Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Welcome back all the smoke, Las Vegas run Jack. Has been a great day. We get to finish off with.
Speaker 3: A gold champion episode.
Speaker 2: This is gold Championship, saying it in just a short time the accolades, I mean only six years in the game, but two time MVP, two time champ, two time defensive Player of the Year in C double A champ. I mean women basketball. I mean, it doesn't get any bigger than the woman sitting next to us. I'm trying to tell you, and I'm trying to tell you you already told me. Welcome to the show, Asia Wilson, Welcome. We've been trying to lock in with you for a minute. We got your teammate, Kelsey Plumb, who was a she's so dope, a huge advocate for you. Dark she was, she was, she was all yeah, she was ready to fight some motherfuckers for you, so dope. She was down your motivation. Once said that you you imagine young black girls watching you play. What type of person do you hope to be and how do you hope to motivate this next generation that watches you coming behind you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, thank you so much, for having me. I'm excited that we finally got to lock in. But no, when I come to thinking about where do I want my legacy to be, it has to be Okay, yeah, she was good at putting that basketball on the hoop, but she was an even better person, Like I want to be able to plant those seeds for the next generation to be that that tangible role model.
Speaker 5: I always like to say that because a lot of us have role models.
Speaker 4: A lot of us have people that were like, oh my god, yes, love their game, love who they are, but it's very rare that we can come in contact with them. And I want to be sure that I'm in the spaces yeah, like I'm in those rooms for them to be like, oh no, I want to be Asia Wilson, but I want to be better than her. I want to be in those sitting at those tables that we don't really get invited to. And that's what I love, and that's what I really kind of move my game of just saying, Okay, it might be one of those games where I'm exhausted, but it's this young young black girl that's out there that wants to see me, wants to be out.
Speaker 5: There and I got to show up for her, So yeah, just being there.
Speaker 2: Quick question. It's not even on the list, But where did the shorts tuck in come come from? Where'd that come in? Because you got the short tuck in, I'm just like.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I feel like I'm Nike's worth nightmare because I'm always tearing up their uniforms. But no, I wanted to tuck my shorts because I hated shorts touching my knees. I felt like I couldn't run in it. I couldn't do it, so I just always tuck it. And at this point people sometimes think it's a play call. I do it so much. I think it's just like an antic that I just do. But yeah, that's kind of what it is, and it's kind of cute, you know.
Speaker 6: So I'm glad you said that. I thought that was the reason for doing it.
Speaker 2: I got to be these days inating anything you said it. God damn right. Listening to you speak following you, you're a very humble person, but right now I want you to kind of talk to your shit. Do you feel like there's anyone in this game that's on your level right now? Because I personally, I mean there may be a few people close, but I feel like you're kind of in a class of your own right.
Speaker 7: Now, and sometimes you have to break your arm and patch yourself on the back.
Speaker 3: It ain't this and nobody else. It's just you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You put the work in facts. This year one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: I felt like I was I was in a groove that was like untouchable.
Speaker 5: It was something that I've never like.
Speaker 4: I was so glad I was finally in it because I was like waiting on my moment, you know, like you just wait on that.
Speaker 5: Field, like nah, I'm here.
Speaker 4: And I felt like I had that like her moment, like nah, this is me, this is what I'm here to do, and no one can stop me. And it's just so funny because I have that great year and then at the end, it's like that one fourth place MB peak boat and I know I keep bringing it up, but that one boat was the vote that I'm like, oh bet, I still have more to give, Like I could still come back and play this game that I love and just tear.
Speaker 2: Thisssle really dominant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Cause it's like the minute I felt like, Okay, yeah, I'm in a safe space is good we playing, we winning, I'm feeling like I'm good and it was like boom, fourth place and I was like, oh, it's people out here that think I ain't good. So then it's like, gave me that chip on my shoulder now, And I think that's the exciting part.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I do kind of feel like I'm on level go.
Speaker 2: I got a chance to play with stuff. Yeah, play against Steph Curry, but play with him, and he in our game is a selfless superstar with no ego. A lot of people say you're a similar for your sport, a superstar, no ego. It's all about the team, it's all about winning. Where does that come from?
Speaker 5: Ooh? My parents.
Speaker 4: My parents are kind of one of those those two people that are like, you know, everybody eats, it's not good. I mean, the top gets lonely because you're up there pretty much by yourself, but you can always bring up others with you. And I think that's kind of how they are. And I knew when we were coming here, when they drafted me in Vegas, I was like, it's gonna take a lot of sacrifice, it's gonna take a lot of adversity. But where do we want to go, what's the culture we want to build here? And that was just coming with the sacrifice and putting everybody in front of me in that a case where all right, everybody eats, and that's when I feel the most joy. Like it's cool when you get a couple of like MVP, it's cool. But when you get them rings and it's like, no, we all did this, I feel like that's the real big moment where I'm like, nah, we were really good at this.
