Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our one on this Thursday, Dan and the Dan N's Dan Patrick Show. The Miami Heat. They won't go away the Celtics, they did go away. Last night. Heat go up one to oher and Jimmy Butler had thirty five. We have a frost delay at the PGA Championship. Excuse me, yes, frost. Normally you get sunshine, it's cloud beautiful clouds and blue skies, and you got frost right now in Upstate New York. But they will get the round in and it gets started a little bit later on. But a frost delay, they can't play right now in the frost. Lakers, Nuggets Game two coming up tonight, Panthers and the Hurricanes Game one eight seven to seven three D three DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle the DP Show and this program brought to you by the great folks at Trager. The flat Rock flat top grill is awesome. Make sure you go to trigger dot com. Make sure you use the promo CODDP Show at checkout for free shipping. That grill will change your life. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America of the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Coming into last night's game Eastern Conference Finals, the Heats weren't given much of a chance. In fact, the ESPN analytics said the Miami Heat had a three percent chance of going back to the NBA Finals. I don't know what the analytics would say today with the ESPN maybe a little more than three percent. Miami came into the postseason as the eighth seed. Now I know, we get caught up in they're an eighth seed. Well, they underachieved during the regular season to start with, so they're not truly an eighth seed. And I don't know if Miami truly cared about the regular season. They just want to get into the playoffs. And when they do, with that coach and that player, they usually do some damage. And Jimmy Butler, if we've learned anything his four year stretch in Miami, never count him out. You know, you go back to twenty twenty, he willed the Heat to the finals. Last night, he had his way with the Celtics. He had thirty five, seven and six steals. Six time All Star, He's going to be a future Hall of Famer. And when you think about those guys when it gets to the postseason. He's almost a modern day Reggie Miller from the standpoint of maybe regular season you're not talking about him good, maybe sometimes very good. But postseason that's when you make a name for yourself, and Jimmy Butler has done that. Here's Boston coming in, all this momentum, Jason Tatum, credible performance, fifty one points Game seven, and then all of a sudden, doesn't take a shot in the fourth quarter. It takes five shots total in the second half. How's that happen?
Speaker 1: You're at home?
Speaker 2: Jason Tatum, Jalen Brown, sixth Man of the Year, Malcolm Brogdon, firepower. They got it all, but they can't win at home. They're five hundred at home in the playoffs. So Boston is still a better team than Miami. The best team doesn't always win, and that was certainly the case last night.
Speaker 1: Poll question today, what do we have?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: The touble d sent in a few Okay, I always like when.
Speaker 2: Todd Round one is underway at the PGA Championship. It's forty three degrees at Okhill.
Speaker 4: Aws and prayers.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, you got guys out there look like they're you know, getting ready to go skiing or you know, snowboarding. But they'll they'll get it in and the weather will be a lot better later in the week.
Speaker 1: Yes, poem.
Speaker 4: We did a little open ourw morning meeting with about the frost and the golfers at the PGA. Someone sent in a note that maybe they're protecting the conditions of the course the grass itself because there's frost on the grass. The grass could be damaged if you walk on it or play on it, you know, possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, yeah, whatever they say. I used to be on the grounds crew at the Jack Nicholas golf course. Seriously, Yes I did, and that was a King's Island, Ohio.
Speaker 4: Did you ever meet mister Nicholas? Yes, I did, when you're a youngster.
Speaker 2: Yes I did. He doesn't remember me because I was on a riding mower and I had to turn off the engine because he was walking around the golf course and he couldn't hear, so I had to turn off and I mowed the greens.
Speaker 4: That must have been pretty nutty though. I mean, he's as famous as it gets.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, yeah, but I still had a job to do. Paul, you're focused on your Yes, I was. I was mowing the greens because only I could. Yes, Ton, did you approach him, say hi to him? Or you were instructing not to talk to these men. I had a job to do, Todd.
Speaker 5: Park the car for a second and get on go Hey, mister Nicholas is one.
Speaker 6: To say hi.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a riding mower. It's not a car, you mower.
Speaker 5: But I could see you not being shy as a kid of men going up to people.
Speaker 2: No, it's I had a job to do, Ton, It's called being a profession. You should yeah, age seven to seven to three. D P show email ADDRESSDP Atdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle.
Speaker 1: At dp show Poll questions from Todd.
Speaker 7: I thought the Celtics would win this series and now I still do. I think the heat advanced to the final tonight the Lakers will have made the necessary adjustment Stephen the series head back to La down two Oh. Did you know the Wana Maker Trophy was awarded to the PGA Championship winner.
