Speaker 1: Pushkin, tell me what we don't know about how smell works? Oh jeez, be sure to tell you what we do. This is Alex Wilscoe. He's the co founder and CEO of a company called Osmo, and despite his protests there he did tell me some of the things nobody knows about how smell works.
Speaker 2: Why do things smell the way that they do. Why can we smell certain things and not other things. What is the logic of how molecules are combined to create beautiful smells? Why do some smells create incredibly powerful emotional associations instantly and others seem neutral? Right? Why do something smell different to people? I think we have a hints in all these directions, but we have nothing like musical scale, where we have nothing like a periodic table. We don't know any structure to why things are the way that they are. It's a ton of mystery, and that's what makes it so exciting to work on this topic, is like there's so much we don't know, and to.
Speaker 1: Be clear, like with light, we just know whatever. If you tell me the frequency the wavelength, I can know exactly what color you're talking about, or the same thing with a wave form of sound, right, and so but if I give you some random molecule and say what does it smell like?
Speaker 2: Do you know? So that's what I've spent a lot of my professional life working on. It is exactly that question. Yeah, which is a draw structure of a molecule on a whiteboard, point out it and say, hey, what does this smell like wood or flowers or fruits or whatever? And so there is no way to know that for sure at all. But there's no good way even statistically to predict that without using large data sets, and at least in our hands. You need neural networks, you need deep sorting in order to do that. I'm Jacob Goldstein, and this is what's your problem?
Speaker 1: The show where I talk to people who are trying to make technological progress.
Speaker 2: Alex Wilch.
Speaker 1: Goo's problem is this, Can you use AI to teach computers to smell? And once you figured out how to do that, can you build a profitable business around it? Osmo's fun out of Google in twenty twenty three. The company recently launched a fragrance house to develop new perfumes. They've also done some work using scent to detect counterfeit shoes, and in the long run, they plan to use scent to diagnose disease. Before he started Osmo, Alex worked at Google as an AI researcher. Before that, he got a PhD at Harvard studying how mice respond to scent. But maybe the most important part of his bio came even earlier in his life, specifically when he was twelve years old and went off to summer camp in his home state, Texas.
Speaker 2: I was from a small town college station, and then most of the kids were from big towns like Houston and Dallas and Austin and San Antonio, and I hadn't really been exposed to, like I don't know fashion trends or you know, what was cool or popular. But everybody's all lumped together in summer camp. And then there is this thing called perfume that some of the richer, frankly richer and more popular kids had, And it was just amazing to me that these boys could spray themselves with this invisible mist, a clear mist, and then for the next four to six hours people around them would treat them differently, and that just blew my mind right, like there's no I can't I can see the clothes. Yeah, I can see how they act and walk and talk and how they you know, posture and all that, but I cannot see the fragrance. Yeah, but yet it is obviously doing something magical. It's like an.
Speaker 1: Axe body spray ad what what does that cause you to do?
Speaker 2: When I get home, beg my parents to buy and fail. We shopped at TJ Max and I started to really look out for fragrances there and then it just kind of snowballs from there, which I just realized there was like a whole lot of these things. I guess what, you can just try them, and some of them are actually way better and more opinionated and more beautiful. I don't I didn't have the vocabulary then, but like it just it was clear to me early on that like I never really thought about who made the clothes, but I started to think about who made these perfumes, because it was clear that there were choices that were being made. And like I just remember trying, and this is years later, trying Bulgari black, which really kind of clued me into this world. Bulgary black is not necessarily a great fragrance, but you can experience the top, middle and base notes in like forty minutes. Forty five minutes is pretty short, and so like a bigger fragrance, like a creed, events will last on your skin for a day, and so the whole fragrance unfolds. I mean, top notes will last max Fifteen thirty minutes, but the heart might last for several hours, and the base note might last for ten hours. Right, so it smells different.
Speaker 1: You can still smell it, but it smells different whatever an hour after.