Speaker 7: Best memories of the twenty twenty three Championship. Y'all have a little seven Warriors team and y'all, y'all get turned up.
Speaker 2: Y'all was cracking, drinking cigars.
Speaker 3: Who party the hardest?
Speaker 2: May have been some other ship we didn't know about, but we went to.
Speaker 6: Man, I'm taking bets.
Speaker 3: I know who party the hardest?
Speaker 5: Who you think of the hardest?
Speaker 6: L you were Kelsey, you kel the ones up there with bottles.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I feel like this championship we equally were yeah, like we were like, n this the one we gotta let and I felt like we Yeah, last year was kind of we was always I was on the stupid slow last year. But this year, everybody was toe up like everybody. But I would say the highlight of this year, Oh, I just would have to be like it was game It was after Game three and we just lost to New York and we were like, man, like Chelsea's gone down, We're getting a call Kia might not play, so.
Speaker 5: It's like, what the fuck? Okay, Like it was like what the fuck and.
Speaker 4: We were just all at our we were all in this hospitality suite and we were just like playing board games. We're just looking around like how the hell we about to do this shit? And I think that was just a great memory for us because we could have like throw towel in, like we could have said, you know every reason. Yeah, Like it was like, man, we just came up here just to be up here to see the lights, like we we just need to go ahead and pack it up. But I felt like we got in so tight then that was like from that moment, I was like, no, we're not We're leaving him with something like this said were leaving here with something like we're not. We're not gonna just come up here empty handed. And I think that was my favorite moment, which just kicking it with my teammates in a space where you would think that we were crumble, but we really came together the most stronger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those are the moments too. Obviously you got a lot of basketball heavy, but those are the moments when you're done. It's not so much the game. Those moments that you remember we talk about like the bus rides, the flights, gathering after a tough loss, or kicking it after a great win, like those are the moments to sit back in your mind like that's what I missed.
Speaker 7: Yes, for sure, the wonderful. She's a good friend of ours. Candas Parker was on your team, but she got hurt. But it says a lot about her, the player she is and everything she's she accomplished.
Speaker 3: She was your biggest cheerleader.
Speaker 7: Can we can we can you talk about the impact she made without being on the court to you'all team?
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean when you're talking about a goat, Candace is my goat and forever being.
Speaker 5: And it was just truly amazing to be her teammate.
Speaker 4: I didn't even want a fan girl because I'm like, you're my teammate and a lot we're good. But it was just like thirteen year old asiare like what like you were my screensaver I had, like I went to Tennessee to see your jersey retirement, like and now you're feeding me information, Like now you're telling me how I could continue to grow this game. And it's funny because when she all started figuring it out text her, I was like, you know, we could take this league over, right, and she was like all right, let's see.
Speaker 5: So it's just really.
Speaker 4: Cool, like and just to have her constantly there in our ear, always talking the way she sees the game is incredible. Like I'm like, can, it's no wonder you're the goat because what did Like that didn't even make sense, like, but like just having her constantly in the timeout, so she really was talking to me in New York a lot like me individually. Was moments where I'm like, nah, this is real, Like it was like really that sisterhood and every single day she was there and I we really appreciate her for doing that.
Speaker 3: Real quick.
Speaker 2: She's wearing I ain't seen them. You gotta win championships to.
Speaker 5: Get them little key you know it's a little pink and green action.
Speaker 7: Hard yeah green aka yeah. Well, speaking of shoes, you should this is one of the dumbest questions that people talk about it. There's no way you shouldn't have a signature shoe. Even the King himself said that you should have a signature shoe. And it's on the way. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: And is it on the way?
Speaker 6: It looks like she got it on.
Speaker 5: I feel like, just in my spirit, I feel like.
Speaker 4: There's something in the world we're gonna manifest. We're gonna manifest that and put it in the earth. But obviously I would love a shoe.
Speaker 3: I would love to more in the WNBA than you, and.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that. But you know, Bork's never done.
Speaker 4: We gotta continue to grow, continue, Yeah, shadow through this glass ceiling. But I'm never gonna let up, never gonna always have an opportunity to get better. But yeah, hopefully one day I could be wearing my own shoe and the next person could be wearing them the next one and we can.
Speaker 3: I was playing basketball, should definitely go.
Speaker 5: Boys wear them of course. Now it's gonna be a shoe for everybody. That's that's mean.
Speaker 3: Questions.
Speaker 7: What is it like having Braun speak about you so highly? And do you have a relationship with him?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Broun's my dog.
Speaker 4: Obviously we don't talk every single day and we're not besties, but like realistically, like that's my dog, and I always appreciate him because if anyone has a voice in this.
Speaker 5: World right now, he does, it's Lebron James.
Speaker 4: And when you're talking about being in those rooms and being in those spaces, the number one person is probably Lebron that could be in those spaces.
Speaker 5: So we always joke that, you.