Speaker 5: Of course I did. I had no idea.
Speaker 2: I think the Lakers would be down oh two?
Speaker 5: Head back to Lakers down. I want to I wrote down two oh. Head back to Lakers just down two oh oh two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love the first option on that. It's very Todd for oh, definitely, We'll have made the necessary adjustments tonight.
Speaker 5: The Lakers made the necessary adjustments even the series head back to Los Angeles. Down oh two.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tod.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you mean that thank you?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I do. Every time I say thank you, Every every single time I say thank you to Todd, I mean thank you, Tod. What's the one to make her trophy made by the same people who made the Heisman trophy? Can we check that? For some reason in the deep recesses of this mind, the people who made the Wanna Maker trophy? Did they make the Heisman trophy? Two good ones right there?
Speaker 1: Well, if it's true.
Speaker 3: If it's not, then it's still two good trophies.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is, yes, But for some reason I thought that it's like, didn't Tiffany come up with the design for the New York Yankees? And why really does that sound right? The singer No, I know. If will you stop think we're alone? No, no, no, we're seven minutes in today, you're alone?
Speaker 5: Now, that'd be some stratege to Tiffany who came up with them.
Speaker 3: I fully support the energy Todd's putting out right now.
Speaker 2: And I have to land the planes. That's the problem, Yes, Paulie.
Speaker 4: Designed by the Asius and Klust Oh my gosh. D e g s the Asius and Clust in New York City, the Rodman Wannamaker Trophy was intended to be unique by its namesake standards. The company would add to its luster by creating the Heisman Trophy in nineteen thirty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, and then Tiffany with the Yankees logo Seaton. I can confirm that percent see you guys tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take the rest of the day.
Speaker 3: Lewis B.
Speaker 1: Tiffany okay, Louis B.
Speaker 3: Louis B.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Louis all right, my guy, Hey, Louis B. Yeah, Louay, lou Wi no, yes, you do get out of here here, all right.
Speaker 5: A can logos just as fast as we can't.
Speaker 7: Any other any Sorry but I'm sorry, apology.
Speaker 4: Uh Diegos and Klust also made Baseball's MVP Awards loul Gegg's farewell plaque at Yankee Stadium the Heisman Trophy.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay really.
Speaker 3: At a corner of the market.
Speaker 4: They did they're running things.
Speaker 1: Yes, they did.
Speaker 4: Cluster screwed everything up for everybody, though.
Speaker 1: Swit's pole question we're going to go with.
Speaker 3: Well, Paaly just sent in one. He's still in the league.
Speaker 2: Question mark exclamation point, exclamation point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, your options here from Paul or Kyle Lowry, Kevin Love, and Eudonna's Haslam. You know, Kevin Love is funny because he's sitting on the bench totally gray.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I know, it looks like he's like an Uncle Drew character.
Speaker 2: He's the guy that you go, I'll take the old man over there. He's only thirty five. Oh oh oh, I'll.
Speaker 1: Still take him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, when he checks in the game, he rips off a pair of corduroy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got cut off cords. Uh in new balance low.
Speaker 3: Cut hold on, give me about forty five minutes to stretch here and then I'll oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Eu Donna's Haslim is still. That's one of the more amazing jobs that it's almost like when the grownups are out of the room, he's still the grown up. He's the hall monitor there for the team. He's a players coach or coaches player or something like that.
Speaker 8: Yes, smart, he's definitely in the coaches meetings.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, yeah, you got to be careful when you know who is around, you know, when the players you're talking. Yeah, and man, I can't believe that's sposter. Oh hey, Eudnis, Hey, guys, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Yes, Tod, can you be a team ambassador?
Speaker 5: And I'm the roster at the same time, I'm fascinated about that.
Speaker 2: Well he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, e Donnas Hasselm has been with the Heat since three but he hasn't been really an active player where he plays in the rotation since twenty fifteen and sixteen. He's basically been on the roster the past seven years. In a practice assistant coach roll.
Speaker 2: That's not a stat of the day. I know, you know what a stat of the day could be. I got the over unders for tonight. The Lakers are getting five and a half against the Nuggets. Do you want to do the over undergame? Seaton killed it yesterday. Seaton was the joker. You were a triple double yesterday. Okay, over under joker tonight. According to DraftKings points, Seaton.
Speaker 3: Uh twenty nine and a half, Marv.
Speaker 9: Twenty seven and a half, Paulie thirty and a half, Todd.
Speaker 2: Thirty one and a half, twenty eight and a half over read over Lebron James, over under Tonight, Marvin.
Speaker 9: Twenty six and a half, Paulie twenty three and a half, Seaton twenty five and a half. Bloooah, let's go over under Anthony Davis Tonight Todd twenty three and a half, Seaton twenty seven and a half, Marv twenty two and a half, Paulie.
Speaker 4: Correction night, I'm gonna go twenty five and a.
Speaker 2: Half, twenty four and a half. That is your over undergame, brought to you by DraftKings. But the Lakers getting five and a half against the Nuggets. We'll get to phone calls coming up, We'll get our pole question. We got to play of the day. Stat of the day is always coming up. And the PGA Championship is underway with temperatures under fifty degrees. I'm played in those kind of conditions before.
Speaker 4: Does it hurt your hands?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: You know when you play baseball and it's a little cold and you have a foul ball and it's like your hands vibrate. Yeah, it can be uncomfortable playing in conditions like that.
Speaker 4: Hard to time put a white belt on when you're that cold and I feel for them?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, all right, what time weather?
Speaker 5: Richards? Are par for the course through?
Speaker 2: You got it? Oh?
Speaker 3: God, yeah, you're more creative than that is he.
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 8: He?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I believe in you, Todd.
Speaker 5: I found out, by the way, what kind of shoe you? Donnis Haslam?
Speaker 8: Where is?
Speaker 7: When he does get a chance to play, he wears the Odins because he looks old like Greg Odin? Am I trying too hard?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 7: Maybe not enough dons greg Odens shoe?
Speaker 2: No, don't pin this on r No, don't pin this on Ryan in Honolulu?
Speaker 5: What's what's from?
Speaker 1: Why don't you get up? And why don't you go outside.
Speaker 5: Cool off a little bit?
Speaker 1: And why don't you get.
Speaker 2: Some fresh air, some sunshine and start thinking about what you want to do with your career? Okay, better yet, if you're watching on peacock and why why not.
Speaker 1: Download the app? You can watch for free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get you get the curtain, You get the curtain, You get the curtain.
Speaker 1: The conus silence has been placed over Fritzy.
Speaker 2: This is when he starts to panic. Hey, come on, come on, getting claustrophobic in here.
Speaker 7: Let's make find an anxiety talk here.
Speaker 2: Are you diagnosed as having an anxiety condition? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 2: I think your mom did that your entire childhood, where she was the one that was diagnosing everything that was wrong with you.
Speaker 5: They're a very nervous boy. It's such a spelling.
Speaker 1: Test there, you're good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's much better.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with your microphone?
Speaker 5: Testing? Testing it all?
Speaker 4: Thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Jason Jackson, who is the play by play voice for the Miami Heat, will join us. Coming up, what is it about this roster? Because you look at that roster, do you go, how are they doing it?
Speaker 1: But they did it?
Speaker 2: And uh, you know, you got to get give credit. Also a whole lot of blame to the Celtics because I'm watching, going, Jason Tatum, how is this possible?
Speaker 1: The fourth quarter?
Speaker 2: Didn't take a shot, A couple of turnovers there. God, they just drive you crazy with their inconsistency. Best team in the best team in the playoffs in my opinion, But that doesn't mean they'll even make it to the NBA Finals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean what this eight seed is doing is truly story. I mean, this is an eight seed we're talking about. I know, that's driving me crazy.
Speaker 2: I know, we're making it seem like this is you know, Baltimore County, you know, upsetting. You know, a sixteen seed winning like l I U.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden is beating the Lakers or something like it to Miami Heat. They chose to be practically in the eighth seed rather than.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they underachieved, but you know, don't let that get in the way of a good story.
Speaker 1: This is what we do in the media. Eat seed knocked off a one believable and eat seed?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Yes, The tenth seed in the West and the fourth seed in the West was a two game difference. Two wins or three wins would have put you from the tenth seed to the fourth seed.
Speaker 2: You know, it doesn't matter. Let's take a break, we'll come back after this. On the Dan Patrick Show, you've heard Howard Mackler of Innovation Refunds talk about get refunds dot com and how many small businesses they've helped out with the ERC tax refunds. In fact, Innovation Refunds has already completed over seventeen thousand returns for a lot of businesses just like yours. There's construction and retail restaurants, bars, hotels. So small business owners have been told by their CPA that they wouldn't qualify because their business didn't lose money during the pandemic. Has this happened to you, and if so, get a second opinion from Innovation Refunds. But you go to get Refunds dot Com to start the process. It's going to take less than ten minutes and you could be on your way to receiving money for your business. No upfront charge. They don't get paid unless you get paid. Innovation Refunds has already helped clients claim over five billion dollars in payroll tax refunds through the ERC.
