Speaker 1: Hi Catherine, Hi Chelsea, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm great, Thank you. I'm been in my worka Oh delightful.
Speaker 1: I love it, Simon, It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Well, I have an update for us, Chelsea. This is from Ali. She called in on our Monica Lewinsky episode and she was about to have a birthday, but her father had died when she was very young and kind of like around her birth Yes, I remember it, yeah, reminded her. So Ali says, Hi, Chelsea, it's been a couple months since I came on to chat with you both and Monica about grieving my dad while celebrating my thirtieth birthday. I took your advice of focusing on celebrating him his thirty eight years on this earth and really finding that distinction between grief and suffering. I'm a recovering Irish Catholic from Boston, so I love an Irish week style of celebrating someone who's past. My friends and I toasted him and welcomed his energy into the birthday weekend, and they reminded me that celebrating me inherently includes celebrating him, because he brought me here. Thank you for giving us of quote unquote permission to approach it that way. The weekend was joyous and felt revolutionary. I absolutely turned over a new leaf, and I'm ever grateful to you for your help in that. I cannot believe I forgot to tell you this, Chelsea, but my dad's favorite activity in the world was skiing, particularly in Whistler. When he's not hanging around us in day to day life, that's definitely where he is. Maybe I know, maybe next year I'll spend my birthday there. I know many folks right into the show about grief, so I wanted to also share an incredible nonprofit and Power. They provide one on one mentorship to children and young adults navigating the loss of their mothers or fathers. Grief is so many things, and our mission is to show children and youth that loss is survivable. If anyone listening wants to share with a grieving child or youth they love or has experienced parent loss at any age and wants to become a mentor, they can head to we are empower dot org. Thanks again for your advice and for what you do each week.
Speaker 2: Ali, that is so sad, that's so great. That part is great. That makes me cry thinking about children grieving. They're my parents. I can't even.
Speaker 1: Watch an old season of Master Chef Junior, and one of the kids had lost his dad, and it was kind of amazing to see how he was dealing with it. You could tell he had processed it a lot because when he talked about it, there was just sort of like he seemed okay, you know, he seemed like he'd done the work. And even though he was like an eleven or twelve year old. You know, having a kid go through therapy and talk about this stuff can be really helpful when they lose somebody else.
Speaker 2: And also to know how resilient the you know, human spirit is like, you don't know how resilient people are until you have to be resilient, right, So that's it's so hard to teach that to someone like you're going to survive almost anything that happens emotionally or you know, or any losses, like you're going to go on. It's a hard concept, especially when you're a child. Your world is even smaller right than it is as an adult. You don't even think about all the moving parts that are happening totally.
Speaker 1: So thank you Ali for updating us. And I'll make sure that this empower is in the show notes, so if anybody wants to check that out, there will be a link there.
Speaker 2: So I missed Doug. I miss Doug so hard. It's just at home.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to bring him to Spain because he's gonna be so fucking hot here, but now it's not that hot, and now I'm like, fuck, I can he take a flat without me? Just get his own private chat? I diaged that once with a dog. I s flew him privately without me. Oh no, which was really stupid. I don't do things like that anymore.
Speaker 1: Doug will be amazing and you'll just have to reconnect with him and separate him from Mabel.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know she went to a FaceTime with me.
Speaker 1: Yes, here's your mother.
Speaker 2: She's like, oh, sorry, we fell asleep. I'm like, I bet you did. I also believe she gives him CBD because he's so oh, he's so calm when I come back from being away. Yeah, and I know she's up to something, you know, because she doesn't want to deal with his lunacy. And I saw the CBD and I was like, who is that for? And she's like, oh, if we're doug sometimes I'll make sometimes or all the time like are you she's All of my dogs have been drugged. And this is just another example of how it happens.
Speaker 1: You know what my aunt used to do with my nephew who's like very hyper, when she would take care of him, instead of like, you know, giving him a CBD or something, she would say, hey, let's have a cup of tea together at the beginning of their time together, and she would give him sleepy time tea and then he was like totally manageable.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean sleepy time tea and like an eleven year old boy, it's a matchmain heat.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Melatonin is good for kids too. My friends are always slipping their kids melatonin. I mean only the good parents, though I would make them snort melatonin if I had children.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Okay, well, should we get into questions jelse?
Speaker 2: Yes, please, let's move it. Let's move it along, let's do it. Today's a solo episode. That means Catherine and I are here alone.
Speaker 1: Yes, full of our own resources only.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that means they could take more callers. Oh, by the way, tell our audience about the many episodes that we're doing. We're adding ten minute minisodes.
Speaker 1: They'll come out every other week, and it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be different. It's gonna be counseling from me with a group of people or a couple like friends, sisters, people in a relationship. I'm going to counsel them and we're gonna break them into little ten minute episodes. So that's gonna be great. I can't fucking wait. It's gonna be So we're not gonna I mean, I want people to bring really stupid problems to me. So if you're in a relationship and it's not a serious issue, if it's your friend, or if it's your with your mother or your sister or your lover, and you want you have something really stupid that you want to bring. Please, this is our reprieve from the seriousness of the show. We want to get I want to get silly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these minisos are going to be perfect for like if you have that argument with your spouse or with your best friend that you like just need a tiebreaker on, like who is right here? Chelsea is the person who.