Speaker 4: Know, we get hit with a lot of stuff on Twitter, a lot of trolls, a lot of that, but it's pretty cool to say, Like when I go clicker on You're buy and you're like, oh King James, man, I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, how are you bashing me? And the guy that you are idolized? It's like really cool with me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's kind of like that mutual respect that's just like ah nah, like I appreciate you for doing that, and it's he doesn't have to, but he does, and so it's always all love when it comes that way, and it's just about him getting recognized.
Speaker 2: Game, Yeah, a lot of I went to the game last night and I I was texting these dude, I was like, Lebron is such a showman because like, whether he has a ball in his hands or during free throws, he's over there talking to the crowd, riling them up. And I'm like, this shit is dope, bro, Like I just love what he brings to it. But anyway, born and raised in South Carolina, family is very important to you, specifically your late grandmother. Speak to her importance and how important family is to you and your upbringing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a family girl through and through.
Speaker 4: Hence why I really couldn't leave South Carolina for college because they are just my stepping stone.
Speaker 5: They're my foundation and everything.
Speaker 4: And my grandmother was someone that helped me build my confidence and she was able to pull Asia away from the uniform.
Speaker 5: And I think that's the beautiful thing about it.
Speaker 4: She allowed me to be Asian, not Asia Wilson, and it gave me that healthy balance of growing up in a crazy world and just being myself. So I love them there there, my heart, my spine, my rib all in between.
Speaker 2: So your pop's into college the same year the first black student athlete enrolled in South Carolina. What types of stories does he tell you about his college experience?
Speaker 4: Who insane stories that it's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around. But also being in South Carolina, I'm like, get it. Of course they're not gonna let you do that, but just the different stories of just how he had to continue to break barriers just to be able to play the game that he loves. But I also enjoy the fact that he can now watch the seats.
Speaker 5: That he planted flourish through me.
Speaker 4: And I always joke, I'm like, and everybody has a statue, it's kind of like they either did or they knocking on the door, right And so for me to have a statue now and my parents go by there, I mean every single day they're like, oh my god. Yeah, it's like this is her, Like wow, it's pretty cool to see that. Like, yes, he went through all those things, and yes it was hard. He probably segregated his high school. I feel like, but it's like, now you get to see your daughters do that, and that right there just kind of seals my deal.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: You do a lot of work in the social justice space. What type of impact are you hoping to make?
Speaker 4: Man, change doesn't happen over night, but at the end of the day, just making everyone just be in respectful all. I feel like that's the biggest thing, is just being respectful and kind to one another and understanding that we're not here on this earth for long, but we can make a difference no matter who we are, no matter greats like you guys or me still in it. Anyone can make a difference. And that's kind of what I continue want to push forward. And any young black, brown, white doesn't even matter. Like everyone has a chance to be able to be great and what they're doing to help another person. So I just try to sprinkle that on everything that's right.
Speaker 2: Don't be a homer on this one. Give me a real last answer on better hoop state North Carolina, South Carolina, South Carolina.
Speaker 6: Duh, Jermaine O'Neill say the same thing.
Speaker 2: It is real, Okay, I'm just asking.
Speaker 5: Don't do that.
Speaker 4: I mean, North Carolina may have the numbers, Okay, cool, but we're thinking about like real basketspects come on out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 2: Is that where ticket was at before we went to Chicago in jail?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. See your biggest basketball influence growing up, whether it be male or female.
Speaker 4: Biggest basketball influence mm see, I really didn't like basketball growing up.
Speaker 5: Really, I didn't like to sweat what I hate.
Speaker 2: And I still like a girly girl.
Speaker 5: What am I? Yes, I said, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Still because she's still basketball. I can tell.
Speaker 4: I hated basketball with a passion, like everything with it.
Speaker 5: I hated the color of the basketball. I hated everything. I was like, this is it is disgusting. I love the guys that played it, you know, like I was just like, oh wait, they're kind of cute, but playing it absolutely not.
Speaker 4: But my father obviously played and he was like you about to do something like I didn't. It was kind of like y'all didn't birthy for you just site here. So I was like, all right, let me try it. So after when I started getting involved, I love. I was a huge Blake Griffin fan.
Speaker 5: I loved.
Speaker 4: I just don't know what it was Blake Griffin fan.
Speaker 5: I guess the fancy part of it. Obviously Kobe Ron like all of them.
Speaker 4: And then I met Don Staley and obviously Candice was my growing up and Lisa Leslie, even though I didn't get a chance see Lisa play, but then I met Don and she influenced my whole career and it was like on something that I was like, no, this woman has really changed my life. And that right there was all the inspiration, all the influence I need to be me and yes she killed it.
Speaker 5: Yeah she is.
Speaker 7: Was there ever doubt in your mind that you were you were not going to South Carolina?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, what over school you thinking about pulling up to?
Speaker 5: I really wanted to go to the University of Chapel Hill. Oh hold up, hold up, hold on, hold on, how you because the boys were cute?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, wasn't.
Speaker 6: God?