Speaker 1: To get started, go to.
Speaker 2: Get Refunds dot com or download the app from the app store today. That's Get Refunds dot Com.
Speaker 1: Good luck.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. They say good things come to those who wait. Mercedes Benz SUV Family proves otherwise. Takes no time at all. To set up a test drive at your local Mercedes Benz dealer. Learn more at mbusa dot com. Jason Jackson set to join us see.
Speaker 1: With us PAULI about two minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll talk to the play by play voice for the Miami Heat.
Speaker 1: So the pole question.
Speaker 3: We're going to go with is, I threw up literally best team in the NBA playoffs right now, just based off the statement you have just made it about the Celtics are the best team.
Speaker 1: Right now, the most talented team in the NBA, best.
Speaker 3: Team in the NBA playoffs right now. Celtics, Heat, Nuggets, Lakers.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, the Celtics are the most talented team.
Speaker 1: That mean they're the best.
Speaker 2: Team right now.
Speaker 3: Early voting seventy percent of the Nuggets.
Speaker 2: Well, they might be the best team the way they're playing, but the most talented team is the Celtics.
Speaker 3: Your Celtics are actually my Celtics. They're literally your Celtic.
Speaker 1: They're not my Celtics.
Speaker 3: They're last.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're losing to an eighth seeded Miami Heat team seed.
Speaker 4: I mean we're talking about an eight seed here, scrappy Miami Heat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, Yeah, they're not an eighth seed. They probably were an underachieving team during the regular season. That's the reason why they're an eighth seed. This guy would know all about it. Jason Jackson Junior, the third Miami Heat play by play voice. What were you expecting last night in Boston with your Miami Heat?
Speaker 8: Oh? My father, right now, this is so sad. Listen.
Speaker 10: Of the nineteen seasons that I've covered this team, this is the most one off experience that I've ever had in the sense of, here's a team that just missed the NBA Finals by a Jimmy Butler missed three.
Speaker 8: I mean, this is far off to the right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that was it, And the entire team, for the most part, outside of PJ.
Speaker 8: Tucker, was brought back.
Speaker 10: And so you assume at the very least somewhere between one through four, like you're just taking his serratia. Other teams are gonna be better, other teams are not. There's gonna be some shifting. That's probably about it. And then a yured seven and oh Marry Yard seven ankle all the way through Jimmy Butler and management on his body, Kyle Lowry playing way too many minutes early because of the management of Jimmy's body to everybody having some sort of time spent out all of a sudden, the Miami Heat is the team that's missed the most games due to injury. Which it's not a headline for the Heat because the Heat don't want that to be a headline.
Speaker 8: But that's a reality. Availability is a that's a real thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and then some bad losses, I'll admit that along the way. So I mean just some home losses here and there. But then as what happens. I think with any team that has that type of chemistry, the desire to get back to where they were, if not trying to get beyond that, it just got better dan along the way. And fortunately this team is playing its best basketball at the right time. The team didn't win more than three games in a row all season long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now.
Speaker 8: Is just rolling.
Speaker 2: Okay, explain to us who Jimmy Butler is. Can you explain who Jimmy Butler is.
Speaker 10: I've tried to figure it out now in four years because I'm wondering. I'm like, is Jimmy complex or is it just super simple? All he ever talks about is one guard somebody. It's very tom Ball Texas right, very very outside of Houston mentality. We're not gonna talk about defensive schemes. We're not gonna talk about rotations, not gonna have about you know, help the helper go hard somebody. And then on the other end he talks about playing the right way, which we've heard forever, but for him, it's not necessarily a thirty plus point night.
Speaker 8: It's what ended up happening as well.
Speaker 10: Six guys in double figures and him looking and feeling out the defense first, helping out other guys build their confidence. So when you need big shots late, guys aren't being called upon to do something they're not comfortable doing. And that's how we rather play. And Dan he doesn't need us. That's the other thing he can't stand.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 10: And it's not like this faux lack of desire to get on a microphone. It is a pure, I think, disdain for having to do it. And that's part of this era. By the way, they're gonna get a lot of this going forward as you and I play the second nine our of our careers.
Speaker 8: I think more and more because of social.
Speaker 10: Media and guy's ability to have when you make forty million dollars a year.
Speaker 8: You can have some staff and you can get out whatever you want.
Speaker 10: So if you want to sell coffee, you don't need to come on to the Dan Patrick Show to sell your coffee.
Speaker 2: Can But is.
Speaker 1: He a tough guy to play with?
Speaker 2: If you look at what happened in Philly, in Minnesota, in Chicago, I mean, he's a Hall of Famer on his fourth team and he plays at a high level. I just wonder what happened with these other stops, and is that going to happen in Miami.
Speaker 10: You can't be tougher than the experience in Miami, simply because there's just too much certainty. Twenty seven years of pat Riley as the president, thirty five years of the same family, the Arison's owning the team.
Speaker 8: Eric Spolstra in his fifteenth season.
Speaker 10: As the head coaches in his twenty seventh season in the organization. I've been a broadcaster for this team for almost twenty years and I'm still not senior, you know. So it's there's just way too much certainty in the organization everywhere around to tougher than what the organization calls for. And I think that's finally a thriving moment for him.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the roster and there's a great quote. Being bad in the NBA is a choice. Talent is everywhere with the right eye, and that is pat Riley. You got Caleb Martin undrafted, Max Strusse undrafted, Gave Vinson undrafted, Duncan Robinson undrafted. You got Bam fourteenth overall, Tyler Hero thirteenth pick, Kevin Love on his last leg. You Donnis Haslam on the bench. I mean, you're looking at this and you're going, it doesn't make sense. I just said, I thought the Celtics have the most talented team left in the playoffs. And then you're watching the second half and you're going, wait, which team was the eighth seed and which team was the you know, one of the best teams in the East. Hard to explain sometimes.
Speaker 10: If you just take that next look under the dermis is that And we've learned this about pat Riley as an executive for almost thirty years now, is that he'd rather have somebody that either one has experience or two has something to prove that he listen, you have to have stars, you have to have guys that are blue ship. And along the way he's had several cats that have been picked rather high, but sometimes he goes gets them from other teams too, and so by trading and using free agency and the buyout market, he doesn't mind. I think what Pat has enjoyed the most. And then this entire front office with Andy Ellisberg and Adam Simon is it's the flexibility on the roster, like don't lock yourself in all the way down to player seventeen. I mean, And they worry about the two ways now at a high level because what they're doing is we'll develop someone first of all, financially sound right locked into a number. We'll develop someone over two to four years, rather than having somebody that has to go in here and then the year three if they're not already a star and people are trying to run you out of town. And that combination has worked. So when you look at this roster, yeah, you still got lottery picks like Bam and uh and Tyler in the mix. But like you said, said, I mean, Jimmy was the last pick in the first round in.
Speaker 2: His draft, Ken Tyler, is there any possibility he could play in the Eastern Conference Finals?
Speaker 10: From a date standpoint, from the press release to the actual date. He could play in game seven. But then you know, it's like you know, back in the day when you used to you know, come down Avon Mountain into the valley there in Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're you're reaching and teaching.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's how it used to work, baby. I mean you're that jab step was sick. Boy.
Speaker 1: You saw it. You saw the understand how a dateon flies?
Speaker 2: You saw.
Speaker 1: Ship Yeah, pree, So no preach.
Speaker 10: Stake, But you can't come in there trying to get you win when you didn't play for a couple of weeks, right, Yeah, And even though you know he's a young fella and he could score on all three levels and he you twenty points a night, you're not.
Speaker 8: Gonna just shove that away. He hasn't done any dribbling or shooting yet.
Speaker 10: The great thing about if there is a great thing about breaking your hand, it is that you can do other stuff, but you're doing it on a bike. You're not doing it at game level. I think if this team is blessed to head to the finals, I think that's more realistic than if there is a Game seven.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you so almost man.
Speaker 10: This is the mere fact that the Miami heat put me back in position, I know, to get Fritz on an email.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to get you Yeah.
Speaker 8: To just dedicate yourself to service the way that.
Speaker 2: You do it. I do, I do serve it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, who's picking out the suits.
Speaker 2: By the way that Craig Seger's leftovers that you're.
Speaker 8: No, you know better than that. I don't.
Speaker 10: I'll spend a great deal of money on anything other than retirement.
Speaker 8: Because I'm gonna be at sea. You understand that I am.
Speaker 2: Oh you are, okay, seaman.
Speaker 10: Yes, i am a man of the sea, and I'm looking forward to the twilight of my life out on the ocean.
Speaker 2: And so I just in a boat, double in a boat, yes, yes, okay, Yeah, I didn't. I didn't know.
Speaker 10: My golf game has not gotten any better over twenty five years. So I turned to the ocean now. But I will spend some.
Speaker 2: Change, okay, at the habitashery.
Speaker 8: And you know better, don't you try.
Speaker 1: To make no, no, no, no, You're bringing it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely you are. You're bringing it.
Speaker 10: Listen, you see where that hairline went. Yeah, So I might as well keep you know, my ind scene.
Speaker 2: If the heat advance, We'll talk to you next week. I can't wait, all right, go back to bed. Jason Jackson Junior the third he's Miami Heat played by Playboss, And I don't know what's going on in that hotel room, no lights on, it was just dark.
Speaker 4: Blair Witch Project that look.
Speaker 5: Light up on its head, scared ye fall.
Speaker 4: That may have been my worst movie experience compared to what I was expecting going in. You know what, remember the one movie Blair Witch Project, for those who don't know, is like this indie scary movie fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Well it was treated as if it was a documentary. Yes, but it was just well done.
Speaker 4: Oh it was. It was well done.
Speaker 1: Oh you didn't like blair Witch at all?
Speaker 4: One of the least scary scary movies I've ever seen. Oh okay, orderline annoying?
Speaker 1: Okay, anybody else have that reaction?
Speaker 3: I thought it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did too.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought it was great.
Speaker 4: Do you think I got too built up?
Speaker 3: Like definitely?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh you can.
Speaker 2: I mean that happens all the time and somebody goes, you got to see it, and then you go, okay, I'll see it.
Speaker 3: It was just so creative too, just the way that they did it, you know, the whole idea of finding these tapes, and it's just unedited. You know, I liked super creative.
Speaker 2: I liked it. I thought it was I didn't see it. I know then, I did not see that. Of course you did.
Speaker 4: It was Blair Witch Project for the cinema.
Speaker 2: Now if it was Selma Blair Witch Project, it's a different story. Like, okay, all right, I'll watch that.
Speaker 3: It was like w H I c h which there you go?
Speaker 5: He no like discovering Yeah, okay, what is that?
Speaker 2: Yeahs Selma Blair. A couple of phone calls here, Let's see Doug in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Doug.
Speaker 2: How are you well?
Speaker 6: This is not why I was calling, but I threw up and got sick after watching the Blair Wisch prov Project in a movie theater. It really I don't know. I was reaching for gramamol most in watching that, but I was. I was calling to give you a hot take on golf. I think it's time that the PGA Championship is no longer considered a major. Maybe you replace it, uh with the TPC and FLO But because when they moved it from the summer, we used to be their identity was it's the last chance of glory? What is its identity now? The Masters it's the course, The US Open, it's the challenge, the British Open, it's the history. The PGA Championship doesn't seem to have an identity, and I just think the fact that we haven't talked about it this week, I think it's time to change it and find a new fourth major.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you dog. Yeah, it's sort of got lost because it used to be at the end of the golf year this summer and you'd have the PGA Championship, like if you didn't win a major, you got one more chance. You'd be the PGA Championship. And we've seen more random winners, i think, with the PGA Championship than we have with the other events. But it's at a great golf course. It's just, you know, maybe gets a little bit lost. NBA Finals, Stanley Cup playoffs going on, there's always football going on, and it's sort of kind of tucked in there.
Speaker 4: Yes, poll, Yeah, The Masters is in April now, the pj is in May, the US Open in June like usual generally, and the British Open is July. PGHB after that, isn't the big problem with the PGA. The title PG Championship sounds very generic and benign. It's not cool. It needs a name, like if you call it the Wannamaker, Is that the trophy? Yeah, if you called it the Wannamaker Open, because it's mysterious.
Speaker 2: What is that about? PGA Championship sounds like it could be the professional like the the teaching pros. Yeah, PGA Professionals of America.
Speaker 4: It needs a cool name.
Speaker 7: Oh no, my son thought the Players Championship is a major because that's actually even a cooler name than the PGA Championship.
Speaker 2: That's that's the fifth majors. They like to say. All right, Shannon in Indiana, Hi, Shannon, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: More than banatt?
Speaker 2: I hope you all have a good day. Yes, we all, thank you? Alright?
Speaker 11: Yeah, with with all this going on.
Speaker 2: And there you go, it's true, Yeah, it is true with all of this going on.
Speaker 3: Thin dot dot Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, what do you think Shannon and Indiana was going to say? There? With all this stuff going on?
Speaker 3: Right, what was he? What was the end of that? And with all this going on?
Speaker 4: What is this? Is the NBA Playoffs? Let's start there.
Speaker 2: It could have been the frost at the PGA, champl right, global warming, something.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it could be, you know, with all this going on, I'm just glad to have you guys doing this show.
Speaker 1: Okay, you guys have gotten.
Speaker 2: Through, got through. Yeah yeah, yeah, yes, time.
Speaker 7: With all this stuff going on, we're not giving any attention to Djokovic losing to that twenty year old for like the second time.
Speaker 5: Maybe you want to get a little tennis in there. Djokovic was upset recently.
Speaker 2: And upset upset that he lost. Yeah, very yeah, very upset. City boy in Lake Tahoe, My city boy.
Speaker 11: Morning, mister Patrick, my city boy, good money, Good morning, do you hear me? Yeah, good morning, first time, long time. I've been listening since when Remember the Mothership used to make you start honoring your commercial breaks way back in the day. Okay, yeah, anyway, talking about the Joker and I thank you were talking about the other day. I had never really followed the Joker too much, and I did without question MVP for this year based on what I've seen him and gets him an MB. I'd like to see what your thoughts.
Speaker 1: Were on that. Well, it's over.
Speaker 2: It was the regular season let's call him my grade a month ago. I mean, he could win the MVP if he wins the NBA Finals, but you know, the voting is already over, and you know, sometimes we'll look at what happens to an MVP when he gets to the playoffs, and therefore Joe Ellenbiid bounds out. You know, this whole what happened with the seventy six ers I find interesting. We'll take a break. I want to talk about this. Daryl Morey, the GM, he was the one who fired Doc Rivers, but Joe Ellenbiid loves Doc Rivers. Do you go to Joel Embiid and say, hey, I'm doing this. Do you go to Joel Embiid and saying what do you think about this? Like the etiquette of talking to a star player? If you're going to make a change. More phone calls coming up. We'll take a break. We're back after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 12: Hey I'm Doug Gottlieb. The podcast is called All Ball. We usually talk all basketball all the time, but it's more about the stories about what made these people love their sport and all the interesting interactions along the way. We talked to coaches, we talked to players, We tell you stories.
Speaker 3: You download it, you listen to it.
Speaker 10: I think you like it.
Speaker 12: Listen to All Ball with Doug Gotlieb on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast. Oh my god, the play of the day.
Speaker 1: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 8: Check this out.
Speaker 10: Three lefts all the shot hockey elevates for three clean?
Speaker 8: Did it about stopping in?
Speaker 10: Shimmy Butler has lost his mind? Thirty four points, two of four from the Land of Milk and Honey.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy of seven ninety the ticket Miami Heat Radio Network. Jason Jackson with the call. Butler finished with thirty five. He scored thirty five or more thirteen times in the playoffs as a member of the Miami Heat. That's one shy of Dwayne Wade's franchise record. That's your play of the day, brought to you by the great folks at MCGO wires, their new hybrid ceramic tire Shine renews old tires by darkening the appearance, adding long lasting high gloss and keeping it shining even when exposed. And honor. Give McGuire's hybrid ceramic tire shin to try McGuire's reflect your passion. Doc Rivers was fired yesterday and Daryl Morey, the Sixers general manager, met with the media yesterday and he talked about moving forward, whose decision it was, and how Joel Embiid took the news that Doc had been fired.
Speaker 13: I think it's natural to be very close with the people in the locker room. He is very close with Coach Rivers. Yeah, he was shocked about the change, and it's my job to help convince him that the new coach is someone that he'll have a great relationship with as well.
Speaker 2: When do you run it by Joe Ellenbiid? Do you run it by him after you've made the decision or before? Do you give me a heads up that you're going to fire Doc Rivers? Do you allow him to have a say in this, because he does love Doc Rivers? At what point, if you're in the front office, do you go to your star player or players and say we're thinking of doing this, because it sounds like Matt Ishbia with the Phoenix Suns at least conferred with Devin Booker and Kevin Durant about firing Manty Williams and that they were okay with this. I don't know what happened in Milwaukee, Mike Budenholzer, but you know these are these are good teams, good situations. And then Doc Rivers, you're going to move on from him? And uh, Daryl Morey said, look, I pulled the trigger. I made the call. I fired Doc Rivers. He was my recommendation, and I decided that we were going to move on from him. But I don't know at what point. And it's a you know, it's a dangerous precedent when you're going to go to somebody and say, hey, what do you think I think if if you're helping the team deferring money, like Tom Brady, it felt like he should have been in at least conversations. Now how many other Patrick mahomes right, A couple of rings deferring money, going to help you out? Do you go to him? When do you go to him? What happens if you say, hey, at some point, we're going to have to release Travis Kelcey. Hey, it just doesn't make sense, or we want to bring in this offensive lineman. What do you think, Like, at what point do you then or do you a at all? Because once again, if you go down that road and you go, hey, we're thinking about or what do you think about doing this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Martin, isn't when.
Speaker 9: You start winning rings is when they start asking you what do you think about this?
Speaker 5: Rather than Hey, I know you're the MVP, but you're just the MVP.
Speaker 2: Well, you know Deshaun Watson that input in Houston after what second year, which was crazy for the coaching search. Remember he was upset that they didn't bring in Eric the enemy and that started the rift or you know, added to the rift between those two. I just think you you know, remember the Packers did they talk to Aaron Rodgers about what he wanted them to do in the draft and then all of a sudden, it's like we're drafting your replacement. You know, It's not like you go, hey, Eric, come here. If Jordan loves available, we're going to take him in the first round. How do you think that conversation would have gone over? Probably not too well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pull it seems like you got to pick the least awkward situation, because if Daryl Morey goes to Joel and be, hey, I just want to give you run this by you. We're thinking about firing Doc Rivers and he goes no, no, no, no, no no no, then you have a real situation if it's awkward. If you give him a heads up, we're firing Doc Rivers in an hour, I'll let you know before the media notes, before anybody knows this is our decision. I want to make sure you're included beforehand, but not no input. Yes, that's less I think that's less dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why is it such a taboo thought of owners and gms having like open communication with players about whether it's the coach being hired or fired, or what players they might bring in or things like that.
Speaker 2: Well, at what age do I bring you into the conversation If you're twenty like Joe Burrow's what twenty five do I bring him into the conversation of this is what we're going to Hey, we're not going to take an offensive lineman, we're going to take your teammate from LSU, or we're not going to take your teammate from LSU. We're going to take an offensive, Lineman. I don't know what that sliding scale is where you go, all right, You've earned the right to have a seat at the big boy table.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would think that you would want someone's input depending on who the player is on their teammates. Can you play with this guy or not? Why does a scout have to say yes, they will play together? Okay, but if I get input, that's different. I still have to make the decision, Like, I'll respect your input, but I have to make you know a decision. I can't give you veto power as a star player. Yeah, I don't know, right well, I mean I feel like some players would have that, like Steph Curry should Steph Curry should have veto power. Hell no, not that dude, In no way. Lebron James absolutely should.
Speaker 4: He actually starts a conversation he called the GM. I'm going to give you a heads up. Here's who I'm bringing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm bringing in Russell Westbrook. Just want to give you a heads up here, Yes, DoD.
Speaker 7: But a sensitive player might have it like, oh, you respect me enough to just kind of include me and looking for my ideas.
Speaker 5: But ultimately you're going to do what you want anyway, so you know.
Speaker 2: We don't want to give you a heads up. But I would also if you're going to ask Joe Burrow, hey, you played against this guy, what do you think of him? Hey, he played on your team at LSU, what do you think? Then I would be crazy not to consider that. I just if you want to Aaron Rodgers and you said, look, we're gonna cut your good buddy David Bokdiari, Aaron Rodgers might fight for him to stay on the roster because he's his buddy, and it might not be the right decision. I remember Michael Jordan when he first started with the Bulls. He wanted to bring in players that management said, no, we're not bringing in Walder Davis.
Speaker 1: Walter Davis is old, he's got bad knees.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Mike wanted to keep Charles Oakley and they're like, no, we're not keeping Charles Oakley. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, but say, say Aaron Rodgers and you go to him and say we're gonna get rid of David Baktieri, and he fights for him, and then they say, well, we're doing it anyway.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gonna be upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Or they could just cut David Bottieri without giving him any heads up whatsoever, and he's going to be upset.
Speaker 2: Well. No, either way, I could give him my heads up that we're going to fire, or we're gonna cut David Bottieri.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's worse.
Speaker 2: I don't run it by you, or I do run it by and then we cut your friend, I.
Speaker 3: Would say, with a guy like Aaron Rodgers, clearly not giving him a heads up is way worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely worse. I would think that star players earn that a heads up. Joel Embiid is probably not too pleased with Daryl Moray for firing Doc Rivers, But that's where Darryl Moury has got to smooth this over and say no, no, we're going to get the right coach for you to take you to the next level. Our two coming up. More phone calls. Update on the PGA Championship