Speaker 2: Can to help? Yeah, I love that shit, guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so right in and I actually have on our next couple solo episodes. I have two couples calling in.
Speaker 2: Oh I love finally fly. Oh my god, this is exactly what I've been wanting. I've manifested it exactly.
Speaker 1: You know, what happens a lot of the time is a person will be like, I'm going to get my husband to come on and talk about this with me, and the person who wants to call into a podcast inevitably marries the type of person who would never do such a thing. So then they come back to me and they're like, just kidding, forget ever emailed you, forget my name, But today we have one and it's very, very exciting. Actually, should we take a little break.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a break first.
Speaker 1: This week, we're looking for a relationship advice. If you're having a problem in your relationship, want to know how to do better, or need Chelsea to weigh in on whether you're right about something. Right into Dear Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com. Okay, we're back. We're back with Savannah. Savannah says Dear Chelsea. I'm a thirty one year old woman living in the Midwest, and I've had the craziest three hundred and sixty five days of my life. I went into rehab in July of twenty twenty three, and I'm just over a month out of rehab, intensive inpatient, and then out patient in that order. I'm just about to get my first year of sobriety. I'm reacclimating to the world, and I'm figuring out where my story fits in my day.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: I'm currently on the job hunt and I'm having anxiety over how to address the year ish gap in my resume. I work in marketing and have grown to love it, mostly excluding the fifteen percent of the job that is crazy stressful but chock full of adrenaline. I know I'm good at my job and it's pretty much all I know professionally, so switching careers is out of the question. So as I begin to coordinate interviews, I'm wondering what the fuck to say in my interviews about the gap in my resume aka rehab. I've played with the idea of semi fibbing and saying I was taken care of a loved one to just being straight up honest about going to rehab. I know I can hide behind hippa, and I'm conflicted about what to say during the interview process. Am I going to be met with a negative bias and be dismissed because rehab could be a misinterpretation of my character or my worth ethic? Or should I just be honest and leave it up to fate and hope that my interviewers will be understanding. I want to be honest and I don't mind talking about it, but I also want a job, Savannah.
Speaker 2: Can't you just say you were traveling for a year, that you took a year sabbatical. There's no reason to tell them rehaby because people are fucking stupid. I would hire somebody because they went to rehab. I'd be like, oh great, completely, so I can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's no reason to give them any reason to doubt you in the interview process. And like, like Chelsea said, a lot of people just like can't get it together, and.
Speaker 2: Taking care of a loved one is a good one because that obviously makes you look good.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and you can even specifically say you can say I was caring for someone who was ill, that someone was you. Let's straight up the truth. And also, you know, I don't think a gap on a resume matters quite as much as it used to.
Speaker 2: Does it not as resume world? So I don't really know what is going on out there in the business world because I'm not a business woman. You are, you know, you're a I'm a different kind of businesswoman.
Speaker 1: You have IMDb in that arrest.
Speaker 2: I like the word two to four hours a week and that is it.
Speaker 1: And we make it work. So I think they or less than they used to, especially like pre pandemic and stuff. But another good trick for this too is rather than saying like I worked here from like January twenty twenty one to like June twenty twenty three, just use years I was here from twenty twenty one to twenty twenty three. We're barely into twenty twenty four, so then you only have a you know, few months gap on your resume. And I think if they do, if they do ask good advice, Yeah, you just say you took some personal time, or you say I was caring for someone who was ill, and I think you leave it at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think. I think if you say caring for someone who was ill, you're not going to get one and more question about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they're really not supposed to be like so how's your mom doing with that? You know, whatever? Does theseanse?
Speaker 2: Well, obviously, if you were caring for someone that was ill for that period of time, they're probably dead, So there's a dead end er conversation, exactly. Perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then if you just change the subject right after that, I think approach it with confidence and boys and like move on after that, I think you'll be just fine. And also like congratulations and good work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love rehabit. We love when it sticks. Right mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It works if you work it works if you work it. I do not work it. I've been smoking a ton of marijuana lately, actually smoking he or have you been doing I've been smoking it because my doctor gave me these pills for my throat, so it doesn't bother me anymore. I know I'm on a bender right now with marijuana. I just need it, Like I'm like, oh, where's a joint? Okay, let's well, because of my kids, you know, I'm around the kids, so I can't be soberdoing.
