Speaker 1: Hey, vacationing the lawyer.
Speaker 2: Here's my business card.
Speaker 1: I'm Attorney Howard Ankles. You or someone you know has been heard it. Work ankin Law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 2: Hello, folks, welcome to a new episode of The Sox Machine podcast, part of the File Territory Network. I'm your host Josh Nelson, and we're recording this episode on Sunday night, August twenty third. And what a dramatic weekend was for the Chicago White Sox as they win the series against the New York Mets thanks to the lawn ball so Ball Go Far, Team Go Far. The White Sox win both games thanks to the walk off home run from Jake Rogers and Tristan Peters. Of course, the most likely of home run hitters for the Chicago White Sox, but in this episode we'll also talk about the struggles for Luis Castillo and review this week's series. As the Texas Rangers are making a comeback in the American League picture postseason picture. Not only are they try and chase down the Cleveland Guardians for the wildcard spot, but they have tied with the Houston Astros and Americ League West, so this is a big series for the Texas Rangers this week in Chicago. Let's take a quick look at the American League Central standings and again the White Sox winning two out of three against the Mets, they still have the lead. They are sixty eight and sixty two. The Cleveland Guardians swept the Colorado Rockies, so they're back at sixty five and sixty six to They're back at just one game below five hundred and also back into the postseason picture. They currently host the or hold i should say, the final wildcard spot. The Minnesota Twins were swept by the San Diego Padres, so they're five and a half games back with the White Sox. The Kidsas City Royals swept the Detroit Tigers. That is a big surprise. So now the Tigers are closer to the Royals than they are to the White Sox. The Tigers are seven games back with the White Sox and just four games ahead of the Kansas City Royals. Would you take a look at the latest projections from fangrafts dot com. Fangrafts is now projecting that the White Sox have a seventy three point eight percent chance of reaching the postseason and their odds of winning the American League Central have increased to sixty one point three percent after this weekend. So let's continue talking about what happened this weekend and joining me is Sox Machines Baging Editor. It's Jim Margolus, and hello Jim, what a dramatic weekend for the Chicago White Sox. They now have eleven walk off wins this season. As you were writing up the first ten walkoff wins. Makes it so easy to do a top ten the best of the walkoff wins, but now you have another to consider, and I really think that this weekend the highlight is the lawn ball gym. The home runs were crucial in the White Sox winning this series.
Speaker 4: They were especially Game one, the finale one homer solo shot just happened to be all time. But until Grant Taylor had his worst ending in quite a long time, it was Andrew Benintendi doubling off the base of the wall, Miguel Vargus scoring from first, you know, the classic baseball action, scoring a run without the benefit of a homer, and that kind of worked for them. But yeah, it was the back to back to back homers before Rogers went deep in the ninth that defined it. And you know they kind of have to do that, and not in a bad way, but it just like the way teams are constructed, how important the home run is in every postseason, it's always a plot line is you need to figure out different ways to score runs in October. Invariably it's the team that hit the most homers that succeed in October. So as much as you'd like to have that kind of well rounded offense and have the really good sound performance with runners in scoring position, it's just the state of pitching in twenty twenty six, the state of hitting in twenty twenty six to combat that pitching is such that it's really hard to string together three good played appearances in a row. And every team, or at least most teams struggle with runners in scoring position. This conversation we have about runners in scoring position with the White Sox happens basically across the league. So yeah, it is a you know, a I shouldn't say problem, but like a core identity of the White Sox. They have to hit the home run. And it's it's rather than I guess you moaning or saying like, well, they gotta figure out other ways to score. Probably the simpler way to say, keep hitting homers, keep having balls hit over the top of the fence and over hit, over gloves and over whatever it takes to get the ball over the fence. It's a lot simpler that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there was this tweet that I saw from ESPN Insights that Tristan Peters walk off home run on Sunday was the White Sox fit walk off home run this season. That's the most major League Baseball in twenty twenty six. Tristan Peters is the fifth different White Sox hitter to have a walk off home run. So the list is Bradon Montgomery, Edgar Carrow, Jake Rodgers, Miguel Vargus, and now Tristan Peters, and for this White Sox team, again thanks to this weekend, they continue to climb up as far as the leader board for most home runs hit by any team in Major League Baseball. The Washington Nationals still lead the league with one hundred and eighty three home runs. The Yankees are second, which is impressive because they really haven't had Aaron Judge for most of the season. They have one hundred and seventy nine home runs. The Cubs hit a lot of home runs this weekend against the Seattle Mariner, so the White Sox and Cubs fittingly are both tied with one hundred and seventy four. The Astros are one home run behind. They have one hundred and seventy three. The Reds have one hundred and sixty nine, the Braves have one hundred and sixty seven, and so do the Dodgers. So a lot of the teams that are in the postseason race are closer to the top of the home run leader board when it comes to Major League Baseball. But then again, for the purest and for the old school, they will point at the Milwaukee Brewers towards the bottom and say the Brewers are the best record of Ajor League Baseball and they don't hit a lot of home runs, So that is a fair counterpoint. But there's more wedding teams towards the top when it comes to the home runs. But Jim, the White Sox are on pace to hit two hundred and seventeen home runs. To me, that is eye opening. If you told me before the season that the White Sox have a great chance of hitting two hundred home runs, I'd be wondering, from who is Austin Hayes hitting twenty five home runs this season? But here we are, and I definitely think they're going to hit two hundred. But I guess the question is, do you see this White Sox team reaching this projection of hitting close to two hundred and seventeen home runs this season?
