Speaker 1: And this ain't no j lob Ashton because he's crazy retalented.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I saw her at the upfront. It's me and Danny DeVito and he said, damn winner one place over you know it, right. I'm like, yeah, I know her. So I go over there and I'm like, what's up?
Speaker 2: Girl?
Speaker 1: You blew up?
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 1: She's like, hey, get some little carrot dip and I'm going, you know what's in that characterip?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Because she showed dipping my ass all my life.
Speaker 4: Grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle pad, the price, Want a Slice?
Speaker 1: Got the bro Dieys to swap all my life. I've been grinding all my life, all my life, the grinning all my.
Speaker 4: Life, sacrifics, hustle pad to price, Want a Slice, got the brother geist to swap all my life.
Speaker 1: I've been grinding all my life.
Speaker 2: The NFL season is going strong, and Draft Kings sports book is hooking new customers up with an offer that's even stronger. Bet five bucks on any game this week to score two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bits, and DraftKings isn't stopping there. All customers can take advantage of a suiteener offer every game day this October. Get in on game Day greatness. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app now and use code Shannon. New customers can score two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bitz when you bet five on the NFL. That's cold Shannon Only on Draft Kings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL. The Crown is Yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net In New York called eight seven seven eight Hope and Why, or text hope and why to four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help us available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas. Licensee partner Golden Nugget like Charles and Louisiana twenty one plus age very He's by jurisdiction void. In Ontario, bonus bets expired one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. See Sportsbook dot DraftKings dot com slash football terms for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome to another edition of Club Shah. I am your host, Shannon Sharp. I'm also the proproud of Club Shasha, and the guy that's stopping by for conversation no drinking today is Emmy Award winner comedian actor, voice, actor, writer, producer, musician, director, author, Been in the industry almost forty years. A friend of mine, Tommy Davison, Talmy, How you doing, bro, I'm.
Speaker 1: Doing long, long, long, long time. Wait skip what you skip? Skip? Skip skip?
Speaker 2: I love you that we never skipped scarp scap skip for real, for real skip skip already for real? Already you know we're in.
Speaker 1: We're in, We're in. Goodness, You're thankful stopping. That's love. Man.
Speaker 2: You you lightening it up. You like the scoreboarding. I appreciate that. Yeah, you got your start. One of your first gig you had at the Comedia. You performed in the strip club. How you telling Joe's looking at their booty? You see that? That was the darkness? You see that, you see that.
Speaker 1: First one? Crap? You actually actually actually that was my friend Howard Man up in my neighborhood. We grew up in the same project. We knew each other since we were eight, and we lived pretty a rough neighborhood, you know. And I had got a job at a Romata Inn when I was nineteen as an assistant chef, as a chef, as an assistant yet, right, but I got paid, you know, paid proparably with that right at nineteen. Okay, So I called Howard and I said, Howard, you know I got this job at the Reminter Inn. And Howard said, you about the stupidest I'd ever seen in my life. You can be in Hollywood writing your own ticket. You can be like Eddie Murphy, do your own movies, do all that stuff. Like you just mad. And I got a job, right, you know what I mean. He's like, nah, man, you should be on the stage. I don't want to hear nothing. Right. So he called me and said, hey, I got He called me on my phone at home. When you have cell phone, you know, I got you an opening to go down to the Penthouse to do a show. I'm like the Penthouse. The Penthouse is the worst strip club in the world. Okay. The girls got bullet holes in the ass, The guards that are out front got shirts on the that's say on the back, don't shoot them, okay. So I'm like, I ain't going down there. He said, he gonna give you five minutes, you know. So he comes over to my house in February's freezing. I got my dots and beat two ten. Ready, boom, the radi rat of breaks. Right, the radiator breaks. He gets right back on the bus like nothing, I'll be back next week. He comes back next week. My radiators fixed said let's go. So we go down to this club and you know, the manager comes out, you know, says him, and know he's liked, yeah, that's my man. You know you got five minutes, man, And so I'm going, well, Howard, what do you want me to do? He said, I don't care what you do, just get on that mic and say something. I was, all right, I got up here. Had you worked out anything?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, he just said, he just said, hey, he knows me from the first thing. I said. They laughed, and I'm sitting here with you now.
Speaker 2: It was like that, did you all did you always want to be and show biz because you took a job as an assistant shif Were you running away from this?
Speaker 1: What was going on?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I wanted to be a singer. That was my thing. I started with the Jackson five, and I played in bands and I was I had grown men coming over and asking my mom can he come and gig in our band? So that was my thing. I was gonna be big music star. I didn't really like comedy that much. I like Prior because he'll make you laugh no matter what. Right, But I'm a big fan of Ohio players and the Eagles, and that was my whole steelo. I watched Carol Burnett and I'm into the music, right, and so it didn't look like that was gonna happen. You know. When I got about fourteen, I want to do what everybody else did, you know, like play football and played basketball and all this stuff. Well that ended when I was fifteen because I went because I went away for one summer. One summer and I came back and everybody everybody was bigger.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about three times my size, and and I went in there to one practice and I was like, Okay, that's it.
Speaker 1: So that career is over, right. And so I always had singing, and that's one of my weapons that I have in my arsenal right, you know, but comedy, I didn't know I really had it. I found out because the teacher would go, oh, so you're the comedian, right, you going down to the principal's office. Okay, you know you're gonna put up the Black Power fis and we're doing the national anthem, you know. So the comedy came out of my mother, who's white, right, and my family, who's white, who comes down to the elementary school and says he'll learn the national anthem. Right. She used to like to do this. But that's all he knows about himself. He knows say it loud. I'm black and I'm proud. He knows who he is, right. But you can teach him anything because he'll pick up on it. So that's that's I just was just funny because I love happiness. I love laughing, and I come from the laugh in his neighborhood in the world in DC Summer Hill, and we we will tear you up right. So it was already there, but a lot, a lot more was there than I can ever imagine. So were you a class clown? I think I was. I was a class clown?
Speaker 2: On on on?
Speaker 1: Or were you trying to get attention? No, I was a class clown on on steroids. Okay, I didn't have to get no attention because I finished it, finished my work so fast that then I was just like I was just balling, you know what I mean. It's it's like I loved to see people happy, you know what I mean. Like the teacher would go, hey, I'll be chewing gum when you you know, she said, hey, do you have enough gun for everybody?
Speaker 2: Else?
Speaker 1: I go, She'll do got to hear juicy fruit plenty pack, get out of here. You know, I had all the answer, you know what I mean, And so my timing was already h impeccable. You know, I watched everybody do everything, and I didn't know they were even impressions. That's the reason why my mother kept saying, man, shut up. I did Algira boom boom, damn. She'd be she said, could you shut that up? Until she saw him on TV? She said, do that again? You know, so that that that was me anyway, you know, stallone was my husband.
Speaker 2: Why you're living around my house? My house statement the ready stage, Mick, I never asked you for no favors.
Speaker 1: Had me to fight to fight, I'll fight, the fight will be there Mick and it's just stuck like and I can and I don't really practice. If I hear something long enough, it's gonna register, you know what I mean. Like Obama, I couldn't get him, so I said, just shut up and just listen to him. Next thing you know, he was on trade shop and he's having a good time. He's enjoying the warmth of the fireplace. The only thing missing here is some marshmallows. And you have Somers in here, you know what I mean. I'm not talking about the comedian Somemore. I'm talking about Smarts. So from the script club, then you start doing what? Yeah, then I started doing. I opened up for singers. I didn't get to a club for a year. So Patty LeBell saw me. She said, you're incredible. Kenny g saw me, he said you're incredible. Fred Jackson saw me. You're incredible. Luther Vandross and need A Baker went on their tour because I did singing impressions too, you know, and that's what helped me a lot. You know, Rick James, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Wow, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I love you just the same now, Rich I love you.
Speaker 2: Beeby Bebi be Babeba never read don't play no games, you know, so.
Speaker 1: I can go hard, right, and so that's what it was. But people were saying, you need to play in the clubs, right, right, And I'd never been in the club. The first night I went to a club, Sinbad was in town. Right, Sinbad had won Star searchmember all the time. Yes, So all the comments were at one club in DC. That's the night I met Martin and Dame Chappelle for the first time. Wow, we're all from the same city, right, And so that's the point I started working clubs. But the big break was I won the Apollo. I didn't win it right, but I want it right, you know I got. I don't know how you fixed an audience. The dude did it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: There was a singer Day Pizza and there was me and you do it by applause. So the guy goes day Pizza, the Tommy davis.
Speaker 2: Day pieces Tommy dayson and then he goes, all right, guys, all right, do you want Tommy Davidson from Washington, DC? Or do you went Dave from New York City? And I was like, what do you got you out of there? So how did you so you go from that and you auditioned. You were the first to audition for a living color correct. I was the first to get the part. Wow to get the part. My audition didn't go too well. Yeah, I heard you, Bob, I heard you based, You're right, I based.
Speaker 1: But I based that on the look in their face when I was done, because I was going up the room and it was like, hey, man, see ron Man, so what what did they ask you to do?
Speaker 2: So? So you going in for an auditional live right? Income? Right?