Speaker 2: You put it on and four hours after that, because a great fragrance is actually many different fragrances within it. Yeah, Right, There's the first one which peels off or that quickly burns off quickly. There's the second fragrance, which is the heart note, which will last for you know, sometimes hours, but in this case, like another twenty minutes. And then the base note, which is a third fragrance, which is what's left after those two burn off. And it's like three acts of a movie, right, I think it's quite beautiful. So how do we.
Speaker 1: Get from you being a teenager preoccupied with fragrance to you using AI to predict how malls will smell?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the computer part was always different from the fragrance part I just I love computers. We always had computers at home. I started programming around I don't know, eight years old. It was my life, Like, my entire life was computers for a long time, still lose in a way, and fragrance was not a part of it. I got into you know, statistics, which became machine learning around the same time. Again for totally independent reason. There's this thing called the Netflix Prize. It was like one of the first competitions to build great mL algorithms. I competed.
Speaker 1: Now, that's basically to tell me what else I'll like on Netflix, right, That's what that contaest was. Like, if I've watched whatever, if I watched Succession and the Sopranos, what should I watch next?
Speaker 2: Then you're gonna like another kind of dark, but you know, funny, kind of soap opera type of a thing, exactly. And so Netflix did a really bold thing, which is they released a data set and said, here's what good looks like, here's how we measure it. Have at it. And they paid a million dollars to the Winter, which was a combination of a few teams. But what they really did is they brought a particular kind of machine learning into the forefront called collaborative filtering. Really showed that this stuff worked, and by the way, other companies were already racing to use this, So like this recommended systems was a big thing, but Netflix was putting it out into the public and allowed a kid like me I think I was eighteen or nineteen years old to actually compete and pretty well in that. And so I just got exposed to this world through that and it was super fun. I mean they gamified it and had I had a blast. So that was my first exposure to machine learning.
Speaker 1: Turned out to be a good time to start working on machine learning, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Totally, because if I had started now, they wouldn't let me in because that's probably ten years ago. Yeah, ten years ago. Yeah. And then, you know, I was doing my undergraduate training in neuroscience, and I was studying more behavior than old action because it actually turned out that olf action was a hyper specialized sub field of neuroscience. I didn't realize how niche it was. I loved smell and I was doing neuroscience, and I knew I wanted to do smell neuroscience the fancy word for nactual factory neuroscience. And so there's really two universities in the world that like have a critical mass of these researchers. It's Columbia and it's Harvard, and I applied to both. I went to Harvard, and I realized nobody cares about this problem. Nobody cares about why molecules smell the way that they do. There's a much longer conversation as so why that's the case and why that's still persistent. Now that's changing. Well, let me ask you this. Let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: At that time, I mean I get it as a basic research question.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: We was talking with the producer and editor of this show, and we were getting ready for this interview, and we had this interesting conversation talking about scent and what you're working on whatever. And then I went down and I saw my daughter, and so, what are you organized? Said this guy who's trying to figure out scent and teach computers to smell?
Speaker 2: And she said why, I said, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I ask, so why was it compelling to I get it as a basic research question, but at that time was like, there were there applications that came to your mind.
Speaker 3: Look, the the steps of development of this thing that's now OSMO went through those different iterations.
Speaker 2: You know, I started as an academic scientist and I was trained in that world, and then I left and it did some entrepreneurship, but it ended up in industrial research, and they're like being curious, frankly was enough, and the idea this is this is Google, this is now a Google Brain. Yeah, and there's a few steps in between.
Speaker 1: But basically as you're an AI researcher at Google at.
Speaker 2: This moment when you're doing industrial research, right, yeah, exactly, and Google Brain at the time now it's Google Deep Mind very much had like a thousand flowers bloom mentality, and so people were working on crazy stuff, including me working on something Bell Labs.
Speaker 1: It's basically like Bell Labs of the twenty first century, right, you.
Speaker 2: Have it, exactly, Bell Labs, Erox Park, that kind of avid and it truly was dreamy, sounds dreamy. It was awesome, right, And it was also a moment in time, and now I think that moment's going for better or for worse. The idea was pretty straightforward for Google, which was, are the products at Google know what the world looks like and know what the world sounds like, and that's useful. Right, that's information that Google's organizing. If we knew what things smelled and tasted like, that would be useful, right. Uh huh.