Speaker 4: Some context for two seventeen, just because I wanted to see exactly where this fits in terms of what other teams have done. That would tie for fifth among all White Sox teams, all of them in the aughts. So two thousand and four they hit two forty two, two thousand and six, two thirty six, two thousand and eight, two thirty five, twenty three to twenty two thousand and two two seventeen, so they would tie that team and then you have actually, yeah, the first one, two three, seven years or all in the oughts, because then you have two thousand and two followed by two thousand and two thousand and one. Uh So, if it feels like it's that great of offense, it doesn't feel like that. You know, you don't have the yeah kind of a big three. You don't have Frank Thomas, you know in his you know, last Hurrah. I guess like in terms of his original prime you don't have that kind of big masher there. Uh to where you think, like, oh, this is two hundred homer is easy. So I'm inclined to say no. But then if you think about and you say, you're like, well, you know, they're it feels like they've eased up their pace, but not really, especially in August to where like they're still on that kind of two hundred and twenty home run pace and you're seeing, yeah, guys in the downswing a little bit like Cools Montgomery has slowed up, and like, but who's compensating for him? Well, you're going to talk about a communist six weeks and you know, so he can make up the pace that he lost in the first half. And you see like the Andrew Benintendi, Randall Gritchik, the R Andrew DH doing fine. You have like Brad Montgomery who's kind of underachieving from a power perspective. Tristan Peters seems like he's been he had been underachieving from a power perspective. It seems like after that lull that he went into after the All Star break, it seems like he's getting back into bringing pictures into his happy zones a little bit more. And then you know, maybe Kyle Teal comes back and provides a little bit of something that the Catchers haven't really had. So there's probably a way to compensate for guys who might have to ease up or might Yeah, like Colson Montgomery if he just has kind of formed the rest of the season, somebody will need to step up to brought by what we did in the first half, and maybe there's enough depth there to make it happen. So normally I kind of always bet the under on this or say like, yeah, they're not going to quite get there, but let's say they hit it, Like yeah, I don't know if they get to two twenty but I feel like they could as a team get up to the two seventeen level.
Speaker 2: It's just fascinating that we are talking about one of the best home run hitting teams in White Sox franchise history. Twenty twenty six, Like again, a season of surprises. This has been leading the charge. I think Jim for this surprise, I think it catches a lot of people off card. You hear it in national broadcast when they talk about the White Sox. Now it's yeah, the White Sox still leading the Central Did you know the White Sox lead the American League in runs scored? And I didn't know that before this weekend. And that's a great fun little trivia nugget for the Chicago White Sox. And it kind of needs to right now, right because of how the pitching situation is. But this is where as a White Sox fan, Yes, Saturday did not go well, but it didn't really feel like sitting in the stands gym, that that game was really over until like the eighth inning, even when the White Sox were down seven to three and they were threatening when they had the bases loaded, that there was this feeling in the ballpark that they're going to figure it out, like they're gonna come back, just like the night before when the Mets had full control of that game, gym up four to nothing and then in a blink of an eye, three straight home runs and the game is tied. Like while the offense could be frustrating and it's not fun watching Colson Montgomery, Munataka Americami gym strike out, especially with runners in scoring position, but this team is still leading the pace in the American League and runs scored. And this is where I think other teams getting closer to the postseason can't sleep on the White Sox because if you do, they have this amazing ability to have these big innings to the home run.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that stat the White Sox leading the American League at run scored says about as much about them as it does the American League, because I looked it up just to see where's it fit league wide or like Major League Baseball wide, and it's a distant sixth. You have the Cubs leading the way, the Nationals basically within two runs of each other at the top at six eighty four and six eighty two, the Dodgers six fifty three, Pirates tied at six fifty three, Pirates being tied with the Dodgers, that's a surprise. Then the Brewers at six fifty so then thirty two runs later, you get to the White Sox at number six, and that's good for the White Sox, Like that's where you want the White Sox to be overall, like six and baseball, sure, you know that's that's great, but tops the American League. It's like, man, I guess with Aaron Judge being out, with the Blue Jays being a disappointment, I think you're probably expecting those teams be one to two in run scored, and yeah, it's just it's not happening.
