Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on. These are our stories. Done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up. An SVU podcast is back with another episode.
Speaker 3: I am Lisa Traeger.
Speaker 1: And I am Kara Klank And on this podcast we talk about an episode of SVU. We talk about the true crime it was based on or the real stories based on, and then we talked to a guests and we have a good one today. But first, huge news to our little podcast family.
Speaker 3: We have a granddaughter. I mean, no, I don't know what we'll call her.
Speaker 1: Our intrepid producer Casey has welcomed a little daughter and we're.
Speaker 3: So excited for him.
Speaker 1: Her name is Patients and it's like a perfect name because he has so much patience with us and uh, I love it and we're really excited for him. So he's going to be on a little bit of a paternity leave for a few weeks and then he'll be back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No flagwaven no flag. Yeah, no flags for a couple of weeks. But we'll try to keep it we'll still try to keep it tied up top.
Speaker 2: It's so exciting. I have to go buy baby things. I know, I know, is there a kid podcast set? Well, you are headed.
Speaker 1: You are headed to a airport tomorrow, and I know you always find things at airports.
Speaker 3: You're like, what, baby do we know we need to get them this at airport shops.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited to see what you know, Saint Louis Merch patients will be wearing in a few weeks.
Speaker 2: I know it's way hold. I'm going to look. I'm gonna look this up. I bet it exists. Do you think a podcast toy for kids exists?
Speaker 1: Ooh, like baby's first podcasting equipment that's really funny, like a little mic and a little zoom recorder.
Speaker 2: Let's see, I wrote kid podcast toy and it's not happening. I'm getting Ghostbuster plasma toys. Well, we'll look into it later. I did buy one friend's kid a jellycat stuffed microphone with like a little face on it, and it was really fucking cute every time she held it.
Speaker 3: That is super cute.
Speaker 2: And then this month, last minute, who knows, but I am going to be in Phoenix for Valentine's Day hosting a male strip show, and then the next day I'm doing like an after Valentine's Day show, So the fourteenth naked men and me, the fifteenth me and something. I don't know, it'll be something different, but I'm not sure what it is yet. Yeah, hopefully by the time I land in Phoenix, I'll know. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: For all the details on that, you guys can go to Thats messed Up live dot com and that has a link to what Liza's website and that we'll have all the info on there because it really goes your link tream.
Speaker 2: And I'll be in Boston February twenty third, and I'm excited at Crystal Ballroom.
Speaker 1: It's where Karen and I were a few times ago. Yeah, it's where we were like about one year ago. We did two great shows at that venue. I'm excited for you. That's gonna be so fun. Well, you were in Boston during the holidays. Did we even talk about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think we did right because I said I stayed at my friends and it was so great. Yeah, Boston is awesome, and we we love a lot of you gals that are there.
Speaker 2: So I had this amazing idea because lobster rolls never satisfy me in the way that I want them to, Like, it's just too much. It's just never enough meat. So then I had an idea, what if the lobsterol was like just the tail in a hot dog bun, so it would be like a lobster tail hot dog. So then it would actually be meaty and some buttery bread. So I messaged, you know, a chef with a seafood restaurant, and he said that would be tough to eat and seventy five dollars.
Speaker 1: So honestly a perfect Lisa invention if you ask me. Now, you got to get a brand that says bad with money, brand that on the side of the bun, and that's like a perfect you call it the Lisa Dog.
Speaker 2: I just there's just something about a lobsterol that's never fully satisfying for me, even though I love lobster and I love bread and I love butter, like I love all the ingredients, and it's never like I've just never beenen to a lobsterol and goes, this is the best one I've ever had, Like I could tell you my top few burgers, like my favorite nachos.
Speaker 3: I could tell you where.
Speaker 2: I would love to get a turkey club, you know, like all these things, I can't tell you where.
Speaker 3: Like my favorite lobsterol is.
Speaker 1: There is a place called Son of a Gun that's like a delicious seafood restaurant on like Third Street, kind of near below who or whatever, And they have a lobsterole.
Speaker 3: It is this big, it's three inches long. But it is good. But maybe there's something about it being small.
Speaker 1: I don't have big expectations because it's not gonna like fill me up or anything.
Speaker 2: Honey, They're always small in this economy.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm trying to invent the bigger, the bigger meteor lof sterrel.
Speaker 2: They're always tiny. They're always thirty four dollars. I never you know where it's great. Mermaid In for their Happy Hour menu has a mini lobsterole, So that feels good because you're paying a mini.
Speaker 3: Price, yes, mini for mini baby, so then that's okay.
Speaker 2: But we had no I mean, this isn't a food podcast, but we had an incredible barrata. I would say last week, Oh yeah, the blood orange and honey comb. Delicious, lash really liked it. Yeah, Barada's still holding out there.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Like there was a time where like Buffalo Mozzarella was on every menu, and then Buffalo Montrello got kicked the fuck out. It became Barata, and I thought, oh, Barrata's not got that much longer before it becomes something else. But Barata's got a stranglehold on I would say the appetizer section of a lot of menus.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest. I had never had Barata until like five years ago. I didn't even know it was a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think that's like exactly you're describing. Well, yeah, that's like exactly what. But do you remember before that, it'd be like you'd get like a big ball of like imported like Buffalo mozzarella, like delicious, like from Italy and be like, ooh, this is the big sporage appetizer. And then Barata moved in and now that's it. It's a little easier to spread on a piece of bread.
Speaker 2: I would always get a capreisee. Yeah, mozzarella is in the game. I don't know if that's yeah, the same thing or not.
Speaker 3: Well, now there's Barata capraises everywhere, you know, Yeah, Barrota is in Brussels, sprouts is held out. I do love food trends.
Speaker 2: I can't I can't tell you what's popular right now though I don't know what food trend is in.
Speaker 3: I can't think of anything specific.
Speaker 2: I said passion fruit is in, but I don't see it as much as I thought I would.
Speaker 3: I fucking love passion fruit. I love it so much.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to pronounce this brand, but it's like Olinis. Olinos. Their passion fruit Greek yogurt is the best thing ever. Ooh, it's so good. If you see that, I mean, it's not cheap. It's like four dollars a little container. Gotta get some, but it is so smooth, so creamy, and the passion fruit is perfectly tart, and then the little seeds give like a little extra crunch.
Speaker 3: I really love it.
Speaker 2: We need Top Chef back, and I think we've proven that we could be guest hosts.
Speaker 1: I need judges, judges, judges, pat but get the pack up your knives and leave. We're the guest hosts.
Speaker 3: Now. Although she's gone all right, know, yeah she.
Speaker 2: Went to and I get it to focus on her own show. You know, Tastes of the Nation is very successful.
Speaker 3: Who's who's taking over for her? Do we know? We do?
Speaker 2: Her name is Kristin. She is a winner of Top Chef. Kristin Kish. What's amazing about her win? So Top Chef started doing this thing where they would do Last Chance Kitchen and if you got voted off, the people voted off would have their own competition. So the two of them and the last man's standing of the last Man's Kitchen throughout the season gets to go back into the game as the final four or five or something like that.
Speaker 3: Final Okay, and she.
Speaker 2: Did that, so she'd be every single eliminated person all season and then she she.
Speaker 3: Got to go back. And then when she went back, did she win or she she didn't win? She won, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: Wow, Her win is extra special because she's straight up head to head be every single person. But she didn't have to do all these challenges. She didn't do restaurant wars. But beating everyone head to head is pretty impressive. And everyone's desperation when they come right out, it's like, fuck, I gotta win, and she still want so Yeah, and I really love Melissa King Honestly, the two Asian lesbians are the best top chef alone, right, But Kristin is like a great choice, and everyone was happy and Padma was happy, you know, like everyone was really no one was people are gonna miss Padma, like, oh, you know, we don't want her to leave, But yeah, I think everyone's really happy. No one's mad about the situation at all. Comment in the comments if you're pissed.
Speaker 1: Wait, this is such a random turn. But I had to say before I forget. Last week we did the episode Blood where the mom Jenny who was panhandling, and I did not mention that the actress is the mother from a Christmas Story, and I cannot believe I didn't mention that, and a couple people have pointed out to me and I have to do a correction in SAM, so I really apologize.
Speaker 3: I talked about Emily.
Speaker 1: Valentine from nine o two to zero at nauseum, and I completely missed Melinda Dillon, who literally is I think like an OSCAR nominated actress who was the mom in a Christmas Story which is a classic, and she did pass away last year, so we need to respect her memory. But that's just a little corrections corner for me right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still haven't seen that movie. I don't think, oh a Christmas story or maybe I was like blacked out on Christmas, but no I did. It was in the background of One Christmath. But like I maybe saw last year. Like it's weird.
Speaker 1: Like I watched that movie and was like, I feel weird watching it. Like it's just like the dad's really mean to the kids, and like there's this whole fantasy about buying a gun. You know, it's like, I mean, it's a bb gun, but you know, it's like then there's these really mean bullies. There's this whole Peter and the Wolf sequence where they play the music from Peter and the Wolf and these bullies are like stalking the kids. It's a weird movie, but it is like in all of our brains from childhood, I feel.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's like a jew who didn't know about it. It's like you know about the lamp, Yeah, you know about the bunny outfit, and you know about the tongue on the poll.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My friend Rachel has a small replica of the lamp in her guest room, so I see it every time I stay there.
Speaker 3: Dads really love that. Dads love that leg lamp.
Speaker 2: If you give a dad that leg lamp for the holidays, he's gonna lose it.
Speaker 1: You can get a little ornament of the leg lamp too if you can't. If you can't commit to having a full, actual working leg lamp, you can have it still represented.
Speaker 2: Is this gonna be our Halloween debacle? Where we talked about Halloween for three weeks after Halloween?
Speaker 1: It's like the end of January and we're like any other Christmas movies you're loving right now, Lisa way.
Speaker 3: In as not.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what I did start watching American Nightmare. Oh and if you're someone ignorant to not ignorant, like naive to the justice system and how victims of sexual assault are treated, this wasn't surprising.
Speaker 3: I can't and the rage I have.
Speaker 2: Even with all the research we do, I was shaking.
Speaker 3: I was so mad watching this.
Speaker 2: So the fact that there are people who aren't as like in the know and are seeing this. I can't imagine how shocked and angry people are, like if you are just learning it for the first time.
Speaker 3: Because awful. Yeah, and this this just came out on Netflix.
Speaker 2: It did I didn't even watch the third episode because I was in such a rage. I'm like, I really need to put something calming on before bed. But it's about a kidnapping, like a really wild like the details of the case are very strange, so I understand the confusion, like being like, Wow, this is weird. But a woman was kidnapped, a guy was tied up, and then the cops were just convinced it was gone girl and they wouldn't believe it. They wouldn't investigate, they wouldn't look into evidence. And then the kidnapper got pissed because he wanted attention for it. He started sending evidence and the cops ignored it. They didn't, they refused, They refused to believe she wasn't lying, and then they decided to charge them for lying. Like they wouldn't look for her even when she came back she was a suspect. Everyone was blaming her. Why didn't you scream?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: The cops refuse to believe it, and then like this journalist is a big part of the documentary. He went up to one of the cops and was like, what's up with you? And he goes, come on, this isn't real. Have you seen Gone Girl? And that's it. They refused to look into it. That is so fucked.
Speaker 1: I literally just looked it up because I was like, when did this happen? It happened in twenty fifteen, and I was like, oh, I wonder if cases like Sherry Peppini influenced them, like the cops, because remember she actually did plan a hoax kidnapping of herself, but that was twenty sixteen. It was the year after this woman got kidnapped in the American Nightmare.
Speaker 2: No, cops don't need a reason to distrust women. But yeah, Gone Girl fucked with the psyche.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The victim was blonde, and what she went through was horrible.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna watch it.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine going through that trauma and then finally being able to get out and thinking like fuck yeah, and then the cops are like, you're lying, You're dumb, bitch, we don't trust you. And to her guy, they were in the same bed. He was like tied up as she was taken, and.
Speaker 3: They just they didn't care.
Speaker 2: The cop they did not care, and the FBI, the FBI was involved, and FBI didn't believe them either, but also refused to look at any of that, like, yeah, you're gonna watch everyone should watch it. I'm gonna stop talking about it. So there's actually something to watch, but American Nightmare. If you listen to our podcast, I think you will not enjoy, but be interested in watching American Nightmare on Netflix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, damn, damn, Daniel, that is fucked. I want to watch.
Speaker 1: It just popped up in my you know, front page of my Netflix and you had told me about it too, so it's on the list.
Speaker 2: The world is just too big, you know. I'm always like, why am I trying to get stoned all day every day? And then it's like so clear. It's so clear when you start discussing the world and the crush, like the I don't even know what it is, Like, it's just too much. Yeah, the injustice of the world is too much. But you know what could help you feel better buying some of our merch guys. It's a perfect segue. I wanted to let you guys know though, because a lot of you have been messaging us. The do you have children Detective t shirt has been restocked. Remember, and guess what, We've added a mug and a tote bag so we've got three do you have children detective items. They're perfect for your office, work table, mug or carrying your shit around.
Speaker 1: We've got good stuff. And then we also have our great sweatshirt. The purple one is getting dangerously low, so if you've been hadding your eye on the purple one, and when that one goes, it's gone.
Speaker 3: And a couple other little items. I love our new sweatshirt. I love it. It's so I'm caring it right now. Yeah, I'm happy.
Speaker 2: I'm holding it in my hand because at the moment, I'm wearing my cast s View sweatshirt.
Speaker 1: So that's that's actually what's happening. Oh my god, we're so ill. We just did an interview too. Like luckily this person couldn't have seen our outfits, so that's messed up. Live dot Com has a shop link and that takes you to all this stuff. This stuff will ship in like mid February, so you can order now, but it'll it'll ship in a couple of weeks after that, so go get it, guys.
Speaker 2: No, I was just gonna interrupt because like the way we would get dressed for these interviews when this podcast first started.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, blown out maker.
Speaker 2: We did full glam. It was like we put on outfit, full eyeliner. Truly, I don't. I did brush my teeth, but sometimes I don't like I roll out and roll onto these and I really can't believe how comfortable we've got it.
Speaker 3: Because it used to be like, ooh, this is a big star, this is a hottie.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I still feel like there's a certain person I need to put an eye liner on for. But I can't remember who the last person was that i'd put eyeliner on for.
Speaker 3: I can't either.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it was Kelly Giddish and that was two years ago. Oh my god, Kelly Giddish. I think I put a comb through my hair. I think I was really excited to see and she.
Speaker 1: Was in running clothes, I think lying on her bed. No, she was in the garage. Didn't she finish a workout?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or she was she was in workout clothes, yeah, yeah, ye yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what I you know what psycho thing I did with our friend. Yes, well, okay, we do need to start this episode. I do have two things to say. You know, I was playing Mario Kart with our friend's children and I don't think I realized how often I say fucking and fuck because I was called out.
Speaker 1: You really don't know until you are around children. And trust me, my son won't stop saying fucking bitch. And I don't know where he heard it, but uh, we were really trying to curb that.
Speaker 2: Our friend she was like, you said the fe I go, I know. I was just really excited. And then I did it again. She goes, you did it again. I go, I didn't even realize this time, because if you do it again, you can't play. You'll be put on pause for seventy minutes. I went, okay, okay, you got punished.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's so funny. That's so funny. Also, I just what this was funny to me?
Speaker 3: Maybe so. I was with our friend Jared Goldstein.
Speaker 2: He wanted to watch people on Keto talking about what they eat, like for some reason, he likes that.
Speaker 3: But it was so funny. We were laughing so hard.
Speaker 2: It's like someone on a carnivore diet, so they're only eating meat. So it's them at a restaurant going I'm gonna teach you how to order on the carnivore diet. But everywhere she goes, it's just playing hamburger patties, like there's no nuance.
Speaker 3: Just and she'll sell them the button.
Speaker 2: She goes, don't bring in the cheeseburger, do the ad patty button because it's half the costs and put them on the plane.
Speaker 3: And it's like everywhere.
Speaker 2: And then at I Hop she goes, I'm gonna teach you how to as a carnivor. At I Hop she goes, I'll have a side of bacon, two eggs, and hamburger patties. And it's like you taught us how to order bacon and eggs at I Hop, Like what is the internet?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Also have a banana. Yeah, your cholesterol is gonna go through the roof, sweetheart. And she brings extra salt.
Speaker 2: So then she ordered like twenty four chicken wings sauceless, and then has a bottle of salt that she pours on every single wing and eats it crazy. It was wild, but it was just like the uniqueness and that's what I feel the inn it. It was just amazing watching her go and this is how I order it in and out and it's like fourteen patties bunless and then One of her advice is, sometimes, I know people get really tired on this diet, So a way to incorporate other things is put two meats on your plate, so then you.
Speaker 3: Can have the different textures.
Speaker 1: People get really tired from filling their body with meat and nothing else.
Speaker 3: At another meat.
Speaker 1: I want also to be like, I haven't gone to the bathroom in two weeks.
Speaker 3: Let's go to ihop.
Speaker 2: Like listen, I've been a part of many non sustainable diets my whole life. I just I never dipped into one hundred percent meat, one hundred percent meat.
Speaker 3: Needy baby. Yeah, that's that's why.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The internet has some great stuff and some you know, as we all know, it runs the gamma.
Speaker 2: It's just like, then there's this one woman and I follow her sometimes I was like, oh, you're gonna like her because she buys dairy from the Amish community and drinks non pasteurized milk and she's against pasteurization. And all these doctors on YouTube have to be.
Speaker 3: Like, please don't do this, don't do this.
Speaker 2: And people will be like, you don't eat an f and she'll be like, I had a seven hundred calorie coffee because I pour cream in it. And I'm like, I don't know if that much. I don't know what's happening. I don't know what's happening. We had a great night eating sushi and watching TikTok shorts and then I was like, oh, I'll show you my favorite woman that sits in a car and eats lunch. And we were watching it, and he's like, this is what's sick. They're all alone, Like we're looking at our phones to find fun tips or ways to live or how to you know, help your relationship or be a better mom or whatever. You're on the internet looking at TikTok for Maybe it's just enjoyment, but then when you think about it, it's like these people are alone. Yeah, they're alone, setting up a camera with all these little trinkets, eating lunch in their car, talking to nobody. And I'm glad she's making money because and she gives me comfort, But like, what is happening?
Speaker 3: I don't know? That's wild.
Speaker 2: No, you need to answer my question, what is happening? I don't know why are we watching people? Like what is it? I'm part of it, but I don't like it, and and it makes me feel strange.
Speaker 1: What is satisfying to you about watching somebody eat lunch in their car alone.
Speaker 3: I like her shaking the salad. I don't know. I don't know because it also says.
Speaker 1: To me, how you sound like That's why people watch the Kardashians because.
Speaker 2: And it's also I feel claustrophobic watching her because she brings like a mini table, she'll bring blender things, she'll bring little ingredients and mixed stuff and canisters and it's just so much. I don't know what it is, but I want to get off the ride. And I was off the ride for a little bit. Yeah, it was impressive. It's just like you're talking to a woman. It's like, hey, if you're thinking about and then I'm like, who even are you?
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 3: Why am I listening to you?
Speaker 1: Well, because an algorithm told you that you were gonna like it, And I feel like the algorithm is creepily on the money most.
Speaker 3: Of the time.
Speaker 2: No, because I don't think the algorithm is trying to find things that you like. I think they're to me. They're trying to find things that are gonna rile me up. They want me to leave a comment. They want me to leave a comment.
Speaker 1: They know the difference between a scroller and a commenter for sure. Interest they know you engage and they give me what take and they give you what to engage with.
Speaker 3: Which is husband's not treating women tradwives.
Speaker 1: I've like never left a TikTok comment in my life, so they're like, oh, if you had looked at my old TikTok, like it would have just been animal videos. So they're about like, oh, here, this person just likes animal videos because that's like what I was showing rosy and little dances once in a while, but like it was never giving me anything angering because I was never commenting. Wow, they have profiles on all of us. I'm sure no right now, right now.
Speaker 2: My keyword that's riling me up is I get a lot of podcasts of people being like, you need to submit to your man, oh like tradwives stuff. Yeah, trad wives and the men that want them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then it's people being like, I want a man to lead, but you have to be the leader. I will not submit to not a leader, but once I feel safe, Oh my god. Okay, it's just the idea that stay at home moms feel like they're under attack and that like people are against their lifestyle when it's truly like, no one cares. I wrote that, and our girl goes, have you been living under a rock? And it's like, honestly, if anyone cares about stay at home mothers, it's me wanting you to have better rights, wanting your husband to give you money and the government to pay you for taking care of your kids.
Speaker 3: If anything, the feminists that.
Speaker 2: You're against want you to have more protections so you can leave if something is dangerous.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like, the people who are truly attacking you are the people that don't have parental leaves and maternity leaves and all this stuff. And they think it's like these single women with cats trying to make them go to work, and it's like, no, the economy makes people go to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're talking in nuance, and there's no place for that on the internet.
Speaker 3: Though, you know, maybe I needed to hear that. I need to write that down. There's no nuance on the internet. Yeah, no place for it. Thank you, Kara. That's why I look to you to help me to listen.
Speaker 1: We forgot to mention that in Casey's place, we have been reunited with our old producers. We're so excited to have them back, but they are spiritually waving a flag at us right now, and we have to go well.
Speaker 2: Not only waving the flags spiritually, they also were working with us when we.
Speaker 3: Were a little more hinged.
Speaker 2: Now it's off the I mean this pile of boxes.
Speaker 3: The interview guys saw it like. I didn't even hide those boxes from you. Yeah, you didn't even hide the boxes behind you, No, you did, you were turned. It was just the iced tea behind you. I remember once I noticed because I noticed so Annale's left and we were just like good little girls. And then yeah.
Speaker 1: Casey really let this place get get out of control. Casey's are really fatty now. But I have harassed both of you not wearing pants and standing up.
Speaker 3: So that's good. That's the good.
Speaker 1: You know in front, you're equal across all producers. They will all see your underwear at some point.
Speaker 2: I also want to give a friendship shout out to Kara before we start. Today is the thirtieth that you are listening, which means the moving trucks are in LA and putting my stuff away, and Kara has been an immense help.
Speaker 3: You haven't even said on the podcast What's Happening?
Speaker 2: No, oh yeah, I'm moving to New York. Today is the day, the thirtieth. The truck is here. I am going back to what if Kara say, my spiritual homeland.
Speaker 1: Her spiritual homeland, Manhattan, Manhattan. I am going to miss her, but I'm thrilled for her because I know she loves it there, and we're going to be a bi coastal pod and nothing will really change.
Speaker 2: This is so funny to do this announcement after twenty five minutes of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're like quick announcement at the end. Liza's moving. I mean it's we do live three blocks away from each other, so it is sad. You know that now you will be three thousand miles away from me, and you do have a best friend that lives out there. But next time we do a show in New York, we can sleep in Manhattan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well also my best friend, but also my family lives in New York, like my sister.
Speaker 2: I'll be back, But I wouldn't stay with your sister.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't, but I'll be back, I mean all the time, Like I'll be there probably more.
Speaker 3: But you would get drunk and sleep with me. Yes, I will, maybe I can't wait. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: You know, Kara cleaned out my garage that caused me anxiety for a while. You really cleaned it all out and under an hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you just got a focus and get in there. And you know, yeah, I forget that. You love adderall and maybe I need it.
Speaker 2: But adderall makes my heart beat too fast and I don't sleep and I don't like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that. I mean I'm prescribed it, so it's like it's it works for me. Oh yeah, no, my fellow salon receptionist gave it to me one day. That's like a doctor. Okay, let's get started. We've got a great episode for you guys.
Speaker 2: Just thanks to Kara for helping me get packed up on a move she doesn't want me to do.
Speaker 3: So that's a huge friendship. Most you're welcome. You know, I'll be.
Speaker 1: I'll help you move back out to LA when you get cast in something out here.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, i'll be. I'll be.
Speaker 1: I'll be in Rosie's bunk bed. Thank you very much. All right, Starting now today, we are doing heightened Emotions. It sounds like a pop song. From the eighties and it is season eighteen, episode four.
Speaker 3: This baby came out a.
Speaker 1: Two weeks before Donald Trump ruined our lives, and this episode starts with one of my most hated activities running. We open on a woman running on a treadmill while her little kid's like mommy, Mommy, mommy, and she is like tuned out, zoned in. She's in like a running trance. Her husband comes in and he's like, babe, you've been doing this for over an hour, and she's like, one more mile and then she ups the speed and I'm like, wow, I have never not related to somebody more cut to one of s fu's all time most stated characters, Kim Rowlins, friend of the pod Lindsay Pulsifer, and she is before the parole board pleading her case, saying she just needs to get out of jail to meet her one year old niece, Jesse, and she's wave a picture of her around and she's like, I trust in Jesus and the mercy of this parole board to give me a chance to be the manipulative criminal aunt that Jesse deserves. So we see Amanda in the background watching all this bullshit being spun and She's like, mmm, like, you know, doing her big sisterly duties. Then we caught to Live in Amanda in her office, and Live is just summarizing it for us. She's like, okay, so Kim made parole and wants to live with you, and Amanda's like, yeah, well, I mean she can't leave the state, so it's either my apartment or a shelter, and Live is like Live is ruthless. She's like, maybe this shelter would be better, and Amanda's like live, shelters are shady. People get assaulted and killed in shelters, and she goes plus Kim says she found Jesus, and Live goes, well, I hope she did, because if you cover for her again, I'll have your badge. And yeah, Olivia doesn't have any siblings, and she's like, I don't understand the loyalty, but if you fuck up again, you're fired.
Speaker 2: Well you can be nice, sir, you can go out for a lunch, But no, you cannot manipulate the legal system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't cover her crimes.
Speaker 2: You can't find you can't hide evidence in an ongoing investigation. You can't you can't go to arrest her at Bryant Park and then be like, on, actually, we got into a fight, so I decided to let her go.
Speaker 3: You can't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she actually just left it. I didn't chase her. Yeah, but I was very pregnant.
Speaker 2: She can't decide what's worse, like Amanda full on gambling and moonlighting as a gambling guy girl or.
Speaker 3: Fully covering for her sister. Like, I don't know which one is worse.
Speaker 1: I think covering her sister is worse in all ways, probably because it's untenable, like you never know what Kim's gonna do. Like the gambling is like your own personal problem. Plenty of cops are gamblers and addicts of all kinds of stripes.
Speaker 2: But remember when she's stole evidence, Remember she put on a hat and enter the evidence closet.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, wow, Amanda's really come a long way.
Speaker 3: Deserves some jail time too. Sorry no, but yeah, so it's like, yeah, you could see your sister, but stop getting manipulated. Let's you know, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: So this episode takes you to seventeen locations in the intro, so next scene, we're at an upscale hotel bar with a bunch of empty shot glasses lined up, someone's partying. The bartender's like six in a row, and we see our running babe, played by the actress Britt Morgan, who I know from like True Blood, and she's been in.
Speaker 3: Like a bunch of other stuff.
Speaker 1: She's out of the sneakers now she's in a hot, sparkly dress. She's wasted and ready for that seventh shot. And then she makes eye contact with a dude at the bar and starts dancing towards him. It's very very like, you know, sort of like drunk flirting. This actor is named Theo Stockman. He is a Broadway dude, and he's like, you might be the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen, but he looks to me, he looks villainous. And the next thing we see are bare feet stepping up onto the side of a building and her dress is torn.
Speaker 3: She looks like she might fall. It's the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: She gets down from the side of the roof and then walks to the other side of the building. She's narrating the whole thing like a sportscaster. Then she gets a running head start and jumps and you're like, oh no, no, don't do this, don't do this. She makes it to the next building. She just jumps to the next building, which is terrifying. Next thing we see is her sprinting on a cobblestone street maybe meatpacking has a little bit of cobblestone, and the cop pulls up to be like, girl, are you okay? And then she runs straight into another cop. And then when she runs into this cop physically, he's holding her and she starts hysterically laughing and saying I won over and over again, and the camera hits on the tear in her dress. There's bruising on her thighs, like nothing good happened to this woman. But what's going on? So now we're at the credits dun du da da da da duh. And now we are at raw this place. She's getting ready to leave for work. She can't find Kim or Jesse, but then they emerge from the bathroom where Kim's like, we were just checking out our reflection. She's like, don't worry, Amanda, you can leave me and Jesse and Amanda's like yeah, okay, Jan like I don't think so, and Kim explains, you know, mistakes happens. It's all about how you bounce back, and Amanda's like, save the fortune cookie philosophy. I heard enough of your bs at the parole hearing. So she like lays down the law for Kim. She's like, once grew up and it's shelter time, baby, Like you're not no drugs, no men, no manipulating, scheming whatever. And that's when Kim's like, we can wait for the setter, and Amanda's like, no way, no day. And Kim's like, Okay, I'm just gonna have to earn mama's trust. The Lord is my shepherd, blah blah blah. And then at the hospital Amanda meets live and gets the low down that this runner woman is named Jenna Miller. She's a housewife from Long Island. She was picked up jumping from roof to roof at three point thirty in the morning. She didn't disclose an assault, but she's got bite marks, bruising, anal bleeding, which you never like to see. And then the saane nurse called it in to be safe. So in the room with Jenna, she clearly does not want the cops involved. She's like, who called the cops? What's going on?
Speaker 3: She says? She doesn't really remember what happened.
Speaker 1: She came into the city for a drink, but she wasn't meeting anybody specific. And her husband is like right out outside of the room, making a scene like I want to see my wife, like the usual nonsense, and then the lives like, girl, if you want to spill any tea without your husband knowing?
Speaker 2: But what what would you rather have a husband going I need to say my wife or a husband that doesn't come to the hospital, who's calm, someone that arrives goes listen, I'll be over here. I got a I got a cosma. I was actually thinking of getting a tuna sandwich downstairs. And yeah, tell me, tell.
Speaker 3: Me what's up with my wife whenever when she's done with the cops. Yeah, yeah, yeah, let me know.
Speaker 2: Now you need you need an aggressive husband who needs to see you now yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's we've seen a lot of those on est Fio.
Speaker 1: You know, he's part of the canon of aggressive I need to see my wife.
Speaker 2: He's part of the cannon of you know that when they're out and about in public, he does this thing that I hate that I've talked about, where like you grab the back of a woman's shoulder, like not shoulder, but like, uh, upper arm, the back of the upper arm, and you kind of guide them with your grip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that hearing. That's the vibe I have. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, oof. Okay, wow, that's so specific. But they're like, girl, this is the time. If you want anything to be known without your husband knowing, let's cough it up.
Speaker 3: And she's like, I just want to go home.
Speaker 1: And then the husband's making noise and she's like, wait, that's my husband. He I just need to explain. He runs in. He's like, I've been worried, sick, You've been gone all night. And now at this moment, she's like, okay, I was raped, and she confesses and lives like, okay, we got to get the husband out of here. So she scoots him out and at that point he's fine to go. I don't know why. Now he's fine to go for a walk with O Lilvia pens. Oh it was a im out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's like, okay, you guys handle this. I'll be outside.
Speaker 1: He tells Olivia he was home that night watching their son, and he's like, well. Sometimes she goes into the city to unwind and she's under stressed. We have a five year old son. And they're like, how's the marriage and he's like, no problem. We fight like other people do, but we love each other. And they're like, well, what about like these city things, like what you didn't like? What did you think about that? And she he's like, well, I don't want to be a controlling husband. I don't really know what she gets up to. When she goes into the city. She just says, I'm going to the city and I let her live. So back to Rollin's talking to Jenna and she tells Rolins about how she met this guy Phil. She thinks at a hotel bar somewhere downtown. They got a room and he hurt her. She goes, I said no and he forced me. So now Rollins is walking and talking with Live and she's like, I don't know. It seems like she picked up a stranger and things got reughered than she wanted. And Olivia is like, yes, but girl, the baseline of our job is if she didn't want it, that's rape. And then I'm like Rollins is like, either way, I think there's more to this story than she's not saying.
Speaker 3: They found her at mercer and broom.
Speaker 1: So let's check out hotels around there, and let's work around her instead of with her, and she's not being forthcoming. Now we're at the Worcester Hotel Carisium Fenner talking to the bartender who was serving Jenna all those shots. He calls her Barbie, but he's like, I'm guessing that's not her real name. And she comes in a couple times a month and he's never seen her pay for a drink, and that last night, some rich douchebag paid for her drinks, and let's get the receipts, as Whitney would say. And now we're at the office of Michael Wheeler, the guy who picked her up. So it's not Phil, that's a that's a fake name for him. And he's got he's got really creepy vibes to me and he's like, oh, she's saying I raped her. Not surprised. She was the biggest pain in the ass hooker I ever met. And they're like, okay, I want to you tell us what happened. And he's like, she came on to me, I got a room, I laid out five hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: We go at it. Then she starts crying because I'm being too rough, like he's mocking her, like the way he's telling the story.
Speaker 2: I know it's like really bad, but I am so attracted to him.
Speaker 3: I know he is so fucking hot.
Speaker 1: But yeah, criminal, yeah, like, I'm sure they picked him because he can play creepy. I'm sure he's a lovely man that has like, you know, a small dog or something.
Speaker 2: And he says, no, oh, yeah, I found I found a photo of him with like like a chunky side bang with a little hat that h Taylor Swift wears in the I'm Feeling twenty two video.
Speaker 3: What are those called fedoras?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I would I would know what a is? So how Dario? Well, No, I I don't know what what's the tailic go? I don't know. You gotta look it up.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm offended that you don't think I know what a fedora is, but I don't know what this hat is called.
Speaker 1: I know you know what a fedora is, but to me, that's a fedora what she's wearing.
Speaker 3: No, it's a different kind of situation. Pork pie hat. Yes, yes, I think is that what it's called? Yes? Oh oh yes, that's exactly it.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: I just thought maybe you were forgetting the word for Dora. I know, you know what a.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: We've been haunted by too many Fedoras in our lives.
Speaker 1: But this guy has been in like American Idiot other shit. So I wonder if the Fedora and the chunky bang was part of like a part he was playing or something like that.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, Leah Michelle's ex boyfriend. Oh, I didn't know that I din at the World Premiere. He wore the hat at the World Premiere. Stop defending him with his hat.
Speaker 3: Wow. He broke it off because she can't read anyway.
Speaker 1: This guy is being a dick, and he's like, that's what I'm paying for, to be able to do whatever I fucking want. And she's like, did she forget to mention that I was paying? And Rollins and Benson now are at the house in Long Island. Jenna comes to the door kind of wild eyed, being like it's not a good time, and then they're like, well, we found Phil and he says you're a sex worker, So what's up, girl, And she explains that listen, a year ago, I went to a bar alone, a guy hit on me. They hooked up afterwards, he left two hundred dollars on the dresser and she was shocked, but then she was thrilled.
Speaker 3: She got hooked.
Speaker 1: No pun intended, but she does say that she got hooked, and she says she does it once in a while, like goes into the city and like you know, sees who she can pick up. And then but she was like this guy raped me.
Speaker 3: She says. She's like, I didn't take the money. I ran out of there.
Speaker 1: The husband comes to the door and then everybody shuts up about it, and then she tries to get him to scram and he's like, Bibe, we got to tell him the big secret. And it's like they're gonna find out. And it's like, what the hell is the secret? And the secret is done?
Speaker 3: Done.
Speaker 1: She's an Olympic level pole vaulter. Like it's the wildest twists. Like I nobody googled her. They were just like she's a housewife from Long Island, but she's this massive athlete.
Speaker 3: But also, Kara mention one pole vaulter's name.
Speaker 1: That's what I was saying too. I was like, it's not like she's a gymnast or an ice skater. Come on, like, we don't.
Speaker 2: Know even a sand volleyball, you know, or even track and field. If it's in the track and field realm of like pole vaulting, it's usually the runners, you know, like the sprinters, Like we can't you know, you know who Shakari Jackson is or whatever, like there's some people, but what I have known who Shakari Jackson was if she didn't have like fun, like a fun vibe and love wed I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, I don't know, but yeah, like it is really funny that they chose pole vaulting instead of another like sport.
Speaker 2: But you know, there was actually there was one high jumper during some sort of Olympics that I remember did get super famous because she was on Jay Leno. Yes, I watched this Tonight's show Get Over and Everybody. But maybe it was Letterman. I think it was Leno. But she loved Krispy Kremes. Those were like her cheat thing, and it was when Krispy Kremes were huge, and so they made her high jump over a bunch of boxes of Krispy Kremes and then afterwards she like ate one of the Krispy Kreams. But I still don't remember her name, but I remember the donut. So even with her success, I just remember I don't remember what she won, but I do remember she jumped over a box of boxes of Krispy Kremes.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's really funny. Well listen, I'm not no shade to pull vaulting. I'm sure it's extremely difficult. I mean, my roommate in college was a triple jumper. We were not thinking it's easy. Yeah, I didn't even know what triple jumping was, but it was just like, she can jump far, Like I don't know, people do all kinds of wild and field sports. But she's an Olympic level poll vulter. She's the world record holder. And she's like, this is tabloid news, and I'm like, I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: And she says she didn't.
Speaker 1: Make the Rio Olympics on a technicality, but she's the front runner for gold in Tokyo. So they go back into the house and there's tons of promotional material with Jenna on her holding her poll.
Speaker 3: It's like very Gatorade, very Nike.
Speaker 1: And again I did write in my notes, I don't know if any of us can name a mega famous pole vaulter. But that's the reality that we're in right now, and she's like, if this story gets out, I lose everything.
Speaker 3: So top of that too, we're at the precinct and.
Speaker 1: We're all watching the footage of Jenna's big fuck up where she got disqualified from the US team, Like I don't know something when she jumped over the pole vaulting bar or something lodged the bar, so she gets disqualified on a technicality. Her husband's there on the video. They look distraught, so they're explaining the whole situation to Barba. She's scared of her secret coming out and they can't make the case without the victim. But this Michael guy didn't skip a beat when the cop showed up. He's probably a frequent flyer with sex workers, like we got to go check out like other people that may have been his victims. So now it's Carreese and Rollins chatting and it's like, turns out this guy Wheeler, Michael Wheeler, is the bad guy. It turns out he's a millionaire. He spends thirty thousand dollars a month just on drinks, meals, and miscellaneous entertainment, which is code to your accountant for escorts and strip clubs. According to them, and Rollin's as usual as judging the victim and is like, why throw everything away?
Speaker 3: You've got a husband and a child. It's like, girl, greasy goes.
Speaker 1: We don't get the pressure of competing at that level, Like, come on, why throw everything away and be a gambling addict? You had an okay life, you know, like, and Amanda's like whatever, we all have pressure and just then little sis Kim shows up at.
Speaker 3: Work and you failed. That's the thing with Kim.
Speaker 2: It's like she has no patience for anybody because she has had it worse or whatever in her hat or she's had it hard too, but she's fucked up. Yeah, she wasn't chill with pressure. She succumbs to it. Yeah, what the fuck? I like hate her right now. I feel like this is part so like this is season eighteen. Yeah, she's been on for five seasons. She's still kind of heavy and some blaming victims. She doesn't do that as much in like the more recent seasons. But so anyway, Kim shows up at the precinct, which is always a no no, and she's like, I was just in the neighborhood and I wanted to stop by.
Speaker 3: I had my first meeting with.
Speaker 1: My PO, and she's like excitedly telling her and cares about all these big plans that she talked about with her PO, like going back to school, getting a job.
Speaker 3: Amanda interrupts her and is like, you.
Speaker 1: Can't just drop by the precinct like this, You got to go home, and then she leaves and Cariese's like, well, it does seem like she's trying, and Amanda's like, yeah, it's the calm before the storm. I can't have her blow out my life again. And then meanwhile, Finn found some sex workers who are familiar with the work of Michael Wheeler. So the first girl they talked to seems like a very high on sex worker. She's ad some sort of outdoor rooftop establishment and she's like, yeah, this guy calls himself Phil. My booker caught him off. He thought since he was paying, he could do whatever he wanted. He was really rough, hitting, slapping. The more you say no, the more he likes it. She says she didn't call the cops because there's no such thing as rape in her line of work, and Rollins is now talking to another woman with pink hair, who says this guy paid for straight sex, but then just did whatever he wanted. She said she was bleeding for days, which is a horrible, horrible detail, but you know, to communicate the violence that she experienced.
Speaker 3: Then she asked this guy.
Speaker 1: She basically extorted this guy for five thousand dollars and he paid up and she said, I'll testify though I hate that guy. So there are a dozen sex workers it turns out, who say Phil Aka Wheeler assaulted them in the middle of you know, the transaction, and not one of them called the cops or did a rape kit. And the only one willing to testify is Pink Hair, and she got paid off, so it's not looking good. This guy targets sex workers because he knows he can get away with it. So let's try to convince Jenna to do a controlled meet with them. This is Liv's idea. So he talked Jenna and she's like, I don't want this to go to trial. My husband will find out, and but I also know that this guy is a bully and he's hurt other women, and I want to do the right thing. So they're like, what about this controlled meeting and you wear a wire while you meet up with him and we'll see if we can get him to confess. And then she's like, okay, let's do it right now. So she's literally in the same outfit. It's the same day. It feels like they set it up. An hour later, at a hotel bar, Phil walks in to meet her and he's like, okay, how much give me a number, and he's like, you call the cops on me, So this is obviously a shakedown. Cariese, Rollins, and Vann are all in a van watching listening to this encounter. She's like, I don't want the money. I just want an apology for what you did to me. And then he's like, so if I apologize, that's it, and then she just starts going, just say it, just say what you did.
Speaker 3: Just say it.
Speaker 1: Like she kind of takes it, like, you know, escalates it very quickly. Suddenly the husband shows up at the bar. It's chaos. The cops move in. Michael Wheeler guy tells Jenna's how been your wife's a hooker. Then as the cops are busting in, Wheeler calls Jenna a crazy bitch, and the husband's like, you're the rapist, and Wheeler's like, you can't rape a whore, and that's when the husband punches him.
Speaker 3: It didn't matter that.
Speaker 1: He called her a hooker, calling her a whore, that took it to another level.
Speaker 3: Punches him in the face. It's peak s buchaos.
Speaker 1: Jenna tries to swing on the guy, but Rollins grabs her, and Jenna's like, cool, Google, my whole life just went up in flames, and she looks extremely stressed. Now Rollins has Jenna in some kind of hotel hallway, making sure that she feels safe going home with her husband because he's so mad, and Jenna's like, he's gonna leave me, but She's like, he would never hurt me, Like I feel safe going home with him. So if this goes to trial, this all goes public, Jenna realizes. So she's, you know, having a real stress attack about this, and Rollins tells her, you know, most mainstream media won't publish the victim's name, but there are no guarantees, and especially with high profile people, like names have gotten out for sure. So Jenna knows that he's gonna hurt other women. She wants to do the right thing, but she can't rest the publicity. She's got to talking over with her husband who's I'm just finding out his name is Chad and that Tokyo twenty twenty is Chad's dream as much as it is hers. And so now outside the couple is talking to the squad and Chad is like, it's not worth it for Jenna to testify. It can't change what happened, and Cariese's like, well, a crime was committed, so this isn't entirely up to you, and Chad's like, easy for you to say you're not married to her. You didn't dedicate your whole life to her, and it's like it's kind of on you, dude, Like all like all you do is coach your wife and if something goes wrong, that's that doesn't seem like a great recipe for a great marriage. But they walk off and Live in caris you're chatting and he's like, ooh, that was rough finding out your wife is a prostitute, and Live says every relationship has secrets, creasy, and he goes, that's why I'm happy I'm single, and I'm like, lol, you're like a married father of three. In ten minutes, bro, like, chill out, and then he's like he figures, now's a good time to pro Bolivia about her personal life, and he goes, everything cool with you and Tucker and Olivia kind of takes a deep breath, and that's exactly when Rollin's in.
Speaker 3: Finnroll up with a lead.
Speaker 1: They figured out a way to make a case without Jenna, so they checked Jenna's phone records and they realized that the night of the attack, she called her sports agent Derek Koller. He's one of the big reps, like he wraps all these mets, all these nicks, and they talked for seventeen minutes, which is definitely enough time to disclose a rape. So now we are at Jerry Maguire's office and he is like typical Ari Gold type wannabe, like looks very slick, and he's like playing dumb and he's like, yeah, Jenna called me. She was drunk. And then they're like, okay, dude, we're investigating a rape allegation. And he's like, okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, she did tell me she was raped, and he goes, I thought she was irrational and hysterical.
Speaker 3: I didn't think she meant it.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, but if she was, if she just came in matter of fact, he'd be like, she seemed too calm. I didn't think it was a rape. Yeah, exactly. Don't they all think it's like a crazy stranger an attacked from a bush. So if that's real, wouldn't she be yeah stressed? Like I don't understand that answer anyway, but okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So you know, Jenna's worried about losing endorsements and all this stuff, and he goes, she's right to be worried, like she will lose it. I mean, she's a gifted athlete, she's sweet, she's gorgeous. With the near miss with the Rio team, everybody's on her side. She's got the public sympathy, and now like she's like she's truly looking at standing to earn like millions and millions of dollars. And they're like, and you just want her ten percent, right, And he's like, no, of course, I'm outraged that she was attacked. But he also tries to see if they can postpone the trial till after Tokyo, and Finn's like, dude, this.
Speaker 3: Isn't jury duty. It doesn't work like that. You can't just like push it off for four years.
Speaker 1: Now we've got Jenna talking to Barba, and she's like, Derek agreed to testify, Like she can't believe that because like his whole thing is like.
Speaker 3: Protecting his investment.
Speaker 1: And she's like, and he's the one that told me to just go home and keep my mouth shut. So they're surprised, and then just at that moment, Jenna's phone buzzes, and what do you know, Jerry Maguire has dumbed her ass, and he's like, he basically says something along the line's left. I want you to get help, but you're per psonal life is incompatible with our firm's values. And it's like you can just imagine the number of rapists that this guy actually represents, you know, like, but.
Speaker 2: Well, but that's part of their image. They will represent athlete rapists. They just don't want rape victims. Do not see the difference, Yes, well, yes, exactly. But I think what he's talking about is her prostitution. Is what he's acting like is the problem.
Speaker 1: You know, sex is an issue because you know when it's like, I don't know anybody can spend this says like this is just a kink that she likes to hook up with strangers.
Speaker 3: She's not making a living doing this.
Speaker 2: But also the super Bowl is the number one event in the US the highest rate of human trafficking.
Speaker 3: And right like sex workers and shit like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, Oh whatever, So this guy's a fucking hypocrite. He's like, I'll help you, just kidding, get out of my life. Do you know that it is very well known that in the Middle East, like all of these super super rich billionaires and princes and just like you know, bad people that made up there, they hire sex workers.
Speaker 2: And then they shit in their mouths. What it's called the Blessers. Well, my South African friends said, the joke was like that they're the Blessers. But yeah, they're like really twisted billionaires and like really hot women from the US or wherever wherever.
Speaker 3: If they want, they can fly out.
Speaker 2: It's you do, get like sixty one hundred thousand dollars whatever and that, but you will have to fuck a dog or like get shit on or shit in someone's mind.
Speaker 3: God, that's like just about humiliation, right.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and it's like a repressed culture to begin with. But I don't know why you have to jump straight to that, but they're just evil people. So for entertainment or like, yeah, the control of it all. Yeah, because one hundred thousand dollars doesn't mean anything to them. It's just like a whole situation I knew nothing about until this past. Like here, I would say, wow, Sid mentioned it and uh when we were all hanging out, so yeah, oh my god, I don't I didn't hear that. You get flown out and you get shit in and then you leave with a suitcase of cash.
Speaker 3: Fuck.
Speaker 2: But it's like I don't get the shit part either, Like I don't get why you can't just have sex nor more. Yeah, sex worker, that's pretty but okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like play role playing, do all kinds of crazy sex stuff, a sex swing, let's do toys, but like, fucking yeah, I don't get that.
Speaker 2: But well, because my thing is is it even a kink, Like is it a kink for them where they're like, oh, we're rich enough that we can pay people to do this fucked up shit or they're not even kinked by it. They're just like ah, they're like Leonardo DiCaprio and Django.
Speaker 1: You know, yes, yes, yes, great to know. Thank you for telling me about the blessings. Uh So basically, this woman's life is unraveling in front of our eyes. Her career, her endorsements are over. She's like, now I'm a tabloid headline the pole vault hooker, which I'm sure that the New York Post or the New York Ledger that they call it in the show would come up with a more like piffy, disgusting headline than the pole vault hooker. But she's like, there's no coming back from something like this, and so does this woman is hitting rock bottom Live is like, yes, but you can get justice for your assault by testifying.
Speaker 3: Guest Wheeler.
Speaker 2: Wait, I looked up bless her and it's what I said. I'm like, really, it's a.
Speaker 3: Oh that's like a full term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's slang, but it's one who blesses or one who bestows obviously, But in South Africa the slang is a rich man who offers support, typically financial material, to a younger female companion in exchange for sex, friendship, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Do you know what's interesting that in French bless a which a spell blesser is to hurt is the verb is to hurt whoa Yeah? Interesting, twisted, twisted entomology. Baby, I do love Olivia because like honestly like Olivia making her do the controlled meeting and stuff or like or you know, offering having the idea of the control meeting. That is kind of what blew everything up. And now this woman's whole career is like fucked. And they're like, yes, but we need to get you on that witness stand. Like sometimes you just see Olivia like stopping at nothing to get people on the stand, and you're like, I mean, I bet she would have still liked to have gone to the Olympics. Athletes work their entire lives for these kind of things.
Speaker 3: Okay, listen, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: I keep googling about the blessers, but the scat, porn and suicide inside the lives of sleigh queens in Dubai.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I'm obviously know when I'm doing the rest of the night.
Speaker 2: Most celebrities are paid forty K to eat poop in Dubai. Nigerian girl caught allegedly eating shit for money in Dubai. That's why I'm not going to Dubai. And then it says Andrew Schultz Dubai, Oh my god, because you're talking about the same thing.
Speaker 3: I guess we have a lot in comment. Oh my god, Malawi Malawi sligh queens that end up eating shit of men in Dubai. I must be tamed. We have to stop.
Speaker 1: I don't think I can stomach this any longer.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a whole well if you don't understand it, there's an article why Instagram influencers are letting wealthy men poop so in their mouths Oh, ten habits, and then the next thing says, ten habits that will get you ahead of ninety nine percent.
Speaker 3: Of people, improve your life.
Speaker 1: They're basically giving you Google search results, Like if you're considering being a person that gets blessed, they're like, here's some other ways, all right, So she agrees to testify. She wants this guy to suffer like she's suffering. So now we're outside of the courthouse. It's a new day, and these reporters, these local New York reporters.
Speaker 3: Are making their money, honey.
Speaker 1: They're delivering these wild storylines like Wall Street financier Michael Wheeler goes on trial today accused of raping world class poll of alter Jenna Miller. And then they're like Miller was the future face of tm USA until the rape investigation uncovered her secret life of prostitution, like it would be wild headlines the whole of alter or No. Jenna shows up and the press starts to hound her, but they're like, she's not taking questions at the moment. And then this reporter goes, is it true you were paid for rough sex? Which seems like a wild question from a journalist in a rape case, like to ask a person like is that true that that's like what your specialty was?
Speaker 2: Like, that seems so crazy. They might be from page six. Yeah, they're from the post. They're from the Ledger.
Speaker 1: And Barbara is like, okay, actually I will answer that one. And he says an iconic put it on a T shirt line. He goes, paid or not paid? No means no consent can be revoked at any time, and it's like, yes, let's get coffee mugs for every teen boy so that they know. And Jenna's like, the press used to love me, hypocrites. So on the stand, Olivia is testifying to Jenna's condition when she got to the hospital, and then Wheeler's lawyer gets up there and he's trying to paint Jenna as a liar, saying that her injuries could have been consistent with a sex worker having rough sex, and Live is like, in my opinion, no, And this scumbag lawyer is like, but you're a police officer and not a doctor, right, And it's like, how fucking dare you. She's like, I've been an SVU detective for seventeen years and he goes, so you're qualified to investigate rape cases, not evaluate medical injuries, and Live has this look as the camera like backs away from her. That's like, well, fuck my drag, right, Like, she has that look on her face and it's very you know, funny. And then next up, Jenna's on the stand and she's like, I wasn't exactly soliciting sex. I was at a bar having a few drinks. The defendant started flirting with me. It felt good. I like when men notice me. I'm very used to being an athlete and it's nice to be noticed as a woman Like I like the attention. And she's like, but I never told him he had to pay. He assumed that was the deal, and I kind of went along with it. So when they got a room they started having sex. He started getting rough, hitting her. She said no, she said to stop, and that made him even more aggressive. He started to do other things, like she specifically told him she didn't want to have any anal intercourse, and he started laughing and did it anyway, And when he was done, he threw money at her. She didn't take it. She was her and bleeding and she ran out. So she goes, I'm ashamed about what I did, but I'm not ashamed that I was raped. I want everyone to hear my story so that this fuck can't hurt anyone anymore. So the camera pans to him, and he is, of course, like so smug and gross, but you know he is Lisa's crush, so I will give him some respect. Wheeler's lawyer now tries to spin it that this is an elaborate publicity stunt, and it's like, I'm sorry that It's like they do.
Speaker 3: This all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where they're like this rape allegation is for attention, Like what woman would want this to be their narrative and to be a way to get cred or anything.
Speaker 3: It's so insane.
Speaker 1: So this guy says, once Wheeler outed you as a sex worker, you made up the rape accusation, and she's like, yeah, I wouldn't want this kind of publicity. And they're like, he's like, well, everyone's talking about you, looking at your body. You said you like the attention. I mean, this lawyer is trash. He starts to really antagonize her about not making the team, how she'll be gasped thirty when Tokyo comes around and I didn't realize she was supposed to be twenty six right now. But he's like needling her about the Olympic committee rejecting her for her indiscretions. And then he's saying, your body's never going to look as good as it does right now, Barbara edjecs and Jenna's like, no, no, I want to answer my body's going to look great in four years, better because I work harder than you can even imagine. And the lawyer is like, yeah, but my client rejected you. He wasn't impressed and he said you were too muscular, too masculine. It's disgusting this like way he's spinning this. Jenna starts to fully unravel. She's like, he loved my body. Everyone loves my body. I am five nine, one hundred and twelve pounds. I can bench one fifty I squat two twenty five. She starts taking her shirt off to show everyone how snatch she is. That is a courtroom first here at SVU. I mean, we've seen people stand up with erections. We've seen people do a lot of things. You know, recently there was a case in real life where a guy dove over into the to the bench of the judge and that was wild. He just was back in court this week with like a full muzzle mask on, like they hannibal.
Speaker 3: Lectured him so he wouldn't do something again. Well, it's pretty.
Speaker 2: Funny because I obviously read the comments to rap me up. And people were like, but she shouldn't have spoken that rudely, like the mental gymnastic people do, like, yeah, did he not just prove he doesn't deserve bail? They're like, she should, She should have said it nicer. She didn't have to be so rude. She didn't have to do that. She could have explained it to him. She could have given him a shot like comment after a comment, and it's like you don't want him cage dutt. He leaped in the air, He defied physics.
Speaker 3: Gravity, He was Alpha ba. He flew in her face it was wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gets Hannibal Lecter just to make sure no one else wants to pull that fucking shit, and he's gonna get more jailt out.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 2: But this happened during Larry Nasser, the gymnastics rapist. People were saying that the female judge was too mean to him and was too rude and said too mean of stuff to him. It's so fucked She didn't have to be so rude. All he did was rape dozens of children who were in his care over the course of decades. Like, oh my god, Oh my god, who are you allowed to be mean too these fucking people? I mean, that's what that's You're glad to be a woman, Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's because she's a woman judge. They wouldn't have said that about a male judge being like sir. How many male judges readings have we heard where they're like, you are the scum of the earth, you are despicable. I'm locking you away in a cage so you can never come out again. No one's ever like he should have been nicer, you know, he probably should have smiled when he said it. So anyway, this is wild, though, This scene is crazy. This woman's taking off her shirt. She's like, look how hot I am. Barbara takes off his jacket immediately goes to cover her up. He's begging the judge for a recess and she's insisting my body is perfect. I'm perfect, I'm perfect. So it's there's some issues going on here. So now it's nighttime. We're at a track where Chad is training Jenna. He's just screaming orders at a rape victim in the aftermath of a traumatic day in court, which is totally normal and healthy.
Speaker 3: He's like, high your knees, faster, faster.
Speaker 1: I'm like, maybe you guys take like a day or two off training, Like it's he the husband's not a good guy here.
Speaker 3: No days off, Karen, no days off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, really, Rollin's and Caresy walk up and this is an unauthorized mission, Like they haven't told liv that they're going there to talk to Jenna, Like it's they're kind of off the grid here, and Chad's like, get out of here. We've had enough with the police and the DAS. And Jenna's like I'm fine, I'm out here. I'm energized. I could go all night and she is clearly manic, and Rollins is like, have you ever talked to a psychiatrist about your behavior?
Speaker 3: And the husband is like, get out of here.
Speaker 1: She needs to train and focus, and he starts laying it on thick to Jenna, like making it all about him, like do you know how hard it has been for me to deal with your behavior, your mood swings, your wild nights in the city. And then Jenna starts laughing maniacally and Chad is like, obviously, I know she has a mental health issue, but I know she can still win gold, and he calls it protecting her. But this man is exploiting and using her, just like probably a million people have already.
Speaker 3: Jenna realizes in this moment.
Speaker 1: She goes, oh, you guys all think I'm crazy, but like her eyes are bulging and she is wildly swinging from laughing to being upset, so something is not good. And Curtesy's like, no, you have a mental illness, and Rollins is like, you just need.
Speaker 3: To go talk to a doctor.
Speaker 1: Chad glares at them as if it's like the CoP's fault that she has an untreated mental illness that he's ignoring as well. So now we're back in court. We've got a lovely psychiatrist on the stand. I really like her tone. She seems very professional, and she's testifying that Jenna suffers from bipolar disorder, a medical condition caused by a neurochemical imbalance. It's a lifelong and curable illness that can be controlled with medication, and it you know, symptoms include moodswing's, mannic phases, depressed phases, and.
Speaker 3: That she's a professional athlete.
Speaker 1: Her culture is competition, victory, winning at all costs. So Barba says she might try to say, win an argument with a defense attorney and the doctor says, yeah, she was experiencing mania. She wouldn't take no for an answer. She might even take her shirt off to prove that her body is beautiful. You know, Barbara's trying to cover up what the jury has seen in the last day of testimony. And so now the defense attorney spins it that, Oh, but isn't it also possible that if she's that competitive and the and manic, that she would distort the truth in one of her manic phases to support winning at all costs. Couldn't somebody even invent a rape charge after feeling rejected, and she's like, it's possible, but it's not likely. It's more likely that, you know, people with this condition would justify a non consensual sex as consensual to make themselves better, more potent, and powerful. So it's more likely that she would have been the attacker in a situation I guess is what this woman is saying. And the judge, who is Amy Brabston, who is the late Great Andre Brower's wife, she allows for Jenna to testify fully medicated the next day because Barba, like the asshole's lawyer, tries to argue, we've already heard from her, and Barba's like, yeah, but now she's on medication and she's lucid, and like, let's get her back on and so in the next scene, Barba tells everybody that Wheeler's lawyer actually got nervous about hearing from Jenna again on the stand, and so he wants to plead out.
Speaker 3: They're going to go for assault.
Speaker 1: Too, which is no registry, but it is a defelony and he'll get two to five years in jail.
Speaker 2: I don't know, would I rather jail time or would I've rather the person to be on the registry forever, I know, but it shows how big it is to be on the registry.
Speaker 3: If he's willing to plea for three to five years.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing I was thinking about this too, is like hopefully also being a de felon could affect his standing up, like doing finance and stuff, and like he wouldn't have access to the money that he has, and that like two to five years in jail, I'm sure he'll The thing is is a guy like this in real life would just appeal, appeal, appeal until.
Speaker 3: It went away.
Speaker 1: But in this case, like being on the registry might not stop a guy like this if he's still allowed to have access to money, but.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it would affect his job.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's a real it's a real shitty six of one, half dozen of another. But so Jenna's like, wait, so it's all over, And Barbara's like, if we go to the jury, he could be acquitted, and Chad's like, we just need to get on with our lives, and Jenna's like I agree, So they take the deal. Jenna thanks the detect stims who blew up her life. She's like, I'm on meds. I'm starting therapy. I'm putting Tokyo aside for right now. I've got to get better at life and not just at sports. So now we cut to a TV interview where Jenna is admitting that she started pull vaulting to quiet the voices in her head and that she was acting out sexually and you know, drinking, engaging in risky behavior, and so everyone at the gang is watching at the precinct and Live tells Rollins, you know, you really did write by Jenna, but she's like, but next time, you better tell me before you talk to a victim about her testimony. So you know, Rollins is not getting away with anything under Olivia Benson's watch, and maybe Jenna will end up getting like I'm sure she'll write a book. I'm sure that they'll be TV deal about this about like an athlete who's secretly a sex worker. You know, she'll hopefully make money and you know, maybe she can coach too.
Speaker 3: So at home.
Speaker 1: Now the episode ends with Rollins at home. She opens the door. Jesse's just in the middle of the living room in her pack and play, and Kim's in the bathroom and she's like, oh, I let the sitter because her boyfriend got into a car accident, and then Amanda, like immediately obviously suspicious, busts into the bathroom and Kim is holding a pill bottle. Amanda goes into an investigative spiral, what are you on oxy adderall like, she starts checking all the bottles. She goes, it's lithium, it's a prescription, it's legal, like, it's a signed to me. She got a psychiatric evaluation when she was first trying to mount her defense with with mister Dsapio, the lawyer, that she's fucking and she goes and when I got the psychiatric evaluation, I was diagnosed with bipolar.
Speaker 3: I've been on meds for a year.
Speaker 1: So classic SVU where something in the detective's life is mirroring something that's happening in the episode.
Speaker 3: And she says, you.
Speaker 1: Know, sometimes I miss the manic energy, but I feel really good about myself for the first time in my life. And Amanda's like really taken aback, and she's like, you didn't tell me, And Kim's like, Amanda, you didn't ask, and that's.
Speaker 3: Dick wolf baby.
Speaker 1: So this seems like it's like a good news, fresh start for Kim and Amanda, but unfortunately Kim later has more issues with like you know, being addicted to pain killers and stuff that goes on with like the dad, and like Kim goes back to prison eventually, but we'll cover that at a future date. But this episode is wild, and I'm interested to hear what it's based on, because, I mean, mental health stuff is so tough. But then also to have like the athlete part of it, like layered on top, feels very tough to untangle. But Lisa, as soon as we're back with a few messages from our sponsors, I can't wait for you to tell me about it.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: So today's episode is based on Susie Favor Hamilton, and she's a runner originally from Steven's Point, Wisconsin, a Midwest bitch thrilled. She's she was an American middle distance runner and she went to run at the University of Wisconsin, where she won nine NCAA championships and twenty three Big Ten titles, so really accomplished. And then during her senior year she signed a six figure, five year contract with Reebok, which is really cool because I know there's always debate about like shit athletes get paid or whatnot. And I believe, I hardcore believe they should get paid. But anyway, so cool, she got that deal. She married her husband Mark right after she graduated college, like immediately, and she was ranked number one in the US at the fifteen hundred meter in eighty nine slash ninety year and also again in two thousand and two. Because even when you said, like thirty, oh oh, but for most sports that is older, and so to be able to be number one in ninety and in two thousand is like pretty fucking cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I just thought like there are some I mean, I don't know, like Serena first of.
Speaker 3: All, yes, there are a handful.
Speaker 1: Has been back, like some Yeah, like who's coming back this year to the isn't Simone Bile's going to be back? She is a young woman, I know, But how old is she? Oh she's twenty six now, but when's the next Olympics.
Speaker 2: No, there's also there's like a swimmer who's an and a gymnast who's done it into their forties. I'm not saying it is nonexistent. It is very rare.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I agree, But I thought for some reason that for track and stuff, that they're.
Speaker 3: That people have been older. I do. I do agree.
Speaker 1: Gymnastics like has to do so much with like they're all so tiny people. For shot put you can aid yea. So maybe for biathlon where you ski and shoot off a fucking gun, then you can then you can be fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bowling well, because I mean I think that's why. I mean, there's dozens of reasons why, but I think that's like an added reason why Lebron James is incredible because there's memes right now where when he started playing, like in the league, he had a flip phone and a CD, a portable CD player with headphones. That is how Lebron James entered his career.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: He is like he is the coach that was the funniest, Say, the coach of one of the teams now is younger than Lebron.
Speaker 3: Wow, and this motherfucker is.
Speaker 2: Still dunking and you know, dozens and dozens of points a season, like he's not he is playing against twenty two year olds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's incredible. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But anyways, so being an athlete is hard. She competed in three Olympics and she really wanted to medal in Sydney in two thousand, but she did not get it because on the final lap she was passed by several runners and then she fell. Later, she admitted that she fell on purpose after she felt like she had let her family down in her friends and her brother had passed and he was like run. She was running for his memory, and her friend was sick with cancer, and she was just like running forever everybody. And once it hit her that she wasn't gonna win, the like shame thing, and she fucking she faked a fall.
Speaker 3: At the Olympics.
Speaker 2: ABC News quoted her saying, I came around the final corner and five girls passed me and the dream of having an Olympic medal was gone. And instead of finishing the race like most runners would, I told myself just fall and I fell immediately, and that was the moment on my downward spiral. I didn't know at the time, but that was one of the terrible things to happen. She was like, damn, I'm the worst person in the world. Look what I did. And her self worth was just on the floor, and she had tons of mood swings and she didn't know what to do.
Speaker 3: But she's like, you know what, two thousand and four, let's do it.
Speaker 2: But then she began to suffer with depression and consider taking her own life, which led her to retire right before the Athens Olympics. And so, like any very attractive woman whose plan A does not work, she did become a real term But also she started doing motivational speeches and raising her young girl. Yes, she had a daughter, her name was Kylie. And then you know her husband, Mark Hamilton, not the one that you're thinking. So that's when he began to notice his wife was like getting angry, irrational and had an unhealthy attachment to their daughter, like refusing to put her down. And this is where she was put on antidepressants, which made her feel really good. And she's like, oh no, I felt real good, amazingly good. So yeah, she was just like on a high with these antidepressants. But at the same time, her marriage to Mark was having a hard moment. So she's like, hey, let's go to fucking Vegas, baby. So Kara's on board. So she was like, let's work on her marriage. It's our wedding anniversary, it's twenty eleven, let's spice things up. So on the trip, they ended up having a threesome. They went skydiving, and it just made her mania feel very intense. But she was like, oh my god, I'm living my life to the fullest. I'm obsessed with this. So then when she got home, she was miserable from the trip. She hated her real estate job. She was craving Vegas. She asked to go back to Vegas alone. Her husband was down and was like, yeah, whatever, you need, go back to Vegas. While in Vegas, she hired a male escort and she loved it and it was the only other man she'd ever have had sex with outside of her husband, and it hit her like, wait, I want to fuck more people. And she was like, and if this guy can make money selling sex, I can too. I'm fucking hot. And so Mark did know she he was in the No, it was not a secret to him. Like in the episode, Mark knew it bothered him. He raised his objections, but she just she wanted to do it, and he knew she was going to do it anyways. So Susie called Jamie Rodman, who was the owner of the escort firm, and she began working as Kelly Lundy, Yes Lundy I wonder if she's related to what was the guy? What's Lundy's first name in Dexter? Do you remember, Oh, Frank Lundy, isn't it Frank?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So she got an amazing high from the first night someone paid her for sex, but it.
Speaker 3: Became uncontrollable and she just wanted more and more.
Speaker 2: So she was working as an escort as Kelly Lundy, but then also was a piece hearing as Susie Favor Hamilton the track Star. It was a full Hannah Montana double life situation.
Speaker 3: Legit.
Speaker 2: One day she ran a half marathon in the morning in a different state, hopped on an airplane, got to Vegas and had five appointments.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: She was living life to the edge physical peak.
Speaker 3: I would say.
Speaker 2: At one point she was among the highest ranked escorts in Las Vegas, according to the escort rating website The Erotic Review. I mean, once you're an athlete, you're just like competitive forever, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so Susie had been a Vegas escort for about ten months when her secret identity was revealed. So she was in Vegas and someone called her Susie, and she thought it was just like another runner or someone, and it actually was an investigative journalist named William Bethstone who was a co founder of the smokinggun dot com Wow. So in twenty twelve, it came out that Favor Hamilton had worked as a high priced call girl in Vegas and Chicago, Houston other cities. She really was a hip Favor Hamilton said that after the reveal, she considered take her own life and ended up admitted to the hospital heavily medicated for about two weeks, and it ended up being a turning point for her. She also was quickly dropped as an endorser. She lost money from Disney foot Locker, the Rock and Roll Marathon series, and the Wisconsin Potato and Vegetable Growers Association.
Speaker 3: No, that's got a hit hard. That's home, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: She was always very attractive, like I keep saying, and she was making bank during her running days and now her escort time, so like she was always making money. And it was kind of the Anna Kornikova of it all. Like she wasn't even the fastest, but she was hot. So she's made money, like more money than like the other runners that were better than her. For escorting, she charged six hundred dollars an hour or six thousand dollars for twenty four hours. So, like I said, the Smoking Gun was the first to publish about her double life December twentieth, in twenty twelve, and she quickly admitted it on Twitter and was not hiding it or denying it in any way. The Smoking Gun reveal came within a year of telling one of her clients her real identity. So at first it was an accident, like she didn't know she had to be careful with information. Yeah, she's not a working girl for a long time, so she was new to it, and so she didn't realize she shouldn't tell people she's from Wisconsin, you know, or what she's into, like you don't want to share any information, but she accidentally did and then she let it slip that like she ran in college. And then on accident, she said the name Susie to her client Bob, and then one day he came to her and was like, I know who you are. You'r Susie favorite Hamilton, and you live in Wisconsin and I know it. And so that happened, according to Sports Illustrated, and he promised he wouldn't tell anybody. But then she became like she became into the thrill of letting people know who she was. So then she started being a little more loose with the information, but thinking these people would never betray her, even though they probably are betraying their wives and families. So yeah, to ABC News via twenty twenty, she said, it wasn't me, it was the disease. So she had been misdiagnosed, and this ties in really.
Speaker 3: Well with episodes.
Speaker 2: So she was misdiagnosed and put on the wrong medication which made her symptoms worse. So again, according to twenty twenty, she said, I know for a matter of fact, I would never have become an escort if I wasn't on the drug that made me hyper sexual.
Speaker 3: There's no way possible.
Speaker 2: But I also know that I was having sex for money, So when I say it was the bipolar's fault, I'm not pinning it on bipolar and looking that it was an excuse. So she knows it was her, but she was dealing with untreated bipolar. Yeah, and then when the story came out, there was obviously tons of attention, way too much attention, and it was too much, and she actually tried to fling herself from a moving car that her husband was driving, and that was the final straw for her husband and he called the family doctor, so she finally was diagnosed with bipolar. So there was a doctor Claudia Reardon, who explains that often bipolar patients are given antidepressants and it can have catastrophic results. So many people go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for years and don't understand why. They have volatile relationships, poor boundaries, unpredictable reactions to events, and a dissatisfaction with themselves. Susan Heitler, a Denver based clinical psychologist, says that people with bipolar disorder feel like they can do anything and they lose contact with standard rules of behavior. That goes back to the episode with her, like trying to apartment jump in the city of New York and stuff like that. Reardan says, in someone with bipolar disorder, if you give them an antidepressant, it lifts their mood, but they don't have as much of us ceiling on their mood, so it can push their mood too high and we often see symptoms such as hypersexuality, spending lots of money, engaging in lots of reckless kinds of behaviors because people generally aren't in the state of mind to think through ahead, so the consequences of those kinds of behaviors, and she said that to ABC News. The diagnosis hit even harder because her brother suffered from it, like the same mental illness, and he took his own life, and it was like really shocking. So but it gave her kind of peace because she realized where all her behavior, like her behaviors made sense, and things just started falling into place. In retrospect looking back, she's like, oh my god, my actions were clearly out of character, and it's so easy to look back and understand, but at the time it just wasn't as clear, and it's taken her years to move forward. She still struggles between like what was her mental illness and what she did herself.
Speaker 3: She's no longer married to Mark.
Speaker 2: They had a covid era divorce, so that was finalized January twenty ninth, twenty twenty one. She did write a New York Times best selling memoir called Fast Girl, A Life Spent Running from Madness, and that's good if you want to read that, and the book focuses on living with bipolar disorder and how a misdiagnosis can fuck with your life. And this is just a little button on athletes. This guy, it's a veteran coach. His name is Brooks Johnson, who's worked with Olympic runners since nineteen sixty eight, said end quotes, no well adjusted person will ever become an Olympic champion. And this is to l magazine, and he continues, it's the same for art, politics, music. They go to extremes because they have extreme needs. So something to think about. Yeah, and that's that. That's not digwolf, that's real life, baby. And what a journey, What a fucking journey. And there was all these post allegations that were like look at her hoe and stuff like that, like sports, like there were a ton of like rude stories.
Speaker 3: What is it called byline? Not bylines? Headlines? Yeah? Why could I not come up with headlines?
Speaker 2: But it does seem like she handled her shit really like on like she did lose a lot but gained a lot with the book and her future in her life and feeling healthy and I'm glad she was not a soul and it seemed like she did whether it was bipolar misdiagnosis or what.
Speaker 3: It didn't.
Speaker 2: It did seem like she liked what she was doing. It wasn't a situation where she was forced in any way. So that's obviously a better situation than the Yeah, well, thank you for telling us about that. I did not know anything about this woman. No, that's what I mean. That's why I like that pole vaulter. Like going into her living room and seeing cardboard cutouts of her body. It's like, in what world? In what fucking world are we getting cut outs of pole vaulters at the grocery store. But that's why anyone that brings up women's like college swimming for trans arguments, it's like, honey, we know you don't care about swimmers, like we don't care about the popular women's sports. You're watching swimming, Yeah, on a collegiate level. No, stay out of it, baby, stay out of it.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Well, we have a very exciting guests, so don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk to her in a moment.
Speaker 2: I bet you can guess who it is or not or your fools.
Speaker 1: All right, you guys might know our guests this week as Debbie from True Blood or Penny in Riverdale. She most recently appeared in the movie The Donor Party, and you probably know her best though, as s Few's Jenna Miller. Please enjoy our chat with the actor Britt Morgan.
Speaker 3: Hello Britt Morgan. Oh hello, Hi.
Speaker 1: Having no so great to have you on the pod. This is a huge, a huge get This is the start of this episode.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Well before we start, are you air drying your hair? Are you curling it? What's happening? It looks great?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 5: So I didn't wash it today. It's second day hair and I do the wand thing same.
Speaker 3: I'm a wand gal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks effect and like the second day the curls like kind of fall. Not today I'm not wanding, but normally I'm a wand gal And like the next day it's kind of like good PC pieces.
Speaker 4: It's got the deadhead second day. Thanks.
Speaker 2: I guess we have to start by asking what we're all thinking. Now you are an athlete, what's going like? What like, what's happening?
Speaker 4: What in the episode? Well?
Speaker 3: And how did you do? I mean, I don't know the hoppit.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a physically demanding episode. You look like an Olympian pole vaulter, and so I assume maybe you had like a track past or something.
Speaker 5: I have no track pass, no athletic ability, but I have broad shoulders.
Speaker 4: That's the ticket. They just look athletic.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, they brought you in for the audition. They were like, don't even have her open her mouth. Those shoulders got you.
Speaker 4: Casts Actually even funnier. It was a straight offer. I think it's the.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, hell yeah, straight off from sv You must feel great.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie. It was a moment.
Speaker 5: I was really I wasn't really blown away because the role so challenging that I was kind of amazed that they offered it to me.
Speaker 4: It was. It was a cool moment. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you have to do a lot. I mean there's such a range. There's like a mania, yeah, you know, the mania, bipolar, Yeah, the MAINI.
Speaker 1: Well, we talk about Svu Bingo, and I would say, like, you have great Svu Bingo moments in this where like you got to be on the stand, have a breakdown on the stand, Like do have like a really wild capture from the cops where you're trying to hop from building the building and like do all this crazy shit and then there's a twist with a with a mental illness. So a lot of really a lot of really good stuff is happening for you in this But like up top, I just want to know how that worked with like that scene when you were jumping from one building to the other. Obviously they didn't make you do that, but like how did they shoot that with you? Were they just like run really quick and then stop yourself before you get to the edge of a building.
Speaker 5: Like actually, yes, that's one of the most distinctive sea because this was a this was a minute ago at this point eight years regard or something. But I feel like that was one of the scenes I remember the most because I really was barefoot. It really was like cold outside building. I didn't go to the edge edge of the building because safety precautions, but and I didn't jump over the building. But no, they that was like very real. I remember running. I remember like hurt, like in real life, hurting my ankle. I remember being like this this seed That scene was a bit.
Speaker 2: Intense Yoh but did they have a stunt person do the hop or was that like CGI?
Speaker 4: I honestly don't remember God.
Speaker 3: We need some now you were in a dress.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 5: That was that was intense, really running barefoot, and I think I think it was cgi the jump cool wow big budget.
Speaker 2: We were doing press one time, like radio and they said something like, well, you know, Law and Order is not like a movie they cut corners.
Speaker 3: What is an example of that?
Speaker 2: And we were like you are mistaken, sir, like absolutely not. I'm like, there's never been a cutting of corners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, We're like they actually have quite a budget.
Speaker 4: There was no cutting of corners on Lawn Order.
Speaker 3: No, We're like, you fool.
Speaker 2: But also the treadmill scene seemed intense. No, how long do you have to run on that?
Speaker 4: How fast that opening scene?
Speaker 1: Yeah yes, because if they asked me to do that, I would be like all right, but you got to get the shot first take because then I'm having an asthma attack, you know, like I wouldn't be able to do that over and over they go that fast?
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, yeah that was fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's like a wild like mom mom, and you're so in the zone, like you're ignoring the little kid and just like just not the kind of workout ethic I have, but you know.
Speaker 4: Me, neither.
Speaker 3: She's an olympian.
Speaker 5: She's an olympian. She is an Olympian. Yeah, no, luckily that was fast.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: The funny thing is you booked these roles and it's not like I had a ton of It's not like I had months to prepare, right, I think I had had two weeks. So it was it was so much like, Okay, should I focus on the bipolar? Should I focus on the athleticism? Should I focus on the And I remember focusing mostly on I think the bipolar aspect and then the given circumstances.
Speaker 4: But it's not like I trained for this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like physically, like.
Speaker 1: You must have had to do like a full did you do like a full Nike style photo shoot? Because there's all this like like footage of you pole vaulting and then you like in these Gatorade Nike asque like.
Speaker 4: Ads full photo shoot. It was awesome. Wow, Shoot, that was really cool.
Speaker 5: And that was a moment where I was like this they really have like no no cutting corners?
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you take the cardboard cutout home of yourself?
Speaker 5: I didn't take the cardboard cutout, which I don't know why. Maybe I don't I don't want to go. I took home all like the other and like the magazine's style shoot.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was cool.
Speaker 2: One time on X but we were dating sent me a cardboard cutout of themselves for my birthday because they couldn't be there, and then they dumped me a week later and then I had it.
Speaker 3: That's actually so psychotic, yeah.
Speaker 2: Psycho, Wait, so what did you take?
Speaker 5: There was like these little card and then there was some eight x ten size of the photo.
Speaker 4: Shoot it having like a Mento box. But I have a bunch of them.
Speaker 3: What are other things you've taken from other sets? Oh?
Speaker 5: I don't have luck with being able to take anything. Like I did a large arc on True Blood and I took like my leather jacket.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Nice, Yeah, that was a good one.
Speaker 1: I remember you on True Blood. I'm a true blo Giry and I remember your character. You were like against Joe Manganello's character. Right, were you a were wolf or were you a were panther werewolf?
Speaker 5: I was with Joe Manganello and I was like the Suoki at Sukie Nemesis. Yeah yeah, it was cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I totally remember your character because that show was I watched it from the beginning and it just really a rollercoaster, a lot of different people in and out, but I remember you.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm really lucky because I haven't seen it yet and one one week I know I'm gonna binge it one day and I'm gonna really fall deep.
Speaker 3: I'm excited at all.
Speaker 4: In you might, I think it still holds up.
Speaker 2: That's what everyone tells me. Yeah, I'm like, I can't wait. Our listeners want me to watch it, and I will, but I need the perfect rainy day to dive in.
Speaker 1: So Britt, I have not to brag. I've met a lot of famous people. I don't usually get superstarstruck, but I shot a sketch with Joe Manganello once and I was true, like I was like tongue tied.
Speaker 3: How hot he is?
Speaker 1: Like I was just kind of like, uh, like he said something to me at one point and I was like sure, Like I just couldn't even like talk. He's so hot. It was so nuts. Is that how you felt? Is that how you felt at the beginning. I'm sure you guys are like old pals now, but old pals.
Speaker 5: Now at the beginning. Yeah, and he's also really tall and hot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's mad, he's so big, I will be honest.
Speaker 4: So I was twenty two on True Blood, wow, and.
Speaker 5: I had nothing of that caliber ever before on my resume. So I was just so focused and terrified of of not like I wanted so badly just to.
Speaker 4: Do a good job, you know when you're play too. So as hot as he was, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I was so overwhelmed, honestly, Yeah, during True Blood just because I was I was so young, and I didn't have that many credits and.
Speaker 3: It was such a hot show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was, honestly, So him being insanely gorgeous was just one of the things that I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 4: What is going on? But he is beautiful. He's a really nice guy too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My husband has run a Dungeons and Dragons game for him once, so I like that. He's also kind of a nerd as well.
Speaker 4: That's right, he's a gamer. There's a lot of gamers on that show.
Speaker 1: It's like the door the very dorky underbelly of gaming as well. It's very very dorky, like as as a as a wife, of a dork.
Speaker 3: But okay, so that was just a side question, Liza.
Speaker 2: Oh well, no, it's true Blood and you're also in Riverdale.
Speaker 3: They both seem like big fandoms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are you?
Speaker 3: Are you doing the like comic cons? Are you? What's the vibe in the streets?
Speaker 5: What is the vibe in the streets? I gotta get I was doing a lot of them for the pandemic. Yeah, a lot of of that, especially for True Blood. I haven't done them in probably four years, five years, but I'm.
Speaker 4: Open to them.
Speaker 3: They're fun, the cons.
Speaker 4: They're not bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the cons are fun, They're a whole thing. I haven't done them in quite a bit, though, and I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 4: They're still around though.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But when people approach you, do you know by the way they look what they're about to say.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a good question, Like are a lot.
Speaker 3: Of goths finding you know, like they know him more?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: No, I haven't done enough to have my radar that like tuned in. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: What are people what if people come up to you the most about usually True Blood and Supergirl, say.
Speaker 3: A girl another big fandom?
Speaker 5: Yeah, another big fandom, I guess, Yeah, it is interesting to realize how many of those I've done, yeah, and I've gotten I did the villain thing.
Speaker 4: They're all villains. All these characters are villains.
Speaker 5: Oh so people will always have things to say about that or like, I like, there's a lot.
Speaker 4: Of like you on the show, but I like you in real life. That's kind of like you know, which is totally which I take as.
Speaker 5: A compliment, because these characters are supposed to be kind of you know, you love to hate him, but yeah.
Speaker 1: All villains, dude, Yeah, Well this this episode, I don't know if you actually like ran into her that much because this episode is intertwined with Lindsay Pulsifer, who plays Rollin's sister. You guys aren't in any scenes together. But I don't know if you like saw her on set at all. But she's a very like hated character by the sv people, But we've had her on our podcast and she's so lovely because like she's just a bad she's a.
Speaker 3: Villain on the show.
Speaker 1: She's a bad like sister on the show, you know, so she gets that a lot too, where people are like, you shouldn't be so mean to your sister, like when she's just like grocery shopping exactly.
Speaker 5: That's what people, That's when I get the most across the board. And I also I love Lindsay's actually a good friend of mine.
Speaker 3: Oh because we.
Speaker 4: Were on True Blood together.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's right. Duh, I forgot.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, there's a lot of SVU True Blood crossover now that I'm thinking about it. Oh world, Yeah, when's Joe Mancanello going to do an episode of Best View?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. We got to get him on Get in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Kelly Giddish told us that one time someone came up to her when she was in a casino and they were like, should you be in here?
Speaker 3: Because her character has a gambling problem. So I like that.
Speaker 4: It's so funny. It's so funny.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Kelly Giddish, you had like a lot of one on one with like Marishka and Kelly in this episode. How was working with them? Like we love Marishka tidbits anything, or I mean, we love Kelly Tidbits too, But you know, I love Kelly.
Speaker 5: I remember marish a few Marishka scenes like really really well, and just I just was so blown away by her because after so many seasons of doing this show. She's just the real deal, and she really like held the bar high. I mean, I was pushing myself regardless, but just I remember doing I don't know, it's sometimes I hope I'm not saying too much, but I remember all the scenes were emotional. But I remember doing coverage and she had said something like like I was doing one thing on my take and then we turned around and I think I changed it, and I think that she kind of like mentioned something in like a very kind like way of kind of like making sure I'm matching what I did for my coverage.
Speaker 4: For her coverage.
Speaker 5: She was also super supportive and like after every emotional scene, she was just like had the kindest words to say, and I just felt like she was really interested in the.
Speaker 4: Art of it.
Speaker 5: Still, Yeah, which a lot of times you do you do crime shows, and sometimes the leads have checked out years ago totally, you know what I mean, because it's the same thing all the time, you know what I mean, twenty two episodes after year after year after year. So just to see how she like the space she held, I would like enter a scene and immediately me be like, I have to make sure I'm like rising to the occasion just by the space she held. Yeah, so there's like a degree of excellence I think she brings that makes you want to rise to the occasion.
Speaker 1: That was just impressed by her, and I think that's why the show's still on souring their twenty fifth season is because she's still like yeah, like in it.
Speaker 5: For the art of it too, like hands down, Like I really honestly think that that's it, Like it's amazing.
Speaker 2: During the strike, we didn't have any guests, so you're one of our first guests back, and I miss hearing positive things about mrccal hargetay.
Speaker 3: Like that really brought me a lot of joy.
Speaker 2: Because she does seem just amazing and wants the guest stars that come on to do a good job.
Speaker 5: It's insane, I have to be honest, Like I've never seen anything like it, Like there was such this maternal or like older sister like she does she cares about you doing a great.
Speaker 4: Job and that the show is great like that this scenms to feel real.
Speaker 2: She knows how much it means to people, I think to be on it, like it is a stamp for so many actors, like done a law order, their first credit.
Speaker 3: You know that's cool.
Speaker 4: Totally.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it is so many people's first credit. Yeah, it's amazing to think about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the show's just great.
Speaker 2: It's first credits or it's people you know, like Carol Burnett will just be a killer.
Speaker 4: Ah yeah, right, Well.
Speaker 2: We were talking about I don't know how to say his last name, Joe Matt what is it manganello.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he was being hot.
Speaker 2: I do want to say your attacker was hot, theo Stockman. I felt like he was hot. How did you feel, bad guy? But I was I like, I looked him up. I was like, who is this? Are you guys best friends?
Speaker 4: He was super sweet.
Speaker 5: I think I'm I crazy. I think it was like one of his first jobs. But anyway, we're not best friends. He was so sweet, but in the scenes he was giving creepy rapist vibes. Yeah yeah, but like they were thick. I mean in his acting, not in real life, right right act. I just watched it again last night because I was I needed to remember what it was.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he's very cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's a Broadway guy too, Lisa, Oh yeah, yeah, is that your thing?
Speaker 3: We I like to see the hip shows I do. I'm in it. I wish I was.
Speaker 2: I wish I had more in depth knowledge. But I love going to Broadway shows when I'm in New York for sure.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, And a lot.
Speaker 2: Of our listeners sometimes, you know, we do a lot of episodes and we recap them and.
Speaker 3: People will be like, I can't believe you didn't mention this. They were on Broadway.
Speaker 2: So we have a lot of Broadway people that listen and I'm like, sorry, we didn't know that they were beetlejuice.
Speaker 3: My bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, since you watched it yesterday, thank you for doing that. Any things that jogged your memory or scenes you were like, what were your thoughts watching it?
Speaker 4: A lot of things jog my memory.
Speaker 5: The athletic aspect of it, like on the track, me doing like these moves on the track to find me at the end, I'm like, I don't even know I know nothing about sports. The courtroom scene jog my memory because I take my shirt off in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I wanted to ask you about.
Speaker 1: That's probably the only person to strip on the stand in SVU history. I mean, I don't think we've seen that before. We've seen We've seen erections on the stand. We've seen a lot of crazy shit on the stand, but my body is perfect. Taking off your shirt like that was a wild scene? How was that?
Speaker 4: That was a wild scene?
Speaker 5: It was like, you know, sometimes you get a role and there's like the one scene you're like nervous about the whole time and you're like, I can't.
Speaker 4: That was the scene.
Speaker 5: I was even sitting here like nervous to see it back because technically acting wise, going from one, like you know, one thing to like this manic episode taking my shirt off on the scene, but also taking your shirt off ever on a stand is so odd.
Speaker 4: It was just so odd like and interesting to watch.
Speaker 5: But no, as me, that was that was really challenging just being able to like number one pull it off, like how do I pull this off? Like so so this doesn't like look ridiculous, and number two just feeling kind of bad for the character I.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, I mean I was kind of like I thought that was a really interesting like part of this character that like, you know, we see female athletes in a certain way, and sometimes we see athletes that get dulled up on like red carpets and stuff like that, But this woman was really into like, I don't want to just be seen as like this athlete. I really want to be seen as like a sexy woman too. And that's like what started it. And that's I think even though she has the mental illness, that's what.
Speaker 3: He said to her.
Speaker 1: That lawyer is like what triggers all those feelings On the stand, She's like, I'll show you how hot I am, and like, you know, you look great, you look great.
Speaker 4: Oh oh gosh.
Speaker 5: As a woman myself, that was challenging because I don't feel like I have anything to be able to be like, oh look I'm perfect, yeah, yeah, perfect, Like I certainly don't feel that way about myself.
Speaker 4: I had to really jump in the character for that aspect of it. But you know how how odd.
Speaker 5: It you're of course, who's sitting you know in the audience is all these veteran actors, Mauricia get my risk and everybody, And I'm sitting here taking my shirt up and they're looking my voice isn't interesting?
Speaker 4: Yeah, scene, I haven't seen I haven't seen this one before.
Speaker 5: You know, there's like it's it's a little funny until you get into it.
Speaker 2: Well, Also, we've talked to people that the courtroom scenes do take a really long time to film because there's so much coverage to do.
Speaker 3: How many times did you have to do it?
Speaker 1: Was it like a really long long day, just you have to keep like ramping up to this big melt down and taking your.
Speaker 3: Shirt off over and over and over again. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: To be honest, yes, it's worth wild. It's works that it is work. It's just work, plain and simple. Yeah yeah, yeah, oh hard. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then how was your How was your on screen husband? He seemed like I wanted to kill him for half the episode, but so the guy was doing a good job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, I was.
Speaker 5: I was impressed by him watching it back, I was like, he's good for this role, like I was giving, like husband of an Olympic athlete, Yeah, very well, like.
Speaker 1: Like we're a business. The two of us together are a business and you.
Speaker 2: Can't we're gonna get a gold medal. Yeah, that was nice.
Speaker 5: It was a nice detail that I totally forgotten so I watched it. He was a really nice guy, as as usual, the people who play these sort of characters are usually really nice y.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We had a comedian friend of ours on the pod because he played an ice cream truck rapist and it is like wild. When then you know the person, you're like, wow, we were like Johnny would never come on.
Speaker 4: Johnny would never Oh my.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are you up to? Now? Strike's over? What are you feeling?
Speaker 4: Strike is over?
Speaker 3: Back?
Speaker 4: It's so crazy. Back to auditioning.
Speaker 5: I shot an episode of The Rookie last week that was pretty fun. Yeah, it should be in the uh the season.
Speaker 3: The opener is that n C Nash No, who's in The Rookie? Nathan Fillian?
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I don't know if it's I know Nathan Filliae.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you're making him that she's in something right now? Yeah, sorry, that sounds kind of like The Rookie.
Speaker 4: I'm looking it up right now.
Speaker 3: Oh it's called the Rookie FEDS. Yes, so I wasn't far off. I wasn't far off.
Speaker 4: You were, Oh my god, there's so many he's spin off.
Speaker 3: Called the Rookie FEDS. And she's the star of it. That's why I was like the Rookie And that's cool, and.
Speaker 4: It's just getting back into it, getting back into the yeah, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: So hopefully have you like since you've done these big parts, like cause I know, like when you were on Riverdale you had like an eye patch or something crazy.
Speaker 3: You were like, yeah, you were a villain.
Speaker 1: Are you like continuing to like mostly go out for villain parts or do you do all kinds of stuff?
Speaker 3: I'm sure we are changing.
Speaker 4: We gotta change. We gotta change the branding, changing the branding. Serious.
Speaker 5: I think the only good thing about like I hadn't like worked that much in the last few years, is kind of feeling like ready to take an It's easy to get kind of like.
Speaker 4: A little bit pigeonhole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And then you and then you're making you know, you got you got to pay the bills, right. I guess I'm doing this one thing really well, like let's just keep doing it. But I got myself into a position where I feel like it's time to just just try different things and like, you know, expand it. So luckily though, I go out for everything. Yeah, I don't only go out for villains.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, all right, Well we'll see what the next thing is.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want our listeners to check out or know about?
Speaker 4: Uh no, not really follow me? On social media be in touch. Yeah, and I'll keep you I'll keep you posting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We're going to tag you up and everything when this comes out and everything, of course.
Speaker 3: But this is awesome. I mean, do you have.
Speaker 1: Any like last minute little like funny things that happened on set. Did you and Iced Tea run into each other at Craft Services? Like anything you want to say before we leave?
Speaker 5: No, although I will say in the courtroom scene when we were doing it, I was like freaking out and taking my shirt off and everything.
Speaker 4: Ice Youa just like, Wow, you never seen anything like this before. Great scene. He's a trip. He's really funny.
Speaker 1: We are are dying, actively dying to meet him.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Has he not been on the podcast yet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my god, yes not yet.
Speaker 1: We've had a lot of regulars, We've had a lot, We've had a lot of like longtime classics. But we're we're waiting on like him and Marishka, because we feel like the podcast is basically over once we get them.
Speaker 2: And to But we did I see got a star on the Walk of Fame, and we did carolied and said we were pressed, and we got into the press box and.
Speaker 3: We got we got close. We are pressed.
Speaker 1: We have access to more people that like s view than probably any press person in that breast box.
Speaker 3: Kara was wearing a pea coach. She looked perfect and really was able to.
Speaker 1: And pretending it was a snuffo, you know, with our PR company or something.
Speaker 5: When was this with the Walk of Fame the Star last when last year?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like jar but we got an amazing photo of his daughter leaping into Marishka's arms, and hopefully one day we will be able to meet her and give her this picture.
Speaker 3: It's like, so fucking cute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's amazing. Wow, that is so cool.
Speaker 1: But this was so fun, Britt, thank you for taking the time. We can't wait to see what else you're doing. Uh coming up, You're gonna be killing it. I'm sure it's something very soon.
Speaker 2: And I can't wait to then watch True Blood and then rich be obsessed.
Speaker 3: You know, years ago watch I.
Speaker 4: Would I would die. I'm curious. I feel like you'll like it.
Speaker 2: I like it, Transylvania, So why wouldn't I like you?
Speaker 3: They're so similar, They're so similar.
Speaker 4: This was really fun. Thank you for having me. I love I love this kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh she was a treat one more time from Britt. But that was really fun. It's fun to talk to somebody who is like really the focus of the entire episode.
Speaker 2: And uh, she had a lot of work to do, and I had to do varied things. Like it wasn't just courtroom. It was I'm gonna get naked in a courtroom. Yeah, it wasn't just you're visiting my house. It's like, here's a room of figurines of me. So like she really got to do a lot of different locations and varied acting and crushed it and was cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean in the Courtroom Hall of Fame, there's like the guy who stands up with the boner, there's this woman taking off her top.
Speaker 3: She's right, she's right up there.
Speaker 1: She's in the top courtroom performances we've seen on the show.
Speaker 3: So loved that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if we're talking about yeah, I would say I would throw a whoopee into that one.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: And I would uh throw that last one we did about the cam girl.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the cam I mean that was an iconic one too, because that's like COVID with like weird plastic screens. We should just make like top ten iconic courtroom moments. Make a little list.
Speaker 3: I think we should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll do it, even though I'm having a heart to Yeah the little kid people admitting it on the stand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, God, the show is good. Have we covered that that we love it?
Speaker 1: I mean people that go and attack like they're the defense attorney or the prosecutor with like a pencil or whatever, like, doesn't Careesi get a bloody ear at one point.
Speaker 3: There's a lot, there's a lot of good courtroom shit.
Speaker 4: Ugh.
Speaker 2: Someone stabbing in the ear is so hard to think about. Ah, yeah, I don't like that. Are people that end up like having headaches and then they look in and there's like a bug.
Speaker 3: In their ear? No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, nope, nope, nope. You know that happened on Survivor ones. Oh my god, I can't.
Speaker 2: But she didn't want to leave the game because she wanted to be on Survivor and she had a live thing in her ear.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Like that is that is?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: So I can't. I don't even think I can. I know you told me to stop.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I continued, but uh.
Speaker 1: So that's a thing for you. Yeah, like I'm not even that scared of bugs. I just don't want them in my boty, you know what I mean, Like anywhere any orifice and an ear would be one of them.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, let's do post mortem of the episode.
Speaker 1: Listen, just because a gal likes to get dressed up and go into town, going to New York City, doesn't mean you can, im I mean, just because you're paying someone for sex doesn't mean you can do whatever the fuck you want.
Speaker 3: That guy was a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I mean, it's not it's like the whole thing, Well, I paid for it. It's like, yeah, but you pay for lots of things, you can't do it, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I pay for an uber. I can't punch him in the back of the head.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, it's dehumanization and the devaluing of these people, Like people don't look at sex workers as people or if you're a hoe at all.
Speaker 3: Certainly not that man. No, No, who's the guy that sucks? Andrew Tait has a brother, I guess, oh god, there's two of them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I listened to some of my porn pods, I watched some clips, and so there was a girl on it who flew out to meet up with him, like he messaged her and she was like, yeah, he flew me out to Dubai and it's like to be flown out to Dubai. I just I you know, but whatever. Yeah, so she goes, yeah, I saw his paige. She had cute cars, so I thought he was cute. So I went and then they asked how was the sex, and she went rough oh, And it's like, yeah, like why would you go have said like a human trafficking brother, I just don't understand. Well, like you're so hot and you're making money here, Like why I don't get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds terrible.
Speaker 2: Again, the weight of the world is huge, and thank god for little trinkets and treats so.
Speaker 3: We could have ease.
Speaker 2: And I guess we're lucky to have the ease because so many people do not and are deep in a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: So are we pro or for manager husbands?
Speaker 1: I mean, in the end, I think it's good that he lets her like address her mental health and like walk away from sports, because it's like she cannot do both. But I think that he was ignoring a very clear mental health problem for a long time, so that he could she could just be successful, you know, so I think bad but maybe moving his way towards the good column. Yeah, it's like people just I don't know, it's the same with I'm sure like actors and singers, but like athletes, you know, just thinking that these people are perfect and have no problems, or like that they can that you could do anything to push through pressure. It's like you can't push through a mental illness. You know, you could try, You could try for decades. Yeah, you could try. But I think they handled it pretty well. How like they handled the true story pretty well too. I feel like the true story's wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I watched this episode live when it first came out, I had no idea it was based on a real thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean she was cool, Like it's kind of badass to like race all day, get on a flight and have five clients in Vegas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can you imagine how strong you have to be?
Speaker 1: I thought that she was doing it after she was done running professionally, but now ye're wrong.
Speaker 2: No, she went straight from a meet, got on a flight and went and took and had five clients.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I thought it was like just when she became a realtor and things were off the table athletically. Wow, that's endurance, you know, That's.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: These athletes they're good because I always think about well not always just now, like is Travis tired after the game or does he just have more energy?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I'm sure exhausted. But then if you, like one, isn't there adrenaline and you want to and you.
Speaker 3: Gotta get ready for the next game.
Speaker 2: Like it's such a wild existence, it really is.
Speaker 3: I just started going back to.
Speaker 2: Soul cycle, and there was like the first few times I had I was so beat and I was like, oh, yeah, you forget that.
Speaker 3: You do get tired after you do stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, my legs just came back online. It's today's Wednesday. I worked out on Friday, and my legs like just today don't hurt. Like it's like it's very I don't have the constitution of an athlete, that is absolutely for sure. Like I don't have the discipline or really any of it, the physical ability, the care, the passion, yeah, the drive, the interest, any of it's just it's not there for me. And I can honestly say that about any sport I've ever played. I was always like I'm doing this because this is what everybody does, Like any sport.
Speaker 3: I played lacrosse.
Speaker 1: I really liked lacrosse, but I was never like this rules, I'm having the best time.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was like everybody plays sports, and I have to play sports, so if I'm going to play one, this one's fine.
Speaker 3: You know your mom made you play sports.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of shocked, like she didn't like make me, but it was like everybody was doing it, so it was like, what sport are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like she was like you have to, but like everybody was doing one. It's like I loved horseback riding, but she made you play piano, so who knows, Yeah she did and then I quit. Maybe she forced, you know, field hockey down your throat. Who knows, no, no, no. People thought I'd be good at basketball because I'm tall. Nope, terrible.
Speaker 2: Carmen Lynch has the funniest joke because she's so tall. People always like you're so tall, you should be a model, and she's like, how about my face? Like it's like half the compliment, like there's another part that belongs to being a model.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh but if you all.
Speaker 2: Want to know, I am doing the Britney Spears Soul Cycle Ride today, so you know I'm counting down the minutes.
Speaker 1: Britt Morgan, Britney Spears a lot of Brits in your life today.
Speaker 3: Love that?
Speaker 2: Wait, did you see Dan Polyac shake Hule's partner did so? He actually just did He did our all of our tour, He.
Speaker 1: Did all of our tour art for the Anywhere but Hudson tour that we did, and he's he's.
Speaker 3: Did my most recent artwork.
Speaker 2: And he just designed the twenty fifth year anniversary Hit Me Baby One More Time Britney Spears capsule collection. There's shorts, necklaces, tank top, sweatshirts. He designed the whole collection and it's official. Yeah, Britney Spears dot fucking calm. So that was really That's so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, he's very talented. He's the best beautiful eyebrows too. Yeah. Well, I'm glad we could shout out our buddy Dan. Let's move on to what would Sister Peg do?
Speaker 1: This is our weekly segment where we direct you tour an organization a book, blog post, a blog post something to give you more information about what we talked about today. And this week we wanted to highlight the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance the DBSA. They are the leading national organization focusing on mood disorders, including depression and bipolar disorder, which affect over twenty one million Americans and account for over fifty percent of the nation's suicides every year. The DBSA offers peer based and wellness oriented support and resources in many ways, online, in local support groups, in audio and videocasts, and in printed materials and mental health care facilities across America. So there are numerous ways to get involved, both as a volunteer or if you're just looking for more information. Go to www dot Dbsalliance dot org to find out more and that will be as always posted in a story on the day this episode comes out and saved Forever in our WWSPD highlights.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for that. That seems like an incredible organization.
Speaker 2: And next week we'll be doing one of my favorite episodes, a story of More Woe not my favorite title, Season twenty, episode thirteen, Taylor Swift's Lucky Number and thank you so much. We're obsessed with all of you, and until next week.
Speaker 3: Bye, guys.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Dun dun
Speaker 3: H