Speaker 1: It's Tuesday here on your Second Date Update podcast, which means you get a little awkward, all right, Yes, and today's is pretty special because there is I don't know if you saw it, but like a viral TikTok issue with the kid's birthday party.
Speaker 2: Where they all in it in tears.
Speaker 1: One of the parents is actually on the phone with us to deal with. So it's gonna be fun. But before we get to it, I just got to say, I know you can tell we look cuter today. That's how by the tone and exactly because we got our merch for a cause I'm in and the gear is so cute.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna sweach it right now. And I think I'm gonna wear.
Speaker 1: This every day for the next foreseeable features summer. It really is, and it's the Second Date Update edition of course one proceeds are going to Convoy of Hope, so please order yours now.
Speaker 2: And note that it's not white. Okay, it's a phone, that's what we call it. It's bone.
Speaker 1: All right, order your merch today, tag us in your socials when you get it at Burke and Jeffrey and then hey, sit back and.
Speaker 2: Enjoy some awkwardness. It's your awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 3: One of the most dramatic calls we've had all year, and it all started with a weird disagreement at a Build a Bear workshop.
Speaker 2: Where all big disagreements happened.
Speaker 3: Of course, gotten it, Oh yeah. Children were in tears, their parents were upset, and even went viral on TikTok. And now one father's decided it's time to get justice and confront the person who started the drama. You're gonna hear what went down at Build a Bear in your brand new awkward big teas right, the most awkward Tuesday phone call coming up right after this. It's awkward, It's Tuesday. It's awkward Tuesday phone call. Different radio shows excel at different types of content. Some shows are really good with health and wellness tips. Other ones don't judge the other shows. Yeah yeah. Other ones focus more on true crime stories. But today we're honing in on our wheelhouse children's birthday party drama. That's where we thrive. And I bring it up because there's a story that's actually been going viral on TikTok lately. I'm not sure if you guys have heard about it yet, but one of the people who was directly involved reached out to us saying, hey, I could really really use your help.
Speaker 2: Interesting that children's birthdays aren't in my algorithm.
Speaker 3: Jeffrey, Yeah, I don't know why. Let's talk to him though. His name is Richard. Richard, welcome to the Showy.
Speaker 1: You doing apparently better than you if you're viral on TikTok for an issue.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, I'm not the one viral, but my daughter was a part of it.
Speaker 3: Oh, so's not as good as your daughter. Yeah, not as bad as your daughter. Yeah, but it's not a good slag.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We shouldn't be slamming our listeners as soon as they ask us for help. Sorry about that, Richard, tell us, what's going on? You were involved with this birthday drama?
Speaker 4: How well, my daughter's seven years old and she was invited to this birthday party. So basically I had to drop her off at the mall, like in the food court. And what I understood that the plan was they were gonna go have lunch and do party activities and when then the group was going to head over to build a bear.
Speaker 3: Just a bunch of seven year olds freely figuring it out.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's like a build a bear party the birthday girl's mom was taking care of.
Speaker 1: Don't you love that age when your kids finally get to the drop off parties you don't have to stay any longer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a great I'll be back in a few hours. It's perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, sounds sounds like a good plan.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I go home and I come back in a few hours and there's my daughter just in tears. What I feared?
Speaker 2: She's crying?
Speaker 3: Oh, no, pretty standard for post seven year old birthday party.
Speaker 2: Though there's always one kid at the party. Yeah, I mean it stops that it's yours. I get it.
Speaker 4: Well, it was more than my kid, it was other kids too. They were all upset.
Speaker 5: Oh and wow, what the heck happened? Did Jeff show up into a parody song in the middle.
Speaker 3: Of the party?
Speaker 4: Laughing?
Speaker 3: Then what happened?
Speaker 4: So I got her in the car and asked what happened? She said that the mom forced all the girls to give their build of bears to the birthday girl.
Speaker 3: No way, wait?
Speaker 1: What like they went to a party and they made their own build a bear without knowing it was for the birthday girl.
Speaker 3: New that's so rude.
Speaker 5: I'm not even involved in the bear world or children's world, and I want to fight everyone right now.
Speaker 1: Why would the little birthday girl needs eleven stuffed animals?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Why would the mom do that?
Speaker 4: That's what I was asked to myself. So I contacted another mom who was involved, and she she couldn't believe it either. She was really upset. Wow.
Speaker 5: See, okay, so this is like the normal reaction.
Speaker 3: Everyone's agreed blindsided all of the parents, the children there obviously.
Speaker 2: I mean, what was the reason? Did you ever get to the bottom of that?
Speaker 4: Well? What she said was that the mom wanted each girl to build a bear so that like her daughter would remember each one of them by the bear that they built. They built for her.
Speaker 3: Was that was that laid out in like the invitation that all the kids were going to be building a bear for the birthday girl.
Speaker 4: No, no, my daughter thought she was getting the bear to bring home. I mean, okay, we already gave the gift.
Speaker 2: That is so weird. Okay, I mean you didn't pay for it, right, Like the mom.
