Speaker 1: Some of the content of Patriots This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Barth Blazar and Lazarre. Hello, everybody nailed it. He joined us. Always buy an our bar cap match. Here is Evan Lazar and Alex Barr. Would you have the five positions?
Speaker 2: Here we go in pior, defensive.
Speaker 1: Line, ABS, linebackers, cornerback and safety. No, we know, yes, yes we do. They're gonna take a kicker, so let's hold us. Last week they didn't take an hour and a half to get through all the different positions.
Speaker 3: I don't carry's they were doing kickers.
Speaker 1: Can you feel the excitement? Thirty six hours to go? Are you pumped up? Alex Barth? Are you ready for the NFL Draft? Oh yeah, he's ready.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's the.
Speaker 1: Most excitement I can muster. That was pretty goot set up. We're back to like, we're back.
Speaker 4: To we're series.
Speaker 1: We mean business today it is a thirty six ish called thirty eight hours out from the NFL Draft, the beginning of the first round of the NFL Draft, and uh, this is uh, this is exciting that hey is in the barn for the most part, I always like, there's always like two or three guys at the very end that I just feel like I gotta I get an itch and I'm like, I gotta do these guys something. My gut is telling me that they might take one of these guys. But in general, we're getting closer to the NFL Draft finally, thankfully, how we can start with stop with all the pre draft nonsense and actually get into the players that they actually pick. The Patriots actually pick, I should say, so that is really exciting. But before we find out who they are actually going to pick, over the next three days, we have to do one more draft preview shows. So we didn't do enough draft preview shows over the last four months, so we have to do a whole nother one for the next two hours. So we'll get into some of the news that's come out, and I will say it's a now pretty well known line by Bill Belichick in his media year that these twenty four to forty eight hours are when some of the real information about the draft starts to come out. You know, we hear a lot of smoking mirrors for months in the lead up to the draft, but now that the teams have set the board and they kind of know what their expectations are. Heading in we start to hear some real information. We also start to hear a lot more about potential trades at this point. This is when again the board is set, the trades start to come in, they start to field calls. So we'll get to all of that good stuff as well, but before we really get rolling here, support the home team. Join New England's events staff here at Jillette Stadium. Seasonal Positional is available in food and beverage, parking and security. Visit www dot thecraft group dot com careers and apply today. I used to be a frequent visitor to the craft group dot com slash careers and that's actually how I found this job. Like I wasn't like I got any intel whatsoever from Mike d so you know you could have. I actually found this job right on the craft careers website, so make sure to check that out first.
Speaker 5: All this business, it's just about a lot of its just being in the right place at the right time.
Speaker 1: It's exactly what it was. So I want to get into some of the news. I also want to you know, get into some of the Patriots specific news, but also some of just the general first round NFL news here that's starting to trickle out as well, And we also are going to share my first time I have not put a top ten mock draft out, so this will be my first top ten mock draft, so I also want to put that out here today as well. And Alex, I know you've done a couple, but this will be your your final top ten mock draft. Now you're going to share here on the show today, So that's the agenda of course, all your calls and Emil as well. But I want to start off the top with just sort of the feeling right now around the Patriots. I think the overwhelming favorite is Will Campbell with the fourth overall pick. It almost feels like it's Campbell or the field at this point. If you're a person that wants to place a friendly wager on what the Patriots are going to do tomorrow night, those are seem to be your two options. I would say that the dark horses remains Jalen Walker. I think he's probably the biggest dark horse candidate, and then the sneaky super dark horse candidate is Ash and Genty. Right, those three guys, I feel like are really what we're talking about here, But at this hour, Diana Russini, just about an hour ago, she is, you know, publishing reports about all of the different teams in the top ten. It seems like she has the Patriots taking calls for the fourth overall pick. Now, there's a big difference between taking calls and actually having real conversations about the pick.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I go back to last year Hard Knocks. We saw Elliott Wolf and Joe Shane of the New York Giants interacting on the phone about the third overall pick last year, and it was, yeah, like, unless you're gonna give us something absolutely crazy for the pick, we we're gonna stick and pick Drake May and we feel good about taking the quarterback. So sometimes those calls are short lived. But I still ultimately come back to the best case scenario for the Patriots is obviously the trade down and still get their guy, right. I don't know if that's realistic in multiple fronts. I don't know if Will Campbell will still be there. I don't know if the trade down will materialize, But if they could trade down within the top ten and still draft either Will Campbell or Armand Membu or even Kelvin Banks. I feel like that's a pretty good way to go about this right now, at this hour. How do you feel about where the Patriots are at?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, a trade down would be great. I've said this, although the one thing I don't want to see them do. And there was a report I think it was Jordan Schultz this morning. I'll see if I can find it that was basically like the teams taking calls on the picks at the top of the draft, and this was even about the Browns and Giants, who are obviously in a pretty good position with the two blue chip players there.
Speaker 3: He had said that those calls were I thought it was Schultz. I guess not.
Speaker 5: We're coming in for I think the verbigs was seventy cents on the dollar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what I don't want.
Speaker 5: To see the Patriots? Do you hear it is Jordan Schultz? Several teams picking in the top ten are opening trading down. The challenge has been finding teams willing to move up. Per sources. From what I'm hearing, there isn't a strong push to trade up this year at the top, especially if it means giving up significant value that aligns with traditional charts. As one source put it, quote, the current offers are seventy cents on the dollar. A trade down would be great, especially I think Instill Go one of those tackles.
Speaker 3: Trade down be great.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying I don't want it, but what I don't want is for them to give the pickaway.
Speaker 1: Sure, I don't.
Speaker 5: I think there are some people who would be more comfortable with the trade back because they're nervous about this class overall. Understandable, it's not a great class. They're nervous about this class overall, and they'd rather miss at nine or ten than miss at four, because then at least you can tell you yourself you've got something else back.
Speaker 1: Okay, if all.
Speaker 5: You got back is a third round pick one, you're still getting a lesser player.
Speaker 1: If you move back.
Speaker 5: I don't think Campbell's getting to ten. And if he does, what does that say about kind of how he's viewed by the league. So you're still getting a lesser player. Does a third round pick make that much of a difference at the end of the day. And I know Elliot Wolf is here, but for all intents and purposes, it's a new regime. The first selection of the new regime and you're gonna bargain sell it. That's a tough president to set because now you're the organization that gives away draft picks like Halloween candy. So, like, I don't want to see if they get a good trade, I.
Speaker 1: Want them to take it.
Speaker 5: And that's ultimately what would be the best case scenario is if they get a good trade. What I don't want is them to sell the pick, just to sell the pick and take a lesser player because they felt like they had a trade down because they just weren't comfortable at four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with everything that you just said in terms of the value of a trade down. We've both agreed. And I know that some people are gonna say, oh, you were a Campbell guy the whole time, you didn't want to trade down. No, we've both agreed that, yeah, a trade down is the best case scenario for it.
Speaker 5: I just don't think it's going to be there their best their best case scenario. And I almost put this in my maw draft on Sunday, and you and some other people talk me out of it, said it was two unrealistic, And now it's all the rave the most like because so I put together my last NFL mock and it I usually as you do, usually do too, Like I usually do a trade down mock or trade up or trade down. Yeah, the last few years has been trade down. I just do a trade down mock every year just to kind of be like, hey, this is what that scenario might look like. There really wasn't a trade until we got this reporting on Monday after it was published that felt realistic. But the two I was working on were the Panther is coming up from eight to get ted McMillan, and the Bears coming up from ten to get genty. If they make a deal, I think it's the Bear coming up from ten because the Bears are in this unique position where they have thirty nine and forty one. I believe it's the last pick to relay from that Bryce Young trade a couple years ago.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they have another, but this has to be towards the end of that.
Speaker 5: But they have an ext They have the Panthers first round pick or second round pick, so they would maybe be a little more willing to part with that. The deal I had was the Bears go ten the second of those two seconds, which is forty one and then a future second and the idea behind it basically being and I'll ask I'll pose this to you as a question. Heaven, we talked about the quarterback tax all the time. When teams are trading up, you got to pay more than the pick is worth because it's quarterbacks that valuable.
Speaker 1: Of a position.
Speaker 5: In this draft where there really aren't any quarterbacks and there's just such a lack of blue chip talent ash and Genty albeit the fact he's a running back. Is there going to be a blue chip talent, blue chip tax, Yeah.
Speaker 1: In this draft.
Speaker 5: And maybe it's not as much as the quarterback tax, but is the way the Patriots maximize ash values gent in the draft, not by taking him, but by using him as bait to flip a trade.
Speaker 1: So it's exactly where I wanted to go next. So he read my mind. Yeah, it sounds to me like there's enough of a market for Ashton Genty that to your exact point, they could orchestrate a trade with basically trading Genty. Right, You're gonna trade Genty to the Chicago Bears, potentially to the Las Vegas Raiders. Maybe they want to jump Jacksonville because they think Jacksonville is gonna take Genty at five, so they come in and they jump Jacksonville. I think that that's really now if you are hoping for the trade down, if you're a Patriots fan, what you're hoping for is that some team is so in love with Ashton Genty that they were going to make that trade happen and they're going to move up to four to come and get him. We had a lot of conversations about doing this exact thing for Travis Hunter or Abdul Carter or whatever the case may be. Well, Peter Schrager was kind of the first one on this that said that teams have three guys in mind that they could potentially trade up for adding Ashton Genty to that of those other two in terms of the trio. If the Patriots can get out of four because Ashon Genty is such a draw to trade into four, then that's good news for the Patriots. But the question that I would ask is do the teams really feel like they need to go all the way up to four to get Genty? Could you go out to five to Jacksonville and still get Genty? Because everybody in the league, and I'm not saying that this information is one hundred percent accurate. I think it was also Schrager who said, you know, he tried to poke around New England and he couldn't get anybody to talk in Foxborough about what they're gonna do at four overall, but if we just believe all the tea leaves, and I think it was Jeremy Fowler who said that the Patriots might have an infatuation with Will Campbell, So maybe the league knows that this draft is going can Ward, Travis Hunter, Abdull Carter, Will Campbell, and the Patriots are kind of locked into Will Campbell at four, so there would be no reason to go all the way up to four for Genteel, Right, that's the devil's advocage, especially.
Speaker 5: When you have your nerd guy at five with the Jags and he doesn't care what players on the board. If you can show him on the chart that the picks you're giving him are worth warning picks he's giving up, he's gonna do the trade.
Speaker 1: Regardless of what he wants to take.
Speaker 3: Well, that's an easier deal to mate.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought that up, because that's the other thing that I can't. And I've been texting you about this off the air. I can't get over this feeling of you're telling me that probably one of you know, really an analytics guru, is running the Jacksonville Jaguars. Like it's the same as all of the nerds in baseball that get crapped on by people like you and people like Matt McCarthy and the rest of your brethren, people who actually enjoy watching sports. Yeah, all you got, And I say that with love all of you guys, you know, come at the nerds and baseball. Gladstone's basically that, but in football of course, right, that's what he is. Yeah, And so you're telling me, in his very first draft as a general manager in the NFL for the Jacksonville Jaguars, his very first draft, he is going to buck the one analytical trend that every single nerd is dead set on, which is that running backs don't matter. And he's going to take a running back at five overall. And that's right now. That is the consensus pick for the Jaguars is action Mason Graham. For a while, I feel like it's it's the last you know, this week, the mocks that have been posted by the people that are in the know. You know, the the Schrager Mack. I think he had Genty there at five.
Speaker 3: Ye, the Schrager Mak's usually pretty good.
Speaker 1: Those people are saying it's Genty. And the other team that has reportedly infatuated with ash and Gent is the same team who's head coach was at the league meetings in a month ago talking about pass epa being the most important stat in football. And now you're telling me that the Chicago Bears and Ben Johnson are going to trade up for Ashton Gent. So when the Chicago Bears have DeAndre Swift under content, oh, and I can actually justify because the Lions thing, because the Lions can't you nerd if you're going to take Ashton Genty in trade up picks to take Ashton Gent.
Speaker 5: The Lions did it because they had success in doing it.
Speaker 1: Swift is on a one year deal, but yeah, a twenty year deal.
Speaker 5: He's sorry, he's on a two year deal, but it's there's an out after this year, So Swift's gone after this year. And because they have the offensive line to justify it.
Speaker 1: I think some of the.
Speaker 5: Moves they've made this offseason, I think they're as close as anybody up there.
Speaker 3: That is the offensive line to justify it.
Speaker 5: The Bears, I think you can make an argument for I know Ben Jonson's a nerd, and they don't like running guys the way they operated in Detroit. I think he may be one of these nerds that is a little softer on the running back thing than everybody else. The Bears would not surprise me. The Jacks are the reasons you're saying would surprise me. But you will disown that guy so fast from the nerd community.
Speaker 1: If they take him. If you take a running this is what you you you if yours until they do dumb nerd stuff and then you just own them and you say because not like but that's what they all do. But this isn't that's not nerd them. You you you went against everything that we believe in.
Speaker 5: What if the math is telling him to take Chencey. I can't imagine the math math has just created to proven argument. It's like how everybody, universally turnovers were bad until a couple of years ago. People wanted to explain away Josh Allen's they created some math that said turnovers aren't actually that bad.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I'm gonna leave that.
Speaker 5: Maybe he's just maybe he created a new formula that tells him to say, you.
Speaker 1: Look at running backs, and that the the entire discourse around then then running backs with the analytics people. A lot of the reason why analytics people are anti running back is because they're interchanged. Right, Statistically, there's only a handful of guys that truly make a difference. Sakuon Barkley, Healthy, Christian McCaffrey, Derrick Henry. Like we're talking about three to five guys I would say in the league that truly make a difference.
Speaker 5: Well, I think if you're taking ash and Genty that high, you believe he's one of those.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it's not just that, right, that's the main reason I would say that's like seventy five percent, sixty to seventy five percent. The other reasons are career longevity in prime shelf life, and Derrick Henry has bucked this trend. He's going on ten years. But Derek Henry's a tank. Derrick Henry is huge. Yeah, Derek Henry's an alien. I don't think that Ashon Denty at five eight, two hundred and eleven pounds is the same thing as saying that Derreck Henry, who's built like a defensive end playing running back, is going to have the same career longevity in terms of his prime And the last thing is obviously contract value and the fact that if you draft Genty at five overall, you are going to be paying him like a top five running back in the league immediately based off the market. So is it the most valuable pick that you could make? And if he decides to go against all of that years of research and data that all of his fellow nerds have put together and takes Genty, then he is not a true nerd. You're not doing it. You're not doing it right. That's not it. And then I would say the same thing.
Speaker 5: For him, create a new data, because that's what these guys do. They create data to back up what they want.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, But for the Patriots, as it pertains to the Patriots with the fourth overall pick, the hope is is that some team is so in love with Ash and Denty that they can trade out of the fourth overall pick, get picks back, and then maybe still pick their guy Will Campbell as it sounds now my question to you, And then we'll move off this. Does will Campbell make it to eight to ten? You know, let's say they trade out with Chicago and they go from four to ten. Is he going to be there at ten? And if he isn't, you know, what is your cluster? Like, what's your stack? Because you have to have multiple options there at ten. I don't I actually think that there are options. I don't really hate, but I'm just interested to hear, like, who are like the three or four guys that you would be comfortable with at ten?
Speaker 3: So with Campbell, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's a case to be made that the Jags could take him if they're worried about what's gonna happen with Qul.
Speaker 3: Not the Jags, this case to be made.
Speaker 5: The Lions could wow, oh my god, the Bears, No, the Raiders, the Raiders, this case made. The Raiders could take him if they're not comfortable with Colton Miller. The Bears certainly, well, if they're trading up in the scenari, they're trading up for Gente Center, gonna take them.
Speaker 1: I think the Jets.
Speaker 5: We're all assuming the Jets are going to take arm on Membu because they clearly need a right tackle and he's a right tackle. Are we giving the Jets too much credit for making the obvious pick? You know, we've spent so much time on worrying about Membo going from right to left. It would be so Jets to need a right tackle and then take Campbell and try to move them from left to right, which would make no sense.
Speaker 3: But again it's New York Jets.
Speaker 1: Well, Joe All just did it, so yeah, but there's a right tackle right there, I know, but it you know, and it makes sense when the Chargers did it either that Joe All is going to make teams think it's possible, I guess, Butrarn Membing is right there.
Speaker 5: And then I also look at the Niners at eleven and the Dolphins at thirteen. Now, the Dolphins will probably just draft whoever ran the fastest forty because that's what they do. But like if they were smart, the Dolphins desperately need offensive line help. The Niners could use a tackle Trent Williams as year to year. So you know, if you trade down to ten, those teams are at eleven and thirteen, do they jump you and move up to nine with the Saints or eight with Carolina I was talking to Philip Perry yesterday. You could make a case, and I don't know it's the most likely thing, but it's a realistic scenario that Campbell, Membou and Banks all go before ten if you trade back, yeah, and it would probably take another trade up to get there, but you run that risk. So what would the stack be for me if Campbell go, You could sell me on Membo or Banks. They're one A, one B. You're taking risks with both of them. It's just kind of again like we talked about campbellin Membo, it's just a matter of what questions they want to deal with more. I think Jalen Walkers could still be at play Down at ten and at that point, you know, do you bring Ted McMillan back in the conversation.
Speaker 1: That's who I was going to bring up as the last guy, right. I feel like it's the tackles that whoever in the tackle group falls. Whether it's probably more likely Membo or Banks, but Campbell, Membo, Banks, I think you have to put Jalen Walker in that conversation, especially with all the buzz that has connected him to the Patriots. Although I kind of feel like Jalen Walker's floor might be Carolina at eight. There's a lot of very.
Speaker 5: Much a panther, But as he pointed out to me, like that could also be a spot for Ted or Matthew Golden Town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and uh, and then I think Ted McMillan is the other guy. Yeah. And I feel like as we've come full circle here, Banks and mcmill and are starting to some of the talk about them really falling in this draft is starting to subside, and people are putting them more in the categories that they were back in January when this all began, which I think is probably where the most accurate, Like they're probably in the ten to fifteen range of this class. And because one's the number one wide receiver taking Travis Hunter out of this right, and the other is a premium position player at left tackle, you know you could talk yourself into either one of those guys at the back end of the top ten.
Speaker 5: You just worry like if those if all three of the tackles go, do you trade down again targeting Simmons or Connolly. Now you forced into a trade up, and you're in a bad situation where teams know how desperate you are, because like you might, especially if all three of those guys going top ten. Arianta Ersery's not making it thirty eight, and if Josh Simmons makes it thirty eight, it meets his knees made of paper mache.
Speaker 1: At this point, you can't take them. Yeah, so you're really playing.
Speaker 5: With fire at that point. The ultimate big picture. I can't hammer this enough. By I will give them the flexibility that maybe Ursery falls to thirty eight, maybe or falls today two when they trade up a little bit, right, what time do they start on Friday night?
Speaker 3: Seven o'clock?
Speaker 5: Yeah, if we don't know by eight thirty on Friday, let's call it. If we don't know by eight thirty on Friday, who the Patriots starting left tackle is, that is a major, major, major problem. That is the one thing that cannot happen. Trade up, trade down. Whatever, you're gonna take a tackle at four, you're gonna move up and take one. However you're gonna do it when the top forty picks wrap up. You're not getting a starting tackle after that, You're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's hold on on that because I did want to bring that up because I that was some the more other reporting that's also coming out. I want to talk trades, really, you know, one more trade scenario and then I want to talk about that and kind of segue into that. So the other piece of information this is from Adam Schefter, was a lifted list of teams that would be willing to trade down from their current pick in the first round. Now, there are a couple of teams in the top ten that Eas said would be willing to trade down, you know, Carolina, Jacksonville, teams like that. But I'm ruling those teams out for what I want to bring up here. The teams that want to trade down that are a little bit further down in the first round that I find interesting from a Patriots perspective. Seattle at eighteen, it is probably a little high. Tampa Bay at nineteen and it's a little high. Pittsburgh at twenty one. They're not trading down or taking a quarterback. And Minnesota at twenty four that's the one. So if you're looking to trade back into the first round from thirty eight, and it kind of couples with your tackle yeh spiel just now, it does feel like Minnesota at twenty four is the sweet spot they have?
Speaker 3: Is it four or five picks.
Speaker 1: I think it's five Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they have.
Speaker 1: Five picks and they have a lot of older players. They have a lot of players on expensive contracts and have a good team. Quarterback isn't one and they're trying to well but there they have a good team.
Speaker 5: But like they need to strengen out their russ. They have four picks. They have twenty four, ninety seven, one thirty nine and one eighty seven.
Speaker 1: That's it. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: So you're you might be able to get some value there.
Speaker 5: Maybe you can get away like the trade I look at you're going up to twenty four. Rewind to twenty twenty. It was twenty three for seventy one and or twenty three, sorry for thirty seven and seventy one. That was the Kyle Duggart trade back for the Patriots, So that was twenty three. Vikings have twenty four, thirty seven and seventy one. You have thirty eight and sixty nine. Can you swing that into thirty eight one oh six because the Vikings are just so desperate to add draft picks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe, I don't know, maybe seventy seven. I don't I think you're gonna have to give up a top one.
Speaker 3: You probably are.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe there's a way to do a pick swap or something in there, but like, that's the sweet spot to me, and I think you'll probably be able to get.
Speaker 1: A tackle at that point.
Speaker 5: You might not get to choose, but you should be able to get a tackle. That that's the sweet spot to trade up. And then the other one for me is if they're not feeling as aggressive, those teams late in the first are always looking to trade back. So this is like twenty seven, twenty eight, twenty nine to thirty Ravens, Lions, Commanders Bills. Right, there's a trade a couple of years ago between the Jaguars and the uh Bucks that was twenty seven for thirty three, one oh eight and one eighty. So it's a little different because you have thirty eight not thirty three, but maybe one eighty becomes like one forty four, and now you don't have to give up any top one hundred picks to move back into the first round. You can't do that for twenty four. You're gonna have to do that for a later pick, and hope one of those teams that was in conference championship games will to move out the highest you can maybe do that as the Rams of twenty six. But if you want to tackle, the other thing to consider, the Texans are probably a tackle team of twenty five. They could be their an offensive line team for sure. This could also be that thing where if you took a ten and then you want to grab a guard, the Texans are an offensive line team. The Rams might be an offensive line team at twenty six, and then you might get Obviously, the Chiefs of thirty one are a tackle team, so there are some teams in there you may need to jump if you want to get a certain guy.
Speaker 1: So I feel like this is this is coupled with a lot of the other reporting that kind of makes this point even more important from a Patriots perspective, which is the drop off that tackle. Yeah, and this is something we've been talking about. It's reflected in all of our you know, pre draft coverage of this of this draft and of this class. There's really let's call it six, but it's really five.
Speaker 3: Is five in a pretty expensive lottery ticket?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Josh Simmons, Yeah, right, So we're talking Campbell, Membu Banks, Connerly, Ursery, Simmons, right in some sort of order, put them in whatever order you want it in terms of talent, but those six tackles are really the only starting caliber left tackles in this draft. And if you miss out on one of those six guys, you are not getting a rookie starter.
Speaker 5: You are getting somebody who at best is competing with Viderian.
Speaker 1: Low and is in a developmental phase of his career. You're getting a Anthony Belton, a Charles Grant. You are trying to take Ozzie Trapilo and seeing if he can play on the left.
Speaker 3: Side like you were John Rivers, Jan Travis.
Speaker 1: Right, you're talking about taking guys that are projects. For the most part, Tapillo is better than a project. But he's a right tackle. Right.
Speaker 5: It's not just we will break it down. We'll talk about day one starters and year one starters. Day one guy comes in right away, starts year one is you know, maybe he's not gonna start week one of his rookie year, but you can start eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't think there's any year one starters after ur Sery. You're talking about guys that are long term, multi year projects.
Speaker 1: So if the Patriots, if you're of the thought and full disclosure, I think Will Campbell is the best player on the board at four, and I think you should just take Will Campbell. So I'm right there with Will Campbell. But I hear it a lot. And if you're the thought that he's not quote unquote the best player available, and you're more or less reaching on a position of need by taking Campbell. If you prefer you know, Genty, I prefer Genty, but he's a running back, right, but to him inside, you know Jalen Walker, Mason Graham, you know, Tyler Warren, whoever, if you prefer somebody else at that spot. The only way that you can realistically come out of this and at least have our approval. I think I don't have to talk for you or speak for you, but based off what you've said to have our approval of this draft is if you trade back into the first round to get the tackle. You cannot come away from this draft without an answer at left tackle.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not gonna fault them if they get the guy at thirty eight, but you have to get that.
Speaker 1: Yes, if they come out.
Speaker 3: Of this draft out a left tackle, it's bad draft, right, So.
Speaker 1: They need somebody out of that group of six and I we both kind of feel like it should be the group of five without Simmons.
Speaker 5: I like, And let me clear about this, I like Simmons. I know I probably came off as somebody who didn't like him as a player earlier, and I apologize for that. Yeah, I like him as a player. And I know that the reporting out there right now is like he's healing well. It's always the next time you hear pre draft that a players not doing well injury wise will be the first time, right, But I I the Malcolm Mitchell komp is there for a reason. Maybe I should use Malcolm Mitchell instead of DOMINICQ Keasley. Yeah, because I think he's a good player. But like if you get eight to ten really good games out of him, but then he's hurt and he just never really becomes a regular NFL player, That's what I worry about, And that would be a bad pick. That would be a worse pick than taking a guy who moves inside of guard because at least that guy's playing, which I don't think is gonna happen with Campbell by the way, to be clear, but like I yeah, you said it very well. You can't miss and to people say, well, you know, Arianta Air series projected at thirty eight. You don't need to worry about it too much. And I don't think Connolly is going to go in the first round. Go back to last year. Here is a good tackle class with a ton of depth, and we were sitting here saying, this is great. They can get Drake May, they may even be able to get a receiver, and still with their third pick, get a starting tackle.
Speaker 1: And what happened.
Speaker 5: These guys all went around around plus earlier than we thought they would. Because there's there are less than thirty two human beings on the planet. They can play left tackle at a starting caliber level in the NFL less than thirty two human beings on the planet. If you have a chance to get one consensus boards, be damned, you're gonna take them if you need them.
Speaker 1: So URSE three might be projected a forty eight. Right now.
Speaker 5: If these guys start to go right, let's say you trade back. Campbell goes I could even see him going to the Jaguars, right, Campbell goes five, Member goes seven to the Jets, Calvin Banks goes in the top twelve, right, or maybe fourteen. You have the Niners at eleven. They need to tackle now they're flying. You think the chief Connory goes to the Texans. You think the Chiefs are gonna sit down thirty one and say, man with Patrick Mahomes blind side's a mess. But Ariana, hey he's you know, he's a projected second round pick.
Speaker 1: We should probably take somebody else. No, they're gonna take Ursery. Yeah, they're gonna.
Speaker 5: Take them because you're not getting a guy if not. So this could actually be an interesting exercise.
Speaker 1: We we you just saw this last year, like right, the tackle run happened last year. You know, Tyler, can.
Speaker 5: You pull up I just want to try something for an experiment. Can you pull up like the list of tackles that were taken last year? Yeah, we just need or pull or pull up the mock draft database, pull up last year's tackle list. I'll pull up the tackles from last year. I just want to see something I've been meaning to do.
Speaker 6: This.
Speaker 1: We'll do it live on the air. We're doing this live on the Yeah, you see, you see what I'm going for. We're getting the sausage made here. Yes, so I can't type on this smaller keyboard though, So this this could be a problem.
Speaker 5: Okay, fine, I'll just do it all right. So Joel last year was seven on the consensus board.
Speaker 1: Let me do it on my phone.
Speaker 5: On your phone, okay, Census, you have the consensus board from last year.
Speaker 3: I just just just and again. We're doing this live.
Speaker 5: So maybe this won't work out for me, but I think this is going to prove my point if I remember correctly. So Joe All went fifth last year. Where was he on the consensus board last year?
Speaker 1: Seven? Seven? Okay, so he went high and expected JC Latham he was twelve on the consensus board. He went seventh.
Speaker 5: Ol Lufashanham eleventh and he went all right, that's a draw. Fuanga thirteenth, he went fourteenth, Right there. Marius Mims twenty first, went eighteenth.
Speaker 1: Here we go. Jordan Morgan thirty fifth, went twenty fifth. Tyler Geyton twenty nine.
Speaker 3: That's a draw.
Speaker 1: Patrick Paul forty four, All right.
Speaker 5: He went fifty five. He went a little lower, but people were low on Patrick Paul, Blake Fisher seventy eight, fifty nine. Roger Rosengarten sixty four, sixty two, okay, that's close. Kingsley thirty seven. He later was ranked yeah, he went later. Caiten Wallace, we know when he went sixty eight a metagi I think was outside of the top one hundred.
Speaker 3: He went seventy five.
Speaker 5: Del Mar Glaze, if I remember correctly, was somewhere in the one fifties. He went seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then uh, you know, depending on where he plays. But Troy Fottenu from Washington when he was eighteen on the consensus board, I mean some people see him as a guard.
Speaker 5: Oh he's probably not. I have the the just the list of tackles up. He must be included.
Speaker 1: But the point being, like the top tackles, it's the day two stuff might be to get a little bit wonky, but you know, really the guys that they were hoping were We're going to fall to them, were you know the guitans, you know, Jordan Morgan potentially like it was. And there was that run. Yeah, and there was that run. So I s isn't even shallower tackle.
Speaker 5: Right, There's no reason to think that won't happen again. If anything, I think the signs point to the run being more aggressive.
Speaker 1: I did. This is my biggest fear about this draft because I hear people that say they should take the best player available at four and then aggressive and try to get back into the first round to get the tackle, so that you address the needs in the right order, right in where the value is on the board. And I understand that that's a great in theory. It's great when we're all on the PFF mock draft simulator and forcing trades right like, it's a great concept, But actually going out and executing the concept they found out last year was a lot harder than you want it to be. And I've said this multiple times, but there's varying reporting on whether it was for a receiver or it was for a tackle, But there is reporting from multiple outlets at this point that they tried to make this trade last year. They tried to trade back into the first round last year. I think it for a tackle and receiver. They tried a few times, and they got rebuffed. They got turned down on the trade. So if you get through this draft, and let's just say for argument's sake, that they take Jalen Walker at four overall because they feel like Jalen Walker is the best overall player on their board over Will Campbell, and they get to the bottom half of the first round, and they called Minnesota, and Minnesota doesn't want their deal, and they call, you know, Buffalo, who's not gonna trade with them when they wouldn't trade with them last year.
Speaker 5: But they roll out because the Bills made a very stupid trade with the Billings.
Speaker 1: They made the stupid trade with the Chiefs because they trade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's a good point, yes, fair.
Speaker 1: Kansas City says, well, why would we trade you the tackle when we need the tackle. We're just gonna take the tackle right again. They try to go all up and down. Philadelphia says, nope, we we have a guy where Philadelphia, we know how to scout better than anybody else. We have a guy we love here. We're taking him right. You go all through all this whole scenario, and then all of a sudden you are left again in a position where you don't have a tackle to take at your thirty eighth overall pick, and then you're in the third round again looking around.
Speaker 5: For tackles, and Drake May is getting clocked from the blind side time and time again for another five months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that that's all the arguments.
Speaker 5: Can I just can I just say that, like, because I think this has gotten lost as we've gotten into the weeds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is all. It all goes back to Drake May.
Speaker 5: For the people that think we just like love Will Campbell, we think he's his generational prospect, that's not necessarily the case. It's about how do you invest in your best asset? How do you as the Patriots? And that's what makes him or whoever the top tackle.
Speaker 1: On your board is.
Speaker 5: Honestly, if you want to tell me it's armand Membu, this take still applies to you. Just replace Campbell with Membo. If you think it's Banks, you can do the same thing. Hell if you think it's Josh Simmons. Again, I'm worried about the injury, but fine, I'll have the conversation. It's all about how do you invest in your best asset. Some people might tell you that doing that is wide receiver, but one the wide receivers at the top this draft or worse than the tackles. And it's that you know the meme that you love that you definitely originally created and didn't steal from somebody, the.
Speaker 1: Old Joe Burrow Chase. I created this version myself, but it was I will admit that it was stolen from the Jamar Chase Penny Sewell discourse. But the tech McMillan, Will Campbell meme yeah is copywritten to me. There you go.
Speaker 5: So but the point being like, that's what this all comes back and I feel like.
Speaker 3: We've lost sight of that. Yeah, but that's what this all comes back to.
Speaker 5: How do you what makes him the best pick is it's what's best for Drake May. And what's best for Drake May is what's best for the football team. If there was like an apex receiver in this draft, right, if Luther Burden had.
Speaker 3: The jump that we thought he was gonna have from twenty.
Speaker 5: Twenty three to Marvin Harrison Junior was in this right, we might be having a different conversation even though tackle is a more valuable position, if that guy was like that much better. Right, But the way this board looks, getting a left tackle is the best possible thing you can do for Drake May at this point. That is how you invest in your best asset, and that that's ultimately what this all comes back to. I'm just not taking a pick that helps Drake May the most.
Speaker 1: I think it's extremely risky and right, it's a big chance to say we're just gonna trade.
Speaker 5: Back exactly, so that that's the point, like you miss on tackle, not only did you not help Drake May as much as you can, and you might not help him.
Speaker 1: At all in a way where you really need to help him out. So last bit of news here, and then I want to do our top ten box and then we're going to open the show up to the calls in the emails. I promise there's a lot of reporting now from multiple sources. Adams are not my sources, like multiple reports. Adam Schefter had it, Breer had it, I think Jordan Schultz had it that Kaishan Boody could be available via trade. Now, there's a couple of different I guess avenues to look at this. The one that I keep coming back to is that if they're going to trade one of these younger receivers that they currently have on the roster, and let's assume they don't want to trade Pop Douglas because he's probably the best of the group and they don't want to trade him. Between Booty, Polk and Baker, there's no doubt that Booty has the most value in a trade right. He has proven NFL production last year almost six hundred receiving yards. He has actual NFL resume as of last year. You're not getting anything for Polkan Baker at this point. They they you're those are players that you're gonna get a conditional seventh round pick because you were gonna cut him anyways like that. That that's the type of thing going at There might be a little bit of you know, is Kaishan Boody of Rabel program guy. You know, I think that that's potentially an issue here as well. But when you look at it to me, and we've talked a little bit about this in the past in terms of the sacrificial X receiver in Josh McDaniel's offense, basically just the guy that's clearing out coverage on the outside. He's gonna run a bunch of nine routes. He's gonna try to get behind the defense. If he does, every once in a while he might get targeted. But just like Kaysehan Boody last year, you're not talking about a high volume of targets. You're you're really running the offense through the z, the slot, the tight ends, the running backs like that. That's where the offense is going to live in the middle of the field, and that's exactly I think what Josh mcdaniels's offense has been notoriously, I do think that it's a good fit with Drake may and the way he can throw the ball through the middle of the field with zip and with accuracy and anticipation. So you look at the way they want to build the offense. To me, Kai Shan Body is a perfectly fine sacrificial X receiver. Like if he's the guy that's just gonna run nine routes and he's every once in a while he's gonna sneak behind Derek Stingley for a forty five yard touchdown at the end of the half, Like, that's what that role is for. That role is not for putting a star receiver in that role that is going to emerge into a high volume player. It could be you could pivot, but if they want to build the offense the way that they have in the past, that is the role. So I am a little bit surprised that they don't see a fit in that particular role for Kaishan Boody. And I would just say, if you're gonna trade Kishan Boody and then you're just gonna use a not you know, a top fifty pick, let's call it a top seventy five pick on an ex receiver. The most likely scenario is that you're just going to replace Kaishan Boody with a draft pick. Like, maybe you go in it into it and you think that there's a little bit more ceiling to the player that you're going to draft in that role at seventy seven or one oh six or whatever the case. Horton, Right, you know, maybe you feel like there's a little bit more ceiling, or maybe you feel like the guy is a better guy. Right, He's just a better football character, dude. But in general, like I feel like you're just throwing another dart at it being Kaishan Boudi or Jayvon Baker emerging or whatever. I would at that point just hold on to Kishan Booty into camp and see what he looks like in his third training camp now with the Patriots. So I'm a little bit surprised that they are so ready potentially to move on from Kishan Boody. But I do understand that he probably presents the most trade value out of anybody in that group. So maybe that's all it is. Maybe it's just simply we can't get anything for these other guys, but we might actually be able to get a return for Keisha on Boody.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I think they trade anybody if they you know, if they got the right offer, I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I don't think that move's coming.
Speaker 5: Like before the draft though, that's I bring him in a camp, bring everybody in a camp and see what's going on. You still have that extra roster spot of Stefan Diggs opens on pup so look, could I.
Speaker 3: See him getting traded.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd like them to at least bring him in a camp, especially if they get a guy like one oh four. Right, Yeah, that's an open competition between that guy and Booty. To me, that guy's not a lock for anything, so I understand seeing what he's worth.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's a guy.
Speaker 1: Like you have to keep.
Speaker 5: He's not untouchable. No, but I don't think they need to be in a rush to trade him either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a nice role for him. And I look at this group of X receivers in the draft, I don't I'm not crazy about any of them, Like I don't love I tried all offseason, all draft season to find an X to fall in love with, to be like, this guy is gonna be my guy in the prototype that they need, you know, somebody with some size and some speed on the outside. I think Trey Harris probably came the closest to being that guy, but he doesn't quite have the top end speed that I would really like. But I could see him being this type of player and being successful there. Jayden Higgins, I just don't think he plays to the athleticism that he tested at at the Combine. I don't think he plays to a sub four five forty type of guy. I think he's more of a mid four to fives guy on tape. I don't think he really runs by people very much on the outside. That doesn't mean he's going to be a bad player. I just don't love him. I don't love him, especially at thirty eight, so I had a tough time with that. I've kind of come around to cash on Booty competing for that X receiver spot under the assumption that it's going to be a low volume role, like under the assumption that they're really not going to feature that spot in the Josh McDaniels offense. All Right, so that's where the news stands right now. A lot of trade rumors, rumblings things like that about draft picks moving, a lot of ash and gent rumblings, and that booty trade also coming up in multiple spots. Let's do our top ten mocked and now we can go pretty quickly through some of these because they're kind of mine at least at the top, are pretty chalk. I don't know about you, but I feel would I do the one I publish or should I just like do this live on the air. Whatever you want to do, it's your mocker. I don't do the updates we've gotten since. Okay, So I'm just gonna start. Yeah, I'm gonna go cam Ward at one, yep, Travis Hunter at two, Abdul Carter at three.
Speaker 3: I am going to agree with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't see that changing. I think that that's been locked in. I think we're gonna find out, like we always do, after the draft, that dad has been locked in for like six months.
Speaker 3: Can I give you a tape? Can I give you a take?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So both those teams obviously will need quarterbacks now, right, the Browns and the Giants. I think we're both candidates to trade up. The Browns are the more interesting one to me because there's two scenarios that are fascinating.
Speaker 1: One they trade up. I think Jalen Milroe has a good shot to be a first round pick. Yep.
Speaker 5: And Tommy Reeves, who's the ocat in Cleveland, was the oc at Alabama twenty twenty three when Miller had a breakout year.
Speaker 1: I could seem like him.
Speaker 3: That's one scenario. You want something that's so Browns it hurts.
Speaker 5: So gm Andrew Berry had set after the Colorado Pro Day watching Travis Hunter Shudur Sanders, man, I wish I could have them both to the Browns jump the Steelers at twenty one, take care, take Hunter two drump jump the Steelers at twenty one.
Speaker 1: And take Shudur Sanders at like eighteen or nineth The Browns. Yeah, the Browns. That makes the most sense for them. That would be now.
Speaker 5: So brown And this is not me saying it would work, but it would be so brown.
Speaker 1: That that I feel like And it kind of goes back to what we were talking about with the Patriots potentially targeting a different player than coming up for the tackle. In this from the second round, it's it's trying to have your cake and eat it too, it really is. It's like, Okay, well, we know Travis Hunter is a much better player, you know, grades out as a much better player than Shador Sanders, but we're desperate for the quarterback. So what we're gonna do is we're gonna take Travis Hunter at two, then we're gonna trade out to twenty, and we're gonna draft sha Door Sanders, and then we're gonna come out of this draft with Travis Hunter and Shador Sanders. On the surface, that sounds like an awesome plan. Like everybody in Cleveland would sign up for that plan right now. If I told you with one hundred percent guarantee that they were gonna be able to pull that off, I would just have a ton of reservations, more even more so than I do with the Patriots as a Browns fan that's been scarred for years and years of them screwing up drafts. But they would actually be able to pull something like that, doing.
Speaker 5: Something gimmicky like that. Doesn't that feel like and I think, better quarterback? But doesn't that feel like Man's ellish?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean it feels it feels like but it also feels so Cleveland. Brown's like Butcher and not be able to do it and not be able to pull it off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: So well, if if the league is as low on Shoudar as some reports suggest, some of it is bad, then and then the Browns are just trying to fly up for him, that would be pretty Browns too.
Speaker 1: If Shador slides, and I don't want to spend too much time on Shador, but if Shador slides, let's say he slides out of the first round. Yeah. The number one reason I feel like that Shador will slide out of the first round is because of how he handled the process, not because of the film. I think he's a late first round quarterback on film, but he treated himself like he was a top five pick. He didn't throw at the combine. He had a showcase pro day where he threw just like Jay you know, Jenden Daniels, Drake Man, Caleb Williams did last year. He didn't work out, didn't test, he didn't interview particularly well. If you read around about some of the reports about his interviews, and a little bit of a sense of entitlement, and you know, just a little bit more entitlement is the best way to put it. He treated himself like he was Caleb Williams and was going to be the number one overall pick. If he had went into the process with some you know, self awareness of what he really was worth in the draft, then I think he would have been a much higher draft pick. But he just hasn't handled the process great. From what everybody is saying, you know, we'll see. Maybe that is the Pittsburgh Steelers trying to put out, you know, all this information as smoke screen to get him to fall down the boord to them at twenty one. So Cam wored Travis Hunter, Abdul Carter. Number four overall, the New England Patriots I have selecting Will Campbell. I think that's just yeah, it's Will Campbell versus the field at this point. Number five the Jacksonville Jaguars. This is where it gets really interesting with the Jaguars. Ideally, and I went back and forth with this, I believe ideally the Jaguars would trade out of this pick, yep, just like the Patriots would probably ideality at four, I think they would try to trade out. Maybe it's with the Chicago Bears. Maybe those two swap because I think they want different players and they want them to go in the right range of the draft. Right, So the Jacksonville Jaguars, in my mind want Ted McMillan. They're a tech McMillan team. They want Tech McMillan. I think from two angles. One you pair him with Brian Thomas Junior. That's a great one too, tandem for Liam Cohne to work with. The reporting out of Jacksonville is that they want they're targeting touchdowns in this draft, right, They're talking offensive skill play is big. They have the nerd. I don't think the NERD's taking a running back. I'm just gonna stick to that. I'm going to stick to that premise. I don't think he's taking a running back. So if you add that all up, Teed McMillan he could profile for Gladstone very similarly to Puka Nikua right where he's not a forty time tester, but he's fast in game. He's fast with the ball in his hands. He's got great body control, he's got great ball skills, Like there's a lot of Pukah to his game. Yeah, So Jacksonville had five overall unable to make a trade down. Here, I have them taking Teed McMillan.
Speaker 5: So I'll get a little creative here. I have them trading back as well, all of them trading back. I think that they put, you know, on the chart, on the trade chart, the math tells the nerd to make the trade. The Bears move up and get ash and Genty.
Speaker 1: It's fair. I had that. I went back and forth with that. I think that's the most the sense you know that this trade is coming. I feel like it is out there that there's this big trade coming that a lot of people have been teasing. And it sounds a lot like that. It could be the two of them swapping there. So right now we have cam Ward, Travis, Hunter, Abdua, Carter Will Campbell as the top four. I have Tech McMillan five to the Jaguars. You have Ashon denty five to the Bears in a trade down with Jacksonville or trade up with Jacksonville. Six. Overall, this one's a wildcard to me a little bit too, especially if Genty goes at five. I think it's between armand Membu and Mason Graham. I think both those guys have been linked to Vegas enough. I went with armand Membu here. I just feel like they are going to want to build in the trenches. You get Colton Miller. I think they'll satisfy Colton Miller. They'll figure it out with him. Armond Membu's your right tackle, Colton Miller's your left tackle. Get back to Pete Carroll, ground and pound offense with a good offensive line. Armond Membu six overall to the Raiders can have some fun with this one. Now.
Speaker 5: I don't necessarily think this is what's gonna happen. I'm just throw a snary out for you. Tom Brady's in charge. He saw for years and years and years what not investing in the wide receiver position does to a quarterback. Yep, right, Pete Carroll's in charge. He wants to throw the ball around the yard. And Gino Smith, who's got a good deep ball. I'm not talking about Tet McMillan.
Speaker 1: Evan, Matthew Golden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he stole my thunder.
Speaker 1: Is that what you're talking about? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sixteen years ago, Michael Crabtree was the consensus top receiver in the draft. Everybody thought he was going high, he was gonna be a top five pick. He was far and away the number one player on the board at that position. The Raiders were the first team to take a wide receiver. Did they take Michael Crabtree. No, they took who Evan Darius Hayward Bay because he was faster from the grave. From the grave. Now, look, I don't think Teed McMillan is Michael Crabtree, but it's Crabtree and every that was a shocking pick at the time. It's Crabtree Hayward Bay two two point zero. The Raiders make Matthew Golden wide receiver one at pick six.
Speaker 1: Okay, so because he is fast, so I get Matthew. I have Matthew Golden take here in a second. Okay, But so we're Ward Hunter, Carter Campbell, Genty Golden for you. I'm McMillan, Membo Becle. I'm shounding fun with this. I know this is but I'm serious.
Speaker 3: Mine serious because I haven't published why I published three.
Speaker 1: So you can check those out. Number seven to the New York Jets. So you're the New York Jets, and I love this for the Jets as a Patriots guy. You're the New York Jets. The two top tackles are gone you're you're perfectly fit. Right tackle is gone right because he just got taken by the Las Vegas Raiders at six. Overall with Membo, there's also a lot of scuttle boat with the Jets and Tyler Warren. And the Jets have Garrett Wilson, they have Breise Hall, but they don't really have a second fiddle to Garrett Wilson in the passing game. Tyler Warren makes sense. It helps both of their other offensive assets. He's a great blocker and he's a great pass catcher. He's a clean prospect for a newer regime to take. Aaron Glenn's like one of those coaches that you know, he's kind of like Dan Campbell. He wants to be tough and physical and you know, build a bully of a football team. They can't get Membo. I have the Jets taking Tyler Warren at seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I still have Membo on the board. He's the obvious pick, he's the clear pick.
Speaker 1: It's the Jets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not going to do that.
Speaker 5: So I'm kind of attempted to go Mason Grahame here. The Jets don't need him at all. But Aaron Glenn's gonna want a defensive player. He's the best defensive player on the board. But I'll have them going Tyler Warren as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tyler Warren makes a lot of sense for them, which I if you're a Patriots fan, I think that you're fine with them getting Tyler Warren number eight as the Carolina Panthers. This to me, I think is one of the bigger surprise picks I have in my top ten. When I look at the Carolina Panthers and I texted you the screenshot of their wide receiver depth chart right now, it's not good that the worst wide receiver room in the NFL. Now that the Patriots have added Stefon Diggs, I can safely say that is the worst wide receiver room in the NFL. It's Xavier Lagett, a thirty something year old Adam Feelin is in there right like. It is not good. And beyond that, I just can't see Carolina going into next season with that being their wide receiver depth chart. It's just not good enough on any level. So with the eighth overall picked, the Carolina, Carolina Panthers select Matthew Golden from Texas, I just think that it makes a lot of sense for them to add another offensive playmaker. They need to add receivers. Tech McMillan's already off the board in my mock, so they can't take Tech McMillan. When a guy runs the sub four three forty, even if he doesn't play to the sub four three forty on tape, teams just fall over themselves for those types of players. There's a lot of smoke here for Jalen Walker being a Carolina Panther. Maybe that's the other pick here, but I'm going Matthew Golden because I look at that Carolina offense and I say, this is not good. This is not NFL caliber, Like you have to add something to this group.
Speaker 5: I'll go Teed McMillan say everything you just said, them needing a receiver.
Speaker 1: But I SI love McMillan on the board. Yep, all right. Number nine the New Orleans Saints. This one was a little bit tricky to me as well, because I so see Mikel Williams as a New Orleans Saint fitt. They love their ed rushers in New Orleans. They especially love their toolsy ed rushers in New Orleans. They've made some mistakes in the draft, in New Orleans targeting edge rushers, so it could be mikel Williams. But I'm going to take the other Georgia edge rusher, Jalen Walker in this spot. He's still on my board right now to New Orleans. So the Saints ad Jalen Walker. I think they would be a Tyler Warren team if Tyler Warren fell to them at nine, but he got scooped up by the Jets at seven. Did you know the Saints starting tight end right now is Foster Moreau. He is there starting tight end. There's teams with the worst tight end rooms, honestly, so they were They are definitely a Tyler Warren team. I don't know if they'll take the risk on Colston Lovelin on the injury risk. So I'm gonna go Jayalen Walker here at nine to the Saints.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have them trading down again. This is two trades in the top ten, which might be unlikely. But I think that the Miami Dolphins look even Mike McDaniel should be able to see how bad that line is. You have a quarterback that has a history of injuries, you have to be able to address it. I have armand Membu falling here. Even if he doesn't. Maybe it's a trade up for Calvin Banks for Josh Simmons. They need offensive line help. Armond Membu to the Dolphins at nine. With the Saints moving back and the Saints by a bunch of needs, they're just perpetually in cap hell at this point, they still are.
Speaker 1: They could use more picks thanks to the makes a lot of sense. Yeah, so they get him at thirteen here, So who you actually taking a night Membu to the Dolphins? Membu? Do the Dolphins that time? Okay? Last pick number ten the Chicago Bears. See where this is going the Bears. Everyone is telling you that the Bears are ashon gent crazy right now in this mock, I had Ashton Genty falling to them right in their laps for Ben Johnson. Don't even need to trade up for him. So the Bears taking at ten ash and Genty they get their guy without a trade up, which probably isn't gonna happen. They're probably gonna end up swapping with Jacksonville and taking him at five, and Jacksonville will get their guy Ted McMillan at ten. But I think those are two teams are taking McMillan and Genty in some order like however, they figure it out. They figure it out. But I just had them. Everybody's sticking in picking here Ashton Genty at ten, So cam Ward to the Titans, Travis Hunter to the Browns, Abdul Carter to the Giants, Will Campbell to the Pats, Teed McMillan to the Jaguars, Membu to the Raiders, Warren to the Jets, Matthew Golden is surprise top ten pick to the Carolina Panthers, Jalen Walker to the New Orleans Saints, and Ashton Genty to the Chicago Bears. That's the official. There you go. Evan is our top ten.
Speaker 3: I guess I got a wrap mine up.
Speaker 5: I'll take Mason Graham to the Jacks because it'll bug you that the NERD's taking a defensive tackle.
Speaker 1: So the only player in the top ten that I felt wrong about keeping out was Mason. I've seen him out of some people's top tens. This isn't completely out of left field. He is another one of those guys that has been hiding in the pre draft process. Did no testing, nothing at his pro day, nothing at the combine, he's a great football player. He wins with technique, he wins with leverage, he wins with hustle, he wins with effort and finish all those types of things. But he's not an athlete. And he's clearly not an athlete because he refuses to work out, so he's hiding the fact that he's not an athlete. For the most part, I think if you're picking in the top ten, you want to be picking athletic specimens in the top ten. You don't want to be picking guys that are are Oh well, this guy's savvy and he's sound, and he's smart, and he's you know, hustles and all that like that's usually not top ten worthy. So I see Mason Graham being the odd man out falling out of the top ten. Yeah, all right, So there you go. That's the official mock draft, my one and only top ten mock draft. I think it's going to be right, probably not, probably gonna be very wrong. We'll see. But let's get into your part of the show. Now. We're gonna get into the phones and we're gonna get into the emails. But before we do, uh, spring has sprung, So why not spruce up your space with Bob's Discount Furniture. Embrace the new Embrace the new season by shopping fresh furniture furniture fines from Bob's trendy, top rated and affordable collection of bedroom sets, high quality dying styles and feature packed sofas, plus tons of accent to core and outdoor must haves. So get a spring on the season's latest style while saving big only at Bob's Discount Furniture, the official furniture store of the New England Patriots. All right, I want to get to the phone calls. We'll get to the emails. We got a lot of people holding here. Patty is in Aguan. What's up Patty?
Speaker 8: Good afternoon, Jens.
Speaker 1: How are you hey?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 8: Evan, And I hope you give me a little bit of a vine because I got some you know, I got a lot of draft things I need to get off my chest. First thing I wanted to see yesterday, I'm to you, is I wanted to get your guys feeling on draft fatigue. I know that's kind of a big buzzword or buzz buzz word's going on right now, and I think a lot of us in this area have it. And the reason why we have it is because the last two seasons twenty three and twenty four. I don't know about you, I don't know about any of the other fans, but I started looking at the top prospects coming out in November because that's how crappy this team has been. So we're not you know, we're not looking from January the end of January and to April. I'm looking from the middle of November into Abril. So I've got a good idea on who's out there, what they're good at, what they're not good at. I don't break down the film like you, Evan. I'm not as even though I'm older than you guys, more experienced, I'm not as smart as you guys, because you know that's your full time job. So I wanted to get your thoughts on that. My second thing I wanted to talk about is you guys were bringing it up twenty four that's going to be a hotspot to trade up. Now, what if four tackles are off the board in the top fifteen, right, and then what teams like Kansas City and Houston jump Minnesota and then you know all these people that are clamoring to take somebody else beside the left tackle at the number four spot. You're done, You're cooked. You're not getting a left tackle this year. No, but that's a variable I've not heard anybody bring up yet. And the last thing I want to end it with, Alex. I know this is probably gonna be kind of boring for you because I saw on TV last night you did the you did a bunch of mock drafts. But this was my predictive list. First pick Campbell, Second pick Jalen Noel. One thing that doesn't get talked about with Noel is he was a team captain, so he's a high character guy. Number three Jack Sawyer, And this is sticking and picking. I think Sawyer is going to fall. Jack Sawyer number three. I think they're going to get a tight end. I think the best one in round three that's going to be available to them is going to be Terrence Ferguson. Fifth pick, Jacob Parrish. Fifth pick for Shard Smith got asked, m you and I rounded out with Drew Kendall, Cayleb Rodgers, who's a versatile he could inside and he can play tackle. Highly penalized guy, but I mean he's he wouldn't be a bad guy to be sort of that firstatle lignement that you could mix and match at any position. If somebody goes down and Ryan Fitzgerald the round it off, that's all I got. Let's go, baby, let's go.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the call, Patty Good mock, good mock. I will say Drew Kendall, I think is gonna go a lot higher than people think. I Drew Kendall's like like a fourth or fifth round pick. But I like the mock. I like all the players that he picked there. I think they're guys that we've discussed and we've talked about a lot. I do I find the the Jalen Knowle thing interesting. It's on the one hand that they could look at it and we could look at it as kind of like a redo on Lad McConkie, right, Like it's kind of a similar type of player, and you might feel like, all right, well, they have kind of enough of that kind of player, they have enough slots, they have enough inside guys. But he's probably the best receiver that you could take there.
Speaker 5: I also don't think they like people who have said the slot position is filled, I disagree with that. I think they have options, but we've talked about this. Pop Douglas I think absolutely has a role here. Yeah, he's a good player, He's not that one hundred and twenty target year guy. He's more Danny A. Mondola than Julian Edelman. And after that, if they're gonna play digs in the slot, so that's one thing. I know, you think they're gonna play digs in the slot, I'd see Moore as a Z. So now you're down to Jalen Polk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of it.
Speaker 1: And like Kedrick Bourne, I guess, I guess.
Speaker 5: If you feel good about those as your slot options, especially in a different slot than a different kind of slot player than maybe Polk is. I kind of want to do this later in the show, but I'll just bring it up now. Like there's always two or three guys that I think the Patriots are gonna take. You know, everything tells me the Patriots are gonna take that I want to get into a mock draft that I don't end up getting in, and usually they end up taking one of those guys, and it bugs me because I didn't put him in both Iowa State receivers or in that category.
Speaker 1: For me, this year.
Speaker 5: I did one last night. I was texting about this. I was trying to get Noel or Higgins in. Yeah, I couldn't make it work. I ended up putting Tray Harrison, who I think is a fit too. But like I bet you, I'm gonna regret not putting one of the Iowa state wide receivers in. But if I put one in, they would have taken the other, so I would regret it either way. But I regret not getting those guys my mock draps.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. The nole thing to me is interesting, and I know that I was thinking. It was yesterday that that Los Angeles the Chargers put out bear side of the trade call for Ladd McConkie, and it just kind of brought the whole thing back up again at the Patriots passing on Ladd McConkie. And I do wonder if this time around they say, well, we want to take a receiver here, Knowle's the best receiver. We literally just made this mistake a year ago, passing on the receiver because it was too redundant to the guys we already have, like, we're not going to do that again, and we're just gonna take Jalen Rowle to your point about the slot, Like I think Diggs is a Z. But in historically, you know, there's two different types of of like Patriot slots. Right, There's like the Welker Edelman slot that's truly a third receiver that comes on the field in eleven and plays the slot. And then there's the Julian Edelman slot who's kind of like a moveable piece that is really truly playing the Z, but he's playing like a fifty to fifty split of inside outside. So I see Stefan Diggs playing more in that like Julian Edelman type of archetype or mold of being an inside outside guy, a movable chess piece around the formation type of guy. If they take a guy like Jalen Nole, that's probably his best role as well. So how do you make that work? Maybe it's Nol in the slot early on. Diggs is probably not a long term thing here in New England. It's probably more of a short term thing. So maybe in twenty twenty six or twenty twenty seven, Nol you know, moves over and plays more on the outside. All right, Randy is in Providence. What's up? Randy.
Speaker 2: Hey, how's it going, guys?
Speaker 1: Eight?
Speaker 2: Hey, So I had a question that I had two takes. I want to get your reaction on. They'll be quick. So I saw tweet this morning from a guy named.
Speaker 1: Simon Charles is fake account, fake account?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, cool?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm not familiar with him, so all right, yeah, then two takes.
Speaker 1: Stop getting god by Simon Charles.
Speaker 4: Guys keep going, yeah, I'm not a big look, I'm not a big Twitter guy.
Speaker 3: We're to make it funny, you know, We're not making funny in that, all right?
Speaker 2: So, uh, two takes number one. I think Carter goes it too, and that's I don't know that that's like the hottest take in the world, but every one in the world has Hunter, and I just think like Andrew Berry is kind of known for enjoying the gamesmanship of this right, and he's kind of like been a little too public about it, and I don't know, I think that if he was going to sit down with Miles Garrett and sell him on a plan, telling him on like we're going to create this ridiculous path rush is more attractive to a guy like Miles Garrett. Then we're going to drive Travis Hunter and you, like you were saying earlier, you know, you can't exactly like one hundred percent promise, but we're going to get Hunter and Sanders or something like that, you know, So I just to me, I think that, you know, I'm always suspicious of news and stuff that comes out in April, especially from guys who like to kind of play the media a little bit, like they have that reputation like Andrew Prairie does. And then the hotter take that is quick is I think that more tight ends go in the top ten than quarterbacks or wide receivers were end.
Speaker 3: So I have a take along those lines.
Speaker 5: Thanks for the I think Mason Taylor's going to be first round pick, or if not first round, like I don't think he's gonna be on the board of thirty eight because Tyler Warren's gonna go top ten, Wavelin's gonna go top twenty, if not top fifteen. Some people think he might go before Warren. Mason Taylor right now on the consensus board is fifty. Yeah, So let's see even say loved and falls to twenty were going thirty picks without a tight end were going twenty picks a year after brock Bowers in a copycat league like and there's teams that need tight ends. The Rams are down there, they need a tight end. You could argue the Ravens should start getting ready for life after Marc Andrews Denver. Denver needs a tight end at twenty. If Loveland goes higher, I think that's probably Loveland's floor floor. Like Mason, I don't think Mason Taylor, there's a I think there's a really good chance Mason Taylor is not good at thirty eight. And I'll dress the take up a little bit and say, I think Mason Taylor's gonna be.
Speaker 1: A first round ten. So I think it's a I've heard that you're not alone. Yeah. To me, it's a lot of projecting for a first round pick. I get it. He's a good, great athlete.
Speaker 3: He's that much of a projection.
Speaker 1: He's just young, but he just doesn't have he doesn't have a great college production, but he's like the skill level is very polished for somebody his age. Yeah, I agree, he's good well in terms of the ball skills, certainly, like there's some route running detail that he's probably gonna have to hone in on in the pros. But he's a great athlete. He's a smooth athlete. He's a smooths catcher. The gauntlet drill that he'd put on in the combine was just breathtaking, right, Like, that's exactly how it should look. He's young, he's athletic, you know, all, it checks all of the boxes. I do think it's a little bit steep to put him in the first round, but I could see him going in the thirties for sure. Like I think that he's an early second.
Speaker 5: The real take is, I don't think he's on the board of thirty eight. But you know, as the Great League Courses said, we're in the entertainment business. I'll dress it up a little bit.
Speaker 1: Now. The the take about it being there being more tight ends than quarterbacks and receivers in the first round, that.
Speaker 3: One topped ten.
Speaker 1: He said, oh, in the top the top ten. Oh well, maybe, I mean, I guess maybe sometimes I could see it, because how are you gonna get three tight ends in the top ten? Are they gonna be two quarterbacks in the top ten? No, he's said quarterbacks and receivers.
Speaker 5: So what if one of these teams that needs a pass catcher, looks at it and likes Colston Lovelin better than McMillan or Golden, whoever's there.
Speaker 1: That's a big, big risk. It would have to be two to one. It would have to be two to one.
Speaker 5: But like I could see it. I don't know they did bet on it, but I could see it. You know, it's not gonna be three to two. It's gonna be two to one.
Speaker 1: Now if we're talking first round. I don't see it at all. Like I think McMillan, eg, Buka, Matthew Golden our lock first round picks at receiver, and cam Ward's a lock first round pick a cord I sneaky love if he falls there, Buka to the Eagles at thirty two, Yeah, would be such a good pick.
Speaker 3: And I have not seen nearly enough people talk about that.
Speaker 1: I know if he'll fall that far, but yeah, it's a good pick. But those four guys are going in the first round. I can't get too.
Speaker 5: Because it's it's kind of the same thing with Tet where he's not that that level of athlete that teams usually want from wide receivers in the first round. He's incredibly skilled and he's a good player, and it's annoying that we're kind of just banking so much on athleticism and not looking at how good is this guy at football? Actually it's not just a track meet. But yeah, like, if Tedt's gonna fall, you can make an argument that Buka's gonna fall too, because they're short. They're very different players, but their shortcomings on the surface are kind of.
Speaker 1: They both don't have top end speed, right, they both have that modest place uh top end speed. I wouldn't call it play speed because I think ted is fast with the ball in his hands, but they are not necessarily dynamic route runners in terms of speed. I could I could see a Buka falling a little bit. I still feel like he's right in that jsn addison z A Flowers sweet spot right right in the twenties somewhere makes the most sense for Buka. All right, Rio is in Texas? What's up?
Speaker 6: Rio?
Speaker 1: Rio? You're there? Good?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 7: I'm ready for this draft season to be over. I don't know if you all feeling in the same.
Speaker 1: Way we love the draft season here. Oh yeah, I don't know. There's something about like sea ready to be over and like wanting to know who they are actually going to take. I think are two different things. I'm ready to actually see who they're gonna take.
Speaker 5: I enjoy it, it's fun to talk about and all that, but there is an element of, like, you put all this work in you want to pay off. You won't know if you were right or not right, So it's kind of there's a there's a balance there.
Speaker 7: Well, none of us are going to be right in the end, but I just wanted to get a couple of things off of my chest and then ask a ask a question kind of with Patty was saying earlier. You know, going back, it's been a very long draft season and I spent quite frankly since the words young Tunger Cat were uttered. I've been looking at the draft class because I was a little dubious at that point, and this draft has reminded me of a lot of twenty twenty two, where you're going to have a whole bunch of prospects debated at the top, and I think we're going to look back in three years and say, yeah, there are a couple of guys that are pretty good, and the rest of them that we've been debating, they all kind of stink. There's nothing great there. And when Alex brought up earlier with Darius Hayward Day and Michael Crabtree, you know that was a shocking pick at the time. Neither guy was any good Tree.
Speaker 1: He was solid.
Speaker 3: He wasn't what he was supposed to be, but he was solid.
Speaker 7: Do you want to take him as a tautent tick? I don't, But my thinking is why not try to avoid the entire mess basically? And I know you thought that. Evan said earlier that the Raiders were going to take care of Colton Miller. I don't think they are. I think they're going to try to go a different direction. What do you think about just one for six and Colton Miller? Just valu him as a third round pick since you have to pay him, take yourself out of the position where you even have to be thinking, I have to take a tackle at four overall because we got to protect Drake May and now you open up the board for yourself at six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a good theory. Rio, thanks for the call.
Speaker 5: Real quick, just for the record. Yeah, Michael Crabtree seventeen game average in his.
Speaker 1: Career, stuck on Crabtree averaged.
Speaker 5: Over seventeen games each season, seventy six catches, nine hundred yards, seven touchdowns.
Speaker 1: I'd take that. Yeah, he was fine. That's fine. He wasn't what he was full to be, but he's not a bad player. Would I trade for for six and Colton Miller? Yeah, I probably would. I would. I don't think the Raiders would. I don't know if the Raiders would. I also have just decided that the market for these trades that include veteran players is so wacky at this point that I'm done trying to predict what exactly a player is going to get in return. Colton Miller could be worth the first round pick, it could be worth the seventh round pick. I honestly have no idea anymore, because everything seems to be a case by case basis where it just depends on the supply and the demand and that all this.
Speaker 3: There's more demand at the position.
Speaker 5: But yeah, if you're the Raiders, would you rather move up two spots or get the thirty eighth pick outright.
Speaker 1: In this draft? How would they get the thirty eighth pick for Coldon Miller?
Speaker 5: I'm saying if those are the two options, right, you can either move up probably get the thirty eighth pick. I would too if I'm the Raiders. So the whole six to fourth thing that doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Well unless the only way I guess I wouldn't it just to play Devil's advocate, is if the Raiders are convinced that Genty's going five to the Jaguars and they want genty, so then you got yes, you're jumping the Jaguars to get genty I.
Speaker 5: It also doesn't matter because there was nothing in that report that Colton Miller wants to be traded right, just that he wants a new contract. He's a starting caliber left tackle. We've talked about how hard those guys are to find. That's gonna you're you're that was less than a week ago. So you're gonna trade a guy over contract dispute if it's even reached that point it's optional workouts. Yeah, you're gonna move on from that guy in a week. Over All that a twenty nine year old starting left tackle, because.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a camp trade.
Speaker 5: If it's a trade right now, and the Patriots absolutely cannot say, well, Colton Miller might be available, so we're not gonna take a left tackle. You can't do that because if he doesn't become available, which odds are he won't because these tackles never become available. If he doesn't become available, now you don't.
Speaker 1: Have a tackle. You the Colton Miller thing.
Speaker 5: It's a nice thought, there it logistically for a million reasons won't happen.
Speaker 1: The question that I would pose, and feel free to call on an email, and and I'm not saying this argumentatively necessarily, but the question that I would pose is that, are all these people that are trying to find I'm not picking on Rio either, all these people that are trying to find creative ways to get out of taking Will Campbell at for overall or any tackle? Is it because, and be honest with yourself, is it because you just don't like the player? Yeah? Or is it because you don't like the idea of taking a tackle because it's not fun enough? Right? Like, it's just not like you want to come out of this draft with something that is sexy, something that is appealing, something that is fun, and it socks for Christmas, and you don't want to pull the you know, you don't want to pull the trigger on socks for Christmas you want the Xbox, And like, now we're just talking ourselves into every other possible avenue. You know, take gent ed four, trade back up into the twenties for the tackle, trade four for six and Colton Miller, you know, trade a third round pick for Colton Miller, and then you don't need to take the tackle at four. We're just trying to find a bunch of different ways to avoid taking the tackle. And I'm genuinely curious if that is because you just don't like the players available at the position, or it's because you don't want to take the tackle, because I think a lot for a lot of people is that you just don't want to take the tackle. You just don't. You just don't want the socks and underwear for Christmas. You want the xbox. And sometimes, speaking as an adult right now, that's trying to adult and failing miserably telling you right now, the socks for Christmas are practical and they're great. And again, if you don't.
Speaker 5: Want Campbell, that's fine, but like you got to tell me then, especially you're like, if you tell me member with four, fine, okay, you believe more in him than Campbell.
Speaker 1: I'm talking tackles in general.
Speaker 5: Right, if you're saying I don't want to tackle it for you got to tell me either how else you're getting that player or why you're comfortable with Vederian low starting her again?
Speaker 1: All right, Jordan is in Ohio. It's up, Jordan.
Speaker 2: Uh, George Pickens?
Speaker 8: Would you guys a day too like a third round pick for him? That's my first question. Second, would what's your guys.
Speaker 4: Spots on Jehem Bell moving the full back?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Thanks for the call of Jordan. I say a Day two pick, like when I trade seventy seven for George Pickens?
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably probably, I'm not trading thirty five.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I would trade thirty eight for him. He's not their type of guy, like obviously with some of the character stuff, and he's a little bit of a head case, like he's just not a very able kind of guy.
Speaker 5: And what is he looking for? Is he looking for a new contract? Is he coming here trying to reset his value? And he plans on hidden free agency? If he's coming as a rental, No, I maybe late day three. I'm not trading a top three pick or a top uners pick for rental.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna go crazy and be like, I don't want George Pickens on my type. But I'm just saying that I would probably be conservative. I wouldn't give up thirty eight, but I give up seventy seven for George Pickens probably, like I.
Speaker 5: Think you kind of not going to sign a new contract. Okay, that he's in the last year's deal.
Speaker 1: Right, getting there. I don't know if it's the last year.
Speaker 3: He's in twenty two draft four? Yeah's the second round pick.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have a rookie options, so yes, last year was deal? All right? Mark is in Connecticut? What's up? Mark?
Speaker 8: Are we ready?
Speaker 6: Guys?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right of course.
Speaker 9: Evan, my draft board is very similar to yours, which is great. So that makes me feel a lot better.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know about that.
Speaker 9: I mean, we're either going to be good or bad. That's one of the consensus.
Speaker 2: But Travis Hunter, I.
Speaker 9: Want everything we got to do to pop up one or two picks. What is it going to take? Is it going to take a second and a third from this year to do that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: I just wanted to get your guys' tensus on how much draft capital we gotta do to move up one spot.
Speaker 4: Maybe two spots.
Speaker 3: More than you should. He's the guy more than you should.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the call, Mark. I love Travis Hunter. I actually finished with him as my number one player in the I think he's the best player in the draft. I think he's a great player. I think you're probably looking up a giving up the twenty twenty six first round pick. Yeah, I truly think it's going to be something like that. We had a caller earlier, I can't remember which when it was, sorry, but in call her earlier saying that they think that the Browns are going to take Abdul Carter instead of Travis Hunter and pull fast foot on everybody. Andrew Berry the Browns GM called him the show hey Otani of football. Right. I'm sorry, but even if he just wants to be coy, even if he just wants to play games, even if he just wants to have fun with the media, you cannot go on the record in a press conference comparing a guy to show Heyotani. I'm not necessarily a baseball guy. There's some baseball people that think he's the best player of all time in baseball, right, like that, that's not a hot take to say that, Shoeyo Tani might be the best player of all time at his sport. If you are comparing that guy to that player in shoe Heyotani and Travis Hunter, you are taking Travis Hunter because if three years from now you ended up being right and you passed on show Hey Otania Football, then you are going to look like a moron. So you're not doing that.
Speaker 5: It's going to cost the future first either way, I don't it's not worth They need more than one great player, and Travis Hunter is a great player, but he's not worth, you know, getting a potential game changer this year, whether it be Will Campbell, Jalen Walker, even Ash and Genty somebody else. Yeah, plus whoever're gonna get next year in a better draft. It's it's not worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. All right, Henry is in DC. What's up? Henry?
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, thanks so much for taking my call. Love listening to the show. You getty, good listener. I like to run a lot of draft simulations, and there's two situations I was interested in.
Speaker 2: Your take on.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 10: The first is in the second round. I feel like there's always three or four guys that I really want, and none of them fall to thirty eight. So for each of year, who's someone that you'd be pounding the table to trade up to get at like thirty three or thirty four? And then in the third round, I feel like there's just so many good options that I can't pick between them, and I never know what to do. So my two questions are who would you trade up to get at thirty three or thirty four? And then what would an A plus third round look like?
Speaker 1: To each you O great good questions, Henry, Who would I trade up for in the second round? Line? There are a lot, I think it all. It's hard to answer because it depends on who they take it for. Right If they don't take a tackle at four, then I they're trading up for a tackle, right, like they have to trade up for Connorly or a nursery in my mind. The other guy that you know, I don't know if I necessarily would need to trade up for him or would but just in terms of, you know, for the sake of conversation, as they like to say, one of the more fascinating players in this draft to me from Patriots perspective is Luther Burden because they are a team that needs special talent on the offensive side of the ball that needs game changing skill talent on the offensive side of the ball, which is one hundred and ten percent what Luther Burden is. But they've also spent the entire offseason targeting guys that are high character players, that are good locker room guys, that are leaders, that are captain material, all these kinds of things. And if Luther Burden falls out of the first round, it's going to be because of the football character question marks, right, It's going to be about the person Luther Burden, not the player Luther Burden. So if the Patriots are sitting there at thirty eight and Luther Burden's falling because of the concerns about his character and his makeup, that to me is the ultimate litmus test of the Mike Rabol program. Would they take the risk on a player like Luther Burden Because to me, and I don't know the guy, I don't do the vetting. I'm not a big dom in Philadelphi, right, I'm not. I'm not making calls and finding out about these guys. But to me, Luther Burden would really tip the scales for the Patriots, Like if they came out of this draft with Will Campbell and Luther Burden, Like, I am absolutely ecstatic. Would they do it? Would they take Luther Burden? I'm prepared to be disappointed.
Speaker 5: He's like everything we've heard they're not looking for with some of the red flags, which I think are overblown.
Speaker 3: I go watch Drew Locke.
Speaker 1: I'd be pissed to Brady after Brady Cook, thank you. I liked Drew Locke. That do you still like?
Speaker 3: I do still like Drew.
Speaker 1: That's why you won't quit Drew.
Speaker 5: I won't quit Drew Locke and you won't quit Tes Johnson. But I'd be frustrated to about him. He is you said it there.
Speaker 1: He is exactly the kind of receiver the Patriots need. He is explosive breaker, He's a yeah, game breaker is a great way to put it. But are those off field concerns going to be an issue? The only reason he's we're even having this conversation is because of those because the issues aren't on the tape. So I'm prepared to be let down by that. But like, if he's there at thirty eight or within range of trade up, like I would love for them to take him, I'm just not expecting it. Yep, all right, Ken is in Louisiana. What's up? Ken?
Speaker 4: Hey Evan, how's it going good? Before I do anything, I wanted to thank both of you guys for the amount of research and the affort you put into this draft season, because you've made this incredibly enjoyable and informative in you know, you two are my go to guys for Thank you, Thank you. It means a lot of research. Secondly, I really you know, I was reading a column today and it kind of mirrored something I was thinking was, this is a very obvious pick for the Patriots. They have always been talking about protecting the protecting the quarterback, and they've been talking about this for a long time. And uh, you know, Will Campbell may not be what everybody thinks they should get for a fourth round pick, but you worth a fourth you know, fourth pick. But he's worth a fourth pick to us, you know, on a on a on a team level. You know, other people maybe you know or maybe that's not the case if you've got a line, but you know, to go back to your Christmas uh uh gift, we got holes in our socks and uh and this guy you know has got a darning needle and can make it better. One of the other things I was I lived for ten years in Monroe, Louisiana, where he's from. It is a football rich area. It's like a backwater for everything else. But I mean all that is a really football rich area. Just a couple of names. Cam Robinson was from Monroe, Andrew Whitworth was from Monroe. So you know, kids grow up there, you know, they're not just the tallest kid, and they on the team and they get to play quarterback and then they go to hockey hockey practice at the end of the season. They grow up, you know, wanting to be lineman or something like that. And so there's a very very rich history for that area. You know. Well, Milt Williams, you know, played college ball there. Doug Peterson played college ball there. You know, so there's you know, it's a really football rich area. Anyway, That's that's all I had. And thank you very much for all the really good work you've.
Speaker 2: Done for us this season.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Thanks Ken. That was a great call, not just because he was praising us.
Speaker 3: But I love his research. So I just looked it up.
Speaker 5: Neville High Schools where where Will Campbell went to uh went to high school there. I don't know if there's more than one high school in Monroe, but it's a pretty good alumni list. Larry Anderson, Bubby Brister, who else.
Speaker 1: Is on here?
Speaker 5: Some other older players I haven't heard of. Justin Ellis was a good player back in the day. Caventre Turpin, Max Mitchell also the head strength and conditioning coach for the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: There you go, who's now with the Bills. I guess that's not updated.
Speaker 1: I thought he put it great where you know Will Campbell And this is what we've all been pounding the table. It might not be the best pick for everybody, it might not be the best pick in every year for the fourth overall pick, but for this team, for this year, it's the best pick that they can possibly make. I think that's the best way to put it. That's a perfect way to put it. I would just say you and I started doing this together in twenty eighteen seventeen right around there. You and I have never covered a draft where left tackle wasn't in need. We have never done it. We have never covered a draft. Maybe the only time was like nineteen right after they had drafted Isaiah Win in eighteen. I guess they probably, but I think assume that Win was going to be the left tackle in nineteen coming off the injury. But he's coming off an injury, right.
Speaker 5: There were questions about him coming off the injury, and I did they need a right tackle that year?
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 3: When after they? Did they like Cannon go after eighteen.
Speaker 1: Or after nineteen? Yeah, you have to, I don't.
Speaker 5: I'm okay still at Cannon, So maybe twenty nineteen is the one year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he was coming off a Win was coming off of torn achilles at the time. He tore his achilles in the preseason the year before. We have never covered a draft where the Patriots haven't had a need at left tackle. They have also and we're getting old. So that's we're going on in like eight drafts where we've talked about tackles every single year. We are also going on two to three years now of the Patriots having some of the worst offensive line play in the NFL, the worst like twenty twenty two, twenty three, twenty four, when you've just seen a precipitous drop off of their offensive line play from bad to worse here in New England. So if they draft. Will Campbell had four overall, which is certainly what it seems like. You need to come out of this draft with the dancer at left tackle. You need to come out of this draft elevating the talent in the room on the offensive line. And it's easy to sit back now and not want to build through the trenches. And then everybody gets to the season, yep, and they watched Drake May get battered and beaten for six months. They watch Mandre Stevenson fumble a bajillion times and have no place to run the entire year, and everything gets blamed on the offensive line, and then we get to April and nobody wants to draft alignment.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It's I get it. It's it's not fun. Like I would much rather than get Travis Hunter just for the pure excitement. I think he's a better player too. But even if I thought they were equal, I probably might want Travis Hunter more because it's more exciting, it's more fun. But sometimes you just need to go with what you need, and what they need is the left tackle. I just I thought that the callers said it great. It just is the best pick for them this year.
Speaker 5: So when I when we work together in twenty nineteen, we covered that draft I didn't like, so I apologize in advance that I can't do this to myself. So I don't want you to think I'm taking a personal shot. I found your mock draft from twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: I don't want to know.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 3: So thirty two, Yeah, Jerry Tillery Notre Dame.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I did like him defensive tackle.
Speaker 3: In the second round.
Speaker 5: You actually had them trading up in the second round to take offensive tackle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dalton Reisner. I was right about that, So clearly he's a better guard.
Speaker 3: Would you say?
Speaker 5: As always, we can expect a lot of trades from Belichick on draft weekend. We try to predict one here, and it comes back to the cluster theory, whatever that is.
Speaker 3: This is a strong.
Speaker 5: Offensive tackle class, but the drop off after a certain point is considerable. The Patriots jump up ten spots at one of the premier players at the position. New England could opt for left tackle prospects like old Missus Greg Little or Caleb McGarry, and I also like the versatile Titus Howard. Here, you weren't necessarily wrong, but we go with Reisner as a scheme, as a system and culture fit.
Speaker 3: You said Scar would love him.
Speaker 1: And uh tough guyoun on the.
Speaker 5: Right side, Shack Mason and Reisner would give the Patriots two bulldozers. So we were talking tackle in the top maybe not in first pick. I also found the mock draft tracker. There's a lot to Jerry Tillery, a lot of Yeah, there's some quarterbacks in there, Drew Locke, Will Greer, shout out to Rick Sarah Tella who had Jeffrey Simmons.
Speaker 1: So that that was, But there there are a couple bad draft. We were talking tackle in the top one hundred. We all were so sure that Belichick would never draft or receive in the first round. Yeah, yeah, and so especially that year. None of us were on that scent because of that. But good pull, good pull, not terrible.
Speaker 5: Hang on, you want the rest of it while we're here, Just just a couple the whole thing. Will Greer, Jase Sternberger. They did get Will Gear eventually. Yeah, you had me Cole Hardman in the third round, ninety seventh. Overall, there we go. Pats Way wires the third round. This one directly relates to their tears system. You said he could be an element player who moves around the formation, can return kicks. Okay, who else did you have here? Most of these Day three guys didn't make it in the league so well, but their Day three Oh yeah, they had like five seventh round pixels here. Yeah, so you take me Cole Hardman ninety seventh. You took Jalen herb one thirty fourth and then they had four picks to fifty five picks. You must have made some trades five picks to fifty or later.
Speaker 1: I did like Jalen Hurd as well. I thought Jalen Hurd was gonna work. He's made sense.
Speaker 3: He met with We went with the Rutgers guy late.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a bunch of linemen on both sides. Nick Easley, Iowa, I like vaguely remember.
Speaker 1: Him, always easy to go at the lineman. Uh So every year we can safely say we've been talking about tackles, whether it's left or right or whatever the case may be. I just I'm sick of it. I'm sick of talking about tackles. I'm sick of the offensive line, you know, not being up to snuff, not being NFL caliber. And I think what we've learned over the last couple of years no, it doesn't necessarily move the needle like a top flight receiver would, like a Jamar Chase level receiver would. But we've learned over the years is that you literally cannot operate with a bad offensive line. It doesn't have to be great, it doesn't have to be elite. It doesn't have to be Philly's offensive line or Detroit's offensive line. It can be middle of the pack, but you have to be at a certain le on the offensive line because you just can't call plays right with an offensive line at that And we've seen it. So I just let's let's take the socks for Christmas people. It'll be okay? Will is uh? Is that Kentucky? Maybe I don't know. I'm bad with my abbreviations. What's up? Will?
Speaker 2: Not much?
Speaker 12: I'm with the socks and some Kentucky thing or the socks for Christmas thing? Because receivers look better when the quarterbacks got more time to throw the football. If you can't even finish this drop before you're getting hit, how you getting even get the ball out? I'm tired of wat of some people get smacked back there playing quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough? Well what else you got?
Speaker 12: Oh question? What's what would what's the chances of them, like somebody like say the Giants throwing a curveball since they need a right tackle and getting Membo instead of abdual Carter because then they move Evan Neil into guards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and thanks for the call. Well, I I don't think there's a very good chance of that. Now. Is there a chance that they trade out of the pick? They trade the Giants trade back with somebody so somebody else can take at dual Carter three? Sure, there's no reason for them to take at dual Carter Act three or excuse me, arm On Membo. Yeah right, No, like they can trade out of that pick, somebody else will take the pick for Abdul Carter and they can still take Membo at six. Right, anybody sneaks up in there, it's gonna be genty.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do the Giants over correct?
Speaker 5: Is Joe Shane over correct on losing Saquon Barkley and take genty and three because that's the one.
Speaker 1: If you move back you might not get them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we have about approximately one thousand emails coming in.
Speaker 5: A little little breaking news real quick here. The Saints are picking up chrys Olave's fifty year options. So he's been kind of loosely floated as a Patriots trade target and.
Speaker 1: Now is an extra year on his contract. Okay, And they're not picking up the option on Trevor Penning, all right, Trevor Penning is not good.
Speaker 5: If Will Campbell is a guard, like you all say, Trevor Penning is not good, it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be a lot of copio Trevor Penning.
Speaker 1: Trevor Penning is a big draft bust.
Speaker 3: He should probably be played. I think he'd be okay as the guard.
Speaker 1: That's a guy. He's tall though, he's like a big it's true, I don't. I think McKay Beckton kind of proved you can have tall guards though. But Makai Becton is like huge, right, Like he's Trevor Petting's like a tall athlete, like he's kind of like a Nate Soldier build. Yeah, all right. Marcel is from Austria. He's emailing in and uh, I look, I understand Marcel's train of thought here a little bit.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: He has a quick draft question for us, which isn't so quick. But that's okay, Marcel, we still love you. If Membo can't play left tackle because he can't make the switch from right to left. And if Campbell can't play left tackle because of the arm wingspan, then shouldn't the Patriots take Armond Membu essentially? And to me, which I've said before, which I'm saying a lot today, to me, this is the best pro Membu argument for the Membu people. The pro Membo argument is that no matter what, Membu is a tackle, he might be a right tackle, but he's gonna play tackle, so he's either your left tackle or he's right tackle in the future. Morgan Moses is thirty four years old. Either way, he's there's a path for him to be a starting NFL tackle. For Will Campbell, the backup plan is guard. So in theory, Membo would have a little bit more value positionally than Will camp I.
Speaker 5: Just think you shouldn't And I look, I get drafts haven't gone here well last few years. Besides last year, you shouldn't be drafting a player based off of what is the worst case scenario, Like that's just drafting scared to me. Yeah, because if Campbell hits, he's going to be a better left tackle than Membo.
Speaker 3: If he adds I think so.
Speaker 5: And somebodys say you shouldn't just draft for the ceiling either, like there has to be a happy medium, which flying arguing, well, if it all hits the fan, you'd rather end up with the worst version of arm On Membo than the worst version of Will Campbell. That's probably true, but you shouldn't be drafting with that mentality. That's kind of sad if that's how you're approaching it. Yeah, And honestly, if you're gonna draft purely on four, then it's Ashton genty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ashton gen is the highest floor of any of these guys were talking about. So I do think that that is it's an outside the box reason to take armand Membu. Yeah, but it is the best case for Armel Membu, which is that he's going to play tackle. It just depends on which side of the formation he's going to be on. At the same time, I grade out Will Campbell higher at tackle than I grade out Membo. Right, And a couple of the other questions on Campbell and Membu that I wanted to get to one other. I'm sorry I lost the email, but I'll just ask the question, was you know that Membu had better tape against the same competition. They both were in the SEC, they both went through the SEC gauntlet last year. The only pushback I would have about that is that I don't think that their past blocking reps were apples to apples. I think Will Campbell had tougher assignments. I think Will Campbell was left more consistently on an island without chip help, without moving pockets, like straight NFL styled rop back passing, compared to Membu, which I thought was a little bit more helped out by Missouri.
Speaker 5: And it's also Missouri's running more RPOs, more play action screens, whereas it's it LSU was straight set the pocket. You just set the pocket for a guy that had no clue where to go in there. But yeah, I'm with you on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a little bit of so PFF tracks true pass sets. Yeah, that's the which takes out play action screen, RPO, quick game and really measures like the dropbacks where the quarterback actually has to hold the ball for a couple beats, right, and you're really pass blocking like in an NFL level. Membo had almost I think it might have been one hundred less true pass sets last year than Will Campbell one hundred I think, which is a lot. So Campbell by far had the most out of the top six tackles. Right, Yeah, it wasn't. There were a couple guys that were close, like Ursery I think was close, but he had the most they ran, and then Membu had near the bottom. So when you talk about like apples to apples, with that, I do think that Campbell had the tougher job to do. Yes. The other question here from Aiden, which I think is a good question, is that you hear a lot about Membo and Banks and their upside and how they're younger players, and you don't hear the same for Will Campbell, even though he's a true junior as well and it is coming out with a good athletic profile. I would just say that the upside. People feel like the upside with Campbell is tapped because of the length, like that's what it is, like. They don't think because of history and because of precedent. There isn't a ton of precedent of a thirty three inch t arm tackle turning into an all pro Like there just isn't a lot of that now. If you really want to be sunk in on Campbell. I think the one kind of rebuttal to that argument. They haven't really tried a lot of thirty three inch arm tackles at tackle right. You know, it used to be thirty four, so if you were anything under thirty four, you were automatically kicked inside until Rashawn Slater about five years ago, you know, ten years ago, whatever that was, and he kind of changed the threshold. So now you're starting to see Rashawn Slater. The Colts have two tackles that play it under thirty three inches. Smith and Bernard Raymond both play left and right tackle with sub thirty three inch arms. Caleb McGarry plays right tackle with sub thirty three inch arms. So there's our guys now at the threshold has moved a little bit, that are doing it a little bit more. But none of them have been named to All Pro, Pro Bowl or anything like that. Raymond's probably the best player. Yeah, and he's coming the closest.
Speaker 3: And I well know Schlater was an All bro he at thirty three.
Speaker 5: At thirty three, Well, Campbell's at thirty three, So I think, no, he is, don't laugh, he is, I'm laughing.
Speaker 3: I also think.
Speaker 5: People are waiting to hear about the upside like after last year, right, Marvin Harrison, and probably little too high on Marvin Harrison, but like very good player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are kind of.
Speaker 5: Waiting to hear about the Marvin Harrison joe all the upside because the Patriots are picking that high. That's not this draft. The players with that upside aren't there. So Campbell's upside maybe isn't that of a typical top five pick or you know, four or five sixty seven in that range, assuming Carter and Hunter gone again, unless you want.
Speaker 3: To take genty. Nobody has that upside in this draft.
Speaker 1: Nobody does.
Speaker 5: So it's just again, this class is part of why the bars just lower. Somebody shared earlier this morning was at the twenty twelve NFL draft. The twenty thirteen Yeah, we're like this draft could be like that. This draft could very much be like that, where.
Speaker 1: That's DeAndre Hopkins went in like like twenty sixth or something in that draft, which is.
Speaker 5: Cristy, but I mean at the top, Eric Fisher, Luke Jokol, Dion Jordan, Lane, Johnson, Ezekiel Onsen, Barcavius Mango, Jonathan Cooper, Tevon Austin d Milner, Chance Warmack, I'll keep going DJ Fluker, d J. Hayden right, and those are considered the best players in the draft.
Speaker 1: Lane Johnson is the only good player right.
Speaker 5: But like, and it's different because Eric Fisher went first overall, Flip Lane Johnson Eric Fisher right if.
Speaker 1: Lane Johnson went forward because at the time there was still a stigma against left and right and Lane Johnson was a right tackle, not a left tackle. He was the best tackle in the draft, but he played right tackle, and so teams prioritize.
Speaker 5: But again, it's like, if that's the kind of class, if we find out ten years from now that that was the class we were looking at, that level of talent and they get a guy who starts, they get a guy who's a solid starter for ten years. Yeah, you feel pretty happy about that compared to what's around him.
Speaker 1: Well, this is I was texting you about this yesterday because I do listen to your station. This is what Felger was saying all day yesterday was that he doesn't think Will Campbell's were at the fourth pick, so he's not just picking him. And I was like, I'm sorry, but you can't create a player in Madden and put him into the draft so that you can create a player that has higher upside than Will Campbell. Like, this is the this is the group you're picking from. So tell me who is the player that you feel is better than Will Campbell? And I will probably disagree with you, frankly, because the point of the matter is is that all these guys, once you get past Abdul Carter and Travis Hunter, Ash and Genty aside, all these other guys are equal. They're all the same player to me, Bembo, Campbell, Graham, Warren, like, I all have them graded in one big cluster. And at the end of the day, like we've been saying for four months, Yeah, the position outweighs the rest of it because there's no other way to displace it up, there's no other way to slice the pie. Like, are you gonna take an interior run stuffer in Mason Graham or are you gonna take the position to need at left tackle? You're gonna take the left tackle. Are gonna take the tight end when you have Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper? Or are you gonna take the left tackle? You're gonna take the left tackle. So that's the type of draft that we're in. That's the deal breaker in a draft like this. Here's a question from Chris. He asks, Uh, if you're there at thirty eight and Arianti Ursery and Josh Simmons are both on the board, which player are you taking? I know, I know your answer to this. I think, I mean, if the medicals are clean, I'm taking Simmons. But I'm worried about the medicals being clean. All Right, I'm surprised you wouldn't consider Simmons. I think Simmons is a better player than Nursery. The medical stuff just scares me. Yeah. The other thing I wanted to bring up about Simmons one of the tidbits that I did feel like was worthy of that that was important that Mike Frabele shared in the pre draft press conference. Uh. He was asked, I believe it was by Andrew Callahan, like, what's the thing that you've learned about the draft from your time in Tennessee. And in Tennessee they took a number of injury risk players. Isaiah Wilson was both. He was both an injury risk and a character risk. They took a handful of those types of guys in Tennessee, and Rabel did point out that injury risk players, they got burned by them in Tennessee, and he probably wouldn't do that again. And if that's not Josh Simmons, and I don't know what it is. Right like that, Josh Simon sounded Josh Simmons. Now, the only diferences is that Josh Emmons went to his alma mater with Ryan Day, who's a good friend of his, so like, maybe they have better intel on the injury than he would normally. But that to me sounded a lot like Josh Simmons, do you want to play a little game. Let's play a little game with one of these emails? Is just one of the ones. We're gonna get myself in trouble again, I don't think so. Okay, So this is from Noah and he basically wants to give me, have us give our best argument for and against a couple of different players that are against consensus, like not guys that people have them taking normally Mason Graham four and against.
Speaker 5: Born against four like for the Patriots specifically, Yeah four. You know, you either get Christian Barmore insurance or you're just freaking so athletic upfront with him and Barmore and Milton Williams, Like, there's not a lot of offensive lines that are built to handle that athleticism. The case against is assuming Barmore is healthy and you know, knock On Wood, it's very early, but he's in the building. It's great all that. If he is healthy. He's not coming off the field. Milton Williams isn't coming off the field Keon White. I don't think it's coming off the field.
Speaker 1: You're using the.
Speaker 5: Fourth overall pick on a guy that's going to be a rotational player, using on a guy that's probably not gonna be on the field a ton at least initially. They need that first round pick to be an impact player right away, or you're knocking somebody else out of the lineup who has proven more so they can be an impact player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the four argument is exactly what you said. That is a game wrecking defensive line like Keon White, Milton Williams, Christian Barmore, Mason Graham is a heck of a group.
Speaker 5: How much are you gonna be able to put all those like justify putting those four guys on the field at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's fair. It could go one of two ways. Yeah, it's either the Philadelphia Eagles, where you just have waves of talent on the defensive line to send at people, or it's the Washington football team circa you know, twenty nineteen where they use like a bunch of first round picks on Alabama defensive lineman and all the only strength of their ross was their defensive line and they stunk everywhere else. Right, So those are the four and those are the against you're really putting all your eggs, and we're gonna be this dominant upfront team on defense and we're just not gonna give up any points in a.
Speaker 5: Draft that's so good at defensive tackle. I think you can if you want to recreate what the Eagles had, or even you go is I somebody sent me the because the thing about, well, do the Giants real they want to add Noal Carter because they have all these pass rushers. You know, somebody like, yeah, I missed the NASCAR defense. Yeah, Like, if you want to recreate that, I think you can get guys later in the draft to do that. You don't have to do that at four.
Speaker 1: This is an interesting one. It's not gonna happen, but it's just for the sake of the exercise for or against Jahati Baron Baron from Texas.
Speaker 5: I mean it's kind of like Mason Graham, where like, if you have Gonzalez and Carlton Davis on the outside, I think Baron's can play the slot. Right, If you have those two on the outside and Jaday Baron in the slot. Yeah, if Baron is the player people think he is, that might be the best cornerback trio in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Do you really want to allocate all your resources that heavily to that one position?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I shouldn't mention this is obviously would be in a trade. That be a trade now, Yeah, to get Baron, your argument for and against her are solid. Again, four, you have a nickel corner to complete the secondary. Yeah, that is a complete group with Gonzalez, Carlton Davis and Baron. Barn reminds me a ton of Brian Branch. I think he can play the nickel. I can think he can play a little bit of safety, physical, feisty, corner ballhowker you know, all around the football a ton That would be a great, great group against Again, it's same thing, as Mason Graham, you just had a lot of resources sunk in the corner. You might not give up a completion on defense, but you're not gonna be able to score on offense either, so it's not gonna matter. Yeah, that's the against all right, last one here, which is interesting but again probably not gonna happen. But fun Jalen Milroe at thirty eight four and against. I can't really make a case for that. I can't either, And people are gonna say, well, he'd be a good wide receiver.
Speaker 5: No, he's gonna get chance play quarterback. Yeah, and I think he has a chance to to, you know, make plays there.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: At the end of camp, somebody's quarterback gets hurt, you maybe flip them, like if you take him at thirty eight. Maybe somebody gets desperate for a quarterback and gives you a first round pick next year because they really need one.
Speaker 1: I'm really reaching here. No, I don't have one.
Speaker 3: That's a tough one.
Speaker 1: I do. I did like the exercise, but that was the one I couldn't. I couldn't. It's a thinker. I almost didn't even say it. I don't have before obviously obvious again, sir obvious. So you have Drake May and you don't need another quarterback. It's the Madden move where.
Speaker 5: The only good enfranchise, the only good player in the draft, or the best player in the draft is a position you already have loaded, but you draft him because you can just trade him immediately after the draft. But that's not how the real world works. Here's a case for Madden, but not in really.
Speaker 1: A couple more emails, then we'll take these last calls and we'll wrap it up. So Ashton, Canada rites in with two prospects he's surprised that we don't hear more about related to the Patriots. One is Walter Nolan, the three technique from Ole, miss The other one is one of our favorites, Jihad Campbell from Alabama. So Walter Nolan tapes a little streaky on Walter Nolan, but he's a good player, and I think that he's gonna be a good player in the pros if a team can get his motor on, turn that switch on permanently and not let it go right, which I thought at times it did watching his tape. But a penetrating three technique, it's the same thing with Mason Graham, Like, how many more interior penetrating defensive lineman can you possibly have on one roster? Right? You have Milton Williams. You think you're gonna have Christian Barr Moore, you have Keon White, Like, they're all kind of the same type of player, same type of position overlap. Yeah, it just is the same kind of argument. Giodd Campbell is an interesting one. He has the shoulder issue. He had surgery on his shoulder recently, like really recently, right after the combine, I want to say, and there is some doubt that he'll be ready to go to start the season. He could start the year on PUP. If he does start the year on pp and people have issues with the shoulder, Like, I see they're at thirty eight, and do you start to entertain g Hot Campbe because I think he's a first rounder all day. Yeah, but the injury might push him down.
Speaker 5: See that's where more comfortable taking the risks with an injury player. It's also a shoulder, it's not like a knee or an ankle. Right, Yeah, I like get Campbell.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think the reason we haven't talked and I really like Walter Nolan. I think did Trager have him go in like eleven or twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's gonna go high this morning. He's Gonnai people team sniffing around.
Speaker 5: That's the guy Trags keeps texting me about for Cincinnati. Walter Nolan. Yeah, we haven't talked about him, just because he's in between. Like it'd be a trade way down or a trade way up. If Campbell falls, I'd probably take him. I take the risk on the injury him. Robert Splane, those guys are gonna crack skulls. There a second level that'd be a really fun group. That's a case where as much as we've heart we've harped on drafting for knee throughout this process, there are certain guys that are just so good, especially later on, Like if they don't feel like they if they get the tackle for they don't feel like they're pressed to get a receiver. Yeah, Gihad Cambc's are a really good football Player's nothing wrong with adding a guy like that.
Speaker 1: I'd be really I'm interested to see. I think there's an argument, and I'm not necessarily saying I'm making it, but there is an argument Jalen Walker versus Gihod Campbell, Like I think that's maybe a little bit closer than some people make it out.
Speaker 5: I think Walker is the higher ceiling and that's why he's getting more looks. But like because he's a tweener and there's more development there, Giodd Campbell's gonna come in right away and be a damn good linebacker.
Speaker 1: I just think Giodd Campbell's got a little bit more size and a little bit more length. Like I think his edge rushing tape might actually be better than Jalen Walker. He reminds me of like Levonte David. I could see that. Yeah, yeah, I think it's really.
Speaker 5: His rushing tape is good. Which stands out to me is he's such a good coverage linebacker. Yeah, like in space and there are not, you know, not every not a lot of Fred Warners flowing around the league, and that maybe a little lofty of a camp but on my comp yeah, Tremaine Edmonds, Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really athletic. He's got that like soccer goalie thing going on, where like you got to throw around him in the middle of the field of the great wingspan. Uh, extremely good in space, smart coverage, can spy quarterbacks. Yeah, good football player. All right, Pedro in Brazil. It's a big market for US now these days, alex So shout out to Brazil. Uh, he said, outside of the first round, who would you put your money on that? At the end of the draft, this player will be a Patriot. This is the Jack Sawyer question. I'm just gonna say it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the obviously. Now I'm gonna go.
Speaker 5: Look, the only guy so I try not to double up in mock drafts the last couple of years, I have in the first round because they're picking so high with Drake May and Will Campbell. This year, there's only one other guy Wh've doubled up on in the last two years, Yeah, in mock drafts.
Speaker 1: And that is Drew Kendall. Yeah, so I think I kind of have to say Drew Kendall. Yeah, that's a good one. Jacksaw is a good one to Jack Sawyer. Drew Kendo obviously, big oz Ozzi Trapilo from Boston College.
Speaker 5: So I don't think so because he's a right tackle. No, not because I don't think they like him. I think he's gonna go kind of higher than people expect. Yeah, and I don't know that he's gonna go where they would take him. He might go between thirty eight and sixty. They're not gonna take him at thirty eight, it's too I he might go before sixty nine and they might not have a chance to get him. So he's another donut guy. I think they'd love to take him.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 5: I think he's their kind of guy. If it's profile. He's at BC with Moron and all that. Yeah, and he would be a good pick if they If you fall sixty nine, yeah, I wonder if somebody else is going to ruin that for them.
Speaker 1: Fair enough? All right, let's take these last two calls, and then we got to wrap it up. I know we got a ton of emails and then we really appreciate it, and I'm sorry that we didn't get to all of them, but there's just too many. So we'll get to some of them next week maybe. But Eldred is in North Carolina? What's up? Eldred? Good question?
Speaker 2: Make it real quick. I four, I want to trade up to get him.
Speaker 10: Would y'all take that trade?
Speaker 6: Or would you do a big gent?
Speaker 8: And then what are y'all hearing about Darian Porter?
Speaker 7: Is he?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 4: Third round round? Boss Jack?
Speaker 5: And I take it off.
Speaker 1: Who is that? I think it was Darian Porter, you said, Aldrin the corner corner back. Yeah, yeah, yeah, thanks for call Aldrick appreciated. Uh. First question was about genty right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Would you take the trader? Would you take him? If it's a good trade I'm taking.
Speaker 1: I would take the trades, yep. I would take the trade first and then I and then uh maybe think about taking gent but I take the trade, yep. And uh. Darian Porter really good athlete.
Speaker 3: This is the kind of guy.
Speaker 5: If they they don't need a boundary corner, that's like the lowest position in need. But if they, if they hadn't signed Carlton Davis, you guys would have been sick of hearing me talk about Darian Porter.
Speaker 1: You know how ages I am.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be twenty four year old.
Speaker 1: Okay, reminds me of Quall and a lot though a little bit of trek walling in his game. How long it took that guy to care to matter?
Speaker 7: Though?
Speaker 1: Like one, no, no, Darian, Like this is the only year that he started full time in Iowa. That's true. Like he he literally he's the definition of like I mean, did block three punts while these planets I am a man amongst boys, like I am twenty four years old playing against nineteen year olds, and they shows. That's the only thing I'd worry about. With Darien Porter, I didn't. He also didn't play a ton of man to man, and I at Iowa. He's more of like a zone corner. Yeah, but really really good.
Speaker 3: He's gonna go to Vegas and be nasty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a good good comp to Grequelle. Craig is in Ohio but originally from Providence. What's up, Craig?
Speaker 10: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 6: So I have twoth eggs that quit. First thing is is I'll be in from Rhode isowad not having a college man living out here in Ohio. That's all I hear about.
Speaker 8: All day long, and it's annoying.
Speaker 6: Nomber two. I hear everybody's case against Will Campbell. But my thing I always come back to is I always say that he only gave up four stacks. So what is the case for him being a guard if he's only given up four sacks?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Thanks for the call, Craig. I think this in general, and this is not a Will Campbell take. This is a general take. I don't really believe that the production base, like the charting metrics for college tackles, I don't think that that holds much weight going to the NFL because so much of that is fluffed up by screens and RPOs and quick game throws and all this kind of stuff that doesn't necessarily happen at the same volume as the at the NFL level. Like armand Membu gave up eight pressures the entire season last year at Missouri eight all hurries, no sacks, no quarterback hits. But how many of those dropbacks were screens? How many of those dropbacks were bootlegs? How many of those dropbacks were RPOs? Right, So a lot of those metrics are not exactly We don't see a ton of that being predictive like that. That is, this guy gave up x amount of saxon college, so he's going to be a good pro. The data would tell you that it's not necessarily predictive like that, So you just have to keep that stuff in mind. All right, last call here, Cuba is in Atlanta. What's up, Cuba?
Speaker 13: Hey, I wanted to act about jalend. Nobody heres asked the vote or said what kind of gets shorter? In the ready has so we'll that affect him. We will go to affect a steam on what they do tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I think that all right, Thanks for the call, so Jalen Polk. I think we're all in the boat, at least me personally. I guess I should say of expecting the worst and hoping for the best, Like I hope that he can that last year was you know, an aberration, and he breaks out this year, and I hope that it works out. I do. Uh. There's not a lot of precedent for a receiver being really uh, non contributor as a rookie and then suddenly block coming into a really productive player. There just isn't there's guys that have done it. You know, DeVante Adams is always kind of the poster child for this. But DeVante Adams put up some numbers as a rookie, like he had some production. You hear a lot about like the five hundred yard club, Like if you hit five hundred yards as a rookie, you're on your way to being a really good NFL player. There's just not a ton of president for guys that have caught as few passes as Jalen Polk going on to be productive NFL players. I think at this point you can safely say Jalen Polk's ceiling is probably like on an NFL roster.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, I don't think they need a rush to move on from them. Bring him into camp, see where he's at. But yeah, I don't think he necessarily cement many plans or anything.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, all right, that does it for today's show. I wish we could get to all these emails, but we'd be here for another hour and we just can't swing that. So I apologize to all the emailers that emailed in and we weren't able to get to you. But we'll be back next week and we'll recap the draft. It will be a big show. We'll go pick bike pick like we always do and recap the draft one at a time, and hopefully there'll be plenty of discussion about what the Patriots do over the next couple of days for us next week. But until next time, do you have to shout out our friends at bud Light. It's easy to drink, easy to enjoy. Bud Light, the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots. Alex and I are going to need a bud light on Sunday. I think maybe ten bud lights on Sunday. All right, guys, we'll see you next week. Enjoy the Draft.
Speaker 3: Joy the Draft.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is Fred. Thanks for tuning into the show.
Speaker 11: If you really want to help us, make sure that you like us wherever you get your podcasts, like Apple Podcasts or Spotify, and also make sure you follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube page to see this show in everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot.