Speaker 1: Alone media.
Speaker 2: Welcome to it, kidap to hear a podcast about ice training desk squads. I guess I'm your host via Wong. I guess I don't know if formerly or better is the correct word, but sometimes also not as the ice was be destroyed. Girl, So I'm mad about this one with me? Is someone else's extremely bad about the existence of ice, which is James Yep, I'm here.
Speaker 3: I'm mad as a waste. I guess, just another Monday. Yeah, this shit sucks, This does suck. Yeah, you know, I had this realization.
Speaker 2: I get this on Twitter a lot, where I realized that there are people who don't know what ICE is because they're like, they're not from the US, or they're like, yeah, so ICE is immigrations and customs enforcements. The shortest description of what they are is that they are one of the like four American border gestapos.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The number of agencies under DHS is fucking baffling. They're constantly rebranding every time they have a scandal or they kill too many people. That, yeah, ice is kind of their flagship evil program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they like they do raids on fucking houses, they do raised on businesses, They suck. Like if you vaguely remember, there was a whole bunch of protests in like twenty eighteen over this stuff, and that was mostly anti ICE stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if someone's getting deported, it's ICE for the most part doing it. Like Yeah, they also run detention centers where people go, you know, they work with Jeff Bezos on deporting people.
Speaker 2: Oh my fucking god. Okay, I just remembered a story I had. I had a flashback to standing in a protest, a very very large protest in twenty eighteen. This is one of like the big pro immigrant rallies. And in this fucking protest, I saw a thing for this group called Heartland Alliance. Now pro people who probably don't outside of Chicago probably don't know what this is. The Heartland Alliance runs like fucking child prisons facilities like for ICE school, and they were at this protest against ICE. Fucking it was the worst. That shit was terrible. You know, this whole thing is all extremely bad. But what we've been learning more details about recently is this program called Citizens Academies, which is run by ICE's Homeland Security Investigations. I didn't think HSI was under ICE. I thought HSI was a different branch of DHS. I might be wrong, but they used to be under ICE as far as I know, and then they became HSI. Okay, I might be wrong about that because the stuff that I was reading was saying that they are still part of ICE, but they might not be. It's also possible that it's literally has gone back and forward multiple times in the last Yeah, this is merecrareck. Things fucking suck, But HSI also does, like a lot of the times, there's some of the people who like do like physically the people on the ground doing a raid will be HSI, like fucking stormtroopers whatever. Yeah, they do arrests.
Speaker 3: Yeah, often they appear in like these joint counter terrorism task forces, like when they especially when they're doing stuff with like drugs and that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the civilian academies are I think really the only way you can describe them, even though this is not how it's being described, really is that they're treating random people to like become desk what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's what's interesting is like the protest that you talked about seem to have been the sort of reason that they started this program, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to rewind this a little bit because they started in the US as a reaction to those protests, like specifically as like a pr thing. But the original version of these programs started in Puerto Rico under Obama.
Speaker 3: Look, we don't give Obama or anything like enough shit, right, Like fucking Obama just like in terms of killing people, in terms of deporting people, fucked up human being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was the deporter in chief and like, yeah, part of what's sort of brutal about the mom administration is like a lot of his support had been from like the huge undocumented that could have like peaked in like two thousand and six, and he comes in on this and they just fucking deports everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as Democrats too every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're seeing it again with Biden. Right, It's like it's the same sort of process. And under under Obama these these programs start. There's specifically, as you're talking about, there's specifically supposed to be these like training programs are supposed to be for community.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so this is and this is one of these things.