Speaker 1: That right right. Well, our next question comes from Emma. It's kind of a tricky one. She is thirty five. Emma says, your Chelsea, my fiance and I are getting married in September of this year. A couple of years ago, his mother had a stroke and started needing round the clock care, mostly provided by his eighty year old father, as we live three hours away. A few weeks after visiting to do our engagement photos, we received the most earth shattering call. My fiance's father had died by suicide and was found in the house. His mother immediately had to go into long term care. We're so filled with grief and stress, having just bought a house and planning a wedding, Driving back and forth to tackle things, it's so overwhelming. Life just truly feels irrevocably changed. I'm grateful to feel sure about marrying my fiancee, but our relationship has been rocked and the cracks are definitely there. We have so much to figure out, with the estate emptying, their packed house, selling everything, and now taking care of their very, very loud dog. I miss our lives, and while I'm trying my best to be a fully supportive partner, I feel myself failing daily. My fiance is doing the best he can, but I miss his level of engagement in our relationship and life. And while I know I need to give him grace. It's difficult day today. There are things I was already sad about during wedding planning as I lost my mom ten years ago. Overall, I feel like the focus is the horrible situation we're in rather than being a happy time, and my feelings are lost in all of it. I'm in therapy working through forgiveness and letting go of anger, but it's so hard not to feel like our wedding will forever be linked to this horrific time in our lives. Thanks Emma, Hi, Emma, Hi, Chelsey, how are you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Wow, that was very moving your story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, lots of stuff this year, a lot of things we're trying to kind of move through while also enjoying ourselves.
Speaker 1: Right, can you tell me where you are, like with your wedding planning with all the you know, emptying out the house now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we're pretty much everything is set. We're just kind of in those last few months of figuring out like little stuff. So everything is you know, moving ahead, is planned, and he unfortunately was going to be our efficient Bob's dad, so we ended up finding a new efficient and all of that. So we're in a good spot with all that, and honestly, Bob and I are in a really good spot too as a couple. It's just that it's very hard to not associate these two things, and especially our wedding will be near the end of September. This event will be, you know, just a few weeks after it, like the first your anniversary will be a few weeks after it, So it's kind of hard not to have those two things tied together.
Speaker 2: So are you and your fiance like communicating about how you're dealing with all of this stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we are.
Speaker 4: I'm definitely more communicative and a lot more open about how I'm feeling day to day.
Speaker 5: He I think to get through things.
Speaker 4: I think he shuts down a little bit and isn't not that he needs to like lean into the feelings of everything that's going on, but I think that sometimes it's easier, especially with going to work, he just kind of shuts it down a little bit. So I just worry about him a lot that you know that this is a really big thing, an event that's happened in both of our lives, but definitely in his life, So I just worry, like where that will bubble up, right, you know, in the future.
Speaker 2: Can you would he be open to talking to a therapist?
Speaker 4: So he does, he does see somebody, not I think like I think he wants to see somebody more in the future, but he does talk to somebody yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it sounds like what you guys really need to do in this moment. It's a period of time in your life that wasn't planned, so it's a little bit difficult and harry, but in this moment you need to double down on like talking and being communicative with each other, even when he doesn't want to be. You have to be like, listen, this is this We're going to go through this together. Like this, I'm having a really difficult time on certain days and certain days you're doing better. It sounds like, but we have to be helping each other get through this time because obviously this is trauma and you I am going to you know, insist that you are talking to somebody on a more regular basis. For him, he needs to talk to someone on a regular basis during this time because what you said, where where is it going to bubble up later? Like it is going to bubble up later, So you have to in the moment you're in, like really double down on both of your therapists and talking to each other about what's happening and taking each day at a time. Yes, this wasn't what you pla. But what is a way to differentiate your wedding day from the anniversary of his death?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why not make that a celebration of him? You know, why does it have to be the anniversary of his death. Why can't it be a celebration of his life? Why can't it be an extension of your wedding anniversary in some regard, like maybe you can tie those two events together in a positive way rather than looking at it in the way that you're looking at it because it just happened, so I understand, but you can adjust your framework on that and have a better way forward, and also sharing that with your fiance, Like I'm thinking about these things. This is how I think we can make peace with this. I mean, obviously it's very early on, but that's why talking is so important, because things get so built up. There's resentments. You don't know what people are dealing with on their own, you know for sure.
Speaker 4: And I think that's one of my biggest fears too, is that because I would say my emotions are a little bit louder than his is. Make like, again, even though this is something that you know, we're going through together and I'm going through, I don't want to take away the fact that this is something that he's going through with his parent and his other parent. We're kind of on a knife's edge too with her care and when we might lose her. It is kind of like that we're kind of just like on this edge through this whole next few months of oh is she gonna make it? You know, So it's hard not to be in that like constant kind of fear stress stat of, yeah, are we going to be going through another loss in the next few months that we're going to have to deal with, And you know, there's a lot of selfish feelings of like, oh, please don't.
Speaker 5: Let anything happen by then.
Speaker 4: But also we don't know if she's even going to be in a state where she can come, so you know, it's hard to reconcile out of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but those things are important to talk about. But you know what I mean, when you're you know for sure, all of that stuff is really important and it will bring you guys closer. And when I say you don't know what the other person is thinking, Like he could be resentful of his parents for pulling this shit at the most important moment in his time. He could be resentful of you for some some weird reason, Like that's why it's so important for him to talk, because you don't want that to fester. Whatever his reaction to their death is.