Speaker 1: I thought I didn't know what improv was, right, right, So I'm going to try to improv, right. So they asked me crazy questions like you're drunk Puerto Rican cab driver, right, trying to talk to your customers, you know, eco, if you want the who, if you want the well down down? I don't go down down, you know. And now I did all these things quick and it was over. That was the audition I didin' getting no feedback, and it was over the reason why I got it because I was so strong in stand up. I was so strong in standing. I had that football principal right, you know. Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and then stuff starts becoming like an instinct. Right. So I was thirtieth that night at the thirty of the hottest comics in the business, Legozamo, Jim Carrey, everybody, Jamie found, everybody wanted the show, right, and there I was right thirtieth. Okay, and as I'm on the sidewalk because I never watched other other comedians, you know what I mean, I just kind of did my own thing. And my manager kept coming out and going, you can't do this bit because somebody did that one, right, And then they come out again and say, you can't do that bit because such and such did that one. So my show was getting a little bit shorter shorter as I go, but I was confident in what I had because we always worked. We worked on comedy with a discipline. My manager had to stop watch. I know how much two minutes is six minutes is an hour forty six minutes two minutes, you know, just by running through my stuff, and I knew my stuff really really well. I hated it. I hated it that he take me out to the pool and make me work on my stand up when no one's around and get the time in But I'm glad he did. Did you know that you were a part about to be part of history now? Now? Not at all. I knew that the real thing about the whole thing was I actually was about to go home.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I had had enough of Hollywood. Man, I've been here. I kicked ass for three years in the clubs I had. I had a job back home, I had. I had a selica GT A seventy eighth that I got from my mother's credit union. And I still had my beach ut and I had an apartment, you know, with water wall, carpet and a cat, you know, and plenty of roaches though, I mean, are you mine? You just take the hamper and shake it out in the street every couple of months, you know what I mean. They love wicker, by the way.
Speaker 2: So so.
Speaker 1: I'm you know, I came out here to and I was catching the bus right. You couldn't catch me on the bus alive, boy, because we used to go to do laundry on the bus, our groceries on the bus. Life was the bus. And we lived in the winter too. So I'm on the bus three a day, Okay, I'm working up till one, I'm working up till till one in the morning, and I'm up at like five, right, Because once I get off around three years or something like that, I start at the clubs and we hit every club until no one was open no more. And they were saying to me for three years, and I was turning it out. They were saying, You're not what we're looking for. You're not what we're looking for. I mean, so what were they looking for? Well, it looked like all the white comments weren't getting that comment, and they weren't get getting standing ovations. So I surmised that it was that, you know, and some things to me are like societal rules that are in between the rules. Like I used to be late to school. My sister looks like Cidey Brady, okay, all right, my brother looked like David Cassidy. I mean, I'll got be old, all right, But I'd go to school late and she go to school late. And the punishment for that was you have to sign up for detention. She used to be able to go straight to class and I had to sign up for the t So here come my mother again. I used to think she was crazy. She came sat down with the principal, who was black. She said, okay, so what the is the problem here? And he was going work, what's going on? Miss David? So what's going he said? She said, why does my daughter get to go to class and my son have to sign up for detention? And he said, well, we didn't know that was your daughter. Man. She said, why does that make any difference?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And he said, we'll get that straight. We'll get that straight. But my mother does this, man, I said. She said, you're coming with me today and I was like, oh, man, here come one of these speeches. She took me to the park. She sat me on a picnic bench, me and her. She will talk to me. She said, I need you to know something about the world you live in. Okay, it's going to bother you, but it's a fact. She said, your sister can actually be late, but you can't. If you want to be successful in this rule, in this world, you can't be late at all. It's just the way it works, you know. And I hated that. I wanted to cry, but she was right. So I thought it was that rule. I just connected to that. But I kept going and I started getting more and more I won at the Comedy Store because finally I got a shot in the main room. Right, okay, this is the big night. Prior's there and Rich's there and everybody plays that room, you know. And I got a call from the Comedy Store and they said, you're in the main room tonight and I said, oh, okay, who am I hosting for? You're like, who am I bringing on MC? And there was like, no, You're on the show.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I was like what okay? So then who am I hosting for? They said, no, you got thirty minutes. I said, I got thirty minutes. Never got that thirty minutes, but I could do an hour right right, thirty minutes. Who else is on the show? They told me Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor. It's just y'all three. Wow, okay, riches on first. It's two shows to night Friday and Saturday. Eddie goes on first the first show Friday, uh and and and on Prior to go second, and it's it's splip flopped for the other right right, And then the very next night it was the same thing. And how did I do?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: How did you do? Don? Friends? Is is Asberry Tarking then dropped back and hit his hit his receivers for eighty yards in the third quarter. But then, but then Larry Zoanka gave the Purple people the eater intergestion as he used his helmet as a batter. Ram, Okay, my old NFL film, you know what I mean? Yeah, it was like the interception with John Persinda. Yeah, that that the interception with with the with the with the David. That's what it was. Because it was time. It was my time.
Speaker 2: How was it? You mentioned you got Jim Carrey, who's not Jim Carrey yet. You got Jamie Fox, who's not Jamie Fox yet?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: You mentioned John Lego Zamore. I mean there's so many. You got the Wighams, who would How was it? How did the egos mesh? How did you divvy up time? How did you determine who's going to do this kid, who's gonna be with that person, who's going to be with this person?
Speaker 1: Kind of like when you was with TD and and McCaffrey and now yeah and they had never running back out like he's coach now Tony Anthony Anthony Lee yet just kind of how you felt, you know, you got to play your game no matter what with the ball though, Yeah, you want the ball, but.
Speaker 2: If you haven't success, everybody's gonna there's enough of the pile of.
Speaker 1: Going around exactly exactly, you know what I mean. So it's like, you know, when we got on that platform, everything counted, and Keenan was smart. He knew how to get the best out of this. He made us work against each other, not in a negative way. But if it's not funny, it won't make the show. Period. You got to work with the writers yourself and write your own sketches. You got to present your characters to us everybody, to the writers, to the producers, to the actors. You got to present it to everybody. You got to be funny in that room, and that goes on the show. Did you okay?
Speaker 2: Next, did you guys ever work together? Did you say okay, Jamie, hey check this out? What do you think about this?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 3: And this?
Speaker 1: Or did you get with Jim Carre said Jim, what do you think about this?
Speaker 2: David? David Alan grew also on that show, So did you guys get together? And says okay, I think we'll be great if.
Speaker 1: We do this. Yeah, but that happened with everybody in living color. That's why we're special because we did it with the cameramen, we did it with the makeup women, we did it with the wardrobe people. Everybody had everybody had a feedback. So when we were in when we were in rehearsal, we were all giving each other.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, don't do that.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. Man, Remember you said the chicken before you said no, don't say that. Don't don't say a Pelican or duth Man, save the chicken. The chicken. Then the chicken work, y'all right, So we're all in it together. We're all into it. But that one sketch that you're the lead of, that's your sketch.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So the more you were seeing what you know, what I mean.
Speaker 2: The more less you got the opportunity you get for the next episode to be up in the exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like, who told me? This is Lonzo Hotsmith? You know Lonzo? Yeah? Right, I told me. I said, you can probably play right now. I couldn't. Well, I could probably play right now. I could probably play. I could probably play maybe a quarter, he said, But I ain't got another training camp in me.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's like that, He's like do right, do right, do right, do right? People on your shoulder, the whole thing, you know what I mean. And so it was that's what it was.
Speaker 2: But how do you make how do you make it funny a second and third time? Because like normally, like say save that for the show, Y'll leave that on the cunning room floor. So how if somebody's heard it, because normally something is the only funny once, right, So.
Speaker 1: How do you like? Okay, and then make sure Yeah, I think Kenny did that and he created a monster. So he said, y'all get one take. You know, the rest of it is yours. Don't never tell us that we improved everything from that first take. Oh okay, it was.
Speaker 2: It was it.
Speaker 1: We had a competition going under the under the radar. What can I say that you haven't heard before? That's gonna make you laugh right in the middle of the sketch. And we was doing that constantly, constantly, So if you watch the show, Jim Carrey could be going, I just a fire and fire like it and think that do that again? Hold on, hold on. He caught a quick quick one hand and he did a quick out you see, and and you be over there going because I'm playing this serious guy, Benny, and he's supposed to be in my mansion, you know what I mean. But Jim Carrey when he gets hit by the sushers, by the emergency squad, he doesn't just go down like he's supposed to go down the floor, you know, and then get up and say his line, Tommy, I mean, Benny, I'm a FIREMUK show. Well, when he goes down, he goes, I'm a fireman.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now the director is saying cut stop at Jim, stop that we don't have time. We can't be I lost my cell or ever. We don't have time. You know. We got to get to the next thing. We're doing Take two an action okay eight times and I'm in tears. My eyes are swollen. Jim, you can't do it again, he said, I got to. That's how we were. We got so bad because Keena said, y'all can bust lose. He got to the point where he was coming back to us in the back and going damn. I got winded by that.
Speaker 2: Jim. Let me breathe for a second. He came back to the back and would say to us, you guys, we're gonna lose the show. We're gonna lose the show. If y'all keep doing that, We're gonna lose the show. I can't keep these sensors off of you.
Speaker 1: I can't. You guys got to help me. Man and he leave the room and we were like, yeah, right right, you know what I mean, because that's why it was special. People got the real thing when you found out. Why do you think the show was canceled? I can only I can only imagine because Keen is the one that knows. But I just think that we weren't utilizing the whole cast, you know, we at the point we only utilized became m and certain players, you know what I mean. And it didn't take away from the talent the group. But that's what made the team, you know, So you know, it was the thing that made in Living Color the best was you didn't know what you were going to see because there was so many different variations. So they started seeing it in repetition, and I think what they asked and this is only me being there and watching and trying to be trying to be objective. They started asking for new episodes, like you got to give us something new, you know what I mean? Or we're going to run reruns, and so he didn't feel too good about that. That's his show, anyway, I would if I were him, I said, I don't know if you were to tell me what to do with my show, you know what I mean. His job probably hard enough trying to get everybody in there, you know what I mean, and then deal with us on the I mean we were hard. We were really hard, but we just wouldn't stop, you know. And so I think that that's what happened. But I don't really know because I wasn't there. You were in the meeting with Fox, you know, I wasn't there, Pet, you know Pet Dante? Yeah, right, Dante ends up leaving Minnesota. All the players are like, hey, he was my best friend. We used to have an orthanage together. There was you know, I got introduced to the NFL years years ago, you know, I got I got an NFL thing. And he ended up leaving, And they said, well, what happened? He said, Man, I went and talks to the owner, and that was that he shared with some other people, you know, the inside of whatever happened. But you're not really going to know unless you were there. There, there wasn't podcast then where you can get and once it's over you can talk freely and I have to worry about you know, the good old boy network. But so you're down and none of that. You know, you can talk freely, but you have to keep something to yourself.
Speaker 2: Then how how much from what you guys did then would you be able to get away with? Now we probably be on the air for about we'd probably be on the air for about five minutes, you know what I mean? Because we just gonna go for it. Yeah, we're gonna, We're gonna. We're gonna be canceled. You know by culture we canceled.
Speaker 1: Can cancel culture as soon as we know your air nerve and cancel culture. You flow on the moon like a balloon. Cancel culture. You know, never too late and it's never too soon. Take it to me, is all right to be canceled?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: But in truth it shouldn't happen to us?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Because how you gonna do culture? Cancel of us? How are you gonna cancel culture? We are culture? How do you cancel something you are? We're everything that you are? Right, we were emphasized gays, We emphasize on Mexicans, Asians, whites. We're a societal show that shows each and every aspect of the humor and the love that our country has that binds us, right, you see what I mean? And that's what made us really really good. There was really no division on the show. It was all black and white.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Black people, if you ask them in a consensus what their favorite shows are, they probably put Andy Griffith first. Uh Lucy Beverly Hill Billies, I can go on to Buying a Man. You know, it ain't just good Times. And you guys, white people, what was your favorite show? They probably put, Uh, what's what's the one of them? We're moving all up? Move. They put that first. They put the Jefferson first. They put good Time a good time for you know, we all are always laughed at the same thing. If we didn't, Al Joson would have.
Speaker 2: Never had a career.
Speaker 1: You know. Way back then, that's how everybody talked. It was an accepted thing with blackface, you see, And that's how that's that's how we got to that stage in culture. Was because them boys came home from Vietnam, right, We got bussing, women lived, got their live going, you know, Mexicans got their rights, you know, the farm pickers and that whole thing. It was just this whole culture thing that happened in the seventies where it was cool and hip. It was actually hip to know other people's culture, right. It actually was cool when you held hands with people and you said the word love and peace. Love and peace were in style, right right, the big old peace sign and right on, brother. You see that coming from both the hippies and and and us. You see. So we got to that point, right, and so this was an outgrowth of that where we were doing. We did Lucy, but we did at our style, right, you see what I mean. We did the Honeymooners, We did our you know, we did parodies of everything that we saw when we were kids, right, and everything that we saw in our Hollywood adult life movies Three Champs and the Baby, you know, me and Jamie used to do that, those two bodyguards right right. Uh so I thought, you you you you you you you ain't Tupac. And yeah, you ain't Tupac because if you tubac, you'd be coming here like like like Drake even here right. Well that was actually from Rainman. The sketchules called main man. So it's just a black version of Rainbter. So we were just reflection of what culture really is. And didn't it change everything? It did? Nothing's been the same, right, right? The corporations went to the bank right in the billions by now right, Gatorade, Nike, uh PlayStation what you know, went to the moon, right, the sneaker boom went. We were hip hop before hip hop got corporate. So we launched that revolution, and then we launched the revolution out in the suburbs where they're all white kids, a few black ones.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Then we launched a revolution in the inner city schools because those kids couldn't believe they were having that, and they were seeing themselves in roles, you see. So they probably could try to cancel culture us if we came out, But I don't think it would be nothing pretty right, you know what I mean? And that's not what we were about, right you know, So if we can't talk about nothing, we might as well talk about nothing until a's alright to talk about something, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Do you feel Keenan gives the credit he deserves that family and what he a living color? You had to see it, you had to, I mean, back there, you you recorded it, or you found a way to get home, but you had to see what you guys were going to do.
Speaker 1: Does he get the credit that he deserves? No, No, And even I give him credit that I didn't that. I didn't really realize until after the show. I didn't know how much of a genius he was when it comes to comedy. I didn't know his people's skills were so I mean amazing. Okay. As a producer, he was an unbelievable writer. He's unbelievable director. He'd already direct two movies, three movies to do. That show. His family make you jealous because when they see each other, even the guys kiss each other on the cheek when they see each other, I'm like that, you know, it's like hey brother, hey, you know, and they hug for a minute. You got what is this family? You know what I mean? So they had love too, you know, out of New York City. So he got a street sense, you know, but when college got a book sense, but he got his own sense, got good sense. His mom and his daddy hard working, you see. But it's his genius. I give you an example. We were doing. He asked me you know, we had to come up with stuff because she would get on the show. So say we do something. So he said, Tommy, sitting there everybody looking through this group, Tommy, do you have Michael Jackson's sketch? I said yep, And then my mouth was like I told him yes. He said I wanted tomorrow. I said, ooh. I ran upstairs. I grabbed the writer, man read and the writer wrote the song, out, wrote the sketch. Out. I called the guy who does all the music. I went right from the job to his house. We stayed up until six in the morning and record that thing. He recorded it, put it together. We took it in that afternoon. We put that sketch on his feet, you know, with all the stufff cameras and everything, you know, because Keenan had heard the song, he said, let's do it and set up all the other production stuff. So we're in there. I'm singing the song and walking through and then stop, do this part, stop, do this part, and we do all this stuff right. We're running plays right, just to get it in, get it in your you know, after the first snap, you got to run. It's in you, right. So this is when Kenny comes in. Keeny comes in when all that's done, and Keena just goes, do this, do this today. So Keena comes over, he goes, hmm, okay, Tommy, when you're when you're walking down the sidewalk from here to here, don't just walk anybody got any chalk. We're gonna put a hopscotch there for you see hopscotch from there to here. Okay. So then when you go down the rest of the rest of the sidewalk, you're gonna get to here, right, this is the edge of the sidewalk. So do we have a fan, one of those big giant fans. Yes, we do. We're gonna I'm gonna have a bunch of leaves and win just blow you back. Okay. When you go to hit the car window, don't just hit the car window, go.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: And then he came up with that last line. You know, he said, you know he might black and white, and Keena said, uh, you're under arrest. The police says you're under rest. And then I took at the chemera like it's hand black. Right. He just he just tops it off, right, he just tops it off. You knew somebody like that who don't get credit. And right, y'all wasn't supposed to win nothing, right, Yeah, all y'all played regal football. All y'all were all yaard, just like any other team. Right, But he was able to find a way to make it work to get y'all working together and for y'all, for y'all to buy into your roles. Right, And look what happened twice I saw in that Atlanta game. Right, Atlanta came down twice, rap back back, They going for the third one. All right, we're coming in this first quarter, right, So they ran to play and Romanowski blitzed and just missed him by inch. Somebody on the sideline must and said, do it again, right, because they came and did it again, you know, wrong.
Speaker 2: Got them?
Speaker 1: Damn It changes the emotion on the sideline. You ain't look back at that momentum. That momentum came back. You know. It's kind of like the same science.
Speaker 2: The writers on the show. How much credit does the writers get because you said a lot of what you did was between you and the writers, and so you guys have to be in sync. It's just like Rogers and Ginger Rogers and Fredi Staire Ye Yeah, she had the hardest job because she had to do what he would do it backwards. She had to do it in heals right, right, right, So they're writing this, you know, So, so how difficult was it their job? Because they've got to write according to you because what might be good for you might not be good for Jamie, right, David Allen Green or Jim carry Zamble.
Speaker 1: So how was that?
Speaker 2: And you're writing with different guys all the day.
Speaker 1: It's not the same writer, right, It's got to be a personal process, you know. The best best writers know all that, And so they'll do their own homework. You know, they'll go, They'll tell me, I didn't write this, But how would you say that? You know if you say that like that, because I'm thinking if you said it this way, then that would be the opposite of how you would say it. So, you know, and I'll say, well, let's try and both when we go to the rehearsal. If one don't work out the other one. They were there every inch of the way. When they stopped something, one of the writers would come in and go, don't forget that. You get that about the Purple Bunny Man. You can't forget that. Come on, man, it's killing like that. And so they were involved in it. I'll give you their credits. Okay, friends, mar Ten, how many shows are they responsible for? They actually were the executive They are actually the executive producers of the hottest and best shows that lasted the longest in Hollywood. Are writers?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: And we had a veritable difference in every writer with Franklin Najai. We had. We had we had black writers, White writers, Jewish writers, Spanish writers, with all kinds of writers, right, okay, and they were all and a lot of them were really really smart kids, right and went to college and with degrees. And this is the thing. So they're bringing a lot of they're bringing a lot of intelligence to the sketches, right, you know what I mean. They can match the intelligence, the natural intelligence of us. What we had to deal with with this country. We got to be real brilliant because we was like, well, we can't do nothing, but we got to do something right, and we get that something done.
Speaker 2: You know, they look at him, people say, well, there was a lot of nepotism going on because he had his brothers in, he had his sisters in. And I heard Marlon says like f F nepotism. He says, I'm doing this and if I can't putting my family on, what the hell am I doing it for?
Speaker 1: And it's true and he's right about it, and he's right about it. But let's just say, the receiver in the game is your brother, right, all right, and it's twenty five o'clock. You know, you got about two passeses going to him and he'll dropped everything from game on back?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Who you going to just because you see what I'm saying. We're on the field and we're playing a game, right, you see what I'm saying. It wasn't like they weren't doing their job and they were still getting roles. They were performing right, but they got a chance to play, right. There's a lot of people that were you know, we're Juco and should have been in the league and you know it, but it's a game. It's bigger than just the actual activity. So once I saw that and realize that if you're on the other end of it, and that doesn't feel so good because you want to be a part of it. With me personally, I just wanted to be a part of the family, right, you know, And I am right. And I am the first thing his father said to me. His father loved me, his whole family loved me. I got a movie. I was the first one to get a big movie strictly business with Halle Barrier, right, right, sah. A lot of people were easy with that, and I was kind of like a man. But when I went to the premiere, it's me and Halle in in the limousine and we drive up and we get out, and the rope is there and all the people are there, and guess who's there. His father and his father go to me, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy Davison. Baby, he's proud of you, like he's a father, you a son.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Kingan treated me like he was one of his brothers. You know, I'm going through trouble or whatever. He'll say, Hey, man, you gotta get that right. You know you work too hard. I froze up on my first sketch on the Living College, right because I realized I was on TV, so I'm ready and I'm this comic that came from DC, and I'm ready to do this sketch, right. And I saw the rid the red the red dot on the camera, and I was like, I turned into like a skull, right, and I'm there, you know they can Tommy Tommy, Tommy Tommy. And then finally Damon walked over to me. He put his arm around me. Man, he said, nigga, you work way too hard to get here. You over in that apartment with your baby. You know, I'll watched you in them clubs. All you got to do, just do it, you know, you know, And that's how that's how they are. So it's it's it's a half a dozen of one. You know, it's a tough process because you wouldn't want to win the game, right, But the way that the game is played, you know, I don't care how you slice it. It's team right and rolls. You know, you don't get that stuff. I remember Denny Green when remember when the Vikings were packed. They had Chris, they had Moss, they had Robert you remember roberts Robertson. They had every Jordan at t they had that defense, They had everything, Pep, they had it all. They were the machine. And they lost in the first round of Phoenix, you remember that, And so they were broken because that was their year, right, they should have been in Atlanta, right, I guess so right, I guess they'd have been playing, y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They lost to the Falcons in the championship game. Yeah that was Renal Cunninghall.
Speaker 1: Right, and that okay, And that hurt me because I'm a Minnesota fan. I'm that long story.
Speaker 5: So so how you gonna be they fan? You had just came in to our Super Bowl party? Man got hey, got a hey, man came pool, got out, budey Hey, I'm a player, pay me. That was Neil Smith.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Neil was like, that's my man, and that that's when I discovered. I learned through the players what the game really is. It's a freaking war, man. It ain't no joke.
Speaker 2: You look at Jim. We're gonna talk about some of the guys that came from the show. Jim, and he was as big. I mean, the rains that he has he's been tour the mask Truman Ship.
Speaker 1: I mean, you you get what he will think. Why haven't he been liar?
Speaker 2: Liar?
Speaker 1: Why hasn't he been as active recently as he as he was? I only know from my personal standpoint, he's done what he wanted to do. He's he's hit his pinnacle. He's made as much money as he can make or whatever. Right, I just know him as a person, one of my best friends, and he just wants to become a better person and do better things.
Speaker 2: He has he has.
Speaker 1: He's about him a tremendous motivation. Yeah, it's about what's going on on him and the inside, because he knows that those outside things aren't going to fix you. So he strives to just stay on what got him there, right, you know, knowledge of his family, where he grew up, you know, just just all of that stuff that counts. You know, when I got in some of my final not final interviews, but later when I had established myself, I would have people ask me, you know, what was your greatest accomplishment? And I started naming projects. Now I just say my greatest accomplishment was being Barbara Davis's youngest son, Tommy Wow, because that meant something. You know. My mother was the kind of woman that would like, you know, we was on welfare, you know, and and you know, you know we coming up, We're coming up the stairs with groceries, you know, and she would start giving the little kids food. Man, some of them were so small they could only carry one card and the milk you know, and I used to say, what are you doing? I used to think she was crazy, and she'd get up in my face too, you mean, what am I doing? I'm doing it? Ask me what I'm doing? You got everything you need? I was like, yes, ma'am, Okay, I'm proud to be her son, right because I still have that in me. She was trying to show me the universal law of exchange that if you give, you'll always have a close hand. Can't receive or give. So she talked, caught me that, and I realized that that's my greatest accomplished. But now I can get an iron you know statue. I'd like to have one, you know, without the smack and without the Digham smack. I know, we call it Digham smack.
Speaker 2: You almost got one? Yeah, I almost got one? Yeah before, Yeah you lot have been before. Hey bring it up.
Speaker 1: But what's try to do? Is this club sha shape? Yeah it is all right, it's cleb shache. So were talking. We tell it all right. He at the Laker games, what are y'all gonna do? And left them? Do you know what I mean? Yeah? Left? Hold on. I'm like, I'm like, I'm trying to forget that that that that's South Carolina. Okay, that's a long story South Carolina. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: So he had the edge of the car going what what Which one of y'all want something? It's like, I'm like, it ain't one of them.
Speaker 1: It's a whole. It's a whole.
Speaker 2: Just really quick about South Carolina? Okay, and I leave it alone over Georgia.
Speaker 1: I know he was from Georgia, Georgie. No, my brother went to South Carolina. Okay. No, y'all went from South Carolina. Okay, then ain't gonna talk about it. Okay, we're gonna put that back there. Okay, but I heard that there were more players in the league from South Carolina than anywhere. No, probably Texas, California, Florida, Georgia. We ended, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: What do you what are you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, I do it. But it's like I forgot what I was saying. Where was I? Oh that it's trigger me again, Jim care And you see these grades right here.
Speaker 2: I got a feel myself, Well, you forgot to die before you came in.
Speaker 1: You didn't want to look your Yeah, that's why I put this on. It balances out, you know. If I don't wear this and I wear a white T shirt. You'll be going, we're doing a show with Bentley tonight. Cookie what is his name? Oh dude did the cookies? Oh yeah, yeah, you're famous. You got Dick Gregor here. But you were saying about right, That's when I realized, you know, that this wasn't about as much. You know, me and Jim, Me and I Will had a run in. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah aye, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. I didn't find out that for fifteen years because he never told me that. See, he came into that. He came into the trailer and I was sitting down right, He's standing over me like this, and he's like, I appreciate that, man, I appreciate that. And I'm like, well, what you're talking about? I always know to play it off, right, you know what I mean. It's told well, I'm sitting down. This was fifteen years later, or it was this was then. Then I didn't find out why. Well, okay, because asking him why then, but he wouldn't say nothing, right, And I'm going, what's going on, man? Tell me what's happening? Man? And since he was standing yeah, and I was sitting a real nice fella. I mean that that's that's about physics.
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, you know, man, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: I mean, hey man, he said, appreciate that, you know what I'm saying, and Jada's going will will I'm saying, but I mean, what what's happening?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Now you tell me what's happening. You know, when the dude bottle lift about to do something, he might do something, right, So I'm like, you know, I did the I did the whole you remember the snake, Yeah, I did the snake. Well, well, what you know, and got up and then I was like, you know, so what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: And I was still in that prostut, so you didn't really know what he was actually talking about.
Speaker 1: But I know what he was doing. So I was like, come on, man, I mean, what's up? Just tell me what's up? Yeah, you know what's up? You know. So finally I just said, this is a small place and people are here, you want we should talk about it, me and you outside because it looked like you can need to get something off your chest, right, And then Jada was like, oh no, no, no, no, no y'all, no y'all. And I was like, what do you mean, Nah, y'all tell him, tell him? And that was the end of that, right, you see. And I never knew it wasn't until my book came out years later where I counted that as one of the things that really bothered me and hurt me bad, because I didn't know when I look up to him and I love him to death, So.
Speaker 2: You really didn't know why he was upset. You had no earthly idea that it was because of an on screen kids or a tip the kids or what was going on.
Speaker 1: No, you know, but I ain't know why when I was taking the subway up with my cousin uptown to the Bronx. I ain't know why when we were fourteen, and why these nineteen eighteen twenty year olders on the other side of the train and looking at us, going what what, We'll bust your ass what? I ain't know that neither. But I still was like, huh right, you know, waiting for that damn.
Speaker 2: So fifteen years later, how did you find out?
Speaker 1: This is how I found out. I put it in the book, you know, and I found out about you can't put something in the book about somebody unless they sign off on it right, right. So I was like, uh, you know, I don't want to put stuff like that in the book anyway, But I was trying to be real honest about my experiences so I can show that you can go through anything and still be successful, right, and still be a good person, you know what I mean. And I was able to do that. But it's not easy, you know, but you can do it, right. So I went to his best friend, Charlie Matt. You know Charlie Max.
Speaker 2: I remember the song Charlie Matt. Everywhere we go down town to a show, we have two necessities, Charlie Mack and the limo.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, that's like Charlie Ma. You're gonna see him at every game. If it's a super Bowl, it's it's if it's the Kentucky Derby, You're gonna see Charlie Mack. And that's Will's best friend. So I called Charlie and I said, Charlie, and what do you think about this? He said, yeah, you do? You know Will Will cool cool? And Jada cool too. She said, you give me the quote and I'll send it to him, and you know, and they'll call you. They call you Tom. I send it to call me and Jada she said. They said, yeah, go ahead and put that in there. Go ahead and put that. And what I put was that I that I thought in the book. I thought the only thing that could be possible was The producers came to my trailer right when we were on the last scene and it's a kissing scene, and they said, the kissing scenes now, not later on tonight. We got to do that now. And I said, but I haven't rehearsed with Jada. That's the most important rehearsal that you can ever have your lips on a female on screen. And so I was like, we never got a chance to work that out. You can make it look real if she's working with you and everything right without kissing, right, And so I said, I can't do that. I'm not doing that. I'm not doing it. They said, well, we'll ask her. So it went and came back. She said, just go for it. And even then I was like, I ain't just gonna go for it, you know, but I know I have to make it look real. So I'm trying to make it look real. And she's kind of uncomfortable about it, right, you know. But we got through it, and you never could tell. That's all I wanted, right, was to get it to play into the film. Right, that's all we want, right, you know, you at T one wrong block right. I mean, y'all you know it ain't like the receivers out here, all the glory all is blocking, you know what I mean? So you got to do it right, right. So I got it in there, And so they called me and said, hey, that is what happened. Wow. Yeah, And I didn't find out for that long. It was more than fifteen years. I was about back in two thousand, so it's more than that long, right, So I saw that side, you know, And there's nothing you can do in certain circumstances as far as I'm concerned, the way that I grew up and saw things right, you know, I made it a good observation after trial by ass whipping right, right, Okay, when emotions is high, common senses at all time? Low? Yeah, common sense is at all time, and how low can you go? You see what I mean? So knowing that fact and just sticking on to what I learned when I was a little kid, you know, my brother and sister being white and me being black wasn't a big deal. To me until I found out I was black. I grew up in Fort Collins, Colorado, and Wyoming, Okay. Found in the trash, took it straight out there, and I thought I was a brown one of whatever we were because I saw litters. So a black cat can have a white one, a brown one, a stack of one. I thought we were born like that, and I'm a brown one of whatever we are. Right well, we got the DC King had just got shot. There were riots, and the black kids the next day were whipping our ass all day and they were saying, get the white cracker, and get the white cracker lover. This is the things I learned, right, you know, And I was I was going, this is stupid. So I went to my mother, I said, why are they attacking me? Seeing I like white crackers. I like gram crackers, Ram crackers. You don't gotta have water with it or nothing. You just chewing. Get you to the apple juice and you're good, white cracker. You be like swartz niggas in total recall, you know. So so I found that out, and then that's where the first time I heard the word nigga, you know. Okay, Because we moved to the suburbs. Then it was like kill the nigga. And I'm five, I'm riding my bike a whole truck of white boys barely getting in the door, people throwing stuff through the window. Nigga, this nigga that. So I went to my mom and I said, who are these niggas we gotta stay away from, you know, yeah? Yeah, And she told me, she said it's one of her speeches. She told me, hey, that's what people are. Color called people your color when they don't like them. Said what color are you? She said, we're white. I said, know, you're beige because I learned my colors from the grounds. She said no, but that's what we call ourselves. And so I said, well, what does nigga means? She said, well, that's what That's what I mean. What is what is white cracker means? She said, that's what your people call our people when they don't like them. I said, well, what color are they? She said they're black. I said they're not, They're brown. I'm a brown one, and like, hmm, that's that's that's where my my whole as a child. That messed me up for a long time because I couldn't believe that I was divided by my loved ones by the color. And I always thought that that was stupid. But it's real, right, you know, it's real. It's not really real because I am right about the litters and I am right about us. Because when we were in different civilizations and different colors. Anytime we would come up on another civilization that was a different color, the girls would go those guys look pretty hot, and the guys we go to them, girls look pretty hot, and dustly, we started mixing. It is the same thing. You see what I'm saying. Take a DNA strand you know that wasn't because we exchanged DNA all right, you know that's more like d and p's you just skip. I know, but I'm just I'm talking to him. You know, I better stopped it. I'm good. So but that but that was was the catalyst. And I think I found my purpose in all that, you know, And that's why I feel comfortable saying I'm her greatest accomplishment, because I believe I was. I think she did that on purpose, Jamie.
Speaker 2: I read that you and Jamie didn't always have the greatest relationship on set. Seemingly, you guys did a movie together. Did Booty call? So were you able to what what caused the friction and how were you able to get past it? I got shot out to Jamie, shout out to Jamie and prayers to you. Yeah, man, Jamie.
Speaker 1: I called him like, I'll make it a practice to be the first person to call with something like that. I called Still. I was one of the first people to call Still. She'll actually call me back, he said, thank you? You know what I mean? Because we was all like, what you kidding me? The number one due? You know what I mean, Like never again? Like we was like, good God. But I compare it to you and Derek, You and dere Derek Thomas, both of y'all specimens, both of y'all special. Both y'all got speed. Both y'all can do what y'all do at the highest level. But on Sunday we thought that friendship out the window? What way out the window? Way out the window? Because it's a game as long as we remember that, you know, once the game is over and hey, okay, cool, But sometime we don't remember that, right, you know what I mean? It takes time and maturity to get to the point where you start seeing it Yeah. It was a game that was tied into my career, you know what I mean. So we had our we had our back and forth, you know, we we had our negative, negative clashes.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things I observed about uh what Hollywood personalities sometimes experiences an inflated sense of self and are engaged in an extreme amount of negative competitivism. You put those things together and gee, you know, you know, look what happens. And I ain't got to point it out. You can see it in every every aspect of what we do.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I love that guy. He's like the funniest dude ever, you know, jealous at times because he's so sweet with it. He's sweet with it.
Speaker 2: Man, he could the way he see you know, I'm like metaled, I'm like man man. Obviously community man has range Range did that ray thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah he didn't ray, Oh yeah he did. He did when he was in the Movee with Tom Cruise. Yeah. Man, he was the catcher cab driver. All the stuff that he did is lovely and I'm a human. I want to do that too. You see somebody hoisting it right, you want to hoist it right, right. That's just natural. Good friend, of mine told me that's natural to do that, because it's natural to want something that somebody else has, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But just because I want because I want to have it, that doesn't mean I don't want you to have it. I just see you you got it, and I feel comfortable that I can get it.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say. He said, the worst thing is when you don't want something for somebody. Yeah right, yeah, yeah yeah no, So that that propensity that's in me, I have to find ways to see it straight in balance. So I got asked by TMZ one time. Right, they came to me and they was totally rape. You know, Jamie's James kicking ass man. He just finished Sunday the Woman, Sunday, that that movie and this and that, No, the any given Sunday. He's over here.
Speaker 2: He's doing that, He's doing that and doing this. Man, he's doing all these things. Man, you know, how do you feel about that? And I said, I said, I beat him in Ping Pong seven and nothing skunk, and he put the paddle down, he won't go no more. And I played and I lost him, lost him, lost him, lost him, lost him. Two seasons in a row overtime ping pong games. Finally I got my touch. Now, oh you got your touch? Wrap, skunk, let's go again.
Speaker 1: Down. You see what I'm saying. It's like as as silly as that, for real as that. You know, what does it really mean? You know, if if I was, if I was to judge my success on somebody else's success, I sure I am looking at my blessings limited right, Yes, yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: I do know exactly what you mean. Yeah, Because and my thing is is that I hate I hate when people say he or she didn't deserve that. Who are you to say God made a mistake with my blessing? Amy, you've heard that, Yeah, of course I have. Of course I'm gonna talk about a transformation I think you made. Okay, I think somewhere between the last Super Bowl and the next one you made a decision and it was I think it was a good one.
Speaker 1: But I'm not sure. You said football's over and I'm gonna do me now. And the only rea, the only way I saw that was I saw a commercial on the Super Bowl and I was like shocked. It was like about an investment company or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, chausy, but you had the dialogue down right.
Speaker 1: It's some stuff I can't even hardly say. You know, because you got three percent, you got three percent this and that, that, that and the other thing that you had your hemming on calculator, how do you go to the pre ratio? No, nothing like what you know? And then watched it and watched it and watched it grow. I thought that that was the period between that last one, right.
Speaker 2: I remember doing the commercial and you know, they did let me add live, they let my person out me and I, you know, when you and you're doing it, I mean, I'm not thinking that. I'm like, I'm just doing the thing, and I just remember the producing and director and everybody said, man, that was don'tbelieve you, the unbelievable job.
Speaker 1: You don't realize how good you did.
Speaker 2: And then when the commercial actually came out and to have people say that I did a good job, and then people, you know, I walk by and people say, do you know how to calculate the pe ratio? And that's kind of like, okay, I might, I might could, I might could do something like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah you did it, you know where we're at. I mean, it's just it's our internal calculators add up our own stuff from internal experiences, you know what I mean. So I saw it like that, you know, and I just think it's it's you know, for me, it's a it's a wonderful world because I'm here. You know, it ain't no guaranteed. You know, a lot of beautiful, great things happened like the Denver years for me because not only was I invited by one of my best friends to give the ring ceremony twice, I have I known you the midic Fani.
Speaker 2: They are they are no, but they became my favorite team for a couple of years. They did.
Speaker 1: How can you not you did? How can you you a ride a lot? Listen, I'm in I'm I'm in the booth with bowling right, meatballs on the request right, I'm seeing one of the cheerleaders. I'm in there with her parents, Pat's booth. They calling me, Neil, calling me chicken. He called me at you know you're gonna be the You're gonna be the Monday night game with Oakland, right, come on on the field. Right. So you know those were my NFL years. But I learned something too that the the game doesn't stop on Sunday. It stops on Tuesday because y'all go straight from there early monastrat to the gym. And I was like, why are you arresting? You know, and Marcus Allen taught me this. Marcus said, well, this is the work down. You know. You can't be up that far and then let all that stuff. You beat them pulled something, so they work you work it back up, and then you're rested so it can get in place, you know what I mean, working and working on stuff, working on fields, all of that, right, and then Tuesday, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean I was so I remember we played Mike the Dolphins on a Monday night and we ended up, you know, getting back. I think we arrived back by the time we got to the plane and got back, I think it was probably six thirty seven o'clock. And so it's already Tuesday, and I normally come in on Tuesday anyway. Okay, so I just changed worked out and then went home. Okay, That's how focused I was.
Speaker 4: Hold on.
Speaker 1: I know about Georgia boys, Willie.
Speaker 2: God yeah, yeah, Willie from Griffin Fridge and his brother who Fridge and his brother you know, no day from ak in South Carolina. Okay, see, I'm getting it. I thought I was a negrologist. I got some. I got Willie gall Herschel Walker, George Rogers. Those are the guys that you would know. Obviously. Cam is from Georgia. Champ Bailey from Georgia.
Speaker 1: Question where Dale Carter from?
Speaker 2: Dale Carter is from He's from Georgia.
Speaker 1: Where did Dale place? I don't know what DC played at. Where did d Georgia? Though? Yeah? He he from Georgia. Tell me he wasn't the coldon shut down? Yeah, I mean, I'm the color shut downs in the league. Man, I don't know what now, damn Lovedal?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think Dale and Dale. I think Dale is one of the one of the best man him and Everson Wallas Boy. Anyway, when you're doing that, you see j Lo. She starts as a fly girl and now she's one of the biggest stars. Did you did you?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 1: Could you project?
Speaker 2: Could you see that Jim and Jamie and j Lo and and John Leblzambo? Could you could you foretell that they were gonna be that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I could, because because I know that anything is possible in that business if you're talented it, you know, but it's the it's the other stuff that has to line up. They have to line up, right, you know what I mean. You know, there's the there's all these industries. There's publicity. There's the agent industry. Right, there's a management industry.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There's the studios, there's the networks. There's all this stuff that you know, you got to do right. You got to do right and the next step and the next step and the next step to get to that point. So it's possible to do you know, it's possibly because you can navigate it. It's persistence and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But I never knew that some of them would stop talking to me when they got to that point. Man. So I never knew that because I was always curious, you know how you did it?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: I study, you know, like, so we had the number.
Speaker 2: When you was on working on Living Color, and then all of a sudden they becomes something else. And now all of a sudden, no longer.
Speaker 1: All remember her. I was like, you know, I remember seeing her and this ain't no j LO bashing because she's crazy talented, come on, can't put none on her. And she's a great actress too, you know. But but we used to hang out with me her my asks. We used to go to dinner together, you know. And I met her with Keenan that strictly business because he brought her in my trailer. I was doing a movie and I was like, what is that? Right? And then she showed up to be a fly girl and she worked her ass off. She worked her ass and she was every day and she was messing around with scripts. I was like, this girl gonna be something. She was. So I saw her at the upfronts. It was me and Danny DeVito and he's like, there's all there's there's gentleman one place over there. You don't know it, right, I'm like, yeah, I know her. So I go over there and I'm like, what's up girl? Shoot man? You blew it? What what is going on? She was like, Hey, so what's going on? What's going to? You know? Just living? Like you know, get some little carrot dip and I'm going, you know what's in that carrot dip? You know, because she's showed dipping my ass, you know what I mean. And so so that happened once and then I was on a face break I had to look around and see if anybody saw that. Did anybody just see her for the hatchet through my forehead? Like hey, you know? And so we had the same manager at the same time, so I just avoided her because you never know what someone's going through that day. I could be misreading, right, you know. I always got to get the love that But that's from my profile from being the black and between the white and all that. So I'm needy in that way, I can admit that. But I do love love right, Well, she might be.
Speaker 2: Listen, you can only judge a person by the experience that you have half person. Right, she might be, she might be a great person to CJ and Hollywood. Ah my god, Jordan's right, but your experience and that that moment was my love was not great.
Speaker 1: Right, And so I gave it some time and stuff, And I never blamed the person, you know. I just try to try to work with myself, you know how, cause you hate you, You're right, you know. I had to work on that. And so we had the same manager at one time, and she was doing a video up and up and in the block. Jenny jam from the block block block block block block write that one, and so he said, why don't you go and visit her on the set, man, she would love to see you. And I was like, nah, that's all right, that's all right man. He's like, nah, man, come on, man, this is you. Come on man.
Speaker 2: I was like, nah, that's all right, man, that's all right, because one time is enough for me. You know, I don't got to steal another base. If it's Wow wanting out, hey, I'll get it. I'll wait till the next up. So I go down on the platform and there she is, you know, and I tell you the only thing that saved me. I walked down the platform and she was looking at the at the screens with all the rest of the dancers, you know, and Benny's all proud that he's standing.
Speaker 1: With me, you know, being a medemic, right yeah, yeah, yah, yeah yeah. He put the last name on that. Okay, all right, So him, man, you know what I'm saying. So I get down to the to the end of the thing and I look at her and Benny's going, come on, let you here, man. I'm like, alright, man, and I go Jennifer, what's up? And she goes.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: So that was like the last you know, I don't know how she's gonna be when I see her next. But the next time I saw her, I avoided her right because I don't like feeling that way. I don't want to be around anybody. It makes me feel like I'm not You're gonna make me feel like I ain't important.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I worked at a hospital when I was fifteen, and everybody that worked there was black and were in the Korean War. All of them were veterans, you know, and they taught me everything. They taught me everything about cooking, everything about life. You know. Just imagine if they were like that to me, you know what I mean. I mean imagine that. You know. My math teacher, Mss Coleman, Jewish woman, lived down the street from the elementary school, and I couldn't get my math right. She was like a substitute teacher, and she said, why don't you come up to my house? So I go over to the house after school and she would work with me on math and work with me on math and work. I was never that great in math, but I have more confidence about doing it. What happened if she hey, you know, so I just remember those things and that's just me as an individual. That's all. That's just what makes the furnace in me run, you know. And I delighted that people come to me and say, man, came to you, came to Afghanistan and you look at this. This is the picture. You know what I mean? Yeah, we were at your show in Kansas City, man, and my grandmother came in. You took some pictures of her and everything. She gone. Now, Man, but let me tell you something. That was one of her greatest moments.
Speaker 2: When I look when you look back at you look at the nineties, nineties might have been the greatest. Maybe the saventies because they have somebody children, but the nineties with Martin and Living Single and uh, living color. Will we ever see black TV again like we saw in the nineties.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. But we'll see black TV. Yeah, you know it won't be the same sensibility, right, you know you see black TV now, you know, see a bunch of rich black chicks with range rovers having a beautiful cocktail with Gucci purses.
Speaker 2: And we talked about the housewives.
Speaker 1: I ain't talking about nothing. I'm just saying. I'm just saying, you see shows like this and and so here you are, and they're there and they got it all, you know, the American dreaming. But yet it's like, bitch, I slapped your head off, you know, you know what I mean. Uh, well, we'll see it. We'll see a mini series that's a great one. It's a drama and it's the whole thing. You know. But but you'll you know, you'll see somebody's gun, the the the muzzle of the gum and someone's no.
Speaker 2: You know, you won't give it it now, you won't give it to me?
Speaker 1: Now give it to me? You know, Sorry about that? You know, that's what I'm I'm seeing. I'm seeing a lot of that.
Speaker 2: But no more was back then, no living single, no mark you were well, these shows were about about.
Speaker 1: The love about us, the love about the love about blacks. And now we are you know, we got to be loving and carrying based on the album. We were all we had, you see, we were all we had so and we were up against every odd you can imagine. We have no work incentive, you know, y'all lazy. Well what you gonna pay me? You know what I mean? Well, if I'm lazy, why you sit up on the porch with men and Julip and we out here picking how do I get your trait and I do your work? You see what I'm saying. So we lived through all of that and are able to laugh and have joy because that's our survival. But that's also who we really are the first to forgive. You know.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: If you if a black bird, if a white person came to a black church, they leave their sanctified and full of food. You know, you might go to white church and be like, I don't know if I want to step in there. You know what I mean. It's nothing about the people itself. It's just a certain spiritual aspect about us that came out of that tragedy. That's beautiful, right, you know what I mean. So I love to see see different manifestations of that. So Martin, this couple that was trying to make their way in the world, you know, living single, these black women who were like best friends making their way in the world.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So, and what do we need most? We need help making our way in this world. You know, we know what the world is. You know, you got somebody shooting up kids in the school.
Speaker 2: Can't do nothing about it because nobody would get them from stop selling drug you know, all the stuff that we we see, but somehow there's this this this membrane.
Speaker 1: That keeps us all together, you know, right, you weren't see before with Chris Rock. What's your relationship with Rock? That's my man, that's where Man, we've been buddies for so far. Back we were the first ones here in Hollywood. It was me, Rock and Martin. We were the young ones. We were the young guns coming in here. Did you reach out to Rock when he went through that episode, We'll I did it. Hedn't called me back though, but he finally called me back, you know, yeah, I mean yeah, yeah, you probably I know what he was going through. So I was like, the first thing I thought about was in Mama. I said, Man, she about to kill somebody right now, you know, But.
Speaker 2: You're not surprised that he reacted the way that he did. Now, when Chris said what he said, right, do you think did you think it warranted that? No?
Speaker 1: But I ain't him, Okay, you know, I kind of looked at what he was up against as him about what I know about him, you know.
Speaker 2: But you said that day he might have just been having a bad day. That might not be the person that he is, But that was the person that he was that day.
Speaker 1: I think it was fear. Fear can do some things when emotions is high. Common sense at all time low. Right, this is the first time that they actually even acknowledge me to get it, Oscar. This is the one I did my best job at.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I've been on social media trying to be cool through this whole thing that's happening with me and my wife. I don't got to go into specifics. If anybody had a camera come in their house with them and their wife or them as a marriage, they would burn their house down to keep you out of their right because some things ain't nobody business, correct. So he's dealing with that and balancing his whole, his whole persona. He is Will Smith, right, he never gonna stop. He always gonna be the best. And to me, he's a winner, you know, and we do. Any of us has to have moments. Yes, Yeah, that's why the dude roll in sand. Let the first one throw the stone without the sin.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, if the whole world was out for we all be sitting here going, hey, give me some water, you know. And so I just thought it was fear. But that's just my take because it was all on the line. It was all on the line. It's like it was getting really hot. You know, A person jumps out of the World Trade Center at the one hundred and eighteenth floor, and you go, why would they do that? Because the pain got so intense. They didn't care. They just want to really fast, you know. And I thought that that's what really happened, was that he just was extremely frightened about not getting in at what people think. They're already thinking this thing, you know, and he I don't say, I wouldn't say he was wrong for being fearful, you know, but wrong for wrong for busting somebody in the mouth. And he did nothing to you, you know. Jada Pete can't put it on that no, no.
Speaker 2: No no, but her she heard I read when she cut filming short so you could actually talk to your birth mom.
Speaker 1: They're good friends, get okay, Jada from Jada's from one of my best friends. Yeah, you know, we're real, real tight, right, And she saw that something was wrong with me one day. I don't know how you know how you know people yes, yes, yes, and so were about to do the scene and I'm laughing at joke, and she said, what's wrong with you? I said, what you talking about?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Go ahead, girl, she said, something's wrong with you. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I'm like, what you're talking about? What's going on? She said, something's wrong? She said, come here, what's happening with you? Like, girl, what are you talking about? I said, I just met my real mother for the first time. She said, that's it, you guys, that's a wrap for the day. Go deal with that. Man. You can't be exposed to that right now and be normal under no circumstance. Go deal with that. So what was the conversation? Like with you? So? How long can you had never met your birth mother?
Speaker 2: Never?
Speaker 1: And so how old were you when this happened. I think it was probably about thirty four. So you have a conversation with your birth mother? How did that?
Speaker 2: How did so? What? How did conversation start?
Speaker 1: It was hard because she's like, hi, baby, and this that and the other, like this ain't my mother, you know instinctively, my gut, you ain't my mom, you know what I mean? And so we talked and it was really just kind of a kind of a house the sunshine and that kind of thing. It's really good to meet you, you know, And she's like, likewise, you know, stay in touch in that thing, did you? Ah? Yeah, I did. But I went through a lot over that because it triggered some stuff in me that was from so far back. As long as I wasn't exposed to her, I never would have started experiencing the things I experienced inside. I started really experiencing like like using using anxiety, man like like low low low sadness and and and anxiety, and like I started feeling really crappy and and I didn't expect it either because my mom never told me she would go do that. My mom, she said, I got your mom on the phone, your real mom, and I found her randomly in the database because she worked at Housing Urban Development, so she saw her name and she said, this can't be her, and it was her. You want to talk to it? I was like, I don't know. I want to say it now. Well, I don't know. So what question did you have?
Speaker 2: Did you have?
Speaker 1: Why did you give me up? Why didn't you keep me? We didn't get to it then. It wasn't until later later, you know, we did we actually did therapy together. Wow, you know, and we actually got to the point where I remember going to visit even I saw the whole family. So I was filled with george just to see people of my color that looked like me, looked like all my little kids. We got the same little nose and everything, right, So that was good to see. But I went over there just to really visit the family, right, and on Easter. Easter was the day my natural brother lost his life, died that day. So I was like, let me just go over there, give love to that, you know, I'm I'm I'm a person of the world. And so as they were doing the prayers, she and she's a Baptist minister, so she goes around the country, you know, doing that, and so she's going to say the prayers, and during the prayers, she started saying Tommy was a hard baby to take care of. He had whelps all over his body, you know, and he would bleed over those and he cry a lot. It's hard to take care of it. And his mother stole her from him, from me, and blah blah blah blah, that's not the time, right right right, So I'm there, yeah, man, that that it hurt, but I'm babba Davidson's son, though, right, So I just said, took a deep breath and I took over. I said, you, guys, I don't think. I don't think today is about that. You know, that was so long ago and the world was so different back then. You know, I'm the person that I am now, you know, and and who's so who from it doesn't even matter. It's it's it's a it's a it's a miracle really because here I am part of both of y'all. You see what I mean, And this is the day that we should be thinking about our man, his homegoing right. And after they dropped hands, I was like, I looked at my nephew, who I loved so much, and my bigger brother, who remembered me being left my only two only the two oldest ones remember me. The rest of them are like, you mean, my brother's don't live a color you crazy? They were crying like, oh man, it's so good to see you. When I first met him, and it was on Christmas, my brother like a big brother, could do you notice he walked me to the elevator. He told me, look at me right here, I'm your brother, your big brother here, And I was like, yeah, okay, you know that's it's one of them things that you got to you gotta give them that you ain't gonna you see what I mean that he meant it, and I left out of there, and then one of her sisters, one of my mother's sisters, stopped me at the stairs and said, good for you, good for you. Somebody need to tell her something, you know. I said thank you, and then we left, and then my nephew turned to me as we were driving, he said, you know what, Tommy, I think what happened just now is probably the best thing that ever happened to my family, you know. And I was able to convince her to come to therapy, you know, with my mother, and we did it and that's when it all came out. She was there in that kind of denial. And it was a family session, right, So all family families talk about their issues, and then they have a group of people that trust each other get feedback.
Speaker 2: On what she was trying to place.
Speaker 1: The blame r else other than right, right, And everybody said, Tommy, I'm named after her country girl, Tommy Jean.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So my mother gave me her name right right, And everybody was saying, hey, you know, it sounds like you blame it on him, and then that's what it sounds like. It all of them had feedback. So when it came back to her, it was like it was something to watch. Wow. She started trembling and she went into like a like a seizure like you know, and she was on herself and threw up and all that stuff. And then they came back and got her together, and she came back to the room and she told me what happened. Wow, she said, I was scared. She said, I was nineteen. I already had four kids. Wow. I was seeing a guy who was fifty something, who already had a family, and it was rich. He was rich in country terms, because I'm from Greenville, Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: So if you're an undertaker, you know you up with it, you know what I mean. So I was his chick on the side, you know. And plus I got I got strung out on heroin. So I was out the streets. I had the kids, and I was losing it, man, and I got scared. I got an opportunity to go to Detroit or to move the kids to Milwaukee, and I just left you. I just put it out of my mind. You know. She was crying hysterically, and then I saw her in that, in that state, and I was able to forgive her because I saw it. But you dealt with some issues of your own.
Speaker 2: Did that traumatic experience play a role in what you ended up having to deal with and what you had to overcome?
Speaker 1: I think it was all of it. It was it was, it was all of it. It was just my life up to that point, you know, And it was a meant to be processed that I had to go through, you know, to get to know God a little bit better and get to know what his intention was from me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was going through like like the the bottom, you know, and I dealt with everything, drugs, drink, all of it. And I was in my in my bedroom by myself in the dark. All my good friends were like gone, like we can't, we can't watch this. So my friend God bless him in his family major brown from they from Tosa, Oklahoma. I never see no black folks like that ever. I never see I never met black black people from the South. Y'all were a revelation to me. Y'all, old y'all are whole different thing. Man, So they sent me a prayer I'll tell you how different y'all are. Major went, I went to visit his family, and his grandmother answered the door, right, she about ninety. She opened the door and she said to him, give it to me. I was like, huh, she said, give it to me, and he's standing there. She said, come on, give it to me, and he did his Easter recital word for word.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's a different thing, you know. So they sent me a prayer cloth right from the whole family, prayed artist, you know. And I put it between my Bible and I was like, ah, man, it works, So I guess of whatever, right, right? And then his sister called me thing and I picked up the phone and she said, you know what, Tommy, She said, sometimes we just have to hang. We have to hang in there. We got to hang like he did in pain and have faith that it's going to pass.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: She said, you think that felt good? One here, one here, one here, and he's and his body weight is only holding him. You think that felt good? Crowd of throwing on his head, right, Even he doubted it, even at the point he was saying, what the hell right? But that faith right? Right, she said, sometimes we just got to hang in that pain. And I hung in it. How hard was it?
Speaker 2: Look, I'm a firm believer it's a lot easier going through something in private. You're a public person and you're going through your addictions a public figure in a public way. Did it make it more difficult? Did it make you a shame? Did it make you withdraw?
Speaker 1: Actually, in ways it did, but it didn't because I got to the point where it didn't matter. It wasn't about that. It's about me, right, It's about me being alive and me being able to enjoy what life has to give me. Because I really didn't know. My Auntie told me, you ain't know no better, you know. I remember going to her when I had a year sober. I said, all y, I got a year sober, and she said, now don't you feel better? Said? Yeah, I feel better. She said, that's all the matter is that you feel better. And she said, I got to go to the store, you know. So it was like one of those things where I had to dig in and do the work so that can keep the life I have. And I had to realize that it was good in the first place, you know, And there was a lot of stuff shrouding that stuff. That's why I wrote the book. I wrote the book because if I can do it, then others can. And if I be specific, that's why I don't go into the specific. And that's why I got my book, because it's a one on one experience when you read it, so you can get to it. And I also did the voice over so you can really hear one on one, you know. And that was my gift back to the good universe and to the God I know, and to all the love that I got from all the people you know that didn't even know me. You know, when I lived in when I when I lived in the Midwest, when I was a kid, I never heard the word nigga from a white person. White person. White people ain't the same. They' all don't think the same, they' all don't hate us. I don't care what nobody says. I'm speaking from my experience.
Speaker 2: That's all you can speak from.
Speaker 1: Right. How can I become me and not know that as a fact, right, right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So it just became a very important book for me because I realized that I can take all those experiences that I went that I paid for through through sadness, through despair and all of that, all of that, and let me put it in a book that they can grab and go through and maybe they can compare what they're going through, well what I was going through, like I did with books, like I did with stuff people gave me. Let me pass it on, right, let me pass it on, Mount Rushman. Who's your Mount Rushmore? Comedians me? No, it was Prior.
Speaker 6: Eddie Hm, Cosby, Fox j Red Jamie Red.
Speaker 1: We're talking about stand up, stand up comedy. I'm gonna forget his name.
Speaker 2: Prior Fox, Red Red, No, Prior Fox Cosby Red.
Speaker 1: Red Fox is the same person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, well you know Richard p Yeah, Red Fox, Right, Bill Cosby, you got one more?
Speaker 1: I get one more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what that's about.
Speaker 1: Rushmore. You got four heads on about Rushmore. O'kay fine, uh no, not a bonus, nope, skip No, I'm just kidding, Skipper, give me bone. No man, hands be old too. You just can't see it.
Speaker 2: Uh So, So.
Speaker 1: Bernie, I'm gonna have to say, George Carlin, I'm gonna have to throw him in there.
Speaker 2: I thought you were gonna go Chappelle.
Speaker 1: Oh man, But that's my contemporary.
Speaker 2: So you know what, that's the exact same thing. Smooth said, Damn, I had JB.
Speaker 1: Smooth.
Speaker 2: Then he said, man, it's great as Chappelle live. He'll contemporary. I can't put him up Yeah, yeah, it's not. It's not like but I put him up there because I don't understand that. Boy, I don't understand him. You know, I'm sweating by the end of the show because that's the way I do show. He can stand there and smoke a cigarette. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it's something that about him and the times that we're in right where he's able to make everybody laugh during these circumstances, and that got to take a genius. You know, he grew up in my neighborhood, right in my neighborhood. Yeah, he used to be scared of us, right, like even still today. I'm like, that's a long time ago, man, right, you know what I mean, Like, you know, we're always different. But it's just the amazing things that he can do. He can say some things that nobody can say. He tell a story, man, he can tell no one can say that, and he makes it.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm saying, I guess there's truth that you know, there's truth in comedy, and he can tell he can tell a story truthfully and make it funny.
Speaker 1: Now he looks like Schegel. I'm just kidding, but but I'm just saying I'm a big lord of the ring. That's alone has nothing to do it anyway. I like the name Schmigl anyway, so so so he's a he's a genius and all of them is right. Man. Every time I say I'm the best, I look at somebody and go, well, you know, you know, hey, you got some more work to do. Still, still, you know, because it's the process, right right, You add things on, you know, and you can always have room for growth.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm discounting your what you call them because of Murphy. Better be on my rushmore too.
Speaker 1: I put him, didn't I?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I put Eddie first, prior check the tapes? Did he put erdie? No? Didn't I say Eddie first?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I meant to say it first, though. You must be talking about Eddie Haskell much. I meant to say Eddie first, though. No, you didn't skip.
Speaker 2: No, No, Hey, I'm gonna get out of here.
Speaker 1: You got a few more, all right? P Diddy was your assistant?
Speaker 2: What kind of My sister was P Diddy, because you remember he had he had that reality show and then he trying to find the sisters. He worked, he worked.
Speaker 1: Don't work the dog at him. Man, you work? Nah, Nah, I did. I didn't have to. I didn't have to. He was a hard worker. He was smart as a whip. He's there for everything I need. We was out every night in New York. He shook me to every club and I knew he was gonna be something, but I didn't know it's gonna be like that. Yeah, I knew he was. That boy was smart. First thing he said to me was you got get rid of his widow's peak. And I was like, I ain't getting rid of a widow peak. He said, but when he get on the big screen, it's gonna look big. I said, Man, this is mine. This way I do my thing. Man, strictly business came on and I seen it. I looked like a vampire with a shark fin Yeah, okay, I was like, damn it.
Speaker 2: He was right, man.
Speaker 1: You know, he was sharp, and he's a cool kid, a cool kid, and straight up I saw him bus one of the one of the big Union dudes. In the face you know, because the Union dude was up on him. He tried to warn him, said, I'm just dropping his bags off. You gotta get that out of here. You know, I'm just tired that I'm in assistant. I'm trying to drop his bag off. He said, get it out of here, and get it out of here. And now he said, well why am I? How am I gonna put it too? And the big dude lunch and he died, caught him with the corner of the corner. Corner corner in the corner corner corner opened him up. Yeah, in the corner was like, you know, you know, it's like Denzel when he was getting whipped, you know in Chlory and the terror came out that side, you know what I mean. Right, Yeah, And he was calling around and he called me and said I can't get out, and I said, I come down there, and I just tried my influence and my name and all that. They said they let him out of his personal recognizance. And that's one person. He never forgot me never. We still we still like that. Wow. You know, he shortened me because I'm older than him, you know what I mean. But shorty man, he's He's gone to a whole nother level. I wish I could talk to him sometimes. I wish we had that that that because I can help him to I see right, you know, but I think I can help everybody. But I wish I had an opportunity to do that.
Speaker 2: But I do.
Speaker 1: I just can't choose who I'm gonna do it with right anything you like to promote. I know you're a musician, but you got a website. I got a website.
Speaker 2: What is it? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm asking you.
Speaker 2: Is your website Tommy Davison?
Speaker 1: My website is d Tommy Davidson. What the Tommy Davis dot com? As a matter of fact, so what is the website? What are you doing on the website? Everywhere you can get me? Everywhere. You can get my music, you can get my tour, you can get clips. I got a tie line. We've been meeting to bring you that ever since you got on TV. We got to send you some everything that I've done, sketches. You know, everything about me you can and it'll take you to It'll take you straight to TikTok, straight to Instagram. It's like my central central.
Speaker 2: Place, you know.
Speaker 1: And I've just been blessed. You know, I gotta I got a new single out. I know it's called I know my new song. I know with Richard Elliott, I broke it into smooth jazz. Who knows where I'm going to go next? You know, I've been able to get into the smooth jazz industry as a singer. When I saw Jamie as a singer, I was like, Okay, that's good because he broke it in. But I wanted to do that. But I had to find the right lane for me, right right, Like what does the coach bring to your to your teams? They bring their philosophy right, how they work it right, and then you guys kind of shape it with what y'all do you know when we did this at this school or whatever, they can modify it and not be too too rigid. Right, No, that's what we're doing. And how many coaches that we've seen, yes, gone because this is the system that exactly. So that's kind of how how I looked at music. Where can I be most successful? Now? Where can I have it be something genuine you know and real about me with the music, and how can I help the listener? Okay, you know when I see her kids listening to what's going on in the radio now, I don't really see a lot of stuff that can really help them grow and be and be much much stronger, you know, spiritually stronger, mentally stronger. I just don't see that happening in the music that's coming out of them. You know, I'm gonna do the music that's natural to me and just let it be, you know. I'm just stay in my lane and just do what I do and just let it kind of flower from there, because I've been a musician and a singer since i was a little kid, you know, and so I'm just I'm doing like Plexico did. Plex Goo. Uh. They had them an interview, right all.
Speaker 2: Right, plex Goo you you you shot yourself in the in the leg. You were in jail, you know, a whole year off. You hear in the super Bowl you catch the clutch, catch to close this thing out?
Speaker 1: What what what do you?
Speaker 4: What do you?
Speaker 1: What do you take for that? He said? I just asked God this morning, if you just get me to the field, I'll appreciate just that.
Speaker 2: Ray, Ray, you were up for a drug I mean the shootings. You were about to go to jail, as a whole season. The Patriots put up a thing, this your your party. You end up getting MVP and the big old dancing Hoiston. What are you attest to that? He said, Well, I knew God would have put me through such a trial unless there was.
Speaker 1: A tronymph behind it. I got brand new ears where I can hear, I can hear it. The Obannons won the national championship, right, and they were the last seed and all this, and they asked them, you know, how did you do this? And they said, we went this season by faith and not by sight, you know. And these are the principles that that I think are important for me. Right, But this is my society too, right, Right, because I'm Africa, just my cultural culturally African, and I'm an African American here doesn't mean I'm outside of humanity, right, I'm a part of humanity too. So why can't I speak on all our behalf? Everybody else do?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Exactly? I got I got some input, right, and it's valid. Right, you know, if I wasn't worth nothing, they wanted to have brought me over here.
Speaker 2: Here you go.
Speaker 1: We got it done, man, We got it done. That was years of passing each other. Man. Yeah, thank you man, thank you for let me talk. Man.
Speaker 2: Thanks for sharing your story.
Speaker 1: You got it. Really appreciate it. Shay Shane, tell me Davidson.
Speaker 4: All my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle the price, want to slice?
Speaker 1: Got all my life? I've been grinding all my life, all my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice. I should play the price. One slice to pull the dice.
Speaker 4: To swap all my life.
Speaker 1: I'd be grinding all my life.
Speaker 3: M hm