Speaker 1: Hey, that folks did is Friday, December nineteenth, and a breaking story overnight. Police say that the man responsible for the mass shooting at Brown University is dead. But the other new information is they say he's also responsible for killing an professor. And with that, welcome to this because a little early and breaking episode here of Amy and TJ. Ropes for whatever reason was we were going to bed last night, we said, hey, we're probably gonna have to hop up again on early there was some sense that they were about to get this guy last Yes.
Speaker 2: They were teasing the news media, so to speak, earlier in the evening saying we think we have our guy, we think we know or we've identified our person of interest. And we went to bed around nine something last night, and everything broke wide open in the hours that followed into the early hours of this morning.
Speaker 1: And so we wake up this morning and a lot of you are going to be waking up and getting this news that, yes, the person responsible for the shooting at Brown University had left two students dead another nine injured. And we found out the person responsible for the shooting death of an MIT professor two days after that shooting was the responsibility all of that one man they have now identified as Claudio Manuel Nevis Valente, forty eight year old man, who was found dead of a self inflicted gunshot wound and of all places, a storage facility in Salem.
Speaker 3: New Hampshire.
Speaker 1: This story, I guess we're getting the details and starting to piece this together now, but it was kind of extraordinary, and right now we don't have a whole lot of answers as to why.
Speaker 2: No, we know a few connections that police have been able to string together. But it's even fascinating how they caught this guy in the first place. You woke me up, I think I turned over at two am and you said, babe, they got him, and he killed the MIT professor too, And I was like, oh my god. But I tried not to process too much of it because I wanted to go back and sleep.
Speaker 4: Which I did.
Speaker 2: But yes, waking up and seeing these details, it is fascinating because yesterday or it was the day before that, we had police come out and say, hey, we have a second person we want to find because we think this second person will help us find our person of interest.
Speaker 4: And turns out they were right.
Speaker 3: That was the right move to make.
Speaker 1: So folks we're gonna get you called up and give you the very latest about what we're talking about here. But the shooter, police say the shooter is no longer out there. That shooter is dead, Cloudio Manuel Nevis Valente, forty eight years old. We're going to get more information about him. But that is the person police say we have been seeing for the past week on all those surveillance videos that they have been putting out. Then robe what yesterday, the day before, they started to focus on a person of interest that they made clear was not a suspect, but they thought interacted with the suspect at some point. I'm like, hmm, weird. How did they know that? Now the story's out, like, holy.
Speaker 4: Hell, it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, yes, he actually encountered the Cloudio Valente in the bathroom and he said he wasn't wearing the appropriate clothes for the weather outside, and he thought it was unusual.
Speaker 4: So I actually thought this is pretty remarkable. He followed him out rope.
Speaker 1: They say this all the time, don't aren't we trained? Now we see something out of place. This was so out of place that he took it upon himself to follow the guy.
Speaker 4: I cannot imagine doing that, but he did.
Speaker 2: He follows him out there, and then he sees more suspicious behavior because Valente goes to get into his vehicle and then just locks it and keeps walking hurriedly around the corner.
Speaker 3: He said, unlocks it with the fob.
Speaker 4: He unlocked it and then kept walking.
Speaker 3: That's weird, why would you do that?
Speaker 4: So then he followed him what around the corner?
Speaker 1: To think now, in that moment, he had no idea he was following a killer. He wasn't a killer yet that dude was armed, and he is following somebody who clearly had no problem killing.
Speaker 4: That is so eery to think.
Speaker 2: And he's probably thinking himself, Wow, I was a lot braver than I even realized, or maybe I was a lot dumber than I knew. But yes, he speed walked to follow him around the corner, and he actually confronted him and said, your car is back there, Why are you circling the block?
Speaker 4: That is very courageous, And I.
Speaker 1: Guess rome's what was he supposed to do next. I'm sure it's on his mind as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Should I have alerted somebody? Should I have gone and say? But this is what I guess in our culture over the years, and go back to Columbine. Columbine, if somebody is wearing a trench coat in the summer, you look and go, wait a minute, what's that about? Like we've been trained almost and to think this guy, So this is not just I saw a guy and thought something weird. He did something about it and followed the guy. This is incredible.