Speaker 4: Absolutely you know, we haven't really approach the topic of because I have anger towards his dad that like he doesn't. You know, I have so much empathy for that he was in this position and this was where he ultimately, you know, his path led him to so I you know, I loved this person, but I also still have a lot of anger about the situation, and he hasn't really gotten into that. Like he at least does not expressed that he has any anger that this happened.
Speaker 5: So that's hard.
Speaker 4: Like I think he's very very protective of his dad, and I understand that, but also it's like trying to make sure he knows that.
Speaker 5: There's space to be angry about it, and that's okay.
Speaker 2: Everything that is going to come up for him is going to come up for him over time with him actually having an outlet for his feelings. You can't direct his emotional you know what's happening, of course, but you can, but you can be there and be honest with each other about it, which is leveling up your relationship. Actually, it's going to bring you closer to get if you guys can get together on this and you having your frustrations are fine, That's okay, that's totally honest. Like what you just said and everything you know you are angry about it, that's okay too. We're all human beings. We're all experiencing feelings that we don't want to be feeling.
Speaker 1: And I think Chelsea, you are right, like really strongly suggesting, like verging on demanding that he be seeing somebody at least once a week, even if it's not twice a week, so that he does get to the point where he is processing things like anger, things like you know, resentments and getting them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's no like argument for not doubling down on therapy when your father committed suicide.
Speaker 4: Honestly, it's financial. Financial is the argument, which sucks that that has to be an argument. But like I think that especially like with the wedding, like that is part of it. Too, which, like I would argue, like, obviously the investment is totally one hundred percent worth it. It's just finding where that monetary balances with having a new home, doing the wedding all that.
Speaker 1: So and totally understand that. But that is where group therapy is going to come in. So Heed, you need to you find him a support group for I'm sure there's a specific one depending on the size of your city. Yes, no, for sure, and those are usually free or like somebody you bring donuts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, those are much more affordable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean doubling up having therapy when you can afford it and doing something that's a no cost thing as well, I think would be that the way to kind of get that and so we can start processing or continue processing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I think for the wedding, what I would suggest to is people who come to your wedding are going to know that this is a part of your experience, and I think one of the best things you can do is allow people a moment to experience that to really like hang a lantern on it. Either you know, your efficient can mention something about those who can't be here with us today. But I also think, especially since you lost your mom, one really nice thing that you can do is have a table where maybe it's everybody's wedding photos, maybe it's parents and grandparents wedding photos, maybe it's just a photo of each of them, but including everyone at least in some way in your ceremony. I think will will allow people like a place to put that sort of curiosity and grief for you, and also give you an outlet where, like you guys don't have to say it and be crying about it, but like heavy efficient mention it.
Speaker 4: I think it is something that we probably will incorporate, which will be nice.
Speaker 5: It'll be nice to have that.
Speaker 1: And then during the ceremony too, I've seen people will have like a chair reserves, like one for your mom and one for his dad too.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and I asked him about that and he was kind of I think it's funny, like he just doesn't. I think that that almost like made him sadder to think about doing something like that. So it's finding like, Okay, what feels like honoring and nice without necessarily making you more upset.
Speaker 5: But you're gonna be thinking about it, like obviously.
Speaker 1: On the day exactly and that's one of those things about grief is you know, we've talked about this so many times, it's like the more you push it away sort of like the larger it looms. And Chelsea, you've brought this up several times recently to where grief isn't something that you're constantly going through, right, but it is always sort of under the surface, and so it's like it comes up and bubbles up at the weirdest times. Then the thing is like, it's your wedding. People are gonna be crying anyway. You're gonna be crying anyway.
Speaker 2: You know, It's okay, yeah, exactly. And the good thing is once you let yourself cry, then you're good. You know, fighting crying is harder than the crying itself.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't look cute either when when.
Speaker 5: You're trying it almost worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, definitely.
Speaker 4: I think I just I think with like going through losing my mom, even though it was obviously in a very different way she was ill, she had cancer, I think like once we entered this phase of things that was like, oh, maybe I'll be like equipped to help somebody through their grief.
Speaker 1: No, not now, not now, Yes, and it's suicide just is a different experience.
Speaker 2: It is, it is, but it's also like listen, I know it's hard to say to celebrate that, to celebrate a life that ended in suicide, but I would still say, yes, celebrate the life. If they were in pain and they had to remove themselves from this earth, then they are in a better place and they didn't want to be here, and celebrate the life that they did have and the happiest moments that they know that you shared with them. And that's how you can frame it for yourself, because what's the point of any other framework when you're talking about suicide.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and we did have like a really great relationship with him, so like I'm very grateful for that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well I think you should talk to your husband more, you know, fiance, Sorry what you're saying to us, like be open with him like this. I'm sure you are, but really like get the communication flowing because it's really good to get it out and you want him to get it out too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I agree for sure, even if he's not as forthcoming as you are, like be there with him and be there just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's finding the balance too, between making sure he knows like where I'm at, but like not feeling like I don't want.