Speaker 2: Jim mentioned it earlier, but it is one of the storylines of this series. The White Sox struggles with runners in scoring position. They went two for nineteen this series with runners in scoring position. So if you are looking for ways to improve, this would be an area for Andrew bettat Teddy Jim he had four plate appearances with the bases loaded in this series and all he could muster was a sackfly. He had three plate appearances with the bases loaded on Saturday. It just couldn't come up with that big hit. For the season, the White Sox have a seven to twenty three OPS with runners in scoring position that ranks twentieth in Major League Baseball. I wonder, I guess I should ask, is this going to be the White Sox offensive achilles heel as far as trying to hold everyone off in the American League Central or even looking ahead to the postseason of if they don't win as seasies, this might be a reason why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like that's a self fulfilling prophecy in a way, because that's just another way to say that you didn't score runs, okay, and you know that that's the way you get outscored, like you typically don't get out scored not hitting at all, or you know, just we you know, we lost. Uh, you know, like the White soxers saying we lost in a three game series and we got swept and we only came up with six hits over the entire series. That's what it'd be like if they lost without hitting with runners in scoring position. So it almost feels like it's like the uh, you know, the horses behind the cart. They're just saying like it's uh, if they lose, that's probably going to be culprit no matter what, no matter what team loses, it's gonna because they didn't come up with enough clutch hits and that means that they you know, they were out pitched as well, because that means that your pitchers didn't keep the other offense in check and they didn't shut doors they limit damage. So that's why it's such a tricky thing to talk about. I mean, it's understandable. I think, especially with strikeouts, sometimes you can point the finger at strikeouts and if they're chasing, if they are getting pitched backwards predictably, and I think you see this with looking at strike three down the middle. I think that's maybe a case where you're getting out thought where your plan didn't work. You're not having the right approach. Like that's one thing where you can say they're in their heads or they are just they once they get to two strikes or once they get even down one, their entire plan becomes scrambled. That's something you can say. But I think if it's a case where you're two for seventeen, but you strike out like four times and you hit grounders or you hit like pop up like, that's becomes a case of like, did you do you have like the inability to hit in the clutch or just have a normal series and you went two for seventeen. The other team went three for sixteen, and that's all it took. Like the other team doesn't necessarily upper form you just it's the margins are so thin in a lot of games and especially the postseason, when the teams get better, that it does come down to you know, one or two bets over the course of a game or maybe even over the course of an entire series, to where it's hard to you can point to it. And certainly, like every team is looking to get better, and the White Sox wouldn't say we're fine with runners in scoring posision. It's just really a hard thing to try to address and try to We've seen the White Sox kind of do this before and in terms of trying to diversify the offense, and they just end up scoring fewer runs because if you have less power, you score a fewer runs, and if you try to sequence and stack all your hits, well that's a hard way to make a living. So like, that's why I tend to not follow this path too far, just because I think you invite creating problems by trying to solve a very specific one.
Speaker 2: I guess the good news is they had that many opportunities. Like they're getting on base, they were getting hits, they were drawing walks. Miguel Vargas drew four walks. He had a great obp day on Saturday against the New York Mets. I'm going to talk of our Commi's cold right now, Coles Montgomery is cold right now. But yet the White Sox still won this series. I find that to be a positive, and thanks to the home run, that is a way that you can overcome if you're having difficulties finding that one extra hit with runners in scoring position. I'm happy with the nineteen number. If the White Sox were six for nineteen, maybe they sweeped the Mets, Maybe they figure out a way to win on Saturday. But I wanted to bring that up because that's one of the stats from this weekend. But maybe a cap tip. The biggest out of all that happened this weekend, Congratulations to Sam Antonachi. He now sets the new single season record for getting hit by a pitch Jim twenty four. He did it, so congratulations to Sam. The new hit by Pitch Kden for the Chicago White Sox. What an honor, Jim.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I liked that he did it too, on a ball that barely clipped his leg, like a seam of the ball hit a seam of his pants in that being good enough, just a real sense of you know his body and you know what can move and what can't and what gets locked down, especially since later in the game a j Ewing got his elbow out of the way of a Grant Tailor fastball, and obviously you know Grant Taylor fastball. Yeah you're not, Yeah, but Sam and to not you know, like a guy with his skill set probably doesn't get out of the way or it gets like the right part of his shoulder or tricep in the way and takes a glancing blow. And and you know the that that prevented the Mets because Ewing got of the way. You know, coward that he is. I say that jokingly because that I get invited to stand into a batting cage and take a ninety five mile per hour fastball or don't have any interest in doing that, but just with without having I guess the technique or Antonachi just kind of having that be such a part of his game is just like I gotta get on base no matter what, and I will especially the bases loaded. Uh, you would imagine see that those shoulders kind of fixed in place there