Speaker 2: It is remarkable that he'd and then confronted him and said, why are you acting like this?
Speaker 4: You're acting strangely.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate the fact that maybe all of the news coverage we've had of people trying to thwart potential mass shootings or terrorist attacks like these are the These are the habits that we've hopefully instilled in some people to say, if you see something, say something, and that's exactly what this guy did.
Speaker 3: You know you say that as well.
Speaker 1: I think about the Bandai Beach shooting in Australia and to think that there was a citizen that went and disarmed that guy, like we are taking a responsibility and maybe saving lives. This guy may have saved lives. Sure in that moment, that interaction, he had no idea, but his information was key in him finding the guy. Who knows whether the damage he might have done. But this was a courageous We're gonna be hearing from this guy. He's going to be everywhere telling his story. This is I find this to be just unreal.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so after he confronted Valente and said your car is back there, why are you circling the block? He responded to him by saying, I don't know you from nobody, Why are you harassing me? And then this man goes on to Reddit and says, I'm being dead serious. Somebody needs to look into a gray nis On with Florida plates. So he took note of the car. He took note of the license plates, and that was the key to finding the suspect.
Speaker 3: Period, this and this is unbelievab. He went on red.
Speaker 1: I think he finally realized that y'all have been looking for me. And I think they said he physically went up to two officers. Yeah, yeah, and so he was key to the case. Now how did this work out? They got this witness, if you will, and then they had video surveillance video of a car that they said they could match up. They could match up the two descriptions and that's when they knew, okay, we're on to the right thing with this description of this Nissan CenTra.
Speaker 3: Was it that he had rented?
Speaker 1: Now they tracked this car this system, you know, this system that annoys all of us, certainly here in the Northeast, the one they're able to.
Speaker 3: Take a picture of your license plate.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, when they give you your a toll charge or a ticket for whatever.
Speaker 1: It's that kind of system of cameras that were able to capture the license plate on this particular car. So they were able to kind of track it and piece it together and figure out where it was going.
Speaker 2: And they knew who rented it because they were able to go search the rental records where he actually rented the vehicle and trace his his he got he came to Boston, I guess from Vegas, correct, and he rented the car in Boston, traveled from Boston to Providence, Providence back to Boston, and then eventually to Salem Brookline.
Speaker 1: Where they shot the professor, and then ends up in Salem, New Hampshire.
Speaker 4: And is it Do we know that?
Speaker 2: Because because we saw what late afternoon early evening police were releasing the information that they knew who the guy was and perhaps that led to him making a decision to die by suicide at that point when he knew he was found.
Speaker 4: You're not exactly sure when he died.
Speaker 3: We talked about this yesterday.
Speaker 1: They looked really frustrated that they even had to acknowledge that they had identified there were law enforcement sources that were leaking information and that this look this.
Speaker 2: That hinders an investigation or your ability to capture someone because they're following the headlines most likely, and if they know you're onto them, they're going to either they're going to do something erratic to evade.
Speaker 1: But you said hinder an investigation, and this investigation that's already been hindered, hampered, slowed, two people already taken into custody then released.
Speaker 3: So this has been a hell of a week for that community.
Speaker 2: It's sad because, if you think about it, the Brown University shooting mass shooting happened on December thirteenth.
Speaker 4: The MIT professor didn't die until the.
Speaker 2: Fifteenth, So it's just said those two days cost a renowned and beloved professor his life.
Speaker 1: And again we're trying to figure out the why still now the suspect was found, the authority say again, this was not in the situation where he was engaged in a firefight with police officers. They got there and they say he was dead of a self inflicted gunshot. Will and found two guns with him, and they say also other evidence that matches the scene at Brown. So again we're talking about a forty eight year old man by the name of Claudio Manuel Nevis Valente is the name. Now, who is he and what's his connection to Brown? His connection is he went to school there a long time ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two thousand to two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: He was only there for one year in a graduate program, correct, But they said he knew that building, well, that is the building he would have studied in when he went there more than twenty years ago. We also know he's a Portuguese national. And there's your connection to the MIT physics professor who is also Portuguese, Nuno Lrero, and they apparently went to school for some time together in Portugal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some elite engineering school there. That's not a coincidence. Don't know what the relationship was, but that is not a coincidence.