Speaker 1: The original mission of Google is organized the world's information, right.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and make it universally accessible and useful. And there was a whole slice of reality, huh, the chemical slice of reality that was invisible, right, not just to Google but two computers. Yeah. Yeah, and that felt really important, and we had agreement and buying all the way up to the executive level. They're like, yeah, let's go, let's go look at that.
Speaker 1: So you're doing a like basic AI research at Google and you decide to see if you can basically use AI to figure out scent, to say, here's a molecule, what does it smell like?
Speaker 2: Right, that's the basic endeavor. How do you do that? What is it that you actually do? Yeah, so first it starts to innovation, which I was like, let's figure out smell. But it actually was a lot more natural than I think it sounds, which is scent is just chemistry. It's molecules, and we got to do AI for molecules. Right. If we're going to do AI for scent, and the thing that had happened in between. You know, there's a five year period between my academic life and my industrial life, and what had happened in those five years is actually some of the people I did my PhD with and then some of the people I ended up working with at Google Brain really cracked machine learning or AI for molecules. But they didn't do it for scent. They did it for a few other things. They did for drug discovery, and they did it for like materials discovery, so like new materials for LEDs.
Speaker 1: Right, So you happen to be doing essentially basic research at Google at this moment when there is this new way to use AI that is well suited to molecules, and you say, we can do let's do it, Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can do it. The other pieces are great. You got the algorithm. Where's the data? Classic? That's the classic AI question, right, like, exactly where's the data? What I did know just from being obsessed and in this world for a long time prior to that, there were these collections of data sets that were honestly really more like magazine catalogs for fragrance ingredients, and so there were these catalogs basically saying this is the ingredient, this is the molecular structure of this ingredient, and here's what it smells like. And by the way, the rating of what it smells like was done by a professional, by a perfumer. And so the special sauce that we added is we we went and we got that data and we fused a few data sets together, and we cleaned it very carefully, and that that hadn't been done.
Speaker 1: And it's something it's like five thousand dish right, it's five thousand or so different molecules.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, exactly. And here is this the one with the list. I love the list. Here I have it.
Speaker 1: This the one sweet fruity, vanilla, powdery, fluoral, barry, fermented, nutty ozone, buttery musk.
Speaker 2: It's it's that lispright. Those are they? And there's one hundred and thirty eight of those descriptors I think that we used in that data set. Sometimes we use smaller subsets, but the full set originally is about one hundred and forty.
Speaker 1: So okay, so you have your whatever, your five thousand molecules labeled with one hundred and forty different sets. You train your AI model on this data set, and then you want to find out does the model work?
Speaker 2: Does the AI work right?
Speaker 1: If I give the model some new molecule molecule that wasn't in the training data, will it know what that molecule smells like? And to test that to answer that question, you actually.
Speaker 2: Do this study.
Speaker 1: So you get a bunch of people to smell these molecules that are not that your model was not trained on, essentially right, and say what it smells like? It's weird like what? You don't actually care what it fundamentally smells like. You just care what everybody on average thinks it smells.
Speaker 2: Like, because guess what, that's what it's what smell is? Yeah, that's what do you think of smell? Yeah? Ye?
Speaker 1: So you asked this panel to what do all these molecule smell like? And then you ask the model what do they smell like? And you compare the results and how does the model do?
Speaker 2: That was really the threshold of breakthrough in my mind was like are you worse than a person? Yeah? Or are you slightly better than a person? And we got slightly better than a person, which was a breakthrough in my view.
Speaker 1: Right, and so yes, so that paper you published in Science and you started Ozmo kind of around the same time, Right, you started that study at at Google, is that right? And then by the time it was published you had spun Osmo out of Google, right, that's right. So you have this map, you have this model that can basically given a molecule, predict pretty well what the average person thinks that molecule smell like. But there's still a second problem, right, which is, in the world, in the wild, you don't know what molecules are in the air. You don't you know what molecules somebody's smelling. And so for that second problem, you need to try and build some kind of automated system for figuring out what molecules are in the air at a given that's correct.
Speaker 2: Getting to one molecule structure is actually not trivial. So to go from a physical thing and know all the molecular structures like not a solveable. So there's a lot of ways to do that. There's a lot of chemical sensors out there, none of them will just tell you the formula, right, So that's hard, really hard.
Speaker 1: So there's like a chemistry problem of like isolating the molecule basically and deriving the chemical formula.
Speaker 2: Exactly taking a real smell and it's composed of a bunch of different molecules with different structures, and there's different amounts, there's ratios. You got to get that recipe out of the air. So that's on. That's hard. That was unsolved at the time to do it in an automated way. And by the way, if we're following this story chronologically, we hadn't done this yet, agah, but we knew we had to do that, right, So we knew that, Okay, if we wanted to actually digitize the world of scent and have a record of what the world smelled like and maybe even replay it, we're going to have to do this. We needed to automate that and have it be automatic, and that's what we did.
Speaker 1: So basically, you can put any smell into the machine and it'll tell you what it's made of. At this point, oh yeah, so you're setting out to start OSMO, Like, what are you thinking of in terms of the set of potential commercial applications.
Speaker 2: So we really had we had three in mind, and there's still very much present in mind the focuses has become a lot crisper though in terms of what we're concentrating on. We know the fragrance industry is huge and very profitable, and it's also something I personally love. That's a thing we want to automate and understand. And then we know that dogs can detect things, right, and so we know dogs can detect harmful substances like drugs or bombs, or things that just shouldn't be there, like produce where it shouldn't be being shipped. And then we also know that dogs and even in some cases people can detect health or disease states. Right. We know that missus Milner, a nurse in the UK, was able to smell Parkinson's disease and she's since been able to teach that skill to other people, which is really amazing. And then we figured out all the chemistry of what's actually being smelled. We know that there's many many instances where there is a scent signature to a disease or to a wellness or to a health state that hasn't yet been fully figured out, right, but we know that they exist. Those are the three, right, So fragrance industry really security and supply chain and health and wellness, and I view them in that order because that's like the order in which I think we can be useful to the world. Right, Designing fragrances is something that's much more attainable technically, and frankly, it's just a great, much faster sales cycle to be business to be in than ultimately diagnostics, which are so hard. Right, I mean, it is my north star. It's like where I want to take the company. But I also have no illusions about how hard that is, and I just I've seen all the failures of the companies that have attempted it, and I think I've learned from what hasn't worked, and so I'm incorporating those learnings into how I want to build the company, which is, build a great business in fragrance, build beautiful fragrances for the world, and then strike out from that position of strength and to even more ambitious frontiers. We'll be back in just a minute.
Speaker 1: When I first heard about the work Alex was doing at OSMO, I understood why it would be useful for sensing. Basically, you might be able to build automate sniffing machines that could say detect cancer in a person or detect a bomb in a suitcase. But I couldn't figure out truly what the business case was for perfume. And in fact Osmo has recently launched a perfume business. It's called Generation. So I asked Alex, why is using AI and fancy machines? Why is that better than just designing perfume in the traditional way.
Speaker 2: We can go from the first kind of client demand. So, hey, I want to create a fragrance, and here's who my brand is, here's what I want to do. So just that description to a starting place of a fragrance in a minute or two.
Speaker 1: What happens at a traditional perfumer when somebody comes in with that request.
Speaker 2: Well, so let's say you're an emerging Let's say you're an emerging brand, right, So you're starting out or you have your first product and you want to add a second one. But you're small, right, You're not making a billion dollars in revenue. You're making less than that. So if you want to make a new custom fragrance, good luck. Right, you're not going to be able to get the attention of the big fragrance houses because they want a service business that's like millions and millions of dollars and you're not big enough yet. So if you want a great custom fragrance that your consumers are going to love, and you want to do it quickly so you're responding to trends, you aren't going to be able to get it done. So you have to make compromises, right, So if you want to move fast, you're gonna have to use a regurgitated fragrance. It's also called a library fragrance, which means somebody else in the market has your spell.
Speaker 1: I'm imagining that people who sell it call it a library fragrance rather than a regurgitated library fragrance.
Speaker 2: They do, they don't say regurgitated, but that's what it effectively is, right fair.
Speaker 1: Regurgitated does have a particular old factory connotation, so it's a level.
Speaker 2: It's vic or all sticks in the mind.
Speaker 1: What like, And I'm not I just genuinely don't understand, Like, why can't somebody just have a company with a bunch like who knows the molecules? You know, who knows what the five thousand milecules in the book smell like? Because they've got the book and they can just use the book and be like, oh, you want this, let's try that.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean? Like, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I.
Speaker 1: Genuinely don't understand why you need the technology to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I genuinely didn't understand this either. And there's there's a class of professional called a perfumer, and their job is to do what you're describing, which is, Hey, I know all these ingredients and I'm going to make them in order to create your fragrance. So they typically there's no perfumer that knows five thousand ingredients, but the best perfumers know a thousand or two thousand ingredients. Most perfumers work with two hundred, one hundred, two hundred ingredients. So already there, like where we're there is very few people in the world that can do what you're saying. Yeah, they can do, and then how what are they going to work on? Right? So it might take them weeks or months to create a fragrance. They're working on a few at a time. Why would they work on an emerging brands fragrance when they can go work on a much larger account. So there's just very very limited number of people who can engage in the fragrance creation process, because it is difficult. It's not so much identifying, Hey, all these molecules smell this particular way, and therefore I should be able to mix them, Like what ratios do you mix them in? Like? What are the rules? Right? And now you're actually getting into designing a system which understands sent well enough to create new fragrance formulas, is starting places, and then of course a perfumer finished system. But you're right, it's like, oh, why shouldn't that exist? And then when you actually start to peel back the layers one by one, you realize, oh, you actually have to build what we built. It's actually in order to answer that question.
Speaker 1: So presumably now your model cannot only predict what one molecule is going to smell like, but it can predict the combination of molecules. I mean, is it predicting? Does it know concentration? Like does it know oh yeah, yeah, how good is it?
Speaker 2: I mean you have a perfumer on staff? Why? Well, I think the goal of tools is to have them in the hands of creatives. And there's many steps to perfumery, but I think there's three that are relevant for what we're talking about. The first is a perfumer when they're when they're starting on a project, they have to have a starting place, they have a starting formula, and then they do their creative work step two to evolve that formula to exactly what the customer wants, to a creative expression that the lights the consumer as well. That's the funnest part. Perfumers love that that is actual creation in the creative part. Number three is then it has to be the right price. It has to be compliant with with a regulatory compliance. There cannot be allergens, all that stuff that's more like sound engineering than it is composition or being a rock star. Steps one, the starting place, step three, all the regulatory requirements. That's where we spend the most energy in building these tools. And then a perfumer is the person that is taking the formulas from starting place to creative endpoint and then handing it off for like regulatory finishing. And they're just way more effective with these.
Speaker 1: Tools, at least for now, right Like, that's the way I feel using an LLM, like I feel like I have a window and me Plus the LLM is better than the LLM alone and we haven't. That window hasn't closed yet, but I'm not optimistic about my long term prospects.
Speaker 2: We'll see though, I mean, but like listen, I honest belief here, like the tools will get better, but the drive to create will never go away. And I think people will always want to know about the person behind the creation in a way, and it's not uniforms. So I don't think people want to know the perfumer behind the hand soap in the gas station. They just don't, right it. But there I think will always be room for craft and creative use of tools, and the profession that uses those tools might change radically, in the industry in which those tools are used might change radically, but the tools will always be wielded by people, but the work that's being done might be unrecognizable. So you know, we'll see how the world evolves. But like I just like AI is like an engine, it's just a technologist, just a tool.
Speaker 1: So what's the what's the business model? Just briefly for generation, like how what you know?
Speaker 2: What's the model? The business model really simply is we all design the fragrance for you and then you'll buy that fragrance to put in your products or will even actually create the full finished product. We'll put in a bottle for you if you if you want. We are behind the scenes. We're an engine supporting brands. We're not a brand ourselves, and we're here to make beautiful fragrance products for for brands. So what's the frontier like you have?