Speaker 2: Was like this is what they say that it's for, and given what they're doing, I don't know how much I believe them what they're what they say that it's for is it's because there's been all of these anti ICE things, Like, I mean, there's lots of people who now are like, don't say shit about ice, who like, like, AOC hasn't fucking said anything about abolishing ICE in like half a decade, right, and she ran on that. Yeah, because of how powerful those social movements were. I mean, there's like Sean mcguey whatever the fuck guy whose whole thing was abolish ice and then he became a Democratic staffer and now it never talks about it again, and he's like my absolute wordal nemesis, like I will face at the end of days. Yeah, I will destroy his fucking traitors ass and yeah, many many, many such cases. But yeah, Like, and I think probably peak like anti ice sentiment was in the Trump era, right when people, Yeah, people started to look at immigration as the way that like people have immigrant communities and diasporas see it, right, which is this thing that tears families apart, that destroys communities, that rich children from their parents, and people obviously recognized it was bad. And then Biden got in and the Democrats had to do this like kind of cover your eyes and turn away thing where they continue to do the same shit. Kids and cages are good now, Yeah, yeah, yeah in cages great democratic kids and cage is incredible.
Speaker 3: What if no cage is? What do we just leave them out in the fucking mountains and James's friend have to feed them beans will winter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But the thing is, in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, it's not entirely clear that the Democrats are going to swing that way. No, And so you get these programs and what's interesting about them, and so a lot of this is coming from that. There's a very very good piece by Barrizio Guerrero indocumented who got a bunch of Foya documents about this program and what they.
Speaker 3: Were actually doing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that he discovers about this is that it's like a lot of rich guys. Like it's some of them are like really rich. It's also it's a lot of like bank employees.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That was a funny almost, I guess kind of it got through that little social circle or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like there's this sort of feed in program that sends people into this.
Speaker 3: And I actually I realized I had.
Speaker 2: Vaguely known about these but didn't quite understand how bad it was because he didn't have a bunch of the documents we have now. But this was a big thing in Chicago in twenty twenty one, where there was proposed to open one of these things. It's like these like training centers for these like fucking people. Oh yeah, and you know, twenty twenty one was still in Chicago. There was still like like there's some protest stuff going on because I mean there's you know, like twenty twenty hadn't quite faded yet. And there was also like our cops We've talked about this a couple times on the show, but like shot a fucking fourteen year old, like yeah, it's fucking murdered him cold blood. And the protests were bad enough that like even lower Lightfoot was like like fuck this, like this is this Trump ice stuff.
Speaker 3: We can't let them do it.
Speaker 2: This was back with the when like these people like the Democrats were started pretending that they didn't like all of these like federal deportation machine things. But the things that we have now are we have the actual this is like I think were the public most valuable part of this whole thing is that we actually have a bunch of the documents now of what they were showing people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd love to see the fucking Foyer fight for this because I have foyed the Department of Homeland Security a lot and getting any Like I have a fire out right now regarding the CBP one and the fact that it doesn't work on non Apple phones, and they very clearly know this, right like, if I know it, they know it, And I would love to know if that was from the outset that they knew and they just didn't give a fuck, Like I would like to see those emails regarding it doesn't work on Samsung. I think I think they got it from a court order. Oh okay, so they went to court to get Yeah yeah, yeah, every like people, Freedom Information Act is great. It only works if you have a lawyer who's prepared to sue over it like that is the especially with DHS. You're just not like, yeah, I've got stuff, so I found in twenty twenty. They'll just kick it down, kick can down the road, like yep, I'm not going to get it, but yeah, kudos to them for doing it. Yeah, it's so hard if you are a First Amendment lawyer, hit me up. But okay, the ship that's in this one of these things. The first page of this is maybe the most deranged chart I have ever seen in anything. Which is it is It is.