Speaker 3: That this took place.
Speaker 1: They always check no criminal history with this guy, nothing in his background. Last known address was Miami. He did, I think you mentioned Vegas. He had spent some time in Vegas as well. But here is another big part of this story. How did he get here in the first place? Why was he here? Well, he was a legal permanent resident of the United States. He first entered on a student visa back in two thousand, but he got permanent status through the Diversity Immigrant Visa also known as the DV one, which is now now.
Speaker 2: Yes and now Trump Christy Noman announced it has completely suspended that program, saying it is done.
Speaker 4: It is over.
Speaker 2: We will no longer be allowing people to enter our country through that program.
Speaker 1: And this has been debated over the years, and some find it beautiful. I have to argue, I'll say out loud, I think it. But what it is is just a lottery. There are a lot of countries that don't get a lot of easas to come into the US. It's literally a lottery all over the world. In certain countries, you get lucky enough, your number gets pulled out and you literally win the lottery to come to the United States.
Speaker 3: I just like that.
Speaker 2: I had the best conversation with an Uber driver who had just won the lottery from his country, and he was so grateful and so appreciative, and it was like the most wonderful uber ride I've ever had because he was just the happiest person I had met that day, maybe even that month, because he was just so grateful to be in America.
Speaker 4: So that's that's sad for a lot of folks who have actually.
Speaker 2: Benefited from and our country has benefited from their arrival.
Speaker 1: And it's fifty to fifty five thousand there. That's a small, small, small number, but it happens every year. And as small as that number is, ro Juja said an uber driver. I have known two or three people in my life who've won this lottery. You think I'd never run into somebody. Yeah, I worked with a lady won the lottery. Wow. So this is the program it right now has stopped. So his connection to Brown you talked about there Master of Science program in physics is why he was there. But he went on leave just after attending for one year, but then withdrew officially from Brown in July of two thousand and three, so he hasn't been connected to the school, and the school they announced we have no affiliation to this guy at.
Speaker 2: All that is so bizarre, And the connection to the professor is just that they attended that same elite engineering school.
Speaker 4: And it's very confusing as.
Speaker 2: To how he somehow that much time has passed since he was in class with Nuno Lerero, Professor Lerero, and it's been decades since he's been at Brown. So what happened, what happened recently that somehow brought up some memory or some perceived grievance something that made him snap.
Speaker 1: I don't know what a deranged a killer is supposed to look like somebody who's capable of this. But the video you saw from inside the rental car place casual, cool, calm, normal looking dude. I mean, you just you don't see anything menacing until you know the background and who you're looking at. But I don't think that guy would cause alarm in looking at him.
Speaker 2: No, no, not at all, not even from the image. Actually, he just looked like your average stocky, middle aged guy. Like. The only thing that was strange is he was dressed in all black and had a black surgical mask on as well.
Speaker 4: But this is of note.
Speaker 2: The Rhode Island Attorney General said this very bluntly, very plainly, I don't think we have any idea why now, or why Brown, why these students, why this classroom, But everyone always wants to know the why.
Speaker 3: We have to. They'll start to piece this together.
Speaker 1: A story of some kind will emerge, but as of this morning, it has yet to do so.
Speaker 3: But stay here, folks. They gave us the update.
Speaker 1: Yes, they got the guy, or at least he's off the streets now, believe the shooter is dead. Say there's no further threat to the community, and they are not searching for anybody else. Now, that, of course, was the big headline in the big update, but we got other headlines and updates from the police about the investigation and about how the shooting victims are doing in the hospital state. Stay here, I'll have that for you right after the break. And as I'm looking at my dear robot here, we will have that for you right after the break. All right, folks, we are back here on Amy And sorry.
Speaker 2: You know I've done that before too. I'll say I or mine or meet and wait, we and hours. Sometimes I get it, it happens.
Speaker 1: It's only offensive when you do it about our home. But did you here recording a little earlier this morning. We'll still have our regular morning run for you here in just a bit with all the news headlines of the day, but this was the big breaking story overnight. A lot of people are going to be seeing this for the first time when they wake up that Yes, in fact, after about a week essentially with no answers, we do get word that the shooter in the Brown University mass shooting that killed two students injured another nine, according to police, took his own life self inflicted gunshot wound. But he was found overnight in Salem, New Hampshire, at a facility, a storage facility, so we do know this part is over now. A lot of questions, including they're saying he's responsible for that shooting of the MIT professor as well Robe, So a lot of questions to be answered, but a relief at least that he's not on the street.
Speaker 3: The update.
Speaker 1: It's positive out of the hospital, yes, at least, and you know, every single day it seems like they get we got a positive update, but this is the best one. It sounds like all if those have been shot are certainly on the way to recovery.
Speaker 2: Yes, now all six who still are in the hospital are listed in stable condition.
Speaker 4: That is remarkable. Three were treated and eventually released.
Speaker 2: So all the survivors who were wounded will in fact survive and are improving day by day by day.
Speaker 4: So that is such good news for the parents.
Speaker 2: My heart's still, oh, our hearts still go out to the parents of those two students who were just so senseless, senselessly and randomly killed by this man. I cannot imagine the pain they are in right.
Speaker 3: Now, Christmas a week from yesterday.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's obviously it wouldn't matter when they were killed, it would always be tragic. But but but but I just remember the anticipation of knowing Annie was coming home last week, and you know, just knowing she had a plane ticket to come home, and just thinking about these students finishing their you know, final exams and just getting those last study hauls in to head home for the holidays.
Speaker 4: It's just exceptionally tragic.
Speaker 3: They're gifts under the tree for those kids. That is such a there is I say.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting here looking at you, looking in the distance at Anne Lisa's room. She's in their sleep, trees, presents and this is just what the holiday was. And you know what they saw these kids. I hope they had great Thanksgivings. Right, it's a short window. You go over Thanksgiving, Hey, everybody see you in a couple of weeks. Christmas is coming. Kind of a thing. That's just horrific to think about. An update from police at least about the shooting and again ropes, there's a big debate now debate. There's going to be some I guess, some scrutiny on the cameras at that building.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of talk.
Speaker 2: There weren't many they said that because it's an obviously it's an older campus. It's one of the oldest campuses in the country. I believe the seventh oldest something like that. So yeah, they just haven't updated. Just because you have old buildings doesn't mean you shouldn't put cameras on them. So yes, they just haven't updated their technology with the times. And certainly this would be a glaring example of why it is so important and honestly, even as a deterrent. If people know when they're walking in every angle they are going to be their image is going to be captured, They're going to be seen.
Speaker 4: Anything they do will be reviewed and be watched.
Speaker 3: That's weird.
Speaker 1: I wonder if he was familiar he might have right then, if he knew this, because I haven't seen an image of him anywhere near that building now right, it's all been on the street, these ring cams, door cams, and.
Speaker 2: Wow, clearly he's a smart dude, so he knows or you'd think he would have known that as he was casing things out.
Speaker 1: And how did they explain that the program he was in their physics when he was enrolled there. This building houses a lot of equipment, specialized equipment that you would need if you're a physics major. And she was explaining someone from the university that we don't have records that go back that far of what classes were ware, but she said it is fair to say.
Speaker 3: He spent a lot of time in his building. Yep, he was very familiar, so.
Speaker 4: He knew it.
Speaker 2: And they found forty four shell casings in the building.
Speaker 3: This dude was firing.
Speaker 4: He was firing at random.
Speaker 2: And honestly, when you see something like that, it sounds awful to say that, My goodness, it's a miracle only eleven people were shot.
Speaker 3: Well, folks, we want to hop on again.
Speaker 1: We will have the regular morning run for you here in just a bit, but we want to hop on and get this up for you. First thing, but the headline, the breaking story, yes, is that finally it's over, according to police, the search, the fear is over. The person responsible for that Brown University shooting and the shooting of an MIT professor is dead according to police, of a self inflicted gun shot wound. We will be hearing plenty more about this. A reminder, folks, top right corner of that Apple podcast app on our show page, little button says follow click that you can get.
Speaker 3: Our updates coming to you all the time.
Speaker 1: We expect possibly some more today, but yeah, stay with us, folks.
Speaker 3: We always appreciate you spending some time with us. I'm TJ. Holmes and we have a baby robot. Pu'll talk to y'all soon.