and just only rotating with the hip to try to get a piece of them. But that you know, that changed the game with you and getting on the way. So I think, you know, it is a testament to Antonagi's ability to just kind of understand where his body is going to be and what parts can afford to be fixed in place and still not miss a game. With this, I will say that's a little bittersweet that. You know, Minni Minoso held that record for fifty six so seventy years share of it. Like Carlos Quinton seemed like he should have lapped them, but you know he had the injury in that one year. But like Minoso led that led the league ten times and hit by pitches. That was a big part of his game. That was, you know, part of how he got in base so much, and then you know he ran like hell when he got on the bases, and it was really a big part of the identity of those teams. So to see him not off that perch is a little sad, But then I remember that Minosa is in the Hall of Fame and all those little things of just like you know, you gotta remember how he's hit by pitches and how he led the league in triples and stolen bases and really redefined the game, and a lot of that's you got to remember this guy is because he wasn't in the Hall, and so now that he is, it's a lot simpler to say, oh, he's a Hall of Famer and then have that summarize or be a shorthand reference for just how good he was in a variety of ways.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations to Sam. Maybe he could get to thirty. He's currently second right now in Major League Baseball with twenty four hit by pitches. Ivan Herrera for Saint Louis has been hit by a pitch twenty seven times, so we may have a couple of players who reached the thirty mark this season. We're going to take a quick break for a word from our sponsors, but coming up next to the Sox Machine podcast, we're going to take a quick review of the players that were acquired to the trade deadline, especially Luis Castillo as he struggled again in his start against the New York Mets, and we'll also be reviewing White Sox versus Rangers next on the Soxs Machi podcast.
Speaker 5: It's time to remind everyone why baseball is glorious, especially nowadays where you could think your team is out of it, but they might be back in it again. Let me introduce you to the American League Wildcard KP and let's tell everyone why they might need to head back to Sea Geek grab some more tickets for what is a playoff race before the playoffs actually begin.
Speaker 6: Well, speaking about being out of it, I'm an American League East guy, and I'm talking to you Toronto fans. I'm talking to you Baltimore fans. A couple of weeks ago, probably not a reason to come out of the games. Look at the standings right now. Both of you teams are right back in this wildcard race.
Speaker 5: Rangers fans, we can go on and on. Mariners fans, you might be feeling a little queasy, but you're still in this thing too. So all of you should head to See Geek and get yourself ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets. Ten percent off. I'll be tickets with the promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later. Howard, I'm so glad I saved your number.
Speaker 3: My husband Phil at the construction.
Speaker 5: Site and his incredible counition in my newspass.
Speaker 1: I'm very sorry to hear that. I just want to let you know I'm here to help. Yeah, tell me more about it. Work injuries not only affect the victim, but also everyone around them. In can Launch, Chicago based here to advocate on your behalf with over one hundred attorneys and staff. If you or somebody you know has questions about a work injury called three one two six million injury law made personal. That's aake in law.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Sox Machi podcast. Let's quickly review what happened for Luis Castillo. So even though the home runs and the walk off wins, very exciting, very happy to be a White Sox fan winning that series against the Mets, Luis Castillo is a big reason why Saturday went sideway for the White Sox, as he did not get through the third inning. He threw eighty two bitches. He threw over forty pitches in that third inning and still couldn't get out of the inning. So his final line was two and two thirds against the Mets with eight hits, four earned runs allowed, one walk, and three strikeouts. And since Castillo has joined the Chicago White Sox in four starts, it's only eighteen and a third innings. His earn run average with the White Sox is five point eight nine, he's walked five and he has struck out nineteen. Ten of those strikeouts came in the one start against Cincinnati, and it's kind of brought into attention for me Jim. As far as the trade deadline moves for the White Sox, we graded Chris Gatz. You gave him a CE I split C plus James Vegan. Now the Sun Times gave them a B. And when we're looking at these moves and the immediate impact, I know it's just three weeks after the trade deadline, but the White Sox are not getting much from Luis Castillo. Huascar brazobah Is, I don't know what's going on with him, as he gave up another home run on Saturday night, Brenton Doyle has been okay, Joey Bart probably missing the rest of this season because of an injury. So the best acquisition so far is Jose Orchidi, which we all predicted when the White Sox made that trade. What are we supposed to do with this? I know it's only three weeks, Jim, And sometimes we fall into this trap as far as the sports media world, where we just instantly have to come up with a verdict on how moves went. But is there something here? Maybe the lesson learned from the Miguel Vargas trade where we really harshly graded Chris s Gatz and what the White Sox did in that move. When now we look at how that move happened two years ago, and everyone's thrilled because not only are the White Sox taking advantage of Miguel Vargas now and his production, but they still have Eric Betty Funny how baseball life works. So I guess, with that experience of just two trade deadlines ago and how Vargas has become the player that he has, should we be a little bit more cautious before casting judgment and what happened to the White Sox at this trade deadline?
Speaker 4: Yes, and no. I would say that when it comes to like wasatcar Brasabon and the way he's pitched so far, like he's there for immediate help. He was supposed to be plug and play. It looked like a fine pickup for a decent price, and fine in terms of like we say, like satisfactory, not fine in terms of like very good. You look like he was more or less fit the bill for what they needed is just right hand and depth. But looking into his late season performances, there's a tendency of fur fade there. And he faded with the met when they acquired him from the Marlins for the last couple of months, and so that and then fangrafts commentaries as well, saying like, well he could very well turn into a pumpkin reading the post and comments there, and sure enough, like it happened immediately. So that's one where you think, like, well, was there a scouting mist there or was there a case of just you know, maybe not paying enough heat, especially for a season where he's being worked fairly regularly. Is thirty six years old. He's a young thirty six in terms of major League mileage, but he's he's lived quite the career. So that's one where I'd say, like, it's that doesn't quite fit the Vargas path. Same thing with Castillo. That was the one I was most skeptical about because it seemed like they were running a risk of taking a bad Sir Anthony, Diminga's contract and making it worse because of just either Diminga's fatigue or feeling like there's a by low gamble here with Castillo. But if it's not, then like now you're with a more onerous contract to try to have to unload or work around on the books, especially if they're not ready to really scale up their spending yet. So that's one where I kind of concerned me in terms of, like, is this like a just a panic move and just the the operative of getting out from under Domingas and avoiding awkwardness of the bullpen. He invited a different kind of problem by bringing in Castillo. I think Doyle might be the one that fits the Vargas one of the most. He's not like a post type prospect. He's had a few years, and he's had like one good year already with the Rockies, but in terms of hasn't been able to recapture it. You know, he's been kind of out of sorts. He came to the White Sox wanting to feel like he used to, and the White Sox might have an idea for it. In the meantime, serves a purpose of helping protect Tristan Peters a little bit against lefties and gives the White Sox as true centerfielders, so Peters doesn't have to be out there if the White Sox really would rather or avoid it. So he already serves a purpose now the way like Vargas served a purpose by getting starts even when it was going awful for him and he looked miserable. And that's the one guy I would say, like, let's wait for next year for that one to kind of have a verdict there because at least he's playing defense up the middle and that helps his team. But I think with Castillo and Brasobauond and just you know Castillo, yeah, he has another year of control. Brazo Bond's got multiple years of team control, so you don't want to write him off immediately. But they were veterans acquired for immediate help. And when Castillo doesn't go three innings and with Brazemon gets he's he's getting rocked right now. I mean it's not only runs, but just just a stream of hard hit balls and balls hit in the air. The ground ball rates like half of what it was with the Mets. Like that's that's scary, or like that's uh, now that's the front man or bulman. He might be optioned. The White Sox might have to option him if it keeps going that way, just because of it's not working and and when's he going to pitch? So that's I think, you know, and Joey Bart is irrelevant just because of two games bad luck. They have Jake Rodgers. Now he fits that veteran catcher bill, so you just shrug off that one. But yeah, I think that's you can't quite say, you know, wait for Miguil Vargas, just because they are competing this year. And while these moves have twenty twenty seven value, theoretically, Chris Getz really needed to help twenty twenty six as well, given where the team is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just I'm a bit surprised that they're not getting much out of Luis Castillo Jim, at least on the innings front, like a first start, four innings, second start, best start, and one that we thought was going to spur a comeback for Luis Castilla when he went seven innings against Cincinnati his last two his third start against the Cubs, four and two thirds innings. Can't get out of the fifth inning. Maybe if Vargas makes that defensive player, if he doesn't throw it past Mark, maybe Castillo gets through that fifth inning. But he just did not. He didn't have like a strikeout pitch against the Mets, like, he just could not get out of that third inning. Just really high pitch counts, only going two and two thirds. Yeah, just he just couldn't figure out an outpitch like against the Mets. And it's only eighteen innings that he's covered in forced arts And I really thought this is a guy that could give you at least five you know, the White Sox really need that right now. And if he is a liability, I know we're talking about like the White Sox starting rotation is like three guys and then it's two bullpen games, but really it just feels like two and a half starting pitchers. I have confidence in Anthony K. Jim. I have confidence that Sean Burke no idea what Luis Castillo. Like, right now, out of the first four starts, it's more likely that they're going to have to use the bullpen for at least five innings in a Luis Castillo's start, and that completely defeats the purpose and why the White Sox acquired him in the first place. So I kind of put the onus on Castillo here because Jim, he's the veteran, Like, I don't know how quickly the White Sox can make adjustments with him, And I know that they want him to throw more change ups as far as like the pitch calling mix. But he's got to step it up here, man, Like that can't happen again like it did against the Mets. So the next time he makes a start for the White Sox, it's going to be a big one. It's going to be in Minneapolis at Target Field against the Twins who are still holding out for Hope. Jim, they really need Luis Castillo to figure this out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's especially when you look at the other starters that went, Like watching Clay Holmes pitch pretty well. Yeah, that's the case where it seemed like, I know, Chris gets has to worry about next year's rotation as well, and that you know, this was an opportunity to try to find somebody who's an awkward fit for their team. And so, like I understand the appeal of trading Dominga, So you don't want your roster for Castillo, it's a change of scene to re trade for both one team's headaches might become a benefit to the other team just because of opportunities. There's so many bullpen spots, there are so many rotation spots. The barrier for contributing is relatively low when you need a fifth starter or if you need like a sixth inning reliever. So you understand why Chris gets saw an opportunity here, But it did feel kind of too cute by half just trying to see like pull you know, not that he's trying to pull an over in the Mariners. Like everybody's got needs and ideally like every trade would be win win, or at least a lot of trades would be win win, because you know, you want reason to keep trading, You want a reason to to uh for teams to see your roster as a way to solve problems and vice versa. But it almost seemed like yes, you know, Castillo has been this awkward fit the whole time. He hasn't been able to get guys out. Yes, he throws change up more when he's been throwing sliders for years. It did seem a little bit too on the nose to be that simple, and so far it's proven the case. But yeah, I guess the good news is a few turns left the rotation. Probably Davis Martin is when he's ready to return. That might be when there's a big reckoning with any rotation spots and who who gets kicked down. You're seeing Eric Fetti bounce back in this bulk role after being bumped the bullpen like maybe he's earned a reason to hang around in his current rotation arrangement after being bumped out by Castile when he arrived. So yeah, I think I'm looking at Davis Martin's return is for when this conversation gets a lot more serious.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I did not take that into consideration of Castillo b moved to the Jim. It's so much money. That's why it's a lot of money. But it's all about performance now for the rest of the season, and Castillo really needs to pick it up that end. Brazobond. The White Sox have to figure out what's going on with him too. I don't know if anyone's ready to go in Charlotte to replace Brasobon, but the White Sox need more out of the guys they acquired before the trade deadline. Jim and I will take one last break for a word from our sponsors, but coming up next we're gonna be previewing White Sox versus Rangers next on The Sox Machine Podcast.
Speaker 7: One of the things that I wasn't very good at, well, it's playing Major League Baseball. One of the things that I'm really good at is sweating. Even now when I'm not playing, I need hydration. I need to make sure it's convenient. That's why I choose Quits.
Speaker 5: Yep Quints electrolyte stick packs to the Rescue Kratz. They taste great and the zero sugar options are Stevia free. They're Keto approved, naturally sweetened with fermented rice, and like everything Quince does, they're thoughtfully made and priced well. At twenty dollars for thirty servings, they're less than half of the leading brand. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quins dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's qui Ncee dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns Quinns dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Sox with Chip podcast at Texas Rangers now visit the Chicago White Sox. And you wouldn't believe it, but the Rangers at sixty five and sixty six, are currently tied for first place in the America League West with the Houston Astros. They won their last game. They are five and five in their last ten. They have not been great on the road this year. They are twenty nine and thirty seven. All three games between the White Sox and Ras this week are at six forty pm Central Time. Your first game on Monday night, it's Kumar Rocker, who has been awesome against the White Sox. So that's the bad news. The White Sox have to figure out Kumar Rocker. But Jose Erkidi is right now. They're going to be the starter for the White Sox, the projected bulk guy. We'll see how far he goes again. He was electric against the Chicago Cubs at his last outing. On Tuesday night, it's Jacob de Gram for the Texas Rangers against Anthony K for the White Sox. And on Wednesday nights it's McKenzie Gore for the Texas Rangers against Sean Burke and Jim This is an interesting series because Texas really needs this one to keep their postseason hopes alive. This is not an easy pitching matchup for the White Sox offense. Kumar Rocker has had outstanding starts against the White Sox, but the White Sox did hit Jacob de Gram a little bit, and we'll see how they fare against McKenzie Gore. But at least on the pitching front here for the White Sox, they got Anthony K and they got Sean Burke going. It's been a lot of stress. It's been a lot of anxiety watching these White Sox games the last couple of weeks, and I have a feeling it's going to be more of the same in this series. It gets a Texas Rangers. How are you feeling about this series between the White Sox and Rangers.
Speaker 4: I would like to see the White Sox win two out of three, and not just for the obvious benefits of hosting a White Sox podcast where we want people to enjoy the product, but also because of you know, watching the NL or Ale West just not surface a real threat and kind of giving the Central a little bit of a boost just by no longer being the default bad division or of the division where just like, what are these records even reminds me of nineteen ninety four before the strike? Oh yeah, the Rangers were leading the Ale West at fifty two and sixty two, ten games that are five hundred good enough to lead just the Royals were in third place in the AL Central that year at sixty four and fifty one. That's that's how that was like the end of the kind of that Royals era of being like a real respectable team like year in and year outs in the eighties and nineties, and that's kind of where it all started falling apart from them. But yeah, it's I haven't been able to figure out the Rangers all year. Haven't been able to figure out the mirror. I guess easier to figure out the Mariners now, just because they've had some really ugly games and cal Rally doesn't look like he's gonna rally this year, and you realize how much of the Mariners kind of built around him offensively, And yeah, it's not to going from a near MVP season to average would be something, but to go from near MVP and build your team kind of around that person to one of the worst players in the league is really remarkable. And then the Astros, I think have been kind of what I thought the Astros would be and that just kind of getting thinned out over the years, but still formidable if you catch them the right series. So I feel like I understand the Astros, but the Rangers, and uh, I guess the Rangers now, the one team I you know, still standing, seems like they could get a hide any time because like the name brand pitching like de Gram and Gore, it's a good uh you know, back to back starters and they they're able to have like a rotation turn that looks really impressive, but just the results aren't there. The lineups sometimes a little bit short. Even though it's name brand talent. There too, and yeah, it's it's not an easy matchup for the White Sox. But I think the Rangers in the entire year have been playing a little bit like behind teams or other teams are giving them a hard time that they wouldn't expect. So the White Sox seem like, yeah, there's a strain of pessimism, I would say, And I'm sure you've noticed this too, and the comments and you know elsewhere, just you're waiting for the bomb to fall out. But I think the yeah, the Rangers are a decent team there. Uh yeah, I would say kind of close to the Reds a little bit, and that's the Red Star White Sox. But just you know, they're they're in that middle class and they should be able to win any series. But also there's a reason why they're still under five hundred this points, and uh, the White Sox there's a reason why they're over five hundred. So uh but I really want to see a team win the division under five hundred, just to uh make it, make the make October real weird. And I would like the White Sox to have hand in that.
Speaker 2: Fly that banner, right, yeah, banners fly forever. America League Quest champion seventy and eighty three.
Speaker 4: The White Yeah, and the way it happened the White Sox, the White Sox would take it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it happened the last three years. Absolutely yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The White Sox have already hit the over for their over under total wins for the season. Those bets cashed if you were on the over for win total for the White Sox in late August, which is a a pleasant surprise. Though. The other thing I'm gonna be paying attention to other than can the White Sox score runs against Kumar Rocker Jim, because again, Rocker has been excellent against the White Sox in his young career. If who's a Yrkidi held go five or six innings, fantastic. But this is also the end of this sixteen straight game stretch over sixteen days, and the White Sox get a much needed day off on Thursday, and then it's a key series against the Minnesota Twins, and I'm looking to see if Davis Martin's gonna be ready to rejoin the White Sox. He's eligible to come back. But I know you cover the minor keys for us, and you've been keeping an eye on how guys are faring in Charlotte, and I just don't think the White Sox can continue doing this whole back to back bull type of games to get through September, And I know September call up period is also coming up. Is this also a week to kind of keep an eye on Charlotte to see who deserves another chance to be a starting pitcher, Like, is it possible we could see maybe Noah Schultz or Drew Thorpe or even Shane Smith joined the White Sox this upcoming weekend in Minneapolis to take a start.
Speaker 4: I would rule out Smith not going well for him. The fastball was at ninety three his last start on Sunday, so it's yeah, and I think he has to bully hitters with the fastball in order to be what he was last year, and it doesn't seem like he's able to summon that, so set him to the side. I think the candidates are you know, Schultz, you mentioned right now he's being limited to fore innings, Like, I'm not sure what the plan is the rest of the season for him if he's thrown four innings not you know, maybe it's like a left handed version of Fetti to where like he's more of a bulk guy then a starter who's gonna give you six. But like his development is kind of in a holding pattern right now as they try to get him through the rest of the year. I would say maybe Drew Thorpe would be the most ready of the starters, just because he's been completing five with ease. The change up looks like it's back for him. It's just a matter of like, does he have enough power to really allow the change it to play up that often? And are the slider and cutter distinct pitches at the major league level? Do you hit or see them differently? Do they help set them up different ways? As he goes through the lineup multiple times, But based on what he's shown in Triple A as he completes his rehab, stant looks like he's at least ready to show what that looks like against major league hitters. If it doesn't go well, it doesn't go well. But in terms of just how easily he's throwing five and competing in the strike zone and getting swings and misses with that change up when he sets it up, and he's setting it up, then yeah, may as well go with him. I think Jonathan Cannon's other guy who's just if they need somebody to go six, like he's been going six when it's going well. Sometimes it doesn't go well, but he's been able to like absorb a rough inning and keep going. I think he's more of a part in the pun But like fodder, you canon fodder, He's more somebody you put in there just to buy a day. If it goes well, goes well. If not, you can still try to push them five innings plus and just save your bullpen. He's probably the best case for that if you don't necessarily care about his era how it looks at the end of the season. And then David Sandlin is there as well. He's pitching okay in terms of results. The peripherals don't quite match it, and it's hard to know based on the stuff is legit in terms of like velocity, the sharpness of his curveball, Like when he executes a great curve ball off a fast while, you get like, oh, this is a major league pitch combination. And maybe he doesn't get strikeouts because like hitters are just off balance and they're able to make contact. But you know he's limiting hit and maybe that's how it manifests itself. But you know, we've seen him, you know, a few times at the major league level and can hit a wall and you have to worry about that. So I think I would put him with Schultz on the second tier. I think Thorpe is top tier for me in terms of choices, and then you blow them as cannon for one reason, and then Sandlin and Schultz for the other reason of just like you might get three dynamic innings, but after that's beyond guard.
Speaker 2: All right, No, that's good insights. So thank you for that, Jim. And again we'll see how this week shakes out. Of course, we're all going to be paid attention to how the White Sox fair gets the Rangers this week at great Field. But even after the day off, the White Sox hopefully could find some answers as we inched close to September for the final run of the twenty twenty six season, thirty two more games left to go, Jim, here you go. This is the mad dash to the finish line for everybody, and it seems like a lot of teams are still live in the Marrikie League, and the White Sox still have the second seed and still leading the American League Central.
Speaker 4: Of course, thirty two games, that will feel thirty two games, it will feel like sixty four.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's gonna feel. It's gonna be a law month. It's gonna be a long months like in his White Sox team.
Speaker 4: It's like when you know, teams go to extra innings and they say free baseball, and it's like free baseball the month. It sounds fun. It's not, but it is fun for games to count, for decisions to matter, for players and coaches. The second guests like, it's after three years being what the last three years were, it's nice to get this granular and for it starts to matter, and for over achievement under achievement to resonate this much.
Speaker 2: It's that Paul run me, look at us. Can you believe it? I can't. But it's a great time to be a White Sox fan. It was a dramatic series win against the Mets. Let's see if there's more dramatics this week against the Texas Rangers. But that will do it for this episode of The Sox Machine podcasting. You guys so much for watching and listening. If this is a video podcast style which you could watch on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash sox Machine. We've also been doing some live streams as of late. We'll continue to do that especially the months of September, especially leading into the postseason. So to make sure to be notified of any new videos from us, subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com Slash socks Machine, and then you could also listen to the podcast wherever you listen to podcasts as a Spotify and Apple Music. Follow us at social media. We've been posting as far as our news stories, especially going on with the new stadium, a lot of you have been introduced to us, so if you are just listening to this now because of that reporting, welcome. You can follow us on all those social media platforms. We're at soxs Machine. You can follow me at soxs Machine, Underscore Josh And if you would like to help support a sox Machine, you could do so by becoming a sox Machine subscriber. Go to soxmachine dot com slash Products. Take advantage of our first month's sale, it's just fifty three cents. After that it's five dollars a month, but a sox Machine subscription gets you the ad free version of the website and the podcast also unlocks the comments section as well for you. We have been getting more and more people inquiring to join our Veterans Committee. We absolutely love that our VC members. We meet with them and we heed their advice and insight and how we shape and structure our content covering the Chicago White Sox. So if you are interested in joining our VC, we still have some spots open again. Inquire within at Soxmachine dot com slash products. The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot com. You are for all of thame Chicago White Sox Baseball and part of the Territory Network. Alongside Jim Margolis, I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.