Speaker 2: A picture of a naked human body, is the friends and back of it, right, And they've labeled all of the parts of the body by and they've been so we only have a black and white version of this, but they've they've been they've been labeled by how effective it is to hit someone there with the baton?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And they're like green in the in the actual document, they're green, yellow, and red. I guess, uh. And then it says like reasoning for the red one, I'll just read it highest level of resultant trauma injury tends to range from serious to lung lasting rather than temporary, and may include unconsciousness, serious body injury, shock, or death. So I guess like it's saying like, don't hit them in the in the in the red area. No, that's the thing. That's the thing. They're not saying that, They're just saying, these are your options.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is so part of this is supposed to be part of like a force escalation thing. But the point of this is that it is actually like they're trying to explain force escalation, and the thing is that like, yeah, you actually can do this, but you can only do this if you're in like the highest level of force escalation or whatever. Okay, and if any of you have ever been around a cop, you know, but those people jump to the highest level of force escalation at like, yeah, a fucking again, we have literally seen an acorn drop and it can't be able to do this, right, and so and so what they're what they're teaching these people, and this is like I think, like Jenny widely horrifying.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, they are.
Speaker 2: Teaching these people like the specific technical details of how you like fucking maim someone with a baton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I meant to reading the force escalation this is and they actually did physical training right, like I think they did weapons training. I think they did a bunch of a bunch of simulation kind of exercises. And then if you if you scroll down, this is like a PowerPoint for those listening at home. They gave an overview of like use of force to include a bunch of Supreme Court cases. I think that Supreme Court cases is certainly yeah, Supreme court cases about use of force. None of these apply to you as a civilian, and you know, like unless you're a sworn law enforcement officer, I guess I'm not entirely sure like what the use case for civilian baton training is aside from like well, I mean my guess.
Speaker 2: And this is the way I've been like sort of looking at this program is that this is the thing partially being designed for PR, but it's partially also being designed to create parabilitaries that if you're in a situation like twenty twenty but about the border, for example, you suddenly have all of these people that you could just fucking call up because like part of what's going on with this too record you remember, like actually, I guess it is, funnily enough, like we are we are the only two of the four hosts who didn't end up having to deal with fucking Bortak getting deployed in Portland in twenty twenty. But Bortak is border patrols like swat teams. Yeah, basically yeah, there are stated reason is like, oh, so this is this so you understand what it's like to like be one of these people, how hot it is to be a cop and well, like I think the actual reason again is so that you could you're training a bunch of people who you can just sort of call up and be like, we need a bunch of people to come like fucking obliterate a bunch of like protesters or whatever, help them do mass deportations. Yeah, which is another thing because like part of what this is too is they're teaching them to do like raids on houses, right, and like how do how do like physically fucking deport people?
Speaker 3: So this is yeah, like like Trump era ICE, which were where there were open discussions of how many people can we deport, how much will it cost, how easy will it be?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like right now, like Trump is like his big one of his big things is mass deportations. But I think people don't realize that the only reason that this stuff didn't happen under Trump was that pushback to it was so enormous. Yeah, that like like there are democrats now who are screaming about the border, who in like twenty eighteen were like sanctuary cities, ICE can't do raids here, and sometimes which were sometimes that wasn't Yeah, but like there was real systemic pushback to this, and I think like we're heading to a place where there isn't a kind of reaction to this anymore, where this can get really really scary really quickly. And these are the kinds of programs that you would need in order to just do actual master importations. Is that like yeah, like Ice doesn't have enough people, Like they have a lot of people, but they don't have enough people to deport like several million people.
Speaker 3: You need people like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the scale of this program is kind of small, but this is something that can be scaled up right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: To try and extremely large numbers of people, like fairly quickly. Yeah, you know what, it reminds me of Maya products and services and support this podcast does. Yeah, all right, I hope you enjoyed this. Products and seven suits way back. We let's go do like the other thing they were fucking doing. Oh yeah, it's more Jesus wept. So I want to quote from the article, yeah. Quote.
Speaker 2: Documents also contain presentations on how to shoot a gun, point at targets, and stand in position to fire. The shooting practices include military style of rifles likewise, A training in Atlanta organized drills to shoot at human like manikers and fires M four assault rifles employed exclusively with the military.
Speaker 3: The training.
Speaker 2: Also included isis guidelines for use of force encompassing deadly force. One presentation suggests yelling drop the gun as potential cover when employing lethal force against someone. So they're telling it and this is definitely supposed to be thinking like, oh, if you're in playing clothes, like you fucking yell police and yell drop your gun, and then you shoot them, and this is how you get away with it. So like they are straight up teaching people how to murder people, like how to get away with murder.
Speaker 3: That's what's happening here. Yeah, wild Yeah, Like the government's offered firearms trading for civilians, Like that's kind of what the NRA wasn't a government initiative. But yeah, this is not that. This is not like, No, I would broadly be in favor of the government funding free gun safety classes for people, because I've seen some shit with you know, like that would be one of the useful things. But this is not that.
Speaker 2: No, And like and like the reason those specific classes like don't look like that anymore is because and I've talked about this in some of the episodes on them, okay, assassination. It's like, well, yeah, when the government taught a bunch of people how to use rifles, those people use those rifles to like fight the cops in the streets. Yeah right, yeah, and now they're all this insane shit. That's like teaching people how to get away with murder of their cop. Like, I want to read a power point slide from that from that thing, because it's it's the most deranged thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Have you read the Graham versus Connor one, because it's one of the more powerful uses of passive voice I've ever seen. Oh no, I haven't seen that yet. Let me read that while you look for yours. This one is just incredible instance of cops speak. Graham comma diabetic. Comma asks friend to drive him to convenience store for juice good like cops sent is here, ran in and out of store. Comma also observed the suspicious activity. What suspicious activity, dear listener, I don't know. We're left to imagine. Investigative stopped made and Graham was handcuffed by whom doesn't say weird. Graham receives multiple injuries during the encounter with police. Like someone gave him the fucking injuries? Was it the cop?
Speaker 2: It's just an incredible use of passive voice here throughout. Yeah, there's this great tweet that was like the US has a passive voice, in an active voice, and a special exonerative voice.
Speaker 3: It's only used for.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Israel gets the exiterative voice.
Speaker 3: It rails in the greater cop nation. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And like also, one of the things that I don't think people understand on the Streme Court is like, if you think that like Supreme Court rulings about abortions are bad, like then they are right. But like, if you think those things are bad, look up the Supreme Court cases about police use of force. You will get you will get nine O decisions with like all of like fucking like like fucking Thurgood Marshall will be signing on to like a nine O thing where he says that cops have the right to just like shoot you in the back of the head because they couldn't shoot you in the back of the head like that the police couldn't function. It's it's fucking dranged, like the kind of shit they have. Okay, I want to read I want to read the slide because it's it's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's just a giant letters.
Speaker 2: It says survival, and then there's like bullet points, and the bullet points are never give up, never concede defeat. I will not die this way. I must go home to my family. How you trade is how you will fight.
Speaker 3: Just imagining that the you know, the person who I go to at the bank when I need to take out large amounts of cash to go on one of my work trips, learning that I will not die this way.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that that that's basically what I have about this program, other than the bleak note that on on a pr level, of these people one right, they they didn't win because of anything they did. They won because the Democrats decided that they fucking hated immigrants, and because views of integration are largely driven by by party politics, are driven by what your party tells you about immigrants, Like, yeah, all the support that had been built in the late twenty tens has evaporated.
Speaker 3: And yeah, even like I did a thing for my Patreon yesterday then made me think of this, Like I was trying to just do a sort of listing of Joe Biden's immigration policies, right, from twenty twenty one to present, and like twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two, I was selling stories to NBC, to slate to the nation right about Haitian migration, about Title forty two, about remain in Mexico, about especial immigrant visas for Afghans, And after twenty twenty two you don't even get a response to your email. You know, the same shit keeps having with twenty twenty three is the end of Title forty two, right, So when we see the beginning of out door detention, arguably the most heinous shit that the Biden administration has done, it's that's some pretty heanish shit. I mean, genocide is worse, evidently, but on the on the border, this is the worst. Yeah, some of its worst domestic policy. And you just can't tell stories. Literally every time I post about this on Twitter, people will be like, what the fuck? Why didn't I read about this? Because an editor made a choice that they didn't matter, that the people out there in the cold and the wind at the rain didn't matter, and that they don't have rights because aoc or Joe Biden Orkamala Harris decided that that was how it was going to be and apparently every corporate media outlet just kind of stepped in line and went, yeah, fucking we don't care anymore. Yeah, it's pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've achieved their stated aim and they're not moving on to their unstated aim, which is mass deportations.
Speaker 3: All right, we're back.
Speaker 2: Everything I know about the program that you were about to talk about comes from you, and that is oh boy, it's not good.
Speaker 3: All right, So I'm going to read you a small story here, and then we're going to talk about whether or not it's a good idea for the Border Patrol to have programs for children. Okay, and then I gave a content warning for sexual assault of children. I'm just in kiitch. You don't want to listen to this. In August of this year, Aaron Mitchell, a former CBP agent, was found guilty of a federal civil rights violation and also kidnapping. On April the twenty fifth, twenty twenty two, in Douglas, Arizona, Mitchell found a fifteen year old girl waiting for school to begin. And for this next part, I'm just going to read directly from the Department of Justice presser. He introduced himself as a law enforcement officer and asked for her papers. Next, after flashing his police badge and credentials, Mitchell ordered the child into his car and explained that he was taking her to the police station. Instead, Mitchell drove the car miles away from her school, pulled over, and restrained her hands and feet with two pairs of handcuffs. The victim testified that after being handcuffs to defend it and told her to do everything he said because he didn't want to have to hurt her. I'm not going to describe an nextpy in detail. He repeatedly sexually assaulted this young women fucking christ in his apartment, then returned her to the middle school where he had abducted her, and reminded her not to tell anyone. Fortunately, she immediately reported the abduction to her friends, family members, and multiple law enforcement agencies. During an interview with the police, a defendant exclaim exclaimed that the victim had better hope I don't get out of here, which is an insane thing to say when you're being interviewed by the police. Yeah. He also googled several times for how long does it take to smug someone? And he googled a lot about sexual assault, how to stop someone from screaming. It's some of the darkest shit fuck you're ever going to read. Yeah, oh my god. This is one of the relatively few instances of a Border Patrol agent actually being convicted of sexual assault. Sexual assault is a massive fucking problem in the Border Patrol, and the fact that it's such a big problem and people get away with it is why we get shit that is horrific, Like the incident that I've just related to you right in twenty nineteen. I don't know if you remember this, but there was a pro publicer thing about this Facebook group which had nine five hundred agents in it. The Facebook group they proted videos of migrant desks, their children, and rape fantasies, as well as doctored images, including ghost images of AFC. At the time, Karla provosd, the Border Patrol chief, condemned the group as inappropriate. Shortly thereafter, the insect reveal that she had been a member of it for years. Yep, just classics, dove right. Border Patrol has consistently failed to hold its offices to account for rape. Like if you want to read more about this, Jen Bud, She's been on the show before is the person to go to about this. I'm also going to include in the show notes links to a story about a Border Patrol agent who was sexually assaulted at the academy, which I know is as a thing that is not unique to her. This is this is a problem. Border Patrol is ninety five percent male at this point. They call the women the fierce five percent. But it's like it's probably the most like gender biased of the federal agencies. Like Border Patrol agents by and large, like do not do well around women. This is something I've observed, this is something other volunteers have observed, Like it's such a like masculine agency, I guess, and they just don't encounter women in a professional capacity very often. So I think with this in mind, I want to talk about the Border Patrol Explorers, Right. It's a youth program that teaches kids the skills of a patrol agent from as young as forty fucking crust. Yeah, what's really weird. There's been very little coverage. The two places I would send people these will be in the notes, would be Morley Music Write a really good piece in the Nation, and Todd Miller's book Border Patrol Nation, which is a book that everyone should read. I think really like detail is the beginning of how border patrol became what it is today. Those are really two of the very few places you'd read about it. The training that they do is insane. They'll learn firearms drills, they learn to do checkpoints, they learned to make arrests. I'm going to read from an interview from Monie Music's piece, Fabian explained why his posts would practice shooting sometimes, and then this is like parentheses. Undocumented migrants are not compliant when we find them. He said, they paid all this money to get here to start another life. They're just not going to give up when they see us. Some would fight back, some would be compliant. Maybe they tried to kill you or threaten you. Sometimes they pick up an element a rock lying around anything, and that could be used to kill you. This is not the stuff that fourteen year olds should be reckoning with, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is also like I know people have done the like connect the border to Palestine things so much that it's like hackneyed, but like that is straight up that could be lifted from a press release, like from the idea yeah yeah about why they shot someone yeah, and it's like, yeah, I mean, you shouldn't be teaching anyone this, You especially shouldn't be teaching fourteen year olds. Yeah, that someone might throw a rock at them, and that's a reasonable way people had a gun and shoot them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like if you back that into your mind at fourteen, I would argue that makes you very unsuitable to carry a gun in public. Later in life. Kids start out by doing this kind of boot camp style academy and then they pretty much begin doing stuff like drill PT they practice, conducting vehicle stops and tracking Border Patrol. On their website, they claim to have more than seven hundred Explorers, but over twenty eight posts around the country. It's very hard to find anything about them. Like, it's not something that they talk about a great deal. You have to sort of apply. I looked at how one would apply. It's one in Santa Sedra, Right. You sort of fill out this form and you get some kind of clearance and then I'm guessing they're checking that people are eligible to be like hied by Border Patrol. Right, But if there is data on how many of these kids go on to be hired by BP, I haven't found it, but I did find one. I think this is again from Morley Music's piece when extremely amusing incident the Douglas Arizona chapters. The Explorers teamed up with a local high school drama club and they had the kids playing migrants. Yeah, Jesus Christ, many of these people will themselves be like first generation or like a.
Speaker 2: Wild Anyway, the country cannot be allowed to continue.
Speaker 3: Imagine, like, what are we doing at school today? The theater kids are going to get arrested by the border patrol kids. Jesus Christ. Some of the theater kids got really into character. One of them cried. I guess several of them managed to avoid arrest and give the young agents the slip, and then they got told by the agents overseeing the exercise that they've done it wrong because they'd outsmarted the junior gobs.
Speaker 2: There's a story I can't remember what fucking town it was in like the fifties that the Army was running these like infiltration drills where they would like have a town and they talk to people to town. They'd be like, Okay, we're gonna like unleash like a communist diversive agent into the town, and then you're gonna help the army capture them, and it said, what happens, everyone has hit the agent because I just had a great time like stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is the American spirit. It's it's the people of dug this Arizona. We salute you. One of the things I found really interesting in in the morning music piece was this idea of like defensive asylum only being for criminals. So it seems like the students learned this very binary immigration law. Where defensive asylum, which is when you claim asylum as a defense against being deported, Yeah, it's only for people who are criminals versus affirmative asylum. It's for the people who like really need it or whatever. We fast forward making an affirmative asylum claims extremely difficult right now. Yeah, you know, I spoke to one hundred people who wanted to come to this country in the Darien. Every single one of those people told me that they wanted to use CBP one, that they wanted to do it the correct way, that they wanted to wait their turn and do an interview. But like every single one of those people is now reckoning with the fact that if they can make CVP wan work on their phone, they will wake eight or nine months in Mexico. That is not a safe place if you're a woman on your own, God forbid, if you're a trans woman or a gay person like aside from like within certain communities, it's not a safe place. I think Mexico is the second highest rate of killings of trans people anywhere in the world. Yeah, I think Brazil is maybe more. Yeah, bort I think is the highest. I don't know if that's like raw numbers because Brazil is a bigger country, or if it's like stags the population.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my memory is that it's the rate, But I'm not harm so sure either way that people who are.
Speaker 3: Coming to be safe or not to be in a place where they're in danger, that is what they face, right And so undoubtedly some of those people who wanted to come the right way will cross between ports of entry, they will surrender themselves to border patrol, and if they get a chance to file for asylum at all, because it's it's a shout test now, But there are numerous incidents that I've seen described in court cases of people doing what sounds to me like asserting an asylum claim and not having a chance to then make their case. If they do at all, it'll be defensive asylum, right. And these are the people who are like textbook asylum places, you know, like I am a trans person in a place where that might well be punishable by death, de facto of du jure right. I am a political dissident in a country where my political views would be a reason to kill me. I am a woman from Iran who doesn't wear hijab, nicab whatever, you know, Like these are like why asylum exists. There are lots of people who deserve a help who are not covered by these little buckets. We put people in to for asylum, but even people who are who falls slap in the middle of what your average Midwestern liberal dad would be like, Yeah, that's an asylum case. We should help that person. Yeah, they have to come in. They fare the defense of asylum, and that's what we're teaching. I guess these border patrol kids that these are the quite unquite bad guys, and they're not. And yeah, they they're doing this sort of twenty eight posts. It's just one. I read a terrible account of a young woman who was sexually abused by a cop in a police Explorer program. Like these Explorer programs go all across law enforcement. They are administered by the Boy Scouts of America. They have a serious problem with abuse of young people as serious problem, and it seems like it's not getting I mean, it does get some coverage, like this, this piece about the agent in Douglas got some coverage, right, the piece about this this cop. But like, I mean, look at this country. We still have the Catholic Church. Just because people abuse kids doesn't mean they get shut down. But like, yeah, I don't, don't don't send your kids. I guess you're listening to this. You're quite unlikely to send your kids to be junior cops. But like, I get young people living in small towns on the border who don't have many economic opportunities. I know those towns. I spend a lot of time in those towns. And I get that the guys who joined Border Patrol, they have big trucks, they have nice houses, right, that it's one of the few areas of economic opportunity. I get that none of that is worth having your kid abused. And like I'm not saying that, of course all of these programs resulting child abuse, they don't. But like law Enforcement Explorer programs absolutely have a problem with child abuse.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, there was a whole thing in like the last couple of years about this happening in tension facilities in Chicago or intention facilities, things that were supposed to be like now figurant housing, and that got reported. Yeah, weirdly. Weirdly, the Chicago proces has actually been pretty good on immigration stuff. But it's literally solely because they hate Brandon Johnson, and Brandon Johnson's the one running it. Because of this, we've actually gotten a bunch of good good reporting that accident. Yeah, yeah, in many such cases. But yeah, like the culture of border patrol is not one that you want to.
Speaker 3: Be introducing your child too. Yeah, absolutely not. You know, I would really encourage people to read Todd's book Border Patrol Nation, like he talks about this use of They invented a new slur, which you know, is cool. Good for them for expanding the English language. I guess they call people tonks. Oh yeah, yeah, some noise that makes when you hit someone on the head with your torch your flashlight. Yeah yeah, just really great stuff. Some of the worst people who've ever lived. Yeah, don't don't volunteer to be a cop. Don't do it for money either, Like that's what I got for you. Yeah, yeah, I think that's all we've got for today. Yeah. Shit fucking sucks. I don't know.
Speaker 2: We gave you, We gave you some less depressing episodes, but yeah, now we're back ruin your week. Actually, I could promise. I could promise tomorrow's episode is going to be a lot writer for this one. Yeah, come back tomorrow to be less horribly depressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got nothing good for you coming up for the near future. To be honest, I'm rite. I think about the Darien Gap and having to take little walks outside. Yeah, yeah, get for a walk.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.