Speaker 5: To overwhelm him with write your grief emotion through it.
Speaker 4: And it's like if he's having a good day, you know, not wanting to necessarily feel like, oh he on top of his feelings have to like not that, like I worry about him having to deal with my feelings. We do have like a good partnership with that, but not wanting to necessarily like add my grief to his grief, even though they obviously are intertwined.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that. I would worry just about being honest and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes guys need a push, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they really do.
Speaker 1: So you know you're not going to demand, but like I would really tell him this is what I need from you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, that makes sense. Yeah, I think so too. Well. I appreciate it very much. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, we'll be thinking about you.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Shoot us an email after the wedding. Okay, I will.
Speaker 5: I will thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Bye, but bye. What a sweetie. Oh yeah, I'm jealous of people who can look just very beautiful when they're in tears, but she's one of them. One thing I wanted to say too, is for anybody who's caregiving. I used to work with Alzheimer's caregivers, family caregivers, and one thing that can happen a lot of times is you have the ill parent and then either you know, because of depression, suicide can happen with someone who's caregiving, whether that's a daughter, a son, a spouse, but also illnesses can happen because the caregiving person is under so much stress, they can like up and have a heart attack or whatever. Like sudden death is very common amongst caregivers.
Speaker 2: Sudden death.
Speaker 1: Sudden death. Yeah, I mean I know someone who was like, yeah, my fifty year old sister was the caregiver for mom while she dealt with dementia and just like died of a major heart attack one day, you know, And that's really really common.
Speaker 2: I just you said fifty year old woman. I'm like, oh, that's so much older, and then I realize I'm forty nine.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just turned thirty nine, and I'm like, it's it's just it just goes fast.
Speaker 2: It goes faster and faster the older you get yes, yes.
Speaker 1: But so if you are caregiving, get some respite care. There's lots of resources for this. But like take advantage when someone says how can I help? Say here's how, and give yourself some time off. Yeah, And of course, if you or someone you know is dealing with depression or suicide, please reach out. Help is available at nine to eight eight. That's the number for the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline nine eight eight. Let's talk to Tanya, shall we. Tanya has sort of a tricky interpersonal thing with a family friend. So I like the sound of that, yeah, she says, Dear Chelsea. About ten years ago, my best friend set me up with her brother. It was supposed to be just a hookup, but I ended up falling in love. We saw each other off and on for almost three years, and during that time I found out he was married. I was not only heartbroke friends brother.
Speaker 2: Yes, I found out was married.
Speaker 1: Yes, she did not know beforehand, but found out during that time. I was not only heartbroken from his deception and that my friend would deceive me, but and that she put me in that position. So I never said anything, but I stopped talking to them both for two years fast forward, and we've all moved on and reconnected as friends. He is now married to someone else and they have a child, but it's still uncomfortable for me when we see each other. There's a lot of sexual tension, and his sister my friend, mentions it and talks about how she doesn't like his new wife and so on. He tries to hug me or comes in for a kiss when no one is sorry, I think she means a kiss on the cheek. He tries to hug me or comes in for a kiss when no one is looking, and while it's nothing overtly sexual, he lingers a little longer than normal.
Speaker 2: Well, if he's kissing you, wait, why I don't.
Speaker 1: Like this must be a kiss on the cheek.
Speaker 2: So we'll clarify who comes and kisses someone on the chee?
Speaker 1: Right, that's like sort of an old school moved and yeah, I have no desire for a relationship.
Speaker 2: If he's doing that and loitering, when, of course that goes together lingering, wingering, Yeah, lingering. If he's kissing you on the cheek, he's definitely lingering.
Speaker 1: Also, like he's standing right outside.
Speaker 2: She's surprised by that, but not the first part.
Speaker 1: So she says, I have no desire for to have a relationship with him, but he still lights me up, so to speak. The sex was amazing, after all, So the complication comes now. Last December, I was with all of the women in their family on a trip, and one of them brought up my previous affair with their brother, but made it sound as if it was a one night stand. We were all drinking, and I started crying and defending myself, saying that I had a relationship with him and even loved him, even if maybe he didn't feel the same. I was just a little shocked that the sisters knew, and that all these years they thought it was a one night stand, when for me it was so much more. It felt embarrassing. Now I'm being told that I'm not allowed to come to any family events because one of the women and in law thinks I might tell his new wife, which I have no intention of doing. It feels so weird to me that they're inserting themselves into something that happened so long ago, and that without even trying to clarify with me. They made this decision. Months later, following a drunken conversation in Vegas. We're family friends, we travel together and we see each other around town. So I don't know how not to be a part of this family. How can I mend things without it blowing up in my face? Tanya, Hi, Tanya Hi? How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good?
Speaker 1: How are you good? It got some drama happening.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that happened in Vegas where you started crying, defending yourself and explaining to them that it was like an actual affair. Right, What happened after that? What length of time did you get uninvited?
Speaker 3: Or it was months later and nothing was ever really said, and then all of a sudden, it was like a thing out of the blue, which I was so surprised by because I thought, Okay, I thought we were close enough where if it was an issue, somebody would have said something right away or maybe the next day even or yeah, nothing was ever said and it was months later. So it just feels like to me, it feels like it's something else or I don't know, it just seems so odd.
Speaker 2: No, I could see it being about that. Yeah, yeah, because if you like finding out if they thought it was a one night stand and they're finding out that it was a long term affair while he was married.
Speaker 1: He's not married to her anymore.
Speaker 2: No, So yeah, I think you should just address it head on obviously and say, guys, listen, I understand that night in Vegas that I told you stuff, but like that was a long time time ago, and I have no intention of ever sharing anything like that with his current wife. The problem is is that you do still have this like sexual chemistry, and that's a problem for you because people can sense that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, totally, I think that. I mean, obviously, I try to stay away as much as possible and give respect the relationship, and I definitely don't want anything to do with that relationship negority Shire.
Speaker 2: But when you say he's coming and kissing you on the cheek.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, is it cheek kiss when he tries to sneak a kiss or is it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, but it's like and then there's like the hugs maybe a little bit too long, and you know, there's been a couple of situations where he'll ask, like to walk me to my car, like let me owe your car, and it's just like it's just not appropriate.
Speaker 1: He's trying to find me times to be alone with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and to me, it's like I don't necessarily think he's looking for an out or anything, but it's just like, you know how when you're married for long times. I've been married, and it's like, you know, it's like that secret thing is always kind of exciting and and I've been a secret before and it's like it's so.
Speaker 2: Disrespect but yeah, it is disrespectful to you. And you do need to like set a boundary so that he doesn't even think he can walk you through the car. You can't like allow him to be coming in and steal it. What do you mean by kissing you, like kissing you on the cheek? Yeah, yeah, gross? Gross? Though, why is he doing that? That's not okay? Like right, so, and he's a problem because they're worried. Now I see why, Like you're they're worried that you're gonna like like have another romance with him, right and ruin his marriage.
Speaker 3: But isn't the problem with him?
Speaker 2: Why is it me? It's not there's two people, you're no, it is your it's your responsibility to to set a boundary because then he has a parameter if you if you don't say anything, then he just thinks he can keep trying until you give in if you say stop, I'm not interested, please stop, Like be firm. You have to be firm with him. Unfortunately, as women, that's how we have to be with men like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like he's totally a fault too, but like, yeah, but you're not completely helpless.
Speaker 2: You have agency. You can stand up for yourself and say no, don't kiss me like that, it's gross. I find that gross. That'll stop him.
Speaker 1: I don't think he necessarily need to hug him at all, Like give him an off for high five. Next day he tries to come in for a hug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, but with regard to you're not seeing him at all right now, right, No.
Speaker 3: We don't talk. It's not even like there's any type of communication. And really it's like random once in a wild type thing. So it's not like he's making an effort to see me. I don't feel like.
Speaker 2: That's his goal at all. And how many like are you really you're upset about missing out on all these like family things.
Speaker 5: Not at all.
Speaker 3: No, I feel like it's putting my friend, my girlfriend in an odd position with her family. And then also we do have like where we normally a couple times a year we all hang out until like, so, now what she's just not supposed to.
Speaker 2: I think you can just send them an email and be like, guys, whoever this needs to be addressed to, can we please get over this? Like, I'm not telling his wife. I have no intention. I what's your situation right now? Are you married?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I'm single, but you're single, okay. I have no intention of pursuing anything with your brother. That would That was a very long time ago, and that was a very drunk night in Vegas. You know, what happens in Vegas is supposed to stay in Vegas, right.
Speaker 1: I almost just like with an asterisk, I almost wonder if it shouldn't be something that gets put into writing, just like in case the wife picks up a phone of someone or someone shows her. I almost wonder if it's like a phone like a series of phone calls, or like, hey, gals, can we all please get lunch? And you like address it. I'm a little scared about putting into writing.
Speaker 2: Do you feel comfortable calling them all and just saying can we get lunch?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I can. I feel like well I did initially reach out since this conversation. I did text my sitch to them all and just say, I feel like, maybe there's something you guys are upset about, or if I've done something, I would love to have an opportunity to make this right. And they didn't respond, so I was like, okay, but my girlfriend is the one who called me. She's like, yeah, it's about the whole thing with that half a long time ago, and they're afraid maybe you're gonna say something to the wife. And I'm like, that's ridiculous, and she's like I know. She's like I know you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: She's but that's like their thought or whatever, And how well do you know those women because those are her those are her relatives right right.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be I've done them for years. It's been a long time now, for a long long time.
Speaker 1: Maybe just have to let the dust settle and like when it comes time to see them again, maybe your best friend can be your biggest advocate and you know, kind of smooth things over with the other girls.
Speaker 2: The when did this happen?
Speaker 3: Maybe like six months ago now, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a while. I don't know either. I'm like, fuck, I don't know. This is a hard one. I would say, fucking who gives a shit? Like just don't out with them.
Speaker 3: But that's kind of where I'm leaning, Like, Okay, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like when you have that attitude, people kind of get in vibe with Like, if that's your vibe and you're not thirsty to try to get back into that scene, it usually comes to you more easily, you know what I mean, Like the invite will return. So I would just say I amend when I retract what I said earlier. Don't do anything. Just let the dust settle and be your cool self and and and know that you're gonna set a boundary with that guy the next time. He's not allowed to come up and kiss you on the cheek. That's molester behavior, right, kissing on the cheek, Get off of me. That sounds good.
Speaker 3: I like that better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I don't I wantn't want anyone kissing me that's not kissing me on the mouth.
Speaker 1: I have been thinking about that recently, and like cheek kisses cowing of the movies all the time, like stupid in real life, as if you would ever say goodbye to your boyfriend by kissing him on the cheek, like the time that I have done is right. I'm like, I feel so weird, like kissing him.
Speaker 2: On the cheek, and it's also a weird introduction to a person like, yeah, that used to be the thing you hug, Like now, why am I kissing stranger? Anyway? Anyway, good luck with your situation.
Speaker 1: Let us know if people come around.
Speaker 2: This is a tricky one. Yeah, let us know when they come around that that would be an interesting timeline for me to know about that. Yes, all right, we can help other callers with that.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Okay, bye, thanks time. Okay, so we're gonna take a break and come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perfect, and we're back. We have Jane and Johnny calling in. Oh we have a couple.
Speaker 2: Oh a couple. Oh hi, okay, great, let's go.
Speaker 1: Jane and Johnny have a question. This comes from Jane. She originally wrote in and Johnny is joining, so she says to you're Chelsea, I heard you wanted to have a couple on and my husband and I have two issues. First, I've just entered my fifties and I suddenly feel invisible within the family. I sometimes feel I'm being excluded. Even the dogs like my husband better than me. In particular, I have an eighteen year old stepdaughter who has lately been kind of an ass, and she's coming home from college soon. While I'm dreading it, my husband is very excited. Specifically, she recently introduced only my husband to her friends when we were at an event standing next to each other, and failed to even send a text as thanks for a gift. I spent months preparing to send her off to college with Despite my best efforts to be a loving, fun participant in my family, I'm starting to feel like no one really likes me or I'm majorly taking for granted. But is it them or is it me? Much love? Jane and Johnny?
Speaker 2: Hi, Hi, Hello, Hi, look at you two cuties. I love this.
Speaker 1: So when I talk to you last, Johnny, you were actually picking up your daughter from school, right, Yes, it was.
Speaker 2: How's that going?
Speaker 6: I think pretty well?
Speaker 7: And Jane, it's fine, you know, like on the surface, it's fine after about ten months. And I'm not a numbers person, so when I start recognizing patterns, there's like.
Speaker 6: A big one.
Speaker 7: I don't her.
Speaker 1: That's how I'm feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't feel good. What's her situation? With her birth mother.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have a good relationship. Correct And okay, what Johnny what they have some challenges. They have some challenges too. So what's your view of the situation, Johnny, what do you think is happening?
Speaker 6: Well, I feel like put it in the middle, and I'm very i think my daughter's doing very well and I'm very proud of her. But I know that, you know, she can be a shit. She didn't send a thank you note for the birthday gift, which was rude, and she didn't introduce her when we went to visit her at college to her friends, which was very awkward for me and I, you know, and I felt really bad.
Speaker 2: And did you step in and introduce your wife?
Speaker 6: When that happened, before I had a chance, Jane jumped in.
Speaker 7: She goes, hey, everyone, this is my dad, and then everyone said hey, what's up? And then everyone was kind of looking over me and I said I'm her stepmom. It was very awkward. And then later Johnny said, you know, that was kind of weird. Why wouldn't you And she's like, I don't know, like whatever, And it's sort of how it read to me was that it was more of a reactive statement about how she feels rather than a mismanners moment that didn't come to the surface.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like to me, Johnny, that you need to have a conversation with your daughter just about general courteousness and respect, Like this is your wife, and I know you might be dealing with a difficult personality, but these are skills that she's going to need for the rest of her life. So you're a conversation with her is going to yield more benefits than it will initially, I'm sure, But down the road she will remember a meaningful conversation about treating people with respect. Never mind her stepmother who's in the house, you know, with you every day, and it is your job to have that conversation with her.
Speaker 6: I did have a conversation about that particular incident, and how did that go? It went well, she felt really bad, she remembered it, and then I said, well, can you let Jane know? And she's like, yes, I'm definitely going to.
Speaker 1: But and then did she address it with you?
Speaker 6: I'm assuming not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, that's good that you did that. Thank you for being a stand up, responsible man. Father.
Speaker 6: Yes, Well, I don't want my daughter to be a jerk.
Speaker 2: No, of course not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, And Jane, I think there is a little bit of a deeper issue, so obviously lingering resentment, since like I know, the gift was like at the beginning when she went to school, and she's just back from school and you're still feeling kind of nasty about it. So I wonder if there's a way to kind of get some positive vibes going there, just to be like, I'm going to be a bigger person. I'm going to invite her on a little date, will go out well, you know whatever is sort of like a really fun special thing the two of you can do together. And I think during that time, if you want to address it, after you've sort of establish some good reports, is that a.
Speaker 2: Reality of you guys doing something together, Jane, you and your stepdaughter, Oh okay, and that's great.
Speaker 7: And I agree that I have to rise up for this and not be like and your little dog too, you know what I'm I can't go down.
Speaker 1: But I don't think that means ignore it. You know. I think, you know, since you're still feeling yucky, I think you probably should address it, but not like Hi, you're back from school. Let's deal with this yucky thing. Get some good stuff going, get some good juices flowing there.
Speaker 2: And I also think maybe just let go of the thank you for the gift for this round. I think it's more important that she's introducing you to people than writing you a thank you note.
Speaker 7: Wait, wait, I need to clarify though, what that was. It wasn't a birthday present. It was I got her a tackle box for going to college and filled every slot with special things for being in her dorm for the first semester in a really really well crafted, thoughtful, meaningful note and all their gifts in there. That like, she read the note and she uses the stuff in it and never acknowledged this very thoughtful gift that after giving to her, Like I know, she's on her phone twenty hours a day, not even a gift.
Speaker 2: Emoji with you. You have to let go of that.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: She is eighteen years old and she is in college and she is not thinking about writing thank you cards to her stepmother. Okay, she is about to embark on like the greatest adventure of her life and she is So you have to let go of that. Girls between fifteen and like twenty fuck their manners like they don't have them. You know, they're all self consumed and self absorbed in everything that's happening to them. So let go of the thank you note. Please just let go of it. You don't have to revisit that that would be annoying for you to bring up. At some point. I promise you, she will acknowledge that you sent that to her at some point. So asking for a thank you is not a good way to deal with an eighteen year old, I don't think. But I do think if you have the opportunity to spend time with her, spend as much time with you her as she'll allow you to spend with her. You know, like, do it as much as you can. Because you can't tell somebody that you're valuable. They have to understand your value. And you know what I mean. And I think for you, Johnny, you can even be more demonstrative of your appreciation and adoration of your wife in front of your daughter so that she understands how important she is to you.
Speaker 6: That is a very good point. I realize I have not been doing that enough.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: I love that. Like, if you get to the point of being affectionate and your kids are like ew, that's when you know when you're doing okay, you're doing it perfect.
Speaker 2: You want to make sure she knows how much you like your wife, never mind love, but like and respect and how much you like and respect each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't try and have sex or anything in front of her. That's not what we're talking about. Guys. All right, Johnny, I can tell by your background what you're thinking about right now. That took a turn. Well, this was fucking awesome, you guys. I love the couple. Y, this was great. Thank you Johnny for doing so open minded and coming on the podcast in the first place. Good for you. You're a real man. Way to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you two are really cute, So thanks for joining us.
Speaker 6: Bye, bye bye.
Speaker 1: Good luck.
Speaker 2: That was fun. Yeah, great, great, Caul. I love that couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's bring it on.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that was a great episode. I love the way that ended. And if you if you're a couple out there, do not forget to convince your husband to come on. See how gentle I was with him.
Speaker 1: She were so nice.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's easy, it's pleasant and it's fun. Or if you're having problems with your friends. I like that too.
Speaker 1: Yes, friendship ones actually friendships, friendship couple soon too. Sisters is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sisters is good.
Speaker 1: This is just really good.
Speaker 2: All right. Everybody get your tickets at Chelsea Handler dot com if you're coming to see me on the road, and other than that, I'll see you next week. Okay. So upcoming shows that I have you guys, Auckland, New Zealand, Wellington, New Zealand, Melbourne, Australia, Brisbane and Australia, Sydney, Australia. We've added second shows to places that have sold out the first and then I'm going to be in Hawaii on Maui, Kahului and Honolulu. I will be there in July. Also in July, I'm coming to Niagara Falls on July twenty seventh. I'm coming to Hollywood, Florida for my only show in Florida on July twenty eighth. I'll be in Auburn, Washington on August first, and then Santa Rosa, California for my second show August second. August seventeenth is the Santa Barbara Bull You do not want to miss that. And then I will be all over Maine, Charlotte, North Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina. I'm coming to Texas. I'm coming to Saint Louis and Kansas City. I'm coming to Brooklyn, New York at the King's Theater on November eighth, and I have tickets on sale throughout the end of the year in December, so if you're in a city like Philadelphia or Bethlehem or Santa Diego or New Orleans or Omaha, check Chelseahandler dot com for tickets.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you'd like advice from Chelsea, shoot us an email at Dear Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com and be sure to include your phone number. Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brad Dickert executive producer Catherine Law and be sure to check out our merch at Chelseahandler dot com