Speaker 5: Oh y'all thought I was talking about basketball?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was about to sign that dotted line on my official visits because I was like, oh, yeah, see me here.
Speaker 2: What not to say that that was who you was crushing on?
Speaker 3: But who was? What?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 2: What kind of team was there at that time?
Speaker 4: I have no idea, okay, but I just knew when I got to that campus I saw that.
Speaker 5: I was like, I'm just right up my Allex. But yeah, that was the only time.
Speaker 4: But I remember when I had to call my coaches, call the coaches to say I wasn't coming. My mom was like, well, if you don't go want to go to South Carolina, You're gonna have to call down Staley, a black woman yourself, and tell her that you're not wanting to be coached by her. And I was like, whoa, When you put it like that, this basketball thing might be some good. So yeah, South Carolina was my strong second, and I'm so glad.
Speaker 7: That I chose best choice. You were the number one recruit in the nation. Don Staley moved you to the bench after your first game?
Speaker 3: You was pissed off? Or did you deserve it? I deserved it. I know what she was doing too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I stuck it up my first time, like my first collegiate game.
Speaker 5: It was so bad, like it was horrific. So I was like, Okay, maybe the bench is for me.
Speaker 4: Let me try this, give it a try, and then yeah, the rest of the rest is history of that.
Speaker 7: Do you think that she sent you to the bench to wake you up mentally?
Speaker 4: She really didn't start getting to me mentally until like sophomore junior year.
Speaker 5: She started playing mental games.
Speaker 4: But like I think she knew like that was just gonna be the best fit for me. Like I needed time to see that, see the game, Like I couldn't just throw my she couldn't throw me out there because the game was too quick.
Speaker 3: Problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would have never probably been the same player if she would have just let me be out there. So yeah, I think she just kind of pulled me because she was like, nah, you just need to see it and then you can kill.
Speaker 2: Them now, right, What was it like when you first met her? It was just like coach keeps it, keeps it real.
Speaker 4: So it was just like honesty and like she just really feels She felt like my second mother then and now she still feels like my second mom now. So like she was in gyms when I wouldn't even playing because I was terrible at basketball.
Speaker 5: But she was there. Like the loyalty she showed.
Speaker 4: I was like, nah, like I got to you got something else, like I want to grow, Yeah, I need to grow, and that you're the best.
Speaker 7: But basketball, we know she's a big part of your career and your success. But what does she teach you about life?
Speaker 4: Be your pro and be discipline in everything that you do, Like don't take anything lightly, don't take anything off, Like always be a pro the way you carry yourself because you never know who's looking. But just being in spaces that you feel safe but never lose yourself.
Speaker 5: I think that was the biggest thing with her. She let me be me.
Speaker 4: Like it'll be days where I would come into her office crime because my boyfriend takes me back and she's like like, take it off, like it's a lot.
Speaker 5: So she just allowed me to be human.
Speaker 4: And I think you see that also in her when she's in the community, when she's talking and she's tweeting with fans, like you never lose sight of just getting into the celebrity vibe, but always staying humble and staying within yourself.
Speaker 5: So she always taught us.
Speaker 7: We spoke about it a little bit, but let's touch on it and on its own. How many twenty seven years old, how many people get this and you have your own statue?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that just.
Speaker 2: Take us through that day you go by and clean it off. Ever, yeah, dust On.
Speaker 4: It was a crazy experience because they told me at graduation, but I thought it was a joke. Like I was on my phone during graduation. All these cameras pulled up and I was like what they got going on?
Speaker 5: And so that's when the president of the school was like, yeah, we want to give agent statue.
Speaker 4: So I thought it was a joke. I'm starting to laugh like whatever, like y'all not because people always say, oh, they need a statue. So I'm chilling. And then that's when it really hit me. The lady that sculpt sculpted me. She did Michael Jordan's as well, and so I had.
Speaker 8: To go to yeah all right, yeah, and so they came and right when she she named when she came to my face and like not my face.
Speaker 4: She came to Chicago and she literally scaled my whole face, like my teeth, like I had like all these things around my face.
Speaker 5: She's like, yeah, I had to do this for MJ.
Speaker 4: And I was like, girl, you can't just say that, like there's nothing now she letting you know right, like no, You're in good hands. And then I went and I saw it. I was like, oh my god, my legs are nice, like.
Speaker 5: I like this, this is cute.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 4: Then finally, I watch a lot of scary movies, so I was like, I hope nobody's trying to take me out when I'm up here trying to say my speech.
Speaker 5: I got nervous there, but no, and I saw it.
Speaker 4: It was truly amazing and like you know, like you said, like I'm young and have to have something like that to be immortalized.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 7: Salute number one pick in twenty eighteen for the Aces came out the pot frying twenty and eight. Do you even have a Welcome to the NBA moment W? I mean, excuse with W NBA moment M because you came out the pipe.
Speaker 3: I did a lot. Yeah kind of did.
Speaker 4: I would have to say my rookie year I think was Maya Moore's last year, and it was like Mayer, Rebecca bruns and Sylvia Fowls, Lindsay Augustus. So it was like what like it felt like I was playing against the mob stars, Like no matter what I mean, I was, I was coming up. I don't know what I had at the night before. I was like, okay, yeah, I'm feeling good about myself. Boy, Rebecca Brunson got this rebound over man, and I was like, girl, you got it. You don't have to worry about me at all. I don't even think she saw me down there. So yeah, that was my moment where I was like, oh no, I'm in the like this is really like we're talking about goats, like banners on banners, rings on rings and I'm sharing the court with them, like I was just in Lilailand and they're trying to take my head off.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was my moment. But not only was you sharing the court, you was doing your thing on the court.
Speaker 5: Right, I was trying.
Speaker 7: But who ye, any vets you learned from early on? Like who gave you the best advice?
Speaker 5: Oh? Oh, that's a good question, I would have to say Sylvia Fowl.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Seal, another goat.
Speaker 4: Big Seal really took me under her wing, and we were never teammates until the Olympics, and she really just kind of just gave me the ropes and it's like, don't lose you, like, don't use your don't lose your sash, your jazz. You're screaming after any one's like, never lose that, and that I stuck with me. Obviously I got better and stronger, but like those little tibbitts from someone like that, oh when it still goes a long way with me.
Speaker 7: So she her game is totally different than the person she is.
Speaker 3: She's so soft spoken and.
Speaker 7: Sweet bro, but on the court, she's she's a dog record.
Speaker 3: I love her to death. Are you a ship talker?
Speaker 4: I would say I'm petty, but no, you're just saying you're a woman, because.
Speaker 6: All women are petty.
Speaker 3: I say I'm a.
Speaker 4: Ship talker, but like if I don't, I don't back down from a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get petty.
Speaker 5: I don't hit a little belt, but I get petty a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Kelsey Plump said that women cut deep, cut deeper than men when they when they trash talk.
Speaker 3: Yea more petty way, more petty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because like I feel like we do our research, like we we know things that you probably don't think we know. So then I might throw a little jab at you, and I'm like, oh you do that.
Speaker 7: Women are very they do better detective, great detective, great detect guy.
Speaker 2: You call a boyfriend, Yeah, he was with my homegirl last night.
Speaker 5: Now that's messy. We don't even throw that, I know. Then did she started thinking? And you would be like, I don't know, but now I got your thinking. We're not messy.
Speaker 3: Do somebody somebody just say that, you know, I knew him.
Speaker 2: She's talking about I want.
Speaker 5: To walk away and then she's like what, so.
Speaker 7: Yeah, have you had any low points or rough moments in your career so far? And don't lie because we've been watching, we've been doing our research. Yeah, maybe you need to do some research or your research.
Speaker 3: No. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've definitely had my moments where I'm just like, especially in the bubble, like we didn't have one outlet, like nothing, like, no excursions, no nothing. It was just me and my bad that's it. And I think that was kind of really hard for me because I love outlets. I love like watching movies or just chilling talking with my family, my puppies, like all that, and when those were stripped away from me, I was like WHOA Like I don't know, and everyone was like, okay, well, Asia has to be great because you just won her first MVP. We went to the finals for the first time. It was great, but in actuality, I felt like I was being a people pleaser and that there tore me up because there's I was trying to please. Literally, I always say, like all of my Twitter followers, I try to please them each and every people.
Speaker 5: Right, everyone, I'm like, Okay, what do you need easy to be? What do you need it to be?
Speaker 4: And I lost myself and I lost I was in a very dark, dark place because I'm trying to be everybody, everything that people wanted me to be. And that's when I was just like, you know what, I'm done. I don't give a fuck about nobody. I need to focus on myself and go from there. And ever since then, I've been extremely well, just like mentally and just approach the way I approach things. It's like, I'm doing this for me because I love it and that's my sole purpose, not to please anyone else.
Speaker 5: And that they're kind of just kind of flipped the script.
Speaker 3: Happy right now? Yeah, you look happy.
Speaker 2: Thanks, good thing, it's a glow. The woman game, the woman's game has grown so much in the past few years. What is one or two things you feel like it needs to happen for it to continue to grow and reach it to potential?
Speaker 8: That money run that bag up and could count what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Run that bag up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, honestly, the salary. We could sit here and talk about that all day. And that's just between the economy and society. That's as a whole. But when I'm thinking about just diving a little bit deeper, would have to be storytelling. I think that's the biggest thing is getting deeper than the WNBA player you see on the screen getting more into the lives of how we navigate this when they when I'm lucky and I'm blessed.
Speaker 5: Shout out to my agent.
Speaker 7: Jade, we see you overseas.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't have to play overseas. I can stay here and kind of get the grinded out here. But those young ladies that have to go overseas to play that and kind of getting lost in the sauce and forgotten about how can we tell their stories so they don't have to do that, And I think that is so key of where now you know, we have people that's broadcasting more and tweeting it more and seeing people can see the imbalance. But that comes from storytelling and allowing you know, me to be on you guys. This podcast is always a great thing. So I think that's the biggest thing I want to see. It's just more storytelling, more pushing pushing faces out there that look like the audience and giving them different views of that.
Speaker 2: Your teammate Kelsey came on the show and said, don't come to our game to support, come to our game and watch and enjoy.
Speaker 3: Do you agree with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I do, because I don't our biggest thing is like, you know, we're not anyone's charity case. You know, I don't need anyone to be like, all right, I made it to the game. Here you go, Like I don't need that validation, Like I put tons and tons of work in. Come see us hoops, Come see the entertainment, the show that we're putting on, Like that is the fun. Like I don't need you to be like, let me wear this orange hoodie like cool.
Speaker 5: Right, I'm not a fan of orange, but you go ahead and rocket.
Speaker 4: But like it's kind of like I feel like we sometimes get that feel from a lot of people, and it's like you could just leave that at home.
Speaker 5: I'd rather you just be straight up.
Speaker 4: And be like I don't really rock with y'all because y'all can't dump cool see you move along.
Speaker 5: We can have somebody else sit there.
Speaker 3: So basketball said, y'all came.
Speaker 2: I came to a game last year, my first game here, and I was with you on the baseline and I was not surprised, but it was rocking in that motherfuckers. You guys are playing the Liberty too. It was rocking, And I'm just like, damn, because I went to some Sparks games, and I felt like it didn't have the energy the acest games have, Like you guys have a live ass crowd out Thereah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's what people have to kind of give a chance. It's like, not every game is going to be like ours, but just giving it a chance. That's why I tell people come to our games, because like we'll set the stage for you.
Speaker 2: But do you think it's whack that men can bounce after one and y'all have to stay four?
Speaker 7: I think it's whack period that nobody can't go straight of high school. You can go to the wall and get your head blown off at eighteen, but you can't go provide for your family.
Speaker 3: That's bullshit.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks to Asia, Asia, how do you feel I had to get that off?
Speaker 3: Asia? It was lovely.
Speaker 6: He asked me that.
Speaker 5: I'm in between.
Speaker 4: I really am in between because I feel like for us and our league is just so I don't want to say so old, but we're very very very mature, Like we're very mature, and.
Speaker 2: The NBA, on the flip side, is very young.
Speaker 4: Young, and it's like you can get into there, and also you have the G League for the NBA, so you have leagues that can develop you to get ready for that next level versus us.
Speaker 5: We don't have that, so it's like when.
Speaker 4: You entering the league, you gotta be ready, and especially the way the season goes, it's like marsh Maddness Draft training camp, like, we don't have a combine, so we can't.
Speaker 5: I feel like we are easy way.
Speaker 4: Our way into the league is literally college, and I feel like, sometimes you need it, I say at least two years, but then I look back at my two years in college and I'm like, I would have stayed off for work because I need it. So I'm like, but if people feel like they're ready, I would say at least two years for us, then we can go because then you kind of find yourself in the in the real world. But yeah, I don't know. One and done is kind of what you.
Speaker 7: Think about these tenth grader and this tenth grader and eleventh grader is they're going up just dunking backwards and all these girls like and so just imagine what they gonna be like in two three years.
Speaker 5: Insane and I right, they got me over here. I'm like, I gotta get my game. Might be calling me old.
Speaker 2: Head out here taking off real obviously with your competitive nature. I was gonna say, who do you like to watch outside of your team? But who do you like to compete against? Give me two or three women like, Okay, I can't wait to play or I love it every time we match up.
Speaker 4: I mean obviously Stuwie, Brandon Stewart, I feel like, yeah, we got I feel like we have in our palms right now.
Speaker 5: And I love that.
Speaker 4: For us because we really grew up from like Junior USA Ball.
Speaker 2: Are playing against you four minutes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I would say Stuie and what else in the league I'm trying to think now, I would say my best friend's Alicia Gray.
Speaker 5: She's in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: I love playing against her because I'm always trying to get out the dub. I'm trying to send us shot to the concession stand and she always be coming from my neck, which is crazy. But yeah, those two I would like, I just love to compete against.
Speaker 2: So flip side the men's game. Who are some guys you appreciate watching?
Speaker 4: I mean obviously bro Like, I mean the things that he can do, not even at this age, but talking about this age, indib.
Speaker 3: Doing stuff at this age. I couldn't do it eighteen.
Speaker 5: It's insane how his mind works in the game.
Speaker 4: I mean, I like Jani is also someone that I'm like, all right, but you got it's just dominance. I feel like the dominance of the game that they carry. It's just it's it's incredible to watch.
Speaker 2: Who is Asia outside of hoops? Any random hobbies are guilty pleasures?
Speaker 5: Who's it's just just a big kid. Honestly.
Speaker 2: Just like you mentioned your dog, your dog, mom, I know she burned out.
Speaker 3: I can tell you just like us dog.
Speaker 7: Look she starts taking that Yes, just like us.
Speaker 2: But Jada's over there drinking that truth serum. So Jade over there shaking her head like, yeah, she burn.
Speaker 5: I'm we I'm weak, I'm weak.
Speaker 3: I'm weak.
Speaker 5: Y'all are hilarious. No, you know I go to church.
Speaker 2: Hey, us to the Bible study us too. But we be in the church too, you know.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, you know I too with my puppies. I really just kind of stay out the way. I love a good movie.
Speaker 2: Always give me some sitting. Not to cut you off. What is something you're watching these shows right now? What are some of your shows just finished?
Speaker 5: Blacklist?
Speaker 4: I'm kind of old to it there, Raymond Reddington, I'm locked in. Like, if I need anyone to commit any crime for me, I'm calling Raymond. That's something I just finished. And I love the office. I'm a little corny girl the office.
Speaker 3: See it is.
Speaker 5: It's it's nice. But yeah, just be chilling.
Speaker 2: Honestly, one message that you could have for the Las Vegas fans, and this is your solo right here, this upcoming season right here, what does one message you give to your fans to this upcoming season besides your burnt.
Speaker 3: Season. That'd be dope.
Speaker 4: That would be fun to the ASIS fans. Just get ready for the ride. It's gonna be exciting. I know everyone's saying three p three ft three pet and we're gonna obviously try our best like we do every single year, but it's gonna be a lot of fun, a lot of high energy. I think we're just starting to get into our groove. It's Olympic gear coming up, too, so it's gonna be a lot of great basketball. So we appreciate you guys.
Speaker 5: Always love.
Speaker 2: Three is different. Who spoke to that code? Three is different like two is tough, but they said three is another level.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean this two is like I still can't believe it, Like I just still it's still like surreal to.
Speaker 2: Me with all the injuries you, Like I said, we talk you guys here were so many in the final.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was like something that I've never ever I can't.
Speaker 4: I still can't wrap my head around it because I'm like, what because even when I see signs or stuff that's like, oh, twenty twenty two and I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, damn, we did that ship again, Like that's why it.
Speaker 3: Makes it visible.
Speaker 7: But that they can win it again next year because everything they went through and still won.
Speaker 3: Just imagine y'all come back healthy and everybody healthy. Right, that's the.
Speaker 2: Scary Top five w n b A players of all time.
Speaker 7: And if you don't say, I'm gonna let you answer.
Speaker 3: I was about to say something.
Speaker 2: I just want to he's burned. He I want you to answer. He sometimes thinks he's getting interviewed when he.
Speaker 3: Forgive him.
Speaker 2: That's part of his burness.
Speaker 4: Can I say myself, break got break yourn. Sometimes I'm a lego to somebody. I'm in character energy just kidding me.
Speaker 5: Yes, Candice Yes, Maya Moore two spots, Diana to Rozsi Mmmm.
Speaker 2: He got something to say.
Speaker 3: No matter what your last I'm just trying to see what last person.
Speaker 2: It's a big spot.
Speaker 5: Can I get like a give me two more spots? Okay to make a little easier swoops.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: I got Cynthia Cooper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was about to lose my mind. I just one of the first fall I got you y'all said five.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh, but yeah, yeah, No, I think that's.
Speaker 2: Solid collegiate player right now in the women's game, you feel like has a bright future.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be obviously biased with my game Cocks because I would say Raven, I feel like Raven and.
Speaker 5: She's in the she's at the perp And I'm not just saying this. She saw her like she's at.
Speaker 4: Fresh and you're being taught by Dawn Staley at the point guard position.
Speaker 5: Don't get better, Like, I feel like you don't get a better situation than that.
Speaker 4: And I think her being disrespected in the Final four last year kind of woke her.
Speaker 5: Up in a sense that's like, oh, bet, like cool, this is what you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Say, so screaming at the TV. Shoot that shit, Raven, then shoot that shit.
Speaker 4: Yes, but sometimes you need to be brought out like that and be like, no, let me get my game tight. And I think she's just playing. She's leading her team. She's making the right choices and decisions. That's like, I feel like she's gonna be a star, like as years come, like when and see, this is where the four year plan comes in, as she gets older and understand being in the SEC as well, like they rough you up a little bit. So yeah, I firmly believe I'm a fan of her.
Speaker 7: It is but all these kids that's going in the draft, top five, top ten in the last couple of years, she played with these kids in then opicser game and dominated, you know what I'm saying. So she definitely has the talent to be one to start.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and she got the swagger like no back down.
Speaker 7: She's just a dog Like I love that saying basketball IQ was high y yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: How do you feel like Angel Reese's game will transfer to the pros.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna transfer pretty fair out because I feel like she has a niche to her, like she she can read. I feel like I've seen her rebound so much that I feel like that's gonna be her key when she gets to the league. Now, if she keeps that up, I feel like that's gonna be huge. But I think that's what's gonna be the separating factor for her even in college, is how can I get more possessions for myself but also my team. So obviously she got years to grow a couple of years ago, just didn't.
Speaker 5: Let it translate over.
Speaker 4: And it's gonna be tough and hard because hart League is so tough, Like I can't express that to so many people, like we.
Speaker 5: Got some dogs at every position, and it's hard coming in being a four and a five, like it really is.
Speaker 4: But I think when I see her play, I'm like, all right, she got a little something to her that's gonna be like okay. She can then translate that over to the pros. And if I ain't seen her, I'd be like, I don't know, I'm worried. But to see that side of her, I feel like that's where she's gonna shine the rightest.
Speaker 2: What kind of damage could you have done in college with the nil?
Speaker 3: Huh? What chill? Like?
Speaker 4: No, I'm here and at the end of the game, I y'all want to sign something one hundred.
Speaker 6: I was out back.
Speaker 4: Like what they would be like, she she's I'm kicking out the door like I love it.
Speaker 5: YEA, God knew, God knew who to give that to because.
Speaker 2: YEA question the mix up between Angel and Caitlin Cark during the Final four, it happens all the time in the men's game. It happens still a lot in your guys game, but it was made such a big deal on that stage. What was your guys take as pros?
Speaker 5: I was laughing every day. I was like, if we're overreacting that this good.
Speaker 7: Look, we say worse things to white boys playing basketball when we play.
Speaker 2: What particularly you.
Speaker 9: No, don't don't do that, don't do that, don't do that, don't do that particularly me. All NBA players go harder on white boys on the court. Even Larry birdwritten Larry Bird got guarded by a white guy who was like, y'all don't have any brothers.
Speaker 7: Yerespected, he felt disrespect.
Speaker 4: That's like the unwritten Hooper rules. So no, I was laughing. I was like, it's never that deep. It's never that deep, but I guess. And then that's when you can tell when people don't really watch the game. They're there for the drama and the anti Yeah, they're like, oh, let me dive into this and give you my comment. I'm like, you have never been in that situation before, but it was funny to me.
Speaker 5: I loved it. I hated that was South Carolina was kicked out.
Speaker 4: I was a little bummed out about that, but I was like, man, go for it is.
Speaker 3: What it is. Who's your childhood crush? Mm mm?
Speaker 5: I like Bill Smith.
Speaker 4: I was a fresh prin that was like, will yeah, shout out Wilburg, Wilburg, best piece of advice you've ever received.
Speaker 5: The best piece of advice, nobody cares, work harder.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that was like the kind of gut check that I had, like damn, you are so right and no one cares, and uh yeah, that right.
Speaker 5: There is something that I always remember.
Speaker 4: I tell myself when I'm at the free throw on, I'm like, girl, nobody cares.
Speaker 5: You're tired, keep going. So yeah, that's something I always kind of live by.
Speaker 2: One thing you wish you were better at. It didn't even have to be sports related.
Speaker 5: One thing I wish I could be better at. I wish I could sing.
Speaker 2: The second person said that I.
Speaker 5: Wish I could sing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like I would just like really be like I'm solidified.
Speaker 7: You know, you know, just how somebody coached you in basketball. You can be coached. Disagree, bro, you.
Speaker 5: Can that's not It's never that serious.
Speaker 3: Eddie Murphy did an album.
Speaker 6: That shit with Jabby, but somebody probably schooled you know what I'm saying. Coach cool, I'm cool.
Speaker 3: Biggest risk you've ever taken.
Speaker 2: Biggest risk on this show.
Speaker 3: Biggest risk.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm a risk ticker every day, every day, like I just try to do yeah, just life in itself. I feel like it's a big risk and I'm always like down to poke the bear.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I don't know. Guilty pleasure, Oh, guilty pleasure. I can eat a whole pizza by myself.
Speaker 2: That tackled you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you could see one guess or all the smoke, who would be?
Speaker 3: But you have to help us get your answer on the show.
Speaker 2: Someone in your rolodex. Yes on the show already.
Speaker 5: What you're doing.
Speaker 1: This this?
Speaker 3: Listen?
Speaker 5: How you throw to live?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Don state remote? Okay, I don't know what this is.
Speaker 9: None of these people we had, we had litl Wayne with, we had Little Wayne in come on man, let me don statement.
Speaker 6: Okay, and she just and she has done a lot since we had hers.
Speaker 7: She signed the biggest contract state.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I think my guess is gonna be the you know that's really what she said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forgive my partner, forgive him.
Speaker 4: But not knowing what I'm talking about, I know what I was saying, Yeah, I think would be Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Asian man, we appreciate. I love always been a fan of your game, but I think your energy and spirit are just as amazing as your game. And like you said, you probably yourself not only being a great basketball player, but a great person. I think you're you're doing a great job accomplishing that. So thank you for your time, continue to push the league to new heights and best of luck.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. That's a app
Speaker 2: Asia Wilson, all the smoke.