Speaker 1: You know, on the business side, the generation is kind of the central thing you're working on now, but on the more on the on the research side, like what are you trying to figure out?
Speaker 2: Now? What are you working on now? So there's there's our starting place, which is why does this molecule smell the way that it does? And we can never stop getting better at that. Then there's the next question of why does this mixture of molecule smell the way that it does? And we can never stop getting better at that. And then there's do you like it? Which is maybe the most important question from a business perspective, or who likes it? And in what context? Yeah, exactly exactly, which is it's not just the formula as the input to this model, but there's also who you are, what are your experiences, where are you from, what are the other things in your life that you've got.
Speaker 1: That actually goes back to your Netflix collaborative. It gets me like if I watched Succession and the Sopranos and I'm fifty and.
Speaker 2: Then what's the cologne for me? Yeah? Exactly. And so I was very fortunate to be able to start this company with a guy work with at Twitter name. His name is Rich Witcombe. He's our chief technology officer. His whole professional life has been recommended system. So he was a lead on Spotify's song recommenders system US. So if you like your wrapped playlist or recommended playlist, like, that's his code. And then he also worked on self driving cars at Nvidia. But he's been in this world of like, hey you like these things, what about this thing? Or here's the inputs that the system is getting. What do I do nowt so really really deep into that world. Then we're kind of bringing that spirit, that mindset to sent into fragrance.
Speaker 1: And then what about beyond you know, for the parts of your work that are the next steps that you alluded to farther in the distance, the essentially sensing right, sensing for security, sensing for health, Like what work are you doing now toward that end?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So we're incubating this right now. So I'll tell you two things. So one is, we have a partner, We've deployed sensors out in the field. We're detecting inauthentic or counterfeit goods. It's working. What's really the second thing I'll say is it's we've learned something really interesting, which is the molecules that smell really good and fruits and flowers and vegetables that we have to understand to create fragrance are the same molecules in counter for luxury goods and the same molecules in our scent. And by getting really good at understanding and designing fragrance in one domain in the fragrance industry, we're actually strengthening this platform that we're building to get really good at the next frontiers of security detection. And then ultimately, what we care about is healthy. So that's what really surprised us as I thought that by working in fragrance, we're making a trade off, which is we're here to build a great business to make ourselves resilient so that we can work on the much longer haul problems. But in reality, we're making progress on those problems by teaching our platform about what the world smells like. And it's all one it's just scent, it's just molecules in the air. And so the more we learn about really any piece of what the world smells like, the better we get at all of it. I think I'll tell you what I think the big technical frontier is is predicting emotion. Ah, that's interesting. Uh huh. So when you smell something, you obviously perceive something like the first thought or first perception is whatever, fresh cut grass or grapefruit. But then there's another thing that happens almost at the same time, which is I remember or I feel a particular thing. And predicting that is something I don't think anybody's really figured out. But is a beautiful frontier. Well, how do you get the data? You got to ask a lot of people how they feel, what they smell a lot of things, and they have to be able to articulate it. Right.
Speaker 1: Part of the thing with scent is it's so primordial that, like, you might not even be able to say how you feel, so you need in the computer interface.
Speaker 2: You might you might, But turns out we have voices and faces that are effectively BCIs there's a lot of information that leaks out of us all the time. And that was what my PhD was in, is how do you interpret body language in a way that makes sense? And by the way, the body language I worked on most closely was body language driven by odors, right, things that make I studied this in animals, but makes animals happy or sad or afraid or calm, And you can read that out. I mean, our behaviors are meant to communicate to other animals. Right, We're very social, we're social species. So I think there's more fundamentals that we have to figure out. But this is I think there's some really fundamental stuff that's still unknown here.
Speaker 1: I heard you say in another interview that you worry sometimes that you'll hit some barrier in nature to your work, and you said it in passing. But I was very curious about that.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? I always think about that, which is like, what day will it be when mother nature says you can't figure the next hard thing out? And I just look at this from the history of science. You know, how if somebody cared about how the planets were moving in twelve hundred, well good luck, Like you don't have the right telescopes, you don't have tycho brahe. There's a bunch of stuff you're gonna need, right, And so in a way, it's like mother nature and what our society and species knows conspiring together that basically says progress will have to wait. And so I think about that. I worry about that all the time. And so my mental framework that keeps me super humble is like, I'm just thankful for all the progress we've been able to make. That the tools were around right. So I didn't invent graph neural networks. I didn't even invent the data sets like we are piecing together and curating, cobbling together. All these were standing on the shoulders of so many people and it's just always been the case, and I don't know, it just it makes Maybe this is too philosophical, but for me, when I've been up close and personal with scientific progress, either that I've had a part in or I've observed other people do, it all feels so tenuous. It feels so lucky because once you really dig into the details, you realize, oh my gosh, they had to be right there at that time and have known about that thing.
Speaker 1: It's amazing that anything happens, whether you think of how confut is everything.
Speaker 2: The amazing that anything happens, and you know, when you really dig in, you're like, wow, how does anything good happen at all? But nonetheless you persist. And also I think you can create the conditions where it's more likely than not to happen. And so that's what OZMO is, and that's why OSMO Birth Generation is, like, let's create an environment where we're much more likely than not to make both the scientific progress we need to make, but also like really help and change the fragrance industry, which, by the way, will teach us the things we need to know to get to the next thing. So I think there's so much beauty to create in the fragrance industry that I'm going to just enjoy the heck out of it and do it for the rest of my life. But I think it's going to teach us things that will allow us to do even more audacious work in the future.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a minute with the lightning round. M let's finish with the lightning round. I'm gonna ask you.
Speaker 2: A bunch of questions.
Speaker 1: Now, what seemingly pleasant scent do you never want to smell again.
Speaker 2: Seemingly pleasant scent that I never want to smell again. Artificial cherry. It was the cough syrup that I was forced to drink as a kid, and I'm super sensitive to it. The molecules ethyl moltole do not like, are you wearing fragrance right now? And if so, what is it? I am not. I stopped wearing as soon as I started the company because I needed to smell, of course, but like, what's your what's your? Well, give me give me a pick. Name some fragrance that's that you love for some reason. So I really like this is kind of a basic choice from folks inside the industry. I love Terrator Maz. It's like the RMEZ flagship men's fragrance. It's by a perfumer, Jean Claude Eleena. I really love his work.
Speaker 1: Basic Is that like basic in the way of saying it's like if I asked you for a watch and you said a Rolex Submarine or something.
Speaker 2: It's just like exactly or saying, like what pop music do you like? You said Taylor Swift. People like it because it's great, Huh, Taylor Swift is great? A Rolex watch is a great watch. Terrtormnz is a great fragrance, but it's very popular. What is it about it that you love? I love it's minimalism and I just happen to like the notes, right, So it's really heavy on a molecule. I like iso be super. I think it's a great highlight of that ingredient and it just wears really well on my skin. So that was what I used to wear almost every day before I stopped. What's your second favorite sense? My second favorite sense is probably gonna be It's a hard between vision and hearing because I love music, but I like looking at stuff too, Like the World World of Beautiful are more expensive. Perfumes actually better sometimes, right, So I think there's just like anything like bicycles or art, as you start to pay more, everything gets better.
Speaker 1: And then at Plato's right, what's the worst thing you ever smelled?
Speaker 2: I have a memory. I picked a mushroom that I thought looked cool and wanted to show it to my dad when I was young, and I forgot about it and it was just turned completely gross.
Speaker 1: I had a version of that, of bringing shells home from the beach that were alive.
Speaker 2: It turned out I found out when they were dead. It's like great intentions, but didn't really have wherewithal to thick that through or understand the consequences.
Speaker 1: Alex Wiltscow is the co founder and CEO of OSMO. Today's show was produced by Gabriel Hunter Chang. It was edited by Lyddya jen Kott and engineered by Sarah Bruguer. You can email us at problem at Pushkin dot FM. I'm Jacob Goldstein, and we'll be back next week with another episode of What's Your Problem.