Speaker 3: Paid for that question expensive?
Speaker 2: The birthday mom paid for everybody to.
Speaker 4: Make these Yeah, she did pay for the bill of bear period.
Speaker 3: Well, the birthday mom paid for the cake too, I'm assuming and she gave someone that away, so at least she's kind of generous.
Speaker 5: Okay, look, let me play advocate really quick. Think about it from the birthday girl, every one of those bears. Every night she goes to bed, it's like, this is Sarah's bear, this is Brooks bear, this is just her friends. And so that's just wanting to throw that out there.
Speaker 2: But how is a mother? Could you see all these children crying? I like, this is the choice. This is the choice I'm making.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying I see.
Speaker 4: Where maybe I think exactly what Brook thinks. All these girls had to stand in wine, they to make each bear, and then they were all the bears were ripped away from them at the end, a.
Speaker 5: Crying line of kids like here, it's so ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, So I have the lady's number. I want to contact her, tell her this is okay.
Speaker 3: An we want to call the mom of the birthday girl who set this up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to contact her and say it's not right, it's not okay, okay, give you a bear back?
Speaker 2: I mean, is that what you're going to ask for the bag.
Speaker 4: That would be a cherry on top. I don't expect it, but I just need her to know what she did was wrong. Okay, so I don't know how to say it. I want you guys to tell me what to say.
Speaker 3: Gotcha? So you want advice on how to call the mother of the birthday girl after the birthday is over, to tell her it's not cool that she made all of the children at the party build build a Bears and then give them all to her daughter at the very end.
Speaker 4: This is she's a build She's a build a Bear thief. I want to Okay.
Speaker 3: Not sure if the name calling will work, but we'll have some ideas for you when we come back.
Speaker 4: I'm calling you. I can't be trusted, all right.
Speaker 3: But remember when you're working to call when we'd come back for your awkward Tuesday phone call. Build a Bear edition. Just let's try and calm down a little bit. We're going to play a song and do it right after this.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure I can, but.
Speaker 3: I'll try.
Speaker 4: Hold on.
Speaker 3: It's awkward. It's awkward Tuesday phone call. I know. Brooke has said many times she loves it when other parents call and tell her she's doing a bad job of bothering.
Speaker 1: Text emails, direct messages, all of us.
Speaker 3: We do a whole segment time tell Brooks she's a bad mom.
Speaker 2: Oh God.
Speaker 3: But the thing is not everybody is as receptive to parental criticism as brook is. That's true. That's why our listener Richard needs our help today because he was upset after dropping his seven year old daughter off at a bild a Bear birthday party game and when he picked her up, his daughter was crying because the host mom made all of the children give their bill of Bears to the birthday girl as like a big happy gift to remember everybody bad. But there was some type of logic.
Speaker 2: I mean, we talk about core memories. This is definitely wy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're never gonna forget. But Richard's not the only parent who was upset by hearing this. He does want to be the one, though, who calls up the mom and lets her know that he thinks what she did wasn't really right. Yeah, So how does he politely deliver that message so the mom gets it? Let's go to our child's rearing expert, jose For Yes, Josell, what's your advice?
Speaker 5: Well, I would play vague here and just ask, hey, have you heard from any other parents about the party, because likely she's gonna say yeah, I have, And if not, you can just be like, I hear some of them are upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so passive aggression.
Speaker 3: I get what he's saying. That way, Richard doesn't have to own all of the anger, for he can share some of the blame with the parents. Richard, what do you think about that bully her?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, I mean what if she says I haven't heard anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, just then you can break the news I heard from one other Yeah, there you go, I heard from so and so. Good luck beating that advice.
Speaker 1: So honestly, Like, I know you heard from another parent what this mom's intentions were. But I if you want her to like understand what she did is wrong, I think that you need to have her explain why, like you haven't just asked her. I think you need to come in with an open mind. Nobody ever changes their mind if they're attacked. If you're on the defense, you are never going to see somebody's else's opinion.
Speaker 4: I feel like I see why she did it. She wanted this special moment strictly for her daughter.
Speaker 3: Okay, but maybe if you just ask her to say that, she'll realize how dumb it is coming out of her own mouth. I do that all the time. I'm starting to talk, I'm making a point, and I'm like, wow, that is really stupid. Well, you know what I'm I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: So you can choose either one of those pieces of advice or none, Richard, either one. We're gonna be here waiting to jump in if we feel like you need a little bit of help. I think you got it.
Speaker 4: Okay, as long as you're you were pretty.
Speaker 3: Heated yet five years.
Speaker 2: Don't get so upset. I mean, in the end, it's just a Teddy Bear. Those are nice expensive bears.
Speaker 3: Teddy Bear's twelve Teddy Bears.
Speaker 4: It's so much more than Yeah, okay, sorry, yeah, we don't.
Speaker 3: We don't want to get you all excited again. Stay calm. We're gonna dial this mom for you. Let you talk to her.
Speaker 4: Here we go. I don't try to keep going to control, right, you got this, buddy? Here we go? Hello? Hi this Megan?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Who's this?
Speaker 4: Hi? This is Richard. I'm Vanessa's dad. Oh yeah, okay, Hi, how are you hi? Good? First, off. I just wanted to thank you for inviting my daughter to the birthday party. No, no problem, that's refreshing. Well, I will say she had a really good time, but there was one little issue, and I'm just kind of wondering if you had feedback from other parents. Yeah, I've already had some other whiny parents call about this is So whatever you're about to say, just save it. So I'm assuming what you're talking about is the Build a Bear situation. Yeah, so I don't think any of you really understand that it was my child's birthday party. So I get to make the rules, right, You get to make the rules. Yeah, and with no regard to the other children's feelings. That was that one of the rules.
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I paid for all the bears, right, I don't. I didn't see your credit cards PLoP down on the desk at Build a Bear. It was mine. So you bought every one of their tears, is what you're saying? Tears? Oh my gosh, give me you purchased each was it was it build a teer. This was a birthday party, not a charity event to give bears to the Left Earth event. It was it was a labor camp. A labor girls to work. I'm not the only one who thinks this. All the parents are talking and they all kind of think you're a sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, go get together and report me to the build a bear police.
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 4: Done? Well, you should have them make a build of bear police bear and then just take that away too.
Speaker 1: Oh Burn, thank you?
Speaker 4: Ow that was her. You know what the truth is? You know who else thinks you a jerk? Everybody listening on the radio right now because you're on Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: What the hell is going on? Yeah? You just got outed for being a first glance jerk to the entire country.
Speaker 1: What the hell that.
Speaker 3: Was?
Speaker 2: Wasn't it outer for being an a hole?
Speaker 3: No color of labor camp? That was the funniest back and forth?
Speaker 4: Excuse me? Can anyone tell me what's going on? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, Megan, he wasn't lying. You actually are on the radio right now on Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. That's our show.
Speaker 2: It was for advice. We were trying to help the situation, not make it worse.
Speaker 4: What is this even? I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's a healing segment that we do about bringing parents together and kindly talking to each other.
Speaker 2: Rich Did he get that memo?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, Well it's actually called an awkward Tuesday phone call because we knew that this conversation wasn't going to be flawless. I don't think anybody expected it to nosedive like it did.
Speaker 2: That wild what happened, Richard? We told you to open my poll.
Speaker 4: I tried, I tried my best.
Speaker 2: That was your best.
Speaker 4: She was an a hole from the very beginning. She called every whiny was not wrong.
Speaker 3: But also, yeah, you got a practice being the bigger man in that situation, Richard. But I think it's too late for that now. So listen, Megan. Maybe the message didn't come across quite the way we wanted it to, but do you understand the sentiment behind it that there's a lot of parents that were upset by what happened because their children were crying at the end of the party. You must have noticed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry that they didn't teach their kids how to grasp the concept of party etiquette.
Speaker 4: It wasn't their birthdays.
Speaker 2: I know, well, I know, but I don't get it yet. And you said that.
Speaker 1: You didn't tell the kids at the beginning of the party that they were building a bear for the birthday girl.
Speaker 4: They're seven years old.
Speaker 3: They want to ruin the damn surprise. Oh oh my god. She does have a point a little bit there, but it's it's still it's not fair.
Speaker 1: Would these people also already brought gifts, Like they brought gifts already and that.
Speaker 2: Was something they put thought into of what your daughter would like.
Speaker 4: God, you sound like one of the damn whiny parents that call, even if.
Speaker 2: You still think you're right, which is fine, Like.
Speaker 1: You're gonna ruin your daughter's social life if you keep down this line. That's a good She's not going to get invited to birthday parties because of this good She doesn't want those kind of friends.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you get off.
Speaker 1: I hope you're proud of yourself for trying to drag a good mom down on live radio for we're trying to make her daughter happy.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's not tell her what a good mom.
Speaker 2: I don't know that that's true.
Speaker 3: Well, that doesn't matter. If you believe it, you should say it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that you're trying to make your daughter happy.
Speaker 3: Which you should try harder. With this apologies, that's.
Speaker 2: What we all want for our children.
Speaker 1: I just think that maybe the lesson of looking at others and putting others first is a good one too.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, thank you so much for all of the tips of how to be a good mother. How about I give you guys some advice, get real jobs.
Speaker 3: I'm trying. My mother gives me that same advice. You are a good mom.
Speaker 4: He works on radio anymore? Nobody?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that the point you keep laying down truth bombs, I'm I'm coming around on everyone else.
Speaker 5: Feel bad.
Speaker 3: I want to work in your labor camps so much you set up so give us I will cry.
Speaker 4: You know what, I don't care if she's a jerk. Everyone heard how much of a jerk she is. I kind of wish the girls could have given all the food back too, and vomited all over.
Speaker 3: But your slams to keep getting goes on.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't call that bad. It's also a bad pirate Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning