Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Laney. So in August of twenty nineteen, I started having wild bowel movements. That's about the only way that I can put it. I have celiac. I have irritable bowel. And these stools were nothing like I had ever encountered before. They were coming every hour to half an hour. Seemed like I couldn't be more than ten feet from my bathroom at any given time. I went to our little local first daid station kind of at my husband's job, and they had medical staff, and I said, look, something's not right, it's not okay. I intentionally withheld the fact that I had celiac disease, knowing that a lot of doctors actually like to just hang their hat on any GI symptom. And at the very end she had had gone through everything was gonna just basically say, if it's still not okay in a couple of days, come back. And somehow the word got out that I had celiac disease. And she said, oh, you must have just had gluten, that's all. And even though I was sure, she said, have some bananas, drink lots of water. Your stool should firm up and everything will be fine, and all I really wanted to do was go to my normal GP, but in rural Iowa, he was over an hour away and I could not make that trip to save my life. No bathrooms on the way, no gas stations. It would have been like me in a cornfield, So not an option. Finally, when I was having what I would consider a good day, I called my doctor and I said, I'm on my way, I need to come see you, and he submitted a test for SEDIFF. Sure enough, I came back positive. From there, we went through basically the standard first steps and I was put on a course of metronitisolar flagile. I saw a little improvement, but once the course of antibiotics was finished, it was all right back. So then he called in oral Vancomyasin. Thankfully that cleared it up. After the fact, we were trying to do a little research on how I acquired my seat of infection, and it wasn't until it was a long thought, afterthought that I had a bug bite before that and it had gotten infected and they had put me on superflexis in about two months prior. Fast forwarding to March of twenty twenty one, I am a vet tech and it was my third week on the job, we were still doing curbside because of COVID. I went out to go get a dog to bring it into the hospital. Somehow the dogs muscle slipped off when the owner was placing its lead on it, lunched at me, tackled me into a snow bank, and I had puncture wounds in my arm and had to go seek medical attention, where they put me on clintamyasin and zyperflexisin. I mentioned to urgent care, I have a history of cediff. Please help me. That's not what we should be doing. And instead of her directions for having a yogurt every day, she suggested a take to have two yogurts every day. That was a little insulting, to say the least. A few days later, my armhead absessed. I went to my current doctor's emergency room. I went in and they said, we need to admit you to the hospital. They started me on ivy vankamyasin, ivy metronitisol and ivy is trianam, which is a pretty kind of novel antibiotic that they only use in real serious cases. From there, my bite moom cleaned up. I was messaging my doctor like every day, at least a couple times a day, freaking out about having sea diiff again, sure that I was probably going to have it again, and he agreed that I was probably going to have seediff again from all of these antibiotics. Finally, when I was discharged from the hospital three days later, they don't have an oral version of as tree and am, so they put me on leva floxis, in another broad spectrum antibiotic. My heart kind of sank, knowing what the future held. It was about ten days after I was home from the hospital, had gone back to work, those urgent loose tools that when you feel it you need to sprint to the bathroom, but don't spread too fast. And I called my doctor and I said, look, I think I've got sea diiff. He ordered the test. I came down and I positive for SEEDFF. So they started me on oral vank commiasin right away, and finally, after it was a month on the bank commosin and doing a taper, things were starting to kind of finally feel normal. I finished my antibiotics and it wasn't three days later before I was at work and I realized, in the last hour and a half I've gone to the bathroom three times. I messaged my doctor while I was at work. I said, I need another test. I don't think it's gone, And sure enough I went over our lunch break, I took a longer lunch than we normally have and went down and by the time we were done. That night at work, I had my results that I had seediff again. I had a recurren seed if infection. That meant my doctor was calling infectious disease specialists and I spoke to infectious disease specialists and they referred me immediately to you a research trial for fecal transplant. They didn't even want to see me and they just sent me straight there. Then I get the phone call and I tell them my story. They said, you absolutely qualify for a fecal transplant with your recurrent infection. Will schedule you for. It was June thirtieth. It was my transplant date, and I had it circled and like starred on a calendar, but it was still a month out. So it was exhilarating but also a nerving knowing that I had to deal with this infection. So we started another Vincimizon taper. I stayed on the dose that basically kept my stools solid. From there, I waited until my transplant date. My transplant was colon ascapy guided, so they did a colonoscopy and then they came in and applied the fecal transplant matter. I remember wheeling it in to the colon ass could be room and seeing a jar with brown liquid in it, and I took a selfie with it. I was so excited. I screamed, that's my poop, that's my new poop, and the doctors laughed at me. I was just so excited. Thankfully, post transplant, things are going well. I have post infectious irritable bewel, probably on top of normal irritable bell, but they're still calling it post infection. So day to day life things are going pretty well. However, every time I feel like a little gas bubble or I get a funny little cramp, my heart sinks and I'm worried that the seed off his back because the doctors did notify me that my infection was relatively severe and that I might have to kind of get what they call little tune ups as far as just additional fecal transplants in the future, and so every time I get a funny little feeling I'm instantly worried, and my doctor even associates that with a little bit of PTSD. Honestly, from the whole event, it's interesting to think that I have more trauma from the medical fallout from my dog bite than the actual dog bite itself. Seed Iff has really stuck with me for anyone who's comparing it, because my mom was trying to put a label on it. She was saying, it can't be worse than kolonoscopy prep. It can't be worse than kolonoscopy prep. And I can officially say, after doing both that seed Iff is much worse.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Laney for taking the time to share your story with us. That's intense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, thank you.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm Erin Welsh and I'm Erin Alman Updike and this is this podcast will kill you.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone.
Speaker 4: We're excited about this episode.
Speaker 3: As we are about all our episodes. It's genuine excitement.
Speaker 4: It always is.
Speaker 2: Today we're talking about Claustridium difficile a ka se diff Seediff.
Speaker 3: That's how I'm going to talk about it for the of the episode. But we're not talking just about this problematic pathogen. We're also talking about one of my favorite solutions to infection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of my favorite solutions to a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I simply love it. And of course we are talking about fecal microbiota transplantation.
Speaker 2: Aka fecal transplant. We have talked about this like, we've dabbled in it and several other episodes and been like ooh, someday, ooh, someday, that day.
Speaker 4: Is finally here everyone.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is not going to be like a full takedown of the microbiome and all the impact that it has on different conditions or whatever in this associations, but we are going to do somewhat of a deep dive into fecal transplants or fmts, and we are very excited to bring on a special guest, an expert guest, to help us out with that. But that's jumping way ahead of ourselves.
Speaker 2: It is because first, it's quarantine.
Speaker 3: Any time, it is what are we drinking this week?
Speaker 2: This week we're drinking the slurry?
Speaker 3: This We're sorry is that when everyone wants to drink? Okay, So the thing is, it was either make a gross recipe or a gross name and not both and so one or the other had to happen. But yeah, exactly, I mean, like we are but human. So what is in the slurry? This?
Speaker 2: The slurry contains mango, pineapple, lime, tamarind, and tequila, all delicious things. And of course you gotta blend it up.
Speaker 3: You got to. You gotta blend it up. But it tastes good, right, and it's like yeah, so.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like very fruity. It's a lot of flavors. We promise it's worth it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And we will post the full recipe for this slurry quarantine as well as the non alcoholic place sy Burrita on our website this podcast will Kill You dot com, as well as on all of our social media channels.
Speaker 2: Yes, we will, Aaron, What other business should we tell everyone about?
Speaker 3: Well, how about our website? Okay, it's my turn to do the rundown of things on there. I'm nervous.
Speaker 4: You can do it. I believe in you.
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go. We have all of our references to all of our episodes on each episode page. We have transcripts. We have links to our bookshop dot org affiliate page, and our good Raids list. We have links to music Bloodmobile now on Spotify. We have links to our merch which we have very incredible merch.
Speaker 4: Please check it out.
Speaker 3: And we have a pro code page. I mean, I think that's that's got to be most of the things on there.
Speaker 2: It's most of the things. Definitely check it out. This podcast will kill You dot com. So does that mean we're ready to talk about C DIFF?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I think so. Thanks also to everyone who has requested this over the years. Yeah, and we hope you liked the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's get right into it after this break.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I don't know if anyone but me would notice this, but I think it's funny. I'm going to start this episode almost identically to Anthrax. I think, oh our Anthrax episode.
Speaker 3: I don't remember this, so this is good.
Speaker 2: It's fine, nobody will. But as I was typing it, I was like, this sounds familiar. And then I opened my Anthrax notes and I was like, ah, okay. Claustridium difficile infection is caused by an anaerobic gram positive rod shaped spore forming toxin producing bacterium.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hold on, okay, a quick question already already?
Speaker 4: What then is that? Also?
Speaker 3: How you started the botulism episode.
Speaker 2: Ooh, probably, yeah, probably, Okay, I genuinely forgot that we ever did botulism erin.
Speaker 4: It was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: I loved that. I loved that it was.
Speaker 4: A good episode. I forgot.
Speaker 2: It'll also be probably the way that I start tetanus whenever we do that, so, you know, So for the remainder of this episode, like we said, I'm probably just gonna refer to this as sea diff because it's easier and shorter, and that's how I'm we're gonna say it. So, sea diff causes an infection that most of the time, very commonly is what's called a nosocomial infection, which means hospital or healthcare acquired. So the way that I've tried to organize this biology section is to first focus on the disease that Clusterdium difficiale can cause, how it's transmitted, how it makes us sick, and then take kind of a bigger picture view and talk a little bit about the microbiome as it relates to sea diff infection.
Speaker 4: Because as a spoiler.
Speaker 2: That Aaron, I know, you probably already know, and many listeners may know, but se diff doesn't always or necessarily cause infection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's like, uh, it's got to be one of our first besides MRSA maybe like opportunistic super opportunistic pathogens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we haven't covered a lot of opportunistic pathogens on here. This is definitely one of them, but we'll get there eventually. First of all, transmission of sea diff at like the most basic level. The way that anyone in the world gets exposed to sea diff in the first place is fecal oral so poop in mouth. It's a common mode of transmission, especially for GI bacteria, and sea diff, like I mentioned, is a spore forming bacterium like our friend Bascillas anthrasis and Clusterdium tetani and also Botulinum and clusterdrium bochculainum. Anyways, see diff is also an anaerobic bacterium. Like a lot of our gut bacteria are either entirely or facultatively anaerobic, which means that they survive without oxygen. So what happens in the case of seedff is that on contact with oxygen, like when we poop out this bacterium, it forms spores, and these spores are very highly environmentally resistant inactive forms of this bacteria. They really can't easily be killed by heat or cold or alcohol, and they can persist in the environment, not dying or desiccating, just hanging out until they're ingested by another human or animal, because animals can also get infected.
Speaker 4: And then once we ingest them.
Speaker 2: These spores can easily survive the acidic environment of our stomach, travel through our guts, and then these spores are activated in our small or large intestine when they come into contact with our bile acids.
Speaker 4: Hmm, isn't that fascinating?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I have a question about how long these spores can last.
Speaker 4: Oh, good question.
Speaker 2: I don't have an exact timeline, but definitely on the order of months, possibly years, depending on the conditions.
Speaker 3: I really hate that about these things. Yeah, it's very It makes it very scary and like it feels a bit challenging.
Speaker 4: Oh, very very challenging.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the bile acids, like, what about them?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What is bile acid I'm.
Speaker 4: So glad that you asked, Arin.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you so. Bile acids are basically cholesterol derivatives. Our liver makes bile and secretes it into our gallbladder where it's like stored, and then whenever you eat something, it sends signals to our gall butter to contract squeeze out the bile and that goes into our small intestine. And these bile acids help support digestion, especially the digestion and eventual absorption.
Speaker 3: Of fats huh okay.
Speaker 2: And it's a little bit more complicated. There's like multiple kinds of bile acids, and they're converted in our small intestine from like primary into secondary. And it seems like when sea diff spores come into contact with some types of these bio acids, especially in higher concentrations, that's when they very easily reactivate into a live, replicatable, mobile sea diff bacteria, which can then replicate and replicate and kind of beat out other bacteria in our guts and eventually cause infection.
Speaker 3: Are there other bacteria that are activated or inactivated by biole like do the bile acids kill a lot of potentially food born bacteria or are other food born bacteria resistant to bio acids.
Speaker 2: That's a good question I don't fully know the answer to, but I'm going to put a pin in it because I want to kind of get back to bio acids in a minute, okay, as it relates to our gut microbiome. Okay, So now the spores are activated, sea diff is replicating, and then somehow this leads to disease.
Speaker 4: How you may ask Aaron if you wanted to.
Speaker 2: I do okay, good, okay. Some species of sea diff. Not only do they form these spores in adverse conditions, but they also have the ability to produce toxins. And it turns out that it's these toxins, not the bacteria themselves, that are capable of causing infection aka sea diff colitis. So let's talk about what that actually looks like. Predominantly, se diff the toxogenic strains, the strains that produce toxins produce two major talks, very creatively named toxin A and toxin B. Keeps it easy, and essentially, what these two toxins do is they work together to ultimately disrupt the membranes of the cells that line your gut, and this results in little micro ulcerations of our gut wall, little little holes. It also disrupts the junction between cells which are supposed to be you know, a nice tight line of cells lining our gut. Basically, these toxins get in there and kind of shred the lining between them, leaving holes, which increases permeability, and that is what leads to watery, massive amounts of diarrhea. These toxins also then induce apoptosis and kill the cells that line our gut wall because of all of this disruption, and that leads to a lot of inflammation that can cause the formation of what are called pseudo membranes, which sounds gross and it looks gross.
Speaker 4: It's essentially just.
Speaker 2: Hordes of these dead cells mixed with bacteria and white blood cells and inflammatory gunk, and it forms this kind of membrane that then lines your gut, which even further prevents your colon from doing its job right of absorbing water, et cetera, which then leads to even more diarrhea.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm assuming that the benefit that seaediff gets from these toxins is that it can sort of wipe out the competition and even further and colonize as much as it wants to your intestines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 2: Maybe probably, I would guess, though, I mean, certainly it makes it hard for anything else to exist. Where these pseudo membranes exist.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it might not be necessarily helping with the colonization, but it helps clear the competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because sea diiff is actually not a very good competitor to begin with, right, whether whether it's toxogenic or non toxogenic. So maybe these toxins are helping a little bit and making it a little bit more competitive. But I don't know for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, toxins are costly to make m H, so you would think there'd be some sort of benefit from well toxins.
Speaker 2: I mean kind of like we've talked about in a lot of our bacterial pathogens that cause diarrhea. People who are having massive watery diarrhea because of sea diiff are spreading billions of spores, and spores, yeah, are very environmentally hardy, and so perhaps that's the major advantage, is that you're able to spread. Okay, I don't know if it's that satisfying, but but that's kind of the main and result. There's a lot more detail on these toxins. They're very interesting. There's also another toxin that is present in some strains that seems to when its present cause even more severe disease. Uh, But I'm not going to get into all of the specific biochemistry of it, because there's a lot more that I want to talk about with zetiff. But the end result of these toxins and the disruption that they cause in the lining of our colon, the death that they cause of the cells that line our colon, and all of this inflammation is what really causes the symptoms that we see.
Speaker 3: Is it only the toxogenic strains that cause disease?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there are a lot of studies looking at do you have to have both of these toxins because it's toxin A and toxin B or could you have just one of these toxins. There's still some question as to that. It seems like in some models or in some clinical studies, they've seen that strains that only produce toxin B can still cause disease, so a might be kind of like a benefit but not necessary to cause disease. But then in other studies it looks like, no, you really have to have both, and if you only have one or the other, you don't really see disease from sea diiff, even though you might have colonization. So it's still a little bit I think up in the air. But it is really interesting the way that these two toxins kind of interact to then cause the actual symptoms that we see. Okay, so I've said the word symptoms like one hundred times, but I think the only thing I've said so far is diarrhea, and that is the hallmark symptom of a sea diiff infection, massive watery maybe mucis diarrhea. Generally, it's not overtly bloody diarrhea like we see with dysentery, and that's largely because seadift doesn't invade through our cells and it's very rare that it causes disease outside of the intestine. But because it is causing all of this inflammation and this damage to the lining of our gut, you can see like micro amounts of blood in the diarrhea, but usually not like what would look like bloody diarrhea. And otherwise symptoms can really really range. You can have very mild diarrhea with a set off infection to severe life threatening colitis that is the inflammation of your colon, of your gut wall. And even though it doesn't usually go outside of our colon and cause actual infection anywhere else. It can generate such a strong inflammatory response in our body that you see a lot of other signs of infectionate inflammation, a lot of abdominal pain with this infection, fevers, nausea, vomiting, generalized weakness because you're having diarrhea of all of your anything you're trying to eat, and so in severe cases, if this goes untreated, it can lead to significant dehydration, which can then lead to shock and death. It can also lead to something called toxic mega colon, which sounds horrific and talked about I think we have on shagus ah.
Speaker 4: Was it shaugus?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Essentially, toxic mega colon is where your colon gets so inflamed. It's a very different mechanism here than in shagas disease, but it becomes very very distended and is unable to move any contents down your gut the way that it's supposed to, so gas and fecal contents just keep building up, and that can lead to perforation of your bells, which is of course a life threatening emergency.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean all of this sounds not only like painful and really unpleasant, but very life threatening.
Speaker 4: Very Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the mortality rate direct due to sea diiff infection is estimated to be about five percent, but that's just for death directly due to seedff infection, So sea diff colitis causing death. If you look at overall mortality that's associated with sea diff infection, which includes like downstream complications, but also just the fact that a large proportion of people who get sea diff infection are often already sick with underlying conditions, and so the kind of associated mortality rate is often up to fifteen to twenty five percent, Or if you look at people who are already in the ICU, so already like very sick, it's up to like thirty percent, which is horrific.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah and scary.
Speaker 2: It's really really scary. Yeah, sea diff is like the scourge of hospitals.
Speaker 4: But like I said.
Speaker 2: At the top, as severe as the infection that sea diiff causes can be, it doesn't always make us sick. It's an opportunistic pathogen and aarin. You'll probably talk more about this in the history section, So I hope I'm not stepping on your toes, but Claustridium difficile was actually first identified as just like a normal component of the microbiome in a healthy infants and neonates, what like, yeah, yeah, so this is a bacterium that might exist in me, or you, aaron, or in quite a lot of you listening, just as one of the I don't know how many hundreds of species happily coexist inside of our gut microbiome. Right, So then the question becomes who gets sick from sea diff and who lives with sea diff without ever getting sick and why? And the answer relates to two major things, one of which we've kind of already touched on. So first and most obviously, is is this a toxin producing strain or not? So not all strains of sea diiff produce those toxins. And because it's the toxins and not the bacterium that causes the damage, if you are colonized with a non toxogenic strain, you're very unlikely to get sea diiff colitis or seadiff infection. And there's actually some interesting studies, and I think this might be a little bit controversial because there just isn't a ton of data on it where they separate non toxogenic from toxogenic strains. But the data that does exist suggests that if you're colonized with a non toxogenic strain, it might actually be protective against infection with a toxogenic strain. But what's interesting is it doesn't seem to be an immune mediated response necessarily.
Speaker 3: Oh so it's like competition.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, let's talk about it a little more.
Speaker 3: I mean, does that just have to do with like the fact that it's a bad competitor and it's so needs like an open playing field.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the other major thing other than strain that affects whether somebody gets Claustridium difficile infection or just is colonized with sea diff or has neither, like doesn't get seadiff infection and isn't colonized with sea diff is their microbiome and the composition of their microbiome to begin with. So I'm going to preface this by saying that all of the studies on the human microbiome, at least the ones that I read in specific how it relates to sea diiff, they're limited and have low sample sizes, So like, keep that in mind. But there's still some really interesting things from some review articles. So let me tell you what I found studies that have low at people colonized with sea diff versus not colonized with seed diff versus infected. Have found that people who test positive and have symptoms of infection with seed diff, so people sick from SEEDFF with seed diff colitis have a significant reduction in their overall microbial diversity and species richness. So for lots of people who don't know, because I even had to regogle, this species richness is just the actual number of different bacterial species that are present, and diversity is a measure of both that richness, so the number of species and the abundance of these different species. So people who get infected and get sick from seedediff have both low numbers of bacterial species in their gut and low diversity of those microbes. That's not surprising, right because we already said these are generally people who might be sick or that this is not a good competitor. But even people who are colonized with cluster named diffy Stiel without any overt signs of infection also have decreased species richness and diversity. But the distribution of species is different in these two groups. So it seems like there are certain species that are more protective against infection, and you know what, it seems like the effect of this microbiome composition on the amount of bio acids that make it all the way to your gut likely play a role.
Speaker 3: Interesting Okay, Okay, So but I have questions about this, uh huh. So this is what I think is difficult a lot about microbiome research, right, is that there's still so much we don't know, and so much is not necessarily about the species identity, like the species role, so like what's the functional role of those Like you might have two different species, but they might play a similar functional role.
Speaker 2: Right, And so that's why they think that at least they've been able to identify some of that in that the functional role of some of these species might be to decrease the amount of bio acids that activate seediff spores and therefore allow seedediff colonization activation and colonization.
Speaker 3: So then my second question is about the effect size. So like what when you say reduce the amount of bio like how much?
Speaker 2: Good question?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, it basically just shifts the ratio of primary bile acids to secondary bio acids, but I don't know by what numbers.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, interesting, but it is really interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, even though I agree, we really don't know.
Speaker 4: And so it's also like, how do we then.
Speaker 2: Translate that into something that can then you know, prevent infection. It's still hard to do, right, Right, But what's important is that the biggest risk factor for ceediff colitis is antibiotic exposure, right. And it's not surprising when you look at that studies that have looked at even very short course exposure to antibiotics rapidly reduces the diversity of your microbiome in your colon. And this diversity, this reduction in diversity rather can persist for months and months, leaving you potentially susceptible to something like an opportunistic pathogen.
Speaker 3: Right, Because remember antibiotics are some are more targeted than others, but none of them are like this will only kill this species. It's there are going to be bystanders that are wiped out just as a result of taking antibiotics.
Speaker 2: Right, And any antibiotics that you take through your mouth are going to make it to your gut, so they're going to have some kind of an effect on your gut microbiome, even if the antibiotics are for a kidney infection or a skin infection, like it's going through your gut.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other risk factors for infection, of course, are things like exposure itself. And so the reason one of the reasons that seadiff infection is so pervasive in healthcare environments is because these spores exist in really really high concentrations in the feces of people with sea diiff infection, which means that they exist in really high concentrations at healthcare facilities, and they're so environmentally resistant that they're really hard to get rid of, and so they're really easily transmitted throughout healthcare systems.
Speaker 3: It's like a nightmare. It's yeah, that's how my grandmother got sick from SEEDFF after having a knee replacement, and it was it was horrible. I mean, it was absolutely It's just horrific.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Older age is also a really big risk factor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but it's not just healthcare. This just is getting more and more depressing because there are some studies that suggest that like thirty percent of people who end up with a sea diff infection don't actually have any risk factors, which also means that this isn't a problem only in hospitals or care facilities. This is also something that exists in the environment at large. So, and there are some studies in Europe, in places like the Netherlands that suggest that this what they're what they call community acquired sea diff aka not from a hospital, actually has a higher incidence than other causes of diarrhea that we think of that we might think are more common, like Camplobacter or sale manila. So it's a really important cause of diarrhea that not only can be fatal but also often causes recurrent infection. Yeah, so like ten to twenty five percent of people will get at least one recurrent infection after an initial infection, and of those people who get it twice, something like forty to sixty five percent of them may go on to have another and another.
Speaker 3: Just like MRSA.
Speaker 4: Again, yeah, exactly right. I think with c DIFF.
Speaker 2: It's one of those infections that it has become so clear how important the gut microbiome is to the establishment and persistence of an infection like this, or to the establishment and the susceptibility to an infection like this is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's kind of like the perfect example of like, oh hey, this thing that we didn't really think all that much about turns out that there's a very important balance and delicate balance, and the disruption of that is deadly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or it can be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's all for the biology are I mean, it is still a treatable infection a lot of the time, but again because.
Speaker 2: Of the recurrence and the resistance and the resistance. Well, the good news is that later in.
Speaker 4: This episode we are going to get to talk about.
Speaker 2: Fecal transplants mm hmmm, fecal microbiota transplants a ka f MT, putting healthy bacteria back into your colon. We'll talk more about it later, as well as other novel treatments and prevention strategies. But first, Aaron, tell me what's up with this? Where did it come from? Has it always been with us? Why is it making us so sick?
Speaker 3: Good questions? Good questions. I will try to answer them right after this break. The story that I want to tell for this history section is really more like two stories, each with a central main character to kind of origin stories, to rise of the villain or hero stories, and then only closer to the end, the two threads of the stories meet, and unlike most straightforward hero versus villain or good versus evil stories, the conflict doesn't drag on and on, although there's still a material for many sequels, but rather it resolves itself, I think, fairly quickly and in a satisfying way. So who are these two main characters? Tell me, Well, the first is probably fairly obvious because it's the topic of today's episode, and you've already gone in great detail about the biology of it, okay, Clostridium difficile. And the second might be pretty obvious to since we've also already talked about it. But I wanted to talk a bit about the history of fecal microbiotic transplantations or FMT, which are I think at least one of the obvious heroes in this story. And I also fully acknowledge that it's unfair and you know, anthropomorphizing to cast Seediff in the villain role, and that you know, these bacteria might be more accurately described as pawns without motive verguile, allowed only to cause the damage they do because of a human invention antibiotics. But I'm getting ahead of myself. And also I don't know how much time we need to spend in this particular episode about like anthropomorphizing of microbes and the symbolic language that we use, like battle and war on microbes whatever. It would be an interesting I would like to write a paper about that.
Speaker 4: That would be really interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what words do we use? Because words matter? Anyway, Seediff, where did it come from? Well, the group Claustridium itself is incredibly ancient. It's estimated to have diverged from the bacterial domain about two point three four billion years ago, which is what I saw, and that's right around the same time that the atmosphere began to contain more and more oxygen. And while I don't know the exact specific origin of seaediff itself, I would imagine that based on its genome and its ability to coexist with humans and many other animals, it's been a part of our gut microbiota and the microbiota of many other animals for quite some time. And genomic analyzes of seediff also support this. The genome of a particular strain of seedff, I think one of the most predominant ones was fully sequenced and annotated around two thousand and six, and this analysis is a genomic look told us a lot about the ecology of this bacterium and the type of relationship that it has with its host like humans. So first, it told us that sea diiff is really well adapted to coexist with its host, not just to kill or pathogenically infect and cause disease, which is in contrast to a relative of seed Iff that we've talked about before, Claustridie and Bochelinum. So Clustridi and Bochulinum in contrast, contains many unique genes that are involved with like direct disease mortality, which is just I think that's interesting because that does speak to sort of the more multifaceted relationship that seediff has to humans. It's not necessarily just a pathogen.
Speaker 2: Right, So yeah, and it's and I mean it's not just a path right, So it's.
Speaker 3: A little bit it's a little bit deeper than that. Secondly, and one of the things that I find super interesting is that the species itself, like you know, all the isolates and strains and whatever that make up seed iff that we know about, they are incredibly diverse, even when compared to other bacterial species that have high genetic variability. So, according to one paper I read by night at All from twenty fifteen, the amount of shared core genome of seed iff, So in my understanding, that's the amount of genome shared across all isolates of seed iff, like the core genome or whatever is as low as sixteen percent, what which is lower than has been observed for any other bacterial species so far. And so what does that mean? Well, so, of course there's like natural genomic variation across members of an individual species like aaron, you and I, we don't share the same exact genome, right, But what this means is essentially that the amount of genomic variation across sea diiff is more along what you might expect for like members of a different genus, rather than among strains within a species. And so this research and other research has called into question Seaediff's designation as one species, with more researchers suggesting that we take a new approach to the taxonomy of seediff, so for instance, by recognizing certain strains as subspecies or separate species entirely, like the.
Speaker 4: Non toxogenic versus toxogenic that.
Speaker 3: Kind of something like that yeah, and so what does that mean in practice, I don't know, but I think it could have a lot to do, like, I don't know the evolution of this, trying to predict the evolution and the geographic spread, which wants to worry about, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's also about.
Speaker 2: It would really change the way that we've gotten estimates for things like seediff colonization in the past, because right that it's been like all of these strains lumped together.
Speaker 3: Hmm, yeah, so it would it would definitely change like the disease burden or how we look at those numbers.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So let's go back to when our villain, Seadiff was first discovered, or as it was first named Bacillis dificillis. And so, as you mentioned, Aaron, yes, this happened a long time ago, back in nineteen thirty five. Specifically, the name was changed to Claustridium difficile in nineteen thirty eight. And it happened when these two researchers in Denver, which I wanted to shout out because I don't think I've told everybody here on the podcast, but I moved to Denver this year and I love it. It's incredible, it's the best. But these two researchers were named Elizabeth O'Toole, and they collected the maconium and feces of ten newborn infants at a hospital to see what microbes might be in there. And I thought that was interesting because I guess I didn't realize that the characterization of the microbiome, or at least like the recognition of endosymbiotic bacteria, had started so early. And it's true that a lot of the early germ theory days were focused on like matching a disease to a pathogen, like, oh, we found a bacterium, it has to cause a disease, what does it cause? So you know, based on that, when people were just like hunting microbes, it does make sense that people would have encountered some over and over again that were not associated with any inherent or any apparent disease. But I think they're also Around this time, there had been a growing recognition that not all bacteria were bad, and that some might be helpful or at the very least neutral, And basically that's what it seems like Hall and Otool had set out to do with this study, just like find out what was there, and especially the way that these microbe communities changed during the first ten days after birth. And in their screening they found several species of bacteria that had already been described, but they also found something new in several of the samples. Quote an actively motile, heavily bodied rod with elongate, subterminal or nearly terminal spores of about the same diameter of the rods. Ooh man, what riveting reading riveting is right? And they named this new species Bacillis dificillis because of how difficult it was to isolate and study under lab conditions. It's just like a finicky guy.
Speaker 4: Finicky. It's anaerobic, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, they're finicky. Then, to see if they could figure out more about the role of this bacterium, they infected rabbits and guinea pigs with it to see what would happen, and they were surprised to find that it seemed white pathogenic to them, or at least that the bacterium produced a toxin that could lead to death or severe disease in these lab animals, although the toxins wouldn't be described until nineteen seventy four, when Green at All isolated it from the stools of guinea pigs treated with penicillin, although even then it was thought to be a virus, and that connection to seed iff wouldn't be made until later. And that's all kind of like part of the theme of seediff. It's like flying by under the radar, not really acting suspicious or you know, earning any suspicion. That kind of makes up a lot of the history of seediff. And so this paper that I talked about, the Hollino tool paper where seediff was first described, that came out in nineteen thirty five, and between the years nineteen forty and nineteen sixty two, there were only two mentions of seadiff infections in humans in the medical literature, and in both of these studies, seedediff was not suspected to be pathogenic to humans, like, it wasn't written about as a potential pathogen, and Hallan O'Toole did, like based on their rabbit and giddapig studies, they did say, oh, maybe we want to keep an eye out for this in infants as a possibility of causing disease, but it didn't. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of follow up and there didn't really seem to need to be a whole lot of follow up because it doesn't seem as though, at least from what I can tell, that there was a silent epidemic of sea diff during that time. So like since Hallan o'tool described it to I don't know, the nineteen fifties or something, and if anything, you know, I think I'm all side with you in being surprised at how early sea diiff was described, like nineteen thirty five. At first, I was like, wow, that's so recent, and then I was like, wait a second, Yeah, based on biology, No, that's like very surprisingly early.
Speaker 2: Right, especially because it was yeah, not causing disease, mhmm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I definitely didn't find anything or read anything about historical infections of seediff or ancient writings describing the disease. I mean, you know, of course, there's plenty to choose from in terms of ancient writings of diarrhea. It's always been a part of human existence, and I'm sure that seadiff took on the role of pathogen occasionally in human history. And the first description we have of pseudomembranous colitis, for example, which is that horrible sounding condition caused by seediff is from eighteen ninety three, reported in a twenty two year old woman who had recently undergone surgery for a gastric tumor. She later developed severe diarrhea and died. And so maybe that was caused by sea diiff, but we have no way of knowing for sure. But beyond you know, cases like that, seedediff was probably just part of the background, like minding its own business, popping up here and there, and it likely would have stayed that way, just like a wallflower on your gut gut flower. But humans intervened, And of course I'm talking about the rise of antibiotics. So the widespread use of antibiotics began in the nineteen forties with penicillin, and it continued to grow and grow as more antibiotics, such as vankomycin were discovered and then administered. By the nineteen fifties, antibiotics were readily available everywhere and frequently prescribed, and the ones most commonly reached for were broad spectrum antibiotics, the ones that would wipe out not only whatever was making you sick, but a bunch of other species right along with it. Casualties of the War on Bacteria, and also like it's still reasonable to prescribe broad spectrum antibiotics, especially when you're someone sick and you don't know what it is and you need to try something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still very important that they exist. And I'm not I am so yeah, yeah, we are still pro antibiotic, right.
Speaker 3: This isn't like antibiotics are not the are not part of the villain. They're they're just yeah.
Speaker 4: They're just a supporting character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this is an inevitable consequence.
Speaker 2: We are pro good antibiotics stewardship, Aaron.
Speaker 3: That is what we are pro. That's a very very important caveat there. Yeah. Okay, So shortly after the rise of antibiotics in the nineteen fifties and nineteen sixties, doctors began to notice a rise in pseudo membranous colitis, and a rise that seemed to be tied to antibiotic use. Surgeons had observed rates as high as fourteen to twenty seven percent among people who had recently undergone surgery.
Speaker 4: Which is high, that's very high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And of course the prescription of antibiotics after surgery was and continues to be a very common practice and it's import and to prevent secondary infections. But even when people started to recognize the link between pseudomembranius colitis and antibiotics, ceedif wasn't really on the short or even long list of suspects. Most people actually thought that staph aureus was the likely culprit since it was often isolated from the patient's stool. And because of this, vancomycin, which was used to kill the staff, began to be given as the standard treatment for pseudomembranus colitis starting in the late nineteen fifties, but over the next couple of decades, staph orias seemed less and less likely to be the cause since it wasn't really reliably found in the stool of many people with pseudomembranus colitis, and the disease itself, like the rates of the disease didn't really seem to go down at all. A study in the nineteen seventies firmly displaced staph areas as the causative agent, and through suspicion on antibiotics themselves because they were like, well, if it's not staff, what the heck is it? And this study followed two hundred patients at a hospital who had been given clindamycin. Twenty one percent developed diarrhea and ten percent developed pseudomembranus colitis, but stool cultures were all negative for staphorus. And so it was this study and another study from New Zealand that linked diarrhea and colitis with antibiotics that kind of caught the wider attention of the medical community, including a doctor John G. Bartlett, who was then at Tufts University. So he had begun investigating antibiotic induced diarrhea and pseudomembranus colitis in the mid nineteen seventies, and in nineteen seventy eight he and his team published a series of papers in which they finally revealed the link between a toxin producing class stridium and pseudomembranus colitis. And then he followed up this research by showing that he had found seediff in the stool samples of several of the individuals in that first study of two hundred patients that they could find no staff, they were like, well, we don't know what it is. And so he actually got some of those samples and was like, seadiffs here as well, so that kind of was just like boom. This clearly made the link, and he went on to uncover a great deal more about seediff, which also hugely opened up the field for other researchers to characterize its toxins, to examine strain diversity, and to understand transmission dynamics. Like from the late nineteen seventies to now, we know an incredible amount about this bacterium. It's pretty amazing, I mean, and that also speaks to the huge public health impact that it has. With these late nineteen seventies studies from Bartlett and his group, the field of sea diiff was blown wide open. It seemed that once researchers started looking for the pathogen, they found it everywhere, and in increasingly high numbers. The continued use of antibiotics, especially cephalosporins, which seadiff is intrinsically resistant to, during the nineteen eighties and nineteen nineties it led to a huge rise in seaediff overall, which of course led to a huge increase in the diversity of strains, including the emergence of highly virulent strains, and over time, the characterization of seediff as a hospital acquired pathogen and one that you have nothing to worry about if you aren't in a hospital, or if you don't work in a hospital setting, or if you aren't taking antibiotics, like you said, Aaron, that's become increasingly less accurate. Community acquired infections have become more common, as I read have animal associated infections, either through direct contact as well as potentially food borne, which has led to many people calling for a one health approach for this pathogen. Oh, I know, one health always well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this, like the numbers that I saw on like ground meats being contaminated, was terrifying.
Speaker 3: Are you going to share them?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I didn't write them down, but I should pull them back up because it is awful.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Because also the other thing, and we touched on this in I think our antibiotics episode, we had to have maybe the second one. The overuse of antibiotics in both livestock and like other animals has led to increasingly resistant and difficult to treat strains of sea diff Sea diiff is now like quite expectedly an enormous global problem, which I know you'll get into more later.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It had this dramatic rise from zero to villain that was made possible only buy antibiotics. So maybe it's time we looked for and out of the box solution or out of the bowl solution.
Speaker 2: I don't know, no, no, okay, Oh goodness.
Speaker 3: So you know the saying like fight fire with fire?
Speaker 4: Oh sure, what about.
Speaker 3: Fighting poop with poop?
Speaker 4: Oh? Aaron?
Speaker 3: You know I can't resist to come on, I love it. I do introducing fecal microbiota transplants. So at the end of this episode you'll get to hear a whole lot more about the how and the why of fecal microbiotic transplants, and I can't wait to get into it, but I wanted to first provide a bit of context, a bit of the where did this come from? And how did we get to where we are today type of thing. Essentially, like you said, Aaron, the idea behind fecal microbiota transplants is that you take the fecal material from a healthy donor and put it in the intestinal tract of someone who has some sort of GI disorder, often because their microbiota is disrupted, and you do this in order to change the gut microbiota, the composition of the microbes in the gut with the hope that this infusion acts like a hard reset and can take out the disease, kind of get things.
Speaker 2: Back to normal, like unplug it and pluck it back in again.
Speaker 3: Exactly, And it works in many cases, like remarkably. Well, it's beautiful, Like it's a beautiful thing. I love it. I get chills when I think about FMT's They're just so satisfyingly wonderful.
Speaker 4: It's so elegant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: It's weird to say because it's poop, but it is.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's the simplicity of it and the logic of it is so of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So who first came up with this idea that healthy poop could cure someone's bad poop?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. Tell me.
Speaker 3: It actually goes way way back, all the way back to the fourth century in China.
Speaker 1: CE.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fourth century CE.
Speaker 2: I love that erin And it is somehow shocking and also not surprising at all if you've ever listened to this podcast, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like exactly, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it was described in the first Chinese Handbook of Emergency Medicine, and in this book it was recommended that if you had food poisoning or severe diarrhea. You should ingest fecal suspension by mouth. Wow mm hmmm. And it was described as not just being like somewhat successful, like oh, try this and it might work, but like miraculous bringing back patients from the brink of death. And this isn't the only reference to early fecal transplants either. In the traditional Chinese medicine book Compendium of Materia Medica, a series of prescriptions are described that are essentially various preparations of human fecal material. I've got your fermented fecal solution, fresh fecal suspension, dry feces, infant feces, take your pick all for the effective treatment of abdominal diseases with severe diarrhea, fever, pain, vomiting, and constipation, just various things. And so reading about this got me thinking about all of the times that we have laughed and laughed and laughed about ancient or medieval cures and how ridiculous they are.
Speaker 4: I know, I know.
Speaker 3: And it struck me that if we had done this podcast, this episode twenty or thirty years ago, we may have similarly laughed at yellow soup, at actually eating poop. But we're not laughing now, except that ourselves. Maybe that's Yeah, that's hard, Aaron, I know, and that's not to say, but I'm not saying that. Hey, maybe we should look into how effective saying my work be with you is for treating HPV or like mice tails for rabies or something. But it is a good reminder that every generation thinks of themselves as being so advanced and looks down on past generations with scorn like how on earth could they have believed something like that? And so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the ideas of the past. And this is I'm super guilty of this, of like, how look at these cures? These are ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I know we all need to be more open minded, don't we.
Speaker 4: We do? I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And even if they are clearly not based in any sort of medicine or like clearly they would not be effective, I think it also is still useful to at the very least try to understand the logic or reasoning behind them. Why mice tails ground with wine or pigeon heart and beer or something like that, Like, right, what about that? Because if there's one thing that's an absolute certainty it's that future generations will look back on us now in our medical practices or scientific knowledge that's widely accepted today, and they'll think, how on earth could they have thought that? Or oh, my god, did they not realize that they were only making things worse?
Speaker 2: I think that almost every day, Yarin Ah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And the examples of this, I think are endless, like our limited understanding of autoimmune disorders, or the mechanisms behind different mental health issues, or some of the ways that we treat cancer, or how we over use antibiotics. Like, there's a lot there that people will have. There's ample material for people to laugh at us in the future. But we think we know it all now.
Speaker 2: We're all just doing our best.
Speaker 3: We're all just doing our best. But my point is, I think that we can look back and see how far we've come with these things with our knowledge and technology, and maybe feel okay, laughing a bit about my warp be with you, just because it's such a great saying. But I think we also need to recognize that there is still so far to go, and that scientific or medical advancements are rarely, if ever, done in leaps and bounds, but rather the accumulation of years and years and centuries, sometimes of shared knowledge being built. All right, so soapbox moment. Beyond those early descriptions of yellow soup and poop as treatment from China, there are a couple of other examples of what is essentially fecal microbiota transplants from other parts of the world. In the seventeenth century, there was an Italian anatomist who wrote, quote, I have heard of animals which lose the capait to ruminate, which when one puts into their mouth a portion of the materials from the mouth of another ruminant which that animal has already chewed, they immediately start chewing and recover their former health. And he called that process transformation. And also, like, I just want to point out that many animals regularly consume feces for oh, probably a variety of reasons.
Speaker 4: My dog loves it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dogs love poop. And then later on in the seventeenth century, also a German physician recommended fecal transplant for humans in a book whose title translates to either healing mud pharmacy or salutary filth pharmacy, depending on the source. Like, I found it translated both ways, so I don't know. I also saw it mentioned that Bedouin groups historically consumed camel stools as treatment for bacterial dysentery, something that seems to have been picked up on during World War Two, when German soldiers were dying of dysentery in Africa, Nazi scientists observed that locals would consume fresh camel stools at the first sign of disease, and it seemed to prevent them from getting sick. And so the scientists cultured what they could find in the stools, and they isolated Bascilla subtilis, which they cultured and administered to decent success. Like it seemed to work to a certain extent, So that's kind of cool. It's like this all goes way back further than I thought. Yeah, But from then, as far as I can tell, the concept of fecal microbiota transplantation it really only remained mostly in practice or even in experimentation in veterinary medicine until nineteen fifty eight, when Iceman and colleagues successfully used fecal microbiota transplants to treat four people with pseudomembranous colitis with antibiotic use, this time fortunately using an enema rather than oral application.
Speaker 4: Nineteen fifty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wow, Yeah, And this kind of just goes like to further show that developments are not made in isolation, like a lot of there's a lot of background to things, because in this study he wrote that quote, most of the recently reported cases of pseudomembranous colitis have followed the use of oral broad spectrum antibiotics, suggesting that the intestinal flora was thus altered to permit the overgrowth of antibiotic resistant micrococcus pyogenies within the gut.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: And so, yeah, he didn't get the bacterial species right necessarily, but all you have to do is swap out micrococcus pyogenies for seed if And he's absolutely right in this mechanism of how broad spectrum antibiotics like perfectly set up the gut for something to take over. Yeah, but decades would pass before the idea of the fecal microbiotic transplant would gain any real traction in human medicine, especially as more antibiotic classes were discovered. Being like, oh, well we can fix that, Oh we can fix that this way.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It kind of reminds me a bit of like how phage therapy dropped out. Yes, yeah, and it was used again. Fecal microbida transplants were used again in nineteen eighty nine to treat someone with refractory alterative colitis, and it was remarkably successful with lasting recovery. But for the most part, reports of people successfully using fecal microbiotic transplants were kind of like one offs, like these, you know, case studies of people trying out fecal microbida transplants for a variety of infectious and non infectious conditions on one patient, on a handful of patients, but not like large scale. It wasn't until twenty thirteen that the first randomized clinical trial was conducted in the Netherlands to look at fecal microbiota transplant as a treatment for sea diiff infections. Here's where our two our villain and our hero meet took a while, but hey, and you'll see that it soon is resolved because in this study the participants all had recurren se diff and they were all randomly assigned to one of three groups, either receiving vancom iosin alone, vancom iasin with bowel levage, or bowl levage, and then fecal microbiota transplant as treatment. And although the study was initially supposed to include one hundred and twenty people with forty people in each group, it was stopped early with only forty three participants. Why was it stopped because it was so incredibly successful that it wasn't ethical to keep going with the other control groups when fecal microbiotic transplant showed such incredible cure rates.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So of the nineteen people in the fecal microbiota transplant group, ninety four percent were cured of sea diff infection. Wow, after a couple rounds of treatment of like eighty something were cured after one ninety four percent cured cured.
Speaker 2: And that means like no more recurrences.
Speaker 3: No more recurrences, compared to thirty one percent of those in vancomized and only groups and twenty three percent of those in the vancomizon plus bowel levage groups. So like, yeah, I mean leaps and bounds beyond Yeah, the ability of antibiotics. So that's I just I love that. What a clear indication of like, hey, there's real promise here. Yeah. And after the study was stopped, the people who we're in the vancomycin groups were treated with fecal transplants, and they also showed high rates of cure. But how exactly do they work? How do fecal microbiota transplants work, What diseases or conditions do they seem to be effective against? How does one become a stool donor what makes someone a good candidate for fecal microbida transplants? Are their long term consequences.
Speaker 4: We have so.
Speaker 3: Many questions about fecal microbiota transplantation, and thank goodness we have an actual expert to help us answer them. But before we get to that, I think that Aaron, I want you to tell me just how much the world needs creative solutions like fecal microbida transplants for this incredibly enormous global seediff problem.
Speaker 2: I would love to right after this break. So we're starting off this season two episodes in a row with not great numbers. When it comes to we should have thought this, we didn't know.
Speaker 3: Listen, of all of the diseases, I would have expected seedift to have good numbers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would have. Let me tell you what I've got.
Speaker 2: Estimates in the US and from what I can tell these numbers that get thrown around seem to be from like twenty eleven is where they're getting these estimates.
Speaker 3: That's a long time ago, like in ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but that's what we're working with here aarin. The US estimates about five hundred thousand, half a million cases a year and twenty nine thousand deaths due to see diff infection. Now, that number in the studies that I read was thought to be a huge underestimation, but that's still the number that the CDC sites on their website, for example today here in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, that sounds lower than I would have thought.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: The European Center for Disease Prevention and Control in the same year twenty eleven was estimating one hundred and twenty four thousand cases a year and didn't have a real estimate on deaths that I found, wait, all across Europe. That was Yeah, the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control. Now, I obviously wanted to get better numbers than that, so I was trying to find global estimates. I found a paper that was a meta analysis from a couple of years ago that looked at a whole bunch of different papers and calculated an average number of SEADIFF infections for every one thousand hospital admissions worldwide. And they calculated an average, a global average of two point two five cases of SEADIFF infection for every one thousand hospital admissions worldwide. And I was like, wait a second, that number doesn't make a lot of sense.
Speaker 4: And if you look in.
Speaker 2: That paper at the ranges with which they calculated this average, the ranges are bananas. They're from anywhere from one case per one thousand to thirty seven cases per one thousand hospital admissions, depending on which geographic region you look at. North America by far has the greatest number of cases reported compared to other places. And even though this study looked at forty one different countries, there was no data whatsoever from South America, or from Africa, or from a lot of countries in Asia.
Speaker 3: So still we don't have great numbers.
Speaker 2: We still don't have great numbers.
Speaker 3: Okay, but the twenty nine thousand deaths and half a million cases in the US in twenty eleven was an underestimation then and likely continues to be an underestimation.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did a little bit of aerin math.
Speaker 4: You know my trademark.
Speaker 3: I love aerin math.
Speaker 2: Me too, trademark airin math. Don't trust these numbers. So, according to the American Hospital Association, and that's just in the US, there are over thirty six million hospital admissions every year in the US alone. So if you look at those estimates of like maybe it's as low as two and a half, it isn't cases of seadiff per one thousand hospitalizations or as high as thirty seven per one thousand. That's anywhere from eighty thousand to over one point two million cases in US hospitals alone each year.
Speaker 3: It's quite arranged. Plus it's not just hospitals, Like what about long term care facilities?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Exactly that's the problem. And we just with a lack of surveillance in a lot of places, and sometimes even a lack of definitions on how are you testing or screening for seadiff infection versus colonization? How are you even defining a seadiff infection? It makes global estimates really really difficult.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we can come up with a qualitative metric based on the biology of the disease as well as our medical practices of you know, using a lot of antibiotics for a good reason, right, and that it's probably been only increasing since it was very first scene and I mean skyrocketed in terms of numbers, and now it's everywhere and it's a huge problem.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 2: So because of that, there are a lot of areas of research ongoing when it comes to SEEDFF. Even though it seems like future areas, a lot of this research is promising enough that there are things that are not future future directions of research there present. The very first thing is probiotics. Probiotics are an area of research that I think is really fascinating. It all goes back to the whole microbiome, which we don't know a lot about. But there was a Cochrane review from twenty seventeen that showed with moderate certainty evidence, which is like pretty good for a Cochrane review, that probiotics can reduce the risk of seediff infection by as much as sixty percent in people who are inpatient in the hospital on antibiotics. So giving probiotics concurrently with antibiotics might be significantly protective.
Speaker 3: This is like opening a huge can of worms, but like, yeah.
Speaker 2: I I know, and it was a part review.
Speaker 4: What does that mean exactly?
Speaker 2: I don't have data on like what that actually means in practice, because, yeah, probiotics, they're not exactly regulated. We don't know enough about the human microbiome to know what are these specific bacteria and which probiotics do you take? And how much money are you supposed to spend on these things.
Speaker 4: Et cetera.
Speaker 3: And things that are claiming to be probiotic, but like are.
Speaker 4: They actually probatic? Right, Like exactly what do.
Speaker 3: You need to do to have probatic on your label?
Speaker 4: That I don't have an answer too.
Speaker 3: But things to think about, things to think about.
Speaker 2: And they did mention yogurt specifically multiple times in this that makes sense, So I don't know.
Speaker 3: And I'm also I'm all for probiotics, but me too, like we got to ask questions.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so that's kind of a one thing now that seems to be really promising, and I don't think that it's really talked about enough. And it's likely because of all the problems that are inherent, like we already said with the idea of probiotics, that we just don't have good regulation on them. We don't know a lot about them. But that doesn't mean you can't find places that have live cultures of bacteria and help yourself. I don't know other things there are. Even though antibiotics are still used very commonly for treatment of seediff, we know that antibiotic resistance is a huge problem. There are a number of different monoclonal antibodies that have been shown to be beneficial for the treatment of especially recurrent seediff infection. That would be something that's only available, you know, in the case where you're already really, really sick. It's not necessarily preventing you. There are also a lot of different vaccine candidates that have been studied. Generally these are toxoid vaccines, so vaccines against just the toxins A and B to help prevent infection from seediff rather than just colonization. But yeah, there's a lot of promise both in terms of how we can potentially deal with especially severe seaediff infections today but going forward, how we might be able to prevent them even more down the line. But here on TPDKY, we all have our biases, and one of ours is how amazing fecal microbiotic transplantation is.
Speaker 3: Yeh, I don't think we've been in enthusiastic enough about it this episode.
Speaker 4: It is truly like the first time that.
Speaker 2: I heard about it, I was just so enthused, like I want to be a donor and or I want a transplant for just because I think it's amazing.
Speaker 3: I think it's it is like you said, it's just like you know, Chef's kiss. Yes, beautiful.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: So we were absolutely thrilled to speak with a true expert from Open Biome, which is a nonprofit organization that is all about expanding access safe access to fecal microbiota transplant and increasing research into.
Speaker 4: The human microbiome.
Speaker 2: We'll let them introduce themselves right now.
Speaker 6: I'm Majdi. I am the chief medical officer at open Biome, and I'm a physician trained in infectious diseases, as you could probably tell by the accent, trained in the UK, and my first encounter with FMT was about ten years ago now and a patient who an elderly woman who had seed of facial infection after a hip operation and we'd run out of options for her. The sort of next thing on the treatment ladder was surgery, which for a frail patient like this was going to come with a lot of risks, and so this was before stool banks. We had to do the FMT ourselves from a related donor of the patient, and you know, within three days the patient had fully recovered from their seed iff and was eating and ready to go home. So that was sort of my first encounter with this treatment. It wasn't until I came to the US that and met the team at Opened Biome just as things were getting started that I ended up embarking on this adventure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's amazing. So talking now about open Biome, can you tell us a about the project and sort of what a nonprofit stool bank is, you know, how did it get started and what are some of its missions?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, so open bind we're a nonprofit stool bank. As he said, you know, our first mission is to enable safe access to this treatment fecal microbarri to transplants or FMT, and the second half of our mission is to castalyize research in the human gut microbiome using FMT, but also other tools in our toolkit to support new ways of understanding and treating diseases, especially those in areas of unmet need. And we started really because of our executive director Carolyn. She had a relative that, you know, a young guy in his early twenties, just out of college, you know, had a gold badder infection, had surgery and then some antibiotics after that, and developed cedificile infection and eventually, you know, having found out that he would have had to wait several months for an FMT, he would have had to drive hours to one of hospitals in New York to get this treatment, decided to take matters into his own hands and ended up doing an FMT himself. And so, you know, that was sort of the motivating patient in a way for us to establish Open Biome really to make sure that patients who had seedificil infection, who had failed antibiotic therapy didn't have to go through that process again of having to source their own donor and getting their own treatment arranged, and to make this, as you know, as straightforward as getting a blood transfusion. And so you know, we set ourselves up really to serve that need. And yeah, we've grown to the point now where we work with over a thousand hospitals across the US and ninety nine percent of the US population is within a four hour drive of a hospital. Using open FMT.
Speaker 3: That is amazing. What an origin story. I can't believe that, but I mean it's clear that over the years the need for FMT's is more and more pressing. And so it's an incredible thing that you guys are doing. And So before we get further into the transplant aspect of this, I want to talk about donation, like what is a stool bank and also how does one become a donor? What are their criteria for acceptance? Like I have a lot of questions, but we'll start there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, think so the stool bank is a bit like a blood bank really, but for poop. So what we do is we screen our donors. We're based in Boston and so all of our donors come from around this area. A bit like with a blood transfusion, we would screen our donors to make sure that they aren't potentially passing on any risk of either infection to a recipient or potentially some of these other diseases that we seem to see in association with the gut microbiome. You know, these are things like asthma, diabetes, obesity, even mood disorders like depression or anxiety. And so you know, we put these donors through a pretty comprehensive screening process, which starts off initially with an online form that if anyone is interested in becoming a donor, they go to our website fill out a short form that excludes for the common reasons that folks are ineligible to become a donor. And so then if a prospective donor completes that form and it's all clear, then they would be invited for an in person clinical assessment led by one of our clinical team that includes a clinical assessment where they run through nearly two hundred questions related to their health, physical assessment, and then if they pass that, they go through a blood and a stall test, and yeah, it doesn't stop there though, you know. If a donor passes all of that, then they have an assessment each time they drop off a stall sample, and then every sixty days they undergo the same three step screen. So the clinical all the blood in the stool. The past rate for becoming a donor is less than three percent, and so we often say that it's harder to become a donor open biome than it is to say, get into MIT or HAVID because we are sort of screening these folks really rigorously.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is very interesting. What a thorough process. I mean, it completely makes sense. But so now I want to switch to transplants. What are FMT's fecal microbiotic transplants and how do they work? Could you walk us through like the entire process from the patient's perspective.
Speaker 6: Sure, So, a fecal microbiot to transplant or an FMT is a very simple treatment in a lot of ways. It's essentially taking stool from a healthy donor and transferring it to a patient who's got a disease, in this case ceoficile infection. And you know, when a donor who's been screened and gone through that very rigorous process provides a sample, that sample is inspected, tested, and then simply we add a saline glyceryl buffer so that it stays stable. Once it's frozen, we homogenize it or blend it and then filter it to remove any anything like food debris or other things that aren't relevant for the treatment. And so then that treatment gets frozen, either as a liquid preparation that is instilled via colonoscopy or via a par endoscopy or nasogastric tube, or alternatively we prepare it into capsules, and these capsules can be taken by the patient at their doctor's office, and the patients are observed for several hours afterwards, and then they can usually start eating four to six hours afterwards as well. And then in many cases, patients are discharged on the same day so they're able to go home. And you know, one thing we are really keen on emphasizing it open biome is prevention of cediff when patients go home, you know, making sure that their home is clean, making sure that high touch surfaces are cleaned so that they're not re exposing themselves to seediff, and you know where possible, avoiding antibiotics as well, or having a conversation with their physician that they've had an FMT might be at risk of sediff. So yeah, you know, the treatment itself is surprisingly straightforward in many ways, but I think the complexity is around the donus screening and making sure that the patient is appropriately selected for an FMT and that the risks and benefits are clearly communicated to them as well before performing the treatment.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, Yeah, that is fascinating. I love the idea of pills just like a little capsule of and here's a new microbiome for your gut. Like that's it just feels like the future. And so that actually your last comment there leads me to my next question, which is about eligibility. As you mentioned, unfortunately, not everyone who has a C. Deficile infection is eligible for an FMT, So I wanted to ask what are the criteria for eligibility and who decides it.
Speaker 6: So FMT is recommended for patients with C deficile that haven't responded to antibiotic therapy, and that's the only patient group that this treatment is recommended for at the moment. And so, you know, four hundred and sixty thousand Americans experience C deficile every year. Of those, about twenty to thirty five percent of film will experience a recurrence of that infection. And then potentially, you know, from that population, about forty to sixty percent will experience a second recurrence. And it's on that second recurrence of their C. Deficile infection that they are eligible for in FMT. The other consideration is, you know, FMT is still an investigational drug, and what that means is that it has not gone through the FDA approval process. And there remains some unknowns about the treatment itself, and so at this stage, in a relatively early time in the field, it's important to make sure that patients, especially those who are immunocompromised, for example, children or you know, those in pregnancy perhaps are carefully considered for FMT. And in some patients they may not be eligible because of perhaps one of those reasons that mean the risk benefit of that FMT treatment doesn't make sense in their case. So, you know, those are the main criteria really for an FMT, and I think over time we'll be refining those, hopefully both to enhance the safety of the treatment and also to improve the efficacy as well of each treatment that's administered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so you know, you mentioned that there are some risks associated with fmts, both short term and potentially long term. For instance, there's a lot that we still don't know about how our gut microbiota affect are risk of developing some chronic conditions, right like cancer, diabetes, heart disease. I mean, many studies have shown a link, but what that link actually means is that correlative, is it causative? It's unclear, And so could you walk us through some of the risks of FMT, both short and long term, or maybe what you see as the biggest gaps in knowledge regarding risk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, so, I think when it comes to risk of FFT, you know, it's always quite concept specific. You know, in the case of c dificile infection, especially severe disease, which carries a very high mortality rate, and where even surgery carries a significant rate of morbidity and poor outcomes following the surgery, that profile, the risk benefit profile in that patient may be very different to someone who is very early in their seedff and perhaps has more options left on the table, such as antibiotics or BES, tuximab or other interventions. So I think the first thing to emphasize is that it's very context specific and depends on the patient. But more generally speaking, this is a treatment that relies on instilling bacteria into a patient. And we do all we can, you know, just like a blood transfusion to screen out pathogens and bacteria viruses, but you know, there is always the potential risk that an infection might be transmitted, and you know, COVID has taught us that, if you know, we have to continuously be evolving our criteria for screening for infections to you assess for new infections that might be on the horizon, especially antibiotic resistant ones, and also, you know, continuously enhancing the tests that we use to screen out pathogens that might be potentially transmitted in stall. The second sort of category of risks i'd say, are as you said, the potential association with non inf anxious diseases. To date, we haven't seen any evidence to suggest that FMT transmits any of those conditions or increases the risk of those However, I think it's something that we have to be very mindful of that we don't have much evidence on the long term effects of FMT, and so it's really important you know, with the patient that the clinician is having a meaningful conversation around the risks and the unknowns of some of these long term consequences of FMT. But you know, for a patient who has run out of all of their treatment options and faces potentially resection of their bowel or long term antibiotics, or you know, even worse development of really severe disease, that sort of risk benefit needs to be taken into consideration. You know, there are sort of efforts being made to set up registries. So the American College of Gastroentrology has set up a patient registry to all the recipients of FMT to ten years. And I think that's going to be really helpful in understanding the risk profile of FMT and also the long term curates as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, And so you mentioned that this is still pretty new and those early studies. When I talk about the early studies of FMT, we're talking less than ten years ago, and you know, those did show incredible effectiveness in curing C. Difficile infection. Has that success been maintained since those early studies and as the number of fmts performed has increased.
Speaker 4: Over the years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's been the really interesting thing. So you know, at open Biome we follow the clinical outcomes of each patient that receives an FMT. A few years ago, we presented data on over two thousand patients who had received an open Biome treatment and observed a clinical curate of eighty two percent, which is pretty consistent with the findings in clinical trials. But also the American College of Gastoroentrology or ACG, have been running a patient registry as well that I mentioned, and they've to date followed up two hundred and fifty nine patients and observed clinical curates of ninety percent. And so, you know, we're seeing these findings from these randomized control trials being replicated in the real world setting, which is very reassuring for the treatment and its use in clinical practice. But I think what we are going to hopefully learn more about in the coming years is how to improve that efficacy, how to select patients so that we are using this in the right context and the patient's microbiome perhaps is suited to this treatment. I think also, you know, simple questions like dosing for example, could be potentially optimzed. And so we're still learning so much about you know, what it is that leads to a clinical cure, why is it that some patients don't respond? And you know, hopefully we're going to be gathering more data on you know, the real world evidence over time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's really interesting. Those are incredibly high cure rates. That's it's just an amazing it's just an amazing thing. And for this amazing, potentially amazing life saving treatment, there have got to be I assume some barriers in terms of cost or access. So what are some of those barriers?
Speaker 6: So, yeah, at open Biome, you know, our goal is to reduce the costs of treatment so that patients can access this at their nearest hospital. And so we've got over a thousand hospitals now that are able to provide open treatments. And the way that we've reduced the cost of treatment is by centralizing all of that. Don't is screening. You know, if only three percent of donors pass the clinical screening, you can imagine that a ninety seven percent of that for a clinician to be able to screen donors who may not be eligible is really extensive. And so you know if for a clinician to do this themselves can range from four thousand to up to twenty thousand dollars per single treatment in an open by and we charged just over two thousand dollars for our treatments, and so that hopefully makes the treatment itself more accessible. But FMT today is still an investigational drug, so it hasn't received an approval from the FDA. It's being provided to patients under a framework called enforcement discretion. What does that mean to this question? It means that the treatment itself at the moment isn't covered by insurance, and so patients are having to pay out of pocket for it or altensively. You know, the clinicians are having to eat up the cost themselves, and so that obviously creates a barrier to access as especially if we're thinking about coverage in some of the more rural areas or centers that might not be near a large gastrotrologists or infectious disease practice. But you know, I think an interesting other lens on this is that, given we are still quite early in the field, is there some justification for potentially building up centers of excellence that can provide this treatment At their centers do all of the really sort of rigorous screening and assessment of the patient and follow up and really you know, gathering the data to understand how effective this treatment is.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, So in this episode so far, we've largely been focusing on fmts in the context of clostridium deficile, but they have been found to be an effective treatment for a number of other conditions, or at least there's been early explorative research looking at fmts for other conditions. So can you take us through some of the research that open Biome is working on in terms of other applications of FMT beyond ce diff infections.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure thing. So I think one example that's really interesting and potentially points us to how the field might move in the future is a clinical trial that we did looking at fecal transplants in hepatica and caphilopathy. So, hepatica cathelopathy is a condition that is associated with late stage liver disease liver cirrhosis, and it is characterized by confusion and agitation, drowsiness, loss of consciousness, and can be you know, putting patients into the intensive care unit and is typically quite a challenging condition to treat, especially to maintain clinical cure. But it's caused by a build up of nitrogenous waste products that you know, accumulating the systemic circulation and part of the role of the gut bacterias to break down some of those waste products. And so, working with a colleague of others, doctor Chaz Bagage at University of Virginia, we conducted a randomized control trial that showed that FMT was able to effectively treat this Basically in this trial of about twenty vations so a small study, half of the patients in standard of care group were cured and all of the patients in the FMT arm had a clinical cure. And so that's just a really interesting sort of example of you know, we talk about the gut brain axis, and you know, this is sort of an early example of how potentially FMT and the gut microbiome may play a role in that. The other piece of the study that I think is really interesting is doctor Bajaj characterized the gut microbiomes of these patients before the study to see whether there were some common microbial signatures in the composition or function of the microbiomes and these patients. And you know, we observed that these patients were particularly depleted in bacteria that play a role in the production of short chain fatty acids. And so what we did was to go back to our donors and we characterized the microbians of our donors and selected a donor that had a particularly high abundance of these microbes that these patients were depleted in. And so, you know, that sort of rational donor selection or personalized medicine approach to this maybe something that we see more and more in the future. And you know with the sort of falling costs of genomics and the introduction of that into clinical practice, So I think that's a really interesting one. You know, the other diseases like inflammatory bowel disease, there've been a number of trials now that have shown promise in that, especially in alternative colitis, where you know, we're seeing in patients with this very difficult disease about thirty seven percent of patients are in clinical remission after a FMT, which compared to about eighteen to twenty percent for standard of care. Is really exciting. And then you know, as a nonprofit, we are also exploring the role of this in disease areas that are perhaps neglected by farmer companies in the US and Europe, to support clinical trials in lonand Lincoln Countries, and so we're actually working with the University of Kicktown at the moment looking at the role of fecal transplant in children with severe cute malnutrition who failed to respond to a nutritional therapy, which is surprisingly the case in about a third of kids with malnutrition. So yeah, really broad disease areas that we're working on.
Speaker 3: So that is so incredible though, that is I mean, yeah, like you said, very broad but promising, and it's just seems like such an incredible potential solution. So what do you see as the future of FMT. What hopes do you have for FMT in the future.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so, I think we are at such an early stage of our understanding of the microbiome and the potential and the way that we should be using FMT, And what I hope is a few things. I think firstly, that we've accumulated more and more data on patient outcomes in a more systematic way across the world for all patients that are receiving this treatment. I think the second pieces that aspect of personalization, and you know, can we do more to potentially increase the curates for patients who are receiving FMT for conditions like cediff And you know, perhaps in the future, you know, we're treating patients who have failed multiple rounds of antibiotics, But is there potentially more that we can do in prevention. Is there a world, you know, perhaps you know in a few years time where you bank your stool prior to receiving antibiotics and then you receive your own stool back to restore your gut microbiome after a course of antibiotics. This is already being explored in some patients, some patient populations who are receiving lots of antibiotics, like stem cell transplant patients. But we I think open Biome are really interested in a public health approach to FMT in the microbiome, and can we prevent diseases as much as treating them when patients are really sick? And you know, i'd say sort of. The last thing really is we started open Biome to enable access to this treatment for patients when they need it. We know that there's still much more to do for that in the US, but I think globally, SEEDIFF is likely to become more and more of a burden as we see wider antibiotic use and wider occurrence of risk factors they are associated with seed IFF, like inflammatory bowel disease, And so I think we're going to have to be really mindful of making sure that people who may not necessarily have access to the same health systems as we do in the US can still access this treatment when they need it. I think COVID has highlighted more than ever the importance of sort of health equity and technologies and access to them as quickly as possible, and so I think, yeah, hopefully that's the other piece that gets resolved and we're all working towards over time.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, doctor Osmond. That was just so enlightening and I think I somehow I didn't know it was possible love fecal microbida transplants that much.
Speaker 2: More, even more, even more, Oh, Aeron, what a fun episode this was.
Speaker 3: This was very interesting. I mean it did have its frustrating moments. Yeah, like I.
Speaker 2: Really wish that we had better numbers, and yeah, there's a lot of frustrations.
Speaker 3: But this was I mean, I think sea diiff is a very remarkable pathogen, and that it's not necessarily a pathogen, and its recent emergence and how much our existing medical structures kind of facilitate the growth of this bacterium and the spread of it is terrifying.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, okay, should we do sources? Yeah, let's okay. So I'm just going to shout out a few. I have a bunch of papers, but a couple that were key for the history and genomic aspects of sea diff. One is by Bartlett from two thousand and eight. And the other is the one that I already mentioned by night at All from twenty fifteen. And then in terms of the fecal microbide of transplant stuff, I contain multitudos by Edyong, a very fun book about the human microbiome. Check it out, and by de Groot at All from twenty seventeen. And I have to shout this out also because it doesn't just have great information, but it also contains and amazing figure. One of my favorite that I've seen of the most important developments in the timeline of fecal microbida transplants, but it's marked along intestines. It's starting in one part of the intestine going together. It's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Oh that's so cool.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite papers that I read was actually it was by crowboch at All twenty eighteen called Understanding Clusterdium difficile Colonization. I found that one just really really interesting. But there was a number of other review papers on sort of seediff infection and a couple at least including the Global Burden of Clusterdium difficile Infections, A system review and meta analysis that we're trying to get at the global distribution. Yeah, so we'll post a list of all of those sources on our website, This podcast will Kill You dot Com under the episodes tab.
Speaker 3: Thanks again, Lany so much for providing the first hand account. We really appreciate you taking the time to chat with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you also to Bloodmobile, who provides the music for this episode and all of our episodes.
Speaker 3: And thank you to exactly Right, of whom we are a very proud part.
Speaker 4: And thank you to you listeners.
Speaker 2: You make this podcast possible and we love you for it, we really do.
Speaker 3: Especially thanks also to our patrons. You guys are absolutely amazing. We love you, we appreciate you. It's just incredible, a joy it is. Okay, well, this feels quite relevant, but does until next time, wash your hands.
Speaker 2: You filthy animals, with soap and water and not just an alcohol based hand sanitizer.
Speaker 4: I like that.