stuff in bins, stuff on racks, and then they had just regular racks that were kind of their regular pricing, but still with stickers that had various percentages off of the stickered price.
Speaker 1: So you know, you.
Speaker 3: Begin by digging through the bins, rifling through the racks. It was a lot like Black Friday in the early two thousands, which I am here for. I get a little bit disappointed. So, I mean, I don't really participate in Black Friday anymore, but I remember there were years years ago where I really want it. I wanted to be like charging through the doors and like seeing people elbow just to get to their things. Yeah, I don't know, I'm a little I can be a little bit like unhinged and instigatory. That's not the way.
Speaker 1: I like that planning part of Black Friday, but not the actual elbowing. And I would remember I would get oh my gosh, Thanksgiving was so exciting for me, not for food, but for planning our Black Friday rat and then I would get there and I would just be like very overwhelmed, so like we should have gotten together way earlier.
Speaker 3: So it was all of the unhinged vibes that I wanted. People were staking their claim just I mean rifling here in a ferocious way, and it was exhilarating. And I did find a decent amount of stuff for both me and Eric for a dollar. And then I did buy two things off of the not dollar rack, but they were fifty percent off and it worth it. It was things that I did have on my list for months now. I did need new genes and I found them for eight dollars and fifty cents.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. I'm going to go back there, yeah, when they're not having a major sale like that, because it's a resale store, so it was really good quality stuff like Levis in there for a dollar. Yeah, it was just needed to. I do better when things are separated by size, sorted by color, and they do that.
Speaker 3: But it was just.
Speaker 1: Chaos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was chaos. I brought I still brought my colors with me, and even in the midst of chaos, I pulled out my swatches to make sure that even the thing I'm picking up for a dollar is going to be something that I'm gonna want and is gonna look good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you thrive in chaos, and.
Speaker 3: Which is funny because if you look at my home, it is not. It does not come across.
Speaker 1: Chaoss, not at all.
Speaker 3: I love both. I love clean, simple, non chaos, and I also love me a little.
Speaker 1: Bit of Well that's why you have so many guests over in your house all the time. And it is true chaos, like all not all the time. But yeah, I loved planning that outing for us. We did rain.
Speaker 3: It was you wanted to get out of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: And then we all needed to take a cleratin, and.
Speaker 1: You laughed at me when I pulled out the cleratin, and then you were like, actually I need one.
Speaker 3: We were all sneezing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mom, Mom had the cleratin. It was fine.